Skip to main content

tv   After Words Scott Kelly Endurance  CSPAN  February 23, 2018 11:01pm-12:01am EST

11:01 pm
has the anointed apostle of god and his confidence in himself as a vehicle and that because you didn't have pain in that moment that she's healed and his. dramatic approach to faith healing is one i am bound to be somewhat manipulative. >> sunday night in a p.m. eastern on c-span's q&a. i'm next on the tvs "after words" astronaut scott kelly recalls his year aboard the international space station in other voyages into space. he's interviewed by charles bolden. "after words" his weekly interview program with relevant guest host interviewing top nonfiction authors about their latest works. >> host: scott, how you doing today? >> guest: i'm doing great.
11:02 pm
>> host: i'm not a big reader brought by her book. i found it to be inspiring, informative and inspiring. i'm just wondering if you could tell me the way that i was touched by your book if there is something that did a similar thing to you they got you on the track from your wayward life. >> guest: i guess we -- i will start to answer your question further back in that is when i was a kid growing up i was the opposite kid you expect to become an astronaut because it wasn't a good student and i couldn't pay attention in class, absolutely impossible for me to do that and i was a kid in the back of the room looking out the window or looking at the clock trying to will it run faster and i did that more than anything else. i went to college because it was expected of me to go to college and i still struggle there and one day i was walking across the school campus, the college
11:03 pm
campus and i happen to go to the bookstore by gum or something, not a book, it wasn't a big reader europe i thought this book on the shelf and had a red, white and blue cover in a cool title and it made me pick it up and i looked at the back and was interested enough that i took might go money to purchase the book and to get back to my dorm room and laid there for the next three days on my unmade dorm room made bed and read about the pilots became the gemini and astronauts. the way tom wrote it captured my attention and creative, nonfiction kind of way and i felt like i was in the moment and i also recognized characteristics that these guys had to like i had, too. the one exception was i was a kid who couldn't do his homework
11:04 pm
i thought you know what, i can solve that one problem and maybe i can be like them someday. >> host: one of the things i found exciting about the book is it's incredibly candid and very personable and was that purposeful or did you start out that way. >> guest: first of all i think i have a reputation of being a straight shooter sometimes a little blunt and maybe someone would think too blunt at times but i did that purposely because what i found when i read other people's stories whether astronaut stories or even some who aren't involved in the space program that they write an autobiography they include all the good stuff and you think do people is that what their lives are like in that you're always a straight a student and always the best athlete and there's nothing negative in negative in life and to tell the complete story that would be very believable and you have to
11:05 pm
include some of the grinch were the moments in your life and stuff that is in the greatest. that helps validate the goods. >> host: i get you. you remarked that your high school principal that he never up on you and out of curiosity i have teachers like that and one of the things i regret is that i didn't go back and think of. have you had the opportunity to be in touch with them since getting into the restaurant office or lunches or anything -- tells the relationship with [inaudible] >> guest: never did give up on me. even though i was a bad student in high school and graduated in the bottom half of my class despite that he still nominated me to go to new jersey because he recognized this guy has leadership potential potential
11:06 pm
school work but something so despite my bad grades let me do that and i kept in touch with him and even my other teachers that i was embarrassed to say i was a nurse to say i didn't learn a lot from them but it had nothing to do with them but anything to do with me but i kept relationships over the years and some came to my shuttle launches that i had. >> host: is he still the principal? >> guest: he became the school superintendent and now is retired. >> host: let me come back to your family. your mother, my mom and teachers and inspired me but your mom you said was an inspiration and role model to you and your twin brother, mark. would you do me a favor and take your book there and would you share with us a little bit that you say about the decision to get on the new jersey police
11:07 pm
department what she had to do and pick and choose as you will? >> guest: this is great because people will hear in my own voice so they don't have to buy the audiobook, too. >> host: i found the audiobook was better than reading it. [laughter] >> guest: yeah, which is not easy, by the way gordon audiobook when you're not a professional narrator. when i was 11 my mother decided to become a cop and i will paraphrase here but she was this regular mom and my brother and i were getting older and she wanted to have a career more like my father father was a peace officer and she was a stereotypical new jersey cops and tnt during the day and i write a lot of male police officers would have felt threatened by the thought of their wife trying to become officers, as well, but not my
11:08 pm
father. to his credit he encouraged her and my mother study for the civil service exam which took time and effort and after she passed that she had to take a physical fitness test and thomas part was a wall where she would have to scale 7 feet, 4 inches in knowing that my father built a practice wall a bit higher than the real one at first she couldn't touch the top and it took her a long time before she was able to jump up and grab the top of the wall. eventually she was able to pull yourself up and get a leg over and by phoning this technique and practice sessions every day she got to where she could scale that wall on the first try every time. the day of the test she skilled the wall better than most of the men. she became one of the first women to pass this test and it made a big impression on mark and me. she decided on a goal that seems like a minor be possible and she achieved it through sheer physical force of determination and the support of people around her. i still haven't found a goal
11:09 pm
that will give me that same cabin drive but i have seen what that would look like. my mother made a huge impression on me and she was quite the lady. >> host: how old were you at the time? >> guest: mark and i were 11 and she had us when she was 18 and 19. >> host: you learn differently than for most kids but you learned at an early age -- >> guest: yeah, as a matter fact. >> host: let me ask you if you would share as you grew up and you finally decided he wanted to find a path in your life and your gone to the marine academy and i read that you decided to give it a shot and he went and it was a superintendent of the dean and can you talk about your disappointment at being told no way. >> guest: i figured after i read
11:10 pm
the right stuff. out how to do my homework i was on my way and i went to my brother's college told them came here and my brother has been doing great getting straight a's and the guy sat me down and talk to me and literally record and basically said no way. these grades in school and the sat score you're not getting in here and i was crushed and i don't think i started crying but i was probably pretty close and i thought that was my opportunity to get into the navy but then i picked myself up and brushed myself off and figure out other options and eventually i went to school there was a perfect fit for me. for one it wasn't as challenging is king's point was academically but it also had a military environment that i needed. i needed that discipline. it was a place that had a state university of maritime college which is in the bronx and i couldn't have found a better place for me to be able to grow
11:11 pm
and develop and become eventually the young and sign in the united states navy. >> host: share with us about i know you've been impressed right stuff in the astronaut but what took you from new york maritime to the decision that what the hell, i will apply to the national program and talk about the road to that point. >> guest: for me it was the singer had in my mind is reading the book but it wasn't something that was real yet. even if i became a test pilot i served for a few years as an f-14 pilot line the tomcat and got pretty good at that and applied to test pilot school and was surprised that i got selected the first time i applied and went off to become a test pilot and then i was going about my life thinking that i
11:12 pm
would do this for a few years and go on back to the navy and fly the f-14 for a while and maybe ten years on the road i might have the qualifications and experience to be competitive to come and become an astronaut in one day sitting in my cubicle and one of my key mates is working on a stack of papers and asked what was in -- not application and i asked him what it was doing he said in a few days and i thought to myself what the hell. i'm just going to fill out the opposite of his application, send it down there and hopefully i will get a call but i wasn't expecting anything and i was quite surprised when eventually i had called for an interview. >> host: during the week you talk about your wardrobe for interview. >> guest: my brother had a much different path than i did so when we were in eighth grade our dad that is down and said look, guys, you are not college material and and start looking
11:13 pm
into vocational training and my brother was like but wait i want to go to college and immediately started getting straight a's i on the other hand had no recollection of this conversation because there was probably a squirrel running outside and i was looking at it. so, yeah, he became a native navy pilot and he was a test pilot at the same time i was even though i play catchup for a while got a call to be interviewed but he didn't have a suit and knew i had one because i just been to a friends wedding so i looked him a suit and he goes down to houston, interviews, has his interview, comes back and gives my suit back and a month later nasa called me and told her brother and i was shocked, by the way, that i got called. first i thought they maybe wanted to talk to him again and he called me and told her brother you've got to buy me a new suit because how ridiculous
11:14 pm
would that look if we showed up in the same clothes and mark was a chief navy lieutenant and said something like i don't think i can say on tv although it is cable-tv but i will say it anyway and it ended up with me wearing the same exact suit for the interview which was in some ways a blessing in disguise because i walked into the room and i'm sure you've been on the board before and you have certainly interviewed for but you get to tell your story the first thing i said was this looks familiar, you have seen this soup before. i had the only suit that has gotten selected to be an astronaut, twice. >> host: he finally got selected and you go through the astronaut candidate training you get assigned to your first mission and it's one that i have fond feelings for having left hubble orbit not in the way it should have been but yours was the
11:15 pm
third servicing mission and having been a part of that mission and having to become an official hubble hugger talk to me about what you believe the legacy of hubble is or does it have a look. >> guest: i think it is incredible. it's been up there, you know better than i -- >> host: twenty-seven years getting to 30. >> guest: doing that kind of science on a daily basis and letting not only the scientists experiment the data they get but which is most of the stuff you don't see but also the public engagement that is provided and let people get a sense for where we are in the universe which is pretty insignificant if you consider those images, i think it's been a great success and it was a great first mission for me.
11:16 pm
when i was writing the book i realized that i read that book, the right stuff, and almost 18 years to the day, 18 years later i was fine his face for the first time and not only that and not i don't even write about this in the book but it was i was the first american in my class of 35 people and for a kid that probably had add and couldn't do his homework that's pretty remarkable almost i don't believe it myself. >> host: i am certain you probably felt okay now but ready to go by again however got a big bump in the road and we lost columbia in the can you talk a little about the role you play in the post accident recovery and preparation for the return flight?
11:17 pm
>> guest: when that day happened which was the very first, 2003 i was at home watching the landing on tv and on those low inflammation flights are not going to go into much detail here but that exactly means what it means when the shuttle is coming home it has a very likely possibility to fly over houston and where you can actually see it depending on the time of the day he could see the shuttle reentry earth atmosphere and a look inside for it, saw flashlight and thinking that was probably some emmis. went back inside the realized that we had had a tragic accident for the second time and. my classmates were on the flight, for seven of our colleagues and former colleagues and then a couple of days along with my other coworkers, many of them in the area of the crash which was in eastern texas and
11:18 pm
how ironic it was of all the places the space shuttle could crash it crashes within a two-hour drive of houston where the live and it was a tough time and sad and i had to ride back with [inaudible] to the air force base -- i was the escort and very moving but just out trying to recover the remains o- >> host: what about the response to the public. you mentioned in the book just the people who came out wanting to volunteer and that must've had some, hopefully positive impact on your opinion about people in the program. >> guest: yes, so heartwarming to see the support that people in that area but also in the nation and around the world gave us when that accident occurred
11:19 pm
and not a christmas goes by where i'm not putting money into the salvation army been or pot, kettle, because after the columbia accident i realized the great work that they do. they showed up immediately and it was taking care of the people and giving them coffee in the places to sleep if they needed it. all kinds of support, not asking anything in return. >> host: we lost challenger ten days after i landed for my first flight and i remember what went through my mind. do you think about leaving the house cannot office after the accident and if not, why not? >> guest: i never did. even after challenger i had a friend of mine he knew i wanted to be an astronaut and said is this going to change your mind or give you pause about this and he thought this might you know, i believe in nassau and our ability to do the incredible things when we put our minds to it and i know this is risky and it's a tragic accident especially for people that were
11:20 pm
directly involved in the families but i do believe in nassau enough that i know that we can rise to the occasion and we can make this safer than it was in the flu and it will never be a safe, a 100% reliable but never cross my mind wants to leave. >> host: for a kid that anybody who may be watching the makes you thank you got to do everything right all the time can you go back in beyond the test pilots when you were young pilot with [inaudible] and you were not the age of the base can you share complaints that how did i get here? >> guest: initially and my brother tells share some of the words he says and it's how good you are at something when you started is no reflection on how good you can become with hard work, perseverance, never giving up and that is always been the case with me, i think.
11:21 pm
i wasn't the best student in the beginning but i became a good student eventually appeared out how to deal with whatever issues i had and i wasn't the best pilot at first but eventually especially back in those days i think there are a lot more close calls because people are careless at times and i certainly was not immune to that so i had a number of occasions where i almost killed myself and in my backseat are in if you wake up you wake up calls but there despite the fact that i have thousands and thousands hours of flight time now that i did then there are things that i did then there would never do in a million years now in an airplane now that i got older but i had those cases of wine on the ship at night and getting disoriented and distracted and having the guy in the back yelp
11:22 pm
pull up and pull back on this deck and you look at the output and the vertical speed indicator showing you how pleased we were descending and realizing we were less than 15 seconds from crashing into the water be one of those guys and i was definitely it's not the best of things but i was able to get pretty good at the end. >> host: perseverance and persistence. you're a career pilot your cable officer, trained to take on any enemies that may come in the phone all over the world, persian gulf, asia and your second flight actually send you to the international space station taking your crew up there where all of a sudden now you will be working with these guys that i trained and what was some of those thoughts about going to station and working with the russians?
11:23 pm
>> guest: my early exposure was even earlier than that because i was head of nasa in star city for nine months and i trained as the backup on expedition five so i had some exposure to working with the russians before i flew in space to the space station but what i have always found is that first impressions are often not correct and with working with the russians i have a few observations. one is that despite their gruff exterior which i think i may be a victim of having a similar thing at times they are, when you become friends with them it's much easier to become very, very close friends with the russian person that happens much quicker than it does, i think, in our culture then the friendship is stronger and more, you know, rich which is odd
11:24 pm
when you are doing this with a person that you use to consider your enemy. as i spent more and more time and space with cosmonauts and spent more time working with the russians in the space program you know people would ask do you let conflict like it we have now in our country and on earth that is between us and russia is that affect our ability to operate in creaking in space and the answer is absolutely not. we rely on each other as friends and colleagues and in some cases, literally relying on others for our lives and that supersedes any kind of clinical discourse that is going on on her. we were talking about these things at times but almost as if you are talking in an abstract way like to other countries like china and germany versus our own. >> host: because you mentioned in the book sensitive and people may think i'm being crude but
11:25 pm
you mentioned your marriage to leslie and the difficulty the entire time it lasted. when you finally decided that okay the right thing to do is [inaudible] and you had samantha and charlotte what were the impact on them and how did you deal with that to try to help them work their way through? >> guest: it was very hard. i struggled even talking about that in the book because it's a very personal thing, not only between me but also with my kids in my ex-wife. i came to the conclusion, again, that i didn't want -- i had this 17 year marriage and two children and you can't make believe that didn't happen and i thank you need to be fair to the truth. the way i handled it, i hope i handled it well, i'm not sure
11:26 pm
how leslie feels about it but i hope she thanks i was fair in this description. you know, i talked about her in the credits and hopefully a way that she might appreciate and you know, i understand it does hurt the kids the most, absolutely. >> host: but then you talk about someone who came into your life and seems to have made an absolutely tremendous difference, not just to you but to the girls, i think. can you talk about me go and what effect she has had on your life since she came into it as your partner? >> guest: yeah, so after my divorce leslie i'm in a relationship with [inaudible] who used to work at nassau in public affairs and she was there for 20 years and we started dating in 2,002,910 -ish and we have been together ever since and now we are engaged and she
11:27 pm
was a very big part of my last two flights which is 500 days of 520 days may she was there with me and she gently made it a better experience and i think i was lucky to have her, especially because the social media thing was becoming so such a big deal and it left a huge hit the left put me to work on something with her that was fun in space that had real-time feedback and especially for the year-long flight it helped my is a large part of my psychological support to have this project to work on with her together that have this consequences and feedback. >> host: let me put you back on the station again and talk about
11:28 pm
another trying time in your life and you are blowing along in your first long-duration mission and you get a call from the ground where you see your sister-in-law, the congressman, can you give her has been shot. what went through your mind and how did you deal psychologically because you weren't coming home or the next day and what challenges -- >> guest: it's challenging when you hear your brother's wife, someone important to me was a shot in a violent, most shootings are pretty violent and i don't know you can't have a shooter without violence but to be a victim of such violence and sense of violence where six other people were killed including a ten -year-old girl others injured and she sustained
11:29 pm
significant injuries and then later i was told she had passed away when i was in space and i really got on the phone with my brother and talk to him as much as i can and try to support him as best i could. it tooi took time for myself bus commander of the space station and i had a job to do. eventually i tried to compartmentalize a separate what was going on on earth with what was my responsibilities in space and try to focus as much as i could on that but at the same time take care of my brother. it was actually, i wouldn't say it was a serendipitous kind of thing but it was allowed me to cut the cord a little bit with my two fellow crewmates that were up there and let them run with some of the stuff because they had been there for a couple of months at that point and i was going to leave them couple of months later. that was a good thing that
11:30 pm
allowed me to set them free, a little bit, but it is not easy. that's the worst part about being in space for a long time. it's not your personal risk or worrying about what could happen to you but what could happen to your family on earth with no way to come home. ...
11:31 pm
>> but in the and she really made the decision. that despite her inner jury mom -- injury to realize this was important to the crew they would have to start all over with a new commander and in the end to be on the fence of this was the right thing. >> and to be an international tragedy to get a call from president putin that you have a passage in your back on -- in your book where you question so do you mind sharing that with u us. >> i didn't get a call from president putin but actually
11:32 pm
at a conference the next day for all three astronauts and cosmonauts and i was moved a little bit he spent most of the time talking to me to say we support you the russian people are behind you and this tragedy and dedicated most of the conversation to me to make sure i was okay. to read a little bit of what i said after she was shot during a moment of silence to say this over the radio to the control center and whoever else was listening i like to take some time to recognize the moment assignments in honor of the victims of the tucson shooting tragedy. first to say a few words from the vantage point here from the international space
11:33 pm
station is a look out the window see a beautiful planet that seems inviting and peaceful unfortunately it is not. these days reminded of those unspeakable acts of violence and damage we can inflict on one another not just with our actions but irresponsible words and we are better than this and we must do better. then i go want to talk about our moment of silence. i said this january 2011 and some of what i said is so much more applicable today. >> so to come back from your first iss mission that some
11:34 pm
people thought you were crazy was the one year mission and you are finally selected but you are working with the doctors with high psa and you are diagnosed with prostate cancer in the medical guys decide you are not medically qualified we will take you off the crew. what went to your mind and what pushed you to fight and appeal that decision to get yourself put back on? >> actually i had prostate cancer retreatment last shuttle flight 2007 and a starred i started training for my first long-duration flight now as you know nasa does attest very young somebody may wonder you are very young to be diagnosed with prostate but we get it so young are a bunch that have had prostate cancer
11:35 pm
at a young age because we are tested for it. so i went to the process to have it removed which is not fun but very effective and it works so well i went to fly in space 500 days after i had cancer before that 20 days after it was challenging to get the russians to approve that but they finally did but specifically what you are talking about is the case where of year-long flight in the very next day i was unassigned. so why come home i say that didn't last long. i said they took me off the flight. why? i said i had some effects of my vision and they thought
11:36 pm
that it was too risky we will assign somebody that has no effects on their eyes and she says aren't they trying to learn more about this? isn't that one of the reasons we are doing this? i said yes then why would they have somebody that is the view to it? you will not learn anything from them. i said that is a pretty good point. she said i have never seen you give up so easily. i spent the whole night going through all of my medical records of the stack is high because a recently retired from the navy and they give them to you so i did some research then the next day i made my case and to my shock nasa said you have a good point. you are back. >> you talk a lot about
11:37 pm
individual crewmembers and you can pick as many as you want for the crew that seems to stand out with yours respect and aberration were both non-americans. can you talk about each of them or what made them so unique to be distinct or what was it that made them stand out? >> i had a great experience with everyone on the crew. that has been the case i've been in space with 40 people i have gotten along with all of them. everybody stands out in their own ways but samantha her technical mind combined with the ability for languages
11:38 pm
normally they have one side of the brain or the other so she really stood out in that way but also she was the only woman for the entire year i was there which when you realize you will not be around a woman again for nine months not in a weird way but just to recognizably a bunch of guys, but to be such a professional and so nice and the nice guys kind of like the elder statesman of the cosmonaut office at the time and was different than some of the other guys with his perspectives that i write in the book how he went to visit
11:39 pm
this memorial for a person killed in russia and the guy was a political enemy of putin and he had a lot of respect for him i have respect for that guy and i can show that by visiting this memorial. but all the people that i flew with were great that is the best thing about flying in space it is in the periods but the people. >> in your two long-duration flights you saw a lot of vehicles coming go and generally many were commercial like the new breed but they represented what they called new space. what was your impression and how did you come away in terms
11:40 pm
of the future of those efforts and the role that commercial space will play and private entities will play in future exploration? >> how companies like boeing or spacex how they are developing is right along the plans for commercial organizations to take over access lower orbit than that could free up resources and funds or nasa to do other things and explore our solar system. so i think it is great. originally i was skeptical when they said they would land the first age on a barge in and will never see that again. some say he is ambitious but i would never doubt him again
11:41 pm
when he says he will do something. that is exciting to think we are on the cusp of a real moment in human head history were access to space will become much more available in the coming years. recently i saw they are not kidding around they are serious about flying in space i suspect that as time goes on hopefully that will get more people in space to have this incredible experience with industry in space and nasa to be on the path of great exploration. >> you talked frequently about the challenges technical and otherwise during your time and space. can you talk about what you feel was the greatest challenge on the station
11:42 pm
itself? you talk about the physical and mental stressors. >> there is a lot of life-support systems to focus on because if you go to mars and you cannot fix it if you cannot process your urine into water you cannot survive we need to use the space station as a platform to taste low -- to test that philosophy how long can we make that go with this volume of spare parts? i think cot needs to be looked at what we are as low as we can get it that is acceptable but that fluctuates greatly and i do think nasa is looking at new technologies of how to improve that but the life-support system equation
11:43 pm
not going to mars is what we need to focus on and think about more especially with the space station to practice. i think the psychological human side a lot of that is figured out certainly radiation will be a challenge we need to solve that problem. from a psychological perspective when we were talking about this at dinner if we were on her way to mars we could not look out the window to see earth it would be daylight all the time for months and months and that is a whole different psychological experience. >> now when you talk about that psychological stressor if you leave the planet you look back every day becomes a
11:44 pm
smaller and smaller.. and your ability to talk to people at home becomes increasingly difficult. >> and eventually goes away. >> how do we train ourselves to deal with that or conditioner cells to be ready? >> we have talked about it. i haven't done experiments like that but we have discussed it. they have talked about putting us in one module with the russians getting their second closing the hatch on this for one year i was not too keen on that. but i think it comes down to picking the right people that can deal with stress and adversity. having flown in space with a
11:45 pm
lot of people there are certain personalities that are good for short one --dash shuttle flights it has to be perfect all the time you can't do that all the time over six months so little different personality to prioritize a little differently or focus on what is important that has to be her the stuff that isn't let it go. that trait will be very helpful to people in space. >> as a pilot coming in just like i did with there's only two of us but now everybody you get a number of them can you talk about what surprised you what were the difficult part you thought would be a piece of cake and now you realize it is hard?
11:46 pm
>> you do all this training in the pool and it isn't exactly like space because gravity still affects you you are neutrally poignant but still affected in the suit which makes things harder with the friction with the water in it makes the suit harder to but easier to stop because in space clearly gravity doesn't affect us in the same way so you float in the suit that the magnitude of what you are doing and the attention that every action requires for that length of time in the physical aspect, i thought it was harder than the training you do in the pool i would say they need to bump up the trading a notch because at least the first two that i did were really, really challenging i was apprised how
11:47 pm
easy it is to get lost on the outside of the space station it is pretty big and dark and how incredible earth looks from the suit much more impressive than the bulletproof glass through the space shuttle or how hot it is outside or how cold when you are touching things even to those gloves you can feel the heat of the metal were just deep cold and the contrast of that as the sun goes down is shocking so the damage on the outside of the station like old holes and the handrails it was like the overwhelming experience. >> between spacewalks was there sufficient time to let
11:48 pm
fingers or toes get healed? >> yes. definitely between my first and second which was only one week you are still a little sore in places but it was good enough. some people their fingernails falloff and never grow back with the difficulty of working in the gloves which is a challenge. >> you mentioned now that i know i will never go back, never say never but with no immediate intention here are some things that i learned or that i missed or learned to appreciate and you run through the short list of some of those you can use the book if you want.
11:49 pm
>> just trying to think of the really important one but the importance of diversity and the team. the navy basically a bunch of white guys and not until i went to nassau that i started to work with people from other ethnic cities or genders or countries and just having a group or a team with all the different backgrounds and experiences and perspectives whether they were from cultural perspective or the fact with a different major in college provided a different way to look at things as a group to make a stronger at solving problems and coming up with solutions and that is something that i learned over my 20 years in nassau with the
11:50 pm
international partnership was so important and valuable at the same time it is important to work on as a group rather than something negative to be arguing about i appreciate earth more and the environment looking for a long time it makes you think about how fragile the atmosphere is an parts are polluted this is the only planet we have i have not a believer that mars is the lifeboat for civilization to grow and develop and expand we have to have people living other places but not because we destroy this place we have to take care of this planet. i learned about who the experts are and if you want to
11:51 pm
know something about rocket science then you ask a rocket scientist. if you want to know something about climate science you don't ask a lawyer. ask a climate scientist. [laughter] appreciate people and be more empathetic for the planet because we are all in this together. >> i am a mars fanatic but let's pretend i am not. my bias is way up but if we want to go to mars what things or what would it take for us to go to mars especially with the time schedule we have laid out for ourselves? >> when i was on the space station the reporter said now that nasa has determined
11:52 pm
absolutely there is water on mars during some times of the year, does that help their -- help us get there sooner? i don't know. maybe if we find money we get there fast. technologically we could do it maybe have a better understanding of the physical stuff may be our vision or radiation effects to shield the crew from radiation whether that is magnetic field or water or just get there really fast, something we need to think about but the biggest challenge is not what my brother says it isn't about the rocket science but the political science and having voters elect members of
11:53 pm
congress that are science minded people to see the value of doing something like this to put the resources behind it whether we change the laws or get the administration recognizes nasa cannot be changing direction and plans every time we get a new president, that would be helpful to us going to mars someday. >> we are not going to venus. that would be too hard because of the sulfur gas and rain clouds in the crushing pressure but maybe titan or a place with water. >> you mention in your book when you talk about your realization of water there is
11:54 pm
nothing like being immersed in water. what did you mean? >> when you don't take a shower for a whole year it becomes important and we would always say we can't wait to go swimming or get in a bathtub and both of us as soon as we got home that is the first thing we did i just walked to my front door and out the back door and jumped in the pool did not change the close. the pool was heated when i got out and my body went to shock a lot of that i had had that experience for so long but a lot of things we take for granted. >> would you like to go back? >> i would. >>host: if you have the opportunity, not names but what kind of crew or what types of talent? >> i would pick the those i
11:55 pm
spent the year in space with and the people that are helpful but not too helpful you can't have someone up there that you think will always be there to help you do your work people have to do their own thing but there are times to help and be technically competent because it is very complicated with a lot of risk and after those i would say people that are easy to get along with and don't get too stressed out and that you can trust. on the space station you have to trust the people you're up there with because so many things can go wrong so trustworthiness, confidence or technical confidence stability emotionally stable.
11:56 pm
a lot of the traits from government today. [laughter] you said that. >> you don't have to do it quickly but you talk to a lot of kids and i thank you are as passionate as i and hopefully there will be several thousand students who will see this at some point in their academic life. what are some words of wisdom? go all the way back to that kid who never did the right thing who didn't see the need to eddie to scott kelly of today that we admire.
11:57 pm
>> if i was to talk to myself i would say, find inspiration. you could have beaten me over the head with a two by four and i would it my homework so inspiration is key. kids get inspiration from different places they are inspired by different things it was impossible for me to be a good student without inspiration what i found was from a book that said you want to do this you have to do this and it requires homework and that is what helped me. for kids who want to work at nasa i tell them pick something that is qualifying don't become a pilot because we were pilots but because you want to fly airplanes and that helps you great but if you would rather be a chemist and be a better chemist it is good
11:58 pm
to have a job that you like you are better at. >> i am working on a young reader version of this book right now. >> it has been an incredible pleasure to have the opportunity to sit and talk to you today and anybody who looks or wonders if they should get the book or the audio get both it gives you a different perspective when you are reading and here it in your voice but you have been absolutely incredible. thank you for your service to the nation and nasa and best of luck here on out mac i appreciate it.
11:59 pm
12:00 am
. . . . . . speak with christopher scalia, justice antonin scalia most powerful writers in the spring court opinions and a lot of distance

15 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on