Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Ana Cabrera  CNN  November 3, 2018 1:00pm-2:00pm PDT

1:00 pm
we're live in the cnn newsroom. on this saturday we are now three days until the midterms, and what some are calling the biggest referendum on a president in recent memory. president trump is certainly campaigning like he feels the pressure holding rally in states where midterm -- he amplified his midterm -- and he is immediately headed a second stop in florida tonight. this as voters across the u.s. have just been swarming the early vote locations. more than 27 million early ballots have been cast as of yesterday evening. that number still going up. already eclipsing early votes for a presidential are -- on his closing pitch to voters. >> president rallies supporters in montana speaking for more than an hour, going after
1:01 pm
specifically democratic senator john tester. that is why the president is here. it is why he has come to montana four times since july. the race is personal with senator tester. he also talked about immigration, repeatedly talking about the caravan at the border saying it's an urgent crisis. >> it'sto sign illegal immigranp for free education, free welfare, and what do they really want? the right to vote because they figure that's the way they stay in office forever. it is the second caravan, which is made up of some very tough, young people. very tough. criminals in some cases. in many cases. they'll say do you have proof? yeah, i have proof. they threw stones in the police's face. they hurt mexican police. they hurt mexican military very badly. they broke through. you saw it.
1:02 pm
it was on television. it was terrible. mexico is trying. they are trying, but we're different. we more than try. we have our military now on the border. i noticed all that beautiful barbed wire going up today. barbed wire used properly can be a beautiful sight. >> the applause lines -- the applause on the immigration lines, though, not as loud as we've heard at other rallies in other parts of the country. the question here in the final three days, will this race turn on national issues like immigration, or will it turn on more local issues like access to health care, access to public lands? president trump made clear his fight against john tester is a vengeance that's a personal one. the question is, though, will montanans support someone that they have for 12 years. he is running for a third term in the senate. or will they side with president
1:03 pm
trump's candidate, matt rosendale. the president leaving montana and will be heading to florida for a campaign rally in pensacola tonight. anna. >> jeb zellany, thank you. joining us now, we head to florida where the president is headed, and republican congressman matt gates, of florida state, the president, again, will have a rally at later on tonight at 7:30 eastern time. congressman, even though the president has been on this campaign blitz, he has conceded in the last 24 hours that not everything may go republican's way on tuesday, especially when it comes to the house. let's listen. they will try to erase our gains and eradicate our progress. they're going to work hard, and we will be fighting, oh. it will be ridiculous, frankly. it will be bad for our country. the democrats and it could happen. could happen. we're doing very well, and very well in the senate. could happen. you know what you do?
1:04 pm
my whole life, you know what i say? don't worry about it. i'll just figure it out. congressman as a member of the house yourself, what's your reaction? >> well, i'm glad the president is campaigning so hard. he is our party's best messenger, and i can't imagine another time where a president has done more in a midterm election to really get out into the country and drive that message. here in florida we need the president. we need him to turn out the nearly one million floridaians who vote for him in 2016 and have never voted in another midterm. anna, we see a blue wave happening in florida in terms of turnout and participation with the coalitions, the democrats need to win. minorities and millenials. in particular they're turning out well. there is a corresponding red waive that is just as tall, and the president has been helpful right now. we're over 50,000 votes ahead in
1:05 pm
terms of republican ballots cast in the sunshine state. i think we're up for one of the most exciting midterms in recent memory. >> he says it's not as exciting to talk about that. instead he has been making the highly controversial remarks as a caravan coming to innovate the country. why go negative. why not stay positive? agencies that work with people instead of against them, and the result has been historic improvement in the u.s. economy. >> but the president himself says the economy isn't as exciting to talk about, and he is focused so much of his message on this immigration divisive message rhetoric that we've been hearing. >> i was with the president on
1:06 pm
air force one just days ago. he was very excited about the economy, but that doesn't mean we take our eye off the ball when it comes to border security. these caravans, this porous border, it does represent a threat to the people in the united states, and if they don't go out and vote for republicans, the democratic party has now embraced abolishing ice, open borders, and i think this that should scare people. it's okay to tell people that there are bad folks that want to get across our border illegally and that we need to do the things to stop them. >> you talk about scaring people. it does seem like that is the intent. even fox news has pushed back on that fear that the president has drummed up over the caravan. here he is. >> when they did this to us, got us all riled up in april, the result was 14 arrests. we're america. we can handle it.
1:07 pm
>> is he wrong? >> i think he is. shep smith doesn't get the same intelligence briefings that i do, and there are special interest aliens who at times take advantage of the porous border. we have seen circumstances where africans, middle easterners who we have been paying close attention to as a consequence of some of the training that they've been involved inty do think that's important for us. >> we don't know. we haven't seen the evidence of these people. you talk about your intelligence briefing. i'll give you that. you guys are talking about an invasion. do invaders really give you three months notice that they're coming. >> i don't want them moving into subdivisions in my congressional district.
1:08 pm
>> i have to stop you there, though. we have had reporters talking with a lot of these people who are coming as part of this caravan. a lot of them -- you know that this is true -- are mothers and children and families who are fleeing persecution or fleeing violence or fleeing poverty in their home countries. >> i don't have to win the argument that everybody in the caravan is dangerous. i just have to win the argument that somebody in the caravan is dangerous or could be dangerous because if they are coming here to do harm to americans, i don't care if it's one of them, ten of them, or 1,000 of them, i don't want to come here -- them coming here disrespecting our borders. if people go for democrats, we're going to have open borders. there's going to be an attack on ice, and you are going to really see a change in the country that is unsafe for people, and that's why we're fighting hard to get every person out to vote.
1:09 pm
>> there was outrage over that ad the president tweeted out, blaming democrats for an undocumented immigrant who had killed a couple of police officers previously in 2014. critics have called this the most racially charged campaign commercial since the infamous 1988 willie horton ad. jeff flake tweeting, "this is a sickening ad. republicans everywhere should denounce it." do you denounce it? >> absolutely not. that doesn't blame democrats for that individual. it highlights his story. trr people that we have to be able to stop at the border and we have to be able to be sure we repatat -- >> did you know the facts are he came back big during the bush administration. it wasn't during the democratic administration. >> the democrats would keep him here. that's the problem. >> no, it was joe arrpajo who
1:10 pm
arrested him and he was released under the -- >> good for joe arpajo. >> he was a very big trump supporter and vice versa. he is not a democrat. >> joe arrpajo doesn't have the constitutional authority to repatat that individual. it's to establish barriers in central and south america, dictate what ai will so up claims are legitimate, and if there is asylum that can be appropriated, that would be lawful and according to a -- not the total abandonment of borders. i'm glad the president is running that ad because it shows people what's at stake in this election. >> do you feel the same way about ceasar sayak, somebody who, again, is one man who has done something very dangerous, very heinous in many cases with trying to send pipe bombs around the country. he was a trump supporter. he was in a trump rally. >> days before -- yeah, look, we have people that support
1:11 pm
republicans and democrats that engage in horrible political violence, and i denounce all of it. we're going to fight with our words and our ideas. not by hurting people, and anyone who takes what i say or what the president says as a license to go and hurt folks, you are not hearing us. we want to win because our ideas are better and because we can improve people's lives, and whether it's on the right or the left, we all need to speak out against political violence. >> amen to that. congressman matt gates, thank you very much for joining us. >> thank you, anna. >> up next, we talk to a democrat in florida in a highly competitive house race being watched around the country. one hitting a cuban-american republican against a democrat born in ecuadoecuador. robert mueller investigating threatening messages from a trump ally to a key witness. we've got them and we'll read them to you. plus, new charges of repeated racism levelled against the president. the man who said he would take a bullet for trump is talking about this, but will mielk cohen have an affect on voters?
1:12 pm
♪ [laughter] possibilities. what we deliver by delivering.
1:13 pm
jbut hey, it's a fun challenge.s a challenge. and our tempur-pedic helps us make it all work. it gives us the best night's sleep ever. i recommend my tempur-pedic to everybody. the most highly recommended bed in america just got better. now more rejuvenating, more pressure-relieving than ever before. there's no better time to experience the superior sleep of tempur-pedic. save up to $500 on select adjustable mattress sets during our fall savings event. visit tempurpedic.com to find your exclusive retailer today. pai'm open to that.medicare? lower premiums? extra benefits? it's open enrollment. time to open the laptop... ...and compare medicare health plans. why? because plans change, so can your health needs. so, be open-minded. look at everything - like prescription drug plans... oh, and medicare advantage plans from private insurers. use the tools at medicare.gov or call 1-800-medicare. open to something better? start today. open enrollment ends december 7th.
1:14 pm
thiuninterrupted streaminglogy brilliant sound clarity and life-like color. experience dell cinema on the xps 13. get up to $200 off select xps 13 laptops at dell.com (intel chime) billions of problems. morning breath? garlic breath? stinky breath? there's a therabreath for you. therabreath fresh breath oral rinse instantly fights all types of bad breath and works for 24 hours. so you can... breathe easy. there's therabreath at walmart.
1:15 pm
1:16 pm
skbrienchts florida, no surprise a state to watch. it could be a microcosm in a key house race we're keeping an eye on tuesday. florida's 26 congressional district, that's in south florida, and a republican holds the state currently. the latest polling shows this has become a toss-up. look at this. in a "new york times" poll conducted october 19 to october 24th, the democrat in this race holds a slim one-point lead. she's joining us now. her opponent carlos curbelo will be joining us tomorrow afternoon. debbie, thanks for being with us. >> thank you so much for having me. >> we know you're a first generation american born in ecuador, and i want you to listen to the president speaking on immigration.
1:17 pm
>> democrats want open borders, and they want to invite caravan after caravan into country, which brings crime upon crime. >> what's your response to that? >> anna, as you know, i'm an immigrant myself. i came here when i was 14. started working at a minimum wage job at the age of 15 with my sisters and my mother. we've worked very hard. the opportunities that have brought me to where i am today are the opportunities that bring so many people to this incredible country. it's what makes us strong, the diversity in my community is what makes us also very united. i can tell you that the president and the republican party, they are actually desperate. they're desperate tactics, they're trying to distract because they don't want to talk about the very important issue that people care about, which is that they're sabotaging their health care, that they're trying to take away protections for people living with preexisting
1:18 pm
conditions. 300,000 right here in district 26. carlos curbello voted to repeal the affordable care act where, in a district where we have the second largest number of people that get their health care through the aca, the environment. we've seen those horrible toxic blue algae bloom that is are infesting our wartways. and gun reform. look at what happened in tallahassee. why is the president not talking about that? >> i know. >> did z it feel like your -- but a race against the president of the united states? >> well, anna, i can tell you that i've been focussing solely on the families that are living
1:19 pm
in my community because what's important to them, i think, is important to families across the united states, and these fear tactics, the attacks on immigrants, we are nurses. we are teachers. i became the associate dean at the fiu medical school working to expand health care reform. that's who we are. we want to contribute to the economy. we're hard-working people. it's insulting, really, for him to continue to try to distract attacking us, which is exactly what he ran on, and that's why he is trying to use it in this election. i want to remind something. curbello is no moderate. he has been voting with trump 85% of the time. when he distances himself, he goes back to washington d.c. and votes straight with the most extreme republicans, especially on immigration. he has caved into his party. he voted for a tax bill that gives $1.9 trillion cuts to the wealthiest americans. not helping the hard-working families in my district.
1:20 pm
>> he will be on our shows tomorrow. i want you to listen to what he said earlier this week here on cnn about the president's plan for sending as many as 15,000 troops to the border. listen. >> okay. >> that's clearly an overreaction. while i this i some on the far right and the president himself are trying to draw a lot of attention to this issue of this caravan, i think also reasonable people can say we should have a border that -- >> do you differ from congressman when when it comes to immigration? >> let me tell you one thing, anna. i want to make something very clear, also, because i have heard a lot on the news that democrats are not in favor of strong borders. i think that having strong border security is incredibly important. i think the safety of the american families is our
1:21 pm
priority. i just want to remind you, and maybe you can ask him because if he thinks it's not a good idea, if the congressman is saying this, what is he going to do about it? he has a republican majority right now in congress, and i haven't seen any sort of discussion, debate, or legislation come to the floor to stop the president from doing this. >> why is the race as close as it is right now? >> well, you know, it's taken me a long time to get to this point because no one really knew who i was. i've been working in this community for about 20 years, and we started sending our message loud and clear starting back in august, slowly people have gotten to know many he, and the excitement is there. we're seeing a lot of people coming out and voting. i was actually just knocking on doors today. we've been on a lot of the voting sites, and i have actually even heard republicans come and tell me that they came out this time for the first time in their life. a 90-year-old woman came to me
1:22 pm
two days ago and said i have never voted democrat. i came out just to vote for you in this election cycle. it's really exciting, but i don't want anyone to relax. we have voting today, early voting tomorrow, and then tuesday. please don't stay home. a lot of what we need is at stake in this election. i want us to show america because i know everybody is watching that florida is ready, and we are going to stand up to the president and we are going to stand strong, and we won't let hatred divide us any more. >> it's a prime example of why every vote counts. this is an rxbar interruption to your favorite tv show. it's over now.
1:23 pm
[door closing] for everything that i give, i get so much in return. join our family of home instead caregivers and help make a world of difference. home instead senior care. apply today.
1:24 pm
1:25 pm
home instead senior care. here are the facts.leading attacks against prop c. the city's chief economist says prop c will "reduce homelessness" by creating affordable housing, expanding mental-health services,
1:26 pm
and providing clean restrooms and safe shelters with independent oversight, open books, and strict accountability measures to make sure every penny goes to solving our homeless crisis. vote yes on c. endorsed by the democratic party, nancy pelosi, and dianne feinstein.
1:27 pm
>> robert mueller is looking at seemingly -- roger stone sent to a witness in the russia investigation. stone swapped texts and emails with randy. now, cledico is a radio host and activist here in new york. stone once claimed credico was his back channel to wiki-leaks. this has been denied. here are some of the texts, and one of them stone says that he should tell mueller to go f himself. in a series of emails, stone seems to threaten credico's of -- this was just some trash
1:28 pm
talk between long-time friends. >> you take three midwest text messages out of thousands that really shows no context. these are the late night ravings between two grumpy old men who have been friends for almost 20 years. chris, they are friendly. they are vulgar. they are vicious. they are nasty. they're ribald, but they're not serious. therefore, they would have to be seen in context. for example, you don't see the texts where you tells me that i should be willing to go to jail rather than reveal his identity as my source. you don't see the text where he says that my apartment is likely wired by the fbi. you don't see the text where i urge him repeatedly to tell the truth. >> roger, please, offer up the text. i'm happy to take them. >> you can -- i'm happy to have all of them. >> you can cherry pick these, but it creates a misimpression.
1:29 pm
>> joining us now sabrina sadiki, politics reporter from "the guardian" and michael sheer, cnn analyst and white house correspondent for the "new york times." michael, how significant is this stone development? >> well, look, it fits in with the rest of the stone dilemma for bob mueller, which is trying to figure out whether and how to take roger stone seriously. the question even more fundamentally than this exchange that you played is the question of whether or not roger stone is truly indicative of collusion in with russians in the trump campaign. was roger stone really a kind of early warning system for what the russians were going to release through wiki-leaks, or was he just a boastful guy who was sort of pretending that he knew more about what was going to happen with wiki-leaks than really he did know. that's what mueller is trying to figure out, and the exchange you
1:30 pm
played is another example of this. we just don't know. as stone himself just said in that interview, how seriously to take him. >> the fact that roger stone was essentially saying do not cooperate with mueller and making what appear to be threats, that could be seen by mueller as potentially witness tampering and possible obstruction of justice. one of the things about stone is that although he didn't play a formal role in the later stage of the trump campaign, he is in many ways donald trump's longest serving political advisor. he has had the president's ear
1:31 pm
for several years now. did he serve as some kind of conduit between the trump campaign and moscow, and, two, what, if anything, did he tell people on the trump campaign including then candidate trump himself? >> then was there actual coordination in terms of disseminating a stolen e-mail. >> another person who was also close to the president who has been talking to mueller is michael cohen. he has made headlines again telling "vanity fair" that the president has this racist language in several private conversations with him. for example, coin says they were discussing turnout for one of trump's 2016 campaign rallies, and i told trump that the rally looked vanilla on television. trump responded. that's because black people are too stupid to vote for me. then there's this. he says after nelson mandela died, trump said name one country run by a black person where that's not an s-hole. name one city. we all know cohen isn't exactly the epitome of truthfulness. what's your take on cohen's credibility here? >> well, i mean, i think cohen
1:32 pm
has a lot of credibility problems, you know, and people have to assess whether these comments are part of a kind of retribution or revenge that he is taking against donald trump because that has gone sour. i think the most amazing thing here is that these comments, which are really incredible when lodged against a president really don't shock us because they're not the first time that these very kinds of charges have been made against this president. we talked about the president in a sort of racist rant in the oval office talking about how all haitians have aids and that nigerians didn't want to go back to their huts in africa. just a few months later after that there was another racist rant in the oval office with lawmakers in which he talked about african countries and called them s-hole countries. same word that michael cohen suggests he used. i mean, what is really remarkable here is that it all fits into a pattern that really doesn't shock us anymore because
1:33 pm
we've seen it so often with this president. >> sabrina, michael brings up a really interesting point. you have the president at rallies making remarks that some consider racist. on twitter as well putting out controversial comments. i mean, do you agree that it's maybe not even shocking anymore? >> frankly, we come back to this conversation time and again where it's not just in private where we hear reports about what the president has said. he is someone who launched his candidate declaring that the majority of the people crossing the border are rapists and criminals. he said islam hates us. of course, there are comments that he has made about black candidates leading up to the midterms, including andrew gill ham calling him a thief, saying stacy abrams in georgia was not at all qualified when she was a house minority leader, and clearly is he had the qualifications even if they have policy differences. i don't think it's very surprising, but michael cohen chose to work for donald trump despite all these comments that he allegedly made in private
1:34 pm
and, frankly, very forcefully defended trump against allegations of racism. obviously, you have to take this with a grain of salt. he is someone facing mounting legal pressure, and he is on the sort of rehabilitation tour in the eyes of public opinion. i think what this tells us is that cohen having distanced himself so much from trump and being willing to take him on publicly, that gives us a picture of how he may be cooperating with federal authorities and that may have trump and his team very concerned. >> we only have 30 seconds, but just to follow-up on this, what is the impact of these messages? if you say it's not shocking anymore, i mean, are you saying that people just have become desensitized too and in some way he has normalized it? >> i think partly the election will help us determine how much this is impacting the public. this is sort of the public's first opportunity to register their feelings and we'll see, you know, theed president has used all this language both publicly and privately, and when voters go to the polls and they
1:35 pm
decide whether or not to endorse the president's party or not, part of their thinking is going to be do they endorse this kind of language, and i guess, you know, we'll see in a couple of days what the answer is. >> yep. thank you so much both for being here. >> sure. >> thank you. >> police in morning city have a man in custody right now. it's a hate crime arrest, and it is a sickening crime he allegedly did at a synagogue. we are live from brooklyn with the details next.
1:36 pm
parts of me i didn't even know. results revealed i find out i'm 19% native american specifically from the chihuahua people. what?! that's - i find that crazy. it traces their journey in the mid 1800s from central mexico to texas. learning about the risks they took for a better life it gives me so much respect and gratitude. this holiday, give the gift that's connected millions to a deeper family story. order your kit at ancestry.com
1:37 pm
1:38 pm
i needthat's whenvice foi remembered that my ex-ex- ex-boyfriend actually went to law school, so i called him. he didn't call me back! if your ex-ex- ex-boyfriend isn't a lawyer, call legalzoom and we'll connect you with an attorney. legalzoom. where life meets legal.
1:39 pm
1:40 pm
>> less than a week after 11 people were gunned down in pittsburgh at a synagogue, a man has been charged and arrested with hate crimes with an anti-semitic message found in a brooklyn synagogue. the graffiti was found on four floors of the union temple thursday night. these messages were written in black marker, including violent threats and hitler references. mare de blasio condemned this attack. >> we do not accept hate in any form. we will never accept anti-semitism in new york city, and we stand shoulder to shoulder with our jewish brothers and sisters in this hour of real need. >> cnn jason carol is joining us now from brooklyn. jason, what more do we know about this incident and the suspect? >> well, anna, actually, we know a great deal about the suspect. james blight, is he 26 years old. part of that is because the "new
1:41 pm
york times" just last year, last december did a profile on this young man talking about how he was in and out of homelessness, in the foster care system. also, according to the "new york time times", he was very close to former city council speaker christine quinn. in fact, he was one of her interns at a certain point. if you can imagine, anna, one of the things that he worked on while with her was on legislation dealing with hate crimes, and now he himself finds himself accused facing four counts of hate crimes, including criminal miss chef for what he allegedly did here at the temple. surveillance video caught this young man to find vial hate-nild filled messages on the walls here, including kill all jews, and a reference to hitler as well. that was canceled out of an abundance of caution. christine quinn, herself
1:42 pm
weighing in on this. she released a statement saying, in part, i know this young man, and along with many others in the new york city council and social services agencies throughout the city have done everything i could over the years to help him as he grew up in and out of the foster care system, in and out of the mental health system, and in and out of homelessness. she also went on to say regardless of what kind of tough upbringing he had, his actions were "inexcusable." the temple, while it was closed on thursday, it was open for friday services, and, again, on saturday you saw the mayor attended the services here to stand in solidarity with members of the jewish community. as for that suspect, anna, he is being -- he is in a hospital the nypd tells us being evaluated. they did not go into any more specifics about what type of evaluation he is currently undergoing. >> disturbing situation there. thank you for that reporting.
1:43 pm
we'll be right back. billions of mouths.
1:44 pm
1:45 pm
billions of problems. sore gums? bleeding gums? painful flossing? there's a therabreath for you. therabreath healthy gums oral rinse fights gingivitis and plaque and prevents gum disease for 24 hours. so you can... breathe easy, there's therabreath at walmart. first, it continues to pay paramedics while we're on break. second, it ensures the closest ambulance can respond if you call 9-1-1. vote yes on 11.
1:46 pm
1:47 pm
proposition 11 "proposition 11 is a vote to protect patient safety." it ensures the closest ambulance remains on-call during paid breaks "so that they can respond immediately when needed." vote yes on 11. zbliefrmt with dlee days to go until the midterms, the president could be bragging about the economy, he could be selling success, but instead he is selling fear, painting a doom's day scenario of the country being invaded by immigrants. >> these are tough people. these are not angels. these are not little angels. democrats want to have open borders. they want to invite caravan after caravan into our country, overwhelming your schools, your
1:48 pm
hospitals, and your communities. >> the president's rhetoric and heated immigration debate, one of the topics tonight on a brand new ax files featuring activist, politician, and, yes, immigrant arnold schwarzenegger. here's a preview. >> he wants to cut immigration in half, illegal immigration, as part of his program. you can't be enthused about that. >> i believe that we are a country that has been -- has become great because of immigration and because of immigrants that have worked re hard here and have contributed, and i'm all for people coming in here legally and working and filling the jobs. if they would create would actually expand the amount of people that come in here legally because we need them in farming. we need them in construction. we need them in the restaurants. there is a demand over there when you go south of the border here. there's a demand to come here.
1:49 pm
there's a demand over here for those people to come here. i mean, you have supply and demand. you have everything right there. >> joining us now, cnn senior political commentator and host of the ax files, david axelrod. obviously this issue, the issue of immigration, is deeply personal for schwarzeneggerr. what struck you the most from your interview? >> well, what struck me most from the interview is why he is a former republican politician and not a current republican politician in the sense that he represents a wing of the rng party that is not the dominant wing right now. the republican party is very much in the thrall of donald trump, and that is a party that's hostile to immigration, and the president is staking his midterm fortune on that very issue. >> i thought it was interesting that he was speaking from the heart, but it wasn't an argument of compassion for humanity.
1:50 pm
it was more of an argument of the value of immigrants from more of an economic impact. >> yeah. there's no question. that is the tacting that he took. he is also a big proponent of climate action, against climate change. he says the proponents have made a mistake by not fashioning it as a matter of pollution because pollution people feel in their lives. he has a very pragmatic approach as to how he makes presentations on that, but on the other score, there's no doubt that he is someone who was an immigrant to this country and has benefitted from this country. he feels strongly about the importance of immigration to people because he has lived it. >> david, this president started his political careerably pedaling the racially charged conspiracy theory that the first african-american president was born in africa. here he is. >> a lot of people feel it
1:51 pm
wasn't a proper certificate. >> his mother was a u.s. citizen born in kansas. was he a natural-born citizen? >> who knows? who knows? who cares right now? >> i hope he was born. because if he wasn't, it's the greatest scam in history. not political history. in history. >> do you feel like president trump's rhetoric about immigrants comes from that same playbook as the attacks he used on president obama? >> look, i think he views immigration as one of the major reasons that he is here. he is going to ride that horse to as far it's going to take him. he saw a huge enthusiasm gap between democrats and republicans, and he has used this issue to whip up his base and close that gap. >> this issue of race being a driver for both parties has come into play. the president himself weighed in on the word "racist." let's listen in.
1:52 pm
>> the word racist is used about every republican that's winning. any time a republican is leading, they take out the r-word, the racist word. i'm not anti-immigrant at all. >> are democrats too quick to use the racist label on republicans? >> i don't think they were too quick or not just democrats, but people generally. i'm not here as a spokesperson for the democratic party, but i would observe that people generally when you look at the commercial that the president relike i said this week, the video that he released, that was fundamentally misleading and calculated to enflame racist sentiments. you have to call it out for what it is. i mean, the president has no compunctions about pressing those buttons. that doesn't indict every republican running, although those who embrace those tactics have to wear the jacket for it. >> i want to ask you about
1:53 pm
diversity in representation also when we look at our politicians in washington, house minority leader nancy pelosi, appeared on colbert earlier this week on his show, and had this to say about democrats' chances to take back the house. >> we will win. are you going to say that on hillary's fireworks barge that she canceled? please don't say that. >> we will win. we own the ground. we're not yielding one grain of sand. >> how long are the curtains that you are measuring right now? >> pelosi made it clear she thinks they're going to win back the house. she wants to be speaker again. >> well, again, i'm not here to speak with the from the democratic party, but i will tell you that -- >> as somebody who is deeply connected to the democratic party, i'm curious what your
1:54 pm
take is. >> look, i think that the leadership battle, if there is one, will be interesting. i think it will be determined by if democrats win the house by the margin of that victory. if the margin is rather narrow, i think that is leader pelosi will probably face a pretty determined fight. if it's larger she may not. a lot of these candidates who are running first-time candidates, have run pledging not to support her, and she's airaway of that, and she had a difficult battle -- within those four walls, however, she is a master, and i saw it myself when i served in the white house. she is a very effective leader, and she knows her caucus. i imagine she will do what she needs to to try to win that fight. i was a little quizical as to why she chose to spike the ball
1:55 pm
in the end zone on the colbert show. i didn't think that was a particularly wise thing to do. >> he then pushed back saying don't forget about hillary clinton's fireworks barge. >> exactly. i think he was right about that. nancy pelosi is a tough competitor. she comes from a political family from the wards of baltimore. her father was mayor. her brother was mayor. i asked her once on one of my ax files what she learned by growing up in that family. she said i learned how to count, and so i think she knows how to count votes, and she knows how to count votes in precincts, and she knows how to count votes in the house. i would not count her out. >> david axelrod, always good to talk to you. thanks so much. >> good to be with you, anna. >> a brand new ax files featuring arnold schwarzenegger tonight at 7:00 p.m. eastern on cnn, and just a reminder, cnn will have special election night coverage this tuesday beginning at 5:00 p.m. eastern. we'll be right back. i'm dianne feinstein and i approve this message.
1:56 pm
1:57 pm
1:58 pm
"look what she's accomplished... she authored the ban on assault weapons... pushed the desert protection act through congress, and steered billions of federal dollars to california projects such as subway construction and wildfire restoration." "she... played an important role in fighting off ...trump's efforts to kill the affordable care act."
1:59 pm
california news papers endorse dianne feinstein for us senate. california values senator dianne feinstein
2:00 pm
you are in the cnn newsroom. it's 5:00 eastern. 2:00 out west. it is a frantic race to the finish on tuesday. president trump is racheting up his nationalist rhetoric and his final pitch for republican candidates. in montana today he continued to vilify the migrant caravan while insisting strong are bothereders should be seen as a women's issue. >> women want security. they want financial security, but they want security. they don't want to see -- you saw these caravans. they don't want that caravan and, b

38 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on