Skip to main content

tv   New Day With Alisyn Camerota and John Berman  CNN  September 18, 2019 4:00am-5:00am PDT

4:00 am
"new day" continues right now. israel's longest serving an unprovoked attack. that is a lie. prime minister benjamin we need to return to diplomacy netanyahu slipping a bit against in the region and when the benny gantz and his blue and white party. president pulled this out of a >> many here believe exit polls diplomatic deal sort of are wrong. historically, i don't know of another instance in american >> he needed 61 seats. if these polls hold, he doesn't have them. history where it was america that broke a diplomatic deal. you see escalating tension and i subpoenaed three witnesses to this hearing. military action all over the the white house is blocking the first two, tightly limiting the region that's directly a result of the u.s. backing away from third. the table. >> i realize this is not my >> you say we have no obligation privilege, but i am respecting to respond on behalf of saudi the white house's decision. >> he lied to their faces. arabia or alongside saudi he has no privileges. he has no immunity. arabia. they are a u.s. ally, correct? >> we should not be engaged in a >> mr. lewandowski obstructed war to protect saudi oil, justice once again. period. we sell them weapons. >> why do we continue to engage we give them advice. we can give them advice about in what is misunderstood by me how to protect themselves. colleagues. >> i think they hate the president more than they love their country. why was their energy infrastructure so vulnerable to this attack? okay. we may be able to help protect as usual, very busy morning it from attacks. that's all fine. here. they are an ally. we want to welcome our viewers in the united states and all that's what yo ou do for an around the world. this is "new day." ally. but to be locked and loaded and talk about another war in the democrats billed this as the middle east? first official impeach. are you kidding me? hearing. former trump campaign manager the american public, our
4:01 am
military, i come from a military corey lewandowski faced off state. i have a son in the military. against the house judiciary another war in the middle east committee for nearly six prickly to protect the saudi oil? it would be ridiculous. hours. his testimony then devolved into >> i can hear critics saying, a name calling, stonewalling though, what message does it spectacle. send to other u.s. allies in the region who might fall victim to >> the white house has directed iran's provocations. does that mean the u.s. will me i do not disclose the never respond to iran? substance of any discussions. >> the white house has directed >> again, we can help our me not to disclose the substance allies. we can help them defend their of any discussions. >> now what? will they hold lewandowski in assets. but they're neighbors. they're engaged in a proxy war contempt? we have in-depth analysis for you ahead. throughout the region that's crushing people everywhere. also corey lewandowski himself they have to figure out a way to ahead. >> he said some things that could have significant get along together and implications. also we're following two big de-escalate tension. we should be playing a role in international stories this morning. that. but we shouldn't be raising secretary of state mike pompeo on his way to saudi arabia after tensions and contemplating the attacks on the oil fields getting in another war in the there. the saudis we are told will soon middle east. >> we've been talking all show the evidence that they say morning about something corey lewandowski said. he said i'm under no obligation implicates iran in this attack. to be candid. he said with the media. but we do begin with breaking but really i'm not obligated to news. this critical election in
4:02 am
tell the truth, period, when not israel. under oath. the fate of benjamin netanyahu, i think it might have israel's longest serving prime minister, one of the world's implications on what's going on on the world stage. closest allies to president when you have a president who trump, his future hangs very has said things that are untrue, much in the balance. what is the effect now as he may cnn's sam kiley in jerusalem. try to sell action to the world now here in response to this this is neck and neck, sam. attack? >> i do think this is >> reporter: it's neck and neck. problematic. when you say i have no and also it's not just, of obligation to be candid and when course, benjamin netanyahu's corey lewandowski said that, it was like dog bites man. political future which is hanging in the balance with exit we all are aware that the polls which can be very administration does not place a value on being truthful and inaccurate but seem to be indicating that he is neck and honest. it was nice that he would come out and state it so bluntly, but neck with benny gantz from the blue and white party. it was no big surprise. but you're right. not just his political future, it weakens people's ability to but also his personal future. trust what they're hearing. he's got these three corruption again, i just use the vietnam investigations against him. incident. he's due in court or to start lbj told the public the north vietnamese attacked shipping and answering in the judicial system that's what escalated the probably in early october. vietnam war. and it was a lie. and the results as they slowly and we were told before the iraq war, we have to go to war to emerge during this election
4:03 am
process are in all probability stop iraq's weapons of mass going to indicate that even if he's out in the front, he's destruction program when the going to have to go through a atomic agency said they don't very agonizing process to knit together a coalition that he's have a wmd program. going to ram into his own i'm very, very worried that what judicial process. the administration is doing is so this has been an they're engaged in provocations uncomfortable situation. >> sam, i want to talk benny gantz who may be the next prime every day against iran. but when the administration goes minister if netanyahu does fall. out and says we have to do this netanyahu so close to president because iran has carried out an trump. how different would the israeli relationship be with the united unprovoked attack, that's a lie. >> just in closing, if the states under a prime minister benny gantz? administration says that iran was responsible for this attack, >> reporter: well, according to do you have reason to doubt that the propaganda put out by the claim? >> i don't have reason to doubt likud party, extremely different. but if you look at who benny that intel. i've looked at the intel. i would say there was some gantz is and indeed who his responsibility either it was party leadership is built likely from iran or it could around, he is a former chief of have been carried out by houthi rebels who had technology that staff of the israel defense iran provided them. force. he has two other former chiefs i don't question the intel. what i question is whether the of staff on his sort of bureau u.s. should try to put military
4:04 am
action in place to defend saudi if you like. arabia. saudi arabia can defend itself. >> and i also know that you both of whom are actually his would never want them to do it without getting authorization from congress. bosses in an earlier life >> that's exactly right. running the defense forces. >> senator tim kaine, thanks for being with us this morning. so they have a very macho >> you bet ya. she is a globe trotting credibility which might well climate crusader and she's only 16 years old. appeal to mr. trump. her message to congress and former president obama that's he's not very significantly out getting a lot of attention. next. ♪ of step really. on how they think they should be conducting themselves in terms of relations with regard to iran. they are in favor of more negotiations with the palestinians. but really not that different from the netanyahu administration. john, alisyn? spending time together, >> sam kiley, they are counting sometimes means doing nothing at all. votes all morning. a swing of one seat could have holiday inn. we're there. so you can be too. major implications. keep us posted. okay. now back here to the u.s. to the was in an accident. when i called usaa, it was that voice asking me, impeachment hearing on capitol "is your daughter ok?" that's where i felt relief.
4:05 am
hill. between democrats and corey we're the rivera family and we plan to be with usaa for life. lewandowski. lewandowski did seem to confirm see how much you can save under oath a key act of with usaa insurance. attempted obstruction by the see how much you can save here's the story of green mountain coffee roasters costa rica paraíso. president. so what happens now? meet sergio. and his daughter, maria. sergio's coffee tastes spectacular. because costa rica is spectacular. joining us -- so we support farmers who use natural compost. >> jeffrey toobin. to help keep the soil healthy. >> there he is. and the coffee delicious. for future generations. take a bow, jeffrey. all for a smoother tasting cup. >> wow. green mountain coffee roasters. that was impressive. also with us cnn political ( ♪ ) correspondent abby phillip. only tylenol® rapid release gels >> i don't get the big introduction, okay. >> you know what? have laser drilled holes. you don't need it. they release medicine fast, jeffrey, we need to stroke his for fast pain relief. ego. >> pump it up for me. tylenol®. >> jeffrey, i know this was a mess. i know this was chaotic and out of control and i know that corey it's how we bring real hope to our cancer patients- lewandowski stuck it to democrats on the house judiciary like viola. when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, committee. however, there was a moment of her team at ctca created a personalized care plan substance, at least one there that treated her cancer and strengthened her spirit. where lewandowski admitted to so viola could focus on her future. something that robert mueller and his team laid out as an their future. this is how we inspire hope.
4:06 am
obstruction of justice. this is how we heal. it is when the president told cancer treatment centers of america. corey lewandowski to get jeff appointments available now. sessions to unrecuse himself from the mueller investigation. watch this. cancer treatment centers of america. car vending machines and buying a car 100% online.vented >> that's what he wanted you to deliver to attorney general jeff sessions, correct? now we've created a brand new way for you to sell your car. >> i believe that's an accurate whether it's a year old or a few years old, representation. >> and he wanted you to deliver we want to buy your car. it to jeff so that jeff could so go to carvana and enter your license plate, say it to the people, right? answer a few questions, >> i believe so. and our techno-wizardry calculates your car's value >> so before we get to the and gives you a real offer in seconds. theater of this, jeffrey. how important was that moment? when you're ready, we'll come to you, >> well, you know, it really was pay you on the spot, and pick up your car. that's it. so ditch the old way of selling your car, extraordinary. hank johnson, the congressman and say hello to the new way-- from georgia, is the only member at carvana. of congress who really was able to engage with lewandowski. we can't give you, unlimited summer, otherwise lewandowski was but we can give you unlimited talk, text and data for just $30 a line for 4 lines. stonewalling. but the point of that exchange and that comes on our newest signal. no signal reaches farther or is more reliable. is that here's lewandowski so you can... coming into the white house. share more sunsets. and donald trump dictates word stream more videos. and stay connected with friends while you slide into fall. for word an instruction to all for just $30/line. and for a limited time, you can get free smartphones too! lewandowski to tell jeff come to t-mobile now
4:07 am
and get new 4 lines of unlimited sessions then the attorney general about how he could and 4 free phones for just 30 bucks a line! unrecuse himself from the russia ♪ investigation and limit or limit nat the mueller investigation. that does seem to be very clear evidence of obstruction of justice. plus though this was contentious, it seemed very clear that lewandowski didn't follow that direction because lewandowski knew it was wrong. he made up various explanations about well i went on vacation so i couldn't talk to the attorney general which seemed per p eed preposterous. several people do not follow the president's instructions because they know it's wrong. and that is -- you know, you don't have to exceed at obstruction of justice to obstruct justice. >> that's vital. because otherwise he could say, well, he never did it. we never delivered the message, so it wasn't obstruction of justice. you're saying the law doesn't see it that way. >> the law is very clear on that
4:08 am
point, yeah. >> abby, you predicted all of this. you did. you were on yesterday and you said he's not -- >> there's the victory lap right there. >> that's it. take a bow. he just said he wasn't going to play along. here's a moment where he would not read from the script that the democrats were hoping he read from. so watch this. >> i simply ask you is it correct that as reported in the mueller report on june 19th, 2017, you met alone in the oval office with the president? >> could you read the exact language of the report? i don't have it available to me. >> i don't think i need to do that and i have limited time. did you meet alone with the president on that date? >> congressman, i'd like you the latest trump official to provide a copy of the report so be swept up in a cloud of i can follow along. ethical issues is transportation >> okay. there were other moments where they asked him to read the secretary elaine chao. mueller report and he also wouldn't play along. >> right. >> she has some other yeah. i mean, he knew what he was relationships and those just may be the problem. doing in stonewalling, in some john avalon here with a reality check. >> hey, guys. cases making fun of some of the so democrats in the house may have just found a way to nick the administration on corruption allegations and tick off senate
4:09 am
members on the dais. majority leader mitch mcconnell at the same time. but they're doing it in a very unorthodox way. by investigating mcconnell's wife which would normally be way from a political perspective, if out of bounds except in this democrats believe there was case his wife is also a trump obstruction of justice, we know that the evidence exists. cabinet official. it's all on paper and it's all elaine chao. the oversight committee is just came out of corey digging into accusations she's lewandowski's mouth. used her role to elevate the they want to use this in a political sense, i think the status of an international biggest value is in showing a shipping company founded by her lot of the denials coming from father and run by her sister who also sits on the state bank the president and his allies are board of china. not true. they're an effort to deceive the the problem is that the public. that's one of the other things transportation department that corey lewandowski oversees the shipping industry and elijah cummings said federal acknowledged yesterday which is he lied when people asked him if laws prohibit federal employees the president asked him to get from using their public office for the gain of friends or jeff sessions to unrecuse himself. >> when reporters asked him. relatives. that's why chshe is getting cald >> he thinks that's not a out for appearing with her problem. when the president's argument father. all of this is that it's all her first trip to china as a fake news and none of this is trump cabinet member, when she true, there's so much evidence. it's a mountain at this point requested her family members
4:10 am
that a lot of these denials are participated, was so unusual the simply false and they're an effort to mislead the public trump state department spoke up. about what the president and his democrats aren't the only ones allies know occurred. and a lot of which is laid out in the mueller report. >> if i could just add another who noticed. point, the legal theory that the you know, the stuff they make roads out of which would seem white house has that anything a relevant to the portfolio of a private citizen like lewandowski transportation secretary. discussed with the president or with the president's advisers is chao's family connections are also troubling at a time the covered by executive privilege, administration has been getting that theirry is preposterous. tough with china over issues no court has ever held that. ranging from widespread now, the democrats' problem is espionage to policies in the south china sea. in order to fight that and force and the detention of uighur minorities in internment camps. him to testify, they'll have to find him in contempt. >> why do they do that? why did jerry nadler do that two while chao doesn't have a direct seconds into the hearing the minute that corey lewandowski interest, mcconnell accepted a played the charade about reading the report out loud? why not do that and what gift. invested $200 million in a happened when they start pressing the contempt case? kentucky aluminum plant months >> that is one option he could have had, but it would have after mcconnell removed meant shutting down the hearing, sanctions on that company.
4:11 am
going into a process that will all these accusations unproven likely take months. to date, but there's clearly i mean, remember. they have done that with certain reason to investigate. because it's all happening evidence. you know, don mcgahn's against the backdrop of an administration that's eroding testimony. that's now in court. ethical norms and possibly you know, the attempt to get the profiting off the presidency. president's tax returns. that's now in court. but this is a multi-month ch a r chao's actions also say process. and the democrats felt at least executive branch employees may for the short-term it was worth not use positions to endorse a getting what they could from product, service, or person. lewandowski. and they did get some things someone should tell the from lewandowski rather than, president that next time he you know, trying to start the pitches his hotel to host the contempt process right away. but this is why the white house g7. and that's your reality check. is in so much control of the >> thank you for the reality, process. they control access to virtually john. we need it. president trump continues all the evidence and unless the his fund raising blitz in california today along with a democrats start going to court visit to the u.s./mexico border on everything, it's very hard all while escalating his feud for me to see what actual with california's governor. evidence they're going to produce in these impeachment hearings. >> and they control all the pace cnn's kyung lah has more. of all of this. that's the big part. >> one thing i won't do is roll to the extent there is a legal over. strategy playing out from the white house's side, they know a >> reporter: california's lot of these things are not governor gavin newsom, going to be held up. unofficial leader of the trump but they also blaef that they
4:12 am
resistance. >> we are nothing less than a can draw out the process and progressive answer to a deny democrats a narrative that can be useful to them transgressive president. politically. >> reporter: now entering and that is the entirety of the another battle with president trump as he fund raises in strategy at this point. newsom's back yard this week. it is delay and in a lot of a source telling cnn the trump administration will attempt to cases put road blocks in front pull the state waiver letting of these investigations. california develop its own >> corey said, yes, he's under emissions standards. no obligation to tell truth to the trump administration wants media. to roll back obama era rules. but he also said before that but newsom won't bend. he'll pretty much only tell the truth when under oath. he says he needs to be under >> check mate. we actually did something he oath to tell the truth. didn't see coming. right? we negotiated with private we know the trump administration is fighting not to put people industry and they agreed to under oath before congress tooth voluntary standards that went and nail. beyond what the trump so you have that contradiction there. the admission you're not going administration was demanding. to tell the truth, you have no and for trump it was a obligation to be candid is a stunning admission from someone realization he doesn't get everything he wants. >> reporter: this fight is so close to the president with familiar territory. implications that go way beyond under newsom's administration, that room yesterday on capitol california is now involved in hill, jeffrey. nearly 60 lawsuits against the >> well, and corey lewandowski trump white house jamming the crowbar in trump's agenda. is an all but declared senate. governor, are you able to
4:13 am
succeed in wielding your power in a way that democrats in >> he just declared. he was just on a morning show washington are unable to do? that he's running but he'll >> in some ways, that's true. announce officially in october. outperforming the federal >> puif you can believe it. government as the trump administration is running >> so he's running for the historic record deficits. senate. you have to wonder what the all of that as we're reducing voters of new hampshire are going to think when, you know, our greenhouse gas emissions and this guy is running for office protecting and preserving and saying well, i'm not obligated promoting our values. that makes us a formidable to tell the truth unless i'm challenge to trump and trumpism. under oath. the people of new hampshire will >> reporter: their battles part have to decide what they want. policy, part theater. it was quite clear yesterday that he was campaigning at least if you look at some of the barbs you both have shared on for the trump part of the twitter -- >> there's a few. republican party primary vote >> reporter: there's a few. there's a good bit. and it's offline too. all through his testimony >> how about this clown in yesterday. >> new hampshire live free or die only under oath. california? >> that's right. >> reporter: newsom responded by >> maybe. tweet saying trump is literally all right. abby, jeffrey, thank you very much. locking up kids like pennywise, i will be swearing him in in the scary clown from the movie an hour. i will be swearing corey "it". lewandowski in on a bible when >> he called me a clown. he appears on "new day" to talk i called him pennywise, yeah, that's a bit of a side show.
4:14 am
about yesterday's hearing and what's next for him. the fact is interestingly we all right. have a relationship. president trump has been calling for another interest rate cut interestingly we communicate. not in public. for weeks. on the phone, in person. will that stimulate the and he's very gracious in those uncertain economy? a former top economist in the white house joins us next. our dad was in the hospital. ca calls. because of smoking. i hope in turn i am as well. but we still had to have a cigarette. >> reporter: they have shared gracious public moments. had to. but then, we were like. they walked through a fire what are we doing? the nicodermcq patch ravaged town praising each helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. other's leadership. nicodermcq. but they have a litany of you know why, we know how. disagreements. >> stay out of our way. let california continue not to survive but thrive despite the head winds, despite everything you're doing to try to put sand in the gears of our success. >> reporter: kyung lah, cnn, los angeles. >> always interesting to hear what happens behind the scenes versus what we see in public. our thanks there. so a teenage climate activist greta thunberg is in town this week and she got to meet with president obama.
4:15 am
>> thank you so much for stopping by to say hello. >> the 16-year-old from sweden told president obama the young people she's met on her trip here seem eager to combat the climate crisis. >> no one is too small to have an impact and change the world. so just do everything you can and be creative. >> well, thunberg staged a weekly school strike for climate sit-ins outside the swedish parliament. president obama tweeted at just 16 greta is already one of our planet's greatest advocates. >> they're the ones who are going to have to carry the bag on this. >> i tell my 14 and 12-year-olds all the time, this is up to you "have you lost weight?" guys. i say we screwed this up. of course i have- >> i say that about dinner. ever since i started renting from for all the back and forth because national lets me lose the wait at the counter... in this campaign, all the heat, all the fire, what's the one ...and choose any car in the aisle. issue that the candidates think and i don't wait when i return, thanks to drop & go. could change the trajectory of the race?
4:16 am
we'll tell you next. at national, i can lose the wait...and keep it off. wow! looking good, patrick. i know. (vo) go national. go like a pro. hour 36 in the stakeout. ♪ limu emu & doug that's ensure max protein, as soon as the homeowners arrive, with high protein and 1 gram sugar. we'll inform them that liberty mutual it's a sit-up, banana! customizes home insurance, bend at the waist! i'm tryin'! so they'll only pay for what they need. keep it up. you'll get there. your turn to keep watch, limu. whoa-hoa-hoa! 30 grams of protein, wake me up if you see anything. and one gram of sugar. ensure max protein. [ snoring ] [ loud squawking and siren blaring ] only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
4:17 am
4:18 am
in just houring, jerome powell is expected to announce another interest rate cut. the second in just two months. this comes as president trump "have you lost weight?" of course i have- criticizes powell for not doing ever since i started renting from national. many for to stimulate the km i. because national lets me lose the wait at the counter... joining us no is kevin hassett. ...and choose any car in the aisle. he's now a cnn commentator.
4:19 am
great to have you here. and i don't wait when i return, thanks to drop & go. do you like this idea of the fed rate cut today? at national, i can lose the wait...and keep it off. >> well, i think that everybody expects the fed is going to cut rates today. looking good, patrick. i think there is this problem, you know, bill dudley who used to be the head of the new york i know. (vo) go national. go like a pro. fed and was vice chair of the open market committee sort of called on democrats everywhere to resist president trump and he called on the fed not to cut i've always been faand still going for my best, rates because he wants to sort even though i live with a higher risk of stroke of punish the economy because of due to afib not caused by a heart valve problem. the negative effects of trump's so if there's a better treatment than warfarin... trade policy. i think if they don't hike i want that too. rates -- i mean cut rates today, eliquis. eliquis is proven it's going to be really a to reduce stroke risk better than warfarin. political move. and that's really bad for the fed. plus has significantly less i think we're looking for a rate cut. and if we don't get one, it's going to be huge news. >> yeah. major bleeding than warfarin. the signals suggest we are going to get one. reeling in a nice one. my question is do you think that don't stop taking eliquis unless your doctor tells you to, will satisfy president trump? >> you know, i think president as stopping increases your risk of having a stroke. trump wants the economy to be eliquis can cause serious and in rare cases fatal bleeding. growing like hot cakes. i think a quarter point cut, you know, more than reverses the don't take eliquis if you have an artificial heart valve move last december. or abnormal bleeding. so i don't know if he's going to while taking eliquis, you may bruise more easily stop tweeting about jay powell, but yeah, i think it's what he and it may take longer than usual for any bleeding to stop. wants right now.
4:20 am
>> do you agree that jay powell seek immediate medical care for sudden signs of bleeding, doesn't have a clue? like unusual bruising. >> no. not at all. eliquis may increase your bleeding risk jay's a very solid guy. if you take certain medicines. he's doing a good job of tuning tell your doctor about all planned medical out the noise and focusing on or dental procedures. eliquis, the number one monetary policy. they made a mistake last cardiologist-prescribed blood thinner. december and the president was ask your doctor if eliquis is what's next for you. vocal about that. the fed should watch the data, learn what's going on, and adjust when necessary. so i support jay 100%. >> the fact that president trump keeps criticizing him, do you think that that's putting some pressure on him? >> no, not at all. i think if you go back and look, there was a time when lbj actually took the fed share and shoved him up against the wall. new this morning, presidential candidate michael and it's part of the job bennet out with new campaign ads description to tune that out and focus on getting policy right. today in iowa with a loud, stark and i think that, you know, for sure they made a mistake last statement that might raise some december. they're not going to get eyebrows. everything right. but i think jay is doing the >> the truth is a health care right thing. plan that starts by kicking he's focusing on his job. people off their coverage makes >> i'm glad we haven't gotten to the job of physical assault. no sense. >> it did happen in the past we all know it. as president, i'll get everyone though.
4:21 am
>> that's an interesting covered. with a public option or keeping anecdote. so the fact that this -- the the health plans they already have. >> joining me now is colorado fed, if it happens today as it looks likely and it will have democratic senator michael done it for the second time in bennet. basically two months, do you thank you for being with us. tell us what you think the truth think that that will contribute is that kicking people off their to some anxiety? health care plan makes no sense. >> right, well, you know, again if that's the truth, what's not i think if i were there, i'd the truth that people are hearing in iowa right now? probably not vote for a rate cut. because the economy is looking >> well, there are candidates pretty strong. running for president who are inflation is picking up a little proposing a plan that would make bit. wage inflation is picking up a private insurance illegal and lot. and i'm a little bit nervous raise taxes on the american about it. but i think that the thing that's putting pressure on the people by $33 trillion. i think that's lousy policy. fed is in europe they really have their foot on the gas. and i think it's terrible they've got negative interest politics if we're trying to win rates. the presidential election. they're doing quantitative easing again. donald trump is the first if the fed doesn't act now, president in american history to take insurance away from there's going to be a real disconnect between u.s. policy millions of americans. and policy everywhere else. and the democrats have been i think that's what's moving them. fighting hard to make sure that the u.s. economy is still strong doesn't happen. and this is going to make it a we were able to prevent the little stronger. >> you just said you wouldn't appeal of the affordable care vote for it. >> i would not. act and it just makes sense to >> i hear you. have a public option to give so is it going to make it everybody in america the chance stronger or more anxiety filled? to make a choice for themselves >> well, it's going to make it and their families about whether
4:22 am
stronger and that's going to create inflationary risks. they want that public option or keep their private insurance if if things continue to chug long, they want it. >> who is not telling the truth? >> i think candidates that have maybe they'll have to reverse this next year. signed up to bernie's plan and that's what they have to look forward to. are saying that we're not making i might have reversed the cut in december. i think that rates are about where they ought to be. illegal all private insurance in 2% maybe is a good place to this country. bernie sanders has told the stop. you know, i think we'll have to wait and see. but the other thing about this truth from the very beginning. is they're going to have an and the talking points i repeat announcement where they sort of say here's what we're thinking. in that ad are not republican i think the markets are really going to be looking at that talking points. they're bernie's talking points closely. they want to see if there's about his own plan. going to be more rate cuts for as he says, he wrote the damn the rest of the year. i think a lot of people expect you'll get a rate cut but then a bill. and i wrote the damn bill when strong or harsh announcement and it comes to the public option. my proposal would get americans that the markets are going to go down when they see that. covered, everybody covered, >> so if you were still in the within three years. white house, you would advise and i think bernie's proposal president trump not to press for this rate cut. would leave us fighting a losing >> president trump actually really likes having battle for medicare for all for disagreement. the next ten years instead of yeah, for me i think the problem deal with the fact that our is just that because the economy economy doesn't work for everybody. instead of dealing with climate is a lot stronger than people thought, then there are change. instead of dealing with the inflationary risks. other issues we need to confront. >> you say bernie sanders has if you look at the history of -- always told the truth about this.
4:23 am
elizabeth warren supports bernie i would be nervous about that. sanders's plan. that's what i would tell him is she not telling the truth? right now. >> i wouldn't say that. >> are you nervous about what's i think she could be clearer happening in saudi arabia right about what the plan does and if now and the ripple effect it she said what bernie said about will have? it, that would be clear enough >> the good news is the saudi for me. arabians have a lot of supply >> does their plan, in your and they seem to be getting stuff back online faster than we mind, do more for the american expected. people than what donald trump we saw oil prices spike almost would do with health care? to 70 bucks a barrel. would you support their ideas and they're down six or seven over trump's ideas on health bucks from there this morning in care? >> no question about it. futures markets. as i said, donald trump is the right now the thing is only president in american contained. i think the problem is just that history to take insurance away from millions of people. the iranians or the yemenis, and it's shameful. whoever it is that attacked, the he ran for office saying that he was going to repeal the question is are they going to do affordable care act, give us all it again. markets are going to be nervous a plan we'd love much better for a few weeks until they see than that, that it would be those oil fields are safe. and i think that you can cheaper, that everybody would probably still expect to see get it and instead he's done the reverse of that. about 10 or 15 cents more at the it's important for us going into this election to make very clear pump because of this hike. >> that's an interesting prediction. that he's -- that's his record, kevin hassett, thank you very much. >> great to be back. thanks. taking insurance away from everybody. every single democrat believes >> kevin is the most smiley we should have universal health economist i've ever seen. care coverage. and so, of course, i wouldn't he's the happiest economist i've support his plans over theirs.
4:24 am
ever seen. it's helpful. he has no plan. >> despite the warning of >> this i understand is a possible future peril. seven-figure ad buy in iowa >> but he was smiling during the peril. which is a substantial amount of that's what's important. secretary of state mike money. even more so given, and i'm not pompeo heading to saudi arabia at this moment. telling you anything you don't the kingdom plans to show evidence that it says proved know, your current standing in iran was behind the attacks on the polls. i'm looking at just 1%. its oil refineries. how will the u.s. respond? so is this throwing good money and more importantly can the after bad in a campaign sense? u.s. sell its policy to the why do you think this money will world when the trump administration has serious make a difference in your credibility problems? campaign? >> it's an opportunity to talk those darn seatbelts got me all crumpled up. that's ok! to voters in iowa. hey, guys! i had a decision to make, as you hi mrs. patterson... kindly point out. i'm at 1% in the polls. i also don't have unlimited wrinkles send the wrong message. resources. and so i had to decide whether sorry. help prevent them before they start to spend the money that i had, with new downy wrinkleguard. you know, money laundering on facebook to get the contributions to make the debate stage or communicating with voters in iowa just at a moment when they're beginning to pay attention to this race. and i decided that i wanted to talk to the voters in iowa. that's what i'm doing. spending nim iowa and new
4:25 am
hampshire because they'll make the early decision about who they want to move forward in this race. >> you say money laundering on facebook. what do you mean? >> well, the dnc, for the debate, required that we have 130,000 individual contributions. and what you have seen is candidates who are having to spend $70 in order to get $1 worth of contributions. that's a terrible way to run this primary, and i didn't want any part of that. >> i want to ask you about something corey lewandowski said yesterday during the hearing which he has no obligation to be candid to the media but he suggested that unless he's under oath, there's no reason for him what might seem like a small cough or obligation for him to tell can be a big bad problem for your grandchildren. babies too young to be vaccinated against whooping cough the truth. as someone who is in public are the most at risk for severe illness. office, what do you see as your help prevent this! talk to your doctor or pharmacist today obligation to the truth? >> well, i can tell you the "des about getting vaccinated against whooping cough. moines register" ran an editorial, the title of which
4:26 am
was, michael bennet pounds truth into this campaign. and that's the reason i'm running for president. my oldest daughter said to me, dad, if you run and tell the truth and you lose, nobody can fault you for it. and i said to her, that's good because there's no other reason for me to run. and there's no other way for me to win. and i think it's critical at this moment in our history for politicians to tell the truth to talk to your doctor or pharmacist today the american people. we've accepted a president in ♪ ♪ the white house who lies day after day after day. award winning interface. he's told more than 12,000 lies ♪ ♪ since he's been president of the united states. and i don't care what corey award winning design. lewandowski has to say about ♪ ♪ this. of course you should tell the award winning engine. truth if you are an elected ♪ ♪ the volvo xc90. official or has the public trust or frankly, somebody who is our most awarded luxury suv. going on television. the issues are too important for ♪ ♪ us not to do that. and if we continue down the road we're headed, we're going to be the first generation of americans to leave less opportunity, not more to the
4:27 am
people coming after us. that's the truth. and it's painful. as somebody who has been a former school superintendent, somebody who knows that today, as you and i are talking, there are kids showing up in schools all over america that aren't good enough for them. but they're willing to come do their work and tell the truth. we owe it to them to get our politics back to a place where we're focused on them, focused on the future and where we've put this three-ring circ urks including corey lewandowski behind us. this great nation can't put up with this anymore. that's why i'm running for president. >> senator michael bennet, thanks for being with us. thank you to our international viewers. "cnn newsroom with max foster" is next. for the rest of you, we're following the election in israel and we have corey lewandowski live, just moments away. "new day" continues now.
4:28 am
>> the white house has directed i not disclose the substance any of discussions with the president or his advisers. >> you didn't think that was illegal to obstruct justice? >> he lied to their faces. he has no privileges. he has no immunity. >> subpoenaed three witnesses to this hearing. the white house is blocking the first two, tightly limiting the third. >> this is not my privilege but i'm respecting the white house's decision. >> it was a very bad day for the house democrats. it just looked desperate and pathetic. >> mr. lewandowski attempted to obstruct justice once again. >> why do we engage in a charade that's misunderstood by my democratic colleagues. >> i think they love their president more than they love their country. >> this is "new day" with alisyn camerota and john berman. it is wednesday, september 18th. this was billed as the first new this morning, an official impeachment hearing into president trump. the president's former campaign official tells cnn a forensic manager corey lewandowski
4:29 am
report is being prepared to testified for nearly six hours. piece together who they say carried out the attack on two and testified may be should be saudi oil fields and whou it was in quotation marks. carried out. this comes as mike pompeo is set he said stuff out loud. some were stuff to questions. to meet with the crowned prince others, not so much. about a, quote, coordinated he stonewalled about his interactions with president trump and potential episodes of response. obstruction clearly laid out in joining me now is tim kaine of the mueller report. virginia. he serves on the senate foreign >> congressman, the white house relations committee. senator, when you hear coordinated response with saudi has suggested i not discuss arabia, what do you take away from that? the -- the white house has >> well, when i hear coordinated directed i not disclose the response or the president and vice president saying we're substance any of discussions. locked and loaded, i worry that they're going to take military action. and there is absolutely no reason for the u.s. to go to war or engage in military action to protect saudi oil. zero. let the saudis defend themselves. we sell them weapons. we give them advice. that's one thing. but to be engaged in military action, another war in the middle east, a war to protect saudi oil, and a war based on what i believe is some fundamental mistruths that the
4:30 am
administration is promoting is a disaster. >> what mistruths? >> they're saying the attack was unprovoked. the u.s. is provoking iran. we were in a diplomatic deal with them that allowed them to sell their oil. we pulled out of the deal, the u.s. pulled out. and we've punished their oil economy. and so iran -- and again, iran is not a good actor. you don't have to like this, but we are provoking iran every day with the sanctions and with military action and their responding. we need to stop the provocation and the united states needs to return to trying to be a diplomatic broker. >> are you suggesting that iran had to do this attack when you're saying the attack was provoked, are you victim blaming here for this? no. what i'm saying is they're a bad actor. but when the administration says the attack was unprovoked, that's what lbj said about the gulf of tonkin back in vietnam and it was a lie. and the administration is lying to the american public by saying this was an unprovoked attack.
4:31 am
>> yes, believe me, i understand the united states pulled out of the iran nuclear deal. but that in and of itself doesn't mean that iran had to do this. >> not only did we pull out of the nuclear deal, iran's economic sector is based on energy. and we blocked them from selling oil. so there's a reaso administratis
4:32 am
4:33 am
4:34 am
4:35 am
4:36 am
4:37 am
4:38 am
4:39 am
4:40 am
4:41 am
4:42 am
4:43 am
4:44 am
4:45 am
4:46 am
4:47 am
4:48 am
4:49 am
4:50 am
4:51 am
4:52 am
4:53 am
4:54 am
4:55 am
4:56 am
4:57 am
4:58 am
4:59 am
5:00 am

54 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on