Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  July 26, 2017 12:00am-1:00am PDT

12:00 am
a tale of two leaders, in their own words. this is cnn to night. i'm don lemon. president trump speaking to a cheering crowd in youngstown, ohio tonight says this. >> with the exception of the late great abraham lincoln, i can be more presidential than any president that's ever held this office. that i can tell you. >> meanwhile, senator john mccain, a former presidential candidate, returns to the senate just 11 days after brain surgery and he says this. >> i hope we can again rely on humility, on our need to cooperate, on our dependence on each other, to learn how to trust each other again, and by
12:01 am
so doing better serve the people who elected us. >> two speeches, two american leaders. which one sounds presidential to you? let's get right to cnn's presidential historian, timothy natali, political analyst kirsten powers, rick san tore 'em, and cnn political commentator matt louis. tim, you are first. here is what president trump said. >> political correctness for me is easy. sometimes they say, "he doesn't act presidential." and i say, "hey, look, great schools, smart guy." it is so easy to act presidential, but it is not going to get it done. in fact, i said, it is much
12:02 am
easier, by the way, to act presidential than what we're doing here tonight, believe me. i said -- [ cheering and applause ]. >> and i said, with the exception of the late, great abraham lincoln, i can be more presidential than any president that's ever held this office. that i can tell you. [ cheering and applause ]. >> tim? >> well, first of all, i'm not sure how many president he could actually name other than president obama. i think that the issue for him has always been that he wanted to be different, he wanted to change the norms. he promised his base that he would not act like any other leader they'd ever had before. but you know what? being presidential is not all
12:03 am
about what you say or what you tweet. it is about what you achieve. so far as senator mccain reminded us today, besides the elevation of neil gorsuch this presidential has achieved very little. >> he said, we've accomplished -- he said to his colleagues, we've accomplished nothing but neil gorsuch, that was john mccain. >> you want to stack yourself up and compare yourself to roosevelt, either roosevelt, to john f. kennedy, to ronald reagan, go ahead. you have to do it in terms of achievements. so far he doesn't have many to point to. >> kirsten? >> it is collusionadelusional. there's no other way to put it. it is distorted reality because there's nothing, as you said, that he could point to that would suggest that he's done anything that would put him on par with abraham lincoln or really any -- any of our presidents. so, you know, if you can't get anything done, if you can't even
12:04 am
achieve your -- one of your primary promises, something that your political party has been promising for seven years and you control every branch of the government, then obviously it is just complete lunacy to say something like this. >> rick? >> what i would say is that he has accomplished much within his administration on an administrative level. think he's definitely changed the tone in washington d.c. from the regulatory state to one that is allowing more free enterprise. everything from the work that's being done by jeff sessions, i would argue, on immigration to work at the epa, work at department of labor. there's a lot of things going on through the regulatory process, spending, a lot of obama era regulations and rules that are definitely making a difference. but having said that, i will agree with the two previous commentators that he hasn't had a whole lot of legislative successes. he needs to get one.
12:05 am
i'm here in aspen today, i was meeting with the republican governors and talking about health care and working with them to try to get them engaged and involved and actually helping president trump come up with a plan that actually can pass if and when it gets to conference. >> yeah. matt, go on. >> so, okay, when i hear him say "presidential," to me that doesn't mean does he roll back regulations or not. it is about reverent -- you know, we have reverence for presidents. it is a tell practice meant. they have gravitas, they're people on mount rushmore. in that regard he is not presidential. he is presidential in the same way kid rock will be senatorial, which is to say not at all. but that's not necessarily a horrible thing. you know, as was said earlier, donald trump didn't run to be presidential. he ran to shake things up and to be different. >> matt, that's a good point
12:06 am
then. >> i would say -- >> that is a very good point. that's why so many people may have voted for him, because they wanted someone to shake things up. maybe they didn't want someone who is presidential, but when it comes out of his mouth he opens himself up for criticism. i mean who sits there and says, you know, "i am the best, i'm better than this person?" humility goes a long way. if i sat here and said, you know, water cronkite has nothing on me and ed warld r.mouro wishes he could filmy shoes. it is absolutely ridiculous. even if one thought that, they wouldn't say that. go on, matt. >> no, i think that's right. i'm not a historian, but i mean i would say like, you know, you go down the list of people like lincoln and these august figures that we revere, trump is nothing like that. i mean if i'm trying to be fair, i think, you know, it's been said before but maybe the aforementioned teddy roosevelt, maybe andrew jackson. that's the model for donald trump. it is not abraham lincoln.
12:07 am
>> let's move on and talk about because the hits keep on talking about when we're talking about jeff sessions today. here is what president trump said on camera. >> i want the attorney general to be much tougher on the leaks from intelligence agencies, which are leaking like rarely have they ever leaked before at a very important level. these are intelligence agencies. we cannot have that happen. you know many of my views in addition to that, but i think that's one of the very important things that they have to get on with. i told you before, i'm very disappointed with the attorney general, but we will see what happens. time will tell. time will tell. >> so, senator santorum, you think sessions shouldn't have recused himself but think he is doing a good job as a.g. what dow think the president should do? >> you know, look, i don't have any problem with the president calling out members of his cabinet, everybody else, and not following what he wants to do.
12:08 am
i don't -- i don't necessarily agree with him when it comes to jeff sessions, that he's not doing a good job on really following through with what donald trump promised during the campaign. i have to say i'm disappointed in the president. seems to be, you know, now fixated on calling jeff sessions out again and again, because jeff sessions is carrying his water. jeff sessions is doing a great job on the policy front. as you mentioned. i didn't agree that jeff sessions should have recused himself. i didn't think he had to. i know there's justice department regulations but, you know, those are regulations that can be interpreted by the attorney general, and i think he could have held firm and not done it. i understand why donald trump was disappointed that he did it, but i don't think that's the reason -- >> the regulation is 28 cfr 45.2, notice that justice department employees shall not participate in a criminal investigation or prosecution if he has personal or political relationship with an elected official or candidate and so on.
12:09 am
but also -- >> yeah, but -- >> also, he says that he did it because he thought he had to do it. he said it was simple -- this is his testimony. he said, it is the law, it was in his opening statement before the senate intelligence committee. he believed it was the law. he said i recused myself not because of any aserlted wrong doing on my part during the campaign, sessions said. >> right. >> but because a department of justice regulation, the one i mention, required it. that's what he said. >> yeah, i disagree. i just disagree with him because, i mean, if that was the case, if you have an affiliation with a political candidate -- obviously he did before he took the job. i don't think he mailed it clear that based on that that he was going to recuse himself. look, i just disagree with jeff on that one. but having said that, i think he's doing what the president wants him to do on a lot of other important issues. >> okay. let's move on because i want to talk at this moment, this moment is between republican senator susan collins and democratic senator jack reid. listen. >> i don't -- i don't say that
12:10 am
lightly and as kind of, you know, a goofy guy. oof, and, you know, the -- this thing, you know, if we don't get a budget deal -- >> i know. >> -- we're going to be paralysed, dod, everybody will be paralyzed. >> i know. >> but he hasn't said one word -- >> i don't even think he knows that there is a bca or anything. i really don't. >> so i call that kitchen table talk. >> yeah. >> and also commercial break talk, even from people who are supporters of whatever. they say one thing in the commercial break and then -- >> yeah. >> you say, wait, where did that come from? >> right. >> when you say things that you don't necessarily want to say in public, what you really feel. am i wrong about that? >> no, i think that's exactly right. >> why aren't more people stepping up and saying that publicly? >> look, susan collins was never a big trump fan, but i think even among people -- i think people would be surprised how
12:11 am
many people talk like that who are in the house or in the senate and who are concerned about donald trump and who will not come out publicly and say it. you know, anyway, i know for a fact that there are a lot of people that feel this way. i think the reason they're not coming out is because they, you know, donald trump is a means to an end for republicans. so he -- whether they like him or not, whether they think he's crazy or not, he's the only way they're going to get their tax reform. he was the only way they thought they were going to get their obamacare repealed. he's the only way there's going to be a crack down on immigration, or whatever their issue is, he's the only way it is going to happen. so they're holding their tongues because they want to get their -- the policies done that they believe in. >> well, stand by, because i know you want -- but, matt, is he the only way they will get this done or the best way to get this done is to continue to keep a republican majority in the house and in the senate? because even if the person in the white house is a democrat, i
12:12 am
mean, don't they have more power, you know, if they keep their majority? >> yeah, i just think it is -- they were -- this fell in their lap. they did not think that donald trump was going to win, and you got to dance with the one that brung ya. there's also the aspect that the debates loves donald trump. we saw it in west virginia last night that the base loves donald trump. there's a lot of regular americans, certainly a large percentage of the conservative base loves donald trump. if you are a republican elected official, your bet -- your best bet is to sort of just try to ride this out and get as much as you can out of it. that's clearly the calculation at least. >> i agree. i think that what's going to happen is we're going to be looking at the republican polls to see if republicans still generally support donald trump. and if you see that number dropping, watch as members of congress start to distance
12:13 am
themselves from him before 2018. >> yeah. >> because that's the big test. >> yeah. >> another interesting point that may not be obvious is a lot of these big donors in different states, in texas, in florida, you name it, california, people think that a lot of these big conservative donors are like establishment types because, hey, if you made, you know, a billion dollars in business you must be rational, you must be serious, you must be like an establishment type republican. >> no. >> no. they're actually much closer to the republican base than are, say, the center right journalists and the political operatives. >> they also love the tax cuts and the things that go along with it. >> not only do the politicians have to be careful to keep the base happy -- >> i got you. >> -- they probably have a donor in their home state who loves trump. >> reed's statement said he was letting senator collins know he was in her corner and went on to explain. says, for the good of the country the president needs to
12:14 am
start focusing on the budget. collins says she is worried about the transportation and housing program elimination and they're critically important to the local communities, whatever. so they released statements talking about their hot mike moments. i thought it was important to get that in. stick with me, everyone, when we come right back. >> i stand here today looking a little worse for wear i'm sure -- >> john mccain back on the senate floor days after a major surgery and cancer diagnosis. we're going to show you a lot more of his dramatic return next. what if we could bring you better value by having better values? at blue apron, we work directly with more than a hundred family farms. so instead of spending on costly middlemen and supermarkets, we can invest in the things that matter most: making farmland healthier. cutting down on food waste. and bringing you higher quality, fresher ingredients for less than you pay at the store. because food is better when you start from scratch.
12:15 am
get $30 off at blueapron.com/cook tais really quite simple.est it comes in the mail, you pull out the tube and you spit in it, which is something southern girls are taught you're not supposed to do. you seal it and send it back and then you wait for your results. it's that simple.
12:16 am
12:17 am
12:18 am
senator john mccain recovering from brain surgery returned to the senate today to cast a key vote in favor of moving the health care bill forward, and it was an emotional moment. my panel is back with me. i want everyone to listen to some of senator john mccain's impassioned message to his colleagues. >> we've been spinning our wheels on too many important issues because we keep trying to find a way to win without help from across the aisle. that's an approach that's been employed by both sides,m sides, mandating legislation from the top down without any
12:19 am
support from the other side, with all of the parliamentary maneuvers that requires. we're getting nothing done, my friends. we're getting nothing done! all we've really done this year is confirm neil gorsuch to the supreme court. our health care insurance system is a mess. we all know it. those who support obamacare and those who oppose it. something has to be done. we republicans have looked for a way to end it and replace it with something else without paying a terrible political price. we haven't found it yet. i'm not sure we will. all we've managed to do is make more popular a policy that wasn't very popular when we started trying to get rid of it. i voted for the motion to proceed to allow debate to continue and amendments to be offered. i will not vote for this bill as it is today. it is a shell of a bill right now. we all know that. if this process ends in failure, which seems likely, then let's
12:20 am
return to regular order. let the health education, labor and pensions committee under chairman alexander and ranking member murray hold hearings, try to write a bill out of committee with contributions from both sides. [ applause ] >> something that my dear friends on the other side of the aisle didn't allow to happen nine years ago. we are an important check on the powers of the executive. our consent is necessary for the president to appoint powerful government officials, and in many respect to conduct foreign policy. whether or not we are of the same party, we are not the president's subordinates. we are his equal. we don't hide behind walls. we breach them.
12:21 am
we are a blessing to humanity. what greater cause could we hope to serve than helping keep america the strong, inspiring, inspirational beacon of liberty and defender of the dignity of all human beings and their right to freedom and equal justice? that is the cause that binds us and is so much more powerful and worthy than the small differences that divide us. what a great honor and extraordinary opportunity it is to serve in this body. >> what do you think, matt? >> well, look, i love john mccain. obviously i think all americans are keeping him in our prayers. it was up lifting. that was senatorial. that was presidential. i would say though, if you want to drill down on the actual substance, john mccain talked about returning to regular order and having a bipartisan approach
12:22 am
to fixing health care. he could have made that happen today. he actually could have voted against the motion to proceed. most likely then they would have -- republicans would have had to work with democrats. it is interesting he had this call for working -- for a bipartisan approach to fixing health care, but he actually, you know, helped give i think republicans a chance to do this on a party line vote. >> tim, what dow think of that? >> i couldn't disagree more. >> go ahead, senator. >> no, i just couldn't disagree more. like the idea -- and this is the game in washington for a long time. the only way you're bipartisan is you go and do what the democrats want to do, that's bipartisan. for them to actually come over and try to repeal obamacare and do something and create something better, that's not bipartisan. bipartisan is trying to fix a horrible system. see, this is -- this is the filter by which a lot of -- we see a lot of the news through. it doesn't work. what john mccain was trying to -- was saying was right. the democrats didn't allow this
12:23 am
debate to happen for many years. i mean you want to talk about getting nothing done, the last several years of the obama administration nothing got done because the senate was this quagmire, which by the way has continued. look, i agree with him, a lot of the blame now goes to -- >> so why isn't it bipartisan to want to say we have something in place, a lot of people rely on it. there are some parts of it that are really good, some parts are really bad. get rid of the really bad parts and work on the good parts, who cares what you call it? what we care about are the american people. how is that -- >> i couldn't agree more, but i think -- and i have been working with john mccain actually on another solution that he believes and i believe actually could and should get bipartisan support. whether it will, i don't know. but i've been working with senator cassie and senator graham and senator mccain and others to try to craft something out within the context of this reconciliation bill. >> can i ask you something? >> yes. >> is there nothing -- is there anything about the affordable care act that you like?
12:24 am
>> actually, not very much, no, i don't. i mean, in fact, the idea that we're talking about is to do what -- >> so there's nothing you like about the affordable care act? >> no, what i would like to take the affordable care act and get rid of all of the provisions of it, not all of the taxes, and what we're talking about doesn't, but then take the money and send it to the states and do what we did in 1996 with bill clinton's support and almost 20 democratic senators and say, washington shouldn't be managing this very personal, very difficult and very diverse area of the world, which is health care. >> quickly because others want to get in. >> we should give it out to the states, allow for innovation, allow for experimentation, allow for that kind of dynamism and not run it out of washington. >> senator, if it weren't for the affordable care act, do you
12:25 am
think republicans would be talking about protecting people with preexisting conditions? if it weren't for the affordable care act -- >> as you -- >> wait a second. you had time. do you think republicans would be talking about insuring young people, people under the age of 26 to be carried by their parents' insurance programs? do you think if it weren't for obamacare we would be discussion the expansion of medicaid and protecting that expansion in certain states? i think that we actually are talking about a bipartisan issue, but things are so partisan in washington, republicans are not willing to admit that it is thanks to obama that the nature of the debate over health care has changed and that now the republicans are trying to actually meet the national demand for the benefits that obama brought to this country. whether you like it or not, the whole debate has changed. there's no way that you can just repeal obamacare with nothing to replace it. that wouldn't have happened without obama. >> in this you heard what john mccain said. he said all that we have accomplish -- meaning the
12:26 am
senate -- was to make a non- popular bill more popular. >> well, look, this is what i would say to answer your question. with respect to preexisting condition, as you know, most people with preexisting condition were already covered, one by federal law that if you were in a group plan you couldn't be eliminated and mostly by state laws that did what obamacare did. obamacare covered very few on that provision, number one. number two, you are right, obamacare dramatically expanded medicaid. i can tell you very few republicans want to expand medicaid, and in fact the provisions we're working on is to give the government the flexibility to design a different system to use private insurance to provide health care as opposed to expanding a very expensive and bureaucrat system like medicaid. >> let kirsten get in. >> i think the problem, the people who didn't have -- the people with the preexisting coverage that had insurance and never let it lapse, but if it
12:27 am
lambsed, if you lost your job, got sick and had to quick your job and you had a prekpesiexist condition, you were pretty much screwed for the rest of your life. i think you're down playing it, senator. the reality is the republicans had a chance to come up with a plan when george bush was president and they never did it. to your point, the only reason they're talking about it now is because president obama changed the dynamic of this conversation. now people expect the government to provide some sort of safety net for them. so, you know, i think that because something exists -- i think it is a little unfair for republicans to expect democrats to come and dismantle something they created that's a legacy of the last democratic president and that they believe works. so it would be behoove republicans if they want to get something done and they need it to be bipartisan to try to fix obamacare, that there are problems with it and it could be fixed. >> okay. that's got to be the last word. matt, you don't get to speak right now. thank you very much, all of you. when we come back, the president
12:28 am
attacking his own attorney general, but why isn't he taking the approach that we expect from him instead? >> you're fired. you won't see these folks they have businesses to run. they have passions to pursue. how do they avoid trips to the post office? stamps.com mail letters, ship packages, all the services of the post office right on your computer. get a 4 week trial, plus $100 in extras including postage and a digital scale. go to stamps.com/tv and never go to the post office again.
12:29 am
12:30 am
12:31 am
who knew that phones would starentertaining us,ng? getting us back on track and finding us dates. phones really have changed. so why hasn't the way we pay for them? introducing xfinity mobile. you only pay for data and can easily switch between pay per gig and unlimited. no one else lets you do that. see how much you can save when you choose by the gig or unlimited. call or go to xfinitymobile.com. xfinity mobile. it's a new kind of network, designed to save you money.
12:32 am
president not letting up on his public criticism of attorney general jeff sessions, saying today he is disappointed in him and blasting sessions in a tweet as very weak. vickie ward. william cohen is here, the author of why wall street matters. alice stewart. and mike dantonio, the author of the truth about trump. vickie, when asked about the future of attorney general jeff sessions president trump said, we will see what happens. time will tell, time will tell. the president could fire sessions if he wanted to. why doesn't he just do it? why doesn't he say, you're fired? >> great question. you know, he doesn't really like to fire people. i was speaking to sam nunberg who worked on his campaign who he did fire, quite unusual. he said it was very, very
12:33 am
difficult for him. he did do it face-to-face, but he views, you know, the people he hires as family. so -- and, you know, certainly when he was in real estate he had a very lean organization at trump tower. you know, it is actually very unusual for donald trump to fire people. don't like to do it directly. you know, i read report just before coming on now there are a lot of people inside the white house like steve bannon pushing him really not to fire jeff sessions. you know, jeff sessions has a tremendous amount of support in the base, a lot of republicans are really worried that firing jeff sessions would be a really, really bad political move for this president. >> there's a lot of political currency in that and they don't want to squander that. >> yes. >> haven't we talked about this before? haven't you told me he hates to fire people? i think it was either you or william cohen. >> it could have been either one of us. >> speaking of william cohen, remember this guy? watch this. >> you're fired. >> you're fired.
12:34 am
>> you're fired. >> you're fired. >> you're fired. >> you're fired. >> where is he? >> you know, apparently, don, if i've done my homework properly, he wasn't the one doing the firing on the apprentice. he was merely reading a script about who he was told to fire. even in his singular role as the one who fires people, he was not even doing the firing. he was following ""the apprentice" script. >> you mean in reality tv there's a script? oh, my gosh! shocking. >> yeah. i mean where there's no script apparently is in the white house right now. that's where there is no script. >> yeah. that was sarcasm for folks who believe that reality tv is really reality tv, that there is no script to it. as you were saying about what vickie said? >> i apologize for being a little tongue-in-cheek. i think vickie is absolutely right. this is a guy who doesn't like confrontation. i think it is even kind of worse
12:35 am
than that. i think he gets some sort of sadistic pleasure about watching poor jeff sessions twist in the wind as he has been doing for the last week or so. it is kind of painful to watch. i might add that the new addition to the white house, anthony scaramucci, seems to be having a grand old time acting as though he's going to fire people and, in fact, firing people today. so there you go. maybe it is anthony is going to do the firing. >> michael, when the president fired the fbi director, james comey, he didn't even do it himself. comey was fired by letter that jeff sessions, of all people, wrote, and it was hand delivered by trump's long-time body guard keith shiller. is this a strategy of managing people out the door as opposed to leading? >> well, i think both of your guests got it right, that donald trump doesn't like to fire people, and that he actually finds it more comfortable to confront someone who's low on the totem pole. the more powerful an individual
12:36 am
is, the less likely he is to engage in direct confrontation. but there's also an element of disruption here, which is classic trump. he's letting sessions know that he's unhappy, but he's also signaling everyone in the administration that you're not secure. this idea of systemwide insecurity i think is a longstanding strategy for him. he doesn't want anyone to get too comfortable, but yet if something has to be done he's not likely to do the deed himself. >> yeah, it was interesting. do you remember during the whole corey lewandowski it was said that it was jared and ivanka that wanted corey out and that the president didn't want to fire him. has donald trump always had this passive/aggressive management style, michael? >> well, he has. you know, he is a very passive/aggressive kind of guy, with the emphasis on the aggressive. you know, he likes to be
12:37 am
aggressive in public, and if it is a weapon like a tweet or a public statement that he can make, he's happy to appear aggressive there. but in private he's actually often a pus cat. >> yeah. let's -- i'm sure a lot of people at home are going, really? alice is laughing at that. what do you think, alice? >> i think the world of michael, but i'm not sure i would use pussy cat to describe donald trump. this is a pattern. he did the same thing when it came to letting corey lewandowski go and flynn, and he let someone else do the dirty work. when the president comes out and says sessions is weak, think that's very confusing because one of the reasons that he brought him on, because sessions was so strong on one of the key issues that the president is so passionate about, which is immigration. i think that is something that the attorney general is still fighting very hard for today,
12:38 am
rolling out a new crack down on sanctuary cities. he is also executing the president's policy with regard to civil asset forfeitures. it is unfortunate that the president doesn't recognize what sessions is in there doing to execute his policies, and instead he is so focused on the fact that sessions recused himself from the russia probe, which he really needed to do given the fact he shouldn't be investigating a situation that he was involved with through the campaign. so in my view, sessions mailed the right choice to recuse himself. unfortunately, the president just can't seem to get passed that. >> alice and the rest of our panel have a lot more to say right after this. ♪ if you could book a flight, then add a hotel, or car, or activity in one place and save, where would you go? ♪ expedia. this school year, it's okay to stumble. to struggle.
12:39 am
to want to give up. but not to give in. to be scared. but not scared away. or hit the wrong note. and keep playing. you're learning resilience. tenacity. lessons you can't put a letter grade on. lessons i'm learning, too. here's to the moms who show their kids that every step -even a misstep- is a step forward. what if we could bring you by having better values? at blue apron,
12:40 am
we work directly with more than a hundred family farms. so instead of spending on costly middlemen and supermarkets, we can invest in the things that matter most: making farmland healthier. cutting down on food waste. and bringing you higher quality, fresher ingredients for less than you pay at the store. because food is better when you start from scratch. get $30 off at blueapron.com/cook
12:41 am
12:42 am
back now with my panel. mr. cohen, president trump's new communications director told reporters tonight he does not plan on firing any more people until he reviews the communication department, but he added if leaks continue he is going to let everybody go. is this the kind of fighter donald trump has been looking
12:43 am
for? >> i think so, right? i mean he said repeatedly over the last few days he wanted jeff sessions, his attorney general, to start plugging the leaks in the intelligence community. anthony scaramucci comes in on friday and is already talking about firing people who have been leaking supposedly in the communications office. it sends a very powerful signal. i'm sure there's a lot of people who are quite nervous as a result of this. and i'm sure that's exactly what donald trump -- look, i known anthony very well. he is not going to do anything that donald trump doesn't want him to do, and he will do everything donald trump wants him to do. so this is exactly coming from donald trump. the interesting thing is i'm sure these leaks are not just in the communications office. i'm sure they're also in the rest of the white house. is he going to start policing people in the rest of the white house, too? >> vickie, the irony is that when he says he wants to stop leaks, what happens? >> i don't know if you noticed that anthony's first firing got
12:44 am
leaked to tara palmieri at "politico" today. like you, i like anthony scaramucci. i think he could be very effective. i think what you have to give him props for, he was like cast into the wilderness by reince priebus in january. now he's back. you know, sort of seemingly running the show in the white house in a matter of months. >> well, the thing is that here is what the scuttlebutt was, and i'm sure alice knows about that, that anthony scaramucci was supposed to get a bigger role, or a role earlier on at the white house, i should say, and the scuttlebutt was that reince priebus was torpedoing him from doing it and there was no love lost there. >> you took the words out of my mouth. there's no love lost between reince priebus and anthony. that happens when you have an
12:45 am
administration like this or a campaign or a business, you will have people that have differences of opinions and different agendas, but the reality is now all of them realize they're on the same team. they're all loyal to the president. they're loyal to the office of the presidency. reince priebus has his role, steve bannon has his role, and now anthony has his. what i'm hearing and what we're understanding now is that scaramucci is really going to crack down on making sure that the communication shop works together, cracking down on leaks, and making sure that the president does all he can to stay on message. look, you're going to have people that butt heads, but at the end of the day what we're seeing right now is things taking shape and people loyal to the president and certainly to this country. >> hey, michael, here's the word the president uses a lot. watch this. >> i know them all. they're killers. they're negotiators. i will be using our best, best, sharpest, killer businesspeople.
12:46 am
>> if one of the people that i know, some new york killer builder or somebody built that building, it would have been up two years ago. >> they're killers, but this is what we want negotiating for this. >> does scaramucci fit that killer win-at-all-costs? >> i don't know him well enough, but i know president trump was raised with his father whispering this mantra into his ear, you're a killer, you're a king. now, scaramucci i don't think wants to be the king. he recognizes that there is only one king, and he's in the oval office. so if the president wants him to be a killer, i'm sure he will go out and try to accomplish whatever the president orders. the problem here is that every white house really since nixon has leaked like crazy, and every white house has tried to plug the leaks. it is hit or miss. you know, there are so many examples of presidents cracking down, and yet more and more
12:47 am
leaking happens. a lot of that depends on whether people are on the same page, and also how threatened they feel, especially legally. >> plus, that's the way many people, many americans get to know the wrong doing is through the leaks. many have said scaramucci is what donald trump sees when he looks in the mirror, but it seems scaramucci may be taking things from the president, too. it is from "the daily show, by the way." >> getting the simplest point -- >> think our -- >> this is a real plan. >> don't pin it on the republican -- >> any place. ♪ >> i mean new yorkers, they talk with their hands. come on, vickie. i mean what do you think? >> i think anthony's saving grace is that he's seven inches shorter than the president.
12:48 am
otherwise he would be in problems. the president doesn't like to be overshadowed. >> that is pretty funny, you have to admit. loved having you all on. see you soon. thank you so much. >> thanks, don. >> when we come back, a new day's alison camerota stays up late and joins me with a sneak peek at her new project. ♪ if you have medicare
12:49 am
12:50 am
parts a and b and want more coverage, guess what? you could apply for a medicare supplement insurance plan whenever you want. no enrollment window. no waiting to apply. that means now may be a great time to shop for an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. medicare doesn't cover everything. and like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, these help cover some of what medicare doesn't pay. so don't wait. call now to request your free decision guide. it could help you find the aarp medicare supplement plan that works for you. these types of plans have no networks, so you get to choose any doctor who accepts
12:51 am
medicare patients. rates are competitive, and they're the only plans of their kind endorsed by aarp. remember - these plans let you apply all year round. so call today. because now's the perfect time to learn more. go long. you won't see these folks they have businesses to run. they have passions to pursue. how do they avoid trips to the post office? stamps.com mail letters, ship packages, all the services of the post office right on your computer. get a 4 week trial, plus $100 in extras including postage and a digital scale. go to stamps.com/tv and never go to the post office again.
12:52 am
well, you watch our own alisyn camerota every morning on cnn's "new day," she is the author of a new novel. it is the story of a young reporter who lands a job at a big-time cable news station. they know what they say, you talk about what you know. she joins me now. everybody is describing it that way? >> i have seen it written "devil wears prada of cable news," so i'm saying it a lot. >> so this chapter titled "the impossible dream" where you talk about going for an interview, right, and then the person asks, you know, we're the fair news
12:53 am
network. you said, isn't that already cnn? then you go on, it is about what you know, but you're not basing it on one particular experience, right? >> well, no. it is my experience basically of 25 years over my career, boiled down into her -- amanda's trajectory -- >> amanda gallo. >> a ch amanda gallo, basically she figures out in a year and a half what took me 25 years to figure out. it is set at fair news. what that is was my imagination, my yeutopian dream of being at network where you weren't put into a partisan box because it would be a tenlt ft for left an right, old and young, north and south. >> because those who don't know alisyn, you have always been on in the morning. you came from fox and anchored the weekends at fox. i would watch you and dave who is now here, i would watch you
12:54 am
on fox and text message. >> yes, we always appreciated knowing you were watching. >> when you first came to cnn you had a co-anchor back in the day. >> very handsome. dashingly handsome co-anchor. >> and the character is based on, but it is not. >> yes, it is don lemon. it is the torrid affair we had. >> let's talk seriously about the book. the segment of borgs was getting on twitter. she says, when i was challenging the woman's attorney they said i was right wing, anti-abortion hater. when i was challenging fluke, who was the male, they said i was a left wing liberal baby killer. those were the more pleasant ones. benji snorted, then you must be doing something right, he said. do you agree with that? you recently quit twitter because of this craziness like
12:55 am
this. >> but, look, you know that feeling of depending upon what segment you do, then social media can light up with calling you names and trying to put you into a box and you're either a conservative maniac or you're a liberal left wing nut. i do think there's something to that, then you must be doing something right, if you get, you know, hate from both sides. it is unpleasant regardless of what side it comes from, but i think that people do have a hard time fitting me into some box, which i've always seen as sort of a feather in my cap. >> don't you hate it though because sometimes twitter and the outrage -- and it is not always real, it is faux out race, it creates and writes a false narrative that's not true about it and your work? >> sure. that's why i broke up with twitter. i wrote a dear john letter to them because i was tired of the toxicity. in the book i let people know social media ends up being a character in the book. our protagonist has to deal with the social media hate and the lug.
12:56 am
that's also a drug when you log on and people feed you with, oh, you're so wonderful, that's so great, that affects your brain center and affects you in a way. in the book i took verbatim from my account, because my imagination couldn't make up something more vivid than what was in real life. >> can we talk about fluke that you mentioned and the tweet you mentioned, his name is victor fluke, an outside presidential candidate coming straight from hollywood, a huge personality. people think it is based on trump, but it is not actually. >> well, the genesis of this character -- i started writing this book in 2012 during a different crazy presidential race, and just to remind people -- >> we forget about that. >> we forget about that because, you know, 2016 eclipses everything, but 2012 was a fascinating race. there was, just to remind people, michelle balkman was in the race, rick perry, rick s santorum, herman kaine, newt
12:57 am
gingrich. i started writing it because my boss at the time, roger ames, liked what herman cain stood for, he liked he was an outside man p an outsider, a pizza magnet with this simple economic plan of nine-nine-nine and all of these quips. >> i was just writing nine-nine-nine. >> and he was funny and quippy, so i got the idea for this outsider, larger-than-life presidential candidate who the boss in the book wants to keep having on, so you might have to treat him with ki gloves so he comes back on. >> it is interesting, you were going back over 2012 and nine-nine-nine came up. what was his name -- i forget the third, and now he is head of that department, perry. and then michelle bachman was tip of the spear. he had all of these characters, 47% -- >> mitt romney. >> got mitt romney in trouble. we forget about those things.
12:58 am
>> right. in fact it was a cellphone catching mitt romney saying that, and that also -- there's a chapter in there motivated by some of that. >> it is really fascinating. it is so good to see you, my friend. >> you too. >> best of luck with in. >> thank you, my dear. great to see you. >> good luck with that guy in the morning. >> chris cuomo? he's not that bad. he has really good days and he's funny and also handsome. >> you can say that because you have to work with him, i don't. >> oh, my. you love him! you guys have a bromance. >> he is my bratty kid brother. make sure you go out and get her novel. that's it for us tonight. thanks for watching. i will see you back here tomorrow.
12:59 am
1:00 am
debate is underway, but just after one vote it is clear republicans have a long road ahead if they want to pass a new health care law. >> i am disappointed in the attorney general. >> a stinging public rebuke of the attorney jeb. the president trump now being urged to tone down his tv and twitter attacks on jeff sessions. >> and a hero's welcome for john mccain. the

71 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on