Skip to main content

tv   After Words Milo Yiannopoulos Dangerous  CSPAN  December 29, 2017 9:00pm-10:07pm EST

9:00 pm
>> this week washington journal features authors of key books published this past year. join us for our live conversation with authors about their popular books. coming up on saturday, jessica bruder with her book, no man's land. surviving america in the 21st century. and on sunday, an author with the gatekeepers. how the white house chiefs of staff define every presidency. ...
9:01 pm
>> host: milo, great to have you with us. i see you're up in new york and we're excited to have you. that's all right. >> guest: got me in a dark room in a skyscraper. >> host: you look like you're over the new york skyline. >> guest: that's a lie. it's a poster. >> host: so there's no advertisement for your book behind you. right? >> guest: like drag queen style. i think people know about -- >> host: probably -- we'll see it. so, just in case anyone on the planet has missed it, you have just written in published your first book, "dangerous." >> guest: i have. >> host: i noticed from the table of contents that pretty much everybody hates you. so, according to -- >> guest: i don't feel that way. >> host: according to the table of contents here we have a number of people who hate you. i guess you would say that the
9:02 pm
progressive left hates you, the altright hates you. twitter it hases you feminists hate you, "black lives matter" hates you. the media hates you. the list goes on. the question is, you have sold an awful lot of books for somebody who is hated by everyone. who is buying the book? >> guest: that is true. it's week four on "the new york times" best bestseller list. it's hard to believe. i am. >> host: i wish we had a crystal ball. >> guest: i have been very happy with the reaction. i think what happened is people dish had a little bit of a drama in february where something tumbled out of my mounding a year and a half ago or something on one of those long live streams. something will tumble out of you mouth half thought out that you
9:03 pm
don't need. so that happened and i apologize for that and what happened afterwards is why i love america so much. people are so forgiving, and if they believe that you gave a sincere account of what went wrong, and if they know that by and large you're a good, decent person, petting out good, deposit product, and they really want to hear more from you, then i think they're very accommodating and very forgiving. >> host: that's not exactly my memory of the way that win down. >> guest: yeah. and i think people have been great. the media, of course, are pigs and repugnant, but actually americans are fine. they're lovely, wonderful, decent people, and they can see through the spin. they can see through the garbage. and i think that's from my point of view what happened. >> host: what did you write the book for? >> guest: the book is written basically for -- my primary audience skews enormously
9:04 pm
younger and that's why c-span -- excuse me -- why cpac, a little controversy about me speaking there because it's made by the sorts of people who really hate the president, and i think perhaps they are just offput or unsettled by my style of conservatism. which is much more relaxed bet social things, very strict about two things like urges and lahm, which they're terrified to touch and a little bit softer on the kind of like church of free enterprise. so that could populist thing that people associate with steve bannon and bright bart, i'm a product of that. and i believe in that and i believe in people's right to discuss it and defend it and actually to discuss and defend anything. >> host: let me ask you about that because seems to me and i'm
9:05 pm
sure to you like the left has gone also about crazy with the election of donald trump. >> guest: just a little. >> host: how do you explain that. >> guest: there's an earnestless -- the left invented political signs so funny to watch the daily beast and vanity fair writing maybe the left has problem with violence, too. thayer vented it. they want social change, who want to tear down institutions and replace them with ash enthey don't know. of course they're going to reach for violence when their arguments fail. >> host: trump is a big change. what is the problem? >> guest: essentially the difference, i think, between conservatives and liberals is this conservatives by their nature want to preserve things
9:06 pm
or maintain a status quo or like change that has been researched and based on reason, logic and evidence and that's in short supply in needa. the left believes in conspiracy theories, the gender pay gaap is a miss. the campus rape culture is a most. "black lives matter" stated purpose is completely uprooted by the realities of two kills whom in america. all kinds of things like that. as a journalist in britain, coming to america and imagining this is the land of the free, the -- the nation of the first amendment. i thought that perhaps foolishly, this would be the country you could be, do and say anything. and what i discovered is that is true but only if you're left wing. if you look at the beginning of the book you'll see quotes from sarah silverman and people like that. sarah silverman before she contracted feminism was a funny comedian and told great jokes
9:07 pm
about blacks, jus, gays, and everything is she is best known for screwing up on twitter because she hasn't releached something properly and she is becoming really unpopular. amy schumer was never talented or funny but had the right politics so we're instructed to find her funny and beautiful. on the cover of fashion magazine and you're not saying look at this person. you're saying, be like this person. >> host: right. >> guest: anyone in the country doesn't want to be like amy schumer, particularly after the car crash of a movie she just dipped with the poor goldie hawn who came out of retirement to be in that abob nation, and her special for netflix, the least funny thing i've seen on netflix, up against some stiff competition. and. >> host: let me ask you a question about change. >> guest: you let me get on too lina dunham. >> host: we'll come back to that. you talk about conservatives wanting to preserve things, and
9:08 pm
yet you call yourself a conservative, i think. do you consider yourself a conservative? you seem to like to change thing snooze broadly speaking. i think that any movement, any movement that -- whether it is an intel -- intellectual movement or social activist movement, requires people from all across the spectrum. so in my book i go for establishment republicans and the washington, dc types for the sorts of people who are watching this program and who are comping into this determined to hate me. by the end of it my goal is that they hate me slightly less and maybe they won't after this. conservatives have accomplished absolutely nothing to win the culture wars in the last 30 years. they have somehow managed to scramble into office but when the get there, they do nothing with it. don't achieve anything. >> are you really talking about republicans or conservatives? what's the distinction here?
9:09 pm
>> guest: i'm talking about the think tanks and magazines in washington, dc, many of the -- even some of the conservative at major publishers don't take risks, simon & schuster ran at the first sign of trouble with me. people that hate donald trump, people who say one thing and do another and whose values have drifted from what ordinary americans care about so much that it don't think the republican party, minus trump, can really claim to speak for anyone in america anymore except the super rich. the democrats are right about that. and they've done a good job of clinging on to power but they've done a really bad job of making sure that they are a powerful and a presence to be feared in the arenas that actually matter. once you get to the oval office and congress and senate, you have already lost the battle. i'm talking about hollywood, and i'm talking about the media,
9:10 pm
college campuses. >> host: how do you those things. >> guest: you do what i'm doing, get attention and start discussions. nothing in the last 30 years has done as much to raise public awareness about the whacky poll ticks on campus is the uk berkeley riots i have started. nobody has been able to generate the -- nobody has quite been able to show the left for what they really are, like me. and so that's -- this book is about how i got that stage. who else is on the chopping block, too, whether it's silicon valley, establishment republicans, various threats to free speech, as i see it as a visityear from europe. >> host: tell us howl you got here. >> guest: how do we get you back? how do we get you away? good luck. i'm getting married to somebody i love very much good luck with
9:11 pm
that. i'm their stay. >> host: that's exciting. >> guest: i will say that i started at the time telegraph, our equivalent of maybe "the new york times," the "washington post," but center right rather than center left that aare. i got a good trine in journalism, and my mentor at the telegraph was a great admirer of the way the newspaper had been in the '70s a and '8s so and i picked up a love for -- for quite subtle, sophisticated sat fire, multilayered provocation designed to outrage, amuse anded indicate. that doesn't get well in america's current public sphere where everybody is desperate to be upset about something. uc irvine issue give a talk what "black lives matter" don't care about black lives. i do so as a gay jewish immigrant with a black boyfriend
9:12 pm
dressed in police fettish gear with a giant black dildo water bottle. i don't see anything like that happening in culture. don't see any musicians taking big risks. marilyn manson, hero, should have been a trump supporter if only because of hump it would have annoyed everybody. even he crumbled and did a music video that showed hip decapitating somebody who looked like donald trump. so disappointing for me. the heroes from the '90s i grew up. if the dissent, mischievous, counterculture warriors warriore being totally unfairly pilloried by the religious right, claiming their stuff could make you violent or whatever, didn't come to the defense of trump, me, whoever you like in the broad spectrum of this new populist uprising on the right, the most interesting thing to happen in american politics which is why
9:13 pm
the left wants to call it altright and they're neo-nazis which they're not. what i found disappointing was that those heros of mine from the '90s had basically gone soft. they'd gone native. and the only exception to that is brett, who is very careful about his public pronouncements, and just for questioning established norms norms and politically correct utterances and just for observing -- he went to a dinner in hollywood where nobody admitted they were going to vote for trump but everybody was planning to. he is now yelled out when he goes out to dinner in hollywood as a racist and trump supporter. they don't do it because it will destroy their careers. so i've been very disappoint even even by hell raising. >> host: let me ask you about hell raising. you put on fabulous somehow with
9:14 pm
your fabulous outfits and one question is, how do you make sure that people hear what you're saying if they're -- they might be too busy watching what you're doing or looking at you snow how do they get past the show and you're me message? >> guest: if you watch my shows, which most people don't, and you just read the headlines and don't -- just read the headlines, listen to journalists and believe what you read on twilter and never picked up my book and never come to one of my shows i can imagine why a lot of people feel that question is pertinent. i'll give you an example. i did a show about abortion, i am, like, ravedly pro life, and i did a show about abortion, and i started it dish was dressed beautifully and i started it by handing out posters that were signed and numbered by me, like they were kind of precious merchandize, like ma don ma was giving out posters to people who mated to the front three rows
9:15 pm
but they were photos of aborted fetuses and so shocking and people would just like, what the? what? and then i came out and gave a talk that was rooted in studies, data and evidence, white while making fun of the hypocrisies of the left. i if you actually pick up a copy of the book or come to one hundred my shows it's impossible to claim that just because i initially get people's attention with shock tactics and showmanship, i there's no substance there the left wants you believe there's no substance with you and i'm a clown and an attention seeker but it is impossible to maintain that position if you actually read anything i write or come to one of my shows. >> host: let me ask you about stuff you have written. i have read your book. i loved it. it was perfect. and there are a lot of really interesting things and good statistics and examples, and so let me have you rip on a couple of things you said in the book. >> guest: sure.
9:16 pm
>> host: one thing you said was, never again let the left tell you that they're the ones fighting bigotry. they are in fact the greatest offenders. what do you mean by that? >> guest: well, what i'm seeking to do -- the reason the left hates me so much is i am kind of living disaprove of the extra central ten meants of left progressivism. one is political correctness. nothing bad happens when you crack a joke that somebody says, that's racist. no, it was funny and all my friend thought it was okay and go screw yourself, frankly. two -- the main thing totalitarians hate is the sound of laughter. the first thing to go in any authoritarian regime, i satire because they don't want you laughing at them. the thing the left hate the most -- this is why i take some credit for the tenor and the character of the populist nationalist revolution in
9:17 pm
america because i started it by being the first person who stood up in the belly of the beast at uc berkeley, uc irvine, uw-seattle, and just laughed at them. i laughed at them. their self-evidently ludicrous. believe in conspiracy theories and want to break down extraditional stereotypes, otherwise known as science, and turn themselves into wart hogs and then complain that nobody wants to have sex with them. i'm laughing at them because nobody can resist the truth wrapped in a good joke. the second thing is identity politics. in america -- america has a disease it and is that -- i never experienced this before i came here by the way. went to school with -- i went to school in london, and in london and then in kent. in the southeast of england. and nonetheless we had problem -- we had much higher rate of ethnic minorities in
9:18 pm
that school than wealthy schools in america do. so we had a lot of asians, by which i mean indian subconstant nantz. black kids in school and i'm thinking back to my school day angelo is cool and i remember he was black. but over here, you start to -- you meet somebody and you immediately start to make assumptions about them based on skin color. nbc news calls me a white nationalist. knowingly. lies, and call made white nationalist. i've got the ten-minute rant in my college talks about how i hate the stuff and i want -- if you are going to have identity politics, you have to let white people do it, too, but i'd rather nobody has is because it is poisonous and toxic when you judge people by skin color, gender, sexuality. they're not relative when it comes to politics or social poll sigh. you're white so you have no
9:19 pm
right to talk about x. this kind of stuff has infected journalism and academia and spiraling into hollywood and you see it in screens and in casting decisions only a transperson can may a trans. jay davidson, who played a transhooker in "the crying game" and think i then played rah in stargate, quit acting because the didn't like the attention help wasn't trans, but he gave one of most compelling, beautiful and brilliant portrayals of the challenges and horror of being a transgender person in america -- >> host: what is what they called -- >> guest: exactly. that happens decade before the left decided that tranies were the new big thing and everybody has to bow and scrape their pronouns. i'm sorry. this idea that what you are is more important than who you are, how you were born is more important than what you have learned, what you aspire to be, what your values are, who you
9:20 pm
are as a human being. if you took martin luther king's holiday i have a dream "speech and told college campuses it was said by trump, they'd say it was racist. seriously. intend to do so in next tour. we'll take a bunch of different quotes from black activists and say this is jeff sessions. >> host: are you doing a trolling tour? >> guest: it is called troll academy. >> host: there you go. >> guest: so, the last tour -- i don't if i'm allowed to sea the name but you can look it. the dangerous f. was designed to introduce me to american conditioning -- american college campuses and me to -- the book has sold in excess of 100,000 copies of the book. i made 1.2 million in the first month on the book. you make so much more money now. >> host: other big problem. >> guest: it's doing really,
9:21 pm
really well. astonishing well and with berkeley free speech coming out, big festival of free speech and i'm going to invite all of the people the left hate haiths the most for a week-long celebration of mischief making will do good things for the book, too. yes, the berkeley free speech is my seven-month tour. we have dates in south america and australia and london, germany, sweden, and of course, all over the united states. i think we're doing ten days in florida, ten days in california. >> host: so it's called trolling academy. >> guest: troll academy. the purpose -- well in my book, i make a distinction between trolling and mere cruelty, and in my view, trolling done correctly, for a higher purpose is intended to reveal thing that polite society went tell you or say. i think of myself-a-virtual lord, like trolling for the good
9:22 pm
lord and i will provoke -- i mean it. >> host: i thought you were -- >> guest: well, super villain is a joke. i tell jokes that only my fans get and everybody else -- everybody in america is so earnest. taking it as face value. y'all don't get irony. i get -- this is a constant -- being a european in america. it's like, i call missiles the most fabulous summer villain on the internet and nobody says i might be saying that absolutely tongue in cheek. if i were a super villain i wouldn't describe myself as fabulous. what its happening -- >> host: might have a fabulous costume. most super villains do. >> guest: i like to say i'm -- i'm wearing my few favorite tie for you. >> host: thank you very much. >> guest: even my grownup c-span outfit is fabulous. nobody in america seems to
9:23 pm
understand that the most fabulous super villain on the internet might just be a bit tongue in cheek. >> host: so trolling, tell us. >> guest: this feeds into the trolling thing. that america has forgotten how to laugh because everybody is afraid of telling good job. look at the john oliver special about alex jones. so john oliver is roasting alex jones for 22 and a half minutes. he doesn't land a single punch. doesn't tell a single good joke. i happen to like alex. i don't agree with what he says, gets some things spectacularly wrong but i think he's sincere. i did a big interview with him that has done phenomenally well. a serious sitdown between me and him. find him fascinating. whether or not he is crazily wrong, i find him as a human being fascinating and i tried to ask him the serious questions that megan kelly didn't, and i
9:24 pm
just found that people like him and me, we're performance artists to a degree. we are -- we don't mind being clownish, though i wouldn't describes as clowns. for the c-span audience the best analogy is going to be falstaff. we don't mind people laughing at us if we're the only people in the room telling the truth. nobody in the court realizes it but everybody watching the play does. the court, the american establishment don't get me. they're too stupid. american journalist their the tombest species in the world. i have met and practiced -- met journalists and practiced journalism in five different countries, and american journalist are by a clear margin the couplest people in the world. people with iqs of 95 trying to interview those with issue q -- well i won't brag and they're just not capable of understanding subtlety or nuance and where they deticket it theyite as an opportunity to cry
9:25 pm
racism. anything remotely ambiguous, i racist, sexist, for me, trolling is about sweeping away all concerns about what people might say about you or think about you. safe in the knowledge that if you tell the truth, and you do it in an entertaining way, that you will win way more fans than the media has made enemies for you. and i am proof of that. donald trump is proof of that. plenty of other people in the new populist, new right movement on the internet who are proof of that. with the exception of the president i'm the biggest permanentity in that ecosystem, but there's a lot of us. and they all have in common, there are things that even rightly in publications will brazenly and knowingly lie to the public about. and that's not okay. the reality is described by me media is the reality out there they're like this. >> host: let me ask you something, you said something really interesting in your book
9:26 pm
about media bias, which i thought was facinating, because we all talk about media bias, we face it a lot at regnery. you have faced since you came hereafter. you said that social media bias is far more dangerous than mainstream media bias. what does that mean. >> guest: are you kidding? not even close. the good news is no one trusts journalists anymore. and they're right not to trust journalists and nobody did that to them. trump didn't do it to them, i didn't do it to them. they did it to themselfed. they consistently lied by omission, misrepresented things, covered, like, wall-to-wall coverage of russia when there's no evidence of anything and then little tiny, tiny coverage of thing that americans might want to know about. you can't trust any major broadcast news network to actually tell you what is going nonyour own country. that's horrifying. and americans are responding according to the polling with their feet and with their contempt. >> host: tuning out. >> guest: they're just tuning
9:27 pm
out. look at the -- there are women who vote for trump who voted for trump who don't like the guy and when they'rer into viewed they said, well, the media went forship hard i realized something was up, and i just stopped listening to the noise. i watched him and i watched hillary, and i decided i didn't want hillary and i just stopped listening to what the press had to say. that is, i think, what is coming for every journalist everywhere if they don't raise their game and up their professional ethics. >> host: i agree. >> guest: now, that problem is nothing -- that problem is nothing compared to the threat of silicon valley and the politics which are even crazier than the politics of the mainstream media. the mainstream media is medium left, almost exclusively on everything. right? and trump is perceived as being very right-wing. i think he is center right. but because of the language he uses, he is like smashing
9:28 pm
through political correctness taboos which i love. which is why i love him so much. no secret. that's really important because he is like the -- he maybe unwittingly even is the primary defender of the first amendment in america today. there isn't a close second except perhaps for me. he is the guy who is emboldening people to say how they really feel without being afraid, and sociologist call this preference falsification. the fall of the bier lynn wall, people were like, communism is wonderful. and the minute it fell, suddenly everybody was a westerner. that's called preference falsification. people is like, i'm a filmism bur that it actually insane, man-hating bullies who tell life but i don't want to get hauled into hr. with silicon valley, look at the politics twitter which has "black lives matter" on the wall of their san francisco offices.
9:29 pm
they're figuratively and i'm sure in some cases in bed with "black lives matter" activists. look at google, who this week fired a guy for circulating a reasonable, calm, fair, totally scientifically justified in entreaty for going toll perhaps listen to other points of view. he was fired. he was fired for precisely the reason he suggested in the memo which is that google is utterly intolerant of politicked that differ from the politically correct, top-down, far left social justice consensus about feminism, "black lives matter," transgenderrism, all of the rest of it and all things about which the science is far from settled or the dat or numbers. >> host: in your book you talk about how -- not just how the people in silicon valley and people running facebook and google and twitter are crazy lefties but also how that pervades the social media that
9:30 pm
we all live on, especially everyone under 30. what is the insidious bias there. >> guest: i am patient zero with this. i was the first high profile person to get banned from twitter for being too funny and too effective. new york magazine, which is pretty far left, admitted in print there's nothing he says which steps outside the respectable, reasonable conservative mainstream. i don't think they used the words respective and reasonable because they wouldn't describe conservatives about that. he says there's nothing he says that wasn't hear on fox. just tells bitch jokes about it. a gay guy, stop the presses. they didn't ban me because of my opinions because i don't believe anything that millions of ordinary americans don't believe. i'm to clever and funny and dangerous and they had to get rid of me and wait ford know have a run-in with a black
9:31 pm
female activist, so -- it's completely offlimits. and the funny thing about that -- the reason that people like me so much is they see the gap between how i'm described and the reality, and the people who like me, my fans, went to read the review that i posted of "ghostbusters." i actually -- i defended leslie jones. in a way that many of my fans wouldn't have liked. i said, i think it's kind of sad that a black woman on tv has to do this, uh-huh, routine, this stereotypical black female character. why can't we have a woman on screen who happens to be black? no, we have to have honever doing the whole whatever routine. and i defended her. said i was sorry she was directed into that. on twitter i made fun of her because why not? journalists can't make fun of a celebrity? give me a break. was making fun of myself.
9:32 pm
i'm glad the cast a hot black do making 2014 my own sexual preferences and the fact she is ugly, which she is. now a journalist can't call a celebrity ugly. >> host: and you're kicked off of twitter for that. >> guest: in the land of first amendment and then journalists willingly lye and they're all friends of people at twitter. they willing lie to readers who say he -- do you say the same thing about justin bieber who has public hows with her? do you sea the same thing to beyoncé? it's a double standard and only applies to conservatives. so the problem of the media is sort of being solved, i think, bit the preenactor. the interview i did with npr, which they won't air because i came across it as too reasonable and likeable. bullied them into airing four
9:33 pm
minutes. i explained this stuff. the problem is, they don't really want to describe people fairly and accurately because they're worried that people might see a conservative and find them interesting and persuasive and reasonable. so they have to caricature us. i've been called sexist, racist, white nationalist, homophobic, pedophile -- >> host: let me ask you this. >> guest: -- you name it. >> host: you have a pretty interesting ally right now, somebody defending you that i wouldn't necessarily expect to see and that's the aclu. so, tell us how you and the aclu have somehow come together in a fight for free speech. >> guest: well, once everybody millennium the aclu gets it right, and dish don't mean to be mean. they approached us actually which i was impressed by, and they -- my hunch for the aclu is people actually run it are
9:34 pm
pretty sound. good on the first amendment and reasonable and fair. they have trouble keeping their troops in line because they have 25-year-old, 30-year-old activists who are crazy social justice warriors and they require the aclu to hate me or they'll quit or cause a fuss. so, we expressed our concerns about the language they were going to use about me in their whatever, and the top brass agreed and said, you're not wrong. so, they approached me. we agreed on how we were going to talk about each other, given that i hate eave position they take except for maybe this one. the higher principles involved are what matters and so you got to give them their dues, give them credit for coming to me. now, they were attempting to -- which i think have done fairly and accurately -- is show the first amendment is bipartisan and a higher principle and more important thing than any one
9:35 pm
plaintiff and any one complaint. so i am the lead plaintiff in a case that includes which sell ten week abortion pills. can't think of anything more disgusting and hideous on the planet. i think they're murderers but they should be allowed to speak, to advertise. i don't know whether they should be able to do what they're doing but since they are, they should be allowed to advertise. peta are deranged. i wanted to do a press conference and they wouldn't let me. i wanted to show up in chinchilla and leather boots and say nobody here -- nobody here agrees with anyone else on anything. i, for instance, am in a $30,000 chinchilla coat today. we can agree -- i wouldn't say that. but the opinion is that there's a higher principle and it is that the government should have no business in deciding what speech is quote unquote
9:36 pm
controversial. the government shouldn't have an opinion. and shouldn't bow to pressure four people. all the other ads were rejected but new ads weren't. we made happenings. then we put the ad ', on the washington, dc metro. they were up for ten days or some and then people started to complain and they took them down. they bowed to pressure from social justice activists and took down posters but all they -- they have such wooly guidelines. i won't quote them because they're meaningless. give them enough wiggle room to do whatever they want. the government has no business caving to activists. you're not allowed to do that. they're wrong and i'm suing them. backed by the aclu, and in the lawsuit with codefendants i hate but i think that is a co- -- co plaintiffs, rather, i hate. that's an example of how we ought to be doing things which people under ordinary circumstances would never be seen the same room together, are coming noth service of a higher principle, the first amendment. the right to be able to say and
9:37 pm
do whatever you want. by the way, the washington, dc metro, talking about controversial content and the government -- and our suit says the government shouldn't be involved in policing controversial content. my posters were pictures of my face. >> host: that's pretty controversial. >> guest: with a press quote dish don't know mitchell face is a hate crime now, apparently. maybe women were just faintingen the metro and became a health risk. >> host: swooning is the word. >> guest: but my face, a quote about me from the press and the book title. that's it. that's it. literally the least controversial thing i have ever done. the least shocking statement i've ever made is putting a picture of my face up. >> host: here's another statement. i'm interested. you said in your book that those who are frightened of speech are
9:38 pm
almost always frightened of something else. what do you think left is frightened about? >> guest: the left are frightened because they're losing, because they have -- if they have endured -- they if enjoyed complete culture dominance in all of the three major fields of culture, academia, media and hollywood, and conservatives have done absolutely nothing to win in any of those environments. in fact they haven't even bothered to show up to the fight. get these, i'm sorry if -- anybody watching this because probably c-span viewers but these overpaid, fat useless self-interested corrupt idiots, if you're watching this, who have accepted billions of dollars from rich republican donors to form these think tanks and publish these policy papers and write long essays in magazines. what have you achieved? nothing.
9:39 pm
nothing. and these people have the chutzpah to call me a clown. what does that make them? >> host: how do you -- >> guest: in two years if hey done more to first of all draw attention to the -- i mean it's even a senior state. an apocalyptic situation on american college campus. they're now systematically incapable of performing their basic function. >> host: agreed. >> guest: consecutive conservatives have done nothing to fix it. i have. so many examples of this. i have done more for -- i'm sorry to brag but people are used to it by now -- i have done more for the image of gays in what you might call real america, whether it's the midwest or the south, by being a conservative and not being cast incorrectly or ross matthews or -- >> host: oh, my god. >> guest: people on television, just being normal, funny, a bit
9:40 pm
sassy but not being a queen and having -- demonstrating it's okay if your son is gay, another not going to end up on a roof chains to a nuclear reactor and getting hauled down by police. don't have to have those politics. i really, really like -- excuse me my -- i'll rephrase dish realen joy the company of gentlemen. and i am flamboyant and i dress gay and all the rest of it sometimes, but i really like the bible and i really like -- and that's okay and i like small government, too, and i don't want to pay taxes. so these two positions taught be completely obvious. we have guns, we have, like, celebrities and the media and politicians and everybody telling us, oh, don't be to mean about islam. mean meanwhile they're killing 30 of news nightclubs and and it's its main stream muslim culture. i'm sorry to say it but it is. and the muslims who come over
9:41 pm
here the get even worse. they don't assimilate. they go the edirection. look at the stats from the uk which show success civil generations of muslims getting more more radicalized, not less. there is a problem. and nobody is talking about it. don't you think people should -- gay people should be lining up outside gun stores to protect themselves. that's just logic. this is why also so many gay people support trump because they don't care that's white house didn't issue a gushing, fawning, gay pride proclamation. we're so happy to support quality and diversity and blah blah blah. for gays with iqs above 80 they associate that with the sort or pointless pandering of the democrats. the democrats democrats who pano blacks and gays and welcome in radical islam. gay people want to see action, not words, and for donald trump
9:42 pm
to say i'm thinking about a muslim band i was applauding at the television. somebody is doing something. that's an unpopular position and not everybody is going to hold it but it is logically consistent. i've done more for -- i've dunmore for the image of gays in places like the midwest and the south, than 30 years of pandering democrats and bay charities, and after what they did following orlando picker pulse nightclub in orlando, oh, that's not let the hate win, and let's not let this turn into islamophobia. 50 of us are dead and you're worried about -- it's the job pulling. gay people won't put up with this much long are. >> host: you have an interesting list of heros. you mentioned donald trump and you and donald j. trump share a lot of those sort off disrupters. and -- butout have an interesting list of people you name in your book that you
9:43 pm
actually think of as maybe fighting the same fight and they're pretty interesting. you have margaret thatcher, madonna, tucker calson, result hall, julian assange. what do they have in common? >> guest: they all believe in free speech and free expression. now, if i had been doing what do in the '90s i would have been doing the same to the religious right that i am today to the progressive left. i've come over here as visitor from europe and i am socially conservative. fine. but i would have come over -- probably fiscally very conservative but i identified what i believe are the threats to free expression and free speech and i i've done that by saying outrageous stuff and watching to see who gets upset. and although the establishment
9:44 pm
republicans don't like me because the don't like the sight of the party crumbling beneath them. they did that to themselves by ignoring their own voters and by. i you hear some of the stuff bill chris -- crystal says when he doesn't think anybody is working and a person would works in a family, think people do not represent the vote erred at all, even little bit. if you -- just amazing to me. i've been here two years, year and a half and i seem to have a better grasp on ordinary americans care about and these people are paid to know. but what always these people have in common -- on the fly low of the book i list skeletor and darth vader, too. they are all -- they all had a natural disposition to irritate the establishment. in their own ways, with varying
9:45 pm
degrees of substance they all accomplished something. i don't like the fact that donald trump clearly doesn't read. he doesn't read books. and i don't think he has much of a grasp of politics and detail. neither did reagan but his instincts are great. and there are other things like about him enough for me to be a fan. i don't like the fact he doesn't read. i'm not going lie. but other people on my list do read. marilyn manson, much smarter than dish think everybody nose knows by now. the shock job persona, there's a lot of thought that has gone into marilyn manson, the creation. and i think the more that it make inroads into doing interviews like this, the more that people realize the saming going on with me. madonna is a brig -- brilliant business woman and she -- to be
9:46 pm
hospital, i don't think this is too hubris. if you imagine madonna in the '90s, her videos banned by mtv it was irresist able. and because the video was great and the music whereas great but mtv was banning it for reasons everybody under 40 thought what stupid. that is really what turned her into aing me mega star? who is the closest to that today? me. >> host: sounds right sunny think it's truism think i'm the madonna in the 90s. it's not a major -- it's not a major mainstream media broadcast. i haven't been interviewed once, not once. barnes & noble, we had to fight them to get my book even in stock. and they had these great outbutons where the staff
9:47 pm
couldn't order it. real shady stuff going on over there. >> host: but actually -- you can turn that into great media. people respond to that. >> guest: of course i did. of course i did. i have a very interesting phone call i recorded that i made it to of vice president of public affair which i will drop if they keep misbehaving and that is a threat. all of these hill to climb and i didn't believe -- you know this from regnery better than anybody. this hills you have to climb as a conservative or someone who is conceived as a conserve perspective versus a liberal. i've had no mainstream interviews or book reviews, never on television. >> host: yet the second or third week your book was out, it was number -- you were the number one selling book in the country. >> guest: oh, well, the number one selling book in the country in week three and "the new york times" put me at number five on
9:48 pm
the charts. the describe me as an at alt right -- you can read the book if your interested in why i think that but what it demonstrates is that not only -- they're not reading it and disagreeing with it. >> host: they have a narrative they -- >> guest: too dangerous. haven't opened a copy of one of their own best selling books. "the new york times" is printing the "new york times" bestseller list and nobody in the building has opened a copy of it. >> host: well, this happens to regnery all the time and we're familiar with that. >> guest: i sent them five. i sent them five. >> host: in the end, i'm not sure it matters anymore. it used to matter a lot more.
9:49 pm
i'm not sure it matters anymore. >> guest: think of it this way. conservatives have this, like, optimistic view of things, but two things i would say. if the press gave me the same kind of love, attention, and lavish praise, which they defer to lina dunham and amy schumer, completely undeserved on the basis of nothing, talented wart hog. if they gave me that level of gushing attention -- i'm the same just with different politics -- inwon't have sold a how many hundred thousand booked. i would have sold a million because my book is actually good and their stuff is trash. if simon and schuster hadn't wrongly terminated or contract because they said that -- one they day were gloriously happy with the manuscript and the next day, unfit for publication. really? no. they did a calculation, i think. they said we're going to lose so much liberal business from
9:50 pm
hanging on to this guy, even though the book will be successful and profitable, there's a huge risk here you ain't titled to do that so you have to pay. there's not a provision for that in contract for you making an estimate of the effect on your other business elsewhere you. don't get to do that. >> host: you were supposed to do that before you signed the contract in the first place. >> guest: exactly. in the contract, the legal document they specifically refer to me is a controversial and a provocateur. if that hadn't happened, imagine how many more copy wood have sold. we had 75 or hundred thousand preorder when simon and schuster canceled the book and that was in february and the book wasn't out until june. i would have ha 200,000 preorder. one ol' the biggest books of the century. would have been colassal.
9:51 pm
i have against all the odd turned this into a "new york times" best seller and by the time i'm done with it, i'm just saying by the time i'm done with it i will make sure, do everything dish will do whatever it takes to make sure i sell 250,000 copies of the book and we're well on course to doing that. just so that i can show people the purchase orders from the distributors because the book scan numbers are so far under and my book in particular sells heavily in ebooks and a lot direct because -- >> host: it's actually a really interesting publishing story. i've been in publishing conservative books for 20 years and it's fascinate snag nobody covers it. >> host: we're covering it. >> guest: in fact magazines -- for the first time -- publishers weekly, the book seller, have only published stories about disappointing sales numbers and about the fact -- and they're such liars. they see the book scan numbers
9:52 pm
and don't add up to what i said, not realizing this book has vastly disproportionately sold directly to assume because -- to consumers because we make more money that way. my audience otherwise so young and all have kindles and they'll buy them on their iphones and this kind of stuff. so, they kind of like try to insinuate that i'm lying about the numbers. i have the reports from the miami print and distribute or books and i know how many we sold. made 1.2 million in month one. >> host: tell me this. you respect people who read, as do i, what your favorite book? >> host: besides you're own. not allowed to say that. >> guest: it would be -- city the book i would page up and read over and over again -- i'll answer in a couple of different categories.
9:53 pm
politics, i think ann coulter is so underrated as a pundit because nobody reads her books and only see her kind of stirring the pot on tv. >> host: we sold a couple hundred thousand of adios, america. >> guest: of course, conservatives read her books, but i'm saying her critics don't read her books. and as a result, i don't think anyone realizes how funny she is. so funny. and she is just the funniest conservative. i pale in comparison to her. >> host: the great thing about ann is she is funny and also substantive. she has a lot of -- she works really hard and has a lot in her book. >> guest: she is like -- she has the same thing have, the same thing steve bannon has, she's a juggernaut. she is unfazed by the mash nations and -- machinations of
9:54 pm
the left. she is a best several because she is funny and smart and because she just doesn't give a hoot. say what you want, i'm in the right, you're an idiot, and every time she is on tv she demonstrated it. she is very underrate. as far as philosophy, i like kirkagaard. . >> host: give me a quick thumbs up, thumbs down, all right? thumbs up, thumbs down. bill ma mahr. >> guest: thumbs up. he has the bravery -- i wouldn't mind being -- that's not a bad as separation. his show gets three million-four million. mind would get 30. he is fighting with other left-wing hosts.
9:55 pm
nothing on tv for conservatives. >> host: thumbs up. >> guest: so, thumbs up for him. brave enough to tell the truth about free speech and islam. >> host: sarah palin. >> guest: i'm so sorry. i can't hear you. >> host: that's okay. said sarah palin. >> guest: i love her. i love her. >> host: thumbs up. >> guest: i've met her. i think she is funny and genuine and serious. she was thrown into a world that maybe she didn't know how to operate and very badly managed and very badly assisted. i think she was -- >> host: and -- sunny think she what sabotages from the right and left, both sides. i think she is the person treated perhaps the most up fairfully public life after me. i think she's great. >> guest: colin kaepernick.
9:56 pm
>> guest: next. >> host: is that a thumbs down. >> guest: i don't mind a bit theater and drama but i want some substance and he has nothing. nothing to say. when you listen to him, he irparrotting talking points he read on the internet. gar gage. the only reason is jersey sales went up us so people could burn them. >> host: i like that statistic. here's one. the pope. >> guest: that was a mean question. >> host: thank you. >> guest: you're paying me back for something. i don't know -- how much am i allowed to say without being ex-communicated. the previous pope, benedict, was my favorite. >> host: a big thumb up. >> guest: a deeply, deeply religious intelligent brilliant theologian. beyond my understanding in many ways. spiritual and kind and decent and wonderful. i think the previous pope was tremendous. this pope seems to crave -- i think this pope wants to be the
9:57 pm
new new john paul ii. doesn't have the charisma or intelligence and he seems to run his mouth about things in a very unhelpful way. he is also -- he perhaps also is being badly managed and badly advised because he has people around him -- a good idea to -- imagine this, right? you're the pope, head of communication and you're telling the poach it's a good idea to eave go at trump about wall when you live in the vatican? >> host: i know you gave thumbs up to trump. but here's my question and maybe my last question for you. we're talking earlier, you and he are both disrupters. how does the disrupter -- can a disrupter succeed as president in how does a disrupter succeed and what do you see for the future of donald trump? >> guest: so you have a structure problem in this country. the american system, the political system, works really, really well with the exception
9:58 pm
of the president. maybe it's supposed to be like this but let's just say it's a quirk. inherent in the system. in europe we have a constitutional monarchy which means you vote for the ceo but the president is the front of the house, is the monarch and that's the best system to be honest. in france you have an elected president and elected prime minister, and the president has all of the trappings of monarchy and the expense that comes with it, but doesn't really seem to be much point to their existence sometimes, and it really ends up just sort of being -- like x american president -- ex-american presidents who cost the taxpayers millions. it's like the french signature president. the president and the ceo are the next person. the guy who projects the -- projects his politics and
9:59 pm
personals and represents america on the world stage and also runs the government. makes decisions about the inner workings of the federal government. that's a problem. because everybody who gets elected to the presidency is only really good at one of those jobs. trump is a spectacular president for -- in my view, i think he is spectacular at projecting things that americans have been lifting for so long. strength, america first, that kind of stuff. people will be very wide range of opinions on that. he people think is is a clown and misspeaks. yeah, yeah, yeah, but i like that think that trump supporterred take higher principle him seriously negotiate literally, and everybody else take him literally and not seriously. the trump supporters are getting it right. i like him as president of the country, as ceo and i don't think his natural disruptive instincts which work rhetorically on the campaign
10:00 pm
trail and the presidential side of his role are not well suited to navigating the corrupt, mess of washington, dc. >> host: which is interesting because he was a ceo, a businessman. >> guest: ceo of his own company. structured how he wanted it. of a company that actually functioned, unlike the federal government which doesn't. mr. ...
10:01 pm
>> there is active suppression on the search results if you search for american adventures on american google you get women and black people but not invented the telephone they want to know the people who invented the stuff around them. >> they want to know what the kids were supposed to learn in first grade. >> in school who made the computer or the lightbulb? but in this particular incident or interview but none
10:02 pm
of those people come up when you search on google in english but if you search from google spain where they don't do the social justice garbage you get bell, edison einstein not the obscure no-name minor people please of i have to hire him -- hear anything more about the abacus woman, what is her name? the supposed inventor of the computer? give me a break. ada lovelace? >> you are always entertaining always provocative and wonderful a very successful
10:03 pm
near times best-selling author congratulations on that and on making a difference to take us in a better direction. we appreciate it even though we don't say thank you. thank you. >> even if it is thankless i will carry on until i drop dead. >> much more has been going on beneath the service the past five years. those that have been persecuted without due process for example families that the
10:04 pm
ambassadors to cuba and malaysia were sent to prison camps and nobody knows if they are now alive or dead. from the former ambassador to sweden and to unesco. forced to return to pyongyang and expelled from the foreign ministry but while on the surface the kings regime seems to have consolidated his power simultaneously there are great and unexpected changes taking place within north korea. the free markets are flourishing. as more and more people get used to the market the socialist economic system becomes increasingly forgotten
10:05 pm
about the welfare system of north korea has collapsed and millions of civil servants and army officers and security forces are dependent on bribes and investments of state assets for their survival. citizens don't care about the propaganda about increasingly watch people get south korea's movies but that some of the control is weakening as the day goes by. during the arab spring mary expert on -- many experts said for these events to take place in north korea but however it makes it increasingly possible to think about the civilian uprising in north korea.
10:06 pm
d7 let's start with the original conscience of a conservative written for goldwater the original red white and blue get burns in my mind. and with putting goldwater on the path are you trying to tell us something? >> no. it is a tribute to washington goldwater

22 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on