Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  March 14, 2019 11:00pm-12:00am PDT

11:00 pm
it doesn't make what the president says okay. his party may fear not having his favor, but we do not. we will call this out because if we don't, who will? thank you for watching us tonight. "cnn tonight with don lemon" starts right now. >> the last question is a good one, who will? certainly not most people in the administration. his spokespeople. including the person you had on tonight. they just cannot do it. i just don't understand. >> oh, they can. they choose not to. i've never seen kellyanne less effective in defense of the president than she was tonight. i think that's maybe just getting too hard to do. >> so here's the thing, then, this is how i feel, this is what do you want. she never answers a question. she berates you. she's condescending. she uses our network for, to give her talking points. for me, it feels beneath the dignity of this network to have someone on who just constantly
11:01 pm
lies and misconstrues things, and i feel like having someone on like that is giving them a platform that they have not earned. when you come on cnn, you have an obligation to be honest to the american people. you can give your opinion. you can give your take. but it is a privilege to come on this network and speak to the american people. and if you're going to do it, do it directly and honestly. and so all she had to do was answer your question. she didn't -- i -- listen, it's tough because i would -- if i had her on, which i probably wouldn't because i don't think she ever answers a question, give her 10 or 15 seconds, let her answer, she doesn't, i say you're not going to answer it and then move on to the next question. she just doesn't. i don't get anything out of it. it's you two guys arguing back and forth. >> i get the frustration. first of all, let me say this. we've had this discussion before. >> yeah. >> if i held that standard, i'd have very few people on this show. by the way, it's not a coincidence that hannity and maddow have so few guests.
11:02 pm
okay? if you're going to limit the people on your show who only answer the questions and are truthful you're going to be alone a lot. >> but some people will answer your question -- >> some do, many don't, that's why the testing comes in. here's what i think, okay? she is the president's first choice for his defense. i believe he gets that right. that if this who you want to put out to defend you, fine. >> he could defend himself. >> yeah, he could, he knows there's an open invitation on the show. he knows that i have offered all the time we have to offer on topics that are mutually agreed. no matter where he wants to go about whatever it is. he doesn't want to take the opportunity. i understand that. that's his choice. i get why he doesn't want to do it. if this is who he wants to come on, i want my audience to see what he believes his best defense to be. i get the frustration. it's frustrating for me, too. >> i take a different approach. you know that. i take a different approach because i don't think this is about traditional left versus right or ideology.
11:03 pm
this is about truth versus false. this is about facts versus alternative facts. this is -- it's not the same thing, and i think that -- i just feel like we do a disservice when we try to give false equivalence to someone who is clearly, clearly obfuscating and clearly has an agenda to mislead people. i don't think that -- i think as journalists, i choose -- call them out or not give them the opportunity to be able to do that -- >> i choose to call it out in realtime and let people see it for what it is. look, i got to be honest. stylistically, and to a degree, they have pushed the envelope in the way i've never seen before. i'm telling you, don -- >> yes, sir. >> you have to understand this. the reason the american people within the republican party have offered him the forgiveness that they have, is because they don't expect better from anybody because so much lying happens in politics. >> yeah. >> i've had people on during the clinton stuff with the e-mails. they wouldn't answer the questions.
11:04 pm
they would come on, they'd duck. look, it's not unusual. in fact, i would argue that hillary clinton is one of the best evader of questions we ever had, and that was his opponent. >> and look where she is. >> stylistically, it was different. a different deference. a different tone. i get it. i just believe this is who the president wants out there, i want people to see what he considers his best defense. i want them to see what he thinks is appropriate for his main counselor to do on television. >> well -- >> that's the saving grace. >> i understand that. i respect that. i'm giving you how i feel, and -- >> and you are not alone. >> yeah. i know. i know. boy, do i know because whenever it comes on, it's like, my texts are why, why? it's always why, why, why. >> that's all i get now. >> i know. >> any republican i have on is not good enough. any congressman. >> no, i don't get that. no, i don't get that, any republican you have on, there are just some. >> as soon as they defend the president -- >> i don't get that with every republican you have on. >> listen -- >> same thing with democrats, too. it's not just republicans.
11:05 pm
the same thing if a democrat comes on and does it, but mostly it's with some of the folks who come on and not just you. listen, i don't mean to pick on you. this is just a conversation that we have. >> i do it the most. i deserve the criticism. i do it on purpose. i do it intentionally. i do it for what i believe is good reason. i do it the most. i understand i should get the criticism. >> i think people are smart. they get it. they get it. thank you, chris. see you soon. keep trying. keep at it. this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. the president of the united states smacked down by his own party. 12 senate republicans joining democrats to hand him a humiliating rebuke on the national emergency declaration to get the money for his border wall. the president promising in all-caps in a one-word tweet to "veto" the resolution. an administration spokesperson saying in trump fashion they're planning an on-camera event for the president to wield his veto pen maybe as soon as tomorrow. so stay tuned.
11:06 pm
that won't change the fact that he was crossed by his own party. and that's the kind of thing that makes him very unhappy. we've got to talk about this as well. playing the tough guy. and sounding a whole lot like he is threatening violence against people he views as political opponents. he did it again today in an interview with breitbart news suggesting that he has supporters in our police forces, in our military, who could make things very bad. so, the full quote here. okay? so you can see it for yourself. "i have the support of the police. the support of the military. the support of the bikers for trump. i have the tough people, but they don't play it tough until they go to a certain point. and then it would be very, very bad." no mention of democrats in there, even though some will try to spin it that way, saying it was a compliment -- that is a good spin. what he's saying here.
11:07 pm
so he says he has the support of tough people. he says that a certain point, at a certain point, things could get very bad. i would say it's absolutely shocking, but is it really considering the last couple years? it's the way this president thinks. last summer in the months before the midterms, he warned of violence if republicans lost. cnn listened to a recording of what the president said during a dinner with evangelical leaders at the white house and here's a quote. "they will overturn everything that we've done and they will do it quickly and violently. and violently. there violence. when you look at antifa, these are violent people." fine people on both sides. very fine people. we probably shouldn't be shocked. this is a man who suggested his 2nd amendment people, remember, could deal with hillary clinton. >> hillary wants to abolish, essentially abolish, the 2nd amendment.
11:08 pm
by the way, if she gets to pick -- [ booing ] if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. although the 2nd amendment people, maybe there is, i don't know. >> so, you should know that that comment prompted the secret service to have more than one conversation with the trump campaign. and there's what he said to chris cuomo in response to a question about what would happen if he didn't have the 1,237 votes needed to clinch the republican nomination. >> i think you'd have riots. i think you'd have riots. you know, we have -- i'm representing a tremendous, many millions of people. >> a man who encouraged violence by his own supporters during the campaign. >> i love the old days. you know what they used to do to guys like that when they're in a place like this? they'd be carried out on a stretcher, folks. the guards are very gentle with him. he's walking out, big high
11:09 pm
fives, smiling, laughing. i'd like to punch him in the face, i tell you. if you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? seriously. okay. just knock the hell -- i promise you i will pay for the legal fees. i promise. i promise. get him out. try not to hurt him. you do, i'll defend you in court. don't worry about it. part of the problem and part of the reason it takes so long is nobody wants to hurt each other anymore. there are no consequences to protesting anymore. there used to be consequences. i would have been out there fighting, folks. i don't know if i would have done well but i would have -- boom, boom, boom, beat the -- >> how do you defend that, seriously? imagine any other president, let's -- i mean, just any president, democrat or republican, can you imagine
11:10 pm
ronald reagan saying that? can you imagine george w. bush saying that? can you imagine john kennedy saying that? can you imagine barack obama saying that? remember when someone, a heckler at a barack obama event, he said, no, no, no, don't kick him out, leave him alone, he has a right to protest. remember that? class. that's classless. he's the president of the united states. or was running to be president of the united states. how do you defend that? let's not forget that one of the people who knew him best, his longtime fixer michael cohen, said in his capitol hill testimony just last month. watch this. >> when mr. trump turned around early in the campaign and said, i can shoot somebody on 5th avenue and get away with it, i want to be very clear, he's not joking. he's telling you the truth. you don't know him. i do. i sat next to this man for ten years and i watched his back.
11:11 pm
he's sending out the same message that he can do whatever he wants. this is his country. becoming an autocrat. >> and there's this. >> given my experience working for mr. trump, i fear that if he loses the election in 2020 that there will never be a peaceful transition of power. >> and when things don't go his way, big things, little things, this president does what he always does. threatens and insults. he did it today to his newest democratic challenger, beto o'rourke. >> well, i think he's got a lot of hand movement. i've never seen so much hand movement. i said is he crazy or is that just the way he acts? so i've never seen hand movement. i watched him a little while this morning doing, i assume, it was some kind of a news conference and i've actually never seen anything quite like it. study it. i'm sure you'll agree.
11:12 pm
>> crazy, huh? that's pretty ironic. really ironic. questioning somebody's mental fitness on the basis of how they move their hands? or how they talk? >> i don't know what i said. uh, i don't remember. bing, bing, bing. bong, bong. look at what happened in syria. boom, boom, bing. little mouth on him. bing, bing, bing. bing, bing, bing, bing, bing. those tunnels. bing, boom. right under the toilet. bing, boom. stay on point, donald. stay on point. knives, knives. you know, the windmills. boom, boom, boom. bing. that's the end of that windmill. nice little tweet. bing. bing. the road is no longer a straight shot. it's now wa. got to make another turn. anybody can act president.
11:13 pm
>> there's videotape and a tweet for everything. it would be funny if -- actually, it is pretty funny. but seriously, who is donald trump to question anybody else's mental fitness? projecting much? listen to what somebody who's got the inside track in the white house, in the trump white house, says, and this is a quote, "at any level of government in this country, in any party, have we ever seen anything like this? it's beyond politics. it's nuts. it's a disorder. whether or not impeachment is in order, a serious inquiry needs to be made about this man's condition of mind." you know who said that? that was george conway. husband of kellyanne. you got to wonder. is he right? so what message is the president
11:14 pm
sending with his tough talk and insults? what does he think the tough guys and bikers who support him are willing to do that would be very bad? that's the question for ana navarro, rob astorino, rick wilson, next. webut some of us turn outhose dreams...... into action... the bookers. the doers. the 'hit that confirmation button and let's go!'- ers! because bookers know that the perfect place to stay... is right there for the booking. be a booker at booking.com the world's #1 choice for booking accommodations.
11:15 pm
♪ pardon the interruption but this is big! now with t-mobile get the samsung galaxy s10e included with unlimited data for just $40 a month.
11:16 pm
11:17 pm
to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best to make you everybody else... ♪ ♪ means to fight the hardest battle, which any human being can fight and never stop. does this sound dismal? it isn't. ♪ ♪ it's the most wonderful life on earth. ♪ ♪
11:18 pm
president trump in a new interview sounding like he's issuing a vague threat of violence against his political opponents, claiming that he has the police, the military, bikers, those he calls the tough people, on his side. let's discuss now. ana navarro is here, rob astorino. rick wilson, the author of "everything trump touches dies." hello, everyone. good evening to you. so, miss navarro, by the way, congratulations on your marriage. i have to say that. i want to read again exactly what the president is telling breitbart. he says "i can tell you i have the support of the police, support of the military, support of the bikers for trump. i have the tough people but they don't play it tough until they go to a certain point and then it would be very bad, very bad." he, this is a president who has alluded, advocated violence before. does this sound like a threat to you? >> it sounds like the incoherent babbling of a, you know, a man
11:19 pm
who's not all right. i mean, honestly, so many times i think to myself, if i didn't know he doesn't drink, i'd think he was drunk when he was saying some of this stuff because it just makes no sense what he's saying. look, does he issue threats? yes. can there be consequences to crossing donald trump? yes. particularly for a republican. we have seen that practically every republican who dared oppose him or speak against him in any way either had to retire or lost in primaries or lost in generals or died. and even then, he has continued walking over their grave and continued attacking them even after these losses. >> rick wilson, i want to bring you in because you tweeted this. you said, "so donald trump is threatening to unleash state violence, cops, military, and extrajudicial violence, bikers, against his political opponents. cool republican we had. shame about the -- cool republic we had. shame about the new ownership."
11:20 pm
expand on that for me. what do you mean? >> look, this is the kind of thing that normal presidents who are sane and normal presidents who respect and adhere to american tradition and acknowledge institutions, normal conservatives, would never say. we do not in this country use the power of the state against our political enemies in the way that donald trump described. what he is doing is saying -- is saying impeach me or investigate me, and i'm going to have cops or the military attack you and i'm going to have my swag belly biker guys come and kick your ass. and unfortunately, for donald trump, this is a man who loves this language, don, because he's not really an american president. he is a wannabe authoritarian, he's a wannabe thug. he's a guy that looks at dictators and looks at authoritarians and looks at strongmen and warlords around the world and says that's the best role model for america, not traditional small "d"
11:21 pm
democratic, small "r" republican governance. this is a real window into donald trump's character. it's not joking. it's not funny. it's not donald trump being like ha, ha, ha. this is what donald trump actually believes inside and it's a revolting, disgusting, pathetic way to live as an american president. >> so, rob, i want to bring you in, so is he saying that, it sounds like he's saying at some point these groups who support him will stop or may stop showing restraint or should stop showing restraint and that could happen to people who -- >> no, i think what he meant by that, certainly the way i took it, not that they will be used in their uniforms -- the military's not coming out, the cops aren't coming out in their uniforms with their sidearms and doing the work for donald trump like they're doing in venezuela and other places -- that people who support donald trump, no matter what they are, tow truck drivers, nurses, educators, it
11:22 pm
doesn't matter, are going to support him. and we've seen, by the way, we have seen -- i mean, what we're seeing tonight is the one side, but we're not seeing some of the other stuff and the violence and the threats that have come from the other side. and i think what -- >> hold on. >> no, no, i want to finish. what he -- >> i promise i'm going to let you -- >> all right, all right. >> remember, you're talking about the the other side and the violence. hold on. let me say this. if you said if he is talking about military, not in uniform, police not -- >> right. >> that's not what he was talking about. >> why bring them up? >> he's saying my supporters -- >> those folks are just everyday people. >> yes. who actually vote and they go to their kids' games -- >> why not say working class people? >> you could. >> why is he bringing up bikers, why is he bringing up police, why's he bringing up -- why, if he's not talking about them? >> doesn't matter. he's not talking about -- >> it does matter. >> no, it doesn't. he's not talking about them in uniform saying i will command them to go in the streets and shoot everybody who doesn't support me. >> he didn't say nurses, teachers, stockbrokers who also supported donald trump. he didn't say any of that. he said very distinctly, he pointed out three groups.
11:23 pm
>> so? >> so -- >> i'm saying -- >> so what -- >> you're taking the whole threat of violence thing way too far. >> let me tell you why we're not taking it to this whole new level. people like don lemon have received threatening devices through the mail. people here at cnn have received threatening devices from a triggered madman triggered by political speech. because a triggered madman triggered by political speech went into the tree of life synagogue and shot people. because triggered mad people went to charlottesville -- >> police and many other people, correct. not because donald trump told them to do this. >> they got triggered by some of the stuff and we can see, you know, with what was in the writings. we can see with what was in the twitter feeds. we could see that it was a reflection of what he was saying. and you're right, we have to condemn it on both sides. >> right. >> i agree with you. it is imperative that in american politics, we be consistent.
11:24 pm
and that we condemn violence on both sides. i don't like it when maxine waters says something. >> that's right. >> but there's nobody that has the bully pulpit that the president of the united states has. >> now, i cut you off. you were saying, on the other side -- hold on, rick, i'll let you get in. >> i was just saying, the rallies where you played the clips of him, you know, if he's going to throw a tomato, you know, i'll hit him or whatever. what we're not showing are the people outside, the protesters who were getting violent. the anti-trump protesters. the anti-trump protesters -- >> who were outside. >> who were outside the arena harassing people trying to go into the arena to the rally. or in arizona, i remember during the campaign, they were blocking the roads. these are -- >> so violence with violence. those people who were not in the room -- >> no, what i'm saying is that's the other side that's not being discussed. >> the people who he's talking about, the police who are there, shouldn't he leave that to them? >> he did. >> to take care of? >> yes, of course, they should. >> okay. so he's telling them that they should not come out? >> no, i think he was playing to the crowd, obviously.
11:25 pm
>> okay. go ahead, rick. sorry. >> you know, don, i think the real irrelevant portion -- rob frankly did a disservice to the truth just now, is that donald trump didn't say, oh, the cops and the military and the bikers are going to come out and organize and vote for me and going to rally political support to me. he was saying, they're tough, they're physically tough, and if you cross a line, they're going to go. >> yeah, antifa, if you come after us, if you come after my supporters, they should defend themselves. >> this is not about them empowering themselves politically or supporting the president politically, this was about the president saying if you go too far and investigate me or try to impeach me, my people will engage in violence. >> come on. >> he was explicitly not saying, oh, they're going to be a political force. he was, in fact, going over a very bright red line as a president where you say, i'm going to deploy the military and the police against my political opponents by encouraging them to step up and defend me when i am under investigation.
11:26 pm
this is something that as a conservative -- >> when did he say that? >> -- i find utterly repugnant and it's incredibly dangerous to our country, rob. this is -- you can't make -- you should not make excuses for this because it's a horrifying precedent. >> i'm not making excuses. i don't see it the way you see it. you are seeing it in a different point of view than i am. >> can we put the quote back up? can we put the quote back up? >> i've read the quote a hundred times -- >> put the quote back up, please. >> rick just -- rick just described. >> thank you. i'd read it. >> just read that quote. >> rick just described people as i just said. >> just read the quote. >> they're not in uniform. >> "i can tell you i have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the bikers for trump. i have the tough people. but they don't play it tough. until they go to a certain point, then it would be very, very bad." until they're getting pushed, until antifa -- until the anti-trump protesters are going out to the resistance -- >> for god's sake, you know what antifa is? a couple of dozen jackass kids
11:27 pm
in portland -- there's no antifa, it's a fantasy. >> are you kidding me? >> don't embarrass yourself. antifa is a couple dozen jackass kids in portland who wear hoodies. >> seriously? >> they're not a national movement, for god's sake. >> a national movement that includes violence -- >> geez louise. >> i believe in the integrity of the american military, the u.s. military. i believe in the integrity of most, not all, police officers. and i think that if a madman who happens to be president gives some sort of ridiculous order, they're not going to follow it. will there be triggered madmen? yes. we've already seen that. >> hold that thought. hold your thoughts, everyone. we'll be right back. i'm a dancer, i live in new york city. casting directors will send me a video of choreography and say, "if you can be here in a couple hours, the job is yours." and then i need my phone to work while i'm on the subway, or streaming the video they sent me while i learn the choreography as best i can.
11:28 pm
they key is to hold the bar up top and not the pole, so that you have full range of motion. it's a little kooky. (chuckles) (vo) there for you when it matters most. unlimited on the best network now comes with apple music on us. get a free galaxy s10e when you buy the new galaxy s10. only on verizon. welcome to fowler, indiana. one of the windiest places in america. and home to three bp wind farms. in the off-chance the wind ever stops blowing here... the lights can keep on shining.
11:29 pm
thanks to our natural gas. a smart partner to renewable energy. it's always ready when needed. or... not. at bp, we see possibilities everywhere. to help the world keep advancing. take prilosec otc and take control of heartburn. so you don't have to stash antacids here... here... or, here. kick your antacid habit with prilosec otc. one pill a day, 24 hours, zero heartburn.
11:30 pm
the latest inisn't just a store.ty it's a save more with a new kind of wireless network store. it's a look what your wifi can do now store. a get your questions answered by awesome experts store. it's a now there's one store that connects your life like never before store. the xfinity store is here. and it's simple, easy, awesome.
11:31 pm
senate republicans sending a message to the president that they may not always follow his lead. 12 of them voting with democrats to pass a resolution overturning the national emergency declaration. even though there aren't enough votes to override a promised veto. back with me, ana navarro, rob astorino, and rick wilson. rick, let me ask you about this. like i said, you know, there were 12 republicans who bucked the president and joined demes to block the president's emergency declaration disorder. are we going to see republicans standing up to trump more, you think? >> well, don, i think there are two factors here. this was a particularly egregious and unconstitutional act by the president. it was a very big lift for a lot of traditional conservatives to say, this is cool, and it was a very big risk factor for a lot of them who can see into the future where a democratic president will simply say, well, gun control's an emergency, i'm declaring an emergency, that's
11:32 pm
it. climate change or whatever. and so they're very concerned that we set a terrible precedent by doing this. but i don't think you're going to see this as a moment where the dam truly breaks. i think we're going to have to be deeper into the 2020 election cycle where a lot of these guys recognize that in their states, the risk of a primary from a trump person is less of a possible disqualifier than following donald trump where his popularity is hovering in places like colorado where it's in the low 30s. a guy like cory gardner is going to really have to keep an eye out for opportunities to open up some distance between himself and the president. you're going to see that particularly with the guys in 2020 as we go further down the track, pending externalities that come around, donald trump on videotape getting a bag of money from putin or whatever. we'll see how that shakes out. most of them are going to be very slow to break off completely because they suffer under fomt, fear of mean tweets.
11:33 pm
>> you know, the republicans who -- most of it was not about policy, it was just about the precedent that an emergency declaration would set. >> right. >> so, listen, president trump, ana, is vowing to veto this. white house officials say it may be a public event, maybe even as early as tomorrow. here's what the president tweeted, right. he said "i look forward to vetoing the just-passed democrat-inspired resolution which would open borders while increasing crime, drugs, and trafficking in our country. i thank all of the strong republicans who voted to support border security and our desperately needed wall." so he thanks the republicans. i'm wondering if it's a shot against the bow against anyone who crossed him there. >> he's doing two things. one, it is a shot across the bow but also trying to change the narrative. he does not like the narrative we're talking about right now. he does not like the fact that 12 republicans defied his purity test, defied his loyalty test and voted against something that is so dear and near to his heart in which he has made the center of his campaign.
11:34 pm
look, i think is a crack in the armor. i think it is a glimmer of hope. many of those republicans that voted on that, they got to do it. they've got to do it because they got to stand for principles and convictions and because they've got to have some level of consistency. if they criticize barack obama, many of them, for doing executive actions that bypassed the legislative branch, how, you know, how can they live with themselves and look in the mirror and not see hypocrites on the other side if they go along with it when it's somebody of their side? >> have you been following this for the last few years? >> yes, and i have been saying, you know, you hypocrites, i remember when you used to criticize the exact same thing when barack obama was doing it. >> right. >> i'm glad that people -- some republicans do it because they can. mike lee, mitt romney, are more popular in utah than donald trump is. if you're mitt romney, are you going to get there at this stage in your life being a statesman? dammit, vote your conscience. i'm glad he did.
11:35 pm
>> let me ask you this. rick brings up a good point. >> no, he doesn't. >> you're the right person to respond to it. >> he said it was unprecedented. we had 60 of these. >> hold on. >> 60 of these. >> when we talks about the possibility of re-election, people being concerned about going up against the president for the possibility. look at thom tillis, right? he wrote this scathing op-ed in "the washington post" against the president's emergency declaration. then he succumbed to white house pressure. today he switched his vote to support the president. he's up for re-election next year. i mean, does that say it all? >> first of all, obama had one veto, one veto override, period. so it always happens. the president in power, his party basically stays in line. this is not unprecedented. since carter, we've had 60 of these. 30 are still on the book. this arguably is a better use of a national emergency than some of the other ones, including bush taking money from t.a.r.p.,
11:36 pm
obama taking money to prop up from the national treasury, to prop up obamacare and give to it the insurance companies -- >> listen, to your point -- >> everyone's saying it's unconstitutional. >> why did 12 republicans cross the line -- >> for the wrong reason, by the way. i think -- look, do i think that the president should go this way? i'm iffy on it. do i think he has the right? absolutely. that right was given to him by congress. that's unquestionable. he can do this. there's not a question. whether he should, we can have that argument. >> okay. >> but they can't say, congress gave you this power, now don't use it. >> let's just say there's a president o'rourke or a president harris or a president sanders or a president -- >> make it really scary for republicans. president ocasio-cortez. >> they're all scary, they're all scary. >> and they said, climate change is a national emergency, we're going to -- gun control is a national emergency. what would you -- honest, be honest with you, what would you be saying? >> i would say, no, that is not
11:37 pm
true. right now, look, you can't argue that we don't have a crisis at the border. obama said we had a crisis. he was right. >> you can't -- >> we have had a massive crisis. >> you can argue that -- >> that's not the issue. >> there's no crisis at the border. >> can he or can he not do this? he can by law. >> we said that. he can by law. >> rick said it's unprecedented and it's unconstitutional. it's not unconstitutional. >> doesn't mean that he can't do it. >> hold on, rick. hold on. hold on. i want to make this -- >> congress gave him that authority. >> you don't think we have a crisis when it comes to guns? >> we have an issue with mental illness and many other things with guns. absolutely. is it a crisis? we have crises situations but also have a 2nd amendment which i know you and others -- >> we also have a constitution. >> -- want to cut in half. we do have a constitution. in our constitution, congress gave him the authority. why was it okay for every other president -- >> we already made that point. >> constitutionality is going to
11:38 pm
be judged upon by the courts. >> they don't want to get into it. >> nobody wanted to cut the 2nd amendment in half. didn't you just say that? >> come on, i was teasing. >> how many guns did obama -- >> listen, if you cut the 2nd amendment in half, you're left with the 1st amendment. that's my favorite, anyway. freedom of the press. >> quick last word. please. please. i'm over time. >> last word. listen, rob, the problem here isn't the declaration of the emergency. that is legal. the problem is the declaration of the emergency seeks to abrogate article 1 saying congress must allocate and appropriate the money and decide how it is spent -- >> no, that's not true. >> congressional appropriations. it is true, rob. >> it's not true. >> he's trying to shortcut article 1 -- >> the authority under national emergency to take money -- >> you guys -- i'll pass along your contact information. you guys can argue. we'll be right back. exactly. alright, call td ameritrade's trade desk. they can help gut-check your strategies and answer all your toughest questions. call for a strategy gut check with td ameritrade. ♪
11:39 pm
11:40 pm
they have businesses to grow customers to care for lives to get home to they use stamps.com print discounted postage for any letter any package
11:41 pm
any time right from your computer all the amazing services of the post office only cheaper get our special tv offer a 4-week trial plus postage and a digital scale go to stamps.com/tv and never go to the post office again!
11:42 pm
in christchurch, ensuring
11:43 pm
the police have everything they need from an operational perspective to secure the areas and be assured that everyone who should be in custody is. acknowledging that they have moved extremely quickly to help those individuals already in custody. of course we will continue to look at the details around the suspects and every element of this attack. but tonight it's about securing the safety of others. >> please clarify how many gunmen or gunwomen there are in this attack? >> at this stage three have been arrested. we have no reason to suspect at this same there were others but we obviously haven't ruled that out at this stage. >> they used firearms? >> i cannot give you 100% assurance of that. but certainly all three are connected. >> will you be getting any additional security or will there be additional security at the parliament? >> obviously i'm one of the members of parliament that always has a security detail with me.
11:44 pm
obviously the moment that we were informed of this situation, there was a slightly heightened presence. but i expect that soon that will probably resume back to my normal presence. >> so from the previous descripti description, secret offenders -- >> look, i can't give specifics around who was directly involved at each mosque. nor am i sure at this stage that that's detail that we're sharing. do feel free to put the question to the commissioner, though. >> can i just clarify. >> please. >> you might have covered this before. police didn't hit these people or hit them [ inaudible ] -- >> that is my understanding. [ inaudible question ] >> you know, at this stage,
11:45 pm
advice has been given to those who would usually wish to worship at their local mosque, that for the time being they're being asked to just not to congregate there. but in time my hope would be that the outpouring of compassion and support that i know new zealanders will want to show, show it to them. show it to the members of the community who sought to worship safely and who were the victims of this attack today. and i know new zealanders will want to do that. [ inaudible question ] >> my understanding that it is a relatively short period of time. since last entry into new zealand. again, i don't want to get into too many details around that because that's still an emerging picture. [ inaudible question ] >> what i'm say is they weren't on a watch list.
11:46 pm
again, i'm cautious around how much more i say given that we have individuals in custody and i don't want to give. >> i'll look to reconvene and give you any additional insights i can tomorrow. we'll be keeping everyone updated. my plan is to get to christchurch as early as i can and as soon as the police are happy for me to do so. >> [ inaudible ] do you know if it's connected in any way? >> no, i certainly can't confirm that, that's nothing i've been briefed on. we'll make sure the commissioner is able to give you information as soon as possible. thank you, everyone. >> welcome now to viewers here in the united states and around the world. i'm george howell following the breaking news from christchurch, new zealand. a terror attack that happened in the early afternoon there, and we just heard from the prime minister of that nation jucinda
11:47 pm
arden confirming 40 people died in multiple mass shootings that happened at two different mosques in the city of christchurch. 20 people seriously injured. on the map you can see exactly where the al nuur mosque on dean's avenue, a smaller mosque on linwood avenue. police say at least three people are in custody in connection with these attacks. authorities say they have stopped and disarmed several vehicles with ieds, improvised explosive devices. one gunman was wearing a body camera as he opened fire at a mosque, livestreaming the whole thing, the shooting on social media. facebook and twitter have taken down that disgusting video. a bus carrying bangladesh's cricket team pulled up at the time the shooting was happening at one mosque. video shows them here walking away from the scene unhurt. let's bring in steve moore. steve has been with us in los angeles. steve is a cnn law enforcement analyst and retired supervisory fbi special agent.
11:48 pm
steve, the prime minister bringing up the issue of how these people were able to get access to these weapons. >> yeah, that's going to be one of the major threads of this investigation is where these weapons came from. again, there are guns available in the world. i think it's not unlikely that they came from out of the country, but that doesn't mean there aren't guns in the country. there's nothing that we as mankind have been able to legislate out of existence that i know of in history. and guns are unfortunately going to be available. if somebody wants to hurt somebody with a specific weapon, they will do what it takes to get that weapon. and it could be that these guns came from outside of new zealand, but they were available.
11:49 pm
>> let's talk about what we know at this point. again, we understand three people have been arrested in connection with this particular set of mass shootings. where does it go from here? certainly these two -- these three people will be key for investigators to learn the motives, learn how many other people may have been involved. >> absolutely. and what you're going to find is these were likely the most involved, or you know, it's possible they're the only ones. i wouldn't bet much on that if i were the lead investigator at this point, because it just seems that there was so much planning, so much likely casing. probably some run-throughs. it is hard for me to understand how they could have pulled this off without help. it's not impossible. and it could be just these four. but i would expect others to be looked at, possibly more arrests in this. because there are people who may not be major contributors to
11:50 pm
this, but they might have been aware of it, they might have provided just small amounts of support. >> steve, one other question just quickly. the death toll, we understand, 40 people who were killed. you know, i how slow that process will be to identify the dead and make sure the next of kin is notified accurately. >> yeah, that's going to be very hard and you can't make mistakes in this, and it's going to tax them because they don't have experience in large mass casualties. but i believe they'll do their best on this. >> steve moore, thank you so much for your time there in los angeles. we'll stay in touch with you. again, we're following the breaking news, this set of mass shootings in christchurch, new zealand. 40 people have been killed. stay with us. wale be right back after the break.
11:51 pm
11:52 pm
pardon the interruption but this is big! now with t-mobile get the samsung galaxy s10e included with unlimited data for just $40 a month. at least 40 people were killed in those two attacks, one on the mosque on dean's avenue on one side of it city and another on linwood avenue at a mosque there. new zealand's prime minister also says that three people have been arrested in connection with
11:53 pm
this attack, but police caution there could still be others at large. and the danger might not be over. including cars rigged with ieds, explosive devices that one of the gunman allegedly was wearing a body camera and live streamed the whole thing. social media sites have taken it down. one attacker is believed to have also posted a long anti-immigrant manifesto giving whatever explanations that person has to say. a bus carrying bangladesh's cricket team pulled up at the mosque during the shooting, and you can see here video of them walking away from that scene unhurt. also new zealand's prime minister spoke moments ago and gave details about the shooting and condemned them as an assault on everything people in new zealand hold dear. here's part of what she had to say. >> our thoughts and our prayers are with those who have been impacted today. >> christchurch was the home of these victims.
11:54 pm
for many this may not have been the place they were born. in fact, for many new zealand was the choice, the place they actively came to and committed themselves to, the place they were raising their families, where they were part of communities they loved and who loved them. it was a place many came for it its safety. a place where they were free to practice their culture and their religion. for those of you who are watching at home tonight and questioning how this could have happened here, we, new zealand, we were not a target because we are a safe harbor for those who hate. we were not chosen for this act of violence because we condone racism, we're we're an enclave for extremism. we were chosen for the very facts that we are none of these things, because we represent
11:55 pm
diversity, kindness, compassion, a home for those who share our values, refuge for those who need it. and those values, i can assure you, will not and cannot be shaken by this attack. >> on the phone now we have radio new zealand editor graham acton following this story from wellington. and if you could give us a sense what is the situation in wellington -- in christchurch. >> the strg pacentral part of t is still locked down. the suburban part is returning to normal. lock down has been removed from the schools and the university. just a central part of the city is still heavy police presence and also the presence of the new zealand fas as well as as police. but there could be one or
11:56 pm
possibly even more than one person involved in this crime today still at large in the city somewhere. flights in christchurch and around the country have been canceled. >> and as far as the investigation goes, as far as looking for any other possible actors who might have been involved, that continues on at this hour, correct? >> that's right, yes. there's still armed police everywhere in central christchurch. and i don't know any new information about who may they be chasing. in fact, we don't have any new information about who they actually have in custody except for one man who's an australian who was the man detained at the mosque after the shootings occurred. >> we heard from the prime minister earlier. what stood out to you with the information that she shared, again, confirming that at least 40 people had been killed?
11:57 pm
>> reporter: yes, 40 people, a team 10 at the linwood mosque. the last figure was nine a couple of hours ago and it's gone to 40 people dead, 48 people at the hospital. she made some very good points about how new zealand society operates and how new zealand views minorities and people that are coming to this country as refugees and immigrants in general. >> graham acton, thank you again for being with us. updating our viewers in the u.s. and around the world according to the prime minister of new zealand, 40 people killed in a terror attack that happened in christchurch, new zealand. 30 people killed at one mosque, ten people killed at another mosque. this being described as a terror attack and three people are in
11:58 pm
custody at this point and being questioned by investigators. and we understand that none of the three were on any watch lists at this point. this according to the prime minister. you see the two mosques there on the map. one on dean's avenue, the other on linwood avenue. and 20 people seriously injured. that's where we are right now. we will have more news, more updates on this on the other side of this break as we continue following this breaking story. standby. bookers book now and ask their boss later.. [do you want breakfast or no?] [definitely breakfast.] be a booker at booking.com itreat them all as if, they are hot and energized. stay away from any downed wire,
11:59 pm
call 911 and call pg&e right after so we can both respond out and keep the public safe. pg&e wants you to plan ahead by mapping out escape routes and preparing a go kit, in case you need to get out quickly. for more information on how to be prepared and keep your family safe, visit pge.com/safety.
12:00 am
>> announcer: this is cnn breaking news. it is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack. >> we continue following the breaking news in new zealand. welcome to viewers in the u.s. and around the world. i'm george howell. >> thank you for being with us. this has been going on for hours now. the prime minister that that nation you just saw there at least 40 people are dead in shootings at two mosques in the city of christchurch. and authorities say they stopped and disarmed at least two vehicles with improvised explosive devices,

43 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on