Skip to main content

tv   Book Discussion on Take a Stand  CSPAN  April 9, 2016 10:30am-12:01pm EDT

10:30 am
somewhat below the conflicts thelgs and say what may be causing us to have all of these conflicts. the reality is i hope we move to school choice and we are moving to school choice to some extent and that means private schools because charter schools understand or o public schools so they're still bound by all of the this. but while we've made great progress nowhere near to those going to public schools so these are real issues that will have to be dealt with until we can preach the ideal where everybody is going what i think is ideal to a private school because then you and the educator essentially agree on what rules are going to be and that's the best way to balance lots of competing goods. one where people just put different values on different things. but also where some things can't cos exist together. so you can't have a school that's both nonreligious and a
10:31 am
teaches say religious doctrine which a lot of people want. but in terms of a public property issue never framed it that way. >> when professor ross and i met in jan while she was on a panel here at one point she said to me, you know outside the first amendment i disagree with with thins that katoa advocates. now, of course, i was perplexed because having all of the answers i'm always perplexed when people disagree with me. but there's a point here that is important. we don't disagree about the first amendment, the importance of the first amendment despite the fact that we disagree about many policy issues, and, in fact, at a time i think that's an a important thing to remember an a context look this at a time when there's lots of polarization and a lots of partisanship and lots of singly conflicts, important that people across parties in across
10:32 am
ideologies remain committed and unified to a strong first amendment protection and i think this book lessons and censorships how schools and courts divert students furs amendment rights an important contribution to building that kind of unity and to making us appreciate the importance of the first amendment. i'd like to thank professor ross for coming today. for coming town on a difficult day to be with us here and my colleague neil mccluskey for appearing on the panel. most of all, on a rough day -- must really care about the first amendment to come out today and i appreciate each one of you coming let's go have lunch and talk more about this. but lunch will be held on the second level of the george yeager conference center which is up this spiral staircase in front of the building. restrooms on the second floor on your way to lunch. look for the yellow wall, and you can purchase your copy of lesson and censorship up there.
10:33 am
thanks very much. [applause] [inaudible] >> and this weekend on booktv, we are live from the annual los angeles times festival of books with author panels on history, infrastructure, politics, and more. plus, your calls for the likes of authors ariana had you everring ton. rezzland and dennis and jaycee recalls path from college athlete to public office. also, this weekend a look back
10:34 am
at the volcanic eruption of mount st. helens and panel of authors argue that welfare of the or poor and look how title 7 of the civil rights act affected working women. for a complete television schedule, go to booktv.org booktv 48 hours of nonfiction books and authors, television for serious readers. [silence] >> tonight we're thrilled to welcome award-winning news anchor jorge ramos fresh off heels of the democratic debate with no barred approach exhibited in his role as lead news ang or cor since 1986. [applause] more than two million people tune in daily to his nightly newscast.
10:35 am
jorge host the weekly public affair program as well as america with ramos on fusion and writes weekly column districted by "the new york times." take a stand lesson from rebels, a retro perspective jorge has kungted during his 30 years as a journalist. with everyone from president obama to fidel castro. those u interviews taught jorge about himself and world we lyft in. and in revisiting lessons in the book he offers readers a uniquely informed lens for critical key issues affecting the world today. the timeliness of this book cannot be overstated. ramos also shines light on concerns that influence hispanics, largest minority in america. a mexico city native in author of ten books jorge is instrumental in providing literacy among latino and powerful and public voice for immigrants rights. i'm the oner of dj and dupont circle we employ a number of
10:36 am
first generation immigrants and i seen first hands how this group trust jorge as their voicebox and guide in the new america. jorge has won eight emmy awards for complents in journalism and "time" hundred most influential list and mog influential hispanic in america. as a friend of jorge's daughter i can say he's an awesome father. please join me in becoming jorge ramos. [applause] >> obviously, i know him. [laughter] otherwise we wouldn't be talking like that. thank you all so much. thank you all for being here. [inaudible] okay. so -- we'll do to in english and then a little bit of spanglish and
10:37 am
then spanish. and we'll be together for the next hour so let's take advantage of that. i really hate long speeches. because i'm not running for anything even though some people might think i am. and the idea is that speak for humanist and then we have two microphones here and i would love to hear your comments. many of the things i do i'm sure you don't like, and i'm fine with that. so let's have a conversation buzz right now is fantastic the fact that we're in the middle of a very intense campaign. and let me tell you where i come from. i come from a country in which when i was your age. when i was 20, 21, 22 there was no simply no democracy. i come from a country in which in the last ten years 80 journalists have been killed. obviously, i'm talking about mexico, and look what's happening here. we can come here and i can
10:38 am
criticize the president of the united states. i can criticize your friend donald trump. i can criticize hillary clinton, bernie sanders, and cruz about marco rube owe and nothing absolutely nothing it happens. in other words that's the beauty of democracy in this country and we take it for granted. i go home, and go to the supermarket. i take a walk, i play tennis. go for a jog and nothing absolutely nothing whats because that's the way democracy works here, and it's beautiful. i still remember -- the last time when i talked to president obama. we had a disagreement on deportation iftion telling hill that he should have not deported immigrants, and he didn't agree with me. you know what happens afterwards? nothing, isn't that beautiful? the most powerful man on earth
10:39 am
didn't agree with me and i went home and nothing happened. imagine what would have happened in mexico -- or o in brazil or many other countries and that's precisely the thing that i am intritting. and let me start by asking you to take a look at me because i'm a dinosaur. i'm a dinosaur. yeah. [laughter] and i'm making a huge effort trying not to be a dinosaur. but i'm a dinosaur. because what i've been asking from you for the last 30 years in the reason why i'm publishing this book right now is i'm going to be -- going to be any 30th anniversary of news -- it is one of these, each one has a name. [laughter] so maybe like fight trump over
10:40 am
here. [laughter] but -- what's really interesting is that i've been asking from you to watch the newscast every single days at 6:30 p.m. if you tune in at 6:29 you cannot see me. if you tune in at 7:01 i'm not there. so i'm a dinosaur because that had kind of appointment, tv that requirement i've been asking from each of you and millions of people is no longer valid, and in everything is changing because there's some migration of ice from tv and c-span is here and thank you c-span for having an interest in what we're doing right now. honestly because it's important. but there's a migration of ice from tv to cell phones, an maybe
10:41 am
i should have asked for your permission but you're on facebook live right now. you want to help me here? [cheering] so you're on facebook live. [laughter] all right, and let me tell you what's happening. the thing is that -- in the last super tuesday, for instance, we were broadcasting on univision and fusion on english and decided to broadcast on facebook live, and guess what millions of people, millions of people decided to watch what we were doing on facebook own a cell phone and not on tv. and many of you know exactly what had i'm talking about. i'm doing a weekly show on fusion -- and half the people who are watching what we do don't even own a tv. in other words, about i am producing a tv show for people
10:42 am
who don't own a tv. and that's amazing. now, if you're starting journalism or communication let me tell you something. we don't know how to make money out of that. because -- through us on tv it's a different idea but how do you make money if you decide to broadcast through social media? through the cell phones? that's completely different. now, that doesn't mean that it's not a great time to be a journalist because i think right now is the best time to be a journalist. when you have millions of information. tid bits of information on that internet. then what's the value of being a journalist? well i think it's important. i think that value of being a journalist besides on your credibility, if what i say every night, if you don't believe what i say, my job as a journalist really makes absolutely, absolutely no sense. so that's one of the revolutions
10:43 am
that i wanted to talk with you tonight o. that's this technological revolution in which migrating to your cell phones and that's where news will be. throughout every single morning i wake up and i check on social media not on "the new york times" but i read it every morning. "the washington post," [inaudible] miami harold. a few newspapers, i love to touch the paper, but many of you really are saying, what are you talking about? no. that's where you're a dinosaur i'm sure that's what you're are thinking. i still love to do that. but the fact is if there's a breaking news -- if there's an earthquake in china or gunfire in los angeles, or a candidate says something interesting in chicago or ohio, or orlando. right now i cannot compete. i cannot compete with facebook. i can compete with twitter. i cannot compete with snapchat or instagramp. i'm not there.
10:44 am
so as a reporter instead of rejecting that as many reporters have been doing, we just have to embrace that new technology. so that's the first revolution i wanted to tell you about. the second revolution has to do with what i call laul latina. when i first arrived in the united states there were 15 million latino. right now, there are 55, and in 2055, 2055 would be a good year because i would turn 97 if i'm here. [laughter] but many of you will be here. and in 2055, i'll be there, right? in 2055 look what's going to happen in 2055 this is based on pugh research numbers. the white population in this country, the white nonhispanic population in this country will become another minority. think about it.
10:45 am
so these will become a country of minorities. think about it. how all -- what that means. it means that what i'm living right now in miami or 17% latino or when you go to -- a hospital to see the babies in los angeles, or or when you go to a school in houston or chicago had, precisely the future we are in a multicultural. multiethnic krkt, country and that's what we're seeing a revolution that i am celebrating. but not everyone is intritting. celebrating. many people are scared and not embracing these change and that's precisely what i think we are seeing with donald trump in some of his followers. now, we'll talk a little bit
10:46 am
about donald trump. everybody is talking about donald trump, right he's changing honestly the dynamic of this campaign. but i thtnk that he has a view of the the united states. when he says we're going to make america great. he wants to send us back to where we were -- and honestly to a place that many of us did not like. i mean we don't want to go back to racism and we don't want to go back to discrimination. and i think right now in this country, we are going in terms of latino demographic resolution we're going from big numbers to power for the first time. for the first tile we sense we're getting sense of what had it is to have power, and many of you are latinos here. how many of you speak spanish or latino? [cheering] we are just a few miles from the white house. and look how we are changing. what's going on this country,
10:47 am
and look i've said this many, many times. but these demographic revolution could be seen and felt everywhere. the music that we are listening to in this country -- it's full of algorithm, it is chiita -- [inaudible] there you go. let me give you a beautiful example. yatd i had the privilege of interviewing sonya sotomayor, she's fantastic and then think of sonia when she was a little girl she was diagnosed with diabetes. and very early on see learned how to administer insulin shots to survive. also very early sonia sotomayor one of the people that i interviewed for the book, she
10:48 am
learned that she had to live life to the fullest. so i wents to to the supreme cot to talk to her, and then we had a plan. because on tv, tv doesn't happen. tv -- has to be produced. it's not something that you take for graptd there's a lot of things behind television. and then we thoughts how about if at the end of the interview we put salsa music real loud to see what happens, and then we did the experiment with a supreme court justice. can can you imagine that? so we went to the supreme court justice, cue one producer brought salsa and then i finished the interview. i gave him the sign and then pow. salsa music in the supreme court. guess what happened with sonia sotomayor she stood up and told me, do you want to dance? [laughter] and we danced. and we danced. and the picture is here.
10:49 am
it's in the book. that's what i'm saying that we're reforming everything here in the united states. i've said also in the past more -- salsa has been sold in ketchup and more it is true, nick. yeah. or more or tortilla and bagels an hamburger buns and you're saying these man what is he saying that's true we're changing absolutely everything here in the united states. and then -- i don't know why i'm sengsing sensing that many of you are liberal here. [laughter] but think of this. for the first time in history, we have two latinos running for the white house. and even though the majority of latinos in this country vote for the democratic party, it's about
10:50 am
17% -- for the include party and 30% any changes. the reality is that the new normal for us, and it's that great. new normal for us is that two latinos could become i don't know what's going to happen after i show you that tomorrow. but i can say that today. two latinos could become the next president of the united states. think about it. no? isn't that -- just fantastic. we're talking about two immigrants. mario rubio and ted cruz but not only that, that donald trump is also a son of immigrants so for the first time, we have yeah. [laughter] it's true. losing my voice here. all the way from scotland and so he's the son of immigrants. and what is so interesting again for the first time we have the pbility that two latinos could become the next president of the
10:51 am
united states, and they're 44, 45. so if it doesn't it happen this year, might happen in 2020 or 2024. it doesn't matters. but the fact is that we have gone latino from big numbers to power. for the first time -- and that's a huge change. and i think it is incredibly important that we realize that that new power is here. and that we can talk about things that in the past we really had no chance to talk about. and therefore, when when we hava cant who says donald trump, that mexican immigrants are rapist and drug traffickers, i think there's a new power, and we can respond to that, and we respond to that. what's so interesting is that -- let me just put it in a question. where were all the candidates nine months ago, where was the
10:52 am
press nine months ago? where was that u.s. government in the mexican government nine months ago? when donald trump said that mexican immigrant were criminal and drug traffickers and rapists where were they? nowhere to be found. nowhere to be found, and then we responded. we latinos respond. we said no, you were absolutely wrong. what you're saying mr. trump is not right. and it is absolutely wrong. and we responded. we just didn't wait for another -- [inaudible] and didn't wait for the latino candidate and wait for hispanic congressman to respond. we responded and that was -- [inaudible] we responded. it was -- [inaudible] it was all you have our artist and each one of you on social media were saying what you are saying mr. trump is absolutely wrong. about that immigrants just see the studies are are not criminal nor rapist. he wantses to be 9000 mile wall
10:53 am
between mexico and united states good luck. because only 40% of immigrants undocumented immigrants come by plane or with a visa. so he wants a big wall. well, i mean, it's going to be a really big wall for that, no? and then he wants to change the constitution and the citizenship to the children who is undocumented. well he would have to change had the constitution for that. and in other words, he's absolutely wrong and i think we have the right to start changing the conversation and i think we are changing the confers. talking about latino power. let's suppose that he wants -- he's saying that he's going to win the hispanic volt and lead me tell you some news mr. trump. you're not going to win the hispanic vote. [applause] these are the numbers that i got from the univision washington
10:54 am
post that polled a few days ago. 8 % of latinos have a negative opinion of donald trump. 81%. so how would that -- what would that mean in terms of -- if you were to run against hillary clinton or bernie sanders? well, only 16% of latino16%. who are -- who is that 16%? but 16% of latinos would vote for donald trump against hillary clinton. or bernie sanders -- 16%. can he win the white house with 16%? no he can't because mitt romney got 7 pbts of the hispanic vote and he lost the election. john mccain got 31% of the hispanic vote and he lost the election. so with 16% of the hispanic vote, donald trump cannot win the white house. and that is where our power is precisely. we have 27 million latinos.
10:55 am
27 million latinos who are eligible to vote. unfortunately, not all of the latinos go to vote. but i think that donald trump is ing us because many latinos who are thonking -- i'm not going to vote they see donald trump say yes i'm going to vote. yeah. that's changing to 14 million going to the polls november the 8th with change and i'm complete convinced that no one, absolutely no one can make it to the white house without a hispanic votes and that's where our power resides saying no, no, let me put it in perpghtive saying that only 13 or 14 million hispanics go to polls. president obama won by less than 5 million votes so 13 million, 13 million votes could easily change the kftion. so that's my political speech.
10:56 am
let me tell youing the book and why it has connected. i think that after my encount we are donald trump. let me put it in perspective. when he said that mexican immigrants were rapist and criminals i did what every other journalist would have done i sent him a handwritten note and send it via fedex. and he published on the internet, my letter with my cell phone number on it. so i had to change my cell phone number. and then i said okay, all right that's good. [laughter] that's your response. so i was looking for donald trump for a few weeks, and i found that he was going to give a press conference in dubuque, iowa, not a lot of journalists will be there so i bought a ticket and i went to there and confront donald trump in a press
10:57 am
conference and i was not very successful. i was ejected the first time in 30 years which i've been ejected from a press conference for the first time. what is interesting is that i was ejected by one of his body guards. the only other time in which i've been -- prevented from asking a question with a body guard was with fidel castro i asked him about the lack of democracy in cuba. wow, 1991 and 2016 president obama is going next monday to cuba and nothing has changed right well that's another conversation. but the fact that i was prevented from asking a question by fidel castro body guard and i have an interview with fidel. i don't know if i can call it an interview it lasted 63 seconds before i was pushed -- by a body guard. but i think he left it longer
10:58 am
than my encounter with donald trump. i think he lasted only a few seconds. now pung it i think it is danges when a presidential candidate attacks minorities. because after he told me, trump told me go back to univision just a few seconds later, just a few succeeds later outside the press conference somebody told me get out of my country. he told me that. get out of my country. and then i around the i said i'm a u.s. citizen where do you want me to go? no -- but now that we are seeing confrontations and violence in trump's rallies, we know where that comes from precisely because i live that. i know, i think this discrimination and hatred is contagious a few seconds somebody told me -- somebody told me get out of my country, if that happened to me
10:59 am
on national television what would happen to many others? so i think what when it comes to and had goes directly to the essence of my book. take a stand. yet the photographer they thought that i should have standing up and that's one of the reasons why i decided to stand up when i was with donald trump because i thought that -- had i been sitting down he told me i don't know how many had tiles sit down, sit down no, no of course i'm not going to sit down. i think it's important because it's body language. if you have the same level if you're standing up, you're exactly the same level as the candidate or the member of congress or the president and it's -- completely different, and i think when it comes, when do you have to stand up? think about it. when -- when it is okay for you to stand up. to say no. i'm not going to do that. well, as a journalist, i think you have to take a stand because i've been asked how are you a
11:00 am
journalist or activist. i'm a journalist who asks questions, but these certain situations, you have to take a stand. when had it comes to -- [applause] yeah. ...
11:01 am
11:02 am
11:03 am
>> no. i mean, simply no. and in that word is the first thing you have to do to take a stand. maybe you don't know what's next, but you know what's right. and sometimes when you just say no, that's a first step. the idea behind the book not by any precedent or by any political leader, but by four dreamers. and these dreamers, six years ago they decided to do something incredibly crazy. many people thought it was not, it was crazy. they wanted to go walking all the way from miami to here, to washington d.c. they have no papers, they were
11:04 am
undocumented. and the first thing i thought and many people thought was they're going to be detained in orlando or before, they're going to get arrested, and they're going to be thrown out of the united states and sent to a country that they don't even recognize. and they didn't care. and they decided to go all the way to d.c. they came all the way to d.c. and they started changing the conversation because their parents before them, before the dreamers -- and i'm sure many of you are dreamers. yeah, good. you changed the conversation because your parents, they were hiding, and they thought that the best way to survive, that they had to sacrifice themselves. and they thought we rather don't move, let's live in the shadows. and if we don't make noise --
11:05 am
[speaking spanish] we're going to be better off. because back then it was incredibly dangerous for them to move. and they were investing their future for you, for many of you, for many of the dreamers. and these new generation of dreamers, they say, no. i don't want to live that way anymore. and they took the risk of walking all the way from miami to d.c. and they started changing the conversation. you remember when president barack obama said that he did not have the authority to change the law for executive action. he was not a king or an emperor. and then the dreamers slowly convinced the president that he did have the authority, and now we have to wait for the supreme court to make a ruling this summer. so the first lesson that i learned from the dreamers is that it doesn't matter what you do. the first step is to lose the fear. we all have fears. they had fears. but if you don't lose that fear
11:06 am
at the beginning, if you adopt become a rebel -- don't become a rebel, then nothing's going to change. and i think every single person that i included in the book from billionaires to prime ministers to rebels -- presidents to rebels to dreamers to dissidents, they started with recognizing that they were fearful that if they didn't take that step, nothing could have been achieved. and then let me just finish with a wonderful anecdote from desmond tutu. you know, he fought with nelson mandela to change south africa. and i just wish that i could have the energy and to laugh with such enthusiasm as desmond tutu. but he told me something beautiful, i asked him, what should we learn from you? what should we learn within the hispanic community from the struggle in south africa in and
11:07 am
he told me what you have to know is that it doesn't matter what happens, that at the end you're going to win. and that's just wonderful. that's just fantastic. the idea that at the end you're absolutely convinced that you're going to win. well, each one of the rebels that i include in the book but especially, especially the dreamers, they were convinced that at the end they were going to win. and i think that the idea behind the book i include in the last 30 years as a journalist, i interviewed more than 30 people that i include for the book, and i tried to draw a lesson from each one. i think that the most important lesson as a rebel, i learn it from my mother. she's 82. she's still working and, very dangerously, but she's still driving. [laughter]
11:08 am
but what i learned from her, and i fish with this and then we'll -- finish with this and then we'll have a conversation. what i learned from her is when she was growing up in mexico, and let me put it in perspective. we are five kids. i'm the oldest. and each year she had another one and another one and another one. five together, four boys and one girl. my father kept on trying, he was going to get -- he wanted a girl, and he was, it was back hen in mexico, that was the only way. but then my mother when she was growing up, she was -- think about it -- she was not allowed to go to high school. forget about college. she was not allowed to go to high school. and then when i was old enough to go to college, she had it. she said, that's it. i mean, what am i going to do? she was young, and she had a lot of energy, and she had been a wonderful mother for many years.
11:09 am
but she needed much more. and then there wases a major -- was a major fight in my house with my father x then she said i don't care what you want, i'm going to go to college. my father saw her and said, what are you talking? she said, i'm going to go to college. so my mom went to high school, and then she went to college with me. so just imagine -- [laughter] she went to college with me. [applause] and it's a true story. we went to university in mexico city, and i would see my mom in the corridors of the university going from classroom to classroom. [laughter] and she was the first rebel that i knew. my mother, who broke all the rules, who fought with my father, who challenged every rule just to go to college and do whatever she wants. and that was my rebel, my mom.
11:10 am
so that changed me. that changed the way i think about what's important and how just little actions, you know, little actions of rebelliousness can change a lot of things. and each one of you, of course, can change that. so that's my speech. and now let me just hear from you, okay? [applause] >> this is what i learned as a journalist. every question has to have, has to be a question, right? [laughter] so thank you. facebook, do you want to say good-bye to the facebook people? [applause] thank you. thank you so much for being here. you'll see, it's amazing what facebook is doing.
11:11 am
it's amazing. it's changing my industry. so can i go, i'm going to -- c-span, i'm going to go downstairs. okay. who wants to start? go ahead. >> [speaking spanish] i'm just going to give a quick little background, and then i'll ask my question. i am a journalism and a political science student at the university of maryland. i was undocking united for 15 year -- undocumented for 15 years, and i see the person that you are for our community, and you are one of the very few leaders, in my opinion, for latinos and for immigrants, and i appreciate that and want to thank you personally for that. you are a hero for me. >> you are a hero for me, because i learn from you. [applause] >> thank you. my question is, were you first jorge an activist, or were you first jorge a journalist? because we know that journalism is a profession in which you
11:12 am
advocate and talk about injustices, and i wanted to know about your personal view on that. so thank you. >> i -- neither one. i think first i was an immigrant, and that changed, that's changing my whole view. when i go to mexico, they say, oh, you're a gringo, go back to the united states. [laughter] right here in the united states, they told me go back to your country. so that's what happens when you're an immigrant. [speaking spanish] a great french historian used to say that the powerful and the rich never, never go into exile. i became an immigrant because i had to be an immigrant, no? i didn't want to be an immigrant. it would have been great to be in my house and stay home, but i couldn't. so before being an activist or before being a journalist, i'm an immigrant. and that changed my whole perspective. thank you. [applause] >> thank you, jorge.
11:13 am
my name is joe. i'm a journalist as well, and i'd like to ask if you weren't covering the electioning this year, what stories would you be chasing right now? >> in the united states? >> wherever. >> well, i would -- again, because of where i come from, i think the tragedy of the immigrants coming from syria and libya crossing, risking their lives in the mediterranean going to greece and italy, i think that's a story where i would love to be right now instead of covering the election here. that's where i would be. i think so. it's as important as what we are living in this country. and then i always think that today one of the best journalists in mexico is -- [applause] she's been off the air for one year today. and you know what happened in mexico? she denounced that the mexican
11:14 am
president -- and he's white -- [speaking spanish] that they bought a house, a $7 million house from a government contractor. can you imagine that? and then you would think, okay, so they're going to lose their job, right? or something's going to happen. the ones who lost their jobs were the journalists who denounced them. so i think if i had been in mexico, i would be unemployed, i guess. [laughter] or worse. think of the mexican journalists who have been killed. so thanks for the question. >> thank you. [applause] >> hola. my name is jest key leon -- jesse leon, i'm originally from san diego, and it's an honor to be here. my question for you is what do you think is the best solution to address the clandestine activities associated with the drug trade, especially those adversely affecting our youth like addiction, gang violence and even the sex trade?
11:15 am
and the reason i ask is the following: i'm not a journalist. when people see me be, i went to harvard, i went to the kennedy school, i went to uc berkeley undergrad, went to u-penn postgrad. i used to manage the foundation for jpmorgan chase out of miami, bank of america before that, and now i'm here with the u.s. government. and since i moved to d.c., my level of frustration of policies being created by and those that do not represent our community get really frustrating. so the question comes from a place of i'm a former cholo, covered in tattoos. at 11 years i was sexually abused. at 12 i became a sex worker in the sex trade by force. by the time i was 14, i had 400 sex partners by force, and i was drugged. at 16 i was living in east l.a. in a trailer by first and soto,
11:16 am
male prostitute on santa monica boulevard, and at 18 i was homeless in balboa park in san diego doing anything and everything to get my next hit of done. so very few people talk about the sex trade, sexual abuse and the many repercussions that come from that in our communities. and what would you recommend to somebody like me who lived that life who did go to harvard after that, who did go to bly, who had that mother -- berkeley, who had that mother that stood by me no matter what to get that story out? so i keep being told tell your story, tell your story, and i'm not going to let the opportunity pass having jorge ramos in front of me to say how do you -- [applause] how do you address these issues of the drug trade, sex trade and the impact it's having on on our
11:17 am
youth and someone like me who's just new to government feels that frustration when i feel i had more impact in the private sector. >> you have the courage that i don't have. and what you just did right now, that's so full of courage. [speaking spanish] and i think you know much more about that than i do. but i think what's so important is that you have the courage to tell that story to everyone here. and if you can tell that same story in many different ways, if you write a book, if you go on social media, if you start the conversation with other people, that's precisely what we need to hear. of i'm always frustrated with former presidents, i talk to president fox -- >> [inaudible] >> but what's so interesting is that former prime ministers they always say, oh, yes, legalize drugs. but when they are in power, they don't have the courage to do that.
11:18 am
so i cannot pretend that i know exactly what you should do. but i think what you just did right now, that's precisely what you should do. tell your story. don't be afraid. tell your story. you just did. [applause] >> congratulations, jorge. thank you for being here. [speaking spanish] i have, i would like to ask you two inputs about two topics. one of them is the independent candidacies in mexico, how are they going to develop and the impact for latins here in the states. and the other one is what do you think about the double citizenship, a latino citizenship and the american citizenship of one person being in mexico? how is he being looked by the
11:19 am
people? >> is not -- i can't, i have two passports, i can vote here in the united states and i can vote in mexico, and i think it's fine, because i am from both countries. that's what dines me right now. and -- defines me right now. and i could be criticized, and i'm always criticized here in the united states, and i'm always criticized in mexico. and for both countries i cannot change that. and if i'm having an influence in both countries, why shouldn't i vote in both countries? >> at the same time, does it diminish your power if you want to pursue something in the government arena? >> well, i don't think you can, i don't think you can run, right? in mexico -- in you just can't join the military, but you can join the government. >> yeah. there are many different ways of doing that. if you want to run as an independent in mexico, obviously, you have to give up one of the citizenships. >> and the independent candidacies? >> i think it's beautiful. mexicans are as fed up as americans with the
11:20 am
establishment. and then just imagine having the possibility of having an independent candidate in mexico. it would be fantastic. hen there would be the problem. but -- then there would be the problem. but as candidates, i'm all for it. it was fought for for years, and it was denied, and now he and many others will have the chance to win. who wants the pri or prd in mexico? we want change, right? so i'm all for it, all for it. >> thank you. >> thank you. [applause] >> some of you were not -- >> my name is -- [inaudible] and i am dreamer. there are other dreamers that just like me took the challenge to come to d.c. and become a congressional intern. i think we've taken that stand to represent our community. but what can the media and our community do to stand with us and possibly change the future not only of dreamers, but of our parents?
11:21 am
>> how old were you when you got here? >> excuse me? >> how old were you when you got -- >> 15. >> 15. and i think you're already changing the conversation. you don't -- look at the tactics that you've used, and i say "you" as a dreamer. the in your face tactics that you have, nobody else has used that. when you go to the offices of senators and members of congress and you tell them your story, that changed everything when you decided to go to the white house and tell the president. that changed absolutely everything. so it is not a matter of the dreamers have a strength that the immigrant community didn't have in the past. the traditional hispanic leaders look at you in despair saying what are these little boys doing, huh? you're changing the conversation.
11:22 am
so joust don't be afraid -- just don't be afraid. just keep on saying what you think. i think that's the most important thing. i -- for many, many, many years we were waiting for another cesar chavez, no? and cesar chavez in 1984, he said in a speech in california, he said i've seen the future, and the future is ours. well, he was talking about you. no? that's the future. not only in the numbers, but in the way we can change the conversation. and you are changing the conversation. so i think it's the other way around, you just don't realize that. but it is the politicians looking at what you are doing, not the other way around. so thank you. >> no, thank you. [applause] >> sorry i interrupted before, but you're about to hear an oxymoron. i'm a guatemalan feminist, and that's the reason why i'm standing here. i have a dual citizenship as well, so even though i was born
11:23 am
here, i am as guatemalan as you can believe. and i don't want to die without seeing a female president in either other of my countriment and -- [applause] i read an article last night before i went to sheep -- to sleep because continuously i'm attacked on voting for hillary clinton, i do not feel the bern, i'm sorry. [laughter] and they attack me when i say i'm voting for her because she's a woman. you know what? maybe i am. so i read an article last night, and it says if you were to twist around the plot, if hillary did not have the ivy league, if she were not former first lady, if she had not ever been in the white house, chances are she wouldn't have the momentum that bernie does. so if bernie were bernadette, bernie would not be seen near you or nobody will be feeling the bernadette can burn, you
11:24 am
know? so what's your stand on that? i know that you are harsh, so sometimes we're different on things there. but i want to hear a good standpoint on hillary clinton. [applause] >> yeah, and i'm not going to talk about that because -- [laughter] no, i think my job, for instance, i think i can be tough on both republicans and democrats. many people thought that we couldn't do that. and i've been really tough on trump, i've been really tough on marco rubio and ted cruz for turning their backs on the immigrants who came after their parents. and i think last debate with the democrats, i think i was tough enough with sanders and with hillary clinton. [applause] and i think that's my job. but something important, i think, is that as a journalist, i think i can be tough and independent, but i cannot be partisan. if i were here and tell you i'm
11:25 am
for one party or the other, you just wouldn't trust me. >> so do you think that if the plots were the other way around, bernadette would be standing where she is right now? >> you tell me now. >> i don't think so. [laughter] thank you. >> thanks. you know, we have a few minutes, but i would like to hear all of you, so why don't we hear all of you, and then i'll stay a few more, another hour to sign your bookings. i just don't -- books. i just don't want you to be here forever. go ahead. share questions -- okay, let's do it, let's play a game. [laughter] during the debate, now you'll feel the -- [laughter] you see how difficult it is. during the debate the candidates agree on certain rules. and they have to give an answer in 30 seconds. sometimes they have a minute, but if they have to respond, they have to do it in 30 seconds. so this is my challenge for each
11:26 am
one of you, okay? [laughter] you have 30 seconds for the question or a comment. whatever you want. and i won't say anything until the end. but you have 30 seconds. ready. okay, go ahead. [laughter] and i'm seeing the number of 34 -- >> oh, okay. [laughter] my name is -- [inaudible] i go to the university of kansas, and my question was have you ever thought running for office in the past? did it ever cross your mind? are we ever going to see a president ramos in mexico -- [cheers and applause] >> as a journalist, i think i better use my influence as a journalist. yes, at some point i did consider going back to mexico. that's why i went to grad school. not mihm. -- not anymore. i'm 57 already. it's your turn. next. >> good evening. i want to say thank you for staying truthful in the election and providing one of the most unbiased mod rayings i've --
11:27 am
moderations i've ever seen in the election so far, so congratulations, and i really appreciate that, keeping us honest. a lot of us are rebels here, a lot of us are dreamers, a lot of us are outspoken, a lot of hopefuls here. but sometimes along the way we stumble, right, and we fall down. what guidance can you provide or what light can you shed on those that fall and we don't want to get back up sometimes? especially as minorities, right? those falls are really hard. >> just follow the example of the dreamers, no? they were really afraid of even being deported, and look what they did. they changed the conversation. it's okay to be afraid. you just have to conquer that. if you can conquer that, it'll be impossible. 30 seconds. [laughter] >> [inaudible] [speaking spanish] look at that. >> no. no, no. [speaking spanish] i'm actually from the most dangerous state for journalists in mexico. so besides i get condemning the acts that are happening, you
11:28 am
more than anyone else know how much influence that u.s. government has in mexican politics and mexico's policy. so what should the u.s. government do about the atrocities that are happening to journalists in mexico? [applause] >> i wish the u.s. government would speak much more about that. >> but besides condemning it, any policies that you think should be -- [inaudible] >> honestly, yeah, i think it is mexicans who will have to deal with that directly. i mean, if we, if there was the u.s. government directing on what to do with human rights violation in mexico, the way mexicans are, they wouldn't respond positively. i think mexicans are changing mexico from within, and that's what we have to do. what's happening with -- [inaudible] in vera cruz, it's completely unacceptable. and mexicans are razeeing that. grass -- realizing that. gracias. >> [speaking spanish]
11:29 am
>> it's been 15 years since i haven't gone back. i'm going back on thursday. >> oh. [speaking spanish] >> for the first time this 15 years. >> first time in 15 years. [speaking spanish] [applause] >> [speaking spanish] >> gracias. [applause] >> benot know chess. >> recording. [laughter] >> no, i'm recording you. i'm julian gomez, i'm the college chapter leader or the college chapter coordinator for define american, and define american seeks to change the conversation around immigration, and we recently launched our college chapters network, and so
11:30 am
i wanted to ask you -- and this is why i'm recording, so i can show our chapter leaders -- >> [inaudible] >> how can our chapter leaders, our young chapter leaders in colleges around the country change the conversation on their campus and bring in folks who are maybe fellow students who are reluctant to join the conversation? >> i don't know, you tell me. what are you doing? ..
11:31 am
it is wonderful. thank you very much. >> i want to hear you instead of me giving you answers so i am not going to respond anymore but i want to hear you. 30 seconds each and then another 15 minutes. will that be okay? >> i have a couple questions. [laughter] >> they are great questions i promise. i am from pueblo, mexico, studied american as well and i was wondering what was your greatest challenge you had and how do you overcome it, how do
11:32 am
you decide to move forward instead of backward, and what do you say to emerging leaders, especially female leaders in the country if you haven't yet? >> the most difficult thing was to decide to be an immigrant. i did not want to be an immigrant, i was forced, the most difficult thing was to come to the united states. i was 24, what was i thinking? i gave up everything. that was the most difficult decision. we will talk later. >> when you were talking about journalism and objectivism, someone who is fashion at about human rights issues, a lot of journalists don't take a stand like you do but i had a question about the narrative around donald trump how do journalists respect him as a candidate because he is a candidate as
11:33 am
idiotic as he is, but not legitimate his hate speech that he is continuing to message? >> i wish they would be tougher on him. he has been getting away with it for too long. we have to change it. >> i love mexico. my question is given the financial crisis, my heart is bleeding. so much political trouble there is no clarity how we got here and what to do, what would you ask to get clarity of what is going on and how to fix it? >> i don't know. honestly, the answer has to be done by puerto ricans. i find it strange that we are
11:34 am
asking the us what to do in puerto rico. it is unthinkable in other countries. in many ways i think of puerto rico as an independent nation in many ways. that is my point of view. >> i work in the mexican embassy in dc, thanks for being here. during your speech you talked about how whites in 2055 will be a minority in the us and people cheered and you talked about people cheered, more than 1000 people cheered. don't you think we have to be very careful not to sound more superior and compare things and not to seem to be saying whites are inherently not that good?
11:35 am
cheering for those things sounds as increment a story is many things many whites do in this country. we have to be very careful the way we portray things and celebrate certain things. >> i have a different point of view. [applause] >> i think the president has done a terrible job responding to donald trump. 241 days to respond to donald trump. that is not the way to do it. [speaking spanish] [applause] >> i wasn't talking politics, more about society, creating a mixed society whether african-americans or latinos, you want to bring these societies together, not make one
11:36 am
better than the other. >> i don't think we are making one better than the other, just recognizing the growth, changes. >> good evening. you dedicated your 2004 book to the first latino president who use that had already been born. that is the line that inspired me to go into public policy. the latino has not made it to the general election, what do you see that day looking like and what will it mean for the latino community when a president is elected? >> we have the wrong idea about the first hispanic president. we thought he would be a democrat. he might be a republican. in that way, we have to do much more. the latino candidate from the democratic party, or the asian candidate from the democratic party, the african american from the democratic party.
11:37 am
republicans are doing something right. we have the idea that it was going to be a democrat. now it seems marco rubio or ted cruz might have a better chance in the next election. we will see. >> my name is diego from guatemala. there is an argument among political scientists the latino community is in a tough spot, the republican party has abandoned latino policy choices but democrats don't have to worry about latino policy choices because they shared their vote, what do you think the latino community can do to make sure there policy choices -- >> they can take us for granted. george w. bush, 44% of the hispanic vote.
11:38 am
remember 2004, republicans thought they would split the hispanic vote but they made many mistakes especially on immigration but democrats would make a huge mistake if they make the hispanic vote for granted. when it comes to values and the important a family, religion, his -- suspicion of government, many latinos feel closer to the republican party than the democratic party. if they don't take that into consideration we are in trouble. >> thank you. >> my name is elizabeth and i am a mexican american born to immigrant parents and i'm pretty nervous because i have been watching you since a long time, you would come on at 6:00 and i would go to my room because i want to watch the news at this point but i started seeing your books and everything and that is when i started thinking about my mexican identity and you are mexican and you are always identifying as an immigrant,
11:39 am
being born here, my parents being mexican i have had to mesh those two things together but -- and knowing you as a journalist, you identifying as an immigrant in the us, the reporting you do is because of your influence on this culture, this culture being the mixture of american and mexican influence the reporting you do when you do stuff in mexico. >> absolutely everything. it would be who i am affect everything i do and the fact that i am an immigrant means reporting about immigrants in the united states. not about south africa. >> does it connect to the public you are reporting to being in mexico and being immersed in our
11:40 am
culture in the us? >> a wonderful writer told me i had the opportunity to talk to her and she said until she realized she had a specific point of view and was different from the others, that is when she found her voice and i think i found my voice when i accepted completely that i am who i am. that changes everything i do. it is a different story than yours, but when she recognized she was who she was -- now in mexico she lives in mexico now, looking for her house and i am looking for my house too. when you are an immigrant you are always looking for your house, a place to call home and
11:41 am
your question is beautiful because i cannot be anyone else. i can't compete with anderson cooper, i can't compete with cbs news or nbc news because i am not them. my only value is to recognize who i am. [applause] [speaking spanish] >> i got really involved in politics. the latino, the town of texas, a frustrating experience, i was wasting my time, how do you channel the anger or frustration for something you feel passionate about? >> do things. that is exactly what you are
11:42 am
doing. that anger, that frustration into something and it works beautifully. you are changing things, right? >> registers and voting. >> something you can touch. that is the beauty of sculptors and artists that it can touch their anger and frustration and enthusiasm. do something you can touch and it changes everything. >> thank you for covering. >> how are we doing on time? five more minutes? to some autographs and pictures. you want selfys? i don't know how we are going to do with selfys. 5 more minutes. it would be like 3 and 3.
11:43 am
next? [speaking spanish] [speaking spanish] [speaking spanish]
11:44 am
[speaking spanish] [speaking spanish] >> i am a journalism student at georgetown university and i have a question about journalism in general. you have been very open about opposing donald trump but in journalism school they teach we have to be impartial.
11:45 am
i am from venezuela, and what is happening to my country, when does the journalist end and the person begins? >> i put it a different way. the question should be when as a journalist you have to take a stand, if you are reporting about a crash or a fire, five people die you say five people, if you -- i agree with the basics of journalism. you have to be neutral. but then sometimes you have to take a stand when it comes to racism, discrimination, corruption, public life, dictatorship you have to take a stand. you see spotlight? remember what happened with watergate. reporters took a stand, spotlight, reporters take a
11:46 am
stand against the catholic church with the victims, they took a stand. at some point they just can't be neutral. abuse a child, exactly the same as the victims, they took a stand, and i think i've i see happening now in venezuela, someone is abusing human rights. that is your job as a reporter. i agree with the basics, we have to report what we see. if you don't take a stand nothing happens. the best examples of great journalism in the united states, against mccarthy or during the vietnam war or katrina, spotlight, that is the best of journalism when you take a stand. not all the time, a few times but if you don't take a stand you are not doing your job. we have time for two more
11:47 am
questions and then the rest, i know. all right, all right. next? >> i actually work with the latino newspaper for the washington post, been here for six years, documenting on this in this election. the one topic no one is talking about is frustrating, we talk about a lot of millions of immigrants being deported to their country, many of us, a lot of journalists are blaming the us, fighting against obama or all these people but again we are not being upset or frustrated with the government,
11:48 am
the president of el salvador, mike two questions, how the latino advocate, how can we protect and fight for those people because a lot of children go back and are dying. these teenagers are going back to gang members. it is heartbreaking we are not protecting them from our end and we talk about white privilege country, i wasn't born here but i see that, or i become president or become united or citizens that i realize the privilege they have in this country is frustrating, it aggravates me a lot, they are not fighting for the people and don't necessarily have to have a family member in mexico, they are not fighting for those people so how you as an activist or journalist, what do you tell the latinos?
11:49 am
[speaking spanish] or smack >> latinos are taking for granted people in our country are dying and nobody cares. what do you say to them. >> you need to speak up. when eric garner was killed by the new york police, spike lee decided to speak up. he didn't have to do it but he did it and when you see something happen in honduras you have no important how it is for an african-american government, what we are seeing here about them in social media. >> really upsetting to me. >> what you are saying right here c-span is broadcasting. just imagine the impact that could have in honduras.
11:50 am
[speaking spanish] [speaking spanish] [speaking spanish] [speaking spanish]
11:51 am
>> i am originally -- my question is what do you think the honduran government to do to increase -- decrease the violence and murders in the country and your opinion about the amount of high-ranking politicians that got away with the social help scam. >> along answer but in terms of honduras it is a real crisis right now. in honduras how do you stop the violence? we don't know how to do that. i am not going to pretend to know. everyone is different, idea of the drug trade is affecting everything, the war on drugs hasn't worked at all. that is the first place to start. we start with the war on drugs, it isn't working. >> thank you.
11:52 am
[applause] [speaking spanish] [speaking spanish] >> i just think, and they have to respond, and standing up in front of donald trump, make sure your voice has heard, and take
11:53 am
hispanic votes and take us for granted and respond to the question. [applause] >> 30 seconds each. >> 30 seconds. [speaking spanish] [speaking spanish] >> my name is veronica, i am
11:54 am
from ukraine, and getting here, people here know that. is it possible -- i am a journalist. so i am here. >> not tonight for sure. [speaking spanish] >> i want to hear your voice. i want to tell you a little bit that i am passionate about, the environment, and a lot of latinos are very passionate about that as well. my question is, how do you see the latino voice impacting environmental policies
11:55 am
addressing climate change which something that disproportionately affect the latino community here and where our countries of origin may be? >> three more. [speaking spanish] [speaking spanish] [speaking spanish]
11:56 am
>> thank you. two more. >> what advice do you have for activists who have a heart for justice but suffer from depression? >> just speak up. many times you think you don't have a voice and you do have a voice and we need to listen to it. if you don't speak up we don't listen. [speaking spanish] >> my name is christina. i want to ask about univision cohosted the democratic debate and just before that debate 6 million homes nearly didn't have access to univision because of the at&t deal and they redline, pointed this out as a form of discrimination hispanic americans face today not being able to act on relevant content. what would you tell the room about this kind of discrimination? >> we are trying to make -- what
11:57 am
we just did at the beginning everybody wanted to watch was able to watch. facebook is fantastic. [applause] >> thank you for joining us. [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations]
11:58 am
[inaudible conversations] >> you are watching the tv on c-span2, television for serious readers. here is a look at what is on prime time tonight. we kick off the evening at 8:30 on how the welfare system has failed the poor. on afterwards at 10:00 pm eastern former congressman jc watts recalls his path from college athlete to public office. steve also recalled the volcanic eruption at mount saint helens on may 18, 1980. starting at midnight eastern, our first day of coverage from the 21 stu annual los angeles times festival of books. that happens tonight on c-span2's booktv. >> here is a look at some upcoming book fairs and festivals happening around the country. we are live from the universally
11:59 am
-- the los angeles times festival of books, visit our website for the full event schedule. on april 16th we are live from maryland's capital for the annapolis book festival. authors include diane rein and pulitzer prize-winning historian tim weiner. coming up in may from chicago, look for coverage of book expo america, the publishing industry's annual gathering featuring hundreds of books and authors. later in the month we are live from gaithersburg, maryland for the fourth annual book festival featuring fox news host juan williams and washington post columnist a j dion. for more information about book fairs and festivals booktv will be covering and to watch previous festival coverage click the book 1st have on our website booktv.org. >> let me introduce fred. 's most important distinction is he has done one or two rings in
12:00 pm
his illustrious career, the national security columnist at slate and author of four books, most recently the insurgent, at least crossed over with this new book which some people might necessarily imagine. a pulitzer prize-winning journalist whose days at the boston globe i am very pleased to be able to host today. the word on format, to give a few minutes describing the book and telling us a little about what is in it, take the opportunity to have a conversation, to explore some of the scenes and what we might conclude from that. ..

18 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on