Skip to main content

tv   2016 Gun Violence Student Cam Interview  CSPAN  March 23, 2018 5:45pm-6:08pm EDT

5:45 pm
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] >> in 2016 to students from marjorie stoneman douglas high school in parkland for that one honorable mention in c-span's
5:46 pm
student cam video contest. the documentary entitled target focused on gun violence in school. the national video documentary competition that encourages students to think quickly about issues that affect our communities and nations. here is the documentary from danny and rachel. >> a quiet school library can quickly descend into chaos. >> [inaudible]
5:47 pm
>> fro[inaudible] >> since 2013 nearly 160 gun related incidences on school grounds averaging one a week. parents have developed a frightening urgent desire to pull their kids classes due to the amount of gun violence that students may face. we sat down with the mayor of parkland, florida to discuss active shooter into the. >> gun safety is vitally important especially around our schools because we need to promote a safe learning environment. some improvements are schools made as far as single point of access to keep people out of the schools that don't belong on the campus but i think we need to work harder to make sure that we
5:48 pm
are doing everything we can with guard to gun safety on school campuses and i think we should have a very strict policies and every law should be enforced to make sure that there are no future issues. city of parkland contracts with the broward sheriff's offices for services we have in place police and public safety officers that are available through the county and through our local contract and we rely on the county for services. >> the issue of katie isn't just a local concern. it's a federal one. we sat down with 21st district congressman to talk about his input on the matter. >> i have been in congress for almost six years. the biggest frustration that i have is that since the shootings in connecticut and since sandy hook we have not been able to do
5:49 pm
anything in washington, nothing to try to take meaningful action to help reduce the level of gun violence in this country. we have moments of silence in congress where my colleagues stand on the house floor, democrats and republicans together, from whatever state this tragedy and where the tragedy took place in and asks us to have a moment of silence in honor of the victims and we should and were not honoring their memory to pass legislation to make our communities safer. the sandy hook shooting was one of the most tragic school that happened in recent years. this should have been one of the last features but if we do nothing it won't be.
5:50 pm
>> most of those who died were just young children with her whole life ahead of them. every parent in america has a heart heavy with hurt. among the fallen teachers many women who devoted their lives to helping our children propel their dreams so our hearts are broken today and we grieve for the families of those we lost and we keep in our prayers those who survive. as blessed as they are to have their children home they know another child has been way too early. as a nation we have endured far too many of these tragedies in the last few years. >> although we talked to some of the matter it is the students and teachers who would be the ones in danger. >> i feel gun safety is a big issue right now because a lot of incidences with guns have been happening recently and i feel that although they are important to have their not safe anymore.
5:51 pm
>> we could have a thousand video cameras and video camera in every classroom and get have ankle bracelets on every kid and track everything and in the event it would give us a little more safety, maybe. it what it comes down to is human intelligence. it is just like dealing with any other part of bad out there. it comes down to human intelligence and people talking and when you start talking about mental health issues that they're having a hard time dealing with life and what is going on at home or at school or in both places but they have an outlet in the have a way of being able to talk to somebody and that probably would solve a lot more problems. >> [inaudible]
5:52 pm
>> rachel was a junior in 2016 at marjorie stoneman douglas high school and is now studying at central florida. daniel a senior in 2016 is in florida polytechnic university and they both join us on the phone. rachel, let me begin with you, listening to your documentary take a back to last month when he found out about the shooting and 17 killed at your former high school and what was your reaction? >> first of all, i didn't believe that it was real.
5:53 pm
i hate to use this cliché right off the bat but you never think it would happen to you and when i first found out i thought someone pulled the fire alarm or made a threat because that is happened before in the past but it wasn't until i was watching the news and they came out with the statistics that 17 people had been killed and the first thing was obviously i was completely shocked because i am seeing my high school on the news and the parking lot where i wasn't allowed to make left turns into is plastered everywhere and it was very surreal and it broke my heart honestly. it took me a few days to even start thinking about the implications of what happened is because i was so incredibly heartbroken. >> did you think back to your documentary, rachel?
5:54 pm
>> instantly. instantly. when i found out that there had been a shooting and my high school i thought what a coincidence and how insane in what are the chances of making a documentary two years and then two years prior to something like this happening. i got back to the documentary but i always hope that it happened in the first place. >> daniel, what did you think when you heard the news? >> i was shocked as well. my sister is a freshman there in my first thing when i heard the news i immediately thought of her and hope she was okay. after that i mainly felt angry that i could be there to protect her.
5:55 pm
all i ever wanted was to keep her safe. i couldn't believe it that this happened to her. >> dino, when you thought about your documentary at the time you were making it why did you and rachel decide to make this and did you feel here at the time that you are making this that there could be gun violence at your school and no one thanks this will happen to their school. we when we were making it i thought of support issue to be addressed and them at the time there wasn't much to talk about but you couldn't find much on the subject so we just got the word should be spread. >> rachel, what about you? this is a topic you and your friends talk about your parents talked about and why did you decide that this documentary needed to be made.
5:56 pm
>> i think the first thing that we try to think of in general was a road to the campaign for the presidential campaign and then i think we both kind of thought that what is the issue our politicians can find out about is a problem for us in could be a problem for us and in the future and at the time i was reading an autobiography, a biography about the columbine high school shootings and that is when our production teacher, eric garner, gave us the assignment to do the contest and i thought i have all this information and i talked it over with danny and he agreed that it definitely we were both concerned about and something that we were able to do as high schoolers and something we were
5:57 pm
able to do in the short amount of time that completed our documentary. >> daniel, when you are researching was there something particular about marjorie stoneman douglas high school that concerned you? i know you talk to the mayor about making sure that school was safe but when was there something particular about the school that concerns you at all or that you wanted to highlight? >> when i was a sophomore we did have a close call and there was a kid on social media that said along the lines that he was going to shoot up the school but for some reason he made it distinctive that anyone who was wearing a red shirt was going to be his target. the day after we had cops and enforcement to make sure that the threat would not be real but feeling that was my first thinking about this. that could happen to her school at the time and what can stop it
5:58 pm
from truly happening agai and ts something we should bring up and being let no. >> rachel, for the documentary you spoke to your teacher, eric garner, this tv teacher and some might recognize these names. his help save students life bring that february 14 shooting and in the documentary he talked about having human intelligence to prevent these types of shootings and does that exist at the school? he talked about the importance of connecting to kids in their lives outside and inside a school ended that exists at the school? >> i would say it definitely exists. for a lot of the students at marjorie stoneman douglas high school. when i was in high school the tv production teacher who you just talked about really did influence me and he helped me
5:59 pm
become the person that i am today and believed in me when i didn't really believe in myself. a lot of the teachers were like that. several of the teachers were so invested in the students and they really cared but we had a few teachers that weren't that interested but when we're talking human intelligence is the intellectual prowess of human there are high levels of motivation and self-awareness and intelligence and humans by the whole process the ability to learn and understand things and in this context of the characteristics of human intelligence are interpreted differently than what would be the standard definition and in terms of human intelligence it would probably be something along the lines of feeling an emotional connection to people.
6:00 pm
there was a lot of that at the school. it wasn't exactly like everyone had school spirit and go stoneman douglas but there was differently an unspoken, unconscious, subconscious level of connection that everyone had to each other in you and walked on the hallways and even if you didn't know their name or story but you would smile at them and not because you saw each other every day and that was your way of communicating with each other. unfortunately, it seems like some people felt that it just wasn't like that but personally i did see a lot of that. >> rachel, i understand that you knew of niclas and what did you know of him or know him at the time when you were in school? >> so, i met him when i was a sophomore in high school and he had a class with my best friend
6:01 pm
who is in israel right now studying abroad and he sat with us sometimes in the morning and eat lunch with us occasionally and he didn't really say that much but he seems like a pretty lonely kid and i have a habit of going up to lonely people and inviting them to sit with me and my friends at lunch because that happened to me when i was a freshman in the school so i felt like i should go in invite people to do the same thing. i encountered him a few times and i believe one time we sat next to each other during a fire drill because we were just outside and i saw someone we knew and we sat next to each other and he didn't really say much. he kept himself really. he likes my friend so my friend kayla came up to me and said you
6:02 pm
should pretend to be my girlfriend because [inaudible] so i was her big girlfriend for two days and then he stopped hanging around with us and that was around the time that he switched schools. >> daniel, in the video you feature president obama speech after what happened in 2013 at newtown and you say that should be a president's last speech on this topic but it probably wouldn't be if nothing happened. do you feel after what happened with your high school in parkland that you see change happening across the country? what you think, daniel? >> first, i want to say that the topic of mr. garner. i personally want to say something because my sister was one of the students in his classroom that he helped
6:03 pm
protect. i just want to let that out there and thank him personally. back to the speech, everyone hopes that is the last speech and hopefully now the issue can be addressed properly. that, it's a tough thing. you just have to push through. >> rachel, what you think about the walkouts that are happening across the country and in a march for life rally? >> i think it is incredible. i really do. after such a terrible, terrible event where 17 people died and i had to use the word died, i prefer to use the term murdered. this wasn't some tragedy and unavoidable tragedy. it wasn't some sort of
6:04 pm
protective life and that's the scary part that people are starting to think that these mass shootings and mass murders are facts of life. it was so incredible to see kids who went to high school with an people who were i waited in line with and i ate lunch with our taking something so terrible, a mass murder is essentially what it was and a massacre and turning it and using it as a way to help make sure that this will never happen again and feel like maybe now after everything that the politicians will listen and the politicians will not listen and they're not going to make policies that can affect our kids then i know for fact that the kids from my high school and everyone else who is a supporter in the march for our lives will make a difference.
6:05 pm
it is our life in danger and not somebody is a career politician in their gilded cage who sits in the capital building. they are concerned about protecting second amendment rights and gun rights and things like that but it's not the guns that died the kids that die. they are kids go to private or public schools and those are kids that are dying. it's everyday, normal people. the way that we are being able in the way that march for life is going on it shows unity and this is something that people want to change in people want things to change. enough is enough and that the whole point of march for our lives. we will not be taking this anymore. there's been enough of kids
6:06 pm
dying in places that are supposed to be safe. >> rachel, you know, we thank you both for your thoughts. >> thank you for having us. >> thank you. >> c-span will be covering the march for our lives rally saturday, 12:00 o'clock p.m. eastern time, go to c-span .org for more details. >> the march for our lives rally against mass shootings will take place in washington dc tomorrow and begins live at noon eastern on c-span. you can watch online at c-span .org or listen with the pre- c-span radio app. this sunday on 1968: america in turmoil, the presidential election of 1958 began with eight presidential candidates and by the end the sitting president about out that robert
6:07 pm
kennedy was assassinated, television coverage was nominated by violent clashes between chicago police and protesters at the democratic national convention. richard nixon won a decisive victory for joining us on the program former presidential candidate pat buchanan who served under president nixon and reagan and also the author of the greatest comeback, how richard nixon rose from defeat to create the new majority and barbara perry, director of presidential studies and codirector of the presidential oral history program at the university of virginia, watch 1960: america in turmoil, live sunday at 8:30 p.m. eastern on washington journal and on american history tv on c-span3. >> c-span where history unfolds daily. in 1979 c-span was created as a public service by america's cable television companies and today we continue to bring you unfiltered coverage of congress, the white house, the supreme court and public policy events in

18 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on