Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom Live  CNN  March 1, 2017 11:00pm-12:01am PST

11:00 pm
. hello and welcome to our viewers in the united statesaged around the world. i'm aisha sesay. >> i'm john voss live in los angeles. it's just now gone 11:00 on a wednesday night. >> in washington a growing number of democrats are calling for u.s. attorney general jeff sessions to resign. >> the judgment department says last year while an advisor to presidential candidate donald trump's campaign and lied. >> joining us here in l.a.,
11:01 pm
republican consultant robin swanson. >> thank you for being with us. all of this is focused around al franken's question during the hearing confirmation to jeff sessions about contact he had the way he went to work for the russian government listen to this. >> and if there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the trump campaign communicated with the russian government in the course of this campaign, what will you do? >> senator franken, i'm not aware of any of those tiftsz. i have been called at a surrogate at a time or two and i did not have communications with the russians. >> so john, how is it that jeff sessions can remember meeting with 25 ambassadors, can list them all but fails to recall a meeting not just with the
11:02 pm
russian ambassador but with a man who is described by u.s. intelligence as a top spy and a top spy recruiter for the russian government? >> senator sessions was a top-level senator. i'm sure he's met with hundreds of diplomats all over the world. if it did slip his mind and i hope it didn't, if it did, there needs to be an investigation to find out what was said at the meeting and what happened. this does seem bizarre. >> let's be clear on what attorney general session ss saying. let's put his statement on the screen. he's denying any wrongdoing. saying i never met with any russian officials to discuss issues of the campaign. i have no idea what this allegation is about. it is facilities. rob ip, categoric rejection of the allegation. is that going to hold water? >> i think what you're seeing here is drip, drip, drip. we know that is the worst way to
11:03 pm
handle crisis communications. they better get their act together before tomorrow mortgage. you've seen them talk about whether the conversation was over the phone when, in fact, the conversation was in the office. i would think that a high-level meeting like this would be something that senator sessions would remember and he was the only member of the armed svs committee to meet with this particular ambassador. >> let me ask you this quickly. if he met under the guise or in his capacity as a senator as opposed to being a member of the trump campaign, would that make a difference to you or is there still an issue here? >> absolutely there's an issue. he was serving as a member of trump's campaign. but he was a member of the armed services committee and i would think if it was an important meeting he would remember why he had that meeting because he was the only member of the armed services committee to do so. i think that's a relevant point that people are missing right now. why was it that he chose to have that meeting. i think there's a lot of
11:04 pm
questions to be answered about the nature of that meeting and why he had that meeting and perhaps his recollection will come back to him once he narchds the gravity of it. le. >> what happens a russian spy doing the rnc? why was the spry there? >> you're asking me to speculate. i couldn't answer the question. >> so i'll give you something easier, then. >> ok. >> as a republican consultant. >> yes. >> someone who vies campaigns and knows what to do in a complicated situation like this, what should the trump administration be doing and what will they be doing? >> i would tell them have a.g. sessions recuse himself of this case. you've got to be completely transparent. pull memos, any communications you can. put together the pieces and make it public. and quickly. >> they've got to do that, though -- are they going to do that, given their record?
11:05 pm
probably not. >> you see senators graham, rubio, mccain have been vocal on the issue of russia and the u.s. i suspect other republicans will force the issue if the trump administration doesn't. >> you see rank and file republicans taking a stand here and facing -- >> i mean not accusing him of wrongdoing but trying to figure identity if there's smoke there. >> further to attorney general sessions' statement, washington post is reporting that senator patrick leahy had a written question to the attorney general. this is what it said. several of the president-elect nominees senior advisors have russian ties. have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the russian government about the 2016 election either before or after election days and sessions' reply to that was "no." again, if this turns out to be true, robert, are we looking at a situation that he's committed perjury and we know that attorney general segs takes
11:06 pm
perjury very seriously? >> i think john's given good advice about recusal. i think that's the least of his wore esies. if he tonight do that i think there will be perjury issues. who is lying, who is not telling the truth and why and what are they trying to cover up? as you know, the coverup is always the worst. >> the white house then put out a statement a little while ago as we talk ashlt responding to this. they say this is the latest of attacks against the trump administration by partisan democrats. general sessions met in an official capacity as a member of the armed services k3450e9. it's no surprise senatorial franken is pushing this story immediately following president trump's successful address to the nation. >> is that the statement you'd have asked them to put out? >> they do make a point. trump not just gave a good
11:07 pm
speech last night. it was a transcended speech that lay out his agenda that he didn't see polls 70% of americans like the tone and what he said. if democrats want to distract from this and their point about senator sessions meeting with a lot of people in an official capacity, that's fair as well. >> democrats didn't do that. republicans did. they did it to themselves. >> that wasn't even the question senator franken asked, actually. attorney general sessions created this problem for himself. >> so, john, last year during the campaign where former president blaeblt met on the tarmac with attorney general lynch and the republicans ex pit roaded. donald trump was leading the charge on that in many ways. how is this situation different? >> well, the trump
11:08 pm
administration isn't under investigation by the fbi -- >> yes, it is. it's being investigated by the fbi. >> but not necessarily for criminal wrongdoing. hillary clinton was in deep having -- it would be the equivalent of having annee vanga or melania trump speaking to the ambassadors. a family member of the president. >> robert? >> this has only just begun. the investigation hasn't started yet and we've got potentially somebody purgering himself. i think we'll see a lot more to this story and this is just the very beginning. >> how do democrats play this? i mean, let's share some of the tweets we've had coming out. nancy pelosi tweeted this. attorney general sessions is not fit to serve and must resign. this is what elizabeth warren tweeted. we need attorney general geoff segs who should have never been
11:09 pm
confirmed in in the first place to resign. wee need it now. linea cummings, top democrat on the house oversight committee spoke to don lemon a while ago. listen to what he had to say. >> people have to ask the question, where is the integrity? where is the rule of law? where is the obedience of law. all these executions over and over again. when these kinds of issues came before our committee in the oversight and government reform committee, if hillary clinton, if they thought she lied, they were refusing it to the justice department. >> top democrats coming out in full force basicallily ranging from he must recuse himself to he must resign. is this just ploliticking? >> i think that's part of it but i think the attorney general of the united states of america is
11:10 pm
in a position where he must conduct himself in the most honorable way possible. we're not seeing that. we have to trust the attorney general and if he's not following the laws, how can we trust him? >> the democrats can say whatever they want. they don't have a lot of opgs to make anything happen here, do they? >> democrats have power in congress and they have toe get -- republicans have to get elected just like democrats do. >> john. >> this seems like crying wolf. those tweets you just read could have been read during the confirmation process. he's a racist sks he loves the k kk. now he's got to go because he loves russia. >> do they dismiss it? >> well, no. but the problem is it's the wrongs messenger. they've got to find a serious more credible messenger.
11:11 pm
when you cry wolf so often if somebody serious and real does occur it just becomes partisan blaber. >> i could be wrong but every scandal, i think except for the one -- or controversy except for the one involving kellyanne conway and the ethics violation trying to sell products for ivanka trump, but thaent hasn't everything seemed to lead back to russia? this keeps growingaged getting worse. >> that's something that the democrats locked on to immediately. it's the only reason they lost the election because clearly russia and the votes, it was the logical progression. they're looking for smoke. i get it. eventually they've got to face the music that they lost on the issues, not because of russia. >> this was created by donald trump and the bromance with vladimir putin. hi think putin executes journalists, that putin bombs
11:12 pm
civilians. i think that bromance is where it all began. democrats didn't create this. >> we'll talk about the growing pressure from republicans on the attorney general and also the cause for a special prosecutor. we'll be back in just a moment. >> stay with us.
11:13 pm
11:14 pm
11:15 pm
11:16 pm
. welcome back, everybody. breaking news this hour. u.s. justice department says attorney general jeff segs, a top advisor to presidential candidate donald trump spoke twice with the u.s. russia ambassador during the campaign but did not mention it during his senate confirmation hearings. >> more in cnn's justice department evan perez. >> reporter: in addition to the september meeting there was also one on the sidelines of the russian -- of the republican national convention in cleveland. there was an event held by the heritage foundation, and apparently, according to the justice department, there were about 50 or so ambassadors who were there and one of the people that was on the sidelines of it and who met with the now
11:17 pm
attorney general jeff segs was the russian ambassador. the context of all of this and obviously the washington post, my friends greg miller and others did a great job on the story. the context here is that the russian ambassador is considered by u.s. intelligence to be essentially their top spy in washington, not only their top spy but their top spy recruiter. this is the reason why when mike flynn was in routine and seemingly routine contact with him and then lied about it and misled the vice president about meeting with the russian ambassador that's one reason why the fbi and the intelligence agencies were concerned. they felt like if you're going to meet with the guy and not recall or mislead when you are asked about it, then that raises
11:18 pm
some questions. again, this is considered to be the top spy recruiter for russia in washington and that's one reason why that is concerning. >> back with us, john thomas and robert johnson. >> and matthew chance. >> before the break we touched on the issue of the implications in terms of perjury. this is a tweet from richard painter, the former things lawyer to president george w. bush. this is what he said on twitter. misleading the senate about one's own contacts with the russians is a good way to go to jail. john, that is from a republican. and just, you now, in the past sessions back in 1999 made it very clear that the anybody who committed perjury should be removed from office. if we get to that point would that same standard apply to the
11:19 pm
attorney general? >> i imagine it would. >> yeah. >> there's really no getting around it. put that tweet in context. the big rifts between the bush clan, the trump clan, so probably enjoyed tweeting that out but it is a fair point nonetheless. >> robert? >> jeff sessions was out front criticizing clinton back in this day and wanted to yi78 peach him for similarly misleading so far. so i think the hickock ra si is there. >> he lied underoath. >> he's under oath talking to the senate as well. i think this is same-same. >> does this overtake the white house for the next 24 hours? >> absolutely. absolutely. i think they have not been able to control the news cycle. they really wanted to be able to do the -- have a ticker tape parade for the great speech but that's not going to happen. i would say more than 24 hours, but the russiagate as it's being called is going to extend for many months, if not the entirety
11:20 pm
of his presidency. >> ok. >> because that's what he has outlined. >> lindsay graham was asked about the situation with jeff sessions in a cnn town hall. he was asked if he believes there's a need for a special prosecutor which others have resisted. listen to senator graham. >> if there is something there and it goes up the chain of investigation, it is clear to necessity that jeff sessions, who is my dear friend, cannot make this decision about trump. so there may be nothing there but if there's something there that the fbi believes is criminal in nature, then for sure you need a special prosecutor. if that day ever comes, i'll be the first one to say it needs to be somebody other than jeff. >> last night, 24 hours ago i think it was, i asked you specifically -- the night before last it was, how long can the administration resist the push for a special prosecutor. you sid they can resist it for a
11:21 pm
long time another now that the republicans like graham and others, does it get harder? >> much harder. republicans have to tread lightly here. their integrity in this process has to be beyond re3r0e67. senator graham made the right call. we have to make sure that the process is transparent. the american people have to trust that no matter what congress or the investigators find is the truth. >> who leads the charge now for the democrats in the days head? >> well, i think they're all jumping on board. i think nancy pelosi was one of the first out of the box calling on jeff sessions to resign. i think we'll see more of that. i think this is one of those rare occasions where i can say i completely agree with lindsay graham. >> this on wednesday during the president's -- during the
11:22 pm
president's address to congress didn't messages russia at all. john mccain said that was disappointing. >> i would have liked to have heard a lot more about russia. russia is the country that tried to change the elections in the united states. ful i don't think they success seeded. right now they're affecting or trying to effect the elections in march. they've dismembered ukraine, they've invade it georgia. the list goes on and on. vladimir putin is hell-bent on the destruction of the european uni union, so that, i would have preached hearing the president's views on these pressing national security issues. >> ok. let's go to matthew chance in moscow at this hour. matthew, another scandal. there's an investigation into allegations russia meddled into the wleks. this story keeps getting bigger.
11:23 pm
>> reporter: yeah. the russia issue won't go away from the trump administration, will it? there's already been a couple 350e678 had toe leave from the administration, his campaign because of links with russia. now the questions over the attorney general as well. from a russian point of view, it's concerning as they watch this political drama unfold in washington. because they're concerned an what impact this is going to have on u.s. policy when it comes to russia. they're expecting, of course, president trump who's going to be sympathetic to the russian point of view on all range of subjects. of course, the russia issue has become so toxic in american politics, that has changed frbl administration officials, being a lot more critical than many in the kremlin expected from the incoming trump administration. specifically on the latest
11:24 pm
allegations there's been no reaction as such to the specifics of the conversations, tlg alleged conversations between the lugs ambassador and the u.s. attorney general jeff segs, but there has been pushback on the idea that the russian ambassador is the top russian spy in the united states. do you think this is the media bottom posts the spokesperson for the russian foreign ministry or do they have further to fall. push back on the suggestion that the ambassador is a spy. >> ok. matthew. >> john, let me ask you. do you expect president bush to weigh in on this personally in the hours ahead? >> i should choke my twitter in a couple of hours. i think he will. >> it will start accusing fake news, but i do think the white house is going to take this seriously. if they don't it could escalate and get out of hand. >> he does gef the excuse of
11:25 pm
fake news. is that getting old? >> people are jumping to conclusions before they know all the facts and that's the fake part. >> good point. stay with us. there is another -- >> don't get in the way. >> you guys stick around. >> can't wait. >> you love it. >> all right. president trump's claims, we'll see if they add up here later. ♪ (music pla♪ throughout) announcer: get on your feet for the nastiest bull in the state of texas. ♪ ♪ (crowd cheers) ♪
11:26 pm
11:27 pm
11:28 pm
. welcome back tower viewers in the united states and around the world. i'm john voss. >> and i'm aisha sesay.
11:29 pm
attorney general jeff sessions said he never discussed the campaign with russian officials. he's under fire. >> during husband confirmation hearing he said he had no contact with russian officials while he was working as a trump campaign advisor. a number of democrats say sessions was not truthful and should resign. >> the white house says democrats are using the sessions story to blount president trump's momentum off his well received address to congress. >> the president has been noticeably quiet on twitter since making the speech, saying thank you, but it was in all caps. >> the president outlooinld a lofty agenda from health care can to immigration reform. the president met with republican leaders wednesday. >> we're just here to start the process. it begins as of now and we think we're going to have tremendous success. >> back with us republican
11:30 pm
consultant john thomas and democrat strategist robin swanson. want to talk to you quickly, the overwhelming question we have today sd how he's going to get this through congress, how is he going to get democrats on his side to make this happen. john? >> you look at his domestic agenda. republicans are excited about repealing baker. the faster the 2ru6r7 administration pushes that through with some version of a replacement, i think that will be accepted quickly. look at slashing. think the budget lines as relates to military spending. the argument trump will make is not only by his tax plan will reduce the deficit and more taxes but also kind of peace through strength argument. >> you say that republicans will
11:31 pm
rally around the baker replacement, because we're seeing in these town halls, heated scenes and a lot of consternation amongst constituents. >> and it makes sense. the trump administration has not done a good job spraining what they're going to replace it with. i think as soon as they recognize the replacement plan is infinitely stronger and more ain orderble for all americans, i think that will alleviate their concerns. >> republicans are not sipping from the same hem nal. some republicans want to repeal. donald trump has said repeal and relays. baker is polling 10 points higher than donald trump is. they have not won the messaging on that because they haven't provided any details about what they'll do. >> the speech to congress was more in tone than it was substance.
11:32 pm
some sources are surprised at how pundits are warming to the speech. no big shift in policy coming. rob, it seems everybody has been daized and confused. donald trump was calm. he used his indoor voice and followed a teleprompter. >> he's gotten a whole lot of ak oh late to giving one decent speech. i think his inaugural speech was offensive to a lot of people. i think people are learning that it's not just -- it's not america first. it's been trump first. so we've seen dr. jekyll and mr. hyde. we don't know who's going to show up. this happened to be somebody different who showed up this time. >>st h is he the master of low expectations? >> republicans rejoiced last night because the campaign promises that we saw him make on the trail, he reiteratesed them
11:33 pm
again but in an adult tone. we were pleased to see that he meant what he said. >> the term was widely playsed but the facts came in to criticism. tom foreman has the fact check for us. listen to this. t. >> the president's speech was filled with numbers but did they add up to truth? take jobless n. >> we most honestly acknowledge the circumstances we inherited. 94 million americans are out of the labor force. >> the figure is right but the vast majority of the people don't want work according to government data. 44 million are retired. 15 million disabled. nearly 15 million taking care of a family member and 16 million in college or job training. maybe because they couldn't find work but all those big adjustments bringing the number way down. how about crime? >> the murder rate in 2015 speerned its largetsest single year increase in nearly half a
11:34 pm
century. >> that's only because the murder rate the year before was really low. the overall rate is still way down compared to past decades. immigration? >> according to the national academy of sciences our current immigration system costs american taxpayers many billions of dollars a year. >> yes, that report says integrating first generation immigrants is costly, but their kids contribute so much to the economy, the long-term impact is likely positive for taxpayers. what about all those companies pouring money into the economy now that he is in office? >> they will invest billions and billions of dollars in the united states. and will create tens of thousands of new american jobs. >> mr. trump has encouraged big companies with their new jechlts but many already had those plans under way before being elected. still, president bush isn't the
11:35 pm
fir -- are president trump isn't the first to push aside an inconvenient truth. >> jobs are on the rise. >> rand barack obama bragged just last year about creating -- >> 14 million new jobs. >> also overlooking job losses under his watch, which diminished those gains. >> thanks for that report. one of the highlights from the address to congress was when drumpl honored the memory of ryan owens, the s.e.a.l. who was killed in a bungled raid in yemen. there was a long ovation for karng karen. a lot of people -- carryn owens. listen to michael moore. [ applause ] >> this poor woman, this window who is lost her husband in desperate grief right now -- >> in love with her husband. >> in love with her husband. >> what do you think of that?
11:36 pm
>> putting another notch on his belt. what's he worried about? my ratings. i'm going to get an emmy for this. most applause nor a dead soldier on my watch. this is the sickness of this man. >> robert, did the president ex will employed a grieving window? >> that was for her to decide. that was the most poignant moment in the speech. it wasn't because of donald trump but it was because of her feelings and emotions. i'm not standing in judgment of that. i think we all related to that because it was harlt breaking. >> with donald trump in the white house many people are getting ideas about what they can and cannot do when it comes to being commander in chief. among them, perhaps a president oprah winfrey. take a listen. >> sure. >> never considered the question a possibility. i just thought, oh, oh. >> right. it's clear you don't need
11:37 pm
government experience to be elected, right? >> that's what i thought. i thought oh, gee, i don't have the experience. i don't know enough. now i'm thinking oh. oh. >> ok. >> what did you think? >> there's no doubt we're going to see copycats cross the islai. if you're o -- >> you get a government hand out, you get a government handout. >> here's the thing. she's infinitely likable, i'll give you that. but i'd love to see the stackup of she and donald trump. >> arnold schwarzenegger was elected governor of california. jesse ventura, donald trump got where he is. we've got across the board examples of where that works. >> john thomas, you've been a good sport. >> you really have.
11:38 pm
>> i'll be here all night. >> this was a tough night to be a republican. thanks so much. >> thank you. >> when we return, wall street could not be happier about president trump's speech to congressional. congress.
11:39 pm
11:40 pm
11:41 pm
. dwight d. eisenhower initiated the last truly great infrastructure program, the building of the interstate highway system. the time has come for a new program of national rebuilding. [ applause ] >> all that talk of infrastructure expenditure and the stock market loved it. it sent wall street into a record-breaking tizzy. >> dizzy. >> tizzy! >> happy days. >> the nasdaq and s&p has big
11:42 pm
gained as well. richard quest gives us his reaction. >> the market opened straight into record territory and never looked back. a gain of over 303 points. over to 21,115. 1.5% rise in a day at a time when everybody's been expecting the market was going to take a breather having had so many gains and so many records in a row. donald trump's speech to congress gave people hope. trillion dollars in infrastructure spending, tax reform which eventually will arrive and greater deregulation which the president did do without congressional approval. put it all together. from what i've known in the markets, most traders seem to
11:43 pm
believe the rally has legs and still has got further to go. of course, if the expectations don't derive, well, then it's a different matter. for the time being i would describe this market as quietly confident in the direction of travel. richard quest, cnn, new york. >> well, for more of the red hot market we're joined by the global business executive, ryan pately. thanks for coming in. >> yeah. >> the attorney is up beat. donald trump did a good speech. no one is hearing the other side of the trump policies. nobody is hearing about the trade wall the china and mexico, the billions of dollars it could cost america if they run up the immigrants. why aren't they hearing that? >> from a biz perspective. i would want to hear what he is doing. he has expectings going on set
11:44 pm
21,000 on the-ddow, if there's delay i think it will cause a ripple effect. it isn't talking about the sfwer national market because it hasn't focused on what we're doing here. >> let's look at the asian markets. i want to get your take on it as you see, two green, two red. kind of as you see the nikkei there. .09 up there. hong kong hang seng is down. how do you read these numbers in relation to donald trump and that speech? >> i read it as what he said. he was talking about harley-davidson about an example of importing and how he was going to make trade be more fair to importing things in the u.s. there was no meat behind what he
11:45 pm
actually said. what does that signal to the other countries? there's a ripple effect of 23 you're going to increase our tariff here what are they going to do back in the country? >> i take the point. last year, candidate donald trump had a different take. listen to this. >> now, look. we had the worst revival of an economy since the great depression, and believe me, we're in a bubble right now. the only thing that looks good is the stock market. if you raise interest rates even a little bit,that's going to come crashing down. >> ok. so this looks a lot like a bubbling. what will it take for it to burst and then how far will it fall? >> you know, right now you always want to stick to fundamentals when you're analyzing these companies. expectations are exceedingly
11:46 pm
above these fundamentals. at the end of the day i 24i that's going to happen is for president trump to delay a week or a month, this can't keep going on. he has to share a plan hand has too get in action. the companies that are not the top -- you know, one third of them were apple. boeing, goldman sax led pretty much to a third of those points. industries in between will be effective if the banks don't get reregulated and that will give off a trickle down effect in the other markets. >> what would you say too people who are starting to think about getting in the market? >> are free vice is great. >> go ahead. >> warren buff eliminate said be greedy when others are not. he's still investigate but he's still investing in certain
11:47 pm
areas. >> you heard it here from ryan. any problems, go find him. >> thanks for coming in. >> time for a quick break. uber makes another stumble. why ceo 59 mitts he needs to grow up. that's next.
11:48 pm
11:49 pm
11:50 pm
11:51 pm
something which is not new. uber is once again facing a pr disaster. co travis, already a controversial figure, was caught on dash cam video, arguing with one of his drivers. that footage was published by bloomberg. >> i lost $97,000 because of you. i bankrupt because of you. yes, yes, you keep changing every day. you keep changing every day. >> what have i changed about black? what have i changed? >> you changed the whole business. >> what, what? >> you dropped the prices on black. yes, you did. how much is the mile now? 2.75? >> you know what, some people don't like to take responsibility for their actions. they blame everything in their life on someone else.
11:52 pm
>> e-mail for town car. >> good luck. >> good luck to you too. >> he apologized in an e-mail to his employees. to say that i'm ashamed is an extreme understatement. i must fundamentally change as a leader and grow up. >> laurie, thank you for coming in. uber is already on thin ice upon there -- there's been a number of controversies lately. how do you see this e-mail in terms of damage control? >> i think right now, we have to be transparent. the thing is, he keeps being transparent. he's continuing issuing apologies, and he has to, but after a while, it's going to go on tin ears. everyone will be wondering, is he cable of being a leader. we were discussing before that, silicon valley ceo founders are not always the best people to stay at the company at a certain point. and will some leadership guidance really be enough to take uber to the next level?
11:53 pm
>> it seems that the company for a while, considering the fact they faced so many controversies, has been able to withstand them. until now, we've got to the point where cheap fares aren't enough for the consumer. >> yeah, you have to be a good leader. you have to treat your people well. the recent blog post by susan fowler, with the sexual allegations, the fact that he hired another executive who also had sexual allegations and watching him treat someone badly. a leader has to be above board. and he's disrupting an entire category, and that's exciting, but at a certain point, you want him to be a grown-up. >> you mentioned susan fowler, who was a software engineer at uber, she did an extensive blog that went viral. part of it read how she had this encounter with a male employee at the company and she wrote, he
11:54 pm
was trying to stay out of trouble at work, but he couldn't help it, because he was looking for women to have sex with. it was clear he was trying to get me to have sex with him. it was clearly out of line that i took screen shots of these chat messages and reported him to hr. she goes on to write that hr did nothing about it, there were other complaints about the same person. we've seen the problems on the customer side. this is on the employee side. when someone like this happens, how difficult does it get to recruit good employees, because that's the key to success? >> it's very difficult. why would you want to go somewhere that you're not going to be treated well, especially if you're a woman. so you have to get in a good people officer, someone who is really going to make sure that people are being managed correctly. right now, there's so many job opportunities for great talent, that in order to be competitive in today's environment, especially in tech, you've got to provide a great working
11:55 pm
environment, not only the food and the fun laundry services that google has, but you've got to treat people well, they have to feel safe, that they can grow, ask that they're being heard. >> we've talked about the consumer side and the employee side. let's talk about the investor saturday. how are investors going to be feeling at a time like this? how intact is that support at a time like this? >> they're worth about $70 billion right now. they're positioning for ipo. i think he's nervous, investors are nervous, when you have an unstable leader, that's cause for certain. i think he'll be under pressure to get support, some other leadership, maybe some board members that can help guide him. >> very quickly, this is the latest scandal. the allegation of not paying taxes in britain, stealing self-drive technology, there was a pr disaster at jfk airport when taxis were on strike.
11:56 pm
how much more bad news can a company like this continue to absorb? >> the thing is, they have disrupted an entire category, changed people's lives for better. so, and people are kind of in love with the service. so, i don't know that you're going to see uber go away. but there may need to be -- >> lift is benefitting from this? >> lift is benefitting from this, and i have colleagues that won't go on uber, because they know lift gives more money to the driver. >> thank you for being here. >> you're watching cnn newsroom. live from los angeles, i'm isha sesay. >> i'm john vause. rosemary church and cyril vanier pick up our coverage right after this. ♪ announcer: get on your feet for the nastiest bull in the state of texas. ♪ ♪ (crowd cheers)
11:57 pm
♪ why is my son having trouble i[beep]ol? finding lowest airfare to istanbul. no. i'm tired of fighting with my son over his homework. [beep] home wok restaurant. need a review? no! he's smart but his mind wanders. [beep] seven wonders of the world. why don't you understand me? [beep] i do. i was trying to show how connor feels every day. redirecting to understood.org narrator: join parents and experts at understood.org. a free online resource about learning and attention issues to help your child thrive.
11:58 pm
11:59 pm
12:00 am
this is cnn breaking news. >> hello and welcome to our viewers in the united states and all around the world. i'm rosemary church. >> and i'm cyril vanier. jeff sessions finds himself at the latest controversy over campaign contacts with russia. >> they say he met twice with russia's ambassador last year. but that's not what he told searpts during his confirmation hearing. >> and if there

91 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on