Skip to main content

tv   New Years Eve Live  CNN  December 31, 2011 11:00pm-12:30am PST

11:00 pm
his name in front of me. i'm going to jump off this riser. >> we have a lot of surprises in the hour and a half ahead. a lot of people performing, lady gaga, cee lo green. >> any of you dvring this, this is the one >> what? look it says both no nudity and no swearing. >> that is for you. that is for you. >> no, we know who that is. that is your person. >> you have been swearing all day and so appreciate it. >> and hundreds of thousands here and maybe record crowds, but a it is warm here and in the 40s. >> and yet i am wearing the coat that your mother encouraged me to wear. >> yes, it is faux fur. >> and i want shopping with gloria vanderbilt, and take that seacrest. i'm after you. i see you. >> unlike past years, it feels very warm and like september, and it is like the final moments
11:01 pm
of 2011 -- >> can you set the stage for the chaos in front of us. someone is yelling in spanish, and you have to kiss butt because you said something on david letterman that angered them. >> he is like a $2 whore. >> oh, really? >> a $2 whore? >> oh, really. oh, no, has this been a good year for you? >> yes. if i could give you some of the highlights and everyone is talking about the usual, the kardashian divorce, and the -- >> what? >> and kris humphries if you are watching, i'm single, call me. s some of the personal highlights and i know you have done this, too, but i was actually spanked by one of the little chocolatiers. >> who are the little chocolatiers? >> well, you need to get out more, because there is a show
11:02 pm
about little people who make chocolate. >> that is one of the -- that moment right there? >> yes, a little chocolatier came to my live show and spanked me. you won't see that on any other broadcast. i promise. >> thankfully. thankfully. >> and the nancy grace nip slip. >> she texted me earlier wishing me a happy new year. >> and what did her nipple wish you? >> i like that you put wolf blitzer's head right there. >> and what does wolf drink of choice? manhattan, tom collins or old school? >> we will put the researchers on it. >> and whose face do we put on your nipple when you have the nip slip in 20 minutes. >> so a lot of the people in the crowd tonight. the scene at times square is amazing here and it is like no other place -- >> and not as amazing when i visited you in the summer house and you and i went sunbathing
11:03 pm
and we have a picture of that as well. now, how do you feel about the pale skin? do you embrace it or -- >> i prefer, great. look. wow. you actually brought photos this year. >> what about the scandal? what do you think of the maria shariver going back with arnold. >> okay. we can take down the picture of you and i sunbathing. america can handle the -- >> they can't handle that hotness? >> no, it is that much paleness. >> well, they would if it was poppy harlow. >> you are obsessed with poppy. >> and i know that now we will have a picture of anderson cooper's bed. >> i have a picture of me in anderson cooper's bed. a lot of people want to be there, but i was there. >> kathy spent a weekend in my house in long island and sadly, that is a picture of her in my bed. >> well, tell us what we were doing.
11:04 pm
>> well, sadly i let kathy go for a day before i actually arrived at the house for the weekend, and i sent her the key. and i trusted her and while i was on the air that night on the news, she was texting me photos -- >> naked. >> sprawled out in my house in various compromising positions. >> extremely compromising. >> which didn't want to see. nobody wants to see. >> but your reaction was inappropriate, because it was not get out, and put your clothes op, but it was how is everything going? >> well, at that point i didn't want to make you mad, because i did nont what we you would do. >> this next one i thought would upset you and you were worried about my safety. because this is me on the floor. >> this is one of the low points of my life when you sent me that picture this year. >> i wanted you the think i was dead and i wanted to know if you cared. >> i figured that somebody took the picture and it was okay. and we have reporters all over the world, an country covering
11:05 pm
the new year's celebrations, and isha sesay is among the revelers and some of who have been here since early in the morning. and brooke baldwin is in nashville, tennessee, and her celebrations revolve around music, and now we have -- >> this is a highlight. >> we have a highlight of a giant shoe giant triple e filled with sushi which is the tradition in key west and john will show us later on. >> and this is my favorite one and when we get edgy. gary tuchman, unlike you have a genuine correspondent, and he does the real work and he does no modeling at all. and straight up reporting. >> gary tuchman is in central park with the running shoes on and along with his daughter, samantha, another new year's tradition. >> and how many years are we going to say that.
11:06 pm
>> he and his daughter is going to do the midnight run which is a tradition here in new york. and we will show you in egypt how they celebrated new year's eve and london and around the world. >> that is edgy, but especially the reporters and their families running in central park. way to go, cooper. that is nice. >> but what you missed is justin bieber singing "let it be." >> i am traumatized and justin bieber with a skull cap and scarf, because he is chilly and then carlos santana gave him some weed and i don't know, i didn't know because i didn't have the glasses on. >> and he was thinner than i anticipated. >> and he got the heck out of dodge, and boom, in and out and the same with pit bull who has impregnated seven women since the song. >> you cannot say that. that is not true. that is just not true. >> allegedly, and i believe that there is a baby mama on the riser with me.
11:07 pm
>> okay. all right. so this is how it is going to be, isn't it? >> by the way, i am brain teasers for you. >> what? >> i have brain teasers for you. because i know you are smart. my first one is, did you cut one? >> how is that a brain teaser? >> i know it cracks me up, but it is not mature. did you cut one, and sorry, i'm only funny, because he cut one. >> that is not funny. >> okay. all right. >> let's check in with the crowd down there, isha sesay. >> yes, anderson, they are excited to be here, because it is the ultimate street party and they come from all over the world. they come from spain, the netherlands and mexico and people from all around the united states, and they come here to share in the very unique atmosphere, and of course, to see the ball drop at midnight, and usher in the new year. i have been talking to them, and someone said to me, this is a
11:08 pm
bucket list item, being here in new york's times square, and no other place to be. this is the place they wanted to come and just share all of the festivities, and just really soak in the very unique atmosphere. so it is absolutely fantastic down here. they are dancing, and they have the balloons and they are just making a lot of noise, but we are having a great time and keep checking in was. >> i like that. >> i like that isha said that americans are here. and no new yorker worth their salt would not be here. and it is sweet that people with denmark are here. >> and h i am warm, would you help me out of this. >> it looks intricate, because it has pulleys and -- >> you won't help to undress me? aren't we going to talk about my fancy dress. also worn by -- >> madonna. >> i'm practically madonna.
11:09 pm
>> is your hair real? >> well, some of it is real and some of it is magic. don't pull too hard. because my whole personality could unravel. okay. your turn. >> what? >> what size are those jeans, did you shrink? i get it, you are hot. and nose are a little tight in the nether region. >> if you want to join us on twitter, you use @cnnnye. and our producer is on the riser and doing a behind the scenes look, and so less than an hour to go and a lot to see. what is on your bucket list and isha said for a lot of people, this is on their bucket list. >> this is my bucket list. i want to see you mixing it up with people, and sitting on the laps and see you drunk?
11:10 pm
>> that is one of your goals. >> because you are so socially awkward and uncomfortable and for you to be around civilians, and you could be a model. >> i'm a man of the people. >> and it would be better if you have a high collar and you are like a royal. look at this. >> it is true. that is true. >> and he has to go to the safe place. >> it is totally true. >> where are you ticklish. >> i am going to do the whole show like this. i wore a heavy sweater, so if you punch me, it won't hurt. >> that is an emotional name. >> and it needs to be kevlar for you. >> and i want a couple name. like brangelina. >> and something like -- >> can i watch your balls drop? >> what?
11:11 pm
>> isn't that a double entendre? >> well -- >> i think it is a triple. >> we will be right back with more music from times square. let's go to vegas. alright, let's do it. let's do it, let's go to vegas. vegas baby! maybe we should head back to the dealership first?
11:12 pm
vegas! no, this is a test drive. vegas! [ male announcer ] it's practically yours. but we still need your signature. volkswagen sign then drive is back. and it's never been easier to get a jetta. that's the power of german engineering. get zero first month's payment, zero down, zero security deposit and zero due at signing on any new volkswagen. visit vwdealer.com. and zero due at signing on any new volkswagen. what is it about taking a first step that we find so compelling? is it because taking a step represents hope? or triumph? at genworth, we believe in taking small steps every day to keep your promises, protect what matters, and prepare for a secure financial future. no matter where you want to go, one step at a time is the only way to get there. go to genworth.com/promises. did you hear sam... ...got promoted to director? so 12 seconds ago. we should get him a present. thanks for the gift basket. you're welcome. you're welcome. did you see hr just sent out new...
11:13 pm
...office rules? cause you're currently in violation of 6 of them. oh yeah, baby? ...and 7. did you guys hear that fred is leaving? so 30 seconds ago. [ noisemakers blow ] [ both ] we'll miss you! oh, facecake! there's some leftover cake. [ male announcer ] the new htc vivid. stay a step ahead with at&t 4g lte, with speeds up to 10x faster than 3g. ♪ it's me? alright emma, i know it's not your favorite but it's time for your medicine, okay? you ready? one, two, three.
11:14 pm
[ both ] ♪ emma, emma bo-bemma ♪ banana-fana-fo-femma ♪ fee-fi-fo-femma ♪ em-ma very good sweety, how do you feel? good. yeah? you did a really good job, okay? [ female announcer ] to nurses everywhere, thank you, from johnson & johnson. >> i am matthew chance in london and these are the final few seconds of 2011. you can hear them, the crowd are counting down. p hundreds of thousands of people have gathered here to see in the new year, and here it is! the crowd have gone wild. the fireworks are coming off big ben and the houses of parliament. this is a spectacular london welcome to 2012. that was new year's in london the site of the 2012
11:15 pm
olympic games and we are live in times square with kathy griffin. >> i went to buckingham palace with camilla and charles. >> why would they allow you there? >> because joan rivers totally rolls that way, and little known thing about joan rivers besides being bad you know what, the first night he didn't know who i was but the second night i was on graham bensing and then he said i should be afraid of you. >> well, there is growing excitement here in times square. okay. whatever, go ahead. >> let's be honest, people don't know that you do no prep for this. you don't care about this. >> no, i like this very much. >> i start writing jokes in july and last night was the first night he let me go to the house in new york, and what i will tell you is what is in his guest
11:16 pm
bathroom, because it is shame based. >> what is in the guest bathroom. >> on the walls. >> what? i don't know. some pictures. >> come on, keeping them honest. >> what? >> your collection of toy soldiers. >> yes, i have had it from when i was a little kid. >> and it is major league fetish and if i had moved one lieutenant or whatever, i would have been out of there. >> and they are antique. he said, this is my collection, don't touch them. >> no, i did not say that. >> i know when you go to the bathroom, you play more and you are always the general who won. you know i was dying to like blow on them and have them go over, but i knew you would freak out. >> well, it is a little thing, no, i don't need to explain myself to you.
11:17 pm
>> yes, you do, because you have a bizarre toy soldier collection in your bathroom that the world needs to know about. >> from when i was a kid. >> because you kept them. and you keep them perfectly aligned. >> what is the best new year's eve you have had? >> with you. >> i started to do this because i hated new year's eve in new york city and you can't find a cab and so much pressure to have a good time. >> well, that is relatable in the economy that you had to do this crappy job because you could not find a taxi. >> no, that is not what i e said at all because i do not enjoy new year's eve, but doing this i love to do this because i love the atmosphere. >> we should do this for arbor day. >> what is arbor day? >> and what is happening right now? >> that is the village people over there. i don't know what is going on. >> i think it is serious i think it is the village people. you don't know what you will see behind us. >> at the stroke of midnight the giant waterford crystal -- >> why can't you say my balls
11:18 pm
are going to drop. >> it is one ball. all right. let's move on along from that joke. i know you have been writing that one from april. >> you know how i dig any teeth into a joke like a dog with a bone and that is my favorites. >> and so, yeah, we all know what is going to happen -- >> did you just cut one? >> let's move on from that joke as well. >> you said earlier, cancel that, because kids love that joke, and they think it is super funny. >> and kids shouldn't watch. >> that is right. go to bed. especially you with the crew cuts. go to bed. >> and what prep have you done? >> none whatsoever. >> and here, what three dictators died this year? >> what three dictators died this year. kim jong-il, and moammar gadhafi and that is the only two. >> no. >> no.
11:19 pm
after the break, we will tell you what the third one is. >> there is not a third. the leader of yemen got badly injured, but he is still alive. >> what is his name? >> saleh. anyway, i'm right. so -- >> what is the capital of yemen? >> what is the capital of yemen? >> saana. >> i miss bill o'reilly right now, and i miss shawn hannity. we are very opposed. >> what is one of the favorite events -- >> you doing the republican debate. >> you did? >> yes, i'm a big cnn junkie and i have a crush on jack cafferty. >> you are torn between the love of nap si grace and jane velez-mitchell. >> i love jane velez-mitchell, because she is out raged and nancy grace is a crime stopper and dancer. tonight, anderson is going to announce that he is joining the cast of "dancing with the stars."
11:20 pm
>> i have to interrupt, because there is a commotion around the ball and let's zoom into that and see what it is. >> happy new year to all you little bugs down there in times square! cold and lots of folks from out of town, just like i like it. i hope you all are enjoying yourself, because i am taking over this party right now, 2012 is going to be the year of the goblin, the green goblin. i'm launching the www, world wide web network and i need an anchor man, so i have chosen anderson cooper. ooh, yeah, that's right.
11:21 pm
keeping them honest cooper is going to be my guy. but first, he'll have to go through a little process i call goblinization. [ laughter ] it is not quite the stroke of midnight but i don't like to wait around especially when there is partying to be done, and what do you say that we play drop the ball. ooh. >> okay. all of times square is frozen right now with fear and everybody is freaked out so we will figure something out, because apparently anderson cooper has been abducted and not
11:22 pm
by me this time, but we will take a short break and get to the bottom of this, because people are frightened. [ laughter ] it was not until the university of phoenix that i was able to work full-time, be a mom, and go to school. the opportunits that i had at the university of phoenix, dealing wh profesonals teaching things that they were doing every day, got me to where i am today. i'm mayor cherie wood, i'm responsible for the largest urban renewal project in utah, and i am a phoenix. [ male announcer ] find your program at phoenix.edu.
11:23 pm
11:24 pm
well, hello, all you freaks down there in times square, and all you freaks out in tv land. i got the scar of new year's eve
11:25 pm
right here. that's right, the man with the head of hair that you would love to run your fingers through, and here he is, the one, the only anderson cooper! how are you doing, anderson? you having a good time? >> do i look like i'm having a good time? what are you doing? >> i'm about to make you a star, pretty boy. i'm going to turn you into the first freak newscaster so that you can anchor my newly incorporated wwwfn. >> wwfn? >> world wide freak network. you are going to be bigger than blitzer. >> bigger than wolf blitzer? >> no, that is crazy. i'm not going the work for your stupid network. >> please? >> pretty please. >> no. >> you can be my co-anchor. >> i have to deal with kathy griffin, and she is bad enough. >> come on! >> are you insane? >> do i look insane? >> yeah, yes, you kind of do. >> but only in the best sense.
11:26 pm
>> and no, cnn would sue you for breach of contract, and you, too. >> i am really scared. >> well, you should be scared goblin, because itis spidy time. >> sorry, it took me so long, but times square is busy. >> and i'm not afraid of you spider-man. >> you have to get new lines. >> i will see you news boy and you will be singing a different tune when you are beautiful like me. >> spider-man, would you mind bringing me up a little bit. >> no problem. you, too, goblin. >> thanks, spider-man, i don't
11:27 pm
care what they say about you in the newspapers, because i think that you are a real new york hero. >> well, get back to your place. >> well, it ain't over. no more party in new york. >> not if i can help it gob lynn. -- not if i can help it goblin. ♪ [ laughter ] ♪ ♪
11:28 pm
[ laughter ] >> i'm giving you the slow clap and i'm giving you the end of every high school football movie where the guy with one leg comes out to get a touchdown. i don't know -- and you know, america, this is what happens when i take a day off. what -- okay. i'm trying to follow the storyline. are you -- have you been abducted by a goblin? have you stopped mod snlg. >> i don't know. i really don't know. >> i am going to say it to your face like, what? are you really abducted? >> i was not really abducted by a goblin. >> it is like the john wolf face-off? >> they said it could have been you and they said kathy griffin. >> it would hurt my vagina which is not going to happen at this point. are you here and safe?
11:29 pm
>> at this point -- >> are you -- is spider-man going to -- do you think that you will ever live this down and don't act like putting your arm around me makes it better, because -- >> i want to zip up my sweater, and i am going to start rocking. >> i thought that you were going the have a shooting pain up the left arm. >> so what have been some of the big moments for you -- >> no, the coughing does not make it better. >> i am a little sick. >> is that the integrity coming up? and now it is gone. wow. i can't wait to see the number for "chorus line" or les mis? come on, maybe one of the "rock of ages" kids could come over. >> and i'm the voice of the narrator in a show. >> yes, when i was on my own show called "kathy griffin wants a tony." >> did you get one? >> no, but -- >> i like how you are wearing your coat like a european person, and i sort of imagining you walking around like, who is that original -- >> i am glad i bug you.
11:30 pm
i know, i can't decide if i am hot or cold. >> and you are like the guy from "godfather" walking around the street. there you are. >> and that is my signed picture and the touch of greatness. >> are you going to go through the whole show with this european -- and why don't you tie a sweater around your neck, and -- >> i don't know what will happen tonight. >> where is the sign? >> i am going to loosen up a little bit. >> where is the sign? please, remember. >> and it is one button and it is not nudity and i know, no swearing, oh, should i do the bit at midnight how you have to -- i'm just going to model. >> i want to thank all of the folks at "spider-man" the green goblin and letting me fly around the theater. >> do you have the amount of jokes that i am trying to keep back.
11:31 pm
there i am flying around the theater and they let me fly three times. >> and how is your -- >> my what? >> infection. >> did you get a yeast infection? >> no. look at how good i landed. look at at how good i was. i'm a dork. yes, yes. >> that is the life because everywhere you go people clap like you are being potty trained like, yeah, good job, buddy. i wish john zarrella was here to make you feel better. >> and john zarrella is down there for a unique american tradition, and john, how is the scene down there? >> anderson, and kathy, it is amped up here, and sushi arrived on the stage a few moments ago and there she is up in the shoe. now, she is wearing a period dress this year that of course she made herself, because in 2012 is the 100th anniversary of henry flagler's rail road to connect the mainland with key west being completed so sushi is wearing the dress, and you should see the crowd with 50,000 people here. hey, where are you from?
11:32 pm
>> new brunswick, canada. >> is this a little bizarre? >> different. exactly. >> yes, little different. >> a little different here, but it is great. >> where are you from? >> canada. >> you having a good time? >> i am. it is great. >> are you having a good time? >> great time. >> where are you from? >> florida. >> okay. good. florida. so what have you got? a big mountain of people and probably more than they have ever had before, all up and down duvall street, and down at the wharf, there is a three-masted schooner when the pirate winch drops and of course, what would you expect from key west and wonderful night, anderson, and terrific weather and sushi 30 minutes away. anderson, and kathy. >> all right. thank you, john, very much.
11:33 pm
my favorite year was the year that sushi was lowered and there was a technical malfunction, and they -- >> yes, it was in danger. >> and we took a live shot that she was crawling on the roof to the bar. >> that is the life of a drag queen, because in key west, there is moisture and your hair frizzes, and i can't wait to go to tulsa or wichita. >> from nashville. >> wow. >> you probably played tulsa an awful lot. >> you darn right, i played tulsa, because they, if if the check clears, i will be there and i'm on tour next week in grand prairie, texas, and new orleans and -- >> where in new orleans? >> a beautiful iconic theater. >> that is why i love new orleans. >> do you love the gumbo. >> i love everything about new orleans. >> i wanted to say that i was reading anderson's tweets today that i think that were so boring, and they were like, i have to get up now, because i
11:34 pm
have to do a show later. >> well, we can't all throw obscenities around and be crazy. >> why, because i asked you at midnight, what were you -- >> i don't know. and another quick break -- >> do you need rest? >> no i was nervously trying to protect myself. and we are on twitter and if you want to join the conversation go to @cnnnye. and something is trending, and people get exciting to trend. we are trending. >> we are trending? well, take the clothes off, and let's really trend. >> tweet the questions and answer some of them if we can. you can follow me @anderson cooper or @kathy griffin, and we will have a behind the scenes look, and we will have kelly ripa is going to be with us? wow. >> this show isn't half bad afterall. this new at&t 4g lte is fast.
11:35 pm
did you hear sam... ...got promoted to director? so 12 seconds ago. we should get him a present. thanks for the gift basket. you're welcome. you're welcome. did you see hr just sent out new... ...office rules? cause you're currently in violation of 6 of them. oh yeah, baby? ...and 7. did you guys hear that fred is leaving? so 30 seconds ago. [ noisemakers blow ] [ both ] we'll miss you! oh, facecake! there's some leftover cake. [ male announcer ] the new htc vivid. stay a step ahead with at&t 4g lte, with speeds up to 10x faster than 3g.
11:36 pm
♪ witwill be giving awayfaster passafree copies of the alcoholism & addiction cure. to get yours, go to ssagesmalibubook.com.
11:37 pm
>> hello anderson, and kathy, this is is kermit the frog here and i wish i could be with you both here tonight and i'm taking miss piggy to the party and she is the guest of honor and i'm the only other guest so wish me luck.
11:38 pm
but anyway, on behalf of miss piggy and me and the whole cast of the new movie, "the muppets" happy holidays and a new year to everyone, and kathy, miss piggy said to tell you that you can borrow the gown, but not the tiara, it is hers. happy new year. >> i like kermit the frog. >> who doesn't like kermit the frog. i was in the latest muppet movie. >> i didn't know that. >> i had a scene with ricky gervais. >> hi anderson and kathy, how are you doing? happy new year. >> so nice of you to call in. >> i would not miss it, and it is so funny, because first hayed to follow the green goblin and kermit the frog so i am going to change my whole outfit. >> and the goblin -- >> and i want to on behalf of everyone in america, if dressed up in green is wrong, i don't want to be right.
11:39 pm
>> where are you celebrating, kelly? >> we are here with jessica and jerry seinfeld who are saying hello in colorado. and lola and sasha wanted to mention their names live on tv. >> are they minors? >> yes, that means they are going to watch the ball drop. >> yes, they are going to watch the ball drop. >> well, that is nice. we wish them both a happy new year to all of the kids. >> i just want anderson to say it. >> have you been skiing? or what is the wish for the new year? >> i think more of the same. i think that i just feel very fortunate, very lucky, and we have had a great vacation and snowshoeing and hiking and just enjoying the beauty and the nature of the mountains out
11:40 pm
here, and i wish that for you and for you kathy just like the same for everybody. >> have you been to times square? >> yes, i have when i was in my early, early 20s, but since we have had kids we fake new year's because it is a few hours early but now that we are on mountain time, we can watch the ball drop, and -- >> so you used to lie to them that it was new year's? >> i think that you should lie to your children as much as possible. >> we would pretend that it was midnight at 8:00 p.m. >> that is important. >> that is great. that is a very good idea. clever idea. >> absolutely. it is one of the tenets of raising your children is to lie to them, and tell them box wine is milk. >> well, it is, kelly, we wish
11:41 pm
you the best and to you and mark and to the family and jerry and jessica and their kids as well. we wish you the best of the new year and happiness and health. >> so much fun watching you. happy new year's guys. bye. >> good. >> and let's just talk about that. they are so much more famous than we are, and they have a famous coven. >> like witches? >> yes, they are casting a spell on us. >> no, it sounds glamorous. >> they can buy and sell you 15 times over. and i could be be suze orman and i don't have to be with you counting her money. a real celebrity. >> a real celebrity, well. >> well, if you were -- >> i would not want to be anywhere else in the world other than you. >> and the minute we go to commercial break, you will start to text them and say, wish i were with them kathy griffin. >> and i would not want to be with anyone else, and they have a jet standing by and i hope to get by there -- >> i thought you said that they
11:42 pm
had the judds standing by. >> well, the judds are on later on. >> and did you watch the judds on the own network? >> no. >> it is a struggle about the mother and the daughter -- >> hasn't it gone on for years that struggle? >> and afeel like, and don't get me starts op the o'neals or shania twain or not why. shania twain has asked why for so long, it is time she asked why not. >> and brooke is out in nashville and how is the big celebration down there in nashville? >> have you seen the judds? >> well, it is huge and we don't have the green goblin or spider-man but i could not ring in nashville without my cowboy hat, my cowboy boots and we are learning how to do it southern style here in nashville. happy new year almost, and we are 90 minutes away from new years and a bash on broadway and nice enough to have us back. take a look at the crowds and we have a photographer up top from the hard rock cafe and shooting 40,000 people, and they are
11:43 pm
anticipating, and you are talking about the amazing weather in new york and not to make you jealous, but a wonderful 60 degrees. let me hop off of the riser and this is kathy by the way and trying to figure out what a southern new year's is, and how do you ring it in southern style? >> we bring it in with a bash. look at the people around, and that is how we bring it in in nashville with live music and entertainment. >> you guys are going to ring it in eastern time and we will come back and roll it in southern style midnight central. back up to you all. >> all right. brooke, thank you very much, and quick thank you to the amazing overhead view of times square. >> you didn't catch me videotaping anything at all. >> and we are grateful for the help in making it happen. we will take a quick break and the coverage continues here in times square.
11:44 pm
>> i want to tell kelly ripka and seinfeld that i can be there in just a few minutes. t... and more. if you replace 3 tablespoons of sugar a day with splenda®, you'll save 100 calories a day. that could help you lose up to 10 pounds in a year. and now get even more with splenda® essentials, the only line of sweeteners with a small boost of fiber, or antioxidants, or b vitamins in every packet. just another reason why you get more... when you sweeten with splenda®. ♪ on my journey across america,a®. i've learned that when you ask someone in texas if they want "big" savings on car insurance, it's a bit like asking if they want a big hat... ...'scuse me... ...or a big steak... ...or big hair... i think we have our answer. geico.
11:45 pm
fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. man on tv: ...rbis and 36 homers. swings at the first pitch and fouls it deep back into the stands. [ding] [fans whirring] announcer: chill raw and prepared foods promptly. one in 6 americans will get sick from food poisoning this year. check your steps at foodsafety.gov.
11:46 pm
and welcome back. we are live in times square, and it is getting close to time of about 12 minutes left until the new year. we are very excited here and we will be bringing you all of the festivities here.
11:47 pm
oh my lord! what are you kidding me? >> you saw lady gaga. >> are you freaking kidding me? i swear i'm literally talking to you guys the and i turn around. >> why can't we do -- >> where's the sign. where's the sign? >> it is no new, look it. >> geez. no, look at the sign. no. jesus. good lord. seriously. >> lady gaga performance is over, and i was inspired. >> you have a rocking body by the way. >> and assuming at the commercial break or we are going live to hong kong. >> i love that you are standing here just as if. >> primping and completely dressed. >> oh, goodness, oh, yes, the crowd is excited the see you, wow. so, yeah, yes. >> this is where you have to band and cover. >> i would like to cover you up very much. >> so you are saying that you want me to get dressed because you are a big square who won't let me have any fun.
11:48 pm
>> no, as long as it does not go any farther than that, we are fine, i think. >> okay. fine, i will put my outfit on. okay. >> oh, good gosh. so, yeah. >> your turn. >> no, i'm just going to -- >> come on. >> it is weird because, let me -- i have -- we hang out together late at night, and this is literally what she is, and this is a picture of what kathy eats. she eats doughnuts all night long and stays up all night long. >> and my figure. >> that is you late at night wolfing down a doughnut. >> that is a doughnut run, and it is -- >> i am told on the phone that we have somebody -- >> i won't get dressed unless you dress me. >> you don't have your mic in? >> no. david gergen is joining me live on the phone from an undisclosed
11:49 pm
location. >> hello, anderson. glad to see you and kathy there, and i'm waiting for the ball to drop to see what kathy does next. >> i know that the clothes have drop and i don't know what is going to drop next. david, kathy has a crush on you. >> is there a mrs. gergen? >> yes, we are happily in the caribbean with my brother and his wife. >> with his wife? >> i am standing in my underwear in times square. and you are telling me that he has a mrs. gergen. >> and you are there with anderson, and he can handle it. oh, my goodness. >> not fine. not fine. so, david, have you ever been -- >> talk about a white house, david gergen. >> you ever been to times square on new year's eve? >> not for a long, long time. we tried to come there one year, and it is almost impossible to
11:50 pm
get in there unless you are kathy griffin. >> i know, well, kathy -- >> well, i'm doing the walk on shame on a date i didn't have with david gergen. >> all right. david gergen we wish you the best. thank you for calling and the best to your wife. >> you better hope that ball is going to drop. >> and i have one wish, david gergen, and maybe two. >> no, no, don't ask. david, have a happy new year's and thanks for calling in. let's check in with gary tuchman who is live in -- >> i'm in my underwear, you pervert. >> put your clothes on, because his daughter is with him. gary and his daughter, samantha is with you, and you are going to participate in the midnight run and what is going to go on? >> well, we are dropping, too in
11:51 pm
the jogging clothes, too, because the runners are going to run the 33rd annual central park run, and this is who i run with, my daughter samantha and she started when she was 11, and we won't win the race, but we hope to finish it. and would you rather hang out with your friends on new year's? >> no, ki always be with my friends, but we have a tradition. >> that is right. we have a great tradition, and all of the people here dressed in costumes and hear to party, but a different party than the one in times square, and this is a great story of christopher stevens who runs the the triathlon and he runs in the four-mile race today and then what happens tomorrow? >> well, i come here at 10:00 to ride my bicycle all of the way out to coney island. >> which is 20 miles. >> and then i jump into the atlanta wick the polar bears. >> you do the polar bear swim, and you swim and bike and run and you do the real triathlons? >> yes, and those are swim, bike, run, but for this, it is run, bike, swim, which is more sense.
11:52 pm
>> and anderson, he is an administrative law judge, and he was on "jeopardy" just like you, anderson. and you had decent hair, too, because i saw you on "jeopardy", too, but either way, we are going to run this race and we hope we finish and back to you. >> gary, thank you very much. and kathy griffin, i like how you got dressed. we will check in with gary at the stroke of midnight and it is one of the traditions in new york. >> i am afraid that the commercial next year is going t say, i'm just glad that you are getting dressed and then back from the race to central park. >> and we are minutes away from the ball going to drop, and we will take a quick break and we will have justin bieber singing when the ball drops the john lennon classic. >> he is our guest?
11:53 pm
[ sniffs ] i have a cold. [ sniffs ] i took dayquil but my nose is still runny. [ male announcer ] truth is, dayquil doesn't treat that. really? [ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus fights your worst cold symptoms, plus it relieves your runny nose. [ deep breath] awesome. [ male announcer ] yes, it is. that's the cold truth!
11:54 pm
11:55 pm
and the fireworks in sydney, australia with fireworks.
11:56 pm
>> i was just there and i did two nights in the sydney opera house. >> i have not been there and it is on the bucket list. >> you and the bucket list, are you okay? >> yes. >> i'm super proud of myself. >> for what, stripping down? >> yes. i'm giddy with excitement now. >> and cee lo green is going to perform and then lady gaga is going to press the button that lowers the ball. let's listen in a little bit. ♪ it is easy if you try ♪ no hell below us ♪ above us only sky ♪ imagine all the people ♪ living for today
11:57 pm
♪ imagine there's no pain ♪ it isn't hard to do ♪ nothing to kill or die for ♪ and all we hear is the truth ♪ imagine all of the people ♪ living life in peace ♪ you may say i'm a dreamer ♪ but i'm not the only one ♪ but i hope someday you'll join us and the world will be as one
11:58 pm
♪ ♪ imagine all the vision ♪ i wonder if you can ♪ no need for hunger ♪ a brotherhood of man ♪ imagine all of the people ♪ sharing all the world ♪ you may say i'm a dreamer ♪ but i'm not the only one ♪ i hope some day you will join us and the world will live ♪ ♪ as one
11:59 pm
happy new year's, new york city! >> i am mike bloomberg, the mayor of new york beginning to watch the ball starting to lower and one minute left in 2011. >> you know her, because you interviewed her in europe, i believe. >> she is a lot of fun. >> and a lot of fun, lady gaga. >> are you looking forward to 2012, kathy griffin? >> yes, i am. >> wait a minute. you know what is weird? >> we are 36 seconds away, and let's just listen in to the crowd now as they start to lower
12:00 am
-- >> i am picturing you in that lady gaga mask, and i don't know why. >> 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1! ♪ ♪ ♪
12:01 am
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ start spreading the news ♪ i'm leaving today ♪ i want to be a part of it ♪ new york, new york ♪ these vagabond shoes ♪ are longing to stray ♪ right through the very heard of it ♪ ♪ new york, new york -- ♪ i want to wake up in a city that did you want sleep ♪
12:02 am
♪ and find i'm king of the hill ♪ ♪ top of the heap ♪ these little town blues ♪ are melting away ♪ i'll make a brand new start of it ♪ ♪ in old new york ♪ if i can make it there ♪ i'll make it anywhere ♪ it's up to you, new york ♪ new york ♪ ♪ i'm going to make a brand new start of it in old new york ♪ ♪ and if i can make it there
12:03 am
♪ i'm going to make it anywhere ♪ ♪ it's up to you, new york, new york ♪ ♪ new york [ cheers and applause ]
12:04 am
♪ >> and it is now 2012. >> well, let's keep it real. what really happens is you and i turn around and wish we could be the popular kids because lady gaga is making out with mayor bloomburg. and then you know who, i'm not going to say his name, but it rhymes with byan baecrest. >> we had dinner with him the other night. wasn't that great? >> and i picked up the tab.
12:05 am
>> no, he picked up the tab. >> you picked up the tab. >> i did pick up the tab. he should have picked up the tab. he has more money than anybody. >> thank you. he's rik dick louse. it's over for hick. >> did he say he's a member of al kwie da? >> no, he did not. >> there's nothing like being in times square right now. >> but the lady gaga was incredible. >> lady gaga looked amazing. >> kissed the mayor on the mouth. it's scandal. it was like this. anderson not so much tongue. he wasn't ready. first he took my clothes off, practically. stripped me down to my underwear. >> i want to know how uncomfortable i just looked? >> how what? >> how uncomfortable i just looked? >> very. by the way, mayor bloomburg, is it me or did he grab lady gaga? >> i think you're making that up.
12:06 am
>> let's just take a look at some of the sights and the sounds in times square right now. >> i'm wishing you a very kardashian new year. >> a kardashian new year. ♪ >> by the way, could this be more of a bummer? it's dead people singing. it's four dead people singing. >> times square clears out about now and people start conveniently leaving. let's check with the crowd. a lot of folks still right around where we are. isra, happy new year? >> happy new year, anderson. happy new year, cathy. it has been quite a party down here on the streets.
12:07 am
we still have some crowds. they're still cheering. and as we usher in 2012, let me hear from this lady. she had a good time. it was worth the wait. some of these people got here at 4:00 p.m. in the afternoon. did you have a good time here? >> yes. happy new year to everyone! >> and what about you? did you enjoy -- what was so good about being here? >> i just liked the ball. it was so excited. and the concerts is always amazing. >> reporter: so was it worth it? was it worth being here all the time? >> once in a lifetime opportunity. >> reporter: you hear that a lot from people. they say it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. they've seen it on the tele. or the tele as we say in england. they want to see it for themselves. times square may be clearing out, but they are still here, still soaking up the atmosphere and having a really great time. we're going to carry on showing you some of the sights, some of the sounds.
12:08 am
as people just celebrate being in times square, being in new york. there's no other place like it. it really is a truly unique party. a really unique atmosphere. and kathy, i'm going to send it back to you. >> i don't know if i should point this out, but what's with the nivea hats? >> now it's nivea new year's. >> what? >> why would you -- >> i was just asking you if it was a k-y new years. >> no, nivea is the product. >> do you want me to name other product sns. >> no, i want you to stop with that. but we actually have moscow, how they celebrated newier's in moscow. are you excited about that? >> yes. >> let's take a look at new year's in moscow. we'll be right back.
12:09 am
>> i feel blessed. and this is moscow's red square where thousands of people have gathered to celebrate 2012 for the russian people, for their families, this is the most important, the biggest holiday of the year. so they are just seconds away from starting the biggest annual party. this crowd is getting bigger and louder in this city. unlike so many others around the world, they do not traditionally count down to midnight. they are getting louder. and any second now, we're going to see fireworks blasting over saint basil's cathedral. let's just watch and listen to this crowd. there it is. [ cheers and applause ] >> so, anderson, the fireworks are exploding. this crowd has erupted. happy new year from the russian capital.
12:10 am
12:11 am
anderson, we're here in cairo's square. the epicenter of the revolution. tonight, thousands of people have gathered. this is part celebration, part reflection of the tumultuous year that was. they're singing. there's candle light vigils for those who lost their lives during the revolution. many people here want to show the world that the revolution is still on going. and that despite the challenges they face, they are hopeful for a cheerful and what they're calling a liberated 2012. it's just now passed midnight here in cairo. the crowd is cheering. happy new year, anderson.
12:12 am
back to you. >> and it was new year's at the scene in cairo. happy new year. a little champagne? >> that's right. cheers to you, anderson. >> don't drink it all. >> i don't drink. >> what do you think lindsey lohan is doing right now? >> i don't know, what do you think she's doing? >> a lot of this. she's going to do her one-nighter in dubai. she got offered a lot of money -- >> what's a one-nighter in dubai? >> oh my goodness. i can't do this anymore. you know when you get $200 thousand to open a nightclub? >> is that how the kardashians make money? >> that's why chris humphries is an innocent victim of blind justice. >> she decided not to do it. >> it sounds so shady, a one-nighter in dubai. >> why can't we do stuff like
12:13 am
that? >> you went to end up in a one-nighter in dubai? >> i think you've had a one-night stand in dubai. >> i've had one-night stands as often as possible. i'm all for it. you know, safe, don't get me wrong, kids. i'm a role model. bottom's up. i'm really fake drinking. >> i know, and you're even fake going, hmmmm. >> when is the last time you had a one-nighter? >> i'm too old for that sort of thing. >> do you want to do it tonight? >> no. >> there might be something special if your drink, anderson. if there's a powdery substance -- >> i know how this night is going to end for you. it's going to end for you walking the streets of new york looking for donuts. that's how it's going to end. >> tell me what happened last year. last year, he came back to my hotel, he got bored in 15 min
12:14 am
uts, acted like he got a text and then left. how could he not be his most exciting friend. >> i had to find a cab or a car. it was tough. >> he was like yeah, let's go party in your room. >> i believe it was more like, oh, please, come back, partying and hang out in my room. we'll order pizza and donuts! this one doesn't agree. how long do i have before this year? seven or eight minutes? >> i don't know. i'm for -- >> by the way, we're the only ones left standing. >> where do you want to go after this? >> where we always end up, in your hotel room. new york is tough on new year's eve. >> can we at least get a pizza and eat something? is a pizza too much of a commitment for you because we'll have to wait 40 minutes for it. >> we're actually on tv. this is going to be broadcast. >> oh, yes. >> let's check in with john in key west, florida. john, did all go according to plan there? >> yeah, anderson. there's just something about a
12:15 am
drag queen, in a red stiletto that makes new year's eve special. it went off without a hitch. we have video to show you as she descended in the shoe. no hiccups, no hang ups this year. the shoe came down flawlessly. sushi came down flawlessly and is in one piece. sushi, this is 15 years now you've been doing this? >> it's been 15 year ins the shoe. but you know what, i am so proud that we're celebrating our one hundredth anniversary. >> and your dress is -- was on fire, right? >> yeah. >> and you did, you made this yourself? >> i made it myself. but you know what i want to say that anderson and kathy, kathy, i love you. honey, i met you at cher's last concert in las vegas. it was so nice to you to look at me and say hey, that's my sushi. and anderson, i said this ten years ago on the air. you are the sexiest man on television news.
12:16 am
>> she said that to you. sushi, you said that to me, before. >> i know. >> sushi is awesome. >> sushi, congratulations on your 15th anniversary. joe, how many years have you been doing this event? >> ten years now, anderson. this is ten years we've bp doing this. and joey has been running this and putting on the show. >> i hope to be next to anderson one day. >> exactly. exactly. and a shout out to randy's mom in dell ray, right, randy? >> thanks, john. hi, everybody. happy new year. >> happy new year from here in key west. and back to you. we're going to keep partying here, anderson, kathy. >> all right, john, thanks. one of my favorite moments with john was looking up earlier and seeing your camera man doing
12:17 am
love shots earlier. it was one of my favorite moments. >> while you're bragging about doing it for ten years, still as smooth. >> that's what i like about it. >> that's the whole night. >> we're not at seacrest productions. we don't have a big team. we are a hearty band of folks. >> we were at dinner with ryan seacrest and he was on a spy mission. i believe he's trying to kill me. i mean, he's going to assassinate me. i was so angry. >> he doesn't care about you. he's one. she's one. >> you think these people want to be your friend. >> i don't think they care one way or the other. she really thinks they're trying to kill her. >> we're not still on tv, are we? >> we're still on tv. let's check in with brook baldwin in nashville. how is it there? >> hey, happy birthday. happy new year. happy new year to all of you on the east coast. but we're just getting started here in nashville. how do i know? i don't know if you can hear
12:18 am
them over me. lynrd skynrd has just taken the stage. we're just getting going. big difference. you all saw the ball drop way up there behind me. that's the music note. this is the music note. this is the bash on broadway here in nashville. we have huge surprises coming. we're going to take over the show in 15 minutes, we're going to ring in the new year with the music note and all kinds of fireworks and a live performance by a megaband. we're interrupting that live show to bring it to you live here on cnn. kathy, anderson, back to you in new york. >> thank you very much. i didn't know that your child is here. >> excuse me? >> that your child is here. >> if i have even one egg left, i'll be upset. oh, you mean my love child with justin bieber? yes, i have a secret, america, and globe. i have a baby because i was born to raise children and teach them how to swear from a young age.
12:19 am
really infancy and blas feem. >> so, for you, what has been a highlight of new yore's eve tonight? >> beside meeting david gergen over the phone? >> kelly. >> and you stripped. >> yes. >> how does this usually work? i do something and he turns away and i see the phone up like this. >> this is the time i get to get e-mails from management -- >> when cnn issues the apology, they're on their own. you better not throw me under the buss. >> yes, there's already a lot of e-mails. so why do you think ryan seacrest is trying to kill you? >> he started out as a harmless d.j. and now he's taken over the world. we have no choice. it's not unlike a prison situation, i feel. and we have been emotionally water boarded by him and it's got to end at some point. and what's weird is that's what he was saying to me earlier in the car.
12:20 am
>> i know, i have nothing against ryan seacrest. he seems like a very nice guy and he's achieved a lot. >> why don't you tell them about the e-mail you got from him today. [ laughter ] [ laughter ] >> oh, cheese. talking about it. >> go ahead. >> so. see, i've had one glass of champagne. i have to fake drink like you. >> i gotchya. >> it was the e-mail extreme. >> i'll bring up this morning. >> you're going to throw out of morgan? >> yes, you raise me a seacrest, i'll give you a morgan. >> you just tell me, i would like to -- you just give me the word. and i will unleash. >> we have more coming up.
12:21 am
12:22 am
12:23 am
[clucking] [clucking] [ding] [clucking] announcer: separate raw meats from other foods by using different cutting boards. 3,000 americans will die from food poisoning this year. keep your family safer. check your steps at foodsafety.gov. those were the wisconsin badgers cheering. >> yeah, i've been called a wisconsin badger in the sack. >> sweetie, if that's all you've been called. >> it's a good night for me. >> are we going to sweetie already? i've been half naked. >> this is the time of the night when trouble happens.
12:24 am
the crowds are crowd day, you start yelling at them. >> we've got to just keep it going. >> all right. we're going to keep the train moving. >> but, by the way, kathy -- let me just tell you a little thing i've learned about this little lady here. she claims to be, you know, a woman of the people and all of this stuff. she actually referenced -- we were talking about cars one time -- she actually referenced mercedes as what did you call it? a mid level car? >> i was with your very own jack grey and he had rented a mercedes -- >> how can you rent a mercedes. >> it cost a lot of money and when i had to drive it, i said i haven't driven a mid level car in a while. >> what do you drive? >> i have a maserati? >> are you serious? >> yes, what do you have? >> i've got a bmw. >> bmw? starter car. people still drive bmws? >> how can you afford a maserati?
12:25 am
if you're doing two shows a night in wichita. >> believe me, that car pays for itself. >> you've got a will the of jokes i know you've worked on. >> we're going to go to the interpreter for the hearing impaired. all right. let's play -- this is just -- >> that's what you've been working on. that's what you've got? no, no, no, it's good. >> let's play wolf. here's the first one. i'm always listening and watching. my ear is like a boom mic? >> i don't believe he said that. >> no, that was kathy griffin. on behalf of eminem and everyone else, thank you. >> i believe he did say that. >> he did. >> i've never done botox in my life. >> that was said by your new favorite best friend ryan seacrest. >> i have no idea. he's just 30 years old. >> 37.
12:26 am
he's probably something with a good hack. look, i don't believe magic bullet. all right. i feel like we're friends because i was sort of near her. you wouldn't know it by looking at me, but i grew up with soul train. >> wolf blitzer. he was in a band called the monkeys before there was an actual monkeys band. >> did you used to watch the monkeys? >> yes. >> when we sleep together, can we have our names above like they did in the monkeys? >> i don't remember that on the monkeys. >> oh, boy. do you know which topic they cover in the very special kendra? >> i've watched a lot of episodes. and i've actually met kendra. >> i thought he was going to -- i read books. i don't watch kendra. >> well, i read books, as well. and i actually met kendra in toronto once. but it doesn't matter. no one cares.
12:27 am
>> i kind of want to know what you talked to kendra about. she's a play mate and a center fold. >> i know she giggles a lot. >> you and kendra have more in common than you think. oh, okay, so i watch cnn all of the time. >> yes. >> how can you explain -- i've just had it. i'm not going to take anymore justice. i've had it because i'm up to here with this kind of nonsense. she talks like a morning zoo d.j. i love her. >> and you watch her? >> nancy grace. i watch dr. drew, all of the real shows. can you explain why one of the sponsors of this show is christian mingle in. >> i don't know. >> can i hear your profile? i know you're on christian mingle. >> i don't know what that is. >> it's a dating web site for christians and people that love christians and want to sleep with christians. but specifically, they want to have sex. >> okay, let's move on. >> like christian sex, which is nothing sadder.
12:28 am
uh-oh, somebody just took off their headset. that's always a bad sign when somebody in an authority position just goes like this. i'm out. >> okay, i'm waiting. bring it on. >> i wanted to congratulate you for being the cast member. >> ouch. >> that hurts a little. have you been on celebrity apprentice? >> i've been part of the challenges. >> no, that's not sad. >> i did one with liza, which is fancy. >> okay. all right. >> i would like you to say happy new year in five foreign languages. >> i cannot do that. >> number two -- >> i used to be able to say no problem in five languages. >> no problemo, really? >> how is your ear do? >> my ear do? i don't speak ear do. >> can you spell abadabon? what historic thing happened? >> the capture of bin laden and the killing of bin laden. >> can you spell it, though? >> a-v -- no one cares. >> i know.
12:29 am
>> what do you think of the jesse james break up? >> i have no opinion. i saw him on a tv show and i have to say he seemed like kind of a jerk. >> do you think the picture -- >> he was saying things about -- >> who was the woman he was involved with? sandra bullock? he was like dropping all of these stupt things. he was saying she's an actress, isn't she? >> no, he did bad interviews. >> he seems like not a nice guy. >> so a nazi is off the list? >> i don't judge -- i'm not going to -- that's an easy attack. >> did you see the virgin diaries on tlc? can we do an impression? do you remember this kiss? >> yes, i do. that's how it was. >> that's what i'm saying. the virgins who have diaries. >> yes. >> and it was extremely -- >> we've got some twitter expressions. some questions on facebook and

109 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on