Skip to main content

tv   Cuomo Prime Time  CNN  May 21, 2019 10:00pm-11:00pm PDT

10:00 pm
tequila bottles in the dressing room. the private jet he wanted gassed up for a 2:00 a.m. trip to an offshore carl's junior. or for that matter any evidence of voter fraud on the ridiculist. >> i want to hand it over to chris. >> remove the glasses. >> do you want them? >> holy moly. it doesn't get any better than that. i agree. i'll talk to you later. thank you. i'm chris cuomo. welcome to "primetime." new fuel for the case of abuse of power against the president. breaking news, a secret irs memo contradicts the secretary of the treasury on whether or not the president has to hand over his tax returns. another abuse of power. will it sway democrats that they need to do more than they are now? tomorrow's meeting of the
10:01 pm
democratic minds could be a tipping point. we have a player in the mix here tonight, she is making a move and she is going to tell you about it here first. the judiciary panel served more subpoenas today. this time to hope hicks and another crucial witness to the president's actions. the note taker that may have written it all down. significance? answers from congresswoman sheila jackson lee. and the latest poll is out and the central focus is on the most centrist candidate, joe biden. is there a message in the numbers? we have a former front runner with keen advice ahead. what do you say? let's get after it. so the treasury secretary said congress could not have the president's taxes because their legal opinion was that congress lacked a legit oversight reason. you have to remember that language. it is not from the draft memo that came from the irs directly to the treasury.
10:02 pm
that one contradicts steve mnuchin's justification for handing them over. a ten-page memo says this. the law does not allow the secretary to exercise discretion in disclosing the information provided the statutory conditions are met and there are no real conditions in this statute. take a look. so what does this mean to a democrat in a position of power about what needs to happen next? let's bring in judiciary committee member sheila jackson lee. congresswoman, thank you for joining us. >> my pleasure to be with you. >> another night, another new piece of information that shows the distinction between what we're seeing from the administration and what experts told the administration to put out. this time it's the letter or the memo dictating why the irs would or would not comply with congress' request for the
10:03 pm
president's taxes. the treasury secretary put it on you. he said this is about overreach and not oversight and that's why you can't have it. we have to litigate. the draft memo says something different. it says we must comply unless the president exercises executive privilege. they did not. >> they're operating under a very old and specific law and they can request the tax returns of the president of the united states of america. i think the irs just said we needed to abide by the law unless there's an exception which is executive privilege which they didn't find had been asked for or requested.
10:04 pm
or that was in play. i know this is a sensitive issue, the president's tax returns. but it's getting to be the story of the administration. so, it seems to have little weight because it is a denial on every offer or request that congress is making. >> he believes he can win with the strategy on pushing back to you. he will win and it will be over. the question is what should your party and what should your colleagues in the congress do now? you have an announcement to make. what is it? >> tomorrow, we'll introduce a resolution of investigation and this is an important difference about where people think we are. a resolution of investigation allows the house of representatives to vote on the resolution to direct the judiciary committee to investigate and to exercise its authority ultimately if it so decides as the agent of the
10:05 pm
house of representatives to move forward on article one section 2 clause 5. >> how does that change the state of play? >> it allows us to say, the house of representatives has allowed you to act. it doesn't include the ultimate act that may be the articles of impeachment, but that's the decision of the whole house of representatives. the whole house will vote to investigate. >> but the reality is, you have a vocal minority within your party saying you guys are weak, and this is a time to be strong. is this step enough to satisfy?
10:06 pm
>> it allows us to educate before we activate. it allows us to present hearings in a fuller manner. it says the house of representatives directed the judiciary committee to exercise its authority of investigations and then ultimately to exercise that authority under article 1 section 2 clause 5. it is not a half step. it is a step that moves us forward and frankly it provides the educational platform for the people of the united states having been through impeachment before i realize and the speaker has said often and people know it's a political process when the american people said we want to change this order. we don't want this misconduct. >> two more quick things on the news. hope hicks and annie donaldson are being brought in. everybody knows who hope is. the spokesperson for donaldson was the chief of staff
10:07 pm
and supposedly took notes about interactions with the president. what do you think you're going to get out of hope hicks that justifies the drama that's going to come with the request? >> these two witnesses and their notes will provide enhanced, if you will, understanding of where director mueller was going and where he wanted the congress to go. and that is to finish the investigation and determine if there was misconduct and move to the next level as i indicated under the constitution or decide not. these individuals will contribute to that understanding and there may be various obstacles placed in front of their presentation. we do think that some of the witnesses, these two in particular, may be open to further conversation. on the question of getting the facts to the congress, to the committee, and to the american people. we want to give them a chance to do that and give congress a chance to get to the facts. director mueller left us a road map. it should be shameful if we did not proceed on that road map.
10:08 pm
>> walk and chew gum, everybody is saying that. something makes me question that. i'm not blaming cbp or the people keeping us safe on the border but they're dying because they're overwhelmed and they don't have the resources and congress is doing nothing. the president has the emergency declaration and you can argue whether or not he should have it. he's not using it. but similarly on the democrat side of the ball, in 2014 everybody ran down to the border. when this first happened, everybody ran down. you got five kids dead now and i'm not hearing the democrats doing anything right now to help it stop. why, if you can walk and chew gum? >> well, first of all, let me thank you, chris, for the passion i have seen night after night. i have been down to the border several times. both through 2018 and 2019.
10:09 pm
recently we had a hearing on this dastardly act of separating children from their families and yes, we are really engaged with the department of homeland security on this question of children dying. i'm very sad to hear it because we worked hard to get medical facilities down there. they were not the best. the coast guard came down with doctors. >> they said you didn't make it a priority. that congress didn't do what they needed to do for them. >> i am outraged. i have talked to cbp. i'm not blaming them either. i've been in the facilities. this has to stop. what i'd say to you, you have an outraged member looking to find opportunities for funding which should have happened and better resources for the cbp. this little one either died in the hospital or en route to the hospital if i'm not mistaken but more importantly, that child was not alive. you have my commitment, chris. i'm outraged. there are many things that congress is focusing on. this should be a priority.
10:10 pm
so i thank you for the challenge. we have to do something. >> congresswoman, i appreciate you coming on the show. especially on this last question being down there in texas. you're always welcome here to argue what matters and your opinion to the american people. thank you. >> thank you for having me. >> look, there is no excuse to have kids dying on our watch. everyone knows it and yet no one is doing anything about it. that will not be ignored on this show. however, the focus is impeachment tonight. to be fair, it's not an easy call. let's go through the if, thens, the plus-minuses. we'll do it in digestible form next and once we have the factors, let's have a great debate about the best path with two women who exemplify the democratic division. i'm working to keep the fire going for another 150 years.
10:11 pm
♪ for beauty that begins with nature. ♪ to make connections of a different kind. at adp we're designing a better way to work, so you can achieve what you're working for. and relief from symptoms caused feel the clarity of non-drowsy claritin by over 200 indoor and outdoor allergens. like those from buddy.
10:12 pm
because stuffed animals are clearly no substitute for real ones. feel the clarity. and live claritin clear. ...on a john deere 1 series tractor.. because changing your attachments... whether it's for this job... this job... or even this job... should be as easy as... changing your plans. nothing runs like a deere. run with us. search john deere 1 series for more. get your 1 series for just $99 a month at your john deere dealer. hey, who are you? oh, hey jeff, i'm a car thief... what?! i'm here to steal your car because, well, that's my job. what? what?? what?! (laughing) what?? what?! what?! [crash] what?! haha, it happens. and if you've got cut-rate car insurance, paying for this could feel like getting robbed twice. so get allstate...
10:13 pm
and be better protected from mayhem... like me. ♪
10:14 pm
to be or not to be. that is the question for democrats on impeachment. leadership says slow. >> i don't have to have a position. i'm waiting for my first one. we want to see what we can get respectfully. >> but the vocal minority says let's go. >> choosing to not impeach when there's an abundance of evidence could also be construed as politically motivated as well. we can't be scared of elections. we need to uphold the rule of law. >> let's take you through the plus/minuses. impeachment has upsides. like what? it could be the best way to get you the information that you deserve so you can decide if there were an actionable abuse of power by the president. impeachment may also accelerate
10:15 pm
some of the legal battles this president is throwing up all over the place as challenges. the a.g. was held in contempt. don mcgahn may be next but on the other hand, democrats just got a big decision against the president's tax prep people pretty quickly which leads many democrats to say this. >> our process is working well. let's just keep riding it out. we'll win it. >> the grind takes time. even if he's right, win, when? in time for the election? no guarantee. and if they swing they have to deliver. take a look at these polls. 69% of democrats want impeachment but what they really want they likely won't get, which is removal. so going through the effort and not delivering could cost them with this group and many beyond. takes us to the second poll.
10:16 pm
when you talk all americans, that please impeach number drops to 37%. you're seeing the split. that split is why you're hearing stuff like this. >> the president of the united states of america needs to be impeached. >> we don't need impeachment at all to be able to move forward with the investigation. >> you have exposure and legal advantages. pluses. minuses, you have to look at the political reality. it's an unknown. and there is a risk of making the bully in this, this president, look like a victim if you overreach in the name of oversight like he keeps saying. >> this never happened to any other president. they're trying to get a redo. trying to get a do-over. >> maybe that's what he used to call it in school. he called it a do-over but that's not what it is. it's a redo. it's a different standard. this is not about beyond a reasonable doubt.
10:17 pm
it's about beyond what the country wants in a president. gross abuse of power that disgusts enough of you to influence lawmakers. it doesn't put this president behind bars and nothing will but it could bar a second term if people see what key folks have to say. cautionary note. managing expectations. first example on that is the mueller report. too many on the left fueled too high of expectations for the outcome. the president has been playing to advantage with no collusion and no obstruction. here is the good news for democrats. he also overplayed once again and lied once again. here's what we know. there's plenty of attempted collusion and actual wrongdoing that they may care about that in report. but the question is the best way to get the answer to you. however that may not be about a how but about a who. i suggest this.
10:18 pm
if you get mr. mueller on the stand and he says what he found, how he found it and why he explained it the way he did, the path forward from there will be clear. let's put it up to the political minds. should democrats take the risk or would they be playing right into the president's hand if they make the impeachment move? that's the great debate and it's next. my time is thin, but so is my lawn. now there's scotts thick'r lawn 3-in-1 solution. with a soil improver! seed! and fertilizer to feed! now yard time is our time. this is a scotts yard. you wouldn't accept from any one else. why accept it from your allergy pills? flonase relieves your worst symptoms including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. flonase helps block 6 key inflammatory substances. most pills only block one. flonase.
10:19 pm
billions of problems. morning breath? garlic breath? stinky breath? there's a therabreath for you. therabreath fresh breath oral rinse instantly fights all types of bad breath and works for 24 hours. so you can... breathe easy. there's therabreath at walmart. what! she's zip lining with little jon? it's lil jon. even he knows that. thanks, captain obvious. don't hate-like their trip, book yours with hotels.com and get rewarded basically everywhere. hotels.com. be there. do that. get rewarded. welcome to our lounge. enjoy your stay. thanks very much. ♪ ♪
10:20 pm
♪ ♪ find calm in over 1,000 airport lounges worldwide. it's another way we've got your back. the business platinum card from american express. don't do business without it. yesss, i'm doing it all. the water. the exercise. the fiber. month after month, and i still have belly pain and recurring constipation. so i asked my doctor what else i could do, and i said yesss to linzess. linzess treats adults with ibs with constipation or chronic constipation. linzess is not a laxative, it works differently. it helps relieve belly pain and lets you have more frequent and complete bowel movements. do not give linzess to children less than 6, and it should not be given to children 6 to less than 18, it may harm them. do not take linzess if you have a bowel blockage.
10:21 pm
get immediate help if you develop unusual or severe stomach pain, especially with bloody or black stools. the most common side effect is diarrhea, sometimes severe. if it's severe, stop taking linzess and call your doctor right away. other side effects include gas, stomach area pain, and swelling. i'm still doing it all. the water. the exercise. the fiber. and i said yesss to linzess for help with belly pain and recurring constipation. ask your doctor.
10:22 pm
the latest inisn't just a store.ty it's a save more with a new kind of wireless network store. it's a look what your wifi can do now store. a get your questions answered by awesome experts store. it's a now there's one store that connects your life like never before store. the xfinity store is here. and it's simple, easy, awesome. are you under pressure to
10:23 pm
impeach the president from your caucus? >> no. >> listen, you ask nancy pelosi if she is under pressure, she's going to say no. if you ask her about division, he's going to reject the premise. she's a pro at this. that said the speaker has the reins in hand for now. but tensions get higher as the president's tactics get lower and lower. so is impeaching the strong move or strong and wrong? the start of tonight's great debate among two prominent democrats. angela and karen. great to have you both. angela, what's the move? people are all over the place. i have sheila jackson lee tonight that says i'm going for an instrument of investigation and have the whole house vote on it. that's the move. that will send a message. you have other members of congress saying time to impeach. you have a vocal minority, you have the centrist, the speaker, where are you people? >> first of all, not you people tonight, chris. >> you democrats.
10:24 pm
don't try to sidetrack me. >> not you people. >> don't try to sidetrack me. go ahead. what's the right move? >> speaking of sidetrack, i feel like in a lot of ways folks are. she was just on talking about a resolution of an investigation. i respect what she is doing. she's trying to move the ball down the field but it's redundant. a resolution of investigation gives the same power to congressional committees to engage in oversight. to determine whether or not there was any wrongdoing and issue subpoenas. all of that they have through powers of the constitution. so i understand, it may give the moderates recover but that's redundant. what is appealing to me and some of the others is the voters that said we want you to control the house because we need somebody to serve as checks and balances to donald trump. we want to make sure that he doesn't get away with high crimes and misdemeanors. buzzwords for impeachment so we'd like for you to consider this thing called an impeachment inquiry. that's all it is.
10:25 pm
when you look at what had to pass the full house for nixon and clinton, here's what it said, to investigate fully and completely whether sufficient grounds exist for the house of representatives to exercise its constitutional powers to impeach. that is it. we're talking about giving them the power they need if they were to go to the courts, which is where donald trump says he wants to legislate now, in the courts. the supreme court has said they give broad sweeping authority and there's a broadened scope for investigative powers for congress. that's not the same. that's why they have not had to show up. this only gives them the power they need to do this. i don't mean to filibuster. >> it's all right. i know the tricks, i have you on because of the tricks. >> these are the facts. i want people to know. >> you should. that's why i let you put it out there. it's important to the audience and thank you. karen, the analytical aspect of
10:26 pm
the information is once you go, you're gone. once you go down the road of impeachment you better deliver because what the 67% of the people in your party really want is removal and if you can't remove, not only do you let them down but you give the president a leg up and he says they came after me and they lost. they couldn't get me. >> so i think we need to make the case. what you saw today certainly with don mcgahn not showing up was an increasing number of members across the spectrum in the democratic party moving down the field to say we'll probably end up at impeachment and i heard others say i'm getting there. i think that's very important. here's the problem. you have to bring the public along. think about watergate, right? i did a little research on watergate. at the beginning of the inquiry it was at 19%. people thinking impeachment. after you had democrats in
10:27 pm
congress making their case. people like barbara jordan making her case on the floor of the house of representatives, you got to over 50%. >> evidence of a felony. >> okay, but my point is you still have to make your case and most americans are not following this the way that we are. most americans are hearing bits and pieces. they don't actually understand the differences between the powers so -- and by the way, part of the problem is i think democrats kind of got caught flat footed here when the barr summary first came out because he got to control the narrative coming out of the gate. >> exactly. >> they got caught flat footed when they allowed three senators to vote for someone that they had to know was going to do this. that was the time for that. let me reframe it though. i hear you both on this. let's get from macro to micro here. my consideration is this. we seem to be hyperfocused on how to do this. is the better route who? do you think they should go all in on getting mueller? because once mr. mueller testifies, the path forward will be clear.
10:28 pm
either the american people will be like, oh, that's why he put it the way he put it. oh, i need to know more, or they're going to be like, that's what i thought. just kind of was confused and mixed and political or whatever and it's over. why not just focus on getting him and letting the rest take care of itself? >> i'm so glad that you asked. in killing the filibuster moment you killed this particular moment. if there is a broader scope of an impeachment inquiry they're more likely to get mueller. that is a broadcasting moment, you just talked about this in the last segment where everyone can hear for themselves within the 400-page report that they're either too lazy or hadn't had access or the time to read. that's the time to do that. the only way i believe democrats are going to get this information, the people in control of the house, is if there is an impeachment inquiry. the congressman said earlier that he's not able to get subpoenas even responded to.
10:29 pm
they're rebuffing all of this because they can, until this goes to the supreme court. there's case law. >> i hear you, there's right. there's case law, there is precedent on that. mcgahn didn't show up today. that's one data point. they got the court decision that says you got to turn over the financial records. but what i'm suggesting is, you have to make the case. by the way, the more the white house stonewalls the greater the case actually is to have to go to impeachment to your point because then you can say we tried to get the information. they stonewalled. this is the only way americans that we can actually get you the information. my point is just you have to -- having also lived through whitewater, by the way, you have to make the case and bring people along because they're not following it the way we are and you also, by the way, have to connect the case to the fact
10:30 pm
that, what you were talking about before, chris, kids are dying on the border. why? republicans in congress are too busy protecting this president instead of doing their job. >> democrats didn't give them what they asked for. >> i respectfully disagree. >> it's true. >> you still have to connect it to -- >> they gave them half the money they asked for. bring it on, those are the facts. one after another. go ahead. >> i also want to point out that the white house counsel sent a letter on may 15th saying the white house wasn't going to comply. we have enough evidence. we have a redacted mueller report that they refuse to take out the redactions so people can chew on that. we have a letter from the white house counsel saying the white house will not be providing any documents or information associated -- >> then you have to fight it out in the court. >> that's my whole point but i'm saying that we have moment after moment, case after case, no tax returns.
10:31 pm
they're not going to comply. >> but if you do open the impeachment proceeding. >> impeachment inquiry. >> as long as the word is in there it's going to be a political cost. karen, last point to you. >> my other point is, you have to also engage people outside of washington. we need to do a better job raising the temperature on this issue to give democrats cover. it's not just about putting pressure on nancy pelosi. it's about putting pressure on the republicans and more americans have to understand why this matters. so we have more work to do, i think, in order to make this a more palatable decision but i agree we're going to end up there. >> very good. we agree on that. >> i don't know but i appreciate this and i know this much, my audience is better for hearing your opinions and what's behind them tonight. >> thank you. >> angela, karen, thank you both. i'll have you both back soon. again, appreciate it. now wait until you see the new numbers in this presidential poll about where the democrats are moving and why.
10:32 pm
beto o'rourke, he was shiny and new. he went from shiny and new to having to renew. does he have the stuff to be president? let's see how he handles tonight's cnn presidential town hall, just minutes away in the all-important iowa. like i said, howard dean is here tonight to look at what his prospects are and the wisdom that is in this brand new poll that shows growing problems facing many of the big names in the democratic field and a consistent choice and rationale, next.
10:33 pm
behr presents: a job well done. ♪ painting be done... and stay done. ♪
10:34 pm
behr, ranked #1 in customer satisfaction with interior paints. ♪ right now get incredible savings on behr premium paints & stains. exclusively at the home depot. it's nice. ♪ you got this! ♪ woo! ♪ ♪ ♪
10:35 pm
10:36 pm
we have brand new numbers on the democratic nomination. according to the quinnipiac university, it's all about joe biden. take a look at the numbers. besting bernie sanders by 20 points. bad news in there for the elusive sanders and booker and kamala and warren and also for
10:37 pm
beto o'rourke. buttigieg slipped a little bit but from where he is coming from he's still in sweet corn right now. he, beto o'rourke, had a lot of promise. look at his numbers now. tonight he has a unique opportunity. he's going to be making his presidential case during a town hall with our dana bash right after this. 10:00 p.m. eastern. so that is going to be a big moment. who better to give perspective on the numbers and what they say about this moment in time when the democrats have to figure out their best foot forward on impeachment than howard dean, also headed up the party after that. welcome back to "primetime," sir. >> thanks, chris. >> good to have you you. >> nice to be on again. no filibustering this time. >> no, you're always welcome. what is the story there? >> too early. too early. >> understood. >> joe has momentum. he has 100% name recognition. we have a long way to go.
10:38 pm
the voters have a long history of wanting interesting, new people. i wouldn't count them out and it's likely room for one or two people never in the polls to come forward at some point during the campaign. probably after the debates. >> fair point. with 20% in that big of a field, there's nowhere to go, at least early on. >> that's what i thought but you have to give him credit where credit is due. >> 100%, but people aren't getting the at-bats yet. but timing, as you taught me many years ago, a poll is only a snapshot in time. it only tells you something right now. it is suggestive, not predictive. so is it suggestive that if you want to decide what to do look at joe biden.
10:39 pm
a center/left democrat, and that part of the party is not begging for impeachment. >> it's a political matter but you have to look at it as a legal matter. they need to get the evidence. i prefer a little more speed. but speed toward sup pea thatting mueller. what do you do? >> it's going to take a long time. they just settled the case with eric holder two weeks ago. it takes time. >> right. this is complicated stuff. you have to set this up in the mind of the jury and the jury is the american people. the republicans aren't going to cooperate. we need to do the right thing. in order to do the right thing we have to bring the jury along with us.
10:40 pm
and as i say, the jury is the american people. we have to have them come in and under oath testify about what's going on. we also ought to begin disbarment proceedings against barr and mcgahn in front of the d.c. bar. bill clinton was disbarred for lying to congress. we have to be much tougher and we have to act quicker but i'm not ready to go down until we actually see evidence that the american people will see. this is the most corrupt president in the history of the united states of america. most people know that. even the people who support him believe that, or many of them do. and we just have to make sure we have them with us. >> there's two instructions in that. one, if you want them with you, don't be what you oppose and, two, you have to make sure that you have a clean call when you do make moves. right now he's just listening to somebody that has the privilege, arguably.
10:41 pm
>> you can try to have him disbarred now. because he did lie to congress. >> you could try. >> we have a ways to go down the road with mcgahn. that law firm is going to separate. would you like to go to a law firm where one of the senior partners is all mixed up in a mess like this with donald trump? >> if he comes through it clean, i like having mcgahn on my team and that's why a lot of law firms bring those names in. >> yeah, but you cannot stiff congress. you have to tell the truth. and that's in short supply in this white house, and everybody who works for donald trump. >> so, beto o'rourke, town hall. i give him his best defense. the media was shining him up like an apple for teacher and they have a tendency to do that early in a race. you remember that in your own race. the love doesn't last. >> i do. >> the love doesn't last.
10:42 pm
what lesson would you impart about what you learned about what took you where you were and what didn't keep you there? >> i think what beto has to do, the cnn town meetings have been great. so, he has to just go out, do his best, show who he is to the american public. then his numbers will presumably go up. i don't frequently say wonderful things about the media, but i think the media has done a good job of getting them in front of the american people. the town meetings have given the american people the opportunity to see candidates that they don't know much about. that matters a lot. >> i'll tell you, it's not my call. i'm happy to be involved but they are not gangbusters for ratings. what they are is responsible. and i respect -- everyone is doing them. fox is doing them. msnbc is doing them. we do the most in my opinion and do them with people that maybe
10:43 pm
wouldn't get a voice and that's the service to the people and it's about time they get to serve more. howard dean, i appreciate your perspective as always. you are always welcome on my show, sir. >> thanks, chris. >> be well. america's biggest beverage blunder. what do you think it was? we all know but it's ready for a comeback and that's something that no one saw coming. i was a 14-year-old gaptoothed kid and that's when new coke came out and by the time i was 15 and gave up on growing a tail because it doesn't work, new coke was gone, or so we thought. d. lemon and i are going to break down the stranger reason it's being served up again, next. now there's scotts thick'r lawn 3-in-1 solution. with a soil improver! seed! and fertilizer to feed! now yard time is our time. this is a scotts yard.
10:44 pm
billions of problems. dry mouth? parched mouth? cotton mouth? there's a therabreath for you. therabreath oral rinse and lozenges. help relieve dry mouth using natural enzymes to soothe and moisturize. so you can... breathe easy, there's therabreath at walmart. but allstate actually helps you drive safely... with drivewise. it lets you know when you go too fast... ...and brake too hard. with feedback to help you drive safer. giving you the power to actually lower your cost. unfortunately, it can't do anything about that. now that you know the truth... are you in good hands? go to the pharmacy counter for powerful... congestion and pressure? claritin-d. while the leading allergy spray is indicated for 6 symptoms... claritin-d is indicated for 8... including sinus congestion and pressure. claritin-d. get more.
10:45 pm
what sore muscles? what with advpounding head? .. advil is... relief that's fast. strength that lasts. you'll ask... what pain? with advil. at a comfort inn with a glow taround them, so people watching will be like, "wow, maybe i'll glow too if i book direct at choicehotels.com." who glows? just say, badda book. badda boom. book now at choicehotels.com.
10:46 pm
last year, the department of veteran's affairs partnered with t-mobile for business. with va video connect, powered by t-mobile, vets can speak to their doctors from virtually anywhere, and get the care they deserve, without it counting against their data, so they can return to their most important post. soulmate, best friend, or just dad. the va provides the care, t-mobile provides the coverage.
10:47 pm
to save 30% on all the medications we carry. so go directly to petmeds.com now. new coke. it sucked. put out by coca-cola in 1985. that's not just my opinion. people then had some mighty strong feelings about it. >> i don't care for it. >> it's terrible. >> it tastes gross. >> you have it and the
10:48 pm
hairstyles. blame netflix for why it's coming back and the coming season of "stranger things." starting this thursday coca-cola is going to be bringing back a limited number of new coke cans to celebrate the vintage drink. now we know how much of a flop this was so let's bring in my man d. lemon. not that i'm speaking of flops. will the younger generation give this soda -- ooh. will the younger generation give new coke a new chance. do you have your bottles? >> i got them here. >> what was so bad about new coke? >> it was terrible. and why did you tell everybody my confirmation name was richard. let's start the -- >> this is a taste test. you got to tell me these things. >> the one that says new. >> i remember when this came out. >> look at him drinking out of a cup. >> i have to have a little ice with my coca-cola. let's see.
10:49 pm
now coke classic that had to be called that because of new coke. >> let's see. did you just -- are you a -- sommelier? >> yeah, i took one of those classes. that's wine, though. i taste like nothing when i drink coke classic and i taste something a little sacchariny when i drink the -- >> it's not that big of a difference. it's not that big a difference. i'm sorry. is it the can or the formula? >> no, it's the formula. >> are you sure? >> yes. >> i remember when this came out and people didn't like it. here's the thing -- >> how old were you? >> 1985? i was 4. >> i was rocking capezios and
10:50 pm
c cavariccis. do you remember them? >> oh, yeah. i also had parachute pants and then i had the -- what was the jacket? members only jacket. >> i have one now. they came back a few years ago. when you used to touch someone it left a handprint. >> i shopped at merry-go-round too. >> chess king. chess king was my joint. save up for weeks for a keyboard tie. >> that was back when banana republic actually sold safari >> that was the real deal. you just never had it without rum in it. >> no, i don't -- yeah, no. this is not good without the ice. >> now, you know what -- >> that's good. >> mario beat me for 20 bucks at my buddy's new restaurant up where we live that i'll take you
10:51 pm
to. it is called rosie's, a very cool place, farm to table. he says, hey, you should have this mexican coke, pop, it is better. >> it is. he's right. >> please. he said, i'm telling you it is better. what do you know about real coke? they use cane sugar. he said, do you want to bet 20 bucks? i said done. on the bottom they use cane sugar, not high fructose corn sugar. >> you can get it, if you go to walmart or costco, you can get the coke from mexico. >> i don't drink soda. >> i do, but only diet soda. i do diet coke -- >> we do no soda in the house. >> -- and diet ginger ale. >> when i'm on the road -- and i'm a little subsued. and i'm a little subdued i will have a jarrito if it is available south of the border, j-a-r-r-i-t-o, it is very tasty. it's --
10:52 pm
>> it's jarrito. you're old enough to remember tab i'm sure. >> sure. fresca. >> i usually do diet coke because i don't want the sugar. >> i'm going to get you one of those mexican cokes. >> jamie will be on to tell you what is happening in washington and the terrible performance of ben carson today. we'll talk about that. >> real to rio. >> wait a minute, reo speedwagon. >> see you in a second. >> candidate trump promised you i will surround myself with only the best people. do you remember that? you heard what d. lemon was talking about, the housing secretary, the genius, ben carson confused about a crucial part of his mandate as the secretary of housing and urban development. one-third of his asset sales fall into one category. he did not understand it today, and it means something. the argument next. >> announcer: "cuomo prime time" brought to you by charles schwab. own your tomorrow.
10:53 pm
lisa: (on phone) hey carl, what are you charging me for online equity trades? (nervous chuckle) lisa: and do i get my fees back if i'm not happy? like a satisfaction guarantee? ugh. schwab! lisa: oh right, i'm calling schwab. thanks, carl! wait, lisa! lisa... are you getting low costs backed by a satisfaction guarantee? if not, talk to schwab. a modern approach to wealth management. if not, talk to schwab. the matters.ar... introducing the all-new 2019 ford ranger, it's the right gear. with a terrain management system for... this. a bash plate for... that. an electronic locking rear differential for... yeah... this. heading to the supermarket? get any truck. heading out here? get the ford ranger. the only adventure gear built ford tough.
10:54 pm
you eat right... mostly. you make time... when you can. but sometimes life gets in the way, and that stubborn fat just won't go away. coolsculpting takes you further. a non-surgical treatment that targets, freezes, and eliminates treated fat cells, for good. discuss coolsculpting with your doctor. some common side-effects include temporary numbness, discomfort, and swelling. don't imagine results, see them. coolsculpting, take yourself further. you wouldn't accept from any one else. why accept it from your allergy pills? flonase relieves your worst symptoms including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. flonase helps block 6 key inflammatory substances. most pills only block one. flonase. you ever wish you weren't a motaur? sure. sometimes i wish i had legs like you. yeah, like a regular person. no. still half bike/half man, just the opposite. oh, so the legs on the bottom and motorcycle on the top?
10:55 pm
yeah. yeah, i could see that. for those who were born to ride, there's progressive. yeah, i could see that. each day justin at work... walk. and after work. he does it all with dr. scholl's. only dr. scholl's has massaging gel insoles that provide all-day comfort. to keep him feeling more energized. dr. scholl's. born to move.
10:56 pm
the latest inisn't just a store.ty it's a save more with a new kind of wireless network store. it's a look what your wifi can do now store. a get your questions answered by awesome experts store. it's a now there's one store that connects your life like never before store. the xfinity store is here. and it's simple, easy, awesome. i believe in complete transparency, says this president. no, he doesn't.
10:57 pm
he says he has been the most open as an administration. he has been the least. and now the third in this trifecta of truth abuse. i'm going to surround myself only with the best and most serious people. we want top-of-the-line professionals. literally, i don't think you could point to one person in any major position that would get any kind of consensus that they were a great choice, let alone the best. the latest and perhaps saddest example of this fact, secretary of housing and urban development today. >> also would like you to get back to me if you don't mind to explain the disparity in reo rates. do you know what an reo is? >> an oreo? >> no, not an oreo. an reo, r-e-o. >> real estate? >> what's the "o" stand for. >> organization.
10:58 pm
>> owned, real estate owned. that's what happens when a property goes to foreclosure, we call it an reo. >> ben carson, genius surgeon. not a policy genius. even two years in he doesn't know an acronym that applies to one-third of the asset sales of the organization he oversees. unlike six former trump advisers who were charged in the russia investigation, guilty pleas or convictions for five of them so far. the best, trump's so good at hiring only the best that there is a 68% turnover rate of senior jobs in his administration according to brookings. he is so good at hiring only the best, he's considering kris kobach to be the immigration czar. his resume includes running the national commission on unproven election fraud which was closed down and also for advising anti-immigrant former sheriff joe arpaio. here is the best part.
10:59 pm
the kobach list of demands to entice him to take the job, here's what he wanted, 24/7 access to a government jet. i'm not kidding. this is real. it's documented. a west wing office. trump telling other secretaries to follow kobach's directives. a nomination to be homeland security secretary by november. weekends in kansas. that's just half the list. so much for draining the swamp. the best news is that this president is expected to go in a different direction on this job of immigration czar. now, one fair point. it is not easy for this administration to get top people, and we can all guess why. >> i know more about isis than the generals do. >> i know more about drones than anybody. >> nobody knows more about construction than i do. >> nobody knows that better than me. >> i know more about courts than any human being on earth. >> the truth is nobody needs good counsel and expert advice more than this president does and he isn't getting it clearly. the presidency has never been a
11:00 pm
one-man job, not even close, and many of the problems we have and continue to see are about a president evidencing a unique brand of ignorance and arrogance, and that keeps the best away and keeps in the dark those who he allows to stay. in the next race the president can accurately campaign on making the administration great again because he has set a low bar for success on that promise to be sure. thank you for watching. cnn with don lemon starts right now. this is cnn tonight. i'm don lemon. thanks for joining us. you just watched our cnn town hall where the former texas congressman and democratic presidential candidate beto o'rourke answering questions from the audience, more than an hour in his first nationally televised town hall talking about impeach many,

31 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on