Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  February 8, 2017 11:00pm-12:01am PST

11:00 pm
that's all the time we have. thanks for watching. time to hand over to don lemon for "cnn tonight." see you tomorrow. president trump's supreme court nominee breaking with the president. this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. neil gorsuch telling senators he finds trump's attacks on the judiciary demoralizing and depressing. but president not letting up criticism of the judges who will decide his travel ban. and the challenges. >> i listened to a bunch of stuff last night on television that was disgraceful.
11:01 pm
it was disgraceful. >> and the president blasting nordstrom's for dropping his daughter's fashion line. can he really do that? we'll discuss all of that. i want to bring in our white house correspondent jeff zeleny. i guess he can do that. he did it. his own supreme court pick is slamming his comments on the judiciary. what is going on? >> this is coming at end of extraordinary day long series of comments from the president that started out with harsh words this morning had -- when he was speaking to law enforcement officials. continued throughout the day and the president has been going after judges for a long time. been a hallmark of his life when he has been filing lawsuit after lawsuit. but as president, it takes on such a different tone. his nominee for the supreme court, judge neil gorsuch, just eight days ago at white house being nominated he said he's disheartened by this and
11:02 pm
dispirited by the comments, echoing the feelings of federal judges everywhere. and other judges here. so he made those comments in a meeting with the democratic senators as he is making his way through capitol hill. now, there may be strategy played here as well. you can be sure when the confirmation hearings begin, will be asked about the comments. already putting distance between himself and president on those comments. >> and senate confirmed jeff sessions to be the next attorney general of the united states, capping off a bitter fight overs nomination. how did it go down tonight? >> incredibly bitter and sworn in tomorrow at oval office at 10:30 in the morning. on the president's schedule. that's a sign how invested the president is on this. don, this was a bitter hearing. just 24 hours or so ago, senator
11:03 pm
elizabeth warren as we all know was not allowed to continue to speak on this. kept her platform going all day long railing against session's record and against republicans and continued this evening after he was confirmed. she was sending out a flurry of messages. let's look at a couple of them. she said this. if jeff sessions turns a blind eye while donald trump violates the constitution or breaks the law, he'll hear from all of us. and you better believe every senator who voted for his hatred into the justice department will hear from us too. so she was putting republicans there on notice as well. but also, senator sessions was delivering a final speech to the senate side. he thanked everyone, even senators who did not vote for him in his confirmation.
11:04 pm
he said he will do his best. and it gets him off on a rocky start to his session as attorney general. let's bring in cnn's chief legal analysis, jeffrey toobin and laura coates, nia-malika henderson and alan dershowitz. jeffrey the supreme court nominee said the attacks on the judiciary is doe moralizing and disheartening. >> i think judge gorsuch was artful and true to his personality. in that he is a sort of restrained person. he registered discontent, but in a mild way. and politically i think helped himself by separating himself a little from the president and proving or trying to prove that he will be independent. not a rubber stamp?
11:05 pm
>> strategy? >> i think an element but also think it's sincere. a lot of judges are very upset by this kind of criticism. frankly i think president trump is entirely entitled to criticize judges. we have this idea they can't be criticized. i don't think they're exempt from criticism. the problem is, he is using these infantile ideas, juvenile things like calling them so-called judges, ridiculous. >> does it help your case if you have cases in front of them? >> i don't know that it's that, just not persuasive criticism. >> how do you think the president is reacting to judge gorsuch's comments. >> in some ways probably prepped on this. seen this before with nominees come before congress and had to separate themselves from this president on any number of issues like nato, russia and sanctions and torture.
11:06 pm
he's seen that and seems like taken it okay. i imagine as well he's probably been prepped for this by people around him. they obviously knew they were going to get this question, this question about judicial independence from the white house because of all of these issues that have come up around the case. i imagine he'll be okay with this. remember this is probably the one bright spot over the last three weeks for this president. you ask republicans, they think this rollout was flawless and also like this candidate. i think he wants to make this work. i can't imagine even though this president has exhibited he can be thin-skinned when criticized, i think on this he's smart enough to know this is in some ways a strategy and this is what it's going to take to get nominee through the process. >> don't think he's going to go oh, no, i choose the other guy. >> yeah, i don't think so, i mean, that would be weird. i mean, we've seen some odd
11:07 pm
things out of this white house. >> do you think it's strategy, get democrats on board and both know it? >> i do think it's strategy and also how he feels as well. again he was prepped for this. i talked to some folks who were kind of around the prepping for him so he knew this question was going to come up and so he had that answer thing. i think it will do him some good politically with the democrats. because they're saying trump will need 60 votes to get this through. >> still no decision on the ninth circuit on the travel ban but president still bashing the hearings, i heard some things on television last night that -- i'll let him finish. >> i listened to a bunch of stuff last night on television that was disgraceful. i don't ever want to call a court biased so i won't call it biased. and we haven't had a decision yet. but courts seem to be so political and it would be so great for our justice system if they would be able to read a
11:08 pm
statement and do what's right. >> so you heard mr. toobin saying judges are not beyond reproach but is he undermining the judicial statement? >> i think he fails to understand their role. at this time -- the one comment he got right is they had not made a decision yet. remember, the ninth circuit's role is to figure out whether or not to reinstate a ban that is suspended. wants government to tell why we need more vetting measures for this. not going to flip-flop book into chaos. we haven't reached merits of the case. the constitutionality of it. then criticize if you don't believe right and valid. right now criticizing the process which undermines his credibility. >> jeff zeleny reported that
11:09 pm
the lawyers at the white house and the justice department are cringing at his comments. will they have impact on the case? >> i don't think so, judges are usually above that. jeffrey toobin is right. we all criticize judges. we make a living as law professors. i attacked viciously five justices who instituted the stay in bush versus gore in my book, and used strong language. justice scalia was upset at language but remained on cordial terms. what he should have been upset is his lawyer didn't do a good job. his lawyer really didn't present the best case for the government. they could have presented a much stronger case. he started on the wrong foot by getting right to the policy issues which invited the court to start talking about whether the president really had the
11:10 pm
authority or whether the authority could be taken over by other people instead of getting to the standing and other stronger issues that would help justify, i think, the trump approach. so he is legitimately angry, but taking it out on the judges individually, calling them "so-called," calling him a "so-called" judge, is not going to enamor him to the justices. of course judges are political. best proof is what president trump did, appointed gorsuch instead of the person appointed before. that's a political decision to put somebody on the supreme court to reflect his politics closer than merrick garland would have reflected his politics. >> it's all about politics. when you use the tone, i respect my colleague here, but -- and
11:11 pm
you know it's coming when he uses the low tones. >> i called justices hypocritical. said they failed to follow earlier precedents and voted politics in bush versus gore rather than the law. i was pretty darn tough. one other point. and i was actually indicted in italy about ten years ago -- >> where is this going? >> for attacking a judge who had freed terrorists. >> verbally, not physically. >> sitting in cambridge interviewed by the newspaper. i said judge written a magna carta for terrorism, next thing i knew she charged me with criminal defamation, and i presented myself in italy with my hands like this, and i said please, let's have a trial. i want to defend myself. of course they never did. but in many countries you can be
11:12 pm
arrested for criticizing judges. >> that's the story you tell over beer alan, thank you. interesting story. nia, this is the first run-in with the checks and balances system. how difficult will it be for a former real estate mogul, used to calling all the shots having to deal with this. especially with businesses and so on. >> i think it's new for him. think about the trump organization, pretty tiny organization, 22,000 employees or so compared to the federal government. and him as head of the federal government with so much bureaucracy and agencies and relationships of it. he is trying to have with different countries. he has obviously presented himself as someone who can take those skills of businessman and transfer them to the white house. and we'll see. right? it's old -- you look at michael jordan. he thought, obviously good at basketball, didn't work out so well at baseball. i think in some of these early exchanges and engagements he's had in trying to be that tough negotiator, it's not clear the same skills will work to his
11:13 pm
benefit in the white house. >> even in the presentation of that question, we're presenting the president as some sort of naive person. oh, shouldn't he have known? if you're going to run for president of the united states, shouldn't you know you have to answer to the american people? no longer ceo of your own country but work for the american people and have to do things that go with that job? >> but i think the fascinating thing in the 20 days of the trump presidency, he is not changing. he's not going to start -- you know, we spent the entire campaign saying oh, the pivot to the presidential demeanor is coming soon. it's never happened, never going to be happening. >> never happened. >> never going to. >> keep tweeting. keep talking about it next four years. not going to change. >> absolutely. we'll see how it goes. >> many love it. think he's authentic. >> i think that's right. >> democracy will force him to change.
11:14 pm
he has now two different checks he didn't have on himself. >> and doesn't realize in our country, we're only country in the world where the judiciary has as much power theoretically as the presidency. he's not used to that. and he just doesn't understand that judges can actually constrain him from doing what he wants to do. >> you said democracy will force him? interesting. everybody with me, stay with me. up next president trump slams nordstrom's for dropping his daughter's retail line. but tonight the retailer is fighting back. mobility is very important to me. that's why i use e*trade mobile. it's on all my mobile devices, so it suits my mobile lifestyle. and it keeps my investments fully mobile... even when i'm on the move. sign up at etrade.com and get up to six hundred dollars. afoot and light-hearted i take to the open road. healthy, free, the world before me,
11:15 pm
the long brown path before me leading wherever i choose. the east and the west are mine. the north and the south are mine. all seems beautiful to me.
11:16 pm
only at&t offers you all your live channels and dvr on your devices, data-free. it's entertainment. your way.
11:17 pm
11:18 pm
president trump calling out nordstrom for stopping carrying ivanka's line. with me to discuss it, a panel. and timothy o'brien. author of trump nation, the art of being the donald. and richard painter, who was chief white house author under president bush. richard painter, nia-malika henderson, hello all of you. richard, first, president trump slammed nordstrom for discontinuing this line. tweeted my daughter ivanka treated unfairly by nordstrom, she is a great person, always pushing me to do the right thing. terrible, is this an abuse of power from the president?
11:19 pm
>> yes it is. a company should not be subjected to this type of attack by the president of the united states simply because the company refused or decided to stop doing business with the president's daughter. he should be using his position as president for the good of the american people. >> can you stand by, can't hear what you're saying. i need to see what you're saying. so we'll take a break, i'll get my ear piece fixed and then we'll be right back after this. ! tiki barber running a barber shop? yes!!! surprising. yes!!! what's not surprising? how much money david saved by switching to geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more.
11:20 pm
who's next?
11:21 pm
11:22 pm
11:23 pm
all right. and we're back. gang is all here. do we have everybody? can you hear me now? you could hear me, i couldn't hear you. richard i'm going to reask the question. today, the president slammed nordstrom's for discontinuing her fashion line. my daughter ivanka has been treated so unfairly by nordstrom. she is a great person, always pushing me to do the right thing.
11:24 pm
terrible! is this an abuse of power? >> yes, it is. this isn't right. president shouldn't use power of his office to attack a company for declining to do business with a member of president's family. he's there to serve the american people, not use his office for private gain and every situation that arises between nordstrom and this administration, any part of the administration, there is always going to be a question in any controversy of whether nordstrom is persona nongrata in the white house and trump administration because it refused to do business with president trump's daughter or stopped doing business with her. this isn't right. company has right of every company in the united states to be treated fairly by the president and his administration. >> and they are told by the store that it wasn't doing well,
11:25 pm
and they needed to make a profit and do business. beyond that president's tweet retweeted by official potus account. generally reserved for government issues. how do you see this use of twitter in office? is it helping him or hurting him? >> his use of twitter in office basically the same when he wasn't in office. really no distinction i don't think in terms of his twitter account and potus. when he tweets he's tweeting as potus and using the office of the presidency. in this case in a way to criticize a private business. i think in some ways we can see that trump still has great support among republicans, he is at 90% among republicans. so in that way i think twitter doesn't necessarily hurt him with that constituency. it definitely hurts in the sense
11:26 pm
that it makes his people who have to go out and talk about these issues, sean spicer today had to go out and talk about this issue with nordstrom's, people on our air, jason chaffetz, you have to answer to what the president is doing on twitter. it's donald trump's id at most emotional and unguarded. in many ways his followers like that, the people who voted for him like that, i'm not sure it does much good in terms of governing, helping him stay on message. >> and people who follow him, they should know shouldn't be talking about donald trump and his business practices. clear conflict of interest. nordstrom's issued a statement defending their decision to drop iva ivana's line. made this decision based on the performance, over the past year and particularly the last half of 2016 sales declined to the point where it didn't make good business sense for us to continue with the line for now.
11:27 pm
again that's what most businesses do, if it doesn't make good business sense you get rid of the product or tamp it down a little bit. the white house says it was personal. here is sean spicer today. >> i think less about family business and attack on his daughter. for someone to take out their concern on his policies on family member of his is not acceptable. the president has every right as her father to stand up for them. >> daughter is business woman, grown woman with a business. she's not 12 years old. >> this is a business decision. once again, sean spicer is misrepresenting what occurred. nordstrom's made the decision in january, ivanka trump, i believe knew about it. >> but the brand been declining since he ran for president. issues with people not wanting to buy it and not selling as well.
11:28 pm
that's again part of the process. if you run for public office that is something that could happen and they should have thought about it. >> and this white house should be figuring out what messages they want. what they're having to deal with is donald trump, one, family doesn't have clear boundaries around conflicts of interest. he is completely mixing policy-making with deal making. and secondarily they personalize everything and have sean spicer propagandizing today. >> shouldn't be talking about her businesses at all. >> well, supposedly she moved away from these businesses. they said she had parted from both the trump organization and her private brands. and when i said her business was not doing that well -- >> there was a poll long before the election that showed that less than one in four women
11:29 pm
would purchase a ivanka trump product at that point, and well before a lot of the events unfolded since taken place. what we have to look at here, ivanka's business decisions to align herself with a man who questioned the nationality of our kin -- country's first black president. and instituted a muslim ban. i've seen a huge spike in interest and activity around the boycott since that happened. business decisions and brand level decisions and these are the repercussions. >> i have to tell people you started this hashtag, #grabyourwallet. it's boycott of trump businesses with many tweets. do you see this as win for your cause? from nordstrum's and others? >> absolutely. i think nordstrom was number one on the boycott list because of how beloved the brand was and how much consumers wanted to return to shopping nordstrom.
11:30 pm
we had a vote to prioritize most boycotable brands and nordstrom number one because sincere desire to do business with them and since made this announcement that they're phasing out ivanka trump, i've seen a huge flood of people excited about shopping before. >> there's also the lawsuit over a report in a british paper, suit says the report hurt her chance to establish multimillion dollar business relationships during the years she would be quote one of the most photographed women in the world. what is your reaction to the first lady's case here? >> she has every right to try to make money on her own but not as being first lady. and the complaint filed in new york state court specifically said that she was going to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity during a multiyear term, we all know what that means, to make a lot of money.
11:31 pm
that means making money off being first lady. that is not right. and now they have retracted that and said that is not true. so the lawyers have filed a complaint with the judge in new york saying that this complaint needs to be revised. this is the type of controversy we don't need. not a democrat or republican thing. i'm a free market republican but i don't think department stores should be bullied into selling merchandise for the president's daughter by the white house and i don't think the white house should be used -- position of first lady used to market merchandise. there's a free market. that's wonderful. and there's also a government. and the government should be staying out of the business world and stop trying to steer money towards the trump business deals or family or anybody else. >> and only about 20 years. thanks panel. appreciate it. sorry about the technical
11:32 pm
difficulty. coming up is donald trump's white house the home of the whopper? we'll talk about the falsehoods pushed by the president next. this is the food system.
11:33 pm
11:34 pm
but what if it didn't have to be? at blue apron, we're building a better food system. where we value quality and flavor over quantity and shelf-life. where chefs and farmers work together to make farms healthier, grow higher quality ingredients, and deliver them in-season, ripe and ready to cook. because food is better when you start from scratch. blue apron.
11:35 pm
11:36 pm
today the president said that terrorism is a far bigger threat than any of us can understand. but given his track record of alternative facts can we trust he's telling us the truth about that? let's discuss it with the congressional reporter for the new york times. and together, they're the author of "a meatloaf in every oven." i found one on my chair today. >> meatloaf or book? >> the book was there. can't wait to read it. thank you for joining us. president donald trump says a lot of things that just aren't true. watch this. >> you've seen what happened in paris and nice. all over europe it's happening. it's gotten to a point where it's not even being reported and in many cases the very dishonest press doesn't want to report it.
11:37 pm
murder rate is highest it's been in 47 years. field looked like 1 1/2 million people. they showed a field of practically nobody standing there. said donald trump did not draw well. it was almost raining, rain should have scared them away but god looked down, not going to let it rain on your speech. >> that's just since election day. for anyone looking for him to pivot, it never came. how long can he keep saying things like that? >> forever. because he enjoys it. when you listen in sequence like that, you realize he's such a narcissist, has to convince himself of his greatness. all the circumstances have to be scaled to the sense of his own greatness. every crowd the biggest. terrorism way worse than you think and he has to protect you
11:38 pm
from it. all about creating circumstances to enlarge him. >> so i guess a lot of people liked that enough to make him president of the united states. what does that say about america? >> i think people voted for a lot of reasons. some look at this and laugh. but put everything under the umbrella of disruption, i'm different and going to disrupt, bought yourself freedom from lot of stuff. you're saying i mean to be a different kind of cat. sometimes that cat is more attractive than other times. he gets away with a lot of this because it falls under that rubric. >> but many times listen to the administration, cat will be standing there saying i'm an alternative dog. >> that's the amazing thing. many of these alternative facts can be resolved with a quick google. thing i find most disturbing and interesting are the small things like rain. we were there and know whether there was rain or not on inauguration day.
11:39 pm
it was on camera, we saw it, happened five minutes ago, and suddenly there was rain and then not rain. small little things that environment policy based but there for the human eye to see. that's the part i find most strange. >> for people there at inauguration and saw the crowds and there for others, there was big difference. there was article you didn't write but fact checking the president's lies in slate today. and it says this, jennifer. said repeating a falsehood even as part of a meticulously researched article that debunks it actually reinforces the falsehood, the human brain seems to experience fact-checking as a statement followed by charlie brown teacher noises like wawawawa. do you think that's true? >> people are absorbing the truth they want, truth that reinforces what they thought was the truth. in terms of fact checks, not sure people are seeing them
11:40 pm
-- right, people are in these silos where they're getting their information and they're not necessarily even seeing those fact checks. >> what do we do? give up fact-checking the president and administration? >> i don't think so, don't give up civic responsibilities, our duties and what's inalienable. >> fact checks are great but they're being read by the people who doubted the facts in the first place. and we are all in such different delivery systems. donald trump convinced people who love him best, naysayer is working in a rigged system. tweeted something extraordinary other day. he tweets so many bizarre things that certain individual tweets that would be news for a month for someone else are lost in the mess and the white noise of it all. but he tweeted any negative polls about the immigration ban, don't believe them. his version of the truth, if
11:41 pm
it's not flattering to me, you it's untrue. >> could be the reality he lives in? >> glimpse into his own mind yeah. >> speaking to law enforcement officers earlier today. >> a tremendous threat, far greater than people in our country understand. believe me. i've learned a lot in the last two weeks and terrorism is a far greater threat than the people of our country understand. >> so we probably should be listening to him about this but the question is, does he undermine his own credibility with all the other mistruths? >> this is the same man in the campaign said he knew more than the generals before getting briefings, this is the same man skipping briefings during his transition period.
11:42 pm
now, all of a sudden because he has been well briefed he knows things he can't share with us, and so much more. his narrative changes all the time. you remember these things right? >> i do. but foundationally nefarious to say we don't know about terrorism to suggest that there's no reporting on it. media is hiding it from you. all sorts of acts that you don't know about until i learn about in security briefings. >> i've been hallucinating for several years because every time i turn on the television, i see lots of terrorism reporting. >> that's one thing the media does cover. >> talking about this stuff but let's get to other stuff that is at least as important. and i have a new book, "a meatloaf in every oven," you call definitive guide to american classic. why meatloaf and why now? it's pretty darned american. >> has the foundations in the
11:43 pm
postwar cooking, important time in american cooking because it taught americans how to use what they have on hand and then went away, the joke, meatloaf. and it's rebounding in our view, we're dressing up meatloaf, different kinds of meat, things that aren't meat, poultry and fish to put new culinary spin on it. fundamentally american. >> and everybody has a personal favorite. and so the book almost became a journey of people going to get their meatloafs, and people getting them. including the halls of congress. nancy pelosi, paul ryan, susan collins, chuck schumer. it's a bipartisan project. >> i went from tortilla chips to tuna but no trump meatloaf. what happened is this.
11:44 pm
>> first of all finished before it was clear he would be president. turns out he had a meatloaf in some of his restaurants and has a favorite. it's like the man himself, blunt and un-nuanced. but these days would have to be mainly baloney right? and i think because he's got such a special feeling for all of you at cnn, might be flavored with sauted don lemon heart and -- jim acosta liver. >> that's like "silence of the lambs". >> i don't want it. thanks for sharing. "saturday night live," late night comedians taking on trump. is comedy the real winner of the election? kamau bell joins me next.
11:45 pm
only at&t offers you all your live channels and dvr on your devices, data-free. it's entertainment. your way.
11:46 pm
11:47 pm
as after a dvt blood clot,ital i sure had a lot to think about. what about the people i care about? ...including this little girl. and what if this happened again? i was given warfarin in the hospital, but wondered, was this the best treatment for me? so i asked my doctor. and he recommended eliquis. eliquis treats dvt and pe blood clots and reduces the risk of them happening again. yes, eliquis treats dvt and pe blood clots. eliquis also had significantly less major bleeding than the standard treatment. both made me turn around my thinking. don't stop eliquis unless your doctor tells you to. eliquis can cause serious and in rare cases fatal bleeding. don't take eliquis if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. if you had a spinal injection while on eliquis call your doctor right away if you have tingling, numbness, or muscle weakness. while taking eliquis, you may bruise more easily ...and it may take longer than usual for bleeding to stop. seek immediate medical care for sudden signs of bleeding, like unusual bruising. eliquis may increase your bleeding risk
11:48 pm
if you take certain medicines. tell your doctor about all planned medical or dental procedures. eliquis treats dvt and pe blood clots. plus had less major bleeding. both made eliquis the right treatment for me. ask your doctor if switching to eliquis is right for you. throughout the 2016 election "saturday night live" has had a field day with the president and the person running for president before he became president. the comedy show is now taking on the rest of trump's team. and discussing this with kamau
11:49 pm
bell, host of cnn's "united shades of america." >> season two. >> i thought i got rid of you? >> couple of emmy nominations. i'm back baby. >> drama on the senate floor playing out with elizabeth warren. couldn't speak out. she was reading a letter from coretta scott king. what do you think? >> i thought it was amazing that mitch mcconnell could insult two women in one spot. just as all the women packed up from the march. gave all the desire to come back. all the old school blacks are making a comeback. frederick douglass. all the old school blacks are making a comeback. >> stephen colbert. >> who knows what is enough. -- kolber --
11:50 pm
>> who knows what's enough? having a green card used to be enough. and yet what we saw with the executive order on immigration, that debacle, things are not what they were supposed to be. we held up translators, afghan and iraqi translators who have bled for a country they've never visited, sacrificed family members for this country. this president has done either of these things, so it's a little hard to swallow him telling people whether they should be a benefit to america or not. >> i think he's still on a green card. but what do you think of those words as a comedian? >> when rich white guys are worried about immigration, it's a problem. you know, these aren't guys who -- i think he's on a green card, but he's pretty safe. and even these guys are worried about immigration. as a comedian, you feel that lenny bruce, getting arrested for what you say thing might be coming back.
11:51 pm
>> you went all the way back. >> the history of comedy is coming tomorrow night. he died for our sins. >> colbert, he's no trouble now expressing how he feels about the trump administration, and for the first time, his late nigh show has been ahead of jimmy fallon's tonight show with this election. what do you think that this, you know, white house, or this election has done to comedy? >> well, you know, i have a lot of friends. i live in the bay area. a lot of my friends wished they had lived through the '60s. i'm like, here's your chance. the '60s are back. we get to find out who is serious about this. people think it's about the best of times to be a comedian. but it's actually the worst of times, because everybody's funny now. everybody's mom is funnier because of trump. everybody on twitter is funny. i'm just retweeting people. but the jokes are coming so fast, there's so much material. >> you think it's easy? >> it's easy for everybody. >> it's hard for professionals? i was sitting there with i
11:52 pm
friend, watching "snl" and he said, that's what you do, you talk about the president, the administration. it just writes itself. >> lewis black said comedians who aren't political get to be political, they just go on stage and read trump tweets. >> speaking of "snl," watch this. >> okay, donald. that's enough fun for tonight, can i have my desk back. >> yes, of course, mr. president, i'll go sit at my desk. [ laughter and applause ] >> i'm not here to be your buddy! i'm here to swallow gum and i'm here to take names! >> melissa mccarthy is a national hero. next year her birthday should be
11:53 pm
a holiday. >> amazing. people will say, oh, my gosh, is this coastal elites making fun of trump people or trump? >> yeah. >> but bill clinton was my favorite. darryl hammond, when he would go -- right? they make fun of everybody, gerald ford, carter. >> some people are easier targets than others. >> why can't he just laugh at it? >> because she'he's so thin-ski. you wouldn't cover everything in gold if you didn't have low self-essteam. we know we can hurt the president's feelings. [ laughter ] that made me feel bad. >> it makes me feel good. for the next four to eight years to infinity unless he wants to be emperor. >> you're featured with other legendary comedians. how does it feel to be a part of this group?
11:54 pm
because i watch it, it brings me back to my childhood. >> i was happy to be in it, because i'm the only comedian that cnn employs full time on purpose. and also it really puts comedy in his proper place as one of america's greatest art forms. stand-up comedy started here. i ppithink when you watch it, y think it's going to be funny, but you see how much comedy has predicted the future. >> do you think comedy's on a comeback, like stand-up comedy? >> it's as healthy as it's been since the '80s. >> sometimes i'll take trips and i find myself listening to on whatever app that i have, stand-up comedians because everything has been so serious, and so toxic, that i need to laugh. >> i've been doing a lot of college shows, i'll be at rutgers tomorrow, plug. students are coming out now, because they need to figure out, how do you process what's going on in the world?
11:55 pm
so you go to escape or to clean it up and explain it to you. >> w. how's berkeley these days? >> it's good. it's on fire. it's hot. >> you've got rich white kids. what's happening? >> we send those because they won't get arrested. too soon? too soon? [ laughter ] >> oh, my god, i love you. you didn't say you love me back. did you see that? anyway, don't miss the premiere of -- where are you playing by the way? >> rutgers tomorrow night. >> don't miss the premiere of the history of comedy right here on cnn at 10:00 eastern including some of the funniest bits of all time, including george karlin's routine about the seven words you can't say on television. >> you remember the actual seven words? [ bleep ]. [ bleep ]. [ bleep ]. [ bleep ] [ bleep ] [ bleep ]. did i miss one? >> you know what the problem is?
11:56 pm
i don't everyone think the words are dirty. hard to remember what the [ bleep ] they are. [ bleep ] [ bleep ]. >> missing one. >> [ bleep ]. >> oh, [ bleep ]. of course. ♪ ♪ >> are you serious? [ bleep ] [ bleep ] [ bleep ]. >> penis, vagina [ bleep >> [ bleep ] [ bleep ] [ bleep ]. >> [ bleep ] [ bleep ] [ bleep ] [ bleep ] [ bleep ]. >> oh, my god. >> the history of comedy, new series starts tomorrow at 10:00, only on cnn. what if we could stop the next
11:57 pm
epidemic before it happens? what if technology gave us the power to turn this enemy into an ally? mosquitoes are the ultimate field biologists, taking blood samples from every animal they bite. microsoft and its partners are using smart traps to capture mosquitoes and study the dna they collect. using the microsoft cloud, we can analyze over 100 million pieces of dna in every sample, so we can identify where diseases come from and how they spread. with the cloud, what used to take 30 days now takes 12 hours, and every second counts. if we can detect new viruses before they spread, we may someday prevent outbreaks before they begin.
11:58 pm
we must be passionate. we must be bold. and never stop striving in our desire to make an impact. where do you spend the most time sitting? your couch? your car? what about your office? all that time spent in a chair has made sitting the new smoking. because your body was built for more than sitting. it was built to move. and varidesk was built to help get you moving. varidesk arrives fully assembled. instantly converts your current desk into a height adjustable standing desk. effortlessly raises and lowers. and transforms your workspace into a healthier more productive environment. varidesk work elevated.
11:59 pm
12:00 am
supreme court nominee neil gorsuch saying an attack on one judge is an attack on all of them. this is "cnn tonight," i'm don lemon. gorsuch breaking with president trump, calling the president's attacks on members of the judiciary demoralizing and disheartening. and she's not backing down. why silencing elizabeth warren on the senate floor backfires on republican leaders. a lot to get to. i want to begin with jeffrey toobin, laura coats, national security analyst, julia

75 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on