Skip to main content

tv   Book TV  CSPAN  November 29, 2010 1:00am-2:00am EST

1:00 am
>> first we are going to the conflict people. we are not sisters we are cousins. we are related because our fathers are first cousins and we are actually very, very close with as children and as adults, and indeed we did not meet until i was at stanford and she was speaking of the stanford law school. i had met her father many times as a little girl but when we would go to visit, connie was already in college and so we didn't meet that i knew of her because the tide had always come when someone would say you know, i saw you from los angeles and you're expecting news i would not have associated with your republican party. [laughter] in by would say well, they're goes my cousin again. [laughter] ..
1:01 am
a. >> it is a book about our families and how they were people who believe didn't social justice and a. >> first of all, the family is so proud of view it is a wonderful tribute, not just to your parents who were
1:02 am
beyond extraordinary but the whole family and i think they are extremely proud of this book. thank you for doing it. of this thing that is so moving about it, going through your early life, you show that you lived in the last chapter of the jim crow era and it is important to share that with the world. why was it important? >> as you might imagine you think what am i going to say after eight years? i was going to write and still writing the secretary of state memoirs of the last eight years what we did with foreign policy. but i am often asked the question that i decided i wanted to answer how did you get to be who you are? in order to know that you
1:03 am
have to know john and angelina rice part of the ordinary is because they were ordinary people. my mother was a high school teacher first english and one of her first students was willie mays and even though she knew nothing about the sport she said the sun you will be a ballplayer so if you need to leave class a little early you just go-ahead and do that. [laughter] she new talent when she saw it. she taught school. an elegant lady who was a musician, love to bring the arts to her students, particularly from this for high school that had operetta and she was a very elegant lady but ordinary person as a schoolteacher. my dad also was the high school guidance counselor
1:04 am
and later university administrator. he was an athlete and a big sports fan and my parents had a deal, connie, which may relate to you because your name and minor almost the same. had i been born a boy i was named john my father already bought the ball for john who would be the all-american linebacker if a girl my mother got to name condoleezza but they were that way ordinary. they never made more $60,000 between them but there is an educational opportunity that i did not have. the extraordinary part comes from the circumstances that you mention that i grew up in birmingham alabama, and
1:05 am
1954, i am 1955 -- 55 you do not have to count. i am 56 next month. [laughter] we move to denver when i was 12. you could not go to a restaurant or stay in a hotel or go to the movie theater but yet my parents and the people in our community was the result of this little enclave of a community called titusville they have the kids convinced we could not have a hamburger at the woolworth's lunch counter but we could be president of the united states. that is the extraordinary part because they believe very strongly backed if you could not control your circumstances which you could not, you could control your response. >> that is extraordinary.
1:06 am
because the be an ordinary as african-american men you have to have extraordinary capacity to rise above the gym grow oppression but the lesson from that still apply that to there is a way to rise above it without being better but had to face dignity with grace. jon come angelina, our great grandparents born slaves, we share great-grandparent's. and they were 12 and 13. we are four generations out of slavery which is the extraordinary advancement but yet to i know we share a passion for those who are still at the bottom and now they are out of the white
1:07 am
house you can help get the heavy lifting the end. >> first of all, if you don't consider yourself a victim and not given to bitterness and really do believe that as our parents as well you may have to be twice as good a added they said that by the way. it was a given. then you can overcome but we were very fortunate to we had parents and teachers who were there for us. we grew up in a community where our parents were educated and new how to deliver on that message. what i worry today are the kids that are trapped through poverty and race. for them, there is no way out if they cannot be educated. i can look at your zip code
1:08 am
to tell if you are going to get an education, and i can come by then we are doing something very, very wrong. we were fortunate that our grandparents were able to give to our parents the possibility of education. my grandfather, your grand uncle, is particularly interesting case his name was john wesley rice senior a sharecropper's son and they worked each other's land and -- in alabama and when john wesley decided he wanted book learning in a college of 13 he asked people coming through howl a colored man could be educated they told him about
1:09 am
spelman so he went off to college and his first year when it quickly then they sit houri going to pay for your second year? he said i am not a cotton how are those boys going to college? they want to be presbyterian ministers so they have a scholarship so my grandfather said that is exactly what i wanted to be. [laughter] and my family has been pressed to zero and and college-educated ever since. [laughter] they were very industrious people and a little ingenious. >> and also the republican party. [laughter] the party of lincoln i cannot say that it stayed that way but we are pretty much. except for me.
1:10 am
>> i don't know where you went from. [laughter] >> my father was a republican for it a totally instrumental reason. mentioning the horrors of the south and birmingham was the most segregated big city in america. when 9052 my parents were not married yet to but according and went down to register to vote to this is what you would have sued for connie but in those days you had a the poll tester who would ask questions and if you pass and then you can register. my mother who was fair skin, long hair the mahan said what a job do you have? i am a schoolteacher. then you know, who the first president of united
1:11 am
states. george washington. you go register. then he looked at my father as a big imposing man dark skin to 6-foot 2 inches and said how many beans are in that dark? there were hundreds. my father could not answer. he said you fail so he was very unhappy and was talking to mr. frank hunter and he said i will show you how. there is a clerk down there and she is a republican and and she is trying to build the republican party she will register anybody who says they are a republican. [laughter] you do not register by party by suspect this woman said i will registers and he kept his word and republican and the rest of his life.
1:12 am
very proud but came to it as a way to approach. >> when my grandfather put it the goldwater for president my grandmother made him sleep in the other bed. [laughter] but one of the other parts of the book that came through so loud and clear is you felt the fear. watching and on television and it was the first terrorism before rain new one national terrorism was about as a state sponsored terrorism of the white supremacist klan. now think of the kids to live in fear of a different kind of terrorism. just like the gang say and what you to hearken back to
1:13 am
that. >> terrorists have something yen, and whether the klan or the way that to gain sterilize a community or the terrorism lacy that we experience on the september 11 and. they want not just to frighten but terrorize to the point* they can humiliate and control. in fact,, they want to send a message, don't cross us. in deep, that is what was going on in birmingham 1962 and 1963. before the end birmingham was segregated and incidence from time to a dime but the thing now wanted to show but as a family is still give up every day go to school, church and have
1:14 am
piano and ballet so it is not if segregation was part of your life every day and people would lead normal lives but in 1962 and 1963 it was shattered and birmingham was called bombingham and they were going off all the time. are remember one night driving back from my grandparents and a loud explosion as we drove up to the house. you knew a bomb had gone off part of my father turned the car around and started driving and my mother said where you going? he said i am going to the police and she said they probably set off. there was no such thing as protection for black families. eugene was going to enforce segregation by whatever means necessary.
1:15 am
this reached the culmination september 1963 after a violent summer of marches marches, dr. king had realized there were not getting the response they wanted so they had a children's march where they went right into the teeth of the henchmen but september september 1963 we had just gotten to church and again a loud thud. everybody assumed it was in our community but it was 2 miles away and pretty soon the phone tree started and said there was a bomb at 16th street baptist church but then later said four little girls had been killed in the basement getting
1:16 am
ready for sunday's go. eight -- sunday school. then they said the names and little denise mcnair whom i had known from kindergarten, there is a picture of my father giving her her kindergarten graduation certificate and these four little girls were killed. i remember at the time that people must have a lot of hatred two keogh four little girls and being quite right and my dad sat on the porch that whole evening in the september heat with a shotgun on his lap and the next day they organized a neighborhood watch and they would patrol with their guns and go to the head of the community and wants in awhile to fire into the air to scare off nightriders
1:17 am
they did not shoot anybody but they would have. >> i remember my dad coming out that the bombing made headlines and he said what kind of country kills little girls? that was a turning point*. the way you tidy it up with the determination to keep a community together and to bridge with our allies and the white community, in the civil-rights revolution and so one of the things that struck me about the book tie together with those alliances, cross-cultural and we marched together to get birmingham into the 20th century. today we seem to be along the fault line and i want to
1:18 am
get your thoughts. >> anything project yearly when it comes to issues of race, we have to be very careful in the united states how we throw around titles like you are a racist. we have a birth defect called slavery. the worst thing you can say is you are a racist. we would do well to turn down the volume giving each other the benefit of the doubt and try to work on a common problems that affect
1:19 am
us all. i don't care what color but the interesting thing about segregation of birmingham is most dramatically black people but also white people in a negative way it took a birmingham day-long time, is still trying to overcome a lot of those scars known as bombingham and the most racist city in the united states. it has finally overcome the impetus because part of the reputation, the fact is racism had a very negative the fact on the the white community to my mother had a bad bronchial infection in my father had a mentor who
1:20 am
was the white director of guidance counseling and birmingham and my father went to him said my wife has a terrible infection can you recommended day dr.? iraqi recommended a white doctor. dr. carmike go. i was seven and the waiting room for blacks was a horrible paint peeling area hard benches. after he saw my mother 5:00 that afternoon on a saturday he said reverend, the next time you bring angelina you bring her after 5:00. and the white patient population was gone so we could sit in the front waiting room where there were leather chairs and magazines. pretty soon over time
1:21 am
dr. carr may go integrated his own way team room because for him, it was humiliating to have to treat someone like my father that way because of race. racism and segregation hurt not just the black community but the white community. gang violence and homelessness with which you are working and to the violence that comes with that, schools and are not preparing kids of united states of america is becoming more inward looking, more fearful, less likely to lead, that hurts not just the black kids caught in poverty or hispanics but they hurt us all but one thing that we can learn is bridging those
1:22 am
divides that is not really a matter of charity or reaching out to help somebody but he essential to who we are as a people and national security you talk about having to be twice as good. you have to compensate for color, race, language, and we take it for granted. is part of the problem we have not done our homework war the hard work we just want to gloss over and pretend we don't have to unpacked that suitcase? there is a lot of work to be done.
1:23 am
look at the joint history and one of the questions i had it is your dad and my dad used to ride around and for those families that could not get it together, to the family is that let holding it together and when we left and to move seeing on up, that fell apart. how do we make up for that? >> every system come of the black community very much had integrity in-- segregated birmingham. the middle-class lived not too far from the working class and the under class and my dad had a youth group
1:24 am
usa presbyterian so he could have dances i'd like the baptist. [laughter] said his church was really popular. [laughter] but there was a government bill lynch their part of the fellowship many say he would go door-to-door like my grandfather saying your child is smart she ought to go to college and i have a scholarship at tuskegee or spelman not even asking the parents do want your child to go to college. but my father was very middle-class church. one of the things they tell the story is my father had a picnic and unfortunately somewhere out teaching how
1:25 am
to shoot craps then they said they were not ready but four hour fathers, there were no class barriers when it came to make sure kids are educated and families were taken care of but as we moved out, the people who are left are the most damaged in our community and how we get that back now is one child at a time. i had parents. i had teachers but i don't care community leader, minister, every child has to have some adults to advocate. >> . a few questions but i cannot let you off this stage
1:26 am
without talking about carmike all. [laughter] >> that is actually a condi. >> a name out of the late '60s and early '70s was the firebrand leader of the student nonviolent coordinating committee one of the original black power people and my a dad in divided carmichael to speak it in 1966 and 67 much to the dismay of the power e late that thought he would start a riot. but my dad was attracted to the radical and of black politics and i have tried to understand why that is. the loves united states of america but fell the pride
1:27 am
he admired, the dignity with which the radicals confronted racism was with sublimation and not quite willing to march in 1962 and 63 are remembers standing myself and say they want us to be non-violent but if somebody comes after me with a billy club i will try to kill him then my daughter will be a number 10. i think he was attracted to people like that but i did say it was the talk around the radicals a round obama's i hope they don't know the people around our dinner table because there were fewer of them. [laughter] >> congratulations. is a wonderful book. [applause]
1:28 am
>> please wait for the microphone. my name is pastor patrick am born in birmingham a little bit to be for you. and what you said is absolutely true. my dad experienced a the same thing and one reason we had to come to california he
1:29 am
was almost run at of town and it is all in the book that i gave you earlier. god bless you with the encouragement for a long period of time i harbored the anger from when my dad was beaten back and birmingham and my mom went to tuskegee so it is about the same places and congratulations. my wife and i bought one and hopefully we will talk with you some time. one question. [laughter] who is your hero when you grew up? >> that is a good question their purse several. we may have been republican and but we loved the kennedys. president john f. kennedy and adored bobby kennedy.
1:30 am
i remember going to hear after the university of alabama integrated, going to hear bobby kennedy and being completely taken with him and totally devastated when he was assassinated here and los angeles. the kennedys were a huge. another person who was the local leader in birmingham that founded the early group had to leave because they were under threat to and they had not got 10 there do compared to the great national leaders and also a great hero.
1:31 am
>> i grew up better florida a lot of my friends and say is not the real south. i grew up in an all white community most of my life but i never experienced a lot of racism and tala went to northern florida and wants i moved out here, i talk about letting go and not harboring their resentment, what are some of the things you can encourage the younger kids of today to hold onto and remember to help them to transcend that to anger and reasor tammet? i had myself to learn to let it go and move past it too not use it as an excuse. >> that is a good question but fortunately my parents
1:32 am
some ways growing up in the segregated birmingham was an advantage because if you were in a totally segregated school, principles school, principles, teachers , students are all black, with the teacher said that is not good enough, there was no racial overtone. people could be tough on end insisting on an achievement and excellence without racial overtones somehow they're being racist comments but one of the most interesting things when i was at stanford was i suddenly realized the soft bigotry of low expectations that come in when people see black students. all of a sudden, they have a
1:33 am
tough time or maybe i should not say anything i went to my first ceremony in 1994 but in this group, if there was one black student. i thought this is odd prefer started looking and thinking and had a group partners of academic excellence to meet with freshman and to read their papers in the humanities course and the black graduate students with say how did you get to the letter eight? soft bigotry lower expectations so by that time they got too tough class as
1:34 am
they were not prepared so sometimes racism shows itself in very unexpected ways. it shows itself just not holding that person has quite equal but wanting the best for them and wanting to help them and patronizing them. i think one of the deepest problems we have and the schools are now as we're not expecting enough of every child and kids read it they know when you don't expect much of them and underperform. one of my answers to kids who are feeling bitterness is to put it aside. it is their problem not yours and if you let it become your problem you think yourself a victim then you'll the aggrieved and by
1:35 am
the way the twin brother is entitlement so now you call me out have to work for now yourn of bad road to nowhere and there are plenty of people who will play to that sense of victimhood and entitlement and you still have a job. so i really think our kids have got to find a way to be tougher with people who underestimate. >> my name is laying and my but talks about given the educational opportunity by your parents when you wake up at 430. i would stay and go ice skating so if there was the time you did not want to get up in the morning?
1:36 am
that extraordinary motivation to get all that? >> it is your internal motivation. >> you are the one who wanted to take ski team less sens what do you mean you do not want to get up? [laughter] i really was bad i am 5-foot 8 inches i have five ft. 10 in the legs it is the wrong sport i picked up a tennis racket i said why did you do that instead of skates on my feet per you wanted to stay i did not like getting about 4:30 a.m. to take you. [laughter] something i didn't learn it was hard i think i learned more overcoming some say that was hard mahan is something that was easy. i was a natural pianist and it was not that hard but a
1:37 am
parental intervention on the piano side when i was 10 years old i have been playing since i was three when i was 10 years of my wanted to quit and i said i want to quit piano. she said you are not old enough or good enough to make that decision. [laughter] years later when i was playing with yo-yo ma i was glad she did not let me quit to. part of it was self motivation and parents pushing to say you the one who wanted to do this. some of this, we did not want to disappoint their parents and we knew how much they put into wuss i did not want to disappoint them either. >> dr. rice thank you for joining as i grew up in the washington d.c. area born and raised in a graduate of notre dame undergrad the
1:38 am
zero irish. >> we have a little work to do. [laughter] >> a lot of work my question is political but i am very interested in what you think obama is doing really well. even more importantly what you think he should be doing better. >> i said but i left the government and i feel strongly when you are in office it is a lot hard day's charter then when you sit out here and it is really hard when people sure that you from the outside why did you do that? it is a lot easier. just as president bush said i feel that night at of the president and secretary
1:39 am
clinton might silence of i disagree, i will tell them and i know them all well enough that if there is something i'd like to say i will simply call up and say to secretary clinton and bob gates and others. i think we are very, very tough on our president. i will make two separate statements about presidents in general and one about our politics. we're tough on president's the day they are inaugurated this market is most amazing human being and one year later how did we ever elect him? i have watched it happen over and over it is still loneliest job in the world. it is now get tougher than being president of the united states. the people that we lacked to that office affair for the right reasons and sometimes
1:40 am
i disagree sometimes i agree but i will tell you i think is going on in apart from the of fenestration that what use the n these grass roots movement and i do not agree with everything that is said and dead tea party i am more pro free trade and immigration but what they are saying, the conversation in washington and around out here is not the same conversation per. and saying it across the board to washington d.c. and that is a healthy development because what concerns me about the united states at this point* is that we have lost our confidence and optimism as people. we're the most optimistic people on the face of the earth trust me i have been
1:41 am
on the face of the earth we are the most optimistic people on it but only when we are confident. when we have deficits roaring and cannot get jobless list -- down for immigration reform so we battle each other and the educational system is not delivering we're not confident. that is what people are saying whoever is president. >> i live in the south-central carry at and when you were at eight kid day do know you would be this big when you grew up. [laughter] >> thank you for asking that question. >> do you always have the state of mind you would do
1:42 am
better and make something out of your life that you would inspire young black women like me to do more? with that state of mind. >> guy has no idea i would end up as national security adviser or secretary of state. how old are you? when i was 16 i was going to be a great concert pianist. i have studied piano from the age of three and i was going to be great. then i went to the ass been a music festival school there were prodigies who could play from sight what it had taken me all year to learn and i thought i am about '02 go up against 13
1:43 am
year-old's abn we'll play nordstrom's but not carnegie hall. [laughter] i went home and have the following conversation with my parents remember this. mom and dad i am changing my major. what to? >> i don't know you don't know what you want to do with my life. >> it is our money. find a major. i tried literature i hated it. i a tried state and local government i had to the single most boring man i have met to this day the of water management director and then taught by a soviet specialist madam albright's father he taught me about diplomacy and things the international and the soviet union and all of a sudden i
1:44 am
knew what i wanted to do i told my parents i wanted to be a soviet specialist fortunately they said what is a nice and polite girl talking about? they said go for it. first of all, nobody is so confident nobody is so confident that their age they will be sure that they will not be terrific. put people of that, but it there is something wrong with them. [laughter] second you need to find what you are passionate about not what you like but what is really interesting to you? you have a long time to do that with a couple more years of high school and college. you have time. >> i will graduate next
1:45 am
year. >> you are ahead of the game but i was a junior in college so go to college, the go to school and take glasses and try things that are hard to come and not easy learn to right to view are good at writing takes some math and you will find what interest you. >> when you were at kid? >> i am not sure you do know what you want to do and it is not what i am doing. my point* is take the time to not plan every step try to get good at what you do then when you do something great, you will realize it came because you gave yourself time to find your passion. by the way it may not we something people will say that is what she ought to do
1:46 am
there is no earthly reason i should be a soviet specialist from birmingham alabama. you are welcome. >> any more questions? >> i m from the middle school are you going to plan to run for office again? >> no. and not even in my high school student council for the year ran a presidency to rise. i knew it. i probably want. i love public service. i am very involved k12
1:47 am
education and boys and girls club probably more involved with my cousin and the work she is doing because i care of those issues with the state of california but i was secretary of state there is no better job and a that is enough. >> ladies and gentlemen, please tell me think the absolutely wonderful condoleezza rice. [applause]
1:48 am
failings of the irish economic and social model that brought great change to ireland over a quarter century. it starts and 84 when ireland was port and stagnate and trauma-- trouble but then rose to be the richest in your up with a cultural vibrancy and never had before and was at peace for the first time in generations then as mini fatalistic irish men would expect they ended up in the housing and private bobble even larger than the united states and faces very difficult choices. >> host: how did ireland rise in the '80s and '90s? >> guest: they followed a multiparty strategy with public financing getting
1:49 am
used to get straightened out interest rates came down, attracted a lot of investment like gateway, microsoft, until, t hey negotiated grievance between government and labor and the value the currency and 86 and 92 ending up with the growth miracle nicknamed the cal tech tiger after years of no growth, ireland was almost a third world country but in the mid-90s it kicked over and would bring in 10% of year, year after year by the year 2000, the first time in modern history the irish per-capita were richer than the former colonial masters in britain. >> host: where does your
1:50 am
book and? >> guest: four or five months ago, is full circle from the best times it has ever had into this disaster and prices and bring storey up to date and hence primarily with the nationalization of this rogue bank that the irish taxpayers are stuck with and ends on a fairly hopeful note to the irish having demonstrated resiliency over the centuries will find a way out of this terrible spot they are and. >> when the -- block of the irish ran out. david lynch.
1:51 am
>> that is read the book began when 9/11 happened as the day of infamy to quote roosevelt's famous saying but immediately people said the surprise attack and use the word kamikaze and webex too pearl harbor budget then i am a historic and and then it got more complicated because was a failure of intelligence in a surprise attack then it gets into world war ii where you have the it picture of raising
1:52 am
the stars and stripes, it was he iwo jima and people put those up and the president began calling it a war on terror and roosevelt and truman. it went from pearl harbor into world war ii then the world trade center ruins ground zero down and a whole different dimension so it began with 9/11 and then became much more complicated >> tie together hiroshima and iraq. >> the real tie eight is 9/11 and i iraq because ground zero is the atomic bomb that is the original association of the question
1:53 am
of tariff board -- bombing to deliberately attack civilians as the practice of coming at of world war ii if you wanted to destroy morale and the anglo-american and air power of the united states it was done in germany. ground 0,452,001, the direct link his eighth choice because we go from 9/11 from the islamist terrorists and then it suddenly be have a war of choice against iraq then a terrific sillier of
1:54 am
intelligence on the part of the united states then you have pearl harbor which was tactically brilliant and strategic and then america so i am a historian and i want to understand it is not all the same but i want to see how you think comparatively but in our modern times even with the new technology, i really wanted to wrestle with it. and i had to figure out things for myself. >> vietnam is not a focus. why? >> it is not a focus because there simply was no-space to do it. that is one of the major cultures of four.
1:55 am
it is mentioned in passing and a number of ways. but it figures in a different way with the failures of intelligence. but it is just what the subtitle could only be so long but we had basically the united states had the insurgency and then cease to study that. it was dropped. we run not going to get involved and there was no preparation for worry we have encountered in iraq and
1:56 am
afghanistan. i focus mostly on iraq but there the failure of intelligence on our part was extraordinary. why? i was trying to think of this over time but it makes you think comparatively in ways that make people uncomfortable. buzz when you go backwards you go back to world war ii and at one point* and the book by end up at the philippines in the turn-of-the-century and the early 1900's and the rhetoric was there i have a
1:57 am
line if you went to find day goes behind the ghostwriters come and go back to the rhetoric or the language. to think about war as a culture is very painful because the earlier and an age where we have technology that may change press somehow i doing at levels of the individual and the institution and. in the end i came apart talking about the concepts of the institutional bureaucrat dysfunction. very, very hard things to wrestle with and took a long
1:58 am
time but that is where it ended. >> host: speaking of george bush, have you or will you be reading "decision points" or the chapters on afghanistan or i iraq? >> guy read very fair extensively his memoirs by everybody investigative journalist dan reports leaked from the bush administration and i made a decision to keep working on the book until the end of the bush administration. i will look at his autobiography certainly. but i hope i can move onto a subject may be cultures of peace or something else rather than go back to this right now. >> host: you have lowered the won the national book
1:59 am
award and the pulitzer prize as well and has been nominated 2010 national book award nonfiction category cultures of four pearl harbor at hiroshima and 9/11 and iraq. >> why when they hear the president and others talk about the fact we must make government efficient for the people, did our founding fathers actually design the government to be inefficient? and ask yourself that question. this is a model for efficiency. but it was done deliberately. why? because in order to have basic liberties, you have to

115 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on