Skip to main content

tv
Trump
Archive
  Munk Debate Focuses on Donald Trumps Candidacy in 2016  CSPAN  September 30, 2016 11:23pm-12:57am EDT

11:23 pm
>> >> barack obama and has systematically to work
11:24 pm
through the security council >> if any of the allies. is a disaster for ordinary russians. >> >> science and religion and not incompatible to not do a unkind things. >> show us you king keeps screaming but it does not change the point. >> we want opportunities. >>
11:25 pm
>> it is that kind of restraint and sensible for policy so he is a closet canadian. [laughter] >> the heart of downtown toronto. you are carved into the waters of lake ontario here we are then distinctive exterior design transparent by night this is the premier concert hall with the
11:26 pm
biggest names ine entertainment but tonight before 3,000 people a series of debates with the clash of ideas over the election. once again it is my pleasure to be your moderator. i want to start by a welcoming our television audience across the continental u.s. and seen coast to coast. watching face book live.e and of course, on our own
11:27 pm
website and also to all lead you the 3,000 people that once again filled all hall called. >> >> readability to bring to you with those thinkers with the big global challenges with the commitment and please join me to think of a warm appreciation. [applause] it is the treat to host this
11:28 pm
in toronto right now center stage and get the debate under way we have a controversial motion designed to fire up our participants in the auditorium audience that resolution that donald trump can make america great again.speaking for t our first speaker to nine to the former speaker newt gingrich. [applause] >> his teammates is a best-selling author renowned broadcast with 5 million
11:29 pm
daily listeners coast-to-coast in the united states and a force of naturecan of the american conservative movement loring from. [applause] one great team deservesgram at another and we have not disappointed you tonight. being resolved that donaldd trump can make america great again for real less labor secretary filmmaker and author in the formidable debate. [applause]
11:30 pm
>> canadian borne two-time governor in the state of michigan and the co-chair of phillip clinton white house transition team please join me for jennifer granville. [applause] >> before we go to the opening statement thoset. watching on line lettuce know what you think to take part in the of poll and for the countdown clock to keep
11:31 pm
on toes as they count downro to zero join me with a round of applause.e to do and we like to keep the proceedings moving quickly.views 3,000 people voted on tonight's resolution coming into the debate. downtown toronto canada. [laughter] do you agree or disagree? [applause] [laughter] 14 percent agreed 86 percent
11:32 pm
disagree. we can change your mind you will hear a lot in the next hour and a half. are you like litus change your vote? look at that. but let's just see how decided you are. >> first of all thanks forth coming out with a remarkable institution from several years ago with secretary rice to debate economics it was a great experience so i am delighted to be back.t deligh
11:33 pm
you may have thought we were put on edge whiff that vote. [laughter] but if you are a conservative that would beha good. [laughter] so that does not affect us. i would not have agreed tod to, and if the question was resolved the case should relax and not worried about the donald trump presidency. laugh laugh he represents a very real change. he will aggressively put america's interest first and has to raise issues because that is a frame of reference to set up a lot of questions that are not answered or what i wou so, then the long run that
11:34 pm
bregenz level of economic growth to rapidly advancing in, with the fundamentaln reforms to attract a better neighbor with a betterto support for national security. but the central governmente thir one call of the suicide line goes to call waiting and the the message. think about that. they are depressed they are thinking about suicide. you call the number one out
11:35 pm
of three times you get a recording. this is the level of incompetence produce seed this again and again. this is $19 trillion in infr. with a profound overhaul.rld ma the director of national intelligence that the chinese last year stole $360 billion. within the hundred billion dollar trade deficit. you cannot sustain that. talk about free trade?nd-lar but when your largest carter is stealing intellectual property. in the whole issue of the
11:36 pm
middle east. thirty-seven years since they legally seize the embassy. it has spent 15 years since then 11 when the sonics a promised kill the 3,000 people in united states. we have spent trillions of dollars tens of thousands of wounds nobody can argue year winning.we need so we need to rethink. to spend 46 years in public life. as crude rough-and-tumble to build things and make them work to have the
11:37 pm
entrepreneurial drive and the force of originality that will enable less to break through the united states will be a weaker partner for both national security and in the long run amr there is over 3,000 people shot in chicago over five injured killed. that requires profound fundamental rethinking we have lost more since 2009 and afghanistan combined fees rough-and-tumble not settle, not live person but
11:38 pm
he may be like andrew jackson the kind of person you need to break through to get the system to work again and i would argue then is a much better gamble for the future for current policies and that is why we have a much better chance with a donald trump. [applause] >> you have six minutes on the clock with their opening statement. >> i love to debate him because we agree on nothing. [laughter] but in a good-natured way i have been here about 24 hours i am sure reassured to
11:39 pm
learn that the canadians and not contemplating building a wall.. [laughter] on the off chance he becomesld president most of us want to come north.but the lead me just say on the proposition that 86 percentf of you are with governor and meet, -- and we want to give you fire up that 80 percent -- 90% but where do we begin [laughter] [applause]me just sa >> it is very sincere when you have a lot of people in a society that feels economically stretched and
11:40 pm
in the united states to a lesser extent a much better safety net we have the working-class people who were on a downward escalatort wt overhears it all went to cast aspersions if i was labor secretary when speaker gingrich was speaker but trying to get job training and education spending and the earned income-tax credit and to get a lot of opportunities to widen the circle of prosperity that they would not do that all they wanted was trickle-down economics and then you pretend it trickles down but
11:41 pm
it doesn't but the net result of all those years we have seen over 25 years that result is a large ingrowing percentage of americans togged a be rigged to against them.ll as and you know, as well as i do with a large percentage of depopulation you can see the same stresses the around the world the conditions where it is ripe with authoritarian populism now in history one i will call authoritarian one will talents that anchor and anxiety and to blame uh
11:42 pm
democrats are minorities. the tragedy of what happened 90 years ago is still within the minds of many of us but the alternative is genuine reform.tical you'd do invest in people with the key the opportunity. that is the only alternative for going ridley is us choice between authoritarianan populism. p that is what we face right now in the united states. that is why donald trott dispatches in the words of the cincinnati inquirer is a in 150ican publication that in 100 years has not endorsed a democrat.
11:43 pm
they said donald trump is a clear and present danger to the united states and also to the world. i don't have to do this i have one minute left but you noticed the man who denies climate change food bows to cancel the agreement a strong girl leader and president obama who says the president invite one dash invented isis and says he was an item borne in the united states. is an embarrassment of riches.rr [laughter] to suggest that justice scalia was part of a plot and call former miss miss universe miss piggy.
11:44 pm
thousands of muslims celebrated the twin towers collapsing a was to prevent them from entering to put a case against trump university in i could go on and on. this is wielding anxiety and frustration it is hate mongering to undermine the social fabric of the united states so isn't just an is donald trump but he is already poisoned the of well .
11:45 pm
>> next opening statement you are on the clock. >> thanks for coming tonight it is the great privilege. i cannot believe 14 percent actually support the proposition.s year. >> i have seen firsthand how obsessive all street is that wielding influence. of lobbyists and campaign donations to get the global deals that they want with the tpp will boost profits the to make the richest 1% even
11:46 pm
richer and contribute to thean shrinkage of the middle-class that was posted by former secretary of labor by the clinton administration and our opposition tonight. [laughter] now a 2008 article of the electrolux vacuum cleaners favor going to leave michigan for mexico. senator was disappointed and promised to persuade the companies to state to assemble a package of more than 120 million of state and local tax credits the city offered to build the plant, the local union agreed to give up $303 million in wages for police said there is nothing you can do to compensate for the fact we can pay $1.57 per hour that is when i said
11:47 pm
nafta has given us the shaft. i will use that on radio show on monday. but i will be clear i did not use the statements to a barris our opponent but to show that we share common ground and it is important even add a debate because even those in washington complained we don't haveve enough bipartisanship people from different parties cannot agree on policy to make lives of average americans better. but with globalization people of good faith on both sides agree the current system does not work for the blue-collar workers. so for years governor gran home has warned about the trade policies for the american workers and some of
11:48 pm
us including senator sessions have done the same. we are not asking for protectionism or trade. we are simply asking for some -- system where workers and businesses have a better chance to compete better to grow and expand and seek higher wages. it is the largest and most attractive market and the world and we should not be forced in united states to enter a deal that puts our people added disadvantage. what happens? absolutely nothing people like bernie sanders or myself at this moment is pushing another trade deal
11:49 pm
and this is the exact deal that you criticized. but we know everyone in this room knows that hillary clinton if elected president our country will soon be bound by the tpp it couldd happen in the lame-duck session or after she becomes president making a few minor adjustments but it will happen. why are we doing this? i will tell you. because the same people who kept the same gridlock in washington for so many years are in favor of it because they're always in favor of what benefits them. normally the top 1% and big donors and big corporations who have fancy lobbyist whot are paid a lot of money to each cnc dinners to wine and
11:50 pm
dine those at the capital then comes donald trump he is rough-and-tumble with no political experience and he comes out and calls everybody out. he does and a way that is off-putting and it is frankly terrifying because when you mess with their status quo than they start to get serious about fighting you. donald trump will not beho beholden to big donors, wall street, wall street endorses' hillary clinton she refuses to share her transcripts at the goldman sachs speeches. we needed government thatpr represents all of the people. because donald trump promises to do that. [laughter] i still think canadians are nuys.na [laughter] to break the oligarchy in washington d.c. that hasto
11:51 pm
delegated:dash dominated the country. [applause] >> governor? >> the key for the invitation to come to have the canadian board politician against donald trump that then ted cruise endorsed him. [laughter] >> so i will talk as an apology. i will give you six minutess or a couple countries and soo you might go against the
11:52 pm
resolution. for example, donald trump and is sold erratic that nbc has done an evaluation he has changed his mind 124 times on the issue off immigration 18 times. he would be a danger. not just because he is erratic but take the word of the economist with the global risks.s the fourth donald trump is the fourth highest global rest -- a
11:53 pm
risk. they have never put a politician before. [laughter] because the language of the muslim world is god's gift the counterterrorism agency a number of times he can find that when i saw this section be rooting for donald trump to be president because that would give them an ability to recruit. secretary nger because because of what the mayor putin and not just because he says he is a better leader.for anybody
11:54 pm
so you may recall that his campaign manager said he, represented for many years the head of the russian back to ukraine and tell he was kicked out. when he was ahead of double trump's campaign during the republican convention he went in and would remove a provision on the platform defen but he also said with a foreign policy in pfizer's a u.s. businessman who does uh i huge amount of business it was determined that they are under investigation for policy advisor is under investigation from the
11:55 pm
united states intelligence agency because because of lifting the sanctions with the trumpet victory. and then with the kremlin to hack it -- clinton's e-mail's we know that all these russian hackers have hacked into the dnc and and the caa said vladimir putinrumpn is the unwilling agent. he is a danger. and i'm sure you are following this tromp university, everything.
11:56 pm
reno he is said chiseler because he is involved in 3,400 lawsuits from contractors are suing just to get paid and people who served in the clientele we know he is hiding something. with a 40 year tradition with the presidential candidates so we can see if there is any conflict. because the news agencies to evaluate candidates they evaluate the statements. and all politicians they have evaluated donald trump is by far the biggest liar. [laughter]
11:57 pm
"usa today" says don't vote for donald trump first time in history they have taken a position in the presidential race. seventy% of those statements were lies. and the resolution says please. vote against the resolution. [applause] >> the table is set now we will go into rebuttals. speaker gingrich i will start with you react to what you have heard. >> first of all as canadians having to listen to these to ask yourself how could
11:58 pm
donald trump be this close to winning? [applause] because it is the same reason of rome for the first time was a female mayor and she won as part of the five-star movement. the president has been impeached for corruption and has been indicted criminally with the petroleum company with the scandal of briberydal b and 74 percent of brazilians believe. but 75 percent believe in widespread corruption republicans have not been in charge of chicago last change was 1940 to other
11:59 pm
cities are disintegrating kids don't have jobs there is violence these arele democratically controlled areas.d honestly and dishonestly. he changes his opinion as often as every clinton changes the explanations of her e-mail's. [applause] almost 50 percent of the country right now maybe a winning percentage. is bill clinton is the clintons to gave 20 percent so is that kind of corruption to say yes and maybe risc but the better briskly and hillary clinton. [applause] r
12:00 am
>> is convenient for the lead to to blame somebodylame s who has not been in office the past 16 years for the ruin they have left behind. a massive refugee crisisa cons with consumer confidence crisis, the rise of the populist movement in western europe.n euro . .
12:01 am
that have been nothing like but flatline, u.s. economy and a negative and pessimistic view of government coming from the people.
12:02 am
>> i disagree. for example, laura, you said that hillary clinton is indebted to wall street. donald trump is not indebted to wall street because wall street won't give him any more loans. he declared bankruptcy four times. where is he getting his money? could it be perhaps from russia? with regard to trade, i was there. i implemented the north american free trade act. [applause] >> thank you. nafta to my way of thinking did not have adequate labor or environmental protections in it. it was the best deal we could
12:03 am
get. free trade is not itself bad but the problem is if we don't have, and the united states doesn't have mechanisms in place to ease the adaptation of workers who get hurt by the loss of jobs because of trade or technological change. if you don't have job training, education, reemployment insurance, if you don't have anything in place then obviously those workers are growing to be stranded. the problem is not trade. the problem is lack of adjustment mechanisms for the people who get hurt by trade and technological change.
12:04 am
[applause] >> and let me say finally that trade is not and should not be considered as donald trump considers it a zero sum game. a trade should be a positive sum gain. if you don't trade you actually are going to condemn the rest of the world particularly the poor in the world to a life of lifetime poverty. that is not good for the world, foreign policy or peace. thank you. [applause] >> laura quoted my huge anxiety over the loss of the election and they have given us the shasta as they have been enforced. ontario has seen its share of lost manufacturing jobs and the question is who is in a better position to create industrial clusters, to go after advanced manufacturing and make the investments necessary to make our region irresistable to those who would create jobs here.
12:05 am
who is in the best position to be able to be smart enough and maybe it is because he doesn't pay any general taxes and he said that is because i am smart. somebody who is being guarded at this moment by secret service and how the
12:06 am
12:07 am
12:08 am
12:09 am
12:10 am
12:11 am
candidates -- let's stay on track. >> i beg the question to begin with. >> good. >> we are -- our unemployment rate in the united states is 4.9 percent. it is less than half of what it
12:12 am
was when barack obama took over. as team that have given oxygen to
12:13 am
this dark, underbelly. it is not everybody on the republican side. but there is a swath and that swath of the electorate who is animated by this movement that when you go to donald trump's rally and they have the most horrific signs and chants. words we cannot even describe here that you would be absolutely mortified. and it is perfectly common at his events. the idea that he and that -- the people running his campaign, who run this bright bart news site which is the home of this white nationalist movement, the fact they trumpet this america first as that is the rise of america. when that america first movement is a movement that started during world war ii to convince
12:14 am
america not to engage against hitler when it has been seen as a spin-off of this white nati nation nationalist movement would put america in decline. the world is complicated and complicated things are happening in the middle east. what has donald trump said he would do? he said he would think about disengaging from nato or thought going to the defense of countries -- >> i want to get to international affairs in a moment and it will be part of the debate. but speaker, how do you respond to the governor saying america is not in decline? >> there are two parts. one is a left wing fantasy that you have to invent a new horror in order to hide from reality. the fact is, a famous reporter on labor day, ten million men
12:15 am
have dropped out of the job market. they are not looking for work, playing computer games or whatever. the fact is right now the opioid epidemic is so bad for the first time since the development of the mass produced car there is a new cause of death larger than automobile wrecks and it is opioid addiction. more people die today because the underclass of america, the whole sense of what is going on, is led to an epidemic of the combination of mexican heroin and oxycotin. third, gallop reports 25 million people dropped out of the middle class in this administration. 25 million dropped out. this wasn't donald trump's fault. he wasn't in charge of the presidency. how much money was in the original package in 2009?
12:16 am
how little went to infrastructure and how much went to paying off various political allies. and you talk about investments. 557 million for solar power and it went bankrupt in your home state they invested in a battery company that went bankrupt and was bought by the chinese. case after case. it is a bit much to exist there is a group on one side that america is going through three parallel revolutions. they are going through all the people who are drifting toward donald trump, sanders, and there is a black lives matter rebellion among younger blacks who are sick and tired of being lied to and having nothing happen to inprove their lives. all three occurring at the same time and none are donald trump's fault but a manifestation of an establishment that failed, is
12:17 am
corrupt and can't deal with reality. [applause] >> i think there is an important kernel of truth to what both of you are saying. just a kernel. with regard to the hopelessness and despair and anger and anxiety and frustration placed by many people who used to be in the middle class, and even though the economy is improving and i think we have a lot to be grateful for, that underlying structural problem -- that it started 30 years ago is still very much with us. but i think we are reaping the worldwind of failing to invest in people. failing to invest in education. failing to invest in infrastructure. we are reaping when whirl wind of failing to provide the security people need to go on with their lives. we have made a fetish and i don't mean to be partisan, newt
12:18 am
gingrich, but it starts -- [laughter] >> i was there when you became a speaker. your contract with america. that deregulation, trickle down economics, that austerity economics. do you know what happened to america because of it? a lot of the despair and declining of the middle class is at your feet and the feet of the people you have drawn in. [applause] >> so, when laura asks me how is it so many people find donald trump to be somewhat exciting and interesting it is because of the choice that i indicated at the beginning that when you have so many people who are economically stressed some will be moved and tempted to follow an authoritarian leader and who
12:19 am
many have said is deeply flawed and deeply dangerous. [applause] i want to bring laura and -- >> let me say two things. the largest decline of children in poverty, the largest taking children out of poverty occurred after the welfare reform because people's tendency was to work. and bill clinton takes credit which is fine but we moved more people out of poverty in childho childho childhood than any other time. this is the tragedy of liberals. it would be great to invest in education and i believe in
12:20 am
passionately. in detroit, 9% of the third graders can read. in baltimore, 13% of the eighth graders can pass the math exam. the baltimore system is a billion system and fails the children. we have been going through this for 30 years. those of us who believe in choice and picking a school that works are defeated consistently by the power of the labor unions who own the democratic party lock, stock and barrel. don't you have to reform the system so you have something positive happen with the money? [applause] >> very quick. very quick. it is very, very important for us to acknowledge that money is not the only thing that is necessary. without money you cannot do anything. the united states is only one of two oecd countries that actually provide less funding per poor
12:21 am
child than funding on average for middle class children. that to me is a scandal. >> i want to bring us back to the resolution which is be it resolved donald trump can make america great again. these are big problems. inner city, failed education, suicide, drug addiction, what are the characteristics you think trump has that can address these complicated, entrenched problems you are saying this informed educated elite were unable to fix over the last 15 years. >> i think he has the courage to be called every name in the book and still hold on to the idea what happened over the last couple decades has been maybe great intentions but it hasn't worked for the average person. it is unpleasant to be walking through that fire and i know jennifer and bob face the same thing.
12:22 am
in public life you have to deal with a lot and it isn't pleasant. it isn't pleasant to take on both parties that agree on a lot. there is a reason the bush's are at least probably a couple supporting hillary clinton. they agree on a lot of issues. they agree on globalization, probably on immigration, agree on a lot of foreign policy and trump has, i would submit that trump has a much -- is much closer to reagan than george w bush. i am someone who was for the war in iraq and something i had to reexamine and did a broadcast in baghdad and love our troops but i think right now we are seeing america stretched every which way: financially, culturally, stretched in every way and donald trump is basically saying, guys, it is not 1984 and it is not 1994 even.
12:23 am
we are $19 trillion in debt. we can't do this to the next generation. we can't pile this on their shoulder because america will cease to exist. i have a new way forward. it is not going to be easy. when he says it can happen -- of course it can happen fast. but it is certainly not going to happen if we keep saying let's spend our way out of this or we have a foreign policy that is so confused and muddled that our advisaries take advantage and friend don't trust us. trum comes along saying we will layoff regulations, lower the corporate tax rate, and simplify life of the small business owner in america which is tethered to environmental regulations, labor regulations, and i know some of them are necessary but not all of them are necessary. he is trying to streamline that with a little bit of common sense.
12:24 am
i don't think it is as partisan as people would make him out to be. i think he is a commonsense pragmatist guys and if he gets in the white house and fails they will throw him out in four years because the people are impatient right now. >> i want jennifer to come in on this. >> i totally get the deficit issue but what he proposed according to objective evealators like the tax foundation would increase deficit by 5.3 trillion because of the tax cuts to the rich he is proposing. do your point about doing something about oxycotin or investment in schools, the paul absent about education is -- policy -- cut 75% of funds from public schools. 30% from the department of education. put it all into vouchers which help the private institutions
12:25 am
but the public institutions are left wanting. you put at risk the 22 million students as a result. so my point in saying this is i totally understand what you are saying and understand from a republican point of view why you would say that and those are the intellectual arguments you are making. but the problem is the policies he is proposing don't address the issues you are raising. [applause] >> not only do they not address the policies you are raising but actually they take us in the opposite direction. jennifer mentioned the independent tax foundation which did an analysis and they found that donald trump's tax plan would boost the after tax incomes of the top 1% you would
12:26 am
get an additional 1400 on your taxes because they would be reduced. this is going to happen every time -- this is why that could work and good for the american. >> in the late '70s, we had a change in effort and it it collapsed. this is a simple model of saying are you better off than you were four years ago? he won the largest electorate
12:27 am
college victory. it was a very bold approach that said if you cut regulations and taxes you stimulate the american economy and get dramatic growth. the truth is we came out of a deep recession fast and had a tremendance amount of economic growth: i have been through phase one. in 1994, i campaigned to produce four consecutive budgets. i believe you can save $140 billion a year in federal budget. literally. i believe if you open up america for national resource development you probably generate seven trillion over 10-12 year. i believe if you went through
12:28 am
all the properties owned by hud and got rid of the empty houses sitting and blighting cities you go through the cycles. having done it once, it took four years and we thought it would take seven. i think within 5-7 years a very aggressive entrepreneur who walks in every morning and says what do we have to get done? not what is our theory? what my next speech? what are the seven answers for the press conference but what do we need to get done. one pieces would be business transfer tax, eliminate the corporate income tax, rebate the tax on leaving the country and charge it for imports coming in. that differential alone would create a tremendous number of jobs eventually. [applause] >> if you can answer in the context, we are hearing an appetite for blowing it up.
12:29 am
the status quo hasn't worked. median incomes of americans have been frozen since the late '90s. it is time for radical change. but the question is radical change of what sort? everybody wants change. i want change. i agree with newt gingrich entirely that we should not pay crooks. bipartisan agreement. but the real issue is exactly what you do. and we can debate supplies economics until we are both board to tea-- bored to tears. i know when the budget was balanced and what happened with the george w. bush administration in terms of creating a $5 trillion debt and barack obama worked out of it. then we had deregulation under george w. bush that created and
12:30 am
contributed to one of the worst meltdowns in wall street and the economy we have had. the central issue is donald trump and his experience, his credibility, you say he is a great business man, well i know he alleged in 1976 that he had a networth of $200 million. that is he said. he now he has a net worth of $8 billion. in 1976 if he had taken the 200 million and put it into an index film and reinvested the dividend and did something he would have $12 million now. not what i call a great business man. >> i think of it this way.
12:31 am
sometimes when you think of bill clinton and hillary clinton when president clinton left office and hillary clinton decided she would run for senate. they famously said they left the white house broke which of course wasn't true. but essentially broke. in a relatively short period of time, hillary and bill clinton made close to $150 million. that is great. i am for all people making as much as they can. that is awesome. what did they do for $150 million, though? to whom did they speak? what type of action did they get to the leverage of power in washington, d.c.? what type of regime paid them to speak? and how is it that bill clinton's speaking fees, i believe, tripled when hillary clinton decided to run for the presidency? i wonder why that is that he -- suddenly all these countries
12:32 am
wanted to hear from bill clinton and pay him three times the going rate. that might seem like a small point but i would say it this way: donald trump didn't bat a thousand in business in. i don't know many who have. so he has had some things that are not been all that successful. however he has employed and created economic opportunity for at least 14,000 workers across the globe. those are real human beings with real families and children and kids to send to college and dreams and hopes and that is something. and to create a job and to make a payroll and i have maybe 50 employe employees and that is small. it is not easy. i am just a small business person. to employ thousands of people and to start a company and to keep it going with the government and all of the
12:33 am
competing interest of the competitors, i love how people blow that off. there is nothing there. how many people have the clinton's ever employed in the private sector? zero. [applause] >> it is true that donald trump has created a global business and i think it is trip terrific to talk about people employed around the globe with compassion. 500 businesses are under the trump umbrella and news week did a story talking about the kinds of businesses and in what country he invests. he has investments in shores in russia and in the united arab
12:34 am
emrites, in india, all over the globe. the question is because he says i won't be running my company when i am president, i will give it over to the kids to run. any ethic expert tells you that is not a blind trust. that doesn't remove the conflict of interest your immediate family is running this global operation. when he makes a foreign policy decision, if he did as president, that happened to benefit one of his companies, wouldn't everybody be wondering did he make that decision because he was going to line his children or his own pockets in the future? would our foreign policy as a country be for sale? that is another element of the dangerousness of donald trump. i want to parrot with this idea of him being a compassionate business owner.
12:35 am
here is a guy who, you know, at his resort in florida, always has international workers coming. he said he can't hire people locally. in trump modeling, he recruited a bunch of international models to come work in the united states and his organization coached them on how to lie to the immigration officials. this is a guy who is a steadfast put up a wall send them out guy and yet his personal life and existence has completely gone in the other direction. so to this resolution we are debating, can donald trump make america again, it is difficult to imagine a guy making america great again when everything in his personal life wreaked of hypocrisy based on what he is saying today. i completely understand -- [applause] >> yup. i am sorry but we are conscious of time.
12:36 am
we will wind it up by having an explanation of why the personal isn't a reflection of professional. quick last statement and then going to closing statements. >> i think a clinton supporter worrying about conflict of interest is so -- [applause] >> -- it is so infuriating breat breath taking. under hillary clinton, the u.s. state department lobbied the haitian government against raising the minimum wage from $3 a day to $5 a day on behalf of people who happen to have given to the clinton foundation. this is a level of disgusting mixing of government and person personnel health. for hillary clinton to raise the
12:37 am
concept of conflict of interest shows a capacity for schizophrenia that is stunning. [applause] >> i talk about the capacity for schizophrenia. the idea that somehow the clinton foundation is somehow a bad thing or that somehow it can be compared with donald trump's worldwide efforts. the clinton foundation has done very good things. it is a charitable foundation. it is extrodinarily -- extroidinarily commendable. did you know the landscape of america, in fact the world is littered with people with contractors and employers who
12:38 am
have never been paid but owed by donald trump? have been stiffed by donald trump? when you say that somehow donald trump created jobs but the clinton's haven't. the clinton's have been involved most of their life and i have seen it, experienced it and worked with them in the public sector. in the public sector, bill clinton as president presided over on economy because of his policies that created 22 million net new jobs in the united states. that is not insignificant. >> wait a second. this is breathtaking. you have saying that hillary clinton, the feminist icon, my first book was called "the hillary trap" as a feminist icon we are supposed to judge hillary clinton's plan for the economy, robert, from her husband's record on the economy? because i thought women stood for themselves. [applause]
12:39 am
>> i thought women -- come on! >> wait a minute. >> [multiple conversations] >> no, no, no. let me finish. i never interrupted in the debate. when you cut to the bone of a liberal they always call foul. remember, i am woman hear me roar. hillary clinton is the tough, pioneering trailblazing woman except when the going is tough it is like i am a dam sill in distress and it is like michelle obama can you go campaign for me? or my husband's economy is good
12:40 am
so please, just belief me, he is going to be my economic advisor and save me from all of this. if you want to stand on your own two feet... see they don't listen. if you want to stand on your own merit and your own two feet with your own policies than i am ready to hear about how hillary has been hiding in a secret treasure chest and the secret to the u.s. economy and the secret she's has been keeping from barack obama for years because he hasn't been able to do it. i hope hillary stands on her own two feet as a strang and accomplished woman and said my husband is his own person, i have my own way forward and listen to my ideas. that is better. >> please be brief. >> i will be very brief. >> thank you. >> i disagree. [laughter] >> let me just say, laura, you
12:41 am
can't have it both ways. you are saying hillary clinton and bill clinton haven't created a single job. you are saying hillary clinton wasn't responsible for the jobs created under the bill clinton administration. she was first lady and the fact is hillary clinton to the extent she is and has been a partner with bill clinton over the last 40 years i think deserves some credit. no? okay. >> robert, i don't know if you will win this. >> wait a minute, her health policy, i was there in the white house when she worked night and day to try to craft a health policy. there has been no first lady in my -- >> and it failed. >> we will move to closing statements. i want to be conscious of the time so we will do it in the reverse order meaning jennifer granholm you up with three
12:42 am
minutes on the clock. >> i totally want to lighten it up. in honor of tonight, i have constructed an ode to this muck debate and insanity in the u.s. election. bob and i spoke against the resolution america is already great, trump is not the solution. many canadians believe americans will not lect a president trump. in history is any guide, police don't displayer, we never had a president with that color hair. so sad that newt and laura have not yet come to grips with the retality of the trump. ponder trump's psychology, his whole rational for running is he. you ask why does his bluster
12:43 am
seem so sure? is it because he is so insecure? his words so bold and he seems super strong for a seven year old. manipulated by flattery, voted by tweets and his hands near the launch codes when he overheats. when he is done he is bromancing vladimer putin and kim. he says i will bring back the jobs let go but he makes stuff in china and mexico. one reason we cannot let up the attacks is trump's refusal to release his own taxes. this lack of transparency like never before as he is dashing his loot offshore? or because donald trump's race is unfair? or his global investors are at such a scale that trump foreign policy would be for sale?
12:44 am
he is the candidate of america firstism spewing anti-immigrants, rants and racisms, building huge walls are part of his plan and must all be related to the size of his hand. of course that wall will block bad guys from mexico. weird there are no bad guys here in ontario? and his issues with women and what it reveals punish the women who exercise choice, criticizing the sound of hillary's voice, bleeding out vile like a glow hard, i think it is time to play that woman card. so, no pressure, no pressure tonight. vote as your conscious dictates. the election just turns on the outcomes of the munk debates.
12:45 am
[applause] >> i would say it is very difficult to follow dr. suess tonight. i have a rap if you don't mind. [applause] >> no, i am totally kidding. that would be really tragic. a blonde american rapper. vanilla ice part two. i think it is really serious what we are talking about tonight. poetry is really funny but not withstanding america is in decline. i am a daughter of a working class couple. my mom was a waitress until she
12:46 am
was 74 years old. her hands knotted up with arthritis from carrying the tray and died at 79 not much time out of her retirement. she worked had hard for her children. my father ran a car wash. we picked tobacco, picked peaches and blue berries and delivered newspapers and did jobs because of dignity and work and had to. i learn from my mother that when something is true say it. when something is wrong fight against it. don't be afraid even if you are in a room of skeptics. mile and try to share your story. the story of america is complicated but in 240 years we
12:47 am
didn't get to this place to see it go down the drain not because of one party failing but both parties failing. we have real unemployment and und underemployment and people taking part-time jobs at 12.6 people and people really in despair have given up all together. i think donald trump is the only person to make america great again because the alternative would continue us on a path of the same decline, the same division on our streets, frankly between the races, between the poor and the rich, immigrants and non-immigrants because without pros prosperity and the dignity to work and make a better living america will not continue to exist as it does today. that might sound alarmist and
12:48 am
that is never going to happen. but in a scenario with the rise of china, position of russia and america in decline, my friends, that is not a good scenario for this beautiful country that we are sitting and standing in today. donald trump will make america great again. [applause] >> i think you seen the 2016 election has worn be down. [laughter] >> i was 6-2 before. i am also getting old. i remember harry truman as president, the esinhower
12:49 am
election, and an america that feels different than what i am witnesses today. part of what happened to your neighbor to the south and frustration and anxiety over declining wages and job security. 2/3rds of americans are living paycheck to paycheck and jobs are becoming less secure and for the first time in memory most americans believe their children will not do as well as they are doing. to that extent, i agree with our debating opponents that i think the vision we believe is better for america is sharply different. part of the anger and part of the fear and part of the anxiety
12:50 am
in america today has found its way into a viciousness, a name calling and inability of people to talk to one another across the great boundaries of party in class and race, and it is vitally important and i say this as somebody who is getting older and served as secretary of labor in the clinton administration and served even in a republican administration and that is something else i will stel tell you to keep under your hats. we have to learn to work together and work together better. donald trump, to my mind, his misogyny,xenophobia,
12:51 am
narcissistic behavior, represents a character that is dangerous for the united states. he needs to be reputated big time. i want to all of you, i want to ask the 14% of you who are still with trump, i want to ask you to come over to our side for the simple reason i want americans to know that here in canada you know right from wrong and you repur reputiate this person who should never have been dominated to be president of the united states. [applause] [applause] >> first of all, thank you. it has been a lot of fun. i think you can tell that all four of us like to live in a
12:52 am
world of words and are fairly good at it. i want to pose one question and a way of measuring that question. i think donald trump is a risk. i think when you have somebody totally outside politics and an entrepreneural business person by definition to bring them at the top is a risk. but i also think that the current pattern is an even bigger risk. this is what i ask you of the next few weeks to think about as you read newspapers or watch news. how many terrorists attacks does it take in europe and the united states where i think a humanitarian crisis in nigeria because of boka haram? ...
12:53 am
ask yourself, you go from george w. bush saying, there's an axe sis of evil. he names three countries, one of those iran. we're currently sending iran billions of dollars and day-by-day we're learning the deal is even worse. you think the iranians have changed? you think they're not? president obama body says the largest state supporters of terrorism on the planet, and we're sending them billions of dollars. that's going to work? so every time you work around the system is not working.
12:54 am
in the next riot, the next violence, you think this has worked? my point is simple. i've been at this stuff since august of 1958. i helped create a majority for the first time in 40 years, speaker of the house. worked with bill clinton to baseball the federal budget, so reform welfare am genuinelyfighted nonjust for the united states but for all of western civilization, and you just read the papers, put the dots together and, which i the bigger risk, more of the stuff that isn't working or taking a gamble on real change. [applause] >> ladies and gentlemen, we began the week with an uninspiring, less than terrific debate.
12:55 am
we ended friday with the debate on u.s. politics that i wanted to watch on monday and you gave it to us tonight. please, let's thank our debaters. they were fantastic. [applause] [applause] >> so, we have a luxury tonight. we don't have the responsibility of voting in november but get to cast a ballot now. all 3,000 of you in this hall have a ballot. you received a second ballot on your way in. >> remember the drinks i promised you. >> marge reel ritas for the --
12:56 am
margaritas for the 14. we'll look at what the results were at the start of the evening again. we began tonight's debate with an agreed/disagree vote. those numbers i believe were 14% in favor of the motion. the rest, 86% opposed. you're submit on whether you can change your minds or not. let's see if that happened. all of you, there's ballot boxes on the way out. of the hall. and we'll tally those results around 9:00. those of you watching this broadcast right now on c-span, the results will be on our social media feed, also shortly after 9:00 p.m. so, again, lamp, thank you for being part of a terrific debate. to balloto