Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Brooke Baldwin  CNN  December 29, 2015 11:00am-1:01pm PST

11:00 am
you're watching cnn. i'm brooke baldwin. we begin with breaking news. here we have one day after tornadoes in these monster storms devastated large sections of the country, one town right now actually on the verge of going ushd water. union, missouri, the pictures tell you everything you need to know. they are now warning folks to get out. the access roads will be flooded in a water of hours. not if, but when. the floods there are covering homes, cars, restaurants, businesses, but the race is on to get these people out before it's too late. joining me by phone is seeing some of this flooding. we also have tom sather.
11:01 am
i'm going to ping-pong between the two of you. lauren, to you first. i saw your picture. i think we can show it. this is insanity all of this water. tell me where you are and what you're seeing. >> reporter: i'm in downtown st. charles right now. frontier park is completely under water. there's a pavilion that is absolutely surrounded. ducks are swim wrg my feet were two weeks ago. it's just mounds of water. they have all these walkways that i used to walk on completely blocked off because it's getting higher and higher. >> were you in your car when i saw a photo that was take skpn you had to be rerouted because the water was too much? >> yes, i was driving from my home in chesterfield to st. charles to do some shopping. i didn't raelsz how bad the flooding had gotten because i have been off to the side of it. and i drove a little north and
11:02 am
all of a sudden 141 was flooded. i had to take an alternate route. >> hang with me. i have a lot more i want to ask of you. but tom sater, let me pivot to you. we're talking about multiple towns and cities in missouri. some that are in particular dire straights as far as get. ing out. walk us through where we're talking about. >> i know this area well. born and raised in st. louis and flooding is no stranger to some areas. 1993 the historic year, mainly along the mississippi and the missouri rivers. i just drove back on sunday after a week's worth of rain. they had over 8, 9 inches of rainfall. you can see the stationary but let's break this down even more. it's more than just looking at flood watches. major rivers. you have the mississippi, obviously. everything flows into the mississippi. i have the missouri river, even down in areas of around little
11:03 am
rock we're seeing moderate flooding expect ed for the capital of little rock, but major flooding north and south of the cities there. let me break this down. this is a little confusing. we have several areas of concern. here's downtown st. louis. yes, it can flood. city parks flood. into the illinois side, but north of st. louis in between the missouri and the mississippi is west alton. maybe 55,000 population. i'm not quite sure. that's under evacuation. they did not have a levee breach, but what they had is over topping. that's just a as bad. because the number one cause for levees to breach is over topping. now the record flooding on the mississippi in 1993 hit a a stage of 49 feet. they are expected thursday morning to get. up to 44.8. that's the second highest level in history. down to the south on the mississippi, you have the mair mac. that's where the pictures have been coming in from union.
11:04 am
you get towards st. charles county, the missouri river. it's very confusing to e see all these pictures. so the union, you get on highway 44 out to highway 50, you're going to flood and will be closed down. that's a major highway. you get out to mid-rivers, that was closed a couple days ago u. that's a major interstate. traffic was closed and even on westbound down to elaine, that may be closed again. but this is where you have other communities that have seen flooding in the past. not just from union, but it will go to pacific, fen on to and then arnold. that feeds the mississippi. what we're going to see is even though we may not have a record crest in st. louis, we're seeing records on the merrimac. then in chester just shout, we are expecting an all-time record crest. back in 1993, they were at --
11:05 am
it's close to record. so even though some rivers are at record, they are still getting higher. some areas are going to recede, but it's going to take a couple days. second great. est flood we're seeing in the mississippi and missouri river. >> some of these towns are sounding familiar. we have covered flooding before. tom sater, we have you well positioned today as missouri boy to talk about what's happening back in your home state. we'll keep you close. final question to lauren there in st. charles. what are you doing now? are you being told to leave? >> no, nobody is being told to leave yet. this is pretty common with the missouri floods, but i'm going to be taking a different way home. my dad is actually out in union and said 44 is shut down there. >> i'm pretty safe where i'm at, but i'm going to avoid 141
11:06 am
because that's where the merrimac is headed. >> you know what you're talking about. thank you so much. stay safe to you and folks in these areas. we'll keep a close eye on missouri and the flooding situation there. in the meantime, a going away party before fleeing to mexico. shocking new details about the so-called affluenza teen. the 18-year-old has been nabbed by authorities along with his mother. officials have been hunting for the pair for several weeks after couch violated husband probation. his case infuriated a lot of people. ethan couch, making headlines after he avoided any jail time for killing these four people, plowing through a group while driving drunk two years ago. his defense attorney successfully arguing that his family's wealth meant he did not understand the limits or accountability.
11:07 am
take a listen to law enforcement talking about their planning the capture of these two. >> what we suspected all along that they had had planned to disappear. they even had something that was almost to a going away party before they left town. our suspicion that his mother was assisting him and helping him has proven true. so we followed those leads and e eventually led to puerto vallarta, mexico, where they were taken into custody. >> so let's begin. ed lavandera in dallas for me. so mom and son, they are still in mexico. what happens next? what exactly could these two be charged with? >> reporter: we are just hearing from mexican immigration officials say iing that the motr and son will be deported voluntarily back here to the
11:08 am
united states. mexican immigration official saying it's the wish of the mother and son to return back here to texas as well. but what awaits them is a much more serious circumstance than what they left here several weeks ago. authorities in fort worth say as soon as the pair is back here in the united states, the mother will be arrested on a charge of hindering the apprehension of a fugitive. she now faces up to ten years in prison for that. but it's the case of ethan couch that is much more up in the air at this point. technically ethan couch hasn't committed any new crimes. he's violated the terms of his probation. what happens with him is still very much up in the air. he will be sent to juvenile j l jail, but right now prosecutors here in fort worth what they are trying to do is get couch's juvenile case pushed from a juvenile court system into. the adult system, which they say will give them much more
11:09 am
protection and accountability and serious consequences for violating the terms of probation. but that hearing isn't scheduled until january 19th of next year, so it will take some time. then on top of all of this, ethan couch turns 19 in mid-april. so even if he were to be sneento jail, he would have to be released on his birthday. what happens then is very much up in the air. there's a series of possibilities that could happen with him. but all of this very much hinges on what the judge decides in january on what to do with his case and whether or not to move ethan couch's case to the juvenile system into. the adult system here in texas. >> wow, ed lavandera, thank you very much. i'm not finished with this. let's bring in judge larry sideland, who presided over the anna nicole smith trial. judge, nice to see you, sir. >> nice to be here. >> where to begin. let me ask you this. i have been wondering if you
11:10 am
were in the judge's shoes, who is now retired after she was the one who handed down the sentence of probation and treatment to the teen who killed the four people and then here we know the rest of the story. he and mom went on the lam to this resort in mexico. how would you be feeling as a judge right now? >> i would be pretty pissed off. the juvenile court is a court where you try to rehabilitate the children. i wonder why the prosecutor didn't file the case as an adult. why he wasn't brought into adult court. now you're in juvenile court. the judge is looking at his prior record. he has alcohol in a prior crime. and then there's three things you do when you sentence. one is to punish, one is to rehabilitate, and one is to deter other people from committing this kind of crime. the judge embraced only leniency
11:11 am
here. i would have thrown some years into the mixture. i would have placed him in a secure facility for a couple years at least. there was no jail time here. he hit the texas lottery in the criminal justice system by getting just lenient sentence. >> i'm so mindful of the families of these four people who were killed knowing that this young man was put on probation and then went off to mexico running away with his mother. here's what i also want to know. the ter rant county sheriff said that ethan couch and the mother that they had planned to disappear, they had had something akin to a going away party before they left town. knowing that, judge, how would you defend this young man moving forward? >> well, a lawyer is going to try to sell you the brooklyn bridge, obviously. that's their job. >> how? >> they are going to use that
11:12 am
term affluenza. he's a spoiled brat and e he should pay the price for taking four lives and injuring nine other human beings. and the judge is now retired collecting a pension from the texas court system. she's no longer involved in this. so the new judge, the fact that the media is on top of this case, the new judge will throw the book at him, but the bok is only a few more months because he turns 19. so the legal issue is can the prosecutor move this case to adult court and try to get adult sanctions, get some state prison time. it's a close question because double jeopardy is going to take effect. we have already gone through his case. we have already done a plea bargain. the supreme court of texas may not buy it. the local judge may allow that case to be transferred to adult
11:13 am
court because of the political ramifications. no one is exempt from the politics of these kinds of cases. >> judge, what about looking ahead if he were to serve time, as you're just mentioning. everyone knows about this it case, including inmates. how would he be treated behind bars? >> what happens is the superintendent in the prison -- when i was a legal adviser at the sheriffs department, we separate a kid like this. otherwise he will be sexually assaulted. so you separate him. there's separate fults for the juveniles that are now in adult court. he would have to be separated. but it's a legal maize we're going to have o to go through. and we're going to see as it progresses. i'm betting that the local texas judge that state court judge may allow that to go to adult court. because otherwise he's going to have tremendous ramifications
11:14 am
when he's up for reelection. but the supreme court of texas may say, kids, no go. this is double jeopardy. >> judge, thank you so much. we'll be watching. thank you, sir. a new year's attack thwarted. investigators say they have arrested two people for plotting in. brussels. cnn has learned the duo appears to have been inspired but not directed by isis. we are told there's no credible threat involving times square. elise lab by the join mess. >> they arrested six individuals, two of them have been charged with plotting a terrorist attack. you remember a few days ago,
11:15 am
there was a warning coming out of vienna. this seems to be connect ed in some way to that. we understand investigators are seizing propaganda during these raids. we are not sure whether, as you said, whether it was directed by isis but it certainly seems to be inspired. we dependent know exactly u where the attacks would be, but they do understand it was supposed to be in some type of large venue where a lot of people could have been including policemen. >> thwarted, the second item i wanted to ask you about was the french isis fighter linked to the terror attacks in paris. he was killed in an airstrike december 24th. what do we know about him? >> we're talking about
11:16 am
27-year-old, who was investigated for terrorist plotting several times include ing in 2012. he went to syria in 2013. we understand from cnn terrorist analyst paul cruickshank he was in touch with some of the plotters of the paris attacks, including the suspected ringleader, just days before the attack. we don't know if he had any role in the attacks per se, but certainly the fact that he was in touch with the plotters and perhaps the suspected ringleader certainly has raised eyebrows. the coalition says he's among ten isis leaders who have been killed in recent airstrikes. this guy was killed in syria. 27 years old, we don't know what a real isis leader he was, but certainly he was someone on the coalition's target list. >> elise, thank you. coming up next, the father of the unarmed college student killed by chicago police just over this weekend.
11:17 am
he will join me live on why he called for hen, what he saw and heard that night, and why he is now suing the city of chicago. plus a country singer right now is missing after sending an eerie tweet about going duck hunting during a storm. hear where they found his friend. much more on the breaking news. telling people to get out now before flood waters cover the entire area. we'll take you back there live to missouri. i'm brooke baldwin, we'll be right back back. mucinex fast max. it's the same difference. this one is max strength and fights mucus. mucinex fast max. the only cold and flu liquid gel that's max-strength and fights mucus. let's end this.
11:18 am
"are you okay?" "yeah, i just got charged for my credit monitoring. that's how i know it"s working." "ah. you know you can go on creditkarma.com and check it out there. it's completely free." "really?" "yeah" "oh, that didn't hurt at all." "yeah, completely painless." "credit karma. give yourself some credit."
11:19 am
you premium like clockwork. month after month. year after year. then one night, you hydroplane into a ditch. yeah... surprise... your insurance company tells you to pay up again. why pay for insurance if you have to pay even more for using it? if you have liberty mutual deductible fund™, you could pay no deductible at all. sign up to immediately lower your deductible by $100. and keep lowering it $100 annually, until it's gone. then continue to earn that $100 every year. there's no limit to how much you can earn and this savings applies to every vehicle on your policy. call to learn more. switch to liberty mutual and you could save up to $509. call liberty mutual for a free quote today at see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance.
11:20 am
mirrors. they show us all our problem areas... those places that we can't wish or squish away. well now fear no mirror, and eliminate those problem areas with coolsculpting - the patented cooling technology targets and kills fat cells, with no surgery or downtime. so if you want to see a slimmer you when you look in the mirror, go to coolsculpting.com today and choose from over two thousand providers nationwide. you're watching cnn, i'm brooke baldwin. to a deadly police shooting in chicago over the weekend. just a day after christmas.
11:21 am
the family of one of the vuk tims killed just filed a lawsuit against the city of chicago. the father alleges not only did police have no reason to shoot his son, but the officer who fired did not even try to give any medical care to the 19-year-old young man, who according to this lawsuit was still alive after he was shot. the sult adds that the father himself was forced from the scene as his son lay dying and the father was detained for hours under police questioning. police say officers were dealing with a combative subject when quintonio legrier was killed and they admit they accidentally killed a 55-year-old woman when targeting the teen. his father joins me along with his attorney. gentlemen, thank you for joining me and mr. legrier, to you, i'm so sorry for your loss. >> thank you, ms. brooke.
11:22 am
>> let me just begin with you. talking a little more about your son. quintonio ran a marathon for charity, raised money for children in africa, honor student in college, help us get to know him a little more. >> at this point, he was everything you just spoke of and more. he was a kind, generous son who always contribute nothing but the utmost respect for all people. his age, older, he was the model kid. he was that type of kid that would respect anyone of authority. he was a great son. the perfect son for me. he was a great son. he worked with me. i have my own business. i developed him to be an independent son and he was a great son. >> can you now take me back to saturday. you were the one who called
11:23 am
police on your son. can you first just tell me why? >> i heard a loud bang in my bedroom door. i could only assume it was my son because it was only him and i in the house. when i thought about it, i was asleep. when u woke up and thought about it after a second banging on the door, i called the police department because i wasn't equipped with being able to understand how to deal with my angry son at that time because i figured the police would know better how to handle an angry situation that my teenage son was going through. so i called the police. >> can i ask you about that
11:24 am
without divulging personal information. when you talk about your son was angry, you told the "chicago sun-times" that he had had some just knowing that, as you would as a father would know about his son, did you relay that when you called 911? >> at this point i can't remember what i said exactly. i know that when the call was made, i had just been. awoken from asleep so i'm not sure exactly what i said. at this point in time, i can't remember. >> so you know that your son, you believe he has this bat and is banging on your door at 4:00 in the morning. you're aroused from sleep. you call your neighbor saying i'm calling police. let them come in when they arrive. . tell me what happened once police arrived at your home. >> in all fairness, i was in the
11:25 am
bedroom. i called ms. jones to indicate that there was some noise in the house and that she was not to open her door because i'm not sure exactly what was going on while i waited for the police to come. i only did it out of concern for her and her family's safety. >> and then police arrive and what happened? >> i heard a noise, which was a voice saying whoa, whoa, whoa, to my knowledge, i can't accurately remember. but it was along those lines. i proceeded down the staircase from my apartment on the second level. as i got a quarter way down the staircase, i heard gunshots. i stopped at that point in time because i didn't know for sure where those shots were coming
11:26 am
from. and after that the gunshots stopped. i proceeded further down the stairs displaying my hands indicating that i -- i'm sorry, ms. brooke. >> no, i'm sorry. >> i'm so sorry, give me one second. >> indicating that i was the father and i was the one that called. and when i got to the bottom of the steps, i noticed the torso at first of someone in a stance in the grass. i did not know clearly as he was an officer or who he might have been. i got to the be the of the stairs on the landing, i recognized someone standing there, dark hair, light skin, spanish or perhaps caucasian race. u noticed the gesture.
11:27 am
i can't believe it. i thought he was coming at me with that bat. the word "f", it was yelled. u proceeded to look to my right. i saw my son laying there. i saw his legs. he was approximately three feet inside ms. jones' doorway. i wanted it to reach out and grab him, but i wasn't trained in cpr so i didn't know what to do. please r forgive me, ms. brooke. my son was laying there and he was still alive and moving. and no one at all assisted him at any time while he was there. at which point i looked back and saw ms. jones laying there.
11:28 am
once again, yelled, screamed as loud as i can. someone get an ambulance. someone get someone to help my son. that's all i could think to say. at that time, an officer approached me and asked me if anyone else was upstairs. i replied no. he walked past me and wept innt the unit. i continued to stand there and request an ambulance assistance or some police assistance to assist my son because i know he's still alive. i see him moving, but no one would reply to help my son or ms. jones. at this point, an officer approached me and asked me what's going on, calm down, calm down. i replied, that's my son. get him some assistance.
11:29 am
no one did anything. once the paramedics approached the porch, they proceeded on to the porch. i looked back in the the hallway and see them dragging my son out. not to roll him over to give him cpr. just to put him on the gurney and roll him away. no one administered cpr at any point. no one. at this point, i didn't know what to say or what to do. as i saw my son and ms. jones be roll ed away with no one assisting them. i begged, i plead that they assist them with cpr, yet no one assisted them at all. all i can do was say, why, why my son. everyone is looking at me. all i can think is why did this have to happen. i don't know why. i don't know why. >> i don't know -- i cannot even
11:30 am
begin to pretend to understand what it is like to walk in your shoes right now. i am so sorry. after christmas to lose your child, your neighbor, this 55-year-old woman who opens the door. she ends up getting shot accidentally. police acknowledged that. i want to guf you a minute and just doing my job and my due diligence, if i may just part of -- do not apologize. please, please, please. but let me make sure this is what chicago police say. the responding officers were confronted by, this is quoting them, a combative subject resulting in the discharging of the officer's weapon, which fatally wounded two individuals. the 55-year-old female victim was accidentally struck and tragically killed. the department extends its de deepest condolences to the vick item's family and friends. so that is from the chicago police department. we know they are going to do
11:31 am
this independent review. and let me just get to this wrongful death lawsuit filed two days after your son was killed. this is to either of you if if you want to take a minute, mr. legrier. tell me why. >> first, i want to address the fact that there's this information out there about a combative subject. what we know is that, as you just heard, quintonio was inside the building when he was shot. and the police officer who shot him was outside the building 20 to 30 feet away. so this is just after the fact justification trying to justify what happened. the facts don't bear that, from what i understand, occurred. as far as the wrongful death lawsuit is concerned, i think it has to be filed. >> do you want to take a minute. this doesn't seem right. u don't feel right. >> forgive me. let's take a break. we'll be right back.
11:32 am
11:33 am
11:34 am
11:35 am
we're back with an emotional and exclusive interview with a father that just lost his 19-year-old son over the weekend in chicago. this police involved shooting. the father is antonio legrier. his son was an honor student in college, age 19, shot and killed saturday, the day after christmas. his attorney joining us. we're back, just wanted to give you both a moment. where we left off, gentlemen, i
11:36 am
appreciate you staying with me. where we left off was asking about the wrongful death lawsuit. explain to me because as i read it, according to the wrongful death lawsuit, mr. legrier, your son, quote, did not present any danger or threat of harm to anyone immediately proceeding the aforesaid shooting. . so then why call police in the. first place? just trying to understand. >> antonio already explained. the whole purpose was to get help. he felt that the police was better. equipped and trained in order to deal with an angry teen. he just got woken up. that's the purpose. that's what you're supposed to do. when you need help, everyone is told you call the police. and that's what he did. he certainly didn't expect that someone would be shot and killed. >> mr. legrier, i know a moment ago you were explaining as best
11:37 am
as you could your anger, your sadness, your frustration in seeing your son shot on the floor wanting paramedics to attend to him. i understand you were pulled away in that moment to be questioned, is that correct? >> yes, i was. ufs first questioned inside the apartment. then i was taken from the building to the police station. >> he was required to stay there until they were done questioning him. >> i was concern ed about my so. i did not know the status of my son. whether he was alive or deceased. i was denied for up to eight hours to even leave the building, to even find out information about the well-being of my son or ms. jones. i feel like i was robbed of everything. i don't mean to speak so emotional, but you see the gravity of the situation. i feel that everybody took
11:38 am
everything from me in telling me i have to sit in a room and answer questions about something that happened so fast that it's just unbelievable that i had to sit there and not know the fate of my son and ms. jones. all i wanted to do was help everythi everyone in the building. >> it's particularly unfeel iin. they knew he was the father of the person who had been shot. one of the people that were shot. they required himg to sit in a conference room in a police department and answer questions. so that's not something you should be doing. at the minimum, you should allow this father to to grieve before you start questioning him. the investigation started off on a bad foot and it's a shotty investigation from what i know. as a matter of fact, they still haven't finished the forensic investigation. i got a call today from the independent police review authority they want to go back to the scene to conduct a
11:39 am
forensic investigation. why didn't they do that before there were reporters all over there. there were press conferences over there. it's been trampled. you haven't gone there yet to conduct a forensic investigation? why wasn't this done before anybody was let in? >> u can't speak to the forensics, but i understand r your questions are valid questions. the question being why. do either of you know? was there any kind of video that exists of what happened that you all know of? >> what i can tell you is there are half a dozen houses surrounding the home that all have video cameras pointed in various directions. and what i have been told is that the police went to these various homes and confiscated and took video from these homes. there's certainly video of something. whether it detupicts the shooti
11:40 am
or not, i don't know. the police department has all that video, as far as i know. >> that will obviously be a piece of this as well. mr. legrier, i don't have to tell you this. your son's death comes at a time of deep frustration and anger and sadness over n this country over officer-involved shootings. not just in chicago, but. elsewhere as well. right around this time yesterday we were sitting in this same seat talking about tamir rice in cleveland, who just yesterday the grand jury result was that they will not be charging criminally either of these officers who are involved in his shooting and death. i had a "new york times" opinion columnist and a father charles blow called into the show and he was very authentically emotional asking this question what are we supposed to tell these parents who are losing their children
11:41 am
and you, sir, are one of those parents now. how would you answer that question? >> well, one of the things i think we need to do, and i say it from my heart, we need to get more involved in our kids' lives or, in some cases, our parent's lives or in some cases our grandparent's lives because people have issues and sometimes it's hard to talk about. we just push them aside and go on with our day-to-day. and sometimes they just need to be told i'm loved and i need to be loved and be able to express themselves. that will help. it's a start. quite naturally, no one expected the chicago police department to just start shooting into a dorway where a young man may or may not have had a weapon when the door opened. maybe it was an inexperienced officer who wasn't trained on how to respond to these situations. i'm not sure what it is. all i know is right now two
11:42 am
innocent people are dead because an officer made a decision that was not the right one. and i do this interview and the lawsuit so no one can just walk away and sweep it under the rug because my son's life will not be in vein. i need the nation to know that i, father of quintonio legrier, raised a good son that went to school, had good grades and had a beautiful future in front of him that was snuffed out by inexperienced officers that is obviously running rampant throughout the united states. we need to put a hold on this. it's not our place to do it. . all we can do is teach our children to obey authority and hopefully they won't get shot. i can only say that this time because this is my case. it's what my son did. he got shot. i wasn't there when the firing was done, but i was there after.
11:43 am
i saw the officer response that he was, in fact, sorry. i'd like to say my condolence goes out to his family, ms. jones' family and my family because this don't just affect one side. it affects everyone. that officer knew he was wrong. and he showed emotion about that. i can't put myself in a staut of mind at this moment, but i'm sure he's hurting as well because he has to live with the fact that he shot blindly into a doorway without thinking about who or what he would hit. i hear this comment about ms. jones all over the place as this victim. i do understand and respect it wholeheartedly, but i'm the father. i'm a victim. my son is a victim of someone that made a mistake that just shot wildly into a doorway.
11:44 am
no matter which way it turns out, we can never bring ms. jones nor quinn totonio back, b want to be the first one to say i am now his voice. i'm his voice. i'm all he got to tell his story. i called the police department because i wanted someone to try to help him with whatever he was going through because i was not trained. but i never once thought once he entered that staircase that his life would e ended by someone who didn't know what to do. now in this case, my only son is gone and i don't know what to do. tell me what to do. i'm doing the best i can. >> brooke, i think antonio has had enough. >> i appreciate your voice. there are no words. just i'm sorry. antonio legrier.
11:45 am
thank you. >> thank you for having us. >> thank you, ms. brooke. >> we'll be right back. [cough, cough] mike? janet? cough if you can hear me. don't even think about it. i took mucinex dm for my phlegmy cough. yeah...but what about mike? he has that dry scratchy thing going on. guess what? it works on his cough too. cough! guess what? it works on his cough too. what? stop! don't pull me! spoiler alert! she doesn't make it! only mucinex dm relieves both wet and dry coughs for 12 hours with two medicines in one pill. start the relief. ditch the misery. let's end this.
11:46 am
11:47 am
11:48 am
with that, now to the war on terror. and a troubling development in afghanistan. the resurgence of two terror groups not named u.s.ist. the taliban claiming speedome i responsibility for this car bombing. there's this "new york times" report that al qaeda is now showing a comeback with camps sprouting up in afghanistan. why is this important? there's a quote from the former. deputy director of the cia. quote, i do worry about the rebirth of al qaeda in
11:49 am
afghanistan because of what their target list will be -- us. the resurgence buzz just like t- before the taliban will give al qaeda a safe haven. david rode, our cnn global affairs analyst who was held captive for seven months and escaped in 2009. good to see you, sir. when i first read this, i thought, of course, u.s. intel never would keep their eye off al qaeda. but to hear those words, your response to that. >> i'm surprised. this was this huge camp in a very remote part of southern afghanistan. it was 30 miles wide and it was an attack that went on for several days and there were 200 fight. ers killed in. the attacks. so it's surprising to me. it's a real setback and a problem where there are these ungoverned spaces as they have left afghanistan and these group. s move right back into that vacuum. >> the word vacuum. we have used it many times when
11:50 am
it comes to this. here's my question. afghanistan and this is al qaeda. it's like the devil e we know. we have been talking so much about isis. i've even lost track of time. is there any kind of advantage if you are al qaeda not making massive headlines globally for them back home. >> i think so. it's just a victory for them to be active again in afghanistan because they were so publically hue o milluated in 2001. so i think they are working locally and are being clever. i don't think it's hopeless. there's some good news in terms of iraq forces trained rea taking ramadi. the lesson here is we have to have small amounts of troops probably special forces training local forces, carrying out raids in these countries for a long time. not 100,000 ground troops as we did in iraq and afghanistan.
11:51 am
we can't just leaf because these local forces are not holding. >> as it pertains to that point shs there was an off chute created at the time of the october raid to rival isis. we have talked a lot about this competition between these terror groups. how would isis then respond to this victory in afghanistan, are th reemergence? >> they would want to carry out their attack in afghanistan. there was a a suicide bombing in pakistan today that could have been carried out by this new affiliate of al qaeda. so it's the same problem. whether it's attacks in paris where they are trying to one up each other or attacks in afghanistan with this competition that continues. that's why we have to be patient, stay in these places. there's no quick solutions. a lot of the rhetoric you hear we can pull out, it's not our problem, that's not true. we can't just put 100,000 troops and have them sit there. we have to work with local allies and i think slowly that
11:52 am
could be a strategy that will succeed. >> good to see you, thank you so much. coming up next, donald trump stepping up attacks on bill clinton. but it turns out he has not always felt this it way about the former president. will his words come back to haunt him? plus that teen who escaped jail time by using the affluenza defense is capture d. hear about the going away party they threw and how authorities managed to track him down. stay right here.
11:53 am
11:54 am
11:55 am
we are back. donald trump is rachtcheting up attacks against bill clinton. trump today, as you would expect, not mincing words. not just referring to bill clinton's abuse of women, but
11:56 am
name dropping specifically monica lewinsky and saying those would be fair game. let's rewind for a second. that's not what mr. trump said back in 008 when he sat down with wolf blitzer. >> look at the trouble bill clinton got into with something that was totally unimportant. they tried to impeach him, which was nonsense. yet bush got us into this horrible war with lies by lying, by saying they had weapons of mass destruction, by saying all sorts of things that turned out not to be true. >> let's bring in our chief political correspondent dana bash. so it's the then versus the now. what is the now saying about the then? with regard to donald trump? >> it's an interesting explanation. and it's basically, okay, so i said it, but that's because i am and was a billionaire and businessman and it was my
11:57 am
obligation to make nice with politicians. he was asked about it on the "today" show. listen to him in his own words this morning. >> i got along with the clintons. i got along with the republicans, the democrats, the liberals, the conservatives, that was my obligation as a businessman. i had to get along with everybody and i'll be able to do that as president. >> so his base. ic answer was i was playing the game. i scratch your back, you scratch my back, and that's how the game of politics is played if you are somebody with a lot of money and the politicians or maybe in this case a former politician, somebody with a foundation wants their money. you were just showing some pictures of the two men on the golf course. it's hard to see that it was kind of a typical politician and rich guy relationship because they did play golf quite frequently together. and there are other points in
11:58 am
their pasts where they called one another a friend. >> with that said, flipping the script, what about bill clinton? we're days from him emerging as a force on the campaign trail for his wife. how do you think bill clinton will address donald trump moving forward having heard what donald trump has now said? does he get down into name calling or rise above it and move on? >> my guess is it's going to be somewhere in between. he's going to address it in a way not only bill clinton can do, but frankly only the man who is accused of doing all these things can do it. because so far, hillary clinton is mum about it. her campaign put out a statement saying she's not going to let a bully like donald trump run her over whether he's saying things about her or her husband. she just moments ago finished up a campaign event in new
11:59 am
hampshire. she didn't mention it. she wasn't asked about it, but she was asked about this by when she was shaking hands with voters. she clear lly heard him and decided not to answer. she's trying to stay above it. that's her m.o. so far. >> dana bash, thank you. >> thank you. here we go. top of the hour, you're watching cnn. we are one day after tornadoes and monster storms devastating large sections of this country. . . the governor of missouri has activated the national guard as one town right now is on the verge of actually going under water talking about union, missouri. here are the pictures. they are now clearly warning folks to get out of town because these access roads will be flooded in just a couple hours. the floods there are covering cars and restaurants and homes. but really truly the race is on
12:00 pm
to o get folks out before it's too late. let's go live to meteorologist tom sater, who is from missouri, who knows about this all too well. talk to e me about what towns are in the danger zones. where do we stand at this hour? >> this is a multi-event. there are several communities dealing with the flooding. the problem is not just one river. there are many rivers. i spent the last week. it rained every day. a stationary front continued to drop one thunderstorm after another. so the watch is sure in effect. but the problem we have in st. louis is not just the mississippi river chrks is rising. and should get to the second highest levels in history. it's backing up the water from flowing into the mississippi from the missouri river. so when you look at the amount of rainfall, it's best to break it down to show you exactly the communities that we're dealing with. first of all, north of st. louis, here's along the mississippi. west alton, it's a flood prone
12:01 pm
area. there's evacuations taking place there. it's right in between the missouri river and the mississippi. now the city of alton in illinois will be safe, but that's just one area. st. charles, this is historic area along the missouri river so there's flooding there. some of these records we're going to e see are going to be at least close to 1993 levels. maybe just 5 feet below the '93 in downtown st. louis, but it's to the south. when you have union, missouri, when you have rivers that have risen 30 feet since saturday and those are all making its way into the next community, union is a pretty good sized city. then you have pacific and fenton and arnold. but because the mississippi is rising, it is holding back the water and all of these other rivers and even smaller rivers. south st. louis, they called an emergency for sandbaggers to come out last night because when the river starts to rise, it
12:02 pm
floods historic towns. so even though driving back you can see the flooding and all of the areas in missouri and illinois, this is going to take awhile adds we're going to continue to see the rivers rise. as you look at some of these pictures. here's some of the sandbagging going on. union is seeing the worst of it. it has to make its way through all these communities. 34 feet, 30 since saturday. what we're going to find when that makes its way through these other communities to the mississippi, south of mississippi on the mississippi river is chester. they are looking at historic level that will surpass that of 1993. the rivers in the cities along the merrimac, those go back to 1982 and those will all be shattered. we're looking at multiple areas to the north of st. louis, to the west, downtown has some flooding, mainly along areas of the cobblestones, more flooding
12:03 pm
in some of the city parks. but it's along the merrimac that's a big concern. it's going to take days for all this water to start to recede and make their way through eeac community as it feeds into the mississippi. so it's going to take a couple days. then we'll watch the crest make their way down to historic towns along the mississippi. >> no doubt we'll have crews on the ground telling these stories. tom sater, thank you so much. we'll keep you on standby for any developments there. meantime, we are now getting word from immigration officials in mexico that the so-called affluenza teen and his mother want to return to the united states voluntarily. ethan couch and his mother were captured in mexico pleaing after throwing a going away party. ethan couch making headlines after he avouded jail time for
12:04 pm
kill iing four people. these four people. plowing through all four of them while driving drunk on a texas road two years ago. his defense attorney successfully arguing that his family's wealth meant he did not understand limits or accountability. law enforcement speaking a short time ago. >> what we suspected all along that they had planned to disappear. that they even had something that was almost akin to a going away party before they left town. our suspicion that his mother was helping him has proven true, we believe. so we followed those leads and eventually led to puerto vallarta, mexico, where they were taken into custody. >> let's talk about this. gentlemen, nice to see both of you. and art, let me begin with you.
12:05 pm
from a former u.s. marshal perspective, here these two were in this beautiful resort town in mexico having fled. in in your experience of trying to find fugitives, was that just one stop on the journey on the run? or do you think they thought we're in mexico and are home free? >> i think that very well could have been a stop. there's a couple things you have to look. were they goingt to continue further south into central america or were they waiting actually for that 120 days to come up for his birthday, which i believe was coming up on april 11th, which would have made whatever charge he had under the juvenile side of it i guess more or less go away. this was the intereting thing about this case. it's not a federal case. it's a state case. there's the whole juvenile aspect of it, which throws everything up in the air as to what's going to happen here when
12:06 pm
he eventually comes back tomorrow afternoon. >> to you tom, he's 18. he's going on 19 in just a couple months. so the question is is he tried as a juvenile or as an adult? how do you think they will sort of weigh that and how would that then -- how would his punishment change contingent upon juvenile versus adult? >> this affluenza defense was attacked by the media. and it was not based in irrationality. . it was a logical defense. >> how do you mean? >> people do not teach their children to follow the law like everybody else. they don't teach them boundaries. this mother's behavior in reportedly helping him flee confirms that defense. this mother is not teaching her child boundaries. not teaching her child that had he is to follow the law like
12:07 pm
everyone else. i think this irrational behavior of fleeing to mexico makes no sense if that's where you want to flee you're looking to get caught. so i think the defense is going to try and keep this in the juvenile justice system where the penalties are far less severe. my understanding is the prosecutor now wants to move this probation case into adult court, which u don't think is appropriate. if it began in juvenile court, it should end in juvenile court. but this aflunz is a sa defense is not irrational. the defense attorney had a good reputation in that courthouse with the judge and this mother's behavior is confirming the validity of the defense. >> it sounds to me like this is like a foreshadowing to how one could defend him moving forward depend iing on whether he's tri as an adult or juvenile. it was mom and this notion of
12:08 pm
not knowing right from wrong. do you think that's how they will play it out? >> i know a lot of pop don't like to hear this defense, but it has logic to it. why should she hold a party right before they flee justice if that's what she did. she's enabling her child and she's bringing him up reportedly to think he's above the law and doesn't have to follow it like everybody else. it's not totally the son's fault. if the parents are raising him this way, that's a problem with the parents. >> let me just channel so many people watching right now who are listening to you and thinking you have got to be kidding me, whether you have money or not, you need to be taught right from wrong. the i'm mindful as well of these families of these four people who were killed in this accident and then they see this young man fleeing to mexico with his mom. >> what it confirms and proves is mom is not teaching him to follow the law, not bringing him up properly and not teaching him
12:09 pm
that he walks into court with no more rights than anybody else. if the mother did what she's reportedly doing, she's still teaching this juvenile that he's above everybody else. that's not right. >> so even though he's older than 18 because it started in juvenile court, traditionally it should land in juvenile court again? >> that's what i believe. i don't practice in texas. obviously, the laws are different from california where i am and in california they are constantly trying to bring juveniles into adult court. it's a current trend. but if this case began in juvenile court, that's where it should end. i don't think he should be treated differently buzz of all the publicity. the fact is what he did was wrong and what his parents are doing if all the reports are correct is absolutely wrong and it confirms he's not being raised properly. he's not being taught to follow the law like everybody else. >> art, you wanted to jump in.
12:10 pm
>> i did because i think it's going to be interesting to see what reports come from the mexican state police. in mexico to see what he's been doing since he's been down there. i heard some reports that say he's been intoxicated every day. there's a possibility, possibility, it hasn't been confirmed, there that there might be weapons involved which would be a legitimate thing to do if you're going to go on the run. especially to mexico is to make sure you have some weapons with you. so i'm not sure if any of that can be used here in the u.s. in our court system, but he is 18 at this point. he obviously was acting out of the bounds of whatever his probation is. and usually in federal court the first thing they are going to do is pull the passports and they did not do this in this particular case. >> reports of intoxication and weapons, my goodness. if that's the case, this is about to get even more sticky.
12:11 pm
thank you both so much. we'll stay on that. just ahead here on cnn, a terror plot targeting new year's eve thwarted and the plan involved isis and military style outfits. we know the specific target. also the police officer accused of murdering a teen in chicago firing 16 shots. the whole thing caught on video. he just appeared in court. he entered his plea. you can see massive media presence. protesters were also confronting him. we'll show you what happened in court. and hear about the presidential candidate who had had one person show up at his event in iowa. . one person. and apparently it was not even a supporter. we'll be right back.
12:12 pm
moderate to severe crohn's disease is tough, but i've managed. except that managing my symptoms was all i was doing. and when i finally told my doctor, he said humira is for adults like me who have tried other medications but still experience the symptoms of moderate to severe crohn's disease. and that in clinical studies, the majority of patients on humira saw significant symptom relief. and many achieved remission. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas
12:13 pm
where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, remission is possible.
12:14 pm
12:15 pm
first chicago officer to be charged r for killing someone while on the job pled not guilty in court today. and before jason van dike faced the judge, he heard punishing wrds from protesters as he was walking into court. >> who was the reporter? >> vrgts say the victim was carrying a 4-inch knife when the officer shot him 16 times in 15 seconds in october of last year. van dike is charged with six counts of first-degree murder and one charge of official misduct. release of the video has led to some protests and high level
12:16 pm
firings and the police agency reforms in chicago. let's go straight to chicago to our correspondent there rosa flores and also with me in new york is debra cohen. . thank you for joining me. rosa is in chicago, tell me about what happened in court today. >>. hi, brooke. the actual arraignment took moments and e with know that jason van dike pled guilty to the charges of misconduct as well. and pretrial motions were set for a month from today. but a few other topics also came up. first of all for the family, they were asking for a fair trial and they would like cameras in the courtroom. that's not the norm in illinois, but now those motions are going to take place. and la-quan's family asking for cameras to be in the courtroom. you and i know how powerful that can be, the image of both the
12:17 pm
defendant and the entire process because we have seen so much about this vud owe. now the other topic in question is a possible change of venue. as of now, jason's attorney say he is doesn't plan to make that motion. take a listen. >> we're certainly going to explore every possibility that we have, which guives my client the best opportunity for a fair trial. if we make a decision that the change of venue is something needed in order for my client to get a fair trial, e we will explore that option. >> now i want to take you into the courtroom for just a moment. because we have seen that video of jason van dike walking into the courthouse and protesters around him screaming things at him. we have seen him with a very stoic face. today for the first time, we get to see him inside the overflow
12:18 pm
room where he has to wait like everyone else for the judge to call him up. for the first time actually saw him interact with someone, break a smile, he looked like he was joking a bit with an individual who was in the court with him. that's the first time that i've seen it since we started covering this proceeding. so that just comes to show what you can see if you're actually able to see the trial on television. if cameras are allowed inside. those are the kind of video that the family is hoping that everyone can see. >> we mentioned a moment ago this officer was greeted by protesters as he's walking into court. let's try that video again. >>. shoot an unarmed black man. >> so with that, e let me bring you in.
12:19 pm
it was the video. it was the video of the 16 shots fired that was finally released. my question to you would be what would be the first line of defense if you're defending this officer. i imagine discrediting the video altogether. how? >> well, officer van dike took mcdonald's life on a chicago street and now officer van dike and his lawyer are fighting for his life within the chicago courtroom. and keep in mind that a courtroom is an intimate place. and so while the vud owe may be the most critical piece of evidence and the defense lawyer is going to want to sshlly slow it down frame by frame to try to convince the jury or the judge if there isn't a jury that there are things that were happening that the video is not showing clearly. and fill in the gaps and try to
12:20 pm
make the officers fear pr his life or the life of others at the hands of mr. mcdonald seemed to be a reasonable fear. one of the things that the defense lawyer is going to do is essentially start stage managing, if you will, the courtroom before the trial even get. s underway. >> how do you mean? >> he's going to be -- they are going to be very aware of how their client is dressed, the facial expressions he has. your reporter was talking about him cracking a smile. the defense lawyer is going to counsel to be aware of the fact that if there's a jury that a jury in a a courtroom is watching every move that the lawyer and the defendants make. so be. very careful. >> and the fact that the family want the cameras in a courtroom which isn't done in the state of illinois. do you think that may be something that they would grant?
12:21 pm
>> it's possible. we do have a bloef in this country that trials are supposed to be open. that people have a right to know. there are concerns whenever particularly there's a police shooting case about the transparency and the integrity of the process. i'm not sure that from the officer's point of view cameras in the courtroom would necessarily be the worst thing in the world. depending on how effective his lawyer can be in humanizing him and to making the people watch the trial stand in his shoes at the moment that he shot. i think the biggest challenge that his defense lawyer is going to have is not necessarily the first few shots that the officer fired, but the numerous shots that were fired once mr. mcdonald was on the ground. >> thank you. we'll be covering it thoroughly.
12:22 pm
now to this. the u.s.-led coalition. an isis leader connected to the paris attacks has been killed in an airstrike. we're told the syrian based member offiste isis with a dire link to the ringleader. joining me is paul cruickshank. nice to see you, sir. tell me more about this man. >> hey, brooke. this suspect is a french isis fighter, 27 years old, he traveled a couple years ago from france to syria. he was killed in this strike the day before christmas day. and french sources close to the investigation to the paris attacks telling us that he was in touch with the paris plotters in the days before the attacks. the anti-isis coalition has said
12:23 pm
that he was in touch at a certain point with abdelhamid abaaoud, the ringleader behind t the plot. during the siege. at the theater, there were some of the survivors who overheard two of the attackers talking about possibly phoning up somebody during the actual attack. and he also is connected to one of the bataclan attackers. so lots of ties between him and the paris attacks but what they are trying to figure out is whether he had some kind of command and direct role from syria or perhaps he didn't have any role at all and just happened to be in touch. they are still not sure of that completely, the french investigators, right now. >> so that's the one item i wanted to ask you about. number two, belgium, this plan apparently some sort of attack
12:24 pm
on new year's eve thwarted. tell me about that. >> quite, tra ordinary. an isis-inspired plot to hit the center of brussels, potentially to hit the main square here in brussels. crowded spaces, military facilities, police stations. we're hearing from counterterrorism officials that this duo who was arrested for plotting this it attack were members of a muslim biker gang. this is a biker gang here in the brus. ls area that has been on the radar screen in previous years of counterterrorism investigators here a couple years ago. one of its leaders had been in touch with this brother in discussing a plot to hit brussels. and they had learned belgium authorities that this biker gang had been discussing the idea of launching these attacks here in
12:25 pm
the capital and during the new year secelebrations. because they are part of biker gang and had potential access to weapons and these individuals have been involved in robberies in the past, they felt they couldn't take any chances because they could get weapons easily. when they went in, they found that they didn't have weapons or explosives yet. but they had to move in as soon as they learn ed that there coud be a potential risk here in the capital. we're hearing it wasn't eminent in the sense that it was about to happen. that's why they didn't raise the alert level up to 4, the maximum level here in belgium, like they did several weeks ago a week after the paris attacks. but significant concern here in belgium as we approach the new year celebrations that somebody inspired by isis could try to do something to destroy everybody's holidays here. >> thwarted, thank good neness.
12:26 pm
. paul cruickshank, thank you so much. coming up next, donald trump is going on another tirade saying that jeb bush is dumb, bill clinton is terrible and chris christie has been a disaster for new jersey. we'll take you live to iowa just hours before his next rally. plus iraq's prime minister plans a flag in ramadi. but local leaders dispute what he says about the army's victory there. e details, ahead here on cnn.
12:27 pm
12:28 pm
12:29 pm
bottom of the hour, you're watching cnn, i'm brooke
12:30 pm
baldwin. in our latest cnn poll, donald trump leads by 21 points. not taking it easy on his republican opponents here on democrats hillary clinton and bernie sanders or on bill clinton, because his comments when it comes to the former president are only getting stronger. >> that's what they said. they called him a racist. it was a miserable campaign. he did very poorly. they are bring. ing him out again. he's being wheeled out and we're going to see what happens. there were certainly a lot of abuse of women and you look at whether it's monica lewinsky or paula jones or many of them and that certainly will be fair game. if they play the women's word, that would be fair game. >> es calating war of words, bil clinton isn't even on the trail yet. jeff zeleny is join iing me, ou senior washington correspondent. council bluffs, iowa, trump will
12:31 pm
be there in a couple hours. we just played a little bit of trump versus bill clinton. let me ask you about trump engineer us is jeb bush. trump went on a tweeting spree. let me read some from mr. trump. first, we have so i have spent almost nothing on my run for president and i'm in first place. jeb bush spent $59 million and done. run country my way. word on the street is that jeb bush's mother is voting for donald trump. so cute. jeff zeleny, we know we heard from jeb bush's spokesperson calling trump twitter drunk. what's going on here? >> just when you think the campaign is found its place on the low road, it goes even lower. first, let's start with jeb bush. what donald trump is clearly doing. there's one republican candidate who gets under his skin. not because of his strength in
12:32 pm
the polls but donald trump seems to be slightly annoyed whenever jeb bush attacks or pokes him. so donald trump loves to do it back. it's also a way of sort of reminding conservatives that donald trump is not afraid to take on the establishment. he's not afraid to go after the bushes. it's interesting. that's actually the same method to his madness, if you will, on jeb bush is bill clinton. donald trump is trying to remind conservatives, anti-establishment republicans that he is willing to take everyone on. brooke, there's no one who unifies republicans more than attacking the clintons. when donald trump is bringing all this up, he's trying to sort of taunt bill clinton, trying to urge them to respond. so far, they haven't. but he's also trying to remind republicans that i'm not afraid to take them on. i will do that all day long. that's a little of what's going on in donald trump's head. >> let me ask you on the democratic side.
12:33 pm
for martin o'malley, several candidates had to cancel events out there because of bad weather. martin o'malley kept his schedule as planned. although low turn out meaning one person. take a listen. >> we decided to plow through quite literally sometimes. the very last event of the night, we actually had a whopping total of one person show up. but he was glad to see me. >> so he's laughing about it. one person, there you go. it doesn't really look delightful where you are. so i'm not surprised that people are canceling events. what about donald trump? what about the event later? >> it is december, it is iowa. it snows here. that's how it goes. i grew up in the midwest in a lot of snow. it was pretty bad yesterday. so many cars and semis in the ditch. smart of all these candidates to cancel events. chris christie to cancel his event. i'm not sure martin o'malley would have had that many people
12:34 pm
any way. he's struggling a little bit. he's making some good humor about it. donald trump is scheduled to fly in here into omaha, which is just across the river in a couple hours. he will have an event here. but this is not going to be one of donald trump's biggest events. i was just inside this event hall. a pretty small room by trump standards. the room made even smaller. . so i would assume a thousand people here. but campaigning in the holidays between christmas and the new year is tough for any candidate. they are all out here trying to get in one more handshake and autograph before the 2015 ends and new year begins. >> we'll see if he can beat that martin o'malley one person turning out. jeff zeleny, maybe with you, two people. baring the cold r for us there in iowa, thank you so much. our senior washington correspondent. let's move on. the iraqi army makes gains,
12:35 pm
scientists are using 3-d mapping to preserve these ancient treasures that are at risk from destruction from the terror group. we'll tell you how it's done with lasers and what's really at stake when one of leaders of the nonprofit group joins me live, that's next.
12:36 pm
12:37 pm
12:38 pm
we have been reporting on the positive news that ramadi may be back in the hands of government forces. while the iraq army sweeps the city for bombs left behind, tribal leaders tell cnn isis fighters still control about a quarter of the stu. we have pictures for you that
12:39 pm
indicate from this morning in ramadi showing government forces trying to move civilian, children to safety. and just a short time ago, the iraqi prime minister arriving in ramadi and raising the iraqi flag. the prime minister promised the city of mosul would also be liberated from u.s.ist and that isis would be defeated in 2016. that does not help the millions of people trying to escape the violence right now. troubling new report from the international organization of migration claiming iraq has seen the highest numbers and fastest rate of people displaced anywhere in the world in 2015. some 3.2 million on the move out of iraq. and with that, to the dangerous work being done to stop the cultural genocide being waged byiby i isis on some of the most ancient sites in syria. this is the historic city of irbil. isis militants took this video
12:40 pm
earlier this year shoving statues off pedestals and taking sledge hammers, drills to destroy these antiquities from a civilization that dates back more than 5,000 years. executive vice president of the world monuments fund was in irbil just weeks before mosul, a city just 30 miles away fell to isis. she is part of this it group that is using laser technology to create can 3-d imaging of these prized historical sites so that even if they are destroyed by terrorists, their images will live on. it's so nice to meet you. for me, just as a person who appreciates history and antiquity, it's cringe worthy to watch these vud owes. but for you this is your life's work. >> it's heartbreaking because with you work on these conservation sites, you study the sites remotely, but eventually you're on site and forming lifelong bonds sometimes with colleagues in these countries. so for us it's been especially
12:41 pm
hea heartbreaking to have colleagues the war.and syria so affected by so it's not an abstraction when i open up the newspaper or turn on cnn and hear about iraq or syria, it breaks my heart because i think about not just the monuments but. the people who have worked so hard to protect them their whole lives. we're friends, but we're not in the trenches as so many colleagues who are there all the time. >> you have been a couple times. your colleagues have been dozens of times. we talk about not only iraq but syria as well. help us understand how significant they are. they date back several thousand years, but what are they? >> well, there was mean iing to every place. so we go to places today as tourists and enjoy them, but what they really are windows on to thousands of years of history. so in the case of an important
12:42 pm
trade route and the nex sis that attracted the romans there who built it into a stronger trade hub and then what we see today is the remnants really of 2,000 years of people living near. the site. because it's not just survived because of the roman era, but it was there during the grand tour when european and american tourists discovered the middle east in new ways. then in modern times, it's been a major tourist destination. we have learned about roman history and even the formation of islamic culture by virtue of these sites being witnesses to history. >> i'm sure you got goose bumps walking around. >> it is. when we think about how hard it is to build a building in new york city and then you roll back to building things without the advantages of modern equipment. >> how are you helping preserve
12:43 pm
with this 3-d imaging? what are are you doing? >> we began working in babylon in 2009 on site. and so because of security issues, we couldn't be on site aa long time at any one stretch. we used laser technology to capture what's called a point cloud of data. so very intensive high resolution photography and measure iing devices that allowu then with time to process the image into drawings and architectural measured drawings that help us understand how to conserve the site. >> such important work. lisa ackerman, thank you so much. >> thank you for inviting us. >> absolutely. coming up next, his products changed the world. steve jobs was not loved by everyone. the messier part of his life and his temper in a hundred dollar the scenes look, next.
12:44 pm
moderate to severe crohn's disease is tough, but i've managed. except that managing my symptoms was all i was doing. and when i finally told my doctor, he said humira is for adults like me who have tried other medications but still experience the symptoms of moderate to severe crohn's disease. and that in clinical studies, the majority of patients on humira saw significant symptom relief. and many achieved remission. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems,
12:45 pm
serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, remission is possible.
12:46 pm
12:47 pm
he's been called visionary and a creative genius, but steve jobs was not perfect. in his biography, it was said, quote, there are parts of his life and personality that are extremely messy. this sunday night at 9:00 eastern here on cnn, we'll air a film on the life of steve jobs. here's a preview. >> i ended up changing my entire life. i lost my wife in that process. i lost my children in that process. i lost the whole structure of my life was just changed forever by going and working on the mac. >> because the work became so intense? >> the work was intense, the commitment needed to do it with intense. i would go. to work on a tuesday morning and
12:48 pm
half the people would hate me. wednesday morning, the other half would hate me. there were a lot of prima donnas in that outfit. i was always in conflict. >> my next guest here produced the film and you will see him in the movie as well. peter elkins, thank you for joining me. >> good to be with you, brooke. >> we just heard that one anecdote. i want you to just out of the gate. tell me some stories, some specifics on how steve jobs, the visionary, treated his colleagues at apple. >> yes, well, steve jobs was an incredibly complex guy. he was capable of extraordinary things. he could also treat people in a monstrous fashion. wrking for him was exhilarating and also brutal. time is the greatest work experience of his life but also the most brutal and painful personally in his life as well.
12:49 pm
and that applied not just to the workplace, but also his personal life. steve jobs engaged in terrible behavior and the film explores all of that. >> such as? >> well, the most prominent example is treatment of his girlfriend and his daughter. he fathered a child out of wedlock lisa. and length of time lisa's mother and lisa to live on welfare and denied paternity. he actually filed an affidavit where he claimed he was infertile and incapable of conceiving a child. and left thunderstorm to live on welfare and the mom to work as a waitress in restaurants while he was a a multimillionaire. >> even today with tim cook, the current ceo of apple, he says that steve jobs is still very much revered. how so?
12:50 pm
>> there's no question about it. within apple he's a mythic figure. and respected, admired as a man who saved the company and transformed and transformed it into the juggernaut it is today. no question he accomplished extraordinary things as a businessman. it done mean it wasn't painful and brutal for a lot of people along the way. >> peter, tell me, the film, what surprise you the most being in the weeds, as you were, what surprised you the most making this? >> well, two of the most fascinating things i -- in the film, alex, the director, came up with -- and i reported on steve jobs for "fortune" but had not come across this particular bit -- a spiritual guru, there's a clip where alex found a video of him talking about steve and about how he fell short in his goal of enlightenment.
12:51 pm
>> no kidding. >> quite fascinating. yeah, yeah. another part of the film i think is quite extraordinary seeing steve, the videotape of him being deposed by the s.e.c. in its stock options back dating investigation of apple. and you see steve talking about his personal life. you see his tone. you see him putting his feet up on the table as he's being deposed, and bemoaning way he was treated by the apple board of directors at types. it quite a wonderful window i o into -- into his personality. >> fascinating. peter elkin, anecdotes, video, we will watch. "steve jobs:the man in the machine" sunday cnn. we'll be right back. "why are you checking your credit score?"
12:52 pm
12:53 pm
12:54 pm
"you don't want to live with mom and dad forever, do you?" "boo!" (laughs) "i'm making smoothies!" "well...i'm not changing." "so, how can i check my credit score?" "credit karma. don't worry, it's free." "hmmmm." "credit karma. give yourself some credit."
12:55 pm
now, counting down the top ten scandals of 2015. >> most hated, pharmaceutical company ceo martin skrelly makes our list, not just because he jacked up the price to treat cancer patients over 500%, because he took too long to stop talking. >> it looks greedy but a lot of altruistic properties to it. >> reporter: or tweeting, trying to make his case to bernie sanders and hillary clinton who did not want to hear it. indicted for unrelated froud, a fraud and resigned. nine, state of denial. 2015 was yet another banner year for illinois politicians in big trouble. former house speaker, dennis hastert, got caught up in sexual misconduct and hush money allegations. former congressman aaron shock resigned after misusing taxpayer money, including to redecorate his office in the style of the
12:56 pm
downton abbey tv show. chicago mayor rahm emanuel was on the ropes for his city's handling of police shooting video that didn't go public until after the mayor got re-elected. >> i'm responsible. i don't short that responsibility. >> reporter: number eight, year of family values. >> the story of my family. we're the duggers. >> reporter: conservative family man and reality tv star, josh dugger, quit the family research council after admitting, while in misteens, he molested four of his sisters. then dugger popped up when the ashley madison hacker started naming names. he wasn't the only one, 32 million people buying into the website slogan, life is short, have an affair. number seven, black like me, the story of rachel was hard to watch but impossible to turn away. president of spokane's naacp outed as white by her parents. >> are you african-american?
12:57 pm
>> i don't -- i don't understand the question of. >> reporter: no crime, of course, and a color-blind society, it wasn't matter but this is no the that america. the telling part was the overheated reaction to rachel's story that said more about our times than she ever could. >> i think she's out of her mind, to be quite honest. >> first i thought, maybe this is a psychological disorder, but now i'm convinced that she's a con artist. >> reporter: number six, at least consistent. the u.s. secret service the guys who protect the first family, seemed to stay in the spotlight, and not always for their heroics, sometimes it's not even their fault. this year some rocket scientist flew a drone over the white house that crashed on the lawn. what you supposed to do about that? but in march, two senioring as, who had been drink, crashed a car into the white house barricade. so there's that. number five, journalism's naughty list is anchored by former nbc nightly news anchor, brian williams. >> i want to apologize. i said i was traveling if an
12:58 pm
aircraft that was hit by rpg fire. >> reporter: when somehow managed to turn his credibility into a late night comedy routine. not to be forgotten, "rolling stone" magazine, which this year had to retract a story by sabrina ruden erdly changed the focus with her deeply flawed opus on the alleged sexual assault at university of virginia. number four, no sense of humor. a question, three top officials of fifa, the governing body of professional soccer, traveling in a car. who's driving? answer, the police. it's almost not a joke, considering so many officials who control the world's most popular sport has been implicated by the justice democratic for allegations of bribery, fraud, money laundering. that joke was so not funny to fifa, one a pr guy told it in public, he quit his job. three, speaking of sports scandals, tom brady of the nfl's
12:59 pm
new england patriots who faced down allegations who made a joke and punch line. grown men accused of playing with deflated balls. >> to me those balls are perfect, that's what i expect when i show up on the field. >> reporter: number two, i'm alice in wonderland and i approve this message. >> there is a place like no place on earth. some say to survive it, you need to be as mad as a hatter. >> reporter: when lewis carol wrote. fantasy classic he could not have for seen the unparalleled jabber locking coming from candidates in both parties in the u.s. presidential race. >> everything i did was permitted by law and regulation. >> reporter: being a leader can mean insulting millions. >> they're rapists. >> i would not advocate we put a muslim in charge of this nation. >> reporter: even billions of 0 people. >> donald j. trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of muslims entering the
1:00 pm
united states. >> reporter: and the great thing is that the general election is still more than ten months away. and finally, number one, policing in the age of candid camera phone. it has dominated the headlines for more than a year. separating the vast majority of officers just doing their jobs from those who abuse their power. >> joe johns, thank you. thank you for being with me. "the lead" starts now. thank you you, brooke baldwin. mississippi river on the bring of swal loiilowing entire towns. "the lead" starts now. potentially historic flood emergency. cars floating away, more than a dozen killed as towns in the midwest brace for water higher than they've seen in maybe forever. so much for that trump being a clinton plant conspiracy theory. the two sides seemingly at war after donald trump goes after bill clinton's past again. is the affair fair game? plus --