Skip to main content

tv   The Sixties  CNN  March 10, 2018 5:00pm-7:00pm PST

5:00 pm
but if you go to singapore, i said, said, mr. president, what happens with your drugs? we don't have a problem. we have a zero tolerance. we have a different type of people. they don't play games. i said, how are you doing on drugs? no problem. i said what do you mean no problem? we have a zero tolerance policy. what does that mean? that means if we catch a drug dealer, death penalty. [ applause ] >> and they don't have a problem. now remember this. if somebody goes and shoots somebody or kills somebody, they go away for hief and they can get the death penalty. one person. they shoot one person, kill some
5:01 pm
person, knife one person, the person dies, they get maybe the death penalty or maybe life in prison, no parole, right? okay? a drug dealer will kill 2,000, 3,000, 5,000 people during the course of his or her life. thousands of people are killed or their lives are destroyed. their families are destroyed. so you can kill thousands of people and go to jail for 30 days. they catch a drug dealer. they don't even put him in jail. think of it. you kill one person, you get the death penalty in many states or you get life in prison. think of it. you kill 5,000 people with drugs because you're smuggling them in and you're making a lot of money and people are dying and they don't even put you in jail. they don't do anything. but you might get 30 days, 60
5:02 pm
days, 90 days. you might get a year. but you are not going to get -- and then you wonder why we have a problem. that's why we have a problem, folks. [ applause ] >> and i don't think -- i don't think we should play games. i never did polling on that. i don't know if that's popular. i don't know if that's unpopular. probably you will have some people that say that's not nice. but these people are killing our kids and they're killing our families and we have to do something. we can't just keep setting up blue ribbon committees with your wife and your wife and your husband, and they meet and they have a meal and they talk. talk, talk, talk. two hours later, then they write a report. joe, look, that's what i got in washington. i got all these blue ribbon committees. everybody wants to be on a blue ribbon committee. and we have the opoid problem.
5:03 pm
for that we have to go after the drug companies. we have to. we have no choice. we have to go after the drug companies. we have no choice. so -- so i think it's a discussion we have to start thinking about. don't you agree? i don't know if this country is ready for it. but i think, rick, i think it is a discussion we have to start thinking about. so in oakland you have a mayor. and she -- and she told people that were going to be captured in a big raid that there is going to be a raid. can't do it. you can't do it, folks. we have got to get smart. my administration believes our cities should be safe havens for american people, not for american criminals, okay? not for american criminals. [ applause ]
5:04 pm
>> we're going after violent criminals, and we're going after vicious gang members. these people are so tough. but, you know, we had our ice agents out in long island. can you imagine? i grew up around queens in new york, which is sort of -- but i knew long island is sort of on the way, right? and places that i know so well are loaded up with ms-13. when your daughter walks home. and they don't use guns. you never saw guns. the nra happens to be very good people, by the way. they want to do the right thing. but they don't use guns. they don't use guns. they like to use knives and other things because it is much more painful. it is much slower. these are animals. and we send these guys out and we liberate those towns. we liberate them. hillary wouldn't have liberated those towns. we liberate those towns and the
5:05 pm
people are cheering. it is like a war. it is like if you got liberated as a country. can you imagine this is taking place in our country? it is crazy. so we are doing a great, great job. we are loving it. we're making tremendous progress. today i'm calling on congress to stop funding sanctuary cities so we can save american lives. [ applause ] the funding bill should not give precious and massive taxpayer grants to cities aiding and abetting criminals. that's what they do. [ applause ] >> look at the stories. look at the stories, how horrible they are. i'm also calling on congress to
5:06 pm
finally end chain migration and cancel the very dangerous visa lottery. [ applause ] now, again the democrats want to obstruct, so we're probably going to have to wait until after the election. we'll get rick in there and some other people in there and we'll be able to get it passed because these guys don't want to do anything. they don't want to do anything. you know, they criticize me because we have vacancies in certain administrative offices. we have 270 people that we cannot get the democrats to approve to come in and work in our administration. they're out there. we have the ambassador from germany. and i take heat. these guys are always saying you don't have an ambassador. because the democrats want to approve him. they obstruct. they delay. they do everything they can, and that's all they're good at. they have no ideas. they have no ideas.
5:07 pm
i mean, i look forward, i really do, i look forward to 2020 because i want to see how far left the person is going to be that we're going to run against. i look forward to it. i look forward to it. i really do. i really do. [ applause ] >> so together with your help, your voice, your vote, we can achieve more than anybody. i mean, again, i really believe, and i'm not saying this as bragadocious. but the tax bill, we also got one of the biggest fields in the world. that was a part of the tax bill. that alone would have been a massive thing to approve. we got one of the biggest fields in the world that will start working. [ applause ] >> and other things. so as long as we're proud of who
5:08 pm
we are and what we're fighting for, there is nothing beyond our reach, nothing. we need republicans put in office. we need senate. and i think we're going to do pretty well with the senate. the numbers are looking pretty good. did you see the numbers from two months ago. you' t see the numbers now and people are seeing what we're doing. they're seeing what we're doing. we stand on the shoulders of patriots who poured out their sweat and blood and tears and we're going to do things that nobody has been able to do. you know, it's very funny. every time i go out to speak, we have these massive crowds. and you know how many people, thousands were turned away. we let thousands in. but thousands were turned away. and i read one woman in the wall street journal. nice woman. i like her. she wrote an article about me. and, you know, i went to the
5:09 pm
wharton school of finance. that's a great school. the best business school, i think. it is one of the hardest schools. even in my day. and then you got to read how we're like, is trump a good speaker? she's talking about he uses a language that -- you know, how easy it is to be presidential? but you'd be so bored because i could stand up, right? [ applause ] >> i'm very presidential. ladies and gentlemen, thank you for being here tonight. rick will be a great, great congressman. he will help me very much. he's a fine man and yong is a
5:10 pm
wonderful wife. i just want to tell you on behalf of the united states of america that we appreciate your service. we appreciate your service. [ applause ] >> and to all of the military out there, we respect you very much. thank you. [ applause ] >> thank you. and then you go, god bless you and god bless the united states of america. thank you very much. [ applause ] see, that's easy. that's much easier than doing what i have to do. because -- but this is much more effective. if i came like a stiff, you guys wouldn't be here tonight. so i'm reading peggy.
5:11 pm
she's a nice woman. i like her. she doesn't like me much. but she's writing like i'm a kn neanderthal. they always talk about how they said we couldn't get elected. i say we because you came from areas that some of you never voted before, but you love the country. a great congressman from tennessee, they vote early. and the voting getting started. and he was at a speech i was making in pennsylvania, believe it or not. but he was there because one of his friends. and it was lou or one of his friends was there. so i didn't know him. and they had early voting in tennessee. and he said, you know, mr. president, and at that time i wasn't president but he called me that because he was happy. he said in tennessee, the early voting started, and i have been doing this stuff for 32 years. and i have never seen anything like it in my life.
5:12 pm
those people are coming out of the hills. they are coming out of the valleys. they are coming out of everything you can come out of. it is the most amazing thing and these are people that love the country but they never voted because they never saw anybody they wanted to vote for. and now they've got trump, trump, trump-pence. they got all the stuff. so i've never seen anything like it. [ applause ] usa! usa! usa! usa! usa! and then they ask, is he a good speaker? i don't know. i don't know if i'm a good speaker. but every time i have a 25,000 seat stadium, we fill it up. so it has to be right. maybe it is just pure ideas. i don't know. it is heart. oh, i love that guy. he said it's heart. we all have heart. but this man, great guy. great congressman, actually.
5:13 pm
he said all these years i have never seen a thing like it. he said, and i can only tell you i love the state of tennessee, but i can only tell you if the rest of the country is like tennessee, you are going to win this damn election and it is going to be easy. and we got 306-223. remember they said 270, you cannot -- remember the famous 270? he cannot win the election because he cannot get above 270. we needed 270. in fact, they couldn't get me to 270. so we had 269. they said he cannot win. he cannot get. remember? to 270. and we did. we got to 306. [ applause ] >> we got it. but remember, pennsylvania? that was really terrible. so i have never done this before. i did -- i ran for president.
5:14 pm
i never did it before. somebody said i have been running for the senate six times. what happened is pennsylvania, remember that night? so we were one point away. we were at 99% of the vote was tabulated. right? remember that? and if i lost ten points, there was no way you could lose because we were winning by thousands and thousands of votes. and one point doesn't have all those thousands of votes. they wouldn't call pennsylvania. they refused to call it. remember? and i wanted to win. i wanted to win with pennsylvania. it was so befitting because they had spent ten times more in the state of pennsylvania than i did. ten times more. and i'm waiting for pennsylvania. i'm saying, come on, pennsylvania, go. one point, and i win. and i have thousands more votes than i need. in other words, if every single person of the remainder voted
5:15 pm
against me, we win easily. they wouldn't call it. and then what happened? wisconsin came in. we won with wisconsin. which hadn't been won in decades. and then we won with michigan and then finally they were devastating. did you see they were crying? she's crying. oh, my god. oh, my god. oh. remember john king with the board? the red board is all red. it is like red. man, that board was red. meaning republican. and john king, he can't believe it. he goes, i think he just won the state of florida. yes, donald trump won the state of florida. then they go, you had a run. you know, the electoral college is much harder than the popular vote because popular vote you go the tree or four states. electoral college you have to go to 19. i went to maine four times
5:16 pm
because i needed one vote. they had one vote. that was going to be 269-270. the one vote was going to be very important. so i went to maine like four times. that's a lot. a lot of people said why are you doing it? first of all, i like the people of maine. but i needed one. but it was an incredible evening. one of the greatest nights in the history of television in terms of peep watchi ipeople wa have done a job. here is what's going to happen. let me give you the bad news. the bad news is they want to take it away from us. they want to take it away. they're doing everything they can to take it away. and that starts with the election coming up in a few months. and we have to win it. we have to get out and we have to win it. normally i would not come, except it is pennsylvania. i love it anyway. i love the people. i went to school. i went to wharton. i went to school here. i love pennsylvania.
5:17 pm
i mean, look, how could i not love it, right? [ applause ] >> somebody else would show up here and, rick, what would it be 50, 60 people in front, right? first of all, you wouldn't have this. you would have a little place. but i love this state. but i really feel strongly about rick. and i know him. i feel strongly about him. he's an incredible guy. number one, and i don't know that this is important, but to me it is, he's a very fine human being. he is a good person. he's really a good person. rick, come up here. [ applause ] >> he's a really good person. [ applause ] rick! rick!
5:18 pm
rick! rick! rick! rick! rick! rick! rick! rick! >> so he's a good person. i don't know if that means anything. does that mean anything? he's a very -- he's a very competent person. he's a very hard worker. he knows things that many people don't know. he understands north korea may be better than anybody. i spoke to him about north korea. he was there for a long time. and i spoke to him about north korea, and i'm telling you, i learned things that all of these great geniuses, all of these great experts on north korea did not tell me. this is a very extraordinary guy. we need him. we need republicans. we need the votes. otherwise, they're going to take away your taxes, your tax cuts. they're going to take away your second amendment rights. it's true. they're going to take away -- you know in the military, big military place, we just got
5:19 pm
approved $700 billion. we have to rebuild our military. $700 billion. far more than the other party. they will take that away, too. our military was really depleted. but i just want to know -- i want you to know i came tonight because this guy is special and beyond the vote it is very important. remember this: the other opponent, his opponent is not voting for us. he can say all he wants. there is no way he's voting for us ever, ever. and he could be nice to me, and he is. but there is no way he is ever voting for me. rick is going to vote for us all the time. all the time. [ applause ] >> so i want to ask rick to say a few words and, again, it is an honor to be with you. go out on tuesday and just vote like crazy. you got to get out there. the world is watching.
5:20 pm
i hate to put this pressure on you, rick. they're all watching because i won this district by like 22 points. that's a lot. that's why i'm here. look at all those red hats, rick. look at all those hats. that's a lot of hats [ applause ] >> and we just had a poll. we're more popular now than we were at election day. this guy should win easily, and he's going to win easy. you got to know him. he's an extraordinary person. go out and vote on tuesday for rick saccone. rick? >> do we love our president here in western pennsylvania? [ applause ] >> all right. you are watching live coverage of president donald trump campaigning on behalf of rick
5:21 pm
saccone in a special election in pennsylvania. running against the democrat connor land in which has turned out to be a surprisingly close race. this is a district that the president won by 22 points. but, yet, it is now considered a toss-up. and the president unscripted and unplugged. moments ago he enthralled this crowd. let's bring in our panel now to talk more about this. joining me on the set now in new york is julian and timothy and in washington is nathan gonzalez. gentlemen, there is a lot to talk about here. this reminded me of 2016 where there were echoes of candidate donald trump. but it also turned out to be somewhat of a greatest hits for the president, talking about what he views as some of his
5:22 pm
biggest accomplishments. i want to start out with his unveiling the campaign slogan for his 2020 campaign. he was here for a candidate that's running on tuesday but he's talking about 2020. this is the president of the united states unveiling his campaign slogan for 2020. take a listen. >> but our new slogan when we start running in, can you believe it, two years from now is going to be keep america great! keep america great! [ applause ] all right. so keep america great! he's going to move from make america great again to keep america great. tim, let's start with you. i mean, he was making the case by talking about what he's done with north korea, by talking about what he was able to accomplish with the olympics, by his plans for daca and building a wall on the southern border, he's making an argument that all
5:23 pm
these problems he talked about during the election have been fixed, right? >> first thing you have to say is that it is an impressive presentation in the sense that it's untethered to fact. but as a presentation, he showed no lack of confidence. he took great for everything. he listened. absolutely every positive thing he liked the public to believe in. but you listen to him and you think, wait, on the one hand you have said that china has been so good to us and we have just slapped tariffs on chinese aluminum and steel. >> right. >> when you parse it, it all falls apart, but as a presentation, it was extraordinarily strong. he looks great. he is full of energy. he seems very confident. he was in a fighting mood today. the fact that it doesn't reflect what's actually going on in the united states, that's beside the point. and my concern is the folks that are listening to him, if they don't have another source of
5:24 pm
information, might actually believe the world he is describing is reality. >> right. all right. well everybody standby. we are going to take a very short break and unpack this long speech. it went an hour and 25 minutes. we'll talk about the fact this was for an election coming up on tuesday. that's part of this conversation. our complete analysis coming up after this very short two-minute break ♪ you can't always get what you want of the original disease. i never felt i was going to die. we know so much about transplantation. and we're living longer. you cannot help but be inspired by the opportunities that a transplant would offer. my donor's mom says "you were meant to carry his story". i am totally blind. and non-24 can throw my days and nights out of sync, keeping me from the things i love to do.
5:25 pm
talk to your doctor, and call 844-214-2424. real milk has eight times more protein than almond milk. real milk has naturally occurring calcium, almond milk doesn't. and it also only has 2% almonds, which looks like this. what's the other 98%? get real, get naturally nutritious real milk. you can do it. we can do this. at fidelity, our online planning tools are clear and straightforward so you can plan for retirement while saving for the things you want to do today. -whoo!
5:26 pm
. welcome back. you are watching live on cnn in the news room where we just wrapped up coverage of donald trump's ral rly in support of rk saccone in a special election coming up on tuesday. jason carol is standing by. he was there for the president's speech. jason, i know that you covered quite a few donald trump rallies during the 2016 campaign. you must have felt like you were having a bit of deja vu there
5:27 pm
while you were watching this rally. >> reporter: yeah. sounded very much like a campaign style rally, and that's very much of what we heard tonight. straight out of the bag, president trump mentioned rick saccone but for at least 30, 40 minutes after that, before mentioning rick's name again he went over a landry list of his accomplishments in office. and what he's trying to do here, bottom line, you remember that he won this district by 20 points, he's trying to remind voters of why they voted for him in just overwhelming numbers. one of the slogans out here is promises made, promises kept. what he's doing is he's going back to the voters and saying, look, you voted for me. now you need to translate that energy to rick saccone because the reality is if you are going to listen to some of these polls, this race is too close for comfort.
5:28 pm
you have one of the recent polls showing rick up by only three points. donald trump himself said tonight, look, this race is close. he admitted that to the stage and encouraged everyone out here they will have to go out and vote and support the lines of rick saccone if he will have any hope in continuing with his agenda. the bulk of what we heard tonight was very much about donald trump rath effort than rick saccone, but the bottom line here is to get all of the energy that you saw in here tonight and get it behind rick saccone. >> all right. the president just wrapped up a campaign rally. we will take one more quick break. when we come back, our panel will break down what we heard the president talk about. you are watching cnn. and meet dave. hey. why is dark magic so spell-bindingly good, he asks? let me show you. let's go. so we climb. hike. see a bear. woah. reach the top.
5:29 pm
dave says dark magic is a bold blend of coffee with rich flavors of uganda, sumatra, colombia and other parts of south america. like these mountains, each amazing on their own. but together? magical. all, for a smoother tasting cup of coffee. green mountain coffee roasters packed with goodness. at&t gives you more for your thing. your me-time thing. that sunday night date night with hbo allllllll night thing.
5:30 pm
that island without men or children would be nice to visit thing. buy an at&t unlimited plan, and get hbo included. more for your thing that's our thing.
5:31 pm
5:32 pm
and back with me now to talk about the president's speech in pennsylvan pennsylvania, my panel. nathan, i promise we will get to you in a second. but first to the guys with me here in new york. and you touched on this a little bit, tim, before we went to break. the president makes a lot of claims in these speeches. not necessarily all those claims can be backed up by facts. i want to illustrate one of those examples today. this is the president talking about the support he received from women in the 2016 election. take a listen. >> women, women, we love you.
5:33 pm
we love you. [ applause ] >> hey, didn't we surprise them with women during the election? remember? women won't like donald trump. i said, have i really had that kind of a problem? i don't think so. but women won't like donald trump. it will be a rough night for donald trump because the women won't come out. we got 52%, right? 52%, right? and i'm running against a woman. you know, it's not that easy. >> now, we don't know exactly what exit poll he is citing because he does not provide that backup. but i looked at the cnn exit polls from that night. according to our exit polls, 54% of women voters supported hillary clinton. 52% of white women supported donald trump. now, we don't know if he's mixing up these statistics to make this point. but is this an example of the president saying something to a
5:34 pm
crowd that is looking for good news from him and just accepting it? >> absolutely. he speaks to voters who are in a partisan silo, and he understands that he can cherry pick different kinds of facts or even make things up that aren't true. but if you shape them in the right story line, if you play to the both fears and hopes of the people in the crowd, that doesn't matter. it doesn't matter 54%, 52% or two the 52% is. it sounds good. this is an important part of the midterm argument because many are looking towards the women's vote and seeing that might actually turn the house and even the senate towards the democrats. i think that's what he's thinking. this is a speech for republicans. not just base supports, but for republicans to remind them the economy is doing well. i'm doing well. meaning, the president of the united states. and don't believe the critics because it is not true.
5:35 pm
>> this was intended to be a campaign rally for rick saccone. it took him an hour 17 minutes to bring rick to the stage. he only talked about him briefly. this is where i want to bring you in, nathan. here is basically donald trump's argument against connor lam, rick's opponent. >> and i appreciate his nice words about me. this is trump country, right? so he has to stay nice. he's smart. so he's saying nice things. here's the problem. as soon as he gets, in he's not going to vote for us. he's going to vote the party line. he has to. it's a whole crazy system. >> all right. so, nathan, is this the president's best argument when it comes to connor lam? he has run as a moderate. he's played up his military history, the fact he personally is opposed to abortion. is this the best argument trump
5:36 pm
with make about lamb. >> i think the nancy pel low sis argument is ones they are hoping to invail across the country. in this race republicans have been trying to connect connor to nancy pelosi for six to eight weeks and it has not worked. he has a legitimate chance of winning. so i think it should be concerning that if this message isn't working in a district that donald trump won by 19 points, how will that play in more moderate districts. what we miss is that democrats don't have to win congressional districts like this in november in order to win the majority. they can win the districts like hillary clinton carried, win ones that donald trump carried more narrowly and get the 24 they need. so the amount of money and the time and the energy that's being spent i think should be concerning on the republican side. >> i do want to show our viewers
5:37 pm
some video of the president boarding air force one as he heads back to washington. and nathan, to that point, i don't know that we have necessarily seen a lot of evidence of the president's support transferring to candidates in races like this. now, he went on a long rant today about karen in georgia. he was actually at this rally for some reason trying to make the case that he put her over the hump to win. but then in alabama his preferred candidate was creamed by roy moore. from your analysis, can a rally like this push a candidate over the finish line on tuesday? >> i'm skerep skeptical. but in close races everything matters. i'm old enough to remember when you made this great point before the speech started and there is a danger for republicans that this popularity that president trump has doesn't transfer. just look behind the president in the speech. what was over his
5:38 pm
shoulder? it was trump signs. make america great signs. there was briefly a rick saccone signs, but that was it. president obama was extremely popular, particularly with the democratic base. but getting those voters to turn out when he wasn't on the ballot was a big problem. >> in terms of the big picture here, we had the president talk about a number of things. he criticized ronald region. he floated the idea of killing drug dealers, giving them the death penalty. >> i would be remiss if i didn't mention the dark, the dark elements of this speech. at times he seemed to be imitating don rickles. he was making fun of himself. he was making fun of the office. but at times he was speaking in the kind of language that we
5:39 pm
hear from authoritarians. he put up singapore as a model of justice. they also whip people. he talked about with glee the roughness of ice, the way that people are being dragged. he was using verbs that presidents shouldn't ever use when discussing justice. >> yeah. >> so there was a dark side to the speech and it was very painful. not only to hear people applaud it but to hear people applaud when he jokingly talked about being president for life. so i think there is a side to this that is upsetting. part of it was great performance and part of it was upsetting. what democrats have to take from this, however, is that donald trump has changed the republican party. he attacked ronald reagan and patty nunen.
5:40 pm
he has changed this party. he is turning it into a protectionist party and it is working. the republican party of today is not the republican party of ronald reagan. and the democrats have to be very carefully in how they fight the republican party. it is not one they met with before. >> it might not be the republican party of 2015. hold your thoughts. a lot more to unpack. the president talking about oprah, the olympics, north korea, daca. we will unpack it all after this short break. you are watching cnn. [burke] vengeful vermin. seen it. covered it. we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪
5:41 pm
what's going on here? i'm babysitting. that'll be $50 bucks. you said $30 dollars. it was $30 before the pizza-ordering fee and the dog-sitting fee. are those my heels? with t-mobile taxes and fees are already included, so you get four unlimited lines for just $35 bucks each.
5:42 pm
to keep our community safe. before you do any project big or small,
5:43 pm
pg&e will come out and mark your gas and electric lines so you don't hit them when you dig. call 811 before you dig, and make sure that you and your neighbors are safe. i'd love oprah to win. i would love to beat oprah. i know her weakness. i know her weakness. wouldn't we love to run against opr oprah? i would love it. that would be a painful experience for her. >> that is the president of the united states talking about a possible matchup against oprah winfrey in 2020. she actually talks about donald
5:44 pm
trump in that interview with van jones. nathan, do you think the president is worried about oprah? that's why he brings her into a conversation like this or this is a degree of showmanship and he understands this will get played on television numerous times over if he talks about it. >> i'm not sure he believes anyone can defeat him at anything so i'm not sure he worried about that. but i think one thing that if -- i think that every republican member of congress who is running for re-election, every potential republican who will be a united states senate nominee should go back and watch the tape because i think this is a preview of what the president's involvement is going to be like. he wants to be out among people who are cheering him on. when you bring the president to your state or your district, you just don't know what you are going to get. you might get three minutes of being mentioned and you might get an hour and 30 minutes of things, oprah, the to ltolympic
5:45 pm
north korea. >> that's right. he talked about "the apprentice" turned out. but we watched this speech and both of you guys remarked that he is very good at this. this is something that he is successful at. he knows how to work a crowd. he knows how to stir them up. he knows how to get these people behind him. >> he's a performer. he spends a lot of his career performing. and the apprentice was his training fwroutrain training ground for politics. he knows what his crowd likes. he knows how to define himself. it was a dark speech. it was about their line. they're out to get you. some people are out to kill you and i'm your defender. it was almost like in wrestling when the wrestler goes in front of the television camera and gives a speech. that's what he's doing. he shouldn't be underestimated. i think even if his approval is
5:46 pm
low. even if congressional races don't go his way, you could imagine how this translates into a campaign. underneath all of this was the economy. if that continues, he can still be very formidable. >> one of the things he's effective at, the name calling. talked about elizabeth warren and called out maxine waters. take a listen to this. >> maxine waters, a very low iq individual. did you ever see her? did you ever see her? we will impeach him. we will impeach the president. but he hasn't done anything wrong. it doesn't matter. we will impeach him. she's a low iq individual. you can't help it. she really is. >> is there is long-term game with this here, tim by calling
5:47 pm
maxine waters a low iq individual and connecting it to impeachment. is he laying the ground work? >> well, i'm not sure he has that kind of strategy. but what we know from him is that he paid no price in the election for attacking people, for den graegrating people. he builds on successful strategies. now he is looking at his current adversaries and enemies and he wants to tear each one down and the audience loved it, which is a shame. it is really sad here is that americans in the audience don't realize, wait a second, he's president of the united states. he is not some kind of carnival barker or a salesman for something. he's actually representing every american and he just attacked an american. >> member of congress. >> a member of congress. but just an american.
5:48 pm
just a citizen and said that this person has a low iq. that's the president of the united states speaking. people have forgotten that. they don't realize the power and import of his words. >> but in the mid-terms, the thing to remember, which we discuss, is it is not working. at least for the next new months, his approval ratings are row. this race should not be a toss-up and it is. even if the republicans win by a little, that is a loss. and, so, there is the presidential race. >> right. >> and this might work. but for the congressional races, i think republicans are very fearful that this is not sticking right now. >> that is an excellent point. we should not prognosticate between 2019. there is a long way to go. all right. we will take another quick break. we will have more of the president's speech in pennsylvania when we come back. you're watching cnn. inflammatory substances.psy most pills only block one. flonase.
5:49 pm
alright, i brought in high protein to help get us moving. ...and help you feel more strength and energy in just two weeks! i'll take that. -yeeeeeah! ensure high protein. with 16 grams of protein and 4 grams of sugar. ensure. always be you.
5:50 pm
surprise! hold up. we got a laggy video call here. hey, try the new samsung galaxy s9 on verizon unlimited. the best network for streaming. okay, let's take it back from "surpri--" (avo) unlimited is only as good as the network it's on. switch and get up to $500 off the samsung galaxy s9. i am totally blind. and non-24 can make me show up too early... or too late. or make me feel like i'm not really "there." talk to your doctor, and call 844-234-2424. a few years ago, me and my wife was actually saving for a house. but one day we're sitting there and we decided that, something needed to be done about what was going on in our inner-city. instead of buying a house, we decided to form this youth league. these kids mean everything to me and i just want to make sure i give something positive to do.
5:51 pm
♪ ♪ wow, that's amazing. that's a blessing right there. to know that someone out there cares and is passionate about what we're trying to do in our communities. you excited? yes. yeah, we're gonna to look good right? yup. awesome. alright come on, bring it in man. love these guys right here. remember i used to say, how easy it is toe be presidential? you'd all be out of here right now. you'd be so bored. because i could stand up, right?
5:52 pm
>> you're one of us. >> i could stand up. i'm very presidential. ladies and gentlemen, thank you for being here tonight. rick saccone will be a great, great congressman. and then you'd go, god bless you and god bless the united states of america. thank you very much. see, that's easy. that's much easier than doing what i have to do. >> that is the president of the united states doing his impression of what he thinks people -- what he assumes people think he should be doing as president of the united states. obviously in a mocking fashion. i want to bring in our panel. nathan gonzales, tim naftali and
5:53 pm
julian zelizer. nathan, i understand you have some insight into this race on tuesday that you want to share. >> i think what's interesting is the two parties are fighting over the narrative of this election cycle because this district, the 18th district, really doesn't exist anymore. because the state supreme court threw out the map. this 18th district has been chopped up in a way if conor lamb, whether he wins or loses, he's probably going to in what's called the new 17th district against a republican congressman. i found it amusing that president trump attacked that georgia candidate for not living in the district. if rick saccone wins, he's probably going to run in the new 14th district, even though he lives in another new district. it all gets confusing. this isn't about the majority, this is about the fight for what type of district democrats can win in and what's possible for november. >> speaking of those districts, julian, that was one of the things that the president
5:54 pm
attacked, was the redistricting process taking place in pennsylvania right now. >> absolutely. that redistricting process in pennsylvania some say might very well cost the republicans the house. this is a very big set of decisions. it's taking place in different parts of the country to overturn the redistricting that took place really in 2011, which locked in a lot of the republican majority so it's a very big story. but this is about also perception. i think republicans are fighting tooth and nail, not because -- they know they won't have the seat necessarily, but they don't want to look like this is moving toward a wave election, and i think that's what you're seeing. it's about perception and that's something that the president understands. >> i'm interested, tim, in your analysis of how the president handled these big policy issues that he's been dealing with. he talked about north korea. there was one point he talked about kim jong-un and the crowd booed and he pushed them off that and said, no, we've got to be nice to him right now. he also talked about the way
5:55 pm
he's going to handle daca and he talked about the steel tariffs, which he believes are going to be very positive for this particular congressional district. i mean, he says it in a very almost down to earth way. do you think that resonates with this type of crowd? >> oh, i'm sure it resonates with the crowd. whether it actually leads to a better america for the people in that district or anywhere else in this country is a much different question. let's take, for example, what he said about north korea. he has been telling us since coming into office that we can't trust the north korean regime. by the way, he wouldn't be the first to believe that. the north korean regime has a terrible history and a history of breaking promises. now he's saying to us, i believe them when they say the following. >> right. >> now, why? what has changed his mind? nothing has -- nothing but the fact that maybe he can have some great success on the international stage. perhaps that too harsh, but we have no reason to believe that there is real evidence that north korea has changed.
5:56 pm
the only thing that's happened is that they sent a message to the south koreans. it's not even clear that the united states had a direct interaction with the north koreans. >> right. >> so when you look at each policy, it's just a matter of showmanship. there is no real there there. >> all right. tim naftali, julian zelizer, nathan gonzales, thank you so much for joining me tonight. that does it for me. i'm ryan nobles. thank you very much for joining us tonight. up next, relive how the kennedy assassination became a turning point in american history. the cnn original series "the sixties" is next. have a great night. here's the story of green mountain coffee roasters sumatra reserve told in the time it takes to brew your cup. let's go to sumatra.
5:57 pm
where's sumatra? good question. this is win. and that's win's goat, adi. the coffee here is amazing. because the volcanic soil is amazing. making the coffee erupt with flavor. so we give farmers like win more plants. to grow more delicious coffee. that erupts with even more flavor. which helps provide for win's family. and adi the goat's family too. because his kids eat a lot. all, for a smoother tasting cup of coffee. green mountain coffee roasters. packed with goodness.
5:58 pm
5:59 pm
-- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com
6:00 pm
>> in average man's life there are two or three emotional experiences burned into his heart and his brain. and no matter what happens to me i'll remember november 22nd as long as i live. >> there has been an attempt on the life of president kennedy. >> they are combing the floors of the texas book depository building to find the assassin. >> did you shoot the president? >> i'm just a patsy. >> oswald has been fired at point blank range, fired into his stomach. >> police are working on the assumption that oswald's murder was to shut him up. >> elements of the central intelligence agency killed john kennedy. >> a story that has been suppressed. witnesses have been killed. we have a right to know who killed our president and why he died. ♪ ♪
6:01 pm
♪ in dallas, preparations were already under way for extraordinary police protection when the president should arrive. >> do you anticipate any trouble on the president's arrival? >> because of what has happened here previously we would be foolish, i think, not to anticipate some trouble. i don't -- really i don't anticipate any violence.
6:02 pm
>> here comes air force number one, the president's plane now touching down. there is mrs. kennedy, and the crowd yells. and the president of the united states. and i can see his sun tan all the way from here. >> looking at how things actually went, it wasn't just a trip to dallas, it was a political trip preparing for the 1964 elections. >> shaking hands now with the dallas people, governor and mrs. connolly, governor connolly on your left. >> it was whether kennedy could use his charisma and his influence to get all his squabbling democrats in texas to come together before the election the next year.
6:03 pm
>> and here comes the president now. in fact he is not in his limo, he is reaching across the fence shaking hands. >> in those days everybody could get a lot closer to the president. i was standing behind mrs. kennedy and saw a hand reach through the chain link fence and break off one of the red roses. >> thousands of children now swarming, trying to get over the fence. the dallas police trying to keep them back. >> this is great for the people and makes the egg shells even thinner for the secret service, whose job it was to guard the man. >> the trip had gone terrifically well in texas. pretty hard to write a script for it going any better. >> thousands will be on hand for that motorcade now, which will be in downtown dallas. >> a number of my classmates were gone, they were at the parade. my father had been invited to have lunch with kennedy at the trade center. there was a mood, a climate of excitement. >> the speech of president kennedy at the dallas trade mart will be broadcast by radio. stay tuned for the president's
6:04 pm
dallas speech on the trade mart on 570 radio. ♪ ♪ ♪ work hard in the daytime rest easy at night ♪ ♪ big boss man won't you hear me when i call ♪ ♪ yeah big boss man won't you hear me when i call ♪ ♪ well you ain't so big you just tall and that's all ♪ >> this bulletin just into the news. three shots were fired at the motorcade of president kennedy. today in downtown dallas. >> police radios are carrying that the president has been hit. >> parkland hospital has been advised to stand by for a severe gunshot wound. >> this is walter cronkite, in our newsroom. and -- there has been an attempt on the life of president kennedy.
6:05 pm
>> just turn the mike on. i can't hear you, johnny. what do you want? you want me to move back a little bit. is it all right now? is this all right? ladies and gentlemen, i would like to introduce to you the chief cameraman. and assistant news director of wfa television. bert, we have brought the people pretty much up to date. would you tell them exactly what you know as of this point? >> well, i was standing at the trade mart awaiting his arrival there. all of a sudden we saw them approaching, they didn't slow down, as a matter of fact, they were going 70, 80 miles an hour past us. and then i jumped into a police car and went to parkland. >> these two men come in and one of them had a large machine gun and they were hollering for the
6:06 pm
stretchers and cots and everything. >> what happened after this? >> then the president came in behind him and they took both of them back -- >> albert thomas, democrat of texas, is standing outside the corridor of the emergency room said he has been told the president was still alive but in very critical condition. >> the president has not arrived here. a group of secret service men and other officials has gathered where the president normally would enter and discussing heatedly with one another some subject or other, of course we have no idea what. >> now, here is an announcement from the platform. mr. eric johnson with an announcement. >> it is true, our president, governor connolly in the motorcade, have been shot. we shall tell you as much as we know as soon as we know anything.
6:07 pm
thank you. you can't judge sugar looking at the cane, you can't judge a woman looking at her man. you can't judge a daughter by looking at the mother. you can't judge a book by looking at the cover. taking one look. try to read me like a book but i leave 'em all shook 'cuz you can't judge a book by its cover. you can't judge a book by looking at the cover [x2]
6:08 pm
6:09 pm
aah! ...i would have said you were crazy. but so began the year of me. i discovered the true meaning of paperless discounts... and the indescribable rush of saving drivers an average of $620. why does fear feel so good? i fell in love three times -- once with a woman, once with a country, and finally... with myself. -so, do you have anything to declare or not? -isn't that what i'm doing? -so, do you have anything to declare or not? it's 6 am. 40 million americans are waking up to a gillette shave. and at our factory in boston, more than a thousand workers are starting their day building on over a hundred years of heritage, craftsmanship and innovation. today we're bringing you america's number one shave at lower prices every day. putting money back in the pockets of millions of americans. as one of those workers, i'm proud to bring you gillette quality for less,
6:10 pm
because nobody can beat the men and women of gillette. gillette - the best a man can get. a gentleman just walked in our studio that i am meeting for the first time. as well as you. this is wfaa tv in dallas, texas. may i have your name please, sir? >> my name is abraham zapruder. >> zapruder? >> yes, sir. >> will you tell us your story,
6:11 pm
please, sir? >> i got up about a half hour earlier, in order to shoot some pictures. 35-year-old boy and myself were by ourselves on the grass there on palmer street. and i asked joe to wave to him. and joe waved and i waved -- >> that is all right, sir. >> as he was waving back he was -- the shot rang out and he slumped down in his seat. >> and then all of a sudden this next one popped and governor connolly grabbed his stomach and kind of laid over to the side. and then another one -- it was just all so fast and president kennedy reached up and grabbed -- looked like grabbed his ear and blood just started gushing out. >> did you see the person who fired it? >> no, i didn't see the person who fired the weapon. >> you only heard it? >> i only heard it and i looked up and saw this man running up this hill. >> if it's a conspiracy not only the president was hit, the governor was hit. who knows if the next shot would have been for lyndon johnson. johnson's car pulls into the
6:12 pm
emergency bay at parkland hospital. four agents reach in and grab johnson and pull him out and start to run him down one corridor. looking for a safe place. >> mr. johnson, his whereabouts are being kept secret for security reasons. if anyone knows where mr. johnson is, it is not us at this moment. >> it was a signal moment in our cultural history. suddenly it occurred to us the right thing to do is turn on the television. >> reports continue to come in but in a confused and fragmentary fashion. >> president kennedy has been given a blood transfusion at parkland hospital here in dallas in an effort to save his life. it was odd because there were no commercials. it was just a continuous experience. >> two priests have entered the emergency room at parkland hospital where he rests after the assassination attempt which now was about a half hour ago.
6:13 pm
>> what are your feelings right now, ma'am? >> i'm absolutely shocked. stunned. we have the same birthday. i am just crazy about him. >> who would want to shoot the president? what did he do? i mean, he has been doing so much for the country. someone goes ahead and shoots him? >> a flash from dallas. two priests who were with president kennedy say he is dead. >> of bullet wounds. this is the latest information we have from dallas. i will repeat with the greatest regret two priests who were with president kennedy say he has died of bullet wounds. >> the assistant press secretary was filling in for the regular press secretary. and then he had to draw himself up to give the most fateful announcement that a press secretary might have ever had to give.
6:14 pm
>> all the cameras were rolling and i remember he put his fingers like this on the desk and pressed very hard to stop his hands trembling. >> president john f. kennedy died at approximately 1:00 central standard time. today here in dallas. he did of a gun shot wound in the brain. i have no other details regarding the assassination of the president. >> the people standing here are stunned just as all of us are beyond belief. that the president of the united states is dead. >> all over the world people are going to remember all their lives what they were doing when they first heard that president
6:15 pm
kennedy had been killed. >> the crowds are standing around in silence and sorrow in the rain. the strange thing is you don't even notice it is raining. and if you do notice, you don't care. >> i just can't believe it. i feel like someone in my own family has died. i just can't believe it. >> ma'am? >> i can't -- >> like a daze. you don't know what's going on. why? why did it happen? who would have done such a thing is the question. >> in the first minutes and hours, chaos and confusion was radiating out from the scene itself. it was very pervasive. >> the secret service agents thought the gunfire came from an automatic weapon fired possibly from a grassy knoll. >> i saw some police run up the
6:16 pm
grassy -- i thought they're chasing the gunman. i ran with them. >> the report is that the attempted assassin, we now hear it was a man. and a woman. >> i got to the top, looked around. a policeman went over the fence so i went over the fence too. there was nothing there. >> a television newsman said he looked up just after the shot was fired and saw a rifle being withdrawn from a fifth or sixth floor window. >> it was originally thought that the shots came from here, and now it is believed the shots came from this building here. >> the police officers are running back to the texas school depository building. they are going to continue searching in that building for the would-be assassin of the president. >> in the federal downtown building, they are combing the area in an effort to find the suspected assassin. >> in the building on the sixth floor we found an area near an window that had partially been blocked off by boxes of books
6:17 pm
and also the three spent shells that had apparently been fired from a rifle. >> crime lab lieutenant day came out of that building with a british .303 rifle. >> it was a 7.65 mauser. >> a high-powered army or japanese rifle of .25 caliber. >> a .3030 rifle. >> much of the first things you hear are going to be wrong and to some degree you were constantly trying to separate out what seemed to be a fact. >> in dallas, a dallas policeman just a short while ago was shot and killed while chasing a suspect. >> j.d. tippit was shot three times in the chest in the oak cliff section of dallas. then the manager of a shoe store saw the suspect walk into the texas theater. >> someone has been arrested in one of the downtown theaters. they don't know if it was the
6:18 pm
man who shot the policeman or the person who actually shot president kennedy. >> police suddenly jumped this man and started to drag him out of the theater. hustled him out to the car as the crowd barack. they grabbed this man and tried to run with him. they shouted "murder" and the officers hustled him into the car and ran away just as fast as they could. >> as we mentioned a short while ago a number of arrests have been made in dallas in the wake of president kennedy's death. we have scenes of one of those arrests in the downtown area. this is just after a dallas policeman was shot in the vicinity of a downtown movie house. >> what is your first name? >> paul bentley. >> how did you approach him? >> i approached him and as he approached him, the man hit mcdonald in the face. and as he reached for his pistol i grabbed him along with two or three other officers. >> what did he say to you after he was arrested?
6:19 pm
>> he just said this is it. it is all over with now. beyond is a natural pet food that goes beyond assuming ingredients are safe... to knowing they are. going beyond expectations... because our pets deserve it.
6:20 pm
beyond. natural pet food. what's going on here? i'm babysitting. that'll be $50 bucks. you said $30 dollars. it was $30 before the pizza-ordering fee and the dog-sitting fee. are those my heels? with t-mobile taxes and fees are already included, so you get four unlimited lines for just $35 bucks each. sarge, i just got a tip. that'll crack this case wide open! turns out the prints at the crime scene- awwwww...did mcgruffy wuffy get a tippy wippy? i'm serious! we gotta move fast before- who's a good boy? is him a good boy? erg...i'm just gonna go. oh, you wanna go outside? you gotta go tinky poo-poo? i already went, ok? in the bathroom! as long as people talk baby-talk to dogs, you can count on geico saving folks money. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
6:21 pm
internet providers promise business owners a lot. let's see who delivers more. comcast business offers fast gig-speeds across our network. at&t doesn't. we offer more complete reliability with up to 8 hours of 4g wireless network backup.
6:22 pm
at&t, no way. we offer 35 voice features and solutions that grow with your business. at&t, not so much. we give you 75 mbps for $59.95. that's more speed than at&t's comparable bundle, for less. call today. this is a picture of him. he probably does not look exactly like this now after he has been questioned. that's lee oswald. >> the president was shot. and a police officer is shot.
6:23 pm
then someone named lee harvey z oswald is arrested. oswald may be a suspect in the assassination. who is he? >> lee oswald of dallas, a former marine who spent some time in russia who at one time had applied for soviet citizenship. >> the description that we had of the suspect in oak cliff was similar to the description we had and the man we were looking for as the assassin. but at that time we had not been able to connect it to him in any way. >> down in the third floor corridor, a crowd of cameramen reporters wait for the possible appearance of the man accused of killing president kennedy and a dallas police officer. >> now, apparently a great deal of confusion. mr. oswald is put through the door. i don't know if you saw him, oswald lives at 1026 meckley. he is an employee of a book-binding firm in the building which the police and
6:24 pm
secret serviceman believe was shot today. >> mrs. kennedy accompanied the body in an ambulance from the hospital to the airport where it will be flown back to washington. >> everybody in the emergency room, the hospital was -- on the first floor they came and said we would have to help remove the remains in a casket. >> lyndon johnson ordered that body be brought immediately to air force one. so there was a little tug-of-war. they almost shook the crucifix off the top of the coffin as they were trying to get that coffin out of the hospital. >> they took him out and put him into the hearse and one of the
6:25 pm
secret service men, well, about two or three of them got into the hearse and just drove off and left the rest of them just standing there. >> vice president johnson is expected to be sworn in as president aboard an airliner before flying back to the nation's capital. >> not everyone realized that johnson was already the president, because he in fact had taken the oath in january '61, the same oath the president takes. >> johnson wanted to show the american people that the government was functioning without interruption. and also perhaps he wanted to show that his predecessor's family bore him no ill will for the assassination. >> lyndon johnson is flying back to washington to take the reins of government, at which time president johnson will have to take into his hands the reins of the most powerful nation in the world. >> we think november 2 27b2nd,
6:26 pm
as a date when a president was killed, but it was also a date when a president was created. >> is there any doubt in your mind, chief, that oswald is the man that killed the president? >> i think this is the man that killed the president, yes, sir. >> is there any evidence any one else may have been linked with oswald in this shooting. >> at this time we don't believe so. >> i don't know what this is all about. >> did you kill the president? >> no, sir, i didn't. >> sir? >> did you shoot the president? >> i work in that building. >> were you in that building at the time? >> naturally if i work in that building, yes, sir. >> back up, man. >> did you shoot the president? >> no, they're taking me in because of the fact that i lived in the soviet union. >> did you shoot the president? >> i'm just a patsy. >> this is room 317, homicide burro here at the dallas police station. as you see, they are bringing the weapon allegedly used in the
6:27 pm
assassination of president john f. kennedy this afternoon at 12:30 here in dallas. >> 6.5 made in italy in 1940. >> police have traced a rifle purchased in chicago by mail order to oswald. >> he bought to under the alias of "ah" eidel. handwriting analysts have confirmed that the handwriting on the purchase order was in fact made by oswald. the price of $12.78, the life of the president of the united states apparently was bought. >> in the wake of the kennedy assassination, the dallas police on the one hand were committing all of their resources to try and solve a crime. >> move in the doorway, get him in the doorway. >> hold it right there. >> on the other hand they were ill equipped to handle this tsunami of reporters. >> well, i was questioned by a
6:28 pm
judge, but i protested at that time that i was not allowed legal representation. >> in bringing oswald out, they were of course doing something that you would never see happen today, but they were trying to cooperate with the press, with the understanding that there would not be questions shouted to him. >> did you kill the president? >> no, i have not been charged with that. in fact, nobody has said that to me yet. the first thing i heard about it was when the newspaper reporters in the hall asked me that question. >> you have been charged. >> sir? >> you have been charged? >> nobody said what? >> okay. >> what did you do in russia? >> how did you hurt your eye? >> a policeman hit me. >> at 1:35 this morning, a complaint was read. it charged that, quote, lee harvey oswald did voluntarily
6:29 pm
and will malice of forethought kill john f. kennedy by shooting him with a gun end quote following the reading of the complaint, oswald said, that's ridiculous. >> within hours of the assassination, it was very obvious to virtually everyone in dallas law enforcement that oswald had killed kennedy. >> chief, can you tell us in summary what directly links oswald to the killing of the president? >> well, the fact that he was on the floor where the shots were fired from immediately before the shots were fired. the fact he was seen carrying a package to the building, the fact that -- >> when was he carrying that package? >> yesterday morning. >> yesterday morning in the dilly plaza he was the only one in the book depository that fled the building. 45 minutes later he shoots and kills officer j.d. tippit. half hour later at the texas theater he resisted arrest by
6:30 pm
pulling his gun on the arresting officer. during 12 hours of interrogation by the dallas police department over the weekend, he told one provable lie after another. >> did you buy that rifle? >> that's the facts you people have been given but i emphatically deny these charges. >> within a day or so thereafter when they discovered what a complete nut this guy was, they were satisfied beyond all reasonable doubt that oswald had acted alone. >> there's only one thing i can tell you without going into the evidence that this case is cinched, that this man killed the president. there is no question in my mind about it. >> we plan to transfer this man, not tonight, he will be here by no later than 10:00 in the morning. why, it will -- that will be early enough for him. >> chief, do you have any concern for the safety of your prisoner in due of the high feeling of the people in dallas over the assassination of the president?
6:31 pm
>> no, but precautions will be taken, of course, but i don't think that the people will try to take the prisoner away from us. it's spring" sales event, where you will find great deals on award-winning suvs, that are sure to make you smile. with over 40 standard features and with america's best bumper-to-bumper transferable limited warranty. during the volkswagen spring sales event you can't help, but smile. do you know them? uh-uh. do you know them? uh-uh. it's the volkswagen "smile, it's spring" sales event. during the volkswagen "smile, it's spring" sales event you can get $1000 bonus on new 2018 atlas or tiguan models. you wouldn't accept from any one else. why accept it from your allergy pills? flonase relieves your worst symptoms including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. flonase helps block 6 key inflammatory substances. most pills only block one. flonase.
6:32 pm
the smoother the skin, the more comfortable you are in it. and now there's a new way to smooth. introducing new venus platinum. a premium metal handle boosts control... to reveal up to 100% smooth skin. venus thisreally passionate about- i really want to help. i was on my way out of this life. there are patients out there that don't have a lot of time. finally, it was like the sun rose again and i was going to start fighting back now. when those patients come to me and say, "you saved my life...."
6:33 pm
my life was saved by a two week old targeted therapy drug. that's what really drives me to- to save lives.
6:34 pm
all right. let's move. >> lee oswald is to be taken soon to the county jail. >> that's true. >> and you are going to take him there how, sir? >> we are going to use an armored motor vehicle to take him. >> dallas police meant to
6:35 pm
transfer lee into the regular prison during the night to avoid the press, and then someone must have overruled them so that lee could be photographed by the press during the transfer. >> we're standing by waiting the transfer of oswald from city jail to county jail and for that report, here is abc's bill lord at the city jail. bill, what is the situation? >> i'm presently in the basement of the dallas municipal building and it's like an armed camp. police officials are frankly worried. they don't want anything to happen to oswald. >> it is through this corridor of newsmen, photographers and policemen that lee oswald will be brought to a vehicle for transfer to the dallas county jail, a distance of about 15 blocks, which ironically is just across from the scene where president kennedy was assassinated on friday.
6:36 pm
>> anticipation has built up here in downtown dallas in front of the county jail. they are waiting for a glimpse of lee oswald. >> there he is. here he comes. >> the prisoner. >> let me have it. i want it. >> being led out by captain fritz. >> there is lee. he's been shot. he's been shot. lee oswald has been shot. there is a man with a gun. it's absolute panic. absolute panic here in the basement of the dallas police headquarters. detectives have their guns drawn. there is no question about it, oswald has been shot at point-blank range fired into his stomach.
6:37 pm
>> he's shot. he is shot. oswald -- >> it is oswald. >> did he shoot the man? >> or do you know? >> that's the man that shot the man. >> immediately after the shooting, our only witnesses that we could talk to were other reporters. >> where did he go, pierre? >> he was here. they just put the gun there. i saw the flash on the black sweater. >> did you see the gun to his stomach? >> i saw right here. he was in a group of men right here. >> masquerading as one of us or what? >> i thought it was one of the detectives. he had a hat. >> the situation is now that lee harold oswald has been shot. the man who saw the shot fired said it was fired by a man wearing a black hat, a brown coat, a man that everyone down here thought was a secret service agent. we can hear sirens outside and ambulance apparently is moving down now into the basement. here comes the ambulance.
6:38 pm
and oswald will be removed now. the ambulance is being pulled up in front of us here. here comes oswald, he's -- he is ashen and unconscious at this time, now being moved in. he is not moving. he's in the ambulance now. attendants, police are quickly moving in. the ambulance is leaving dallas police headquarters. where will he be taken? >> i'm assuming parkland hospital. >> parkland hospital. the irony of ironies, the place where john f. kennedy died. >> roll. >> i believe the man -- >> don't take the microphone. keep your head up. let's start again. what is your reaction to the shooting of oswald? >> well, i think it's a deplorable situation. the man is entitled to a fair trial. >> they should give him a fair trial because killing him just
6:39 pm
like that ain't nothing. because that ain't going to bring president kennedy back to life. and after you get him, let him out and on the street and let the people kill him. >> they should not only shoot him but cut him up in the pieces. >> put him every one hour in a fire and set it up for one day and the next day start again. >> thank you. >> the man that i believe i didn't see it. i think it's the man. >> you got him? what does he look like? >> i can't give you a description now. he is known locally. >> immediately after the ambulance left, somehow i begun to suspect that maybe the shooter was someone who was known to the police. >> do you know this subject? do you know him? have you seen him before? >> yes, i do. >> is he from dallas? >> yes. >> he is -- >> i couldn't tell you. >> do you know what kind of business he happens to be in? >> bob, i wouldn't want to say. >> right. >> dallas city hall is normally
6:40 pm
a public building, but today it was really under armed guard. >> we -- is this a confirmed report as to who did the shooting? >> as far as i know. i just got to from vic robertson. >> vic robertson from city hall hall reports that jack ruby, the owner of the carousal, which is a bar in dallas did the shooting. >> my statement will be very brief. oswald expired at 1:07 p.m. >> he died? >> he died at 1:07 p.m. we have arrested the man. the man will be charged with murder. >> who is he? >> the man -- the suspect's name
6:41 pm
is jack rubenstein, i believe. he goes by the name of jack ruby. >> and here at associated press, a still picture of the moment, the split second as the shot was fired. this is the man dallas police have identified as jack rubenstein and this of course is lee harvey oswald. you see the gun in the hand of ruby and just about to be fired. >> i know my own feelings were and i think they were widely shared by many, if not most americans. this can't be coincidental. the assassin is assassinated in the police station. what in the hell is going on? >> just learned from city hall from an authoritative source, that police are working on the assumption that there, indeed, a connection between jack ruby and lee oswald. and that in some manner of speaking, oswald's murder was to shut him up.
6:42 pm
>> captain fritz has just told me that ruby said he did it, that it was his gun and that he had built up a tremendous grievance over the death of the president. a >> in jack ruby's small mind, he thought he would be a hero. he killed the guy who killed the president. >> i commend what he did. i think he ought to win the congressional honor for it and a lot of other good american citizens think he did the right thing in shooting down this communist. >> word also in just now from dallas that homicide chief captain will fritz has now said that the case of president kennedy's assassination is now closed with the death of oswald. it may not, however, be the opinion of the secret service or the federal bureau of investigation.
6:43 pm
you can't judge sugar looking at the cane, you can't judge a woman looking at her man. you can't judge a daughter by looking at the mother. you can't judge a book by looking at the cover. taking one look. try to read me like a book but i leave 'em all shook 'cuz you can't judge a book by its cover. you can't judge a book by looking at the cover [x2] why people everywhere are upgrading their water filter to zerowater. start with water that has a lot of dissolved solids.
6:44 pm
pour it through brita's two-stage filter. dissolved solids remain? what if we filter it over and over? (sighing) oh dear. thank goodness zerowater's five-stage filter gets to all zeroes the first time. so, maybe it's time to upgrade. get more out of your water. get zerowater.
6:45 pm
♪ get more out of your water. ♪ (vo) you can pass down a subaru forester. but you get to keep the memories.
6:46 pm
love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. (avo) get 0% apr financing on all new 2018 subaru forester models. now through april 2nd. ♪ our nation is bereaved.
6:47 pm
the whole world is poorer because of his loss, but we can all be better americans because john fitzgerald kennedy has passed our way. because he has been our chosen leader at a time in history when his character, his vision and his quiet courage have enabled him to chart a course for us, a safe course for us through the shoals of treacherous seas that encompass the world. and now that he is relieved of the almost superhuman burden we imposed on him, may he rest in peace. ♪
6:48 pm
dallas today had even more to mourn. it held funeral services for one of its own who was a victim of friday's tragedy. officer j.d. tippit. >> it was a funeral of a very different sort today in nearby fort worth. this was the dreary funeral of lee harvey odd wald, alleged murderer of president kennedy. the pathetic group of mourners included oswald's math, marguerite, his wife marina, his brother robert and oswald's two children, one of them a babe in arms. the six pallbearers were news men. there were not enough relatives or friends on hand to serve as pallbearers. >> now there is a new flag of the president of the united
6:49 pm
states flying in the white house. in president kennedy's old oval office, mrs. evelyn lincoln, his secretary and her aides have removed every scrap, every vestige of the signs of the personal touches of president kennedy. >> we know from history that one test of society is how do they handle the transfer of power at the top? lyndon johnson, whatever you thought of him, a lot of people disliked him greatly, some hated him would be the president of the united states. i think it shouted about the strength of the country and that we swear by the rule of law. >> the president of the united states. [ applause ]
6:50 pm
>> my fellow americans, all i have, i would have given gladly not to be standing here today. >> johnson knows he has to show the country that the ship of state is sailing on under the new captain. but at the same time, he can't appear to be too anxious to captain. but at the same time, he can't appear to be too anxious to assume power and he has to keep the kennedy people on board with him. so that speech means everything. >> no words are strong enough to express our determination to continue the forward thrust of america that he began.
6:51 pm
♪ >> the people of europe just cannot believe that a lone avenger made his way into a major police station and killed without difficulty the most celebrated and infamous criminal in the united states. >> one of the most important things that happened after oswald's murder was that we were forever denied the why. i mean, people at the time believed he did it. the question was, why? >> there are questions continually coming up about the possibility of an international plot. >> there is still all this thought that the russians might be behind it or cuba might be behind it. johnson sees there's a real danger in that. you want to put these rumors to rest. >> investigations into all the facts of these last four days may not be limited to the state of texas or the fbi. some congressmen already have suggested a congressional investigation. >> killing a president wasn't a
6:52 pm
federal crime at the time. so you had the federal government intervening in still what was a local murder. >> there certainly was a concern of competing investigations. there was the dallas criminal investigation. there was the state of texas court of inquiry and there were committees on both sides of congress, while, of course, the fbi had been given the job to conduct a full-scale investigation. >> johnson realizes something has to be done. he realizes that he has to appoint a body that the public will respect to look into this. >> yes, mr. president. >> i've got to have a top blue ribbon presidential commission to investigate this assassination. i want to ask several and chief justice warren as chairman. >> if there is one public governmental personal universally respected for his integrity, it is the chief justice of the supreme court, earl war ran.
6:53 pm
if there's one person in congress that everyone respects it's richard russell of georgia. he has to get them both on the commission. there is, however, a problem. russell is a segregationist through and through and despises warren for the decisions that he's made on the court. >> johnson thought if they can agree on a verdict, that ought to be satisfying 90% of american public opinion. >> i'm highly honored you'd think about me in connection with it. but i couldn't sit there with chief justice warren. i don't like that man. >> you can serve with anybody for the good of america and you're going to do it. i can't arrest you and i'm not going to put the fbi on you, but you're goddamn sure going to serve, i'll tell you that. >> lyndon johnson was known as the greatest salesman one-on-one who ever lived. so he meets first with warren and says, if i asked you to put on your uniform and fight for
6:54 pm
america, you'd do it. i'm asking you to fight for america in a different way. then johnson has to get richard russell. >> mr. president, please -- >> no, it's already done. it's been announced. >> you mean you've -- >> yes, sir, i made the announcement. it's already in the papers. you're on it. >> well, i think you did wrong getting warren, i know damn well you did wrong getting me, but we'll do the best we can. >> that's what you do. that's the kind of american both of you are. ♪ how pure can pure be? for a future full of possibilities, our 12-step process provides 100% pure, quality water. nestle pure life. pure life begins now. we're almost there. stall. my video call's she's colagging. mom?
6:55 pm
surprise! surprise! hold up. hold up. we got a laggy video call here. you need verizon, the best network for streaming. try this new samsung galaxy s9 on verizon unlimited. the camera's a real game changer. okay, people, that's a reset. you want us to surprise her again? yeah, but like in a fun way. like this. all my favorite friends are here. there's tony and diane. like that. (avo) switch to the best unlimited on the most awarded network, and get up to $500 off the samsung galaxy s9. let's team up to get the lady of the house back on her feet. and help her feel more strength and energy in just two weeks yaaay! the complete balanced nutrition of (great tasting) ensure with 9 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals. ensure. always be you.
6:56 pm
6:57 pm
if you'd have told me three years ago that we'd be downloading in seconds what used to take minutes. that guests would compliment our wifi. that we could video conference and do it like that (snaps). if you'd have told me that i could afford a gig-speed. a gig-speed network. it's like 20 times faster than what most people have. i'd of said... i'd of said you're dreaming. dreaming! definitely dreaming. then again, dreaming is how i got this far. now more businesses in more places can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network.
6:58 pm
produced by nbc news which is solely responsible for its content -- >> the warren commission appointed friday night will investigate and make a report on the murder. as yet it has said nothing about how it will proceed or when. in the meantime, again, the fbi is investigating every lead it can find and will turn its report over to president johnson probably this week. >> it was the fbi's hope that its report would be, if not the final word, the semifinal word, and that the commission's job would be to read it and then essentially endorse the findings of the report. >> the members of the warren commission, earl warren, john sherman cooper, jerry ford, alan dulles, hale boggs, richard russell, and john j. mccoy realized at their initial
6:59 pm
meeting that they had to do an independent investigation. they didn't want to be a stamp for the fbi or the secret service. there are three issues the commission had to grapple with. did oswald commit the physical act of the murder? and even if he did the physical act, did he have forces behind him? and then of course, what's ruby's involvement in this? >> you had various branches of the investigation traveling, interviewing witnesses, collecting evidence, bringing it back to the commission. >> let's see. the time of day was about -- well we're not very far, two hours from it. >> there were questions how would they deal with the different stories about shooters from the grassy knoll and shooters from different directions. >> the lawyers from the commission took 395 depositions. and there were 94 witnesses that appeared before the commission.
7:00 pm
>> lyndon johnson wants the report out so it doesn't interfere with the election in november. >> warren left for dallas because he was a man who had spent his early career as a courtroom prosecutor. he understood a crime scene. he wanted to stand in that window and see whether this was a shot that a marksman could make. while he was there, warren felt he should talk to ruby. there were all these suggestions that ruby had killed oswald to silence him. so warren wanted to hear from ruby himself. >> the warren commission realized they were going to have to invest a lot more time than was anticipated. this may be a two to three-month operation to the conception that it will probably take six months. >> the hourglass of time was running out on them. >> can you say if you still think it was one man? >> i think we'd better not get into that area, you know. the report will cover all of that in great detail. >> this committee labored ten months, then brought forth a documene

81 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on