Skip to main content

tv   United Shades of America  CNN  December 22, 2017 10:00pm-11:00pm PST

10:00 pm
>> oh, man, she's tough. >> show some respect, man. she ain't j.lo, and you ain't the boy next door. let's go. enough of that. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com i had never really thought about the difference between being an immigrant and a refugee. on a very basic, basic level i learned an immigrant is someone who moves willingly for the most part from one place to another whereas a refugee is like i've got to get the [ muted ] out of it. yes, thank you. thank you for somebody dropping the f bomb on me. an immigrant is when you move out of your apartment at noon. and a refugee you move at 2:00 in the morning. because you don't want the landlord to know you're leaving. where did they go? [ laughter ] and a colonialist shows up at your apartment and goes this is nice, i'm going to stay. i'm going to stay. i'm going to stay. [ laughter ] that's my new favorite reaction. "tell them!"
10:01 pm
that's my new favorite, tell them! >> my name is w. kamau bell. as a comedian i've made a living finding humor in the parts of america i don't understand. and now i'm challenging myself to dig deeper. i'm on a mission to reach out and experience all the cultures and beliefs that add color to this crazy country. this is the "united shades of america." ♪ america the statue of liberty, look at her. she's one of the most iconic and important images in america. she can only be more american if her torch burned pure coal. her full name is liberty enlightening the world. the french gave her to us after the civil war as a symbol of liberty and equality, and as a way to say, now that you went through that hell, it can only be up from here. ♪ to shining sea but it wasn't until emma
10:02 pm
lazarus's poem was added to lady liberty in 1903 that she took on the meaning she has today. since then the words "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" have been a fancy way to say there ain't no party like an american party because an american party don't stop. well, just like an evite sent out to too many people, some of the hosts are trying to take the invitation back. >> we can't let these people come into our country. >> reporter: and most of us sure aren't getting that plus one. yep. once again our country has developed a case of selective amnesia when it comes to the basic premise of what made this country great. i mean, made this country what it is. america has always been a country built by lots of different people of various backgrounds. but for some reason this is really hard for some of us to remember. and fear has always been at the root of discrimination against immigrants and refugees. it's hard to imagine now but
10:03 pm
catholicism was once seen as a threat to the nation as publications across the country spread xenophobic and nativist sentiment about irish, german and italian catholics and how they were endangering the country. sound familiar? it should, because we now have an administration that ran and won largely on a xenophobic platform, labeling undocumented mexicans as rapists and banning muslims from coming into our country. the irony is that americans in general have never been more supportive of immigrants. in 1994, 63% of americans thought that immigrants were a burden to society. but in 2015, 51% felt that they were a strength. but the minority is so vocal that they want to change our country back to 1994. back when ace of base had the number one single of the year even though we all know "gin and juice" is the far superior song. holler at me, snoop. i'm in washington, d.c., and i
10:04 pm
can't think of a better place to explore our country's conflicting views on immigration. we're here in d.c. talking about immigration. young lady, do you have any thoughts about all this? >> i don't want to walk. >> that's good. i don't want a wall. she said it better than all of us, i don't want a wall. >> i mean, i'm a baptist pastor so i believe we need to protect our citizens of the united states. but at the same aspect do we not all come from immigrants? >> yes. >> yeah, let's protect our citizens. but let's not destroy families, dreams, and hopes either. >> i say this to people all the time. but they normally aren't pastors. but preach. [ laughter ] >> they're saying, no, we don't want to do that. it's just like -- upsetting to me. >> yeah. disrespectful to this guy right here. >> i know. >> yeah, yeah. >> this fine chap. >> yeah, this fine chap. that's the first time i've ever heard mlk described as a fine chap. i think he'd be okay with that. >> yeah, i think he'd like it. >> look, even his statue's start to smile a little bit. >> standing there made me think about what he would do during
10:05 pm
times like these. marches and protests aren't just things people read about any more. i can imagine the 86-year-old dr. king right there wearing a "black lives matter" t-shirt, retweeting the aclu, listening to kendrick lamar, among the thousands fighting for the rights of others and against people like this. >> hail trump. hail our people, hail victory. >> it just so happened on my first day here in d.c., the alt-right was also in town, and no one represents the current anti-immigration movement in the u.s. quite like the national policy institute, and they are here holding their annual conference. so like i do, i'm just going to pop by and see what's going on over there. >> hello, everyone. morning. i've just had a headache for a week. i don't think it's about from having too much to drink last night. it's, it's just the winning. [ laughter ] it's too much winning. >> the man with the winning headache is richard spencer.
10:06 pm
he's also the man who gave us the term alt-right, and richard's ultimate dream is to create a white ethno state which makes his dream the exact opposite of my dream. >> what is that going to be? when obama won it was like a party. i thought i'd be like nervous or afraid. but i feel like they might start selling timeshares. >> trump and steve bannon are not alt-right people. they're certainly not white nationalists. trump in particular is endlessly going on about how much he loves minorities and tacos and so on and so forth. white nationalists tend not to do that. >> that taco hater right there is peter brimelow, a writer and former editor at "forbes" magazine and the "national review." he's kind of the cub scout leader of the alt-right. >> some of you may have seen the news of vice president, he was booed repeatedly by the audience.
10:07 pm
if anybody had done anything like this to barack obama, the media would have lynched them. we can use that word lynch now because we don't have to worry about political correctness. there is no, quote-unquote, diverse america. there is only white america, the people who voted, voted for trump. they are america. everyone else is just along for the ride. [ applause ] >> this american ride is making me nauseous. maybe i'm not tall enough to ride it. time to talk to the people here. and out of about 200 people in the room, i would guess there were like five who were women. let's start there. where are the women? >> generally political movements are men, right? >> with black people in the civil rights movement that was dominated by women. >> well, they're there, they just might not -- >> they're not here. >> don't misjudge. if we were to start going across the country there would be loads of women -- >> so we're going to one of those. >> i don't know. let's see. >> so i'm still being vetted? so, if the future of this country goes the direction you want it, what does the country look like?
10:08 pm
because america was -- the whole statue of liberty thing, give me your tired. >> i don't like that. if mass immigration was happening and all these people came in and they were like i love white people, i want to be friends with white people, i think it would be different. and if they were a good quality of people that weren't collecting welfare and breeding crime. it's about quality. >> what, like immigrants actually start new businesses -- >> maybe. i'd have to see that. >> you want to see that? then stand by, lady. here's just one example. over a quarter of all main street businesses are started by immigrants. >> isn't the wall a little bit of an expensive thing to be focusing our efforts on? >> illegal aliens are a massive drain on both the -- they're a drain in terms of labor. that's predominantly what's coming in from mexico and latin america. illegal aliens. and of course the immigration law will free up the average american more prosperous. >> i feel like you just performed a blog for me. i feel like that was like matt's blog live. where were you born? >> portland, oregon. >> i guess it all makes sense
10:09 pm
because portland, oregon is kind of a white ethno state. >> yeah, i guess it is. but i don't like it, because it's a lot of lefties. >> this separating the races is getting complicated. which white is the right white. pleased to meet you. thank you. >> i'm not going to say anything. there's a lot of jokes in here. i'm not going to say any of them because i'm a nice-hearted person. [ laughter ] >> being that i had good home training, i'm keeping an open mind to my interview with richard spencer. if you aren't familiar with his work, you may remember him from this viral hit. >> it's become kind of a symbol -- >> just to be clear, that was a white guy that hit him. maybe that guy was mad about this. >> only white people can support what we call western civilization. >> whew, you know what, my blood pressure is rising just seeing all this. >> i'm so nervous. >> let's take a break and get back to richard later.
10:10 pm
♪ master precise skinny™ liner from maybelline new york. our first always sharp, waterproof gel liner. all-day wear for precise eye looks. sleek. defined. on point. maybelline's master precise skinny™. make it happen. ♪ maybelline new york ♪ ♪ if you've got the time welcome to the high life. ♪ we've got the beer
10:11 pm
♪ miller beer but when we brought our daughter home, that was it. now i have nicoderm cq. the nicoderm cq patch with unique extended release technology helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. it's the best thing that ever happened to me. every great why needs a great how.
10:12 pm
i am totally blind. and non-24 can make me show up too early... or too late. or make me feel like i'm not really "there." talk to your doctor, and call 844-234-2424. for 100 years, heritage and innovation have made gillette the #1 shave in america. now get gillette quality at lower prices -- every day. brought to you by 1200 workers in boston -- we're proud of giving you our best. gillette. the best a man can get.
10:13 pm
helping small businesses.ut, jamie -- damage your vehicle? we got you covered. [ glass shatters ] property damage? that's what general liability's for. what?! -injured employee? -ow. workers' comp helps you pay for a replacement. what's happening? this is carla. how's it going? and if anything comes up, our experts are standing by. ♪ boo! if there's one thing i've heard about immigrants almost as often as i hear accusations of fake news, it's that immigrants are here to steal our jobs. but the reality is that these people aren't taking jobs. they're making jobs. a great example of this is right here in silver spring, maryland. okay, so where am i right now? what is this?
10:14 pm
>> we're a coworking space, and we do provide office space, shared space for businesses trying to get to the next level. >> so you're an enabler in the best way possible. >> yeah. >> yeah, yeah. >> definitely. >> leslie teta is a cameroonian immigrant who developed this incubator for african businesses. >> about 70% of our member base founders. we currently have about 50 start-ups, each doing some amazing work. >> there is all this energy in here that is coming out of something you created. it's got to feel good. >> it's good to see this. 50% of silicon valley companies are started by immigrants. >> yep, you heard that right. about 50% of the highest valued start-ups in america were founded by immigrants. and they're worth about $168 billion. but it's not just at the high end that immigrants are having an impact. in 2014 people born in countries outside of america owned close to 3 million businesses many of them small mom and pop stores which have created $65 billion in revenue. it doesn't take a nobel prize winning economist to know that's a lot of money.
10:15 pm
and in case you still think they're just stealing jobs, these businesses employ almost 6 million hard-working americans. if you're eating a falafel while you watch this on google play in your tesla, post a selfie on instagram and be sure to thank your immigrant brothers and sisters. #keep those borders open. >> hi, everybody. my name is w. kamau bell. we're here spending the week in maryland to talk about immigration and people coming into the country. i don't know if you've heard, but some people aren't that excited about it in this country. [ laughter ] am i breaking any news here? [ laughter ] we had a regime change recently. everybody in this room has made a decision to be here on some level. so, who would like to talk about that? >> hi, my name is kiwani. i moved to the united states from cameroon. being a creative in cameroon is really not accepted. i was a banker back home. today i'm a fashion designer. >> i see right there fashion design, yes. i wanted to clap. [ applause ] i stopped myself. i was like why are you stopping yourself, brother?
10:16 pm
>> i think the accomplishment of having lupita nyong'o wearing two of her dresses to "good morning america" and to the ellen show. it is definitely one of those things -- >> now we're really clapping. [ applause ] i could tell there was something to clap for. you just hadn't told me yet. wow, that's amazing. where do you see yourself in five years with where you're at today? yes, sir. >> yes, i started an african newspaper about nine years ago. and going forward i want to be able to establish an african media empire, radio and television all under one roof. thank you. [ laughter ] >> i like how modest and quiet you were. i want to establish an empire. thank you. [ laughter ] i plan to take over the world. thank you, thank you. these times that we live in, i'm just happy to be in the room with happy black people. can i just say that? [ laughter ] who are proud to be americans. i'm not in those rooms a lot, so. obviously immigrants are good for the economy.
10:17 pm
what about all the worries people have about all these different cultures living together and having weekly race wars? i can't think of a better place to find an answer than nearby gaithersburg, maryland, the most diverse city in america. i'm here to talk to the mayor, who immigrated all the way from -- florida? yep, the mayor of the most diverse city in america looks like he walked straight out of a "leave it to beaver" episode. in a community as diverse as this do you personally ever get pushback over the fact that -- >> that i'm the whitest guy you've seen lately? [ laughter ] >> maybe the reddest guy i've seen. [ laughter ] >> that's funny. >> yeah. >> not yet. but you know, we have a five-member city council and sometimes i do get comments about the city council. although the city council does have some diversity, we can always do better. >> i think that should be america's new motto. we can do better. >> yeah. i agree. >> forget about great again. we can do better. >> let's thrive together.
10:18 pm
>> how do you as a mayor leading such a diverse community -- how do you approach it? >> over the past couple years we've been named the most diverse city in america, it's sort of been like finding hidden treasure, but it's not something we consciously sought to do. >> yeah, you don't have a list of ethnic groups and go, we need some -- how many of these do we got? we need to order up a few more of those. >> exactly. >> why do you think it works here? because it certainly doesn't work in other communities when immigrants come in. >> is there a magic formula? i don't know. i think it comes down to just knowing, being involved with, respecting, interacting with people other than people who look like yourself. there was a 4th of july a couple years ago where we had a cover band playing and they were playing pharrell's "up all night to get lucky." >> i like a mayor who knows that song, first of all. i appreciate that. >> there is a group of maybe 50 or 60 young people in front of the stage. every color you can imagine. and they break out into a line dance, like a country and western dance to a disco funk song. that's gaithersburg. >> i do believe one of the
10:19 pm
secrets to diversity and inclusion, happiness is more pharrell. >> i agree. >> i was happy to talk to the mayor. even though i think he may have confused the electric slide with line dancing, but let me get out and hear what the people say about gaithersburg. >> what's your name, sir? >> carlos solis. >> nice to meet you. >> nice to meet you too. >> so, do you live here? >> yes, i've been living here since 1988. this is a great town to live. many different cultures living together, working together. >> so people get along here? >> oh, definitely. >> you love this town, huh? >> i love it. i can't find any other place to live. >> now, a lot of people right now in america feel like we're divided and we're separated, and a lot of people are worried about immigration and people coming in and are afraid that people are going to come in and make america less america. what do you think about that? >> i don't see that. maybe just a few people trying to scare other people. i don't feel that way. i feel the way that everybody should be working together to united.
10:20 pm
let's tell everyone, this is the country for everyone. whoever wants to come in here and work hard, working together. >> yeah. >> you know, white, color, spanish, whoever wants to come and help this country, welcome to this country. work together. let's be united. what about it? >> can i give you a hug, sir? >> sure. >> that was beautiful, that was beautiful. >> no, this is the place it should be like that, you know? doesn't matter what color we are. >> yeah. so even though we both -- >> we're the same. >> that's true. if you get a tan, you'll be black. thank you, sir. >> thank all of you. thank you. bye. >> if carlos is not the show, i don't know what the show is. that's the whole -- he just summed up the entire show. we can go off the air now, we're done. this is the final episode. that's the show. go to commercial, come back, bourdain. i'm done. good luck, america.
10:21 pm
run, jthe power of in to tempur-pedic sleep with our 90-day trial and being the highest ranked mattress in customer satisfaction by jd power, it's easy to love. find your exclusive retailer at tempurpedic.com
10:22 pm
10:23 pm
10:24 pm
or a little internet machine? it makes you wonder: shouldn't we get our phones and internet from the same company? that's why xfinity mobile comes with your internet. you get up to 5 lines of talk and text at no extra cost. so all you pay for is data. see how much you can save. choose by the gig or unlimited. xfinity mobile. a new kind of network designed to save you money. call, visit, or go to xfinitymobile.com. as a dad, i think it's important to remember that many of the refugees are children. and i don't mean that they come here with their parents. many come by themselves. in late 2013 to early 2014 roughly 40,000 children fled violent and war-torn parts of
10:25 pm
central america. president obama created a program to let them in the country, but it faced strong opposition from some who claimed these kids were using refugee status as an excuse to simply immigrate here. to that i say, who gives a shit? but let me talk to someone who has a more nuanced perspective on all this. attorney scott rose represents these kids. i want to talk to him about one of his clients in particular, williams guevera who escaped from el salvador when he was just 16. first tell me how did you meet williams? >> williams was my first client. >> is williams' story a typical story? >> absolutely. in 2014 we had something like 70,000 unaccompanied minors come into this country. that surge has since trailed off. but still there are these children in great pain. there's this great misperception that these are ambitious adults that are running towards the american dream. in fact, these are traumatized children fleeing from personal nightmare. >> yeah. >> and these kids know how
10:26 pm
dangerous the journey is. i had a client who was raped on the way. i had a client who was kidnapped at gunpoint for ransom. they know what they're getting. they know what they're headed towards. >> they come to this country through those horrible circumstances. how does that kid end up testifying -- like how does he even get it in his head -- >> it's a miracle. when williams testified for this bill, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. he was so courageous to share his pain. >> before williams's testimony refugee children over 18 in maryland could be automatically deported. the new law changed that age to 21. williams saved lives. one life in particular. >> he knew his sister would be deported because she was just about to turn 21, and if that bill didn't pass, she was going to go back and be killed. so he was testifying for his sister's life. >> wow. >> people do amazing things out of love. >> yeah. he's a hero. >> he's a hero. >> yeah. and you're something we don't hear enough about in this society, a good lawyer.
10:27 pm
[ laughter ] >> it's not often that you get to meet a real-life hero. williams's story is as inspirational as it is harrowing. where do you live out here? >> i live in baltimore county. i live with my sister right now. >> you live with your sister. that's good. >> yes. >> how did you end up in this country? >> i lived with my parents in el salvador. the main reason i leave is my relationship with my dad. he used to drink and he got really aggressive. when i was around 16, he beat me with the back of machete. i have scars on my hands and my leg too. >> oh, my goodness. so how did you get here exactly? how did you travel? >> i come by my own. i come without coyote. there's a lot of parts that really mark my life. like we walk in the desert for eight hours. >> eight hours. >> i actually get in the train
10:28 pm
and i almost fall off. one man grabbed me and he was holding me almost all the way. >> hold up, wait a minute. we need to stop because williams's calm demeanor is not effectively communicating the hell he endured. the train he mentioned has no handrails, causing many people to fall off, losing limbs and often their lives. fittingly, it's called the train of death, "el tren de la muerte." that's just part of williams's 2,500 mile journey. how did you end up getting across the border? >> we actually crossed a river. and we get into the united states. >> okay. what did you do next? >> immigration got me and they took me to the detention center. they took guys who look older and made them say they are over 18 so they can send them back. >> oh, because if you're over 18 they can just send you back? >> yes. they took me to a room too and wanted me to say it. that i was over 18. >> and you wouldn't say it? >> no, i just don't say anything. >> so, and i heard because of you they've changed the law. >> yes.
10:29 pm
i went to testify mostly because i wanted to help my sister. she come here, too, because my father tried to kill her with a machete. that was like the main point why she decide to leave the country. >> yeah. what was it like to testify? that had to be -- >> i was pretty nervous, but i thought maybe i can help some people, people who come here not because they really want to. it's like they need to escape from situations like mine. and people still say it's in the -- send him back. >> we call those people haters. do you know that word? >> yes, i know. >> that's an important word when we come to america. that's an important english word because there's a lot of haters and you have to deal with them. but it seems like you're doing good. >> yes. >> thank you for talking to me. i appreciate it. thank you. ♪ give a little bit ♪ ♪ give a little bit... -hello. ♪ give a little bit...
10:30 pm
♪ ... of your love to me oh, haha. ♪ there's so much that we need to share ♪ ♪ so send a smile and show that you care ♪ ♪ i'll give a little bit of my love to you ♪ it has long been called storm of tiny bubbles, the champagne of beers. ♪ if you've got the time welcome to the high life. ♪ we've got the beer ♪ miller beer booking a flight doesn't have to be expensive. just go to priceline. it's the best place to book a flight a few days before my trip and still save up to 40%. just tap and go... for the best savings on flights, go to priceline. is america's number-one you kmotorcycle insurer. yeah, she does purr! best bike i ever owned! no, you're never alone,
10:31 pm
because our claims reps are available 24/7. we even cover accessories and custom parts. we diget an early start! took the kids to soccer practice. you want me to jump that cactus? all right. aah! that lady's awesome. i don't see a possum! grandma's. aunt stacy's. what are the reasons you care for your heart? qunol coq10 with 3x better absorption has the #1 cardiologist recommended form of coq10 to support heart health. qunol, the better coq10. when heartburn hits fight back fast with tums chewy bites. fast relief in every bite. crunchy outside. chewy inside. tum tum tum tum tums chewy bites.
10:32 pm
[ splash ] [ horn sounds ] dang! ok, i gotta run. hey, wait, there's something i need to tell you- dang. dang! dang! dang. dang. see zero in a whole new way. get zero down, zero deposit, zero first month's payment, and zero due at signing on select volkswagen models.
10:33 pm
now with the people first warranty. be staying in their home countries, but they have no choice other than to leave. for some reason, refugees are a favorite scapegoat for fear mongers because we all know
10:34 pm
there is nothing more scary than people seeking basic human rights. and lately there's been no group of people who have inspired more misplaced misunderstanding and fear than the refugees coming from syria. a country that has been decimated by war since 2011. i'm going to talk to muhammad, who recently escaped syria, and fayeed, his translator. >> where are we right now? >> this is ecdc, it's an organization that help refugees resettle in the states. >> how long have you been in the country? >> translator: i've been here for like a month and a half. >> a month and a half. how are you finding it so far? >> [ speaking foreign language]. >> so for people here who don't understand what's going on in syria and what's going on where you're from, could you explain what it's like there right now? >> [ speaking foreign language].
10:35 pm
>> it's hard to overstate the horror of war in syria. with the number that's constantly rising, some groups estimate that up to 470,000 people have died since 2011, with up to 5 million civilians fleeing the country. of all the countries in the world, why america? >> where do you live now? >> maryland. >> maryland. i got that. [ laughter ] my arabic's coming in. and when did you come here? >> 2009. >> wow. i mean, that's still -- he's very new, but you're still new, yeah. >> yeah. i am one of the christians in iraq. and we were like one of the minorities in iraq. you know, when the war started, we were threatened and we had to leave. and then we left to syria at first.
10:36 pm
we spent six years there, waiting to come to here. and then our papers didn't work in syria, so we moved to jordan, and then we applied to come to america. like it took us about six months to go through the process. >> so when you hear people talk about we need extreme vetting, i imagine you feel like i've been extremely vetted. >> actually, i was extremely vetted. but even if you go to different countries around us, like when i came into syria i was extremely vetted. and then when i went to jordan, i was also extremely vetted. >> what are your hopes for being here? >> translator: i like to learn english and, you know, to live and settle and have kids. >> that says it all. >> you hear that? refugees stealing everything, even the american dream. oops, i started channeling rush limbaugh for a second.
10:37 pm
muhammad and fayeed's stories are inspiring, but for some refugees coming to the u.s. isn't the end of their problems. it's the beginning of a whole new set of them. and that's especially true for the lgbtq community. i'm headed to meet with ruby corrado, who runs casa ruby, a home for people in the lgbtq community who need a safe space. when lgbtq immigrants come to you, what are the challenges they're facing right now? >> it's quite interesting that washington, d.c. is very far from the border, right? and every year we support almost 600 lgbt immigrants from across the globe. and it's just the same pattern. they were different, and people deemed them less valuable, so therefore they want to go where they're loved, where they're accepted, where they're embraced. and they find their way to casa ruby. >> so what are the kind of things you experienced when you got here at 16? >> i ended up being in the
10:38 pm
washington, d.c. area homeless with no resources. eventually i transitioned my gender and things got worse because i couldn't find employment. so, i fell into situations of human trafficking and slavery. i went to live in a house where the only time i could leave the house was to go to work. the family will actually take me to work, pick me up. and then the only time i will get to really go out into the world was to cash my check so i could give it back to them. and even in that situation i was thankful because i was not waking up to gunshots. i was not waking up to bombs. and at some point i accepted that was part of the journey. >> you're talking about human trafficking and slavery in this country? >> yes. >> a lot of times people think that's happening somewhere else. you're talking about here in the united states of america. when someone comes your way and they have been abused that way through human trafficking or
10:39 pm
slavery, you have to really rebuild them as a person. >> my job is to restore dignity. society told them that they were not beautiful, that they were not amazing, that they will never make it. so a big part of my job is to reassure them that they were lied to. and once i'm able to do that, i want them to dream. there was a time in my life where i could only survive by dreaming that one day my life would be better, because my reality was unbearable. so by dreaming that one day i will become someone, i could make my day go much easier. so all i do is remind my kids, the people who come to this organization, that their dreams one day will become true. and i do everything that i can. so the things that i learn that i just pass them on to them. >> you're doing amazing work.
10:40 pm
i'm sorry there's -- well, also answer your phone. >> well, this is a blocked call. it may be a hater. so i don't answer blocked calls. >> hater-free zone. >> oh, yes. >> safe space. thank you. the food smells delicious. i'm like, let's wrap this up. >> well, come on, honey. get some food. >> it ain't ready yet. >> she don't always do all the ingredients like this. she's really showing off. >> there's a cooking show happening over here. >> this is transgender betty crocker, honey. >> ruby is awesome. who wouldn't want people like her in this country to help make things easier on people who are struggling? >> we're here to talk about white privilege. we want to bring it back.
10:41 pm
i am totally blind. and non-24 can throw my days and nights out of sync, keeping me from the things i love to do. talk to your doctor, and call 844-214-2424. master precise skinny™ liner from maybelline new york. our first always sharp, waterproof gel liner. all-day wear for precise eye looks. sleek. defined. on point. maybelline's master precise skinny™. make it happen. ♪ maybelline new york
10:42 pm
but when we brought our daughter home, that was it. now i have nicoderm cq. the nicoderm cq patch with unique extended release technology helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. it's the best thing that ever happened to me. every great why needs a great how.
10:43 pm
let's get the one with the candy canes. well, you know, the wrapping paper doesn't make the holidays. it's what's inside that counts. it's a phone for mom. okay, well, it's also what's inside the phone that counts, too. circuits? no, the network. so the network is inside the phone? well, no, the network's around the phone. and verizon is the most awarded network ever. that's why more people count on it. here you go. (announcer) a gift is only as good as the network it's on. so give any google pixel 2 and get $300 off with no trade-in required.
10:44 pm
welcome back to the alt-right conference, where i'm going to have a chat with richard spencer, the man who actually coined the phrase "alt-right" and who openly advocated for a 50-year ban on non-european immigrants and also the man who said that the new england patriots super bowl win was a victory for the white race. do you think the guy who scored the winning touchdown feels that way? he's black. >> i'm so nervous. not since i talked to the klan.
10:45 pm
>> kamau. >> what's up, sir? >> good to see you, my man. >> good to see you. yeah. >> what's up? did you enjoy the conference? >> yeah, it's been quite eye-opening. yeah, yeah, yeah. >> do you have any surprises? >> yeah, i mean do you want to sit down and talk? >> sure. >> while richard dresses nice and is friendly enough, he's actually the face of white supremacy's new more, let's say, optics-friendly side. who say, we don't hate you, bro, would you maybe like just scram? >> so i've run events before. how is this going for you today? >> it feels a bit like you're a chicken with your head cut off. i'll probably crash at some point. >> i would imagine. >> but not after we've lived it up tonight. >> is there a party tonight? >> of course there's a party. this is the alt-right. we're not fuddy-duddy conservatives who go to sleep at 9:00 p.m. and get their mom to tuck them in at night. like we go out and have fun. >> okay. so where are the ladies at? >> there are some ladies here. >> i know. but you said we have ladies here. there was probably like ten who
10:46 pm
had their hands up. wouldn't it help your cause if on that stage during the press conference there were a couple women? >> we're not going to bring women up just for the sake of women. if you look at the history of philosophy or politics, it's a man's game. the fact is men and women are different. we are more interested in power, we're more interested in exploration and domination. women are more suited to like maintaining the household. >> you hear that, ladies? the alt-right wants you in the kitchen. >> you're the guy who coined the term. you're leading the conference. what does it mean to you to be alt-right? >> if you would sum it up in one word, i would say it's identity. and that identity is the foundation of everything. and also i put for this mantra race is real. race matters. and race is the foundation of identity. so if i were to ask you who are you, just don't think about it. just answer. >> no, no. i would say i'm a black man. those two come back to back. >> but if you ask a white person would they say i'm a white man? >> no. >> no. like in a way, we want to be as smart as african-americans about identity.
10:47 pm
>> we're happy to help you. so i think white people do need to talk about their whiteness more. and we're here doing it. >> we're here to talk about white privilege. we want to bring it back. make white privilege great again. >> so you're a fan of white privilege? >> oh, yeah. >> what do you love about white privilege? >> it looks great, like you know, i mean the people are good looking and, you know, nice suits, great literature. like, yeah, i just want to bathe in white privilege. the greatest, most awesome thing. >> it's working out for you. >> well, yeah. i want to expand white privilege. we live in a world where every spring google and facebook and apple release these diversity numbers. and they'll be like, it's amazing, guys. we hired less white men this year. we think that it's inherently wonderful for white people to have less power. oh, that's great. oh, i'm glad. i hope the new james bond is going to be a black guy. that would be great for the world. >> isn't that really -- is that a real big deal if james bond is a black guy? is that really like -- do you
10:48 pm
care? >> for me, yeah, that might be -- >> that's too much? >> that's too much. [ laughter ] >> i get it. i look at you, you probably have dreams of being the next james bond. i see the suit. you've got that daniel craig thing about you. so you say that america is better when it's a white country? >> i would say wherever europeans are on the earth, it's better. we bring a level of civilization and we bring also something that's unique to us. >> is white better period or is it just better for you because you're white? >> you know, you love your own. europe does -- we're unique. but also, who would have sailed their ships into uncharted waters? >> literally every civilization that's been by the water. >> we got to the moon on our own. i think we can do it again. >> okay. >> i'm betting he hasn't seen "hidden figures." maybe we'll go together. >> as peter thiel said at the republican convention, we could have gone to mars, instead we invaded iraq. >> i think neil degrasse tyson would agree with you. we should go to mars. and he's a black astrophysicist.
10:49 pm
these are subjects that all americans have opinions on, you know. and all americans of all races can help us get there, you know. people say this, that america is a country of immigrants. what does that mean to you? >> that's bullshit. ultimately america is a country of colonists, a country of frontiersmen, a country of the cowboy. it's a country of the conqueror. >> but weren't cowboys immigrants basically? weren't they -- >> immigrant is someone like you're coming from somewhere usually as an individual with a family and you're integrating into a pre-established culture. like people who came to north america, i mean, they were taking a leap into the unknown. it's totally different. history of democrats it's kind of lame. it's like, you know what i mean, a bunch of people, they wash up, scurry around. oh, can i have a job? >> nope, they're probably just trying to survive. and i think we have a holiday that covers that. how do we, for a lack of a better word, execute this future
10:50 pm
america? how does it happen? how do you get the undocumented immigrants out of the country? like literally how do you do it? >> i think that's quite easy. >> how do you do it? >> i think there would be a tremendous amount of self-deportation if you set a new tone. and i think donald trump has already set the new tone. obviously a wall, this would be a symbol of this is us and not them. >> wouldn't that be a crazy waste of money? >> it will put a lot of people to work. >> i've seen the staff of those construction sites. >> i think if trump built a wall, he's not going to hire illegal immigrants. >> he has before, but you think -- >> it's hard not to in this economy, i don't blame donald trump for hiring some illegal immigrants. i will say something that you might find politically incorrect. >> i've been here all day. i'll built up a good tolerance. >> those people who did immigrate here, i'm not saying they should or should not have, they immigrated here precisely because it is a white country. it has a higher standard of
10:51 pm
living, why would they want to change it. you don't want to turn sbiet a mexico, they left opportunity. >> a lot of people say we come -- i come here because i want opportunity. but the land of opportunity, you know, so they come here for that and then they add to the country by what they do, the businesses they found, the people they hire, but the culture they bring. like, that doesn't all add to the american story? isn't the food great because we have so many different people in >> now, that we have the recipes. >> believe me, i don't want to go to a thai restaurant and see all white people back there. like you say, 50 years of neutral integration, what does america look like? do white people move from one place to another. i mean, i'm really -- what does it look like, i just want to know. >> is there some kind of ideal that i have, some notion of reviving the roman empire, yes. that's a big dream. i think we should dream big.
10:52 pm
>> i feel like the cake on america is baked at this point. >> history is never over. we can change history. it's not something that's going to happen in the trump or in the foreseeable future. you're not going anywhere. you're in berkeley -- >> i'm in berkeley, writing my james bond black fiction. >> that is horrifying. >> wow. i horrified you. thank you, enjoy your party. where is it at, maybe i can go? come on, man, we had a good conversation. i can sit in the black section of the party, you know, by myself, so i can -- >> thank you. >> on second thought i'm glad i didn't get an invite. that's where this was taken. they partied like it was 1939. ♪ rest in pace, prince.
10:53 pm
>> i thought it was hilarious, the thing that bumped him out of the most was the fact that he was black james bond. who gives a shit? i don't understand. black james bond, that's -- you can clearly me see me because i didn't want to hurt the snowflake's feelings. run, jthe power of in to tempur-pedic sleep with our 90-day trial and being the highest ranked mattress in customer satisfaction by jd power, it's easy to love. find your exclusive retailer at tempurpedic.com blue moon is brewed mwith valencia orange peel, for a taste that shines brighter. nice man cave! man. oh! nacho? [ train whistle blows ] what?! -stop it! -mm-hmm. we've been saving a lot of money ever since we
10:54 pm
switched to progressive. this bar is legit. and now we get an even bigger discount from bundling home and auto. i can get used to this. it might take a minute. -swing and a miss! -slam dunk! touchdown! together: sports!
10:55 pm
10:56 pm
10:57 pm
in order to get rid of the bad alt-right taste out of my mouth, i'm attending a multicultural potluck. tell me what we're doing here tonight. >> this is our annual dinner. it's a potluck. it's multiethnic, it's diverse. >> this is like hamilton, without all the rap music. >> without all the rap music. >> i can't get a ticket to hamilton, but most people are here. >> i'm sure you know that some people who live in america, the idea that this america threatens them. >> so. >> what do you think about that? >> i think it's because what people don't know scares you a little. but if they spend time knowing the person that is different
10:58 pm
from you, you often figure out we have more in common. if it's ideal, it's open to the public. >> earlier this week, i went to a conference, around white people reclaiming america as a white country. they prioritized yoimmigration from european countries. that wasn't as much fun as this is. that was kind of a bummer and i never got comfortable. this version of america is the one i'm with. these are refugees that have been run from their homes to come here. but i don't feel sadness in here. >> happiness, isn't it? >> yeah, yeah. >> that's the thing about refugees, they're hopeful and always saying that tomorrow is a better day and they still saying this country is so great. >> they don't think this country needs to be great again.
10:59 pm
>> it's always great as it is. >> it's already great. >> keep america great. >> keep america great, and happy and open. >> i feel like their resilience is something for us to aspire to. if they're going to bet on us, we need to bet on ourselves. because this is america. >> this is the future of america. >> the future of america. >> and that's something we should all be happy about, because quiet as it's kept, we need immigrants and refugees more than they need us. >> we need people like leslie, william, ruby, and muhammad. people who are hungry to start businesses and create new communities and see our country through fresh eyes to remind us of the many things americans take for granted. without them, we won't continue to grow and innovate. but beyond that, letting immigrants and refugees into the u.s. is a moral issue. it's time we reread what that
11:00 pm
giant lady in new york city is saying. ask your self-do you want to go to that party or this party, one based on respect and love. now is the time to choose america. you know where you'll find me. this is the episode we did about the indigenous people of this country. [ cheers and applause ] >> a lot of times black people feel like in america, we own the deed to the suffering. every time i talk to indigenous people in this country, i'm just like, i'm not saying we haven't suffered, but you, you really -- you've more than done your part. i mean, even some of the expressions that come out of the history of native people in this country. indian giver? yeah, there you go. one black man sa,

16 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on