Skip to main content

tv   Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown  CNN  August 26, 2016 7:00pm-8:01pm PDT

7:00 pm
donald trump speaking at a sold out fund-raiser. we'll bring you the latest on that. this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. trump sending mix signals on the cornerstone of his campaign and that's immigration. clinton charges trump's campaign is built on prejudice. in the middle of a campaign that is dividing america, what do we really mean when we talk about race? here to discuss, alice stewart, van jones, maria cardona and
7:01 pm
paris dennard. if you didn't join us last hour, you missed a very interesting hour of conversation with these people. we're going to try it again. >> he has supporters like david duke connected with the ku klux klan who are saying donald trump is their donald trump is pushing their values. they're not american values, they're not our values. donald trump was a main guy behind the scourless campaign saying that president obama wasn't born in america.
7:02 pm
>> first of all, i was deeply offended. to go to hpcu and have that gutter politics is beyond the pale to me. every democrat needs to stand up and say this is reprehensible, this is beneath you, beneath this campaign. if you have a problem with donald trump talking to the black community, then have a count counter. don't attack him by calling him a bigot and a racist. >> and van jones, what do you say? >> well, i, first of all, think it's important that we take note that even though donald trump has disavowed and i applaud him for disavowing the support of the white supremacist organizations, the support keeps coming. you can't control who is for
7:03 pm
you. there might be some terrible people for hillary clinton. but it is a real reason for a concern when he then does stuff that gives them encouragement. one thing he did that gave them encouragement was appointing bannon. bannon runs one of the most racially inflammatory web sites in the world, this breitbart web sites. employees, someone who says latinos are genetically inferior in terms of i.q. you can't control who supports you but when you continue to do things that give them encouragement, you have to look at yourself. i'm very concerned there is this mainstreaming of people like bannon, which is dangerous for the country. >> alice, why aren't there more republicans coming to trump's defense? >> i think clearly right now a lot of republicans are focusing on attacking hillary clinton. that's the number one issue right now, attacking her and her policies and how she's been
7:04 pm
harmful to the country. i think that's the main focus. the fact that we've spent this week talking about bigots and racists is a race to the bottom in terms of the presidential election. hopefully we'll get back ton track the next few days and weeks to come because that's what people are certainly concerned with. if you want to talk about guilt by association, it didn't hurt barack obama and his association with reverend jeremiah wright. i think the focus is for donald trump and hillary clinton focus on the issues. if you want to talk about their relationship with the minority community, talk about what they will do to help improve the minority community and -- >> i understand you're talking about six of the issues but we all remember he had to denounce reverend rice, he had to give a speech about reverend rice -- >> a whole speech. >> i mean, there was so much consternation about that and that was indeed an issue back in 2008 during that campaign.
7:05 pm
go ahead, paris. >> it was an issue. real quick, van, i just want to say this. i do not want donald trump to let up on his efforts, which i believe are sincere, to talk about the issues going on in the black community. the reason why we've taken this week and talked about bigotry is because the clinton campaign has inserted that narrative because they don't want to talk about these issues. it important we have these issues and refocus our conversation -- >> i hate to say he did it first but we started talking about it when he said hillary clinton is a bigot. that's when we started discussing it. >> don, if i could also just say hillary clinton this week i felt gave a very important speech, which was when she really laid out a calm and straight forward, very methodical, very strategic, factual case that essentially was a takedown of donald trump and how he is and has been trying to mainstream these kinds
7:06 pm
of hate web sites, hate speech, the rhetoric that he started when he first burst on to the scene calling mexican immigrants rapists and criminals. i think what she was laying out was something that the majority of the american people already believe, is that this man does have racist and bigoted tendencies. we see it in every single poll. 66% of people believe that sent a -- consistently. she is making a case to the american people because it's all about our american values and how we see each other in civil society. >> paris says that's not true. >> what's not true? >> what's not true -- at his announcement he said he believes the mexican government sends over -- some of them are rapists. but that was his opinion. that's what he stated. what he did not say was that all of the mexicans that come over here illegally are rapists or
7:07 pm
bad people. let's set the record straight about what he actually said. >> he said mexican immigrants are rapists and criminals and he followed that with a deportation force and talking about a program that eisenhower used called operation wetback. even if you don't use what he said in his announcement speech, there is instance after instance and example after example when he uses this kind of vitriol, the rankerous, hatred rhetoric -- >> go ahead, van. >> what did you say about reverend jackson? >> i would love to hear reverend jackson chime in on how he feels about donald trump. if you go back to the rainbow project, reverend jackson
tv-commercial
7:08 pm
praised him -- >> paris, i think you raise a very good point. it's a point that's seldom raised. part of the heartbreak and part of the tragedy and part of the crime of donald trump is that i'm not sure that he in fact is a racist himself. i think he's worse than a racist. i think he's a racial opportunist in that he's actually playing on other people's racial anxieties, other people's racial fears when he may not hold these views at all. donald trump thinks we're all dumb because he's playing the whites against the blacks for his own purpose. so i think you're right. i think this whole thing in fact may be an attempt on his part to trick us all. >> alice, in addition to her speech, clinton released a new web attack to voters. >> what do you have to lose? you're living in poverty, your
7:09 pm
schools are no good, you have no jobs. >> look at my african-american over here. >> trump management was charged with discriminating against african-americans and breaking the law. >> i've always had a great relationship with the blacks. >> what the hell do you have to lose? >> what the hell do you have to lose? that phrase, alice, was that the right one to use? >> that was not the right one to use. how many times have we said this? we know what he meant to say but he should have said it this way. i do believe donald trump's policies are better than hillary clinton's policies to help poor americans and african-americans across the country. saying what the heck do you have to lose is not very inspiring. i think if he were to look back at jack kemp and himself message of appealing to minorities and the poor and empowering them and giving them ladders of opportunities for them to use
tv-commercial
7:10 pm
their god-given talents to improve themselves, i think that's the message that would resonate and help them to help themselves in their community. that's where he contrasts with hillary clinton and that's the message he can use and should use to connect with the minority community. >> i like that you couldn't even say it yourself. >> this is a family show. >> it's 10:00, though, on the east coast. >> my mama's watching. >> trump is hitting back. here it is. >> they are the kinds of kid called super predators, no conscience, no empathy. we can talk about why they ended up that way but first we have to bring them to heal. >> you called out hill ary clinton for the use of the term super predator. >> because it was a racist term and everyone knew it was a racist term. >> is that ad effective? >> it will be effective for
7:11 pm
himself supporters but it not effective in what he needs to do desperately, which is to grow his tent, expand his appeal to not just minorities -- in my opinion, i think that is done. the train has left the station. he's not going to get additional support from african-americans or latinos, at least with the strategy that he has so far, but he does need to get more white, educated voters. right now hillary clinton is beating him by one point. democrats have never won white, college-educated voters. and in 2012 mitt romney won college educated voters by 11 points and lost the election. and she is right now winning white college educated women by 19 points. and so that is what he really needs to do. and by doing this kind of stuff and calling hillary clinton a bigot and bringing in people like steve bannon, it's not the way to go.
7:12 pm
>> so he is in the most awesome, amazing -- give me another adjective health ever? >> huge, huge. >> hugely healthy. we're going to hear from his doctor, donald trump's. we'll be right back.
7:13 pm
soon, she'll type the best essays in the entire 8th grade. get back to great. sixteen gig lexar flash drives just three ninety-nine. office depot officemax. gear up for school. gear up for great. just when you think you know what a computer is. you see a keyboard that can just, geout of the way. and a screen you can touch. and even write on. when you see a computer that can do all that, it might just make you wonder... hey, what else can it do? ♪
7:14 pm
words you don't often hear. words we at panera live by. because clean food is food as it should be. with no artificial flavors, preservatives, sweeteners, and no colors from artificial sources. we think clean food tastes better, feels better, does better. 100% of our food will be clean by year's end. every bite will be food as it should be. ♪
7:15 pm
>> donald trump's doctor is explaining tonight what he meant when he said his patient will be, quote, the healthiest president ever elected. these two seem like they were made for each other. no shade, i'm serious. donald trump's personal doctor for 35 years said he wrote the letter saying trump was in excellence health in just five minutes as a limo driver waited for him outside. here's what he said to nbc news. >> i thought about it all day and i get rushed and i get
7:16 pm
anxious when i get rushed. i tried to get four or five lines out quickly. his health is in excellent health. >> my doctor's a little eccentric. what do you think, alice? >> my doctor is fantastic. i think for something as important as this and knowing that you're going to run for president and knowing that people are going to ask about your medical records, it seems as though you would at least maybe give your doctor at least ten minutes while you wait for him in a limo while he writes a letter. i think it could have been done in a much more formal way. i think he is in good health. i think he could have gone about this in a way that would have not raised questions by going about it in a little more formal way. >> van? >> first of all, if have you a whacky doctor like that, maybe
7:17 pm
that explains why he won't release his taxes. he's got a whacky accountant who says he can't release his taxes from 20 years ago because he's under audit. >> don't discriminate again people with hair, van. >> if i asked me doctor to write a recommendation for me, it would take them five to ten minutes. he's been his doctor for 35 years. he knows his health and capacity. it's a done deal, it not a story. >> if elected, mr. trump, i can state unequivocally will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency. >> not exactly -- >> that's the only documentation released to the public. >> i thought it was funny when he started laughing when he was talking about his mental health. i think this is an important
7:18 pm
issue. it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with donald trump's physical health. he is, you know, going from stump to stump to stump so that will be fine -- >> are you inferring there is something else -- >> i'm not inferring anything. >> i think -- >> hang on. i think his physical health is fine. i think what americans will be concerned with is the health of his proposals and the health of the country, economy and national security and foreign policy as a whole if this guy ever gets anywhere near the oval office. >> was that a sigh eye? paris gave you a side eye. why was that a side eye? >> because she skirted the issue of his mental health. you think he's fine, don't you? >> i don't know. that's up to the voters, you know. that's up to the voters to decide. >> go ahead, alice. >> having been on several
7:19 pm
presidential campaigns, i think both of them, they're excruciating, long days, long nights, early mornings. for him to have the kind of energy he has at this stage of the game i think is very commendable. the same gets for hillary clinton for that matter. >> alice, you did say they should release more of their records. didn't you say that earlier? >> sure, i think they should. i don't have any questions about donald trump's health but if he's going to raise questions about hillary's health, i think he should release more documents. >> are the rest of you in agreement he should released more? >> sure. >> sure. >> i think that he won't release his taxes from five years ago, ten years ago because he's under audit now, he's got to get
7:20 pm
better visoadvis advisers if heo go to the white house. >> i'd be more interested in having hillary clinton have a press conference, i would love for her to release her transcripts about these big wall street bank meetings she had. >> why don't we start with trump's taxes, why don't we? it something that presidential candidates have been releasing for the last 40 years. >> talk to the press. talk to the press. what does she have to hide? >> we will be right back. >> she talked to anderson cooper last night, harris. >> she talks every day. >> not to the press. between phones, move cas so conversations can go where you go. take your time. i'm not going anywhere. (announcer vo) and when you're not available, one talk helps find the right person who is. hi, john. (announcer vo) so wherever work takes you, you can put your customers first.
7:21 pm
introducing one talk-- another way verizon connects your business better. learn how at onetalk.com. ♪my friends know me so well.s they can tell what i'm thinking, just by looking in my eyes. they can tell when i'm really excited and thrilled. and they know when i'm not so excited and thrilled. but what they didn't know was that i had dry, itchy eyes. but i knew. so i finally decided to show my eyes some love. some eyelove. when is it chronic dry eye? to find out more, chat with your eye doctor and go to myeyelove.com. it's all about eyelove, my friends. [ woman ] thanks. the dealership reviews on cars.com made it easy, but... [ man ] we thought it might be a little more tense. you miss the drama? yeah.
7:22 pm
[ technician ] ask him whatever you want. okay. ♪ do you think my sister's prettier than me? ♪ [ laughs ] [ male announcer ] research, price, find. only cars.com helps you get the right car without all the drama. what comes to mind when you think about healthcare? only cars.com helps you understanding your options? or, if you're getting the care you need? at aarpadvantages.com, you can find helpful information about healthcare options. leaving you more time to think about more important things. like not having to think about healthcare at all. surround yourself with healthy advantages at aarpadvantages.com/health.
7:23 pm
7:24 pm
donald trump doubling down on his charge that hillary clinton is a bigot and accusing her of trying to smear his supporters as racist. meanwhile clinton said trump as built his campaign on prejudice and paranoia. the charges are incendiary but what do we mean when we use the language of race. joining me is the author of "words on the move." i can't wait to read it. this election, the language has been harsh, particularly by donald trump was raw and emotional but there was a moment this week that really stood out. listen.
7:25 pm
>> hillary clinton is a bigot, who sees people of color only as votes, not as human beings worthy of a better future. she's going to do nothing for african-americans, she's going to do nothing for the hispanics. >> so can you see the reaction of the woman behind him, jaw dropping. she's like, oh, my gosh. what did you think when you heard that? >> we could have seen this coming. unfortunately it's because we're using this word racist in sloppy ways. there is such a thing as a racist and i do believe donald trump is one. but america listens to people using racists in -- i heard there were racist ice creams
7:26 pm
because ice creams -- >> ellen is not a racist? >> ellen is not a racist. somebody like trump, people on the right or the alt-right, are listening to that creative use of the word racist and the next thing you know, hillary clinton is supposedly a racist. >> you said you believe he's a racist. why? what he said publicly? his history? >> he's not going to come out and say black people are inferior, he might not think that, but when someone doesn't care about his associations with david duke and is confident enough to say it, that says to me he deprioritizes legitimate black concerns to the point that i would imagine this person thinks there's something wrong with the people he refers to as "the blacks" and "the african-americans." i don't lose any sleep over the fact that the the man who is a
7:27 pm
lot older than me is someone i describe as a bigot. i think we use the term too freely. >> regarding hillary clinton, he doubled down. >> previously you called her policies bigoted. you directly called her a bigot. >> she is a bigot. you look at what's happening in inner cities, to african-americans and hispanics. look at vets where she said the vets are being treated essentially just fine -- >> bigoted is having hatred for a particular group. >> she's selling them down the line. her policies are bigoted because she knows they're not going to work. >> does he know what a bigot is? >> he doesn't know what a bigot is if we use the word the way we
7:28 pm
used it in 1972. but what he is pushing against anderson cooper with is today's modern clever form of calling someone a bigot, which is to call somebody a bigot just because, for example, their policies or policies they support in the black community hasn't worked very well. he's not getting that from nowhere. there was a piece this week on slate saying it's bigoted to have the hash tag of what your first seven jobs were where you start low and climb because that insults people who would have a harder time climbing. next thing we know donald trump is calling hillary clinton of all people a racist. it's predictable. >> she has been taking the high road. she had been at least calling him a loose cannon, temperamently unfit. then she came a speech yesterday saying trump and his campaign has been a steady stream of
7:29 pm
bigotry, trying to lump him with the kkk, david duke and reminding them of the whole birther movement. listen to this. >> he promoted the racist lie that president obama is not really an american citizen, part of a sustained effort to delegitimize america's first black president. and in 2015 trump launched his own campaign for president with another racist lie. he described mexican immigrants as rapists and criminals. >> then you have tim kaine talking about -- saying that he is espousing ku klux klan values. have the wheels come off on both sides? >> no, i think that ku klux klan values and espousing them, that's rhetoric. however, there is such a thing as dog whistles and the fact that trump does not explicitly condemn and more than once and in a wide venue, the fact that he has such a fan base among
7:30 pm
people who aren't ashamed to call themselves bigots is a major statement. there's an issue of degree here. i don't think it means he's a klan member, i don't think it means that he's archie bunker, but there are names one can call such a person. >> this week he has said i don't want the votes of those people. is that enough? >> that's not enough because he's not saying it loudly enough. he should say it again and again and he won't. >> he's been making -- talking about hillary clinton and her super predator. >> we also have to have an organized effort against gangs, just as in a previous generation we had an organized effort against the mob. we need to take these people on. they are often connected to big drug cartels. they are not just gangs of kids anymore. they are often the kinds of kids call super predators, no conscience, no empathy. we can talk about why they ended
7:31 pm
up that way but first we have to bring them to heel. >> she has said she's regretted it and she apologized and she'll never use it again. >> people aren't going to like it when i say this but calling hillary clinton a racist for using the word super predators that way has been inaccurate and the beginning of the abuses of the words i was talking about here. she was talking about trying to help black communities. she used a certain word about a certain kind of person, which she said after mentioning similar efforts against the mob. she may be used a word that doesn't sound as good now as it does then. to call her a racist because of that i've always found recreational and inappropriate. but once somebody pulls something like that, look at what donald trump does in general. of course he's going to use the clip and say she's a bigot. i say the misuse of this word among educated people has led people with different kinds of
7:32 pm
agendas to basically throw that back in our faces. >> it's our fault, meaning it's everyone's fault. >> no, it's educated america's fault for taking that term and making it much too general. >> donald trump has been making this blatant appeal to african-americans in recent speeches. listen to this clip. >> what do you have to lose? you're living in poverty, you have no jobs, your schools are not good. what the hell do you have to lose? i say this to the african-american community. give donald trump a chance. we will turn it around. we will make your streets safe so when you walk down the street you don't get shot! >> do he or his people realize how insulting that is? and if they do, why would they continue to say it? >> to be perfectly honest, if
7:33 pm
you're going to talk about black america as if that's anything close to everybody, then that's the objectifies that justifies i think my saying here is somebody who on the continuum is someone who i would say has a very low opinion of black people in general, although, don, we can't forget this, how often we hear when black success is talked about that we must understand the black misery and the hideous statistics, et cetera. i think to an extent his people are taking it from that, that sometimes we, and by "we," i mean we can be highly cherry of describing blacksuccess and talking about black america's progress. sometimes people who aren't good at nuance are listening to that and next time he's talking about the black community as if you and i are going home to their
7:34 pm
ghetto apartments. >> i live in harlem, i don't worry about getting shot and there's great diversity. >> this underclass that we talk about is increasingly race neutral. it's not only his fault he can pull something as repulsive than that. >> if you're running for president of the united states, you should surround yourself with people who understand and that's not all about black america. thank you very much. when we come right back, donald trump and hillary clinton battling over who is best able to defeat isis, but it's a matter of life and death for american medics on the front line. that story is next. ♪
7:35 pm
is it a force of nature? or a sales event? the summer of audi sales event is here. get up to a $5,000 bonus on select audi models. the bud light party is going to addresses the issues that matter we are going to bring america together, hard. it's a party for everyone... men sfx: crowd cheers women sfx: crowd cheers people of all genders but, you know, gender identity it's really a spectrum and we don't need these labels. beer should have labels, not people. kablam! steel mill workers: yeah! we don't care we'll sell you beer. we'll sell you a beer any day of the week. steel mill workers: yeah! ♪ sfx: cheering i'start at the new carfax.comar. show me minivans with no reported accidents. boom. love it. [struggles]
7:36 pm
show me the carfax. start your used car search at the all-new carfax.com. someone's hacked all our technology... say, have you seen all the amazing technology in geico's mobile app? mobile app? look. electronic id cards, emergency roadside service, i can even submit a claim. wow... yep, geico's mobile app works like a charm. geico. expect great savings and a whole lot more. but the mortgage process hase a proven to be challenging. not with rocket mortgage by quicken loans. i stand corrected. (whisper) rocket for once. see star trek beyond in theatres.
7:37 pm
7:38 pm
donald trump and hillary clinton have gone head to head on isis and how to defeat them. trump even go so far to insist that clinton and president obama were what he called co-founders of isis. trump later said he was being sarcastic but the battle against isis is a matter of life and death and american medics are volunteers in that battle. cnn's arwa damon has more.
7:39 pm
>> we're looking for a place to set up our triage area. >> these are two americans on the medical front line. >> we have two casualties. let's treat them appropriately. stop blaming leverage. get him on. >> reporter: it's a chaotics are frontic effort on this day, compounded by a language barrier, different culture and significant lack of resources. >> i need [ bleep ] plastic. >> john, a trained medical technician from syracuse, new york, is volunteering. pete, of new jersey is a former marine turned medic who works with a nonprofit providing medical training and assistance. there is no advanced warning when a casualty is coming in.
7:40 pm
no time to prep before the next one arrives. >> move, move, move! >> the toughest thing about being out here as a combat medic is when your patients don't live. >> come on, man, stay with us! come back to us, man, come on! >> you can't fix everything. you want to save everybody but you can't. >> there's a breakdown in communication between us, coalition forces, peshmerga. it's difficult when you're trying your best to work on someone but the rest of the system isn't there. >> they both say they have comfortable, happy lives at home. was a guilt? >> guilt or sense of purpose. sometimes those overlap somewhere in the middle. >> i can help people at home and i feel good for what i do there but here that feeling is much greater.
7:41 pm
the peshmerga need significant help. they need training. they need an actual medical combat unit. people are throwing ammunition and guns at this place all day long. that's not saving lives. >> when i think of isis, i think of kmer rouge, nazis. there are so few times in history there's such a black versus white situation. they've been carrying this on their back with not enough support. people at home are upset about shootings and things like that and they don't have a clue what it's like a day here or a day in baghdad or in syria. it's pretty horrible. >> reporter: and, don, one of the things that is greatly lacking despite the fact that
7:42 pm
the u.s. military is training the iraqi army and the peshmerga is the medical aspect, which is why those two men really felt they had a significant role that they could play. >> arwa, what an incredible story you covered there. i understand you've just come back from a town liberated from isis on the outskirts of mosul. what did you see? >> reporter: it was the town of gayetta. it's very strategic. isis used to move around 100 oil tankers of crude a day from there. if you look at the images, you'll notice a black cloud of smoke hanging above the entire town. that's because for the last six to seven months isis has been burning that crude to try to impair visibility from above, to try to protect themselves against coalition air strikes. the people whose stories we heard when we were just inside there, don, are absolutely
7:43 pm
heartbreaking. you had a father who was clutching his 2-month-old, talking about how he was trying so hard to protect him from the violence because isis was using residents as human shields. a little girl told of how her father had been murdered and then strung from a post on the road down the middle of the main market because he was suspected by isis to sending information to coalition forces. people are absolutely terrified and they are celebrating the fact that the iraqi army was there. the iraqi army soldiers we spoke to told us they did face pretty intense resistance, a lot of booby-trapped vehicles, homes inlaid with bombs and also around 10 to 15 isis suicide bombers. it's really just a snapshot of what troops will be facing as they get closer to iraq's second city of mosul. >> i want you to stay with me. when we come back, i want to talk about what all this means for the war on isis. are we on the verge of defeating them?
7:44 pm
7:45 pm
t-mobile's coverage is unstoppable. we doubled our lte coverage. and, with extended range lte, it reaches farther than ever. now you can stream video and music free in more places without using any of your data. from skylines to coastlines, out in the country, deep in the city. we got you covered. 311 million americans and counting. and we won't stop. come see why t-mobile is #1 in customer satisfaction.
7:46 pm
7:47 pm
7:48 pm
cnn military analyst major general james spider marks, welcome to the panel. arwa, thanks for coming back. a battle to retake the main city of mosul is looming. it is iraq's second biggest city and the largest one that isis still occupies. how important is retaking the city in terms of the overall fight to destroy isis? >> well, it is one city but it is an extremely important crossroads and historically it's a magnificent city that needs to be back in iraqi hands. so there is some great symbology. so there is some economic reasons. but first and foremost, it is a major city that needs to be under the control of iraq. iraq is fighting for its identity, and in order to claim it, you have to be able to control the land.
7:49 pm
you've got to be able to control the ground. that's the key about mosul. you've got to get in there and it's going to be a horribly nasty fight in order to retake it. >> the iraqi army and peshmerga are closing in around the city, taking towns on the outskirts. they're tightening the noose. couldn't isis fighters melt back into this population? >> there's certainly a possibility even if they manage to take back mosul and that's going to be extraordinarily challenging, that they could melt back into the population, melt back into the countryside, into the deserts around and then launch guerrilla attacks, launch terrorist attacks and come back in some kind of way in the future. isis already made one comeback in iraq after being nearly defeated in the surge. this is going to be extraordinarily difficult in
7:50 pm
mosul. isis is going to fight, it is where their calliphate is. they've been using ieds to slow the forces. this could resemble something like stalingrad. there could be absolute devastation and a catastrophe. that's why strategists have been trying to strategize an uproaring from within. >> a washing you have reported as the iraqi army pushes towards mosul, there are fewer foreign fighters. does that mean the flood of new recruits they're getting from all around the world has been cut off? >> reporter: that could be one
7:51 pm
of the factors, don. we do know that obviously they are struggling to get foreign fighters in, given turkey having restricted its own border and tried to tighten it. but this is something that iraqi commanders on the ground have observed. the other conclusion that they're coming to is that they have actually pulled the bulk of their best fighters, the foreign fighters, to try to defend the city itself. speaking of resistance within the city, we reported on an organization that is calling itself the mosul battalions. and, yes, they're very small at this stage and they're not going to make on their own any sort of massive moves against isis, but they are able to, according to some of their operatives, launch small hit-and-run attacks against them, carrying out brazbraz brazen assassinations against isil leaders.
7:52 pm
they say they'll have zero hour when they will have a peace attack and when they'll try to protect the city and protect the residents and prevent the chaos we had in baghdad in 2003. there's a recognition for the fight in mosul to succeed, you need the support of the population, it cannot work without them. while, yes, there is a military plan to attack this city, it's not necessarily directly going to translate into a plan that means that the iraqis will be able to win the war. if one can even begin to define what's happen hearing in terms that are that simple as we're winning and we're losing. >> general, you've been listening to arwa and paul discuss all of this, they've taken back territory and killed thousands of isis fighters but isis is still able to direct terrorist attacks in paris, san
7:53 pm
bernardino, orlando. what's your assessment of how we are doing in this fight? >> you know, that's the point. paul made the comment about sta stallingrad. let's assume that mosul can be retaken. it's crucial that it is and it will be a brutal fight. assume there military success on the ground. the next step is all about governance and are all the stake holders in mosul on board? do they feel they're part of the future going forward so that isis cannot blend in and come back. the key thing is across the board if isis loses its physical control of terrain, if it no longer has anything that approximates this caliphate, they have demonstrated this immense capability to create what i would label a virtual caliphate. there is recruiting that's
7:54 pm
taking place online, there is inspiration that takes place online and there is no lack of desire of young, aggrieved men that are out there in the world that want to be a part of this ideology. that's the intergenerational fight we're about. we may be able to take mosul but it's all about the next steps and how do we cut down on what the incentives are to join this demonized form of islam. >> do you think we're winning, paul? >> there's been significant progress against isis in syria and iraq and also in libya, but one of the concerns is as t noose tightens around isis that they're going to lash out with a surge of international attacks, that when that pressure increases on them in mosul, they could launch even more operations -- their external operations division is thought to be based in raqqa, syria, in around that town so there can be pressure on them in iraq and they can still orchestrate the
7:55 pm
attacks against the west. >> thank you all, i appreciate it. we'll be right back. ♪ lots of vitamins a&c, and, only 50 calories a serving... good morning, indeed. v8. veggies for all. brewmaster. risktaker.. i sold everything i had to own a brewery. you might have heard its name... stella artois be legacy i'm jamie foxx for verizon. in the nation's largest independent study by rootmetrics, again, verizon is the number one network. hi, i'm jamie foxx for sprint. and i'm jamie foxx for t-mobile. (both) and we're just as good. really? what national awards have you won? none. exactly. only verizon was ranked number one nationally in data, reliability, text and call, and speed. yeah! and you're gonna fist pump to that?
7:56 pm
(announcer vo) don't get fooled by cut rate networks. get the best. and now get up to four free samsung galaxy phones, four lines, and sixteen gigs for just one-fifty. only on verizon. my eyelove is making ♪"allsomething unexpected.ays
7:57 pm
my eyelove is girls' night out. my eyelove is the september issue. eyelove is all the things we love to do with our eyes. but it's also having a chat with your eye doctor about dry eyes that interrupt the things you love. because if you're using artificial tears often and still have symptoms, it could be chronic dry eye. go to myeyelove.com and feel the love. [ woman ] thanks. the dealership reviews on cars.com made it easy, but... [ man ] we thought it might be a little more tense. you miss the drama? yeah. [ technician ] ask him whatever you want. okay. ♪ do you think my sister's prettier than me? ♪ [ laughs ] [ male announcer ] research, price, find. only cars.com helps you get the right car without all the drama.
7:58 pm
♪ only cars.com helps you hey, is this our turn? honey...our turn? yeah, we go left right here. (woman vo) great adventures are still out there. we'll find them in our subaru outback. (avo) love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. get zero percent on select subaru models during the subaru a lot to love event, now through august thirty-first.
7:59 pm
in kenya, terrorism is a constant threat. attacks by the extremist group al shabaab have left many struggling to survive. >> we have about six villages that have absolutely zero access to health care. when an individual is in a remote area and has an absolute emergency, it's considered a matter of destiny. i feel like there's no purpose if you don't challenge your comfort zone and do something that's a little bit bigger than who you are. >> she walked away from a successful life in america to help those in her homeland.
8:00 pm
to watch one of her life saving missions visit cnnheroes.com. that's it for us tonight. thanks for watching. i'll see you right back here on monday night. [ church bells ringing ] ♪ >> anthony: you go up this beautiful mountain. this incredible town. and it goes back to the 12th century. but people trudge up the hill to the beautiful church. they take the walk that michael corleone took. now and forevermore, it will be sort of the "godfather" theme park where they're just playing the "godfather" theme over and over. >> mary: i think most thoughtful sicilians are disgusted by this.

20 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on