Skip to main content

tv   New Day With Alisyn Camerota and John Berman  CNN  June 4, 2018 4:00am-5:00am PDT

4:00 am
meddle in any investigation, and pardon himself with impaoupity. that's a heck of a gig, not to argue a legal argument. rudy guiliani said the president should is shoot james comey and not be prosecuted. of course we should be circumspect what is being said about the president's lawyers because they now admit they died in a letter to robert mueller in january. >> president trump has photographed smiling with the brutal members of the north korean regime is at the same time alienating or at least angering u.s. allies, including canada and the european union over his plan for tariffs. is canada a security threat?
4:01 am
and will retaliation hit people here in the u.s.? we'll talk about all of that. let's begin our coverage with kaitlan collins live at the white house. good morning, kaitlan >> reporter: good morning, alisyn. what we saw this weekend is what we have suspected all along. that is when it comes down to the wire with the special counsel's investigation, the president and his legal team are prepared to make a very broad argument about the use of his executive power, so broad in fact, that they believe that the president is above the law. president trump's legal team making a bold new claim about their expansive view of his executive power in an attempt to justify why he shouldn't face any legal liability in the russia investigation. mr. trump's attorney, rudy guiliani, telling "the huffington post", it is impossible to subpoena or indict a sitting president no matter the offense claiming if he shot james comey, he would be
4:02 am
impeached the next day. impeach him and then you can do whatever you want to him. and rudy guiliani raising questions about the extent of the president's pardoning power? >> he has no intention of >> do you and the president's attorneys believe the president has the ability to pardon had himself? >> he has no intention of pardoning himself. he probably does. doesn't say he can't. >> reporter: this hours after the "new york times" publish aid confidential letter that attorneys jay sekulow and john dowd sent to robert mueller in january, asserting the president can't obstruct justice because it gives him the quality to "terminate the inquiry or even exercise his power to pardon if he so desired, an argument that is far from settled. >> it is an outrageous claim. it was wrong. they were trying to make a broad argument. >> reporter: his lawyers argued there is no need to sit down with mueller and he can't be foreshadowing a subpoena fight. >> let them walk through their investigation. but i think if there's no collusion, it's time to wind this down.
4:03 am
>> reporter: also in the letter, a bombshell revelation that the president's lawyers acknowledge the president dictated the misleading statement from donald trump jr., a statement the lawyers called accurate, about the purpose of his meeting with russians at trump tower during the 2016 campaign. despite an explicit denial from the white house last summer. >> he certainly didn't dictate. but, you know, like i said, he weighed in, offered suggestion like any father would do. >> reporter: one month earlier, sekulow strongly refuting the claim multiple times in july after it was revealed donald trump jr. took the meeting with the promise of getting dirt on hillary clinton, not as he initially said to discuss adoptions. >> i wasn't involved in the statement drafting at all, nor of the president. >> the president didn't sign off on anything. i want to be clear the president was not involved in the drafting
4:04 am
of the statement and did not issue the statement. it came from donald trump jr. >> reporter: giuliani arguing the shifting reasons are the reason the president shouldn't testify. >> this is the reason you don't let the president testify. it's, you know, our recollection keeps changing. >> reporter: so giuliani making the argument that the president can pardon himself but he wasn't because it would lead to his impeachment. so far the republican party, which controls congress, has failed to draw any kind of red line regarding the special counsel's investigation. now, all of that is going on today while also all eyes are looking out for the first lady who has not been seen in public since she underwent the medical procedure at walter reed three weeks ago today. she will be at an event for gold star families this afternoon at the white house but we won't see her because it is closed to the press. pair that with also the first lady did not travel with the president and several is other
4:05 am
family members to camp david this weekend. and she won't be going to canada and is singapore with the president this weekend and next week. a lot of questions about the status of the first lady but very few answers, john and alisyn. >> thank you very much for all of that. we have jeffrey toobin and david gregory. the memo that the trump team seems to be hinging their argument on, that the president cannot be indicted is from 2000 from the department of justice. let me read it to you. the indictment or criminal prosecution of a sitting president would be unconstitutional because it would impermissibly interfere with the president's ability to carry out his constitutionally assigned functions and thus would be inconsistent with the constitutional structure. so that i understand. that's not settled law. but that is -- that spells it out. from 2000. in other words, they didn't
4:06 am
invent this. this is 18 years ago when they said a president can't be indicted. >> that's right. there is an earlier department of justice opinion from the 70s with the same conclusion. that's not the shocking part of what the memo says and what rudy guiliani has been saying is. to me the shocking part is the argument that he can do whatever he wants without impugnity for anyone. he can fire anyone. he can pardon himself. that could have accountability in congress in the form of impeachment. >> does the memo cover this? it gets in the way of the business of the united states. >> and that's quite possibly correct. but i think the problem with what giuliani has been saying is that it bleeds between impeachment and criminal prosecution. yes, it may be true that you can't be criminally pros cued.
4:07 am
that doesn't mean the underlying conduct will be permissible in the eyes of congress. >> a great legal skarl once told me eight minutes ago, that president hasver claim this before. that was jeffrey toobin who said that to me. it is notable. they are claiming powers here that go so far beyond anything we have seen before. >> right. and those would be tested if it came to that. think about this logic they want us to follow which is, well, if there was no collusion and this is just overreach. yeah, so the president lied when he said he didn't dictate a letter about a statement about what don jr. was doing with a meeting with russians about dirt on hillary clinton politically. yeah, maybe he didn't tell the
4:08 am
truth as to why he fired jim comey or the fact that he fired jim comey. but all of that should be protected under the guise of pushing back on an investigation that was totally inappropriate. and kevin mccarthy, likely to become the next house speaker, closing ranks saying, well, there's no evidence of collusion, as if he knows, therefore we should wind this investigation down. so it's not just what they're asserting on behalf of the president, it is what republicans are asserting as a normal way to operate that completely contradicts what reps were saying years ago about the impeachment procedures against bill clinton. they are closing ranks. they are making it pretty clear that they are not going to make a move politically on donald trump. >> but this is really the story of the trump presidency, which ishe republican party is completely united around donald trump. whatever he does, whether it's
4:09 am
on trade -- >> not completely. we are starting to hear bob corker say they are had he preparing something. >> but they're not. they haven't done anything, and they won't do anything. this is donald trump's party. i thought john boehner of all people was so right when he said there's no more republican party. there's a trump party. donald trump has basically led the republican party with complete impugnity for everything he says. we always drag out jeff flake, senator from arizona, who is not running. he represents nobody in the republican party anymore. it is all trump supporters. and that's what the statements are all directed to. >> well, what's interesting about what jeffrey is saying, and i don't disagree, there are conservatives, supporters of a guy like jeff flake. they are willing to compartmentalize their conservative beliefs to say this president is fighting against
4:10 am
all of these press. >> we are talking about sending messages of his pardons with dip tpherb d'souza. i don't care about it. i'm house majority leader, and i don't care. the president's lawyer lied to the american people. either he lied or the president lied to him. this business about donald trump jr.'s meeting at trump tower, joe sekulow repeatedly said the president wasn't behind it, wasn't involved, didn't write it. let's remind people what he said. >> that was written by donald trump jr. and i'm sure in consultation with his lawyer. >> the president did not sign anything.
4:11 am
>> he certainly didn't dictate. he weighed in, offered suggestion like any father should do. >> the president dictated the letter. so all of that was wrong. >> the thing that i love, what rudy guiliani was saying, this is why we can't have him testifying because people's recollections keep changing. actually, you know what, there is only one truth. if you tell the truth, you don't have to worry about making false statements. i just found that statement byg. >> does it tell you the fact that they now -- the fact that they knitted in the letter, in the memo that the president did dictate it, does that tell you the reason they had to admit it. there is no reason they have no now told the truth is that someone, like hope hicks who knew the truth, testified to the
4:12 am
truth, and then the administration had to own up? >> absolutely. absolutely. because, remember, that letter that we keep talking about was written in january of this year. the mueller investigation had had been going on since may. so they had talked to a lot of people by that point. you know, the facts were starting to be known. they were adjusting their story in line with the facts. the idea that people have been lying for so long and such enthusiasm. >> it is not a crime to lie to the press for the american people. but should it be upsetting when it is that blatant. >> yeah, it should be upsetting. trump and his support issers would say, yeah, but, but, but. what about all of these other lies you have heard from politicians in the past?
4:13 am
what's important to also point out is what we think we know is very little. are they making this admission now because they have other information -- they know hope hicks or somebody has said something to the special prosecutor. think how much is out there that we don't know and they may not know, certainly congress doesn't know that may ultimately shed light whether there was obstruction of justice the or something else. that becomes important. that says something about why they don't want the president in front of -- >> they told us the reason they are afraid of the president sitting down is he might lie. he might lie. >> and the broader argument which is, well, all of these lies, even obstruction, it was worth it. it was okay because of how awful this investigation was. that is the argument that is taking shape and has been taking shape for months. >> david gregory, jeffrey toobin, thank you very much,
4:14 am
gentlemen. rudy guiliani will join chris cuomo tonight on world premier of "cuomo primetime" at 9:00 p.m. eastern. >> the name rings a bell. >> we're going after him hard. president trump rips the fbi and justice department for not warning him that his campaign chair paul man for the was being investigated. the president has a selective memory on this. he'll join us next. ways to lthe northern belly fat. percussion massage. not cool. freezing away fat cells with coolsculpting? now th's cool. olsculptins
4:15 am
and removes fat cells. with little or no downtime. and no surgery. results and patient experience may vary. some rare side effects include temporary numbness, discomfort, and swelling. ask your doctor if coolsculpting is right for you. and visit coolsculpting.com today for your chance to win a free treatment. ...to give you the protein you need with less of the sugar you don't. i'll take that. [cheers] 30 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar. new ensure max protein. in two great flavors. new ensure max protein. looking for a hotel that fits... whoooo. ...your budget? tripadvisor now searches over... ...200 sites to find you the... ...hotel you want at the lowest price. grazi, gino! find a price that fits. tripadvisor. until her laptop crashed this her salon wasmorning.for weeks, having it problems? ask a business advisor how to get on demand tech support for as little as $15 a month. get your coupon for 20% off supplies, technology and furniture at office depot office max.
4:16 am
that i served. of the fact i was a c130 mechanic in the corps, so i'm not happy unless my hands are dirty. between running a business and four kids, we're busy. auto insurance, homeowner's insurance, life insurance policies. knowing that usaa will always have my back... that's just one less thing you have to worry about. i couldn't imagine going anywhere else. they're like a friend of the family. we are the cochran family, and we'll be usaa members for life. save by bundling usaa home and auto insurance. get a quote today.
4:17 am
4:18 am
i'm a small business, but i have... big dreams... and big plans. so how do i make the efforts of 8 employees... feel like 50? how can i share new plans virtually? how can i download an e-file? virtual tours? zip-file? really big files? in seconds, not minutes... just like that. like everything... the answer is simple. i'll do what i've always done... dream more, dream faster, and above all... now, i'll dream gig. now more businesses, in more places, can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network. the president distancing himself from manafort saying he only worked on the campaign for a short time.
4:19 am
former trump campaign aide nunberg said he has a selective memory. paul manafort not an insignificant amount of time? >> not at all. paul took that job for free. i don't know how this worked out for him ultimately. so he takes the job. the president is losing the delegate fight. in fact, he had recently won louisiana. he got less delegates because the campaign was extremely unorganized, which is the reason they brought in paulinitially. paul, through -- he has this experience going back to '76 when ford barely beat regan. paul helped organize the states, especially new york, california, pennsylvania. that's ultimately what delivered trump the nomination, debate that he won them over ted cruz. you interviewed me and we have discussed before. one, this is typical donald that
4:20 am
he always wants to distance himself. he will throw anybody out. he never knew them. when he fires me i'm a part-time low level sultan. i worked for him for years. paul is in the lion's den. paul is being prosecuted, i believe, for something that has nothing to do with mueller's mandate. in fact, he is litigating that now. we are going to find a decision in the court. this is going to be a big deal. number two, fbi -- our whole argument, and i'm a supporter of president trump. forget my personal -- >> i understand. >> the fbi should not be enter "veep"ing, should not be monitoring or looking into the trump campaign. >> we will come back to that in a moment. when the president says he only played a small role for a short time or says it's wrong. >> it's wrong. >> is it dishoppest? >> i'm not going to go into that? >> it is.
4:21 am
>> it is inaccurate. >> it is a lie. >> you say it is a lie. i will say inaccurate. >> you were there four and a half months. >> four and a half years. >> it's a lie. >> okay, fine. it's a lie. >> all right. >> good. so we will move on from that. you are saying the investigation itself is unfair. make your case on that. >> well, first of all, it's a laundry list. this memo reported by maggie haberman, when i looked at that memo, i saw the way you talked about it. the president is talking about powers never seen before. look, a president has never been investigated for obstruction of justice. >> richard nixon. bill clinton. they were both impeached for obstruction of justice. >> for duly firing somebody who worked for him as a subordinate. and here's the other issue. robert mueller recommended james comey to be successor to barack
4:22 am
obama. that's a fact. robert mueller should not have been picked by rosenstein. he could have picked anybody. we have 40 million people in this country. i don't know why he picked bob mueller. when you look at those questions, the questions that special counsel wants to ask the president, they directly and ultimately are dealing with comey. and comey's memos. >> mueller was fbi director under george w. bush. >> true. okay, fine. >> he apparently went in to talk to presirumpdent tbout perhaps -- >> he gets a point. that's very weird. i don't know why rosenstein would have done that. >> the guy is a war hero by all accounts. >> if we want to show no conflict of interest, why pick him? look, when i was on the grand ju jury, you might have heard i gave grand jury testimony.
4:23 am
i was the in there five and a half hours. the first 30 minutes the u.s. attorney is chewing me out for what i did the earlier week. i don't blame him. fine. an hour and 15 minutes goes into roger stone, which is why they brought me in. we have discussed this. i don't believe he did. you look into it. so let's say at the best it's two hours. so is i'm in there three hours that has nothing to do with russian collusion. too broad. >> he said any matters that may arise during the investigation. he is act anything any matters that may arise if he finds law breaking there. >> i think donald trump was a private citizen. he wasn't governor of arkansas. he wasn't trying to make money off cattle futures. any conduct that he had within his business or his private life is irrelevant to this.
4:24 am
>> he was a private citizen. but if he obstructed justice while he was a private citizen about the trump tower meeting -- >> 100%. anything dealing with the campaign, and i have said this before. anything by the time he went down that escalator or during the exploratory phase, fair game. they weren't asking me about stuff like that. >> do you get immunity? >> i'm not a subject or target. i don't know if i get immunity. if i lie, i get prosecuted. so i never really have immunity. they tell you you're not a subject or target. >> but they didn't use the word "immunity with you? >> i don't know. i would have to ask my lawyer. >> do you think pardoning dinesh d'souza is sending a message?
4:25 am
>> i would hope so. >> what message? >> we are not going to let robert mueller -- i understand robert mueller is overexceeding his powers. he is feeling all of us, trump associates, when i look at my friends, the eventual indictment of stone and cohen, when i look at that, when i even look at the russian indictment. it's overly broad to me. i think he is treating us like mafia associates. and i think we're being persecuted and prosecuted because we have an association with donald trump. >> do you think he will pardon stone? >> i have no idea. >> what do you think? >> i would hope so. it goes back to the president's loyalty. he doesn't have a lot of it, i can tell you. >> and the message he's send to go robert stone, paul manafort and others is that i will pardon you? >> well, in my opinion, it looks like that. i have no idea. i can't speak on behalf of him, as you know. >> you worked for jay sekulow?
4:26 am
>> yes. >> he wrote a letter to special counsel in january where he admits that the president dictated -- >> i would assume the president didn't tell him the full facts at the time he went up? >> so he lied to jay sekulow? >> i don't know. >> he said he did not write the letter. was not involved. >> here's a bigger problem with that whole episode. why didn't they just say exactly what happened. why did the president say to his son don, here's what happened. it's not a problem. in my opinion, it's not a problem. i would have -- >> what does it tell you when someone doesn't tell the truth? >> it would tell me that the president thought that meeting was problematic. everything we have learned subsequently, i don't think it was problematic. just because of the optics. >> he thought he needed to hide something? >> when you look at that e-mail chain, the e-mail chain is problematic as well. >> is that obstruction of
4:27 am
justice? >> snow, no. it's not obstruction of justice. there is a difference between what he tells the "new york times" and what he would say or his lawyers have already said in a memo. in the memo itself. there's a difference. >> you have said the president lied about you, about paul manafort. he said things that probably weren't true to jay sekulow. and you see a pattern here of the president lying, at least in these three cases you noted, would that not raise alarms for you? >> whether it does or it doesn't, the president did not obstruct justice by firing james comey. shaoe not have leaked the memos. he may have violated the law. my feelings personally, and i have been around him a lot, i support what the president's policies are, i would have a problem in general -- you wouldn't have me on the show if
4:28 am
they were investigating obama. what i mean is i wouldn't be advocating publicly for barack obama or president hillary clinton. this is ridiculous. >> sam nunberg, great to have you on. >> thank you. congratulations. key u.s. allies angry over new tariffs and they are ready to retaliate. will they be good or bad for american carmakers? michigan lawmaker debbie dingell joins us next with the answer.
4:29 am
the first survivor of alzheimer's disease
4:30 am
is out there. and the alzheimer's association is going to make it happen. but we won't get there without you. visit alz.org to join the fight.
4:31 am
bipolar i disorder can make you feel unstoppable. but mania, such as unusual changes in your mood, activity or energy levels, can leave you on shaky ground. help take control by asking about your treatment options. vraylar is approved for the acute treatment of manic or mixed episodes of bipolar i disorder in adults. clinical studies showed that vraylar reduced overall manic symptoms. vraylar should not be used in elderly patients with dementia due to increased risk of death or stroke. call your doctor about fever, stiff muscles, or confusion, which may mean a life-threatening reaction, or uncontrollable muscle movements, which may be permanent. side effects may not appear for several weeks. high cholesterol and weight gain; high blood sugar, which can lead to coma or death; decreased white blood cells, which can be fatal; dizziness upon standing; falls; seizures; impaired judgment; heat sensitivity; and trouble swallowing may occur. you're more than just your bipolar i. ask your doctor about vraylar.
4:32 am
no one thought much of itm at all.l people said it just made a mess until exxonmobil scientists put it to the test. they thought someday it could become fuel and power our cars wouldn't that be cool? and that's why exxonmobil scientists think it's not small at all. energy lives here. the idea that we are somehow a national security threat to the united states is quite frankly insulting and unacceptable. >> canadian prime minister
4:33 am
justin trudeau expressing frustration. the white house plans to impose new tariffs. new tariffs went into effect on friday as well. so what will they mean for american jobs? joining us is debbie dingell of michigan. good to see you. >> great to be talking with you. >> you're coming to us from the heart of steel country. so are these good or bad for the people in your district? >> you know, it's complicated. and it's not as simple as anybody wants it to be. i told you and many people for two years i thought president trump could become president because of trade. i have a steel plant that has been sitting empty on the shores of my district for 25 years. i have shut erred auto plants that have cost us jobs.
4:34 am
we lost 5 million manufacturing jobs between 2000 and 2016 in this country. the problem right now is we have a chaotic -- we need to do something. i said we have got to level the playing field for all countries. we have to do something about currency. >> doesn't this do it? >> no. not necessarily. nobody knows for sure. people were asking me friday what i thought. and i said i don't know what's going to happen. i don't know that i will see it unless it goes into effect at midnight. i've often -- i'm worried about nafta negotiations. nafta has cost us a million jobs. but canada is a different country than mexico. i created a heart attack when i said should we go back to bilateral negotiations in we
4:35 am
keep seeing jobs shift to mexico. canada has been a good trading partner and important ally. it is helping to subseu died what is being shifted in here. we've got to do something. >> let's talk about that. it seems the president is trying to do something. let's talk about this. why isn't he being tougher on china, or is he, in your mind? >> well, i'm trying to get an exact copy of what he's doing. i think we need to target china more and make sure that we are not hurting ourselves. i've been trying to -- i spent the whole weekend studying this. you have an l.a. times article that says consumers won't pay more. other articles. i don't want consumers see increased costs. but i do want to keep jobs in this country.
4:36 am
we need a level playing field. how do you not hurt the auto companies but make it fair in other countries. look at the japan car market. >> yeah, but what's the answer to that? maybe tariffs on mexico, china, and eu are doing that. do you think it could help the people in your district? >> i think mexico could. by the way, why aren't we doing something about currency manipulation, which is the number one issue right now. why aren't we targeting subsidization of steel being brought into this country. it's not easy. this is a complicated subject. but we have paid a price for bad trade deals and we need to do something about them. >> what about what prime minister justin trudeau said, the idea that steel coming in from canada is a national security risk is insulting. >> well, you know, we have a
4:37 am
trade surplus on canada with steel. i said i would work with the president, and i really did mean that. i wish he would be more methodical. i wish we weren't doing this by twitter. i wish i understood what he is doing. just to give you another factoid, it's not simple. that's what everybody needs to understand. >> i appreciate that. for sure. have you reached out to the white house? has the president reached out to you? you are instrumental in this. this is your district. can you work with the president on this? >> i said from day one we needed to do something. if it would help the men and women of my district, i would do something. people say how is this a national security issue? do you know we have military ships and planes we can't replace the parts by with american made parts? if we get into a war, we can't make some of those parts. we need to fedepend on china or
4:38 am
japan. that is a national security issue. and i am going to support that. sound bites don't work on some of these complicated issues. i'm not running away from them. i will work with the white house because trade is a serious issue. we need a level playing field. >> i understand. and you have said that before on our air. is this a step in the right direction or could there be some unintended consequence? >> i think there could be unintended consequences. i don't think the president wants to cost jobs in my district either. we have to work carefully to make sure we are addressing the right problem and don't have unintended consequences. >> congresswoman debbie dingell, please keep us posted. >> oh, i will. >> we will have you back to talk about all of this. coal miners deal with black lung disease are worried they could lose critical health benefits.
4:39 am
alright, i brought in new max protein ...to give you the protein you need with less of the sugar you don't. i'll take that. [cheers] 30 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar. new ensure max protein. in two great flavors. new ensure max protein.
4:40 am
a trip back to the dthe doctor's office, mean just for a shot. but why go back there, when you can stay home, with neulasta onpr strong chemo can put you at risk of serious infection, which could lead to hospitalizations. in a key study, neulasta reduced the risk of infection from 17% to 1%, a 94% decrease. applied the day of chemo, neulasta onpro is designed to deliver neulasta the next day, so you can stay home. neulasta is for certain cancer patients receiving strong chemotherapy. do not take neulasta if you're allergic to neulasta or neupogen (filgrastim). ruptured spleen, sometimes fatal as well as serious lung problems, allergic reactions, kidney injuries, and capillary leak syndrome have occurred. report abdominal or shoulder tip pain, trouble breathing or allergic reactions to your doctor right away. in patients with sickle cell disorders, serious, sometimes fatal crises can occur. the most common side effect is bone and muscle ache. so why go back there? if you'd rather be home, ask your doctor about neulasta onpro.
4:41 am
until her laptop crashed this her salon wasmorning.for weeks, having it problems? ask a business advisor how to get on demand tech support for as little as $15 a month. get your coupon for 20% off supplies, technology and furniture at office depot office max.
4:42 am
a massive tax cut set to go into effect at the end of the year, and it could cause a critical trust fund that helps coal miners with black lung to lose some of the critical care they need.
4:43 am
elizabeth cohen broke the story and she joins us live with more. this sounds like another unintended consequence. what did you learn? >> absolutely it is an unintended consequence. the miners are so sick they had to quit their job. they have black lung disease. now they are wait to go see what happened with this fund, will it fall further into debt? kenny fleming loved mining here in the hills of kentucky. >> i worked here for 16 years. >> so it's no surprise he voted for donald trump. >> we are going to put our coal miners back to work. they have not been treated well, but they are going to be treated well now. >> he is afraid they will not live up to his campaign promises. >> this is what we refer to as black lung disease. >> that's right. we are diagnosing more and more cases. >> doctors recently identified the largest cluster, 416
4:44 am
advanced cases. miner's lungs turn black and stiff. it is in curable and deadly. at least fleming doesn't have to worry about medical bills. his health care has been paid for by a federal tax on coal mining companies. in the future, he may not be covered. the tax gets cut in half at the end of this year. and president trump's proposed budget does nothing to stop that from happening. according to a new government report obtained by cnn, if that goes through, the fund for the miners could go $15 million into debt. >> the problem with letting the debt explode is that once it becomes clearly unsustainable, there will be pressure to cut benefits. >> so if these benefits go away, how do you think this community is going to feel? >> betrayed. >> the trump administration says that the tax on coal companies isn't enough, that government
4:45 am
can just borrow money from the taxpayers. a labor department spokesman said those entitled to black lung benefits will continue to is receive those benefits. but scott says borrowing money from taxpayers isn't the solution. he is fighting to keep coal companies paying for the tax. >> the last thing we ought to consider is letting it expire and the problem getting worse. >> kenny fleming wants to make sure coal miners aren't abandoned. >> if you could talk to president trump right now, what would you say to him? >> please help us. supposedly he was for the forgotten man and woman. and if that isn't this, that's a bunch of people forgotten. >> we will be watching the next seven months. will that tax on coal mining companies get cut? and if it does, will coal miners get the health care they need? john? >> elizabeth cohen, thanks so much. just want him to help us.
4:46 am
lindsay czarniak has more in the "bleacher report". you knew it was going to be tough to top the drama of game one. tempers flaring. and the gaffe by j.r. smith where he chose not to shoot the ball but instead let time wind down accidently forcing overtime. none of that drama, but it did have a spark. that was because of steph curry. he made it so exciting in the fourth quarter it was hard to turn away. leading all scorers with 33 points. golden state winning big, 122-103. that does not bode well for the cavaliers. teams with a 2-0 lead in the finals win 88% of the time. however, incident was the 2016 cavaliers who were the last team to overcome the deficit in the finals. as for what steph curry did, he said it just happened. >> i never woke up and was like,
4:47 am
all right, let's get the record. it was more playing the game the right way, having good intentions on the court, and good things happen. >> lebron james is sort of becoming the serena williams of the nba. very unique fashion choices. he rocked the shorts with his suit. this time he has the red sox, white shoes. you guys like it? yeah. >> i think he would look good in anything really. >> i would agree. >> they said imitation is the best form of flattery. draymond green said he wanted to try it. he said he started this trend at some point. >> that's good too, but he doesn't have the socks. >> i agree with you, alisyn. >> it's hard to pull off, i'll be honest with you. it is hard to pull off. >> you have tried that? >> no. he has tried kulots.
4:48 am
>> i have small legs. >> i like the accessory of a toddler. i think that's also a great look. >> it adds to it. exactly. >> thanks so much. >> thank you. all right. so there was a little laughter, if you can believe it, amid all of the tears and heartache as marjory stoneman douglas high school students, well, they graduated, the seniors graduated. they had to honor the four students among those who were killed in the shooting. so the class president is going to join us with how she gave this emotional speech, next. ♪ heartburn and gas? ♪ now fight both fast new tums chewy bites with gas relief all in one relief of heartburn and gas ♪
4:49 am
♪ tum tum tum tums new tums chewy bites with gas relief hesumatra reserve told in the time it takes to brew your cup. let's go to sumatra. where's sumatra? good question. this is win. and that's win's goat, adi. the coffee here is amazing. because the volcanic soil is amazing. making the coffee erupt with flavor. so we give farmers like win more plants. to grow more delicious coffee. that erupts with even more flavor. which helps provide for win's family. and adi the goat's family too. because his kids eat a lot. all, for a smoother tasting cup of coffee. green mountain coffee roasters. packed with goodness. the first survivor of ais out there.sease and the alzheimer's association is going to make it happen. but we won't get there without you.
4:50 am
visit alz.org to join the fight.
4:51 am
i'm a small business, but i have... big dreams... and big plans. so how do i make the efforts of 8 employees... feel like 50? how can i share new plans virtually? how can i download an e-file? virtual tours?
4:52 am
zip-file? really big files? in seconds, not minutes... just like that. like everything... the answer is simple. i'll do what i've always done... dream more, dream faster, and above all... now, i'll dream gig. now more businesses, in more places, can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network. my ci can worry about it,ine. or do something about it. garlique® helps maintain healthy cholesterol naturally. and it's odor free. and pharmacist recommended. garlique.® the seniors from marjory stoneman douglas high school celebrated their graduation this weekend without four of their classmates who were among the 17 killed in the massacre on valentine's day. many students decorated their
4:53 am
caps to honor their murdered friends and they continue to push to stop gun violence. in an emotional moment, joaquin oliver's mother held up his diploma wearing a shirt that said, this should be my son. joining us now is the senior class president of marjory stoneman douglas high school, julia cordover. julia, thank you so much for being here with us. very few of us can imagine what it would be like to try to celebrate and mourn and grieve all at the same time. what was it like for you yesterday when you had to watch the friends and family members of your friends receive those diplomas instead of those seniors? >> it was quite emotional to see that, just fellow -- people in my community, those are like my friends. i grew up with these people, and to see their family receive that diploma instead of them was heartbreaking to all of us.
4:54 am
students couldn't hold in their tears. the amount of emotion filling the room was tremendous. >> you know, so many graduation speeches from the senior class president which you are are about seizing the day and optimism and this being the first day of the rest of your life, and i'm wondering what you said to your classmates in your speech. >> so i started off saying that sometimes you take on a job or a role where unexpected or rough situations occur, and from there i left students with the impression that life is full of holding on and letting go and sometimes adversity does face, and when these situations or circumstances come thrown at us, we have to stay strong and just keep moving forward and creating an impact. it was the perfect timing to say
4:55 am
we have already been the present generation. we are encouraging students to vote all across our schools, all across the nation, so i left the impression that let's be the generation that cares, that votes, that sees a problem and fixes it. >> and that was your message. you had a call to action for your fellow classmates. what is next for you, julia? >> our next step is to encourage students to vote, and for me, going to college and bringing that experience and my story with me to encourage other students to do the same and to register to vote and to increase that voter turnout on all college campuses. >> as you know all too well, there was a school safety officer that day of the massacre. his name was scott peterson, as you know. he didn't fight back, he didn't fight the gunman. he didn't take down the gunman. there are reports that he was outside, that he didn't know where the shooting was coming
4:56 am
from. there are reports that he took cover himself. he's just given an interview to "the washington post" in which he says this, it's haunting. i've cut that day up a thousand ways with a million different what if scenarios but the bottom line is i was there to protect and i lost 17. what's your response to his remarks? >> there's no words. it's anger and sorrow. it's too late for words to come out of his mouth. i believe now we need to focus on the present and to do stuff that will prevent something like this tragedy, something that has impacted our community so greatly and to not look back on that but to make sure that nothing like this will ever happen again. >> on a lighter note, there was a surprise guest at your graduation. it was jimmy fallon, and there were no media cameras allowed inside but there were lots of cell phone cameras and they did capture this funny bit of advice that he gave you all so let's listen to that.
4:57 am
>> today you'r graduating from high school. you should feel incredibly proud of yourself, but it doesn't mean you should rest on your laurels, or your yannys. >> he was making a joke about do you hear laurel or do you hear yanny. what was it hilike for him to sw up? >> it was a bit of comic relief after such a sorrowful remembrance of our fallen eagles, so it was kind of a way to bring in the same old community that we are. it was super exciting for all the students to see that smile across their face when they saw that jimmy fallon arrived at our graduation. his speech was very motivating. he mentioned how we are the generation of the present, how we already are changing the world, and how in previous graduation commencement speeches he usually mentions how you guys will change the world, you will
4:58 am
do this, you will do that but he was saying how we already are and to keep doing what we're doing. >> and look, you all became the face of fighting gun violence, and so how do you assess if you've made progress or what still has to be done? >> so a lot of the things you aren't necessarily showing on media but we know that passing the marjory stoneman douglas accountaact prevented you can see through n the media. you can see -- we've already been able to speak to a lot of representatives, a lot of legislators and we already know that we're making change. and we know that change won't necessarily happen overnight but within time we hope to create even more of a change in this country. >> we know that florida, the state legislature, did take action when nationally not as many things have happened.
4:59 am
florida did there after the massacre take action. julia, best of luck to you and your classmates. obviously we will speak to you again soon. >> thank you. we're following a lot of news this morning so let's get right to it. pardoning himself would be unthinkable. it would lead to an immediate impeachment. >> if it were a democratic president, there would be an impeachment hearing already. >> he says he can fire anyone, he can shoot -- >> sounds like we have a king. >> sounds like a dictator. >> they say the president had nothing to do with that statement and it turns out that that's completely untrue. >> if you are smuggling a child, then we will prosecute you. >> denied and taken to an immigration facility in texas. >> instead of protecting children we're going to proceed to inflict harm on them as a strategy of deterring people
5:00 am
from seeking to come to the u.s. we will be interviewing senator amerimirkly about that thing where he was denied access. >> a sitting u.s. senator. >> that's right. good morning, everyone. it is monday, june 4th, 8:00 in the east. today marks president trump's 500th day in office. his attorney, rouudy giuliani ss the president cannot obstruct justice. he also claims the president had the authority to pardon himself and suggested in this interview that if mr. trump were to shoot james comey he could not be prosecuted. so is the president of the united states above the law. >> the 20-page letter sent to robert mueller in january admits for the first time that the president dictated that misleading statement about his son's controversial meeting with

8 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on