Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  March 29, 2019 12:00am-1:00am PDT

12:00 am
also his supporters because if it is, indeed, true that -- and, you know, the charges have been dropped, but if what the mayor says is true, the police superintendent, and the prosecutors, if it is indeed true, then he gave -- jussie smollett gave ammunition to the this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. the city of chicago going after president to be able to call "empire" actor jussie smollett that behavior out, brought the demanding he pay more than $130,000 to cover the cost of attention on people of color, the investigation into his brought the attention on this is maga country, he is alleged to claims that he was the victim of a hate crime. smollett was charged with have said, and so on. staging the attack against himself, but prosecutors dropped all the charges against him on tuesday. he may have inadvertently given the president the ammunition and why would anybody be surprised, stunning just about everyone, including mayor rahm emanuel. scott, the president is talking about this and it's a pure play to the base? is there anything wrong with >> given that he doesn't feel any sense of contrition and that? remorse, my recommendation is when he writes the check in the memo section, he can put the >> but remember, jussie word "i'm accountable" for the hoax. smollett -- >> even president trump is condemning the move by you can't actually give donald trump ammunition. prosecutors to drop the case saying this tonight at a donald trump is desperately searching for bullets on the
12:01 am
floor every time he wakes up in the morning. political rally in michigan. he's just using jussie smollett >> he said he was attacked by maga country. as today's bullet. so i think we -- we are allowing this narrative to be created that jussie's so much bigger did you ever hear that one? than he is. [ booing ] maybe the only time i've ever in fact, no, he's just useful at agreed with the mayor of the moment. chicago. i think you're right saying he's useful but not because of this small act. even if he did it, the stupidness of trying to do this maybe. that's a terrible situation. that's an embarrassment, not for whatever your reasons are and by diverting resources and only to chicago, that is an embarrassment to our country. that's a big thing because those resources can be used for other >> so let's discuss now. laura coates is here, scott jennings, charles blow will be along in a moment. things, but other than diverting resources, there actually is no other victim in this crime if it was a crime other than jussie. so thank you all for joining us. when we get charles, we'll bring him right in. laura, you know, the president we are allowing them to use this says that he is -- he's asked the fbi and the doj to review this case. the way they want to use it, is this something that they would even look into? which is to pump him up to make >> well, i'm sure that, frankly, him a bigger person in the it's probably a low priority zeitgeist than he is, and by -- given the number and the volume of cases they are looking at once you pump him up, you can say, this represents all of the that actually do involve hate attacks on us and not the crimes, do involve violent
12:02 am
offenses, particularly those that use interstate commerce or attacks by us. there are actually legitimate other means to do so. real documented attacks by the reason i point out that last people who support trump -- >> okay. >> and there's also videotape of trump telling people to attack part there is the one area on the hook here that may bring people. >> okay. similar attention is similar to what happens in mob cases when >> jussie didn't do that and jussie couldn't do that. they use the mail to engage in crimes as part of an enterprise >> i've got to get scott in because we're running out of time. scott, i want to give you the of some sort. last word. listen, i'm analyzing the strategy, and if someone hands that's normally the hook where you, you know, a talking point federal prosecutors and federal or hands you the bullets, i agents look at and say was there some basis for the feds as don't see any reason why he wouldn't use it. opposed to a state or city-level prosecutor to get involved? i turn my attention to the maybe it's out of character for letter sent the week before the the president of the united states, but that's what this alleged attack went down as part president of the united states of the continuing crime or continuing allegation of a is like. that's what he's about. go on, scott. crime. that may be the hook. last words, please. >> well, not only should he be it also may be, of course, using it, i think it's right for looking into the practices of the investigators -- of the actual prosecutors. if there's some connection or was there something about a him to be using it because they political connection that led were trying to set up a situation here to make it look them to make a decision that like his supporters had done something terrible. but also, he's in full agreement with people in both parties otherwise they would not have here. you have democrats in chicago had this person not had ties who agree with trump, and so perhaps to communications with a it's also a moment where he's former chief of staff, for the not by himself, you know, making an issue out of something. he's actually got a whole lot of former first lady michelle o'bam supporters.
12:03 am
if i might, don, i do disagree with charles on one point. this was a big deal when it happened. i know smollett is not the most o. obama or a member of jussie smollett's family? >> yeah, that is if -- if the famous person in the world, but letter was sent by jussie smollett. >> then -- right. >> so, but the president is the he is well known, and when this happened, it was a huge story in head of the executive branch. he's demanding an investigation the media when the narrative while making his opinion on jussie smollett known. started to come out that it was is that appropriate? trump supporters that had attacked this guy in chicago. it wasn't smollett's fame that made it a big deal. >> well, he certainly has been doing a number of things where this became an enormous story he said he wanted to have and so it was famous when it investigations about people who happened all over the country and then of course when it seem to be his political nemeses became a hoax, it got even more and whatnot. there is an irony here i'm sure famous. so i recognize he's not the you recognize, don, that the biggest star, but you have to president of the united states is now asking for an investigation to confirm whether or not someone is lying during a course of an investigation. or somehow impeding the ability to find out the truth. admit, this story was global almost instantly because of the narrative that a lot of people that is very stunning given his wanted to believe but turned track record about a very out to be a hoax. >> yeah, that's all we have time for. well-known investigation where i have other stuff to get to. he himself was a part of. thank you so much. so i am surprised by the irony the president's congressional allies are on the attack against one of his there. having said that, yes, it is the harshest critics, congressman adam schiff, who chairs the prerogative of the president to house intel committee. say that he'd like his executive
12:04 am
branch, under the justice the nine republican members of department that falls under it, that committee calling on schiff to resign but he's definitely not backing down. his fiery response, next. ♪ to be able to investigate it if there is some sort of corruption involved in the prosecutor's office about this notion. also they oversee hate crimes. so of course hate crimes is part of one of the federal crimes and they definitely want to be able to ensure whether or not somebody is trying to exploit that particular legislation for their own good. ♪ of course, this is all based on an assumption right now that the prosecutor's office seems to belie in many ways, though they haven't confirmed he is t-mobile will do the math for you. innocent. they have also dismissed the right now, when you join t-mobile, you get two lines of unlimited with two of the latest phones included charges. for just one hundred bucks a month. it will be telling to find out what basis and hook the federal agents actually do want to pursue this case. >> charles blow is here. is that for me? we'll bring him in in just a moment and as we do that, scott, mhm i want to ask you this question. aaaah! the president called the smollett case an embarrassment to our country. why do you think he's getting nooooo... nooooo... nooooo... involved in this specific case? quick, the quicker picker upper! >> i think the president is bounty picks up messes quicker trying to speak on behalf of all of his supporters. and is 2x more absorbent than the leading ordinary brand. i mean, smollett, according to the mayor, according to the (son loudly clears throat) (mom and dad laugh) bounty, the quicker picker upper. police, and according to what the prosecutors were recently
12:05 am
arguing, essentially tried to on a budget? try bounty essentials. frame the president's supporters in a hoax here and make it seem like that the president's political movement was responsible for a hate crime. and so i have -- i'm not surprised this has caught the president's attention. it's, frankly, captivated the country and i think he's going to keep talking about it because not only was it an attempt, in his mind, to sort of frame his political movement, it's happening in the city of chicago which, of course, for republicans, you know, that's where republicans believe that home of corruption is in our country. so it has all the elements of something that would captivate republican attention and certainly catch the president's eye. >> charles, welcome. "the atlantic's" adam serwer said trump really likes the jussie smollett case because for him and his base it fits into the trumpian fox news narrative that racism against minorities is fake but racism against white people is real. what do you think of that?
12:06 am
>> i guess there may be some truth to that. it is striking to me -- it's not necessarily striking to me that he'd weigh in. people -- presidents weigh in on cultural issues. even those involving police. obama did it with the gates incident. >> trayvon. >> he did it with trayvon martin, he did it also with kanye west, giving his opinion on it. there is a different quality on how trump tends to weigh in on it, which is to put his thumb on the scale and actually demand an action of punishment for people. right? it wasn't just he weighed in on the kneeling football players, he literally was trying to get them fired. right? using the office to punish. right? and here, again, it's the same sort of thing. it's not that he's weighing in on the topic. he's trying to use the office to punish, and it does -- it does, you know, raise a couple of eyebrows that it is often people
12:07 am
who are black or brown or who are the subjects of this for this particular president, and i do believe that it becomes a tool. scott was saying that, you know, part of it is that he weighs in because it's chicago. and that's the seat of corruption. not only that, though, he has used chicago as an emblem of black pathology. right? that -- during the campaign, he continuously referenced chicago as the place that was broken, that, you know, when he would say, black people, what do you even in my own home, i had my own designated space to smoke. have to lose? black people can't walk down the if i think about it, it really was like i was punishing myself. street. he was talking about chicago, right? a friend of mine that said, that became a reflection of a lot of people in america's way why wouldn't you just try the juul. of putting onto black shoulders and so i went out and i bought one. a pathology of violence, a the idea of going back to smoking... i couldn't even imagine doing that. pathology of lying, a pathology of insecurity, and all of that i don't think anyone including myself thought became wrapped up in chicago. that i could switch.
12:08 am
>> okay. >> and so i think we have to analyze that and look at that through that lens as well as through the lens of him saying, i'm just defending the people the nine republicans on the who support me. >> okay. house intelligence committee are calling on democratic chair adam listen. here's -- this is the very interesting part about this schiff to resign, accusing him because, perhaps, this is where of knowingly promoting false information about the russia investigation. but schiff, well, he isn't backing down, rebutting republican accusations in a committee hearing this morning. his fiery response, it lays out point by point every action he calls corrupt and evidence of collusion. so we're going to play it for you, all four minutes of it. watch. >> your actions both past and present are incompatible with your duty as chairman of this committee, which alone in the house of representatives has the obligation and authority to provide effective oversight of the u.s. intelligence community. as such, we have no faith in your ability to discharge your duties in a manner consistent with your constitutional responsibility, and urge your immediate resignation as chairman of the committee.
12:09 am
mr. chairman, this letter is signed by all nine members of the republican side of the house -- of the committee and i ask unanimous consent it be entered into the record of today's hearing. i yield back. >> without objection. i'm going to turn to our witnesses who are the subject of the hearing today, but before i do, and as you have chosen instead of to addressing the hearing to simply attack me consistent with the president's attacks, i do want to respond in this way. my colleagues may think it's okay that the russians offered dirt on the democratic candidate for president as part of what was described as the russian government's effort to help the trump campaign. you might think that's okay. my colleagues might think it's okay that when that was offered to the son of the president who had a pivotal role in the campaign, that the president's son did not call the fbi. he did not adamantly refuse that
12:10 am
foreign help. no, instead that son said that he would love the help of the russians. you might think it's okay that he took that meeting. you might think it's okay that paul manafort, the campaign chair, someone with great experience in running campaigns, also took that meeting. you might think it's okay that the president's son-in-law also took that meeting. you might think it's okay that they concealed it from the public. you might think it's okay that their only disappointment after that meeting was that the dirt they received on hillary clinton wasn't better. you might think that's okay. you might think it's okay that when it was discovered a year later that they lied about that meeting and said it was about adoptions. you might think it's okay that the president is reported to have helped dictate that lie. you might think that's okay. i don't. you might think it's okay that the campaign chairman of a
12:11 am
presidential campaign would offer information about that campaign to a russian oligarch in exchange for money or debt forgiveness. you might think that's okay. i don't. you might think it's okay that that campaign chairman offered polling data, campaign polling data to someone linked to russian intelligence. i don't think that's okay. you might think it's okay that the president himself called on russia to hack his opponent's e-mails if they were listening. you might think it's okay that later that day, in fact, the russians attempted to hack a server affiliated with that campaign. i don't think that's okay. you might think that it's okay that the president's son-in-law sought to establish a secret back channel of communications with the russians through a russian diplomatic facility. i don't think that's okay. you might think it's okay that
12:12 am
an associate of the president made direct contact with the gru through guccifer 2 and wikileaks and considered -- that is considered a hostile intelligence agency. you might think that it's okay a senior campaign official was instructed to reach that associate and find out what that hostile intelligence agency had to say in terms of dirt on his opponent. you might think it's okay that the national security adviser designate secretly conferred with a russian ambassador about undermining u.s. sanctions and you might think it's okay he lied about it to the fbi. you might say that's all okay. you might say that's just what you need to do to win. but i don't think it's okay. >> joining me now to discuss, keith boykin, alice stewart. good evening.
12:13 am
>> hi, don. >> bet they never saw that coming. that was a remarkable exchange. what did you -- i mean, that's what we call, you know, that's called a read. >> yeah. i mean, that really backfired on the republicans. they came in thinking that they had him, calling for his resignation, and he turned the tables on them. he made them look ridiculous. in fact, after looking at that, clearly those nine republicans are the ones who should resign from office, not adam schiff. in starting with devin nunes and mike conaway and will hurd, all nine of those people who signed onto that letter have the nerve to attack adam schiff for doing the job that they should have been doing for the past two years. that makes no sense. all we have is 4 pages, 64 words from robert mueller himself, out of 150,000 words in a 300-plus page document. that's nothing. and they're going on and making conclusions off of that. they should be outraged and ashamed. >> alice, i want you to weigh in. but i want to play something. one of the president's favorite
12:14 am
tv judges actually took schiff's side here. fox news's andrew napolitano. watch this. this is earlier this afternoon. >> i think congressman schiff is correct, in that report will be evidence of the existence of a conspiracy. not enough evidence to prove the existence beyond a reasonable doubt. in that report will be evidence of obstruction of justice, interfering with an fbi investigation for a personal gain. but not enough evidence to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. congressman schiff wants to dwell on that. >> the president's not going to like that. give me your response. >> i think he's probably the only one on that network that's saying something along those lines. look, i think all americans will agree with a lot of what schiff said, was that it is not okay that the russians interfered in our election. it is not okay that the russians tried to impact the outcome of this election. but at the end of the day we can
12:15 am
acknowledge that just because they acted in a way that was to benefit president trump it does not mean they did so at the request of president trump and the campaign. and while yes, it was ignorant and yes, it was incompetent to try and take this meeting and accept this information, it was not criminal and based on what we do know of the mueller report there was not evidence that they conspired with the russians or that they coordinated with the russians. we will have to wait and see when we get more information. i think -- >> if we get more information, alice. nobody's even -- the white house doesn't seem like they want to release the mueller report in the first place. >> sure they do. >> how are we supposed to draw conclusions if we can't see the 300-plus-page report? >> we'll see a lot more but there's information that -- >> we will? how do you know? >> they do want to release it. there's grand jury information that needs to be protected. there's information on people that were not prosecuted that needs to be protected. they're going to redact that and then put out as much as they
12:16 am
can. i think it's a smart -- >> nobody said that except you. who in the justice department say they're going to release the report? we didn't even know how long it was today and we only have an estimate of 300-plus. we don't know the exact number. people have been talking about it for the past three days. but nobody's actually seen the report except for -- >> quick, alice then i got to go. >> attorney general barr says he will release more when he gets the information redacted. look, this was a wide show of unity by the gop members of the house intel committee to -- >> wise you said? >> -- to send a message -- >> you say why? >> wise. w-i-s-e. >> no, it was -- >> it was a way to show a sign of unity that -- >> okay. >> -- schiff can't go out and say there's direct -- >> it shows them to be sycophants in defense of donald trump's corruption and that's -- >> i got to go, guys. i got to go. >> to say there's evidence of collusion, that's not true. there may be when we see the report, but right now there's not evidence of that. >> you can't say it's not true until you see the report, either, alice. >> the report doesn't say there's no evidence, they say it simply did not -- they did not meet -- let me --
12:17 am
>> and that's what barr says the report says. >> did not establish that members of the trump campaign. they didn't say there was no evidence. listen, i have to go. here's the thing i think -- when kenneth starr released his report, which was 400 and-some-odd pages, there's the report and then the one that didn't -- you know, without all the information that people shouldn't have. two days later. the report is longer than this report. two days later the public had it. so there's definitely something different about that. i don't see anything wrong with trying to get to the bottom of it. thank you both. we'll be right back. >> thanks, don.
12:18 am
12:19 am
12:20 am
12:21 am
president trump holding a political rally in grand rapids, michigan tonight and telling cheering supporters that he'll use the courts to strike down the affordable care act. >> we have a chance of killing obamacare. we almost did it, but somebody unfortunately surprised us with thumbs down. the republican party will become the party of great health care. it's good. it's important. >> okay. there's at least one big problem with that, and it has republicans on capitol hill, quite frankly, scratching their heads. trump administration has not presented congress with a replacement health care plan if
12:22 am
obamacare does go away. that's one of the things i want to talk with, discuss with john kasich, the former republican governor of ohio. thank you for joining us, mr. kasich. listen, president trump has said that he wants republicans to be the party of health care, but they don't appear to have any plan to deliver on that. what's going -- can you explain what's going on here? >> no. i really can't, don, because by supporting this court ruling not only are we going to upset everything in terms of health care, but people -- that whole provision that protects pre-existing conditions will be gone and, look, also, if you were to just get rid of the program we have now, we'd have about 20 million americans who would lose health care. i don't -- i can't figure this out. >> why not just improve what we have? >> well, that's what -- that's what should happen. you know, john hickenlooper, democrat candidate for president, brian sandoval, former governor of nevada, and myself, we presented a plan that we thought could improve the system.
12:23 am
so you know, we've gotten to the point where if you're for obamacare, you say okay, it's perfect, and if you're against it you say we ought to abolish it. there's a middle ground, fix it. because if you don't fix it, people lose health care because of pre-existing conditions. we take away the benefit of medicaid expansion where we have 600,000 people in ohio who now have health care that didn't have it before. a low uninsured rate now in ohio. and that money went to help people who were drug addicted, mentally ill. in fact, went people got that kind of coverage, actually encouraged them to work and it doesn't make any sense what we're talking about here. >> well -- >> i think republicans are very nervous on capitol hill. it's not a winning issue for republicans. >> i've got a lot of things i want to get to here, so listen, the last time republicans tried to get rid of obamacare, it cost them control of the house. i mean, with huge midterm losses. is this -- do you think this is a winning strategy heading into 2020? is this not a gift for democrats?
12:24 am
>> i don't know if it's a gift. it depends what the democrats are going to say. >> in messaging i'm saying going in. >> well, yeah, i mean, look, don, i have been saying all along, heading up to the midterms, that this issue of health care was so big. it was a big issue out here in the race for governor. and the republican governor had to go stake out a position, you know, late in the game in order to save his chances to be able to win. when you start telling people you're going to take their health care away, they're not going to vote for you, so i don't understand what's going on here. i mean, maybe you explain it to me because i can't figure it out. >> wait, i had you on -- >> it's not a winning issue. >> i had you on for this. let's talk about that -- >> what i wonder -- >> he's riding high on the results of the mueller report. why would he trample all over that by bringing up this minefield like health care, governor? >> maybe if it didn't have obama's name on it or something. i don't know. now, the system needs to be fixed.
12:25 am
>> right. >> there are ways in which you can lower the cost of it. there are ways in which you can improve medicaid. these things are all necessary, but there are improvements that can be made and going to have to be made on a bipartisan basis. you know, when i was reading some of the stories about what senators are saying and you think we don't know why they're doing it, it doesn't seem like they know why he's doing it. they almost look like they're, you know, kind of shellshocked over the idea that we're going to go back into this health care debate again. >> i think you hit the nail on the head. it's got a name on it like obama that he doesn't like. so earlier this evening the president announced after a huge public outcry that he was restoring funding for the special olympics in the administration's latest budget. listen to this. >> the special olympics will be funded. i just told my people, i want to fund the special olympics, and i've just authorized a funding of the special olympics. i've been to the special olympics. i think it's incredible, and i
12:26 am
just authorized a funding. i heard about it this morning. i have overridden my people. we're funding the special olympics. >> here i come -- i'm doing this. he said he heard about this this morning but the secretary of education betsy devos has spent days defending the cut and it was trump's own budget. is this a classic case of his administration, they cause an issue and then he comes in and says i'm the only one who can save it, save the day? >> well, you know, don, as the president, you've got to give the president, you know, fair play here. he doesn't know all the specifics in the budget. i guarantee you what happened is there were a lot of people who could get to him who said, what the heck is going on here, and you can't do this because the special olympics is almost -- it's kind of part of our country right now because it gives people a chance to be able to rise. it gives people a chance to be able to be mainstream. it brings the community in where the community's part of the effort to work with folk the who
12:27 am
have these disabilities. it is such an enormously successful program and the reason why i felt so strongly about it is because i happen to run a program in ohio, the department of developmental disabilities, and in that program we always made sure it was funded. in fact, even in tough budget times we made sure it got funded because if you can integrate people, if you can show them the respect that they deserve, and if they can begin to live their dreams, i mean, what could be more important than doing that for somebody else? >> john kasich, i always love talking to you. i wish we had more time. unfortunately, we are out. thank you very much, sir. i appreciate it, see you soon. >> don, thank you, god bless. >> you, too. the "washington post" coming out with some detailed reporting showing how donald trump inflated his net worth to impress lenders and journalists. the question is, did any of this break the law? choosing my car insurance was the easiest decision ever.
12:28 am
i switched to geico and saved hundreds. that's a win. but it's not the only reason i switched. geico's a company i can trust, with over 75 years of great savings and service. ♪ now that's a win-win. switch to geico. it's a win-win. i got this mountain bike for only $11. dealdash.com, the fair and honest bidding site. an ipad worth $505, was sold for less than $24; a playstation 4 for
12:29 am
less than $16; and a schultz 4k television for less than $2. i won these bluetooth headphones for $20. i got these three suitcases for less than $40. and shipping is always free. go to dealdash.com right now and see how much you can save. these folks, they don't have time to go to the post office they have businesses to grow customers to care for lives to get home to they use stamps.com print discounted postage for any letter any package any time right from your computer all the amazing services of the post office only cheaper get our special tv offer a 4-week trial plus postage and a digital scale go to stamps.com/tv and never go to the post office again!
12:30 am
try my sourdough patty melt combo with fries and a drink for just $4.99. it's the perfect remedy for the uncomfortable things in life... like flying, the dentist ...and guys named ronald. i have my reasons. try my $4.99 sourdough patty melt combo today.
12:31 am
comes with 100% beef, grilled onions, and two types of melty cheese on toasted sourdough, plus fries and a drink. it's comfort food for the uncomfortable things in life. yep, this guy knows what i'm talking about. try my $4.99 sourdough patty melt combo. new details about how president trump reportedly inflated his net worth by exaggerating the value of certain assets. the "washington post" obtained a trump financial statement from 2011 where he claimed his golf course in southern california was zoned for 55 homes. it was actually zoned for 31. he also claimed his vineyard in charlottesville has 2,000 acres, even though it only had 1,200. according to his statement, he claimed trump tower in new york city is 68 stories, but in
12:32 am
reality it's 58 stories. michael d'antonio is here to discuss. he's the author of "the truth about trump." also david cay johnston is here. author of "it's even worse than you think: what the trump administration is doing to america." good evening, gentlemen. look, barring whether it's legal or not, i was just going to say are we surprised -- should we be surprised by this? >> this is standard operating procedure for donald trump. >> okay. i gave you the ones, the assets that he reportedly inflated. you stay trump and michael cohen actually showed you similar statements? >> yeah. they trotted out a number of different statements on different occasions. and by 2014, when i was dealing with them, everyone knew these statements were worthless. they were just practically random numbers put down on sheets of paper with a huge inflated net worth. but by this time, two banks had caught trump inflating his net worth, north fork bank and deutsche bank. he'd been caught claiming all kinds of crazy ownership
12:33 am
schemes. he said he owned a building in waikiki when he didn't own any of it. this was just the normal thing that he does. >> david, you say this story lines up with your investigative work into trump. explain that. >> well, back in 1990 i got donald trump's net worth statement. showed he was not a billionaire. at a time when he was claiming on the same day he was worth 3 billion and 5 billion. which shows you he makes it up. he went around and called me a liar for months until his bankers put his net worth statement in, showed negative $295 million. and this story in the "washington post" has some new details, but it simply adds to the fact we have established that donald just makes it up. he just cannot tell the truth. when i got his tax return from two years ago that showed $150 million in income, donald went on tucker carlson and said he had $250 million of income. when you could look at the document. >> listen, he's a real estate developer. they inflate their wealth for
12:34 am
projects, right? that happens. so did he break the law, david? >> you can do puffery. this is the most beautiful building in the world. but when you falsify and produce a bank statement or a financial statement the banks make loans on, there's bank fraud, mail fraud, wire fraud, possibly tax fraud, and investor fraud. >> yeah. who else could be implicated in this? his children, anybody else? >> well, i know in some of these schemes his children were involved, especially claiming that units in buildings had been sold. they would say this development is 90% sold, when it was really only 70% sold. that is fraud. and allen weisselberg, the chief accountant for the trump organization, prepared these statements. so he's now cooperating with prosecutors. i say good for him because otherwise he'd be in a whole lot of trouble himself. >> and there are more investigations to come and we're going to see the outcomes of that. thank you very much, gentlemen,
12:35 am
i appreciate it. a man does his time in prison, rebuilds his life and becomes a productive member of society only to be told he has to go back to prison over 12 years later because of some clerical mistake. that man joins me next. and you're going to -- what you'll hear is shocking. really. it's slippery. nooooo... noooo... nooooo... yeeeesss... quick, the quicker picker upper! bounty picks up messes quicker and is 2x more absorbent than the leading ordinary brand. hey look, i got it. bounty, the quicker picker upper. ♪
12:36 am
♪ t-mobile will do the math for you. right now, when you join t-mobile, you get two lines of unlimited with two of the latest phones included for just one hundred bucks a month.
12:37 am
12:38 am
12:39 am
demetrius anderson has been a free man and by all accounts a law-abiding citizen for more than 12 years now. that's after spending three years in prison for passing counterfeit currency in connecticut. last week, federal marshals pounded on his door while he was in the shower saying he still needed to serve 16 months on more charges. all this time he thought he'd served his sentences concurrently. but it's the state that made the mistake. tonight, demetrius anderson is fighting for his freedom. i want to discuss it with him and his attorney, mike dolan. thank you so much, gentlemen, for coming. this is a really bizarre story. you've been free now for almost 13 years, so tell us in those 13 years, you've been rebuilding your life. >> correct. >> how so? >> by coming back into society. doing right.
12:40 am
parole. finding gainful employment. staying out of trouble. founded a church home community that i'm involved with. currently active in my church, in my community. and just living life. just rebuilding, living life and doing what i'm supposed to do. >> you have suffered tremendous tragedy even after coming out. turning your life around, all those things. your brother murdered your parents? >> yes. >> right? >> yes. >> that's just horrific. >> yes. >> how are you dealing with that? >> i've been getting therapy because deep trauma, victims of homicide, support that i just deal with day to day to get me through and it's -- >> even people who haven't gone through what you've gone through would have fallen apart. >> of course. >> how are you getting through it? what are you -- >> my faith. i'm strong in my faith. i couldn't have did it without faith. trusting on the lord. >> when you look back at all that you've accomplished, the
12:41 am
thought of going back in -- >> it's scary. i'm scared. it's bleak, it's dark. i can't imagine it. i don't think i can handle it considering what i'm going through. >> so listen, let's talk about, mike, let's bring you in, talk about the law here and how the way things usually go because the department of corrections, don't they typically do a check to see if there are any outstanding holes, if there are any additional warrants? before releasing an inmate. he thought he was finished. >> yes. he -- that is correct. the department of corrections will do a warrant check, a detainer check. we presume that that was done back in 2006. he was released on parole. he served his time out on parole. found employment and began to live in the community and a
12:42 am
law-abiding, productive life. >> so, what took 13 years to discover? because they're saying this is a clerical error. u.s. marshals before they let you out check, but what took 13 years to discover this? >> apparently the marshals in the eastern district of pennsylvania did an audit. i'm aware that the audits are done regularly in connecticut every three months and they never have the need to go back that far. so the marshals in connecticut were surprised that anybody would even check, would go back that far to check. you know, i can't speak for why they went back that far or why this wasn't caught earlier, but that's the information that was relayed to us. >> how typical or atypical is this? is this extraordinary that this is happening? >> in my over 20 years of practice, i've never experienced anything like this. >> i want to bring in cnn's van jones. van, thank you for joining this conversation. van first brought this case to our attention, by the way, on social media. this really smacks of a lot of what people say is wrong with the criminal justice system,
12:43 am
van, right? you've been working hard on reform. what else can be done to help demetrius? >> well, let me just point out how absurd this is. why do we put people in prison? we call it the department of corrections because we're supposed to correct people. you're talking about somebody who for 13 years almost has not, as best we can tell, had an overdue library book. this is somebody who's doing better than me and you in life. this is somebody who is gainfully employed, this is somebody who's a member of a church community, who's doing all the things we want people to do. why would you then go back in the back of the sock drawer to find some clerical error to destroy this man's life? it makes no sense at all. where is the grace? where is the mercy? where is the justice in destroying this man's life? it makes no sense. meanwhile, you see big
12:44 am
celebrities and, frankly, people in high positions getting away with all kind of crazy stuff. i do not understand why. we do not have elected officials, the president of the united states, judges and everybody else lining up say this should not be happening in america. if, listen, there should be a statute of limitations on a clerical error. to destroy somebody's life, this guy is doing great. we should be parading this guy around the country as an example to other people in trouble, not destroying his life. it's wrong. >> okay, van, you mentioned the president. >> yes. >> listen, you've been very vocal and very present about working with the white house on criminal justice reform. you worked out to the white house or jared kushner you've been working with? >> listen, i'm going to do every single thing i can to get justice in this case because it's just wrong. listen, the president could do something and if he's watching, he should do something. if he's not watching, i'm going to reach out to him. i'm going to reach out to everybody in the white house.
12:45 am
i'm going to reach out to everybody in congress. everybody -- you can't do stuff like this. how can -- what hope does somebody have now when they come home and they do the right thing and they parole, you know how hard it is to get off of parole without any violations? it's -- you can be late ten minutes for a meeting and your parole is violated. it's almost impossible to do what this man has done. and now you're going to have people out there right now who think they're free and still not free? when do you get do be free in america? when do you get to be free if this man is not free? i'm upset about this. >> you lost much of your family, so much of your family. you lost your freedom. you could lose it again. and go back. there's a bench warrant out for your arrest now, correct? >> that is -- >> there's a warrant out for your arrest? >> correct. >> there's a hearing, right, he has to go to. is he going to go to that hearing?
12:46 am
>> he's going to go to that hearing although the bench warrant seems to indicate the judge may not even want to have a hearing. the judge -- the bench warrant suggests that he is to report directly to philadelphia detention center or needs to be transported directly there. >> so what are you going to do, do you know? >> well, i will contact the bureau of prisons and i'm going to see if they will honor the time that he has served. there's a doctrine known as credit for time at liberty. in addition, demetrius anticipates filing his request to the president for commutation of his sentence. >> have you heard -- do you want the president to commute your sentence? >> yes, correct. >> have you made that request? >> i'm submitting it as soon as we're done with this interview. >> what do you say to him? >> please help me for this mistake that's taken place.
12:47 am
and i'm at the mercy of the president right now to help fix this. i still have faith in the judicial system that they can rectify it. >> well, thank you. thank you. please keep us updated. van, thank you as well. thanks for bringing this to our attention. we will follow this story. >> thank you, van. thank you, van, thank you, don. >> absolutely. >> we're going to fight hard. >> thank you so much. thank you, van. >> and thank you for watching. our coverage continues. (client's voice) remember that degree you got in taxation?
12:48 am
(danny) of course you don't because you didn't! your job isn't doing hard work... ...it's making them do hard work... ...and getting paid for it. (vo) snap and sort your expenses to save over $4,600 at tax time. quickbooks. backing you. oh! oh! oh! ♪ ozempic®! ♪ (announcer) people with type 2 diabetes are excited about the potential of once-weekly ozempic®. in a study with ozempic®, a majority of adults lowered their blood sugar and reached an a1c of less than seven and maintained it. oh! under seven? and you may lose weight. in the same one-year study,
12:49 am
adults lost on average up to 12 pounds. oh! up to 12 pounds? a two-year study showed that ozempic® does not increase the risk of major cardiovascular events like heart attack, stroke, or death. oh! no increased risk? ♪ oh, oh, oh, ozempic®! ♪ ozempic® should not be the first medicine for treating diabetes, or for people with type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. do not share needles or pens. don't reuse needles. do not take ozempic® if you have a personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer, multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2, or if you are allergic to ozempic®. stop taking ozempic® and get medical help right away if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, severe stomach pain, itching, rash, or trouble breathing. serious side effects may happen, including pancreatitis. tell your doctor if you have diabetic retinopathy or vision changes. taking ozempic® with a sulfonylurea or insulin may increase the risk for low blood sugar. common side effects are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, and constipation. some side effects can lead to dehydration,
12:50 am
which may worsen kidney problems. i discovered the potential with ozempic®. ♪ oh! oh! oh! ozempic®! ♪ ask your healthcare provider if ozempic® is right for you.
12:51 am
a book that you're ready to share with the world? get published now, call for your free publisher kit today! . breaking overnight, the strongest sign yet the same
12:52 am
system failed in two deadly boeing crashes, we're live in ethiopia. the democrats have to now decide whether they will continue to defrauding the public with ridiculous [ bleep ]. >> president trump in full attack mode in his first rally since he was cleared of collusion. >> i have overridden my people, we're funding the special
12:53 am
12:54 am
12:55 am
12:56 am
12:57 am
12:58 am
12:59 am
1:00 am

13 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on