Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  July 3, 2014 4:30pm-6:31pm EDT

4:30 pm
the shia have thought they were second-class. the sunnis talk about marginalization. these issues could be resolved in due time providing everybody's process, which we have agreed on and the parliament is the result of that. bearing in mind that in any other society, having such a terrorist attack in the society, yet the election taking place and now it is a sign that people want freedom. people want democracy. the threat we face are getting us in the region. this is what has to be talked about today. rather than the other which will take significant time. we are saying that to be a limit. >> to make things clear because some view sets six as having happened within an environment
4:31 pm
that felt marginalized and frustrated and not because necessarily isis has a lot of military power. does iraq see the defeat a necessary first step before a political processes established or do you see the two quick >> they are parallel. political parties are more or less the knowledge he the lack of development are the challenges they face of the services of others. they are seriously affect my family have a political process alongside the military process. however, the issue is not that they are on trust. the issue is the opposition, we don't have that capability. we have challenges in our own military as a result of the situation in nozzle, which means we have challenges that they
4:32 pm
don't have the supremacy. we cannot cope with the ruthless as of the organization. we cannot play the same game on the situation. a good residential areas. let me give you some examples. there has been talk about a town which we had issues over the last few days. we were able to clear at the university. our forces have been a moving and it clear in the city because of traps and other things, which means literally houses and others are booby-trapped and it will more or less get me there. that culture of distraction, we cannot match that.
4:33 pm
as they say, we cannot match that. we need technology, capability, intelligence gathering is the one. this has to take a rarity to the immediate threat now. philip political process has to go alongside this into the political class. what do they do? it takes times. to change a culture does take time. to ignore everything because of the political process? there is a responsibility to address the common thread. >> let me ask you a question that might be unfair to have their brand ambassador. the political process you're talking about, if it becomes clear and i am saying is, the person of prime minister maliki is going to stand the way they
4:34 pm
political or national union government, is very scenario still respect the arabs, but where mr. maliki's party would agree on a different prime minister, not of course the elections, but in the interest of preserving the iraqi state, would you envision that scenario where is the prime minister name something quick >> i'm unaware of any agreement for the next prime minister. they have not talked about the naming and it is they want to eat and see the candidacy of the speaker, the president be. when they get the votes, he has 700,000 votes plessey has 108th in a 300 parliament.
4:35 pm
his sister? they'll have to wait for the democratic process in shape. is the problem prime minister maliki? the problems we have are the personnel or whether it is beyond the position and fundamental issues. the political class are new to democracy company to governing and they are taking time for that. i would say the issue is never to be personalized. it's an easy solution to blame some ready and say it's his problem. that is unfair and unrealistic or even unachievable and a society to not even have the
4:36 pm
challenge of putting his name forward. i think we need to go through the process. it may result in prime minister maliki coming through. i would say personalizing a is easiest to blame. it's the easy way out. i think it's unrealistic in a bit unfair. >> i will ask one more question and then we'll open it up. yesterday they met to agree on a speaker which did not happen. later on i imagine parliament would also need to agree on a price that. given what we are seeing attendance among the kurds to withdraw from iraq is the state, do you still envision that parliament would agree on a
4:37 pm
kurdish president and with the current go along with that even with what many believe is the iraqi state after lifting cherry coke and davis would not go back to where they used to be before the christ is. >> when we agreed with iraqis on the comp petition, if my memory serves me right, the participation was about 95 and say we agree to the constitution. until a new constitution is talked about, the current discourse will still mean the kurds will play a significant political role and the parties now have agreed for the president he took her in the speaker to be a sunni area. that is still ongoing. yesterday or this morning they
4:38 pm
agree on a person and they disagreed last moment. but the other parties have said allow each entity to select the person. and if they do not, they can't come to the parliament can say with 2% for the president the aua lack two or three for the speaker. so in a way, it is a halfway solution. the kurds have fired the m. in public before and the president of the federal kurdish bus buyer for an independent. however, the social contract they have with the state is still in the comp to shoot.
4:39 pm
any new social social contract is defined. we expect him to say there was a positive player in the development of the political process and the security of iraq. that is on every sin is to other act that believes in a constitution and a political process. that is still a going. can they get their own state? it has its own challenges. its geopolitical as well as other types of challenges. to remind us iraqis were really until the day you stop about it within not and we accept that. and we played the respect that rule. >> okay, let's open it up. there are many questions.
4:40 pm
many people in the audience. please keep your questions short and to ask a question rather than a common, please. we'll take three or four at a time in the interest of allowing as many of you as possible to this question. in that time dr. donna wells, what would you say is the ultimate rechecked objectivists at six. are they looking to take our time and decided media can turn? >> in the back over there. >> commander bernstein, two questions if i could. the first is there's been an honest negative press in the united states on the russian deal with the fighter jet sent to iraq. i would like it if you could be six late-night deal, which to my understanding was made back in 2012. the second question, many in the
4:41 pm
united states is that this is fundamentally an issue it has to be sought regionally, not just within iraq. what are we going to do with the regional partners that we have, which include state such as iran, saudi arabia, the gulf monarchies who according to peter mansoor, former aide to general petraeus said these states believe it is in this entry is to have a little bit of terrorism. how did we get a regional cooperation out of that mix? >> as commissary. please. be back the question as, do you think it is possible to compare the situation with the situation in iraq at the western army is not graded to calm to the
4:42 pm
province. >> why do we take this set of questions? >> others are a transnational ideologist who do not believe in the existence. anybody who's different to their beliefs and their strip understanding of islam. to them, by the way it is too soft and the representative of islam. in that sense, baghdad is there a check is. to be honest, i would think even outside the group that they have to go above that. they think their representatives along nobody else.
4:43 pm
they cannot coexistent others. that is the reality. as to the question regarding russia, we have already asked again and again the united state to provide us with tears and this was some time ago. until earlier this year in the congress. we have the state were stuck between the white house and the congress has to make the decision. we never wanted to be part of this eternal u.s. dispose us to the provision of what is strategically capable. however, that was the result. one of the aftermath is others launceston situation never ran. my foreign minister was here back in august in which his
4:44 pm
belated and clearly made all levels of this date in the white house and others that we needed help and if you cannot provide this with their capabilities, you do it and we will give you approval and go through the legal and other logistical set of processes. unfortunately that was not adhered to by wes not received until the situation came up in the last few weeks. unfortunately, we outlast that opportunity. at that time, it could not have been an easier target. i sewer the bad guys are. that opportunity will suffer losses. as well as that russia, as i said before, as vocalist possibles say we don't have
4:45 pm
choices. the situation on the ground are pushing a come of coordinating us to choose what is available to support us on the ground. we are aware that there are processes within the united seats institutions for approval and our stakeholders who has to approve. we respect that, but we also expect the other two after a choices. actually says they need rather than the desire. we have a long list of requirements and i can assure you nobody would want to go to a secondhand place if you could get the best. though not help us in that sense. the mac regional solution we know for a fact to be that the term for the last 10 years. and we know that the majority of terrorist are not from iraq.
4:46 pm
in fact, until recently, none of the suicide or sewer iraqis until recently. they were primarily from regional areas. now if the situation in syria it became a global phenomenon. a site that she had a savvy tourism market in which they promote area as the tourism this nation including hospitals and so on. we are capturing every day foreigners from afghanistan, chechnya, others and also even the united states there have been cases when apprehended people. so we know this is a global phenomenon. we have said to her neighbors come and no one immune from it
4:47 pm
and we repeat that. no one in the region, not saudi arabia, not turkey, none are immune from it because assisted global disease. we have not found a treatment for cancer. >> hike of ambassador, you mentioned iraq not get the support that it needs from the united states is going to be forced to reach reach out to other partners such as iran. assorted additional support by iraq tried to acquire as a battle of the insurgency. >> okay, please. woman in the middle. student jennifer for the middle east and to tube. you said that is primarily trained national threat, but they have been reportedly working with ex-baath is. but you can figure it putting
4:48 pm
these officials and any future record deletion process? >> yes, sir. [inaudible] >> hide. it's isis does come in and take over, would they be able to use the military equipment that now exist again neighboring countries? >> as far as i know, isis are creative and very distraught to. any capability they have the will utilize its highest level of distraction. so whether it's a chemical attack that actual hardware or any other weapons they have, they will utilize software. to them it is littered as a
4:49 pm
reward. an acid that is the danger. it has to be seriously taken. aspires to purchase from iran, we are aware of their international norm and rules. i guess purchases were dealing with the rate in a military way. they have the threat themselves next to the neighbor into the arabian nick center part of the national security. we understand that. we also understand that this is a part of national security to the arabian and shines as well. however, we have said we do not acquire or should we require any
4:50 pm
rate unisys is if we have the choice of the united state or any other. as far as most of the consultation now sonics media in dealing with isil and others. in the sense we are aware of international norm that we do not want to break any international convention for attack of the united nations, but at the same time, any areas of cooperation we cannot get elsewhere we will do that. we both face a common thread. a thousand kilometers shared a border between a. >> were there in the reconciliation process quite
4:51 pm
>> said the most change there has been germanic discussion at iraq and the political entities as suitably accommodate and who do we not? the common conclusion is that isi or any foreign entity will not be expect it. we cannot accept that in our discourse. however, homegrown resistance. not military, ideology can have the discussion with those who disagree with the shia government or disagree with whoever. we are okay with that as long as they have not use weapons in the state and they have not killed iraqis. those who are not called loud discussions with that.
4:52 pm
those who are afraid we cannot accept that. >> ambassador, if i may interject also at this point, a lot of people are there and this is the first time an organization of the radical organization has probably never even happened organization like this has a swap of territory across erie and iraq. how confident are you this is a temporary situation in the iraqi army would wiki control are we to expect a long-term struggle between the army and central organization client >> we think that the support is external to the international dimension of the area and others
4:53 pm
we are looking at the prolonged process. we have had difficulties can: the border with syria. until we do that, we cannot troll isil in iraq because they are to have a supply line. they gathers a favorite of the others died. we need to look at the united states as one theater. we recognize that. until we control the border, fortunately this will be prolonged. it will not just be the certain towns are private goods. the desert is fast. americans have challenges themselves at the time. so we know this is a lot crossed as. we are saved whether his committee has to think of this says a lot process to deal to
4:54 pm
sustain it and deal to defeat it and resolve the core issues with the capabilities at iraq. going back to the question about molly. iraqis different than the geopolitics. it's different than the richness and with all due respect, iraqis consider an import country in relation to oil, relation to geography, culture and history. in a way these are all factors which play a role in working on iraq not just as an internal issue. we ourselves do not look at the situation as an internal domestic issue. we always have international purse actives.
4:55 pm
we need to provide a narrative to the world at this place cannot be occupied or destroyed. bearing in mind that other issue, which is the places and others have destroyed the shia entities that destroy christian churches, cemeteries and so on. so to them, they do not believe in this history. to estimate history as an import part. >> you have talked about controlling the borders. do you view this as a military operation where do you see this as a political process that must lose the regional country as well? >> historically the iraqi syrian border, saudi border always had
4:56 pm
the line of local tribes and others who support the. those historic because of the vast difference rises in someone. until we control the border, and so he has -- we preop rather than react chuichu that unfortunately this will come to. we know for a fact we have to work on local tribes. we have to work on a local, political entities in the geopolitical process. but at the same time, we need to have a strong military capability and the only one which can provide -- >> all right. please. >> thank you very much. josh broke it, daily peace.
4:57 pm
you're talking about funding for isil. isil sells directly to the assad regime. is there anything they can do to stop the assad regime given that the said senator stanislaus oestreich mess in iraq? >> the situation in iraq -- >> let's take a couple more questions. >> can you explain -- eric taylor on the state department. can you they are your views are most iraqi kurdish continued presence of isil in the region? be back in the back over there. be that jeff schaffer dcf. my question has been run up already. i want to break up the topic of the kurds. the kurds to declare
4:58 pm
independence company briefly mentioned isolate the militia additional framework they agreed upon. which you find the iraqi state could work militarily with an independent iraqi kurdish state to fight the terrorists that isil the tears that currently exist in iraq or is that cooperation on some thing that iraqis hate that baghdad could ever really agree to? thank you. >> currently, the majority if not all of the kurdish governments or the kat controlled zones that the rest of barak. these buffers are controlled by isil. they do not have direct contract with outgoing through a isil area, which means they are to have the challenge and there has already been some confrontation
4:59 pm
about the military satisfaction taking place on the side and the kurds know more than anybody else. therefore as the central government has always said we will be happy to work with her mother, also earned citizen and narrowed kurdish communities in rfid can isil. we talk about the future state might be noted that the future discussion to see how does that manifested out. i doubt very much that there will be a chance for a state within geopolitical region. we have to go through significant change to accept that in the kurdish leadership know that. we are going back to the con dictation. the participation is a sign they are a though away they have to work within the framework of the iraqi state.
5:00 pm
.. [inaudible] and their objective is to bring
5:01 pm
more chaos and more description so the strength becomes more of a civil war. that is the ultimate objective. so in that sense, yes we would likely try to start the capabilities and financial abilities so they would have less influence. and that would be significant. the contradiction and paradox is [inaudible] for us the threat we have is in iraq. we know we cannot resolve the situation but the government is to control and help in the fight and we will do that because we
5:02 pm
have a common threat. whether there is the relationship we would leave that for the investigative journalists like yourself to explore that and convince us of that relationship. >> okay. next round. please sir. >> you have repeatedly mentioned the need for unity and inclusion in the iraq he government. all of that being said that you have any comments on th the rect amnesty international report suggesting the sunni muslims in iraq have occurred at the hands of government forces? >> okay. yes sir.
5:03 pm
in saudi arabia they have been keeping these coaccused the financially supporting but also providing weapons apart and i was wondering what kind of evidence exists and why there isn't more of a combination nationally. >> thank you ambassador. i just wanted to touch upon something that was said about the areas that are being captured and if they are already marginalized. i have been reading news reports about basically the fact that the first school of the capture is to kind of establish social services into their illegitimate government such as food for the poor, unemployment, benefits and stuff like that. i wondered if there was any sense from iraqis on the ground or if you could just explain more about the situation in the
5:04 pm
captured areas isn't always violent and doesn't always take that tone or is there always a sense in some areas that it's captured illegitimately of course, but that its favorable because these areas were already marginalized from some of the services. >> bulet's take one more questi. yes please. >> there were reports that they landed near the shrine. can you talk about the situation and the threat and how close it may be your concerns about its? >> they have controlled of the place and move now towards the border into the road but some particularly as well. it is a more mobile capability.
5:05 pm
that is the situation. in this chaotic situation they will occur and the minorities of any type. as a government we have that to try to bring the kurdish government to help secure some of the minorities and so on to protect them because we know that the violence in iraq the minorities would be the basic. and unfortunately, if that is the case elsewhere as well. that is why we have been trying to say we need to control that and focus on the minority.
5:06 pm
most of the early fights were in areas where the minorities were there because of the protection as well. there have been prisoners executed after the situation and i'm not aware whether it is the aspect of it but the situation is much were complicated and it is much were complicated and symptomatic -- when you talk about iraq you talk about the others or not. on the generalization you have all of these positions for the ministers whether they are kurdish or arabs. so, what i was saying is that please look beyond the causes.
5:07 pm
it's a bit more complicated. go ahead. [laughter] i would say we know for a fact that saudi arabia didn't pull their weight in protecting the border. we know that for a fact they have not worked as hard as they can to minimize the damage. we work with you and we work with turkey and iran and all of the regions to try to bring some predictability to the sectarian narrative. this polarization of the region would not help anybody. no one is immune from it. neither jordan or saudi arabia or others are in the unit from it and we have been saying to that please pull your weight so
5:08 pm
that we all can work together. these countries can't control their part of the border and that significantly reduces the flow and the weapons and everything else into iraq. >> what you include jordan quick >> the risk we have been saying no is it cannot be contained within the country. it's addressed within that country alone. it needs to have a regional narrative as well. the jordanians have limited capabilities. they have been helpful. the area requires a lot of capabilities. what we have questioned elsewhere is the political
5:09 pm
motive because we don't see that beyond the call of duty. to protect iraq. that is what we are talking about. >> is there a problem between the iraqi government and the article 140. they said the article no one would talk about it because it is complicated and the kurdish forces are controlling this area. so what is your understanding? to >> yes sir please.
5:10 pm
>> you've talked about how it is a transnational threat and discussing how it can't be solved in just one country so do you believe that any military action needs to include some form of action as well as interact? >> that is another angle. yes please. >> i have a couple of questions. the first one is where is the european role in all of this and if you see the role for them in the conflict that's going on right now, what would you like it to be? to the second question is what do you think the tipping point in this conflict is going to be if it moves to jordan next as they have been declaring? do you think that will be the
5:11 pm
tipping point where this would have been intervention from the u.s. or other bodies? we are confident that the united states will look into that situation and that more in a holistic way we do not want to be escalated to other regions anywhere. so the forces the united states to look at it. i think it can be less contained now. otherwise the destruction is too big. the countries are fragile and therefore we cannot afford waiting until the third and fourth country are involved. so in that sense i think we are somewhat confident that the united states will play a major role in bringing some balance into predictability to the
5:12 pm
influence in the region. >> we talked about the irony. article 140 has been a part from the kurdish government, the prg government for a long come a long time. i'm not aware of any question being asked about this for the last year that i've been here, which is a reflection of where i think people said it has to be which is what inclusive government and issues and trying to put aside the different areas which articulates. they made that statement public and available review that if they think that it is addressed
5:13 pm
and has been disclosed. if not, i think it will be all parties to try to bring some closure based on discussions not forcing the status quo. 140 is an article in the constitution that talks about and which was discussed back in 2005 and which the timeline was by 2007 there would be a consensus done in the strategic area and where the boundaries sometimes change some of the boundaries would be involved and the inclusion is in the town that is a multinational sort of multiethnic city town with demographic significant changes during the late 50s and onward to 2003.
5:14 pm
the toe of the disputed areas they said it is a massive reality and you have to deal with that reality. but the gist of it as well. in the culture where people do not forget easily and in a culture in which things have taken a long time it cannot be result of her night by one party saying i have nothing to talk about. that will not be feasible for anybody. the parliament is there a as a forum for discussing and disputing and as a permanent area and agrees on the shop that the issue is result and the borders are clear. if not then i would leave that to the parliament to decide. forcing the status quo on iraq for now i think that is enough
5:15 pm
for anybody. simply because people in the region do not like to be forced they do not forget easily and most importantly these issues are core issues. the dispute is not a plan. it is about identity, which means forcing an identity on others will not work. and i think that i would say my humble advice is what i am resolved this issue but do it peacefully. >> so you have questions about whether the military has action and in the -- in syria. if they help us we will look into that.
5:16 pm
from our side we look forward to other countries such as the united states to control that border. and i would say as far as i know, the united states is looking because they know that it is on both sides of the border. >> do you see the role in solving the crisis? >> they are somewhat busy with their own issues which is making it difficult for them to play a positive role. however, the foreign minister, the british foreign minister was in iraq last week and talked about the corporation. we have yet to see a tangible role for the eu and iraq. however, the threat is immediate as well. having them come from large amounts of them coming from france and others. we have seen all kinds in iraq
5:17 pm
as we know they have international dimensions. we need to work closely. >> is time for one last one. >> thank you minister. i have two questions. the first one how do you see the ambassador conditioning and achieving kind of advances on the political process? and the second question, there is some fear in washington that the administration may be giving the illusion of being concerned but in reality there is nothing real on the ground in terms of supporting the iraqi government. >> going back to the constitution, what do you see that there is a role for the
5:18 pm
federalization in some sort of a political settlement? i wonder if you could speak a little bit more about the iraq he government thought regarding russia military support. are there more arms that you think you might buy from them? is very possible role for the russian military advisers in iraq? >> let's take one last question. >> yes sir please. >> nobody has touched on the nearly half-million internally displaced iraqis as a result of this other than the un and a little bit of money at the international. the response has been poor to say the least.
5:19 pm
i can't think of anything the u.s. has done. mr. ambassador, what do you see as the principal requirement for an international response to the humanitarian crisis? >> dot displacement issue was the first casualty within a couple of days of the situation. that was about 400,000, 300,000 were mostly being displaced and that is the large 120,000 trying to leave. that is an immediate threat i would say. when the secretary was in iraq he talked about that as well. however i think the challenge is bigger. as a government we don't have an issue but of accessibility to it. that is the challenge that we have.
5:20 pm
it's just that you need to have food and everything else provided to the displaced. they are providing nature than this amount of effort and they are focusing on that and we very much appreciate all that work. however, what we have is unsustainable. we need to resolve the core issues of this displaced people coming back and other towns as well. the faster that we've resolved this issue the faster it can come back and we also know they had the issues in their houses, so we have a domestic situation which is crucial as well. and that is another area of concern. as far as the expertise for russia i think the formula that we have declared a simple. we have a void.
5:21 pm
whoever is available including russia than we would come to know that void. we haven't used them for a while and so on. we have chosen the united states as our partner of choice and we still want to have a strong military security and other type of strong relationship in the united states as a strategic choice. and even when the secretary was there last week at these meetings we said we need your help now. don't put any conditions. we are not willing to work with you to address these issues which was new and the political situations and to deal with other types of issues. yes we are going to do that discussion. we are working on it but at thee risk is too immediate. and the threat is too important
5:22 pm
for us to think about conditionality of it. changing the politics isn't easy in our region. it has a change of culture that is a simple job however a significant change can provide more influence for the united states in iraq. this is a test that relationship. stick a question about whether the u.s. has -- [inaudible] >> they do. we never doubt that. the security and military provision of the capability, we know that the united states is serious and they understand and
5:23 pm
we never doubt that. however what we are saying is that we need more because it is on the ground and that is what we are talking about so we are never disputing in any way, shape or form the commitment of the united states and iraq. that is into the issue. the issue is the scale of the support that we are talking about. >> thank you very much for the discussion and four patience in answering this question. please join me in thanking the ambassador. [applause] i would ask you again please remain seated until the ambassador leaves. thank you very much.
5:24 pm
[inaudible conversations] >> our lineup tonight includes hillary clinton on her but "hard choices a memoir." former senator and candidate rick santorum in a south carolina congressman james clyburn talking about his life and blessed experiences genuinely southern proudly black. it gets under way at eight eastern here on c-span2. my first reaction was a surprise because i had worked for this story. i coached the clippers in the year 2000. he invited me to his daughter's
5:25 pm
wedding and i had no idea x. ackley what was going on. but also because of my association, i knew what he was complaining about. so i was confused not knowing exactly which set of facts mr. stirling stood behind. and then when his words came out, it was so obvious and shocking and just disgusting all of those things wrapped into one. but the surprise of it to find the type of sentiment and someone who relies on americans for so much of his success and o public profile is raising. i just couldn't be leave that someone could have that much bigotry inside and think that it was okay.
5:26 pm
consumer drones could be used for surveillance to map constructioconstruction sites ad the outside of buildings were dropped packages at your home. the era of the drones is developing rapidly. smartphone technology is leading to the creation of smaller and cheaper drones. but club of california recently put a panel of robot and a drone builders and software developers and one of the world's best drouin photographers to discuss the future of the technology. >> ' thanks to the club for organizing another event and fascinating topic. so just a few words to kick off. our focus is on the small drones. we will talk about consumer
5:27 pm
space as well and i think that we could all recognize this is an area that is changing by the day with just amazing potential. i think that as we are getting started, just look at some of the things that we have seen from cameras in the past just this year. given the world's remarkable footage of the demonstrations in thailand and in ukraine and in a completely different realm it has enabled us to watch footage of that taking off and landing. we have seen them shoving their vision for how the packages might be deliberate in the future. and as we have seen over dinner or just remarkable footagjust re world around us and showing unique ways to view the world. and of course, you have all just experienced for most of you in the audience were first drawn to
5:28 pm
these co- drone taken by one of the first photographers. so getting startethe getting ste journey we had an amazing panel so let's get going. in the typical fashion we will start with chris. >> i'm chris anderson. i was the editor of wired magazine for more than a decade and how it went from the editor of the magazine to the ceo of the aerospace company to sort of talk about let's just say back in the immediate days i didn't have to run my own factory and now i ago. the fun part is we get to put cameras in the air and open up entirely new frontier of the imagery and big data and that is incredible.
5:29 pm
>> i'm the director of the imaging and i was on the path and technology and then i fell off much to my parents as appointment ended up being a photographer. i've been in the technology. >> founder and ceo of air where has been in the drone space for about ten years beginning at mit and then later working on the development of the 6,000-pound helicopter system was briefly an airline flight in the copilot between las vegas and the grand canyon and really started to address the problems that i saw at mit in developing the drone for the specific targeted applications. so where we do with the platform is hardware, software and cloud services they are power drunk
5:30 pm
that enabled them to be developed by other companies. one thing we don't do is actually built on ourselves. >> founder and ceo we build fully autonomous ground robots for collecting the data. in the construction they use these robots to collect data across all of the job sites. our goal is to help all of these companies with logistics and help with safety. we are very thankful to be here with you guys. it's been absolutely amazing panel. first question for chris. where are we today in the underlying technology to make peace more possible and where is it heading clark's >> first we should probably define what a drone is.
5:31 pm
on any panel you will disagree on the definitions but i would define it as being aircraft capable which is they fl of whiy themselves and they have gps guidance. it's not a pilot experience. it can be but by and large like any robot they do jobs that our goal, dirty or dangerous and they do that without intervention. they are both robots, whether they look like it or not and they are incredibly intelligent. the reason this is possible, the reason that these two flying robots can cost less than a thousand dollars is essentially thanks to the innovation and our phones. i call this the peace dividend that basically use the same components in the censors, similar gps and more cameras. and going on with the processors and supercomputers essentially. they are running the battery
5:32 pm
cover the radio etc. because the economy of scale with apple and google of the world. these components put in different packages can do things that were essentially impossible ten years ago and a million dollars five years ago and now us than a thousand dollars and it will be on the shelf at wal-mart. >> what are the advances that you have seen and that enabled you to do the amazing footage that we've seen tonight? >> well, the stability for these things to the stable in space is something that photographers have been looking for for a long time. anybody that has had a go pro in the past has put it out on the polls so they could get them doing something they think will make them look cool. and this is sort of the extension. he let go into the camera flies away and perhaps a lot of these things are happening sort of as we sit here today. every week there is a new development or company trying to do something like that and if so
5:33 pm
for the creative pursuit these are opening up something that we couldn't -- we dreamed about and i was way to say we could have dreamed about it but i dreamed about this ten years ago and thought if only i could have a flying camera and we have been. >> for all of human history, we have been basically stuck. our perspective has been stuck at the high level. highest level. for the first time in history we can see the world the way the birds do. without having to be in the air which is dangerous having the skill to fly something, cameras can now be positioned arbitrarily in the space and the question now that you have the boom for free what are you going to do with it? as we look at the r. y. r. u. going off? >> they are equally excited
5:34 pm
about it. we believe that drone will be used for different things like inspections and inspecting the pipelines, bridges, levies, lille and natural gas exploration, land management, anti-poaching operations. some of these in which we are involved in now. we really think that to address such a wide variety of applications you need a platform so that companies who are developing a drone for a specific application aren't either leveraging a black box solution that they cannot meaningfully extend in hardware or software or they are not having to do it all from scratch and develop all of that themselves. they can focus on the pieces of hardware or software that are meant to be differentiated for their application. so that is what we are hoping that airware. >> you are addressing a number of challenges in this space but specifically factory technology is once you are doing the uniqut unique things around. can you talk about that?
5:35 pm
spinnaker strategy or vision is not as exciting as some of the stuff in terms of filming height surfers into that stuff. we work with minors, construction people and we try to -- in the early days we tried to figure out how to make their job more efficient and protected. in the early days i spent a lot of time trying to figure out if this is actually useful for them and after a lot of weeks and months, i discovered that it was. you know, we read into a couple of people and why the superintendence one said at any given point at this construction site is at least 100 questions that can be answered just by seeing something. and if they see that they can answer and move forward. basically what he is saying is i can shape these entities are millions of dollars. so that is what really motivated me to start a company that
5:36 pm
skyscatch. what we see with these partners is basically completely automating the experience making it fully autonomous when it landed in fully autonomous when it's off the battery an and whet sends data to the cloud is that you are not involved in the process. >> how long can a drone fly in a factory? >> we spent a lot of time authorizing the charge, how much electricity would burn up the motors. we've optimized the drones for the size, the motors. as we get 35 to 40 minutes with high wind time in the air. and our average missions are about five to ten minutes and cover a really large amount of area. so, you know, you have to be swapping the batteries because the batterie batteries haven't n ages and it's not going to evolve anytime soon. some of the companies that are
5:37 pm
doing these interesting things with batteries haven't been really tested. there are some batteries that last longer been 45 minutes but they haven't gone through the test making sure the battery is safe. so, right now, today most of us are buying batteries that have been thoroughly tested by great companies, and they've been mass-produced for hobbies. >> )-right-paren, factory technology is one of those things that obviously is being done. as you kind of look out over the next few years, the pace of development seems to be rapid at the moment, so if i can get my mind around what it's going to be like, what are you looking at as the next wave of development that are going to enable the cases with drones? >> this weekend three projects launched, two of them on kickstart. so follow me as one of the things where the drone follows you. you are biking, skiing, whatever
5:38 pm
come and it just stays 30 feet back and up and keeps the camera focused and get that kind of perfect cinematic hollywood view. that is on one level, you know, that's exactly what the youtube generation wants. and it's an incredibly complex artificial intelligence function using gps and image, image recognition, spotting yo you and then creatively trying to figure out what the right angle is looking at the sun and the shadows and all of this stuff that was science fiction years ago. this is the droid that you're looking for. >> and it was just this weekend there were three projects that t launching one raised $1.5 million in a day all based on the platform. but that's just to -- that was just today. tomorrow this mapping function we are talking about, but christian is doing, is this notion of construction. it's arguably the number two
5:39 pm
industry in the world. agriculture is number one. so, what this 300-dollar copy or can do is a one-button app that does circles around the construction site, takes pictures, gets sent to the cloud. in this case a disk and create a three d. model. then that model gets snapped off of the model that the engineering company is already doing and then you get to -- and it's happening every day on the automated fashion thanks to the recharging station. and you are the client. you wonder what's going on in the construction site to read you can either drive to the construction site or watch the cloud building snapped onto the model that you approved by watch it building up digitally, digitized, perfectly aligned. you've got ground truth or air truth if you go and that's a 300-dollar copy or that is doing the mapping. just imagine what is going to to
5:40 pm
have been another five years. >> that you're talking about technology that is deployed actually underneath or on the trend. you're not talking about the drone itself. in terms of the actual mechanics are we going to see much developing or have the kind of reached the point now where -- >> we talked about the model of the company in the cloud. right now you're using a go pro and eric is using a custom camera that even lighter and smaller and highly controlled and we are moving towards bringing the sensor down to get the peace dividend of the smartphone or the camera sensors getting incredibly good. so we control the camera and the vehicles in space into the communications link and the ground stations on the phone and control the cloud and we have big data into the huge render farms and so the point being the drone itself is just a vector to capture the data and transmits to the cloud. >> what do you think about where
5:41 pm
the world is heading? >> the internet sort of enables enablesa lot of this activity a. if we didn't haven't heard it wouldn't be as interesting because we are sharing this through the internet. so everything just basically came at the same time sort of going back to what chris said a lot of it came from smartphones. all of the innovation that allowed for these pieces to be really affordable. >> you mentioned about the internet, it is already on instead ran and if you find it bear you can obviously retweet that. so the development of the arsine online is an extensive view of open-source software but also open sourcing the hardware design. and i know that speaking to you all although you are in separate companies using to be collaborating around the common design. >> one area that i have a different perspective, the open
5:42 pm
source projects are exciting and that is what got myself into the spaces of some to agree. i think as the number of applications brought them out and as these drone if these droo be deployed above equals homes and flying around people's heads, i think safety and reliability are going to become kind of more and more paramount in this industry. and i think that is an area that open source is are likely to struggle in and of that if we look at the model that most people use on their phones, most of the applications specific software are the features all of these startup companies are building their business models around developing the apps themselves into getting into and modify the android kernel if you will. >> and christian kind you've been using some of this open source. >> we have been working closely with them to make modifications
5:43 pm
to make it fully autonomous to do the landing technology that we have to make modifications hs work with them on some of the communities of people working on software. so it's easy to get access to people working in different parts of the source code. so we basically -- we couldn't afford to also work in autopilot. so having about available to us was extremely helpful. >> i think that the arc of history is pretty clear. there is a reason why the internet on. i brought this up here for a reason. this is actually our drone. it ate chinese drone made and connected to [inaudible] it's a derivative design but i don't need they improved upon
5:44 pm
it. you know, we have got 20 years of open source experience. if you are using android or chroma or firefox you get it. open innovation with all eyes this is proven in the silicon valley way. the fact i brought this up we have our own out there that we would like you to buy. if it looks like a phantom come here it is and we did nothing. it works great and we did nothing to make it happen in the world used another topic. when you were asked in the mapping exercise certainly i was stunned by how long it takes, so you are the professionals and i know there are some peoples that are also in this space. it takes quite a while to learn how to pilot these things.
5:45 pm
how difficult is it to learn to fly one of these things and to control them? do you know how to push a button? >> let me talk first about how people are using these today. they are still essentially manually piloted. the directions that we are giving them in the traditional controllers are not up. it's high-level instructions. go in this direction and we are going to watch them kind of moved up higher and higher as the technology improves. and so, what most people are experiencing now is that it's easy to this one of these things in the air and to do something simple. the rest of it unfortunately is based on your personality. so if you aren't very careful and meticulous and you have a goal and you know how to get there you will probably be successful but if you race
5:46 pm
motorcycles on the weekend or you may end up crashing one of these because it does involve if you are piloting it on creative purposes were essentially moving it around in space and you need to have right now you need to have the controls to respond in a way that lets you feel like you are connected in the device. so i have flown this without touching the radio using the application you say go here and here and come back and that is fulfilling because it actually goes there and comes back. but while it's going there i am controlling the camera and try to be creative in that way so there's always going to be that component of in the creative space of someone that is directing the centers are found an interesting way. so i think that in our space it is always going to be tied to some amount of manual introduction and that can be programmed in for the repeatability and i can imagine
5:47 pm
a director telling it where to go and then having someone else pushed the button. you do it 20 times and i think it is a complicated question. they're sort of -- it's very easy to use. it takes quite a bit of skill. >> we are using these tools to get the data from different places to be able to allocate these robots where conditions are very bad where it's cold or very hot. most of the projects if you go to the client sites aren't very interesting, lines in the middle of the desert but it's extremely valuable to them to be able to have something that is them disability and keeps them safe or creates measurements on a stockpile where they usually send people on top of them.
5:48 pm
so in terms of our technology, we sort of, you know, we used to tell investors its almost like in a world where you have no lights and we basically have photographers that need to go around in a time really fast we created a bike for them to go on around. our focus isn't a bike. the focus is the data that is coming back to us. >> said, creating the bike, we are creating the wheels and we use some of this product to create a handle s the handle sot directs the right way. but our focus has always been the data. >> and how is that autonomous control key voting? jonathan cohen in your platform you are looking at controlling multiple, i believe multiple drones. how is that playing out quick >> i think the level of autonomy is going to end up being related to how safe and reliable the systems are. if you look at people and companies that have operated
5:49 pm
these for thousands or hundreds of thousands of hours of course all of that is in the military committee and a very significant portion of the losses are all related to pilot and operator error. and so, as we develop the software to make the aircraft highly autonomous, and as you mentioned, but things like workflows in place so that there's somebody that can create a mission into somebody that can check and make sure it is a safe mission into somebody entirely different it is going to operate a vehicle bthe vehicle by drivin out there in hitting go and sliding the vehicle or data processing and kind of the generation of analytics and insight that may have been completely differently as a part of the cloud. i think a lot of that is going to be what makes the system more reliable to operate. as well as things like the void that is in development and an algorithm that can take into account where other vehicles are located and whether there are cooperative aircraft were noncooperative aircraft who are part of the same airspace system
5:50 pm
i think are all areas that we are working on in the development. >> your colleague is doing something there. >> i'm not going to tonight. >> there are some interesting demos and examples where we are working with a variety. turning back this topic, i look at other controls like that and i don't really know how it works. as you look at this evolving, are we going to have to get certified? is it going to be like getting a license to drive a car sex sex >> you've always had a certification to be a hobbyist. i was certified and i think that all of you probably certified
5:51 pm
hobbyists. but today it's kind of gone away. you don't have to have a certification. before you could go to a certain spots to fly and now you just fly anywhere. i think jonathan had a really good idea in terms of the faa i think they should establish something where they force people to set up some sort of certification where you say a year from now we are going to require everybody to be certified if you want to run a business or flight rounds i think that is a phenomenal idea that will keep people away from doing crazy. i think that we should expect the faa is going to be looking at the certification in two ways charred the same that they looked at the certification of the manned aircraft and operations which is one certification at the level of what is essentially the director of operations of the company that is operating drones, so this is the person responsible for everything that happens before the drone takes off. so the training of pilots and operators, maintenance of the vehicle, putting the right process in place to ensure that
5:52 pm
when the aircraft takes off it is a safe and reliable aircraft and the person that is responsible for operating it is going to operate it in a safe and reliable manner and then the second piece of that is the actual operator of the vehicles themselves. they will need to be trained, certified, licensed in a way where that person knows the responsibility that is essentially in their hand. even if it is the case that is fully autonomous and what is in their hand is nothing but air. somebody inevitably will be the responsible party for operating the aircraft and a certain area. and then i think the other area of interest and party that will be a critical proposal is insurance companies themselves. about one in 50 companies are seeking insurance to operate the drone aircraft is actually able to get that insurance underwritten. and so the insurance providers into the underwriters of the insurance are going to play a very key role as well in establishing what some of the processes and procedures on how some of the aircraft are
5:53 pm
designed, with some of the software that's powering them is. that's really going to enable him to determine how and where these aircraft can be used and for what purpose. >> chris? >> at the risk of being a little -- really? this cost $299 you can buy it on amazon and you need a certification to use it? children use it. do you think the faa is really going to require -- which by the way it is going to be coming out in november and is going to weigh about a pound. it's going to be the hot toy, going to be fully autonomous. everything you describe is going to be a toy for the christmas tree. it's going to be the hot toy this christmas. faa certification? >> i know the panelist consumer drones but anyway certainly -- our focus -- [laughter] i'm happy to expand the focus.
5:54 pm
a lot of our focus is different. it's kind of on enterprise grade commercial application. some of it can be addressed with a very small camera from your cell phone. there's a lot of other applications that require the carrying of larger equipment, larger camera systems, multi-spectral cameras, carrying of systems that are actually taking the air into the aircraft itself. forgiving and ellis is like air quality and looking for certain particulates in the air. this applications where there's a wide variety of applications many of the earlier customers are addressing with the absolute minimum size of the aircraft is 2 pounds or more. they are definitely regulated. one of the earlier customers operate regularly in france which i think at this point has the most mature regulations as well as the most mature commercial drilling industry in france right now and all of it is regulated and there's a good process in place by which the d-delta brown can submit
5:55 pm
paperwork and have it back saying it should all be online and electronic that they can do that in 24 to 48 hours prior to flying the drone for commercial locations. >> what is the status of the application in the state's? >> i think we are all on the same page. our number one priority is safety. i think that is the same thing that they are focusing on safety as well. obviously we have all sorts of ideas and certifications, getting the law enforcement involved in some sort of technology that detects these guys flying around to see how high they are flying. it's going to be a very challenging thing to tackle. and i think that the faa is going to have to step back and collaborate with -- >> we are here and we have seen this picture before. so, there was telecom. in a telephone companies were
5:56 pm
regulated. but, you know the computers weren't and then the computers were connected over land. the land was connected and then that was the internet and its lightweight, we actually don't know how to regulate it anymore. and the same with personal computers, which kind of had this bottom out revolution. i think what we see is time and time again, you see white spaces. the world says oh well. a 2.4 gigahertz, you can't possibly destroy the phone networks. and we do amazing things with wifi. gary knows this better than anybody. he's invested many of these. the silken belly model is to sort of take this small sort of under the radar grass-roots bottoms up and add more functionality to it. under 2 pounds it is going to do amazing things. there is no reason -- they could have radar, sonar, all of this in the atmosphere. if 2 pounds is the limit, find.
5:57 pm
>> and it's totally arbitrary. i was going to point out that you see this product into this product on both sides of the product you can pretty much run forever and see products on both sides. i did a kickstart project with a paper airplane iphone. is that going to be regulated? it's possible, but probably not. and so wherever the line is drawn, you're going to see tons of products. you will see hundreds of products under whatever that arbitrary line is. there are two lines. one is the week into capability of the aircraft and the other is commercial use versus hobby. hobby -- i'm actually not certified because i came to the game which later. and from what i understand it is a voluntary guideline issue. it has nothing to do with what is legal but what the users are willing to -- the rules for which the users are willing to adhere to. so that is what we are really looking for, you know, is a set of guidelines that are perhaps voluntarily adhere to this
5:58 pm
community. and then the rest of it is the message that these things are here and they are not going to go away and we need to be responsible how we use them. >> i think the hobby rule when i used to fly back and 1984, not 84, not that old. [laughter] but it used to be engines and it was a small community. you know it was not like today where everybody is a hobbyist or everybody can buy a drone and be a hobbyist. so back in the day everybody knew each other typically. you've got the same news and the same updates. things were not shared on facebook or twitter. it was just you looking at this thing. so things have changed dramatically when it comes to the guidelines they put together way back when. and it just doesn't fit the landscape today. >> it's interesting.
5:59 pm
i funded the power off paper airplane on kickstart. you're right. i don't imagine that's going to be regulated. can we turn to camera technology? that is the world you are focused on. how is that evil thing? when are we going to see the sensors on these devices and what is going to be possible? >> well, a year ago if he were to buy one of these with the goal of putting it in the air, you would buy something that would carry an existing camera and in many cases the go pro because it was the highest quality that you could stick on these things. this product advanced to vision loss and this is what i shot him a u. notice what looks like essentially the lens on the mechanical stabilizer and it just really decided to -- we decided to split the camera in to stabilize and unstable is portions because there is no reason to stabilize the button that is used on the land to start and stop the camera.
6:00 pm
camera. what you essentially want is a very robust, stable sensor and a lens. .. today's rant one with a separate camera, one of an integrated
6:01 pm
camera. how is that going to evolve? >> personally, i don't feel like the separate camera has realized in this game because you can't do anything with it. yes, they are opening up apis over wi-fi bluetooth sync cables to the proceedings, but ours is designed to be controlled for nothing in your or another signals and from wherever they are sent from the future. >> i think you mentioned perrett. they adopt a different approach of camera technology click >> yeah, both of these are mechanically stabilized and which is to that that these motors and those comments answers on the cetera in the spirit. so their next-generation is digitally stabilized to say this is theirs now have so many pics is that you can put a fisheye lens in front of it and move the
6:02 pm
wreck tango capture around to send her so quickly that it achieves stabilization without any waiter complexity. basically it just looks like a lead. as a result because you're reducing the complexity, the copters maller, cheaper, safer. it's probably not good mass for the cinematography you do. >> soon it will be. >> morris was a wonderful thing. >> weight is absolutely critical. >> fastest route to safety in flight. is the inside dust, dragonflies as way, better outcome at that point of omega-3 crescendos away and it's ridiculous. they can't possibly hurt anything. >> on the ski slopes receive people with their own personal train to find by
6:03 pm
>> next week. >> we are seeing footage of the moment. >> he was the one area in to the tree and that is what is in the habit because none of this is have any type ologies. i respond was actually not entirely positive. it is positive in that i love it is, that negative because people who guided his will be disappointed because they are acting magic. none of the video shot for shot with products that actually follow you and avoid object. they are but piloted projects. if you're on the ocean, on a yacht, that would be perfectly right application. in the real world, and you think that stick out and it's unfortunate that they have to fly very far away from those, much higher and there's a question of how you retrieve then. you have to time your run pretty well so when you're at the bottom because life come back to you. maybe these things would be like rocks in the future.
6:04 pm
it'll be like slalom drove. >> the beautiful thing is there's a lot more people thinking today. mark people are trying to solve it than a year ago. lumber people try to solve this a year from now. to get to a point where it's extremely reliable. i talked to use companies trying to figure out how to cooperate and is. >> that's great. let's flip to commercial use of drones and christian, question for you. they both, but where is the far trained to take elegy? what is it good at doing and ready to create value for commercial organizations? >> this is my own opinion. i think the system and chris as well. we are going through this phase for a lot of the focus to drone this elephant just like the computer era, everyone was focused on computer, then the operating system, then they focus on a software application to put on the computer. there is no news about computers
6:05 pm
today. it just doesn't make sense. that is going to be more focused on the practical things of how people are using, extract the knot of these drones. next year is going to be all about this really cool stuff people are doing with drones better part all -- practical. i read an article about how they plan on using trade for a in mars within the to figure out if they'll put a jet engine on in and out. so people are going -- you are going to see a lot of this application five years from now. it's going to be a lot of innovation. we been able to get this far which is now amount of time. i greaser now, all of the innovation will be maller, cheaper, far more reliable. all of the software will be far more reliable. the opportunities are incredible.
6:06 pm
we had someone not as if we could note a drone for cleaning windows at high races. so people are created out there. people building platforms like chris and jonathan will provide for all these different we are used cases. >> that's interesting. some of the examples you give for a minute to improve safety so don't have to those workers service, but also increasing productivity. you get straight to what you're doing and don't have to worry about the safety and data. >> for us, we are using tools these guys are building to collect the data. we are teaching all be in the face of how to use data. so we spend some of the projects we work on our fascinating. i'll share some of them with you. we sit down with construction workers every day in the use of soup or post images on top of the screen and draw circles on top of it, print them out.
6:07 pm
100 to 200 people using images at this incredible day. they print them out, taken to the field. the other day someone lost a thing and they launched the done and they were able to create the item they were looking for. so that is just collection of data enabled to see things right away. we want to go beyond that. we want to detect things on the ground, where people via sms messages. the panel took five minutes. let me analyze the data to tell you the areas you could have done. they were depleted not fast enough. all of this two weeks ago we had a construction site where they found a stop pile gone and they
6:08 pm
came back to recharge them for this out pio and use the images to say you to this pio away and brought it back. they were able to catch those guys and recharge them. they fired them, but that accountability didn't exist today. >> the difference in since been attached in some of the creative -- that wasn't an entirely what they said. >> software does amazing things. takes images in this features recognition and teaches them together. the big picture here is we like many other districts are digitized in the world. we have the ability now with this kind of sensors, cameras, satellite, drones, camera phones. we have the ability to measure the world around us, bring it to the internet cloud come in the digital world we are to haven't
6:09 pm
certain extent of it. agriculture is a great example. he plans, we fixed month and hope for the best. why don't we know what's going on? you care what the fields anymore. we don't have enough flavor to do that. what if you could digitized farms? what if you could close loop? what if you could figure out we don't have to spray pesticides because we don't have a past infection. we don't have a disease outbreak. how do we know that? who digitized world to outsmart spray chemicals until we have to. these things look like toys. >> let me ask the question. they were talking about the drone. it was 45 years out from being a reality. but why is it four to five years out? what is going to happen? >> we wrote a book about that. there so many things i haven't thought about. you can't have a proper uncover
6:10 pm
profit line into your front yard of kid surrounded. there seems chris and i talked about this. a lot of the things you guys need to think about before you go into the upper. >> a lot of technical challenge that come into play between delivering something for me treat you from point a to point the dinner always the same to delivering maybe thousands of amazon lockers to delivering from point a to everyone's household, putting apartments and homes anywhere else people may be asking for deliveries. the rest cope with the picture is likely much further than five years out in may in some incendiaries that would never be possible from the regular tourist and point. maybe applications are sent to deliver from a known area are the application feels the first. another early beta test them or
6:11 pm
say researchers at m.i.t. who have it billed the gate grant to demonstrate vaccines and medicines unaired african southeast asia or the place he delivered to this unknown quantity in the place you leave if they quantity in the case of the life-saving so there's a high motivation to make sure this happened. >> that's another thing key working with autopilot. you can't have that is the variable. to complicate the autopilot. it needs to be a fixed weight in order for it to be efficient. you mention the social good aspect of drones. i'd be interested to hear more about the samples of what they are doing social good. >> and refill the pot on their focus nominees to go vertical application, but also same time applications. one of the thing we did is we took a wall and started writing
6:12 pm
something on the wall we thought drones would be used for and we of course came up with a lot of common commercial once the top about here. we also had a section of the wall come up with some of the things we hoped and we wanted to the drones used for a monastery came up with the click antipoaching operations and wildlife conservation in aerial delivery of vaccines and medicines. those are examples we've been involved in the not a request for god, wal-mart of all places that says if this is sent in a publicly talk about. they use satellite imagery to figure out how many people go to doris. but they want to take a step further and find out how many people go beyond their ad
6:13 pm
campaigns or commercials on tv. so being able to knock that relate to so i did this ad campaign in 30 people showed up globally and also regionally is huge. another person was talking about the satellite company and how they are selling imagery around all the manufacturing plant where they can tell if they're manufacturing a new apple phone because they see the trucks going in and out. they sell the data to different people. you see how valuable that can be. >> we've got five minutes before q&a. let's talk about the business opportunity, where the money is. i seem prediction that someone who's in the audience tonight around the train to market by 2025, almost $100 billion in the
6:14 pm
faa saying that 10,000 rooms. i was wondering why the faa was coming up with a number quite low. maybe they're talking about your runs. where's the value today? how little golf overtime? clearly there is money in hardware today. >> at stars that are greater and then becomes the airway to get sent this to theky. so we make our money from hardware today. we are very happy to have other people make the hardware. at the end of the day, nobody cares about the drone. they care about what that can do and whether it's pure data. like everything else, it is also difficult for us. >> going back to the chris that,
6:15 pm
fast-forward with the search guys are doing his name playing the public for anybody to be a driver. they are doing the same thing. you can be real estate agent and have a train to provide service is to provide services you could do before. the search and rescue person can utilize these two fine people at the data and all that. the monastery will show up in the next 35 years they're going to be unimaginable today. >> says the service is data -- >> satellites a precedent for this. on the corporation said hey, taken out to farmer. i don't know what to do with the data. so to their credit, climate corp. went back and asked what they want. as soon as we got is that we would like cheaper crop
6:16 pm
insurance. they took the data in turned it in to actuarial is to generate better crop insurance syndicate venture company sold $4 billion. >> i can't wait until the day when drones are boring. i've been used is basically every day where some number of years. a little excited because they fly, but it is just a tool. when i'm using these, i'm thinking about what we're doing with it. and i don't care about it. it's a sensor somewhere you see that in the sql views these things a lot. if you're a sports layer is electrified fast, type ologies changes fast enough so you're always interested in what coming out. i'm interested in playing l daily safely in getting a better picture. >> you see that what journalists, to.
6:17 pm
>> this is about robotics in general. the moment of quirks in the dishwasher. i can't wait for the to turn into dishwashers. i'd love to take the robotics out of her come any. and it's just late who cares how it applies. it flies. >> our perspective and chris mentioned earlier the cost of the hardware is coming down every so many months. we had the viewpoint that just under the cost of the hardware free. if all the hardware for free tomorrow, where's the value? the value is in the software and software specifically requires fewer people to operate the aircraft, the software that enables you to operate them in a upcoming essay appeared software lets you to decrease the risk says he did with using
6:18 pm
technology software that helps you be comply whatever regulations are to come out and let the insurance regulation tire. says software purpose of software in the multinational companies for a quote interested in you see drones. they're not interested all. they're interested in the data they can collect. drones is one type of data collection mechanism. in many cases, mechanist in some way to get the data from the ground of their personal, 10 cents on the dangers, overly cost he was time intensive to do so with you can be decreased by doing it from the air. let's have some q&a. let's have some q&a. >> thanks.
6:19 pm
two questions. is there a definitive website or publication where drone people go periodically appeared if someone wanted an rfp, there's a new company every week said they would know who to send it to said they would post it there. that first question. second is how looked is how will the new faa rules get made? is their proposed rulemaking on what will prevent the bozo fat or? for example, have a two-pound limit to me is kind of because you could get killed by a one pound drone falling out of the sky. what makes sense to me is kind of a harm factor. what is it terminal velocity? a 20-pound styrofoam trained to do less harm. >> so france at the regulations. they have number total joules of energy if anyone pointed time, which is a function as airspeed
6:20 pm
as well as way. one of the biggest problems in the united states if congress mandated the faa come out with regulation and from the onset that one of the points is 55 pounds. what they should've done is say you come up with regulations do you think are appropriate in the faa would've likely looked at the problem and 55 pounds does not make sense is the dividing line. but they make sense as two pounds or five pounds research number of joules of energy in the case in other countries like france have decided not that much lower weight classes at 55 pounds. >> the way to think about it is that airspace territory which is a thousand feet enough. there's a space for unmanned don't fly. about a thousand feet, you're right about playing to playing. i would take down a jetliner? that sort of precise. you kind of say if a jet engine
6:21 pm
in just this, would that be a terrible thing? below 1000 feet talk about writing to treason telephone line and children in that kind of stuff that you have different -- they talk about purse of safety. >> well below 1000 isthmian helicopter flights living search and rescue police as well as blithely place. they're almost always below a thousand feet. helicopters are more efficient as well as agricultural crop dust team within the last two years there started multiple in it in the small pond and aircraft nearly creating a crop duster aircraft in a two to four-pound aircraft is a large obstacle to hit at 70 miles an hour and the play but only with a thousand pounds. >> the question is what is the right inbox?
6:22 pm
83 feticide which rarely of the law. a chicken farmer back at world war ii decided airplane low 82 feet is actually the number 83 feet. he taught me what the number is. excel is, 83 feet, whatever. >> there's a committee called rtca. >> question is how are the rules going to get made? >> part of the process is a step committee in which their spokespeople for the faa is for evelyn mistry come it is involved in coming up with part of the process and rules later this year the essay is supposed to actually release with their proposal for the rules will be, which will take effect until next year and that is specifically for small aircraft. >> the other question is how to
6:23 pm
keep out today. what is the rule -- >> we also sit on the astm standards committee at 38, which is passed with creating the act. once rules are in place, what are the standards, aircraft, hardware and software comply with her commercial operation. >> next question. also come ues news. patrick is here somewhere. various. that's where i go. he collects a lot of wiki news about this space. unfortunately the consumer space, very interested in how the fine, you have to go to the foreign and they are not very friendly. >> there's a couple of c-span for the head of the faa talks about the challenges of setting up the laws. one of the biggest challenges we
6:24 pm
have a lot of relation ships with the faa is about is working with law enforcement, working with cities. how are they going to enforce these laws? it becomes extremely busy start taking about having these guys flying around in police having to be responsible for enforcing the state. bill secord filled up with people claiming eight break the laws and have no proof. definitely a big challenge imad ad. we are sort of tackling the private space area where a lot of these come it is we are working with have ensured a big spot in the sky they have hard at and their massive companies. they are sort of having -- they are perfect for working with the faa to figure out a plan of attack within rather than trying to circum- at the.
6:25 pm
>> rate, next question, please. >> risk of a made a great comment that we are digitizing the world. my question to the panel is about privacy and ownership, which is what happened when a digitize my neighbor or it happens when digitize and make editors are valuable data. how do you look do you expect going forward? >> i get this question a lot. the first biggest a lot of people are not aware what the faa rates are. flight of your neighbor's backyard is illegal. it's banned by faa regulation. you can't flyover populated areas. so anybody who's flying over your backyard is essentially an faa violation to set to cease and desist $10,000 fine. privacy in the united states despite you because it's based on a community standard, which varies from region to region.
6:26 pm
we have 8080 and how legislative processes right now to figure out thanks to traffic cameras they spoke a camera phone, et cetera. at least in the united states for we don't have a monolithic privacy rule, it is force a few purposes rather than privacy. we don't want that big flying over our backyard whether it's taking pictures are not. >> any other comment? >> i would say there's a lot of existing tort law in this baseball around privacy and in many cases find out your neighbors started taking pictures is more of a civil case any criminal case for a case where the faa needs to be involved at all. >> a lot of people don't know what desire they don't what kind of cameras they carry. they assume that they can see one, it can pay you.
6:27 pm
that's really not the case. two weeks ago a guy was attacked by a woman on a public beach because he was flying one. he cut it locally on video. it was on vertical video, whih should be allowed. he was attacked because she said he was a. he posted the footage he got, which was very high level. if you look at the great kid, that's the shot you get. she didn't understand what if i said what he was doing it just to attack him. >> is one of the things people don't think about how they see them. he could put your camera phone and hold it over the fence to take a picture of your neighbor and have no idea. you fly above it a go figurehead of a totally know. >> next question. >> yes, are you getting any pushback from industries you'd be disrupting the same ebay
6:28 pm
business that is operating a crane camera for doing helicopter shots for movies. yet i would be looking at this is rather threat. >> for many of the industries, they look at the tech elegy is a tool insisting very complementary and also sent me that will increase the total market size. companies who do existing powerlite inspection by me and therefore expand are very excited about adapting this type knowledge he said it can actually do some of the massive inspection of powerline that are not economical to do today the unmanned helicopter with trade too. >> in terms of cinematography -- >> will space gets a lot bigger and you have existing players doing some gold went and there might be a reason. there is a good reason. in this specific case of hollywood they party been using
6:29 pm
these. would u. s-sierra shots, chances are they were probably taken with a train to admit just been under the radar because you're not allowed to do this commercially according to the faa. now that is starting to change the receipt conversation between hollywood and the faa was some exceptions to the rules. >> is actually create jobs because right now it's hard to get cameras in the sky because it's dangerous and. so as a result the skies are largely in tea. it's not like these things are replacing. these are doing jobs that been done at all. >> my own experience we were working with the university and we went to one of their farm i
6:30 pm
don't use

21 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on