Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  June 4, 2018 11:00pm-12:00am PDT

11:00 pm
here's the biggest number for me tonight, it is one. i'll do it twice because it's so nice. this is our first official cuomo primetime, thank you for being apart of it. it means everything to me to get this opportunity. i hope tomorrow you come with me to get after it again. we have another big guest for you tomorrow night. we'll have former white house communication director, anthony scaramucci. that will be 9:00 p.m. eastern right here on cuomo primetime. you know what comes next. lois going to be here. we're very happy to be with him. i said to him earlier, usually i have to watch him in the morning, i was on noon day and i had to go to sleep at night. now i get to watch it live like the rest of you, he's got good news tonight. he's already smiling because we have big news with paul manafort and rudy giuliani to digest. take it from here my handsome friend.
11:01 pm
>> but i also have to say, i'm smiling because remember the last time i saw your wife and she said why aren't you nice to chris when he hands it over to you? i said, i can't hear him. i'll be extra nice to you next time i see your wife she wouldn't give my anything abou >> smart move. >> it was friend. welcome to primetime. >> thank you. >> thank you. this is "cnn tonight," i'm don lemon. thanks for joining us. robert mueller accused paul manafort of one tampering and wants to revoke or revive his house arrest and send him to jail. it comes as men and women are tieing themselves up in knots trying to distract from what's really going on here, the backtracking a flip-flopping, it can be tempting to tune all of this out. the rule's broken. the norm is stomped on.
11:02 pm
you may find yourself saying, that's just trump, throwing your hands up. make no mistake all of this is the strategy here, flood the zone with crazy. enough crazy that you just might miss a really crucial moment, like this from thent today tweeting, as has been stated by numerous legal scholars i have the absolute right to pardon myself but why have i done that when i've done nothing wron the witch hunt led by deats and others continues to the mid terms. why this sudden obsession with pardons? and him pardoning himself? that is by definition putting himself abovthe law.that is abs president is saying in that tweet, make to mistake about it. no matter how much sarah sanders tries to dance around it. >> does the president believe he is above the law? >> certainly, no one is above the law. >> the president wants you to be pardoning himself would be politics as usual.
11:03 pm
that's why he keeps repeating the false claim that the investigation is being run by democrats. even though mueller is a registered republican. and wapointed special counsel by rod rosenstein, president trump's own hand picked department attorney general. so, this is not politics as usual. this is a very crucial critical moment. no president has ever paed himself in the history of the united states. if president trump were to try it the case would almost certainly go straight to the suurt. here mumble lies from the president's own legal team about his role in dictating the response to his oldest son, trump tower meeting with russia. the president said in a letter in january to robert mueller obtained by "the new york times,th trump, quote, dictated a short but
11:04 pm
accurate response to "the new york times" on behalf of his son, jr. attorney jay sekulo confirmed that in a statement to cnn. oes not reflect what sarah tter sanders said. >> that was written by donald trump jr. and i'm sure in consultation with his lawyer. that wasn't written by the president. nything.nt dgn off the statement released by saturday was released by donald trump jr. i'm sure in consultation with his lawyers. the president was not involved. the president was not involved in the drafting or issuing the statement, it came from donald trump jr., they made a decision on how to release that out. the president was not involved in that decision. >> he certainly didn't dictate but he weighed in and offered suggestion like any father would do. >> even today, sarah sanders
11:05 pm
refuse to explain the lies. >> you said, certainly didn't dictate a statement, i wonder if you can tell us the basis of your comment when you made that in august and do you think that still stands? do you retract that? >> one again this is a referenc outside counsel. i understand but it's also pertaining to a letter from the president's outside counsel and therefore i can't answer and i would direct you -- >> what was your basis of saying it? >> i'm not going to get into a back and fornd i'd encounteryou counsel. >> for a year the trump team lied about that statement. now, they're trying to bury that fact. rudy giuliani insisting to chris you moe tonight that it wasn't a lie, it was a routine mistake. >> it was a mistake, i swear to god it was a mistake. >> but what we have said again and again facts matter. the truth matters.
11:06 pm
the american people deserve the truth. i want to geght now to our breaking news with the mueller investigation tonight. sarah murry joins me. sarah, thank you for joining us. paul manafort appears to be in big trouble. what is team mueller alleging here? >> that's absolutely right.paul campaign chairman. he has faced a number of charges related to financial crimes and failing to disclose his lobbying work for foreign government. he insisted he's not guilty. the latest news where prosecutors alleged that paul manafort has been tampering with witnesses. back in february, he has been facing charges. his business partner, rick gates decided he's going to plead guilty. he's going to cooperate with the special counsel team and cooperate against manafort. after that, manafort decide he's going to reach out to a couple
11:07 pm
of witnesses in this case, prosecutors alleged, and try to get them on to the same page about their story. essentially trying to get them to say the only lobbying work they did was in europe not in the united states. the prosecutors say that was false, everyone knew that was false and manafort should not have been trying to tamper with witnesses. , that could spell bigrouble fonafort. the prosecutors are asking that the court hear on this as soon as possible and paul manafort l house arrest but instead sent to jail. we'll see how that plays out. representatives for manafort did not have a comment for cnn. >> thank you, i appreciate that. i want to bring in chris -- senior politics editor at large. brian, he's the editor of sental newspaper. laura coats here as well.
11:08 pm
senior prosecutors. good evening to you all. laura, mueller as not messing around. i want your takethis rtand the seriousness of this allegation that manafort is witness tampering. >> that's a very very serious offense. we've been talking for better part of a year-and-a-half about the consequences of obstructing justice, by trying to get somebody to interfere with an ongoing investigation. if you tamper with a witness you are trying to get somebody to give false testimony and mislead investigators, mislead prosecutors and mislead the court, all of which are offenses against the american people and american court system. it's egregious whether you already have somebody who by the grace of the court is allowed not to remain in jail pending the trial in july and one coming in september, and given the opportunity to be home on house attention and many opportunities that people are not given when they are considered to be alleged filings in our court of law. he was granted that ability to
11:09 pm
have lenience and trying to commit crimes while he's out. it seems to boggle the mind that somebody facing serious charges will conduct themselves this way. this is somebody given the timing, very very scared and nervous that his right-hand man is willing to cooperate. and having to get his story straight, even if it meant violating the law potentially. >> and, chris, listen, no matter what the folks around him, his representatives say, all we have to do is look at the president's tweets. he said yesterday as only one of two people left to become president why would the fbi and department of the justice told me they were secretly investigating manafort on charges ten years old. should have told me. manafort came into the campaign very late and was with us for a short period of time. he represented many others over
11:10 pm
the years but we should have been told that comey and the boys were doing a number on him and he wouldn't have been hired. what does this say to you, that president trump had manafort on his mind this weekend? we don't hear the president speak about manafort all too often? and he came in very late, short period of time, come on. >> okay. let's deal with -- you mentioned i don't want to take -- you mention facts matter. let's just deal with the facts here because there's a lot of misrepresentation in that, don. paul manafort was the campaign chairman but effectively the campaign manager from about april 2016 until august 2016. he was brought in at a ver critical moment in the campaign, it was an expected delegate fight between donald trump and ted cruz, who amazingly had emerged and establish alternative to donald trump. he ran the entire campaign during that critical period of time and was given a lot of
11:11 pm
credit, as i recall, personally hearing from people, giving manafort a ton of credit because he put down that instruction.th largely because ivanka trump and jared kushner did not like him, get along with him, neither did donald trump jr. the other piece here is that, i don't understand why donald trump believes he should be brought in to ongoing fbi investigations. he's aren't charges that are ten years old, they deal with serious financial allegations of wrongdoing with ukraine that was tied to rick gates and paul manafort. if anything, donald trump should have done his own vetting -- >> you just took the word out of my mouth. >> he hired him. paul manafort has been dealing
11:12 pm
with the ukraine prior to donald trump, he's right about that. why did donald trump not say, wait a minute, let's do even a tiny bit of google searching and find that out. >> actually, bec no one -- they were in a position where no one wanted to work with him so they took who could -- here's the result of what you have because of that. this is one hot mess of an administration. tonight, you have rudy giuliani standing like john belushi in a blues' brothers say, my god it wasn'ty i warst tried to defend what they said tonight about the letter that was dictated to his son, break that down, don. the information came from somewhere. they were all saying the same information. so, either they independently lied or they went to the president, the president told them a story and they spread that story and that was a falsehood. it isn't that difficult.
11:13 pm
>> giuliani was with chris moments ago. watch this. >> somebody's lying about this rudy, and i don't understand why. >> i don't think anybody's lying. i think made at the very early stages of investigation. i don't mean investition, very early stages of a representation by a lawyer which happens all the time. i don't think it's a significant fact. the most important thing is there's no testimony under oath to that effect. when a written statement was put in it was completely accurate. >> a is a mistake usually. they repeated and repeated, didn't it go on for almost a year? so. >> and the defense of that is it was a mistake and they didn't give complete information. it wasn't that they completely -old this bill of goods since the first time sarah walked out and sold it to us and they defended it -- >> let's think about the logic here, they're saying the president didn't do it.
11:14 pm
>> the president would know if he did. >> exactly. certainly the people who were aboard air force one when he reportedly did it, the president's son, don junior would know. i don't understand this about, oh this is the information we had at the time, it was a mistake. it is a flat out lie. >> it's a flat out lie, they were trying to defend themselves. so, you know what, rudy is kind of telling the truth here, they soldiered some blarney, now that they're forced to tell the truth. the president my believe he's not above law, the way he's spinning it is, i'm within the law to say he's above the law. >> hold that thought i got to get to the break. we're going to come back. stick around. when we come back, bill clinton speaking out tonight addressing his own tone deaf
11:15 pm
comments earlier about the monica lewinski scandal. plus the first photos of melania trump in 24 days. we have a sighting. more on that coming up.
11:16 pm
11:17 pm
president bill clinton speaking out about some comments earlier about the monica
11:18 pm
lewinski scandal and whether he owes her an apology. back with me, chris, brian and laura. the former president addressed the controversy over his defensive answer on nbc news this morning, where he defended how he handled the scandal. here he's tonight. watch this. >> the truth is the -- i got hot under the collar, because of the the way the questions were asked. the suggestion was that i never apologized for what caused all the trouble for me 20 years ago. so, first one is, i did. i meant it then and i meant it now, i apologize for my family, for monica lewinski and her family, to the american people.
11:19 pm
the second is i respect the me too movement. >> laura, is that a way to clean up his statement? >> i think that it did something, maybe not completely because what he fails to recognize is that while he said that 20 years ago got him in a great deal of trouble, the truth of the matter is he has thrived lewinski has had the life of a hermet and shamed and forced to wear a red scarlet letter. i think it needs to be addressed not only from him but how society has treated her and gone after her and her behavior and accountability. and the way they questioned her in the way they have not done so with bill clinton, the former president of the united states. there is a reckoning to come. i would have been more satisfied had he addressed what i thought was the most obvious reason why, a married man would not have dressed a woman who was his mistress 20 years ago with a phone call or perhaps with some conciliatory flowers. that was obvious to me, perhaps
11:20 pm
not to him. 20 years later we're still wondering why he won't address the fact that there was some about the victimization of her. she also has important accountability to reckon with, i suspect she's done so in the life she's led now. >> i told chris exactly what you said. now s out and about now. she pretty much goes out. people sti walks down the street, she's still very famous and she has security and all of those thing. i remembk when this, not long after it happened, i'd see her here and her friends would be very protective of her. she's try to hide with her hair or hat covering her face. it must een awful for her and still till this day. how could bill clinton -- >> i think he still sounded a little tone-deaf this evening. >> how could he have not been rey for that question? brian, go on.
11:21 pm
>> there's always a saying in washington, the om only thing worse than a republican is a democrat. certainly his behavior and trumps, you kind of hear a little of each other in there, it's gotten progressively worse over the years. you have to wonder why they're tone-deaf to this. they're tone-deaf to any criticism. like chris brought up earlier, it's not the crime, it's the cover up. that was the case with bill clinton too. he got out there and said, i did no have sexual relationship with that woman, monica lewinski and obviously he did. it's always the cover up and lie that gets you in trouble. it seems like politics in d.c. just love to do it. the real problem is, with all the lying goes on, i heard something tonight that rings so true, it's that when you lie so often, it's not that people begin to believe the lies, it's that they don't know what the truth is and that makes them easier to lead. >> chris, let me ask you this,
11:22 pm
you said the only thing worse as a republican is a democrat. this is what some progressives are saying, they're not saying it publicly. why are you not -- you know, why are you beating up bill clinton, this was 20 years ago, we have someone in the white house now accused of similar things, what do you say to that? >> i say that donald trump's -- the allegations against donald trump as it relates to his behavior with women, do not allow every democrat ever to get a free pass. if it is something that we don't condone for republicans it should be something we don't condone fodemocrats. i hear this all the time, well, donald trump lies always. therefore we can say anything about him and it's justified. i always ask people, is that what you'll tell your kids. whatever you're doing you can do it worse because they did it.
11:23 pm
>> so, there's no truth in any of that? >> i -- no -- look, donald trump -- excuse me bill clinton. bill clinton is doing a book tour with s paterson on a book that they wrote. he agrees to sit down for an interview, rightly the reporter does not agree what questions are on limits and what questions are off limits. bill clinton needs to have a good answer for that. >> absolutely. >> that is not craig melvin, the nbc reporter who ask the questions, t not his fault. he gets to ask the questions, bill clinton answers the question. we should focus more on what i believe to be the grace and dignity that monica lewinski in the last decade or so has handled herself. she has reemerged her voice against bullying. >> with grace. i got to go -- peace abo this from last month. >> monica lewinski emerging from
11:24 pm
the house of gaslight in the "me too." i want to talk to you byes about the eagles, we'll discuss that lair on. thank you i appreciate it. when we come back, president trump says he has the right to pardon himself. y giuliani tng cnn, moments ago, he can't be prosecuted for anything. will congress hold the tt president accountable? i'll ask clapper, the intelligence team head, next. but what a powerful lifeson. and don't worry i have everything handled. i already spoke to our allstate agent, and i know that we have accident forgiveness. which is so smart on your guy's part. like fact that they'll just... forgive you... four weeks without the car. okay, yup. good night. with accident forgiveness your rates won't go up just because of an accident. switching to allstate is worth it. booking a flight doesn't have to be expensive. just go to priceline. it's the best place to book a flight
11:25 pm
a few days before my trip and still save up to 40%. just tap and go... for the best savings on flights, go to priceline. captured lightning in a bottle. over 260 years later as the nation's leader in energy storage we're ensuring americans have the energy they need, whenever they need it nextera energy. rewards me basicallyaptain everywhere.obvious and hotels.com so why am i stomping grapes with aerobics enthusiasts near this b&b? because hotels.com lets me do me. mmm. foot juice. hotels.com. you do you and get rewarded. whatever it takes, wherever i have to
11:26 pm
go...i'm beating this. breast cancer treatment is continuing to evolve. ctca idefinitely on the cusp of those changes. we really focus on taking the time with each individual patient so they can choose the treatment appropriate for them. i empower women with choices. it's not just picking a surgeon. it's picking the care team, and feeling secure where you are. visit cancercenter.com/breast appointments available now.
11:27 pm
i'm a small business, but i have... big dreams... and big plans. so how do i make the efforts of 8 employees.. feel like 50? how can i share new plans virtually? how can i download an e-file? virtual tours? zip-file? really big files? in seconds, not minutes... just like that. like everything... the answer is simple. i'll do what i've always done... dream more, dream faster, and above all... now, i'll dream gig. now more businesses, in more places, can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network. president trump could not have been clearer with his tweet this morning. he insists he has the absolute
11:28 pm
right to pardon himself. it bears repeating, no president in our history has ever tried to do that. so, are we at a crises here? i want to brhis man who could answer, cnn national intelligence, james clapper. are we in a crises? >> well, don, you know on coming in here tonight, i was trying to come up with some catchy phrase that would describe this president. i'm out of catchy phrases. wonders never cease, it seems like there's yet another episode in this continuing saga. >> it's -- >> to answer your question, i don't know whether there's a crises yet. i don't -- it doesn't feel like
11:29 pm
it yet. i think if special counsel mueller concludes his investigation, and, you know, cites the president in some way for some criminal act, then i think we could be confronting a crises if the president carries out what was clearly on his mind. i mean, i have to wonder whether this is just a set up for what he may considered an inevitably development at some point where he will pardon himself. then sort of prepping the battlefield, as they say in the military. >> you think this coming from his legal team anticipating a showdown with the special counsel? >> yeah, i think so. you know, this is -- the president and his team have gotten a lot more aggressive i think, and this is occasioned by i think the edition of rudy
11:30 pm
giuliani, who is i think much more a p.r. type than he is co so, yeah, i detect a definite change in tone and message since he came aboard. >> can i get your reaction on the news tonight about paul manafort being accused on special counsel of witness tampering? >> well, i think he's in deep trouble before, now it would appear he's in very deep trouble if -- if what i understand is in the rooting that was put out about this from the special counsel's office. so -- and i don't see how this can possibly be well for the president, giving manafort's at one point a pretty close
11:31 pm
relationship, and his management of the campaign. >> so, director clapper, this is some of what we heard from the white house today. here it >> does the president believe that he is above the law? >> certainly not. the president hasn't done anything wrong. >> i guess the question is, the president the framers inteention where he could pardon himself, where the president could be above the law. >> certainly the constitution lays out the law. the president hasn't anything wrong and we feel very confident in that process. >> you just said it's not that clear. does the president believe he is above the law? >> certainly no one is above the law. >> so, does president trump believe he's above the law? >> well, i think he probably does. for me, he seems to more and more be assuming the trappings of the king, of an autocrat. you know, everyone must comply
11:32 pm
with the law except for one. i frankly don't know how the media members, who frequent the briefing room in the white house, i don't know how they tolerate listening to, what i come to call the drippings of misinformation. >> i have to get your reaction, these reporters caution up with senator ted cruz asking whether the president can pardon himself. 18-second pause before answering. watch this. >> the president can pardon himself, would you agree with that? >> would you agree with that? >> that is not a constitutional issue i've studied so i with withhold judgment at this point.
11:33 pm
>> so other reporters are speaking out. senator cruz, 18 seconds, the silence is deafening, what does that say to you? >> to me, that 18 seconds is emblematic of the republican leadership who tends to remain silent about these, to me, assaults on our institutions and our values. good on senator grassley. >> thank you dr clapper. i appreciate your time as always. >> thanks, don. the super bowl champions won't be headed to the white house after all. why the president uninvited them. that's next.
11:34 pm
11:35 pm
a place with flexible fmeal plans...e. ...and 24-hour room service. a place where seniors get the care they need in the comfort of home. home instead senior care.
11:36 pm
11:37 pm
breaking news, president trump calling an audible cancelling scheduled visit of the super bowl, philadelphia eagles to the white house. quote, the philadelphia eagles aren't able to come to the white house with their full team to be celebrated tomorrow. th disagree with their
11:38 pm
president because he insist they proudly stand for their national anthem, hand on heart. i want to bring in brenden boil of pennsylvania. congressman, thank you very much. you're originally from philly? >> i'm sorry. >> are you originally from philadelphia? >> i am born and raised in philadelphia and live in philadelphia at the moment. i'm in harrisburg, pennsylvania, our state capital because i was here pushing legislationh my brother. i'm also a life long eagles' fan. >> i wanted to establish your connection to police chief and the eagles. with your interpretation of the president abruptly cancelling this visit tomorrow? >> the fact that i'm a philadelphian and eagles' fan. it's one more way the president has changed the norms. every president republican or democrat would welcome the team if they won the championship
11:39 pm
whether it's the super bowl, stanley cup. it would be a nice event. it is the president acting as head o state. and that would be the end of it. i still are the president reagan hosting the red skins and throwing a football. that's the norm. and yet, yet again donald trump has found a way to divide people and make it about himself instead of the chaam d his fans. >> this isn't the first time that players don't want to go to the white house. there are a lot of time players have gone against a number of administrations not going to the white house because they disagree with them politically. they didn't uninvite them to the white house they continued and celebrated with the people who showed up. here's what you tweeted, you even make a championship team visiting the white house about you. what is wrong with you seriously? what condition do you have? why do you say that? >> i think the president is a narcissist. i'm not a psychologist, i understand that professionals
11:40 pm
have a limitation on publicly as a layperson who has not a psychiatrist, the fact that donald trump seems to be such a deeply insecure human being, the fact that he makes something about himself is really bizarre. but this is hundreds of examples in the way donald trump has broken the norm and made something that should be a nice thing and a way to bring people together. instead just an opportunity to make it about himself. >> this comes on the heels of the nfl ruling that requiring nfl players to stand during anthem or stay in the locker room. what do you want to say to the players? >> i admire the facts that a number of the eagles, chris long has made a stand on social
11:41 pm
justice. one of the players played for free this entire year, donated their entire salary to. it's interesting about standing for the national anthem. i could be wrong on this but i don't recall any of the eagle players taking a knee this year. so, if the president's trying to maout thatdon't think the eagles are necessarily the best example. other than the fact that they've made strong stands as individuals for justice causes. >> you're absolutely right about that. i want to talk with that about the panel. jake tapper spoke with a player and nfl source who noticed not one of the players on the super bowl winning eagles took a knee all regular season. so, his statement doesn't add up. thank you, i appreciate it congressman boyle. >> okay. thank you, don. m pennsylvania, also charley scott jennings and bakari sellers. so, good evening. you heard the congressman there. i'll start with a congressman
11:42 pm
now, you're from pennsylvania, eagles' fan. what do you think? >> well, brenden boyle's a good friend. i think the president of the united states knew darn well when he invited the eagles to the white house celebration that some would not attend. dis-inviting them at this hour seems a bit contrived a political stunt. i went to an's eagles game this year, i didn't see anyone take a knee. i happen to think the players taking a knee was not the right thing to do but they certainly had the right to do it. there are better ways to protest. you can stand in the shadow of william penn at city hall. that'll be a better way to hold a rally and take about the issues you're concerned about. i never thought doing this at the game was helpful to the nfl or the brand. >> bakari, you think this is on the strategy of president.
11:43 pm
he writes in their response that they wanted to send a delegation. nfl network reports they were planning to send i think around ten people to the white house ceremony. you're saying he's doing it to divide the country? >> yeah, not only is he trying to divide the country he cancelled a party that nobody's coming to anyone. we talked about the fact that none of these players kneeled. malcolm jenkins raised a fist in protest. country long donated his entire salary to charitable causes. the president's thinking is not that different from congressman dent and that's unfortunate. i think people made this issue out to be something different than what it is. colin kaepernick, eric reed, malcolm jenkins all these players are protesting police brutality in this country. they're not protesting the flag, the military, the national anthem, they're protesting injustices that happened to
11:44 pm
african-americans. the irony in saying that someone needs to find a better way to protest is simply like saying that the four kids, february 1st, 1960, at the county shouldn't have sit in they should have found some other way to protest. or maybe dr. king and don lewis shouldn't have stood across the bridge because they're blocking traffic. the problem that we're having is that people have misconstrued what this is about. malcolm jenkins, the philadelphia eagles are leaders in that. i'm proud of them and any player that wants to take a knee that could afford to take a kouldakeb that's the only way they're going to get change in this country. >> let me ask you this scott, i'm looking at over a list of players not only from the nfl but over different sports teams who have refused to go to the white house, this isn't the first time. they didn't cancel the ceremony. is there anything presidential about dis-inviting the super bowl champions from the white house because some of the
11:45 pm
players disagree with you? >> i think this was not a handful of players that were cancelling. i think what the white house was upset about, if the news media is right, fewer than ten players were planning not to attend. that was an attempt to try to embarrass the president that they disagree with. that's their right. i don't think anybody should be compelled to go to an event that they want to go to. i don't think the president is compelled to have an event that he don't want to have if he's going to be embarrassed. what i find interesting about this ordeal is this is the first sort of trump/nfl interaction since the nfl caved to the president about the national anthem. at the time we thought this was trump getting a victory over the nfl, but clearly he's not happy with the nfl, it wasn't enough for him. he's taking it a step further. i think largely because he thinks every time this is in the news it's a winner. he thinks the short-term pain of making everyone in pennsylvania
11:46 pm
or philadelphia is worth the long-term gain of this being a political winner for him. >> the first part of your statement you said -- or your answer, you said it's an attempt to deliberately embarrass the president. because you disagree with someone lly. why is it embarrassing the president? why is it again about the president and not about them disagreeing him or their issues not being paid attention to? >> oh, look, i think they're perfectly well within their rights to not want to show up and make a statement against the president they disagree with not showing up. but, on the same token the president is well within his rights to not hold an event which he feels people are deliberately trying to embarrass him, which is clearly how he feels. fewer than ten players were not going to show up. this was a mass protest. and the president didn't want to be embarrassed in his backyard. >> they were saying a delegation
11:47 pm
of ten. >> players cancel theirs. >> they were saying a delegation of ten. they said they had a couple of meetings to discuss the invitation. not many players wanted to attend, the numbers were low. but the president taking an issue of players who take a knee during the national anthem wasn't even mentioned in the meetings. the eagles said there was no infighting on the team about attendance. we'll continue. we'll be right back. hear that sizzle? yeah. red lobster's lobster & shrimp summerfest is back! get all the lobster and shrimp you crave, together in so many new ways. there's new cedar plank seafood bake. tender maine lobster and shrimp, cedar roasted to perfection. or new caribbean lobster and shrimp. sweet pineapple salsa on grilled rock lobster, paired with jumbo coconut shrimp. and wait. there's lobster & shrimp overboard! it's a seafood party on a plate. so hurry in. 'cause & shrim summerfest won't last.
11:48 pm
11:49 pm
with my bladder leakage, the products i've tried just didn't fit right. they were very saggy. it's getting in the way of our camping trips. but with new sizes, depend fit-flex is made for me. introducing more sizes for better comfort. new depend fit-flex underwear is guaranteed to be your best fit.
11:50 pm
11:51 pm
president trump slamming the door op the super bowl champion philadelphia eagles. and he has canceled their scheduled visit at the white house. eagles issuing a statement saying it's been incredibly thrilling to celebrate our first super bowl championship, watching the entire ea community come together has been an inspiration. we are truly grateful for all the support we have received and we are looking forward to continuing our preparations for the 2018 season. t statement. congressman dent, i want to play this. this is a former eagles player torrey smith said on my show back in february about not attending the white house ceremony.
11:52 pm
here it is. >> if i told you i was invited to a party by an individual that i believe is sexist, this individual has said offensive things against many minority groups and i don't feel comfortable with it. my indivual also called my peers and friends s.o.b.s. you would understand why i don't want to go to that party. why is it any different when this person has a title president of the united states. >> so the eagles' response was certainly showed unity, uniting. he had a very good point there, don't you think, congressman? >> i do. i think torrey smith made a very fair point that he objects to many of the president's comments or behavior. and he felt that he didn't want to attend. i respect that. he's very honest about it. he was very civil about it and i have a lot of respect for the man. i think it was a fair statement.
11:53 pm
>> espn's jamel hill tweeted this. she it's t new news several of the eagles were participating weren't interested in going to the white house. this was a political setup by trump. >> no doubt about it. cultural wars are only successful when we're stupid enough to fall for them. he sends these dog whistles out to his base. he sends these dog whistles out to various voters. this is trump bullying the nfl owners, the nfl owners look at these players as cattle. they tell them when to stand, tell them when they can stand, what they can't stand for, where they can stand. these players are saying i have a platform. i want no utilize my voice. i am no one's piece of chatle. i can raise my voice and express
11:54 pm
my first amendment rights like anyone else. this isn't the first team to do this. the golden state warriors said the hell with donald trump, too. and they went to the national n-american history museum instead. so you're starting to see players of color, players of conscious, even chris long come together and raise their voices like muhammad ali did. and we all praised muhammad ali because they forget the revolutionhe was. >> in the time, in the moment he wasn't necessarily celebrated. but history has been very kind to him and people see him for the hero that he was and is. listen, this all comes, scott, on the heels of the nfl seeming to appease the president by ruling that teams must stand during the national anthem or stay in the locker room. trump got whnted. why is he adding more fuel to the fire? >> two things .i think he felt like he was being set up to have
11:55 pm
an event where he was going to be embarrassed at his own venue and he wasn't willing to do that. mb like every time this is in the news, this whole issue of standing for the national anthem, thatt's a political winner. what i fear for the president is that i actually believe he may be on the cusp of locking in some gains with the african-american community based on his work on criminal ju reform, based on some of the people on this point of view on certain issue, based on unemployment drops of african-americans. i fear these kinds of issues are roadblocks in making those in roads that he could be on the cusp of making otherwise. we'll see if the president is right. he thinks it's a long-term political victory. i think he may be stunting his growth with the african-american community when he been trying to lock in some gains by going to the well one more time on this issue. >> if you saw bacari's face, he does not agree with anything at all you say. >> no, no. i wanted to get the last word.
11:56 pm
>> fly eagle, fly. come on. >> i'm a former philadelphian. all i have to say is i don't necessarily agree with this, but the players are certainly welcome to come to the white house and celebrate the american people and the military. and if they don't want to show us, that's their business. we'll have a great celebration anyways. that would be better than saying you can't come, you're uninvited. thank you all. we'll be right back.
11:57 pm
♪ you're just too good to be true ♪ ♪ can't take my eyes off you ♪ ♪ i love you baby ♪ and if it's quite all right ♪ i need you baby ♪ to warm the lonely nights applebee's 2 for $20, now with steak. now that'sgood in the neighborhood. hey, i'm curious about your social security alerts. oh! just sign up online and we'll alert you if we find your social security number on any one of thousands of risky sites. that sounds super helpful. how much is it? well, if you have a discover card, it'free. no way! yes way! we just think it's important for you to be in the know. all right! hey... ewww! everything ok? being in the know is very good. yeah, it is. ooo don't shake! don't shake! ahhh! know if your social security number is found on risky sites.
11:58 pm
from discover. m? dad? hi! i had a very minor fender bender tonight in an unreasonably narrow fast food drive thru lane. but what a powerful life lesson. and don't worry i have everything handled. i already spoke to our allstate agent, and i know that we have accident forgiveness. which is so smart on your guy's part. like fact that they'll just... forgive you... four weeks without the car. okay, yup. good night. with accident forgiveness your rates won't go up just because of an accident.
11:59 pm
switching to allstate is worth it.
12:00 am
i thought after sandy hook, where 20 six and seven year olds were slain, this would never happen again. it has happened more than 200 times in 5 years. dianne feinstein and a new generation are leading the fight to pass a new assault weapons ban. say no to the nra and yes to common-sense gun laws. california values senator dianne feinstein this is "cnn tonight", 11:00 p.m. here on the east coast. live with all the news with you. robert mueller wants to revoke or revise manafort's house arrest, which could send him to jail.

39 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on