Skip to main content

tv   New Day With Alisyn Camerota and John Berman  CNN  August 23, 2018 4:00am-5:01am PDT

4:00 am
>> well, it turns out he wasn't a very good lawyer, frankly. i would see him, sometimes. >> if the democrats take over the house, this charge is enough for them to run an impeachment. >> all we know about it is that he's pled guilty. everything else is speculation. >> you ought to be able to put your country over your political party. this is serious. >> this is "new day" with alisyn camerota and john berman. >> good morning, everyone. welcome to your "new day." president trump is fighting back this morning, after his former longtime attorney, michael cohen, said the president directed him to break the law by making hush money payments to influence the 2016 election. president trump falsely claims there is no campaign finance law. and now says he only knew of the payments, quote, later on, but that contradicts his own words. just last month, cnn exclusively aired audio recorded by michael cohen, you may remember this conversation, that he had with donald trump about paying off karen mcdougal, this was in september of 2016, two months
4:01 am
before the election. >> so, i'm all over that. and i spoke to allen about it. when it comes time for the financing, which will be -- >> wait a sec, what financing? >> we'll have to pay -- >> we'll pay with cash? >> no, no, no, i got -- no, no, no. >> hey, donald, how are you? >> this morning, the president is expressing clear disdain for the criminal justice system, lavishing praise on convicted felon paul manafort. he has now criticism, the president does, for the attorney general jeff sessions for not stopping these prosecutions and as for michael cohen, the president has expressed no concern over the laws that michael cohen has admitted to breaking. instead, the president says the real crime is that michael cohen is flipping. listen. >> it's called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal. you get ten years in jail, but if you say bad things about somebody, in other words, make up stories, if you don't know, make up stories -- they just make up lies.
4:02 am
alan dershowitz said, compose, right? they make up lies -- i've seen it many times. they make up things, and now they go from ten years to they're a national hero. they have a statue erected in their honor. it's not -- it's not a fair thing, but, uh, that's why he did it. he made a very good deal. >> so flipping's the crime, not the actual crime. incidentally, the president also said the markets would crash if he were impeached. >> that's possible. joining us now on the phone is josh dawsey, the cnn political analyst and white house reporter for "the washington post." good morning, josh. >> good morning. how are you? >> i'm well, josh. you have very interesting reporting this morning about the mood inside the white house. so both the president's mood since this news broke and the general mood. so, describe it. >> so, there's a palpable sense in the white house that this is different than a lot of the other sort of bad weeks we've had in the past. i think a lot of folks are shell
4:03 am
shocked that this happened. a lot of people were on the campaign and did not know that this was happening, at least in their telling. a number of white house aides thatt ehad to idea that somethi like this was even possible. that michael cohen was going to stand up in court and say that the president was part of a criminal scheme to pay off women and was going to be under investigation for this. now, for months, people close to the president have said that michael cohen, in their minds, poses more of an existential threat than the russia probe, but the shocking kind of one-two punch of michael cohen's plea, coupled with manafort being convicted within 30 minutes or so of each other, really has put a dim on the place. >> but about the president, we've heard everything from him being exorcised, agitated, fe r
4:04 am
infuriated to almost sad? >> yeah, he's dejected. the president had someone who was his closest fixer, his lawyer, someone who was in almost every meeting for years, who audiotaped him, recorded him, i heard you just put the tape on air, who basically told authorities all of his dirty business. and is really upending his privacy right now. you know, the president sometimes lashes out in anger. you've heard stories of him excoriating top aides from john kelly to sean spicer and reince priebus earlier, obviously. but i don't think he's doing that right now. i think it's more, he's pretty despondent. and he's explaining to aides repeatedly, with you know, how did we get here? why -- is this going to upend my presidency? i think he's talking aloud about different scenarios that we reported today, talking about,
4:05 am
you know, impeachment and would the democrats try to do it? could it backfire? how vulnerable is he? you saw the interview with ainsley earhart, where he's praising paul manafort and talks about how much he dislikes michael cohen and jeff session. there was a palpable sense in the president's mind that he was really making progress in undercutting the mueller probe, that public sentiment was going in his favor. that he had gotten a lot more people to see it his way. and i think the events this week have changed that, in the eyes of many of the white house and the president's eyes, where there's really momentum now for law enforcement and the different investigations into him. >> josh, you also have interesting reporting into a morning meeting yesterday, with the president's top advisers. you say that it was bill shine, the deputy chief of staff in communicationses with sarah sanders, kellyanne conway, john kelly, where they tried to figure out how they were going
4:06 am
to do damage control and address this. and we got a taste of that yesterday when matt schlapp, one of the president's staunchest supporters came on and said to us, quite surprisingly, we thought at the time, no crime here. there's no crime. this is not a crime. there's no campaign finance law that was broken, which i'm sure was also a surprise to michael cohen, who had pleaded guilty to it and was looking at jail time. but, in fact, that started to take hold and bubble up yesterday. so is that your understanding of what this spin will now be? >> well, it's the only spin they can make, because the southern district as you just pointed out has charged michael cohen with it, he pleaded guilty to it. and it's hard to say it's not a crime. the spin that i heard more in the white house is, this was supposed to be about russian collusion, there's been no russian collusion, you know, obama violated campaign finance laws. now, clearly, what he did, if you read the story, was a totally different thing.
4:07 am
it was about reporting in a certain time period. it was not willfully trying to get around the law, like michael cohen here. but the spin i heard more was saying, this was not russian collusion. other people have violated campaign finance laws, you know, this isn't a big deal. i think it's a tough case for the white house to make that this isn't a crime when the [ inaudible ] they do control as part of the executive branch has determined that it is and has already, you know, facing jail time for it. >> josh dawsey, we scrambled you this morning to share your reporting with us, obviously from an underground bunker somewhere, given the audio, this somewhat challenging audio and we appreciate you waking up early for us. >> he's hunkered down reporting, like so many folks right now, because there's so much reporting to do. there's also so much listening to do. because some of the most astounding facts -- or i should
4:08 am
say, statements -- >> that's better. >> -- are coming from the mouth of president trump. i want to bring in jeffrey and susan. moments ago, we heard the president say, the real crime michael cohen commit ted was flipping on donald trump. that's on the heels of him lavishing praise on convicted felon paul manafort, who's convicted of defrauding the united states of america. >> you know, we've run out of adjectives to describe how bizarre donald trump's behavior is. you know, the business of flipping, the business of getting defendants to cooperate on one another is the entire basis, just about, of how u.s. attorney offices work, how federal prosecutions work in this country, which is under the supervision of the president of the united states. and i, as a former federal prosecutor myself, i think it works pretty well. the idea that it is somehow
4:09 am
improper or should be unlawful is astonishing, especially if you think that criminals ought to be prosecuted. >> well -- >> that's the best way we know how to do it. >> he seems to not think so. >> well, apparently. >> he's saying, paufl manafort, you know, great guy, not convicted felon. >> because he didn't break. that's what he said. >> well, the manafort comments are really aston you shaishing, it is worth remembering, putting aside the political context of what manafort was convicted of, the crimes themselves were pretty aston you shaishastonish. here's a guy who when he was making money cheated elaborately on his taxes and when he stopped making money, he started lying to banks to get money under false presences. that's all the paul manafort case was. and the idea that the president would praise someone like that is, again, pretty astonishing. >> susan, in case you haven't heard the president's latest audio or our viewers haven't,
4:10 am
let's play it from this morning. >> are you considering pardoning puerto vallar -- paul manafort? >> i have great respect for what he's done, in terms of what he's gone through. he worked for ronald reagan for years, he worked for bob dole, i guess his firm worked for mccain. he worked for many, many people, many, many years. and i would say what he did, some of the charges they threw against him, every consultant, every lobbyist in washington probably does. if you look at hillary clinton's person, you take a look at the people that work for hillary clinton -- look at the crimes that clinton did, with the e-mails, and she deletes 33,000 e-mails after she gets a subpoena from congress, and this justice department does nothing about it? and all of the other crimes that they've done. >> so we often hear this deflection. we hear a deflection always to obama, always to hillary clinton, but your article, you have a new article, in which you characterize it. you quote norm eisen as the
4:11 am
worst hour of his entire life. tell us about it. >> well, look, i mean, i think that the debate now is what happened. and is this really one of those moments that changes everything or not? i was immediately struck, i'm sure you were, too. do you remember back to october 7th, 2016, that "access hollywood" tape coming out, 4:00 in the afternoon. it felt like it was going to change everything. it was election-changing moment. another one of those trump news cycles, may 9th, 2017, when the white house all of a sudden at 5:00, after 5:00, announced that the president had fired the fub director and it was immediately apparent, enormous consequences would come from that. what would they be? to me, listening and watching as this played out over the course of just an hour the other day, you had that same sense that both everything and possibly nothing would change as a result of it. and it's been fascinating to watch over the last 48 hours that play out. you have republicans on capitol hill. remember, impeachment at this point is the only form of
4:12 am
accountability for president trump, even as more and more of those people who surrounded him, people he, himself, picked to have key roles, they face accountability in the court system and the like. but the president himself, not only at the moment faces no accountability, it's fascinating to watch his sort of un-reality show collide with the very difficult fact set he's now facing, which is the conviction of his former campaign chairman, the cooperation of his former lawyer and confidant with the authorities. listen to him say about paul manafort, well, not only is he a great guy and the problem is, you know, the prosecutors, but to say that everybody, everybody in washington does crimes, millions of dollars flowing through overseas foreign accounts. $15,000 ostrich jackets. my guess is a lot of people in washington would be pretty offended to hear the president say that. he's really trying to fight facts with a level of unreality
4:13 am
that even from the president is quite brazen. >> his argument seems to be, there is no accountability. there is no laws. like the matrix, there is no spoon. it's just not there. you can do whatever you want with it. and his current argument about campaign finance law, that there was no law there, that's broken -- >> or crime. >> or crime, what do you make of that? despite what we have heard from federal prosecutors saying that they have all kinds of law that there was a law and a crime committed. despite the fact that "the wall street journal" is reporting that david pecker, chairman of ami, is telling prosecutors that the president had knowledge of this. >> well, let's remember why campaign finance laws exist. they exist so that we know who funds campaigns, where the money comes from, and where it goes. you know, what do campaigns spend their money on? what michael cohen did, with he says the assistant of the president, was lie about both of those things. where the money campaign from and where it -- >> hold on one second.
4:14 am
let me just add to you, the president says this money didn't come from the campaign, it came from the trump organization. so then he says, that can't break the law. >> well, he actually said, "it came from me." now, whether it comes from the trump organization or him personally is still not clear. but it's illegal either way, because, yes, individuals are allowed to fund their campaigns, but they have to disclose that they are doing it, how much they're doing it for, and where the money went. and the reason the law exists is so the public knows how the money is spent. don't you think on the eve of the election, when these transactions were taking place, that the public would have been interested that $280,000 was going to silence two women that the president -- >> i do think that that would have been a fundamental piece of information. >> don't you think the public -- >> i think the public would like to know that. >> and the reason they covered it up is because they didn't want the public to know that, and that's why it's a crime.
4:15 am
>> and that's what michael cohen has testified to -- >> pleaded guilty to, yes. so it's up with thing to argue that a charged crime is not a crime. but when you have a sophisticated defendant with sophisticated -- >> who's a lawyer. >> who is himself a lawyer, pleading guilty, it's really, i think, a tough -- a tough argument that it is not a crime. >> i agree with that. i agree with that. but that is what we heard. matt schlapp, we heard it start -- we heard it bubble up yesterday at probably 8:00 a.m. and we were surprised to hear that, but it has continued to percolate since then. >> a crime, a crime that was committed, prosecutors say, to win an election. that is what they say. susan, the president also this morning saying that the real problem is his attorney general has not stopped the prosecution of these crimes. listen. >> there's such corruption. before i got here, it's from before i got here. it's the obama administration. and you look at what happened. they surveilled my campaign.
4:16 am
it's very simple. the fisa report, the phony, fake -- >> -- signed the last fisa report. >> it's always bothered me. >> will you fire him? will you fire sessions? >> well, as i said, i wanted to stay uninvolved, but when everybody sees what's going on in the justice department -- i always put justice now with quotes, assist veit's a very, v day. >> first of all, he always puts justice in quotes because i do not think he fundamentally believes that there is such a thing as the -- >> he doesn't think there's any justice in the justice department. >> clearly, the only justice he thinks exists is his justice. but susan, how do you assess that statement? he didn't rule out firing mueller or sessions there. he also bashed sessions a whole lot. >> look, donald trump is really backed into a corner. he's been obsessing, as you know, increasingly about mueller, about the justice department. once again, you hear him attacking his own attorney general, jeff sessions by name. much more frequently than he had in recent months. he made this tweet in the middle
4:17 am
of the night overnight. all it said was no collusion, witch hunt. you know, this is a guy who despite the spin, despite the aggressive statements that he's giving in this fox interview, it seems to me that trump is sort of like richard nixon, shouting at the walls in the white house at this point. you know, he's like very, not only naive about the justice system, but basically, he doesn't seem to have much of a strategy beyond saying that crimes aren't crimes and, you know, i think that's what makes donald trump dangerous. if you look at his biography, and in the past, when he's made some of his worst mistakes is when he's been backed into a corner. that's when he was getting divorced for the second time, his business was going bankrupt. what did he do? he started making wild purchases. and so i think all of these to me are signs that we're, you know, headed toward some sort of an explosive outburst from
4:18 am
president trump, as he feels fewer and fewer options. and as his spin about these very damaging facts becomes more and more unbelievable. he's asking us, essentially, to believe that a crime is not a crime, because he says that it isn't. and even, i think, very pro-trump people may find that hard to swallow. there was just the manafort hold juror was apparently a lone woman. but the woman who came out and spoke for the manafort jury was a very pro-trump voter who said nonetheless she was persuaded by the evidence. i think that's got to be troubling for donald trump. >> that's such a great point. in fact, we just had josh dawsey on before you, susan, who had interviewed a republican donor who said, how can you spin a fact? that's what they're grappling with this morning. how are they going to spin this fact set. susan glasser, thank you very much for sharing your reporting with us. jeffrey toobin, always a pleasure. there's more and more sound coming out from the president this morning, including one bite
4:19 am
we'll get to after the break, where he does not deny that he directed michael cohen to make these payments. we'll listen to that very closely. and we'll also talk about how republicans are going to handle this situation in congress. stay with us. >> stay close, jeffrey.
4:20 am
howdoing great dad!r does this thing got? looking good babe! are you filming. at booking.com, we can't guarantee you'll be any good at that water jet thingy... but we can guarantee the best price on a hotel, like this one. or any home, boat, treehouse, yurt, whatever. get the best price on homes, hotels and so much more. booking.com, booking.yeah
4:21 am
4:22 am
4:23 am
all right. brand-new this morning, the president says that the crimes michael cohen pleaded guilty to were, quote, were not crimes. so what about the hush money payments? did the president direct michael cohen to make these payments? he was just asked that directly. listen. >> now he's saying that you directed him to make these payments. did you direct him to make these payment? >> he made the deal. he made the deals. by the way, he pled to two counts that aren't a crime, which nobody understands. i watched a number of shows, sometimes you get some pretty good information by watching shows, those two counts aren't even a crime. they weren't campaign finance. >> all right, jing oining us no mike rogers, chairman of the house intelligence committee, a former republican congressman, also a former fbi guy. i'm going to ask you to wear many hats during this brief
4:24 am
interview, mike. >> does that make me just confused, john? >> so more so than the rest of us this morning. look, the president of the united states was just asked a very direct question. did you direct michael cohen to make those payments? his answer was not "no." his answer was, he made the deals, he made the deals. you're an fbi guy. what did you hear there? >> yeah, listen, i went back and read all the john edwards trial and he was in trial for the payments to a mistress in the 2008 campaign when he was running for president. and it came back not dpguilty. i think this is going to be harder to prove for the prosecution. and listen, i believe in ta spirited defense. i think that there's a connection to the law there. i don't think this is going to be the slam dunk that people say it is. >> we can talk about that. we can talk about that. but just listening to the president answer the questions, did you direct him? he did not say no. >> yeah, here's my thing,
4:25 am
though. let's just back it up for a minute, if you're an investigator and you're trying to prove this in the court of law. and as we have seen, one juror, one juror makes the difference in this. which i think is why you see such a spirited public framing of what he thinks the law is or isn't in this particular case. but if you look back at this, let's say the president did. let's say the president called up and said, i'm going to cut a check for this event. personal use money is not considered campaign money. they'd have to tie this in -- i think it's a loose notion to say that this helped me get elected to president. would it have been damaging? i think it would have absolutely been damaging. >> it may be a hard case to make. it may be a hard case to make. federal prosecutors are not making the case against the president. why? we don't know. a big reason may be because they believe that you cannot indict a sitting president, so it's not worth the energy to lay that case out. however, they appear to have a very solid case that michael cohen says is true.
4:26 am
they list out the evidence that they have here. david pecker, according to the "wall street journal," is also testifying to federal prosecutors that the president knew about all of this. i do want to move on to the discussion. still wearing your fbi hat, the president very critical of michael cohen, not for breaking the law. doesn't seem to have a problem with the idea that moen moichaen pleaded guilty to many crimes, or paul manafort, for that matter. his real issue is with flipping. >> it's called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal. you get ten years in jail, but if you say bad things about somebody, in other words, make up stories if you don't know, make up -- they just make up lies. alan dershowitz said compose, right? they make up lies -- i've seen it many times. they make up things and now they go from ten years to they're a national hero. they have a statue erected in their honor. it's not a fair thing. but that's why he did it. he made a very good deal. >> should flipping be a crime? >> cooperating witnesses are
4:27 am
cornerstone of justice. and, listen, this happens all the time. i always believed once these folks were facing the full weight of the responsibility of their criminal actions, all of them, manafort, others, that they're going to start thinking, hey, i'm not going to go to jail for 60 or 70 years or whatever the charges are. i'm going to try to cut a better deal here. cohen had that written all over him right up-front. and again, it's the cornerstone of our justice system, to say that that should be illegal is, that's fundamentally not understanding how justice is brought about here in the united states. >> it may be beyond not understanding. it may be, as i said, disdaining. it may be actively, aggressively not liking the way that justice is done. it sounds, as many have noted this morning, it sounds like something you might hear from a mob boss. the problem isn't the crime, it's those who call out the crime. >> john, can i just say one thing. in every courtroom in america today, in that spirited defense,
4:28 am
which i do believe in in the united states, they are attacking cooperating witnesses. the defense is going after their credibility. and a little bit of that is what you see the president doing now. i'm going to try to taint that person's credibility, so that when they testify -- remember, he did the same thing with gates, as they were going into the manafort trial. and certainly, that's what the manafort lawyers were trying to do. that's all legitimate. >> it is. >> and there are questions about michael cohen's credibility. >> but saying it should be illegal, that's a different matter. >> put on your former republican congressman hat right now. tom cole, who is a sharp, sharp campaign-savvy republican congressman, a former political operative, he is warning republicans, be careful defending the president here. he's saying, where there's smoke and there's a lot of smoke, there may well be fire. anybody who says this is not disturbing is not being honest. he goes on to warn democrats in swing districts here, look, don't rush to defense the president here, because in two months' time, there may be more stuff that comes out that you
4:29 am
may have an impossible time defending. >> i always believe you'll do well in politics by just listening to what your mother says growing up, birds of a feather stick torgether. and i think this is starting to be a real and significant problem for the defendant. everybody around him that he brought in and was close to him is having legal problems. now, i think the cases that have been brought were pre-presidency. so i think this talk of impeachment is too soon. i think that it does speak to the character of how you conduct yourself, both in business and maybe even in politics. and that presents a huge problem. >> and as president. >> absolutely. >> and again, when you look also beyond the president, duncan hunter. charges now against duncan hunter for using his campaign fund to buy clothes, to do things for his pets, steelers tickets, it goes on and on. chris collins, by the way, these are the first two members of congress that endorsed president trump. but you were there in 2006, when there was a wave against republicans. some of that had to do with
4:30 am
perceived corruption against members. >> there was a whole host of other problems that i think republicans had in 2006. and i think the biggest part of that candidly was the war effort. i think nancy pelosi did a brilliant strategy about coming in and saying everybody is corrupt, everybody here, and we're going to change it. i thought it was a brilliant tactical and strategy. i don't think that works here. i think most americans who voted for donald trump, it's already baked in. they realize that, listen, this is not the greatest guy in the world. he's a bit of a cad, but i want him to shake up washington. and the economy is good. and when you look back at -- when you look at bill clinton, who went through an impeachment, the economy was better than -- and i think his party sustained a little better than they are. i think that's what it's going to come down to. i do think that this starts to become a growing problem and the problem is the president himself, he just can't stop talking about things he should be talking about. >> mike rogers, great to have you with us. thanks so much. >> thanks. >> alisyn?
4:31 am
well, the murder of mollie tibbetts has become a political talking about for the white house about illegal immigration. how does her family feel about that? (vo) love. i got it. i gotcha baby. (vo) it's being there when you're needed most. he's the one. (vo love is knowing... it was meant to be. and love always keeps you safe. (vo) love is why we built a car you can trust for a long time. the all-new subaru impreza sedan and five-door. a car you can love no matter what road you're on. the subaru impreza. more than a car, it's a subaru. right now, get 0% apr financing on the 2018 subaru impreza. here's a trip tip: when you search hotels on tripadvisor... enter your destination and the dates of your stay. tripadvisor searches over 200 booking sites... to find the best deal on the right hotel for you. tripadvisor. only remfresh uses keep 1 in ion-powered melatonin to deliver up to 7 hours of sleep support. number 1 sleep doctor recommended remfresh --
4:32 am
your nightly sleep companion. available in the natural sleep section at walmart.
4:33 am
4:34 am
4:35 am
hundreds of calls are flooding a pennsylvania clergy abuse hotline after a grand jury report detailed a decades-long cover-up of sexual abuse involving more than 1,000 children abused by more than 300 predator priests in pennsylvania. cnn's erica hill spoke with some of the abuse survivors and she's here with their stories. these are incredible stories, erica. >> they are. that grand jury report, one of the survivors said to me, if you were to buy this, you would have to buy it in an adult bookstore because of how graphic it is. and she's right. i sat down with four survivors and the parent of another victim. they are angry, numb, and empowered by the support they've received and by the strength of each other. and they're also demanding action. >> i would get high before i would have to serve mass so i could separate myself from what was about to happen to me. and i was in charge of the altar boys, i had to make the schedule.
4:36 am
i would schedule myself so others didn't have to take it. i did -- i did it so that other people didn't have to take it. because i knew i was stronger. and i knew i could disconnect. >> my abuser used to say mass in our kitchen. >> in your kitchen. >> in our kitchen, where we grew up. in our kitchen. i was abused for 20 years and you ask how i separated the two. i split. i had one of me that handled the abuse and the other one was just myself. >> arthur, you're here to speak for your son, who's no longer with us. but you can continue to give him a voice. >> what kind of a parent would i be if i didn't continue my struggle and fight for my son? what kind of a person, i mean, any human being, would even think about molesting a child,
4:37 am
let alone somebody who claims to be a representative of god? and these are the kind of people that the catholic church wants to represent them in the community? spiritual incest, soul murder, that's what i see. >> psychological abuse, emotional abuse. physical. >> but all of these different abuses that we've gone through, they stay with us. we -- we continually think about it and re-abuse oursel in silence. >> why do you think this is such a problem in the catholic church? it's not just pennsylvania, it's not just the united states. >> i thi it's gone on because it was allowed to go on. they knew -- these guys knew they were going to be covered for it. they knew they were going to be moved. they did it because they could. >> is there anything that the catholic church could do to regain your trust? >> no. >> not to them. >> not today.
4:38 am
>> no. >> are any of you -- do you still consider yourselves catholic? >> oh, i'm catholic. >> no. >> i go straight to god. >> i'm not -- well, i -- look, my grandparents were from italy. i didn't have a choice p. >> it's in the dna. catholicism is in the dna for some of us. >> the jesus that i learned about in school would not turn his back on children, not once. >> everything they taught is a lie. i mean, there's no other word. there's no other word. so am i catholic? yes, i'm catholic, but do i believe anything? not anymore. >> would anything feel like justice for any of you at this point? >> my day in court. >> yeah. >> my day in court. when we have, just like what everybody else is supposed to get. and it's not about money. it's not about the money. i don't care about money. i never did this for money. i want my day in court. i want justice.
4:39 am
>> there's only one remedy for this, and that's to eliminate the statute of limitations and enact a survivor window. that's the only remedy. prayers -- prayers are what got us into this mess. >> if you had an audience with the pope, if you could sit down with him and speak to him face to face, what would you say? >> i would say you need to clean up your act. you need to get your church in order. you need to take all of those priests that have been abusing children and put them in jail. >> the way i feel now, prayers, penance, fasting, they're all words. i need action. >> they're not listening to us. he is not listening to us. so i think if pope francis wanted to do something, maybe that would be a good place to start. >> i would tell the pope, make jesus proud of you and stop protecting the enablers and
4:40 am
abusers. >> and take these people out of ministry. make an example out of them. >> people ask if i will ever get passed this. i say "no." there are things, there are signs every single day that remind me of my abuse. so, no, this is until the end of my life, i will always think about this. >> this family is growing, and it's growing fast. and it's going to be an army. and we're not going to stop. we're going to keep adding to it. and we're enjoying to -- we're going to force the church to change. >> and i know this, that you can't buy salvation. you've got to earn it. >> sharon tell and julian bortz suffered their abuse in the allentown diocese, who sent us this statement, calling the abuse devastating and tragic for victims and survivors and also asking for their forgiveness.
4:41 am
the other diocese where these victims' abuses occurred did not respond to our request for statements. >> so devastating. i'm so clohoked up, they'll car it forever and they want justice. >> and why is it so hard to give people justice? they bring it back to that every time. there's so much to each one of their stories. look at sharon tell, for example, her abuser, 20 years, he officiated her wedding and baptized her three children. >> that's how interwoven the church is in so many of these families' stories that we've read about it. it's just -- it was with them since childhood. >> how about that message from that one guy, telling the pope, make jesus proud of you. telling the pope -- >> he also said, he wants to hear the pope's confession. >> whoo. doesn't go away. the pain doesn't go away. erica hill, that was terrific. thanks so much. >> thanks, guys. hundreds gathering last night at a vigil remembering mollie tibbetts after authorities found a body believed to be that of the missing iowa college student. an undocumented immigrant has been charged with her murder.
4:42 am
cnn's diane gallagher live in iowa city with the very latest. diane? >> reporter: you know, john, mollie tibbetts should have been starting her second year here at the university of iowa. we're told that she had so many credits, she worked so hard, that she actually would have been going in as a junior. and the people who spoke last night at this memorial had nothing but those kind of things to say about mollie. she was dedicated, she was passion that the. now, in their future, they're going to be thinking about court dates and planning her funeral. now, the man accused of killing the 20-year-old student, cristhian rivera appeared in court yesterday for the first time. he is chandlrged in her murder, million bond. and a lot of attention has been paid to his immigration status. that he is undocumented. he worked for four years at a dairy farm that's owned by a prominent republican here in iowa. they say the man that appeared in court was not the man they hired, he used a different name
4:43 am
with an out of state i.d. and a different social security that had checked out on a social security verification program. they didn't use e-verify, but it's been picked up by politicians across the country, using it to forward the debate about immigration in this country, including the president of the united states, who used it for political purposes, saying we should put more republicans in office and build a wall. well, mollie tibbetts' friends said that that is the exact opposite of what their friend would want to be used for. >> it makes me feel distraught, because i don't want her death to become a political status. i don't want her death to be used as propaganda. i don't want her death to be used for more prejudice and for more discrimination and i don't think she would want that either. >> now, bahena rivera will appear in court next on august 31st.
4:44 am
alisyn? >> diane, thank you very much for that update. now to this story. ohio state's head football coach and how he is handling the allegations of spousal abuse involving an assistant coach. did the school go far enough in punishing him? there's a lot of outcry today. . like those from buddy. because stuffed animals are clearly no substitute for real ones. feel the clarity. and live claritin clear.
4:45 am
4:46 am
4:47 am
i'm a small business, but i have... big dreams... and big plans. so how do i make the efforts of 8 employees... feel like 50? how can i share new plans virtually? how can i download an e-file? virtual tours? zip-file? really big files? in seconds, not minutes... just like that. like everything... the answer is simple. i'll do what i've always done... dream more, dream faster, and above all... now, i'll dream gig. now more businesses, in more places, can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network. my heart, not my head. i fell short pursuing full
4:48 am
information, because at each juncture, i gave zack smith the benefit of the doubt. >> that was hot state football coach urban meyer apologizing to fans, but not the victim of spousal abuse. meyer is suspended for three games without pay for his response or lack thereof to the spousal abuse accusations involving his assistant coach in 2015. meyer had denied knowing about those accusations until last month. joining us now is cnn sports analyst, christine brennan, she is a sports columnist for "usa today." christine, great to have you here. you say this three-game suspension for urban meyer is, quote, an embarrassment. why is that? >> absolutely, alisyn. in fact, when you read the report, which i had not read when i wrote that column, obviously, because everything was happening quickly last night, you read the report, and it's amazing that urban meyer, an employee of a state, publicly-funded university kept his job. it's just stunning. basically sounds like he destroyed text messages when a freedom of information request
4:49 am
was being made by the student newspaper. all of a sudden, all the text messages are gone, except for the last year, he asked about that. obviously, knowledge about the behavior of his assistant coach, who he kept on, even though he knew from 2009 that zack smith, the assistant coach, was involved with alleged domestic violence. nine police reports against this man and urban meyer kept him man and urban meyer kept him out. and then the fact that he could not mention the victim's name, courtney smith, he was asked specifically about her, said he felt sorry for everyone involved. just an incredibly poor performance, alisyn, by a man in 2018 who should know better and be very lucky today he kept his job. >> let's play that moment that you and so many people felt was really insensitive in terms of his response in terms of who he should apologize to you. >> what message do you have for
4:50 am
courtney smith? >> well, i have a message for everyone involved in this, i'm sorry we're in this situation. i'm just sorry we here in this situation. >> he's sorry they're in this situation as though he has no culpability. >> he has a lot of culpability. he's the man in charge. urban mier is one of the most sanctimonius people in sports. he has said with college basketball coaches if they used an illegal second cell phone to make phone calls to recruits that they should be fired. he has never shied away from giving his opinion about harsh punishment for others and then he accepted this leniency, really, three games. he'll be back for the bulk of the big ten season as if nothing ever happened. i think he's a lessened man, he's a weakened man. when you walk into the ohio state practice facility there's the words "honesty and respect for women." they might as well paint over those today because ohio state, the urban meyer they have no
4:51 am
credibility in those areas. >> we have to go but one more point. he makes $5.28 million a year and it just tells you about thethe osu football culture that they want to keep him on after everything you outlined. thank you. >> thank you. how do the trump white house's legal problems compare with other administrations? a cnn reality check next. what's the hesitation? eh, it just feels too complicated, you know? well sure, at first, but jj can help you with that. jj, will you break it down for this gentleman? hey, ian. you know, at td ameritrade, we can walk you through your options trades step by step until you're comfortable. i could be up for that. that's taking options trading from wall st. to main st. hey guys, wanna play some pool? eh, i'm not really a pool guy. what's the hesitation? it's just complicated. step-by-step options trading support from td ameritrade
4:52 am
whoooo. tripadvisor makes finding your perfect hotel... relaxing. just enter your destination and dates. tripadvisor searches over 200 booking sites to find the hotel you want for the lowest price. dates. deals. done! tripadvisor. olay total effects. the power of 7 benefits all in one bottle. without costing $100, $200 or $400. enriched with vitamin b3 complex, for beautiful skin. olay.
4:53 am
you always get the lowest price on our rooms, guaranteed?m let's get someone to say it with a really low voice. carl? lowest price guaranteed. what about the world's lowest limbo stick? how low can you go? nice one, carl. hey i've got an idea. just say, badda book. badda boom. badda book. badda boom. nice. always the lowest price, guaranteed. book now at choicehotels.com
4:54 am
sharper vision, without limits. days that go from sun up to sun down.
4:55 am
a whole world in all its beauty. three innovative technologies for our ultimate in vision, clarity, and protection. together in a single lens. essilor ultimate lens package. purchase the essilor ultimate lens package and get a second pair of qualifying lenses free. essilor. better sight. better life. time for a cnn reality check. legal issues are swirling around the trump white house. >> you don't say? >> you may have heard that from us. but is that different from any other administration? cnn's senior political analyst john avlon here with a reality check. john? >> oh, yes, we could use one. remember this, guys? >> we need to drain the swamp. [ cheers and applause ] >> drain the swamp. one of the trump campaign's
4:56 am
chief rallying cries along with "lock her up." 19 months into the trump administration, things seem swampier than ever. the president's former campaign chairman paul manafort and his personal lawyer michael cohen both convicted. his first national security adviser michael flynn pled guilty to lying to the fbi. so did foreign policy adviser george papadopoulos whose bragging about dirt on hillary clinton kicked off the investigation and rick gates. with that crew, trump is on a path of being a class of his own potentially rivaling richard nixon. let me explain. only one person in the obama administration pled guilty to a crime and it was a misdemeanor. then-cia director david petraeus who pled guilty to removing classified information in connection with an affair. george w. bush, eight members of his administration got caught up in the jack abramoff lobbying scandals. there were 21 guilty pleas and ten prison sentences including scooter libby who was later pardoned by president trump.
4:57 am
bill clinton's administration was definitely beset by self-inflicted scandal, but in terms of actual convictions, there were two, former hud secretary henry sis narrow police guilty to a misdemeanor for lying about investigators to payments to a former mistress and the chief of staff in the agriculture department scooped up into the investigation about mike espy. espy was acquitted on all counts and is running for senate in mississippi. bush 41, only one conviction but it was the u.s. treasurer on charges of tax evasion, obstruction and making false statements. it might surprise some of reagan's acolytes that his administration saw a whopping 24 convictions and guilty pleas largely related to the iran-contra scandal. some were safe from jail time thanks to pardons from bush 41 who thought the investigation was politically motivated. jimmy carter and gerald ford saw one term and no criminal convictions during their terms. where brings us to richard nixon and watergate. major players were convicted including the white house chief of staff and the former attorney
4:58 am
general who served as campaign chairman. not only that, spiro agnew resigned in disgrace for accepting bribes. in all, dozens of nixon administration and campaign aides were convicted and at least ten major figures served jail time. nixon, of course, was pardoned by his successor, gerald ford. all this is a reminder that every administration has its scandals and bad apples but it reveals that not every administration is the same when it comes to what donald trump once called "a culture of government corruption." less than two years into his administration, trump may be on pace to equal or exceed the number set by his swampiest predecessor, richard nixon, that's your reality check. >> may get tired of winning when it comes to that race. >> not a race you want to win. >> thank you for the reality check, john. >> absolutely. a whole lot of news. some new statements by the president we have to dive into. let's get to it. >> it's called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal.
4:59 am
>> he wants to turn his life into television. >> failing to report a lawful contribution is the political equivalent of jaywalking. >> we've heard every story known to mankind from donald trump. >> the democrats are getting a compelling message now about a culture of corruption. that's a powerful weapon. >> let the mueller investigation take its course. the second manafort trial could be instructive. >> the manafort case doesn't have anything to do with the president. >> if he starts saying if you're associated with me and you're a criminal you're okay, that is gangsterism. >> announcer: this is "new day" with alisyn camerota and john berman. >> welcome to your new day. it's thursday, august 23, 8:00 in the east. the president lashing out at the criminal justice system, laughilaugh i -- lavishing praise on convicted felons and fighting back in a new interview after michael cohen said under oath that the president directed him to break the law to make hush
5:00 am
money payments in order to help win the 2016 election. the president falsely claims there is no campaign finance cri crime. the real crime, the president says, is this. >> it's called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal. you get ten years in jail but if you say bad things about somebody, in other words make up stories if you don't know, they just make up lies. alan dershowitz said compose, right? they make up lies. i've seen it many times. they make up things and go from ten years to they're a national hero. they have a statue erected in their honormenthonorment. it's not a fair thing. >> so the crime is not the crime, but flipping is the crime. >> should be the crime. >> president trump was directly asked if he ordered michael cohen to make the hush money

49 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on