Skip to main content

tv   Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor  CSPAN  June 8, 2018 1:07pm-2:12pm EDT

1:07 pm
best. incredible place, great opportunity not only to see the museum first early, late afternoon and then we will start is the reception from six to about 6:30 p.m. at our program will start at 6:30 p.m. congressman loudermilk, great guy, will visit with us and it also arthur brooks, doctor arthur brooks and will of music to start off with a wonderful lady named a thompson who is really going to move and inspire us later on tonight. then we watch this movie new indivisible. thank you so much for being with us this morning and god bless you and we'll see an breakout sessions and then over at the museum of the bible later on tonight. [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] >> as this takes a break a quick reminder that tamara vice president pence will speak at the faith and freedom coalition conference in washington to glide coverage starts at 6 p.m. eastern on c-span. live coverage continues now a
1:08 pm
supreme court justice sonia sotomayor is sitting down for an interview with the american constitution society fort lawn policy conference. this is just getting underway. >> how are you doing? i'm doing okay. what is this? >> it's going to be around for a little while. >> what happened? >> in the middle of night i went to get a bottle of water from my living room kitchen area. it was dark and i tripped over a piece of furniture. broke it in for spots, my shoulder. had to have it replaced and so i am now partly bionic woman. [laughing] [applause] i need an id go through airports. >> i don't think you need to an idea to go through airports. i think you're good. >> i do travel abroad occasionally. >> are you taking care of yourself? >> yes. you sound dubious. >> are we worried about her?
1:09 pm
we are worried about you. >> i'm feeling exceedingly well. both my doctor my therapist are delighted. the only negative consequence of this is not been able to sleep well. i'm sleeping and a rented recliner because laying down causes pain as it does with most people who have shoulder or upper body operations. but any invite him little bit d most of the time but but you get to use to. >> i have children. you dig used to it. that's true. a couple of ground rules before we start the justice cannot talk about anything that is currently pending before the court or anything the court has previously decided. which is fine because the court has that anything interesting this week that we would want to talk about. [laughing] so that's fine. >> wait till next week.
1:10 pm
>> we've got two weeks to go. >> two weeks to go. okay. it's 2018. you have been on the court for nine years. you been in the federal judiciary for 25, six as it is a court judge, 11 as a circuit court judge and a night as a justice of the supreme court. how does it feel? >> like i'm old. [laughing] >> you look the same. >> that's a good thing. my nephews and niece told my brother the other day didn't understand why he was the younger brother since i looked younger than him. i gave them such big hugs and kisses. it is strange to think so much time has passed, and that i've done so much in judging during that time. each experience has been unique unto itself. each has been valuable unto
1:11 pm
itself, and each is decidedly different. yes, many judges will tell you judging is judging. but it's a different kind of judging on each level. and i'm so grateful that it had the opportunity at this a supreme court justice to know what the other experiences are like, and to understand both the power of each position and its limitations. and i think that makes me, i hope it makes me more respectful of what the judges below me are experiencing and why they may see things different than we do. and i think some of my opinions have reflected that have reflected my understanding of what the judges were looking at and why, why do acting. so it's been a marvelous experience for me. i often have said in the past that i wish i had been a judge
1:12 pm
before i was a litigator. [laughing] >> hard to do that. >> i know. [laughing] but i've often thought of all the mistakes i made as a lawyer and how much better within if i understood come really understood what judges were looking at. and i'm grateful now that i had those experiences as a justice. >> that's how i feel about being a law professor. i wish i could go back to law school because i would kill law school. >> i think you did all right. you did okay. >> you're settling in, i can the group. you're welcome new colleagues. you came to the court after justice ginsburg famously was alone on the court from 2005-2009 and she was just at nyu this last year and she described that time between 2005-and justice o'connor retired 22000 and when you ride on the court as a time where it was just her and ate very well fed men.
1:13 pm
[laughing] >> that's -- >> and then justice kagan joined. now there are three women on the court. interestingly, the dynamic changed a little bit. for a law professor at northwestern along with her students, just released a study a few years ago and they track the number of interruptions in oral arguments at the court, indiebound that women justices are disproportionately interrupted at higher rates than their male colleagues by their male colleagues and by mail advocates. have you noticed that? [laughing] >> i'm sorry. that was truly spontaneous. [laughing] is a woman in the room who has ever failed to notice that? [laughing] [applause]
1:14 pm
justice ginsburg once noticed, and i hope she has noticed my response to it come at an earlier time where she said she is often spoken at conferences, said something. no one reacts to it. then we go around the room giving explanations and a male colleague says exactly the same thing, and all of a sudden there's this perking up of this is a most really think anyone is ever said. that happens routinely come not just with her but with all of us. >> yes. >> but one of the things is when i started noticing that, i have been very conscious that saying when it comes to my turn, ruth just said that. >> good. >> or noting its of people don't forget that it was her observation to begin with. but that's sort of existence i
1:15 pm
think endemic in our life interactions generally. i i give credit to the chief justice. i don't know what that study would show this past year or since the publication of that article, but i've noticed him being more of a referee during argument. he's been very conscious as people are being cut off of stepping in much more than ever had been before, stepping in and saying, and to that question but go back to justice ginsburg are justice sotomayor was question. i think that desensitized him. so for those professors who believe the writings have no meaning, occasionally they do. [applause] but i think that that is reflective of the fact that talking about the difference of gender treatment is important, because is that always
1:16 pm
conscious, people don't always do with understanding what they're doing. if you don't sensitize them to it, and not good to be able to be responsive in a different way. and so i was grateful for the article. i think a change some of the dynamics on the courts. i've actually had male justices apologize for interrupting, which never happened before. so it's not only him but others who have been more cautious as a result. >> do you feel the weight of being the only woman of color on the court? >> yes. >> household? >> well, i think there are, for women in general, the need for role models, and the best in the foremost is ruth bader ginsburg and sandra day o'connor as well. [applause] they were my inspiration, but for women of color, people in
1:17 pm
top positions are not as numerous. and so as one of my friends reminded me during my confirmation process, she looked at me and she said, this is not about you, dummy. i was complaining about the process. and she said, this is about my daughter who needs to see somebody like herself be in a position of power, and so -- [applause] >> i really big burden. in what i thought about how to fulfill it, what i realized is what i could give them, the only thing i could give them, is being myself, to continue trying to be as genuine as i could with
1:18 pm
the world. not just with them, but with the world. and so to the extent that i speak frankly and my decisions indirectly, it's because i want people to understand what i'm saying. not in legal terms, but in legal terms that touch the heart. i want people to understand the consequences of law and how it affects them, and the things that we need to do to make the laws better. so for me, yes, it's a great responsibility. >> it's not just the consequences of law but the consequences of language. one of your first opinions for the court in 2009 you made a very purposeful choice to use the term undocumented immigrant, as opposed to illegal immigrant or illegal alien, and you spoke later said that was the choice that you may because you wanted to disrupt the idea that being
1:19 pm
undocumented was an extreme form of criminology and you are to sort of think about the range of criminality. people break laws all the time and it's not -- >> i can give examples of that. how many people take things from the office home? that they are giving to the kids, that their giving to the kids to paint with her do whatever the need for school project. most people do that reflectively without thinking. they are stealing from your employer. yet we don't think of it as culpable contact that should result thankfully and the death penalty, okay? or even perhaps incarceration. so there are varying degrees and varying difference why people commit crimes. that's no less true for undocumented aliens. certainly there's a significant, that even a significant, there's a number of people who have committed other criminal
1:20 pm
activities that are not related to their status. that's a different undocumented alien than the undocumented alien who was here without ballot papers but is still a contributing member of our society. and responses have to be as nuanced as the punishment judges give. so do peoples perceptions of those individuals. many people think you committed a crime and some out are a horrible, bad person. the reality is that good people do bad things, and how many of you mothers in the room, or fathers, look at your kids when they say do you still love me? and you say i love you, i just don't like what you did. that's not, you know, that's a perfect truth. and there may be moments where you don't like them, you know, but my point still remains that as a society, and unless we as judges are careful about -- and
1:21 pm
not taking on words with this large emotional negative impact about others, then we will teach the greater society to be more nuanced in their reaction to very complex problems. >> that seems to be a problem now more than ever. this need for nuance and precision as opposed to sort of like language. i mean, do you think that decision is more resident today than it was in 2009? >> well, given the nature of the conversation today, yes, i think people are still having for it and i'm grateful for it. one of my colleagues wrote a decision a number of years after mine pointed out, rightly, that the statute that these people are charged with violating deems them illegal aliens. but i think that misses the point, , which is the fact that
1:22 pm
others use a term does it mean that the term has not been imbued with more meaning than what the statute gives it, or than what the dictionary might give it. that sensitivity has to be more broad than that. >> i'm going to shift gears. that was really heavy and took a very dark turn. all right. >> can i go talk to the. >> i was good to say, you want to go -- >> i like walking around. because of this, , hugs are a little tough right now. what side to? this site. i'm going to walk around. >> she is going into the crowd. [cheers and applause] >> on going to stay here and sit back. i'm just going to stay here. >> i'm going to walk around. >> i just going to stay here.
1:23 pm
>> i can't give out hugs anymore. hello. [inaudible conversations] >> will you sign this? >> i can't right now. >> go ahead. >> you can ask the next question. >> whichever way you want to do this. go ahead. [applause] >> thank you. [inaudible conversations] >> what's your next question? [laughing] >> we are going to do it like this? >> i'm going to let you go to work. >> this is like oprah.
1:24 pm
dgc the new document rbg? >> my whole chambers what last friday night. we had the best time. i am shamelessly promoting it, okay? it is hysterically funny, informative and just plain entertaining. it's a beautifully done peace. it's very short but nobody should miss it. >> what was your favorite part? >> that's an interesting question. you mean when they should my picture and elena kagan? [laughing] >> i'm just jesting about that. i think it was seeing justice ginsburg laugh so much. you know, she can appear stern and because she is so slight, she really doesn't project her
1:25 pm
smile as broad as i might project mine. even as a colleague we deal with some fairly serious things and she's not a jokester by personality. >> really? >> but she really did do some fingers that she does some great ones. the day that president obama came to greet us at justice kagan's swearing-in, he asked her how she felt about her new sisters, and the response was, i love them. but i'll be happier when you give me ask others. [laughing] five others. [applause] so she can do it but it's not a constant and a personality. and throughout the film you saw her taking true pleasure in moments of her life. >> her granddaughter is -- >> very, very touching. >> the part that really struck me was a workout.
1:26 pm
[laughing] i with would've felt like i neo step up my own game. >> we all do. >> do you have a workout like that? >> not like that. [laughing] >> i do work out. i have occurred, to. >> her trainer, pushing a tire or something. >> crazy stuff. she'd really, unit, she's religious about it. she does more push-ups than ever to do. >> she was doing one armed push-ups like jack polansky. >> she's quite amazing. really amazing. but all of the female justices have workouts. it's interesting that each of us are more careful about that then some of our colleagues, male colleagues. [laughing] >> the california appellate division over here. >> how are you? >> i love your book.
1:27 pm
>> thank you. thank you for reading it. >> there someone over here who has a book. here's the book. has anyone read the book? [applause] >> when i get to something i will sit down. >> will come back to you with the book. >> i just can't do it stand up now with this arm. i'm trying, i'm trying. >> there are a lot of students here who are currently in law school and in thinking about turkey. how many of you are thinking about clerking? lots of them. >> lots and lots of them. >> you would still be your biggest regret was not clerking. >> it still is. >> why didn't you clerk? >> i was stupid. [laughing] >> i don't think that's true. >> not thoughtful. my mentor is to judge on the second circuit court of appeals but he was general counsel and
1:28 pm
vp at yale at this time and he was my mentor. he was trying his darndest to tell me to go clerk. and he was trying to explain all the advantages, and all i saw about clerking was they spent all of their time in the library research and writing. that's early part of it that i i understood. and after seven very challenging academic years of my life, i did not want to do that. i wanted to get out there and be a lawyer here i was going to the das office. bob morgenthau primacy of get into the courtroom within my first six months. i was trying a case within my first month. >> that's exciting. >> and i had a wonderful experience there. but it wasn't until i became a judge that understood the clerking was a lot more than that. it is not only the relationship with your colleagues, because even when you're working on a case in a firm or an instant
1:29 pm
institution with other lawyers, they are all sorted doing different things for different parts of it, but in clerking your constant talking to your co-clerks and learning from them, and you are learning what moves of judges. and you get to see in a year more papers, more briefs, more approaches on how to practice law then you will and and ten,, 20 years of practice. because every matter before you is different. so you're learning not just the processes of the court, but how to practice in a different way. and eventually i think i do with two clerks comes away understanding what is important, and that's hard to do if you never clerking for a judge. it's a little bit embarrassing for me to say that i regret anything professionally. i am a sitting justice. [laughing] >> it seems like you're living your best life.
1:30 pm
>> yes, i am. i made an uninformed decision. you know, , i came from a very poor background. i have not a whole lot of what you guys have today, i did and i thought i had to get out there and work. i was wrong. by my clerking i would've advand my career by five to ten years. and i tell every minority and every person who has, who was in law school, the best choice you can make for yourself, and take it as a year that will promote your career and then advance you five to ten years, so it's worth the sacrifice. and don't forget most law firms give you a bonus at the end. [laughing] ..
1:31 pm
[applause] if you haven't figured out a memo on spinach does a good job. truly, if you are a student thinking about clerking, it is
1:32 pm
in amazing experience. it's a pipeline to a career. this is something you don't want to shut yourself off from. please consider it. we are really interested in getting more students and underrepresented students. >> we've got to get to the other side of the room. >> i will. one quick note to that. you no longer have the clerk right out of law school and many, many judges, especially know the seventh district of new york love people who come from other places. if you haven't done what you needed to do in law school to be a clerk, do it in practice. figure out those people who are connected to judges you might want to work with. >> my research assistant caitlin is going to promote.
1:33 pm
>> she is a shameless motor. >> she is going to clerk for victor bolden. >> very smart. >> it's so nice to meet you. >> thank you. you picked a good mentor. >> we have to ask more questions. this is really testing my powers of chewing gum and walking at the same time. [laughter] i know i am utterly superfluous here. you've gotten some new colleagues. what's that like when a new person comes. >> it does change the dynamic. everybody has their own personality and their own sense of humor. it takes a while to get used to people's humor.
1:34 pm
i remember the first day justice course which was in conference and i said something and i realized he was joking. it's hard to tell. i could see in my colleagues faces it wasn't a humor we were accustomed to. we got used to it and he got used to us and things far less flat now. [laughter] >> how are you doing. >> he's been trying to get me healthy for years, he's been trying to get me to meditate. it will happen.
1:35 pm
maybe i should show up for that. i'm only joking about that because the reality is, each voice is different. how you respond to it, how best to convince another human being, you have to learn what's important each person. you have to figure out how to approach your problem with them in a way that's persuasive because you're sensitive to their viewpoint and that takes. to my law clerks, they will say what we think this justice would do because i know him the least. as time goes on i don't need to ask that question is much. >> how do you get to know them? do you hang out? to go to happy hour? [laughter] we don't have a happy hour. we have lunch after every oral
1:36 pm
argument and we have lunch after every review conference on friday. i actually see him socially lunch time more than i have any other settin set of justices in5 history because when you're a district court judge you might have a judge lunch room but not everybody shows up regularly. when you are on the circuit court you having two other judges with you and maybe you have lunch with them occasionally but certainly not regularly. this is more forced socialization than i ever thought i wanted. [laughter] i'm halfway joking about that. but it is true. it was sandra day o'connor who really insisted on all of the justices actively participating in going to lunch with each
1:37 pm
other. it is very, very hard and attest our fortitude to, at the end of a very emotional announcement of a case where we have been divided, there is a protocol which is we force ourselves to go to lunch. it forces us to remember that we may differ in whatever answer is to societal issue to a constitutional issue, but we are still people working together and breaking bread and understanding the differences are not something that should permanently alienate you, but something you should work on understanding each other better with and figuring out what you can do in the future. >> where are you going. >> i'm going over here.
1:38 pm
>> i'll get back to you before i go up. >> when you are with your colleagues and your forming these relationships, do you feel like you are settled in with them, like you know them really well? are you getting to know them? are they friends like your friends on the second circuit. >> that's a lot of questions. compound questions counselor. let me try to un- package this. we talk a lot about our families and about kids and spouses and for those who have relatives still living, parents, et cetera, we talk about those things we know about each other and very personal ways. we know each other's hardships. when justice ginsburg's husband
1:39 pm
was dying, that was my first year on the bench. justice breyer sent her a package of food every night because marty was the cook in the family and he was afraid she wasn't going to eat. that's a very family like gesture which repeats itself. if one of us was sick, everybody called me when i was sick with my shoulder. it's like a clerkship family. >> we like the spouses more. [laughter] >> i love her husband. >> we know. you've made that very clear. [laughter] thank you. anyway there are very close
1:40 pm
gestures and when i broke my arm everyone my colleagues was sending a note calling in following up to make sure i was okay. this is very traditional. do you really know what's in a person's heart? that's a hard one to answer. i think it's easier way when you're on the courts below because you're not working on all of the same cases and you can vent to someone who's not on a panel about a different panel and what they did and how you think they were right or wrong. it's a little harder when you're on our court because you sort of know what the languages, who's in the majority, who agrees, who doesn't, complaining to them is useless because they have their own complaints and so it's a sort of different type of relationship.
1:41 pm
we do socialize outside the courthouse. not too often because were all busy in our own lives. we do things together. justices have been in my home, i've been and there's. >> do you place charades in pictionary. >> no, we don't do that. no game night. none of that. but there were movies, sandra day o'connor used to take them to western movies. >> like unforgiven. >> yes, things like that. she liked the really old stuff. >> like true grit. >> exactly. that was her favorite. but, you know, it is a family which means you're upset with them sometimes. you can disagree a lot and you can forgive a lot.
1:42 pm
you end up being forced to. >> okay matt, come out this way. anyway, in those ways it is much closer than people imagine. we made it back. [applause] [applause] >> i'm sweating. >> i made it through the room. >> you did. i was just bobbing along in your wake like a barnacle. my kids love you.
1:43 pm
i have two kids, they love her. i got called out once because my daughter went to school and her teacher was reading from a book. can we have the first book slide? this was the book hurt teacher was reading from. sonja soto mayor, a judge grows from the bronx. my daughter raises her hand and said i know her. the teacher said sure. [laughter] then they keep reading the story. my daughter said she brought me a unicorn. [laughter] and the teacher said right. and then i get a call that night about my daughter's imagination. [laughter] and how we need to rein this in and directed to more productive avenues. i said well this is entirely true. she does know her and she did give her a unicorn.
1:44 pm
[applause] >> you should disclose to the audience that your daughter is smarter than you, me and her father put together. >> i'm just glad she's taking care of us at some point. she may be causing our destruction but she will ultimately take care of a. >> thistudent duplicated herself with a six-year-old child of a friend and she raised her hand and said i know sonja and i didn't believe her. her mother has begged me to go meet the class. it has taught me a lesson. we have to remember to take pictures. >> pictures or didn't happen. this is a good segue. there is a cottage industry of
1:45 pm
sonja's children book. you have an equally but different group of children's books authors who are totally standing for you. there's one slide and then there's this one. who is sonja soto mayor. it's a question i've asked on many occasions. my daughter loves this book. she knows everything in this book. this is where she asked you to chase down counterfeiters of candy bags. she was really into that book. my son loves this.
1:46 pm
this is how my son got literate, reading these books you go on all kinds of papers, is like a comic book. he likes this one a lot. then there's another one. this one is in the school library. >> bell and i have not seen either. >> there's a number you haven't seen. this is only a fraction of the ones i can find. there's a ton of them. >> would you like to hear my mother story? someone told her, you should know how many hits on the internet there are for your daughter. my mother who did ever touch a computer decided to go to the local library. my mother called me that night
1:47 pm
and i said that's what i would do to. these things shake me a little bit. go back to this last one where you're surfing on a gavel. [laughter] to think that surfing or salsa dancing? it looks like safety is not a priority here. >> as you can tell from my brace, it might not be. >> what's the next one. this is my favorite. it's like condoleezza rice, michelle obama, sot sonja soda r all fighting crime together. it's amazing. did you know that my first dream was being a detective like nancy
1:48 pm
drew. >> , lisa looks like she's solving a crime right there. i want to read this book. you interested. >> i am. get a copy. then there's this next one. this is your book. >> this will be my book. so tell me about this book. >> it's a picture book for children between the ages of three and eight. it's probably six sophisticated enough that most parents will have to read it with their children rather than a child reading it themselves. it's a story of my life through what i considered the greatest influence on my life which is reading. i learned about the world through reading. given where i grew up which many people know wasn't economically challenged neighborhood, i have spoken frequently about the fact that my mom would have readers digest in our home and i would
1:49 pm
read about all these new books coming out and go to the local library and try to check out the book in my library never had them. i never realized this library wouldn't have recent books. reading is what exposed me to the world and the possibilities of the world. i taught the kids all the time and i tell him that's the value of learning. not getting good grades, if not satisfying your parents, is not being repetitive about whether you get an a, b or c, it's about what learning teaches you that you wouldn't otherwise be exposed to. it opens up the possibilities. [applause] this book is about that.
1:50 pm
i suffice to start by saying i start the first vignette talking about my grandmother reciting poetry at our family party. another vignette is about my diagnosis of diabetes, my condition and the fact that reading comic books and supergirl gave me the strength to figure out how to get myself insulin shots. the constitution is in it, the bibles and it. lord of the flies which was really important in shaping my view about the importance of law and the importance of how those values have to be nurtured in children, that were not born with them, that it's something that we have to teach, that came to me through lord of the flies, but there are other readings and
1:51 pm
books in episodes that describe moments in my life through how reading open to the world to me. the end of the book, it's like an adventure. >> exactly. >> we saw a number of my beloved worlds out there in the audience. >> where are those books? >> we didn't steal them, were going to give them back. >> i need to sign them. >> you've actually created one for junior readers in a middle school audience. this is the new my beloved world that's coming out and you can purchase this for the young people in your life but it's basically an abridged version. >> more pictures, different pictures but more new ones and
1:52 pm
simplified from middle age, middle school aged group. not middle-age. [laughter] >> i've got to ask. these are two new books and you're on the court and you're recovering from shoulder surgery and what am i doing with my li life? how do you have all this time? how are you doing this? >> one of the partners in my law firm said there's plenty of hours in a day between 12 at night and 8:00 a.m. he was halfway justified by the, but that is a joke. a lot of it is that these are acts of love in the middle school book was started because my cousin miriam who is
1:53 pm
described in the adult book and may be one of my favorite people in the whole world is a middle school bilingual teacher and she begged me for a middle school book. that was born from that. random house whose publisher came to me and said once i was doing a middle school book, shouldn't i have a yellow persons reader of some sort and that's where that idea came from. they also wanted me to do a second children's book which will come out a year from now. >> you are turning into beverly clearly. [laughter] >> but that one, when they approached me about a second children's book i told them on one condition, that you accept the book that's totally my idea and they did. when i said totally, a picture
1:54 pm
book of my life was a pretty standard idea, but i wanted a picture book about kids with special, i don't want to use that word, with life challenges, chronic conditions, juvenile diabetes, attention deficit, autism, all of the common challenges, blindness, deafness, some of the common and not so common that kids grow up experiencing print i wanted a children's book that would explain some of those challenges, some of the frustrations, some of the difficulties in dealing with such conditions, but also some of the strengths that it gives you. that book is set in a garden and it's about a bunch of us kids working on creating the beauty of the garden, each with a different sense, with a
1:55 pm
different function, with a different need. some plants require more water. some more sun. others do great in the shade. some don't. through that metaphor, trying to get kids to understand that we built this world together and that they should participate in understanding what each other is dealing with. they agreed to it, and that's actually the book i've been working on with the help of friends. we have a lot of friends, some of them in this room who have been looking over the manuscript and making comments and we've had a lot of experts working on this. >> that's great. [applause] who was the young woman who gave you a hard copy? tell me your name?
1:56 pm
[inaudible] okay, thank you. >> your family in puerto rico, they been on my mind because were going into hurricane season. the last hurricane season was absolutely devastating for puerto rico both with hurricane irma and maria. i think the death toll in puerto rico is staggering. just shy of 5000 people lost. how is your family doing import rico? >> i have not been back. i was scheduled to go back in may the week i was having my operation so i had to cancel. i had wanted to go back earlier but with all of the challenges on the island, the marshals were
1:57 pm
not happy having me come visit. it was difficult to drive to the island. it's still not easy but it was more difficult before. every day, every month gets a little bit better, but a dear friend of mine sent me some coffee and it reminded me that we have a very robust coffee industry that's now been destroyed for at least seven years if not ten or 15 because all of the coffee plants were uprooted and it takes seven years for them to take hold again. an entire industry was just wiped out. most of my relatives over time got water and electricity, but only last month did the last of them actually get both.
1:58 pm
the island continues to have blackout, supplies are still limited, the challenges are great. the recovery is not something that's going to go away in a day, month, year. it will take decades to rebuild. needless to say, for many, is challenging. for most it's sad because a place that they've lived in have grown comfortable in is now presenting a daily life survival challenge for most people. it is heartbreaking. thankfully, most of my family has been okay. they've suffered financially and continue to do so but thankfully they have relatives in the states and we've been able to help. some people don't have as many where the resources, but i think what is troubling so many is the
1:59 pm
brain drain that's going on in puerto rico. most of the graduates from the university of porto rico are not staying on the island. you can't blame them because their future on the island is really questionable, whether they'll be able to practice whatever they've learned or make a living and support themselves and help their family. i don't make judgments, i just worry about it. the population of puerto rico was exceeding 4 million just five or ten years ago. it's now down to 3 million, and i'm predicting it will go down even further as a result of these storms. >> what can we do to help rico? >> they still need contributions. i can do fundraising so it's you
2:00 pm
guys who can do that if you choose. but, there's habitat for humanity's who have projects on the island. they are helping to rebuild homes. there are sections of the island still not assessable to people in the mountains and on the other side of the electric grid are still without power in many areas. so many homes have been destroyed. any sort of resources that can be shared both human and material are still greatly needed and appreciated on the island. i think there is still work that can be done here in the states in many schools, i know for a fact that nyu and others have open the schools to some of the graduates in puerto rico whose facilities were closed down during the storm. there are different ways you can
2:01 pm
participate. just get on the internet. there are 70 different projects going on. >> there are a lot of problems like what happened after september 11 in new york. there's a lot of resources available to people if they know how to access them. there is a great deal of difficulty in dealing with redtape, especially that that's related to our government here on the mainland. there are still some resources available to islanders but they're not able to get to them. >> we are almost at the conclusion of our time. i wanted to say one last thing, we been talking a lot about courthouses, clerkship and recently there's been a proposal from some of your colleagues to
2:02 pm
modify the hiring process so that it's not quite as accelerated as it's been. they would require them to apply after they have two years of grade and there be a cooling off. when no offers are extended and after that open season there would be no exploding offers. have you thought about that? do you think it's a good idea? have they tried to reform the process before and it's falling apart? do you think this will take? >> i really hope so. i hope so because it's hard to imagine in a profession in which were supposed to be teaching civil discourse, courtesy, respect and human tolerance, the idea that judges couldn't follow a plan voluntarily undermines
2:03 pm
the lessons we are supposed to try to teach. it's hard for me to understand how the old plans fell apart. this one has a chance for success. i see some judges who have been actively working on it here. i know i am going to play very, very close attention to the clerk applicants i get from judges and i will raise not just in eyebrow but act accordingly to judges were not following the plan. [applause] i am one of the justices -- if i'm not the last justice to hire in the clerkship cycle, i am really close. the professors here can tell you.
2:04 pm
i think for the following september, i may be one of the justices who hires last. i don't think i've done badly. there is more talent out there than we could ever pluck and use. it seems to me to send a very poor message when we can't act civilly towards each other. for me that plan and its success is very important to upholding our professional standards. >> i don't think i've ever said this to you publicly. when i applied to you in 2000, i had just finished my first year and then no one turned in their
2:05 pm
grades, i was not the most exciting canada and you took a chance on me it changed my career forever. i'm so proud to have been your clerk. i'm thankful to have the opportunity to work for someone is committed to justice. i want that for everyone because that's what you gave to me and i'm so thankful. [applause]
2:06 pm
>> i'm not crying, you're cryi crying. >> i know. i didn't take much of a risk. >> you are truly a national treasure. we want nothing more than to see you on the court for another 30 years. please take care of your shoulder. bye-bye. [applause] >> ladies and gentlemen, please remain in your seats while the justice exits the room.
2:07 pm
ladies and gentlemen, thank you for inviting us. the afternoon breakout system will begin at 230. >> this weekend on c-span. saturday at 10:00 a.m. eastern cambridge analytical ceo alexander next testifies before the digital media culture and sports committee in london on the use of data and privacy concerns. sunday at 10:30 a.m. a subcommittee hearing on the sexual abuse of olympic and amateur athletes. former president bill clinton and author james patterson discussed their collaboration in writing the president is missing. at 7:30 p.m. sunday, former u.s.
2:08 pm
ambassador to russia talks about u.s. russia relations since 1989 in from cold war to hot piece. and on c-span three, saturday at eight eastern on lectures in history, princeton university professor julian on the growth of foreign policy in the 1970s. sunday at 2:30 p.m., jill and her book stories from trailblazing women lawyers, live live in the law. watch the c-span networks this weekend. book tv will have live coverage of the 34th annual worldly test in chicago starting at 11:00 a.m. eastern saturday with national reviews and his book suicide of the west. kerry kennedy, daughter of robert f kennedy and her book ripples of hope.
2:09 pm
treat. we crossed the bridge and travel. voices from syria. historian roger biles, author and champion of racing reform in chicago. on sunday, our coverage continues at 11:00 a.m. eastern with former president of the aclu nadine and her book eight, why we should resist it with free speech, not censorship. and his book everything you love will burn inside the rebirth of white nationalism in america. jack davis with his book and the making of an american sea. author robert courson with rocket man and the daring odyssey of apollo eight and the men who made the first journey to the moon. watch our weekend coverage of the 34th annual theft in chicago starting saturday at 11:00 a.m. eastern on the tv.
2:10 pm
>> yesterday vladimir putin held his annual question-and-answer session in moscow. for about five hours he answered questions from the public by telephone video call and social media. during the one-hour portion he answered questions on relations with the west and russian troops in syria. >> this year we have a lot more questions about the relations between russia and the west. it's not only about alarming feelings but also the feeling of disappointment. as if russia should be blamed for everything. how should we behave when no one intends to listen to our argument and we can clearly see no one is going to listen to us.
2:11 pm
>> i'm following the flow of messages on the screen and one of the questions is that you get an endless stream of accusations against russia. >> mike position has been made clear multiple times. this is a method to contain russia just like six so-called sanctions. these recurrent allegations provide the basis, the foundation to take containment measures. they see russia as a threat and a competitor but i feel this is a wrong policy because it's not a vicious of the

14 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on