Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  September 3, 2015 8:00am-10:01am EDT

8:00 am
because they need that challenge. they need to be able to step up to the platform that they have created, the platform that they presented to the public. if you make a statement on a certain issue and someone comes back and challenges you on it and says something that you may have slipped up on in your campaign, you have to be able to come back and present yourself the right way, how you intended it to be, or explain yourself as far as, you have to be able to stand by your word basically. if you say something, you have to be able to explain it. you have to be able to stand firm by it. so i say yes, we should have that sort of debate. we should have that sort of the media where people are able to challenge and speak up and say things on certain issues,
8:01 am
especially what our politicians aside. >> i agree with what he is saying but i also think for new voters they can be kind of confusing, because they were still trying to figure out what you want in a candidate, and like what values he supports. and so when they're going back and forth and you have like this smear campaign, it's hard to determine whether they are telling the truth or not it is hard to differentiate the accuser could be kind of a turnoff because he just kind of wanted separate yourself. is so hard to tell what's what, that you don't even want to vote for either. i think it can go both ways. >> now, with that in mind i also with what you said a moment ago, decarri, about somebody switching positions, as human
8:02 am
beings we hope to encounter new information, new stimuli, and this expands our thought process. back to the double edged sword, for example, barack obama when he was first elected -- bless you -- didn't support homosexual marriage. they got ahead of him and said i support that. a barack obama said no, famously, he said -- [inaudible] but then most people that would take is devolution and use it as flip-flopping. one candidate said they supported, do you support the war in iraq was a change and
8:03 am
said you were for it and now you're against it. my question is, is where is the room for intelligent altering of your position, and where do we draw the line and say who is a person who might just say anything so they will get elected? >> well, i think it's kind of a thing overtime. if you of kind of change positions and not that much amount of times that i'm not really going to trust you. i'm thinking your flip-flopping, just trying to do what everything is popular, which is trending right now, that you're just going to fit in to get the votes. but if it's got aboard over time
8:04 am
the thing that's gradual that is more of a thing that you kind of graduate from this type of thinking to another type of thinking, then i might believe you as evolving, as you said. >> pretty much a great? >> agreed. >> and i'm just really impressed with the idea, i would like to answer. >> thank you. >> that people can do things for the spur of the moment but the idea of time and checking your positions over time is very important. speaking of time, earlier we were given an impromptu history lesson understand the all the high school history and you don't want to do it anymore so did want to go down that road, but we talked about the evolution of the right to vote.
8:05 am
i stop with the 19th amendment. i didn't get to the 26th amendment. when we start this discussion in bringing young people to the table and hopefully encouraging young people to go to the ballot box, we have to kind of remember one of the recent things to get done in terms of young people is young people can't vote. if you're a politician and he has an interest group in front of him, usually that politician is going to deal with their particular issue. well, up until the 26th amendment, one has to be 21 years of age in this country to vote. now our new age is 18. so as we begin to look at that,
8:06 am
what issues -- we've already discussed, and we could expand upon this if you like, but we discussed student roles. we discussed the common core curriculum. we discussed lgbtq community. our next question brings us to this idea on the end. one particular thing, and what i would really like for you to do, if you can't, is to give one thing that would drive you to the polls to vote. digging you this person was for plopping -- if you knew this person with flip-flopping and unique his personal associate was on point and we were researched it, what one thing would you be able to latch onto
8:07 am
to make your decision between candidate a and candidate b? >> one thing as teacher oftentimes we don't have such a good job on. would ask them questions and then we get a frame of silence. why don't you take a moment. it's okay. i think our bigger problem is that when people respond to questions without thinking. so this is a good example that we have sitting in front of us.
8:08 am
[inaudible] >> i have a question. you're asking us what would make us choose between candidate a and candidate b speak with you have two candidates. they are pretty similar in terms of the background, experience. i am staying away from party you. in fact, it's not even deal with party. let's make this a primary and they're both from the same party, okay? what would push you to pick candidate a over candidate b to be the person who's going to get the nomination and run for that
8:09 am
office speak with i would say besides the fact, like besides their values, kind of aligning with mine. i guess making sure, kind of like what decarri was saying earlier. at making sure they're not just talking and that there actually, the actions back up what passing in c. like they have a history of doing so. so i guess that would come if that was the difference between the two, i would pick that one over the other. >> action match words. a particular issue or particular thing about somebody that would make you pick that person over the other person who isn't trying to get that nomination. -- who is trying to get that nomination.
8:10 am
>> what about no homework for a year? [laughter] imd no homework candidate. i'm being facetious, but when we look at our elections, we give every governor in the history of alabama, and i suspect it's in all 50 states can but anyone who runs for governor is always the education governor. why -- we have an education governor every four years. we are sitting at number 49. [laughter] what would you suggest to get that person from just, throwing out a cliché, like education, and say something to you that we
8:11 am
speak to you as a voter? >> i would say that their stance on racial equality, economically. how they stand and present themselves, like where they stand on the issue. would probably be the one deciding factor, but honestly i don't think i could say they would be just one deciding factor. for me it's hard. if i look at two candidates, especially if they're in the same part in a seat their campaigns are for the most part equally good and there's only one that has one thing that i like, i would still be hesitant to go with that candidate because on what they do get the
8:12 am
presidency, it's not a guarantee that they will be able to go through with that plan. there's no guarantee that that will be one of the things that they can for sure get past one of the things they can for certain commit their campaign whether office to doing. whether they are running on that concept and then when they get to office they see the have to focus on other issues, that's where my mind goes. i'm always thinking two steps down the line, are they going to be able to stick to that? as far as, definitely with governorship and presidency, you can never be too certain if they're going to be able to focus in on those specific issues that you voted for them for. they may have to focus more on taxes or that they had to be focusing more on education but there's a guarantee that they'll be able to focus directly in on
8:13 am
racial tensions as far as economics go. whether it is being treated fairly or being paid equally, not just racially but gender equality as well. so i guess equality would be that one thing but honestly i can't say it would be just one small thing to make me go left or right. >> okay. well, taking gender and racial equality, we could walk into our next question with that, and our next question deals with the idea of the voting rights act, that we are in the midst of the 50 years since this has been signed, and the are a lot of
8:14 am
questions that have been asked around that but i will stick to this end to in terms of the voting rights act and in terms of racial equality, how do you as a young person view you have been impacted by the voting rights act? >> i think like an election back in 2012, it kind of puts an even level towards a sense of things because i'm not looking at, depending on one group of people to make decisions for the country. i can have my say so as well. so i think, like after i got a sense of pride in the country that this is something i have a right to do, and i just did for my first time. it makes you feel good about your seven also realize what we have gone through at this point, to do something like that.
8:15 am
>> with the voting rights act, i guess besides the obvious that it giving me the right to vote, i think there are positive things. i mean, i do understand the valley of my vote, and i'm thankful for it, but i think not just in terms of how like impacted myself. i think since it became so accessible for so many different people, people kind of diminished the value of voting for me i guess. i mean, we have the right to vote, but not everyone utilizing it. it kind of is a downturn of it i guess. >> that's interesting. i'm going to redirect a little
8:16 am
bit. if you felt, you seem to think that if people felt the right to vote was threatened, they might take it more seriously? you seem to think that? >> no, i don't think it needs to be threatened but i think they did understand how important it is again. i think when people didn't have the right they understood how important was to gain a. so now that we have it we've kind of lost the understanding of why it's important. we need to kind of get that back and teach younger people by it's important and why it's so valuable. >> well, with that, you guys have been -- now i would like to open this up in terms of, we want to open it up to the
8:17 am
people, to the many. so i would like to introduce you all to kindle, and while i'm introducing you to her, she is the lady with the mic. she's also the lady that has worked tirelessly to arrange everything that you're looking at this afternoon, and she -- [applause] we are all talking heads. questions, concerns, comments? kendall will come to you. >> good evening. i noted in my first election in 1978. i want to the polls to register in 1977. that president that just got elected, gerald ford in 1976.
8:18 am
what challenges do you have as young people now as far as getting to the polls and playing a vital role in the political process at your age now? >> i don't think there's too much of anything keeping us in getting to the polls. i know in birmingham our local elementary schools, they use as voting facilities. local churches, community centers. you have a lot of places located all throughout the community that you can go to to place your vote. i see that they are designed for the most part to be accessible to everyone. for me, from where i live it would be three or four block walk to the elementary to be
8:19 am
able to vote. so it should not so much anything restraining us physically from getting to these places if we are willing to get up and actually go to them. but more so our stance or whether or not we feel like we should or we want to vote. [inaudible] most amazing, what do you think as of now what is calling you all to be so active? >> i think we realize what's at stake by going to these elections because the are issues that are going to affect us, my generation, the long run. we don't realize what effect it will happen while running now, when it gets to the time when the issue affects us. it may be too late to try and, you know, vote for a certain
8:20 am
change or certain issues because of that time has passed and now have to open the issue of begin to work we have another problem. i can tell you what the problems will be down the road what they may be, but the fact is if we were to handle it now and encourage people come and coach our friends to all vote, that we may be able to solve an issue before it becomes a bigger one that we all seek okay, this is a problem, we need to solve it before it gets out of hand. >> another question and i will sit down. these two teenagers, you all now or in the age, volunteer on different campaigns. is there anything that you would do in the near future that will put you in someone's campaign office that we have some relations angle local level
8:21 am
coming up soon and? >> community service? >> what i'll are you doing to people -- what i'll are you doing to help people vote? >> well, i think mr. mack said in my introduction, i busted a journalist for alabama public television contents of the project i worked on last season was the voting rights act. there's like a digital classroom and we went around. we went to selma, we went to montgomery, we went to different
8:22 am
places and if you people trying to raise awareness on voting and where we have been in the past and where we should be in the future. so then the little things like that to try and raise awareness of foreboding. >> -- for voting. >> i think i'm going to be honest here. i haven't done as much as i should have before this event. when i saw this event, the opportunity to join is a way for me to help spread the word, help for people my age learn about voting rights in learning that it's really, really important for our government to get young people to vote. the way the structure of the country is, it really doesn't
8:23 am
work that well. you have people left out, people's voice is not being heard. so in answer to your question, i have more to do. >> and i have to interject. i was going try not to butt out of you all so much. fairbank daschle but it's because these four students arguing. i had to find them and stop them from what the activities and actions and their planning for the future than four communities future, and tend to being one of the youngest on this panel and not knowing me whatsoever, just came up to and and said i want to be part of this. -- decarri. while they may not be able to put into words because these are very hands on youth and i think you'll see that in this generation and you are sink that in this generation is they are actually doing a lot of the work. >> and then some. >> next question.
8:24 am
>> i want to commend the panel. u. r. all very intelligent. i have sat here and -- [applause] entertained, interesting and even my husband, he's interesting and intelligent, too. [applause] my question to you is i know in your future you're going to do some great things, and thinking about your future, thinking about your future forward, do we see any of you thinking about getting into politics? and if so, which offers would you be interested in? >> yes, that could be politically inclined. [laughter] >> i'm kind of strange on the issue because i love history but
8:25 am
i can't stand politics. [laughter] and it's kind of funny because most of the things i worry about our politics. i don't see myself running for any positions or trying to promote for any position, promote myself or any position. will but as far as working towards, like i was talking about a lot earlier, racial equality, gender equality, helping people to understand the facts of life on issues so that people can understand the other side where people are coming from, when black people sick we want our equal rights, where we we're coming from when we say we are tired of being gunned down by police officers. we are tired of being looked over by jobs. those are social and cultural
8:26 am
issues, but they are not going to be solved in less they are presented in a political stand. so i just can't i kind of just see myself at this moment trying to help educate, trying to show people what the issues are, why it's a problem for so many people. and trying to create something to make a difference in that. but as far as a political office, i don't know. >> i can't for the myself in the near future, graduating next spring, also going to politically based computer, getting involved in politics. but being a public health measure i would like to change in how, for example, -- std rates, i would love to build something with it.
8:27 am
if the opportunity came for me to make a profound impact on people's thoughts are in the state any position where i'm working to help, in high school i want do something in communication. now i find myself making and public health. i would like to do something with that. >> i kind of agree with george and dick i like to educate and i like to have conversations and talk about police brutality and voting for those sorts of things. honestly i wanted to into science, i want to be a wildlife researcher. kind of on the opposite end but i still like to discussions with people and kind of spread the word while being in the science. >> well, i really don't see myself being in politics, maybe later on in life i'll decide to do that. but really my goal in life will be, for me, i want to be able to
8:28 am
get to the platform or i can try to help educate other people, try to help other people in different ways. that's what my main goal is. so i really don't see myself being a politician. >> well, i just wanted to say thank you all for this forum. i think we need more of this type of situation in order to educate our young people. i do think this issue is just like charity. it starts at home and it spreads abroad. we talk about educating the youth in our schools, but what about pat holmquist and i really feel like that's where it begins competitive think it should start at an early age. i've dragged this child all over everywhere and give him awareness about the voting
8:29 am
process and to try and teach him about how important it is to be a part of this process. you know, we've had people that died to have this right and i think that everyone should learn, should exercise their right. but there are some people who are not getting it at home and i think once you start getting it, it becomes habit forming. when we see you go out and vote, or not they will do the same thing. i really want to thank you all. i really appreciated this and i really enjoyed it. and all the panelists say that they don't think they will be politicians, but to help that we have a lot of future politicians out of this group, not only the panelists but also the of the youth in this room. so that's my hope and my prefer the future. because we are looking for our future leaders and i know we have some right here in this room. thank you all.
8:30 am
>> hello, everyone. my name is carlos. first off i want to thank the painter you guys are phenomenal. i'm glad to see such brave young people discussing this issue. right now i'm a youth director for national action network and we pretty much talked of young people people about getting interested in voting. ..
8:31 am
something we had to teach each other how to do. right now i'm a candidate 21 years old running. i believe there's young people we have to step up the plate and encourage people on a national level, any kind of level, what i learned from those elections is young people are interested because we don't make them interesting. we have to do that by meeting them where they are. [applause] >> calvin, i think trigg is really interesting. >> i have a question.
8:32 am
how do you think social media will have the effect of not? the social media at this don't get involved and may create awareness. people in likening. the has a lot to do with some of the same people out there posting on such media, putting hash database, hash tag that and they help out with the issue and that is the biggest problem. you try to advocate for change are trying to talk to people are put at the front to give favorites are attention. that's okay but if you are not getting attention the right way,
8:33 am
it doesn't push it forward at all. it hurts more than anything and that's not right at all to do. >> a lot of people and for a few minutes -- they don't continue on with efforts. so i think that is one problem with what is going on and how people post things like you said. >> me personally, am one of those people do see things on facebook and tumbler constantly
8:34 am
and are constantly re-blogging, posting by making my statement about it. i do have my moments like here we go again, posts. i don't even feel like commenting right now. post. i have moments where i am like i have to speak out. i have to say something. whether i'm able to do it publicly, when i first came back this year i was talking to a bunch of the workers here about actually doing something about justices of police brutality against the knowledge, education, something going so people are just trying to fight for their rights, trying to fight for their lives. it is hard to do that and i say it's hard to do that in birmingham because it has lost a very large element of its former
8:35 am
praises them. birmingham is a really calm place now. we have majority black -- and if we if we have a majority black police department, the that the police achieve is a black man and said there is an element of we are not going to tolerate racism in our infrastructure in the city. and there still elements of racism in birmingham, but it's not as prevalent. birmingham is not one of those places places where people are gunning people down or thinking someone is pulling something out of your pocket for dragging kids from a pool party. or maybe amazon one of those places that do that. not saying one of those events couldn't have been. it could. it could happen anywhere. i've seen reports of where it has happened here. i know the state of alabama as a
8:36 am
whole is very much inclined to the behavior. for me as someone who want to promote awareness of the issue, promote awareness of police brutality, what we as african-americans, especially as youth, what we can be doing to notify people to gain some ground and explain what is happening and gain some ground into teaching each other how to handle these situations. there is a little resistance and not because it almost feels misplaced because a lot of us don't see back here in the city. they are like why would i have to worry about that. why should that other me when in reality you go to tom elsewhere and one of these things could happen to you. you go to another county and any one of our surrounding states and it will happen to you. and it is scary to get that
8:37 am
across to people because it is not right in front of them and because it is not right in front of them, it is hard to make people want to take action on it. for me personally, just seen the reports on the news coming here in france discriminated against, me personally experiencing discrimination and on top of that, seeing things on facebook, tumbler, seeing things through twitter that have happened and are still happening. it is sad. it is really, really sad and it is hard to make anyone -- not necessarily make anyone want to cooperate with the movement of change, but it's hard to get people to recognize in their current position is so peaceful and they are not necessarily thinking what is happening to my
8:38 am
neighbor's estate over. >> i see it as a negative in a positive. i see the point that it makes people lazy. they are lazy and do instead be on their cell phones but also a positive because this is not something new. it is happening all the time and it has happened before. but now we have a cell phone to slide out when you have a camera and you can videotape in a matter of seconds and then another matter of seconds posted to any website and it's out there. i find that is a plus. you are trying to keep in it and people space because a lot of people don't want to hear a with the constant posting the ca 24/7. i also find it as a platform and way of organizing as well because people can go share their stories and it can try and
8:39 am
and go off very quickly and you can go an answer grammar twitter and say we are having a protest on kelley ingram at 5:00 and then you get tons of attention from that. i think it is a plus, also a negative. >> i am so law clerk for the honorable for judge cornell german in family court who is now running for domestic court in 2016. i am the mother of two young men. one that is 24 that is passed, but one who is 21 and he is a senior at stanford. i want to apply to you young people because i am so excited about how motivated you wire.
8:40 am
when i listen to my son when he comes home, he is so jaded. i am like your mother. i hate drugs and to every polling group from the time they were in diapers. i have to literally make them vote. he is so jaded. i don't know if it's because of the people he associates with at stanford and i'm going to ask you this. is there something -- he's doing an internship at city hall. i literally had to make him. this is the last thing anybody would want. at first he refused amendment has been offered to go in and talk to him and it's a little bit different with him. he is so jaded and i don't know if it's really helped to. i want to ask you young people wired generation, the young
8:41 am
folk, we need you to calm vote prior to this thing and be a part of it and make it all happen. why do you feel so jaded when it comes to politics? why do you feel that every politician lies? i know you have some reasons, but why? and i am asking the panel. i am so impressed with you guys. i really thought we had lost it. but why do you think your generation is so jaded when it comes to the political arena? >> i think our generation -- there's multiple fronts to not answer, but especially for me,
8:42 am
we live in a generation where our societies are much more diverse. everyone sees social issues differently. like you say, your son went to stanford, is at stanford now. i was at the university of west alabama for a while. before that i was at university of alabama birmingham. uab is definitely one of the most diverse campuses i have ever been on. you have a lot of different positions and you hear different ideas of how people think and you are like yak on the are like yakov needlepoint .. four yeah, you have a point on that. the man i'm a lot of things, a lot of us get burnt out on it but we don't want to deal with it or we don't want to even look at the issue because it is like
8:43 am
e-mail, at the end of the day gets our vote even count. we have the electoral college and we get to choose regardless of what we say. different things make it feel like we don't really have a voice. we get burnt out on it and looking at the positions of the candidates, what they want to do and we see what we want to see accomplished, whether or not that candidate is going about accomplishing that at all or they say they want to go about fixing an issue, but are they going about it the right way. and at that point, if we say no, if the other candidates were completely against, you're kind of in a mind that us who read so far, i'm kind of voting for the lesser two evils. that really does deter people from wanting to vote at all.
8:44 am
because if i vote for this guy, he is probably going to segregate the united states again. where this guy is going to promise me they will lower student loans, but where the money comes from they used to replace all of that, how are they going to fund this project to pay for student loans? how would they fund the project to cut loans in half or whatever the plan is. we see that and we are like okay, you can do that, but somewhere down the line you have so many people doing this, that and the other. it's not even going to matter. they still can't afford it. interest rates both still keep steadily going up. is there really even a point to this? that is just one aspect of why i think we get jaded about it because we get to the point we
8:45 am
are so fed up, so tired we don't want to deal with it anymore. audio mac -- [inaudible] >> i think we think a lot alike. [inaudible] >> yes or no. especially when we get to college we are kind of free thinkers. we want to go out on our own and experience things. one of the main things is where old enough to think for ourselves. we don't usually like to listen. a lot of times we have to experience things on our round so we don't want to hear you guys. but honestly, parents should talk to children about it. get them riled up, tell them this is a situation you are
8:46 am
worried about, but there are other issues on the table, not just that. if this candidate -- like i was saying earlier, just one thing that makes his mind. if that candidate is pushing for a comment bnc and your interests are b., c. and d., are you so going to vote even though you don't agree with a? will you still push for other things regardless that they will probably mess up what you think is ideal for whatever subject is who are you going to go with the other candidate who either doesn't care at all about those issues and is focusing on something completely different. the main point for parents is to show them even though you have those positions where you feel like this candidate is good, that they are not going to do
8:47 am
anything for me. they should still vote because there's opportunities for the candidate to take on more projects later. there is no guarantee that those things that candidate stated will be the things they act upon or that they will be able to act upon, if they put more effort into it. it is more so showing them other factors of their life that need attention. other factors have been a citizen in the united states is going to matter other than just that one thing and you still should voice your opinion on that. >> also to follow up with what jordan was just saying is that those should be prioritized. i've been back about just being a student at uab because by can't they go for optiona and option b. and maybe on different lines, your votes do matter because let's say take up a position.
8:48 am
that could swing a vote right there for candidate a poor candidate needs. it does matter and people need to realize that. it can have an impact. if you're able to encourage say the speaker said it is for income, a small increase. but that's 40,000 more young kids my age that had just voted if you keep going up from there. >> not just the parents, but those candidates on the local level, when we do get a president that have a stance on certain issues, our local leaders going to inform us how that system works or how it operates? are they backing not to stand or are they against that system?
8:49 am
it's really come down to being able to know your local officials and local leaders because they are the ones who ultimately place their votes on the bill that the president says i want to do something about the student loans. this is my plan for student loans. if we don't vote on a local level, we don't know who is going insane obama got your bill. i don't feel like reading it. that may look at this and see what you have to say. okay, i agree with that. do they go back in and report to the people their position on it. today discuss with the community what the ideas are and what the community's ideas are and what do you think we should do in this situation.
8:50 am
just being able to see i'm not local level where they stand on it would create much more influence for both. the whole point is to get the more involved at the local level. we are always good to see about the presidential candidacy. but at the local levels backing not? other local officials supporting our cause is, what we ask them to support? are they completely against it? that is actually where youth vote is lacking. >> speaking of those. i was kind of charred by the fact you are not all at this point interested in politics. but that takes us to a question we ask everyone when they walk down this evening. the question we asked was what do you see to be the biggest
8:51 am
problem in politics? without her was interesting to conduct a little love around this evening. if you walk in, you wrote it down and you can cast your ballot. i have here the results of that election and what i would like to do that we don't always do in congress is people make notes but they don't always stand out. when i call out the issue you voted for, don't stand, but raise your hand so we can get an idea of these things. biggest problems and politics. youth voter education.
8:52 am
this was an interesting one. political parties. >> i didn't vote, but i would agree to that. >> at the outset, we were warned against political parties. george washington said people would become more interested in party didn't venture a comment respect to politicians. okay. and certainly not least, black issues in ways that support. >> i will say that, too. >> many different things we have encountered this evening and
8:53 am
heard this evening. one of those things we talked about was education. we have a former founding board member and that is my mentor who i call my coach. that is peggy sparks. she has been in this community -- [applause] trying to enhance the educational conflicts we have here in birmingham throughout the state. one of the things she works with is called the national issues forum. if your school is not familiar with it and does not participate, it is really something that is a powerful tool to bring people to the idea of deliberation and deliberation is one of those things we have to do before we decide what the
8:54 am
issues are and who we allow to plan to handle those things. she works tirelessly and it is still something that exists today. i encourage everybody to find their way to the forum and if you would like to give a brief statement -- [inaudible] because she was so informed about the issues and she was able to inform her family, her friends, church members and she got 18 votes that she knew she was responsible for. so thank you for the opportunity. >> thank you all for coming out. this concludes our program this evening.
8:55 am
make sure that you fill out one of the evaluation forms. and we know what we need to work on. that is how we know the next program. thank you so much. before you leave, our next voting right discussion will be on the 16th where we will discuss restoring your right as an ex-offender and the final one will be august 6 where we will discuss a very important case. our guests sampled the u.s. attorney george bands and reverend cap duke, president of the naacp. please do like your evaluations and thank you all so much. [inaudible conversations] also, if you're not interested to go, they will be in the back.
8:56 am
those who are not registered to vote. [inaudible conversations]
8:57 am
>> i think we need a different model of legal education. that includes one-year programs for people doing routine work, two-year programs as an option for people who want to do something specialized in the third year and three full years for people who want the full general practice legal education that we now have. you know, it is crazy to train in the same way somebody who's doing routine divorces in a small town in the midwest and
8:58 am
somebody is doing mergers and acquisitions on wall street. we have the ones i spent a model of legal education that is extremely expensive. the average debt level is $100,000. that assumes that you can train everybody to do everything in the same way. i'm licensed to practice in two states and i wouldn't trust myself to do a routine divorce. >> up next, conversation and the 2016 presidential race that we will hear from former rnc chair and cornell belcher. amy walter of the political report with paul wilson and npr's model. nbc's chuck todd moderated the discussion at george washington university. [applause]
8:59 am
>> thank you, provost lettermen for that lovely introduction in for everything that you have done for the george washington university. thanks to you. [applause] book on to the "avatar" and come the school of media and public affairs at george washington university and the self-important city in the world. we are going to your remarkable conversation about a truly remarkable political season this evening with truly remarkable people. this is our first event of the year and we are kicking it off in style with the absolutely sold-out house which i am delighted to see. how many students are in the room? which i'm even more delighted to see and c-span which i'm even more delighted to see. i am very delighted this evening. we are presenting the program this evening and a true
9:00 am
collaborative spirit of the graduate school of political management, gw college democrats and college republicans. do they have been a college republicans in the room? okay. the school of public affairs as mentioned is a very dynamic place that has two natures, journalism and mass communication and political communication. masters in strategic communication, so this conversation tonight, like what we do every day in the research and study and that our students do is timely. it is sharp and incredibly relevant not just to the help of the public debate in the nature of our politics but the help of the republic in the future and how we will engage and be informed and communicate and be governed. as was mentioned, tonight's event is the official kickoff of the anniversary and i want just a moment to talk about it
9:01 am
because it is something we are very proud of them very excited about. we have several alumni joining us. can you raise your hands? several national council members here. raise your hand. i will call you out in a moment. we've got a number of faculty. thank you for being here, all of you. we will be celebrating the entire year for special events and other things and highlighting the accomplishments of our alumni, in reaching the student experience and looking to the future as we grow the next generation of leaders in journalism and politics and political communication and advocacy. as part of our silver anniversaanniversa ry we have a number of event next week will host one that will be quite fascinating which revolves around the subject of marriage equality and how those who accept the agenda around marriage equality changed the
9:02 am
national conversation and what really was a remarkable period of time. if you're interested in joining us, keep your eyes peeled, that information will pop up on our website. i also want to tell you about a new program we are launching the hopes that this part of our silver anniversary. we are announcing the s&p a career access network. this will do a number of things. it provides subsidies and funding for underpaid because so many of you know and change shapes as part of your college experience are so important in getting the professional toehold in the experience to bring to the classroom. secondly, we will use initiative to encourage connection during networking events and finally and mentoring program between navigation one night and
9:03 am
students. we set a goal to launch this thing and as part of our overall $10 million making history campaign, this is what we are building for the future and we are very excited about where it's going. if anybody wants to help us, we are interested in talking to you. find me or anybody and we would be delighted to have the conversation. i do want to recognize a couple people briefly. i national council members come in the chair for national council is here, it premiered by surrey board. adam connor for my national council is here and has shot made it? not quite yet. john of fact which is sworn in this evening is the new head of the broadcasting board of governors that oversees all of america's media, brought kasten telecasts around the world. that is a very important job. we are highlighting this evening
9:04 am
the extended community of the school of media and public affairs, the remarkable things they've done, the incredible contributions they have made and the wonderful thought and substance they bring to us and to our students and faculty into this university through their lives. so i am now going to introduce the panel, all of whom are related to the school of public affairs as i said and i will call them out one at a time and if you know that you can applaud and if you don't know them, you can still apply. i will start with our national council member paul wilson, wilson and communications a television digital communications company. [applause] he has participated at various levels in six presidential campaigns. any particular party? >> i think republican. >> i think so too. >> 13 years.
9:05 am
next, smpa cornell belcher on research and strategies. [applause] you have seen him on cnn and other television networks, one of the premier strategist and politics which i take to mean a cornell democrat. he previously served under chairman howard dean as the first minority to lead in that role for international party. next i school of public affairs distinguished fellow, frank fahrenkopf. cochairman of the commission on presidential debates. [applause] they can ask the general election presidential and vice presidential debate in election years in the 1980s served as chairman of the republican party for six years. that is when i first met franke
9:06 am
when were both teenagers. i was covering ronald reagan and he was explaining him. next, distinguished fellow amy walter, national editor of the cook political report. [applause] where she provides analysis of issues, trends, events that shaped the political environment. her weekly column appears that the little gold.com page is also a panelist on "meet the press." one other persons on the air right now so she will join us later if they don't go too long on the air and that is our former fellow, you probably heard her on npr were seen her on fox. she brings an incredible insight to what she does and she will i hope brings them here off the air. and now, moderator for this evening who was a student at the george washington university is an amazing student of american
9:07 am
politics and has become the great teacher of american politics. he is moderator of "meet the press," political director nbc news from the newest member of our national council. please give a warm welcome to chuck todd. [applause] while chuck takes his seat, i just want to do one quick thing. i want to recognize lorraine voles who is here as the external relations brains behind this university. i also want to thank the guys who wouldn't be here if it weren't for them. we will turn it over to you on this great panel. how many freshmen are in the building? 25 years ago was obviously the founding of this school.
9:08 am
25 years ago was when i stepped foot on this campus. 25 years ago, by the way, this is a parking lot. next i was the coolest thing i ever discovered. back in our day we used to have to buy our music. all of my student at the launch of the porsche loaded now bankruptcy tower records back then. but i came here because i was hoping or experience as i hope to have washington experience to and i think gw does it better than any other school in this city. it's the only school in the heart of the city. you feel it with the political community in a way that you don't get at the school that is not on the master of somewhere, somewhere in a river down by the street. there is a school near our offices in the late incher lancet d.c. there is nothing like gw.
9:09 am
[applause] all of my first jobs just her being right here at gw. so paul, i will start with you. it is your party. what is going on? [laughter] i am sure you get this call all the time from friends, family members go in what is going on? >> it is changing and we used to have those goalposts and the candidates who kicked the ball through the goalposts. there aren't any goalposts anymore. whoever thought you could insult people, switch positions, and could be a flip flopper and you could do anything you wanted to and he would rise in the polls. so we see donald trump rake in all the rules. so the question for the new
9:10 am
question is how can you get away with that and we welcome you here by the way. the answer as to why you can break the rules is he is doing something different and we collect agenda setting. he is telling the public qaeda made the decision about the presidency. he is not saying experience or anything like that. he is saying they cannot somebody who can negotiate better for this country and he is changing how we use the presidency and historically when you change how a voting group looks at the candidate, it can change the election outcome. so it doesn't look like it is scientific, but it works the same way and he is changing the agenda of how we pick a president. will he make it?
9:11 am
we don't know. but know. that is know. but he soon became pretty strong. >> you are one of those general republicans that the 80s, is this your republican party? what do you say? is this your republican party? >> i must be nonpartisan. some of the freshmen who are here i got opportunity to speak to last sunday night. when you say what is going on, i think no one has done a better job of trying to describe what is going on in both political parties. not just the republican party primary. was paid he knew named in her a couple weeks ago when she said when has the establishment given us over the last 20 years and she ticked off sex scandals, financial scandals, two on one wars, economic collapse,
9:12 am
recovery, not even pretending anymore to control their own borders. a bunch of things that are just frustrated so many americans have a republican democrat or independent that they are voting with regard to polling as an indication of frustration at in-your-face republicans come interface democrats, in your face congressional politicians. that is why trump, dr. carson promote courtesy arena came on the democratic side, why sanders has moved as strongly as he has. the american people are unhappy with the whole system. i don't think it's the republican party and as you know, the american people have lost a lot of trust and confidence in banks, and some churches. it is an unhappy time in our country so i think this is what we see a reflection of how long
9:13 am
this will continue as the real question. >> you were an early poster with a candidate named barack obama. i talked to plenty of barack obama people. they are not going to connect it. one of the reasons he got elected with the public was frustrated with washington and they wanted to shake things up. it's why in the first election he got a lot of independents and republicans. is it 10 years of frustration as they are and it is now borne out even more so? >> i think a couple things. one is being frustrated watching although you can make the argument that the level of frustration is certainly high. i will go in a slightly different direction and go above a bit further. i think there always fascinated by the romanticism that so many of the law have about the american voter.
9:14 am
if you look at where we are in american culture right now, what is plaguing our culture right now, our culture is being eaten by reality television and those people who are driving that reality television he does send those reality television said the same people who are making the kardashians rich beyond belief. so i actually love from a political student standpoint what donald trump is doing because he is truly doing something amazing. he is taking all those tax dates dates -- tactics. he has taken all those tactics that have worked well for had in reality television. and guess what, they are also working really well in politics.
9:15 am
one of the interesting things i saw from caucus goers in iowa, only 41% of caucus goers want a candidate who is specific on the policies. so let's not even a stake in about what is going on in america both culturally and how it is now going on in our politics. i hear pundit after pundit say donald trump wasn't going to last and after this thing in this thing he would drop and he just keeps going up in the polls. students of politics and communication think about how this is going to impact the elections not just this year, that your sitcom. if this is the trajectory, i can argue it is a horrible trajectory. a decade ago our parents would have argued they have been
9:16 am
horrible. but if this is the trajectory of politics, i thought obama was good in social media. he is striving most of the conversation. think about your tools and the skills you will need to win in these campaigns and to win and broadcast as well. i think he is changing the way politics is played. for the good. >> he actually never send his own tweets. he phones them in. he has people who do this. i want you to pour the cold water in september 2nd, the same point in time. >> september of 1991, bill
9:17 am
clinton hadn't even announced yet. september 1995, lamar alexander was the flavor at that moment. 1999 was appointed time we were talking about steve forbes and all of the money he was bringing to the race. 2003 was a guy named howard dean. anyway, you get my point. are we over analyzing trump and sanders? >> will let me start with trump and then we will move to sanders. for trump, there is something he is doing. i agree with what everybody said that it's different. it's not just that he's able to set the agenda by playing by different set of rules. it is fascinating to watch the other candidates around him. it's like watching little kids on a playground in the kit comes in and starts doing something differently and winning. kate ball, whenever and all the
9:18 am
kids that have been playing for a long time say it's not fair, you are not playing by the rules. we had rules and you are not playing on. >> it was july. jeb bush said that in july. so he has been a master of that. there's also something i've never seen before and people like me that he had a feeling he can't get any further. i don't remember, maybe you guys do come a time when a candidate has a 75% disapproval rating among people in his own party, were 66% of people in his own party said i would not ever vote for you. that guy is pretty much done. everybody knows they and they don't like him. a month later, two months later
9:19 am
an iowa, those numbers literally flip to go from 2367 of proof, disapprove 6327. that is not supposed to happen. there is something unique about him. the question on my mind is how long does this last? is this something where it's been fun, interesting to watch, great reality show, but at the end of the day, voters are going to learn a little bit more about donald shot. he's a master at being anything anybody wants them to be. his support is very broad if not just angry tea party people. not saying that's. so we've done incredibly well. so that becomes the question of once the race gets engaged, there is not than 1 dollar spent
9:20 am
on the race. there's a little money in new hampshire and iowa, but there's 200, 300 over $400 million up will be the fascinating part in the campaign which has to change the world so much that the rules we are used to playing by, the ad and the opposition research, are they going to work or will they find out he is impervious because the rules changed so much? very quickly about sanders, i agree he's making the movement based on the factors and anger he is tapping into. the republican base and democratic base are night and day. the republican base is incredibly divided. they are very upset with what they see within their own party. they are divided on issues, divided on policy.
9:21 am
there is no cohesion there. the democratic side is basically united on every one of the major issues. for an policy is still a place where they will divide. but not on much else. they are uniformly happy or like hillary clinton. all of this attention to his e-mail server in the high 80s the issue does better across the board than bernie sanders. [inaudible] >> we are dividing the republicans both among 17 candidates. there's a reason why it is spread out. that's what the democrats have right now. the former governor of maryland and jim webb -- >> see if you can do it.
9:22 am
>> that's what i could remember his name. it used to be republican. >> they should have an opening there for an anti-hillary because she is that strong. >> but may move to the media. the truth of the matter is hillary is a strong candidate. i always cringe a little bit when i hear people say there is no movement and august have not. same thing in 2007 and is a white guy with the muslim name came out of nowhere and caught fire. if i was hillary, and i'm not working for anyone this time around, thank god. i would be very anxious about this and i think they are
9:23 am
because the democratic primary voters are. you know this. how often is that the person who has established front-runner for the democratic primary actually ends up being the nominee. it doesn't happen often. democrats don't like ordination. >> al gore did become the nominee. walter mondale did become the nominee. hillary clinton was the first one. hillary clinton is the first woman in a generation to not survive. >> i think that's a little different. in the end it is good for democrats. republicans have -- if you think we actually have a can test it hard for a primary where you have to go to each state for every vote. it helps the nominee. barack obama was a much better presidential candidate and i
9:24 am
think it helps energize the base and the republican base. i love primaries on both sides. >> should we sign you up right now or do you want to wait until they announce an encore bear this week? >> limit transition a little bit to media in this respect. first let me do the basic question, which is his trump phenomenon, how much is the media and how much of it is trump's ability to just understand the media. you're making that argument that it's the media. i make the argument is bad of an interest and a candidates ever gotten. it only helps them. then it's not as if we've done all of these. they show you how many times he changes position. not that says the media has fed
9:25 am
it. that's one of the things people have no-space. all that has been done and made it more powerful. let me start with you. is that donald trump's understanding of the media better than any modern candidate we've seen where does the media play a role in the rise of trump? >> i think it is both. his experience on television, he's very experienced reality shows, et cetera. he knows how to come up with not a lot of speech. it's usually one sentence on a particular subject and it gets to something the american people are concerned about. the media love it. the 24 hours a day, seven days a week and i actually thought it was funny as well.
9:26 am
>> paul. i think he is treating media a salt shaker. he just empties you out and shakes you all over the place. we've never seen it before, there is a novelty thing. it has been powerful. >> we spent most of the time right here talking about voting. >> we have yet to really get into trump is sort of past policy or who he is. >> he's insisting on one thing which is not a republican issue. if the one thing he's been consistent for 35 years of public utterances complaining about japan in the 80s eating our lunch. it is the one consistent thing.
9:27 am
it's not even republican parties. he breaks so many rules. if you remember there was an ad that john perry -- we have had on a sailboat, he would go back and forth. i brought it, but the point is that showed how many times he flip-flopped. a very common attack. it always works and it doesn't now. >> we still have to go back to it's not working among republican primary voters and i think it would work, not the flip-flopping, but what he's done in terms of issues he's brought up, the controversies he busts his head and. if you're talking about hispanic voters, latino voters, it is paid. >> the warchest has a candidate. we have it started laying that
9:28 am
out. i think they are going to focus. >> the manipulation of the understanding of the new medium. it's interesting how they take out. people who are just starting to understand the late 70s. i've got something to say. and lo and behold he's a 35% in the poll. you can argue barack obama was the first to understand social media 1.0. other candidates learn from it at the time. they started doing arsenio after. he started doing that stuff
9:29 am
after so my question is when are the other candidates -- is there something to learn from trump success is what i think there is. paul? >> they are attacking him now with great regularity. if they don't play on his turf they are being ignored. the only way is to guam on to it. but i don't think it's going to cut them down. >> what about -- cornell calmly talked about how effective he was on social media. he's john mccain on steroids. john mccain 1999 was on the record all the time. the clinton people if they call and complain you are taking photos of an. he's on the record all the time. should the other politicians learn from this? >> my initial point was like the train for sort of tacked week
9:30 am
now, which does say there is no capacity without publicity. he's outrageous and gets on the cover. .. but you see the ted cruz's and the scott walker's and they are beginning to sort of align with others and go further out there on some of these issues. you have all of these republicans talking about building a big wall. okay. great. but they are following the line. there is something to be said and i think this generation is going to be working. there is something going on and again that pop culture america that is in love with reality television those tactics are working in politics.
9:31 am
i don't think you can ignore and you will have to master it. i think if you will be successful you will master what trump is doing. i just think you are going to. >> i don't think -- the secret to donald is annoying. he is always flamboyant. what you see now is what i would say with donald in business and so forth. he has the personality. i don't know i haven't talked to him since he started running for president of i will run for president, if i don't make it i will have a new reality show. i am not sure he gets up in the morning saying i want to be pre president of the united states. the other candidates, both parties, they really want to be president. maybe donald is looking at the numbers and saying maybe i can be president and you know take
9:32 am
it further but i think that is the difference. he has the personality if he goes up the to microphone he is good. >> this is where campaigns truing l -- struggleal because you have to understand strengths and wea weakness. some are great on camera and some are terrible on camera and you have other people talk for them. not everybody can do that and people that don't do it well it is obvious when they fall on their face. ultimately, though, i think the issue that frank brought up is it is about authenticity. bernie sanders has that gray hair and he is surrounded by 20-something and you would think
9:33 am
he would have a older audience given his age cohuert. but he is the real deal. >> i talked to people that are trump supporters. some are there to send the collective middle finger to washington. they know what he is and they don't care. he is what frank said he is flamboyant. let's try to play out the scenario. five months until caucus day. i am not asking you to say who is going dto be the nominee and we will open it up to you. one microphone here and one in the center. line up and we will do rapid fire and i am hoping everybody has a question. i will do little questions for everybody here before we go to you guys. paul, who are the plaus
9:34 am
paul, who are the plausible nominees now as of this date? most likely that will be the most likely republican nominee's? how do you see this shake out? does trump make it to march 1? >> i think he does. i think i can prove it. i've brought the statistics from four years ago and i inserted trumps number and just real quick you can see that there's 25% in new hampshire, in ohio, and florida. it puts him in the game right away. that may be an unfair way to look at it. he's and again. he will have delegates and he will have momentum, but you got some other great candidates out there. you have case it. you have jeb bush with a ton of money. job carly who was kind of exciting people. it's not over by any means but he's going to be and again. >> those are your plausible
9:35 am
nominees? possible nominee at this point in time spent with carly being the outlier of that group but i think you got to watch kasich and jeb bush because he's got a ton of dough but he hasn't been able to make it work. >> frank, anyone you want to add to the list speak with this is to wait out. my positions -- i think what you see is donald will be there. i agree with you on that but i think what's going to affected more than anything else is who starts falling off on the bottom. when the money is not there, the rumors are governor perry, his death has not been paid and so forth. you will start losing people at the bottom. interesting thing to watch is where the support is going to go. but with regard to march 1, i agree, i think donald will be there. >> let me ask you this. cleveland, will we have a
9:36 am
nominee by the time of the cleveland convention? paul on the republican side. >> by the time we get to convention -- >> it is hypothetically possible speed what are you, 10%, 20% of? >> you mean -- spent something with a nominee doesn't have enough delegates. delegates. >> i think you could clearly get that way. the middle part of the republican process has proportionately, not winner-take-all. that means if i get 30% of the vote i get 30% of the delegates. multiple people can when. if there's enough it can play out. a lot of the statistical pundits don't think that will happen but i still think there's a chance. >> frank, what are your interests because i was in the 1976 convention where we had that, and i should say --
9:37 am
[inaudible] just passed away. he was the selection, he would've and the vice president and dick was a great guy. but i don't think i think we'll know. i think will have a nominee. >> cornell, let me ask you a jeb bush on the democratic side. gave me the size of a political earthquake if hillary clinton loses iowa and/or new hampshire to bernie sanders? i don't know if they understand the size of the earthquake on potentially if they lost one of those who do. >> i'm going to answer and i do something that was brought up earlier. if she loses iowa and new hampshire it sort of puts a lot of wind behind standard but this becomes problematic. iowa and msha are really big
9:38 am
deals and obama's win in 2008, the primary season was a big deal in iowa. then we lost in new hampshire but this is bernie's problem. after you get past the first couple of states and this is when obama put the nomination away. we went to south carolina and for a while there we were competing with hillary for minority vote big time. for a while she was ahead. it was only iowa, and they only iowa, a victory in iowa that people sources said he won iowa -- sorry, they would vote for you. that's complete bull. i think why people in iowa said he was okay. when south carolina had -- we
9:39 am
broke down the gates and it was a floodgate, which means hillary wasn't competing with african-american vote. what happens when you can't compete with african-american voters an in the democratic primary? you can't when south carolina. you can when louisiana. you can't win georgia or virginia. u-boat to the heart of the south and where we ran, the truth of the matter was we ran the clock through the south the nomination was basically over. >> and that's exactly -- and bernie sanders candidate. >> go back to, what is this level of panic if he does lose one of those to? does it suddenly, desantis get -- >> i'm going to get thank you so much trouble but i think if she loses -- if she loses new hampshire and iowa to don't think she will do i think you
9:40 am
will see, i think it's going to be a strong case for biden to get in the race. >> that will be what happened speak was i think you have people pushing biden in the race. >> you get to do both. tony howell does this plays itself out and does and in cleveland or not? >> the only person i would add, i would put ruby of in that category. i think is that kenneth has been under the radar right now but it's when the two candidates who has been very well-liked and well liked among a broad coalition of republican voters. is getting out there presenting itself as a think he unlike many of the other candidates he is a very good both retail and strong on camera and natural candidate. i think i would add to that. for as much as you would love a brokered convention, never
9:41 am
happens but you can always dream. but we will see. what was the other thing? iowa and new hampshire? i'd like that very about the call for biden to coming to that sounds like a lot of fun but i agree. if you look at the next, the primaries, all southern states, i would be very concerned if i was hillary campaign is when you start to see numbers among african-americans and latinos and hillary start to draw. losing white liberal men, not as much as a problem for her as losing -- right. they are in new hampshire and iowa. >> i find it, the only candidate i was to india but you guys have mentioned, ted cruz. effect i would be buying stock in ted cruz winning iowa right now over and above everybody else still i would be buying
9:42 am
stock in drug but if i were a republican. >> that's what a lot of democrats say. [laughter] >> that's the case we don't get the nomination let's go to some questions. told us where you are from originally. >> item from cape cod, massachusetts, and want to thank all of you for being here tonight with us. actually makes media class exciting. >> one day. >> i'll ask the question to the panel through you. we are looking down the road and we are outline how everything is going to come together and we've alluded to the warchest. i just want to ask, do we think the warchest is going to be as effective as it has been to a candidate like donald trump his personality seems to be so big that it could deflect all the power and that money negatively
9:43 am
to whoever is dishing it out? and then also how is equity change the playing field with him was trying to rise to the top, like a marco rubio? >> in a two-person race money matters a lot. money becomes less effective in a multi-candidate race. i think to use all the money to destroy kasich in rubio, the biggest threats to get the nomination. i am of this there that money matters less today than it did four years ago. where are you guys on that? >> a new one point in this campaign is a super pacs for each of these candidates have a big stash of money which they can't control. somebody else is spending it on their behalf. so that's a new little wild card is it's not the candidate. it's a candidates friend who is running the super pac spirit double down on, it's amazing
9:44 am
thing that's going on right now where most of bush's money isn't his campaign. it's in a super pac. not be controlled by the campaign. once upon a time in this country you as a campaign he wanted to control the message. we were very, very disciplined about that in the obama campaign. we didn't anyone defining a message, telling our story. now truth of the matter is you can have people who are not connected to the campaign, not connected to the campaign, defining a large swath of angela braly, and again i'm going to go, not as a democrat but just as an american. you have millionaires sitting out there, one in particular in the desert, and then they can define terms of the debate in a way that ordinary people don't. i'm a consultant. i benefit from lots of money being in the process but i'll be doggone if i think just as a
9:45 am
regular american you all benefit from all this money in the process. >> i differ a little bit. it depends where the money is being spent and on what. when i was chairman of the party and was involved in both one of reagan's racist and george herbert walker bush is races, the blocking and tackling was going out and identifying people who are your voters breaking sugar rich devote and taken to the polls. -- races. president obama and his campaign used this to do it. use this to do, the social media. if that money that is out of with a super pacs and i agree, there's oh so much into one television. most people don't people watch television. when you do your watching it on your computer or your ipad or some other vehicle. so if that money is being used for the blocking and tackling, in other words, to identify your support make sure you can get into the polls come it can be very, very effective.
9:46 am
>> but as a party man is a problematic that now, as a party man is a problematic, once upon a time the parties would do, now -- >> i've said for a long time the worst piece of legislation i've seen was feingold because it destroyed the true broadest-based organizations in this country, the republican party and the democratic party where you have a left, right and center in both parties. the limitations to being able to spend our money on things, it really destroyed and changed the makeup of the parties. >> let me type this. john mccain and john kerry both did something that had not been done before which is the with the two candidates that didn't spend the most money on the nomination fight, eventually they did but they want without spending the most money. how likely are we going to see that this time speak with the
9:47 am
super pacs enough to have much more money than the candidate to. look at the time to reserve an amateur in iowa, something like 65, 70% comes on super pacs. to add on to this, beyond the fact they are controlling a message outside of the campaign but they can't control the candidate. fundamentally you can have all the money in the world but if you're a candidate is not good, then it don't matter how much money you. scott walker is a good example of this right now. if you're the scott walker super pac, you watch chuck's show this weekend is have a bit of trouble, staying on message. there's not a darn thing they can do to make up for that deficit. >> i promise when i could get five minutes for questions. anyway, thank you. but you did it on a topic we hadn't hit on. >> right now i'm reading you to watch the making of a president, 1968, and what's shocking is a
9:48 am
1960s seems to look a lot -- seems to look a lot like today. we sink race riots industry, and ongoing war on terror. pop country with a lot prosperity but no mobility for lower and new income americans. in addition to that we see establishment politics which is the laughingstock of the country. so aside from the horse race, what is the outcome of 2016? i'm with you on this. bernie sanders is eugene mccarthy. we could sit here. donald trump is george wallace. [laughter] no. that's not meant to be a laugh. but just having icky nativism. we've had nativism before eric frank, not to go to you first because you have gray hair, not, 68, how much -- >> people have come up to me and asked the question and i admit that bernie sanders very much like eugene mccarthy. remember, he lost that year.
9:49 am
president johnson won new hampshire but the effect of running that race and debate and so forth out lyndon johnson to step down and said he would not run for reelection. i think your question is marked. that's what i'm talking about. i think what peggy noonan was eating it. look at the last 20 years, but happy political parties give the american people? not very much after just fed up. >> one point because i asked the question of peter hart who is a pollster. he says 68 was about anger. this race feels much more about anxiety and there's a difference. when you're angry, there's a lot of anger there, but the overall impression that he's getting come and i see this in focus groups, but is the sense frustrations from over 15 minutes for someone to delay
9:50 am
that fear rather than to build up without fear. >> cornell, what about the social -- the election of 1968. -- [applause] speak while she catches her breath, cornell, address the social unrest. >> by the way i wasn't alive in 68, just for reference. the social unrest is really interesting because i make him the black lives matter for instance, which i think is something that the progressives are going to have to take very seriously. as well as republicans as well because you have a cohort of social media savvy, smart young people who are using come using a social media vehicle in a way that i wouldn't imagine 10 years
9:51 am
ago because it is can using a vehicle for the new civil rights movement and for organizing. they're saying all lies matter but you're going to sit black lives matter because we're not going to our issues mixed in, washed away. if you in fact can specifically talk about gender specific issue to you can specifically talk about hispanic immigration issues. you can sure talk about gay and lesbian issues. dammit, you're going to talk specifically about african-american issues. there's a militant to this that when barack obama steps offstage is going to bubble envelope i think in ways that has been held back because barack obama has been on the stage and it's going to be really interesting. they're talking about their independence. it will be really interesting with a large, by the way, barack obama want to majority elections.
9:52 am
you've got to go along ways to find a democrat who was won back to back majority elections. that part is an important part of the coalition for progressives. increasingly independent. democrats are going to struggle mightily with this militant and this revolt that's going on, by minority voters. if bernie sanders begins to answer that better than hillary, there's a crack. >> this is a good way to join together to collect her thoughts at the question was sort of how much is this like 68? interesting comparison, the tumult, anchor, anxiety, all of the. >> it's an interesting comparison. i think were all affect populist moment in american politics. i don't think it is as kind of convulsive as the 68. you had tremendous numbers of americans, young men dying in a
9:53 am
foreign war. we don't have that. i do think we're in a populist moment in american politics which means it's a little and unpredictable. it's why we have donald trump, to lesser extent bernie sanders. and that's the classic kind of combination of every populist movement would ever seen in american politics that combines those two things. some kind of nativism and economic populist against the banks are wall street. whatever it is they've always had those two things. i think one of the questions for me is just like out of 68 may permit changes in american politics, what's going to get his populist moments legacy when we put other populist candidate, they didn't win but to let a
9:54 am
private contribution to american politics. george wallace helped create the modern republican party and republican senator ross perot put the deficit on the net. bill clinton balanced the budget probably because of them. what is donald trump legacy going to be close i easy going o turn the republican party in 20 nativism party? or what its public jeb bush get up on its hind legs and really vanquished tropism and change finish of the party? i think that's unlikely. in with those are the things i'm thinking about. >> i promise will get more lightning round if we taken 10 minutes for two questions. >> i am from chicago. my question is, is there a specific policy issues that will affect the election? >> policy? [laughter] >> that's crazy. >> that's nuts. let's go to our to practicing political consultants on that
9:55 am
one. >> i would say it rarely is there. we see niche issues that play a role, the right to life issue is a motivator. we see tax policy being talked about but it's more personality now. >> to make this quick, i agree. >> what would be the most debated issue in the fall campaign? >> middle-class incomes. and that's a real issue and that's really important. >> emigration. >> i don't know if it gets in the fall, but i hear you. let's get to the next question. >> i actually had a question about what you got started from. donald trump and republican debates is something that been cut, which may be the most interesting things said that he said it's a broken system.
9:56 am
he said in response to being asked about how he dealt with bankruptcy in his own company. he talked about not use cookies that i've used a lot of it on the bench and he said it's a broken system. so far he's the only republican aside from bernie sanders the only candidate is mentioned the idea of a broken system. you all mentioned the idea of reality television campaigning. is the unwillingness was independent of the republican party candidates to mimic donald trump's tactics inability to understand social media campaigning for is an unwillingness to abuse the system and in doing so acknowledge it as a broken? >> that's fantastic question ad it's funny because if you look at the fields, paper they all look like they're people run against the system. marco rubio, ted cruz, rand paul
9:57 am
all came up as tea party candidates who ran against the establishment. they were going to do things different. ted cruz is going to take a to washington and he still talks about doing that currently. you have governors that are part of washington. that was the message, scott walker everybody says you can't get what you can do to because i don't listen to the people in washington. the system is broken. cannot have people standing up and saying yes, status quo, yes, establishment. i can't wait to work within the system. they all ran saying, that's what i read a different kind of campaign. >> i get the particular finance system. >> you mean -- >> or do you mean wall street speak with both but mostly the campaign. >> she's right. you hear donald trump talk about the corrupting nature of the nation's. >> it takes one to know one.
9:58 am
>> if you go to a bernie sanders rockets a huge part of his stump speech, right, try for? >> the most important interesting theme to come, the worst nightmares. there he sang i am beholden to no one. money is corrupting. jeb bush raise hundreds of millions of dollars. he's beholden to all those hedge fund guys who gave him money. but i'll asked me for money. i got favors for it. that is one of the of adjectives of a classic populist. they are against the system and they seem to the keys to because is a billionaire. it doesn't take any money. he says i was offered money but i'm not going to take any money from anybody. is likely to make the campaign finance system is issues like bernie sanders is but he says america used to be great, it's not in the toilet and i'm going to fix it, make a great again.
9:59 am
>> have had a successful presidential can who didn't run against a broken washing? >> i don't member anyone. >> they all -- >> hillary clinton is running against washington and the system. >> we talked about politics isn't working, politics is broken. we tied that to hillary as part of that, and what they put on top of the pyramid messaging was her experience in the way we flipped it, we flip it upside down. politics has been broken for a long time and you are right, you've got to run against the broken politics. >> i'm from massachusetts and my question is about joe biden. if he does decide to get into the race what kind of effect do you think you'll have on the democratic side? you think has a real chance of winning with hillary having such a broad base of support right
10:00 am
to? >> does anybody give joe biden a shot against hillary clinton? >> yes. >> make your case. >> real quickly, the joe biden from eight years ago as to exactly the same joe biden but i think there's something to be said about his eight years second such special in the democratic primaries. i think it's gained a lot of that and i will say this. if, in fact, he can make a case that he is more authentically the inheritors of the obama court to large swath of the coalition than hillary, there is some there there. but you know, she still finds -- don't count him out. >> your poll that i can will be in tomorrow

15 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on