Skip to main content
Internet Archive's 25th Anniversary Logo

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  June 27, 2012 12:00am-1:00am PDT

12:00 am
i'm chew on an open mic. that's worse than with an open mouth. i love burgers. but i do feel sick for a day after eating them. the olympics is an institution that's just about selling brands that are bad for your body. what about tomorrow? ann curry in the line of fire. >> you know where you should point the finger? >> that's what matt lauer said on this show. now i'll ask a woman who's been exactly where ann curry is. deborah norville. plus, exclusive, george zimmerman's attorney talks to me about the video you haven't seen. also, the making of an american hero. pat tillman from football star to soldier to casualty of friendly fire. now his window marie tells her story of love and loss. >> i didn't want to live. the thought of living without him was something i couldn't bear. >> and remembering amy winehouse. never before seen photographs of the little girl who became a
12:01 am
tragic super star. i'll ask her father, mitch, about living without amy. this is "piers morgan tonight." good evening. tonight's big story, blaming ann curry. she may be just days away now from losing her job. tonight the hollywood reporter says she'll be replaced by savannah guthrie. it comes as "today" is losing ground to its rival "good morning america." my next guest has been in a similar position. deborah norville replaced an anchor on "today." which, by the way, is covering the drama. deborah, nobody probably on earth knows more about what ann curry is going through than you.
12:02 am
what are your feelings? >> i think personally what ann's probably going through is she is determined to show up for work every day, do the great job she always has been. i suspect she is reminding herself of the things they're not saying. they're saying she wasn't comfortable to the viewers on the air. well, what is she going to do about that? nobody said i did a lousy job. i won an emmy when i was on the "today" show. my problem is i was younger and blonder than my predecessor. a lot of the harping is just that. what happens when you are a high profile figure. is it going to be enough to force her to go into another position? but it doesn't mean the end of her career. i think that's the important thing she personally should recognize.
12:03 am
she's got a great future ahead of her. this is maybe a pothole in the road of her career. >> very strange kind of scenario. it wasn't like she was poached from somewhere else and parachuted into the "today" show. it's a strange scenario, isn't it, deborah? i co-hosted the fourth hour for a couple of weeks with hoda. she couldn't have been more kind, generous, selfless. incredibly hard working. i watched her report. she's a great journalist. everyone there loves her. meredith vieira left and she went in and you just assumed it would work. because why wouldn't it? what do you think has gone wrong for her? >> i don't think you can lay the blame squarely on ann's shoulders. i think there's a big shift going on in television. if you look at the measurement we have that's valid and that is the ratings of morning television, the "today" show a couple years ago had 1.24 million viewers in the first
12:04 am
quarter of the year in a certain demographic. that's dropped dramatically. dvd has come in. "good morning america" has made some changes. cbs news has revamped their show. there are good alteratives on cable at the same time of day. just because they've selected that option, does that mean they've consciously said we don't want to watch ann? i think the answer, in all fairness, to ann and to everyone who works in television is no. it wasn't that they ran from ann but they saw other things they wanted to sample. >> what most people are saying is the chemistry between her and the co-anchor, matt lauer, who signed a huge new deal there, just didn't quite work -- >> that chemistry thing is interesting, piers, because you're absolutely right. you can't predict what's going to happen in the science experiment of putting two people next to one another. one of the things that's interesting about television, as a medium itself, it's a cool
12:05 am
medium. and ann is a very elegant and a very thoughtful person. which, you know, she's not like this on the air. it may be that her naturally thoughtful and probing demeanor coupled with the cool medium of television made for a situation where she didn't appear to be comfortable when, in fact, she's dang good at what she does. and i know she felt as comfortable sitting next to matt on the desk as she did sitting on the floor cross legged doing a puzzle at home. >> matt was interviewed by donny deutsch who was standing in for me. let's just watch. >> the biggest heart in broadcasting. incredibly talented. but, again, feels, cares, is concerned about other people more than anyone i've met.
12:06 am
>> kind of what everyone says about ann curry. the reason i think it's more than just an industry issue is the "today" show is a bit like "the tonight show" in the morning, isn't it? and these stars, matt lauer, meredith vieira. you when you did it. >> right. >> you become, for the period that you're sitting there, part of millions of americans lives >> and -- >> they don't want to be threatened by too much change. the key question i have for you, deborah, is this, do you think it was sexist that ann was singled out for the difficulty in that relationship with matt? would it have been fairer to say, as he has said, look, it may be my fault? >> he's not losing his job so i
12:07 am
don't think anybody would agree with him when he says that. you had a similar situation. here you had three guys about whom a lot of reporting was done. you know, the tug-of-war going
12:08 am
no, but it's a much better story. what's the one scene you can remember when i say "dynasty"? it's alexis and crystal fighting in the fountain. that kind of story line really goes over very well. what it's legitimate or not, it sells. it does sell newspapers. and it does sell magazines. >> ann curry herself gave an interview to "ladies home journal" and said this. it's hard not to take the criticism personally. when people say negative things or speculate, you can't help but feel hurt. i think about the people who watch. i want to feel i haven't dropped the ball when it comes to them. it's really about the viewer. clearly, the viewers, for whatever reason, have been voting with their feet. they've been migrating away from the "today" show -- >> piers, let me correct you, not in huge numbers. i think they're shifting away. are they going to shift back? i don't think you can say there's been a stampede away
12:09 am
from the "today" show. she speaks to anyone who has ever felt like they've been marginalized in their job. somehow things beyond their control were impacting their ability to make a difference. because i was there. you're good at what you do. the smarts that you've got aren't going to go away. take a moment to think about what it is that made you passionate about the career that you still have. grab it with both hands. you will have many more exciting adventures in your future that will far outnumber the great experiences you've had in your past up to this moment on the "today" show. >> one last question. her likely replacement is savannah guthrie who's been
12:10 am
anchoring the 9:00 hour. is she the answer, do you think, to whatever problems? >> i think -- whatever problems, that's the trouble. who knows what the answer is? i think savannah's a tremendous journalist. she's delightful. she clearly is someone that the rest of the staff likes very much. it's not a question of do your teammates like you. it's how does it work when you put it all together and you make this stew called morning television. it remains to be seen. i think all of us thought that ann was going to be a great hit too. so, you know, my 50 cents is worth probably less than that. but she'll be tremendous. there's great things coming ahead for her. the morning show will be there. whoever is sitting there will be anchoring it. viewers will come. viewers will watch. they will come back and sample again.
12:11 am
>> deborah norville, thank you very much indeed for joining me. >> my pleasure. hollywood writer and director nora efron has died today at age 71. "sleepless in seattle." "when harry met sally." here's a quintessential nora efron moment. starring billy crystal and meg ryan. >> i love that you get cold when it's 79 degrees out. i love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like i'm nuts. and i love that you are the last person i want to talk to before i go to sleep at night. and it's not because i'm lonely and it's not because it's new year's eve. i came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. >> you see. that is just like you, harry. you say things like that and you make it impossible for me to hate you.
12:12 am
>> nora efron also wrote several best-sellers including "heartburn." she was suffering from cancer. a sad day for anyone who likes great writing and great movies. coming up next, new revelations about the man who killed trayvon martin. his attorney is here exclusively. only in america, a health care plan we can all support. a doctor who charges every patient exactly $5. what's with you? trouble with a car insurance claim.
12:13 am
[ voice of dennis ] switch to allstate. their claim service is so good, now it's guaranteed. [ normal voice ] so i can trust 'em. unlike randy. are you in good hands? unlike randy. ♪ hello...rings ♪ what the... what the... what the... ♪ ♪ are you seein' this? ♪ uh-huh... uh-huh... uh-huh... ♪ ♪ it kinda makes me miss the days when we ♪ ♪ used to rock the microphone ♪ back when our credit score couldn't get us a micro-loan ♪ ♪ so light it up! ♪ even better than we did before ♪ ♪ yeah prep yourself america we're back for more ♪ ♪ our look is slacker chic and our sound is hardcore ♪ ♪ and we're here to drop a rhyme about free-credit-score ♪ ♪ i'm singing free-credit-score-dot-com ♪ ♪ dot-com narrator: offer applies with enrollment in freecreditscore.com.
12:14 am
12:15 am
-- back of his head, butterfly -- >> this is new video, george zimmerman, the day after he shot trayvon martin. right now, want to bring in george zimmerman's attorney, mark o'meara. the significance of this video is what as far as you're concerned? >> well, again, it's part of getting out all the discovery that we have to the public and just get it out there so we can all review it.
12:16 am
last four minutes that are now being viewed by a lot of people just show george identifying his injuies on video. >> do you believe that the video proves that he had injuries consistent with a life or death battle? >> well, that's truly going to be a decision to be made by the judge or by the jury when they look at this case. because the whole issue is whether or not he had reasonable fear of great bodily injury. certainly those videos speak for themselves as far as the extent of injuries, but that will be up to the fact finder. >> there has been a whole load of other material. including the unredacted report requesting an arrest warrant for lead investigator chris who has been a significant part of this. i want to go through these carefully with you. in the request for an arrest warrant, he says this, investigative findings show that george michael zimmerman had at least two opportunities to speak with trayvon benjamin martin. on at least two occasion, george zimmerman failed to introduce himself. the clear implication being that if he had done, the about being threatened. do you accept that? >> well, i understand his position. i respect it as the law enforcement officer who was involved and has his own opinion concerning it. like any monday morning quarterbacking, we can look back and see a dozen different ways this could have turned out differently. of course, we can go back in time, if he wasn't going to target. the fact finders need to look at this case upon what did ha >> just little bruising there. the >> the reason that is important i think, mark o'meara, is this lead investigator, chris sirino, and we'll come to what happened
12:17 am
to him in a moment, because that in itself is fascinating. one, his actions, george zimmerman's, are inconsistent with those a person who has stated he was in fear of another subject. investigative findings show the physical injuries displayed by george zimmerman are, quote, marginally consistent with a life threatening violent episode as described by him. suppose that the first one i would say is a negative for you and your defense. the second one you could argue marginally consistent, means that it's going to be a debatable subject. it is open to conjecture, isn't it? in other words, these wounds could or could not show that he was in a life or death battle. >> sure, i don't want to get into a battle with investigator sirino's report. his suggestion that it's marginally consistent, again, is up for review. will also make that determination, whether or not those injuries give rise to a reasonable belief in george's mind that he was a victim of
12:18 am
great bodily injury or potential death and his reaction to it. >> this lead investigator, chris sirino, wanted to charge your client with manslaughter. and he's expected to be a witness in the trial. later, after this batch of info is released, sanford police department announced he had voluntarily been reassigned to the patrol division. what do you make of what is >> just little bruising there. there's a cut here. >> the swelling went down. >> my wife is an rn student so she went to work. >> the reason that is important i think, mark o'meara, is this lead investigator, chris sirino,
12:19 am
and we'll come to what happened to him in a moment, because that in itself is fascinating. one, his actions, george zimmerman's, are inconsistent with those a person who has stated he was in fear of another subject. investigative findings show the physical injuries displayed by george zimmerman are, quote, marginally consistent with a life threatening violent episode as described by him. suppose that the first one i would say is a negative for you and your defense. the second one you could argue marginally consistent, means that it's going to be a debatable subject. it is open to conjecture, isn't it? in other words, these wounds could or could not show that he was in a life or death battle. >> sure, i don't want to get into a battle with investigator sirino's report. his suggestion that it's marginally consistent, again, is up for review. will also make that determination, whether or not those injuries give rise to a reasonable belief in george's mind that he was a victim of great bodily injury or potential death and his reaction to it. >> this lead investigator, chris sirino, wanted to charge your client with manslaughter. and he's expected to be a witness in the trial. later, after this batch of info is released, sanford police department announced he had voluntarily been reassigned to
12:20 am
the patrol division. what do you make of what is going on here with this guy? because clearly he's significant. clearly he's probably going to be a key witness here. what has been happening to him behind the scenes? >> i would have to be -- it would be pure conjecture on my part. i've tried not to do this throughout the case. he's going to be best witness to ask why he's not there any longer what decision he made if it was in fact voluntary or a fallout from this case. i truly don't have much insight on that and would rather save that for a courtroom anyway. >> do you feel instinctively, when you herd it was a murder charge, did you feel the real debate, or to be over a manslaughter charge, that whatever it was, it wasn't murder? >> well, think i shared with you, i was the nonlawyer in this case, before i got involved in it. having had a lot of second degree murder cases, i was curious to see where evidence of >> i would have to be -- it would be pure conjecture on my part. i've tried not to do this throughout the case. he's going to be best witness to ask why he's not there any longer what decision he made if it was in fact voluntary or a fallout from this case. i truly don't have much insight on that and would rather save that for a courtroom anyway. >> do you feel instinctively, when you herd it was a murder charge, did you feel the real debate, or to be over a manslaughter charge, that
12:21 am
whatever it was, it wasn't murder? >> well, think i shared with you, i was the nonlawyer in this case, before i got involved in it. having had a lot of second degree murder cases, i was curious to see where evidence of second degree would come from. those questions are still there for me and we'll just have to see how the rest of the discovery comes out. >> the next bond hearing is set for friday. do you expect george zimmerman to be granted bond? >> i believe under the law he is entitled to add bond. even though there was a misstep
12:22 am
earlier on. i don't believe that rises to the level where it's suggesting there's a flight risk because that's not been proven or suggested. there's been no evidence i don't believe to suggest he is a danger to his community. those are the two primary standards a judge should consider. it is truly my hope judge lester would let him back out on bond so he can continue to assist me in getting ready for trial. >> mark o'mara, thank you very much for joining me, i appreciate it. coming up, amy winehouse's father. talks about what he's doing now to make sure she's never forgotten. [ male announcer ] eligible for medicare? that's a good thing, but it doesn't cover everything. only about 80% of your part b medical expenses.
12:23 am
the rest is up to you. so consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like all standardized medicare supplement plans, they pick up some of what medicare doesn't pay. and save you up to thousands of dollars in out-of-pocket costs. call today to request a free decision guide to help you better understand what medicare is all about. and which aarp medicare supplement plan works best for you. with these types of plans, you'll be able to visit any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients... plus, there are no networks, and you'll never need a referral to see a specialist. there's a range of plans to choose from, too. and they all travel with you. anywhere in the country. join the millions who have already enrolled in the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp, an organization serving the needs of people 50 and over for generations... and provided by unitedhealthcare insurance company,
12:24 am
which has over 30 years of experience behind it. call today. remember, medicare supplement insurance helps cover some of what medicare doesn't pay -- expenses that could really add up. these kinds of plans could save you up to thousands in out-of-pocket costs... you'll be able choose any doctor who accepts medicare patients. and you never need referrals. so don't wait. with all the good years ahead, look for the experience and commitment to go the distance with you. call now to request your free decision guide. this easy-to-understand guide will answer some of your questions, and help you find the aarp medicare supplement plan that's right for you.
12:25 am
12:26 am
never before seen pictures of amy winehouse as a child. amy had died at the age of 27. her father mitch's new book. he joins me on the show now. i love the cover. it's a beautiful image. it has her famous tattoo on her left arm, "daddy's girl." that's very much the theme of the book. you had an extraordinarily close relationship with her. how has the year been for you? how cathartic was writing the book? >> one of the reasons i chose to write the book was to help me with my personal recovery. i think to a certain extent it really has helped me. also those few weeks after amy died, there was rumors that she committed suicide. of course, none of those were true. this is another reason i chose to write the book. to kind of set the record straight. >> there's lots of extraordinary detail in the book. stuff that we hadn't seen before. the running theme is this had with her demons. would you think that's a fair assessment, that she just in the end was undone by those demons? >> she was troubled with those demons for a long time. when we spoke the last time in august, you know, i told you then she'd been clear of drugs for the best part of three years before she passed away. of course nobody believed me at the time. she was also dealing with
12:27 am
alcoholism. 5 1/2 weeks were spent sober. she was at the point of moving towards a full sobriety. we were very hopeful for the future. >> one of the reasons i chose to write the book was to help me with my personal recovery. i think to a certain extent it really has helped me. also those few weeks after amy died, there was rumors that she committed suicide. of course, none of those were true. this is another reason i chose to write the book. to kind of set the record straight. >> there's lots of extraordinary detail in the book. stuff that we hadn't seen before. the running theme is this constant battle i guess that amy had with her demons. would you think that's a fair assessment, that she just in the end was undone by those demons? >> she was troubled with those demons for a long time. when we spoke the last time in august, you know, i told you then she'd been clear of drugs for the best part of three years before she passed away. of course nobody believed me at the time.
12:28 am
she was also dealing with alcoholism. 5 1/2 weeks were spent sober. she was at the point of moving towards a full sobriety. we were very hopeful for the future. she was on that point of making a step towards total abstinence. we were hopeful, very hopeful, for the future. >> you sort of held your tongue a little bit about the last time about blake, who many people blame for amy's chronic drug problems while they were going on. in the book, you come out with this line about the fact that "back to black" a huge selling album, which was of course mainly about blake, you say, it occur to me recently one of the biggest selling uk albums of the 21st century so far is all about the biggest low life that god ever put breath into. >> you left a little bit out there. i know the part you're referring to. >> what's the bit i left out? >> i can't say on air. that's right, ki say that. it's true. amy was besotted with blake. his way of showing how much he
12:29 am
loved her was to, in his own words, he introduced her to >> i can't say on air. that's right, ki say that. it's true. amy was besotted with blake. his way of showing how much he loved her was to, in his own words, he introduced her to class-a drugs and she took to it like a duck to water. he then further said he ruined something beautiful. they're his words, not mine. of course i don't blame blake for amy's death. that was just a terribly unfortunate accident. but he has to hold -- he has to be responsible for the fact that he introduced her to class-a drugs. whether she would have found her way to class-a drugs without him, you know, who knows. he stood up and said it was him. so that's who we point the finger at. not for her death though. >> has he ever apologized to you?
12:30 am
>> no. he's been in prison since amy's passed away anyway for another offense. he hasn't ryed to get in touch with me at all, no. >> important to note all the profits are going to amy winehouse foundation. it's obviously something very close to your heart. it's a great gesture you've done that. since we spoke again, whitney houston died. that was of a drug related death. amy we've established didn't die in the end from drugs.
12:31 am
it was the alcohol that killed her. when you heard what happened to whitney houston, what went through your mind? >> we were in l.a. for the grammys. when we heard the news, we were successful musical star in the modern era, do they bring a very particular stress do you think? >> it's difficult to say, piers. you would think so when you mention those three names. of course you're not mentioning the hundreds other names that don't have a problem with drugs or alcohol. i'm tempted to say that it does but i'm not so sure that it does. >> well, it's a very moving book, mitch.
12:32 am
i think everyone as a parent should read this in case they ever see signs of their child perhaps getting into the world of drugs, of alcohol, whatever, of addiction. generally, it is is illness. not something that should be taken lightly. i was struck in the end by the words of tony bennett on the back. amy winehouse was a rare artist. her father mitch shared with amy his love of jazz and the popular standard. that in the end i'm sure is how you would like her to be best remembered. is just this phenomenal talent. >> she was an incredible talent. also with the work that we're doing with the foundation. we're creating another legacy for amy by helping young people both here -- our first project in the u.s. is done in new orleans. we're creating some after school clubhouses.
12:33 am
that's also part of her legacy. amy's creating the chances for these young people and her music of course. so we're very excited about the future. it's just a shame amy isn't here to share it with us. >> yeah, it certainly is. amy, my daughter. it goes on sale now. i wish you all the very best of it. >> god bless you, see you soon. >> mitch winehouse. coming up, pat tillman gave up his pro football career to enlist after 9/11. now marie tillman tells me about the man who she loved and lost. bill, an identity thief who stole mary's identity, took over her bank accounts and stole her hard-earned money. now meet jack. after 40 years, he finally saved enough to enjoy retirement.
12:34 am
angie, the waitress at jack's favorite diner, is also enjoying his retirement. with just a little information, she's opened up a credit line, draining the equity in jack's home. unfortunately, millions of americans just like you learn all it may take is a little misplaced information to wreak havoc on your life. this is identity theft, and no one helps stop it better than lifelock. see, ordinary credit monitoring services tell you after your identity has been stolen. they may take up to 60 days to alert you-- too late for jack. lifelock has the most comprehensive identity theft protection available. if mary had lifelock's bank account alerts, she may have been notified in time to help stop it. if jack had lifelock's 24/7 proactive protection, he could have been alerted by phone or e-mail as soon as they noticed an attack on their network, before it was too late. lifelock has the most comprehensive identity theft protection available, guarding your social security number, your money, your credit, even the equity in your home. while identity theft can't be completely stopped, no one works
12:35 am
harder to protect you than lifelock. you even get a $1 million service guarantee. that's security no one can beat. you have so much to protect and nothing to lose when you call lifelock right now and get 60 days of identity theft protection risk free-- that's right, 60 days risk free-- use promo code "not me". order now and get this document shredder to keep sensitive documents out of the wrong hands-- a $29 value, free. [click-click] [♪...]
12:36 am
12:37 am
pat tillman was an all-american hero. a pro football star who gave it all up to enlist in the army just months after 9/11. his life ended in afghanistan less than two years later. the army first claimed he was killed in enemy ambush. later learned his death was really the result of friendly fire. now pat tillman's wife marie tells her story in this book. marie tillman joins me now. you didn't say anything for a very, very long time. what changed your mind? why did you feel this was the time to do the book? >> you know, really, the book came about from years of meeting people along my journey and really hearing from other people their stories of loss and difficulty in finding that, you
12:38 am
know, maybe my story could be helpful to others, so that was really what prompted me to write the book. >> i remember it vividly back in britain as being this extraordinary story, this guy who made the ultimate sacrifice. more than many did. must seem like still just a horrible dream gone wrong. a nightmare that came out of such a wonderful start. >> yeah. i mean, it's definitely a huge loss. i think it was a huge loss for me and for the rest of his family. you know, it's difficult. >> tell me about the first time you met him. >> we actually grew up together. so, you know, i can't exactly remember the first time we met because as kids growing up in a small town together, it was, you know, sort of like we were always around each other. >> what kind of guy was he? >> he was, you know, one of those people who just really stood out.
12:39 am
he definitely stood up for what he believes in. and, you know, was very adventurous and loved to climb trees and play sports and do all sorts of things. >> he had the situation where he could have taken a big contract worth $3 million, $4 million. but 9/11 had happened. and he felt this huge pressure on his conscience it seems to me from everything i've heard of him that he had to go to the front line. he wanted to serve his country. why did he feel so strongly, do you think, that he had to do that? >> i think after 9/11, like a lot of people, pat really sort of took a step back and
12:40 am
reprioritized what was important to him in his life. and he loves playing football. at that point in time, it became less important and he really felt called to serve his country. >> how did you honestly feel as he began to in his head feel this calling? what were you thinking? >> it's a difficult thing for families, you know. i think that the service person goes overseas and they have, you know, their own set of difficulties. for the family that's left behind, it is hard. you know, we talked through all the pros and cons and really got to a place where we both felt like it was a good decision. >> did you try to persuade him not to to start with? >> no, didn't try to persuade him not to. it was one of those things -- it was very actually in line with what he was. i think that having known each other for such a long time, growing up together, it made sense to me. i knew it was something that was deep inside him that he really felt was important to do. >> and he felt strongly that the iraq war wasn't particularly justified, he wasn't happy with the iraq war. tell me about that. it's something that many soldiers felt, know. >> i think that that's one of the difficult things about joining the service. you don't necessarily know where
12:41 am
you're going to go. a lot of them struggle with are we in the right place and are we doing the right thing. but i also think, you know, there is a reality and the knowledge when you sign up, you are signing up and sort of giving yourself to that service. >> you were at work april 22nd, 2004. and you tell the story very movingly. just having a normal day. >> uh-huh. >> and then you're told there are people here to see you. you had already been told about the color scheme of the people the army sent, if there's been a death or an injury. there were different colored clothes. so you could tell immediately when you went down and saw these
12:42 am
four people standing there that he had been killed. >> you know, i think it's one of those things where just everything stops. and certainly the first thing i noticed or remember thinking
12:43 am
what are they wearing, what are they wearing, and seeing the gentlemen that came to see me were in their dress uniforms. i knew instantly that he had been killed. and, really, i don't think i even heard a word that was said because it was just kind of try to process all of that. >> you then spent the day -- you called your mother. and she just said "i'm coming." >> you know, i just instinctively call my parents first. you know, i am fortunate to have a wonderful support network in my family. and i knew that that would be her response. i knew that if i called her that
12:44 am
they would just get on a plane and come up to be with me. which is exactly what they did. >> the more difficult for you it seem was the one to pat's mother. it must be the hardest thing to tell a mother her handsome young son had been killed in batle. >> it was the most difficult you know, it was a pr story that was positive in that sense. him being killed by friendly fire is a hugely negative story for the american military. there's nothing particularly heroic about that for anybody involved. how high do you think it went, the deceit? >> you know, i'm not sure. i think that within the military certainly friendly fire is something that is not talked about that much. and in some respects i wish that it was. i think in some situations people feel it's not as honorable.
12:45 am
as far as i'm concerned, you know, people are still putting their lives on the line and it's a part of war. i do think the families of the soldiers that are serving deserve to know the truth about their deaths. i think that's something that's just a common decency. >> he left a "just in case" letter for you. included the lines, through the years, i've asked a great deal of you. therefore, it should surprise you little i have another favor to ask. i ask that you live. when you read that, what went through your mind? >> well, when i originally read it, it was something that was very difficult because at that time i didn't want to live. you know, here he was gone. he was my best friend. he was someone i had been with for most of my life.
12:46 am
and the thought of living without him was something i couldn't bear. but, really, i came to realize that was a gift. that he had given to me. to sort of urge me forward. >> do you think he would have instinctively second-guessed how you would feel in that scenario? >> you know, i don't know if that's why he wrote it or if it was just something that he felt like he wanted to leave something comforting and -- to be able to say, you know, this is what i wish for you if i don't return. >> let's take another breakpy i want to talk about the congressional inquiries. [ male announcer ] don't miss red lobster's four course seafood feast,
12:47 am
just $14.99. start with soup, salad and cheddar bay biscuits then choose one of 7 entrees plus dessert! four perfect courses, just $14.99. we believe this narrative meineke's personal pricing on brakes.
12:48 am
12:49 am
i tell mike what i can spend. i do my best to make that work. we're driving safely. and sue saved money on brakes. now that's personal pricing.
12:50 am
we believe this narrative 52was intended to deceive the family but more importantly to deceive the american public. >> the government violated its most basic responsibility. sensational details and stories were invented. evidence was destroyed. witness statements were doctored. the tillman family wants to know how all of this could have happened. >> it's from the house operational and government
12:51 am
>> i know that i would not engage in a cover-up. i know that no one in the white house suggested such a thing to me. i know that the gentlemen sitting next to me are men of enormous integrity and would not participate in something like that, so, of course, there's a difference between error and cover-up. >> i regret that the army did not do their -- do their duty here and follow their own policy which we've talked about, but they did not. >> donald rumsfeld and then general myers. you say in the book that while rumsfeld was testifying, you say every fiber in my body was crying bs. why did you feel that so strongly? >> it was just a really difficult experience to be there
12:52 am
and to sit in the back of the room and listen to all of this play out. and incredibly frustrating. i felt like certainly pat's mom had put a ton of energy and work into getting to that place, and it just felt like we still weren't hearing the truth and that people weren't being held accountable. >> it just seems so incomprehensible to anybody looking to the outside, that somebody as high profile as pat tillman, the circumstances of her death would not race straight to the top. i find that hard to believe. you must have found that hard to believe. i think a lot of people found it hard to believe. certainly the other reaction that we got was that it was pretty difficult to believe that he didn't know.
12:53 am
>> they concluded, the house committee, that the investigation was frustrated by near lack of recall among senior officials at the white house and military making it impossible for them to assign responsibility for the misinformation in pat's death and similarly with the jessica lynch episode. i interviewed her as well on this show. eight years later, do you feel any closer to knowing exactly what happened or not? >> you know, it's been actually quite a while since i've seen a lot of that and really sort of relived it, and there definitely came a point in time where i decided to move forward and to leave some of that behind. >> you got remarried. >> mm-hmm. >> to a guy who had three older children, and you've just had a little boy, mack, who is 5 months old. how hard was it to make that move? >> it was a long journey, and i think that i was able by sort of letting go of that, be able to create room in my life so that i was ready for someone to come in and to be able to be open and loving and to get to this place where i am today which is really a good one. >> you've set up this pat tillman foundation.
12:54 am
tell me about that. >> the foundation that we've started supports veterans and their spouses through educational scholarships. it's been an amazing opportunity for me to turn this experience into something that can benefit so many people and to see the impact that we can have on these individuals, you know, and their families. >> well, i mean, i red the book, and my sense was he really was -- this phrase all-american hero is massively overused, but to do what he did after 9/11, to give up a lucrative sporting career and millions of dollars, you know, happy, secure family and everything, to risk all of it and to go and fight for his country is a pretty extraordinary thing. marie tillman. it's been a real pleasure to talk to you, and i salute your courage, and it's a very inspiring book as well. not just a sad book. it's one people need to read.
12:55 am
>> thank you. >> thank you for coming in. ♪... ♪... ♪... choose the perfect hotel
12:56 am
12:57 am
12:58 am
for tonight's "only in america," the doctor will see you now. in two days the supreme court will render its decision on the president's health care law. for many the debate has become all about politics but one remind us that it's the patients that really member. dr. russell donor is 87 years
12:59 am
old and has been in rushville, illinois, since 1965, 67 years of delivering babies, mending broken bones and writing prescriptions, doing it all for decades from this little office, and he does it seven days a week. >> even on sunday i felt like there was always somebody that was sick, so before i go to church i would come here. >> and after sunday he spends his vacation at work. 67 years without a single holiday and his patients are incredibly grateful. >> my older sister had seizures and mom said after she would have them she would kind of be out of it. he would come and sit at her crib all night. >> they so him on a first come first serve basis and there's a flat rate for everybody, exactly $5. that's not the co-payment that's the total amount. you heard me. $5. dr. donor does