Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  November 4, 2018 7:00pm-8:00pm PST

7:00 pm
7:01 pm
yes, it's sunday night, don't adjust your sets. this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. we're less than a day and a half away from the first polls opening on election day. i know you've heard people saying this, but the truth is, this could be the most important midterms of our lifetime. if you thought things could get better, if you thought the rhetoric would get toned down, well, nobody really thought that would happen. and it didn't. so while president trump has doubled down on his strategy of fear-mongering and trying to divide us, it's beginning to sound, well, like even he has some doubts about the strategy working. >> about a month ago, two months ago i was hearing about this horrendous blue wave, it's going to sweep us all out, it's going to be terrible. i haven't heard the term "blue wave." but you better get out and vote otherwise i'm going to look very bad with this statement. >> it's been another day of lies, lies, lies. the president repeating his new
7:02 pm
favorite lie, falsely claiming that democrats are practically giving immigrants an ingraved invitation to come here. but this is not just talk. this is not playing politics. this is really serious. thousands of migrants, many women and children, are being demonized while our troops are at the border being used as part of what can only be described as a political stunt, laying down barbed wire to stop immigrants who are still hundreds of miles away and may never get anywhere near this country. while this president stokes fear, armed militia groups are headed to the border. one group, the texas militiamen, telling cnn they have up to 250 volunteers on the way. the "washington post" is reporting that they have weapons, night vision goggles and aerial drones with thermal-sensing equipment. and while one president is stoking fear, another is sounding a warning. >> don't be hoodwinked.
7:03 pm
don't be bamboozled. don't let them run the oaky doak on you. because while they're trying to distract you with all this stuff, they're robbing you blind. they'll be like look, look, look, caravan, caravan. then they're giving tax cuts to their billionaire friends. look, look, look, whatever thing is scary. [ laughter ] and then they're sabotageing your health care. you can't fall for it. and what about the economy? there is no denying our economy is firing on all cylinders. >> jobs are going up, crime is going down. wages are rising, first time in many years, you saw that in the report on friday.
7:04 pm
poverty is plummeting and confidence is at an all-time high. [ cheers and applause ] other than that, we're not doing very well. >> yes, no doubt, the economy is great. the president can take a lot of credit for that -- both of them. >> by the time i left office wages were rising, unemployment had fallen, the uninsured rate was falling, the economy created more jobs over my last 21 months than it did the 20 months since i left office. [ cheers and applause ] so when you rare the republicans bragging about how good the economy is right now, where do you think that started?
7:05 pm
[ cheers and applause ] who you think did that? >> as two presidents battle it out on the campaign trail until they lose their voices, one of the most closely watched races in the country is getting uglier. brian kemp, also the republican candidate for governor in georgia, is without any proof accusing the democratic party of trying to hack the state's voter registration system and, yes, that's the same brian kemp who was himself used his position to, it is accused, suppress minority votes. the democratic candidate for governor told cnn this. >> we have nothing to do with this and i'm very sad that instead of owning up to his responsibility and honoring his commitment at secretary of state that he's once again misleading georgia. >> then there's this from florida's governor's race where
7:06 pm
republican ron desantis is running against the african-american mayor of tallahasse andrew gillum. the agriculture secretary, sonny purdue, described the race as -- and i'm quoting here -- cotton picking important. straight up racist and he should know better. these could be the most important midterms of our lifetime and what we have been hearing is ugly but there is some hopeful news here. more than 27 million people have cast their ballots in early voting, making their voices heard and no matter which side you're on this tuesday it will be your turn so there is a lot to talk about with paul begala, scott jennings, kirsten powers, chris cillizza, mike shields and bakari sellers. i hope we have enough people here to talk about this how are you? sunday night, you ready to
7:07 pm
party? tuesday's vote is a vote for the moral compass of the country and which way it's pointing. kirsten? >> that's what we'll have to wait and see but it's clear you couldn't have more different closing arguments if you look at the two parties. i'm not a republican, i'll leave it to the republicans on the panel to speak to this but i would be offended if i was a republican and the closing argument to me was basically a bunch of poor desperate people are coming to kill you, essentially when the president could be talking about more positive things like the economy and i think a lot of people feel right now that this election represents a hopeful turning point for some people who are frightened by this discourse. >> paul, i'm wondering. a lot of people, especially democrats, very excited about the early voting numbers. among democrats. i don't know, what do you think? >> it's phenomenal. you don't know as a professional
7:08 pm
are we just squeezing the balloon, taking people who were going to vote tuesday and voting them early. >> you assuming it's democrats? >> if you look at the age demographic, in my home state of texas the under 30 vote in the early vote is up 509%. that can't just be scandalized from tuesday. that's something, that's beto mania. can beto win? i don't know. i want him to but there's something going on and we'll miss them in the polling because we figure x percentage of young people will vote, usually in texas, for example, over 65 outnumber under 30 by 9-1. well, now it's 5-1. so those young people will have a disproportionate voice in this and across the country our president's approval rating under 30 voters, 4%. >> but people say young people, young people don't vote. >> as a millennial i take offense to that, don. and to be clear it's millennials that --
7:09 pm
>> she's pointing. >> i have to point. we showed up in alabama to help elect doug jones. we showed up in virginia to help elect rob northam and justin fairfax, we showed up to elect stacey abrams in the democratic primary and i think we'll show up on tuesday. as a matter of fact, some of us aren't waiting until tuesday, we're showing up right now. >> all right, i teed it off. >> look, here's what we know. the hmidterm turnout is 36% and 40% of the voting age population across all -- that's age, race, et cetera, et cetera. 36%. the lowest since 1940, it would suggest 20 million votes up. donald trump said he's never seen crowds like this. he may be right. the question is donald trump can drive his people out. we saw that in 2016. we learned that lesson. i will admit i was in the
7:10 pm
hillary clinton is very likely to win this election. donald trump found people who we didn't necessarily -- weren't polling, didn't expect to vote. they turned out. the question is, is donald trump also, particularly as a president, a really good turnout machine for democrats. is the level of vitriol directed at him -- i've never seen like this in polling. his unfavorable rating is let's say 59%. his strongly unfavorable rating is a 55%. you either like him or hate him and typically in politics that kind of -- i don't want to say anger, but anger, distaste, drives and in a midterm election the more people you get on your side, they win. >> say what you want, bakari. if you like it or not, fear is a big motivator, right? i think it's a smart strategy whether you think it's repugnant
7:11 pm
or not. it's smart because republicans were not as motivated as democrats coming out of 2016. >> when people ask the question does fear and the tactics donald trump is using, do they work, i think there is a data point that says yes, it's effective, he's president of the united states. it worked and what you see barack obama is doing is interjecting himself in the cultural debate where many democrats shy away from. and there are people who are sick and tired of the xenophobia, sick and tired of the bigotry, sick and tire to have had prejudices. they're tired of these things. this is truly a battle for the soul of the country and i don't say that lightly and i think donald trump is playing on the fears and you have candidates closing on things like health care. you have democrats talking about health care and criminal justice reform, you have democrats talking about real-life issues
7:12 pm
but the difference on tuesday will be the candidates running themselves, not necessarily donald trump. because what you have is -- with all due respect to anybody else who ran for governor of florida -- they would not be able to do what andrew gillum has done. anybody else running for governor of georgia would not be able to do what stacey abrams is doing. you have those two individuals in particular who are casting progressivism in a black idiom. i stole that from a huff post article. beto o'rourke reflects, that kirsten sinema reflects that and people are afraid the country is becoming browner. that's the debate and the discussion we're having. >> let's talk about strategy in the fingerprint contrast. i said it's a good strategy whether people like it or not. president obama is making the same points he made in 2016, didn't resonate enough to get hillary clinton into office.
7:13 pm
>> i'm glad we're seeing obama for a couple reasons. he motivates republicans, too, so i love that. secondly there are many of us that looked at the eight years of the obama presidency as one of the most partisan times in our country's history with a president that wouldn't work with republicans, republicans wouldn't work with him. he helped create the atmosphere we have that created donald trump. donald trump created partly on the eight years of obama and he is breaking from precedent in the past where presidents don't do what he's doing and we're seeing the real obama come out which is just as partisan, just as left is trump is right and now they're going on the trail and duking it out and it's who obama has been. >> fact check there. >> i'm going to go to scott then i'll go to break. >> i was like fact check moment. >> we'll talk about that. stick around. we have a lot to talk about. we'll talk about fear-mongering, we'll let scott get in and get the democrats to respond to -- what's his name? we'll be right back.
7:14 pm
expedia introduces add on advantage, a new way to save on travel. now when you book a flight you unlock discounts on select hotels that you can use up until your trip starts. so whether you want to go out, stay in, or be in the middle of it all... add the perfect hotel when you're ready, and save. add on advantage. only with expedia.
7:15 pm
7:16 pm
they see a bit of gray and think... [screams] luckily, there's magic root cover up from looréal. three seconds to flawless roots 3 2 1 ...done! magic root cover up from l'oreal paris. follow l'oreals roots famil_ru. alright, let's get going! and you want to make sure to aim it. i'm aiming it. ohhhhhhh! i ordered it for everyone. [laughing] (dad vo) we got the biggest subaru to help bring our family together. i'm just resting my eyes. (dad vo) even though we're generations apart. what a day. i just love those kids. (avo) presenting the all-new three-row subaru ascent. wave to grandma, everybody. (avo) love is now bigger than ever. - [narrator] meet shark's newest robot vacuum. it powerfully cleans from floors to carpets, even pet hair, with ease, and now for cleaning surfaces above the floor, it comes with a built in shark handheld. one dock, two sharks. the shark ion robot cleaning system.
7:17 pm
coaching means making tough choices. jim! you're in! but when you have high blood pressure and need cold medicine that works fast, the choice is simple. coricidin hbp is the #1 brand that gives powerful cold symptom relief without raising your blood pressure. coricidin hbp. ♪ like a big pizza pie, ♪ that's amore. ♪ when the world seems... ♪ applebee's new neighborhood pastas. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood. president trump doubling down on his strategy of dividing us in an effort to get his supporters to the polls on tuesday. everyone else -- everyone is back here with me. let's talk about this. we talked about the strategy. but here's what the "washington post" -- can we put this fact check up? this is for scott. the president is averaging about 30 false or misleading claims a day in the weeks ahead of the midterms.
7:18 pm
does that matter? >> well, i don't think either party has an exclusive patent on stretching the truth or engaging in hyperbole or -- >> scott, 30 or 40 a day? come on. >> we just heard barack obama in the clip you played say republicans were robbing you blind? i mean, this is pretty divisive rhetoric and it's also stretching the truth. >> come on. >> i don't -- look, i don't like it when people don't tell the truth. i wish they would tell the truth all the time but i don't think this began in the last week, month, two years, whatever. >> well -- >> hold on, hold on, you have to see his face. what, what? >> there are days that i think if the president ever came into contact with the truth it would be a mighty collision and we have that too often. let's face it, how many days a week does he get pinocchios, pants on fire? it never ends. he makes untruthful statements ad nauseam. >> the only thing i was going to add is scott is right broadly speaking that politicians don't
7:19 pm
always tell the truth. but donald trump in particular, it's not as though his prevaricating started when he was sworn in as president of the united states. he did this during the campaign over and over again. this did not come out of the blue. to your point of is this something that changed voters' minds. it didn't in 2016. this is what i keep coming back to. it didn't in 2016. you saw people -- you would say to them this isn't true and they'd say i don't care, i don't believe you. okay. i mean, like the idea of capital "t" truth wasn't a big deal during the campaign. that doesn't make it right but it doesn't mean it hurts him so i don't know if that transfers to all the candidates he's trying to help. >> they voted for an attitude, not a set of policies. >> but what's changed? >> let me tell you what's changed. people have got on the see him in action governing and all the people that he would moderate and it didn't happen, he became
7:20 pm
more of who he was on the campaign trail, some people may be turned off by that, especially women. some may be turned on because of the kavanaugh things, because it backfired for democrats seemingly so people have seen him governing and either they like him more or less. >> so one of the biggest things we eel look for is what white suburban women are doing who traditionally be voting republican. now at least according to polling are cratering for republican. so we have to wait to see if the polling is correct but that's pretty monument al. >> bakari? >> i have to put just a halt to this kind of what aboutism comparison that people have between barack obama and donald trump. you said it before the break, you echoed that somehow either their propensity and veracity for telling the truth was the same, that's not accurate. you mentioned the fact that
7:21 pm
somehow president obama -- roland martin will text me immediately, people go crazy over the fact that i mentioned his name is barack. but president obama was hyperpartisan and that's not the case. you had individuals who from day one set out to make barack obama a one-term president. you had individuals such as mitch mcconnell who was leading the senate he held obstructionism and they said one of the greatest things he ever did was look at the president in the face and say mr. president, you will have not another supreme court justice. you have people like tom cotton, the united states senator from arkansas, and you can frown if you want to, but this is a fact, he objected and held up a united states district court judge appointee until she died. so let's not act as if this is something that has any hint of being similar. and i think the country when they see barack obama versus donald trump, not only do they see an oratorical ability which
7:22 pm
is vastly different, but they also remember the time in which you can disagree with him politically but you were never ashamed of him. >> but the criticism of barack obama from democrats and from people of color, one, they wanted him to govern more, they felt he should be stronger when it came to issues that affected the black community and democrats in his first term said why is he trying to work with those people, they don't want to work with him, they already said they would make him a one-term president. in the second term he realized they're not going to work with me so i'll use the pen. >> why don't we ask a republican congressman who served during the obama era how many times he tried to work with you on things. >> not very often. >> exact will. >> i remember emanuel said we got the votes, ef them. >> that sounds like rahm emanuel. >> wait a minute that matters. your first chief of staff is
7:23 pm
rahm emanuel? let's start right there. >> he did reach out though. >> great job, mike. would you rather have reince priebus? who? >> no, but, here's what i'm talking about. when i talked about barack obama being partisan a bunch of democrats on this panel burst into laughter. >> because it's funny. >> that helps because voters in this country, especially white working class voters that felt left behind in the obama year think that people laugh when you mention that to them. they go, you know what? this is so funny obama was amazing, that's why i'm glad he's talking. he'll turn out voters that show up in the election and so will you guys laughing. >> i'm laughing because it is funny to me that the closing -- that it seems as though the only things republicans have to talk about is obama because they can't talk about their record, they can't talk about the tax bill, you all can't talk about what you've done for the white working class people because there hadn't been anything because when you had the chance to pass a bill and tax cuts for
7:24 pm
middle-class america, it didn't happen. you passed permanent tax cuts for corporation and very, very semi temporary working people. >> record unemployment in the black community. >> but that's just my point. >> wage growth. economic growth. and jobs going -- manufacturing jobs at an all time high. >> everybody can feel that. everybody can't feel that and wages are still stagnant in places across the country. >> the problem with those talking points and the reason people giggle and laugh -- >> economic fact. >> those were the same economic facts under barack obama. the fact is the stock market when he took over -- >> what was the growth in the last two quarters? what was the growth of his last two quarters. >> the stock market when he took over was 6,000, when he left it was 16,000. wages across all races, genders -- >> i'll answer, 2.1%. >> that's what i don't understand. if the president -- >> 84 straight months of job growth. >> -- pulled us out of a
7:25 pm
recession and put the economy back on track, i don't understand why white working class voters don't feel the same about both presidents because they both -- >> because it didn't hit everybody. it didn't hit everybody. >> i'd be happy to answer that. i've been critical of my party but i can tell you what a lot of republicans feel about the democratic party in white working class areas. the democratic party has been at war with coal, gas, oil, pharmaceuticals, insurance, financial services, chemicals. these where my people work so people are shocked when they see people voting for donald trump who don't live on the coast. they feel there's an assault on industrial an agricultural america. they've been demonized. a guy making alone thinks he's doing something honorable. >> do you think he's. >> they think he's doing something honorable -- >> i'm saying the guy making the loan. >> okay but where those jobs are going to end up. that there aren't as many of those jobs as there will ever be. the only way that the coal
7:26 pm
industry will come back, let's be honest, if they start making cell phones out of them, does that have to do with the president? >> i felt during my years under the obama administration that there was a regulatory assault. the amish came out to vote for donald trump. why? you know why? because they were worried the federal government was going to regulate mud puddles on their farm. they wanted to be left alone. it's hard to get the amish that upse upset. >> whatever is behind it, whether it's true or not, that's a fair point. >> where the economy is strongest the republicans are weakest. tomorrow at noon bakari sellers and i will be in loudoun county, virginia, the wealthiest county in america. the wealthiest, prosperous, more today than any other county. bakari and i will be turning out canvassers for jennifer weston who will win against barbara comstock who they call trumpstock. why doesn't donald trump come?
7:27 pm
>> he ain't coming over near there. >> they hit him. >> you're making the same point. you're making the same point, the wealthier suburban areas you're talking about that were already fine aren't the ones left behind. >> then let's talk about racine county, wisconsin. we can talk about racine county, wisconsin. >> stick around. i want to talk about the rise of the far right extremism. why it's escalating and what our political climate has to do with it. ballpark. [stadium announcer] all military members stand and be recognized. no matter where or when you served, t-mobile stands ready to serve you. checkout is at four. enjoy your ride. (bicycle bell sound) ♪ ♪ explore more with a guaranteed 4pm checkout at over 1,000 fine hotels and resorts. it's another way we've got your back. the platinum card from american express. don't live life without it.
7:28 pm
iyou may be at increased riskf for pneumococcal pneumonia -a potentially serious bacterial lung disease that can disrupt your routine for weeks. in severe cases, pneumococcal pneumonia can put you in the hospital. it can hit quickly, without warning, making you miss out on what matters most. a single dose of the prevnar 13® vaccine can help protect you from pneumococcal pneumonia. prevnar 13® is approved for adults to help prevent infections from 13 strains of the bacteria that cause pneumococcal pneumonia. don't get prevnar 13® if you have had a severe allergic reaction to the vaccine or its ingredients. adults with weakened immune systems may have a lower response to the vaccine. the most common side effects were pain, redness and swelling at the injection site, limited arm movement, fatigue, headache, muscle pain, joint pain, less appetite, vomiting,
7:29 pm
fever, chills, and rash. prevention begins with prevnar 13®. ask your doctor or pharmacist about prevnar 13®. my dbut now, i take used tometamucil every day.sh it traps and removes the waste that weighs me down, so i feel lighter. try metamucil, and begin to feel what lighter feels like.
7:30 pm
7:31 pm
we're back. president trump is using the fear factor referring to the migrant caravan as -- in mexico as an invasion even though it's still hundreds of miles from the border. there's lots to discuss now. chris, the president talked about the mail bombings sent by trump supporters and then the anti-semitic massacre in pittsburgh in terms of stopping republican momentum. what impact do you think, if any, that will have. >> not much. he says the quiet part out loud a lot. that's one of his things, you're like, oh, well, i wouldn't think that would happen but great songwriters, they can write songs in a lot of different keys but they usually return to the one key they're most familiar with for whatever reason. this is donald trump's key. this is what he -- you can hate it but this is what he does. this is just like the 2016 --
7:32 pm
end of the 2016 election and i don't think we played enough attention -- i speak for myself. i didn't pay enough attention because it looked like based on polling, message, money, this that the cake was baked for hillary clinton. this time i'm paying attention because it's 100% understanding that anger and fear are hugely powerful motivators. he could in truth be talking about -- mike and bakari were fighting about the economy. everybody's got numbers but it's a worthy argument to have and donald trump has a very strong economic case to be made. you can say it started under obama, find, but he can say i'm the president now and this is what we have. >> it's my economy and it's growth. >> that's not the key he writes songs in. he writes them in this key which is fear, anger, resentment. they aren't listening to you. and i think mike has a point here. they aren't listening to you, i understand you. >> and whatever it is, however you want to describe what he's
7:33 pm
doing, look at today's nbc news/"wall street journal" poll. in the presidential approval rating in the battleground districts, it was even. generic bat in the suburbs, only plus one democrat. his strong approval was as high as it's ever been in that poll. however you want to describe what he did in the month of october, however you want to describe it, it's working for him and it's put the republicans in a better position in some of the house races than they were in at the beginning of the month. >> that was the conversation we had at the beginning of this show. i want to talk about the magazine piece. here's the headline. it says u.s. law enforce. failed to see the threat of white nationalism. now they don't know how to stop it. for two decades they've ignored the rising danger of far right extremism. in the atmosphere of wolfe indifference, a veirulent movement has grown and metastasized.
7:34 pm
>> sounds like a comment a friend of mine made earlier and got reamed for it on national tv. but it's deeper than that. i think and one of the things i ran on during my four elections and got beat on as lieutenant governor is what charlie was talking about. one of the things we haven't discussed and one of the things republicans don't want to acknowledge that while there is econom anxious, there's also cultural anxious. and you see that develop when you're talking about the rise of white nationalism, you see it at a ballot box, you see it when people think that that somehow somebody is coming to replace us and drurn plays into that fear. i am tired of us not acknowledging this rise of domestic terror in our country which is led by when you look at who these individuals are it's white men and nobody wants to have that conversation because it took away nine lives in
7:35 pm
charleston and a good friend of mine. we had a 21-year-old who was able to be radicalized like george wallace and no one is asking the question why. you look at the pulse nightclub shooting. we had the most deadly shooting -- we picked up everything at cnn and went to vegas and said we were going to do this and do that. and what's going on in this country didn't begin with barack obama but it came to a head with barack obama is we're having the discussion about race and the blessing about donald trump, whether you love him or hate him, this conversation, we wouldn't be having it if hillary clinton was president so we're at this moment in time and how are we going to address this conversation? it's not black and white. we're more dynamic than that but we have to have a discussion about how we ensure that all people are treated as if they are part of this global economy, all people have an opportunity to succeed regardless of their skin color have an opportunity to feel as if they're part of the american fabric. donald trump isn't the only drum
7:36 pm
major for that but he isn't the only one who started it, either. >> the anti-definition league say of the extremist murders in the u.s. 71% came from right wing extremism, 26% islamic extremism, 3% from left wing extremism. that's 387 total deaths from 2008 to 2017. shouldn't law enforcement be concerned about it? shouldn't we be concerned about it? should we talk about it without getting demonized? i did and what i said was right. what is the -- what do we do? >> well, this anti-semitism, we see it. it was only a couple years ago i remember the jewish community centers in the country were on high alert because of various threats. even in new york city you're seeing record amounts of anti-semitism i believe as well, we have hate crime statutes on the books, they have to be
7:37 pm
enforc enforced. in allentown, we had over a thousand people show up for what happened in pittsburgh so i don't know the answer. anti-semitism has been around for a long time and i see it from islamic extremists, i see it from white wing fanatics. it's metastasized. >> but the problem here is that you have -- if these school shootings were done by someone from the middle east there would be a very different reaction to them. if they were done by african-american there is would be a very different reaction so we ignore and we have statistics showing that white men are very violent and a problem and nothing is being done about it and then we have the president of the united states talking about a bunch of brown people like they're the terrorists. we have a country where every other day it seems like a white woman calls the police on a black man for barbecuing or gardening or delivering the mail
7:38 pm
and yet we sit quietly while all these white men are out terrorizing people, essentially. every time there's a shooting and it's a white man -- >> i'll tell you, though, i know we have to get to the break, but one of the most frustrating things for me is the default is to say when you talk about this, "what about black on black crime?" if that's the first place your mind goes you need to check yourself. because what about people with red hair? that's not what we're talking about. there is an issue with crime. we talk about black -- >> can i -- let me just debunk this because we're in front of a worldwide audience and let me just say that blackon black crime is a myth. we live in highly segregated societies. >> you're make mig point for me. >> people perpetrate crimes against their same community because we live in segregated communities. so the highest instances of crime on white people is
7:39 pm
perpetrated by white people. the highest instances of crime on black people is perpetrated by black people. >> i'm saying your mind goes to what you are trying to make an excuse for. with why is it so uncomfortable for people to admit there's a certain segment of crime in this country that white males are responsible for. what is so hard to discuss that? no one complains when we talk about black on black crime as if it's supposed to be talked about and that's just how the world is. we'll continue this on the other side of the break. fight both fast tums chewy bites with gas relief all in one relief of heartburn and gas ♪ ♪ tum tum tum tums tums chewy bites with gas relief
7:40 pm
introducing fidelity stock and bond index funds with lower expense ratios than comparable vanguard funds. and we now offer the industry's first true zero expense ratio index funds directly to investors. plus, we have fidelity mutual funds with zero minimum investment. how many other firms give you this much value? absolutely zero. ♪ why don't they do what they say ♪ ♪ say what they mean ♪ baby, one thing leads to another ♪ ♪ say what they mean
7:41 pm
♪ introducing the all-new corolla hatchback. toyota. let's go places.
7:42 pm
first, it continues to pay paramedics while we're on break. second, it ensures the closest ambulance can respond if you call 9-1-1. vote yes on 11. ♪ when i first came to ocean bay, what i saw was despair. i knew something had to be done. hurricane sandy really woke people up, to showing that we need to invest in this community. i knew having the right partner we could turn this place around. it was only one bank that could finance a project this difficult and this large, and that was citi. preserving affordable housing preserves communities. so we are doing their kitchens and their flooring and their lobbies and the grounds. and the beautification of their homes, giving them pride in where they live,
7:43 pm
will make this a thriving community once again. ♪ proposition 11 "proposition 11 is a vote to protect patient safety." it ensures the closest ambulance remains on-call during paid breaks "so that they can respond immediately when needed." vote yes on 11. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ oh the way glen miller played ♪
7:44 pm
that was 10 years ago tonight, november 4, 2008, that barack obama was elected the 44th president of the united states, making history as the first african-american to hold that office. back with me now, my political dream team. i'm not going to name all of you. >> can we get shirts? >> i was in grant park. we thought, you know, it was going to change, especially when it comes to racism. not that racism would be cured but at least the country would be on a trajectory towards trying to become a better country, especially when it comes to all people and a continuation of our conversation that we're having plus this. what do you think? >> i think folks that thought it was going to change with barack obama, president barack obama, ignored the fact that we have yet to have had a real conversation about race in this country. and to bakari's point, one of the very few things that donald trump has done is force us to have that conversation. like i do not remember in my short 28 years on this world where i have seen people sit on cable news and discuss white
7:45 pm
terrorism, domestic terrorism, white supremacy, while supremacist ideology and that's the conversation we have to have. and it's unfortunate that donald trump, who started his political career with the racist birther theory, i.e. trafficking in white supremacist ideology, but it's unfortunate that other folks aren't being held accountable for supporting and holding up what the president is currently doing. it's not just donald trump. republicans who sit on capitol hill, operatives that carry the president's message -- not this guy -- >> not me? >> not you guys. >> and charlie retired. >> don't push your luck. >> the congressman is like, not i. but that's real. so when the president is stoking the fears of folks that have this -- i think we've called it racial anxiety, that's fear of black and brown people. but when the president is stoking those fears and you have
7:46 pm
members of congress that run ads on that, that traffic in this bigotry and these lies and this racism across the country, they are to blame and they are also complicit. unless we call out white supremacy which is ideology that believes whiteness is above all, that believes in the idea of white culture, when the president is talking about immigrants destroying our culture, he's talking about white supremacist ideology. we're not on a dangerous slippery slope we've fallen and we have to address it and combat and i'm waiting on folks to step up. >> well, there's don jr. tweeting about angus king. angus wants to repopulate main with syrian and somalian refugees and he says support senator braky who fights for the secure borders and better jobs in maine. and this is sonny purdue at a campaign for ron desantis. >> public policy matters.
7:47 pm
leadership matters and that's why this election is so cotton-picking important to the state of florida. i hope you don't mess it up. >> he's running against tallahasse mayor andrew gillum who will become florida's first african-american governor. is that an acceptable explanation for his comment? >> it was a bad choice of words. at the very least a bad choice of words. same thing when desantis used monkeying up or kellyanne conway talked about america first at pittsburgh. not good words. i can't speak to their state of mind. they should know better. they're elected officials, they know what's going on in georgia and florida. >> i want to throw -- >> quick, because i have to get to one other thing. >> very quickly. you don't know their motivation, that's fair enough. but the one thing i will say is we talked about it earlier on the air which is the i'm still looking for a reasonable explanation for why donald trump at a rally says barack, pause,
7:48 pm
h. obama. >> what do you need an explanation for. >> that's not the explanation that i need. it's like wink-wink. you know what we're talking about. you can't know that he just did -- did sonny purdue just choose those words but donald trump who has trafficked in this stuff repeatedly in his business life and political life. what explanation other than playing on racial animus, otherness, what -- is there another explanation. >> that's the explanation. >> that's it. >> there's no other explanation. >> we're talking about it like they didn't choose their words wisely. i think they chose their words exactly how they wanted to. >> hold that thought. stay with me, i want to talk about the president's pattern of not only attacking black americans but attacking them by questioning their intelligence. n & you start to panic... don't. because your cto says we've got allies on the outside...
7:49 pm
...& security algorithms on the inside... ...& that way you can focus on expanding into eastern europe... ...& that makes the branch managers happy & yes, that's the branch managers happy. at&t provides edge-to-edge intelligence. it can do so much for your business, the list goes on and on. that's the power of &. & when this happens you'll know how to quickly react... infallible pro-matte long wear foundation by l'oreal. matte without the flat. up to 24 hours. resists, sweat heat humidity now available in even more shades. infallible pro-matte foundation by l'oreal paris.
7:50 pm
the pressure cooker that crisps. it's the best of pressure cooking and air frying all in one. with tendercrisp technology, food will be juicy on the inside, crispy on the outside. (upbeat drumming)
7:51 pm
the ninja foodi, the pressure cooker that crisps. it's your job to get don to emall his tour dates on time. it's good money. we need it. in a divided nation... in the deep south, there's gonna be problems. get your hands off him. now! you never win with violence, tony. his music broke barriers. where did you learn how to play like that? my mother. as soon as i could walk. you're unbelievable. and inspired an unexpected friendship. what do we do about the bones? we do this. [ laughing ] coaching means making tough choices. jim! you're in! but when you have high blood pressure and need cold medicine that works fast, the choice is simple. coricidin hbp is the #1 brand that gives powerful cold symptom relief without raising your blood pressure. coricidin hbp. ♪ my love has come along, applebee's new neighborhood pastas.
7:52 pm
now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood. applebee's new neighborhood pastas. a moment of joy. a source of inspiration. an act of kindness. an old friend. a new beginning. some welcome relief... or a cause for celebration. ♪ what's inside? ♪ [laughter]
7:53 pm
possibilities. what we deliver by delivering. so is president trump trying to reach out to white americans by constantly ridiculing black americans and will that backfire on the gop? back with my dream team now. i want to take a look at president trump's history of ridiculing the intelligence of prominent black americans. >> she is not qualified to be the governor of georgia. obama was a patsy for russia. look at the statement he made where he thought the m irikes w turned off. >> do you feel betrayed by omarosa, sir? >> she's a low life. she's a low i.q. individual. maxine waters. she's somewhere in the mid 60s, i believe. >> so he also tweeted about
7:54 pm
tallahassee major running for florida governor calling him a thief. what do you think that says about the way he speaks about people of color? >> i feel like i echoed this a lot. andrew gilliem has a great education from the florida university. stacy abrams has been a minority leader and worked across party lines and done everything necessary. that's absurd. but i'm sitting back because, you know, don, one of these issues and we talk about race and we have been loud in this issue of race. for us to make progress, there has to be people on the panel that don't look like you, me or simone to call this out for what it is. >> two things, first of all, the president is an equal opportunity insulter. you're cherry picking african americans he said nasty things about. there is plenty of white people, hispanic people and asians.
7:55 pm
>> he calls low i.q. >> absolutely. he creates nicknames and attacks them. that's part of what he does. those are political opponents. to say he's criticizing, barack obama was the previous president of the united states. criticizing each other. >> but one of the -- >> let me finish. secondly, just for the record, i work for ran desantos. the reason he shouldn't use the word thief but andrew gilleum is under investigation and did take a ticket from an undercover fbi agent and lied about it. part of the florida campaign is this guy being truthful? is he part of corruption? there is a massive -- >> he's not under -- >> he's not under fbi investigation. >> donald trump is under fbi investigation and if you were to kick donald trump in the rear end, you'd break the back of desantos' head. he loves the president that much. if he has a problem with somebody under fbi investigation, wait until he hears about donald trump. >> also, paul, don't call ate
7:56 pm
ra -- it a racist attack. >> no, no, no. >> someone that could be a criminal. >> this is the problem. one of the things -- >> no. >> he cannot be a criminal. the mayor of tallahassee. >> he accepted a ticket from an undercover fbi agent and didn't report it. that's illegal. >> he's not under fbi investigation. let's be frank. why do black people have to be thieves and low i.q.lude to thee person is a thief for a second? donald trump is the criminal who raped -- pardon me, that's an analo analogy, america, no. if we want to talk, the problem is the language, we cannot divorce the language with the history and the fact that race is a part of what is happening here. if we ignore the fact race is part of our politics, if we try to be color blind and we look past it, we do not get to the root of the issue.
7:57 pm
>> i actually agree with you on that. i was -- the chief of staff, when the growth and opportunity report came in, we focused on increasing the party's message to hired minority staff. >> i got to go. >> but the democrats do a disservice when they weaponize race in every form and fashion. >> every day. you don't even understand the fact -- >> they should have a conversation, you weaponize those comments. >> quickly, let me -- >> i have to get to the break. i'm sorry. this is a great conversation but sorry. >> low i.q. has been around for a long time. people have been calling us ignore rant and man's hand and bamboozled and all these other things. >> i understand that. >> when you say somebody is low i.q., we're not weaponizing language, but what i want you to understand is this a word used against us for a long time. his policies aren't what they
7:58 pm
need to be but when you call him low i.q., i think back to my ancestors. >> i understand that. >> we'll be right back. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ can increase your anxiety interest rates when buying a new home. that's why quicken loans created our new, exclusive rateshield approval™ first, we lock your interest rate for up to 90 days while you find your new home. then, if rates have gone up, your rate stays locked.
7:59 pm
but, if rates have gone down, your rate drops. either way, you win! it's the kind of thinking you'd expect from america's largest mortgage lender. if you're thinking about buying a home, call quicken loans or go to rocketmortgage.com today. (avo) lisecond chances. you many but a subaru can. you guys ok? you alright? wow. (avo) eyesight with pre-collision braking. standard on the subaru ascent. presenting the all-new three-row subaru ascent. love is now bigger than ever. sometimes a day at the ballpark is more than just a day at the ballpark. [stadium announcer] all military members stand and be recognized. no matter where or when you served, t-mobile stands ready to serve you.
8:00 pm
checkout is at four. enjoy your ride. (bicycle bell sound) ♪ ♪ explore more with a guaranteed 4pm checkout at over 1,000 fine hotels and resorts. it's another way we've got your back. the platinum card from american express. don't live life without it.

58 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on