Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  September 19, 2019 11:00pm-12:00am PDT

11:00 pm
there were some actually substantive admissions in there. he admitted that he asked the ukraine government to investigate joe biden in that interview. he didn't realize he did, just as corey lewandowski probably didn't realize he was going to admit that he lies to the media, or that the president committed obstruction of justice or asked him to do something that he was, you know -- that was not lawful. >> yeah. >> i think that it was -- but i think that that was -- it was important, the admissions that he -- his performance was important, and also what he ended up admitting, very important as well. >> yeah, i -- >> it's a tactic. it's a tactic. >> there's no question. i call those "attack-tics." they've become the new normal. it's very pronounced. people say, how do you keep your cool? i know what it is. this one was a little different than others because i've known rudy giuliani most of my life. i have always respected him. i have a lot of questions about
11:01 pm
what he's decided to do for this president and what it will cost him ultimately. but the kinds of personal insults, i didn't really expect that from him. not to me. at the beginning he was saying, no, i'm just talking about the institution, i'm talking about the cnn, the media. but it wasn't. it was personal. >> but you know what that is, that's an audience of one. >> look, that's -- that's fine. i know what the president has told his followers to feel about me and what it's okay to do. and i forgive all of that because i know how to do the job. and you're not going to get to me by coming at me personally, as long as my kids aren't around. >> right. >> and i want people to see it, don. i want people to see that when faced with questions that any capable lawyer could deal with pretty easily, do you know what the president said to the guy? no. all right, so we don't really know what he said, but if he was saying anything about cleaning up your country, you're fine. what about that 250 they released too soon? you're going to have to show me more than that. the president didn't know what you were doing? no, not until afterwards. there are easier ways to get around it but they're using the
11:02 pm
attack mechanism because they think it works for them and i want people to see that. that's what this election is about. it's about what you accept and what you reject. >> he admitted he asked ukraine to investigate joe biden and said even if the president did it, it's allowed, in that interview. that's what he said to you. >> if the president did what? i think he was saying, if the president said clean up your country and corruption or you're not getting money from us, that's okay. >> yeah. >> if he tied it to a more personal interest, it could be a little suspicious, especially when we don't get any readouts of any of these things. obviously if it were so benign, unless this complainer, this whistle-blower, is completely incredible, which is hard to believe, because the ig had to assess it in order to find their own threshold finding, which rudy giuliani was way off about, denigrating the ig, who by the way was picked by this president. so that becomes relevant. why did the person get so upset? why did the ig believe the claim?
11:03 pm
why did they think they rose to this level? that's all relevant in the assessment. >> let's talk about what he said about joe biden. i know you did the fact check. i'm going to have you for a little bit. i know you did the fact check. >> i have it right here. >> 20 minutes -- just a couple. then you can talk. i want to read part of it from cnn. it says, giuliani's story is littered with holes. according to a report from bloomberg, the ukraine's government's case against burisma had been dormant since 2014. two years before joe biden successfully pushed to remove the prosecutor general, biden was also joined in his anti-corruption push against the prosecutor by numerous leaders in europe as well as the international monetary fund, none of whom had any family ties to burisma, which was the company -- >> hunter biden was on the board, and that did create a conflict of interest for joe, no question about it. >> and should be investigated. >> they did investigate it. >> they did.
11:04 pm
let me read from the "washington post." it says, joe biden traveled to the ukraine, as you said. it was not a demand to stop burisma prosecution and there's no evidence the prosecutor was after hunter biden, the current prosecutor general in ukraine said he had no evidence of wrongdoing by either biden. politifact. we found no evidence to support the idea that joe biden advocated with his son's interests in mind, as the message suggests. it's not even clear that the company was actually under investigation or that a change in prosecutors benefited it. that's three. there are probably 20 more, but go on. you read one as well. >> the missing piece of the analysis for mr. giuliani is that he makes it sound like joe biden was acting on his own, when he was acting as an agent of the united states as its vice president. so that would mean that the whole government was trying to
11:05 pm
protect hunter biden. and again, hunter biden was in a position -- >> the european government as well. >> -- that created conflict for the father. that's right, that people were moving on this prosecutor, the timing doesn't set up just right. but this is the problem with a conflict of interest, and this is the problem with a conspiricist, which is conflict of evidence makes everything look stinky, so the standard is smells bad, people think it's bad. and support a conspiracist you only need a little bit. so instead of dealing with what this president is going through, what this whistle-blower said, what the dni is being told by someone to hold on to, is of no interest to mr. giuliani, he knows nothing about it. he's heard nothing about it. the president doesn't understand what he would have been saying to the president of ukraine. what are the chances that you're representing somebody, going through all this effort to do all these things in the ukraine, and you tell them nothing about it until you do it and tell them after? boy is that convenient. mr. giuliani has reconciled everything that's happened with this president in the light that's best to him even when the facts don't support it. he was right about one thing, he
11:06 pm
didn't vindicate him, that's for damn sure, but he kept him out of the chair across from mueller, and that made all the difference. >> i kept saying this during the interview. wait. is this -- this isn't what -- that's not even the question that you asked. that's not why he came on. >> he was coming from a place of intense anger. >> yeah. >> i know that place. i just wasn't in it during that interview. because i don't need to be there when we're trying to swap facts and understand a situation. i don't need to go at him personally. >> you made my crew laugh in here. i know that place too, i've seen it. i'm with you. >> i just -- i'm just happy people saw it. >> you kept your cool. >> the state of play on and off camera now. >> you kept your cool. >> anything that happens that the administration doesn't like, they will say anything about you, your family, personally, to try to show where it's coming from, sad statement. >> and cnn. they attacked the network and whatever, hey. truth matters. thank you, sir. good to see you, great interview. >> always a pleasure. >> you as well. thank you, sir.
11:07 pm
this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. here's our breaking news tonight, we have some new revelations about the president's communication with a foreign leader. the communication that prompted a whistle-blower complaint and a showdown with congress. here's what "the washington post" is reporting tonight that the whistle-blower's complaint involves ukraine. we know that the president spoke with ukraine's leader on july 25th, 2 1/2 weeks before the complaint was filed. a call already being investigated by house democrats who want to know whether the president and rudy giuliani pressured ukraine into pursuing politically motivated investigations to help the president's re-election effort. rudy giuliani, who frankly, let's just be honest, he sounded unhinged. bobbing, weaving, insulting, going on tangents, trying to distract with wild and free -- evidence-free claims about joe
11:08 pm
biden and saying this to chris tonight. >> will you finally answer my question now that we're 12 minutes in? >> do we really believe he didn't know his son was under investigation? >> why won't you answer the question? >> what's the question? >> thank you. did the president talk to the ukrainian president about what he wanted done with joe biden and what he wanted done with paul manafort? >> i have no idea, i never asked him that, i don't know if he did, and i wouldn't care if he did, he had every right to do it as president. he had every right to say to the ukrainian president, we have two outstanding allegations of massive corruption -- >> did he ask you to do what you were doing? >> no, i did what i did on my own -- >> really? >> and then i told him about it afterwards because i'm his lawyer. >> believe me, we've got a whole lot more on the breaking news tonight. okay? but all of this is an example of the way the president uses power when he believes his word is law. he's using his power to try to
11:09 pm
bury that whistle-blower's urgent complaint. the white house and the doj advising the nation's top intelligence agency not to share that urgent complaint with congress. democrats are furious. intel committee chairman adam schiff saying the system is broken. >> if in a matter within the jurisdiction of the director of national intelligence you have an employee of that community who follows the law and makes a complaint, and it is possible for the subject of that complaint to essentially quash the complaint or keep it from congress, then this system is badly broken. >> congressman mike quigley, a democrat on the committee, blasting the doj and the attorney general bill barr. >> mr. barr and the department of justice's job, in their mind, is to protect the president.
11:10 pm
and it doesn't matter that violates the laws. >> that gentleman right there, congressman quigley, is going to be here in just a moment. i'm going to speak with him. the president tweeting this this morning, that virtually anything he speaks on the phone to a foreign leader, he understands there may be many people listening from agencies in this country and the other country. going on to tweet, knowing all of this, is anybody dumb enough to believe that i would say something inappropriate with a foreign leader while on such a potentially heavily populated call? i would only do what is right anyway and only do good for the usa and going on to claim presidential harassment. hmm.
11:11 pm
the president asking whether anyone is, his words, dumb enough to believe that he would say something inappropriate to a foreign leader. okay. let's review, shall we? this is the president who gave classified information to the russian ambassador and foreign minister in the oval office the day after he fired james comey in part for not stopping the russia investigation, leading to a secret mission to extract one of the highest level covert sources from inside the russian government. that mission driven by fears over that oval office meeting. this is the president who stood next to vladimir putin in helsinki and took his word over our own intelligence committee, saying he did not see any reason to believe russia was behind
11:12 pm
interference in our 2016 election. >> my people came to me, dan coats came to me and some others, they said they think it's russia. i have president putin, he just said it's not russia. i will say this, i don't see any reason why it would be. >> this is the president who has gone to great lengths to hide details of what he's discussed in private talks with putin and even shared a joke about russia's continuing election meddling with the russian president. >> will you tell russia not to meddle? >> yes, of course, i will. don't meddle in the alex perezs, please. don't, don't. >> this is how the president uses his power when he believes his word is law. is anybody dumb enough?
11:13 pm
a lot more for you tonight on our breaking news. new revelations about that explosive whistle-blower complaint, about the president's communication with a foreign leader, now reportedly involving ukraine. we're going to dig into all the latest details with shane harris who broke the story for "the washington post" and cnn's evan perez next. morning. what are you doing? isn't it obvious? nah. we're delivering live market coverage and offering expert analysis completely free. we're helping you make sense of the markets without cable or a subscription from anywhere you are. i get that. but what are you doing here? nice pajamas. really? i say pajamas. pajamas, pajamas, whichever. good. yahoo finance live. stream free anywhere. welcome to the show. let's make finance make sense. imagine a world where nothing gets in the way of doing great work.
11:14 pm
where an american icon uses the latest hr tools to stay true to the family recipe. where a music studio spends less time on hr and payroll, and more time crafting that perfect sound. where the nation's biggest party store can staff up quickly as soon as it's time for fun. this is the world of adp. hr, talent, time, benefits and payroll. designed for people.
11:15 pm
"burger! i want a sugar cookie! i want a bucket of chicken! i want....."
11:16 pm
"it's the easiest, because it's the cheesiest" kraft. for the win win. time to get in a tree, nock an arrow, and disappear. this is what you prepared for. he's moving more in daylight and whenever you can, you'll be hunting dawn to dusk. this is what you live for. it's your season. so hurry in to bass pro shops and cabela's to stock up now on all your opening day essentials at big savings. it's the outdoor traditions sale at bass pro shops and cabela's. your adventure starts here.
11:17 pm
we're back and here's our breaking news tonight. "the washington post" reporting the whistle-blower complaint at the center of the showdown between congress and the executive branch involves ukraine. joining me now is shane harris who broke the story for the "post." cnn's evan perez with us as inform gentlemen, good evening. thank you so much for joining us. shane, your reporting says the whistle-blower complaint involves ukraine. what can you tell us? >> right now what we know is building on our reporting from yesterday, that there is an allegation of some kind of promise that the president made to a foreign leader. it would appear that does involve the country of ukraine. we don't know precisely the allegation that the whistle-blower is making in terms of what it was that he saw with regards to the president's contacts or interactions with people in that country that led
11:18 pm
him to file this complaint with the inspector general. but we do know some interesting things about the timing. this complaint was filed about 2 1/2 weeks, so not very long after the president had a phone call with the president of ukraine. and there was a lot of activity going on in that period as well that eventually came to light about the administration's efforts to slow roll funding to ukraine as part of a military aid package then the issue around the biden investigation. there are a lot of dots lining up with this story. >> all of this is happening, shane, as the house democrats are looking into whether president trump and his attorney rudy giuliani were attempting to get the ukrainian government looking into the president's election campaign. could that be connected into the promise the president made to a foreign government? >> we don't know but i think that's an important question to ask and certainly one -- >> alleged promise but go on. >> right, right. when the question is a promise made to somebody in the context
11:19 pm
of president trump or any president for that matter what -- you're promising something in return for something we might speculate. there's a question around is there some kind of negotiation or contact, conversation going on? but these are some of the -- these events that appear to be at least happening around the same time, whether they're coincidental or not, that's a lot of what's driving questions for us and members of congress as well. >> okay, evan, let's bring you in here. did you see the rudy giuliani interview? >> we saw it. >> let's review. rudy giuliani just admitted to chris that he did ask ukraine's government to investigate biden. listen to the heated exchange, then we'll talk. >> did you ask the ukraine to investigate joe biden? >> no, actually, i didn't. i asked the ukraine to investigate the allegations that there was interference in the election of 2016 by the ukrainians for the benefit of hillary clinton for which there
11:20 pm
already -- >> you never asked anything about hunter biden, you never asked anything about joe biden -- >> the only thing i asked about joe biden is to get to the bottom of how it was that witsenko, who was appointed -- >> right. >> dismissed the case against -- >> you did ask ukraine to look into joe biden -- >> of course i did. >> you just said you didn't. >> hmm. evan, he denied it then he admitted it. >> right, i mean -- that's how it goes with rudy. rudy has publicly said he thought this was something the ukrainians needed to look into. the idea that there was some kind of quid pro quo that happened on behalf -- on the part of joe biden, you know, during the time that he was vice president, that he was pushing to fire a prosecutor as some kind of a favor to try to essentially help his son and his own business dealings in ukraine. so we've heard this, some of these public statements from rudy. it was kind of interesting to see him sort of try to navigate that tonight. but he ended up exactly where he has before.
11:21 pm
>> so -- >> no, i know. honestly, it reminds me of the -- it's weird but it does, this phony phone call on the howard stern show where the person will say to the radio person, whoever they're calling, you know your show is terrible but i love it, i get a lot out of it. you know you're a liar but you're telling the truth. the person goes along with it. it's just -- it's unbelievable. rudy giuliani will say one thing in one sentence, in one breath, and then completely contradict what he says in the very next sentence, in the very next breath. i want you to take a listen to rudy giuliani's answer with chris when he asked if the president spoke with ukraine's president about joe biden and paul manafort, watch this. >> will you finally answer my question now that we're 12 minutes in? >> do we really believe he didn't know his son was under investigation. >> why won't you answer the
11:22 pm
question this. >> what is the question? >> thank you. did the president talk to the ukrainian president about what he wanted done with joe biden and what he wanted done with paul manafort? >> i have no idea, i never asked him that, i don't know if he did, and i wouldn't care if he did, he had every right to do it as president of the united states. he had every right to say to the ukrainian president, we have two outstanding allegations of massive corruption -- >> did he ask you to do what you were doing? >> no, i did what i did on my own and i told him about it afterwards because i'm his lawyer. >> well, there was a lawyer who said something similar and we know what happened. but listen, evan, is that true? i mean, does he have the right to do that as president? >> well, he does have the right to tell the ukrainians, if we're going to give you money, we want to make sure you are doing everything you can to fight corruption. what i think is the question you're asking is whether it's an abuse of power by the president if he's essentially holding aid hostage, if he's using the purse of the u.s.
11:23 pm
government and taxpayers to get political gain from this foreign country. i think that is where i think voters are going to have to make that decision, perhaps members of congress, who can investigate it and determine whether the president is abusing his power. i think that's where that will lie. i'm not sure that rudy really is inviting that, but i think that's where this will go if this is indeed what the allegation is. >> shane, thank you, we appreciate you and the reporting. thank you for joining us and we'll see you next time. okay? evan, we'll see you at the top of the next hour, appreciate it. the house intel committee briefed behind closed doors today on this whistle-blower complaint. i'm going to speak to a member of that committee about what he heard and didn't hear, congressman mike quigley next. at t-mobile, we can't give you unlimited summer, but we can give you unlimited talk, text and data for just $30 a line for 4 lines. and that comes on our newest signal. no signal reaches farther or is more reliable.
11:24 pm
so you can... share more sunsets. stream more videos. and stay connected with friends while you slide into fall. all for just $30/line. and for a limited time, you can get free smartphones too! come to t-mobile now and get new 4 lines of unlimited and 4 free phones for just 30 bucks a line! ♪ ever since you brought me home, that day. i've been plotting to destroy you. sizing you up... calculating your every move. you think this is love? this is a billion years of tiger dna just ready to pounce. and if you have the wrong home insurance coverage, you could be coughing up the cash for this. so get allstate and be better protected from mayhem,
11:25 pm
like me-ow. so get allstate and be better protected from mayhem, ♪ ♪ award winning interface. ♪ ♪ award winning design. ♪ ♪ award winning engine. ♪ ♪ the volvo xc90. our most awarded luxury suv. ♪ ♪ should always be working harder.oney that's why your cash automatically goes into a money market fund when you open a new account. and fidelity's rate is higher than e*trade's,
11:26 pm
td ameritrade's, even 9 times more than schwab's. plus only fidelity has zero account fees and zero minimums for retail brokerage and retirement accounts. just another reminder of the value you'll only find at fidelity. open an account today. thanks to priceline working with top airlines to turn their unsold seats into amazing deals, family reunion attendance is up. we're all related! yeah, i see it. and because priceline offers great deals by comparing thousands of prices in real time, sports fans are seeing more away games. various: yeah-h-h! is that safe? oh, y... ahh! not at all. no, ma'am. nope. and more people than ever are enjoying romantic getaways. (romantic music) that's gross priceline. every trip is a big deal.
11:27 pm
juul record. that's gross they took $12.8 billion from big tobacco. juul marketed mango, mint, and menthol flavors, addicting kids to nicotine. five million kids now using e-cigarettes. the fda said juul ignored the law with misleading health claims. now juul is pushing prop c, to overturn san francisco's e-cigarette protections. say no to juul, no to big tobacco,
11:28 pm
no to prop c. so here's our breaking news tonight. "washington post" is reporting that the whistle-blower complaint about president trump made by an intelligence official involves ukraine. i want to bring in congressman mike quigley, illinois democrat, who is a member of the intelligence committee. good to see you as always, thank you for coming in. >> thank you. >> i want your reaction to the "washington post's" reporting that the whistle-blower's complaint involves ukraine. is this new to you? did any suggestion of this come up in today's meeting with the intel ig? >> not at all. i think the ig, while a trump appointee, is a very straight arrow. he was on point and stressed other things that are extremely important.
11:29 pm
but the issue of subject matter was not brought up or discussed. >> sp what you discussed was -- what's your concern level about what you heard? >> well, let's say this. he talked about the fact that it was urgent and credible, that it was corroborated, and it involved one of the most important functions that the dni carries out, its responsibilities to the american people. that's scary enough. and he stressed the fact that -- i guess i'd put it this way in a democracy, we have an intelligence community that operates in secret. and that's necessary. but that system only works in a democracy when there is a functioning oversight by the congress. and when there is the opportunity for whistle-blowing. what the ig stressed today is all that is at risk with the dni's action blocking the law, blocking this complaint going to congress as is prescribed.
11:30 pm
>> so then why would the president -- you saw him, i don't know if you saw him on twitter today, downplayed, called it fake news, also his acolytes as well, his apologists, i.e., rudy giuliani, others, conservative media -- why would they downplay this if his own ig is saying it is credible and corroborated? >> the president doesn't care about the truth. the president has never in his life been held accountable for any of his actions. and one of the reasons he's successful is he's a bully and he can lie with an incredibly straight face, and his base will back him up no matter what he says. and if a law is allowed to be violated in this manner, he'll get away with it again. >> do you think the white house and the justice department are trying to cover up wrongdoing on the part of the president? >> i think that the attorney general applied for this office by writing a memo attacking the special counsel's investigation of the president.
11:31 pm
he's done nothing since then but be the lap dog of this president, protecting him, holding press conferences on his behalf. i think that in the end what the russians did to this country, i think mike morrell described as the political equivalent of 9/11. i think what we're continuing to witness is the fact that the president's reaction to what the russians did will have a longer-term, more negative impact on our democracy, the independence and the integrity of the justice department and the intelligence community, it will take years to recover. >> let me ask you this because you mentioned rudy giuliani. the "post" reports that democrats are already examining whether trump and rudy giuliani sought to manipulate ukrainian government into helping trump's re-election campaign. giuliani just told chris that he did ask ukraine to investigate joe biden after first denying that. what's your reaction? >> my reaction is, what is rudy's role?
11:32 pm
he says he does something and then tells the president. as an attorney for ten years i absolutely never did that. is he acting in his official capacity or unofficial capacity? obviously he isn't in any official position where he had to be approved by the senate. what acts are he carrying out? how much of it is for his personal gain? how much of it is to protect the president of the united states? carry out methods that can only be described as byzantine and bizarre. >> congressman, the acting dni, joseph maguire, will appear before your committee next week. how do you get him to change his mind and release this complaint to you? >> i don't know that we will. i think we can educate and inform the american public that the law is being violated, pointing out that the statutes say he shall turn this information over, pointing out the attack on the democratic process, why it matters to the integrity of the intelligence community and the work that it does.
11:33 pm
the fact that it really challenges our national security. so i don't know that we're going to convince him. i think it begins with the justice department, changing their opinion about the law, an opinion which is obviously in violation of that same law. >> congressman quigley, it's always a pleasure to have you on, we appreciate you joining us, thank you so much. >> any time, thank you. >> much more on our breaking news tonight, the whistle-blower complaint about president trump reportedly involves ukraine. that as rudy giuliani tries to distract and defend his boss tonight on cnn. we're family. we'd do anything for each other.
11:34 pm
but this time... those bonds were definitely tested. frog leg, for my baby brother don't frogs have like, two legs? so they should have two of these? since i'm active duty and she's family, i was able to set my sister up with a sweet membership from navy federal. if you hold it closer, it looks bigger. eat your food my big sis likes to make tiny food. and i'm okay with that. navy federal credit union. our members, are the mission. billions of problems. morning breath? garlic breath? stinky breath? there's a therabreath for you. therabreath fresh breath oral rinse instantly fights all types of bad breath and works for 24 hours. so you can... breathe easy. there's therabreath at walmart.
11:35 pm
i'm about to capture proof of the ivory billed woodpecker. what??? no, no no no no. battery power runs out. lifetime retirement income from tiaa doesn't. guaranteed monthly income for life. nooooo!
11:36 pm
11:37 pm
here's our breaking news, the explosive whistle-blower
11:38 pm
complaint about president trump's communication with a foreign leader reportedly involves ukraine. that as a very, very, very combative rudy giuliani tries to defend his boss, the president, right here on cnn. so let's discuss. samantha vinegrad, biden institute, part of university of delaware. also mr. evan mcmullin and sean turner. good evening, one and all. sam, i've got to ask, you heard rudy giuliani with chris earlier. that fiery interview. first rudy giuliani denied asking ukraine to investigate biden, then admitted he did. give me -- well, do we want to play this? okay. give me your reaction. >> my reaction is that i feel like we're watching vladimir putin's best fantasy play out in realtime. we have the president of the united states sending his personal lawyer to do business that's personal in nature, it does not represent the interests of the united states. what we're seeing is some kind of quid pro quo potentially play out whereby the president is trying to solicit help in the 2020 campaign by getting dirt on a political opponent, and at the same time, don, the president
11:39 pm
put very significant security assistance to ukraine on hold while rudy giuliani was on this political smear campaign. so the interests of the united states are a secondary priority, seemingly, to president trump's desire to get dirt on a political opponent. that impacts every american's national security. if the president's personal or political agenda as represented by rudy giuliani comes first, and we're withholding security assistance to ukraine, which is used, by the way, to defer russian aggression, that means that the best interests of the united states come after the president's personal needs. >> sean, a few things here. first, when he says that the president has every right to do it, does he? >> well, it depends, don. look, the challenge we find ourselves in is one in which the president's staunchest supporters, people like rudy giuliani, truly believe that there's absolutely nothing that the president can do to violate
11:40 pm
the law. but that's not true, as we all know now, because the president -- we've seen the mueller report. look, the president has wide authority when it comes to national security, when it comes to national security information. as we know, he can -- if he utters classified information, it is declassified simply by his utterance. however, in this case, we may not be talking about a matter of whether or not this is legal or illegal. look, if the president is, as the reporting suggests, saying to the ukrainian president that if he helps out with this biden investigation, that he may, as sam was pointing out, that he may release funds to support their fight against -- the push in the fight against russia, then what the president is doing is he's using that, his position, using his authority to basically circumvent our national security interests. now is there a law that says that the president can't do that? no, it's open to interpretation. but certainly the president is
11:41 pm
behaving in a way that's inconsistent with his most important responsibility, and that is to safeguard and protect u.s. national security. >> so, evan, chris cuomo tried to ask about "the washington post's" reporting. i want you to watch this. >> what i can tell you is if what is reported is true, it doesn't make a damn -- it doesn't make any difference. if the president of the united states said to the president of ukraine, investigate the corruption in your country that has a bearing on our 2016 election, isn't that what he's supposed to do? what if -- unless you assume that the president's guilty, as opposed to the fact that those people in the ukraine were trying to frame the president, which is exactly what they were doing. >> what if he said, i have $250 million that you want -- >> if he said that? >> why don't you investigate what's happening with joe biden?
11:42 pm
>> chris tried to get what the promise in the "washington post" may have been, but giuliani dodged. what do you make of it? >> well, look, i think what he's dodging is what could have been a quid pro quo here, which is that the president may have been pursuing foreign assistance to help his re-election, and at the same time, offering this aid, money, or other help that he is able to offer by leveraging u.s. power, which he has a great deal of control over. and i think he may want to -- he may have wanted to avoid talking about that promise, if that's what it was. but in the question about whether the president has done something here that is actually illegal, if that's what happened, look, to me this sounds like the pursuit of a foreign campaign contribution. it's pursuing foreign assistance for your campaign. and just as sam was saying,
11:43 pm
using federal resources, federal power, in order to secure that campaign contribution. and that's illegal. you can't get foreign help like that. and if the president is so concerned that joe biden and his son committed some kind of crime, he could easily go to the authorities, to the fbi, and say, look, i think there may be something here, let's look into it. you don't go to the ukrainian government with your personal attorney to do that. if you think something was wrong, go to the fbi. >> would he be criticized for that as well, do you think? >> he might be and he should be. there's such an opportunity for corruption in that area, he should be criticized or scrutinized. the point is if you're going to do that, we have mechanisms for the investigation of criminal activities. these facts have been looked into and checked, by the way, and i think there probably was a conflict of interest there, but it doesn't mean a crime was committed. but that's what the president will do and giuliani will do. they will look for any crack or sign of malfeasance and try to
11:44 pm
turn it into something that it isn't. >> i got to get to the break. sam, as you were watching rudy giuliani, you were shaking your head, because? >> rudy giuliani is the president's personal lawyer. we have established legal mechanisms. if there is an issue between the united states, a legal one, an official one, between the united states and ukraine, rudy giuliani does not work for the u.s. government, he works for president trump. the hypocrisy of president trump and rudy giuliani talking about a familial conflict of interest is just overwhelming at this point. that's the elephant in the room. not to mention the policy and legal implications. >> all right. stick around, everyone. stay with me. i want to talk about just what sort of promise the president could have made to a foreign leader that would alarm the intelligence community so much. ♪ the amount of student loan debt i have i'm embarrassed to even say i felt like i was going to spend my whole adult life
11:45 pm
paying this off thanks to sofi, i can see the light at the end of the tunnel as of 12pm today, i am debt free ♪ not owing anyone anything is the best feeling in the world, i cannot stop smiling about it ♪ time to get in a tree, nock an arrow, and disappear. this is what you prepared for. he's moving more in daylight and whenever you can, you'll be hunting dawn to dusk. this is what you live for. it's your season. so hurry in to bass pro shops and cabela's to stock up now on all your opening day essentials at big savings. it's the outdoor traditions sale at bass pro shops and cabela's. your adventure starts here.
11:46 pm
so we reward every purchase . let's see what kate sent. for you. for all of us. that's for me. navy federal credit union our members, are the mission.
11:47 pm
driven each day to pursue bioplife-changing cures...ers. in a country built on fostering innovation. here, they find breakthroughs... like a way to fight cancer by arming a patient's own t-cells... and a new therapy that gives the blind a working gene so they can see again. because it's not just about the next breakthrough... it's all the ones after that. colon cancer screening for people 50 and older at average risk. i took your advice and asked my doctor to order cologuard, that noninvasive colon cancer
11:48 pm
screening test. the delivery guy just dropped it off. our doctor says it uses advanced science. it's actually stool dna technology that finds 92 percent of colon cancers. no prep, and private. colon cancer screening that's as easy as get, go, gone. ask your doctor if cologuard is right for you. covered by medicare and most major insurers.
11:49 pm
we're back now with sam, evan and sean. so, listen, sean, i want to read part of the intel inspector general's letter to the house intelligence committee responding to the dni saying that the complaint is not in our jurisdiction. michael atkinson writes i nevertheless respectfully disagree with the acting dni's conclusi conclusion that it doesn't contain any intelligence activity and that the disclosure, therefore, need not be transmitted to the congressional intelligence committees. so what atkinson is saying, i mean, this does concern -- this does concern intelligence activity. he disagrees with the doj and the dni. what do you think about how this is handled?
11:50 pm
>> well a couple things, it doesn't matter that he disagrees -- that the acting dni thinks this is not urgent. this doesn't matter. the statute gives the inspector general the authority and the responsibility to pass information on to members of congress. look, the problem is that there's only half of the question being answered here. if this information doesn't fall in the jurisdiction of the inspector general, then it has to fall under a different jurisdiction if there was violation of law. and what should happen in that case is it should be referred to the appropriate authority. if, on the other hand, this doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of the dni and it's also not legal, then there's absolutely in reason to withhold this information from members of congress and the american public. so in this case, what the acting dni needs to be and the justice department needs to answer the rest of the question. who does this belong to? if it belongs to no one and not illegal then why not share the information.
11:51 pm
>> interesting. evan, our other evan, evan perez reporting the whistle-blower's concerns arise in part from learning information not obtained during the course of their work, that they didn't have direct knowledge of the communication. so who is the pool of people we are talking about? >> who could have known about the conversation? it could have been somebody at the national security counsel. somebody at the white house who saw a readout of the call, if it was a call. we don't know for sure if that happened on -- which phone that happened. was ate personal phone? was it an official phone other people have access potentially to the calls. even if the president uses an unexpected phone. if, for example, we're collecting on a foreign leader and the president calls that foreign leader, we may collect that call. we may collect the contents of that call. some relatively junior people at the national security agency
11:52 pm
might see that. more senior officials than might also see that. in either case it's a very limited group of people. and i personally am worried about this whistle blower. there aren't that many people who would likely have access to the information. and i worry and i hope this person maybe isn't watching right now. because i worry over time that they could be discovered. their identity could be learned publicly. >> what do you think about the dan coats and his deputy the involvement or lack of this time? >> sue gordon? >> well, sue gordon's gone now. she was passed over. >> they left around the time this -- >> sue gordon was passed over for the acting director of the national intelligence job. one thing we do know, don, separate from this complaint that's really been bolstered by it is the president likes to install people in acting
11:53 pm
positions and senior positions that serve his personal interest. so at this point based upon the history that we have with president trump, and really choosing lieutenants to implement his personal agenda, mcgwire's status here, the acting director of national intelligence is in question. based upon the letter you just read the inspector general is saying the acting director of director of national intelligence actions don't follow past precedent. so there are a lot of questions as to why maguire is choosing to take this course of action rather than listening to his inspector general. there maybe valid legal arguments. we haven't seen them yet. >> it's like, well, why not transparency. that's what everyone is asking. why not be transparent about it. listen, i just want to read this tweet. from national security analyst. i think it's important to note it would almost certainly not be a crime for either the whistle-blower to commute the substance of the complaint to a gang of eight member in a secure space.
11:54 pm
they wouldn't be prosecuted. they would just be fired. interesting. okay. thank you, all. appreciate it. we'll be right back. >> thanks, don. fact is, every insurance company hopes you drive safely. but allstate actually helps you drive safely... with drivewise. it lets you know when you go too fast... ...and brake too hard. with feedback to help you drive safer. giving you the power to actually lower your cost. unfortunately, it can't do anything about that. now that you know the truth... are you in good hands?
11:55 pm
♪ ♪ award winning interface. ♪ ♪ award winning design. ♪ ♪ award winning engine. ♪ ♪ the volvo xc90. our most awarded luxury suv. ♪ ♪ we can't give you, unlimited summer, but we can give you unlimited talk, text and data for just $30 a line for 4 lines. and that comes on our newest signal. no signal reaches farther or is more reliable. so you can... share more sunsets. stream more videos.
11:56 pm
and stay connected with friends while you slide into fall. all for just $30/line. and for a limited time, you can get free smartphones too! come to t-mobile now and get new 4 lines of unlimited and 4 free phones for just 30 bucks a line! ♪ should always be working harder.oney that's why your cash automatically goes into a money market fund when you open a new account. and fidelity's rate is higher than e*trade's, td ameritrade's, even 9 times more than schwab's. plus only fidelity has zero account fees and zero minimums for retail brokerage and retirement accounts. just another reminder of the value you'll only find at fidelity. open an account today.
11:57 pm
11:58 pm
this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. we have five big headlines in the hour ahead.
11:59 pm
we begin with the breaking news. that whistle blower complaint about president trump communication with a foreign leader reportedly involves ukraine. all the new reflations coming up. the president's lawyer rudy giuliani admitting tonight on cnn that he did ask ukraine to investigate joe biden. after first denying that he did. and attorney general bill barr under fire. for advising the acting dni not to share the whistle blowers complaint. is he acting like the president's personal attorney instead of the chief law enforcement of the united states? we're going to talk about that. also, justin trudeau's growing black face scandal. the canadian prime minister now saying he does not know how many times he's worn black face in his life. and wealthy donor ed buck facing a federal charge for allegedly providing meth to a young man who died of an overdose. we'll get into all that this a
12:00 am
afternoon. but let's get to our breaking news right now. kaitlan collins and evan perez join me from washington. good evening to you. there are a lot of new developments tonight on this whistle blower story. take us through the latest reporting, please. >> don, the biggest new information comes from "the washington post," which is reporting that whatever it was that really raised concerns for this alleged whistle-blower to come forward to the inspector general had to do with some communication, some events that had to do with ukraine. and part appeared to be communication involving the president. at this point we don't know a lot of great detail about exactly the details of what exactly raised these concerns. what did the president say. what were these communications that were going on with this foreign leader. we now know that at least it had to do with ukraine. we simply also know -- we know that the trump administration has been holding up until recently about $250 million

41 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on