Skip to main content

tv   Legal View With Ashleigh Banfield  CNN  April 25, 2014 9:00am-10:01am PDT

9:00 am
terrorism, was it not terrorism? the unknown is huge. we could ent either important phase here where that bluefin begins a new search. so stay with us for any information about that. thanks for joining us at this hour. >> "legal view" with ashleigh banfield starts right now. hello, everyone. i'm ashleigh banfield. it is friday, april 25th. welcome to "legal view." it's one more week that's come and gone in the search for mh-370. now seven weeks have passed and australians are not giving up on that themed bluefin. after 13 trips to very near the bottom of the southern indian ocean, the sonar scanning drone on loan from the united states navy has covered almost the entirety of a circle drawn around those pings that were detected way, way back on april the 8th. those pings are still believed
9:01 am
to have come from one or both of the black boxes. the black boxes from flight 370. they remain the only apparent trace of the missing jet to turn up in 49 days. if the bluefin turns up no signs of wreckage, and it has not so far, let's be clear, the search leaders say they will plot a brand-new field adjacent to the first one, and they will put that machine right back to work. for his part, the malaysian prime minister tells our richard quest that he will, quote, release his government's preliminary report on the mh-370 mystery. but, and it's a big butt, se, s to be small comfort to these people, who staged an unusual sit-in at the malaysian embassy in beijing, they are there, and the family, say they've been lied to, brushed off by the malaysian officials just too many times already.
9:02 am
now, it is true, the chinese police far outnumber the demonstrators, but so far, those chinese police have not intervened at all and are letting them have their say. i want to begin this hour's coverage live in perth, australia, with cnn's erin mclaughlin. we know the bigger and more capable vehicles are out there, they exist to continue this search. do we know why the search teams are sticking with that bluefin? >> not at the moment, ashleigh. that is a question that we have put to the joint agency coordination center here in perth, the center responsible for coordinating this search efforts. and no comment so far because, you're right, there are more capable underwater submersibles out there such as the orion. it can stay down there for weeks on end. now, we do know that this is something that both australian and malaysian officials are
9:03 am
discussing. they're currently in the process hammering out a longer term search agreement based on a malaysian proposal to broaden out the search area and introduce new technology. it's something the australian defense minister has talked about. technology he says like they're considering the kind of underwater submersibles that discover the titanic. so we know they're discussing it. it's not clear when they're going to introduce it, ashleigh. >> erin mclaughlin, live for us in perth, australia. i'm joined by some of the experts on maritime search. the president of perry dine marine systems and underwater vehicle laboratory. david sousie is a former air accident investigator and cnn safety analyst. colonel michael kay is a cnn aviation analyst, former royal
9:04 am
air force pilot and adviser to the uk government. tom, i want to begin with you. we are seven weeks in. is this perhaps all coming back to the pings? >> ashleigh, i think it has to right now. that's the best evidence that there is something in the water in that general area. the pings are what you would expect to hear in a search area. but the issue is have they really drawn the right circle, expanding the search area is probably the only solution they have right now. but they probably also should start looking at analyzing the data more carefully, getting other eyes on that data to see if they've interpreted the pings and the locations correctly. >> certainly, the reassessment of the data changed things dramatically terms of the search field. but does not finding debris confirm that the pings weren't real?
9:05 am
>> yes, i don't think that not finding debris really means a lot. there's all kinds of scenarios where you can see the air frame on the water and then sink and not end up with a debris field. it's highly unusual, but in all this, this whole -- this whole process has been unusual. i think we're seeing the extremes in, you know, losing the vehicle, the airplane the way they did, and not being able to find any concrete evidence other than a fleeting ping from a potential pinger on a black box. >> colonel kay, if we're looking at an entire search area almost complete under water and the possibility of just expanding it and starting all over again under water, do we continue with the air search, with the sea search? >> we actually do. because the pings have taken us from what is essentially an area over 10 million square miles all the way down to the south indian ocean which is 300 square miles.
9:06 am
that is the sliver of hope, the encouragement, the reinforcement we need to get across here. the air search is absolutely key. there are two ways we can achieve priority number one in my opinion. priority number one is getting closure for the families and the loved ones. if we find even just the remote, smallest bit of debris on the surface that can relate mh-370 to that final resting place, then that is a phenomenal thing. likewise, if the bluefin can find some ocean dedebris, that a phenomenal thing. we have to keep reassessing it and making sure we're in the right place but absolutely we should continue the search. >> david soucie, if you could weigh in, with your years of research and knowledge, are you comfortable with the mechanics and protocols in place now? is it time for an absolute overhaul, a change out of equipment, change out of people, fresh eyeballs, any, all the above? >> you know, i think at this point, that would be a little bit premature, but it's just on
9:07 am
the cusp. we look right now at finishing the strategy. when you start a strategy, you have to finish it until its extinction. which means even if it were 95%, then you look at that. but i think the next step is to continue as the previous guest said, is the circle drawn in the right place. that's perfect. because is that circle the right one. i think that circle is limited by the equipment they have. they can only go maybe 4,000 or 5,000 meters at that point with this piece of equipment. the next phase is this deeper equipment that goes -- that will be able to give them a much greater expansion and more detailed search at lower levels. i think that's the next phase. before we think about new eyes,er from eyes and reevael waiting anything at this point. >> 49 days out, that sounds like a long time. if we're looking at air france, that was two years, and yet they had something to go on for those two years. here, there's nothing.
9:08 am
>> it's important to remember that two years figure included all the politics of getting there, actual winter to deal with. the actual search was about four or five months. even that is much longer than what we've had so far now. i would expect it to go further. they knew within a very few miles from where this is. now let's look at the pings. the pings tell us in my mind where that aircraft is pretty specifically. so to continue that search is important. unfortunately, you can't just take these pieces of equipment and pull them out of the closet and say, okay, we're ready to do a deepwater search. there's crews that need to be prepped. there's crews that need to be planned. there's a lot plans that goes into this, as your other guests can tell you. it's not like you flip a switch and you have a new search strategy going on. >> all right, thomas alcheler, michael kay and david soucie, thank you. stand by. there's so much more on the
9:09 am
story. the wife of a missing crew member on flight 370 is among those seeking answers. she says her 4-year-old daughter is still asking a question over and over, where is my dad? her story's next. marge: you know, there's a more enjoyable way to get your fiber. try phillips fiber good gummies. they're delicious, and an excellent source of fiber to help support regularity. wife: mmmm husband: these are good! marge: the tasty side of fiber. from phillips. i'm mom at the playground the kids get trail mix, and you get a delicious milo's kitchen chicken meatball. i wish you liked my cooking that much. milo's kitchen. made in the usa with chicken or beef as the number one ingredient. the best treats come from the kitchen. sfuel reward card is really what makes it like two deals in one. salesperson #2: actually, getting a great car with 42 highway miles per gallon makes it like two deals in one. salesperson #1: point is there's never been a better time to buy a jetta tdi clean diesel. avo: during the first ever volkswagen tdi clean diesel event, get a great deal on a jetta tdi. it gets 42 highway miles per gallon.
9:10 am
and get a $1,000 fuel reward card. it's like two deals in one. volkswagen has the most tdi clean diesel models of any brand. hurry in and get a $1,000 fuel reward card and 0.9% apr for 60 months on tdi models. i dbefore i dosearch any projects on my home. i love my contractor, and i am so thankful to angie's list for bringing us together. find out why more than two million members count on angie's list. angie's list -- reviews you can trust. how do you explain the feeling of new delights discovered... and devoured. of secrets just waiting to be shared. of sights that make eyes go wide. you don't explain it. you just surrender. yucatan. live it to believe it.
9:11 am
i've come up with a family emergency plan.
9:12 am
what is it? it's difficult to talk about. so i'm not telling you. i'm so glad i won't have to remember anything. me, too. announcer: visit ready.gov/kids for tips and information. let's turn our attention to the families of the 239 passengers on board flight 370. 49 days after the plane vanished, they're still desperate for answers from the malaysian government and some their patience is running out. here's the evidence. about midnight last night, the family, of the chinese passengers on the jet marched through the streets beijing, straight to the malaysian
9:13 am
embassy. as you can see from this video, some of them are still outside of the embassy right now. the malaysian prime minister told cnn's richard quest on thursday that they're doing the best they can to satisfy the families of the passengers on board that missing plane. >> we've done our best. we did many, many briefings, and we give them as much information as we could. in terms of information that could be -- that were corroborated. and, as i promised, next week, we will release the preliminary report that we sent to icao. but the most important information that they want and, sadly, the one that we cannot provide, is where is the plane. >> cnn's sooni ma uda spoke with
9:14 am
a woman whose husband was on board flight 370 about how she's dealing with her grief, at the same time as being eight months pregnant. >> reporter: praaris, frankfurt london. they have traveled the world together. both working as flight attendants for malaysia airlines. on the night of march 7th, he missed his bus to work, so otaman dropped him off to the airport. his last words, "i love you." >> i keep on hearing that he loved me. it's normal conversation, normal good-bye. yeah. >> reporter: their 4-year-old daughter still wondered where her father is. >> she's been asking about her papa every night, eithvery morn.
9:15 am
>> reporter: what do you tell her? >> lately, i have been trying to tell papa might not come back. >> reporter: now, eight months pregnant, othaman says she can barely keep herself together. >> if i receive a call on my phone, i'm like, please, i'm hoping that's him. >> reporter: hoping because there's nothing else, no evidence, no answers. malaysian families of passengers on board flight 370 have been hesitant to speak up. but now after attending a series of government briefings, they are so outraged, they want someone, anyone, to listen to them. >> the end of the day, it's just frustration most of the time. because we feel that, like i say, not enough information. >> do they look like they're trying to help you? >> i don't know if i can trust
9:16 am
them. >> i can completely understand the need to find answers. however, as i said, in the briefing just now, we're looking for answers ourselves. >> reporter: to make matters worse, the families of crew members are living with the fact that their loved ones have not been cleared from suspicion. the most scrutinized perhaps, captain of the plane, she says she met shaw's family at one of the briefings. >> they're very quiet, very quiet people. i think they're very emotionally down as well. >> reporter: tina says the mh 370 crew's families don't believe the captain is responsib responsible. she will eventually go back to work flying again for malaysia airlines but right now she says she cannot even bear the sight or sound of an airplane. cnn, kuala lumpur.
9:17 am
>> so was an opportunity missed right after flight 370 disappeared? malaysia's prime minister tells us what happened in an exclusive face-to-face interview with our cnn's richard quest. (music) defiance is in our bones. defiance never grows old. citracal maximum. calcium citrate plus d. highly soluble, easily absorbed. what does an apron have to do with car insurance? an apron is hard work. an apron is pride in what you do. an apron is not quitting until you've made something a little better. what does an apron have to do with car insurance? for us, everything.
9:18 am
but with med-care, i don't have to! waiting to get my diabetic supplies is such a hassle . they deliver everything i need right to my door! with free shipping! plus, med-care takes private policies, medicaid, even my medicare! now we have the time to do the things we love. med-care. we deliver a better life. bulldog: [yawn]
9:19 am
bulldog: i just had a dream i was at mattress discounters
9:20 am
with tempur-pedic and the largest selection of memory foam mattresses under one roof! icomfort, by serta... optimum, by posturepedic... ahh! comforpedic, by beautyrest... ooh! 48 months interest-free financing, free delivery, and queen-size memory foam mattress sets as low as $697! that's more mattresses than you can shake a bone at. ♪ mattress discounters malaysia airlines flight 370 was in the air less than two hours when it went radio silent and vanished. that's when the big mystery began. nearly 50 days later, it's no less a mystery. so we know the plane turned hard
9:21 am
left, away from its scheduled flight plane. why didn't that raise all kinds of red flags on the ground? in an exclusive face-to-face interview with malaysian's prime minister, our richard quest wondered exactly the same thing. >> no planes were sent up on the night to investigate. >> no, because, simply because it was deemed not to be hostile. >> don't you find that troubling, that a civil aircraft can turn back, fly across the country and nobody things to go up and have a look? because one of two things. i understand the threat level. either the plane's in trouble and needs help or it's nefarious and you want to know what somebody's going up there to do. as a prime minister, don't you find that troubling? >> coming back to my earlier
9:22 am
statement, they were not sure whether it was mh-370. >> even more reason to have a look. >> they were not sure. but it behaved like a commercial airline. >> and we're still not sure. david soucie and lieutenant michael kay are with me. saying it behaved like a commercial airliner, but it doesn't seem like any other commercial airliner. they certainly don't take sudden turns away from their flight path. colonel kay, what's the protocol when this happens? it's been sort of the common assumption, especially since 9/11, you go and you take a look. >> it's a graduated response. deemed not hostile. okay. suspicious. there's no doubt in my mind it was suspicious. it wasn't flight planned. ifr or bfr. it wasn't part of routine
9:23 am
airways traffic. the red flag thing you raise is spot on. there are protocols area radar can take when they see an unidentified trace on the screen. the first one is they go to the distress cell, they pick up the radio, they pick up the sat com and they try to talk to the airplane or whatever it is that disappeared. then they try to speak to other aircraft in thes ha s havvicini. there are lots of checks and balances before you get to ringing the military to say we've had someone drop off radar, get someone airborne. >> look, that makes perfect sense. when 9/11 happened and those jets perpetrated, the foul incident that ensued, the first thing they did was turn off the tro transponder. how does that not make you immediately potentially hostile? let's say for the sake of safety, hostile.
9:24 am
>> this answer from the prime minister is absolutely off. i can't understand why he would think this is acceptable. as richard quest said, he asked the question again, and he said, well, all the more reason, if it was acting like a commercial aircraft, all the more reason he should have done so, this system should have worked. it should have gone into place. i can't imagine what happened here. the fact that he doesn't know what happened is very concerting to me as well because he's just saying, well, it was a commercial aircraft, why would we look into that? it shows a separation of military and commercial that's not talking to each other. it's something we suffered early on back in 9/11, the fire wall between the fbi and cia, which we've learned, we've managed to progress through that, changes between how we respond to disasters now, with the military and commercial ventures work directly together. it's something we've learned in the united states. clearly, malaysia hasn't gotten to that stage yet. >> i can't believe i'm even asking these questions that air
9:25 am
traffic controllers may, in fact, colonel kay, change their policies when transponders simply stop working. and a plane goes dark. i mean, might this event actually have that effect and change policy and protocol for traffic? >> ashleigh, great question. air france 447, the french authority, had lessons identified from the man in charge of the search and rescue operation. there were four key lessons identified. two of them involved air traffic control agencies and better communication and their reluctance to initiate emergency in the first place. moving forward, it's about learning from these lessons. it hasn't happened in this case. it must happen moving forward. >> david soucie, a day doesn't go by, it seems, where we don't hear in america about something that seems suspicious. a flight that's entered airspace
9:26 am
perhaps it's not to enter, and the jets are scrambled. it doesn't make sense something this bizarre didn't illicit an immediate scrambling. are the standards different elsewhere then they are here when it comes to this? >> well, you know, people have very short memories when it comes to disasters of this kind. i think not only memories but the fact that does it have the same impact. we responded fantastically to 9/11 in my opinion. right now in a cessna 170 -- in fact, it wasn't too long ago, a small aircraft drifted into dca airspace near the capitol and it was literally seconds before we had aircraft dispatched, we had missiles aimed, we were ready to take that airplane down in just a matter of seconds until it veered back out of the controlled area. we're very sensitive to that. the fact that it hasn't propagated to the international community doesn't surprise me a great deal particularly because we don't have strong
9:27 am
representation from the united states in the international civil organization from the u.n. we don't. right now, we don't even have an ambassador representing us at this critical time. >> wow. >> it's just -- it's unprecedented. >> you know, that raises a whole other crop of issues right there. i got to get back to the families. these families, colonel kay, have been emotionally battered for 48 -- 49 days. the prime minister finally said to richard quest, they will release this preliminary report. look, we've talked about how there's likely to be very little in that. but won't it go miles in terms of assuaging their concerns or at least feeling like they belong in this investigation? >> yeah, i mean, ashleigh, it's definitely a quick win here. as we look at this investigation, it's 49 days long. it's been surrounded by mystery, by controversy, by lack of transparency. given the minimal information this preliminary report actually contains facts, not only six not conclusions, no probable cause,
9:28 am
it probably won't have anything to do with the data analysis or assumptions made there, this would be a quick win. it would establish malaysia as understanding it had made some errors in the beginning and is now getting its act together, it's moving forward, and it's trying, to your point, establish a level of transparency and credibility and give a little. the more they delay on this, the more it just compound the whole perspective, the way malaysians are conducting this investigation. >> heartbreaking, every time you see these picture, they can't be forgotten in this story. michael kay, david soucie, thank you. there's this strange story out of north korea today. there's another american who's been taken into custody. now, the state media there says, strangely enough, this is an american who is seeking asylum over there, in north korea. i'm not kidding. going to get you the latest on what else the north korean are saying about him after this. [ male announcer ] this is jim.
9:29 am
a man who doesn't stand still. but jim has afib, atrial fibrillation, an irregular heartbeat not caused by a heart valve problem. that puts jim at a greater risk of stroke. for years, jim's medicine tied him to a monthly trip to the clinic to get his blood tested. but now, with once-a-day xarelto jim's on the move. jim's doctor recommended xarelto. like warfarin, xarelto is proven effective to reduce afib-related stroke risk. but xarelto is the first and only once-a-day prescription blood thinner for patients with afib not caused by a heart valve problem that doesn't require routine blood monitoring. so jim's not tied to that monitoring routine. [ gps ] proceed to the designated route. not today. [ male announcer ] for patients currently well managed on warfarin there is limited information on how xarelto and warfarin compare in reducing the risk of stroke. xarelto is just one pill a day taken with the evening meal. plus, with no known dietary restrictions, jim can eat the healthy foods he likes. do not stop taking xarelto, rivaroxaban,
9:30 am
without talking to the doctor who prescribes it as this may increase the risk of having a stroke. get help right away if you develop any symptoms like bleeding, unusual bruising, or tingling. you may have a higher risk of bleeding if you take xarelto with aspirin products, nsaids, or blood thinners. talk to your doctor before taking xarelto if you have abnormal bleeding. xarelto can cause bleeding, which can be serious and rarely may lead to death. you are likely to bruise more easily on xarelto and it may take longer for bleeding to stop. tell your doctors you are taking xarelto before any planned medical or dental procedures. before starting xarelto, tell your doctor about any conditions such as kidney, liver, or bleeding problems. xarelto is not for patients with artificial heart valves. jim changed his routine. ask your doctor about xarelto. once-a-day xarelto means no regular blood monitoring -- no known dietary restrictions. for more information and savings options, call 1-888-xarelto or visit goxarelto.com.
9:31 am
but with so much health care noise, i didn't always watch out for myself. with unitedhealthcare, i get personalized information and rewards for addressing my health risks. but she's still gonna give me a heart attack. that's health in numbers. unitedhealthcare. the expedia app helps you save with mobile-exclusive deals download the expedia app text expedia to 75309 expedia, find yours
9:32 am
dennis rodman aside, it's hard to think of any american who would actually want to seek asylum in north korea. that said, north korea is claiming that a man by the name of miller matthew todd, an american, wanted to do just that. and miller matthew todd has been in custody in north korea since april the 10th. cnn's foreign affairs reporter
9:33 am
elise lavette joins me. those are the facts, elise, what else do we know about this young man? >> ashleigh, very little. we don't even know if his name is miller matthew todd or matthew todd miller because you know in asia a lot of times people use the last name before the first name. so we're still try to find out information about this gentleman. what the north koreans are saying is that matthew miller todd, as they're calling him, 24-year-old american went through immigration, ripped up his visa and threatened to seek asyl asylum, saying he was seeking asylum and shelter in north korea and that he was exhibiting rash behavior. a senior administration confirms to me the state department has been working this case. that's really all we know. it's a very interesting mystery, if you will. certainly, very concerning, given that north korea has done this type of thing in the past.
9:34 am
>> well, and that does beg the question about timing. a lot of things come out of the blue, as you and i both know. a lot of things come out of the blue with north korea. is there anything on the timing to this? who's representing our interests? who we dealing with? >> well, the timing ashleigh is that president obama next door in south korea spoke a couple hours ago with the south korean president park, talking about north korean provocations, warning north korea about further belligerent behavior. there's a lot of concern right now that north korea could launch another nuclear test. and so if the north koreans have been holding on to this guy for two weeks, it's very logical to assume that they've been waiting for the president's visit to publicize it. now, the swedish government has american interest there with the lack of relations between the u.s. and north korea. the swedish talked on our
9:35 am
behalf. they, for instance, are talking with the north korean authorities about kenneth bae, a korean christian missionary who's been in north korea for almost two years. he's serving 15 years in a north korean labor camp for allegedly trying to topple the government, with his evangelical activities. once in a while, the swedish ambassador is able to visit mr. bae, talk to north korean authorities about him, but it's a concern with the lack of relations between the two countries. >> other than dennis rodman's relationship with the president of that country. elise, thank you for that, keep us posted on any developments that come from that bizarre story. question about cell phones. every one of us almost carries one these days. that is certainly probable on board flight 370. what about passenger's and crew member's phones, wherever they are, do they hold clues to the
9:36 am
mystery of this disappearance? we'll show you something pretty surprising, how experts can still get information from those phones even after they've been immersed in saltwater for days, weeks, maybe even months.
9:37 am
9:38 am
true business-grade internet comes with secure wifi for your business. it also comes with public wifi for your customers. not so with internet from the phone company. i would email the phone company to inquire as to why they have shortchanged these customers.
9:39 am
but that would require wifi. switch to comcast business internet and get two wifi networks included. comcast business built for business. you have heard probably more than you ever expected to hear about black boxes, particularly the ones that were aboard malaysia airlines flight 370. the plane's voice recorders may eventually solve this historic mystery once and for all, but they're not the only source of potential information on board that plane. because there are pretty strong chances that 239 people on the flight had 239 phones. smart phones. give or take. the chances are many of the words and pictures contained on
9:40 am
those phones can be retrieved even now. cnn's ted rowlands shows us how it's done. >> reporter: some of the final messages from passengers on flight 370 could be with the missing plane at the bottom of the indian ocean. unsent texts, e-mails and photos to loved ones. but could they be retrieved if the plane is found? >> absolutely. it's a matter finding the devices, determining what damage was associated with them and handling them properly. >> reporter: we decided to see if it was possible by putting this cell phone in saltwater. we turned off the transmission and tried to send emay -mails a texts. i'll take video of the chicago river and stills and see if those survive. we took our phone to chicago's shedd aquarium. using water from the aquarium's ocean floor exhibit, they prepared this pressure chamber for our phone. >> we have the salt compositions
9:41 am
right, we have the temperature very cold. not as cold as it will be in the indian ocean, but pretty close, and now we've got a pressure changer. >> reporter: the plan is to leave the phone in water for a week and see if our text, e-mail, videos and photo can be retree iev retrieved. >> we're going to place it into our chamber right now. this is going directly into saltwater that simulates the indian ocean. >> reporter: within seconds, saltwater fills the inside of the phone. eight days later, two of our computer forensic experts company to the aquarium to remove the phone. >> i can definitely see the salt corrosion building up. it's just whether or not it made its way all the way inside, built up on top of the electronics and whether or not it corroded the memory chip where the data stored. >> reporter: because oxygen will quickly increase corrosion, our phone is kept in water. >> we'll keep it in the same water it was in until we can get
9:42 am
it to the lab and get it in a solution where we can clean it up. >> reporter: a few hours later at the ford discovery lab -- >> look at how it just ate the plastic. >> reporter: to retrieve the data, the phone is pulled apart, the board which includes the memory chip is bathed into an 80 degree ultrasonic cleaner several types and any tiny salt deposits are chipped away. >> this is the most important part. this is where the data is held and stored. this is actually looking pretty good. >> reporter: there we go. the chip is actually then removed, using heat. >> it was in good shape. the next step, quite honestly lsh lshis to pop it into an adapter like this. >> reporter: there it is, the e-mails, the photos, the video we recorded of the chicago river. and while our experiment with the aquarium tank is not the same as the indian ocean, our experts believe they could also retrieve data from cell phones on flight 370.
9:43 am
>> the chips are fairly well protected. we were able to get the data off. i think it would be possible. >> reporter: ted rowlands, cnn, chicago. first of all, i'm just in complete awe of what i just saw ted rowlands show us. i'm joined by cnn's technology analyst brett larson. when i saw that picture of the remarkable corrosion. look at the condition of that phone. just eight days in saltwater. you were surprised to hear they could get that data. >> i was surprised because electronics and water never mix. it's like water and oil. they don't go together. the problem with electronics and water is that water can cause the circuits to complete when they're not supposed to. say the positive and the negative on your battery are on two separate sides of your circuit board but when water comes into the picture, they can come together and corrode. the one thing we are dealing
9:44 am
with in this scenario -- for one, this phone was turned off. it does make a difference in that it was powered down. with the water causing a connection to happen that wasn't supposed to happen, a circuit can jump, a breaker can cross over, power can be where it's not supposed to be and that causes all kinds of problems in these electronics. the one thing with all our smart phone, iphones, the galaxy phone, they're all solid state materials. they're no moving parts inside them, no hard drives spinning around. >> like our computers. >> and that kind of stuff can get very damaged and corroded and cause further problems. with solid state, you're working with a different level of safety, so to speak. i mean, the black boxes are all solid state. >> that's great news. the fact they're solid state. if theye ever get to recover anything, particularly smart phones from flight 370, will it -- let's say they can get the data and they're not more corroded than this, this is eight days, can it tell us where
9:45 am
those people have been? >> it can, if they're able to -- if the phones were on for the whole flight and the phones were able to get that gps signal, it's cached it's kept in the phone. >> what about as they were flying low or as they were terrified, trying to make those checks? >> those things should be there. if they sent out a text or e-mail and it's sitting in their outbox, those things will still be sitting in their outbox. the one video that they recovered from the phone that spent eight days in the saltwater, there were some missing pieces, so we might not get back the whole picture -- >> about with 239 -- >> let's not forget, they went down at some point between 4,000 and 5,000 feet and there was a connection made between the co-pilot's smart phone -- >> which is very questionable, why it was only one phone. >> maybe he was the only one who knew there was a problem. we don't know. really remarkable information. our other big story we're following, ukraine's prime
9:46 am
minister says russia wants to start world war iii. what is the real situation on the ground? we're going to get a live report from eastern ukraine right after this break. ♪ [ banker ] sydney needed some financial guidance so she could take her dream to the next level. so we talked about her options. her valuable assets were staying. and selling her car wouldn't fly. we helped sydney manage her debt and prioritize her goals, so she could really turn up the volume on her dreams today...and tomorrow.
9:47 am
so let's see what we can do about that... remodel. motorcycle. [ female announcer ] some questions take more than a bank. they take a banker. make a my financial priorities appointment today. because when people talk, great things happen. so, what'd you think of the house? did you see the school rating? oh, you're right. hey, babe, i got to go. bye, daddy. have a good day at school, okay? ♪ [ man ] but what about when my parents visit? okay. just love this one. it's next to a park. [ man ] i love it. i love it, too. here's your new house. ♪ daddy! [ male announcer ] you're not just looking for a house. you're looking for a place for your life to happen. zillow.
9:48 am
[ chainsaw buzzing ] humans. sometimes, life trips us up. sometimes, we trip ourselves up. and although the mistakes may seem to just keep coming at you, so do the solutions.
9:49 am
like multi-policy discounts from liberty mutual insurance. save up to 10% just for combining your auto and home insurance. call liberty mutual insurance at... to speak with an insurance expert and ask about all the personalized savings available for when you get married, move into a new house, or add a car to your policy. personalized coverage and savings -- all the things humans need to make our world a little less imperfect. call... and ask about all the ways you could save. liberty mutual insurance -- responsibility. what's your policy? ukraine's prime minister says the situation with russia is leaning towards military conflict. he's talking about 40,000 russian troops now doing war
9:50 am
games near the ukrainian border with no good explanation as to why from moscow. ukrainian officials say russia wants to occupy their country and even, quote, start world war iii. president obama today speaking in south korea says a fresh package of sanctions against russia is, quote, ready to go, and russia's president needs to remember that the cold war is over. the president on a tour that has taken him not only through that country but also heading to further exploits in southeast asia. our nick patton walsh is live, our senior international correspondent, he is in ukraine. those are strong words when you start hearing a ukrainian official accusing the russians of wanting to start a third world war. does it feel that way actually on the ground, nick?
9:51 am
>> well, obviously here, it's very far away from that scale conflict. the problem is, all little points of volatility here, the checkpoint yesterday the ukrainian security forces moved near one of the hot spots of unrest here, slavansk. the suggestion today they're going to surround that town and blockade it in what they call phase two of their anti-terror operation. there are 40,000 troops just across the boarder who are getting includingly closer, increasingly mobile, with increasing rhetoric from moscow, they may feel the need to intervene. all those little things potentially are flash points that could cause that russian intervention that could cause that all-out conflict potentially between weaker ukrainian forces and their stronger russian outparts. and then you see neighbors feeling they have been dragged in. that's all potential futurology. the question is how do they calm the situation around these flash
9:52 am
points. with the fact that today we had an explosion in odessa, way in the east of ukrain, at a police checkpoint. no one injured. also here, a helicopter at an airfield that ukrainian troops have retaken near some of these protesters. that was either taken out by either a rocket-propelled grenade or a lucky sniper shot say ukrainian military officials. or one soldier on the ground saying it was a technical fault. there's a drip, drip, drip of violence here and explosions here and clashes that many fear anything could set off to a wider issue here. >> and as you were just talking, we were looking at some delightful pictures of militant teaching a very young child how to deal with heavy artillery with sandbags behind the child. so clearly the propaganda campaign is in full force. but, look, the russians had to have heard what president obama talked about today with a full new package of sanctions. do the russians even hear that? do these sanctions have any heft?
9:53 am
do they make a difference, will they? >> that is absolutely the key question here. is vladimir putin paying any attention? is he paying any attention to the battering the russian economy's getting, the credit rating slipping today, the ruble having trouble, the amount of money the government's having to spend keeping it afloat. is he worried about this next layer of sanctions? then barack obama quite clear, his words, he wants more arrows in his quiver in case the russians properly intervene militarily here, that's whole sections potentially the russian economy. does he care about that, does he care about the damage that may do him domestically, or does he have a broader goal regardless of the consequences? that's the big question. >> nick patton walsh, live for us in ukrain, eastern ukraine. thank you for that. do be careful as you continue your reporting there. we also have some new details in the search for those details aboard the sunken ferry. those details show us just how sad and terrifying those final
9:54 am
moments must have been. some of the victims known only by number. we're going to share their stories while at the same time tell you yet another fact and one more arrest and yet it's a crew member. that's coming up next. (dad) just feather it out. that's right. (son) ok. feather it out. (dad) all right. that's ok. (dad) put it in second, put it in second. (dad) slow it down. put the clutch in, break it, break it. (dad) just like i showed you. dad, you didn't show me, you showed him. dad, he's gonna wreck the car! (dad) he's not gonna wreck the car. (dad) no fighting in the road, please. (dad) put your blinker on. (son) you didn't even give me a chance! (dad) ok. (mom vo) we got the new subaru because nothing could break our old one. (dad) ok. (son) what the heck? let go of my seat! (mom vo) i hope the same goes for my husband. (dad) you guys are doing a great job. seriously. (announcer) love a car that lasts. love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru.
9:55 am
[ female announcer ] some people like to pretend a flood could never happen to them. and that their homeowners insurance protects them. [ thunder crashes ] it doesn't. stop pretending. only flood insurance covers floods. ♪ visit floodsmart.gov/pretend to learn your risk.
9:56 am
could mean less waiting for things like security backups and file downloads you'd take that test, right? what are you waiting for? you could literally be done with the test by now. now you could have done it twice.
9:57 am
this is awkward. go to comcastbusiness.com/ checkyourspeed. if we can't offer faster speeds or save you money we'll give you $150. comcast business built for business. perhaps the saddest part of the surnken ferry story yet, th divers are finding cabins overcrowded with teenagers. they discovered the bodies of 48 girls almost all of them wearing life vests in a cabin that's only supposed to hold 30. today, the death toll is 185 but 117 are still missing and, i remind you, that most of them are teenagers. the searchers are trying to reach a dormitory-style cabin where they believe as many as 50 or more girls may be located.
9:58 am
the victims who have been found haven't all been identified. but they each have a personal story. and for that, we turn to kyung lah in jingo, south korea. >> reporter: they are the victims of south korea's worst ship disaster in decades. to those waiting on land, they are lost children, teachers and parents. billy kim playfully hula hooping in a dalmatian costume grew up in korea with an american boy's name. her mother says she love ed goa when she was little. the unique name "billy" stuck. some are only known by numbers, as they arrive shrouded in white. listed on a white board at the port until their parents name them. number 63. a student. with a flower shaped belly ring and adidas sweat pants. number 58, another student. this one, a boy.
9:59 am
skinny with pimpimles, braces, wearing a light green hoodie. connecting the victims is this high school. they were on a four-day field trip, a fun excursion, just before junior year exams for college. lee sook jun, age 15, focused more on the present. his dad was out of work. lee waited tables to help pay bills. their teachers weren't much older than the students. this teacher teaching her first year at the high school lost her life. she died on her birthday. there are many stories of the ferry crew abandoning passengers. not so well known are the quiet stories the crew's heroism. 44-year-old ya dang hon called his wife. the ship is tilting now. use the money in the bank for the children's school fees. before hanging up, he said, i
10:00 am
need to go rescue more kids. his wife never heard his voice again. a nation's hopes fading. prayers now comforting families of the lost. kyung lah, cnn, jindo, south korea. >> thanks for watching, everyone. my colleague, wolf blitzer, starts now. right now, malaysia airlines flight 370, the initial underwater search for the plane about to end. what happens now? also right now, tensions escalate. so do the words between russia and ukraine. president obama now threatening moscow with new sanctions. we're live from kiev. also right now, a land dispute. suddenly so much more. a rancher's stance rallying the political right. that was before his racist rant. today, he tries to defend himself in an interview with cnn.

29 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on