Skip to main content

tv   Cuomo Prime Time  CNN  January 24, 2019 10:00pm-11:00pm PST

10:00 pm
>> it is a fascinating movie called three identical strangers. premiers 9:00 p.m. eastern this sunday night. news continues. i want to hand it over to chris for cuomo primetime. >> i am chris cuomo. welcome to "prime time". we've had new developments in the last few minutes on shutdown talks after hopes of a break through in the last few hours and new information on drastic next moves that president could take or at least he thinks he could if talks fail. will he really go solo to build his wall? and can he? his counselor, kellyanne conway is defender. is supposed to join us tonight. we now know who is willing to break ranks with president trump to get the government reopened today. there were two big votes today and we had one of the people that voted on both of them, susan collins, one of six republicans to cross the aisle in the senate and michael cohen may appear on capitol hill after all. the committee he lied to has
10:01 pm
subpoenaed him. will he tell members the truth this time? the word is that's all he wants to do. what do you say? let's get after it. i wish i had better news. two big votes today. both of them went down. part of the news is we saw more republicans voting against the presidents position. they voted yes on the second bill but not enough to get to the number they need to override. bottom line they didn't get it done. then we heard that mitch mcconnell outwardly saying the shutdown has to end. inwardly saying let's make a deal. he and chuck schumer were huddled together today after the two bills failed in the senate. so it gave some hope. trying to make a deal. finally they're working together. this is what the business is supposed to be. not a shutdown. however, according to the senate
10:02 pm
majority leader, there has been no substantial progress. one thing they were mulling over was this option. to reopen the government, a temporary resolution. open it back up for a few weeks, a month, month and a half and allow them to have the time to make a deal on border security. the president insists that could include a down payment for his wall. down payment means nothing. it did more confusion than anything else. his team said that's a no go. here was the president earlier about that. >> if they come to a reasonable agreement, i would support it. i have other alternatives if i have to and i'll use those alternatives if i have to. we want to go through the system, we have to have a wall in this country. >> you can argue whether or not you have to have a wall. we'll do that in a moment.
10:03 pm
how he would do it really matters. we have exclusive reporting tonight after we talk to kellyanne and get the political side, i'll break down the policy side in a way that shows what has to happen and how it has to happen for the president to declare a national emergency or declare something else. we have exclusive reporting on that, but now let's bring in the president's best defender, white house counselor, kellyanne conway, always good to have you on the show. >> hi. >> breaking news. i'm sure you heard about it. i want you take on it. this report about security clearances there, it does not involve you personally, but some 30 members of the administration were found to be insufficiently cleared. career experts say they shouldn't be cleared. most notably jared kushner. that there were concerns about potential foreign influence on him and then with all 30 of them, somebody in a senior
10:04 pm
position overruled all of the findings. are you aware of this, and if so, do you agree with this decision? >> this is just breaking as i walked over here from a different meeting on border security and the shutdown. so i can't really comment on that, chris. i know it's a brand new report. there's nothing i can say about it accept that i'm sure i work side by side with many of these people every single day and find them to be upstanding americans trying to serve their country as best they can, but i can't comment on the specifics because i have not had a chance to even read the report which i think is from a different network. >> it's an nbc news report. i wanted your take on it, especially because of the stuff about jared kushner. we heard this before. the word from the white house, in fairness, not from you, but from the white house had been there was no real problem. it was about him getting out information. he has a sophisticated background. it's different that what they
10:05 pm
deal with. now we hear two intel experts say we understand he has potential conflicts, we can't clear him, and that was overruled. is that a concerned? >> since you mentioned jared's name, let me say he has a right to respond and to layout the facts accordingly as he wishes to. i can't do that on his behalf because i'm not familiar with what you're talking about. >> fair enough. >> but i was with the president today and others while he was discussing with senators that had just voted and his negotiating team which includes jared kushner and the vice president up on capitol hill today trying to work through the negotiations and i'm very, very pleased that both leaders in the senate, chuck schumer and mitch mcconnell have been meeting really throughout the day if not the evening to try to broker a deal. it's a big improvement over nancy pelosi's no. she has been saying no. she said no again tonight when the president said perhaps a short-term cr plus a good substantial down payment at the
10:06 pm
barrier at the southern border. she offered $1. that's not a down payment. that's insulting. her $1 and her no is a big insult. >> they're putting up a lot more. >> these kids i met that lost their loved ones. >> they're putting up more than $1. why did she say $1. >> you also have to include the victims in the shutdown and the president and people around him have given every indication that they don't get that pain. >> that's not fair. i feel for them. >> wilbur ross saying he doesn't understand the need. they can just get loans. that's out of touch. >> we feel for them. some of them are our own colleagues at the white house. none of them are on capitol hill. they're fully funded and fully staffed. why do these people go home on thursdays and come back on tuesdays? can we get the congress to stay in town, talk it through, come to the table and hash it out. >> if mcconnell would have let them vote, this could have been over weeks ago.
10:07 pm
>> they voted today on a couple of measures as you know, but i wanted to get back to what you said about the 800,000 federal workers. i have great compassion for them. i was raised by a single mom that used to put clothes on layaway. i wasn't raised in privilege. she's the best mom ever. we all have compassion. >> kellyanne, i know your background well. the president said they'll make adjustments. i get it. i can relate. landlords will work with them. mortgage banks will work with them. >> those are mitigation -- those are things that the government can do to mitigate to help people along. but that's different than the core question. that's different than the core question of caring about people. the president said today during a trade meeting but he had the press pool, he said i love them, i respect them and of course he wants them to come back to work. >> show it. >> well, the way it's shown is to have a bipartisan agreement.
10:08 pm
to get aborter border security and open up the government. it's been five days since president trump publicly proposed a new plan and we're yet to get a counter offer. all we hear is no and $1. do you know what's in that plan, that proposal? you can put up the items for your audience. do you know what's in there all the things the democrats wanted, daca, border security. 2750 new border patrol agents. 75 new immigration judges. it's so much that they have asked for. >> you know the particulars. >> they never expected daca and tps to be in there. >> it creates onerous conditions on these people that are already in a tough spot. it is not what -- >> the president has compromised and he has come to the table and to where they are. where the democrats are. they said we want money for humanitarian needs. this proposal has $800 million to meet those humanitarian needs. it has $805 million for
10:09 pm
technology and other detections. >> they argue the priorities are screwed up because of this farcical promise of a wall he wants the money to go for the physical barriers when you can't make a compelling argument that that matters as much as the other components. >> the physical barrier is important. it's a centerpiece of overall border security. >> for you it's a centerpiece. >> no, for many democrats that voted in 2006. >> never a centerpiece. >> hold on, i've never been in the senate and certainly not in 2006 when joe biden and barrack obama and hillary clinton voted for, yes, and yes chuck schumer voted for it -- >> the democrats put together almost 64 billion. that included physical barriers. and the republicans -- >> yes. >> it was never a centerpiece and it's not now. >> it's not here at all. why is it not here at all. >> it's all to stop the problems that the president made up. >> that's not true. do you know why i know that? because i talk to border patrol.
10:10 pm
>> me too. >> this was not a wish list invented here at the white house. it's coming from border patrol. they say here is what we need to enable us to do our jobs more effectively and more thoroughly. they are stretched. you know -- they have never seen flow like this. a wall doesn't address that. >> we need a barrier, in addition to everything else that i just mentioned we want the technology, the detention beds, the humanitarian needs met. it's all in there. >> when he was saying the wall is the big thing and mexico is going to pay for it and all of you guys on the republican side were like please. now he is trying to create a imaginary way to make that come true and he is saying that a wall is all. >> i respectfully disagree. >> that's all he talks about is the wall -- look.
10:11 pm
he did it today. play the sound of the president today. >> they're pouring in and they come through the ports of entry but the big trucks come through areas where you don't have a wall and you have wide open spaces. >> you know that's true. >> of course it's not true. i don't know who told him that. >> can we talk about the drugs? can we just talk about the drugs in a very serious manner. this is important. 7 school age children. i have met these families we have 300 americans every week dying of heroin overdoses. >> the wall is not the answer. >> 90% of it comes through the southern border. chinese fentanyl through the southern border. coming through in different ways. it comes through our own postal service. but do you know what happened a couple of months ago? every single democrat that voted, voted in favor of the big drug legislation and what did it do?
10:12 pm
it admitted we have a serious drug crisis in our country and one of the measures in there was to stop drugs coming in through our own postal service. but they have already admitted -- >> but the wall is not the solution. >> the president just made something up about trucks coming through the desert. the coast guard -- the most amount of drugs from the water. they have trucks -- >> it comes in many different ways. it comes through -- >> but he's describing the least way and he wants to spend the most on stopping it because of this promise. >> i just want to say last week in the rio grande, it didn't get a lot of coverage, in complete news, in complete coverage, they intradikted. >> 700 pounds. cocaine. they used migrants as a distraction. it was 40% of the take. >> it's just examples. >> they get ten times that in the other places. a wall is not the answer.
10:13 pm
>> chris. >> not the complete answer. >> if it's not zero, that batch of cocaine or heroin or meth could be coming into your community and into your house. >> absolutely, but if you want to stop drugs there's so many other ways. >> we're doing it many ways. >> you wouldn't be spending this much money, this many billions of dollars on something that was a marginal part of the solution. he is because he's putting himself before the problem. >> no, he just wants the same kind of physical barrier akined to what we already have in so many areas along the southern border. >> i'm glad you said that because the president says there's nothing there. it's all wide open. thank you for admitting that. >> no, that's not true. some of it is there. i'm saying in many different stretches there's plenty of wall that's been built. plenty of physical barriers that are there. but it's just completely ridiculous and inane for anybody that's been elected to public office to look their constituents in the eye and say, you know what, as part of this
10:14 pm
we don't need a physical barrier that someone can't crawl on. >> they're not. they are saying they will not prioritize this. because he's delivering on a farce. >> they're saying no. >> at the end of the day, does the president now get the pain he created with the shutdown and is he motivated to end it soon? >> the president's first and solemn duty is to keep this all safe. he will continue to do that through border security. we all see there's 800,000 federal workers including colleagues here throughout the administration who are going to be paid when the government reopens but i also want to say the democrats can come to the table and end this. >> they have. >> no. >> he did this. >> i'm glad that schumer and mcconnell are doing this. why is pelosi, why is she just saying no without a counter offer? >> they put money on the table.
10:15 pm
they had 25 billion on and he walked away. >> that wasn't real. that was authorized and not appropriated and you know it. >> mcconnell wouldn't do his job or this would have been -- >> you're not going to get an argument from me. >> he said i'll carry the mantle. i'll never blame you, chuck. of course he gave up on two of those. he blame the democrats. >> i think the shutdown is shared because now you've got shared control of capitol hill and i have been in the situation room since this has been made public, i'll just repeat it, when the president said, okay. so if i agreed to open up the government for 30 days will we get the barrier at the end of it, she said no. he said okay, bye. >> it's about priority. amount and location. >> can we agree on the problem that we do have drugs coming in? >> absolutely. what we do not agree is that
10:16 pm
we're a wall away. from stopping drugs. >> i'd take that money and use it in a half dozen other places and help the problem more. >> how do you explain the secure fences act? it wasn't called the secured technology act or canine act. >> i'm not saying they're not part of it. >> thank you for admitting that. >> i've said it many, many times on this show. >> it's very important. >> i never said we don't need physical barriers. i said it's a farce to say we're a wall away from the made up problems. >> the biggest farce was nancy pelosi lying there were security concerns -- surrounding the president delivers his state of the union. >> she got those concerns from a dhs letter. >> she got them from one person -- >> the secretary. >> no, dhs and the secret service assured the president and said publicly that they do not have security concerns. she's inventing security concerns. >> the message the american people want to hear is that the shutdown is over.
10:17 pm
and what the resolution is. >> we want the shutdown to be open too but we want border security. >> well make a deal. >> our negotiating team will hopely get closer to that reopening the government. >> i hope so as well. >> kellyanne, i appreciate you coming here on short notice. it's a big night. >> thank you. >> so you hear the president's side. that's what he wants you to hear. that's what he wants you to think is true. we tested it. what do you think now? let me know on twitter. what does he do if he doesn't get a deal? we have exclusive reporting on what the potus's alternative plan is as he calls it. wait until you hear how this would work. next. (baby crying)
10:18 pm
♪ ♪hold on, i'm comin' ♪hold on, i'm comin' ♪hold on don't you worry,♪ ♪i'm comin' ♪here we come, hold on♪ ♪we're about to save you i'm comin', yeah♪ ♪hold on don't you worry,♪ ♪i'm comin' enhanced up to 48 hours. new unbelieva-brow longwear brow gel by l'oreal paris.
10:19 pm
no smudge. sweat resistant. waterproof. it's unbelievable. unbelieva-brow longwear brow gel. l'oreal paris. unbelieva-brow longwear brow gel. ♪ ♪ our new, hot, fresh breakfast will get you the readiest. (buzzer sound) holiday inn express. be the readiest.
10:20 pm
♪now i'm gonna tell my momma ♪that i'm a traveller transitions™ light under control™ transitions™ presents four new colors style colors by transitions™ transitions™ presents four new colors jimmy's gotten used to his whole room smelling like sweaty odors. yup, he's gone noseblind. he thinks it smells fine, but his mom smells this... luckily for all your hard-to-wash fabrics... ...there's febreze fabric refresher. febreze doesn't just mask, it eliminates odors you've... ...gone noseblind to. and try febreze unstopables for fabric. with up to twice the fresh scent power, you'll want to try it... ...again and again and maybe just one more time. indulge in irresistible freshness. febreze unstopables. breathe happy. the president owns the shutdown and he has a tough case
10:21 pm
to make that we are a wall away from fixing the problems that he invented. on national tv today he doubled down on the idea that this is about him. >> i have other alternatives if i have to. i'll use them. we have a lot of alternatives. >> what does that mean? cnn has exclusive reporting on how they might try and end run around congresses constitutional power. over the purse. trump's own team isn't completely on board but they have drawn up a draft. the massive amount of aliens that enter the united states each day is a direct threat and constitutes a national emergency. i donald j. trump including the national emergency's act here by declare that a national emergency exists at the southern border of the united states. big question is is this legal. that'll take time.
10:22 pm
the bigger question is where would they get the money? 681 million from the treasury. they can get ahold of that. 3 billion in pentagon civil works funds. 3.6 million in military construction money and another 200 million in dhs money. who are they taking that money from? who would it deprive? those are considerations. for all the talk about tech and manpower, the president is looking for talk about the wall. remember that when they say they're about all security. the draft says environmental reviews can be skipped and there's ways to go around contracting laws. shortcuts for time. so assuming that they can get fast a legal fight about separations of powers and they can win lawsuits against environmental groups they still need somewhere to build the thing. and that could be a huge issue logistically and politically. most of the land not owned by the united states. in texas it's privately owned. a lot of those people voted for trump and are not big fans of the government taking their property. let's say they don't want to
10:23 pm
sell. custom and border protections said it will use imminent domain. setting a side whether or not it qualifies as emergency. the best case scenario is that this gives the president a way to declare a win while any work on a wall engineered this way is going to be tied up in court for a long, long time. so the question becomes, should the president take this way out? lots to debate, and we're going to have a great one, next. audible members know listening has the power to change us,
10:24 pm
make us better people. with audible you get more. two audible originals: exclusive titles you can't find anywhere else. plus a credit good for any audiobook and exclusive fitness and wellness programs. all for just $14.95 a month, and always ad free. the most inspiring minds, the most compelling stories, the best place to listen.
10:25 pm
download audible and start your free trial today.
10:26 pm
all right. >> so if the president can't get a deal and he's in this, should he declare an emergency? we're back to that. does potus have the right. is it right? the making o of a great debate.
10:27 pm
rick santorum. so, rick, do you believe -- let's start at the beginning here, do you think the president finally understands the pain he has been causing with this shutdown and he is more amenable to a deal? >> i don't think that's the reason the president is going to make a deal, no. >> really? all this pain we keep hearing about? >> i don't think the president sees that as a reason for him to make the deal. he's very much focused on getting the border -- >> wow. >> no, i don't think that's a motivating factor for this president. >> you don't think all the stories we're hearing about the desperation and the risks to our safety and our servicemen and women who are doing jobs, keeping us safe without pay, that that's motivating him. >> if you ask my opinion, no, i don't think it is. i think what's motivating him is to do the job to secure our country and to protect the american people. i think that's the motivating factor and that's why i said from the very beginning on one of the earliest shows this was going to be a very long shutdown
10:28 pm
because i don't think the president is going to bend because he's very focused on securing -- doing security measures to make sure that we're safe. >> well, he's fixated on a wall. what we see is he is trying to with the national emergency draft. get a lot of money to build a wall but nothing else. so obviously that's his priority. do you think that's the right way to go. >> well, look, clearly, all the evidence indicates that this wall is a made up solution in many cases to made up fabricated problems that the president has put out there. we heard from kellyanne conway. >> trucks driving across the desert filled with drugs. >> not true. >> not what happens. >> the vast majority of drugs come in through points of entry. >> caribbean, people working for free right now, they get a ton of it. >> let's also not forget our
10:29 pm
opioid crisis and began from prescription medication. >> coming from asia. huge problem. nobody can deny it. >> the wall is not going to stop that from happening. it's spending a vast amount of money to solve a problem that needs solving but to do it in the way that all the facts and data show you is the wrong way. what is the shutdown about? it's about president trump's ego. it's about him getting maybe theoretically ahead of himself in all the rallies where he was streaming mexico will build a wall. mexico was never going to pay for a wall so now he's out there with egg on his face that it's fallen apart and his bad idea he's going to push for it and push for it because rick is right. he doesn't have any sensitivity or empathy or awareness about the pain, real life pain the shutdown is causing. >> i think what the president sees is a temporary pain, there's no question people are
10:30 pm
going through pain but they also know they're going to get paid back and it is a temporary inconvenience. >> if you live paycheck to paycheck, pay back doesn't cut it. >> but what he is focused on is a permanent and serious problem at the border that effects the security of our country. >> i'm with you 100%. but one, there was never reason to put it on the backs of the american people. they have nothing to do with this. >> that takes two to do that, chris. >> no, it doesn't. >> he shut it down. >> the idea that any shutdown, whether it was the shutdowns or the schumer shutdown just a year ago, that that's one sided, it is never one sided. >> the president said it. the president said this is my shutdown. i won't blame you. >> the only solution nancy pelosi will accept is complete capitulation by the president.
10:31 pm
>> can we stop on this 25 billion, because you throw this up at me all the time. you know -- hold on, stop. >> go ahead, rick. make your case. >> you know the difference between an authorization and an appropriation, do you not? and if you don't, i'll be happy to educate your viewers. an authorization is that we put -- we say in legislation that this amount of money can be spent on this. none of it is going to be spent until there is an appropriation. that's what we're talking about here now. where the congress comes back and says okay we're allowed under the law to spend this money and here's how much we'll appropriate to do it. when you say there's $25 billion on the table, that's simply not true. not a penny was appropriated. >> wait, stop -- >> rick, you have to be willing to be right and you have to be willing to be open. they never got to that point
10:32 pm
because when the president said yes to the deal and went back to people on the far right of your party and they said, we need chain migration. family reunification. we need to make these hedges on legal immigration, get back in there, boss, he walked away from the deal. it never got that far because of his own walk away. >> there's a lot of reasons that the deal weren't done but don't throw out that they agreed to $25 billion. >> he walked away. the process was incomplete. >> i agree but there's a lot of reasons for that. >> but quit using 25 billion. >> that was the number on the table. >> it's false. >> can we stop for a minute -- >> last point to you. >> you're playing on the semantics of appropriation. >> it's not semantics. >> stop it rick! >> you stop it. quit lying. 25 billion wasn't left forward. >> there's no room left to lie in this show because you have taken it all. let's go back to the reality here. on anderson's show, they had a family that's a federal worker,
10:33 pm
their child lives on a feeding tube. they may get paid back later, god knows when, but they're going to get evicted before that. they may have to turn off their power before that. and god knows that will be catastrophic for that child. that's the real world here. and we're having this argument because president trump has a solution that won't solve the problem that he has raised and the problem he has created and those are facts. >> we know the pain is real and we should know soon if this is going to end any time soon. rick, well argued and thank you. christine, always great to have you on the show. so some republicans are feeling this pain of the shutdown. they get it. how do we know? they voted for both bills today because they're so desperate to reopen the government, that includes republican susan collins from maine. she crossed party lines. she's here to explain why, and why she says don't be such a cynic.
10:34 pm
it's not as bad as you think in terms of getting an answer. ♪now i'm gonna tell my momma ♪that i'm a traveller ♪i'm gonna follow the sun♪ ♪now i'm gonna tell my momma ♪that i'm a traveller transitions™ light under control™
10:35 pm
10:36 pm
10:37 pm
so today was supposed to be a day of some time of decision in the senate. two proposals up. which would win? neither. both failed. the democrats plan, however, did score more votes than the president in the gop controlled senate with some attrition in the ranks, why? republicans like susan collins broke ranks. let's bring in the senator right now from maine. thank you for joining us. >> glad to be on your show, chris. >> so senator, give me cause for hope. your colleagues are leaving. i keep being told there's not going to be any end to this any time soon. you say maybe there will be an end soon. why the optimism?
10:38 pm
>> i actually saw signs of progress for the first time since the shutdown began, today. first of all, we did consider on the senate floor two separate plans. i voted for both of them, that would have resulted in the reopening of government. that's progress. we haven't been debating plans on the senate floor that would have made a difference. so that lead to negotiations that are on going between the senate republican leader and the democratic leader and i'm hopeful that those will bear fruit. >> you signed both bills. there were six or seven senators, i have a list of them that voted for both. help me understand this. isn't this about saying the president should get the money he wants for the wall or he shouldn't? how do you vote yes for both? >> i voted yes on both because my top priority is to reopen government.
10:39 pm
this is the longest shutdown in our history and it's harming 800,000 federal employees and their families. it's causing them to struggle to pay their bills without paychecks. there's going to be a second missed paycheck very soon if we don't solve this and it's interfering with small businesses. people that need government assistance. it has widespread impacts on our economy and our people and it has to be brought to an end. so i'm for any reasonable plan that will bring it to the end. >> do you think the president is being reasonable? do you think he gets the pain with his comments about they'll make adjustments and his daughter-in-law saying, you know, this is pain for you, but it's for a greater cause. and his cabinet member saying, you know, i don't understand why they would have to be waiting in line for food. do you think he gets the pain
10:40 pm
that he's causing? >> there's plenty of blame to go around on this shutdown but i'm not sure that the president fully understands what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck as a lot of people in my state and elsewhere do. >> as for mcconnell, he would have put votes up weeks agatha -- ago. that may may have well ended this shutdown. he had bills on his desk that he knows you guys voted for in the past. he didn't put them on because the president told him not to. >> the problem is that for senator mcconnell to go forth with the bill, which i'm very glad that he did today, that he knows the president is going to veto -- i think he felt -- i don't mean to speak for him, but seemed rather pointless. we have people who are being intransient on both sides of the house.
10:41 pm
for nancy pelosi to say no for any kind of physical barrier on the southern border when in the past she has voted for physical barriers. >> you're right. senator collins, i come to you very often because you are a straight shooter in a way that is not easy to find in washington d.c. i know that she answered a question by saying no, maybe i'd give him a dollar, but you do know that democrats have over a billion dollars on the table right now. they offered 25 billion over 5 years before. they have always offered money for physical barriers. is it fair to hold pelosi to that political answer when you know that they have money on the table? >> well, i'm glad to see that there's some in the house that seem to be breaking away from what she said, but that is, in fact, what she said. listen, i think the most
10:42 pm
encouraging thing is 16 of us, 8 republicans, 8 democrats were on the floor after the votes today and we said we'll draft plans to try to reopen government and that is significant that the rank in file members of the senate are coming forward and saying this cannot stand. >> how do you work in good faith with the other side when you have the president interjecting things that are almost seemingly designed to blow up any negotiations. did you hear the things he said today about a deal and him having other alternatives and here's what he's going to do and them putting out that they had the money to put $7 billion into a wall. you know all of that is kryptonite to the other side? is that helpful? >> it isn't helpful. it would be more helpful if the president let chuck schumer and mitch mcconnell try to negotiate a plan.
10:43 pm
i can assure you that the 16 of us are proceeding to negotiate a proposal as well. >> is mcconnell allowed to negotiate or is he still the president's proxy. >> he is clearly negotiating and wants this to end. heine had a good first meeting with chuck schumer. they're finally talking. i wish it happened a month ago. at least it's finally happening. as far as the president's use of emergency power and very dubious from a constitutional perspective. i don't think the president can take money that congress allocated for specific purposes. and then repurpose it to build physical barriers. walls and fences, whatever. >> if you had to take a guess,
10:44 pm
an educated guess, a hopeful guess, do you think there will be a shutdown next week or the week after? >> my best guess is the end is in sight. i hope it will be by the end of next week. i am just sick this has gone on so long. that's why i supported both proposals today and i have co-sponsors a democratic bill to have a three week or two week continuing resolution to reopen government while we continue to negotiate the border security issue. >> senator susan collins, i know you're very busy. thank you for taking time to be on the show. >> thank you, chris. >> let's hope the senator is right about the direction. but hopefully the president hears her on two other points. your hyperbolic talk is not helping the situation and the pain that you're causing is real and it's time that you get that.
10:45 pm
so in terms of the effect, we keep learning more about how deep and dangerous it is. the institutions that keep us safe are being hurt. a security warning on behalf of some of the people that protect the president and his family, next. ♪ -morning. -morning. -what do we got? -keep an eye on that branch. might get windy. have a good shift. fire pit. last use -- 0600. i'd stay close. morning. ♪ get ready to switch. protected by flo. should say, "protected by alan and jamie." -right? -should it? when you bundle home and auto... run, alan! ...you get more than just savings. you get 'round-the-clock protection. ...you get more than just savings. what sore muscles? what with advpounding head? .. advil is... relief that's fast. strength that lasts. you'll ask... what pain? with advil.
10:46 pm
ron! soh really? going on at schwab. thank you clients? well jd power did just rank them highest in investor satisfaction with full service brokerage firms...again. and online equity trades are only $4.95... i mean you can't have low cost and be full service. it's impossible. it's like having your cake and eating it too. ask your broker if they offer award-winning full service and low costs. how am i going to explain this? if you don't like their answer, ask again at schwab. schwab, a modern approach to wealth management. [kno♪king]
10:47 pm
♪ memories. what we deliver by delivering.
10:48 pm
♪ ♪ (clap, clap) olly. a new shut down warning trektly to president trump. from the federal law enforcement association. many of the member conduct
10:49 pm
investigations incolliding tracking terrorists. protecting elected officials including you and your family. they are being put in a compromising position. dozens of agencies including the secret service are included in the association. >> yeah. that says law enforcement officers. people tasked with protecting us and protecting members of the administration. and the president. of course we know secret service is not getting paid. coast guard and on and on. it's just -- can't they get a loan? >> can't they just get loans? >> that speaks to that. this letter that you just read. they're trying to get folks to understand this. the president saying i'll make adjustments and someone like ross saying can't they get loans
10:50 pm
and -- i mean. i was talking to someone who will be on the show. it's a very clarifying moment. and i agree with him. it's a clarifying she had to go to the truth of her own background. that her family, that she knows what real need is. she knows what penny pinching is, that's true about her. >> i don't doubt that about her, but her defense of him, not so good. >> rick santorum. i don't think he gets it. >> i'll see you at the top of the hour and we'll go over this whole let them eat cake, if you can call it that. i think it's actually worse than that. we're going to break it all down. >> see you in a minute. >> all right. so, what do we know? we know the shutdown was wrong.
10:51 pm
we know it's bad politics. we know people are paying the price for the president's promise. those around him keep suggesting, suck it up. get a loan. it's going to be okay, right? wrong. next. ♪[upbeat music]
10:52 pm
10:53 pm
♪now i'm gonna tell my momma ♪that i'm a traveller transitions™ light under control™ transitions™ presents four new colors style colors by transitions™
10:54 pm
10:55 pm
unstopand it's strengthenedting place, the by xfi pods,gateway. which plug in to extend the wifi even farther, past anything that stands in its way. ...well almost anything. leave no room behind with xfi pods. simple. easy. awesome. click or visit a retail store today. she probably didn't say let them eat cake, but this administration kept doubling down on dumb when it comes to
10:56 pm
understanding the pain of this shutdown. potus doesn't get the pain and he doesn't get where people are on this. listen -- >> many of those people that are not getting paid are totally in favor of what we're doing. >> polls prove that that is bs. workers are literally on the streets waiting for food. his commerce secretary said this. >> i don't really understand why, because as i mentioned before the obligations that they would undertake say borrowing from a bank or a credit union are in effect federally guaranteed. so the 30 days of pay that some people will be out is no real reason why they shouldn't be able to get a loan against it. >> what are you talking about? get a loan? do you know what that costs? do you know how hard it is for people to get loans or collateral they need or credit cards?
10:57 pm
you know they charge a fortune for borrowing and it is the reason that many can't get ahead, and you are encouraging that to pay for the shutdown. the president tried to clear it up and made it worse. >> if you have mortgages, the mortgagees and the folks collecting the interest and all of those things, they work along, and that is what is happening in the time, and they have been dealing with people for years and they work with them, and the grocery store, and that is probably what wilbur ross meant. >> who cares. you don't get it. the president said that he would reach out to landlords and make sure they are easy on the shutdown victims. do you see him making good on that? who thinks that the grocery stores and the mortgage banks are going to go easy on the folks. the president is confusing the treatment he got from the banks because he had family millions to prop him up for collateral. the only thing that is preventing him from getting this cause of the shutdown is denying the ignorance and this is what
10:58 pm
one trump daughter in law tried to do today. >> i have a lot of respect for anyone who is a government worker who has not been paid who is trying to make ends meet right now, and the fact that anyone would portray me in any other light, i found very upsetting. >> you are upset. look, i don't go after the family here, but to be clear, the only fake thing here is her denial of what she said which is this. >> it is not fair to you and we all get that, but this is so much bigger than any one person. it is a little bit of pain, but it is going to be for the future of our country. >> the irony. not only is it so much bigger than any one person, but it is only about one person. this is about the president keeping a fugazzi promise. this is over. and no question that the shutdown is hurting the president's leverage with the lawmakers and those in his on party, and you know how some voted against him on the senate
10:59 pm
side. not enough, but more. and most importantly the base, and this is more importantly so make it easy, not paying the people who need to be paid hurts those people. they don't want to be hurt for your wall. they are not okay with it. you are hurting them. you are hurting our safety, our economy. and any chance of ever working with the other side. the game is over. you cannot win by continuing to shutdown the government. delaying the pain of having the back off of your farce of a wall which does not solve the crisis that you created of illegal foot traffic being the source of terror and injury will a lie. delaying the pain by extending the pain on innocent families is wrong. look, trump folk may not be like antoinette, and they may make her blush, but they are acting like monarchs, and that does not work in america. make a deal, and stop the pain.
11:00 pm
the game is over. thank you for watching tonight. cnn tonight with don lemon starts right now. do you remember the rosalyn russell version of auntie maim when gloria epson tells her story and says i stood on the ping-pong balls, and the ups and downs. and this is what it is. they can all just get loans. >> and straight out of thurston howell iii. and where is lovie? >> well, i gave away the open, but i will say it to you in response to what is happening. what are you talking about 800,000 workers and while i feel for their individuals and the hardships, 800,000 workers if they never get their pay which is not the case they will eventually get it, but they never got it. and you are talking about a 30 of the percent of the gdp and it

33 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on