Skip to main content

tv   Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer  CNN  November 5, 2018 3:00pm-4:00pm PST

3:00 pm
saying he loves his cabinet, and i'm quoting him now, for the most part. and racism and robocalls. as the president continues to make subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle nods to racism on the campaign trail, other groups followed his lead, recording calls disparaging and mocking african-american candidates. is race being used to divide voters in this, the final countdown to the election? we want to welcome our viewers in the united states and around the world. i'm wolf blitzer. you're in "the situation room". ♪ we're just hours away from a historic election that could reshape the rest of the trump presidency, and tonight he's pulling out all stops with a final marathon push, three rallies designed to get out the republican vote. but cnn has learned that some republicans are afraid the president's racially-charged focus on immigration rather than the economy will cost them control of the house, and white
3:01 pm
house officials have warned mr. trump to brace for serious losses. i'll talk about that and more with congressman chris stewart of the intelligence committee. our correspondents, analysts and specialists are standing by. let's begin with cnn white house correspondent kaitlan collins. she is in cleveland where the president held the first of three final campaign rallies. kaitlan, recently the president has been somewhat distancing himself from the battle for the house. what's the latest? >> reporter: that's right, wolf, because he's being advised to do so because essentially they are trying to temper the president's expectations about the republicans holding on to the house, warning him that that may not happen tomorrow and they may lose it to the democrats. now, on the campaign trail president trump is casting tomorrow's vote as a referendum on not only what he has accomplished but also the republican party. instead of focusing on an economic message as most republicans wish he would, the president is instead speaking in apocalyptic terms about what
3:02 pm
will happen if democrats win, speaking about the caravan, about immigration and what the consequences of a democratic house will look like. concern that the republican majority in the house is already lost and desperate to save gop control of the senate, president trump is making the midterm elections a fight to the finish. >> who is going to vote on tuesday? >> reporter: as trump visits three red states he won comfortably in 2016, starting with ohio, then indiana and missouri, sources tell cnn white house aides have braced him for a loss in the house. the president sounding less confidentiality if recent days. >> the difference is i can't campaign for all of those house members, there's so many of them. >> reporter: in a conference call on the eve of the election, trump told supporters his accomplishments are on the line. >> it is all fragile. >> reporter: even though he claims the mid terms aren't a referendum on him, trump urging his supporters to get out and
3:03 pm
vote. >> in a certain way i am on the ballot. whether we consider it or not, the press is very much considering it a referendum on me and us as a movement. >> reporter: his final message has been light on the economy -- and heavy on immigration. >> that's an invasion. >> reporter: as he continues to paint a dark picture of a caravan of migrants still 600 miles away from the u.s./mexico border. >> by the way, you think we're letting that caravan come into this country, you can forget it. >> reporter: that rhetoric coming as nbc, "fox news" and facebook have all decided to stop running a controversial ad paid for by the trump campaign and widely criticized as racist, because it ties an illegal immigrant convicted of murdering police officers to the caravan. >> dangerous illegal criminals like cop killer bracamontes don't care about our law.
3:04 pm
>> reporter: he denied knowing about the ad being pulled but he added. >> a lot of things are controversial. >> reporter: he is ramming up in the final days. >> the democrat agenda is a socialist nightmare for our country. >> reporter: as he goes head to head with former president barack obama, who was throwing jabs of his own. >> they promised they were going to take on corruption in washington. instead, they've racked up enough indictments to field a football team. >> reporter: he didn't mention trump by name, but he didn't have to. >> unlike some people, i don't just make stuff up when i'm talking. i've got facts to back me up. >> reporter: with voters set to deliver their verdict on his first two years in office, trump leaving them with this. >> there's only way to end this lawless assault on our dignity, our sovereignty and on our borders, and that's by voting
3:05 pm
tomorrow republican. >> reporter: now, wolf, cnn never ran that ad, that anti-immigration ad that the campaign has been pushing, and they were criticized for that by the president's 2020 campaign manager brad parscale, but now even some of the president's favorite networks including "fox news" are not airing that ad. it is still a message president trump is sticking with during his final campaign stops here, not only in ohio but also as he is going on into indiana and missouri. the president just landed in indiana a few minutes ago, wolf. he was asked about the potential of democrats winning back the house and going after his tax returns, and he responded with this, and i'm quoting him now. he said, i don't care, they can do whatever they want and i can do whatever i want. now, wolf, that is increasingly a situation that white house officials are trying to prepare the president for. democrats winning back the house and they believe launching a
3:06 pm
slew of investigations. wolf. >> if that happens, if the democrats win the house i'm sure they will. kaitlan, thank you very much. kaitlan collins reporting. the president's second rally is getting under way in fort wayne, indiana. our chief white house correspondent jim acosta is there for us. jim, you are hearing that the preside white house aides are worried. >> reporter: that's right. you would think that the party is behind him when it comes to the strategy of demonizing immigrants into the u.s. but that's not the case. i talked to a top white house aide who said there's great fear on capitol hill that the president's rhetoric is getting so out of control it could influence a lot of the suburban swing voters they're worried about in places like northern virginia and around the country where the voters may say, you know what, i'm fed up with this kind of rhetoric, i'm voting for the democrats. as a matter of fact, the aide talked about one particular district in northern virginia
3:07 pm
where a democrat could very well take out a republican in a race that they never thought they would see that happen. similarly, wolf, on the senate side i talked with top senate republican aide who said this and i thought it was alarming, this senate aide saying they would rather win on the economy rather than on this focus on immigration. this aide said, i think many of us would rather win without demonizing and fearmongering. that's a direct quote from that aide. there's a concern inside some corners of the republican party. keep in mind, many of them won't speak out against the president openly and in public and on the record, but they're voicing concerns privately that they're concerned the president may be leading them toward a cliff and there could be severe consequences come tomorrow. >> how is the white house, jim, responding to the criticism over the racial undertone? >> reporter: well, they're pointing to what the president is saying, and you saw earlier today when he was asked about that ad that has been deemed racist and racially insensitive and thrown off the air by cnn,
3:08 pm
nbc and even fox. the president turned around and said, well, some of the things you say in the media are offensive. wolf, i talked to a top trump adviser a short while ago who said, listen, they don't have any regrets about this immigration push, but at the same time, wolf, and i thought it was very interesting, they are starting to look at this very heavy turnout that is taking place across the country and wondering whether or not that wave that didn't really materialize in 2016 with hillary clinton may be happening this time. this adviser put their chances of keeping the house at less than 50%. wolf, in the ever-confident world of donald trump, nobody talks that way. it is very interesting to hear a trump adviser concede that perhaps, perhaps -- and we are so far away from seeing what happens tomorrow night, we know what happened tuesday night -- that perhaps they may not see tomorrow night the result they want. >> they have good music going on
3:09 pm
over there, that's for sure. thank you for that report. let's get more on all of this. republican congressman chris stewart of utah is joining us. congressman, thank you for joining us. let me get right to the key issue right now. the president is clearly hedging on whether this election is a referendum on him. what do you think, yes or no? do you think it is a referendum on the president of the united states? >> yes, to some degree. i tell you, at the end of the day, wolf, there are 435 house elections, all individual, and they really pivot many times on local issues and the local candidates. i got to tell you, i know some of your reporters want to -- people to assume that this president has written off the house. i think they vastly underestimate this president and this white house if they think it is true. i can tell you i've talked with them over the last few days. they're not writing off the house at all, and i think we may have some surprises tomorrow. i guess we will wait and see. >> it will be 24 hours and we'll start to get those ballots counted and we'll see what happens.
3:10 pm
the president keeps saying his name is, for all practical purposes, on the ballot. a vote for x is a vote for me, he keeps saying that over and over and over again, but you don't necessarily buy that? >> well, i think he's doing that as, you know, is very obvious, is he wants to energize his base. he wants to remind people what he's tried to do, the campaign promises he has made and he tried to fulfill, and that's a good thing. but it is really true, there's 435 house seats. i can talk to my friends in california, pennsylvania and new york, they're running as individuals. they're running their own campaigns. in many cases the focus of their campaigns and including their opponent's is not always on this president, there are other issues than this president and his popularity. there's the economy obviously. it is a great strength for republicans. many of them are running on the strength of the economy, on defeating isis. you know, there's a number of issues that we have to talk about, we want to talk about, other than just the president. i know that's the focus of much of the media, it is the focus of
3:11 pm
the national interest, but it is not always a focus when you go to rural utah or rural california or some of the other places that people are campaigning every day. >> yeah. the president says, yeah, the economy is great but he says it is sort of boring, he doesn't really want to talk about it. he wants to talk about the caravan and the illegal immigration, that's what really generates the base as far as he's concerned. is he making a mistake? should he be talking more about a strong economy, low unemployment, good jobs numbers? >> yeah, i think we got to talk about both. look, i don't know anyone -- and i mean republican, democrat, independent, i don't know anyone who thinks it is okay to have -- i shouldn't say that because there are some who think it is okay to have open borders. i think that's nuts. i think most americans realize our border security is worth discussing. at the same time, we have the strongest economy since we have been born or since we were young men, the lowest unemployment in 48 years, the lowest unemployment rate for african-american and the hispanic community ever. we have rising wages now.
3:12 pm
a great buoyancy in the stock market. i don't know how people are responding at his rallies, but we need to remind the american people that it has helped all-americans. >> but the one really, really negative -- and i know you agree with me -- is this annual budget deficit that is exploding right now with about 500 billion, 600 billion when the president took office, it now will be at $1 trillion budget deficit because of all of the spending going on, the tax cuts that have been going on. that's not acceptable, is it? that's not good. >> no, of course not. it is the reason i ran in 2012, and for us to have a $1 trillion deficit under republican leadership is absurd and unacceptable and something republicans can't do. by the way, i don't think we will get to $1 trillion. i think the economy is growing so quickly it will keep the
3:13 pm
deficit down, but we have to focus on that. by the way, wolf, a lot of my democratic friends are new converts to the deficit. when i ask them, they want us to increase taxes in order to compensate for that. i said, would you support if we increased taxes every dollar of that going towards deficit reduction, and almost always they say, well, not every dollar because we want to spend more money on this and this and this. that's the problem, and you said it yourself, increased spending is where we've gotten into trouble and it is the thing we have to focus on. >> what do you think will happen to the house of representatives tomorrow? will the democrats take the majority or will the republicans hold on? >> well, i'm a religious man but i'm not a prophet so it is hard for me to say. i don't think anyone knows. i mean so many of these races are within the margin of error. i do think this, and that is in 2016 we had a number of people as we found out who actually didn't feel like they could publicly say i'm going to support president trump.
3:14 pm
we've extended that now to republicans and been beat on the head so badly by the media. we've been told we're racist, sexist, bigots, that we're fascist, and a number of people are hesitant, a little shy to tell the pollster, yeah, i'm supporting my republican congressman or congresswoman or someone for congress. i have been told that that's an unknown number that may influence the outcome in a way that we really didn't anticipate yet. >> i think you're right. i think there are plenty of people out there reluctant to tell a pollster they actually will go ahead and vote for a republican precisely because of the reasons you are mentioning right there. i think there's ample evidence of that. let me shift gears and it is a horrible story and it is a horrible, very tragic, sad development. i want to get your reflections on a fellow individual from utah, the death of brent taylor who stepped down as mayor of ogden, utah to deploy with the utah army national guard. he was killed in an apparent
3:15 pm
insider attack by an after beig soldier. our condolences go out to his wife and seven children. it is a heartbreaking story. i know you didn't know personally this mayor, but talk about the impact of this. >> i didn't know him well but i knew him. our paths crossed as my service and him in the national guard and then as he served as mayor not in my district but in a city close by. look, when we say that the military provides us with the bravest young men and women our country has ever produced, this is an example of that. his commitment to service -- and it is so interesting and thank you for giving us the opportunity to honor him. but look at the last tweet he sent. it talked to americans. go out and vote, whether republicans win, whether democrats did, and he contrasted that with the afghans who recently had their elections and the courage they had to show
3:16 pm
because the taliban was killing them, and yet four million had the courage to do that. it is a great reminder for us. honor our country. honor the freedoms we love, protect those freedoms. exercise your right to vote. i think it is a message all of us can appreciate. >> our hearts go out to the family. in his memory and honor, i want to read the final post on facebook. october 28th. let me read it in his memory. as the usa gets ready to vote in our own election next week, i hope everyone back home exercises their precious right to vote and that whether the republicans or the democrats win that we all remember that we have far more as americans that unites us than divides us. a great man. our hearts go out to them. >> amen to that. >> amen indeed. congressman, thanks so much for joining us. >> thank you, wolf. just ahead we will have more on the president's mixed messages about tomorrow's vote as a referendum on him. we also will get the latest on some of the most closely-watched and potentially historic races across the country.
3:17 pm
"the situation room" with wolf blitzer is brought to you by -- eric always wanted to be a professional basketball player. instead, he's the tallest guy in his office. yeah, eric's had to compromise a lot in life. ah yes, you need travel insurance when you travel. so, should i set some... hello? but not when it comes to cutting the cord. fubo gives him all the sports he needs as well as all the shows his family loves. don't compromise. get over 100 channels plus showtime and cloud dvr included. call 844-try-fubo. you've i like working.areer. what if my retirement plan is i don't want to retire? then let's not create a retirement plan. let's create a plan for what's next. i like that. get a plan that's right for you. td ameritrade. ♪ when we switched our auto and home insurance. with liberty, we could afford a real babysitter instead of your brother.
3:18 pm
hey! oh, that's my robe. is it? when you switch to liberty mutual, you could save $782 on auto and home insurance. and still get great coverage for you and your family. call for a free quote today. you could save $782. liberty mutual insurance. liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
3:19 pm
let's do an ad of a man eating free waffles at comfort inn. they taste like victory because he always gets the lowest price on our rooms, guaranteed, when he books direct at choicehotels.com. or just say, badda book. badda boom. book now at choicehotels.com
3:20 pm
3:21 pm
we're following all of the races in the midterm election, now just hours away, including some of the most closely-watched contests that could make history. we have reporters in key locations for us tonight. cnn's kaylee hartung is in atlanta where last-minute allegations of attempted hacking
3:22 pm
are rocking the race right now. what is the latest? >> reporter: well, wolf, the news breaking today that the georgia bureau of investigation is opening a criminal investigation into these allegations of cyber crimes. this has been an incredibly contentious campaign and that is not dissipating in these final hours. there was something of a political firestorm set off yesterday when the secretary of state's office, run by the republican, candidate for governor here, announce it thd were opening an investigation into the georgia democratic party for what they believe to be a failed attempt to hack the voter registration system here. they provided no evidence of hacker and attempted hack when they made the announcement, but they shared with us a series of e-mails they received between democratic party operatives and cybersecurity experts discussing what they believe to be a massive vulnerability in the database. the democrats say they were involved in no wrong doing and explain with the help of further e-mail communication they were actually just passing on information that a concerned
3:23 pm
georgia voter had shared with them when he believed that he detected flaws in the database. wolf, there has been controversy surrounding brian kemp's role as secretary of state, the state's top election official, in the process of overseeing an election he is running for and that will continue. >> it certainly wikileaks. kaylee, thank you very much. the race for florida governor also is a potential history maker. cnn's ryan nobles is in tallahassee for us following that and the heated senate race as well. ryan, what is the latest there? >> reporter: yeah, wolf, no doubt florida is unique in this midterm because it has two highly-competitive statewide races. you mentioned both the governor's race and the senator's race considered to be within the margin of error. generally in midterm races in florida republicans do much better, but democrats feel they have an opportunity because of the candidate leading their ticket and that's their democratic gubernatorial nominee andrew gillum, the mayor of tallahassee. he has the opportunity to become the first african-american
3:24 pm
governor in the history of florida. that being said, republicans are conceding nothing. president trump with a special focus on florida. he, of course, has a home here and is very close with the republican nominee ron desantis. president trump has been here on two different occasions, hoping to push the vote over the finish line for republicans. but, wolf, voters here in florida have been inundated with negative television ads. this state leads the way in terms of spending in television ads, and many floridians are ready just for the vote to be over to get rid of these political ads. florida voters ready to make their voices heard in this crucial election here tomorrow. wolf. >> ryan, thank you very much. ryan nobles in tallahassee. to arizona and a tight race that could decide control of the u.s. senate. update us on the battle for this open senate seat. >> reporter: the open seat that is being vacated by jeff flake, and it has been a brawl every single day of this senate race where interest has been
3:25 pm
extraordinary high. you can see it in what is happening here in this room. this is where the early vote is being tabulated and these white bins you see here, wolf, those are the ballots yet to be counted. they're just wrapping up the tabulation for the day, and all of those brown boxes that you see back there, you see the huge stack, those are ballots that have already been counted. they've been sealed. these are the early votes. already this midterm more people have early voted than they did in all of the 2014, all of the people who voted in the 2014 mid terms. that's in part because of the high interest in the u.s. senate race between republican martha mcsally and the democrat kirsten s sinema. in a final stretch as he hit the other state, the republicans here in this state did ask the president to stay away because his visit, wolf, was seen simply
3:26 pm
as not being helpful to republican martha mcsally. wolf. >> thank you, kyung lah. they're now dropping the racest ad tweeted by president trump, but tonight he won't acknowledge the growing controversy. the growing concern that the president's racially-charged anti-immigration push will cost them the house of representatives.
3:27 pm
green book is the feel good movie of the year. tell me that don't smell good. i've never had fried chicken in my life. you people love the fried chicken. you have a very narrow assessment of me tony. yeah right. i'm good.
3:28 pm
3:29 pm
3:30 pm
3:31 pm
kirs tomorrow's historic midterm election is clearly a referendum on president trump, but tonight he's sending some mixed messages. let's get some more with our correspondents, our commentators and our analysts. nia, the president can't seem to make up his mind if this election is all about him. i want you to listen to this. >> get out and vote. i want you to vote. pretend i'm on the ballot. i'm not on the ticket, but i am on the ticket because this is also a referendum about me. >> many of them think it is a referendum on what we have done, so i don't know about that. i can tell you though that's the way they're going to play it. >> i think we're going to do well in the house, but as you know my primary focus has been on the senate. >> this is a very important election. i wouldn't say it is as important as '16, but it is right up there. i haven't heard the term blue wave, but you better get out and
3:32 pm
vote otherwise i'm going to look very bad with this statement. >> he says, nia, i'm not on the ticket but i am on the ticket. which is it? >> he is on the ticket and he's very much made this a referendum on him. any midterm is a referendum on the sitting president and all of the trends suggest his approval rating, which is about 39% according to our poll, means that they're going to lose seats, right? i think the average if you are under 50% is something like 37 seats. democrats obviously need about 23. so, yeah, but i do think donald trump, whatever happens on tuesday, he's not going to take much blame, right, if the house goes the other way for democrats. he is not going to take any blame and he's going to take credit for whatever good news there is for republicans come wednesday morning. >> how do voters see it? >> the irony is that republicans i am talking to, who are focused on trying to keep control of the senate for the gop, even maybe gain some seats, what they argue
3:33 pm
is that it is because the president is more popular than their republican candidates who actually on the ballot in a lot of these red states where democrats are playing, trying to keep -- a lot of democratic incumbents who are hoping to hold on to their seats even though the president is coming in and saying, no, no, no, this is a red state. the hope is because the president is so popular there that he's going to come in and remind people who are sick of washington, sick of congress, that, you know what? my guy is saying i should go do it so i'm going to go do it. so, of course, voters see this as something -- and then on the other side of the ledger, of course democrats -- the reason you are seeing the passion, the money, the unbelievable high number of dollars going into the races for one reason only and that's donald trump. >> ron, you know, the early
3:34 pm
voting has been -- 31 million people have already cast their ballots early or by mail compared to last midterm, 19 million did so. >> we could have 100 million people vote in this election, probably more. 20 million more than voted in the last midterm, and that is just an extraordinary level of engagement and it is driven by the sense that we are, you know, at an absolute crossroads for the country. you have two mirror image coalitions that have utterly different visions of where the country should go. the president is inescapably on the ballot. that's been the trajectory of our politics anyway. we've been heading in that direction. last midterms, 85% who disapproved vote against. in the cnn poll, it was above 90% on both sides. in the same way he may help them in some places like missouri and montana and indiana, the reason why republicans are facing widespread losses in wide collar suburbs that are the places doing the best in this thriving
3:35 pm
economy is precisely because so many college-educated white voters who ordinarily vote republicans on economics simply cannot abide trump on values and the way he comports himself as president and the way he has chosen to finish the election with such a shh rrill, racially tinged, it is compounding the risk. >> jeffrey, in the past few hours i have been taking notes. the president falsely claimed there's already a lot of illegal voting going on, as if that's an excuse that he is gearing up in case the republicans don't do that great in the house tomorrow. he has claimed the democrats want to give undocumented immigrants free welfare and the right to vote. that's what he says. he claims republicans always wanted to protect people with preexisting conditions. are voters impacted by these wild and clearly inaccurate pronouncement? >> let me say three words you are never allowed to say on cable news, i don't know. i don't know what the voters are not moved by. what i do know is that voter
3:36 pm
fraud is a fake issue. there is not a voter fraud problem in the united states. this is a code for trying to stop democratic leaning voters, many of them african-american, virtually all of them poor, who don't have the same kind of access to identification forms that more middle class people do. voter fraud is a synonym for trying to stop poor democrats, usually of color, from voting. that's in keeping with what -- how donald trump has conducted this entire fall campaign. >> you know, david swerdlick, we are seeing republican candidates adopt a similar strategy. we obtained a recorded phone call from brian kemp's campaign, running for governor of georgia. i want you to listen to what georgia voters are hearing in the campaign. >> brian kemp is running against radical liberal stacey dabrams. abrams is the one who is
3:37 pm
campaigning for government takeover of the health care. abrams is also the one that wants to give illegal immigrants welfare, the hope scholarship and even the right to vote. >> this follows a racist robocall targeting stacey abrams and targeting andrew gillum who is running for governor of florida. >> yeah, sure, stacey abrams, yale law graduate, former leader of the georgia legislature, private practice attorney. it is something to ron's point earlier, it is easy to tag an african-american democrat in a way that the republicans are doing in a more brazen way than they've done in previous cycles. to ron and malika's point, even if trump is not on the ballot trumpism is on the ballot and part of trumpism is in the robocall, this idea that illegal aliens are coming to take your welfare, take your money, take your taxes and democrats want to give them the right to vote. a republican talking point for a long time, wolf, has been in idea that democrats really favor immigration from latin america
3:38 pm
because they want to make the electorate more of color, but president trump skips over that whole analysis. he doesn't show his work, and he just says they want to give illegals the right to vote. >> she's unqualified and says andrew gillum is a thief. >> yeah. >> but let me get jamie into this. big picture right now, the legacy for the republicans, step back, whatever happens tomorrow, how does it unfold? >> donald trump has done what donald trump likes to do. two words, fear and rage. that's what he is closing with. the problem is it will work in some districts short term, but in a lot of districts it will hurt the republicans. longer term, this is a problem for the republican legacy. this is a party that remember under george w. bush he wanted to reach out to immigrants. now you're going to have a thing where you went from big tent to donald trump's pup tent. very, very small. it is going to have a lasting
3:39 pm
effect two years from now, four years from now and on. >> didn't we say this about donald trump when he ran for president? oh, he's so polarizing. you know what happened? >> he won. >> he won. >> right. >> how do we know it will be so bad for republicans? >> it is a trade, right? the party is trading white collar for blue collar, suburbs for rural, younger for older. that is the trade he is imposing on the party. as jeff points out, it can work. it can work in the short term, but what tomorrow is going to be is the most clearest indication of a cost of the trade because you are going to see i think a virtual -- whatever happens in the house overall, a virtual wipeout of republicans in the white collar suburban districts, not only the east and west coast but potentially atlanta, dallas and houston as well. what will be left is a party simply rooted in non-metro america, small town, rural, blue collar america, a more trumpy party, but one that is seeding the area and growing the --
3:40 pm
>> and we will see where the country stands at this sensitive moment. more coming up right after this. proposition 11 solves two issues.
3:41 pm
3:42 pm
3:43 pm
first, it continues to pay paramedics while we're on break. second, it ensures the closest ambulance can respond if you call 9-1-1. vote yes on 11. recently, more than $20 million has been spent in the race for superintendent of public instruction to attack my friend tony thurmond's record. well, i've worked with tony, and no one is more qualified to lead our state's schools. that's why tony thurmond is the only candidate endorsed by classroom teachers and the california democratic party. because tony will stand up to the donald trump-betsy devos agenda and has always protected our local public schools. join me in voting for tony thurmond. let's put our kids first.
3:44 pm
proposition 11 "proposition 11 is a vote to protect patient safety." it ensures the closest ambulance remains on-call during paid breaks "so that they can respond immediately when needed." vote yes on 11. we're back with our correspondents, commentators and analysts. cnn justice report laura jarrett is with us right now. laura, you have been doing reporting on what we can expect following tomorrow's elections as far as cabinet changes, senior positions are concerned.
3:45 pm
>> well, i think the conventional wisdom is that there's going to be a massive shakeup and a number of cabinet members could be out on wednesday morning, but, you know, our sources tell us it may not happen all that fast, wolf. in particular, all eyes, of course, are on the attorney general, jeff sessions, trying to figure out exactly when, if ever, he will go as the president has continued to eviscerate him on twitter and in fox interviews non-stop, basically for months now uninterrupted. a number of officials tell us that there are names being floated, but there's no certainty around the timing on this. sessions isn't the only one who could possibly go. we're also hearing that the president has been talking about secretary zenke. he mentioned it today and he's obviously, as we've reported, under investigation by the justice department, as well as chief of staff john kelly. there's been talk of him. obviously he's had some hotly contested debates with john bolton. there's also secretary mattis. we have a long laundry list of
3:46 pm
names here, and the president said today when a reporter asked him about mattis, what are you talking about? but then he went on "60 minutes" and said mattis was sort of a democrat. all eyes are on all of these different cabinet officials as we see what the president decides. >> what are you -- >> jeff sessions is so out of there. i don't know about the others, but, i mean, the abuse heeaped n him, the best he can hope for is to be allowed to resign as opposed to, you know, getting fired by tweet like secretary tillerson was. but i mean jeff sessions is so gone. >> it is directly related to what happens tomorrow in the senate in particular because that's where the confirmation process happens. in talking to some republican senators on that about this very issue, i mean it is very real. who the president chooses, because of course sessions is gone, to replace him is going to
3:47 pm
be very delicate, and there are no more filibusters for -- not -- for any nominees or any confirmations at this point. but if you don't have a healthy majority, if you are republican, or if something happens that defies conventional wisdom and you lose the majority, that changes everything for the president in terms of his calculus, who he wants on his cabinet. >> jamie, democrats are very upbeat, at least seemingly upbeat. they are pretending they think it will be a win. you heard what nancy pelosi had to say, but i think the skit we saw on "snl" is more reflective of the truth. >> there's a blue wave on the horizon and i have never felt more confident. >> the democrats are taking back the house. it is a win we need and a win we're going to get. i'm sure of it. >> they say don't trust the polls, but i'm choosing to. we're finally going to put this administration in check.
3:48 pm
>> we're going to win. nancy pelosi just said so on colbert. >> white women promised to do the right thing this time. they're not going to let us down, right? >> we're going to win! yeah! >> this one's in the bag. there is a reason we are all laughing, and that is because as my kids would say, "snl" nailed it. the number -- i do not think that democrats feel that this is in the bag at all. we've been -- if we've said it once, we have said it 1,000 times today. we don't know what is going to happen, but let's not forget, and "snl" didn't, never underestimate donald trump and what he can pull out. we've seen it time and again. >> what do you think? >> no, i think that's right. we all remember back to 2016 and
3:49 pm
how prepared hillary clinton was to go out and deliver her -- her speech, her victory speech. i think she had a barge all ready to go with fireworks. >> fireworks, yeah. >> those never got used. so, yeah. i think there was a headline from "the washington post" that said democrats have never been this confident since 2016. so they've got to, you know, figure that out. i think privately they're obviously very nervous because they look back at 2016 and what happened. >> and there's a reason. the reason to be nervous is what we were talking about before, trump has narrowed the republican appeal but he has deepened. they're stronger under trump, evangelicals and blue collar, and that means that the democrats are trying to win back the house on one side of the playing field. they have limited opportunity outside of the metro areas and they're trying to win it almost entirely in white collar suburbs doing very well, but where voters are personally kind of, you know, repulsed by trump. there may be enough republican incumbents in those places who
3:50 pm
find ways to survive that you could keep them from losing. probably not when you look at the kind of numbers today that cnn had 60% of college educated whites say just think about that for a minute, this is the group where trump is less than 40. yes, they could find their way but an awful lot of races tilting democratic would have to go the other way. >> democrats have reach to be cautiously optimistic but it was a mistake for former speaker pelosi to come out and say, yeah, we're going to win for the reasons ron is stating. democrats did not perform well in 2010, 2014 or in the presidential 2016. you know, you're my go-to on all things about the coalition of ascendant and they have not proven themselves in a midterm in a long time. >> you know nancy pelosi. she may be right, but why would she say that? >> you know, she is conservative in one way, i think, and that is
3:51 pm
in how she predicts. and i was surprised that she did because she was at our cnn citizen event, i talked to her just the week before and she was very cautious about saying if the election were today that's my prediction that the democrats will take over. she said that because she sees numbers that make her confident enough to say that. she might have egg on her face, but i will just tell you in talking to the other side, to republicans, they agree with her and it's not the expectation game. they genuinely agree with her it's going to be tough for house republicans for all the reasons we've been talking about. >> we'll see what happens. >> the election is today. >> almost. >> our coverage starts at 5:00 p.m. eastern tomorrow night, election night in america. just ahead. new demands and a new threat from north korea. >> tech: at safelite autoglass, we really pride ourselves on making it easy to get your windshield fixed. with safelite, you can see exactly when we'll be there. saving you time for what you love most.
3:52 pm
>> kids: whoa! >> kids vo: ♪ safelite repair, safelite replace ♪ your insurance rates skyrocket you could fix it with a pen. how about using that pen to sign up for new insurance instead? for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise their rates because of their first accident. switch and you could save $782 on home and auto insurance. call for a free quote today. liberty mutual insurance.
3:53 pm
♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
3:54 pm
vof hundreds of families, he'se hmost proud of the one the heads he's kept over his own. brand vo: get paid twice as fast with quickbooks smart invoicing. quickbooks. backing you. first, it continues to pay paramedics while we're on break. second, it ensures the closest ambulance can respond if you call 9-1-1.
3:55 pm
vote yes on 11.
3:56 pm
proposition 11 "proposition 11 is a vote to protect patient safety." it ensures the closest ambulance remains on-call during paid breaks "so that they can respond immediately when needed." vote yes on 11. north korea is keeping a close eye on tomorrow's midterm election and trying to leverage its position with a new threat ahead of a very important meeting. cnn's brian todd is working the story for us. brian, new demands from the kim jong-un regime? >> new demands, a new threat and new worries tonight from people who have dealt with the north koreans. they're asking is this dialogue, this peace process, on the verge of collapsing? kim jong-un's regime issues a threat to america.
3:57 pm
just days before secretary of state mike pompeo meets kim's top intelligence official in new york, north korea's foreign ministry warns the regime could start building up its nuclear forces again if the u.s. doesn't ease sanctions on north korea. >> north korea always before a meeting tries to gain leverage by perhaps issuing threatening language or insinuating a threat. you know, that said, we don't want to just dismiss it as negotiating rhetoric. it does reflect their position. it also reflects the stance that they have that they don't want to give up much. >> the north koreans believe they have already given up a lot. they have returned american remains from the korean war. >> how does it feel to be home? >> released some americans who were detained in north korea. they have destroyed a missile engine test facility, blown up the entrances to their nuclear bomb testing site. but experts say some of those moves are cosmetic. >> it in no way impedes the
3:58 pm
development and expansion of their nuclear arsenal. >> still, the north koreans believe these have been uneven trades and they want the trump administration to ratchet back crippling sanctions before the regime scales back its program. but secretary pompeo is resolute. >> stray voltage happens to be all around us. we're very focused. we know with who we're negotiating, we know what their positions are and president trump has made his position clear. no economic relieve until we achieved our objective. >> president trump had gotten credit from north korean experts for meeting with kim jong-un and getting the north koreans more analyzed in dialogue. analysts are split on whether that's falling apart. >> we're about as far apart as you can get. five months after the summit. we don't have an agreed-upon definition of what denuclearization is. >> and north korea's threat to build up their forces may mean they'll start retesting the missiles that can test the united states. >> if they do test, everything
3:59 pm
will come to a halt and we're really back to where we were a year ago. >> a year ago, when there was talk of a possible u.s. first strike on north korea if they kept up their threatening behavior. tonight experts say kim and his aides will also be monitoring america's big day on tuesday. >> they always watch midterm elections very closely, and they want to see how much the incumbent in the white house, does he have support. i think they're looking for whether president trump gets weakened or not. >> analysts say the north koreans who watch the american political process like hawks are going to be closely monitoring the possibly democratically controlled house of representatives to see if they push for things for any agreement trump makes and whether they push for more controls as which the north koreans say might weaken his hand. >> you might a good point, how
4:00 pm
closely the north koreans are watching the latest developments here in washington. brian todd reporting for us. thank you. and thanks very much for watching. i'm wolf blitzer in the situation room. "erin burnett outfront" starts right now. outfront next, president trump rejecting a closing ad about his own economic record, opting instead for an ad so incendiary that cnn, nbc and even fox news would not air it. is this what republicans really want to be talking about? plus the president's awkward introduction of his daughter. he says he can't call his daughter or any other woman beautiful anymore. how might that go over with women voters? and the races to watch. who's up, who's down and will americans wake up on wednesday to find a different world? let's go outfront. good evening, i'm jake

61 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on