Skip to main content

tv
Trump
Archive
  All Business The Essential Donald Trump  CNN  October 29, 2016 5:00pm-7:01pm PDT

5:00 pm
if you thought this election was in the bag, think again. it is an epic race between hillary clinton and donald trump it is a race that is significantly tighter. it is the top of the hour. i'm poppy harlow in new york, 8:00 p.m. eastern. so glad you're with us. tonight, a game changer from the fbi. director comey announcing new e-mails. the estrangeded wife of anthony weiner. the focus of a separate fbi investigation into allegations heted with a minor. whether these contain new information or are significant, we don't know at this point, but moments ago, donald trump unleashed a fresh round of ammunition aimed scarily at hillary clinton. >> the only reason, only reason, that they did this action, that
5:01 pm
you saw yesterday, was very, very serious things must be happening and must have been found. very, very serious. very, very serious. and you could also ask when they complain on the other side, why wasn't this evidence given previously? why wasn't given previously? and when you talk about insti t instinc instincts, i don't know if anybody saw my comments on anthony weiner, it's call instinct, folks. i had no idea i was going to be that accurate. boy, that was right on the nose. >> trump was referring to this 2015 tweet that he sent. here's what it says. it came out that huma knows about all the private e-mails. now just a few things there.
5:02 pm
there was no evidence of that at the time. and frankly, no charges have been brought against hillary clinton in regard to her e-mail server, although the fbi did call it extremely careless, so, moving forward, clinton right now is hosting this a get out the vote concert featuring jennifer lopez in florida. for her part, clinton said today trump is lying and quote, fear mongeringing. the clinton campaign is also hitting the fbi hard, demanding that fbi director comey reveal all the facts linked to this new e-mail review, so what did the polls show? pretty close race. cnn's poll of polls shows a five point spread. clinton in the lead, but this does not include the new e-mail revelations. a clinton aide tells cnn that clinton handled this news quote, like a champ and clinton told voters today she would not let it distract her. as we mentioned, she is in miami as a get out the vote concert
5:03 pm
with jennifer lopez. you're surrounded be by a lot pretty much all clinton supporters, young folks. do these, i won't call them revelations because we don't know what they say. is this new e-mail review trouble toging to them? >> well, i think you can tell it's a very festive scene here in miami. this was supposed to be a very cheerful and sort of happy day for hillary clinton. the mood has been very good inside of the clinton campaign for the last couple of week, really, because they have seen their poll numbers go up. especially in battleground states. this was supposed to be a get out the vote effort with jennifer lopez, other celebrities like mark anthony, but now, they come to florida in very different circumstances. of course, now, they have a cloud of fbi investigation or at the beginning of you know, the examination of these e-mails, to
5:04 pm
reassure supporters there's nothing to see here. as far as they're concerned now, they don't have enough information to even feel worried that anything new might be uncovered. it was really interesting, actually, seeing clinton address her supporters earl quler in the day. as soon as mentioned james comey's name, the crowd started to boo. she didn't state him by name, but when she mentioned the letter that james comey sent to congressional leaders, the crowd reacted very negatively to this letter. they know there's something else out there and they buy into this idea that this might be a wrongly timed thing to have to come out so close to the election, so this is the message of the clinton campaign is really pressing right now. >> we'll get back in a little bit. clearly, a little loud.
5:05 pm
in miami. thank you, mj. it is too early to tell what impact this will happen on clinton. she's still ahead. ahead five points in cnn's poll of polls nationally. it has become talk, the talk of the campaign trail today. donald trump is using it as ammunition, all weekend long. hillary clinton again saying trump is lying. fear mongeri inmongering. the person miss frg this discussion is the one closest to this new fbi e-mail review and that is this woman. huma abadeen. she was missing from the campaign trail we're told she was in brooklyn working on the campaign in the final days here and this is nothing out of the o ordinary, but this is a woman that's been called hillary
5:06 pm
clinton's shadow. someone who's been by her side for the past 21 years. started working with clinton at age 19. thanks for being here, guys. let's listen to what joe biden said to michael smerconish. >> i'd be remiss if i didn't note that if she had released all the e-mail frs the get go, we wouldn't be having this conversation. >> that's true, but i don't know where this e-mail came from. >> so, hillary, a hillary clinton supporter. vice president joe biden, a big supporter of hillary clinton, said that's true. couldn't clinton have gotten ahead of this by handing over her team and her all of the e-mails so that 15,000 new ones weren't found a few months ago and frankly, all of the devices
5:07 pm
so that the fbi wouldn't be saying look, we have this newcap that has e-mails. they may be pertinent, we're going through them. >> fifrst of all, she did hand over the e-mails. the state department had to review every one of them to make sure that there were not things that they didn't want released and so, but the fbi -- >> she wasn't in control of that. >> the fbi found 15,000 more. >> the fbi said that after additional e-mails were found, they didn't know how much were duplicates and ultimately, what they found were that the overwhelmingly, they were and that there was nothing else in the ones that weren't that were re relevant, so this constant suspicious about what's there really doesn't connect to the fact that hillary clinton has cooperated with the fbi and the state department from day one.
5:08 pm
that the fbi for the last 24 hours has been backgrounding reporters, kind of back peddling from what comby said to make sure that people didn't think that they knew that these e-mails were new e-mails. h huma might have had all of these same e-mails already sent over. so there's just a constant action like well, these must be new, but actually, they were turned over. so -- >> we don't know that. >> comey's behavior is just puzzling to so many of us. >> it wasn't puzzling a couple of montes ago when you were praising him for being an aet ethical guy that's nonpolitical and has done an increde bable job at the fbi. >> let's listen to that. to the exact words. then i'll respond. >> now, it seems we're dispibted
5:09 pm
with the outcome of this investigation, so they decide to put the fbi director in the hot seat, second guess his decision and it's a bad look for house republicans to be second guessing a career prosecutor who was a registered republican, the number two official under the justice department and was a deputy counsel on the white water community investigating the clintons in the 1990s. >> he did his job then. people didn't like it on the republican side. he's doing his job now, democrats koent like it. it is perez dents t to have a server in your basement, to swipe and clean the bleach from that server. froms to smash phones so that your staff makes sure that the e-mails are not seen by the american people. hillary said today that the fbi did before this election, all of her actions of secrecy and d deceit and lies and covering up
5:10 pm
of what she was doing while at the state department, that's what's unprecedented. she think only be angry at hillary clinton tonight because she did this on purpose and it's finally biting her in the rear end as it should. >> let's review everything ben just said was actually looked at by the fbi and cleared by the fbi. so, what we have now is and this goes to the heart of why you think somehow, brian is being inconsistent from what he said before to where they are today. in june, it was a conclusion and it was specific. we found no criminal intent. no reason to prosecute or pursue that. what he did on friday was vague and completely speculative. not his job. his job is to investigate and conclude. and make a recommendation of prosecutors. instead what he did in my view,
5:11 pm
to cover his ass with republican house members. wait -- >> let her finish. >> they've been a little thin skinned a about all of the attacks that the fbi has taken from the right over the last couple of months, so i think he went overboard with information not having any clue u what it mean, then they realized what happened and they have spent all day today talking to reporters saying oh, no, we didn't mean to say they were -- >> to that point -- >> we didn't mean to say huma had released them. >> to hillary's point sh ben, do you think it is helpful to the voter in this is who it's all about. zpl yes, i do. >> is it helpful to the voter to put out a three paragraph letter to congress saying we think there are e-mails here, we think they may be pertinent but we don't know if they're significant not laying out any details. is that helpful to the voter?
5:12 pm
listen -- the trump team, and the clinton team actually are on exactly the same page saying give us all the facts. >> don't you want to know what it is -- >> hillary, let me answer. i would love to know what it is and the problem is is that your candidate, hillary clinton, purposely destroyed e-mails and purposely. >> what we're talking about is this -- >> no, no. >> you're trying to reopen the past. you can't. you can't use them to reopen the past. that's what you are trying to do. >> the american voter doesn't know was found here and here's what i know about what you said james comey was covering his ass earlier. he probably is because he found information that is more than likely so shocking that within 24 hours -- >> ben, ben, got to stick to the facts. both of you, i'm going to tell our viewers the facts. give me a minute. james comey said, the fbi cannot assess whether or not this
5:13 pm
material may be significant. so, ben, he's not taking this shockinging or not shocking. he's not saying it's material or immaterial. we don't know. those are the facts. >> see this. it is shocking that you have information that is showing up on anthony weiner and huma's computer that is classified in nation. the point where the fbi -- >> he didn't say it was classified. >> i'm going to go out on a limb and say when there's 1200 documents, there's an extremely good chance -- >> ben bernan, this show is not platform for thipgs we don't know and that's one thing we don't know. you're peftly entitled to your opinion, but facts are facts. >> but here's the fact. why is there information that the fbi need sz to investigate if it is not somehow classified in nature? >> well, what we don't know is whether the information that was on that computer was already
5:14 pm
submitted as e-mails that huma had sent and that they were relevant. they don't, what happened was the new york office apparently and the only reason we know this is because of the fbi is sort of backgrounding and secretly telling reporters some additional information because they know that their director on friday threw everything out into the open and against the wall and put everybody in an unfair frenzy, so what they have been saying secretly is, oh, here's some thing that is we don't know. >> i got -- ben. >> the only thing here that's n unfair is the fact that hillary clinton put you and me and everybody in this situation to have this much doubt about her credibility, honesty, when dealing with national security issues and stapt department by destroying her e-mails and putting them on a sever which in our own campaign's words were why in the world would they do this. they wrused an expletive i can't
5:15 pm
use here. these people who were upset, you should be upset at hillary clinton for not being tranz parent. >> you can't use what happened yesterday to reopen what the fbi already concluded was not an issue. and hillary clinton has already apologized to the voters for that. >> we're going to leave it there. hilary rosen, we appreciate it. >> coming up, hillary clinton's campaign obviously not happy with the fbi writing this letter to congress and not giving more information. >> in fact, in fact, it's not just strange, it's unprecedented and it is deeply troubling. >> we will take a look at the investigation through the eyes of a former fbi assistant director. who joins me next. and can you explain to me why you recommend synthetic over cedar? "super food"? is that a real thing? it's a great school, but is it the right the one for her? is this really any better than the one you got last year? if we consolidate suppliers what's the savings there? so should we go with the 467 horsepower? or is a 423 enough?
5:16 pm
good question. you ask a lot of good questions... i think we should move you into our new fund. ok. sure. but are you asking enough about how your wealth is managed? wealth management, at charles schwab. two words: it heals.e different? how? with heat. unlike creams and rubs that mask the pain, thermacare has patented heat cells that penetrate deep to increase circulation and accelerate healing. let's review: heat, plus relief, plus healing, equals thermacare. the proof that it heals is you. (i wanted him to eat healthy., so i feed jake purina cat chow naturals indoor, a nutritious formula with no artificial flavors. made specifically for indoor cats. purina cat chow. nutrition to build better lives.
5:17 pm
brewed generation after generation... this beer is fiercely loyal. only with moravian barley. coors banquet. that's how it's done. start yours with philips sonicare, the no.1 choice of dentists. compared to oral-b 7000, philips sonicare flexcare platinum removes significantly more plaque. this is the sound of sonic technology
5:18 pm
cleaning deep between teeth. hear the difference? get healthier gums in just 2 weeks vs a manual toothbrush and experience an amazing feel of clean. innovation and you. philips sonicare. save now when you buy philips sonicare. when james comey decided to
5:19 pm
announce a new review of e-mails potentially linked to hillary clinton's private e-mail server investigation, he put the spotlight during this contentious campaign scarily frankly on himself. he is getting praised from some. criticism from others, so, who is the fbi's top man? gary tuckman reports. >> he became the seventh director of the fbi in to 20 13 at the beginning of president obama's second term. >> so help me god. >> congratulations. >> but years before that, he became the number two at the justice department under president george w. bush and was a registered republican although now, he says he's quote not registered any longer, but in the past, he donated to the mitt romney campaign in 2012 and the john mccain campaign in 2008. he also served as counsel on the white water committee in 1996. but his reputation for bipartisan fairness has long been well-known. >> and mr. jim comey.
5:20 pm
>> took over the spot from bob muller, this is what he had to say. >> i have had the opportunity to work with jim for a number of years in the department of justice and i have found him to be a man of honesty, dedication and integrity. >> comey gained a degree of fame for his role in one of the most dramatic incidents during george w. bush tenure in the white house. john ash croft was gravely ill in the hospital. two of president bush's top aides rushed there to try to get ash croft to endorse a warrantless eavesdropping program. comey was acting attorney general and when he found out about the plan, he rushed to the hospital and stopped it. >> i was very upset. i was angry. i thought i just witnessed at effort to take vapg of a very sick man. >> the eavesdropping program was not endorsed. as federal prosecutor, comey dealt with the terrorist bombing case following the attack 20
5:21 pm
years ago at a u.s. military facility in saudi arabia that killed 19 service members. he prosecuted members of the mafia. >> we are here this afternoon to announce the unsealing of three separate indictments against 14 alleged members in the gambino crime family. >> and he prosecuted america's -- >> martha stewart is being prosecuted not because of who she is, but because what she did. >> back in july, donald trump tweeted the system the rigged after the statement rartding hillary clinton. >> we are expressing no charges are appropriate in the case. >> then trump said this. >> it might not be as rigged as i thought. right? right? the fbi -- i think they're going to right the ships folk, i think they're going to right the ship. >> gary tuckman, cnn, atlanta.
5:22 pm
>> let's talk about this with a man who is unique insight into the federal bureau of investigations. tom fuentes. thanks for being here. i just want your assessment of what comey has done. was he right to come forward to send that letter to congress say look, we found another device, some e-mails. we don't know if they're pertinent or not, but we want you to know we're looking at them. zpl i think he kind of painted himself into a corner because of the july 5th press conference. that was unprecedented and to have the fbi director determine that it shouldn't even be referred to the department of justice, you know, nobody in the fbi in my former colleagues and many still in the bureau, just know one understood why that was. when they heard his presentation, they thought it merited an announcement that charges were recommended. if any announcement be made, but they thought the package should
5:23 pm
have gone to the department of justice for a final decision and he cut that off and said we recommend closing it. once he did that, there was no choice. >> frankly, lor ta lynch said previously, we will defer to the fbi on this. >> she did, but she could have deferred to and that was wrong on her part. she has underlings that are professional career prosecutors, civil service, that are not under the appointment of the president or serving at the behest of the president. that could have been handled by normal means. the senior officials at the fbi referring that to prosecutors at doj who have handled many, many f o these types of investigations and handling it that way. now, that he did, what he did on july 5th, then testified before congress, and congress says if there's a new development, you're closing this case, did close this case or you're stopping the investigation. if there's a new development,
5:24 pm
tell us. you have to let us know and i think that's what comes down to this week. that they have a new development that he felt compelled. he couldn't sit on it until november 9th and not say anything and have come out that he had known for a week and a half that this was going to be looked into it. i think he felt he had no chase and they made the decision to send the letter. >> listen to hillary clinton. here's what she said on the trail today in florida. >> voters deserve to get full and complete facts. and so, we've called on drek comey -- on the table. >> would that be appropriate? for the fbi director to do that? davis, who's big clinton support e special counsel for the clintons, represented in white water, said he can bring in 200 extra agent, spend 24 hours and release them to the public.
5:25 pm
why not do that ten days out? >> because they're going to have to contact people that were at the sending and receiving ends on these chains of e-mails and determine what they have to say about the nature of these messages and they're working business hour, fbi, they have agents working at 2:00 in the morning are not going to be able to knock on the doors of officials from other agencies and ask them about this investigation. it's not practice kl. the fbi, you know, they know the fbi is fot h going to release on a daily basis every bit of information as they learn it, so it's easy for them to say oh, release everything. i would say you know they may come to regret what they wish for. there's a lot that's not being discussed. the fbi has an intentive investigation.
5:26 pm
the reports that three came in with a request to washington to open cases and they were turned down by the department of justice, that's not true. what was turned down was that they be the originated office. headquarters at the fbi made the determination that the investigation would go forward as a comprehensive unified case and be coordinated, so that investigation is ongoing and huma abedin and her role and activities concerning secretary of state in the nature of the foundation and possible pay to play, that's still being looked at and now, we have her e-mails on the computer where the fbi has a accept rait case going for anthony weiner's activities with a minor girl. in a sense, it's almost turned into a one stop shopping for the fbi as they could have implications affecting three separate swrinvestigations on o computer.
5:27 pm
>> why are you bringing, what are you connecting here? the clinton foundation to this. comey was writing specifically about e-mails found on huma abedin's computer that they came across because they were investigating her husband. >> he didn't say how this affects every investigation and issue a five page memorandum. internally, when looking at this case and they see weiner's alleged activities and huma abedin's e-mail sit tlg and her e-mails are not just related to the e-mail clinton, that part's being reopened. the clinton foundation case didn't need to be reopened. that's ongoing. so, when they say this possibly when the team looking at the weiner computers, they went to the team of investigators that
5:28 pm
did the clinton e-mail case and showed e-mails to them earlier in the week and that seem said this is really significant. we need to take this to the director. maybe we need to take another look at the e-mail case, but intermixed with this, is still the ongoing foundation case. >> i got to leave it there. but i just wabt to want to clarify, you saying sort of walking through the process of ou this tran pyspired. are those facts you know from the fbi? >> yes, senior officials at the fbi, several of them, the team doing the weiner investigation took the information they got from that computer to the team that had done the clinton e-mail investigation and the two teams went to director comey and the next day, he put out the letter. zpl tom fuentes, thank you. >> you're welcome. >> the presidential campaign comes down to well, election night. and who get to 270 electoral votes. we'll look at the path ahead and
5:29 pm
what it could mean for both candidates. you're live in the cnn news room. also looking at pictures from hillary clinton's get out the vote event. jennifer lopez there in miami. we'll be right back. >> can i talk to you from my soul? ♪ ♪ where do you think you're going? ♪ ♪ where do you think you're going-going, girl? ♪ ♪ ♪ girl, where do you think you're going? ♪
5:30 pm
upgrade your phone system and learn how you could save at vonage.com/business effective at a cellular level. improve joint comfort. cosamin. for joint health,
5:31 pm
it's time to start believing again.
5:32 pm
we need to be ready for my name's scott strenfel and r i'm a meteorologist at pg&e. we make sure that our crews as well as our customers are prepared to how weather may impact their energy. so every single day we're monitoring the weather, and when storm events arise our forecast get crews out ahead of the storm to minimize any outages. during storm season we want our customers to be ready and stay safe. learn how you can be prepared at pge.com/beprepared. together, we're building a better california.
5:33 pm
it is too early to know what affect the fbi's review of e-mails linked to a long time hillary clinton aide may have on this race, but it certainly has given donald trump some new ammunition on the campaign trial. you've heard him playing it out today. our political director breaks down a path to 270 electoral votes, the number, the magic number of electoral votes needed to win for trump. what could that look like? >> we've been talking about donald trump's very narrow path to 270 and it was clearly on display if you looked at his travel schedule on friday. he went to new hampshire, maine and iowa. a total of 11 electoral vote there is, but he needs them all. if we give donald trump every remaininging battleground state, nevada, utah, arizona, florida,
5:34 pm
north carolina, and ohio, i'm even giving him that one in nebraska, that gets him to 265. so, he was in new hampshire on friday. look here. if he gets new hampshire, that's 269. but why was he in maine? because he went to maine's second congressional district, which they order by congressional district to pick up one vote. that electoral vote gets him to 270 if he's able to win that electoral vote in maine. this is donald trump's path to 270. run the board. flip new hampshire. win that maine electoral vote, which has a lot of white, noncollege educated voters. trump voters, where they think they could pick that up. they think it's what puts him over the hurdle. >> thank you very much. that road to 270 electoral votes, we will see if it gets
5:35 pm
tougher for hillary clinton after this new fbi review of e-mails found on huma abedin's computer or not. we have polling to show how people are feeling about this yet. now, a former prosecutor on the watergate scandal says the fbi director acted quote folately inappropriately. we'll ask him why. stay with us. open up a lot of dawn. tough on grease...yet gentle. dawn helps open... something even bigger. go to facebook.com, dawn saves wildlife.
5:36 pm
(i wanted him to eat healthy., so i feed jake purina cat chow naturals indoor, a nutritious formula with no artificial flavors. made specifically for indoor cats. purina cat chow. nutrition to build better lives. ♪ using 60,000 points from my chase ink card
5:37 pm
i bought all the framework... wire... and plants needed to give my shop... a face... no one will forget. see what the power of points can do for your business. learn more at chase.com/ink
5:38 pm
5:39 pm
you're looking at live pictures of j lo warming up the crowd for hillary clinton, who is in miami. at the get out the vote event. it is raining, but the show must go on. we'll brick you clinton as soon as she begins to speak. meantime, james comey when he told congress he new e-mails possibly linked to hillary clinton's private servers he didn't just get long standing justice department practice, he went against those at the top. sources say the that top official ts at the doj expressed concern to comey about send iin my letter to congress at this point because they said doing so so close to an election goes against how the department of justice does business. comey disregarded those concerns. sent the letter any way. thank you for being here. you take issue. you call this totally
5:40 pm
inappropriate. >> totally inappropriate and outrageous because the fbi has one function. it is the investigative arm of the department of justice. their job is simply to investigate cases, determine what the facts are and then provide that information to pross. >> he went in front of the public in july and held a press conference and said, yes, secretary clinton and her team was extreme ly careless, but knw there's not a case to be brought here, no, she didn't do anything illegal and then, if anything changes, we will update you. this is him updating them. how could he not have done this after what he did in july? >> first of all, what he did in july was totally inappropriate. he had no business first of all making any kind of announcement with respect to the investigation. >> that may be, but it happened. so what's the argument for him
5:41 pm
not updating congress yesterday? >> because he has no obligation. his boss is the attorney general, urn the attorney general in charge of the criminal division and if he was to do anything, it had to be at the behest of those two individuals. >> why do you think he did? >> you'll have to ask james comey. it's about anything else here. this is -- i don't think there's ever been an instance wheat thet of justice where the fbi director has gone rogue in taking it upon himself to hold his own press conferences. and comment and give an ongoing running commentary on an investigation and then to violate the -- >> they're not rules. they're practice. nothing's written in stone.
5:42 pm
>> not true. there are actually -- >> it's not written in stone that you can't do this. >> it's in the manuals o department of justice. he has to clear this. he doesn't have the right to have a press conference about anything. this is, the spokesman for the department of justice is the attorney general. sh she decides who makes announcements. >> department say before he held the press conference in july she would refer to his findings in this case. >> she said she would defer to his findings and findings of the career prosecutors. they're the ones that will make the ultimate decision. he's not the prosecutor here, he's simply in charge of the investigation agency. >> hillary clinton, say -- aend then two months later, it is revealed to the public that they were looking at new e-mails, ten days before the election. >> first of all, there is no
5:43 pm
transparency at a criminal investigation. end of story. the best example i can give you -- you've got this trial going on. the only facts -- the evidence that's presented at trial, the proper place and time for evidence to be presented. there is no press conference by the fbi. we didn't see james comey on governor christie was running for president up there and telling the public that they have to know about what's going on in the investigation because this man's -- >> comey's done what he's done. you didn't like and he's done this. >> hoover did this. >> works more of behind the scenes, but that is neither here nor there. what is pertinent is what now. right, so what should comey do now? >> it's a complete mess in terms
5:44 pm
of what he should do. >> both trump and clinton, both their camps are calling on him to do the same thing, which is release all the e-mail, put it all in the public domain. >> first of all, it couldn't be comey. trekting that all of these e-mails get out there as quickly as possible. she should completely bypass comey. this should p done in coordination with certain agents and personnel at the department of justice. they should release it immediately, like tomorrow. this is not a very difficult thing to do. you've got a certain number of e-mails t question he raised in the letter is whether or not there's classified information. there can only be three classes. either top secret, secret or confidential. all you need to do is have a few word searches and you'll know whether any of those e-mails had those particular designations. >> got to wrap it there. thank you very much. >> thank you. zpl nice to have you on the
5:45 pm
program. coming up, the presidential election of 2016 will go down in his as well, certainly unique for a variety of reasons. doris kearns goodwin with me next on her thoughts on this race. hi my name is tom. i'm raph. my name is anne. i'm one of the real live attorneys you can talk to through legalzoom. don't let unanswered legal questions hold you up, because we're here, we're here, and we've got your back. legalzoom. legal help is here. legal help is here. hey! we're doing the wave! all taking off with me!baby. for 42 minutes he's been trying to bring an entire stadium to its feet. you missed it buddy. (rich) why does he do it? for glory? notoriety? we don't know. waaaaave! frankly, we don't need to know. but much like this hero, courtyard is all about the game.
tv-commercial
5:46 pm
taking off with me! one, two, three! waaaaave-- there's my guy! yes. snacks? yeah, man, eat it up and we're gonna burn it off doing the wave! when they thought they should westart saving for retirement.le then we asked some older people when they actually did start saving. this gap between when we should start saving and when we actually do is one of the reasons why too many of us aren't prepared for retirement.
5:47 pm
just start as early as you can. it's going to pay off in the future. if we all start saving a little more today, we'll all be better prepared tomorrow. prudential. bring your challenges. start the interview with a firm handshake. ay,no! don't do that! try head & shoulders instant relief. it cools on contact, and also keeps you 100% flake free. try head & shoulders instant relief. for cooling relief in a snap.
5:48 pm
leadership, it is critical in whoever the next president is and no one knows how important that quality is in a president than perhaps doris kearns goodwin. she spent decades studying political geniuses and downfalls. she interviewed president obama in the oval office for "vanity fair" and is known by some as america's historian in chief. i sat down with her to talk about leadership. >> let's talk about leadership because your next book is about leadership. what have you learned about what
5:49 pm
voters should look for in presidential candidates when it comes to leadership? you know, outside of temperament, what else do they need to look for as they decide in the next less than two weeks who they're going to vote for when it comes to being a great leader? >> well, i think to some extent, a great leader depends upon the events that a person is is presented with and you have to hope that they have the adaptability to be able to move with the times. for example, what made fdr one of our greatest leaders, he was extraordinary in giving the country optimism. he had a -- then when the war came, he was able to say dr. new deal is going to be dr. win the war. he saw that you have to change his mode of beinging, his style. so, you need somebody that can adapt in times, but has enough confidence inside that they're not going to take criticism personally. eleanor roosevelt once said she
5:50 pm
could take it it not a hard shell, but a deep confidence that allows you to take it that assume it. >> regardless of who wins on november 8th, what do you think our children will be taught about this election? >> what i worry about is the whole dialogue that the children have seen on television. things were bad in the 19th century, but they were limited to partisan press, you would only read your own press and not see it on television and i think what young people have seen on tv, called them cheats and babies, and it's a bad thing for the country, but the fact that so many people have been interested in the campaign and it's part of the conversation of the country more than any other, and that's probably a good thing, and hopefully young
5:51 pm
people will be interested in public life. >> frankly, what do you think it will mean for this country to either elect the first female president or to elect somebody with zero time in political office? >> it will be the first time either way. you are absolutely right. there's -- obviously we have had 44 presidents and not a femal a among them, and that's not an issue and it has been overshadowed, and you are right about the mr. trump, it's the first time anybody without military experience, without any political experience, and we had wilkey running, and it may open the door to a lot of other people or may not, and what if it opens the door for 43 more
5:52 pm
women to run after this and become president, and it's inconceivable but shows how long we have gone without a woman. either way it's going to be historic. you are right. >> you did a big exit interview with him, that ran in vanity fair. in that he talked about ancient egypt and when he thinks about the responsibility of his job and responsibility to the future, he thinks of ancient egypt? >> i think what he was saying is that it was -- it was so interesting because it was near to that comment about ancient egypt what hurt him or haunted him the most and it was about syria, and it was what if he had the genius of a lincoln or churchill or the charm of an fdr, maybe there would have been new ways to think about things the way he had not thought about
5:53 pm
it, and on the other hand, an awareness that when you look at the people who died in ancient egypt and they were the center of the world and they are just pyramids, and dust that is there, it gives you a perspective that you are not really the center of everything. that's important for a president especially to remember because they are made to be the center of the world. >> he also said this when you were talking about leaving his time in office and going back to being a private citizen, he talked about george washington, and he said he understood that part of the experiment we were setting up is this idea you serve the nation and then it's over and you are a citizen again and that office of a citizen remains important and that ability to let go is what you have. >> letting go in a democracy, and that's why george washington is so revered, and he realized
5:54 pm
it was important to stop after the two terms and that became the tradition. it's different, you will go back to being just a private citizen. i was teasing him about eisenhower, and he had never made a private phone call for a long period of time and when he went home he put up the phone and heard this sound, and he said what is this sound, and it was a dial tone, and he thought he was a little bit more technologically sophisticated because of his daughters than that, but still being able to walk around somewhere other than in the rose garden followed by the secret service and your dog. it's important to let go. >> what do you think he will do? >> he is so young that i think he will do many things. i don't think he fully decided. clearly creating the library, and they have become rituals that presidents have to do but as a writer it's going to be a great treasure for him to look
5:55 pm
at himself from the outside in, which i think he always does and be able to write something special in memoir history. >> your november 9th headline is? >> i am a historian. i can't look at the future. i only look at the past. if hillary wins i hope the headline is that this is a woman and finally america has caught up with the rest of the world and if there is trump winning, maybe an exclamation after it, trump! and i don't think we will go through a transition because of his claiming it was a rigged election, and al gore finally came out and said he was going to give support to bush and do whatever he could to heal the country and there's something about the president she when bush payment president, he was
5:56 pm
president, and i have a faith in our countries and presidency to say that this person will be legitimate. hopefully when they do take the office. >> a faith in our country, doris goodwin, my thanks to you. >> you're welcome. let me take you now to battleground florida. get out the vote event, hillary clinton just wrapping up her remarks onstage following j.lo. let's listen. >> there are just ten days left in the most important election of our lives. and, you know, it might be a little easy to forget with all the fun and excitement and the joy that you saw up on this stage today, donald trump is out there stoking fear. disgracing our democracy, and
5:57 pm
insulting one group of americans after another. let me ask you this. are we going to let donald trump get away with that? you are right, we are not, and we believe in a different kind of change where we come together, we grow together, because you know what, we are stronger together. so just remember, no matter how low our opponents go, we go high. no matter what they throw at us, we don't back down. not now, not ever. the rain has come back, so here's what i am asking all of you to do, 16.5 million people
5:58 pm
already voted right here in florida, and let's keep the momentum going and we just heard jennifer performing "let's get loud" and i say let's get loud at the voting birth. you can vote early a mile from here every day from now until november 6th, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., and let's get loud by knocking on doors and making calls and take out your phones and texas j-o-i-n, because if we turn out we win. so i am going to work as hard as i can between now and the time of the election being over every day, every hour, every minute, and this is our chance to stand up for our values, to say with
5:59 pm
one voice, one, say it loud, love trump's hate. thank you all, and god bless you. [ applause ] >> shall i do one more? >> one more. >> one more? one more? >> one more? >> one more before we get out of here. there you have it, j.lo following hillary clinton's brief remarks there in miami florida, and 29 electoral votes
6:00 pm
there that she desperately wants to win in what has been a challenging day for camp clinton and pushing forward we are ten days out, folks, until you make your decision on the next president. thank you for being us tonight. next on cnn, the essential donald trump. i will see you back here tomorrow night. >> announcer: the following is a cnn special report. he's the most unconventional candidate in history. >> i'm not using the lobbyists. i'm not using donors. i don't care. i'm really rich. >> an outsider -- >> our politicians are stupid. >> -- offending the rules of the game. >> he represents sort of an earthquake in a box to washington, d.c.
6:01 pm
>> winning more primary votes than any republican ever. >> you've given me the honor to lead the republican party to victory this fall. >> he's a father of five. >> i'm the woman i am today because of how he raised me. he taught me to dream big. >> a billionaire businessman. >> anything he touched turned to gold. >> donald's a star. like him or not like him. >> he nearly lost everything. >> how close was he to going personally bankrupt? >> very. >> he's the master of the comeback. >> trump is definitely back. much to the chagrin of some people. >> anybody who can take a building for a million dollars and turn it into $550 million, that's fantastic. >> he's combative. like to punch him in the face, i tell you. >> i was putting a tarnish on the trump brand. >> then you were fired. >> on the spot. >> he's shocking. >> i'm automatically attracted to beautiful -- i just start kissing them.
6:02 pm
it's like a phalg tphepbt -- magnet. when you are a star, you can do it. you can do anything. grab them by the pussy. do anything. >> that is a point where i have to part company. >> now he's competing on the biggest stage of his life. >> we will make america strong again. and we will make america great again. >> tonight, a cnn special report. "all business: the essential donald trump." >> it is my pleasure to introduce to you today my father, donald j. trump. >> the run actually started with a ride. down the escalator in his namesake, trump tower.
6:03 pm
♪ awaiting him at the bottom, his daughter, ivanka, and a gaggle of reporters. ♪ >> ladies and gentlemen -- >> they knew this was coming. >> -- i am officially running for president of the united states. >> but this took everyone by surprise. >> when mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. they're sending people that have lots of problems. they're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists, and some, i assume, are good people. >> it was clear from the start that this would be an election season like no other.
6:04 pm
what was going through your mind at that moment? >> that moment and every subsequent moment has just been surreal. i mean, there's no way to prepare yourself for this. and especially for us, we're businesspeople. >> my father brought us into his office and he said, kids, we're going to do this. i'll never forget that, "we're going to do this." here we are, he's in the driver's seat. it is an incredible thing. it's just an amazing story. >> we wanted donald trump to tell his story in his own words, but despite repeated requests, he declined to be interviewed for this program. so how does a well-off kid from queens get to the doorstep of the white house? donald john trump was born to win. the fourth of five children of fred and mary trump, he was the
6:05 pm
most like his father. >> i had a great relationship with my father. i had a wonderful father who was a tough guy, but he was a good guy. and he was a really good builder. he knew how to get things done. >> fred trump was a self-made millionaire whose buildings changed the landscape of brooklyn and queens. >> he was just a worker. that's what he did. i remember as a kid, he'd go spend a weekend with them. it was, what do you want to do? i guess we'll go collect rents, we'll go do -- >> collect rent? >> yeah, his famous saying was to retire is to expire. >> is your dad like his father? >> i think very much so. no one is going to outwork him. nobody has more energy than him. >> as his father's young apprentice, donald learned the rules of the game at an early age. michael d'antonio wrote the biography "the truth about trump." >> fred trump was a workaholic. fred wasn't the kind of dad who
6:06 pm
said, let's go to the ball game on sunday. he was the kind of dad who said, come to work with me and look around on the ground and see if you see any nails that the workmen should have picked up. >> very just incredibly frugal. he'd see a nail on the ground and pick it up because that was a cent, that was value, save that for later. >> fred instilled lessons that stuck with his son for the rest of his life. >> the first thing fred taught donald was life is a competition, and that it's almost a competition to the death. so there's only winning and losing. there's nothing else in life. >> fred was also controversial, sued along with donald by the justice department for race discrimination against potential black tenants. he settled without an admission of guilt.
6:07 pm
while fred was running his business, donald's mother, mary, stayed at home. >> she's that perfect combination of love but toughness. she would tell a joke and just have everybody in the room across many generations just laughing and laughing hysterically. >> she loved to have people looking at her, listening to her, paying attention to her, and i think this is partly where donald gets his desire to be noticed. >> donald's own personality would emerge at the private kew forest day school. >> he was very aggressive on the soccer field. >> paul onish was donald's teammate and friend. >> we frequently showed our toughness to the other team during halftime. we would eat oranges whole without ever peeling them and
6:08 pm
they thought we were crazy. >> donald didn't like to lose. >> we would do anything we could that was within the legal grounds of playing soccer to prevent the other team from scoring. >> in the classroom, donald's aggression often turned into mischief. >> we got in trouble by playing bumper desks. we would pull girls' hair in front of us and throw spitballs at other people when the teacher wasn't looking. >> donald spent so much time in detention, his friends nicknamed it after him. >> we nicknamed it donny trumps, so the teachers called it detention but we called it a d.t. >> by the eighth grade, fred trump had had enough and sent his son to military school to straighten up. >> i went to military academy because i wasn't the most well-behaved person in the world, and my parents had no idea what to do with me and they heard about this school that was a tough place.
6:09 pm
>> this is the only child they send away and they don't just send him to private school, they send him to a place where he's put in a uniform. this was a very rough place. >> at new york military academy, donald quickly got in line. >> these were little boys who were expected to be military cadets. so they lived in very spare rooms. they got up early, marched to mess, and sports was essential. this idea of being a champion. >> formative years in young donald's life. >> i don't think he ever really overcame this sense that he had to achieve at the highest level just to belong. the trump kids, the boys especially, were taught that they were to be killers and kings. that meant that they were supposed to win at all costs and rule over others.
6:10 pm
>> as for his siblings, three of them would go on to great success, but his older brother, fred, would lose his way, drink too much, and die young. >> he was a great guy. he was the most handsome guy. he had the best personality. but he got hooked on alcohol and ultimately it just was devastating. that's why i don't drink. i don't drink. i don't drink. i don't drink. i don't smoke cigarettes. i don't take drugs. >> donald likes to say that he learned everything that he wasn't supposed to do from the example of his brother, fred jr., but fred was also a pretty genial, good-natured, soft-hearted guy, and i think in that, he sees proof that you're not supposed to be trusting anyone, you're not supposed to be vulnerable, you're not supposed to be soft. always be driven, always be
6:11 pm
competitive, always be a winner. otherwise, you die. coming up, donald trump trying to make it in manhattan. >> this was a person who was highly ambitious, that did have resources behind him, but a lot of that was really good real estate theater. you inherit lots of traits from your family. my ancestor, lady beatrice, introduced the elizabethan ruff. great-grandfather horatio went west during the gold rush. and aunt susan was a a world champion. i inherited their can-do spirit. and their double chin. now, i'm going to do something about it. kybella® is the first of its kind injectable treatment
6:12 pm
that destroys fat under the chin, leaving an improved profile. kybella® is an fda-approved non-surgical treatment for adults with a moderate amount of fullness... or a bit more. don't receive kybella® if you have an infection in the treatment area. kybella® can cause nerve injury in the jaw resulting in an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness, and trouble swallowing. tell your doctor about all medical conditions, including if you: have had or plan to have surgery or cosmetic treatments on your face, neck or chin; have had or have medical conditions in or near your neck or have bleeding problems. tell your doctor about all medicines you take. the most common side effects are swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness in the treatment area. find a doctor at mykybella.com juswho own them,ople every business is different. but every one of those businesses will need legal help as they age and grow. whether it be help starting your business, vendor contracts or employment agreements. legalzoom's network of attorneys can help you every step of the way
6:13 pm
so you can focus on what you do. we'll handle the legal stuff that comes up along the way. legalzoom. legal help is here.
6:14 pm
♪jake reese, "day to feel alive"♪ ♪jake reese, "day to feel alive"♪ ♪jake reese, "day to feel alive"♪
6:15 pm
by the mid '70s, donald trump had a degree from wharton, a job with his father, and a plan to make a name for himself in manhattan. >> donald's father was based in brooklyn. avenue "z." that's where his office was. >> louise sunshine was one of trump's first associates. >> donald would sneak out of brooklyn around midday and come to lexington avenue -- >> sneak out? >> well, leave.
6:16 pm
we would plot out everything we were doing in new york. >> but manhattan was a mess. >> the city in those days was going bankrupt. the city was a sewer. >> architect alan lapidus worked with fred trump and later with donald. >> the commodore which at one point had been the gem of new york, right next to and connected to grand central station. now it was boarded up. homeless people were sleeping over there. newspapers were blowing down the street. >> fred called me and said i have a son at this point who's interested in doing things in manhattan. i'd like you to talk to him. >> george ross was fred trump's lawyer.
6:17 pm
>> donald walked in, he was 27 years old and then he gave me the idea he had about transforming the commodore hotel. my reaction was he was way off base. it was impossible to do. and that he was out of touch with the reality of the situation, what was going on in new york at the time. >> trump wasn't fazed. while the big developers were getting out of the city, donald trump wanted in. >> he went to get the financing, and the banks looked around and they said, wait a minute, we got so many bad loans in the city of new york, and they said, trump, what do you know about running a hotel? you know what he said? nothing. so they said, well, when you know how to run a hotel, or you get somebody that knows how to run a hotel, then we'll talk again. figuring that was the end, they got rid of him. >> instead of good riddance, trump got the hyatt hotel chain on board. promising them he could lock up a lucrative deal. >> says to hyatt, would you be that operator? what are they going to say, no? >> it's presented to them basically on a silver platter, right? >> yeah, except at that point, all he's got is swiss cheese. >> now, trump needed to convince the city to give him an unprecedented tax break, something it hadn't done for a
6:18 pm
private developer, ever. mike balkin was a lawyer for the city of new york. >> i sensed it from the beginning that this was a person who was highly ambitious, that had -- was very smart. that did have resources behind him even though a lot of that was really good real estate theater. >> really good real estate theater. like when the city asked for proof that trump was buying the hotel since he hadn't yet put down a deposit, he sent the paperwork over unsigned. it all worked with political help from his father, trump got the financing, the tax break and the partner he needed and just a
6:19 pm
few years after walking into ross' office, trump completed an ambitious renovation of the hotel. the new grand hyatt helped spark new york's resurgence. >> it moved him to the front rank of developers in new york, clearly. almost overnight, he became a force in his own right. >> trump was on top of the world. >> donald's a star. he's a nova. like him or not like him. >> "new york post" columnist cindy adams says trump has been a generous friend of hers for decades. what was trump like when you first met him? >> oh, he was full of himself as he is now. >> confident and charismatic, trump had an expanding business, a growing reputation, and plenty of attention from women. >> i was running a miss universe parade in new york. the girls were not allowed to meet guys. they had chaperons. well, he met them. he met them at night and i don't know how much later in the morning he unmet them, but he managed to meet them. donald -- there wasn't a blond
6:20 pm
in new york he didn't -- he left unknown. >> so he was a ladies man. >> oh, yeah. then he met ivana and said he's madly in love with ivana, she speaks a little bit lousy but she's gorgeous and i'm going to marry her. >> he told oprah it took him seven months to close the deal. >> ivana is very solid. a very nice woman, a very nice person. she's a friend, a lot of things. frankly, i was dating a lot of people and i was dating the most beautiful people in the world. i got tired of it all of a sudden. i got tired. >> there was a church wedding, a beach honeymoon and three babies in the years to follow. donald jr., ivanka, and eric. but trump's work as a developer left little time to be a dad. >> it was not necessarily a conventional relationship. it wasn't as much of let's go play catch in the backyard, so it was great but on his terms. you know, he was building a
6:21 pm
billion-dollar empire. >> spending time with their father meant meeting him at the office. >> our quality time was much more work related. i remember playing with trucks on the floor of his office. you know, going trick-or-treating in his office. he'd have the biggest people in the world in there and we'd be playing on the floor. >> trump next tackled a project that would put his personal stamp on the city. trump tower. he worked with a small team of mostly women. barbara res was in charge of construction and wrote a book about her experience. >> when he hired me, he told me i was a killer. that was what he saw in me. he liked that in women. he wanted them to zero in and not take any prisoners. >> res says trump gave her a tremendous opportunity but working with him wasn't easy. you wrote that some were afraid to challenge him, that he was that kind of a personality. >> yes. >> why is that? >> well, he was very loud and mean and quick to react. >> mean? >> yes, he was mean. he was mean to his employees. >> how so? >> he would tell them that they
6:22 pm
don't know what they're doing, criticize them in front of other people. >> how did he handle when he was challenged? >> he didn't like being challenged ever. >> ever? >> yeah, ever. >> during construction, there was plenty of controversy about how, where, and by whom trump tower was built. it was then trump learned to use the press to his advantage. >> i used to run into his office like a shrieking maniac saying to him, but donald, this is terrible, look at the press. he'd say, oh, calm down, all publicity is good publicity. and out i'd go. >> in fact, no one was better at promoting trump than trump. using the alias, john barron. >> did you ever meet john barron? >> i heard john baron on the phone, donald was impersonating john baron.
6:23 pm
>> did you find it funny? >> you know, i thought it was creative on his part. he got the word out there and constantly got press. we were getting incessant press. >> do you remember any of the stories he told? >> he planted that princess di was looking for an apartment in trump tower. >> and that didn't happen? >> no, but it made the papers. >> regardless of whether or not it was true. >> he has said people want to believe something is the biggest and greatest and most spectacular. and he said, i call it truthful hyperbole. >> i mean, that was my job. my job was to make his fantasies become a reality. i remember him saying to me, and your mission, louise, is to make sure the world knows that my brand is worth a thousand dollars a square foot more than the building next door. >> everything about trump tower was meant to redefine luxury and prestige. the dramatic atrium. the 80-foot waterfall. and the distinctive marble ivana
6:24 pm
chose personally from an italian quarry. it became a city landmark and tourist attraction. >> i mean, that was a really unique project, cutting edge. >> which sent trump's celebrity sky high. >> he was a young guy. he put up one of the most significant buildings, truly, in the world. trump tower really made my father. coming up, donald trump silencing his critics. >> i was putting a tarnish on the trump brand. you don't do that. >> and then you were fired. >> on the spot. using 60,000 points from my chase ink card i bought all the fruit... veggies... and herbs needed to create a pop-up pick-your-own juice bar in the middle of the city, so now everyone knows... we have some of the freshest juice in town. see what the power of points can do for your business.
6:25 pm
learn more at chase.com/ink ♪ well, the midnight headlight blind you on a rainy night ♪ see what the power of points can do for your business. ♪ steep grade up ahead slow me down makin' no time. ♪ but i gotta keep rollin', for the mornin' ♪ introducing the new turbocharged golf alltrack with 4motion® all-wheel drive. ♪ ooh, i'm driving my life away. ♪ soon to be everywhere. ♪ lookin' for a better way. fight heartburn fast. with tums chewy delights. the mouthwatering soft chew that goes to work in seconds
6:26 pm
to conquer heartburn fast. tum tum tum tum. chewy delights. only from tums.
6:27 pm
6:28 pm
new york city. broadway. celebrity. and gossip. for decades, gossip has been cindy adams' beat. and few people were better for business than donald trump and his wife, ivana. do you remember them as a couple sort of on the manhattan social
6:29 pm
scene? >> yes. they were at events and ivana was gorgeous and she was terrific. she was a very hardworking woman. she was a very smart woman. she knew a lot. she raised great kids. >> tom barrack has been a friend of trump's for decades. >> it was never, you're on my arm and you are a trophy so stay that way. she was in the middle of all his businesses. >> and trump's businesses were booming. over 100 miles from trump tower, new gaming laws had turned a sleepy shore town into the hot spot to be. >> when casino gaming came into atlantic city, it was a monopoly. >> marvin roffman analyzed the gaming business for a prominent financial services firm. >> they had basically the whole eastern market to themselves and everyone was looking for land to build a casino.
6:30 pm
>> trump bought a prime spot on the boardwalk and convinced harrah's to partner with him. together, they made a deal to build trump plaza. harrah's knew to succeed, the casino needed close easy parking. architect alan lapidus says trump was on board with the plan. >> donald said, i bought the property across the street. it's going to be a parking garage, there will be a bridge right across, the way you have it, it's going to go right into the casino. >> but when trump plaza opened, there was no garage. >> as long as harrah's was there, trump refused to build a parking garage. >> earnings were disappointing and tensions rose, and then trump bought harrah's out. >> i think his plans were to use harrah's to secure his financing and once the financing was secure and the hotel was up, it was just a matter of time before he altered that situation.
6:31 pm
>> and one harrah's was out -- >> he built the parking. and the hotel took off as he knew it would. donald does not do well in partnerships. plays well with others is not a big pseudo of trump's. >> but showmanship is so trump placed his bets on boxing. >> in the three years i was there, we did 33 world championship fights. >> jack o'donnell was an executive at trump plaza. >> we became the boxing capital of the world and that was a big deal to donald trump. >> but donald trump wanted even more. and when the new jersey generals went up for sale, he jumped at the chance to take on the nfl. herschel walker, once the best player in college football, played for trump's generals.
6:32 pm
>> the team sort of took a couple of notches up now because they saw a guy. like i say, he brought class, he brought -- a workaholic, he brought something different and he's young. >> during the brief existence of the united states football league, trump challenged the nfl for press and by paying a premium to sign players. >> he went out and got him some more talented players and i think we started winning and we started making a name for ourselves in new york. >> trump embodied the high-flying '80s. by 1989, "forbes" estimated his net worth at $1.7 billion. and for the last half of the decade, he'd gone on a spending spree. he bought a second casino, trump's castle. the iconic plaza hotel in new york. a palm beach estate. an airline. a yacht.
6:33 pm
and the largest tract of undeveloped land in manhattan. trump captured the story of his success in the book "the art of the deal." tony schwartz was the co-author, a decision he now regrets. >> from the very first interview, it was very clear that he had an exceptionally short attention span, easily grew impatient, and was going to be incredibly hard to interview. at all. >> schwartz said he had to find another way. >> sometimes you got to know who to go to as opposed to -- >> so trump let him listen in on his phone calls for months. is there any call that sticks out in your mind or are they all blended? >> there is a call that sticks out in my mind. it was a call with a contractor and he's going, you son of a -- if you don't -- i will and i'm telling you, you'll never work again in this city. boom. he slams the phone down.
6:34 pm
he turns to me totally relaxed with a big smile on his face and he says, you think it worked? >> schwartz says that much of what he heard trump say was false. >> i came up with this phrase, truthful hyperbole. which is -- i called it an innocent form of exaggeration. something i sold for $1 million, i can say i sold it for $10 million, that becomes truthful hyperbole. there is no such thing as truthful hyperbole. the truth is the truth. hyperbole is a lie. they don't go together. >> but that didn't keep the book from spending almost one year as a "new york times" bestseller. still, there was one more thing trump wanted. one of the biggest casinos in the world. >> he was going to do whatever he could to get the taj mahal. >> and after months of complicated negotiations, he did.
6:35 pm
>> and my telephone rang, and he said, marvin, didn't i do a terrific deal? and i said, i think you did a great deal, but i think you made a mistake. you know -- >> you said donald trump you made a mistake? >> i said i think you made a mistake. and he said, what do you mean? i said, why own three casinos in atlantic city? how are you going to differentiate the marketing? and here was his comment. marvin, you have no vision, this is going to be a monster property. >> that needed monster financing. trump said it wouldn't be an issue, telling gaming regulators -- >> that the bankers were waiting in line to lend him the money. and that under no circumstances would he resort to junk bond financing. >> but the banks weren't standing in line to lend trump
6:36 pm
money, so he resorted to the very junk bonds he had said he didn't need. >> how big a risk did you think he was taking? >> enormous risk. to be able to make this project successful, to break even, you'd have to generate a casino win of somewhere over $1 million a day. and no casino in the world had ever even come close to anything like that. >> roffman told the "wall street journal" he saw trouble coming. >> i said, when this property opens, it will break every record in the book, but when the cold winds of october came, it wouldn't make it. >> trump wrote a letter to roffman's boss. threatening to bring suit, trump presenting them with a simple choice.
6:37 pm
fire roffman or make him publicly apologize and lie. >> trump said, marvin, you're to call norman pearlstine, and he said he's the managing editor of the "wall street journal" and you're to tell him that s.o.b. reporter misquoted you, and then you're going to write me a paper stating that the taj mahal is going to be the greatest success ever and i'm going to have it published. >> roffman refused. >> trump responded saying that i'll see you in court or something. i was putting a tarnish on the trump brand. that's anathema to donald trump. you don't do that. >> and then you were fired. >> on the spot. >> trump never sued, but roffman did. nine months later, roffman settled for an undisclosed amount. on opening night, the taj was
6:38 pm
promoted as the eighth wonder of the world. >> the building is a tremendous smash. everybody wants to see it. >> and see donald trump. >> donald. donald. it's trump. donald. people rushed to him to touch him, to touch his shoulder, to touch his arm. >> it was the biggest bet of his career. >> he was the magic man. anything he touched turned to gold. so even with the marvin roffmans of the world projecting that this couldn't work, there were very many people who believed that it would. and donald trump kept assuring everybody, don't worry about it, you got nothing to worry about. coming up, trump nearly loses it all. how close was he to going personally bankrupt? >> very.
6:39 pm
my business was built with passion... but i keep it growing by making every dollar count. that's why i have the spark cash card from capital one. with it, i earn unlimited 2% cash back on all of my purchasing. and that unlimited 2% cash back from spark means thousands of dollars each year going back into my business... which adds fuel to my bottom line. what's in your wallet? ♪ ♪ ♪ only those who dare drive the world forward.
6:40 pm
the cadillac ct6. i'm beowulf boritt and i'm broaa broadway set designer. when i started designing a bronx tale: the musical, i came up... ...with this idea of four towers that were fire escapes... ...essentially. i'll build a little model in photoshop and add these... ...details in with a pen. i could never do that with a mac. i feel like my job is... ...to put out there just enough detail to spur the audiences... ...imagination to fill in all the blanks. this windows pc is amazing, having all of my tools... ...right at my finger tips is incredible. hey! we're doing the wave! all taking off with me!baby. for 42 minutes he's been trying to bring an entire stadium to its feet. you missed it buddy. (rich) why does he do it? for glory? notoriety? we don't know. waaaaave! frankly, we don't need to know. but much like this hero, courtyard is all about the game. taking off with me! one, two, three! waaaaave-- there's my guy! yes.
6:41 pm
snacks? yeah, man, eat it up and we're gonna burn it off doing the wave! - we had to think a little more seriously about saving money for the future and for the kids and for their college funds. we thought, "well this airbnb is actually a great way to pay those extra bills." - every bit of extra money helps these days. we have a retirement fund of our own and i take a draw on it. i don't want to take too much either because i don't know what life is going to bring to me. i get to keep 97% of my rental price.
6:42 pm
the extra income i get from airbnb has been a huge help. - airbnb has helped me so much financially especially starting my own business. san francisco is such an expensive place to live. the way people work and travel is changing. the guests are now able to stay longer, stay five days, enjoy another day in san francisco and spend more money in the neighborhood. my guests are able to extend their stay and spend more money on activities and restaurants. - the extra income that i get from airbnb has been a huge impact in my life.
6:43 pm
♪ ♪ trump taj mahal in atlantic city. one of the biggest in the world. lots of glitz, glamour and stagecraft. but behind the curtain, serious problems. >> when i went there on opening day, it was a mess. >> alan lapidus was the architect for trump plaza. >> you couldn't find your way around without a guide dog, which is not good for a casino. >> and he says the casino control commission had issues, too. >> they shut down a third of the slots. the slots are the prime revenue producer of the casino. to shut down the third on opening day was both humiliating and financially disastrous. >> it was really was a breakdown of monumental proportions. >> jack o'donnell ran trump plaza for three years. he was there when the taj opened. >> donald's answer to the problem was to immediately go in
6:44 pm
and shame, belittle, and berate and demand firings in the midst of the chaos, and that's the last thing that a good leader does in that situation. >> o'donnell was ultimately tapped to restore calm at the taj. just weeks later, o'donnell says he resigned. trump says he was fired. >> donald is so wrapped up in hyperbole that it's almost constant lies. something could go bad like the opening of the taj, and he would say it's because we had so much business here that this happened. not that the system's broke down, not that we didn't know what we were doing. we had so much business, it broke down. >> what about the slot machine thing when they were down for a while? >> the slots were so hot, again, nobody is seeing people play that hard and that fast. >> it blew out the slots literally? they blew apart. >> too much -- fuse? >> they were virtually on fire. it was like a fuse or like a fire. >> no one felt the heat more than trump, himself.
6:45 pm
with his life playing out in the papers, from his businesses, to the breakup of his 12-year marriage to ivana. >> everybody place they went, they were covered. >> attorney jay goldberg was donald trump's divorce lawyer. >> to me, i equated it with world war iii. it was on front page, back page, inside covers, inside stories. >> cindy adams a friend of donald's covered it all for the "new york post." >> they were at the manhattan social scene, they were at events. ivana always had much to say. the problem was, you can't equal donald's fame, and also he never found a blond he couldn't touch. >> enter marla maples. she was a beauty pageant winner fresh from georgia. an aspiring model and actress in
6:46 pm
her early 20s. >> so when did the relationship with marla start? >> well, the relationship with marla started when he was still married happily to ivana. that's when the relationship started. >> when donald was still married to ivana, slipping around with marla, i was what was colloquially known as the beard. i took marla out to dinner and then at some point in the evening see would disappear into the casino limousine. >> marla stayed at trump plaza while ivana worked at trump's castle across town. they would eventually cross paths here on the slopes of aspen. the tabloids exploded and so did the marriage. >> i hate divorce. i hate the concept of divorce. i really thought it was going to be a one-day wonder. with me, it turns out to be 22 days of tabloids and tabloids and covers. >> after a long battle, ivana walked away with a $14 million settlement, a mansion in
6:47 pm
connecticut, and full custody of the children. >> she's the mother of my children. she's a good woman. i'll always love ivana. >> he was very restrained in the comments that he made about ivana. so i believe that there was an element of good feeling. >> trump's personal life was in shambles and professionally, he wasn't faring much better. he said it was because he took his eye off the ball. did trump ever acknowledge to you he knew he was in big trouble? >> oh, yeah. oh, he knew he was in big trouble. i think he borrowed more than most other prudent real estate people. he had extended himself to the trump shuttle, to a yacht, to a helicopter and a lot of things which weren't generating cash flow and he had to support his lifestyle, so he was in trouble. >> anybody else want to bid $190,000? we're going to sell it.
6:48 pm
>> when the economy and the real estate market plummeted in 1990, attorney alan pomerantz says donald trump owed $4 billion to his debtors, including almost a billion dollars for which he was personally responsible. >> because he personally guaranteed so much debt, the leverage shifted dramatically over to the banks because it was no longer an issue of a bank and a piece of real estate. it was a bank and donald trump's actual survival. >> trump owed money all over town. to 72 banks in all. pomeranz represented them as a group. how close was he to going personally bankrupt? >> very. >> did you think you were going to go underwater at one time, bankrupt? >> well, i didn't like thinking about it but there was always that possibility. you owe billions and billions of dollars and have a personal guarantee of $975 million. you can have wonderful assets and all, but the economy was a disaster. real estate was in particular a
6:49 pm
disaster. i certainly was in deep trouble. >> trump makes the point of saying he never went personally bankrupt, but there's a reason why the banks decided to keep trump whole. >> we made the decision that he would be worth more alive to us than dead. dead meaning in bankruptcy. we don't want him to be in bankruptcy. we want him out in the world selling these assets for us. >> so you wanted him alive because he was a salesman and could best sell his own properties. >> that's correct. we kept him alive to help us. >> the debt holders hammered out a five-year plan for trump to repay his personal debts. pomeranz presided as the mogul signed away his fortune. >> it's a big conference room, a big long table. at the head of the table mr. trump is in the middle, i'm sitting on his left, his lawyer is on the right. i'm sitting with a stack of documents. >> that big?
6:50 pm
>> oh, it was big. i said, mr. trump, this is a lien on the plaza hotel and he would sign it. this is a lien on the trump shuttle -- he called one of his people over, sends them out. young man comes back with two big boxes of books. and he says, i would like to thank all the banks here for all your help, and he takes these books out and he starts to sign these books to the bankers. >> so let me get this straight. the art of the deal about -- >> how fabulous he is. >> right. takes out the art of the deal and signs to the people who are negotiating with him to whom he owes. >> $4 billion. >> $4 billion. >> down but not out, trump kept on promoting. >> atlantic city, up or down. >> i think it's going to be down. you have to understand atlantic city ten years ago was an absolutely slum. now you'll have a billion dollar building rising out of a slum.
6:51 pm
it's a very interesting dichoto dichotomy. >> in fact two of his atlantic-city casinos were on the brink of failure. steve persky took over at the casino control commission in 1990. he remembers when trump's father, fred, tried to rescue his son, by buying $3 million in chips. >> fred trump's lawyer was handed that value in chips and took the chips out of the casino. i could call it a $3 million loan. >> the problem was the loan was against the rules and the casino was fined. even worse, it was nowhere near enough enough. in july 1991, under crushing debt, the taj mahal filed for bankruptcy, stiffing investors and forcing small businesses to accept pennies on the dollar for their work. >> when he filed bankruptcy proceedings, hundreds and hundreds of companies -- individuals and companies -- that were punished because they
6:52 pm
chose to do business with donald trump. a lot of suppliers, a lot of manufacturers, a lot of workers, a lot of small businesses, got hurt badly. >> by march, 1992, trump's castle and trump plaza followed suit. >> the reason that trump's casinos failed had nothing to do with the industry in atlantic city, with respect to the recession. all of the other atlantic city properties made it through all of that. trump's properties did not because of the decisions that he made. >> despite repeated requests, donald trump refused to be interviewed for this program. but at a cnn debate last year, he expressed his view on what happened in atlantic city. >> atlantic city is a disaster, and i did great in atlantic city. i knew when to get out. my timing was great and i got a
6:53 pm
lot of credit for it. >> if he did great in atlantic city, a lot of people didn't do great, and that's really the story. there's thousands of people that got hurt as a result of his bankruptcy, and that in and of itself is just a sad tale for his legacy. up next a new kind of deal for the developer. >> he became mcdonalds. he became a franchise. >> then, trump and women. >> there's no way i could be the person i am today if my father was a sexist. coaching means making tough choices.
6:54 pm
jim! you're in! but when you have high blood pressure and need cold medicine that works fast, the choice is simple. coricidin hbp is the only brand that gives powerful cold symptom relief without raising your blood pressure. coricidin hbp. thosthey are.sses? do i look smarter? yeah, a little. you're making money now, are you investing? well, i've been doing some research. let me introduce you to our broker. how much does he charge? i don't know. okay. uh, do you get your fees back if you're not happy? (dad laughs) wow, you're laughing. that's not the way the world works. well, the world's changing. are you asking enough questions about the way your wealth is managed? wealth management, at charles schwab. moms know their kids need love, encouragement and milk. with 8 grams of protein, and 8 other nutrients. 9 out of 10 u.s. olympians grew up drinking milk.
6:55 pm
moms know kids grow strong when they milk life.
6:56 pm
6:57 pm
just the way you like it, right? >> by february 1990, trump was separated from his first wife, ivana, and marla maples was on the scene, but it was a bumpy ride. >> marla, can you give us -- >> no comment. >> on again. >> are you getting married and
6:58 pm
if so, when? >> are you getting married? >> off again. >> are you two married? >> right now we aren't. well, we're just going to sort of try and keep that quiet for a bit. >> we're great friends. >> trump's love life kept the tabloids buzzing. >> i'm still handling p.r. because you get so much of it. >> a spokesman for trump, calling himself john miller, explain today this way to a reporter over the phone. >> somebody that has a lot of options, and frankly, you know you get called by everybody. he gets called by everybody in the book, especially women. >> john miller, linked the mogul to women including kim bassinger and madonna. >> marla wants to be back with him, but he just feels it's too soon. when he makes his decision he's very capable of a total commitment when he makes the decision but he felt it's too soon. ♪ >> that total commitment finally came in december 1993.
6:59 pm
before a thousand guests, marla became ms. trump in a lavish ceremony held at the plaza hotel just two months after donna and would marla's daughter, tiffany ariana was born. trump's three older children stayed in aspen with their mother ivana. >> when your father married marla, you and your brothers -- the three of you decided not to go? >> going to aspen was a tradition and something that we had done our whole lives. >> uuh-huh. >> and it was a memory and we wanted it with her especially at that time. >> it was a wonderful wedding. >> jay goldberg, donald's divorce attorney drafted some uncommon paperwork before the wedding. >> you're familiar with the pren prenup, and the post nuptual. a sunset agreement provides if they're made a certain period of
7:00 pm
time or less, then the woman gets a fixed amount. it's not the normal. >> did he say i don't want a regular prenup, i want a five-year sunset? >> yes, yes. >> trump put it this way to abc. >> it's so bad, somebody gets married you get $1 million. i think that's a lot of money. >> no, you don't. >> no, i don't, actually, but the fact is a million dollars for somebody coming into a marriage, if something -- and i'm not talking about anybody specific, but it's a lot of money for somebody. >> and by 1994, trump was back in the business of doing what he loved most, making a lot of money. >> it's the best year i've ever had. trump is definitely back. much to the chagrin of some people. >> his path back was routed in what he knew best, real estate. he bought a downtown landmark, 40 wall street, for a cool $1