Skip to main content

tv   CNN Special Report  CNN  July 15, 2017 6:00pm-7:00pm PDT

6:00 pm
oops! coming up next here on cnn, the oj simpson case was the most infamous case from the 1990s. the o.j. trial, drama of the century. i'll be back tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. eastern. thanks for being here. good night. the following is a cnn special report. >> the shocking crime. >> ron and nicole were butchered. >> the riveting car chase. >> 911. >> i've got o.j. in the car. >> now o.j. simpson on trial for murder. >> stop domestic violence! >> this was a perfect crime. >> it seems like you feel like you were misunderstood for a
6:01 pm
really long time. >> the moments and mistakes. >> it was like a slow motion disaster movie for the prosecution. >> more than 20 years later. >> it makes no sense. it doesn't fit. if it doesn't fit, you must have quit. >> the o.j. trial, drama of the century. >> it's minutes after midnight. june 13th, 1994. los angeles police arrive to a crime scene at bundy drive. they find no witnesses, no murder weapon, just two victims. >> slashed, stabbed, everything else. nicole was nearly decapitated. it was a very bloody scene. >> nicole is nicole brown
6:02 pm
simpson, lying dead beside here 25-year-old ron goldman. the prime suspect, nicole's ex-husband, football legend o.j. simpson. simpson promises to surrender and then disappears. >> the los angeles police department right now is actively searching for mr. simpson. >> simpson is soon spotted inside a white suv. >> yeah, i think i just saw o.j. simpson on the five freeway. he's heading north. >> you've got everybody scared. >> the famous low-speed chase covered live for hours rivets the nation and ends with simpson's eventual surrender at his home on --
6:03 pm
>> this was the perfect soap opera. the o.j. simpson murder case was the first true reality show for the country. >> okay. let's go. here we go. >> this was the first wall-to-wall televised trial. >> july 22nd, 1994, a month after the murders, the legal proceedings against o.j. simpson begins when he enters this defiant plea. >> absolutely 100% not guilty. >> simpson assembles a legal dream team. >> each one of them was famous. >> jeffrey tubin covered the trial for the new yorker. >> there has never been more prominent defense lawyers on a single trial than in the o.j.
6:04 pm
simpson case. >> there is harvard law professor, alan dershowitz. famed criminal attorney f. lee bailey. >> the person you go to when you are really in a lot of trouble and can afford it. >> and, of course, johnny cochran who would take the lead. >> flamboyant, outgoing, approachable, fun and extremely charismatic while also having considerable mastery of the details in the case. >> and known for defending celebrities like child actor todd bridges, jim brown and superstar michael jackson. but would the all star strategy work? >> the o.j. dream team was not a dream team. it was a nightmare team. most of the lawyers didn't get
6:05 pm
along with each other. there was a lot of competition for the limelight. >> but despite all that competition, simpson's team comes up with this. they allege that l.a. pd detective mark furmin was a racist who planted evidence. >> this is not just any city where an allegation of a racist cop was being made. this is a lapd. >> the racist allegation simmering under the surface come to a boil days before the trial begins when the defense wants permission to ask furman if he's ever used the n-word. >> and i'll use the word because i'm quoting him. all the n, put them together in a big group and burn them. >> but the prosecutor wants no part of it. >> it is the filthiest, nastiest word in the english language.
6:06 pm
it will upset the black jurors. it will give them a test and the test will be whose side are you on, the side of the white prosecutors and the white policeman or the black defendant and his very prominent and capable black lawyer. >> cochran immediately fires back. >> not every african-american feels that way. it is the meaning to our juries to say that african-americans cannot hear these offensive words. >> the battle lines are drawn. and race will help define the trial's outcome. it's january 24th, 1995. the trial of o.j. simpson has begun. >> there was a forest of satellite trucks, satellite dishes, people working in trailers all built so that this trial could go out to the world.
6:07 pm
>> walking into the courtroom every day was like the red carpet on an arrivals line or at the oscars. how are you feeling today, o.j.? marsha, how are you doing? how are your kids? what are you wearing? it was ridiculous. it was crazy. >> outside the courthouse, it is a circus. inside, a real-life drama unfolding with millions of people watching. >> the simpson case combined everything that obsesses the american public. it had violence, sex, race, sports and the only eye witness was a dog. >> the prosecution's opening statement tells a story of love, lust and loss of control. >> he killed her because he couldn't have her. >> that trail of blood from
6:08 pm
bundy through his own ford bronco and into his house in rockingham is devastating proof of his built. >> what those records show. >> johnny cochran's opening statement tells jurors a different story. >> the evidence will show that this careless slip shot negligence collection handling and processing of samples by poorly trained personnel from lapd has contaminated, compromised and corrupted the evidence in this case. >> coming up, behind the scenes. >> this is the first time i have ever really seen a heisman trophy. >> and in court with a juror. >> did you ever believe kato's testimony at all?
6:09 pm
"how to win at business." step one: point decisively with the arm of your glasses. abracadabra. the stage is yours. step two: choose la quinta. the only hotel where you can redeem loyalty points for a free night-instantly
6:10 pm
and win at business. [woman] we did it. [man] we're campers. look at us. look at us. it's so nice to get out of the city. it's so... quiet. is it, too quiet? it's awful. yeah. feel at home, pretty much wherever you are. t-mobile is america's best unlimited network. pressure. i feel it every day. but at night, it's the last thing on my mind. for 10 years, my tempur-pedic has adapted to my weight and shape, so i sleep deeply and wake up ready to perform. ( ♪ ) nothing performs like a tempur-pedic. and our july 4th event is the perfect time to buy one. save up to $500 on select tempur-pedic mattress sets.
6:11 pm
find your exclusive retailer at tempurpedic.com. on select when heartburn hitsdic mattress sets. fight back fast with new tums chewy bites. fast relief in every bite. crunchy outside. chewy inside. tum tum tum tum new tums chewy bites. only tylenol® rapid release gels have laser drilled holes. they release medicine fast, for fast pain relief. tylenol® what are all these different topped & loaded meals? it's an american favorite on top of an american favorite, alice. it's like abe lincoln on top of george washington. yonder. get your favorites on top of your favorites. only at applebee's. ♪ get your favorites on top of your favorites. it's happening, it's happening!
6:12 pm
in the modern world, you can control just about anything with an app. your son is turning on all the lights again! and with the esurance mobile app, you can do the same thing with your car insurance. like access your id card, file a claim, or manage your policy. it's so easy it's almost scary. let's get outta here! that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. an allstate company. click or call. this is how we knew o.j. simpson, football star, celebrity pitch man. >> nobody does it better than hertz. >> and movie star. but prosecutors say that dashing public persona sides a much darker truth that simpson is a violent man who beat his wife.
6:13 pm
>> please be seated. >> and it didn't take long before a police detective testifies about an incident in 1989. >> a woman came running out of the bushes to my left, across the driveway. she was a female kwhite brown hair. she was wearing a bra only and had on dark, lightweight sweat pants and started yelling, he's going to kill me. he's going to kill me. >> and jurors hear it for themselves, another chilling 911 call from simpson's wife in 1993. >> my husband just broke into my house and he's ranting and raving. >> less than a year before her murder. >> wait a minute. what's your name? >> nicole simpson. >> is he the sportscaster or whatever? >> yeah. >> is he threatening you? >> going nuts. >> and i was like, wow, he could be pretty bad. >> now more than 20 years later,
6:14 pm
juror number four, david aldonna, remembers that moment vividly. >> so that 911 tape made an impact. >> yeah, it did because when you hear somebody pounding on the door like that and saying i think you know his record by now. >> nick kol's sister denise tells prosecutors she has seen simpson beatnik coal in person. >> he's grabbed nicole, told her to get out of his house, wanted us all of his house. picked her up, threw her against the wall. picked her up and threw her out of the house. >> however defense attorney robert shapiro counters with a completely different image of o.j. simpson. here he is with the brown family just hours before nicole's murder. >> we play the june 12th videotape where you saw o.j.
6:15 pm
simpson at 6:00, 6:30 in the evening of june 12th. you saw he was kissing the brown family. he picked his son up. he didn't look like a man that was bitter and raging. >> so is simpson a warm family man or a violent attacker who cornered and killed two innocent people? the jurors and simpson take a field trip to his house and the crime scene. >> it was very, very good for the jury i think to be able to see the relationship of each of those locations to each other as well as to get a much clearer idea of how very, very small the space was in which ron goldman was attacked and murdered by the department. and, so, i think this really assisted the jury in being able to understand the evidence better, the testimony better and how the victims were essentially cornered. >> what do you remember the most about visiting o.j.'s house, actually going to the crime scene? >> i was like, oh, wow, that's the first time i've ever seen a
6:16 pm
heisman trophy. we couldn't ask questions. knock was told to us. don't talk amongst yourselves and don't touch anything. >> and it's this home visit that leads to the very heart of the prosecution's case, the physical evidence against o.j. simpson. >> can you please describe the appearance of the glove, sir? >> it appeared dark, leather glove. it appeared to be somewhat moist or sticky. i didn't touch it, but it appeared that parts were sticking to other parts of the glove. >> defense lawyers are eager to point out detective mark furman's role in discovering the evidence. >> and, now, mark furman came up to you and told you he made some discovery; is that correct? >> yes. so that we're clear, it was mark furman who allegedly found this glove out there near kato's room, outside? >> yes.
6:17 pm
>> and it was mark furman who allegedly found this spot on the outside of the bronco; is that correct? >> that's correct. >> mark furman would play a starring role in this unfolding drama, as would this man. >> i heard a thumping noise. >> how many thumps did you hear? >> three. >> did you ever expect what was going to happen when you got up there and took the stand? >> no. not at all. that was my first time in a courtroom in my entire life. and i think i was 35 at the time. >> his four days on the stand thrust him into the national spotlight. >> i even come up with a thing saying never has a man done so little to be recognized by so many. >> he says o.j.'s maid never really liked him. well, sure, she had to work for her room and board. >> why was he so memorable?
6:18 pm
>> he's an idiot. he's so full of shit. oh, i'm sorry. >> that's pretty harsh. >> as a matter of fact, when we were doing our deliberations, he was like a no-brainer. that guy is an idiot. nothing he says we can't go with or against it. >> i was called a celebrity. i was called a traitor. i was called a dummy. i was called a free loader. >> feels like you were misunderstood for a long time. >> 100% misunderstood. this was something i took so serious that i was making sure that i answered everything correctly. so i was in deep thought going, okay, answer this right, kato, and that was it. if you pause people go, he's making something up. he's lying. furthest thing from the truth. it's for me to make sure i answer this thing 100% honest. >> which brings us to the night of the murder. kalin and simpson make a mcdonalds run. >> about what time was it when
6:19 pm
you got home? >> it's about 9:40. >> kalin goes to his bedroom and prosecutors say simpson disappeared. a crucial hour passes before kalin hears a loud noise outside. >> and where did that noise seem to be coming from? >> from the back of the wall. >> that prosecutors say, is simpson hitting an exterior wall and dropping a bloody glove. at 10:55, a limo driver waiting to take simpson to the airport spots a black person, six feet tall, 200 pounds. >> i saw a figure come into the entrance way of the house. >> alan park said he had been buzzing the intercom since 10:40 and received no response, proving, prosecutors say, simpson had not been home. >> this time there was an ans r
6:20 pm
answer, which was mr. simpson. he told me that he overslept and he just got out of the shower and he'd be down in a minute. >> both mark and kalin notice a dark duffel bag near the rear of simpson's bentley . >> kato offered to get the bag and he said, no, no, that's okay. i'll get it. >> so what was in the bag? and what did simpson do with it? detective tom lange has a theory. >> you want to know what happened to the knife and the clothes? we know that from a witness out at the airport, i believe. saw him getting out of the limousine when he left that american airlines on the night of the murders and had his arm buried in the trash container. >> next, with so much evidence, what went wrong? >> chris dardin blew it. she's nationally recognized
6:21 pm
for her compassion and care. he spent decades fighting to give families a second chance. but to help others, they first had to protect themselves. i have afib. even for a nurse, it's complicated... and it puts me at higher risk of stroke. that would be devastating. i had to learn all i could to help protect myself. once i got the facts, my doctor and i chose xarelto®. xarelto®... to help keep me protected. once-daily xarelto®, a latest-generation blood thinner... ...significantly lowers the risk of stroke in people with afib not caused by a heart valve problem. it has similar effectiveness to warfarin. xarelto® works differently. warfarin interferes with at least 6 blood-clotting factors. xarelto® is selective, targeting just one critical factor interacting with less of your body's natural blood-clotting function. for afib patients well-managed on warfarin, there is limited information on how xarelto® compares
6:22 pm
in reducing the risk of stroke. don't stop taking xarelto® without talking to your doctor, as this may increase risk of stroke. while taking, you may bruise more easily, or take longer for bleeding to stop. it may increase your risk of bleeding if you take certain medicines. xarelto® can cause serious, and in rare cases, fatal bleeding. get help right away for unexpected bleeding, unusual bruising, or tingling. if you've had spinal anesthesia, watch for back pain or any nerve or muscle-related signs or symptoms. do not take xarelto® if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. tell your doctor before all planned medical or dental procedures... ...and before starting xarelto®-about any conditions, such as kidney, liver, or bleeding problems. it's important to learn all you can... ...to help protect yourself from a stroke. talk to your doctor about xarelto®. there's more to know™.
6:23 pm
yeah, and i can watch thee bgame with directv now.? oh, sorry, most broadcast and sports channels aren't included. and you can only stream on two devices at once. this is fun, we're having fun. yeah, we are. no, you're not jimmy.
6:24 pm
don't let directv now limit your entertainment. xfinity gives you more to stream to more screens. the team prosecuting o.j. simpson for murder has no weapons and no witnesses. but what they do have is a wealth of forensic evidence, evidence that seems to prove
6:25 pm
o.j. simpson butchered ron goldman and nicole brown simpson. >> it appeared to me to be an overkill or a rage killing. >> there was blood everywhere. at the bundy crime scene, at simpson's rockingham estate and scattered along the route in between. blood, prosecutors say, is simpson's. >> does that mean that these characteristics that mr. simpson has that are also found in the bundy walk bloodstain are only found in approximately one out of 170 million caucasians or african-americans? >> yes, approximately. >> and that's not all. blood consistent with both victims was found in simpson's bronco, on that glove discovered behind his house and on these
6:26 pm
socks in his bedroom. >> you describe that material or that bloodstaining as matching nicole brown; is that right? >> that's correct. >> then there were the bloody shoe prints in the bronco and on nicole's dress. fbi expert william says those prints came from designer shoes in simpson's size 12. >> can you include him as a candidate who could have worn the shoes that created the impressions in this case? >> yes. i could include him as a candidate for possibly having worn those shoes. >> as the trial wears on, attention turns from socks and shoes to gloves. one found at the murder scene. the other behind simpson's house. together prosecutors believe they have proof that simpson's caught red-handed.
6:27 pm
>> i'm handing mr. simpson the glove. >> that's people's 77? >> exactly. >> what were you thinking when you heard prosecutor christopher darden request that simpson try on those gloves. >> i was sitting in the courtroom. i couldn't find a seat so i was kind of in the back. when i did that f. lee bailey came up to me and whispered in my ear, why the hell did you let him do that? i said i didn't know he was going to do anything. no. chris is a good man. he's a good prosecutor. he's a bright man. he should have known better. >> i remember watching the gloves in the courtroom and thinking to myself, he's not going to ask o.j. to put on the glove. that's too much of a risk. you never ask a question in a courtroom, much less do a
6:28 pm
demonstration where you don't know where the outcome is. and it was like a slow motion disaster movie for the prosecution as o.j. milked the moment for all it was worth and pretended to try on those gloves. >> after the trial, christopher darden would admit to larry king it was a mistake. >> when it happened in court, did you know you were in trouble? >> i knew that it hadn't gone as well as i hoped it would -- as it should have gone. >> did you consider it earth shattering to the case? >> no, not necessarily. not particularly. it wasn't until i went upstairs and left the courtroom that i realized people thought it was a monument taal failure. >> was it chris darden that blew this case. >> marsha clark contributed. but chris darden blew it.
6:29 pm
when o.j. was able to walk in front of the jury and say, it's too small. he didn't have to testify because he already testified in front of the jury and he wasn't cross examined. for us it was a win-win. >> he appears to have pulled the gloves on, counsel. >> but to this juror, it didn't seem like a big deal. >> so o.j. simpson was right in front of you when he put on that glove. >> he was about maybe two feet away from me. >> what do you remember from that moment? >> you know, a lot of people make a big deal about it, but, you know, i was a truckdriver. i wear gloves all the time. i know that when my gloves get wet they shrink up. >> after 92 exhausting days of testimony, 58 witnesses and 488 exhibits -- >> we ask the court to receive all of the people's exhibits and
6:30 pm
the people rest. >> next. >> the lapd's laboratory is a ses pool of con tam mags. >> the defense unleashes a blistering attack. >> how about that? (avo) come with us... ...to a new world. deeper than the ocean. as unfathomable as the universe. a world that doesn't exist outside you... ...but within you. where breakthrough science is replacing chemotherapy with immunotherapy. where we can now attack the causes of disease, not just the symptoms. where medicines once produced for all, are now designed to fit you. today 140,000 biopharmaceutical researchers go bodly to discover treatments and cures unimaginable ten years ago... ...and are on the verge of more tomorrow.
6:31 pm
i'm leaving you, wesley. but why? you haven't noticed me in two years. i was in a coma. well, i still deserve appreciation. who was there for you when you had amnesia? you know i can't remember that. stop this madness. if it's appreciation you want you should both get snapshot from progressive.
6:32 pm
it rewards good drivers with big discounts on car insurance. i have news. i've used most of our cellular data. come on, susan lucci! ♪
6:33 pm
6:34 pm
we think the evidence will show that he did not, could not or would not have committed these particular crimes. >> johnny cochran came roaring out of the gate on the attack and on the defensive. >> the lapd's laboratory is a cesspool of contamination. some had gloves. some didn't have gloves picking up the evidence. >> even suggesting a conspiracy to frame o.j. simpson. >> the fact that blood mysteriously appears on vital evidence is devastating evidence of something far more sinister. >> but the fireworks really begin here. defense lawyer, barry shec, unleases questions on experts like lapd crim noll gist, dennis
6:35 pm
if you think. >> confronting him about not wearing gloves when handling evidence. >> did you touch that envelope with your bare hands. >> and inconsistencies in his testimony. >> so you did begin evidence kol looex before the coroner's list. >> yes. >> so what you said before wasn't true? >> it was the best of my recollection at the time. >> and then the photos from the rear gate of nicole brown simpson's home. this one was taken by fung 20 days after the murders. as you can see, there is a bloodstain. however, a photo taken just hours after the murders showed no bloodstain. >> where it, mr. fung. >> we needed identification after that because he reamed him. >> i couldn't see it in the paragra program. >> what do you remember the most? >> oh, man. >> does that refresh your
6:36 pm
recollection? is that is concern of yours? are you sure of that. >> barry shek is one heck of an attorney. >> he is trying to convince the jury not only were investigators incompetent, but they tried to frame o.j. for the murders. and this juror agrees. >> do you truly believe that evidence was planted? >> yes. i -- from this day until the day i die, i think it was planted. >> if this was a conspiracy, how do you get blood on socks, blood on the bronco, his own blood? >> it's laughable. okay. let's look at planting of blood, okay? how do we get that blood from simpson, who is in chicago to plant blood that was already at the scene. it made no sense. obviously it made no sense. we didn't get simpson's blood until he returned from chicago. none of it made any sense, but nobody cared. it was a great show. >> and the show continues. more testimony from defense
6:37 pm
experts. >> have you ever seen a single assailant wear two pairs of shoes? >> no. >> that represents human dna that shouldn't be there, and that's what our definition of contamination is. >> on the stand now, o.j.'s personal physician, robert hiez ga. he testifies that simpson was in no way physically capable of murdering ron goldman and nicole brown simpson. >> although he looked like tarzan, he was walking more like tarzan's grandfather. >> the defense is on a roll. until prosecutor brian cal bert plays this 70 minute work-out video on cross-examination. >> working up a little sweat here, too. it was filmed just two weeks before the murder. simpson not only looks fit, but even cracks a joke about wife beating. >> i'm telling you, you got to
6:38 pm
get your space in if you're working out with the wife, if you know what i mean. >> perhaps the most dramatic and powerful moment for the defense is still to come. >> once he said, never in ten years have i ever used the n-word, i knew we had him. ♪ i love you, basement guest bathroom. your privacy makes you my number 1 place... ...to go number 2. i love you, but sometimes you stink. ♪ new febreze air effects with odorclear technology cleans... ...away odors like never before. because the things you love the most can stink.
6:39 pm
and try febreze small spaces to clean away odors for up... ...to 30 days. breathe happy with new febreze. it's so... quiet. is it, too quiet? it's awful. yeah. feel at home, pretty much wherever you are. t-mobile is america's best unlimited network. how to win at business. step one. point decisively with your glasses. abracadabra! the stage is yours. step two.
6:40 pm
choose laquinta. where you'll feel like the king of the road. check out our summer rates now at lq.com. work up a not at night.the day. only tempur-breeze® mattresses use an integrated system of technologies to keep you cool while you sleep. ultra-breathable support layers channel heat away from your body. purecool technology delivers cooling comfort you can feel. and the performance cover is cool to the touch. so you sleep cool and wake up feeling powerful. right now, save up to $500 on select tempur-breeze® mattress sets at our july 4th event. find the breeze that's right for you at tempurpedic.com there's nothing more than my vacation.me so when i need to book a hotel room, i want someone that makes it easy to find what i want. booking.com gets it. and with their price match, i know i'm getting the best price every time. now i can start relaxing even before the vacation begins. your vacation is very important. that's why booking.com
6:41 pm
makes finding the right hotel for the right price easy. visit booking.com now to find out why we're booking.yeah! when heartburn hits fight back fast with new tums chewy bites. fast relief in every bite. crunchy outside. chewy inside. tum tum tum tum new tums chewy bites. what are all these different topped & loaded meals? it's an american favorite on top of an american favorite, alice. it's like labor day weekend on top of the fourth of july. hotdogs. get your favorites on top of your favorites. only at applebee's. get your favorites on my abwill i have pain andating made daibloating today?ing game. my doctor recommended ibgard to manage my ibs. take control. ask your doctor about nonprescription ibgard.
6:42 pm
>> it was mark furman who found this spot? >> that's correct. >> did mark fuhrman have a flashlight when he was over at the bronco? >> did you have occasion to have a conversation with mark fuhrman? >> f. lee bailey says furman isn't credible and may even be criminal. >> did you go back to the crime scene? >> no. >> did you do any more observations. >> bailey wants to know if he planted evidence at the scene. >> did you wipe a glove in the bronco, detective fuhrman? >> no. >> you did not? >> no. >> but some of the jurors
6:43 pm
believe fuhrman was up to no good. >> did you ever for a moment believe that the police wanted to frame o.j. simpson? >> frame him, i think that was in furman's mind. >> but why would fuhrman want to frame o.j. simpson? simple says the defense team. fuhrman is a racist. >> why did it become so much about race? >> it is amazing because o.j. simpson was as white a black person as you can imagine. he lived a white life. >> married to a white woman. >> maried to a white woman, working for a major car company. he was not part of the african-american community to speak of. but i think that many african-americans could identify with the police tampering with evidence and planting evidence. >> were you familiar with the
6:44 pm
language attributed to you by mrs. bell? >> and to hammer home that fuhrman is a racist, bailey repeatedly asked if he used a certain racial slur. >> and you say under oath that you have not addressed any black person as a nigger or spoken about black people as niggers in the past ten years? >> that's what i'm saying, sir. >> so that anyone that comes to this court and quotes you as using that word in dealing with african-americans would be a liar. >> yes, they would. >> all of them? >> all of them. >> i was focussed on mark fuhrman, his every twitch, his every eye movement. i had no notes. i only wanted one thing from him, denial. >> no, never. >> once he said never in ten years have i ever used the n-word, i knew we had him. >> when he asked that question
6:45 pm
about f. lee bailey, everybody in the world knew he was being set up but him. >> what i didn't know was we also had him on tape. >> four months after bailey versus fuhrman, the defense gets an unlikely tip. screen writer laura heart mckinny had interviewed mark fuhrman for a fictional script and still had the recordings. >> despite a court order, some of the startling contents are leaked. >> he is just a real racist scum. >> now we're going to look at fuhrman and what a scum bag he is. >> and to don goldman's father, fred, the tapes are a devastating distraction. >> this is not now the fuhrman trial. this is a trial about the man
6:46 pm
that murdered my son. >> the judge ruled that the jury will be able to hear portions of taped interviewed with now retired lapd detective mark fuhrman. >> fuhrman says the n-word dozens of times, but the judge decide the jury will only hear two. the excerpts are brief, yet powerful and december tuisturbi >> after the excerpt intended of the fuhrman tapes, you broke down and cried at that moment. why? >> because i was worried at the ramifications because i watched them with this look of horror and disgust, you know, and watched them turn. i was like, that's it. >> that's it. fuhrman had lied on the stand and had used an abhorrent racial
6:47 pm
slur. it throws a whole new light on defense assertions that he had planted evidence, a charge he denies today. but would not address at the time. >> detective fuhrman, did you plant or manufacture any evidence in this case? >> i assert my fifth amendment privilege. >> he refused to answer that question on the grounds it might incriminate him. what more does anyone need? >> fuhrman is disgraced and dismissed from the case. coming up. >> all right. mr. simpson, would you please stand and face the jury. >> the dramatic verdict. whimper yap yap yap yip is your dog trying to tell you something? allergic itch in dogs is a medical condition that's more common and treatable than you think. that's why there's prescription apoquel:
6:48 pm
the revolutionary medicine that's giving millions of dogs the relief they deserve. apoquel goes to the source of the itch to provide relief in as little as 4 hours. woof and apoquel is safe without many of the side effects associated with the use of steroids. apoquel is for the control of itch associated with allergic dermatitis and the control of atopic dermatitis in dogs. do not use apoquel in dogs less than 12 months old or those with serious infections. apoquel may increase the chance of developing serious infections and may cause existing parasitic skin infestations or pre-existing cancers to worsen. do not use in breeding, pregnant, or lactating dogs. most common side effects are vomiting and diarrhea. don't wait. ask your veterinarian about apoquel today. apoquel. it's itch relief worth barking about. bark
6:49 pm
it's ok that everybody ignoit's fine.n i drive. because i get a safe driving bonus check every six months i'm accident free. because i don't use my cellphone when i'm driving. even though my family does, and leaves me all alone. here's something else... i don't share it with mom. i don't. right, mom? i have a brand new putter you don't even know about! it's awesome. safe driving bonus checks, only from allstate. sometimes i leave the seat up on purpose. switching to allstate is worth it.
6:50 pm
that's why at comcast we're continuing to make4/7. our services more reliable than ever. like technology that can update itself. an advanced fiber-network infrustructure.
6:51 pm
new, more reliable equipment for your home. and a new culture built around customer service. it all adds up to our most reliable network ever. one that keeps you connected to what matters most. late september, 1995. for nine long months, the trial of the century has been a national obsession. >> stop domestic violence! break the code of silence. >> but a casualty of the constant hype is the freedom of 14 men and women, the jury has been sequestered since before the trial started. >> we were told it was going to be about three months, and then when the third month came and
6:52 pm
then there was four and then five, and then it kept going, it just went on and on and on. >> but, says david aldana, there were bright spots like several secret field trips. >> i actually got to fly the goodyear blimp. we went to a dodger game and i caught a foul ball. >> and there was even a barbeque. >> one day that all my friends came and visited me and they all brought cases of beer and we au got plastered. >> back in court, o.j. simpson cites the jurors' fatigue as one reason he's not going to testify. >> i am mindful of the mood and the stamina of this jury. i have confidence, and a lot more than miss clark, that they will find as the record stands, that i would not, and could not have committed this crime. >> four days later, the end is finally in sight. >> you have heard all of the evidence. >> no more witnesses, no more
6:53 pm
delays, just closing statements. first up, lead prosecutor marcia clark. >> let me come back to mark fuhrman for a minute, just so it is clear. did he lie when he testified here in this coup, saying that he did not use epithets in the last ten years? yes. is he a racist? yes. but the fact that mark fuhrman is a racist and lied about it on the witness stand does not mean that we haven't proven the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. >> how in this country -- >> then comes defense attorney barry scheck. >> there's no doubt fuhrman's a liar and a genocidal racist, there's no doubt about that. but there's really no doubt either that they played with the so is there? and if that can happen, that's a reasonable doubt to this case, period, end of sentence, end of
6:54 pm
case. >> finishing for the defense, johnny cochran, with probably the most memorable quote of the trial. >> if it doesn't fit, you must acquit. >> but now, two decades later, we learn that wasn't cochran's phrase after all. >> he did not invent that. that was done by the dean of the santa clara law school jerry oleman who was the most unknown person in our defense team. >> and so 20 years later, he is getting the proper credit? >> yes, he is getting the credit. he deserves it. >> however, regardless of the source, the words "it doesn't fit," hammered cochran's message home. >> and after nine months of testimony, hundreds of exhibits, more than 260 days isolated in a hotel, jurors are finally sent to determine o.j. simpson's fate.
6:55 pm
>> we walked into that room. we, let's see. what do you want to do first? well, let's see where everybody stands. we went around the room, guilty, not guilty. >> it's two votes guilty, ten not guilty. after reviewing testimony, they prepare to vote again. >> now, you guys had been sequestered for nine months, and you were tired, you hadn't seen your families, your kids, your friends. you wanted to get out of there. were the majority of you working hard to get those two to come on board? >> actually no. it wasn't arguing or yelling or anything like that. we just came to take another vote, and the other two came on board, and they said not guilty. and it wasn't because they thought that he was innocent. it was because the prosecution just didn't prove it. >> and aldana, for one, also believed the defense argument
6:56 pm
that the police framed o.j. >> how is it with all of this evidence against o.j. that he's set free? >> some of that stuff was planted, and when some of that was planted, what was and what wasn't? >> and how did mark fuhrman play a part in your decision when it came down to the verdict? >> quite a bit. because everything that he had anything to do with pretty much got thrown out. i knew he was dirty, because after a while, you get a sense of people. >> and do you truly believe that the police, the detectives, the criminologists, were as incompetent as the defense made them out to be? >> yeah, i think so. >> mr. simpson, would you please stand and face the jury. >> deliberations take less than
6:57 pm
four hours. >> we the jury in the above entitled action find defendant orenthal james simpson not guilty of the crime of murder in violation of penal code section 187 -- >> they read it and we heard that and i just fell apart. >> fred and kim goldman were devastated. >> it was as if your insides got yanked out of you. everything that we knew to be certain, that he had killed ron and nicole, suddenly as if, oh, wait a minute, how is that possible? >> and then our side is in shock, and then you hear the cheers and the jubilee going on on the other side. [ cheers and applause ] >> that division became what was seen across the tvs for several days. it was blacks cheering and
6:58 pm
whites crying. >> when you think of the verdict now, what are your thoughts? >> i feel betrayed. i feel really let down. i feel confused. emotionally, i don't get why they chose to acquit him. logically, i get it. it was because it was as a a racial thing. you know, you're the messenger. and i'm sad. i'm sad that we, as a country, couldn't rise above -- >> above it. >> -- and make a decision -- >> and realize that two people were murdered, slaughtered, and that you do the right thing at that moment. >> juror 11, is this your verdict? [ cheers and applause ] >> as for simpson, he returns to his home in brentwood, vowing to spend his time looking for the real killer. but first, he has a phone call to make, to cnn.
6:59 pm
>> with us on the phone is o.j. simpson. how are you? >> i'm doing fine and, one, i want to thank you -- >> could you believe that he called in? >> no, could not believe it. so he calls in, we put him on, actually and johnny cochran is there and he thanks johnny for his help. >> most of all, i want to thank that man, mr. johnny cochran, for believing from the very beginning, listening, and putting his heart and soul on the line to send me home. >> he says, i'll come on soon and i'll give you the whole story, larry. >> do you believe o.j. simpson is innocent, 20 years later? >> i found him innocent, and i believe he is innocent. >> you still believe that 20 years later? >> yep. >> with all your heart? >> all my heart. there is nothing, if i were given that same evidence again, i would find him not guilty i would find him not guilty again.
7:00 pm
-- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com don't touch that dial. we're about to flip it for you. >> in five, four, three, two. >> tv is changing dramatically now with 150 channels that might be available in the near future. >> there's a lot of things that we do that you couldn't have on network television. >> people are really trying to do something adventurous. >> channel 7, shame on you. >> this is more celebration of culture and opening the doors and allowing america to come on inside. >> there is always something on television and some of it may be better than we deserve. >> that was cool. ♪

49 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on