Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Poppy Harlow  CNN  August 13, 2016 12:00pm-1:01pm PDT

12:00 pm
>> top of the hour sh, and i'm poppy harlow and so glad you are with us. it is a battle for the white hou house, and two different sides with different concerns that could hurt them on election day. the gop nominee donald trump is laying out what he says is the only reason that he may lose the swing state of pennsylvania. listen. >> we are going to watch pennsylvania, and going down to certain a ar yas, and watch and study and make sure that other people don't come in and vote five times, because if you do that, and i nknow that you are voting, and is everybody here voting? >> yes! >> if you do that, and if you do
12:01 pm
that, and we are not going to lose. the only way that we can lose in my opinion, and i really mean this, pennsylvania, is if cheating goes on. >> donald trump is convinced that the election is going to be quote rigged his word so he has added this to the official campaign website, and it is a page to collect the names and addresses of people to quote help me to stop crooked hillary from rigging the election, end quote. the submission button leads to the straight to the donation page. and for the democrats, more cyber security concerns, and a hacker to the deal with, as he dumped a pile of information last night online, and dozen of e-mail addresses and phone numbers for house and senate members. this is not a reflection of hillary clinton, but it is part of the political process, and they want somebody to be punished. a dump in last july caused the
12:02 pm
dnc chair her position. and joining us is basey and michael and also amy who co-cha co-chairs a group for women. and when you say that donald trump is saying over and over and over again, that the only which way is that we will lose pennsylvania is if the clinton camp cheats. and election s as are typically stolen? >> well, poppy, voter fraud is an issue, and it has been across number of oplaces, and actually, arrests made in philadelphia for election fraud. >> hey sh, amy, amy, when has vr fraud been a significant issue in a presidential election? >> poppy, all it takes in one election is one county, and one
12:03 pm
precin precinct. >> and you are saying it happens a lot -- >> no, i did not say it happens a lot, but i have said that it happens, that voter fraud is an issue a lot of times that people are concerned about. i didn't say that voter fraud happens all of the time, but it is something that people are concerned about, and people who are paying attention knows that it is an issue, but at the end of the day, i think that what donald trump is talking about is the number of people at his events and rallies across the country, and not only the events, but the number of people who have signed up, and follow him on the instagram, and facebook and twitter, and the people engaged in the campaign, and the clip that you played, it is important for what he is saying there. he said, you know, to go out to do the poll watching, and be engaged and be sure that there is no voter fraud going on, and that is what we all need to be doing, and encourage people to get involved and be active and work for until every ballot is cast at the end of the day when the polls close, but also, you know, if you have the time, and go work at a poll, and do
12:04 pm
election watching. >> and let me bring in basal, as a hillary clinton supporter, are you krned about this election being rigged or cheating? >> no, the claims of voter fraud ha are spurious, because if you listen to what -- >> because it is in 2004 that the democrats worried that the election would be rigged against him. >> and donald trump is talking about certain areas, and that is a not so valed areas that are referenced to strongholds that are communities of coloradkr co. and dr. ben carson followed up talking about specifically philadelphia, and areas around philadelphia. so if you are looking over the last few years, 20, to 30 states have en aked laws that have made it more difficult for people to vote, and not made it easier for them to vote. and that is often a reason -- >> well, two weeks ago, a federal judge rule dd that you
12:05 pm
don't have to have voter identification in north carolina, so it is the opposite. >> yes, states like north carolina, and alabama and others have tried ton act the strict voter laws to make it forlederly, and the people of color to follow. and so these sort of the comments about the voter fraud, and they are statistically insignificant, and that is going to worry me when he talk a tb election being rigged and hillary clinton cheating. >> and brian selter, it is going to incense you when you hear this why? >> because as journalists, we face a unique election, and this issue inside of the unique election. voter fraud is vanishing rare in america, and when it happens, it is investigated and it is reported. it is oftentimes overstated by the press, and particularly the conservative press which fans the flame, and encouraging people to believe it happens more often than it does, and when donald trump buys into
12:06 pm
this, and says it from the mi o microphone to the entire world, it is going to undermine faith in the voting world, and democracy system, and it is dangerous situation for the candidate to say it. it is different when the supporters say, that and a lot of democrats in 2004 saying that the election was stolen from them, and they were wrong, but somebody like john kerry he did not support that or encourage it, and trump is encouraging this language. >> and amy, to you, and i want to get you no the poll numbers, because it is important, and we have brand-new poll numbers out from nbc/"wall street journal," and shows that 48% to 39% there, and it is in north carolina for example. i mean, that is a nine-point loss in a state that mitt romney took, and you have colorado, and virginia and north carolina, and where trump is trailing clinton significantly now, and how concerned are you about the numbers three weeks after the
12:07 pm
rnc? >> well, most of the supporters are concerned, but thankfully, we are just mid-august and several months the go until the election day, and that is why i think it is important for donald trump encourages the people to get out to vote. that is one of the things that is really important here, and just because you show up at the rally, and just because you are expressing the support on social media, that is not enough. you have to take the action to go to the ballot box the vote, and that is important. there is no excuse not the vote. so i am glad that we are here in augustb and room for improvement obviously, and this is something that we need to work on. >> and it is important when you are looking at the numbers, and trump is not even at 40% in any of these, in any of the four swing states, and it begs the question, has he hit, a ceiling over his support? >> well, poppy, just as he can fall that quickly, and he can climb as well, and so like i said, there is room for improvement and we have seen him above those numbers, and it is
12:08 pm
important. >> i want to have us listen to this. >> connect the dots, because the reason that trump is talking about the the rigged election is because he is down in the polls, and connect the dots between the stories, and polls where he is struggling, and then talk of the vo voter fraud, and if he loses on the election day, he can refer back to the voter fraud and say that the election is delegitimized. >> guys, before i let you go, i want you to listen to this, because katrina pearson came on cnn earlier today, and she was speaking about the war in afghanistan specifically, and she is saying something that is patently not true. let's play it. >> and barack obama went ointo afghanistan creating another problem, and it is hillary clinton and her incidents in libya which was also a reckless decision to create that vacuum, and they armed the rebels, and they are funding them now. >> and you are saying that barack obama took the country into afghanistan post 2009. is that what you are saying? >> what i am saying is the
12:09 pm
policies -- >> you said that we were not in afghanistan. >> the policies of barack obama and hillary clinton -- that is obama's war, yes. >> okay. she is referring to the 2001 war in afghanistan following 9/11, and this is not the first time it has happened and katrina pearson on new day came out to say something that is empirically not true about president obama getting us into the war in iraq, and how much does this hurt, does it hurt the campaign or trump among the supporters when the spokesspokesperson is coming out to say it is not true. >> it hurts him with some vi viewers at home, and not all. and there is a repetition with katrina pearson here, and not all, but katrina who is the national spokeswoman on national television who is saying things that are not true, and i have to give props to victor who jumped right in there when he heard
12:10 pm
that. >> and amy, this is your camp, and does that concern you? is >> i heard what you just played, and katrina is a person like all of us, and i make mistake, and i have certainly made mistakes on air, and if she went in and cleaned up that is what she needs to do, and it is one thing and it is like, i don't like to quote the numbers because if you mess up one number, and there goes the credibility, and it is important that we are accurate in what we say, and sometimes we do get tripped up, because we are humans, but we need to clean it up. >> and it is more than that though, because donald trump has gone on television, and accused the president of being a founder of isis. that is reckless, and to me not just from donald trump, but for his spokespersons all of the way down, and there is reckless talk here that i don't believe that his core supporters really care about quite frankly, but from the point of view from the republican who actually cares about the par i, the standard bearer of the party is making comments that are so reckless, and disgusting in my opinion.
12:11 pm
>> and donald trump say s ts the was being sarcastic. >> and sarcastic is me saying that he is thoughtful. >> i have to leave it there, and brian selter, and basal and amy, we have much more ahead. this is cnn breaking news. meantime, louisiana is under a state of emergency as heavy rainfall is causing flooding that has killed two people in the state so far, a and look at the floodwaters so powerful they swept the 18-wheeler off of the road. the state police shutdown interstate 10 in both directions in baton rouge because of the flooding, and some areas getting 26 inches of rain in the last 24 hours, and governor john bell edwards saying that louisiana has received an unprecedented amount of rainfall. >> what we know is that we have record levels of flooding along rivers and creeks. because these are record floods, we don't know how wide the water
12:12 pm
is going to get in those areas. we don't, and this is unprecedented, and so we don't have a records that we can go back to see, and who all is going to be impacted. >> boras sanchez is live for us in louisiana. boras, i know that people have been asked to evacuate the home, and at this point, is it a mandatory evacuation? >> well, as far as we know, the evacuations are voluntary at this point, but more than 1,000 people have had to be rescued from the homes, and cars that are stranded on the roads, and i can tell you that at least 100 roads are still closed right now, and more than 12,000 people as of this morning were without power, and now that the waters are starting to move south, and recede, we are starting to get a clear picture of the damage, and the full extent of the damage, and behind me, this is a body shop, and you can see pickup flipped over, and this is on the other side of the repair shop when the rain came down, and this happened very, very qui quickly, and washing out the entire area, and it is kind of
12:13 pm
an industrial zone, and there was a man in two tracker or thes trying to pull people to their homes to gather things, and one of them was stuck, because the water was so deep. this is one slice of the damage that we are seeing. i am here, actually with the neighbor, mark, and you had the trailer on the property, and it is swept up, and flattened right over there. >> yes, that is where i was living in that, but it is about 100 yards behind this building here, about 100 yards, and come around and floated. it floated that trailer, a and that suv, and it was back there, also. it is floated about 100 yards. >> and mark, you have told us that you lived here 20 or 30 years? >> yes, 30 years, and i have never seen it like this, and back in march when we had the flood like this, and it did not come near this bad, and this water was coming up extreme emily fast. >> how does it make you feel that your state, your home fall apart this way? >> well, i mean, it is terrible.
12:14 pm
the gentleman who has that tractor right there, and he lost his house in the flood back in march. he just couple of weeks ago got his house back in order. and he has lost everything, and he had six or eight feet of water in his house. that is terrible. and there is people that is just -- you know, it is a sad thing to see. >> it is certainly sad. mark, thank you so much for talk talking to the us, and we are glad that you are okay. thank you, mark. poppy, as you can tell, it is a difficult situation for a lot of the louisiana residents, and the rain is coming down, and right now, it is slowed down where we are, but it is expected to continue until monday afternoon. >> boris is live for us in louisiana and keep us posted through the evening, and they need some relief there in louisiana. thank you so much. up next, while donald trump and hillary clinton make the case to the voters, a third-par candidate making waves and gaining support from a congressman. and meantime, some republicans are worrying that donald trump's plummeting poll numbers could cost them the senate.
12:15 pm
we will see how likely that is, and hillary clinton deelting with the ties of the clinton foundation, and the state department while she was secretary of state, and our drew griffin investigates. we are live in the cnn newsroom. you should be getting double miles on every purchase! switch...to the capital one venture card. with venture, you earn unlimited double miles on every purchase, everywhere, every day. not just ...(dismissively) airline purchases. seriously... double miles... everywhere. what's in your wallet?
12:16 pm
and you're talking to your doctor about your medication... this is humira. this is humira helping to relieve my pain and protect my joints from further damage. this is humira helping me go further. humira works for many adults. it targets and helps to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to ra symptoms. doctors have been prescribing humira for over 13 years. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections,
12:17 pm
or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ready for a new chapter? talk to your rheumatologist. this is humira at work.
12:18 pm
abdbloating?in? you may have ibs. ask your doctor if non-prescription ibgard is right for you. ibgard calms the angry gut. available at cvs, walgreens and rite aid. this year's extraordinary presidential race is yielding more twists and turns. republican scott ridgeel has become the first member of congress to endorse gary johnson. looking at the polling, johnson is currently at 9% in the cnn poll of polls, and he says that he is a member of the republican party, but a trump presidency would be a danger to the country, and thank you for join
12:19 pm
joining us. >> thank you, poppy. >> and what was the last straw for you? >> well, it got my attention when he mocked senator cain, and the imprisonment by the vietnamese, and i represent the district that has the highest men and women active duty and retired ap i was raised by a e wa gee mama reen and my son is a marine as well, and as we have move moved through the summer of everything that donald trump has done, it leads me to the most sobering conclusion, and that is that we have presented to the public, a deeply flawed candidate, and if he is elected he is a threat to the country. i believe that. and the democratic alternative is deeply flawed as well. and that is leading me to consider a third and really viable option, and that is governor gary johnson, and so the 56 -- yes. 56, i'm really surprised that i
12:20 pm
am here supporting a libertarian, but i am happy to do so, because he is the best of the three. >> and you have aid that hillary clinton is quote equally as unacceptable, a candidate as donald trump, and some would point to your support, congressman of gary johnson and say that is in effect helping hillary clinton, and your response to them? >> well, some polling data like an article in the "atlantic" and others indicate that governor johnson is not just pulling are from the republicans, and he is earn earning the support, i should say of some democrat, and i believe perhaps somberny sa sanders' democrats. if you are looking at what he is standing for which is strong fiscal discipline, and a real judicious restraint in the use of military force and going light on the social issues. look, i hold the social issues that are more conservative than or thrs bush at the same time as a businessman, my number one
12:21 pm
concern is the country's fiscal trajectory which threatens every one of us wref we live, and the only candidate among the top three that i have seen who is really confronting it in a wise and upfront way is governor johnson. >> and congressman, tell me this, because you have outline ed the fact that you have, you do think that johnson has a path to winning if he can get to the 50% there threshold, and be in the presidential debates, and we will see if that happens, but more broadly, you are standing by the party, and remaining a member of the republican party, but you have warned that could change and that you could eventu eventually abandoned the party, and how do you think, regardless of whether trump or clinton wins, how do you think that republican party has changed and where does the party go forward from here after the contentious election within the party? >> the men and women, yes, the men and women who have been traditionally elevated in the party are ones of high kas
12:22 pm
character, and as i wrestle with it, i have shared with others, and i say that there is not one character trait of donald trump that i would want my son to emula emulate. and that is a serious indictment on hill, and i do not respect the way that he mocks others and gone about winning our nomination. i truly don't know what he believes. i think that he is all over the map, and he was for thing, and against thing, and there is no core principles driving him, and there is a high degree of nars nichl in him sh-- narcissism in to be the president of the united states, aed on the have a narcissistic mindset to me is a troubling mix. and i cannot support -- >> and what i am asking is what does it do to the party, and the post trump, and what does the post trump republican party look like? >> well, that is one reason that i said, are there any boundaries as to who we are as republicans? i found my limit, i found mine, and if we have read the virginia
12:23 pm
republican creed, and it is a short and beautiful document here, and we don't have the time the to so, but it is a beautiful and eloquent document that i would still suggest is the best for all americans in terms of the governance, but if my party, the republican party, and really, if this is the party, then i really do have to wrestle with whether i am an independent. i say this as a lifelong republican, and i'm so disappointed that we have presented a deeply flawed candidate to the people, and he is particularly unfit to be commander in chief, but i make the case that we have a good alternative in governor johnson. >> we will see if he hits the 15%, and included in the preside presidential debates at the end of september. congressman, thank you for being with me today. >> thank you. >> all right. still to come here live in the cnn newsroom, celebrations of a key syrian city, and this after u.s. forces force rebels to flee.
12:24 pm
>> thank god. we are happy, my brother. thank god, we got rid of isis, and may god hold them to account. ♪ (ee-e-e-oh-mum-oh-weh) (hush my darling...) (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.) (hush my darling...) man snoring (don't fear my darling...) (the lion sleeps tonight.) woman snoring
12:25 pm
take the roar out of snore. yet another innovation only at a sleep number store.
12:26 pm
keeping the power lines clear,my job to protect public safety, while also protecting the environment. the natural world is a beautiful thing,
12:27 pm
the work that we do helps us protect it. public education is definitely a big part of our job, to teach our customers about the best type of trees to plant around the power lines. we want to keep the power on for our customers. we want to keep our community safe. this is our community, this is where we live. we need to make sure that we have a beautiful place for our children to live. together, we're building a better california. isis is losing ground in
12:28 pm
northern syria, and people are celebrating in the streets of manbij, and that is an aleppo province, and losing it blocks a e key isis supply route. ben wedeman is live with us in istanbul, and ben, looking at the city, it is very important strategicall strategically, and a key geographical significance, because it falls on the supply route between raqqah and turkey. and how much does it hurt isis? >> well, certainly, it is really is one of the last supply routes between raqqah and the turkish border, and so for isis, and this is the latest in the string of towns and cities, and in iraq, and in syria as well that it has lost where the black baner of isis has been torn down. looking at the scenes coming out of man bshbij, and it is a quit
12:29 pm
defeat for the taliban, and it is a latest in the string of defeats. and what is interesting, it is only in june that the syrian democratic forces which is a u.s. group of kurdish and arab fighter fighters came across what is described as a treasure trove of information on isis during the fighting in manbij, and they captured the equivalent of 4.5 terabytes off data on the isis fighters, and the foreign fighters and the countries of origin, and how they got the syria, and iraq, and all sorts of information is going to be quite useful to prevent some attacks in the future, and so for a variety of reasons, intelligence, and symbolic, the fall of manbij is very
12:30 pm
important. poppy? >> thank you, ben wedeman live for us in istanbul tonight. and coming up next, to politics and the strong warning about the election from the most powerful senate republican, and we will show you why the leader of the republican party is worried that his party is could lose the conl of the congress next. try this. but just one aleve has the strength to stop pain for 12 hours. tylenol and advil can quit after 6. so live your whole day, not part... with 12 hour aleve.
12:31 pm
i notin the human family.ences some of us are serious, some thrive on comedy. i've sailed upon the seven seas and stopped in every land, i've seen the wonders of the world not yet one common man. i know ten thousand women called jane and mary jane, i've not seen any two who really were the same. mirror twins are different although their features jibe, and lovers think quite different thoughts while lying side by side. i note the obvious differences
12:32 pm
between each sort and type, but we are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike. we are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike. ♪
12:33 pm
>> all right. the senate's most powerful man is issuing a stern warning to the fellow republicans. senate majority leader mitch mcconnell says that the chances of keeping control of to senate in the fall is dicey. 34 senate seats up for reelection, and the republicans are trying to defend twice as many seats as the democrats. and add to it the candidate donald trump, and his poll numbers have been plummeting, and that makes it tougher. and bringing in larry sabato at
12:34 pm
the center of politics at the university of virginia. and larry, how many senate seats do you see as genuinely at risk? >> well, poppy, i think that n senator mcconnell is absolutely correct, and out of the 34 senate seats up, 10 of them are highly competitive, and amazingly, nine of the ten highly competitive senate seats are held by the republicans, and the democrats have one seat in nevada that they are concerned about. there are nine republican seats that potentially could flip to the democrats, and all of the democrats need is to grab four of those ten, and we have 46 right now, and they need to get up to 50 at which point, if the democratic ticket is elected, then vice president tim kaine would brake the tie. >> and it is interesting, because donald trump has made the case that he will bring in ma many, many new sloerters, and that is going to help the party
12:35 pm
across the board, and help the party down ballot. does he have a point? >> well, sure if he a actually is winning, but we are not seeing it in the key polls. we are not seeing it in the polls in the states where the senate seats are vulnerable or in the swing states in the presidential campaign. and now, if he turns it around between now and november 8th, that is another story. >> yeah, but what about splitting the ticket, right? i mean, the voters, the republicans are come ting to th polls, and even if they are not going to be voting for donald trump, and just like the congressman that i had on and he is going to be voting for gary johnson, and he is calling himself a republican, and so he is going to be voting republicans. and pat toomey said that in the race in pennsylvania, the people are smart enough to know what is going on, one race is for the president of the united states, and the other is for the united states senate. >> well, poppy, a good point, and what has happened is that we have a very partisan polarized
12:36 pm
country and electorate today. fewer, and fewer people vote for democratic for president, and then republican for senate or hou house, and in particular ix senatement. so you have people sticking with the same party from top to bottom are from the white house no the poorhouse. >> and you say it is relative a few decades ago, and not so much today, and thank you, larry sabato. coming up, i will speak one-on-one with wone of the donald trump representatives, and the clinton and kaine tax returns were just released, and we would like to know why we can't get his. just to know this is what i'm made of, this is where my ancestors came from. and i absolutely want to know
12:37 pm
more about my native american heritage. it's opened up a whole new world for me. discover the story only your dna can tell. order your kit now at ancestrydna.com. there's no such thing as adverse discoverconditions.lexus suv
12:38 pm
♪ ♪ for a limited time get some of our best offers of the year at the lexus golden opportunity sales event. this is the pursuit of perfection.
12:39 pm
hei don't want one that's haded a big wreck just say, show me cars with no accidents reported
12:40 pm
find the cars you want, avoid the ones you don't plus you get a free carfax® report with every listing i like it start your used car search at carfax.com >> newly h uncovered e-mails are raising questions if a clinton donor was given special access to the state department. the presidential campaign denies anything inappropriate occurred and claims no conflict of interest nor any favors granted, but the larger issue raised was that clinton family's many competing and overlapping pools of interest. the foundation, the role as secretary of state, and her presidential campaign, and et cetera. that brings us to the latest news about one of hillary clinton's aides that was simultaneously involved with the foundation, and clinton while she was secretary of state. our senior investigative correspondent drew griffin has
12:41 pm
been digging into that. >> reporter: on june 19th, 2012, cheryl mills, the then secretary of state aide for hillary clinton boarded a train in union station in washington for new york. then senate investigators have been wanting to find out what she was up to, and for seven months, the department of state has refused to answer, and now we learned how, cheryl mills, and the then secretary of the government was in new york working on behalf of the clinton foundation. a source close to the situation says that mills was interviewing two potential candidates to theley the foundation. she would interview them at w l walmart, and the company bowser. both have of them have worked with the clinton global initiative. and was mills role a violation
12:42 pm
of her government/private roles? and we have asked the it is a department all of these questions, and this is the response. federal employees are permitted to participate in outside actives the slong it is within the rules. all employ years are subject to the rules pertaining to conflict of interest. the vague response raises more questions that are just not being answered, and not the cnn and worse says a watchdog group not no the senate led judiciary commit tie which has right to know. >> congress can ask for any information they want that is kept track by the government. and the government should turn it over, and when you have a breakdown in that system, it is a breakdown in the system. >> and it is easy to see how she
12:43 pm
was involved in the clinton foundation, because she has worked for both of them. >> as bill clinton's deputy counsel in the white house, she defended him in the ime peachment. when hillary clinton was running for senior adviser, mills was there, and when she became secretary of state, mills left the board of the foundation, and became her secretary of state. the duel roles by trusted assistant, and the mixing of state, and clinton foundation, and the donors all play into a central themef of donald trump's campaign, that politics, like the clinton use government to ben fet thimss. >> they are krooged -- these are crooked people, and it is crooked from the beginning, and looking at the foundation, and it is pure crooked itness.
12:44 pm
>> and cheryl mills says that she was doing volunteer work for the foundation, and clinton also says that she is not a paid employee. clinton spokesman said this, she volunteered to a charitable organization, as she has to other areas, and she paid her way to the washington, and the idea that this is posing a conflict of interest is absurd. drew griffin. >> thank you, drew. coming up next life in the cnn newsroom, donald trump is refouzing to release the tax returns, and so we will ask the senior economic adviser why up next.
12:45 pm
12:46 pm
♪ ♪
12:47 pm
12:48 pm
hillary clinton released her 2015 tax returns on friday, putting pressure on donald trump to do the same. for months, trump has said he will not release his tax returns because he is being audited. now the clintons made $10.6 million last year when they filed jointly. and they paid an effective tax rate of 31%. that's what the return showed. on the campaign trail today vice presidential candidate tim kaine floated a theory as to why he
12:49 pm
thinks perhaps donald trump has not released his returns. >> what doesn't he want to show? it could be, you know, he brags about all the stuff he has done for charity. but there has been some good articles to suggest that's all braggings and it's not really backed up. in fact there was one just this week where he has been claiming to have given $20 million to st. jude's hospital. and the washington post dug into it and could find no record of any such gift. we might find that this generosity that he is claiming is just smoke in mirrors. >> trump's senior economic adviser david mall pass is with me. he is also the chief economist for bear stearns. thank you for being with me. let me begin with this, donald trump says he is being audited and won't release the returns until after the audit. we haven't seen proof 6 an audit, he could release the audit letter that the irs sends
12:50 pm
to everyone they are auditing. >> i was invited here to talk about the dramatic difference between the two tax programs. hillary clinton is running on the idea of status quo, of continued special interests dominating washington, and higher tax rates. and trump is running for -- to create a transformation of washington that will make it more effective and lower the tax rates. so that's what the election is about. and you can't make it about other stuff, even by running over and over again the same story. >> well, i do think transparency is key on both sides. and to be very clear, look, many people are calling on hillary clinton to release the transcripts of those speeches, the paid speeches she gave to those wall street banks. in her tax returns resaw that 60% of her income last year came from paid speeches. so the media and the public is asking both candidates for transparency. i'm asking you as an economic adviser to donald trump, why not
12:51 pm
release the audit letter? also, even if you are not going the release your full returns why not release a few key pieces, like the marginal tax rate, like your charitable contributions? isn't it important for the public to see? >> right. he has answered that many times. what i wanted to do was correct the media in some of the errors that are creeping in on the tax plans themselves. there was a big "new york times" article this morning that hit on this child care credit, which is an important difference between the two plans. there are numerous errors creeping in. hillary clinton on thursday talked about it being a tax credit for the rich. and that's simply not correct. it's capped. and it's going to benefit the middle class. that's a general problem with the coverage of the two tax plans. trump's plan is specifically designed to help the middle class and to create jobs. and hillary clinton wants to raise tax rates -- >> let's dig into that.
12:52 pm
>> and it's not getting reported. what that does is slows growth. we're already going too slow. >> so, david, let's dig into that. and let's turn to trump's tax proposal. right? here is what hillary clinton said about it on thursday. >> it would allow him to pay less than half the current tax rate on income from many of his companies. he would pay a lower rate than millions of middle class families. >> so, david, she calls it the trump loophole. what she's talking about is pass-through entities like llcs, like s corp.s. because today they are taxed at 39.6%. his proposal cuts that to 15%. but for many people, many americans who work at a retail store or a restaurant that make an ordinary paycheck, full, many of them have to pay a higher rate than that, than 15%. so the argument here, david is
12:53 pm
that this is really helping higher income professionals because their tax rate would be cut by more than half and it's going help them more than those on the lower end of the income scale. your response? >> right. there were quite a few errors like that in her speech. the reality is she has been -- >> it's not an error. what i said is fact. >> i'm going to come. >> he wants to cut the rate to 15% for pass-through entities like llcs, like s corpse. >> right, but he has made clear there will be guardrails and the intent is to help really small businesses. it's incorrect to say it would affect his enterprises. over the -- hillary clinton has been in office -- in federal power for 30 years. and we've got is the rich getting richer, and the middle class real incomes going down. so what you need is to have new ideas, some transformation of what's going on in the tax code. and trump is proposing that. >> so, david, what does it do
12:54 pm
for the average joe who brings home his paycheck from a retail store for example? >> right. so "new york times" was correct on that this morning that trump is reducing the income tax rate for those people whereas hillary is not. so there is a clear difference on that. but in several areas, remember, she is raising the tax rates on capital gains, on the estate tax, on upper income, and even on small business. so for a lot of small businesses, their tax rate is going to go to 47.4% under her -- because she is applying a premium to the existing high income tax rates. trump wants to cut all those rates, plus cut estate taxes. and that's critical to small businesses, family farms, people that don't want to do estate planning. clinton is going to raise the estate tax rate so everybody's going to -- so lots of the middle class will need lawyers in order to protect themselves
12:55 pm
from the possibility of getting hit by her estate tax. >> and, david, finally, you bring up the child care tax credit. and some critics of that have said, by saying that you are allowing all child care expenses to be tax deductible, that arguably could help higher income individuals more than lower income individuals who pay very well in payroll tax, and therefore deduction doesn't mean as much to them. it's not as significant a portion of the pie. your response? >> right. there were three major errors in the "new york times" story today. and cnn i don't think has been covering it correctly. one is that there is a limit on the amount. and trump was clear in his speech a week ago that there was a limit on the amount of the deduction. >> what is that? because that's a number that i haven't seen. what is the limit? >> he said the -- the average expenses which we think is $12,000 d so that's going to help. >> $12,000. >> that's going to help middle class america. number two is it's an above the
12:56 pm
line deduction, meaning you don't have to itemize. and that was specifically erroneous in the "new york times" this morning. and then third is the amount of the deduction is larger than in the current code. so this is a great tax change for the middle class. >> david mall pass i'm getting the wrap. come back, join me again. lots more to discuss. >> okay. >> thank you very much. >> thank you. >> donald trump tonight will speak in connecticut just 24 hours after insisting that if he loses pennsylvania this fall, he says that's because he was cheated. what will he say tonight? you will hear from the republican candidate live later on right here in the cnn newsro newsroom. hold on...you only got double miles on stuff you bought from that airline? let me show you something better. the capital one venture card. with venture, you earn unlimited double miles on every purchase... not just...(dismissively) airline purchases.
12:57 pm
every purchase. everywhere. every day. no really! double miles on all of them! what's in your wallet? runstaying in a differentns hotel every night. so i use the hotels.com rewards program to earn free nights. which i can use for my new friends here. thanks, captain obvious. you're welcome. roger that, sir. my name isn't roger. supported by hotels.com. craso come dive into disheser like the new alaska bairdi crab dinner with sweet crab from the icy waters of alaska. or try crab lover's dream with tender snow and king crab legs. love crab? then hurry, crabfest ends soon.
12:58 pm
12:59 pm
squuuuack, let's feed him let's feto the sharks!sharks! yay! and take all of his gold! and take all of his gold! ya! and hide it from the crew! ya...? squuuuack, they're all morons anyway! i never said that. they all smell bad too. no! you all smell wonderful! i smell bad! if you're a parrot, you repeat things. it's what you do. if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance, you switch to geico. it's what you do. squuuuack, it's what you do. ♪
1:00 pm
(vo) making the most out of every mile. that's why i got a subaru impreza. (avo) love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. get zero percent on select subaru models during the subaru a lot to love event, now through august thirty-first. most people take for granted putting a fresh, clean set of clothes on. for someone who is sleeping rough and who really doesn't have access to washing and drying their clothes, this is something that's continually overlooked. >> there you have a clip from one of our cnn heros. you can nominate someone you think should be a 2016 cnn hero

138 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on