Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  June 6, 2019 12:00am-1:00am PDT

12:00 am
so this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. a growing tariff war within the republican party. gop senators pushing president trump to delay imposing tariffs on mexico which he is threatening to do monday. they want to meet to discuss the issue. but the president isn't budging. at least as of tonight. mexican officials have been talking and they still say they'll continue talks tomorrow. president insisting if no agreement is reached, the tariffs will kick in and 400,000 american jobs could be lost
12:01 am
over the tariffs. and economists say consumers will pay more from goods from mexico. but president trump kobts to continues to mislead people and ignore the facts. >> the people wont pay the tax, because the companies will pay back in. there won't be any tariffs. >> the big picture. why can't president trump just tell the truth. we're talking about tariffs. michael's the author of "the truth about trump." and amanda is the author of "gaslighting america. why we love it when president trump lies to us." and author of "the corrosion of conservatism. why i left the right." max boot. good evening one and all. right here in the studio. as i said the president is misleading people on tariffs. said other countries will pay. that's not true. in an interview he repeated the lie that the u.s. has the cleanest air and water.
12:02 am
not sure -- that's not true. flint, michigan. does had know he's lying? >> i'm not sure that he knows what the truth is. on two levels. i'm not sure he knows how to tell the truth. he's constitutionally opposed to telling the truth in a loyal way and i think he doesn't know the facts. another example is when he was talking about climate change. first off all he said america has the cleanest climate. the climate isn't clean or dirty. the environment can be clean or dirt a but not the climate. and he ignores the fact that our emissions have gone up 3% the past year 378 they were going down year after year under president obama. but they've gone up in the last year and united states per capita pollutes more than any other can country and is three times greater than china. so he's wholly ignorant to the facts and not inclined to tell the truth if it's not convenient.
12:03 am
>> was it frustrating watching, especially the answer about climate change. and weather wait a minute. he has no idea what he's talking about. >> he also lied about why transgender troops can't serve. because they can't take drugs. that's a lie. of course they do. >> he wrote this. some things trump was wrong about in the last six weeks. the weather, headache, harley, healthcare taxes, crowds, north korea, nato, puerto rico, tariffs. media, mueller, nafta, the wall. one of his dedevelopment disputes, clinton, bald eagles, asylum. wind power. merry christmas. if you lie about anything, you'll lie about everything. that's what i say. what do you think? >> i think that's exactly right and i think what's alarming is this is not as shocking as it
12:04 am
used to be. and thanks heaven for the "washington post" fact checker and doll and a few other people trueing to keep the facts straight and to call trump out. this is like a full-time job. policing his falsehoods. this is the heart of his power. this is how he speaks to supporters. he denies realities inconvenient to him and gives supporters permission so they don't have been to grapple with the actual facts and off course anything that he considers inconvenient is written off as quote on quote fake news which is a term of art trump uses to name actual real facts inconvenient to me and i will therefore call fake news and it's bad enough that trump lives in this alternative reality. what's alarming he dragged 41%
12:05 am
of the american public with him. there's a recent poll that showed something like 35 or 38% of the american public thought donald trump was honest and trustworthy. donald trump. we know has committed at least 10,000 false hoods that have been documented since he's been president and yet 1/3 of of the american public think he's honest and trustworthy. they're as delusional. it's not just trump it's supporters. this is alarming when you have a huge s oof the country that refuses to admit what reality is. >> this is what your book is about. you call it gaslighting. i have to ask you, seriously. maybe you can explain this to me. the president tells pierce morgan that climate change goes both ways. i don't know what that means. even experts tell him the facts, he seems impervious to learning. do you know what he means? >> i think this is improvement
12:06 am
on his part because he's not calling it a chinese hoax and realizes this will be a general election issue. why does trump lie. i don't think it gets the to the equation for him. it's about what he wants people to believe. he gets so caught up in the sell, the facts almost don't matter. and this is what's so difficult for everyone to grapple with. how many times we have to prove that he lies. people think if we can prove that he lies, the people will turn away from him. no, because he paints a really nice, believable picture of how the world will be better with tariffs and how we'll have the cleanest air. i think what democrats are going to have to do in the election is you can't just keep proving he's a liar because the american people want to be told a nice story. so paint a better picture. hopefully not with lies.
12:07 am
you don't have to do it with lies. he does it the bad way but you do have to compete with him at capturing the public imagination in a positive way. >> that is what his oponent have to do is figure out a way, as point out his lies. but as journalists we veto point out lies right and left. lies right and left. we know the president exaggerates. you know i often quote from his book "art of the deal." let's quote one more time. people may not always think big themselves but they can get very can excited by those who do. that's why a little hyperbole never hurts. people want to believe it's the biggest and greatest and most spectacular. i call it truthful hyperbole. it's an innocent form and a very effective form of promotion. so as amanda said maybe the line just doesn't really factor into
12:08 am
it. and it's more about self agrandizement? >> i think the tragedy, as max pointed out, is so men a people don't realize he's lying so much of the time because we're acan -- accustomed to urpresident having character and being morality. being truthful. >> truthful hyperbole and saying in innocent form. >> no, and it wasn't innocent when he was selling people real estate claiming more units sold than had sold. there were legal charges considered in that case. he's defrauded people at trump university. he lies and does it in a hurtful way and now he's hurting the whole world. >> how often have we heard things like this. >> i know more about isis than the generals do. believe me. nobody knows more about environmental impact statements
12:09 am
than me. >> a great professor at mit for 40 years. but i'm smarter. there's nobody that understands the horror of nuclear better than me. nobody knows politicians better,b believe me. i understand the tax laws better than anyone. nobody knos more about trade than me. >> does he honestly believe he's the expert at everything? it a figure of speech? does he believe if i say it everyone will believe it's true? >> if i say it over and over again, if i use gestures, i have one of the greatest brains off all time. i'm the greatest this, biggest that. none of these things can be proved. if i say i'm great, who's to define it differently than me. it's salesmanship.
12:10 am
but should the country have to beware? what the president is selling. he's selling us and we should be ware. >> i think the message he's sending is opposite of what he's saying. the message when you keep say ing i'm an extremely stable genius, i'm the greatest expert on x, y, and z. the message is i'm insecure and worried about whether i have intellectual prowess. i'm hurt that intelligent people think i'm a dope and i have to keep insisting to myself above all that i'm a genius and i'm not convinced. and his constant bs ultimately backfires on him to some extent. because right now he's trying to steer mexico, threatening massive terrifes on mexico. but if you're the mexican government, how do you take him seriously, including threatening
12:11 am
to the close the border and he hasn't carried it out? he bluffs so much, lies so much t it hurts his own ability to be an effective negotiator. >> they're a part off way off baiting them. he makes grand statement he almost wants them to challenge him so he can say that's not true but about what me and you? and become as name calling fight, which he enjoys. >> and people are talk about it it and so on and that's why the book is "when we love it when trump lies to us." thank you, thank you everyone. i appreciate it. prince charles spent 90 minutes trying to convince president trump off the facts on climate change and he got nowhere. why won't the president admit the truth? ♪ living well do you often wake up with chest congestion? or suffer excess mucus? try mucinex 12 hour. the bio layer tablet immediately releases to thin and loosen excess mucus.
12:12 am
and lasts for 12 hours. mucinex 12 hour. it's a revolution in sleep. the sleep number 360 smart bed now from $899, intelligently senses your movement and automatically adjusts... to keep you both comfortable. the queen sleep number 360 c2 smart bed is now only $899. plus, 0% interest for 48 months on most beds. for a limited time. this is my mom's house. a lot of firsts happened here. first kiss. first cigarette. never saw it as a problem. when i was younger.
12:13 am
my mom she was always like: "you need to get rid of them." gave the juul a real chance, and found that i liked it. found that it really works. the switch was easy. it was a no-brainer, really. this came from her... really. everyone could use a little romance... even your feet.. the (new) amopé pedi perfect with diamond crystals gives you smooth results in just seconds
12:14 am
that you'll fall in love with instantly. available at walmart in the foot care aisle. (crunch! crunch!) (cwhoosh!m) (sniff sniff) no way sister! try listerine ready! tabs. they turn into liquid as you chew, so you can swish and clean your whole mouth on the go. try listerine ready! tabs and see men in black international in theaters. we were paying an arm and a leg for postage. i remember setting up shipstation. one or two clicks and everything was up and running. i was printing out labels and saving money. shipstation saves us so much time. it makes it really easy and seamless. pick an order, print everything you need, slap the label onto the box, and it's ready to go. our costs for shipping were cut in half. just like that. shipstation. the #1 choice of online sellers. go to shipstation.com/tv and get 2 months free.
12:15 am
after an hour and a half meeting in which prince charles
12:16 am
tried to convince president trump of climate change, president trump insisted our nation was clean. when asked if he believed the science, here is how trump responded. >> i believe there's a change in weather and i think it changes both was. it used to be called global warming. that wasn't working. then climate change. now it's called extreme weather. >> okay joining me is nick christoff. good evening. lots to discuss here. so climate change, weather -- >> president trump is mixing up an awful lot of things here. he says it goes both ways and one of his common points has bing when there's a warm day in january or a chilly day in june, there's nothing to this. and he said that global warming has been disavowed the last hottest years on record were the last five years.
12:17 am
>> >> he's can confusing climate change and weather and pollution somehow? >> he was saying we have the cleanest climate and he was talking about pollution in countries like india and china. there is one problem, which is air pollution and water pollution and another problem, which is carbon emissions which whatever countries produces them is global. they're different issues and they have to be addressed. >> let's talk about the meeting between prince charles and the future king of england. scheduled for 15 minutes. the president and the future king. ran over by more than an hour. if prince charles can't convince a president that the planet is in danger, can anyone? >> i don't think so. the environment is an issue that prince charles has been deeply dedicated to for half a century.
12:18 am
he was a young adult. he cares deeply about climate change. i think that's why he corralled the president into this meeting and kept going at hum. but there are many issues you don't get a sense he's committed on. abortion he doesn't seem to understand prochoice verses prolife. climate change is one where he has a long history of skepticism. 100 tweets. saying this is fake. he argued a chinese hoax. i think he's impervious to data and science on the issue of climate change. >> here's what's interesting to me. on this trip, he's in ireland. he is staying at one of his golf properties. it's the one they want to build a sea wall at to off is this the rising atlantic ocean. it the trump organization sited climate change in its permit
12:19 am
application for the sea wall. do you think the president is truly ignorant of the consequences or is politically expedeiant for him to pretend otherwise? >> i think he has a very fixed idea about some things and other facts and reality can don't enter through that barrier. you get all kinds of inconsistencies. and i think somebody who has real estate in florida would also appreciate the dangers of climate change and sea rise but he likewise seems in any general discussion to be completely oblivious to what has been, not only a scientific, but one most people around the world are increasingly aware of. >> is this why they're trying to sell their properties?
12:20 am
>> you look at the long term maps of what happens in florida. >> you wrote a fascinating article that says food doesn't grow here anymore. for the "new york times". that's why i would send my son north. >> i was in guatemala talking about why they my great to the u.s. and one of the points is their desperation, partly as a consequence of climate change. drought and extreme weather they can't grow food anymore. they are malnourished. desperation, they send their kids north. >> food doesn't grow here anymore. that's why i would send my son north. the latest column, thank you. we'll see you next time. the smithsonian has a new man at the helm and the first african-american to lead the institution. he has a lot to say about the
12:21 am
real meaning behind confederate statues around the country. hey allergy muddlers... achoo! ...do your sneezes turn heads? try zyrtec... ...it starts working hard at hour one... and works twice as hard when you take it again the next day. zyrtec muddle no more. want to brain better? say hello to neuriva, a new brain supplement with clinically proven ingredients that fuel five indicators of brain performance: focus, accuracy, memory, learning, and concentration. neuriva.
12:22 am
check your free credit scores at creditkarma. here's to progress.
12:23 am
detergent alone doesn't kill bacteria, but adding lysol laundry sanitizer kills 99.9% with 0% bleach. lysol. what it takes to protect.™
12:24 am
mno kidding.rd. but moving your internet and tv? that's easy. easy?! easy? easy. because now xfinity lets you transfer your service online in just about a minute with a few simple steps. really? really. that was easy. yup. plus, with two-hour appointment windows, it's all on your schedule. awesome. now all you have to do is move...that thing. [ sigh ] introducing an easier way to move with xfinity. it's just another way we're working to make your life simple, easy, awesome. go to xfinity.com/moving to get started.
12:25 am
the smithsonian institution announcing the appointment of its new secretary. the first african-american to lead the refound the institution. he's the founding director which is part of the smithsonian and led since 2005. his appointment is crucial in this this era off rising white nationalism america. he studies the roolts of white roots of white supremacy. mascots, myths and memories and examine confederate monuments in america. he says they are a testament to racism and white supremacy. symbols to make african-americans feel less human. it was held less than a year after white nationalists ascended carrying torches and
12:26 am
chanting jews will not replace us. heather hire was murdered in the violence that followed. and as we know president trump's dismissive of white nationalism. >> white nationalism and the rising threat around the world? >> i dont really. i think it's a small group of people that have serious problems. >> but here's what the fbi is reporting that hate crimes are on the rise in america. and the antidefamation league says and white supremacists accounted for 78% of domestic terrorist killings in 2018. up from 59%. so there's a lot to talk about with mr. lonny bunch. thank you for joining us and congratulations, by the way. >> thank you. >> what does it mean to you to be that helm at this time in our nation's history? >> it really means that first of all that we've real a begun to kick down certain doors.
12:27 am
that we've allowed people like me to aspire to leadership at the smith stonian. and what i'm moved by is the number of people who come to me and say as african-american,ee now believe we can aspire to other positions, that we can open many doors. so this is an opportunity to say that america is changing. it's not where it needs to be but my position allows me to help america realize it's going to be a place different than it was 50 years ago. >> so let me ask you along those lines, do you feel a beauty to -- duty to confront the hate we're seeing or educate people about racism and it still exists? >> i think it's important as a historian -- your job is to tell the unvarnished truth so people will be changed by history. it is my job to help americans understand themselves and basisically understand that
12:28 am
until they confront their tortured racial past, they can't find a present or future where we have reconciliation and healing. >> you have studied white supremacy, you've talked about it, you take it head on. how can the smithsonian change the conversation we're having in the country? >> it's this wonders place that has so many different museums and what we can do is help the public realize a place not about about nostalgia but about innovation and insight and understanding. and the hope is we ecan, as a trusted place, bring people together from different points of view debate the importance of history and help people understand how central to understanding america white supremacy has always been. >> you have to educate them about history. especially when it comes to
12:29 am
confederate monuments. >> there has been a lot of debate and anger, even violence surrounding confederate statues and what we should do with them. we're talking about the facts and history here. these were put up well after the civil war. thaw were about white supremacy. talk about that. >> these were real a about an uncivil peace, not civil war. they were done in way in the late 19th century when jim crow is becoming a legal fact of life. they were there to remind african americans they weren't equal. and then they really were built again in the 1940s and '50s as a direct result off the civil rights movement. and these monuments are really about preserving white supremacy, reinforcing racist ideas and really trying to win a piece when we lost the war. >> do people get that? the folks who are fighting for
12:30 am
the statues to stay in place. and are saying well, you're taking away from our history. do you think they understand the statues? when they were erected and why. >> i think not. i think one of the challenges of a place like the smithsonian is to help people understand their history. i think there will always be people who will see these monuments as ways to celebrate the lost cause, the confederacy and it's our job to help people understand exactly what they were. and encourage discussions and debates around them. you know some wanted them destroyed. i want to play what you said about it. >> i like the notion of pruning. periodically you got to prune. i do not ever wants to see all these monuments taken down because they're too important in terms of historical lessons but i think if you can prune, that means you can add other stories.
12:31 am
but also i think the big challenge is to figure out how to doo you contextualize monuments? >> i have been saying don't destroy them. put them in museums. wouldn't that put them in context because then you explain them? >> i think that's the most important thing to do is if you put them in museums or create parks. in budapest they've put a lot of the soviet statues together and people understand you're not destroying them because they part of the history. have shaped the waw you are, but now by contextualizinging whether in museums or parks, people understand what the limits of memorials are and help people understand the real history, not a slanted history. >> when people say when american history is taught, it's often white american history and not black american history. is that the role of the smithsonian to correct that?
12:32 am
>> it is important to be conversive with the best scholarship and it says to understand american history. to understand america you have to see it through the lens of race. so for me, what i try to do is not tell sort of a separate story but to say that the african-american experience is the quintessential american story. if you want to understand our notions of spirituality, optimism and experience. resiliency. so this is a story that shapes us all regardless who we are. >> it is always a pleasure and again congratulations. >> real a appreciate it. the majority of americans think the president will win the 2020 election. we'll break that down the number next.
12:33 am
i got this mountain bike for only $11. dealdash.com, the fair and honest bidding site. an ipad worth $505, was sold for less than $24; a playstation 4 for less than $16; and a schultz 4k television for less than $2. i won these bluetooth headphones for $20. i got these three suitcases for less than $40. and shipping is always free. go to dealdash.com right now and see how much you can save. this bleach indicator test reveals which disinfectant can leave harsh chemical residue on your food surfaces. what do you do with that? like, who's going to eat that?
12:34 am
unlike clorox clean-up, lysol daily cleanser uses three simple ingredients to leave surfaces free from harsh chemical residue. lysol. what it takes to protect.® where people go to learn about their medicare options before they're on medicare. come on in. you're turning 65 soon? yep. and you're retiring at 67? that's the plan! it's also a great time to learn about an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. here's why...medicare part b doesn't pay for everything. this part is up to you. a medicare supplement plan helps pay for some of what medicare doesn't. call unitedhealthcare insurance company today to request this free decision guide. and learn about the only medicare supplement plans endorsed by aarp. selected for meeting their high standards of quality and service. this type of plan lets you say "yes" to any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients. do you accept medicare patients? i sure do! so call unitedhealthcare today and ask for your free decision guide.
12:35 am
oh, and happy birthday... or retirement... in advance. since you're heading off to dad... i just got a zerowater. but we've always used brita. it's two stage-filter... doesn't compare to zerowater's 5-stage. this meter shows how much stuff, or dissolved solids, gets left behind. our tap water is 220. brita? 110... seriously? but zerowater- let me guess. zero? yup, that's how i know it is the purest-tasting water. i need to find the receipt for that. oh yeah, you do.
12:36 am
12:37 am
a new cnn poll shows a majority of americans believe donald trump will likely win the 2020 election. let's discuss now. hello to all of you. i'm sure you want to discuss this, this evening. we're going to start with you. here's what the latest cnn poll shows. 54% say he will be reelected. 41% think he will be defeated. he is polling well on the economy. not much else though. you surprised by the numbers? >> no, not really. one is that four out of the last five presidents have been two termers. so i think there's something of recent si bias. it's historically an aberration but we're used to two-term presidents and so that's part of it. i also think the fact that president trump pulled off this almost stunning victory last night, that many of us were surprised he did it.
12:38 am
we're hedging our bets the other way and not just in the media but in the public. they doubted him before. now people are overestimating his potential to be reelected. >> you now have to say last name so you'll know who i'm talking about. the polls show voters do not like trump's behavior. they site lying, not acting presidential. racism. competence. those are all high negatives. but the economy is strong. if it stays the way it is now, would that be enoughf to win him a second term? >> you would think so. if he would be talk about the economy. but his problem is he's talking about all these negatives, the border wall. he's making offensive statements. causing problems while he's overseas. i think he has a lot oof problems focusing on the issue, which is the econam. -- economy. people believe he could win. it's because of the miracle win
12:39 am
he had last time. i think those negatives are going to continue and that's going to cause him problems down the stretch. he doesn't have the ability to focus on the issues that can help him. >> let me ask you a follow up question. your expertise is hispanic voters. trump or any candidate's behavior -- do they historically have a similar impact with latino? >> definitely. you're seeing that already in 2018. look at how he closed the 2018 midterms on behalf of the republican party, making this really insane plea about central americans invading the united states, migrants seeking asylum. we saw a huge latin vote in 2018. record numbers in term oz of of turnout and an increase unsupport for democratic candidates in 2018 as compared to the previous midterms. those negatives did turn out the latinoo vote against him and that was part of the big blue wave in the seats that flip said in the house.
12:40 am
>> let's talk about another poll. another new poll. this one spells trouble for the president in really an unlikely place and that's texas. shows it if joe biden beating trump 48% to 44%. jimmy carter is the last democratic candidate to carry texas. do you think this is realistic? >> i think all of these polls -- yes and also no and what we're also seeing with the poll you sited earlier around trump being -- people seeing that -- thinking that trump is going to win again in 2020 and i think right now we saw in 2016 and surprise victories in 2018 where pundits and voters are trying to figure out what the political landscape looks like right now. we had shocking, surprising upsets in 2016 and i think people are over compensating and
12:41 am
correcting where we all doubted that trump was actually going to win. i think with polls in general, they don't always represent i think where voters are and they're starting to sense that in a real way. >> and listen, remember the polls and i'm sure all of you -- maybe you're covering it with me. with beto o'rourke and ted cruz. they thought beto may have had a slight edge and republicans usually can come home and they vote for republicans. matt lewis, another question for you. so trump has governed largely by appealing to his base. a minority of voters, which is his base. is that enough for 2020? >> the answerer is we don't know. it's not enough in the long run. i don't know eif donald trump's going to lose texas this time.
12:42 am
i think he's in real danger. believe it or not. he could totally lose. this is a trend off a lot of polls that show biden, beto, and i think bernie at one point beating trump in texas and it's not just immigration. it's also because texas is a actually attracted a lot of osuburbanite voters from places like california bringing business business. >> and they don't like the behavior of the president. that turns them off. >> so i think he's in trouble. yes, trump could win. it would have to be basically a similar model as last time. he won three states in the rust belt by 80,000 votes. trump could do that again theoretically. i think the long-term forecast for republicans is much more dire in texas, whether it goes this time or not is in real jeopardy. so is arizona, by the way. >> even why the president continues to attack immigrants,
12:43 am
more specifically, hispanics, he holds support. you caution the hispanic vote is not one big group. >> i think first thing is we don't have a strong read in some of the national polls on where the latino vote is. they tend to poll only english. they don't have a lot off data from high density hispanic communities. it's probably closer to 20% support who continue to support trump. there's issues that are important. we saw in 2018 the single most important issue was access to health care was the cost of health care and again that was an issue where the republicans were talking about repealing obamacare and not expanding health care. not replacing it with anything. you can't only talk about one issue. you have to meet them like all voters where the pocketbook is. where their families are. if democratic candidates do
12:44 am
that, i think they have a chance to further increase the gains. i think texas could be in play in 2020. it's a very real chance. romney carrying it by 16, trump by nine and then cruise only by 2.6. so it's trending in that direction and a lot enthusiasm in texas. democratic enthusiasm. >> while the majority of latino voters tend to vote democratic, are you concerned about democrats taking the the votes for granted? >> no group is it the same and just like my colleagues pointed out, i thunk it's good to recognize they're not always accurate. as represents our community there. but i think there's really democrats can't take the latino vote for granted, can't take any votes for granted and just because going up against a racist president doesn't mean you're necessarily going to get the votes of people of color and
12:45 am
we have to remember back in 2010 there was a major reason for the dream act not passing back then. wasn't just because of republican opposition. it was also because democratic senators didn't vote as well. so just to reiterate the point that it's not just something we have to assume donald trump, being himself, is going to make the latino community vote for democrats, we're go having to to do an aggressive direct voter out reach, press out reach to those networks and communicate with every constituency, but we definitely can't take it for granted gist because we know donald trump is a racist and expect people of color to vote for us because of that. >> matt, and the other matt -- thank you so much. kamau bell is up next. we'll talk living while black.
12:46 am
imagine. megared omega-3 power for your whole body. now with an antioxidant blend for great sleep, refreshed skin and less stress. one softgel. 7 benefits. new total body refresh. power your day with megared.
12:47 am
we were paying an arm and a leg for postage. i remember setting up shipstation. one or two clicks and everything was up and running. i was printing out labels and saving money. shipstation saves us so much time. it makes it really easy and seamless. pick an order, print everything you need, slap the label onto the box, and it's ready to go. our costs for shipping were cut in half. just like that. shipstation. the #1 choice of online sellers. go to shipstation.com/tv and get 2 months free.
12:48 am
12:49 am
it made her d my mom feel proud.esults, of online sellers. they saw us, they recognized us. ancestry specifically showed the regions that my family was from. the state of jalisco. the city of guadalajara. the results were a reflection of our family and the results were really human. i feel proud about my identity. new features. greater details. richer stories. get your dna kit today at ancestry.com. this is why we no longer have to worry about flushing too much toilet paper. wait, so you don't flush your toilet paper at home? no yuck because that man is afraid. afraid too much toilet paper will back up our system. but dad, rid-x contains billions of enzymes proven to break down even paper to help keep your whole septic system healthy. it's science dude. for paper, grease or waste breakdown, use rid-x.
12:50 am
an ex-employee at a mississippi campground charged with threatening exhibition of a weapon after pulling a gun on a black couple who were just trying of a picnic last week telling them they didn't have a reservation to be there. she was fired. the whole thing is all too familiar to people of color. it's an issue explored in the new episode of the united shades of america. living while black. thank you so much. so we're going to talk about stories like this over and over again on this show, black people getting coffee, barbecuing at the park, trying to use the neighborhood pool, even kids selling water confronted by white people calling the cops on
12:51 am
them for no real reason. and now we hear about this couple at the camp site i just mentioned. what gives? >> first of all, i'm glad i can finally come on your show and talk about racism in america, don. we're doing the right thing. what gives is these are the kind of stories that black people have shared since the beginning of this country, black people being treated unfairly because of the color of their skin. white people wouldn't necessarily believe us. now we're in this era of cell phones and not only do we see these things happen all the time but the problem is they don't seem to be initiating change. we talk about that this weeks episode. how come white women aren't seeing themselves in all these videos and going, i should probably react a different way when a cell phone comes out and i'm talking to a black person. >> you actually witnessed one of these living while black incidents, it unfolded right in front of you while you were filming. this episode. what happened? >> we were going to meet with
12:52 am
historian reggie jackson, it takes place in milwaukee. is regularly called the most segregated city in america. as we were meeting him, it was around halloween and there were black people handing out candy on halloween and a white woman called the cops on them. we walked up as the cops were pulling up to talk to them why they were handing out candy on halloween. >> i want to watch a clip. >> you were talking to students about troubling infractions they've had with their teachers. listen. >> we had to pick an organization to work with for the semester. and my teacher told me she wanted me to help out a foster home and i was like, oh, why? and she was like, oh, don't you come from foster care? and i was like -- and i asked her, i said, where did you get that from? and she was just like, i just -- you just what? >> i got it from racism.
12:53 am
>> at least they have a sense of a humor about some of it. so tell me what these kids were saying. >> well, i mean, i think they have a sense of humor about it. we frame this episode. we talk about racism a lot on this show. how can we frame it in a different way. in this episode, it's milwaukee, talking to people of color and i joke about this thing called the black people meeting, any time black people are together talking about racism. if you're not black, welcome to the black people meeting. when we talk about those things, we laugh a lot because that's how we process the pain of the interaction. you laugh to relieve the tension. we have so many great comedians in the country. for me it was like i don't want people to confuse the laughter for taking it lightly. the laughter is a way of releasing tension. this feels impossible to think about. >> before you go, i've got to talk to you about this. this is a video, it's gone around the internet, it's gone viral, of a dad having a conversation with his baby son. watch this. >> right, don't bring that --
12:54 am
you know what i'm saying? yeah, like go somewhere else with that, but don't bring it here, you know what i'm saying? that's what i said, and he was like -- i was like what in the world. don't do that here, you know what i'm saying. yeah, yeah. really? i thought the same thing. we think a lot alike, huh? oh, that's crazy. right. >> that is -- >> i have to check my glasses, that might be me with my 1-year-old. >> the show we have been talking about banning you tube people for being racist and homophobic and then you have this. can we get more of this on the
12:55 am
internet, please, instead of the other stuff? this is the cutest video of the week, don't you think? >> we could have a hashtag called black people doing regular stuff. america often sees us in videos being confronted by police or we have to shout out about injustice, but also, how about black people doing regular stuff like talking to your baby on the couch. >> that baby is adorable. one cute little kid. >> i've got a 1-year-old at home, that's number two to my baby. >> i'm sure. be sure to tune into the all new episode with kamau bell. united shades of america. sunday at 10 p.m. we thank you for watching. our coverage continues. good job, brain! say hello to neuriva, a new brain supplement with clinically proven ingredients that fuel five indicators of brain performance. neuriva.
12:56 am
i couldn't catch my breath. it was the last song of the night. it felt like my heart was skipping beats. they said i had afib. what's afib? i knew that meant i was at a greater risk of stroke. i needed answers. my doctor and i chose xarelto®. to help keep me protected from a stroke. once-daily xarelto®, a latest-generation blood thinner... significantly lowers the risk of stroke in people with afib not caused by a heart valve problem. in a clinical study, over 96% of people taking xarelto®
12:57 am
remained stroke-free. don't stop taking xarelto® without talking to your doctor, as this may increase your risk of stroke. while taking, you may bruise more easily or take longer for bleeding to stop. xarelto® can cause serious, and in rare cases, fatal bleeding. it may increase your risk of bleeding if you take certain medicines. get help right away for unexpected bleeding or unusual bruising. do not take xarelto® if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. before starting, tell your doctor about all planned medical or dental procedures and any kidney or liver problems. learn all you can... ...to help protect yourself from a stroke. ask your doctor about xarelto®. to learn more about cost and how janssen can help, visit xarelto.com.
12:58 am
how janssen can help, new lysol wipes are crazy strong. don't believe us? we got this workout class to compare them to clorox. wow! feel the strength of new lysol wipes. dude! are you looking at this? can i take those? no. lysol. what it takes to protect.® when i had my brother take me places, it was always like, we had to get there early so i could smoke a cigarette before we go inside. we always had to stop for cigarettes... it's true... i decided i needed to find an alternative... so i started looking and then juul came up. i did both for a while. and eventually i just switched over, it's very quick. i remember recently you asking me like did you want to smoke before we go in? and i was like no, i don't need to.
12:59 am
audible members know listening has the power to change us make us better parents, better leaders, better people. and there's no better place to listen than audible. with audible you get a credit good for any audiobook and exclusive fitness and wellness programs. and now, you'll also get two audible originals: titles exclusively produced for audible. automatically roll your credits over to the next month if you don't use them, and if you don't like a book just swap it for free. enjoy 100% ad free listening in the car, on your phone or any connected device. and when you switch a device pick up right where you left off. with our commitment free guarantee, there's never been a better time to start listening to audible. the most inspiring minds, the most compelling stories, the best place to listen.
1:00 am
to start your free 30-day trial, text listen5 to 500500 today. ♪ a solemn ceremony this morning to remember the thousands of troops who died 75 years ago today on d-day. the tariffs go on, and i mean it too. i'm very happy

38 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on