Skip to main content

tv   Erin Burnett Out Front  CNN  August 15, 2018 4:00pm-5:00pm PDT

4:00 pm
considering an investigation? the irs simply will not comment. in the meantime, trump's attorneys will fight the new york attorney general case vigorously. they file their response to the suit later this month. >> drew griffin, great reporting. i am jim sciutto. thanks for watching. erin burnett outfront starts right now. outfront next, breaking news, abuse of power. former cia director john brennan ripping into president trump after he revokes brennan's security clearance. why is trump making this unprecedented move tonight? plus, the white house is already under fire for whether the president said the "n" word, now requested about lack of diversity. and andrew cuomo's critics pouncing after he said america was never that great. what does this mean for the potential candidate. let's go outfront. good evening. outfront, breaking news. president trump going after his
4:01 pm
enemies in an unprecedented way tonight. the president today truly is unprecedented what he did to former cia director john brennan. according to brennan after he revoked the clearance, he didn't inform him. he let him find out through television. >> i was called by a friend and associa associate when sarah huckabee sanders was giving that statement so i had no knowledge of it beforehand, no one contacted me. i have not heard anything from any government official since then or before then. >> okay. so not only did no one from the trump administration, from the white house, tell the former head of the cia that the president of the united states had in an unprecedented manner stripped him of his security clearance. the cia itself was caught off guard, they didn't know this was going to happen. we're reporting no one consulted the top national security adviser to the president, dan
4:02 pm
coats. that's an incredible thing to think about. on what grounds does the white house say the unprecedented decision was made? sarah sanders had to take the questions. the president didn't want to do it himself. here's what she said. >> mr. brennan has recently leveraged his status as a former high ranking official with access to highly sensitive information to make a series of unfounded and outrageous allegations while outbursts on the internet and television about this administration. >> so what is she talking about? brennan has been critical, sure. that's his right as an american citizen. >> i think donald trump has badly sullied the reputation of the office of the presidency with his in vektive constant disregard for human decency. that's why i used the term this is nothing short of treasonous. he is giving aid and comfort to
4:03 pm
the enemy. i am at a loss of words to describe how outrageous his words, his statements, his behavior has been. he lacks integrity. he is mean spirited. >> okay. they're strong words. do they justify the unprecedented action of stripping the former director of the cia of his security clearance? no, they don't because that happens when you did i vvulge classified information. that's according to susan collins, who tells cnn while in her opinion brennan has been, quote, far too political in statements, unless there was disclosure of classified information of which i am unaware, i don't see the grounds for revoking his security clearance. and that's the key thing here. you would think the white house to take this unprecedented action would have been prepared with mountains of evidence, classified information being divulged, all of that would be needed to revoke the security
4:04 pm
clearance that spent 25 years with the cia, that served republican and democratic presidents. when sarah sanders was asked does she have any evidence whatsoever that brennan misused classified information, she couldn't answer the question. in fact, the question was very direct from major garrett. he says does this suggest he misused information or monetized access to it. he asked directly. her answer, no, i wouldn't make any assumptions. i am telling you what the decision was based off of. no evidence. yet unprecedented action was taken without consulting america's top security agencies. so why now? maybe this is why. team trump stoenlt wa-- doesn't want to talk about the investigation with paul manafort's case, the former campaign chairman going to the hands of the jury. and team trump definitely doesn't wants to talk about this. >> what do you say to drit
4:05 pm
imcompeten -- critics about insulting prominent african americans. >> have you asked the president has he used the "n" word. can you guarantee the american people will never hear donald trump utter the "n" word on a recording of any context? >> i can't guarantee anything. >> sure sounds like purging your enemies, having everyone talk about that may be better for trump than talking about omarosa, the fact that his own spokesperson can't guarantee he has never said the "n" word, or bob mueller. jeff zeleny is live at the white house. it is a stunning, unprecedented action. and they gave no evidence of him doing anything wrong with classified information. why now? >> that is a good question. a question that tonight is still unanswered. we have a window into at least the white house's thinking on this. you remember back three weeks ago on the 23rd of july, that's the first time when sarah
4:06 pm
sanders said the president was thinking about revoking security clearance of john brennan and others, right after the helsinki summit, he was being critical of his tepid language towards vladimir putin. we got a sense of the president may have gone ahead with that. when you look at the date on the statement from the president announced today by sarah sanders, it seemed like it was new information, like the president just reached this. but if you look at the date on the statement from the president, it is in front of the viewers, july 26th, 2018, the first date sent out. that was three days after this was first discussed and under review. the white house quickly sent out a revised statement without a date on it. a white house official said it was a copy paste error, that date shouldn't have been on there. they say it was either a mistake or likely more reason for the president has been sitting on this potentially, looking for a change of subject. many things to change the subject. i'm told, erin, the president is fine with how the omarosa conversation is playing out.
4:07 pm
he believes it is just fine for his base. but that paul manafort trial is a different matter entirely. that's something the verdict could come tomorrow. the jury will be deliberating this and of course the russian investigation. that's what changed. the president clearly may have made up his mind some weeks ago. >> thank you very much, jeff zeleny. 26th of july was three weeks and one day ago. that's not a sudden decision. let's go to a member of the intelligence committee. congressman, good to have you back. john brennan said he found out from a friend watching sarah sanders on television announce this. no one called him. he still according to what he said in the past hour has not heard from any government official. what's your reaction? >> sounds a lot like former fbi director james comey that had to watch on television, thought it was a joke when people told him he was being fired. that just shows the respect or lack of respect the president has for people who have
4:08 pm
patriotically served this country in law enforcement and the intelligence community. >> so as i mentioned, we're reporting and jim sciutto was able to find out that the director of national intelligence, top national security adviser to the president wasn't consulted, he didn't know about this. we are also reporting the cia itself as an institution, former head of the cia, unprecedented action, no one checked with them. this was made by the president, right, and it is within his purview to do this, but it was certainly made without input on classified information being divulged. >> and erin, also as the ranking member on the cia subcommittee, i was not informed. i'm checking now with our intelligence committee staff to see if anyone there was informed. i think the bigger picture here because it is insulting the way the president has done it, it looks quite petty that he has done this the day after john brennan criticized him. the big picture here is we're less safe because the president is doing that. a couple of weeks ago when this
4:09 pm
was floated by the president, i called a secretary that served in a prior administration, i said secretary, i want to be sure i am not being too harsh on the president for wanting to do this. i said did you ever call on former senior administration officials from prior administrations and he said he did it all the time. he said when he made decisions, he wanted to understand why prior administration officials had evaluated a situation differently or the same and he said it helped him make decisions. we're having a much more insular national security team if we are going to penalize people who can help. >> and now you can't have the current director of the cia call his predecessor and ask. his predecessor had intelligence and made decisions based upon it. what do you make of this date? they're saying it was -- it is unclear, the typo, copy over, whatever it was. the letter that was dated with all of this taking away the security clearance was dated july 26th, three weeks and a day ago. why do you think all of a sudden the letter comes out today.
4:10 pm
then they re-released it, took the date off it. obviously it looks like the decision had been reached more than three weeks ago. they waited until today. >> to me, erin, the simplest explanation is the correct one. they probably felt the heat. people i hope spoke up and said don't do this, this system allows us to call on our best and brightest, but i think the president is such a small person that he could not weather the criticism that was put at him last night by former director brennan and i think it was forced today. that seems to explain a lot of the president's behavior. it was more lizard brain reflexive than drawn out process to think it through. >> as i pointed out, sarah sanders was asked directly did she have any evidence and they didn't have any, right. and earlier when she gave the explanation said he made these outrageous allegations which appears to be the truth, that's what they were upset about, not classified information being released which would be the only
4:11 pm
thing that would justify removing a security clearance. congressman, the president doesn't like brennan because he criticized him. that's the bottom line. it gets under his skin. i want to play again some of those. >> i think donald trump has badly sullied the reputation of the office of the presidency with his invective, with disregard for human decency. i used the term it is nothing short of treasonous. it is a betrayal of the nation. he is giving aid and comfort to the enemy. i am at a loss of words to describe how outrageous it is, his words, statements, behavior has been. >> he lacks integrity. he is mean spirited. >> the republican senator susan collins, her point was okay, wish you hadn't been so political but that's not reason to strip anyone of security
4:12 pm
clearance. but her point that he has been too political. do i agree with that? well, he's a citizen now, he has a right like we all do to state his opinion. erin, what i fear is the list of people that cia director gina haspel or mike pompeo can go to when they need a decision, i can tell you as someone that looks at classified information every day and the threat picture we face, there are decisions that prior officials made that are still pending today. we want them to have a long list of experts to go to to protect all of us. if you're just cutting the list of people that agree with the president, then i think we're going to have a narrow view of the world and how to protect it. >> brennan was asked what he would do about this today. here's how he responded. >> right now i'm still absorbing the announcement. it is not going to effect my
4:13 pm
speaking out and my criticisms of mr. trump. i'm going to try to do it in a professional way, but i don't know what recourse there is and so i'll just take things one day at a time. >> you mentioned you're on the cia subcommittee of the intelligence committee of which you are a part. is there anything you can do about it, he can do about it, or is this his own deal, the president is in charge. >> i'm not worried what john brennan will do about it, he is a person of integrity. i wonder what is senator corker going to do about it. senator corker said a couple weeks ago when this was floated by the president, he said this is something that would only happen in venezuela. paul ryan said he was doing it to troll the public. what are people that said this couldn't happen going to do now that it has come to our shores and is not just venezuela. >> are they going to stand up, take action as you point out. paul ryan certainly dismissing it as somewhat of a joke.
4:14 pm
obviously it is no joke tonight. thank you very much, congressman. breaking news. the jury headed for deliberations in the manafort trial. will the jury spare him from a potential life sentence. and the white house struggling to answer a basic question. how many african americans work at the white house. a nine-year-old boy reunited in guatemala after being separated at the border. why is stormy daniels' lawyer at the center of this story? people confuse nice and kind. but they're different. it's nice to remove artificial ingredients. kind never had to. we choose real ingredients like almonds, peanuts and a drizzle of dark chocolate. find your favorite and give kind® a try. it's a revolution in sleep. the new sleep number 360 smart bed, from $999... intelligently senses your movement and automatically
4:15 pm
adjusts on each side to keep you both comfortable. and snoring? how smart is that? smarter sleep. to help you lose your dad bod, train for that marathon, and wake up with the patience of a saint. and now, save up to $500 on select sleep number 360 smart beds. plus, no interest until january 2021. ends wednesday. ♪ ♪ our new, hot, fresh breakfast will get you the readiest.
4:16 pm
(buzzer sound) holiday inn express. be the readiest. ♪ it is such a good time to dance ♪ ♪ it is such a good time to [ laughing ] ♪ scoobidoo doobidoo ♪ scoobidoo doobidoo [ goose honking ] ♪ [ laughing ] a bad day on the road still beats a good one off it. ♪ progressive helps keep you out there.
4:17 pm
♪ a 50% chance isn't good enough when it comes to your kid's nutrition. 1 out of 2 kids don't get enough calcium, vitamin d, and potassium. make sure your kid isn't one of them. one simple way? 3 servings of real milk a day. serve real milk at mealtime. is not a marathon. it's a series of smart choices. and when you replace one meal or snack a day with glucerna
4:18 pm
made with carbsteady to help minimize blood sugar spikes you can really feel it. glucerna. everyday progress. breaking news. paul manafort could be hours from learning his faite. this is the first step of the mueller investigation going to jury. the jury in the former campaign chairman's trial, it is now in their hands after hours of closing arguments from the prosecution and defense. kara, you know what's incredible, this is a big moment. america said what's going to happen with the mueller investigation. this is the first case at trial. the defense did not even present a case but did in closing arguments say manafort should be found not guilty. what was the more persuasive argument? >> reporter: you're right. this is a really big moment after ten days of trial
4:19 pm
testimony. the decision will be in the hands of the jury tomorrow morning when they begin deliberations. manafort attorneys are exhibiting confidence. they point out shortcomings in the government's case. they addressed the jury telling them, suggesting the case is politically motivated, that the special counsel office was cherry picking, selecting certain bank records and documents of manafort and also saying that this was really stacked up, shouldn't believe rick gates because he was a liar. the government didn't back away from that. they told the jury to focus on the 27 witnesses they heard over ten days of testimony. they said rick gates isn't perfect and the jury didn't have to like him. manafort's team made a big deal of rick gates having an affair, the prosecutors tackled that head on. they told the jury that rick gates' affair doesn't make manafort any less guilty and said the real star witness of the case are the documents, 388
4:20 pm
of them. erin? >> thank you very much. i want to go to former assistant u.s. attorney for southern district of new york. white house reporter for politico, and author of the threat matrix. garrett graph. harry, this is the first big test. this is a huge deal for this president, when he watches this trial. how soon could we have a verdict? >> we could have one by friday afternoon. jurs juries if they can finish by end of the week may do that. maybe friday after lunch. if there's an issue, a juror or two with a dissenting view, then all bets are off for several days. >> the standard is what? >> proof beyond a reasonable doubt on every count. >> this is near and dear to the president. heard jeff zeleny saying he may care more about this development than he does even about omarosa and the "n" word. how nervous should the white house be about this verdict for the former campaign chairman?
4:21 pm
>> i think the white house has a lot at stake in this case and that if mueller's team loses this, it will be an enormous blow. this is the first building block in mueller's case and he is building up to a larger case against donald trump. we know that because when rick gates testified, he was trump's deputy campaign manager, there was a private talk between the prosecution, the judge and defense attorney, and they indicated that mueller's attorneys had talked to gates about his role on the trump campaign, and the prosecution is going to try to squeeze mueller if he's convicted for his testimony against trump as well. so this should not be looked at in isolation but as a building block that mueller will use if he wins to leverage against trump. >> that's the crucial thing to make the point here. manafort all of a sudden
4:22 pm
convicted could be more -- >> assuming he has something to help mueller. we all assumed that he knows things about the trump tower meeting and other dealings with russia, the change in the republican party platform that nobody else would know, but that's the big inference. if he knows something -- >> that's what the president seems worried about. rudy guiliani issuing a threat to bob mueller, he tells bloomberg, quote, if he doesn't get it done the next two or three weeks, we will just unload on him like a ton of bricks. write the damn report so we can see it and rebut it. what's mueller's reaction to rudy guiliani do you think saying if you don't get it done on my timetable, i'm going to unload on you like a ton of bricks. >> i don't think that bob mueller is paying much attention to rudy guiliani's daily
4:23 pm
rantings. we need to pause and remember this. rudy guiliani is one of the nation's most revered and celebrated, famous u.s. attorneys. and it is clear listening to him talk these days that he has forgotten more about the way the justice department operates than most people in their lives ever know, with emphasis on the word forgotten. he keeps inventing these policies and timetables that don't actually exist and have no bearing on bob mueller's investigation. >> just to be clear, they've been setting timetables since thanksgiving, it was christmas, then spring, then june 12 after the korean summit, then july 4th, then september 1st. now we know mueller is taking some testimony related to roger stone. >> yep. >> on september 7th, i believe. that means there's no way they're going to be done with a report in the next three weeks, just to state an obvious issue
4:24 pm
here. so rudi is stuck doing what? >> he is making speeches. i think the real argument isn't the lawyers as garrett said. i don't see why the mueller team cares at all. they're going to keep doing the work in secret. i think the audience is trump supporters and surrogates to signal it is time to go to the mattress. >> this is not the only wild comment guiliani made in the past 24 hours. i feel i need to caveat that. he has been infamous since he started working for the president. last night said facts are not in black and white. that's not the first time he's done it. >> if fact counting is anything, never had anybody with the level that he does. >> in the eye of the beholder. >> facts are not in the eye of the beholder. you're always welcome to argue the case. >> how do you separate fact and
4:25 pm
opinion? >> it is incredible. i don't know how you separate fact from opinion. but this is what rudy guiliani obviously thinks is working. >> it is true. quite telling in that tape. guiliani said nowadays facts are in the eye of the beholder, and i think that's true, but the key thing to understand is that rudy guiliani is not a lawyer in the traditional sense of the term protecting his client from criminal charges. guiliani knows that ultimately he will have to protect trump from impeachment, which is a political matter that plays out in congress. his audience is the broader american public. i think in setting deadlines, he is trying to build in the eyes of the american public the sense that the probe is dragging on far too long. he sets these deadlines, then
4:26 pm
the mueller probe ex-tenltends that, 45% of the public now thinks the probe is illegitimate. >> thank you very much. for those that just want the facts, this probe has been shorter than any other probe in u.s. history. on that matter, mueller has been quicker than others in the past. obviously that's not what team trump would have you think. thanks very much to all. next, despite trying to change the subject, the white house struggling to answer basic questions about diversity. >> look, i'm not going to go through and do a count. >> one republican senator speaks out after trump calls omarosa a dog. >> are you comfortable with that kind of attack? >> i'm not comfortable with that. i don't think words like that should be used. if you have psoriasis, ...
4:27 pm
little things can be a big deal. that's why there's otezla. otezla is not a cream. it's a pill that treats moderate to severe plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable. don't use if you're allergic to otezla . it may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. otezla is associated with... ...an increased risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have  a history of depression or suicidal thoughts,... ...or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. upper respiratory tract infection and headache may occur. tell your doctor about your medicines and if you're pregnant or planning to be. otezla. show more of you. all your school get supplies today... school.. grade.. done. done. hit the snooze button and get low prices on school supplies all summer long. like these for only a 25 cents at office depot officemax.
4:28 pm
4:29 pm
i'm a small business, but i have... big dreams... and big plans. so how do i make the efforts of 8 employees... feel like 50? how can i share new plans virtually? how can i download an e-file? virtual tours? zip-file? really big files? in seconds, not minutes... just like that. like everything... the answer is simple. i'll do what i've always done... dream more, dream faster, and above all... now, i'll dream gig. now more businesses, in more places, can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network.
4:30 pm
new tonight, press secretary sarah sanders refusing to answer what's a very simple question. how many african americans work in the white house. >> look, i'm not going through and do a count, same way i'm not doing a sit down and count on staffers that are in your news organizations. we would love to diversify our staff and continue to do so. we think it is important. we're going to continue to work to make that happen. >> up front, angela wry and gina louden. in the context we're talking about, all of the discussion on omarosa, whether there's an n word tape, and kellyanne conway not able to say the last name of
4:31 pm
one african-american she could label that worked with her in the white house, it would seem a simple question, how many black staffers work in the white house. she couldn't even give a rough number. does that disappoint you? >> the division and the fact we have to count people based on skin color, i don't like that. you look back at our history, we have a pretty amazing history of overcoming slavery, of expanding civil rights, of women's rights, and a lot of those things happened under american presidents that didn't have any minorities at all on their white houses. thank god we do. i looked over the list of people i know there, about one-third are a minority or women. those are great strides. could they be better? absolutely. i talked to some friends in the white house, they said they would love more diversity in the white house. the problem is when you have someone come out, defend the president or say they want to sit towdown with him, for examp
4:32 pm
kanye west, they're annihilated in the press. there's a trepidation there. if we could focus on the fact we would like to build on that, work on it together, i know the administration is open to that. >> so roughly a third, you're saying two-thirds are white men, one-third of diverse but counting women in there? not sure i understand. >> erin, if you look at the coms department, as far as my count, i did it cursory before the show, i think it depends department to department. i think the bottom line is the policy that comes out of this white house. 700,000 new jobs, record unemployment for all mienlnorit and women. you know the list and it is a good list. and there's more coming out. more on dodd-frank repeal. there's great news coming out about small business leaders, many of them are minorities, so there's a lot of good news, erin.
4:33 pm
>> angela? >> i think i got stuck at gina saying that american presidents have done a great deal for people of color like ending slavery? i think i'm stuck in 1865 now. like i can't believe that's -- >> this is a republican president. >> that's great, but you missed the mark. for you to have to say that we don't necessarily need diversity in this white house. >> that's not what i said. that is not what i said. >> let me tell you what i heard, i don't think you hardly understand. >> you're going to keep talking over me. my black life matters and so does my voice. listen to what i'm saying to you. what you said was deeply offensive. what i am telling you is you can't say, at least you shouldn't feel comfortable saying it in 2018 that this white house not having diversity can be akin to presidents who didn't have any black people on their staff, but for slavery,
4:34 pm
freeing slaves. that's not okay in 2018. i let you talk through all of that nonsense. i need you to let me finish my point. my point is this. you're not going to be able to successfully name one black person who works in the west wing because you know what, omarosa didn't even work in the west wing. regardless of your points about slavery which are nonsense, i hope you rip those talking points tonight, they should never be resurrected. i am telling you it is a problem in this white house with the staff, the reason is it is slim pickings. you know why? because nobody wants to work for a racist. there's not a single senior black person in the white house, and don't you dare say ben carson because he doesn't work there, how dare his gifted hand who is a brain surgeon and who has never done anything on a construction project -- it is nonsense like your talking
4:35 pm
points. >> go ahead, gina. >> i understand your feelings on this. >> no, you don't. >> i have an adopted minority son, yes, i do, who happens to have down's syndrome. he experiences bigotry every day in a myriad of ways, not just skin color, also because of his disability. i understand that you and i don't agree, but i would not support a president i believed would be a threat to his future. >> well, you are. >> i would like a constructive conversation. i think points like yours that are focusing only on the negative and not even acknowledging 700,000 new jobs for black people in this country, record low unemployment and the rest of it, it is tantamount to what andrew cuomo said that upset me that america has never been great. >> america has never been great. it is not great because people like you come on and lie for the president of the united states and tout, bring out your son as an example? you should be completely ashamed of yourself.
4:36 pm
>> what america is doing well. how about look at what we can do and agree to build on it rather than call each other names, cut each other down and be divisive. >> starts at the top. as soon as your president stops calling people names, maybe he will set a better example for everyone else. >> we'll leave it there. thank you both very much. the emotional reunion of a mother and son months after being separated at the border. a reunion that may not have been possible without the help of stormy daniels' attorney. and new york governor andrew cuomo. here's what he said and it stunned a roomful of people. >> we're not going to make america great again, it was never that great. >> wait until you hear the reaction in the crowd. so what's his explanation? ♪[upbeat music]
4:37 pm
♪now i'm gonna tell my momma♪ ♪that i'm a traveller ♪i'm gonna follow the sun♪ ♪now i'm gonna tell my momma ♪that i'm a traveller transitions™ light under control™ we're listening to what matters most to you. and we're committed to improving every ride. starting with features designed to make it easy for your driver to find you... taking the stress out of pickups. ♪ we're putting safety at the heart of everything we do... by making it easy to verify your car, and driver. uber has new leadership, a new vision, and is moving in a new direction...
4:38 pm
forward but i am a simple farmer.bas! my life is here... [telephone ring] ahoy-hoy. alexander graham bell here... no, no, my number is one, you must want two! two, i say!! like my father before... [telephone ring] like my father before... ahoy-hoy! as long as people talk too loudly on the phone, you can count on geico saving folks money. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. whoooo. you rely on tripadvisor so you don't miss out on the perfect hotel... but did you know you can also use tripadvisor so you don't miss out on the best price? tripadvisor searches over 200 booking sites to find the hotel you want for the lowest price. saving you up to 30%! so you can spend less time missing out... and more time paddling out!
4:39 pm
tripadvisor. visit tripadvisor.com or download the app!
4:40 pm
new tonight. a nine-year-old boy has been reunited with his mother in guatemala nearly three months after they were separated because of president trump's zero tolerance immigration policy, and the person that helped make this happen, stormy daniels' lawyer and potential
4:41 pm
presidential candidate michael avenatti. sara sidner is out front. >> reporter: a mother and her son's first embrace after being separated for 81 days by u.s. immigration officials. nine-year-old's biggest concern when he sees his mom, wiping her tears away. what did your son say to you, what did you say to him when you saw him after all this time? >> translator: i started crying for joy, he kept telling me not to cry. mom, don't cry. he doesn't like to see me cry. >> reporter: they were separated by immigration officials in may when they crossed the u.s. mexico border illegally, fleeing guatemala, the family running straight into the realities of a new trump administration policy to separate children from families as deterrent to the undocumented. he was one of 380 children hhs said last week was still in u.s. custody with a parent who had
4:42 pm
been deported. the ortizes day didn't begin with joy. it began with him walking into immigration court, a hearing that ended in his tears. a judge ordered he could go home, but that could take up to 60 more days. but he had something others in his predicament didn't, a private attorney, the same man who represents porn star stormy daniels, michael avenatti. >> this is an absolute outrage. if the president and mr. miller and the rest of his cronies truly want people to come here illegally returned to their country as quickly as possible, why did the government attorney repeatedly upstairs refuse to agree to what we asked for, namely to take this young boy home to his mother today. >> reporter: avenatti petitioned the court to allow him to take temporary custody of him and take him to his mother in guatemala immediately. all at avenatti's expense.
4:43 pm
the government attorney refused the request, but less than 8 hours after that hearing with cameras surrounding him, hhs officials handed him over to avenatti and co-counsel. with that, he was taking his first flight ever, a three and a half hour flight from houston to guatemala. all of this as michael avenatti has floated his interest in a potential 2020 presidential bid, leading to critics wondering if this was his foray into one of the hottest political battles going. >> what do you say to critics who say this is a publicity stunt? how do you respond to that? >> first of all, i don't know any critic saying it is a publicity stunt. i represent dozens of mothers and children for weeks, traveling around the country, doing good work, having kids reunited with parents. my record speaks for itself. >> reporter: the ortiz family didn't care one way or the other. for them, it was a miraculous turn of events that left the
4:44 pm
family whole again. >> translator: thanks to god i have him here now, and thanks to mr. avenatti who has been so good to me since the beginning. >> reporter: and michael avenatti says he was happy to help. as for critics, he bristles at the idea it was a publicity stunt saying he was doing these cases long before he ever thought of potentially running for the presidency. erin? >> all right, thank you very much. and next, one republican senator slamming trump, saying he went too far calling omarosa a dog. will other republicans follow his lead? and jeanne moos on why paul manafort may have cold feet literally. improve our workflow. attract new customers. that's when fastsigns recommended fleet graphics. yeah! now business is rolling in. get started at fastsigns.com. and it's also a story mail aabout people yeah! now business is rolling in.
4:45 pm
and while we make more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country, we never forget... that your business is our business the united states postal service. priority: you
4:46 pm
4:47 pm
why people everywhere are upgrading their water filter to zerowater. start with water that has a lot of dissolved solids. pour it through brita's two-stage filter. dissolved solids remain? what if we filter it over and over? (sighing) oh dear. thank goodness zerowater's five-stage filter gets to all zeroes the first time. so, maybe it's time to upgrade. get more out of your water. get zerowater. get more out of your water. whenshe was pregnant,ter failed,
4:48 pm
in-laws were coming, a little bit of water, it really- it rocked our world. i had no idea the amount of damage that water could do. we called usaa. and they greeted me as they always do. sergeant baker, how are you? they were on it. it was unbelievable. having insurance is something everyone needs, but having usaa- now that's a privilege. we're the baker's and we're usaa members for life. usaa. get your insurance quote today. new tonight, the democratic new york governor andrew cuomo is under fire for saying america, quote, was never that great. cuomo's comments were met with gasps. i want to play them for you in full. here he is. >> the simple point is all of this comes down to this. we're not going to make america great again. it was never that great. we have not reached greatness.
4:49 pm
we will reach greatness when every american is fully engaged. we will reach greatness when discrimination and stereo typing against women, 51% of our population, is gone. and every woman's full potential is realized and unleashed and every woman is making her full contribution. >> cuomo is up for re-election, trying to fend off a challenge in his own party from cynthia nixon which he massively leads in the polls at least 'til now. president trump dared cuomo to run against him in 2020. out front now, democratic congresswoman, debra lawrence, sits on the government reform committee. i appreciate your time, congresswoman. when this happened, you heard when he first said we're not going to make america great
4:50 pm
again, it was never that great, there were gasps. people were shocked. he went on to explain what he meant. what's your reaction? >> we've had some dark moments in our history in this great country that i call my home. you know, there was slavery. there was a time when i as a woman was not allowed to vote. there were civil rights movements. there are times in this history that we had to confront something that was wrong in our country. and the thing that gives us a sense of saying that we're moving in the right direction is that our democracy stood up. it was never an easy process. it was that we stood up and we fought back, and we changed things. we have a lot to change now, and unfortunately, it feels almost like the clock is being rolled back, because we had made so many accomplishments in this country. >> yeah.
4:51 pm
>> i still pledge of allegiance to one nation under god, indivisible with liberty and justice for all. >> yes. >> but freedom is not free. >> i do want to ask you, though, because kwoem shcuomo is the gof the state of new york. he is up for reelection his republican challenger said cuomo owes the nation an apology and he should be ashamed of himself. do you think these comments will haunt him until november. because the way you describe this country getting is not at all what he said. maybe he was trying to be cute with his play on words. that's a sound bite made in heaven for somebody rung against him for office. >> yes, it is. but every person has to tell their own story. but what i will say is we cannot run away from the truth. well cannot run away from the fact that i was once my forefathers were enslaved. we in the constitution fought
4:52 pm
through that. we resist that. we cyst as woman who have rights. now we have to resist what we see happening every day, being led by a president that is trying to divide us again. >> president trump has been under fire when you talk about being divisive for his attacks on omarosa manigault newman, right, his former aide. he has called her, among other things on twitter in the last couple of days a loser, a low life and a dog, and now republicans are even saying he went too far. here is orrin hatch, your colleague. >> i'm not comfortable with that, and, you know, i don't -- i don't think words like that should be used, especially by the president. >> you don't go lower than her low. the white house was on the verge of winning this one, and now they're losing it again because the president went too far. >> and that of course was ari fleischer, former white house spokesman. are republicans doing enough to denounce trump for words he is using, whatever omarosa may or may not be, honest, dishonest, besides the point.
4:53 pm
we're talking about the president's words to describe her. >> you know, it's interesting to see a white man say he's uncomfortable. i'm sitting here in america as a black woman and knowing that one of the things -- tools that were used during slavery was to dehumanize you, to call you names and not treat you as a human being. to hear this is insulting. and then we have the president of the united states who took an oath to serve, protect, defend, and here he is destroying relationships and not having the political understanding or compassion to understand the power and the damage his words make every single time he does it. it is so frustrating. and i can tell him shame on you the fact that you are comfortable on a national platform to address a woman in that way, shame on you. and you are the president. and unfortunately, you're my president too. and i'm telling you, i always
4:54 pm
think he's hit rock bottom. this is totally unacceptable. >> all right. well congresswoman, i appreciate your time. thank you. >> thank you. and next, paul manafort taking a stand in court, refusing to put on socks. jeanne moos is next. fidelity is redefining value for investors.
4:55 pm
introducing zero account fees for brokerage accounts. and zero minimums to open an account. we have fidelity mutual funds with zero minimum investment. and now, only fidelity offers two zero expense ratio index funds directly to investors. because when you invest with fidelity, all those zeros really add up. ♪ so maybe i'll win, saved by zero ♪ your hair is so soft!lly add up. did you use head and shoulders two in one? i did mom. wanna try it? yes. it intensely moisturizes your hair and scalp and keeps you flake free. manolo? look at my soft hair. i should be in the shot now too. try head and shoulders two in one.
4:56 pm
4:57 pm
i'm a small business, but i have... big dreams... and big plans. so how do i make the efforts of 8 employees... feel like 50? how can i share new plans virtually? how can i download an e-file? virtual tours? zip-file? really big files? in seconds, not minutes... just like that. like everything... the answer is simple. i'll do what i've always done... dream more, dream faster, and above all... now, i'll dream gig. now more businesses, in more places, can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network.
4:58 pm
tonight paul manafort literally getting cold feet. here is jeanne moos. >> reporter: it came as a no socks shock. here is a courtroom sketch of paul manafort, and all i can think about is no socks? after all those photos of ostrich and $18,000 python jackets he bought, the skin that's now getting attention is human ankle. as if all the other jokes weren't enough. >> and manafort did not take the stand. however, he did take a watch, three wallets, and the judge's gavel. >> reporter: now his sockless feet are twitter targets. another inmate took his ostrich socks. other public figures flaunt their socks, be it president george h.w. bush with his lobster and superman socks worn
4:59 pm
on his 89th birthday, or canadian prime minister justin trudeau, sporting everything from ducks to chewbacca. >> you're famous for your sox. >> it distracts people every now and then. >> it does. >> reporter: yeah, so do no socks in a courtroom. since he is in custody, manafort is not allowed to wear a belt or shoelace, and he is only allowed government-issued white socks. his spokesman tells cnn he doesn't like white socks. as esquire put it, paul manafort is being forced into socklessness by his own vanity. though esquire actually points out actually white socks are awesome. they're in. but some loafer lovers prefer freedom for their feet. and if he wouldn't wear white sox, it's a safe bet the fashion conscious former trump campaign chairman wouldn't get caught dead in trump hair sock, selling for 30 bucks at walmart. jeanne moos, cnn, new york.
5:00 pm
>> i don't like the white sock look. thanks for joinings. you can watch "outfront" any time, anywhere. go to cnn go. "ac 360" starts right now. good evening. after days of battling claims from omarosa manigault newman, the white house chose today to announce that the president has revoked the security clearance of former cia director john brennan, and is reviewing the status of nine others, all former officials the president clearly dislikes for public comments they have made or actions they've taken. the white house says what the president did today is all about national security and not about silencing critics or settling scores. so let's look at who the white house is singling out. john brennan has obviously been very critical of the president as has former director of national intelligence james clapper who is also a cnn contributor. fired fbi directjames comey

104 Views

1 Favorite

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on