Skip to main content

tv   The Sixties  CNN  May 25, 2018 8:00pm-10:00pm PDT

8:00 pm
in an average man's life there are two or three emotional experiences burned into his heart and his brain. and no matter what happens to me i'll remember november 22nd as long as i live. >> there has been an attempt on the life of president kennedy. >> they are combing the floors of the texas book depository building to find the assassin. >> did you shoot the president? >> i'm just a patsy.
8:01 pm
>> oswald has been shot at point-blank range, fired into the his stomach. >> police are working on the assumption that oswald's murder was to shut him up. >> elements of the central intelligence agency killed john kennedy. >> a story that has been suppressed. witnesses have been killed. we have a right to know who killed our president and why he died. ♪ ♪ ♪
8:02 pm
♪ in dallas, preparations were already under way for extraordinary police protection when the president should arrive. >> do you anticipate any trouble on the president's arrival? >> because of what has happened here previously we would be foolish, i think, not to anticipate some trouble. i don't -- really i don't anticipate any violence. >> here comes air force number one, the president's plane now touching down. there is mrs. kennedy, and the crowd yells. and the president of the united states. and i can see his sun tan all the way from here.
8:03 pm
>> looking at how things actually went, it wasn't just a trip to dallas, it was a political trip preparing for the 1964 elections. >> shaking hands now with the dallas people, governor and mrs. connolly, governor connolly on your left. >> it was whether kennedy, using all his charisma and influence to get all the squabbling democrats in texas to come together before the election the next year. >> and here comes the president now. in fact he is not in his limo, he's departed his limousine and he is reaching across the fence and shaking hands. >> in those days everybody could get a lot closer to the president. i was standing behind mrs. kennedy and saw a hand reach through the chain link fence and break off one of the red roses. >> thousands of children now swarming, trying to get over the fence. the dallas police trying to keep them back. >> this is great for the people
8:04 pm
and makes the egg shells even thinner for the secret service, whose job it was to guard the man. >> the trip had gone terrifically well in texas. pretty hard to write a script for it going any better. >> thousands will be on hand for that motorcade now, which will be in downtown dallas. >> a number of my classmates were gone, they were at the parade. my father had been invited to have lunch with kennedy at the trade center. there was a mood, a climate of excitement. >> the speech of president kennedy at the dallas trade mart will be broadcast by radio. stay tuned for the dallas speech at the trade mart. on 570 radio. ♪ ♪ ♪ work hard in the daytime rest easy at night ♪ ♪ big boss man won't you hear me when i call ♪ ♪ yeah big boss man won't you
8:05 pm
hear me when i call ♪ ♪ well you ain't so big you just tall and that's all ♪ >> this bulletin just into the news. three shots were fired at the motorcade of president kennedy. today in downtown dallas. >> police radios are carrying that the president has been hit. >> parkland hospital has been advised to stand by for a severe gunshot wound. >> this is walter cronkite, in our newsroom. and -- there has been an attempt on the life of president kennedy. >> just turn the mic on. i can't hear you, johnny. what do you want? you want me to move back a little bit. is it all right now? is this all right? ladies and gentlemen, i would
8:06 pm
like to introduce to you the chief cameraman. and assistant news director. bert, we have brought the people pretty much up to date. would you tell them exactly what you know as of this point? >> well, i was standing at the trade mart, waiting for his arrival there. all of a sudden we saw them approaching, they didn't slow down, as a matter of fact, they were going 70, 80 miles an hour past us. and then i jumped into a police car and went to parkland. >> these two men come in and one of them had a large machine gun and they were hollering for the cots and the stretcher and everything. >> what happened? >> then the president came in behind him and they took both of them back -- >> albert thomas, democrat of texas is standing outside the corridor of the emergency room said he has been told the president was still alive but in very critical condition.
8:07 pm
>> the president has not arrived here. a group of secret service men and other officials has gathered where the president normally would enter and discussing heatedly with one another some subject or other, of course we have no idea what. >> now, here is an announcement from the platform. mr. eric johnson with an announcement. >> it is true, our president, governor connolly in the motorcade, have been shot. we shall tell you as much as we know as soon as we know anything. thank you. the smoother the skin, the more comfortable you are in it.
8:08 pm
and now there's a new way to smooth. introducing new venus platinum. a premium metal handle boosts control... to reveal up to 100% smooth skin. venus but as it grew bigger and bigger,ness. it took a whole lot more. that's why i switched to the spark cash card from capital one. with it, i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy. everything. and that 2% cash back adds up to thousands of dollars each year... so i can keep growing my business in big leaps! what's in your wallet? it can grow out of control, disrupting business and taking on a life of its own. its multi-cloud complexity creating friction... and slowing innovation.
8:09 pm
with software-defined solutions, like hpe onesphere, you can tame the it monster. hewlett packard enterprise. clouds, apps, and insights faster. i had a very minor fender bender tonight! in an unreasonably narrow fast food drive thru lane. but what a powerful life lesson. and don't worry i have everything handled. i already spoke to our allstate agent, and i know that we have accident forgiveness. which is so smart on your guy's part. like fact that they'll just... forgive you... four weeks without the car. okay, yup. good night. with accident forgiveness your rates won't go up just because of an accident. switching to allstate is worth it.
8:10 pm
it's these new fresh-fx car air fresheners from armor all. each scent can create a different mood in my car. like tranquil skies. armor all, it's easy to smell good.
8:11 pm
a gentleman just walked in our studio that i am meeting for the first time, as well as you. this is wfaa tv in dallas, texas. may i have your name please, sir? >> my name is abraham zapruder. >> zapruder? >> yes, sir. >> will you tell us your story. >> i got up about a half hour earlier to get a good spot to shoot some pictures. five-year-old boy and myself were by ourselves on the grass on palmer street. and i asked joe to wave to him. and joe waved and i waved -- >> that is all right, sir. >> as he was waving back he was -- the shot rang out and he slumped down in his seat. >> and then this next one popped and governor connelly grabbed his stomach and kind of laid over to the side. and then another one. it was just all so fast and president kennedy reached up and
8:12 pm
grabbed -- looked like grabbed his ear and blood just started gushing out. >> did you see the person who fired it? >> no, i didn't see the person who fired the weapon. >> you only heard it? >> i only heard it and i looked up and saw this man running up this hill. >> if it's a conspiracy not only the president was hit, the governor was hit. who knows if the next shot would have been for lyndon johnson. johnson's car pulls into the emergency bay at parkland hospital. four agents reach in and grab johnson and pull him out and start to run him down one corridor. looking for a safe place. >> mr. johnson, his whereabouts are being kept secret for security reasons. if anyone knows where mr. johnson is, it is not us at this moment. >> it was a signal moment in our cultural history. suddenly it occurred to us the right thing to do is turn on the television. >> reports continue to come in but in a confused and fragmentary fashion. >> president kennedy has been
8:13 pm
given a blood transfusion at parkland hospital here in dallas in an attempt to save his life. it was odd because there were no commercials. it was just a continuous experience. >> two priests have entered the emergency room at parkland hospital where he rests after the assassination attempt which now was about a half hour ago. >> what are your feelings right now, ma'am? >> i'm absolutely shocked. stunned. we have the same birthday. i am just crazy about him. >> who would want to shoot the president? what did he do? i mean, he has been doing so much for the country. someone goes ahead and shoots him. >> a flash from dallas, two priests who were with president kennedy say he is dead of bullet wounds. this is the latest information we have from dallas. i will repeat with the greatest regret two priests who were with president kennedy say he has
8:14 pm
died of bullet wounds. >> the assistant press secretary was filling in for the regular press secretary. and then he had to draw himself up to give the most fateful announcement that a press secretary might have ever had to give. >> all the cameras were rolling and i remember he put his fingers like this on the desk and pressed very hard to stop his hands trembling. >> john f. kennedy died at approximately 1:00 central standard time. today here in dallas he died of a gunshot wound in the brain. i have no other details regarding the assassination of the president.
8:15 pm
>> the people standing here are stunned just as all of us are beyond belief. that the president of the united states is dead. >> all over the world people are going to remember all their lives what they were doing when they first heard that president kennedy had been killed. >> the crowds are standing around in silence and sorrow in the rain. the strange thing is you don't even notice it is raining. and if you do notice you don't care. >> i just can't believe it. i feel like someone in my own family has died. i just can't believe it. >> ma'am? >> i can't -- like a daze, you don't know what is going on. why? why did it happen? who would have done such a thing is the question.
8:16 pm
>> in the first minutes and hours, chaos and confusion was radiating out from the scene itself. it was very pervasive. >> the secret service agents thought the gunfire came from an automatic weapon fired possibly from a grassy knoll. >> i saw some police. i thought they were chasing a gunman and i ran with them. >> the report is that the attempted assassin, we now hear it was a man and a woman. >> i got to the top, looked around. a policeman went over the fence so i went over the fence too. there was nothing there. >> a television newsman said he looked up just after the shot was fired and saw a rifle being withdrawn from a fifth or sixth floor window. >> it was originally thought that the shots came from here, and now it is believed the shots %-p running back to the texas school depository building. they are going to continue searching in that building for the would-be assassin of the
8:17 pm
president. >> in the federal downtown building, they are combing the area in an effort to find the suspected assassin. >> in the building on the sixth floor we found an area near an window that had been partially blocked off by boxes of books and also the three spent shells that had apparently been fired from a rifle. >> crime lab lieutenant day came out of that building with a british .303 rifle. >> it was a 7.65 mauser. >> a high-powered army or japanese rifle of .25 caliber. >> a .3030 rifle. >> much of the first things you hear are going to be wrong and to some degree you were constantly trying to separate out what seemed to be a fact. >> in dallas, a dallas policeman just a short time ago was shot and killed while chasing a
8:18 pm
suspect. >> j.d. tippit was shot three times in the chest in the oak cliff section of dallas. then the manager of a shoe store saw the suspect walk into the texas theater. >> someone has been arrested in one of the downtown theaters. they don't know if it was the person who shot the policeman or the person who actually shot president kennedy. >> the police dragged him out of theater. hustled him out to the car as the crowd broke and grabbed this man and tried to run with him. they shouted "murder" and the officers hustled him into the car and ran away just as fast as they could. >> as we mentioned a short while ago a number of arrests have been made in dallas in the wake of president kennedy's death. we have scenes of one of those arrests in the downtown area. this is just after a dallas policeman was shot in the vicinity of a downtown movie house.
8:19 pm
>> paul bentley. >> how did you approach him? >> i approached him and as he approached him, the man hit mcdonald in the face. and as he reached for his pistol i grabbed him along with two or three other officers. >> what did he say after he was arrested? >> he just said this is it. it is all over with now. now, brow impact for days. new tattoo studio brow gel from maybelline new york. just apply and blend sets in 1 minute lasts up to 2 days ...for fully defined brows maybelline's tattoo brow. only from maybelline new york.
8:20 pm
anyone can get you ready, holiday inn express gets you the readiest. because ready gives a pep talk. showtime!
8:21 pm
but the readiest gives a pep rally. i cleared my inbox! holiday inn express, be the readiest.
8:22 pm
holiday inn express, i'm a small business, but i have... big dreams... and big plans. so how do i make the efforts of 8 employees... feel like 50? how can i share new plans virtually? how can i download an e-file? virtual tours? zip-file? really big files? in seconds, not minutes... just like that. like everything... the answer is simple. i'll do what i've always done... dream more, dream faster, and above all... now, i'll dream gig. now more businesses, in more places, can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network. this is a picture of him. he probably does not look exactly like this now after he has been questioned. that's lee oswald.
8:23 pm
>> the president was shot. and a police officer is shot. and someone named lee harvey oswald is arrested. oswald may be a suspect in the assassination. who is he? >> lee oswald of dallas, a former marine who spent some time in russia who at one time had applied for soviet citizenship. >> the description that we had of the suspect in oak cliff was similar to the description we had and the man we were looking for as the assassin. but at that time we had not been able to connect it to him in any way. >> down in the third floor corridor, a crowd of cameramen reporters wait for the possible appearance of the man accused of killing the president and a dallas police officer. >> now, apparently a great deal of confusion. mr. oswald is put through the door. i don't know if you saw him,
8:24 pm
oswald lives at 1026 north meckley. he is an employee of a book-binding firm in the building which the police and secret servicemen believe the president was shot today. >> mrs. kennedy accompanied the body in an ambulance to the airport where it will be flown back to washington. >> everybody in the emergency room, the hospital was -- on the first floor they came and said we would have to remove the remains to a casket. >> lyndon johnson ordered that body be brought immediately to air force one. so there was a little tug of war. they almost shook the crucifix off the top of the coffin as they were trying to get that coffin out of the hospital. >> took him in and put him in the hearse and one of the secret
8:25 pm
servicemen, about two or three of them drove off and left mr. o'neil and the rest of us sitting there. >> vice president johnson is expected to be sworn in as president aboard an airliner before flying back to the nation's capital. >> not everyone realized that johnson was already the president, because he in fact had taken the oath in january '61, the same oath the president takes. >> johnson wanted to show the american people that the government was functioning without interruption. and also perhaps he wanted to show that his predecessor's family bore him no ill will for the assassination. >> lyndon johnson is flying back to washington to take the reins of government, at which time president johnson will have to take into his hands the reins of the most powerful nation in the world.
8:26 pm
>> we see november 22nd, 1963 as a date the president was killed. but it was also a date when the president was created. >> is there any doubt in your mind chief that oswald is the man that killed the president? >> i think this is the man that killed the president, yes, sir. >> is there any evidence any one else may have been linked with oswald in this shooting. >> at this time we don't believe so. >> i don't know what this is all about. >> did you kill the president? >> no, sir, i didn't. >> sir? >> did you shoot the president? >> i work in that building. >> were you in that building at the time? >> naturally if i work in that building, yes, sir. >> back up, man. >> they're taking me in because of the fact that i lived in the -- >> did you shoot the president? >> i'm just a patsy. >> this is room 317, homicide
8:27 pm
bureau here at the dallas police station. as you see, they are bringing the weapon allegedly used in the assassination of president john f. kennedy this afternoon at 12:30 here in dallas. >> 6.5 made in italy in 1940. >> police have traced a rifle purchased in chicago by mail order to oswald. he bought it under the alias, of a. heidel. handwriting analysts have established that the handwriting on the purchase order was in fact made by oswald. the price of $12.78, the life of the president of the united states apparently was bought. >> in the wake of the kennedy assassination, the dallas police on the one hand were committing all of their resources to try and solve the crime. >> move in the doorway, get him in the doorway. >> on the other hand they were ill equipped to handle this tsunami of reporters.
8:28 pm
>> well, i was questioned by a judge, but i protested at that time that i was not allowed legal representation. >> in bringing oswald out, they were of course doing something that you would never see happen today, but they were trying to cooperate with the press, with the understanding that there would not be questions shouted to him. >> did you kill the president? >> no, i have not been charged with that. in fact, nobody has said that to me yet. the first thing i heard about it was when the newspaper reporters in the hall asked me that question. >> you have been charged. >> sir? >> you have been charged? >> nobody said what? >> okay. >> what did you do in russia? >> oswald. >> how did you hurt your eye? >> a policeman hit me. >> at 1:35 this morning, a complaint was read.
8:29 pm
it charged that quote, lee harvey oswald did voluntarily and with malice aforethought kill john f. kennedy by shooting him with a gun end quote following the reading of the complaint, oswald said, that's ridiculous. >> within hours of the assassination, it was very obvious to virtually everyone in dallas law enforcement that oswald had killed kennedy. >> chief, can you tell us in summery what directly links oswald to the killing of the president? >> well, the fact that he was on the floor where the shots were fired from immediately before the shots were fired. the fact he was seen carrying a package to the building, the fact that -- >> when was he carrying that package? >> yesterday morning. >> after the shooting in dilly plaza he was the only one in the book depository that fled the building. 45 minutes later he shoots and kills officer j.d. tippit.
8:30 pm
a half-hour later at the texas theater he resisted arrest by pulling his gun on the arresting officer. during 12 hours of interrogation by the dallas police department over the weekend, he told one provable lie after another. >> did you buy that rifle? >> that's the facts you people have been given but i emphatically deny these charges. >> within a day or so thereafter when they discovered what a complete nut this guy was, they were satisfied beyond all reasonable doubt that oswald had acted alone. >> there's only one thing i can tell you without going into the evidence that this case is cinched, that this man killed the president. there is no question in my mind about it. >> we plan to transfer this man, not tonight, he will be here by no later than 10:00 in the morning. why, it will -- that will be early enough for him. >> chief, do you have any concern for the safety of your
8:31 pm
prisoner in due of the high feeling of the people in dallas over the assassination of the president? >> no, but cautions will be taken, of course. but i don't think that the people will try to take the prisoner away from us. it's all about the double ii's with xiidra... ...the only eye drop... ...approved for the signs... ...and symptoms of dry eye. because dry eye can mean... ...more than... ...just dryness. xiidra may provide lasting relief... ...starting in two weeks. one drop in each eye, twice a day. don't use if you are allergic to xiidra.
8:32 pm
common side effects include eye irritation, discomfort or blurred vision when applied to the eye, and unusual taste sensation. don't touch container tip to your eye... ...or any surface. after using xiidra, wait 15 minutes... ...before reinserting contacts. chat with your eye doctor... ...about xiidra. the sun goes down. you run those miles, squeeze the toothpaste from the bottom and floss to set a good example. you fine tune the proposal, change the water jug so no one else has to,
8:33 pm
get home for dinner and feed the cat. you did a million things for your family today but speaking to pnc to help handle all your investments was a very important million and one. pnc. make today the day. john chiang's father came it'here with little money,on. but big dreams for a better future. now john has a chance to make history. a champion of the underdog, john took on wells fargo when it ripped off working families. and against the odds,
8:34 pm
he helped saved california from financial disaster during the great recession. ...leaving more to invest in progressive priorities like education, healthcare and affordable housing. john chiang. the proven, progressive leader we need for california's future.
8:35 pm
all right. let's move. >> lee oswald is to be taken soon to the county jail. >> that's true. >> and you are going to take him there how, sir? >> we are going to use an armored motor vehicle to take him. >> dallas police meant to transfer lee into the regular prison during the night to avoid the press, and then someone must have overruled them so that lee could be photographed by the press during the transfer. >> we're standing by waiting the transfer of oswald from city jail to county jail, and for that report, here is abc's bill lord at the city jail. bill, what is the situation? >> i'm presently in the basement of the dallas municipal building and it's like an armed camp. police officials are frankly worried. they don't want anything to
8:36 pm
happen to oswald. >> it is through this corridor of newsmen, photographers and policemen that lee oswald will be brought to a vehicle for transfer to the dallas county jail, a distance of about 15 blocks, which ironically is just across from the scene where president kennedy was assassinated on friday. >> anticipation has built up here in downtown dallas in front of the county jail. they are waiting for a glimpse of lee oswald. >> there he is. here he comes. >> the prisoner. >> let me have it. i want it. >> being led out by captain fritz. >> there is lee. he's been shot. he's been shot. lee oswald has been shot.
8:37 pm
there is a man with a gun. it's absolute panic. absolute panic here in the basement of the dallas police headquarters. detectives have their guns drawn. there is no question about it. oswald has been shot at point blank range fired into his stomach. >> he's shot. he is shot. oswald -- >> it is oswald. >> did he shoot the man? >> or do you know? >> that's the man that shot the man. >> immediately after the shooting, our only witnesses that we could talk to were other reporters. >> where did he go pierre? >> he was here. they just put the gun there. i saw the flash on the black sweater. >> did you see the gun to his stomach? >> i saw right here. he was in a group of men right here. >> masquerading as one of us or what?
8:38 pm
>> i thought it was one of the detective. he had a hat. >> the situation is now that lee harold oswald has been shot. the man who saw the shot fired said it was fired by a man wearing a black hat, a brown coat, a man that everyone down here thought was a secret service agent. we can hear sirens outside and ambulance apparently is moving down now into the basement. here comes the ambulance. and oswald will be removed now. the ambulance is being pulled up in front of us here. here comes oswald, he's -- he is ashen and unconscious at this time, now being moved in. he is not moving. he's in the ambulance now. attendants, police are quickly moving in. the ambulance is leaving dallas police headquarters. where will he be taken? >> i'm assuming parkland hospital. >> parkland hospital. ironies of ironies, the place where john f. kennedy died.
8:39 pm
>> roll. >> i believe the man -- >> don't take the microphone. keep your head up. let's start again. what is your reaction to the shooting of oswald? >> well, i think it's a deplorable situation. the man is entitled to a fair trial. >> they should give him a fair trial because killing him just like that ain't nothing. because that ain't going to bring president kennedy back to life. and after you get him, let him out on the street and let the people kill him. >> they should not only shoot him but cut him up in the pieces. >> put him everywhere in the fire and set it up and for a next day and the next day start again. >> thank you. >> the man that i believe i didn't see it. i think it's the man. >> you got him?
8:40 pm
what does he look like? >> i can't give you a description now. he is known locally. >> immediately after the ambulance left, somehow i begun to suspect that maybe the shooter was someone who was known to the police. >> do you know this subject? do you know him? have you seen him before? >> yes, i do. >> is he from dallas? >> yes. >> he is -- >> i couldn't tell you. >> do you know what kind of business he happens to be in? >> bob, i wouldn't want to say. >> right. >> dallas city hall is normally a public building, but today it was really under armed guard. >> we -- is this a confirmed report as to who did the shooting? >> as far as i know. >> vic robertson from city hall hall reports that jack ruby, the owner of the carousal, which is a bar in dallas did the shooting. >> my statement will be very brief.
8:41 pm
oswald expired at 1:07 p.m. >> he died? >> he died at 1:07 p.m. we have arrested the man. the man will be charged with murder. >> who is he? >> the man -- the suspect's name is jack rubenstein, i believe. he goes by the name of jack ruby. >> and here at associated press, a still picture of the moment, the splint second as the shot was fired. this is the man dallas police have identified as jack rubenstein and this of course is lee harvey oswald. you see the gun in the hand of ruby and just about to be fired. >> i know my own feelings were and i think they were widely shared by many, if not most americans. this can't be coincidental. the assassin is assassinated in the police station.
8:42 pm
what in the hell is going on? >> just learned from city hall from an authoritative source, that police are working on the assumption that there, indeed, a connection between jack ruby and lee oswald. and that in some manner of speaking, oswald's murder was to shut him up. >> captain fritz has just told me that ruby said he did it, that it was his gun and that he had built up a tremendous grievance over the death of the president. >> in jack ruby's small mind, he thought he would be a hero. he killed the guy who killed the president. >> i commend what he did. i think he ought to win the congressional medal of honor for it. and i lot of good american citizens think he did the right thing in shooting down this communist. >> word also in just now from
8:43 pm
dallas that homicide chief captain will fritz has now said that the case of president kennedy's assassination is closed with the death of oswald. it may not be the opinion of the secret service or the federal bureau of investigation. i no wondering, "what if?" uncertainties of hep c. i let go of all those feelings. because i am cured with harvoni. harvoni is a revolutionary treatment for the most common type of chronic hepatitis c. it's been prescribed to more than a quarter million people. and is proven to cure up to 99% of patients who've have had no prior treatment with 12 weeks. certain patients can be cured with just 8 weeks of harvoni. before starting harvoni, your doctor will test to see if you've ever had hepatitis b,
8:44 pm
which may flare up and cause serious liver problems during and after harvoni treatment. tell your doctor if you've ever had hepatitis b, a liver transplant, other liver or kidney problems, hiv or any other medical conditions and about all the medicines you take including herbal supplements. taking amiodarone with harvoni can cause a serious slowing of your heart rate. common side effects of harvoni include tiredness, headache and weakness. ready to let go of hep c? ask your hep c specialist about harvoni. anyone can get you ready, holiday inn express gets you the readiest. because ready gives a pep talk. showtime! but the readiest gives a pep rally. i cleared my inbox! holiday inn express, be the readiest. holiday inn express, i had a very minor fender bender tonight! in an unreasonably narrow fast food drive thru lane. but what a powerful life lesson. and don't worry i have everything handled. i already spoke to our allstate agent, and i know that we have accident forgiveness.
8:45 pm
which is so smart on your guy's part. like fact that they'll just... forgive you... four weeks without the car. okay, yup. good night. with accident forgiveness your rates won't go up just because of an accident. switching to allstate is worth it.
8:46 pm
but as it grew bigger and bigger,ness. it took a whole lot more. that's why i switched to the spark cash card from capital one. with it, i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy. everything. and that 2% cash back adds up to thousands of dollars each year... so i can keep growing my business in big leaps! what's in your wallet? it's these new fresh-fx car air fresheners from armor all. each scent can create a different mood in my car. like tranquil skies. armor all, it's easy to smell good.
8:47 pm
♪ our nation is bereaved. the whole world is poorer because of his loss but we can all be better americans because john fitzgerald kennedy has passed our way. because he has been our chosen leader at a time in history when his character, his vision and his quiet courage have enabled him to chart a course for us, a safe course for us through the shoals of treacherous seas that encompass the world.
8:48 pm
and now that he is relieved of the almost superhuman burden we imposed on him, may he rest in peace. ♪ >> dallas today had even more to mourn. it held funeral services for one of its own who was a victim of friday's tragedy. officer j.d. tippit. >> it was a funeral of a very different sort today in nearby fort worth. this was the dreary funeral of lee harvey oswald. the pathetic group of mourners
8:49 pm
included his mother, his wife, his brother robert and oswald's two children, one was a babe in arms. the six pallbearers were news men. there were not enough relatives or friends on hand to serve as pallbearers. >> now there is a new flag of the president of the united states flying in the white house. in president kennedy's old oval office, mrs. evelyn lincoln, his secretary, and her aides have removed every scrap, every vestige of the signs of the personal touches of president kennedy. >> we know from history that one test of society is how do they handle the transfer of power at the top? lyndon johnson, whatever you thought of him, a lot of people disliked him greatly, some hated him, would be the president of the united states. i think it shouted about the strength of the country and that
8:50 pm
we swear by the rule of law. >> the president of the united states. states. [ applause ] >> my fellow americans, all i have, i would have given gladly not to be standing here today. >> johnson knows he has to show the country that the ship of state is sailing on under the new captain. but at the same time, he can't appear to be too anxious to assume power and he has to keep the kennedy people on board with him. so that speech means everything.
8:51 pm
>> no words are strong enough to express our determination to continue the forward thrust of america that he began. [ applause ] ♪ >> the people of europe just cannot believe that a lone avenger made his way into a major police station and killed without difficulty the most celebrated and infamous criminal in the united states. >> one of the most important things that happened after oswald's murder was that we were forever denied the why. i mean, people at the time believed he did it. the question was, why? >> there are questions continually coming up about the possibility of an international plot. >> there is still all this
8:52 pm
thought that the russians might be behind it or cuba might be behind it. johnson sees there's a real danger in that. you want to put these rumors to rest. >> investigations into all the facts of these last four days may not be limited to the state of texas or the fbi. some congressmen already have suggested a congressional investigation. >> killing a president wasn't a federal crime at the time. so you had the federal government intervening in still what was a local murder. there certainly was a concern of competing investigations. there was the dallas criminal investigation. there was the state of texas court of inquiry and there were committees on both sides of congress, while, of course the fbi had been given the job to conduct a full-scale investigation. >> johnson realizes something has to be done. he realizes that he has to appoint a body that the public will respect to look into this. >> yes, mr. president.
8:53 pm
>> i've got to have a top blue ribbon presidential commission to investigate this assassination. i want to ask several and chief justice warren as chairman. >> if there is one public governmental personal universally respected for his integrity is the chief justice of the supreme court, earl warren. if there's one person in congress that everyone respects it's richard russell of georgia. he has to get them both on the commission. there is, however, a problem. russell is a segregationist through and through and despises warren for the decisions that he's made on the court. >> johnson thought if they can agree on a verdict, that ought to be satisfying 90% of american public opinion. >> going to direct you to 911. >> i'm highly honored you'd think about me in connection with it. but i couldn't sit there with chief justice warren. >> you can serve with anybody for the good of america and
8:54 pm
you're going to do it. i can't arrest you and i'm not going to put the fbi on you, but you're -- going to serve, i'll tell you that. >> lyndon johnson was known as the greatest salesman one-on-one who ever lived. so he meets first with warren and says, if i asked you to put on your uniform and fight for america, you'd do it. i'm asking you to fight for in a different way. then johnson has to get richard russell. >> mr. president, please now. >> no, it's already done. it's been announced. >> you mean you've -- >> yes, sir, i've gave the announcement. it's already in the papers. you're on it. >> i think you did wrong getting warren. i know damn well you did wrong getting me. but we'll do the best we can. >> that's what you do. that's the kind of american both of you are.
8:55 pm
♪ if you have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis, little things can be a big deal. that's why there's otezla. otezla is not an injection or a cream. it's a pill that treats psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable after just 4 months, ... with reduced redness, thickness, and scaliness of plaques. and the otezla prescribing information has no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't use if you're allergic to otezla. otezla may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. tell your doctor if these occur. otezla is associated with an increased risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts, or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss.
8:56 pm
your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. other side effects include upper respiratory tract infection and headache. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take and if you're pregnant or planning to be. ♪ otezla. show more of you.
8:57 pm
i'm a small business, but i have... big dreams... and big plans. so how do i make the efforts of 8 employees... feel like 50? how can i share new plans virtually? how can i download an e-file? virtual tours? zip-file? really big files? in seconds, not minutes... just like that. like everything... the answer is simple. i'll do what i've always done... dream more, dream faster, and above all... now, i'll dream gig. now more businesses, in more places, can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network.
8:58 pm
produced by nbc news which is solely responsible for its content. >> the warren commission appointed friday night will investigate and make a report on the murder. as yet it has said nothing about how it will proceed or when. in the meantime, again, the fbi is investigating every lead it can find and will turn its report over to president johnson probably this week. >> it was the fbi's hope that its report would be if not the final word, the semifinal word, and that the commission's job would be to read it and then essentially endorse the findings of the report. >> the members of the warren commission, earl warren, john sherman cooper, jerry ford, alan dulles, hale boggs, richard russell, and john j. mccoy realized at their initial meeting they had to do an independent investigation.
8:59 pm
they didn't want to be a stamp for the fbi or the secret service. >> there are three issues the commission had to grapple with. did oswald commit the physical act of the murder? and even if he did the physical act, did he have forces behind him? and then of course, what's ruby's involvement in this? >> you had various branches of the investigation traveling, interviewing witnesses, collecting evidence, bringing it back to the commission. >> let's see. the time of day was about -- well we're not very far, two hours from it. >> there were questions how would they deal with the different stories about shooters from the grassy knoll and shooters from different
9:00 pm
directions. >> the lawyers from the commission took 395 depositions. and there were 94 witnesses that appeared before the commission. lyndon johnson wants the report out so it doesn't interfere with the election in november. >> warren left for dallas because he was a man who had spent his early career as a courtroom prosecutor. he understood a crime scene. he wanted to stand in that window and see whether this was a shot that a marksman could make. while he was there, warren felt he should talk to ruby. there were all these suggests ruby had killed oswald to silence him. so he wanted to hear from ruby himself. >> the warren commission realized they were going to have to invest a lot more time than was anticipated. this may be a two to three-month operation to the conception that it will probably take six months. >> the hour glass of time was running out on them. >> can you say if you still think it was one man? >> i think we'd better not get into that area, you know.
9:01 pm
the report will cover all of that in great detail. >> this committee labored ten months, then brought forth a document close to 1,000 pages. president johnson received that report today. >> what the public understood and what i understood is these were very honorable men. they thought the commission had done a good job, and they would come up with an answer. >> when the warren commission report came out, i believed it. we were still in a time when you tended to believe what officials told you. >> it is now 15 seconds after 6:30 p.m. eastern daylight time, sunday, september the 27th. as of this moment, the report of the president's commission is public record. for the next half hour, we will search it for answers. first must come the answers to the two great overriding questions. who killed john f. kennedy? the commission answered unequivocally lee harvey oswald. was oswald acting alone or was
9:02 pm
he a member of a conspiracy? the commission answers he acted alone. >> we knew most people were not going to read all of the warren commission report. so cbs news wanted to bring to air an understandable form for the public at large what the warren commission itself found. >> there was nothing to support the speculation that oswald was an agent, employee or informant of the fbi or the cia or any other governmental agency. >> oswald owned the murder the mail order purchase slip for rifle. the mail order purchase slip for that rifle was in his handwriting. oswald's palm print was found on a surface of the gun. >> the media had all concluded that this was the most exhaustive investigation, case closed. oswald did it alone. >> the commission concludes that three shots were fired. all of them from this sixth floor window in the texas school book depository. >> the cumulative evidence of
9:03 pm
eyewitness, firearms, and ballistic experts and medical authorities demonstrated that the shots were fired from above and behind president kennedy and governor connally. >> when the warren commission came out with the report, the majority of americans accepted the findings of the warren commission. >> the bullet entered here, came out just below the president's adam's apple. the commission believes that the same bullet then entered the right shoulder of governor connally, passed out through his chest, continued through his right wrist and on into his left thigh. >> the report has been generally accepted throughout the country. i think it reflects the thoroughness with which they went into it. and i think at least it has dispelled many of the rumors and the speculation that has surrounded this quite tragic event. >> it's been very well-covered entirely. it leaves no doubt in my mind that lee actually did assassinate the president of the united states and kill officer tippet. >> in the end, we find
9:04 pm
confronting each other the liar, the misfit, the defector on the one hand, and seven distinguished americans on the other. and yet exactly here we must be careful that we do not say too much. oswald was never tried for any crime, and perhaps therefore there will forever be questions of substance and detail raised by amateur detectives, professional skeptics, and serious students as well. we are the jury, all of us, in america and throughout the world. >> the reaction to the report initially was very positive, but that didn't last very long. >> this book is the number one best seller on the nonfiction list in the country "rush to judgment" by mark lane. it's gained a vast number of readers in the recent groundswell of skepticism about the findings of the warren report. >> we did not envision the breadth and the scope of the criticism. >> the author has some highly provocative and controversial things to say, so please greet mr. mark lane. [ applause ] >> no matter how illustrious the
9:05 pm
members were, we were not going to be reassured by a commission. >> we're already having a little disagreement here while the commercials were on. what were you saying, david? >> well, i think i disagree almost totally with mark lane on several counts. i don't know where to begin. >> let me show you something just in case we have a chance. that is a picture of jack ruby. and this was taken five minutes after the assassination in front of the texas school book depository building. the commission said ruby was not there. the commission published it. he wasn't there when they published the picture because they cropped him out. >> you're accusing chief justice warren and that group of notable americans -- you're accusing them of deliberate malfeasance. >> you are part of the media which prevented the american people from finding out what happened. >> you are alarming the american people! >> i say the american public should be alarmed. >> the public had been kept in the dark for so long about this, but had an undying thirst, which could only be quenched by getting facts. >> we have a right to know who killed our president and why he died.
9:06 pm
and we can't get that from reading the warren report. >> the critics of the warren commission have three different points of view. one, we were simply incompetent. two, we were thoroughly corrupt. some say both of the above. i want someone to tell me that to my face. at&t provides edge-to-edge intelligence, covering virtually every part of your manufacturing business. & so this won't happen. because you've made sure this sensor and this machine are integrated. & she can talk to him, & yes... atta, boy. some people assign genders to machines. and you can be sure you won't have any problems. except for the daily theft of your danish. not cool! at&t provides edge to edge intelligence. it can do so much for your business, the list goes on and on. that's the power of &. & this shipment will be delivered...
9:07 pm
9:08 pm
9:09 pm
at the start, lane was almost alone. now he's just one among a growing band of doubters. their books and articles are on the newsstands, they're in the supermarkets. now according to a recent poll, only one in three americans remains convinced that the warren report has the whole story.
9:10 pm
>> when you have a great number of people devoting their lives to looking at every word, every comma, they can create a lot of mischief. >> i believe very firmly that ruby and oswald knew each other, and certainly tippet and ruby knew each other. >> before we proceed with that kind of questioning, let me ask you. what kind of conspiracy do you think? was it a communist? left wing or right wing conspiracy? >> i am convinced that there were two riflemen. >> the warren commission was set up, as you know, at the request and urging of the communist party. >> it's obvious that he was working for somebody else at that moment, and that somebody else could not be anyone else than fidel castro. >> there's no doubt of oswald having been in the window of that building. >> my opinion, castro -- violence. >> there was an entire world of assassination.
9:11 pm
but some raised valid questions. >> could a bullet which have done as much come out looking like bullet 399? >> it is another one of the very many highly improbables that we are asked to accept by the warren commission if we are to accept the validity of their full report. >> some had completely mad theories. >> cody was killed by a karate chop to the throat in september of, i believe, 1964. >> but everyone i believed had a right to give their views. >> you have apparently succeeded in persuading the majority of the american people that we cannot trust the most august conceivable panel to do a responsible job. >> you talk about faith in these institutions or faith in the fbi as if it's a religious experience to read the warren report. i think to the contrary, you're always supposed to have faith in a democracy in our own ability to look at the facts and reach
9:12 pm
our own conclusions. >> the decreasing trust by americans in their government all started with the kennedy assassination. >> by 1966, there's this cultural revolution in the united states. i mean, we're deeply enmeshed in vietnam. there's a lot of protests and riots. and there's a sense that things have seriously gone wrong. we've gone off the rails since november '63, and the warren report is a very important part of that loss of confidence in the government. >> i don't think that all the facts were brought out. i think something was held back. >> i think they were more involved it it than just oswald. >> i don't know how in the world they could ever reach a conclusion that one person assassinated him. it's ridiculous. i saw the whole thing on television. i just happened to be home at that time. and i don't think that oswald -- i think that he was working for the cia myself. >> why doesn't america believe
9:13 pm
the warren report? >> because of the conspiracy theories, who have put this case under a high-powered microscope, splitting hairs and then proceeding to split the split hairs. the kennedy case is now the most complex murder case by far in world history. nothing even remotely comes close. >> we are left with the series of real and critical questions about the assassination. questions which have not been answered to the satisfaction of the people of the united states. >> when president kennedy was killed, he was not killed by one man. he was shot from a number of different directions by different guns. the story has been suppressed. witnesses have been killed. and this is your country. >> we aren't trying to hide a thing from you or from mr. epstein or mr. lane or the world. we are laying it all out. that's right here in the notes of testimony. and if we have transposed in error a possibly into a probably, then we are delighted to have you point it out to us. but you can do so only because
9:14 pm
we've laid it on the line. >> the warren report said that lee harvey oswald shot the president from his window in the texas school book depository. three years after kennedy's assassination, the major question is still a simple one. did the warren commission, with all that time and all these resources, get its answers right? tonight, we'll go over those arguments one by one, area by area. as the assassination was taking place, a dallas businessman called abraham zapruder stood behind that low concrete wall looking down at elm street. >> as the president was coming down from houston street and making his turn, it was about halfway down there, i heard a shot. and i heard another shot or two. i couldn't say whether it was one or two. and i saw his head practically open up, all blood and everything. and i kept on shooting. >> the warren commission could use the film and each frame to reconstruct each moment of the assassination. >> part of the reason why i think the film captured the
9:15 pm
american imagination is because it pushes us to think about something more complex. and each person who looks at it, you know, people see different things. >> where did the shots come from? if the shots did not all come from the book depository window, then there was most likely some form of conspiracy. >> i think that the massive head wound where the president's head was literally blown apart came from a quartering angle on the grassy knoll, it struck and his head doesn't go directly back this way but it goes back and over this way, which would be consistent with the shot from that direction and newton's law of motion. >> seven men on a railroad bridge right here said that when the shots were fired, they looked toward the wooden fence and each of the seven said he saw puffs of white smoke come from here. >> you glance over underneath that green tree, and you can see a little puff of smoke. it looked like a puff of steam
9:16 pm
or cigarette smoke. >> when you stopped to think about it, no one saw anyone with a gun, rifle on the grassy knoll. no expended cartridges from a weapon were found there. not one bullet, other than those fired from oswald's rifle, has ever been found and linked to the assassination. >> now, there were two doctors and one priest who claimed -- who said flatly that there were entrance wounds in the president's neck. >> if the wound in the president's throat was an entrance wound, then clearly, this would be proof that the bullet came from the front. >> mark lane has suggested that this wasn't an exit wound by the president's tie but an entry wound. that kennedy was hit in the throat from the front. >> the doctor at parkland didn't want to talk about the president's injuries, but the press, more or less, forced him to. and the wound in the president's throat was pretty clean. he thought it was an entrance
9:17 pm
wound. >> what about this wound that you observed in the front of the president's neck? >> actually, i didn't really give it much thought. and i realize that perhaps it had been better had i done so. >> there was a wound in the back of the neck that had not been seen by the parkland doctors because they never turned the body over. >> you did not turn the president over? >> no, there was really no reason. to me, made very little difference to me, since my immediate concern was with attempted resuscitation. >> you can explain this ad infinitum and people will only remember that a doctor at parkland said he'd been shot, you know, from possibly the front. so it's kind of trying to put the genie back in the bottle. >> a bullet hit the president from the back, bullet hit him from the front. the bullet which killed him came from the right front. unless the laws of physics were not working that day, the reaction of the president tells
9:18 pm
us where that shot came from. >> some critics say by the very fact that in the picture, you can clearly see the explosion of the bullet on the front side of the president, that that certainly indicates the bullet came from the front. >> well, i don't believe any physicist has ever said that. quite contrary, it does indicate that the bullet was coming from behind. it's a minor explosion where pieces of material go generally in the direction of the bullet. >> if you look at the individual frames of the zapruder film, at 312, frame 312, the president's head's okay. at frame 313, 1/18th of a second later, the president is struck in the head. and what direction is the president's head pushed? not backwards, but slightly forward.
9:19 pm
>> is there any doubt that the wound at the back of the president's head was the entry wound? >> there is absolutely no doubt, sir. >> so at the all-important moment of impact, the president's head is pushed forward, indicating a shot from the rear where lee harvey oswald was. there they are, your neighbors. you like them. they always remember everyone's names. your kids love swimming in their pool. you like them. if you forget your trunks, they'll loan you some. they have a section in their stock portfolio just for pool stuff. everyone likes them. you like them. but you'd like them better if you made more money than they do. don't get mad at your well-liked neighbors. get e*trade. washed out, sometimes. washed up? never. age perfect rosy tone moisturizer from l'oreal. created to flatter your skin tone. flattery will get you everywhere. with lha and imperial peony extract.
9:20 pm
science, it's a wonderful thing. increases cell renewal. boosts skin's rosy tone - instantly. age perfect rosy tone moisturizer. and now, new rosy tone mask. from l'oreal paris. we've still got it. and we're still worth it. i'm your phone,istle text alert. stuck down here between your seat and your console, playing a little hide-n-seek. cold... warmer... warmer... ah boiling. jackpot. and if you've got cut-rate car insurance, you could be picking up these charges yourself. so get allstate, where agents help keep you protected from mayhem... ...like me. mayhem is everywhere.
9:21 pm
are you in good hands?
9:22 pm
i'm a small business, but i have... big dreams... and big plans. so how do i make the efforts of 8 employees... feel like 50? how can i share new plans virtually? how can i download an e-file? virtual tours? zip-file? really big files? in seconds, not minutes... just like that. like everything... the answer is simple. i'll do what i've always done... dream more, dream faster, and above all... now, i'll dream gig. now more businesses, in more places, can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network. cbs news inquiry, the warren report continues. >> the time span between shots is a point upon which the critics have seized. could oswald have fired three shots in 5.6 seconds? >> there was a lot of attention being given to the zapruder film
9:23 pm
and exactly when the president was hit first and second. >> cbs news had a tower and target track constructed to match exactly the heights and distances in dealey plaza. >> if there wasn't enough time, then you would have a second shooter. oswald was not an expert shot. he was a good shot. but making the shots was not that tough at all. cbs did it. a guy from the military did it. >> three shots he got off in 2.6 seconds. >> the zapruder film became the lens through which the assassination was seen. if it didn't happen on the zapruder film, it didn't happen. zapruder started his camera after the limousine was about 70 feet into dealey plaza. well, oswald had the president in his sights for many seconds before that. and this gets into the whole
9:24 pm
questions, how much time did oswald have to shoot the president? >> there are so many interesting questions and problems that come from the film. we believe so much in the image. we believe so much in the sort of ultimate truth of film and of images. then they become our memory. >> is it impossible that the bullet would have gone through president kennedy, gone through governor connally and not suffered any more damage than is shown in this photograph? >> i would hesitate really to say that it is absolutely 100% impossible. but it is highly improbable. >> could a single bullet have wounded both president kennedy and governor connally? the single bullet theory has perhaps become the most controversial aspect of the report. >> if one bullet couldn't shoot men, it meant there were two shooters and there was a conspiracy. >> the conspiracy theorists claim that the second shot was a magic bullet. they argue that a bullet would have had to make a right turn then a left turn in mid-air.
9:25 pm
the reality is that connally was not seated directly in front of kennedy. >> if you figure out the alignment of where the men sat, and if you look down as i did and as the others did who conducted the on-site tests, and had the automobile placed in the position, it is perfectly plain, i submit to you, that the bullet that exited from president kennedy's throat would have to strike either the automobile, which it did not, or someone else in the automobile. >> to believe that it didn't hit governor connally, that would be a real magic bullet, one that disappeared in thin air. >> we go to the dallas county courthouse for more developments on the jack ruby verdict. jack ruby has just been found guilty of murder with malice and has been given the maximum sentence, death in the electric
9:26 pm
chair after the jury deliberated 2 hours and 25 minutes. >> just what do you think of this verdict? >> i believe that jack ruby was a paid killer to close the mouth of my son, lee harvey oswald. >> the question of whether ruby knew oswald before or was in cahoots to kill him is one of the most important questions. because ruby knew people in criminal activities, there was a lot of investigation about a potential conspiracy. >> ruby would have been one of the most unlikely and worst hit men that the mob could ever get. >> on november the 24th, 1963, lee harvey oswald is supposed to have been transferred at 10:00. at 10:00, the evidence is undisputed that jack ruby was at home asleep. then he got dressed and drove downtown. >> the receipt shows that ruby was sending a money order to one of his strippers from a western union office across from the courthouse at 11:17 a.m.
9:27 pm
>> we know that at 11:20, three minutes later, a block away, jack ruby killed lee harvey oswald. the evidence showed that he was down there anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds. 5 to 15 seconds. if this is a hired assassin who is supposed to have some advanced information, he is the world's best gunman. >> what type of man is he? >> jack is a very emotional-type person. and as i was saying awhile ago, he's the type man that probably would give you the shirt off his back at one moment and then turn around and do something as nutty as this in the next. >> i never used the term "angry." that's not in my vocabulary. >> he was known for a quick temper. and later, as it turned out, he was hooked on two kinds of speed, preludin and benzadrine, at the time of the shooting. >> he had been here at the police station during the past two days talking with newsmen
9:28 pm
and distributing his card, also making friends. >> jack ruby was a police and media groupie. ruby thought he was our friend. >> so i'm in this very same room friday night when we had the defendant up here. if some of you will recall, he asked a question from out here. no, standing right back here. i didn't know who he was. i thought he was a member of the press. and he told me as we walked out of here that he was a nightclub operator. >> ruby's act was that of a vigilante. he wanted nothing more to be known -- people to flock to his nightclub to shake the hand of the man who killed the man who killed the president. >> i might add, if ruby silenced oswald for the mob, who was supposed to silence jack ruby? he died of normal causes over three years later. now, one would think that the conspiracy community would fold its tent and go home. but they continued undaunted and
9:29 pm
unfazed with this obsession. >> their game is to fool you. these people want the investigation stopped. they don't want a trial at all. please believe me. it's time for the semi-annual sale with savings on the new sleep number 360 smart bed. it senses your every move and automatically adjusts on both sides to keep you effortlessly comfortable. and snoring.... does your bed do that? right now during our semi-annual sale save up to $700 on sleep number 360 smart beds. plus 36 month financing.
9:30 pm
ends memorial day. no one thought much of itm at all.l people said it just made a mess until exxonmobil scientists put it to the test. they thought someday it could become fuel and power our cars wouldn't that be cool? and that's why exxonmobil scientists think it's not small at all. energy lives here.
9:31 pm
9:32 pm
9:33 pm
the most recent, most spectacular development in the oswald case involves the cia. it involves, too, the spectacular district attorney of new orleans, a man they call the jolly green giant. >> you believe that lee harvey oswald did not shoot president kennedy? >> i do not want to get involved in the speculations as to individuals, but i will say that there's no question about the fact that there was a plot and there were a number of individuals involved. >> in 1967, he announced "i've solved the case. i've found the real assassin." >> we will make arrests based on that, and we will make charges based on that, and we will obtain convictions based on that. >> now, you wouldn't have paid much attention to this, except he was district attorney of new orleans. >> i've spent hour after hour with jim garrison. he has presented his case to me,
9:34 pm
detail by detail. >> the mark lane's and the conspiracy theorists all flocked initially to garrison. >> and i can report that a powerful domestic force, a force that is still part of the american structure, planned and initiated those acts that resulted in the assassination of president kennedy. >> they all thought here's a guy who's finally going to bring the case that we have been, you know, arguing about for years. >> if i seem somewhat confident, it is because our office is in its fifth year and has never lost a murder case. >> the press initiatively built garrison up, because everybody believes no district attorney in his right mind would do this unless he had something. >> arrested this evening in the district attorney's office was clay shaw, age 54, of 1313 darby street, from new orleans, louisiana. mr. shaw will be charged with participation in a conspiracy to murder john f. kennedy. >> the charges filed against me have no foundation in fact or in
9:35 pm
law. i have not been apprised of the basis of these fantastic charges, and assume that in due course, i'll be furnished with the information and afforded an opportunity to prove my innocence. >> clay shaw was a very respected business man in new orleans. he had served in world war ii. >> the concept of clay shaw being part of an assassination conspiracy was too weird to be believed. >> clay shaw was also a homosexual and closeted, and i think that played a part. >> this decision to arrest clay shaw, i believe, was intended to get the national media back to town. as soon as he arrested clay shaw, they all came back. >> and then they realized the truth that there isn't anything there. >> garrison has based his case
9:36 pm
on the certainty that he can prove clay shaw is clay or clem bertrand. the name clam bertrand was first introduced by lawyer dean andrews who said a person by that name telephoned him, suggesting he provide legal defense for oswald. >> he described him as having gay tendencies and representing gays as a lawyer. therefore, garrison believed clem bertrand must be clay shaw. that was the extent of garrison's investigation. >> do you have enough evidence now to go to trial? >> well, if i answered that, i shouldn't be district attorney. >> the case he has built against clay shaw is based on testimony that did not pass a lie detector test that garrison ordered and garrison knew it. >> can you say positively that the person you knew as clay bertrand is not the person you have seen as clay shaw? >> scout's honor, he is not. >> garrison started bribing
9:37 pm
witnesses, intimidating witnesses. >> he said i could be made to serve this whole nine-year sentence. or i could be cut loose right away. >> hypnotizing witnesses. >> we decided to give him objectifying to make sure he was telling the truth. >> does he have a last name? >> oswald. >> would you say these methods were illegal? >> i would very say illegal and unethical. >> he had everyone and their grandmother involved in the assassination. at one time, it was oil millionaires. then it was the minutemen. then it was a homosexual killing. >> yes, sir. >> do you feel that homosexuality or the coercion of homosexuality was a factor in the planning or the assassination of john f. kennedy? >> no comment. >> at one point, he had 15 assassins in dealey plaza. with that many assassins, i don't know how kennedy made it to the autopsy table. >> garrison announced he had
9:38 pm
discovered a code. >> garrison said jack ruby's unlisted telephone number appears in address books belonging to shaw and oswald. >> you take p and o and use a telephone dial, p gives you 7, o gives you 6. >> he just changed the digits around, added digits, added letters. >> and you reconstruct the numbers, and then you subtract 1,300, and that gives you ruby's unlisted telephone number. >> mr. garrison, if the p.o. didn't exist until late '65, how could it then be jack ruby's phone number? >> well, that's a problem for you to think over because you, obviously, missed the point. >> he pointed to cia agents supporting a conspiracy. >> who is suppressing all of this information on whose order? >> i'll tell you who is suppressing it. the federal government is suppressing it. >> who in the federal government? >> the administration. the administration of your government is suppressing it because they know that the central intelligence agency --
9:39 pm
>> on whose order? >> on the order of the president of the united states. >> mr. garrison has come up with no credible evidence to support any of his theories. >> i think that it's unfortunate that the media of this country has become so hysterical for fear of what it might see, that it spends a good deal of its time and energy attacking the one serious investigation. >> the results of this four months of public investigation have been to damage reputations, to spread fear and suspicion and, worst of all, to exploit the nation's sorrow and doubt of kennedy's death. >> i can't make any more comments about the case except to say anybody that thinks it's just a theory is going to be awfully surprised when it comes to trial. >> roll one, sound on film, clay shaw trial. clay shaw came to court in good spirits today with his long-awaited trial under way, shaw seems almost relieved that his case is finally being heard. shaw sits quietly in this courthouse, chain smoking cigarettes. he does not react when the state
9:40 pm
talks about things like conspiracy. >> the trial went on for six weeks. it's important to note that not one witness produced by garrison survived cross-examination. they were all proven to be unreliable, at best. >> the most shameful thing you've ever seen. everyone knew in the courtroom that clay shaw couldn't possibly have been more innocent. >> in a unanimous verdict by a 12-man jury, shaw was found not guilty of charges that he conspired to kill the late president john kennedy. >> clay, we have our first question. why did you do it? [ laughter ] >> after the not guilty verdict, editorials around the country, one of the darkest chapters in american jurisprudence history. it's just a crime. >> from what i saw and heard, i didn't think he proven clay shaw's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. i would have voted not guilty
9:41 pm
for clay shaw. >> i think that garrison feels that the end justifies the means. and he felt that if he could bring to the american people what he considered the truth about the death of their president, any means whatsoever was supposed to be used. it didn't matter much who got hurt in the process. >> i would sum it up by saying that any society which allows a man like jack kennedy to have the top of his head torn off and then protects the assassins and obstructs any inquiry and attempt to find the truth is not a great society.
9:42 pm
i no wondering, "what if?" uncertainties of hep c. i let go of all those feelings. because i am cured with harvoni. harvoni is a revolutionary treatment for the most common type of chronic hepatitis c. it's been prescribed to more than a quarter million people.
9:43 pm
and is proven to cure up to 99% of patients who've have had no prior treatment with 12 weeks. certain patients can be cured with just 8 weeks of harvoni. before starting harvoni, your doctor will test to see if you've ever had hepatitis b, which may flare up and cause serious liver problems during and after harvoni treatment. tell your doctor if you've ever had hepatitis b, a liver transplant, other liver or kidney problems, hiv or any other medical conditions and about all the medicines you take including herbal supplements. taking amiodarone with harvoni can cause a serious slowing of your heart rate. common side effects of harvoni include tiredness, headache and weakness. ready to let go of hep c? ask your hep c specialist about harvoni.
9:44 pm
the sun goes down. you run those miles, squeeze the toothpaste from the bottom and floss to set a good example. you fine tune the proposal, change the water jug so no one else has to, get home for dinner and feed the cat. you did a million things for your family today but speaking to pnc to help handle all your investments was a very important million and one. pnc. make today the day. pah! thano, no, no, nah.k. a bulb of light?!? aha ha ha! a flying machine? impossible! a personal' computer?! ha! smart neighborhoods running on a microgrid. a stadium powered with solar. a hospital that doesn't lose power.
9:45 pm
amazing. i like it. never gonna happen. information concerning the cause of the death of your president has been withheld from you. >> to show you how uncredible the conspiracy theorists are, over the last 50 years, at one time or another, they have accused 42 groups, 82 assassins, and 214 people of being involved in the assassination. >> could oswald really have done this? >> as a reporter, the greatest
9:46 pm
story for us would have been to find out somebody other than oswald did it. and we tried hard to do that. but at every turn with the kennedy assassination, things pointed to oswald as not only a shooter, but the shooter and the only shooter. >> at its core, this is a very simple case. >> did you kill the president? >> i don't know what this is all about. >> if a person is innocent of a crime, chances are, there isn't going to be any evidence pointing toward his guilt. why? because he's innocent. but with oswald, the physical evidence, the direct and circumstantial evidence, scientific evidence, everything points towards his guilt. we'll never know why lee harvey oswald killed kennedy because he's dead. but there are certain things we do know. >> at the age of 13, a probation officer said he remembered oswald as a truant, a troubled boy in need of psychiatric help without which he might turn violent.
9:47 pm
>> after starting in high school, he promptly joined the marines. oswald's marine career ended in 1959 when he was dishonorably discharged. a month later, he was in moscow where he announced his decision to renounce his american citizenship. >> are you an marxist? >> i would very definitely say that i am a marxist, correct. but that does not mean, however, i am a communist. >> he desperately wants to become a soviet citizen, renounce his american citizenship. they turn him down. what does he do? he slashes his wrists, tries to commit suicide. >> lee harvey oswald had these dreams or delusions that he'd been harboring for a long time of an act that would lift him from his obscurity. >> a squad mate of his in the marines said that oswald wanted to do something that 10,000 years from now, people would be talking about. >> it looked to me like a stupid, irrational act. the opportunity presented itself to him and he probably wanted to
9:48 pm
make a mark on society and it suddenly occurred to him that he could. >> people who think oswald was sort of a patsy and such an ineffectual, innocent person forgot that when oswald was stopped by a police car and a policeman gets out to talk to him, oswald shoots him four times in the middle of the body. that plus his previous attempt on general walker. interestingly on saturday morning in "the dallas morning news," it said that there may be a connection between this guy who was just arrested for killing a police officer and president kennedy. and this effort to assassinate general walker back in april. >> oswald used to attend a small discussion group. and he began to rail against this right wing general, edwin walker, who was calling for the invasion of cuba.
9:49 pm
>> general walker was about as right wing as you got in the early '60s. and oswald saw walker as an american adolf hitler. >> and oswald said someone should kill walker. he then ordered a rifle with a sniper scope, and he planned very meticulously his assassination of general walker. he took photographs from different angles, he figured out how to get his rifle there and how to escape. >> on march 31st, a sunday, he asked marina to come out and take his photograph. >> all in black, pistol, rifle in his hand, holding a few radical newspapers, and marina writes on the back "hunter of fascist" and dates it april 6th, 1963. >> and then he went on the night of the 10th of april, took up
9:50 pm
his place and shot at general walker. >> he came in the house 11:30. he was so pale, nervous. and i said, "what happened to you?" and he said -- he told, "i tried to shot general walker." >> will you describe for us just what happened last night? >> rifle shot, fired into the house. fired through the west window. and hit the sill and hit the wall across the room and went over the desk, at which i was sitting. >> he was very disappointed to find out that he missed by less than an inch. >> it shows his ability to plan who his target was and that oswald was capable of violence. >> i think that was kind of the rosetta stone that if you understood the walker shooting, you understood that lee was like a cocked rifle. and he could go off any time.
9:51 pm
♪ >> what set the conspiracy notion about the kennedy assassination among many americans was the sheer incongruity of the affair. all of it wiped out in one instance by a skinny, weak-chinned little character. >> it is true that the answers but what a powerful life lesson. and don't worry i have everything handled. i already spoke to our allstate agent, and i know that we have accident forgiveness. which is so smart on your guy's part. like fact that they'll just... forgive you...
9:52 pm
four weeks without the car. okay, yup. good night. with accident forgiveness your rates won't go up just because of an accident. switching to allstate is worth it. it's the fuel that helps power color this stunning and hair this healthy looking, every time you color. it's the oil-powered formula in olia. it propels color deep into hair and without ammonia. it's in the oils. olia. brilliant color, visibly healthier hair.
9:53 pm
9:54 pm
9:55 pm
to some questions leave us restless. the theory that a single bullet struck down the president and the governor, for example, has too much of the long arm of coincidence about it for us to be entirely comfortable. >> it doesn't satisfy our sense of narrative or justice that a small person of no distinction can be of such historical
9:56 pm
consequences to killed the president of the united states. >> but would we be more comfortable believing that a second shot was fired by a second assassin who materialized out of thin air for the purpose, fired a shot, and then vanished again into thin air, leaving behind no trace of himself, his rifle, his bullet, or any other sign of existence. >> there were two groups of people. there's one group that will look at an extraordinary coincidence, a cataclysm of circumstance and say, yes, that's the way the world works. there's another group of people for whom that is quite unsettling. >> they don't want to believe that something so random could have occurred. can you believe that you can step off a curb some day and be killed by an oncoming car? nobody believes in that kind of possibility for themselves. but it happens. is life that fortuitous? that uncertain. >> and for them, oddly, the notion of the conspiracy is more comforting than the absence of
9:57 pm
it. because if there's a conspiracy, at least there's a plan. >> i think the five bullets fired from at least two different directions, the result of a conspiracy. >> kennedy's killing touches off a belief in the idea, you can't trust government. >> there has been a loss of morale. a loss of confidence among the american people toward their own government and the men who serve it. and that is perhaps more wounding than the assassination itself. >> they've lost so much faith in government that they actually think that the government is an accessory after the fact to the president's murder, can't get too much worse than that. >> the assassination changed the trajectory of the '60s. america was a different place on the day before john f. kennedy was killed. so when you look at this america as a whole in the 20th century,
9:58 pm
you look at america in the 60s, you really say, that day was the dividing point. >> i guess in the average man's life, there are two or three emotional experiences that he doesn't forget. because they're burned into his heart and his brain. and no matter what happens to me, i will remember november the 22nd as long as i live. it is impossible for me to this day, and i'm sure ten years from now to drive through dallas and look at the book depository building and impossible to drive by this morning and not think about the day president kennedy died there. it will always be with us. >> kennedy, along side other presidents, johnson, nixon, gerald ford, jimmy carter, reagan and two bushes, even bill clinton, people, they don't
9:59 pm
remember what they did, but they remember their rhetoric. and they remember the images. >> ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. >> this is what people wish for again in the government. they want someone who inspires them. who gives them hope. for whom they have a kind of admiration. kennedy standing hold on the public i think will only fade if and when we get another president about whom they feel the same way as they currently feel about kennedy. ♪ ♪
10:00 pm
stand by. here we go. >> take one. >> the average time spent watching television is five to six hours per day. >> holy residuals. >> there's a reason for calling it the boob tube and the idiot box. >> let's change the channel. >> we want to rap about our scene. >> yeah. >> we must give the american viewer the kind of quality that he deserves.

31 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on