Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  November 2, 2016 11:00pm-12:01am PDT

11:00 pm
day right here on cnn. that does it for us tonight. thank you for watching. "cnn tonight" with don lemon starts right now. >> announcer: this is cnn breaking news. there is breaking news and it's our new polls with good news for hillary clinton and donald trump as clinton is about to speak live in the battleground state of arizona. this is "cnn tonight," i'm don lemon. we're going to keep an eye on that for you. hillary clinton still leading nationally, but with the race tight in crucial states it's a whole new donald trump tonight in florida. >> we've got to be nice and cool, nice and cool. right? stay on point, donald, stay on point. no side tracks, donald, nice and easy, nice and easy. >> president barack obama stomping for hillary clinton in north carolina and pointing the finger at trump's campaign for what he charges is voter suppression.
11:01 pm
>> don't fall for the easy cynicism that my vote doesn't matter. or all politicians are the same. it does matter and they're not all the same. that's what hillary's opponent wants you to think because they don't want you to vote. and i've got to say he has been getting help from republican politicians in the state who have been trying to keep you from voting. >> cnn's dana bash, mark preston and john king are all here, the power team, everyone. we're going to begin with the powerhouse, john king. let's start. a lot of new polls. give us a snapshot if the election were held today, what's the best case scenario for hillary clinton? >> the bottom line is still advantage. but donald trump is back in the hunt. we couldn't say that last week. we'll fill this in on tuesday night. i want to go back to the 2012
11:02 pm
map for historical reference. let's start where hillary clinton is tonight in arizona. a state won by mitt romney four years ago by nine points. donald trump has a five point lead. that's a switch other public polls a week ago had hillary clinton up. don't believe any one poll, but it looks like donald trump has some advantage and momentum in arizona. in neighboring nevada this was a surprise. a blue state for obama twice. a six point lead for donald trump. that is a surprise in this campaign in the sense that hillary clinton has thought all along the latino population would deliver nevada but trump as an advantage as we go to the end. let's finish up with the cnn poll. then i'll show you some others. the sunshine state of florida was the closest between obama and romney, guess what it looks like it's going to go down to the wire. 49 for clinton, 47 for donald trump. mopping likely voters. that's an advantage for clinton but a statistical time florida. one more, and this is a bit of a
11:03 pm
surprise. pennsylvania has not voted republican for president since 1988. right now, hillary clinton, the democrat is ahead but only by four points. if you want to go back and look, you see it was a bigger spread between obama and romney four years ago. a bit of a warning sign to the clinton spain. still ahead but keep that on the watch list. a couple of other quick ones i want to pull it out in here, number one good news for donald trump. quinnipiac university has him up in ohio, a state he has to win. hillary clinton up three in north carolina. that's a very close battleground state, and hillary clinton up six in wisconsin, that's about where we were four years ago, a smaller lead than where she was at, one more i want to bring in, we don't have the graphics for it, but colorado. there's one poll out in colorado tonight showing this a tie, that would be a big surprise. we'll see if other data backs that up. colorado a tie would be a big surprise. eight polls i just went through. let me help you this way. this is where we have the race right now, 272 for clinton, 179 for trump. takes 270 to went. let me tap here and come here.
11:04 pm
donald trump's leading in nevada. if he can keep that, and leading in arizona, donald trump leading in ohio -- if he can keep that, that would get him up to 215. this is hypothetical, but logical to think if donald trump is building support in the west maybe he's building it up enough to get past that never-trump conservative evan mcmullin in utah. we have it as a toss up but for the sake of this conversation, let's give him utah. it gets him to 220, which is why we're going to go to the final days of the campaign talking about florida and north carolina. game over if donald trump can turn those red then we've got a horse race. >> my head is spinning john king. >> it's a lot to digest. >> it is. let's talk about this blue firewall. for hillary clinton. i think pennsylvania is one of them. trump campaigned in wisconsin yesterday, she is maintaining her lead there, correct? >> she is, but she's also pouring a lot of money in tv ads back into wisconsin, back into
11:05 pm
michigan. more money into pennsylvania. why does that blue firewall as we call it, work? let's go to the map assuming donald trump holds ohio, he's ahead in ohio, giving him utah, and nevada. the clinton camp thinks she can get arizona, and for the sake of the argument, trump has the momentum. why does the blue wall matter? let's say donald trump gets florida, that's 249, if he gets north carolina, that's 264, knocking on the door, if he wins any of these blues at 264, the only one that wouldn't get him to the finish line is new hampshire, that would get him to a 268-268 tie. guess what. one congressional district in nebraska and maine, they could decide the race. i'm not saying it's that close, we have no indication it's that close, but that is why hillary clinton -- let my reset the map -- that is why hillary clinton is going to spend time and money here, and here, and
11:06 pm
here, and people think virginia and colorado could be in play. she has to defend the blue. if donald trump can't change the blue, all the momentum in the world won't get him to the finish line. >> we have a lot of frayed nerves. we love you, but my gosh, it's going to be a nail biter. you just heard from john king. walk us through the electoral map. this race is tightening. you have been at the electoral map the last night or so for us. donald trump's path to 270 is still an uphill climb. who has the momentum and the voter enthusiasm right now, because that's going to be key here. >> well, the perception right now is donald trump has it, but again that's the perception we don't necessarily know if those wins are strong enough to carry him through. i mean i think probably one of the most-important things that was said on that map right there in trump's path to 270 is he's got to win florida, north carolina, ohio. he's got to win these big states before he gets into blue territory, but he is seeing some signs of life that again we didn't see a week ago.
11:07 pm
the fact of the matter is if the race is tightening up in colorado you have to wonder is it going to tighten up in north carolina. there's a lot of correlation between the voters in colorado and north carolina in the sense that you have a high educated white voter -- the perspective there in certain an electorate there. could we see some changes in north carolina, we'll have to see. there's certainly a little bit of wind behind donald trump's back but the path is still difficult, don. >> also, hillary clinton releasing new ads targeting latinos, and african-americans and had president barack obama sounding the alarm to black voters. you heard him today and he's going to be out there until election day. are there enough hispanic voters for her to build a new coalition and to make up some of the ground she may be losing with black voters? >> well, we do know that the black voters not turning out as strongly as we have seen back in 2012, 2008. barack obama was first african-american president, but that's why we see him on the
11:08 pm
campaign trail, north carolina today. >> and that's unrealistic to think the black vote will be the same. >> unrealistic, but the fact of the matter is hillary clinton doesn't get to the white house and strong support from african-americans. barack obama in north carolina today. barack obama will be in florida, then back to north carolina, as well, and just to add to that, don, just in the past few hours we see a get-out-the-vote participation rally stevie wonder's going on behalf of hillary clinton, and tomorrow with farrell, the musician. and in order for her to win, and win safely, she needs to keep this pop coalition together. >> all right. now, to the third member of our trifecta here, and that is ms. dana bash. dana, donald trump held three campaign rallies today. let's take a look. >> feeling like it already,
11:09 pm
isn't it? just -- we've got to be nice and cool, nice and cool. right? stay on point, donald, stay on point. no side tracks, donald, nice and easy, nice -- because i've been watching hillary the last few days. she's totally unhinged. we don't want any of that. she has become unhinged. >> dana, you have some new reporting on the new more disciplined, nice and easy donald trump. what are you hearing? >> first of all, let's just take a second to process what we just heard. mr. trump, that was your outside voice, not your inside voice. you're actually at rally speaking to thousands of people. but it really -- i thought that was such a window into where donald trump's head space is right now, which is trying so hard to keep control
11:10 pm
doing it successfully, more so than he has pretty much at any point in his campaign to not veer off message, to not become the story, because when he becomes the story in the general election, it tends to be bad for donald trump. he has a good message, whether it's the new clinton fbi news or before that, maybe even better substance wise, the news that obama premiums have spiked. so the fact of the matter is, he clearly understands that this seems to be working for him. i've been talking to a lot of sources around him trying to figure out why finally he's getting it. a lot of different answers, one is just the calendar. he sees the finish line. he sees that it's almost done. one source said he's a closer and he wants to close big. he does feel the wind at his back. he feels there's momentum he clearly hasn't had for many, many weeks when there was a lot of bad news about his campaign,
11:11 pm
and the fact that he -- he actually is more self aware than you would think. i was hearing that from sources and we just saw that on the stage today, him saying point-blank, that he needs to keep himself cool and calm and read the teleprompter. i should also say tossing back to you, i was told his son-in-law, jared kushner who has been very instrumental behind the scenes, he's been on the plane traveling with donald trump a lot more recently, so it's also the company that he's keeping trying to keep him in check. >> whose day is it to watch donald trump. that's hilarious. okay. we're going to talk about hillary clinton because people have counted her out before and to their dismay so we'll discuss that coming up after the break. john king appreciate you joining this evening. dana and mark please stay with us. when we come back, melania giving her first major speech on the campaign trail tomorrow. will she win her husband any votes? tokyo-style ramen noodles.
11:12 pm
fresh ingredients, step-by-step recipies, delivered to your door for less than $9 a meal. get $30 off your first delivery blueapron.com/cook. real milk has eight times more protein than almond milk. real milk has naturally occurring calcium, but almond milk doesn't. oh, and now real milk's got as many almonds as almond milk. almond milk has only 2% almonds. what's in the other 98%?
11:13 pm
almond milk has only 2% almonds. and now...i'm in bristol, inia. tennessee. on this side of the road is virginia... and on this side it's tennessee. no matter which state in the country you live in, you could save hundreds on car insurance by switching to geico. look, i'm in virginia... i'm in tennessee... virginia... tennessee... and now i'm in virginessee. see how much you could save on car insurance. or am i in tennaginia? hmmm...
11:15 pm
six days until election day and the polls are showing a tight race. hillary clinton getting help in a crucial state from the commander in chief. back with me now, dana bash and mark preston back with me now. president barack obama was campaigning hard for hillary clinton today. take a listen. >> keep in mind, north carolina, all the progress we've made for the last eight years, all the progress we hope to make over the next eight years, all of that goes out the window if we don't win this election.
11:16 pm
and we don't win this election potentially, if we don't win north carolina. so i hate to put a little pressure on you, but the fate of the republic rests on your shoulders. the fate of the world is teetering, and you, north carolina, are going to have to make sure that we push it in the right direction. >> so dana, the fate of the world is teetering on north carolina. i was watching going oh, that's no pressure for north carolinians. he knows his leggy is on the line here. >> not too much hyperbole. you are exactly right. it is about his legacy and he's making it extraordinarily personal. we saw him do it a few weeks back when he was speaking for the first time to the congressional black caucus.
11:17 pm
very blunt. says if you're worried about hillary clinton if you're not really sure if she's the right person for you, we've got questions, don't make it about her, make it about me and he's doing that not just on the stumps he made plainly clear of -- because of the fact that the american vote in the key states like north carolina, florida, too, is down. now, is expected to be down, with barack obama not on the ticket, it was extraordinarily high when the african-american community was voting for at first the first black president and then to reelect him, that's understandable and the hillary clinton people argue that she has a different coalition. that might be but it's still alarmingly down to the point where you have the president going out and having a very, very direct tone and message to people about why they need to go vote. >> dana, before i get back to
11:18 pm
mark, i want to ask you another question. we also heard the president break his silence on the fbi e-mail probe warning against leaks and innuendo. what's your take on that? >> the whole thing is the world is just upside down. it just is. it's highly unusual for the fbi director -- it's unprecedented. he broke guidelines, all the things we've been talking about sore several days, to send the letter that he did just days before the election announcing that he is sort of reopening an investigation into a candidate. it's also highly unusual for the president of the united states to comment on an open fbi investigation as was done now. he tried to kind of walk the line and say you know i don't want to comment on it, but it's not good to have innuendo out there, you know, but he did and it just shows how worried democrats are about that very thing, innuendo, about the fact
11:19 pm
it is so murky, it leaves the door open, which republicans and donald trump leading the band with walked trite through to paint this as hillary clinton is a criminal, which obviously there is no evidence that's what this is all about. >> mark, both campaigns bought last-minute ads for tonight's game seven world series game. they aren't messing around. those ads are expensive. >> you don't want to leave any money on the table, right, because money on the table in the day after the election and i said had we just maybe gone that final push, had we tried to buy those ads, had we try persuade enough voters to come that way, that's why you're seeing it and they have the money, donald trump, you know, his wealth allows him to spend as much
11:20 pm
money as he wants on the campaign and hillary clinton has been a very prestigious fundraiser. very well spent for both tonight because you don't want to end up with money afterwards and say why didn't we use it. >> the clinton campaign is out with tv ads in colorado, and new mexico and virginia and michigan. is this a sign they're worried or is this typical a week before election day? not really. i moon it's closer than that. >> there's no doubt they're worried. let's put it this way, if they're not worried they're not running a very good campaign. we always knew the race was going to tighten. i think that we're all surprised where, et cetera -- where it is toointin itightenin. off guard by what director comey did on friday by reopening the investigation into the e-mail server and seizing the laptop and going in and looking at huma abedin's e-mails. but the bottom line is they have to go into those blue states because they need to create that blue firewall that john was
11:21 pm
talking about last segment. if donald trump is able to start to eat away in those -- he's able to pick up one of those states, that's crucial because what that means is very likely that if donald trump is gaining ground in a democratic state, then he must be doing well in a state such as florida, as well, i mean, which is reason to gather to voters in both states turning towards donald trump so they have to go on the air. >> for the first time since the convention when we saw an interview with melania trump, we're going to see melania give a speech. >> that's right, and not accidentally in the suburbs of philadelphia, the place where campaigns, presidential elections, have historically been won or lost primarily because of the fact that they are swing voters. but even more so because of the suburban women vote. that's clearly the target. she's going to go there. she's going to make the case and try to lure people back potentially who donald trump lost with the "access hollywood" tape and then allegations of
11:22 pm
groping, to have his wife go in and say, i'm with him, you should be with him, too, to people who might have more republican sensibilities. and more importantly, i was actually in the philly suburbs a couple of week ago for registered republicans who just can't stand hillary clinton, to push them over the line to go for donald trump. >> all right. thank you, dana, thank you, mark. appreciate it. see you guys up until election day and after. all right. stay with cnn for all-day coverage on election day next tuesday of course. and straight ahead is there an effort to suppress the black vote in north carolina, even president obama's blacking laws he says that are designed to keep african-americans from casting ballots next. ♪when you've got...♪
11:23 pm
♪...nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!♪ ♪nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!♪ here's pepto bismol! ah. ♪nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!♪
11:24 pm
11:25 pm
we can't go back to the years of devastating cuts to public education. so vote yes on prop 55. prop 55 prevents $4 billion in new education cuts, without raising taxes on anyone, and with strict accountability. budget forecasts show if we don't pass prop 55 big cuts that hurt our kids are coming, and california will suffer budget deficits all over again. so vote yes on 55. because it helps our children thrive.
11:26 pm
this next story is very important. there are serious allegations over voter suppression in north carolina. claims that restrictive voting laws are really designed to keep african-americans from casting their ballots. president barack obama agrees. here to discuss, irving joyner, he's a professor at north carolina central university school of law. thank you so much professor. we hear a lot about voter fraud. is this the real voter fraud? >> voter suppression is the name of the game in north carolina and we've been fighting it. we've spent the entire day today in the middle district federal court dealing with just that -- with just that issue.
11:27 pm
>> you filed the naacp, the north carolina naacp filed a lawsuit against north carolina republicans demanding they put an immediate stop to what you say is a coordinated effort to suppress black voters in that state and as you said you were in court, so take us from there, tell us what happened. tell me about this lawsuit and what happened in court. >> well, what we dealt with were three counties in north carolina, cumberland, and moore county, in which efforts were made to purge african-american voters from the list and we had evidence that postcards were sent to the addresses of roughly 7,000 people in those three counties and as a result of the
11:28 pm
return postcards that were received back by the voter integrity project, they had the county boards of elections to remove those individuals from the voting polls and so we went into court to halt that effort and i think that we are going to succeed. >> so explain -- explain the voter card thing. in north carolina what happens? if you don't return the card -- what -- why is that? how were they purged? >> well, the -- the notion was that if the card was send to the voters' address and it came back, it meant that person didn't live at that address or in that particular precinct and in north carolina, the return letter is prime facia evidence that the person doesn't live at that address and that it can be used to challenge that person's right to vote.
11:29 pm
of course, it doesn't take into consideration about 1,500 different reasons why a piece of mail would be returned, plus the fact that people are allowed to move from place to place as long as they are still in the county, then they are eligible to vote. >> and that was -- >> that is -- there's the factual issue we were dealing with. >> and that involved canceling voter registration for over 4,000 mostly african-american democratic residents. and that was a week before the presidential election. president barack obama, dr. joyner, was in north carolina today and he spoke about voter suppression efforts in the state. he became visibly angry speaking about grace bell hardison, let's listen. >> grace bell hardison, 100 years old. imagine what she has seen in the arc of her life. born in a time where there are barely cars in the road, no planes in the sky. think about everything she's seen. a great grandmother, probably a great, great grandmother. how you -- how are we going to
11:30 pm
let, after all she's been through, folks disrespect her like that? how are we going to betray all those who worked so hard for the vote so we could pull the lever and we're not going to vote? what's our excuse? >> so explain what happened with grace bell hardison. >> well, the -- she was one of the persons that the postcard was sent to. her postcard came back. she had a street address and she had a mail address, and the card went back to the voter integrity project people. they went to the board of elections in beaufort county and presented that as evidence she didn't live there so she was placed on a list to be purged, but by some chance, her nephew,
11:31 pm
greg, was able to find out about this effort and then contact the naacp and contact the board of elections and we then engaged in a hurry up effort to challenge what they were attempting to do by showing that she still lived at that address and as a result they dropped her from the -- from the purged list. >> okay i'm glad you mentioned her nephew, greg. stand by, doctor, because greg is on the phone right now. he's a nephew of the 100 yard voter grace bell hardison. greg thank you so much for joining us. so your aunt received a letter saying her voter registration was being challenged. how did she react and what did you do? >> she was really hurt. at first, all she could say was, i can't vote? i can't vote? greg, i can't vote?
11:32 pm
and at that time, it really hurt me because she was about to cry when she was saying that and what i did is i reassured her we would get it taken care of. some kind of way. at the time i didn't know what you had to do. you about i knew it was wrong because she's' been a registered voter all her life basically and she's been voting every year. so that's when i contacted the naacp and went to the board of elections and they gave us three options, we had to come to a hearing, we had to get a notarized letter form, or get a form signed or she had to have a family member represent her at the hearing. >> greg, do you think this was planned? do you think people were specifically targeted here? >> yes, i do. especially being in belhaven, we've been fighting to reopen a hospital and the people that's behind this all, republicans, and in order to win any election in belhaven you have to have the black vote. if you don't have the black vote, you won't win anything and during the past election, it was really, really close.
11:33 pm
so right now if you eliminate some of the black vote you can probably get in who you want. >> you were able to resolve this. how were you able to resolve this? >> well, we -- the help of the naacp sending a letter and they pretty much went back to the person that challenged her. >> what about others in the community? what happened to them? have they had the same thing happen to them? >> yeah basically we got a few advocates in the area and we got the same list they had. and we went through each and every person's name. and we identified who we knew for sure, actually lived in belhaven, was registered and voted and the ones who don't list here and we took the list to the board of county elections and they worked with us to get most of those names cleared and the ones we didn't get cleared, unfortunately they got purged. >> what was your aunt's reaction?
11:34 pm
>> now she's happy. she understands she can vote. she is asking, are you sure i can vote? are you sure i can vote? and i keep saying yes, you can, yes, you can. >> stand by. i want to bring back in professor irving joyner. so you heard what he had to say. in 2012, gilford county, north carolina, where more than 1/3 of african-americans, 16 early-voting locations. this year, only one site was open for early voting, and it was open two fewer days that first week. could this explain in part why early-voting numbers among black people have been lower? >> yes that's a part of the problem. the first seven days, there were a reduced number of polling sites available. and then you have to remember that we had the floods in the eastern part of north carolina, and that is where a vast majority of african-americans in the state
11:35 pm
reside, so many of them were under water. some of the polling places were shut down as a result of the floods. and that obviously had some impact on the turnout. so we are still trying to beat the bushes to repair that situation and get people to the polls so that they can exercise their right. people are eager to vote and we want to make sure that every opportunity is available for them to do so. >> all right. thank you, doctor. thank you, greg. we appreciate it, and greg, give our best to your aunt, as well. you know we hear so much about voter fraud and about rigged systems. this is one way that the system may be rigged that we don't discuss so much. but it is also very important to do so. we'll be right back.
11:36 pm
11:37 pm
i am totally blind. i lost my sight in afghanistan. if you're totally blind, you may also be struggling with non-24. calling 844-844-2424.
11:38 pm
or visit my24info.com.
11:39 pm
an ugly election, getting even uglier, with allegations of voter suppression. hereby here to discuss now, symone sanders, national press secretary, and supporter of donald trump, stacey host of the radio show stacey on the right, and bakari sellers, clinton supporter. good evening to all of you. thank you so much for joining us. calvin we just heard about the naacp lawsuit in north carolina alleging voter suppression. the suit alleges african-american voters are
11:40 pm
unfairly targeted. what's your response? >> look, i'm appalled by voter suppression or voter fraud anywhere across this country. any time we have, you know, fought through all of the wars just to get the right to vote starting in 1870 to the 1965 voting right act, everyone certainly is entitled to cast their ballot and -- and we ought to come out and vote regardless of you know what legal means or not that's being bestowed against us. so i -- again, as i stated before i'm appalled by the allegations of voter suppression and voter fraud. >> so if republican officials are moving early voting places farther from black people decreasing the number of sites, canceling registrations of black voters, does that sound like rigging of the system to you? isn't that what donald trump has been claiming has been going on? >> well, what i'm saying is that
11:41 pm
people must come out and vote regardless of early voting or not. i mean some states don't have -- pennsylvania, we don't have early voting. we do have absentee ballot. >> that may indeed be the case but that wasn't my question. if they're doing those things isn't that exactly what donald trump claimed, the rigging of the system that's going on? that is part of the rigging, as well. >> it's part of the process, yeah. it's part of the rigging system. >> okay. >> you know, but again we have to prove those things in court. i did hear the earlier panel and it -- i'm saddened by, you know, certain events that happen to the -- to the 100-year-old lady and those things should not exist, but again mistakes are made every day in this process. >> yeah. so, you know, you're down in the carolinas, bakari sellers so talk to me. you're in south carolina. but this one is in north carolina. but go ahead.
11:42 pm
>> this isn't an allegation. this isn't some accident. this isn't some mistake in the process. north carolina legislature under the leadership of pat mccrory who has been an awful governor and who i think will lose next tuesday, i think the court said they were surgical in their precision in the way that they discriminated against african-americans. in gilford county they cut back the early-voting sites from 13 to one. the court had taken a stand and said this was outright discrimination in 2016. i mean look i said it earlier and it bears repeating. in 1960, '61, '62, they had the water hoses and the dogs out. now they just have the vote, for the general assembly and legislature. that cannot be tolerated. it's so unfortunate that we're having a conversation about suppression and we have a black president in 2016. >> so i have to -- i'm going to give this to you, as well, stacey.
11:43 pm
if you're any sort of effort to suppress a vote is that not indeed part of a rigged system? >> i -- i don't see a correlation between donald trump calling out what he sees as a rigged system in the way he was talking about it and what you're discussing. if -- now, the guest that you had on before that's absolutely atrocious and i expect to see justice served there. as far as the rest of it, if those are allegations then we have to wait for investigations to be completed so we know what's going on. i do not believe in suppressing votes. >> they're not allegations. >> the court already ruled. >> okay. >> the court said they were surgical in their precision in the way they discriminated against african-americans. this is a republican legislature led by a republican governor, and if you can say the system is rigged by something false that trump says and we can't say that this is rigged, what are we talking about. >> absolutely not. sorry, bakari. i'm not saying if they've already adjudicated there was something going on, obviously that's what happened, so
11:44 pm
that's -- in the case of what donald trump is talking about, there's no way the project, and the veritas videos -- >> there's no way -- >> let her finish and i promise you'll get the next word. >> those videos are verified and they show officials talking about bussing people all over town to vote multiple times. that's the rigging donald trump is talking about. those are two different things. if you want to refer to that as rigged, what they found, and these wrong behaviors, then absolutely, if that's a characterization you're comfortable with, it's been vetted. -- investigated. wrong has been done. >> there's definitely a way to deny those project veritas videos. o'keefe has been discredited time and time again and the only rigging systemic suppression of votes of young people, black people, latinos, and of older folks and we can't deny its republican legislatures and republican governors doing that work.
11:45 pm
what's going on and what's happened and not just north carolina, but places like georgia, where the lawyers committee for civil rights under the law had to go in and fight back for the -- to open up dmv offices, these things are targeted against black communities. so let's not pretend this isn't happening and let's not pretend this isn't systemic. >> everybody stand by. >> let's not pretend fraud is a thing because it's not. >> i'm a republican war leader in the city of philadelphia and i have personally watched, you know, fraud being committed in precincts. >> my goodness. >> take us out, don, please. take us out. >> we do need to get a break in. the president was on the tom joyner morning show this morning talking about voter suppression. we'll discuss this on the other side of the break. we'll be right back.
11:46 pm
11:47 pm
11:48 pm
11:49 pm
on the campaign trail stomping for hillary clinton. back with me now, symone sanders, calvin tucker, stacy washington and bakari sellers. the president was out pleading his case with african-americans,
11:50 pm
and he was also on the tom joyner morning show. i want you to listen to this. >> the african american vote right now is not as solid as it needs to be. and i know there are a lot of people in barber shops and beauty salons, you know, in the neighborhoods who are saying to themselves, you know, we love barack, we especially love michelle and so you know it was exciting and now we're not excited as much and you know what, i need everybody to understand that everything we've done is dependent on me being able to pass the baton to somebody who believes in the same things i believe in. >> so what's your response to that, stacy? could this also be motivating for republicans, as well? >> well, i mean, i think he's making the case for blacks to turnout at something near the levels that they did for him.
11:51 pm
the issue is, there was a historic nature to the election of the first black president and that's not the same thing that's going on right now. hillary clinton has some issues with the black community and so there's -- it's not a correlation. i think his words will motivate some people to turn out and vote but i don't think it's going to bring turnouts to the levels they were at in 2012. >> calvin, secretary clinton said this -- who is that, bakari? >> i haven't said anything. i'm not the bad child all the time. >> i don't know about that. calvin, someone wanted to say something. i just wondered if you wanted to jump in before i moved on. >> i wanted to say something about this legacy thing. i think the president is suggesting hillary clinton is going to carry out his legacy and i think that's very disingenuous. hillary clinton is going to try to create her own legacy and i don't think he's made a significant legacy among african-americans that somebody would want to carry out any way. so -- >> now i will jump in.
11:52 pm
>> if he's going to make -- yeah, go ahead. >> no, i will jump in. that's patently absurd. when you look at the eight years that preceeded president obama and you look at where we are now, when he took over office, the stock market was at 6,000, today it's at 18,000, 19,000. you look at the way the income gap has grown, how the fact we have middle-aged earnings than in recent history, you date back to 1999 and you talk about the number of african-americans that are insured. the list goes on, and on, and on. >> and unemployment rate. >> the auto industry. >> i work in the underserved community every day. i don't see a significant change in poverty, unemployment, opportunity, entrepreneurship. >> 1% of the african-americans that have succeeded but you're not talking about the 99% of the african-americans that live below the poverty line, that have to make a decision every
11:53 pm
day between, you know, food on the table or medicine. >> y'all have to let these trump-talking points go. 99% of people do not live below the poverty line. >> these are not talking points. >> may i ask you question? i don't mean to be disrespectful. i would imagine we're around the same age, are you in your 50s or so? >> 60. >> i kind of remember leaving office richard nixon in 1972, i remember the helicopter. if you've had these presidents and administrations before barack obama and they doesn't solve all of the issues in the african-american, why would you expect barack obama in eight years to solve all of those issues or have some extraordinary or significant impact when there were 40 some other presidents before him who couldn't do it? >> don you make a very legitimate point but i go back to something that doctor cornel west and tavis smiley talked about. if you go make to two and a
11:54 pm
half, four years ago when there was, you know, the country was in economic crisis, financial crisis, and the president created these job summons around the country and he came to illinois, and not chicago. he came to pennsylvania and he went to a very rural community and didn't come to where the densely populated underserved community is, where jobs are needed, unemployment was significantly high. so even the congressional black caucus, talked about those issues trying to solve the issues in the underserved community. >> what's your point there? >> it was historic we elected the first african-american president and he didn't focus significantly on the growth of the african-american -- >> do you think that's a legitimate argument? calvin? >> yes, i do think it's a legitimate argument, yes. >> people are saying the same
11:55 pm
thing about donald trump, when he gives his speech on african-americans, to mostly white audiences and he doesn't go into underserved communities to give those speeches that have talked to those people, but then you say that is not a relevant or significant argument when it comes to that? >> yes, but my point is, so when donald trump, if he makes his speeches, in seattle, washington, and phoenix, arizona, now he did make his economic speech in detroit, michigan. by my recollection, that's african-american -- >> first of all let's just stop. when he went to detroit, he spoke at a club and it was all to white members or very few african-americans at all. when he went to milwaukee, he went to a suburb, but that doesn't matter. you're talking about barack obama -- >> but he came to philadelphia. >> barack obama has been to these places. he's talked about these issues and to say that barack obama doesn't mean something to the african-american community, or
11:56 pm
that we haven't advanced under his leadership, all you've given us is anecdotal things that don't bear out the facts. >> i'm not saying it doesn't mean anything. it was a significant achievement to have an african-american elected president of the united states of the. >> less african-americans in poverty, less african-americans unemployed -- >> i've got to go. >> -- more insured. what statistics do you have? >> i'm in major trouble right now. >> the last point i want to make don is this, i think it's dangerous to assert because barack obama was the first african-american president, he was just a president of the black people, and that he could only do things for black people. >> no one suggested that. >> pardon me. >> his administration has served all of america and has absolutely helped black people. >> yeah. i know people want to hear this conversation, but i have to deal with commercial breaks and i'm sorry. i'm already a minute into the next hour. appreciate it.
11:57 pm
great conversation we'll be right back. wildlife rescue workers open up a lot of dawn. tough on grease...yet gentle. dawn helps open... something even bigger. go to facebook.com, dawn saves wildlife. my lineage was the vecchios and zuccolis. through ancestry, through dna i found out that i was only 16% italian.
11:58 pm
he was 34% eastern european. so i went onto ancestry, soon learned that one of our ancestors we thought was italian was eastern european. this is my ancestor who i didn't know about. he looks a little bit like me, yes. ancestry has many paths to discovering your story. get started for free at ancestry.com
11:59 pm
12:00 am
>> the cubs win the world series. bryant makes the play. it's over. >> there is joy in mudville tonight. the cubs win their third world series with a small 108 year gap in the middle. >> breaking overnight, a new poll in the race for president shows hillary clinton and donald trump tied in battle ground colorado. >> i'm so happy. >> you see four of us anchoring the show if you're in chicago still awake. >> i'm so excited for chicago. >> i'm john berman. it's

69 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on