Skip to main content

tv   Legal View With Ashleigh Banfield  CNN  April 10, 2015 9:00am-10:01am PDT

9:00 am
>> video is alarming. >> it is alarming. even when you see it from this byrdeye view from the helicopter. stephanie, thank you. thanks for joining us. >> have a great weekend. but first, watch "legal view" with ashleigh banfield. that starts right now. hello, everyone. i'm ashleigh banfield. welcome to "legal view." today we are seeing some brand-new police dashcam footage of those moments that led up to that disturbing south carolina police shooting, a shooting that ended with a man dead in an open field. walter scott now a memory. in the meantime, we're also learning that the officer involved, michael slager, he's been charged with first-degree murder in this case. and he has now been separated from the general population in that jail. and that means he's in a cell by himself and is being monitored for his mental health.
9:01 am
as far as the dashcam video is concerned, at first glance, it seems pretty routine, a traffic stop you may have seen before. and that is until mr. scott begins to run. the video i'm about to show you, it may give some answers to some questions that are looming over this case. but it certainly does not explain the biggest question, why officer slager chose to shoot walter scott in the back as he was running away. i want to show you the whole scene as it played out in front of officer michael slager's dash-mounted video camera. >> show me your license and registration card. >> [ inaudible ]. >> what's that? >> i got my license but -- >> let's start with your license. the reason for the stop is your brake light's out. >>able in n [ inaudible ].
9:02 am
>> okay. >> i don't have it with me. [ inaudible ]. >> do you have insurance on the car? >> no, i don't have insurance -- >> okay. if you don't have insurance on your car since you bought it, you got to have insurance. >> well, i haven't bought it yet. >> let me have your driver's license. >> you don't have any paperwork in the glovebox. >> no. he has all that stuff. >> you're buying this car. >> yesterday. >> did you already buy it? >> no, sir. i'm about to buy it. >> a minute ago you said you bought it -- >> i'm sorry about that. >> i'll be right back with you. you've got to stay in the car.
9:03 am
>> [ inaudible ]. >> taser, taser, taser. >> for the very latest on the investigation into this shooting, i want to bring in cnn's reporter who's live in charleston, south carolina, right now. could owe get me up to speed. is it as fast-moving, this investigation -- are there still pieces of breaking information that are changing the dynamic of this story?
9:04 am
>> reporter: ashleigh, i can tell you that at this point there has been no actual public response from officials here at city hall from north charleston. but at the same time, it will be crucial for investigators to try to find out exactly what happened between warter scott and michael slager. what happened at a very crucial point, we've seen the dashcam video you just showed, essentially the initial traffic stop. and that cell phone video that was shown towards the tail end of this struggle between scott and slager. but we haven't seen what happened between those two different locations. the main question here is, why did scott run from officer slager? why was he running away from the officer who would eventually tase and obviously eventually shoot and kill him? and of course, here's the other question that will be very crucial for the officer's defense. at any point did the officer
9:05 am
fear for his life? obviously there are so many different factors coming into play here. but did hear yesterday that scott -- there was an outstanding bench warrant for scott. so that could potentially have been a reason why he was running. but at the same time, answers to those questions will be crucial not only for the investigation but also for the defense, should this -- once this case makes its way into the courtroom, to answer that question whether or not the shooting was justified. i can tell you the general feeling among the community here in south carolina is those eight shots should have never been fired. >> i think you make an excellent point, polo. without question, everything we're looking at, every moment of this incident from the time that stop began is going to be evidence. and it may mitigate the kind of charge that this man is facing. it may mitigate the kind of outcome of this case if there's a trial. but the circumstances may be changed. that's what's crucial to this
9:06 am
story. the officer has been moved into an isolation situation in the jail. can you walk me through what this -- basically what his lifestyle is right now? how he's being handled? >> reporter: he's been isolated from the very beginning since he was actually taken into custody and charged with murder. but i can tell you this is a step that local authorities are taking for safety. and this is something we've seen before in previous non-related cases in which law enforcement find themselves on the other side of the aisle here, at least behind bars. obviously a police officer in custody, that would be an extremely risky situation for the suspect in this case or the defendant in this case, former officer slager. so that's being done as a precaution. but at the same time, authorities are stopping short of saying that he's actually on any sort of suicide watch. the sheriff here, the local sheriff did actually say that that would be a concern in a case such as this. but at the same time, he is still within contact of law
9:07 am
enforcement and obviously his family members as well. >> polo sandoval live for us, thank you for that. we're also getting other information from an eyewitness. and this is another eyewitness to the shooting. and this is coming for the first time. in fact, before even police have heard from her. gwen nichols has told cnn in an exclusive interview that she saw walter scott and officer michael slager shortly after mr. scott was pulled over. >> when i came to the corner of the advanced auto parking lot and saw them, it was a tussle. and then -- like before what you saw on the videotape, there was like a little tussle over there. like at the end of that gate down there. >> reporter: were they on the ground rolling? >> no. it was like a tussle type of thing like, what do you want or, what did i do, type of thing? >> there is someone else as
9:08 am
well, i'm sure you've heard of him by now, faden santana, he recorded that infamous video of the shooting. he met with walter scott's family last night. and this is what it looked like. as you can see, terribly emotional. they were greeted. there were hugs. the family showing him their appreciation for being brave enough to show that video, take that video and show that video. last night on cnn's "anderson cooper 360" santana described the confrontation between the officer and mr. scott. >> they went inside a parking l lot. that's when i started witnessing everything. >> what was the first thing you saw happen between them? >> i went to the scene and mr. scott was already on the ground. the cop was on top of him and he
9:09 am
was tasing him, tasing mr. scott. >> you could actually hear the taser? >> yes, yes, i heard the taser. i could hear the sound. >> santana also told anderson that he did not see mr. scott grab for that taser. i want to bring back in our law enforcement experts to break down the dashcam video and the new information that it brings to this story. joining me is former new york police officer peter gleason who is now an attorney and law enforcement expert dennis root, who has trained officers on how to properly use deadly force. gentlemen, you're both perfect for this issue that's deploying today. i want to show that video again right at the moment where the dashcam is recording, the audio is out of view, but you can hear three distinct calls, what seems to be for a taser. have a listen.
9:10 am
>> taser, taser, taser. >> i'm not sure if you either could make out -- i think we were sort of putting those two pieces of sound -- it's a very long encounter. obviously takes several minutes. could either of you make out that there was the word seemingly "taser, taser, taser"
9:11 am
called out in that quick of a sequence? i'll begin with you, dennis. is that standard operating procedure for an officer to call it out if he's about to deploy the taser? >> absolutely. it's one of the fundamental elements of the training programs for the tasers. because of the similarities in look of the taser compared to a firearm, the announcement "taser, taser, taser" lets anyone else in the area, especially if it's a law enforcement officer that it's not a firearm being pointed at him, that it's a taser. and then if they hear the pop, they know that's the pop of the taser going off, not a firearm being discharged. >> and there's no call that you know of in any kind of training that should be made if a suspect grabs at your taser or at your weapon? >> well, if you were in the presence of other law enforcement professionals, you would want to announce them attempting to get to your weapon or taking your weapon from you.
9:12 am
every single time. but if you're alone, that's probably not a thought that would cross anybody's mind. if this officer felt that he was alone with the individual, then the touching of the weapon wouldn't necessarily be announced at that point. >> we should make very clear, it was only within a few moment that is he actually keyed his microphone, which was affixed to his shoulder and radioed in to dispatch that he had said -- the suspect had grabbed at my taser, that's the word he used. later in a police report, he wrote "took." peter, if you could weigh in on this. when we look at that tape and when we play it in full, is there anything about the police officer's demeanor and his temperament that looks unusual to you, that looks dismissive to you, that might give us some insight as to the state of mind of the officer as the stop began? >> by all accounts, it's routine. he pulls the driver over.
9:13 am
obviously he flips his lights on, you could see the lights of the police vehicle in the shad dope on the back of the mercedes-benz. and the individual pulls into a parking lot. by all accounts, it's a by-the-book standard operating procedure pulling-over of a vehicle. >> dennis, could you weigh in on the fact that when mr. scott exits the vehicle and runs, we can't see the officer running as well but we can certainly hear the microphone and the sound of wind, the sound of heavy breath and the sound of movement. at what point would an officer in training be told he is to have his hand on either his weapon or his taser? i'm just trying to get a feel for when officer slager may have had that taser in his hand. >> you know, not being completely familiar with south carolina's laws, i know in the state of florida, the
9:14 am
application of a taser is only justified when you encounter what they call active resistance. the body's in motion or muscles are under tension. the moment that mr. walker took off running and the officer pursued, he would be justified in the application of the taser to take him from custody. so it would not be outside the realm of possibility for him to draw out the taser and deploy it while running and chasing after him. >> we have a lot of evidence from witnesses who say they heard the taser, they thaerd this sound. we've seen the video of those taser wires clearly evident and looked as if they're affixed to something in the hands of the officer and certainly look like they're going in the direction of mr. scott as he's running. but if at the initial outset of what appeared on this video to be the last part of a struggle between the two of them, at least they were connected somewhere around the hands. if the suspect had actually gone
9:15 am
for the taser, would the officer be told, you should deploy that taser? or does it become more dangerous to him at that point because it is in such close proximity? >> if you've got the weapon pointed at the individual, deploy it. you're justified in doing so. >> even if he's touching you? >> even if he's touching you because electricity is lazy. once the probes are inside the person of mr. walker, there's no energy that's going to be transferred to you. >> and just lastly and very quickly, peter, pulling someone over for a taillight, there's been a lot of criticism about this. but it is just fishing in a particular community you're targeting. many say those in the black community feel that's an excuse to pull. but the supreme court in that state actually said, this is a serious thing. it needs to be dealt with. and taillights ant that out of the ordinary, are they? >> the u.s. supreme court has ruled that even if the officer is mistaken as to the actual
9:16 am
law, as long as that officer is pulling the individual over in a good-faith basis, the stop is good. >> peter gleason, thank you. dennis root, thank you as well. very helpful as we try to parse out what happened before, during and after this incident. before the gun came out in the shooting death of walter scott, we hear and see police saying taser. the officer says, taser. it's a device that is on the hip of more and more police officers these days. so why wasn't it enough to take care of this situation? we have a person coming up from the company that makes this device. he's going to show us this nonlethal weapon top to bottom and will answer a couple of questions that many people have. fuzzy video, sure looks like a taser, but was it?
9:17 am
and i quit smoking with chantix. my children always wanted me to quit smoking but i resigned myself to the fact that it wasn't going to work. but chantix helped me do it. along with support, chantix (varenicline) is proven to help people quit smoking. it gave me the power to overcome the urge to smoke. some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. some people had seizures while taking chantix. if you have any of these, stop chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix or history of seizures. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these, stop chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. tell your doctor if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems,
9:18 am
or develop new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack or stroke. decrease alcohol use while taking chantix. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. i'm a non-smoker. ask your doctor if chantix is right for you. now? can i at least put my shoes on? if your bladder is calling the shots ... you may have a medical condition called overactive bladder ... ...or oab you've got to be kidding me.
9:19 am
i've had enough! it's time to talk to the doctor. ask your doctor how myrbetriq may help treat... ...oab symptoms of urgency, frequency, and leakage. which may mean fewer trips to the bathroom. myrbetriq (mirabegron) may increase your blood pressure. myrbetriq may increase your chances... ...of not being able to empty your bladder. tell your doctor right away if you have... ...trouble emptying your bladder or have a weak urine stream. myrbetriq may affect... ...or be affected by other medications... ...so tell your doctor about all the medicines you take. before taking myrbetriq, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney problems. common side effects include increased blood pressure, common cold symptoms, urinary tract infection, and headache. take charge by talking to your doctor about your oab symptoms and myrbetriq. find out if you can get your first prescription at no cost by visiting myrbetriq.com
9:20 am
the taser that michael slager used in his tussle with walter scott just may end up being a huge piece of evidence in slager's murder case. forensics may prove mr. walter scott did grab at that taser moments before being shot to death. that's what the officer said happened. this may be the model taser that slager used. it's an x-26 taser. to be clear, the police are not revealing exactly which model mr. slager used. but he was trained on this one, on the x-26. the police department will not tell cnn which model is on the hips right now of the officers and if that in fact was the officer's actual model in in incident. joining me live from phoenix is steve tuttle.
9:21 am
i'm so glad you have the opportunity to join us today. i know you've got some examples in the studio with you. i want to just sort of let you take a moment to show me sort of predeployment and post-deployment what the taser actually looks like. so go ahead and sort of walk me through it. >> sure. this is the x-26 right here. and this is a model that has a spare cartridge at the bottom. if i were to deploy this device, i would take the safety and put it in the up position. if the safety is off, it turns on a laser sight and you'll see the light turn on. if i depress the trigger, it would shoot out two probes up to 25 feet away. when you do that, the cartridge will be expended and this is a sample of one right here, of an expended cartridge. two of these probes come out. we need two to make connection. one's a positive, one's a negative.
9:22 am
to complete a circuit, they both have to be in contact very close to the skin or at least buried into the skin. that's easily done with these probes here. now, when it's deployed it also breaks apart little glass doors -- >> are they always green? >> at always. depends on the type of cartridge used. the green indicates it's a 25-footer. when it's also deployed, it has a piece of confetti. that confetti is called an anti-felony identification tag. it has a serial number that will match back unique to this particular cartridge. so we would see about 12 to 18 of these all over the ground, yellow and pink that would match back to that particular cartridge -- >> that confetti would end up at the site where the taser was shot? >> correct. they are found right behind the
9:23 am
probes where they sit here in the weapon. the compressed gas pushes those out and they spread out all in this wide pattern. and they will match back to a cartridge number that you won't be able to see here. it's laser etched in here. >> can you hold it up is i can see the size of it. >> it's really small. >> it is. >> when it's deployed, you want to have good contact with these particular wires. these go up to 25 feet away. it's designed to come out straight where the laser sight is. and the bottom probe goes down at an eight-degree downward angle. we do that to create spread between the positive and the negative. and that will then affect larger groups of muscles and get more nervous tissue. >> i want to do something if i can. i want to show you a piece of video and i want you to look very closely at what appears to be something black that is being tossed or dropped down beside mr. scott by the officer. it is so hard to make out.
9:24 am
but we've highlighted it and we've trying to to enhance the video as best possible so that you can get at least a slight view of the shape of it. but to the naked eye and to your trained naked eye, does that at all resemble what could be the x 26 or anything similar? there's the zoomed-in view, speak. >> that's a tough call. it's just not the greatest picture in the world, unfortunately. it could certainly be one. i just couldn't say definitively that's a taser x-26. >> so one thing i wanted to ask, if it's hard to make out that it is or isn't the taser, is it hard to tell me that it is absolutely not the cartridge because you showed me a pretty small piece. >> it looks sizable. certainly looked a little bit bigger than the cartridge here. this is the size of the cartridge here. and i'll put it in my hand to give you a little better
9:25 am
reference point here. it's pretty small. so the other device, i just don't know what that was. >> i think we have a slight delay, my apologies. but do the officers in training on your devices, do they know that that confetti goes out and many pieces of it go out into the location where it's deployed? i ask that because if that officer knew that, it wouldn't matter if you place the taser beside the person's body. the forensics will prove that tasing happened many dozens of feet back. >> that's a very good point to bring out. no matter what, every single person that's been trained on this device has had to fire one of these multiple times and it looks like a mess at the range because it's full of all this wire. and at that wire, you're going to have all these little green blasters all over the place but you also see the confetti. that's part of the training. you would know that's there. and we put that there
9:26 am
specifically for criminal use by civilians, if they want to use that. that's where the original concept came from. so from day one, it's been in there for the past 20 years. >> i'm so glad that you have worked this out for us. i think forensically that will be a lot that comes into this case. i don't know that it will change the metric of the video that we saw of a man being shot in the back as he ran away. but it may mitigate the kinds of charges that he's facing, the kind of charges that he may be found guilty or not guilty of and certainly if there's any sentencing, it may change that as well. i know you've been tased, so you know a lot of what you speak. steve tuttle, thank you so much for taking the time. i appreciate it. >> thank you, glad to be here. coming up next, a killer storm, a series of them that tore up towns in the midwest last night, the destruction is absolute. here is west of chicago. what a mess. what a disaster. these were neighborhoods and homes. scattered places across iowa and
9:27 am
missouri, we're going to take you to one of the places hardest hit and do a check-in. denver international is one of the busiest airports in the country. we operate just like a city, and that takes a lot of energy. we use natural gas throughout the airport - for heating the entire terminal, generating electricity on-site, and fueling hundreds of vehicles. we're very focused on reducing our environmental impact. and natural gas is a big part of that commitment. a 401(k) is the most sound way to go. let's talk asset allocation. sure. you seem knowledgeable, professional. i'm actually a dj. [ dance music plays ]
9:28 am
woman: [laughs] no way! that really is you? if they're not a cfp pro, you just don't know. cfp -- work with the highest standard.
9:29 am
9:30 am
it is the day after across parts of the midwest, the day after tornadoes and storms devastated rural communities across three different states. take a look at this. >> look, there goes cars! i saw headlights go flying. >> oh, my god, that's violent, you guys. >> that's got to be an ef4.
9:31 am
>> oh, it's hitting something. oh, my god. >> my god. you heard that storm chaser refer to an ef5. you only figure that out once it's done its damage and you measure by that manner. this is rochelle, illinois, 75 miles west of chicago. the tornado tearing through the city leaving a trail of destruction 25 miles long. imagine that in front of you. wow. right over. a semi. national weather service says more than a dozen tornadoes touched down across illinois, across iowa and missouri. but illinois was hit the hardest. a little north of rochelle, one woman was killed in her home. and right now, people in these devastated communities are just left to search through whatever they can find. and really it isn't much for a lot of people. but there are a lot of folks
9:32 am
coming together. and we're hearing some amazing stories of survival. our ryan young is live in rochelle, illinois. you've been talking to some people who rode this out in sho storm shelters and are now left with this recovery. take me there. >> reporter: we really are hearing those amazing stories, especially from 12 people who were inside a restaurant who said they actually saw that storm coming toward them. they all ran to a storm shelter. as the door closed, the roof collapsed on top of it. and for two hours, they were trapped on the inside. and then all of a sudden they started smelling fuel, gas. and they thought they were going to die there. somehow, someone was able to get cell phone service and was able to call 911. and firefighters had to cut the roof to free them from that storm shelter. you're hearing stories of survival all over this place. we're hear now because the governor is expected to come in this area and start touring some of the damage. when you talk to people, they all talk about how big that funnel cloud was. in fact, they've been watching the video.
9:33 am
they've been watching cnn. and what they don't understand is how something that big can stay on the ground for so long. and as you drive through the areas, you can go five and six miles without seeing any damage. and then all of a sudden as you turn the corner, you see large swaths of destruction. >> these pictures are just so unbearable. i'm always amazed when i see the aerial shots that show entire neighborhoods taken out and one house left behind. our thoughts go out to the people that you're talking to. thank you for telling their stories, ryan. ryan young is in illinois and will be continuing to update this story throughout the day. we'll learn a lot more about the damage when the governor of illinois holds a news conference. that's coming at 1:00 p.m. we'll bring to it you live just as soon as he takes to the microphone. now for this, if you're a political junkie, i hope i have your attention because the long wait is almost over. after months and months of teasing and speculation, cnn has learned that hillary clinton will, in fact, officially announce her presidential
9:34 am
candidacy on sunday. a person close to the clinton campaign says that her message will be delivered in a video via social media. and after the announcement, the former secretary of state, the former senator, the former first lady then has plans to travel to the early battleground states of iowa and new hampshire. so stay tuned, folks. it's going to be a long season. we'll take you back to south carolina in a moment where some very important new information came out today on the police shooting death of walter scott. but also one major mystery remains unsolved. just moments after the shooting, the police officer apparently dropped something near scott's facedown body. was that routine? was he trying to manipulate the scene? we're going to dig into it further. my advice for healthy looking radiant skin. a good night's sleep... and aveeno®. [ female announcer ] only aveeno® positively radiant has an active naturals® total soy formula. it helps reduce the look of brown spots in just four weeks.
9:35 am
aveeno®. naturally beautiful results™. i just got charged for my credit score...again. you should check out credit karma...they're like free. yeah?
9:36 am
yeah. how? ads. credit karma? yeah. cool! yeah. credit karma. really free credit scores. really. free. word. ...to your mother did you call your mom? i should probably call her... you should probably call her. it's her birthday.
9:37 am
9:38 am
one of the unanswered questions in the shooting death of walter scott is why he chose to run after being pulled over for a mere broken taillight. the dashcam video from the officer's patrol car shows mr. scott suddenly bolting from the mercedes that he was driving except for a passenger in scott's car, there was no one else who was visible. but a witness tells cnn in an exclusive interview that she saw mr. scott and the police officer tussle nearby to that field
9:39 am
shortly before mr. scott was shot to death. officer michael slager who was fired from his job in the north charleston police department is now sitting in a jail cell and he is charged with mr. scott's murder. the county sheriff tells cnn that officer slager is in a cell by himself, that he is isolated from the general population and that he is frequently being monitored for his mental health. video of officer michael slager's actions right after the shooting of walter scott is raising some troubling questions about what he was actually doing. was he, in fact, trying to plant evidence to justify the shooting or was it something else? our kyung lah reports. >> reporter: officer michael slager shooting walter scott is shocking enough, but it is this moment, says los angeles defense attorney, darren kavinoky, this is something he's never seen. >> it looks like the officer is dropping an object. we see him drop what appears to
9:40 am
be the taser there. i've never had any kind of corroborating evidence that this particular piece of tape represents. but i've heard the complaints over and over and over again. it's a common experience. >> reporter: frequent claims by suspects alleging police planting evidence have been difficult to prove. in the late 1990s, more than 70 officers in the lapd's rampart division were implicated in tampering with and planting evidence in thousands of cases. officers were fired or prosecuted. but the public never saw the lapd planting evidence. with more smartphones, more cameras and policing, there's more video capturing how police engage with the public. earlier this year, dashcam video captures a police stop in durbin detroit. a police officer approaches, gun drawn. 57-year-old floyd dent opens his car door and is dragged out. the police officer repeatedly punched dent in the head.
9:41 am
the officer says he was only protecting himself. the video captures the officer handling what appears to be a plastic bag. he says he retrieved it from underneath the passenger seat but dent's lawyer says the police planted drugs and charged dent with possession of crack cocaine. officer melendez is now on paid administrative duties while the city and state investigates. >> does it happen? yes. does it happen often? no. it's very, very rare that something like that does occur. >> reporter: harry houck is a retired nypd detective. he says just like there are bad people, there are bad cops. what haunts houck now, the fired officer's video appearance in court. >> what really caught my eye was the stoic look on his face. i saw no emotion. here was a man standing there who had just murdered a man as a police officer, standing there with no emotion at all.
9:42 am
i thought that was very telling to me. >> reporter: as far as whether or not there's been any sort of effort to track this nationally, we couldn't find anything comprehensive done, not by any governmental agency or an outside agency. defense attorneys and activists have long held the belief that this may be predominantly affecting poor minority communities. but there's just no data to support that. kyung lah, cnn, los angeles. >> thank you, kyung. after michael slager was charged with murder and then lost his job as a police officer, you at least some colleagues or friends or supporters to come to his defense. but we haven't seen that yet. so far, the only person who has spoken out in slager's defense is his own mother. and here is what she said. >> i can't imagine him -- he loved being a police officer. i can't imagine him doing something that -- it's just not like him. that's not his character.
9:43 am
but i just have to -- i just have to let it be and hope god takes care of everybody involved. not only my family but the scott family because i know they're grieving just like i'm grieving. >> and a mother's grief. there is nothing that matches it. about 90 minutes from now, a wake for walter scott will begin at a funeral home in north charleston. and you can bet his mother will be there, friends and family and the public are invited. the public is also invited to scott's funeral which is set for tomorrow morning in summaervill, south carolina. you total your brand new car.
9:44 am
nobody's hurt,but there will still be pain. it comes when your insurance company says they'll only pay three-quarters of what it takes to replace it. what are you supposed to do, drive three-quarters of a car? now if you had a liberty mutual new car replacement, you'd get your whole car back. i guess they don't want you driving around on three wheels. smart. new car replacement is just one of the features that come standard with a base liberty mutual policy. and for drivers with accident forgivness,rates won't go up due to your first accident. learn more by calling
9:45 am
switch to liberty mutual and you can save up to $423. for a free quote today,call liberty mutual insurance at see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance.
9:46 am
9:47 am
real drama in a massachusetts courtroom. the jurors are deciding if the former new england patriot star aaron hernandez is guilty or not of murder. he's accused in the 2013 killing of his friend, odin lloyd. our susan candiotti has been following the trial from the very beginning in fall river, massachusetts. i'm counting close to 14 hours and only ten-plus minutes until they're done for the day. any whisper from these jurors yet? >> reporter: not today, no. and actually it's more like 19 1/2 hours. over four days. they are supposed to break in about 15 minutes. and the thing is this, ashleigh. they asked the judge yesterday if they could only work a half day today. as you and i both know, oftentimes, jurors want to move forward, go through the weekend. but they'll be stopping in about ten minutes or so and then come back on monday.
9:48 am
assuming in the next ten minutes they don't announce that they have a verdict. so they will not be sequestered. they have not been since the start. and they're not working this weekend. now, here's what happens before they come in. before the jury walks in, aaron hernandez comes in. and today his fiancee was there, very serious look on both their faces. but it appeared to me as though he mouthed "i love you." on the other side of the courtroom the victim's family sits. and then the parties often break away. hernandez waits in a holding cell just off the courtroom while we all wait for the verdict. >> such high drama at this point because it's all coming to an end. susan candiotti, thank you for that. so why is it taking this long and is there an actual measurement for the number of trial days and the number of hours? you might be surprised. that's next. ♪ ah, ♪ h it. ♪ push it.
9:49 am
♪ p...push it real good! ♪ ♪ ow! ♪ oooh baby baby...baby baby. if you're salt-n-pepa, you tell people to push it. ♪ push it real good. it's what you do. ♪ ah. push it. if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance, you switch to geico. it's what you do. ♪ ah. push it. i'm pushing. i'm pushing it real good! getting older shouldn't mean giving up all the things she loves to do. it should just mean, well, finding new ways to do them.
9:50 am
right at home's professional team thoughtfully selects caregivers to provide help with personal care, housekeeping, and of course, meal preparation. oh, that smells so good. aw, and it tastes good, too. we can provide the right care, right at home.
9:51 am
9:52 am
any minute now, we could be getting a verdict in the aaron hernandez murder trial. the jurors are really hard at work, trying to figure out if that football star from the new england patriots is actually guilty of killing his friend, odin lloyd. and for the legal view, i want to bring in paul callan and heather hansen because everybody starts parsing, is a long verdict a good sign -- a long deliberation a good sign for the defense? is it something the prosecutors are thinking they've got? where does that lead you when
9:53 am
you hear, we are now beyond 19 hours? >> there's been surprisingly little formal research on this. i found an oregon study that suggests the longer they're out, the more likely it's going to be a not guilty finding. but surprisingly, while all lawyers tell stories, fast verdict means guilty, fast verdict means not guilty, everybody has a different theory about it. the oregon study is the only one that's been done. casey anthony, ten hours, not guilty. jerry sandusky, 20 hours, guilty. o.j. simpson, two hours -- >> two and a bit. >> not guilty. >> phil spector's second trial, 30 hours, guilty. scott peterson, out for seven days, guilty. that's a long deliberation. you'd think not guilty. charles manson, they were out for nine days, guilty. but that was a nine-month trial in the charlie manson case.
9:54 am
so it's kind of hard to see a pattern with it -- >> i think it depends on the evidence. the evidence that's presented here, there's so much evidence that was presented and for each thing the prosecution presented, the defense had an arguable defense to it. so when you've got the fiancee saying she took the box out of the house that may or may not have contained some evidence -- >> they have something they have to go over -- >> she said it smelled like marijuana. >> they did ask for some of the 400-plus exhibits. but i want to ask you this. you guys have both had to deal with clients who were nervous and you're nervous. what do you say? if you're aaron hernandez's attorney and you're sitting beside him and that court is watching you like a hawk, what are you telling him right now at hour 19 1/2? >> a lot of times what you're telling him is if the prosecution has come up to you and said, we're willing to make him an offer now, you might be
9:55 am
having plea negotiations. but in high-profile cases, that's not happening. so you're telling him not to be overly expressive in front of the jury and to keep it somber because it's a very, very serious moment. >> chill out. >> one of the things in this case, a lot of people have been saying he's laughing and yucking it up and having a good time in court. but other observers have said he's not doing that with the jury in the room. he om does that when the jury is not in the room. i'm not sure we can factor that sort of jocular approach he's taking -- >> never a good thing in a murder case, though. >> not in front of the jury. >> i think the attorneys have him on a pretty short leash as far as what he's doing. and remember, he's still facing a whole new trial in boston. this is just the first round for him. it's practice, really, no matter what happens. >> so i love the notion -- i have to make this quick. but i love the notion you just said you're hoping the prosecutors will come over and say, i'm a little nervous about this. how about a deal? but you don't think so either? >> no, not in this case.
9:56 am
you have another one coming. why bother? >> the hole in the prosecutor's case is motive. the jury is struggling motive. they didn't prove why he killed lloyd. >> when you're not allowed to bring in certain evidence that would give you that motive, your hands are tied behind your back. thank you both. i appreciate it. thank you, everyone. my colleague, wolf, will pick up the baton right after this quick break. we do expect to hear from the governor of illinois live on that tornado damage. he is poised to come out and take to that live american public and give us an update. cnn is on it.
9:57 am
big day? ah, the usual. moved some new cars. hauled a bunch of steel. kept the supermarket shelves stocked. made sure everyone got their latest gadgets. what's up for the next shift? ah, nothing much. just keeping the lights on. (laugh) nice. doing the big things that move an economy. see you tomorrow, mac. see you tomorrow, sam. just another day at norfolk southern.
9:58 am
won't keep you up at night.n know you have insights from professional investment strategists to help set your mind at ease. know that planning for retirement can be the least of your worries. with the guidance of a pnc investments financial advisor, know you can get help staying on track for the future you've always wanted.
9:59 am
10:00 am
hello. i'm wolf blitzer. it's 1:00 p.m. here in washington. 7:00 p.m. in paris. 9:30 p.m. in kabul. wherever you're watching from around the world, thanks very much for joining us. we are watching major stories unfolding this hour. hillary clinton here in the united states making it official. cnn's learned she'll formally announce she's running for president of the united states this sunday. and the south carolina police shooting, there's dashcam video that's been resembled. funeral preparations under way right now for walter scott. but we begin with a huge story in the midwest here in the united states. clean-up under way right now after as many as 14 tornadoes pp

65 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on