Skip to main content

tv   Vice Pres. Pence Others at Conservative Political Action Conference  CSPAN  March 1, 2019 8:02am-10:03am EST

8:02 am
yesterday with a certain guy who calls himself a lawyer. i never really heard of a lawyer secretly taping their own clients, but it's interesting. the terminology that gets used and to both of you, i think you need to understand something. when you're in that hearing and you're taking those stands, you are speaking for all of us. [applause] >> and took congressman jordan -- >> if you missed it, have to come back next year, still had some academic training today and tomorrow. so please bear with my friend alfredo ortiz. we're in a similar business. we're going to have a para pledge national anthem soon and
8:03 am
want to remind everybody, our national anthem in santa question mark. every time we sang the national anthem we're asking whether we are still a free and break people. does that star-spangled banner yet wave? alfredo is the president of the job creators network complexation founded by bernie marcus of home depot. alfredo, you are doing great work, getting lots of attention. what are you doing? >> the billboards behind me will say around wherever they are, the billboards that we put up is against -- remind socialism tanks. thank you drive to tell you with that response of those and especially from aoc, the gift that keeps on giving. what we want to remind people is that socialism takes but
8:04 am
capitalism creates. we firmly believe that. and what we do is we fight for the 30 million small business owners across the country that deployed 60 million hard-working americans across this country and they know capitalism in this country is what is going to make sure that they are able to live the american dream story. again, you mention bernie marcus. i could not be happier to work for such a great man, one of the greatest american dream stories in this country. for those of you don't know he was fired at 48 from his job and f-52 started home depot with just two stores in atlanta and today employs 400,000 hard-working americans in this country. so he knows all too well what it's like to be the small business owner out there that works hard every single day and we want to put up these billboards first of all to callout aoc and really the craziness that her beliefs and socialist party of democratic wing of the democratic party really represents and we're here to say today you heard this from
8:05 am
kudlow. we want to put socialism on trial and going to make sure that they lose. [applause] >> really appreciate all the great work he did. how do people learn more. >> please come join the fight. within folks from across the country. in a wrestler enough from the blue states are actually coming out and saying thank you for actually helping us to drive the lunacy out of the country. you want to join the fight and we ask you to do this, please go to job creators network.com, job creation network.com aware that those 24 243 downstairs in exhibition hall. >> you are the ones with the big bus. >> the troubled 4000 miles across the country last year hitting about 30 different states making sure people understand capitalism in this country is the way to go. >> thank you so much. >> thank you.
8:06 am
>> the american conservative union every time i hold cpac, every time i hold a forum anywhere in the country around the world we always begin every day with a prayer in the national anthem. we are privileged to date of three generations coming out for our prayer. colonel shy alone, nachman mostofsky and his son netanel. [applause] good morning cpac. start off a speech by thinking the host. the very first of these hosts of course is god himself. blessed are you, king of the universe has provided us with life and sustained us and brought us to this moment. i'd like to thank dan schneider and the rest of the amazing staff at cpac for putting
8:07 am
together this wonderful conference. today we're here to find out what makes america great. america is great because it is a beacon of freedom and liberty to the entire world. she teaches all the people can and have the god-given right to self govern and determine their own destiny. to enjoy the labor of their hard work and to freely interact with each other in commerce without coercion of government. this greatness is america its exceptionalism, but what is exceptionalism and what is its foundation? >> in about a month and a half, jews around the world will be celebrating the holiday of passover. jewish families come together and read from a book. it tells the story of the enslavement and ultimate redemption of the jewish people from egypt. >> in it we read from deuteronomy 26, you shall then recite as follows for the lord your god my father was a
8:08 am
fugitive. he went down to egypt with maker numbers and sojourned there but there he became a great and very populous nation. the great rabbis of old teach us the word to use in the torah there they became a nation teaches that people were -- in biblical hebrew words have multiple meanings. but the root of those meanings typically are connected. this word used by the great rabbis to express the creation of the first nation of people means both great and exceptional. the jewish people by keeping the unique language style dress and ever had the kinks is what made them great and, therefore, exceptional. these three standards were ideals that works in the cultural in the ancient world. by keeping these distinct characteristics, by being exceptional they became a nation at no matter what the hardships the jewish people faced for hundreds of years of brutal slavery in egypt, the jewish ethos remains strong, there
8:09 am
remain unique and exceptional. fast-forward about 3000 years later the pilgrims saw their fleeing england as a type of exodus from egypt and the settlement of the americas as entering the promised land. in 16/23 leader william bradford while in a book of the atlantic ocean said that the journey was as vital as moses and the israelites when it went out of egypt. when it finally arrived in cape cod and thank god for letting the past two the red sea. it winds up rcra settlors referring to plymouth colony as little israel while bradford to begin its governor went by the moniker moses. the idea that america was a new israel was not lost on our founders either. in revolutionary times it was used often. in january 1776 thomas paine described king george and his common sense as a solo and tempered pharaoh of england. on august 20, 1776, benjamin frank was appointed by the continental congress along with john adams and thomas jefferson
8:10 am
just moments after adopting the declaration of independence proposed the seal of our new country to depict moses dan on the show and asked in his hand the seat thereby causing the same to overwhelm pharaoh who sitting in an open cherry pick jefferson suggested a different exodus scene. he suggested the children of israel in the wilderness led by a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. this continues even after the war of independence on march 4, in his second inaugural address president thomas jefferson said i shall need to and if everything whose hands with our, let our fathers and israel of old from the native plant and plant the medical truthful with all the necessities and comforts of life. this ethos of exceptionalism has led the jewish people over the ages to punch above their weight on the world stage. that no matter where one finds himself, the matter the circumstances, one must strive for exceptionalism. this same ethos is allowed for our country started by small band of revolutionary to grow into the world power it is
8:11 am
today. exceptionalism the national level used to be a trademark of all western culture. today unfortunately it seems to only be practiced by two great nations, israel and the united states of america. this is why the bond that ties these two countries remained so strong. this is why you find the largest amount of christian zionists here in this country. after all, the word zion in hebrew is the basis of the word -- exceptional. americans in early the importance of positive nationalism, zionism brings forth because it is the same ethos adopted here in our proud americanism. this is why the united states more than anywhere else jews have lived in their 3000 year diaspora has been a source of tremendous blessing providing an payable freedom and liberty to people of all face pics i ask you to join in a moment of prayer. almighty god, we beseech you to bless this conference, the american conservative union and the united states of america to
8:12 am
allow us to proudly hold true to the ethos of exceptionalism, no matter what so that we may can continue to glorify your name by upholding the god-given values of truth, justice and liberty and in doing so we will keep america great. [applause] >> great, thank you. >> ladies and gentlemen, please rise for the pledge of allegiance led by alex mendoza, and remain standing for the national anthem performed by abigail roth. i am alex mendoza. hand on your heart, please. i pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of america, and to the republic for which it stands: one nation under god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
8:13 am
♪ oh, say, can you see ♪ by the dawn's early light ♪ what so proudly we hailed ♪ at the twilight's last gleaming? ♪ ♪ whose broad stripes and bright stars ♪ ♪ thro' the perilous fight ♪ o'er the ramparts we watched ♪ were so gallantly streaming
8:14 am
♪ and the rockets red glare ♪ the bombs bursting in air ♪ gave proof through the night ♪ that our flag was still there ♪ ♪ oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave ♪ ♪ o'er the land of the free ♪ and the home of the brave? [applause]
8:15 am
>> someone very profoundly once said many years ago that if fascism ever comes to america, it will come through liberalism. what is fascism? fascism is private ownership, private enterprise but total government control and regulation. the conservatives s so-called is the one that says mass government, get off my back, get out of my pocket. and let me have more control of my own destiny. between. >> their 2020 platforms have identical to policies already tried and not failing in the collapsed social state of venezuela. >> people lining up for food. that's a good thing.
8:16 am
>> i believe it was totally eliminate private insurance. the people who out there who like their insurance they don't get to keep. >> let's eliminate all that. let's move on. abolish ice, get rid of the agency that arrest and remove illegal immigrants of u.s. >> i think we we should get rid of ice we should probably think the story from scratch. >> why should we pay for healthcare bills for people snacking against our law? >> it's good for people who are in our country or contribute to this country success. >> applies to gang members of vagrants. >> these hot button issues like free college, free healthcare, appears to be struggling in this democratic primary. >> the three core dimension of national action of free public college, the cancellation of student debt and $15 an hour minimum wage. >> and how is that going to be paid? >> great question.
8:17 am
i mean, you know, so -- >> do you call yourself a radical? >> yet. that's what radical means come calmly a radical. >> nancy pelosi, do you recognize her as the leader for the house democrats. >> of course. we, as you are aware, we have come we are diligent. >> i think when we get rid of trump is a crashing economy, so please, bring on the recession. >> if you see anybody from that cabinet in a restaurant, you get up and you tell them they are not welcome. >> when they go low we kick them. >> under attack for anti-semitic tweets. >> no, thank you. >> we use the term the opposite of houston. what did you mean by that? >> i think it, what and it is like the settlement that are
8:18 am
increasing. i'm not the expert. >> they have a future of the democratic party. and not only at the israel but all funds anti-zionism morphs into anti-semitism. >> is a klansman as a kite in blackface is a democrat governor of virginia ralph northam. >> his nickname was a racial slur. they called me to man. i did and a dance contest in which i darkened my face as part of a michael jackson costume. i actually won the contest because i learned how to do the moonwalk. my wife says in appropriate circumstances. >> democratic centric elizabeth warren of massachusetts with a dna test to prove for native american ancestry. >> adina scrunchies part native american appears to be backfiring. >> neither leaders of the turkey measure speaking out against elizabeth warren.
8:19 am
>> if you're talking zero carbon emissions can use of fossil fuels within 12 years. >> that is the goal. it's ambitious and speedy how is that possible equity driving electric cars? >> we are not sure we will be able to fully get rid of parting cows and airplanes that fast. >> i really don't like their policy of taking away your car, taking away your airplane flights, of let's hop a train. you're not allowed to own an anycows anymore. >> we need to be bold. >> it's too expensive. >> democrats might be driving hard left and i wasn't happy to do so. >> socialism is becoming mainstream. >> america will never be a socialist country. we are born free here we will
8:20 am
live free and we will die free. for this has been a great movement. they try like hell. they cannot stand what we've done but we are doing the right thing and i will never ever, ever let you down. >> we will make america wealthy again. we will make america strong again. we will make america safe again, and we will make america great again. >> ladies and gentlemen, please welcome from blaze tv, glenn beck. [applause] >> good morning, cpac.
8:21 am
good morning. i'm honored to be here. thank you so much, matt and cpac for inviting me to speak. if socialism were a movie, socialism would be friday the 13th. because it seems to always start college coeds who all think that the death and violence issues a scary story that never happened, and they are so convinced that it will never happen to them, that they mock the old person with the one person in town who saw it first hand. they call him crazy, a net is still believes in ghost stories. and then they are all dead. then jason, his body, disappears and only the old guy who saw it coming south of the body is gone and we have the quote after sql. it happens time and again a movie theater after movie theater and country after country. make no mistake, stop trying to
8:22 am
hook up in some cabin in the woods, and prepare. because jason is coming. he's right behind you and this time he's coming with a hammer and the sickle. a lot of people think that democratic socialism is just a new coat of paint on old fdr democratic policies. but let me give you a quote from a box column. the title democratic socialism explained by a democratic socialist. the author writes, quote, there's proof in the long run it democratic socialists want to and capitalism. we have traced the call. it's coming from inside the house, and the senate. from the column, quote, many observers seek groups like like
8:23 am
dsa pushing for policies like medicare for all decide we must actually be something like new deal liberals who are simply confused about the meaning of socialism, but that's not true. medicare for all is an instructive example. medicare for all is not socialism. that which is only nationalized the entrants, not the whole health care system. but democratic socialists still quoting ultimate want something more like the british national health service. so why are they not going for that? we could ask yourselves why within that going for medicare for all when were talking about obamacare? again, quoting, because we currently don't have the support to push for and when such an ambitious program, social democratic reforms like medicare for all in the eyes of dsa part of a long i'm even process of building that support and eventually overthrowing capitalism, end quote. this is the philosophy of the
8:24 am
candidates, that democrats are now saying are the future of the party and the future of america. today we must dismiss two policies. the the first one is that capitalism doesn't work. the second is that socialism doesn't work. let me be the first to tell you that socialism does indeed work here in fact, it works perfectly as designed every single time. we've been having this debate for 170 years now. we look at socialism and say look, doesn't work, look at all the poor and the starving people. look at all of the piles of dead bodies. and they say, capitalism doesn't work. look at all the fat, rich people. but all the inequality. well, yes, we have to look at the goals of both. the goal of socialism is a quality all, the quality of
8:25 am
outcome. so the goal of socialism is that cometh in the goal of capitalism being the opposite must be the opposite. inequality about. yes, the precise and natural result of the free market. capitalism is the inequality of outcomes. or to put it another way, capitalism acknowledges and encourages merit. you cannot have merit without any quality. if you want to get rid of inequality, you must first get rid of merit. but capitalism safeguards the promise and hope of inequality. this is one of all stated in school. i've worked so to get an a or because we knew if we had an eight even if others had id or an f f, what it meant for us was the promise of bettering our own lives and her own prospects.
8:26 am
it's why we worked hard picus what many of us it up every morning, why we strive to create or invent, not just to better our world but you better ourselves and our station. that is the promise and the hope of inequality. with socialism it doesn't matter how hard you work com, how invee you are. everyone and everything is equally miserable. in a free market society, there can never be equality, and that's okay. bye okay, what a meat is the greatest system ever to be devised by man to lift entire continents out of equal misery and poverty. capitalism has made the world, yes, more unequal that we've done it by lifting billions of people out of poverty. and yet there still remains --
8:27 am
[applause] there still remains a pocket of people who are miserable because the free market hasn't gotten there yet, but it will. but while there are people in misery, the rate of children dying because of capitalism, children dying before the age of five has dropped by over half. yet, 70% of the people believe that health care and poverty has gotten worse. why is that? for one, cable news will obsess over plane crash for months, but just the life-saving improvement of life before the age of five that has been made since 1990 is the equivalent of averting 27 major plane crashes full of children every single day.
8:28 am
after a shooting we all hear how the media will say guns of the problem, but the lives saved due to just a few improvements made in medicine in the last decade alone is the equivalent erasing every gun murder, every gun related deaths for over 630 years. and yet you never hear about it. all we hear about is how capitalism is causing inequali inequality. you hear it's fewer people suffering and dying than ever before. not on television. there are still more to save but while socialism is making everyone except the elites in venezuela equally starving and desperate, the free market is busy quietly bringing clean water and electricity to the remotest and poorest parts of the world. we've been having the wrong debate. we have let them control and frame this discussion and cast
8:29 am
shame on capitalism by pointing at inequality. they are judging the system that has flaws but works by comparing it to a system that has never worked and never existed. it is all because at some point the left has come to believe the greatness about us and our species. to them, mankind is a virus. to them, masculinity is toxic and femininity is weakness. to them, the world is perfect if we could just get rid of man. and it all comes from the inescapable reality of our free market, the one thing that is absolute proof of our depravity, the inequality outcomes. athe promise of fluid inequality is why people came to america in the first place. we didn't come here to escape from the rich here we came here
8:30 am
to escape the system that doomed us to poverty and our children to poverty it is the recognition that inequality is a fact of nature, but through merit and equal justice. you can change your status and create a better future for your children. they say they seek equality because it would be more fair. but here is the truth. the trick of the language that has been used now for two centuries can socialism is about equality but it is not about fairness. capitalism is not about equality, but fairness and justice are its objectives. when it comes to economics, equality and fairness are not synonyms. the stated goal of socialism is to achieve equality for all. the true goal of capitalism is
8:31 am
to achieve liberty and justice for all. and that is why the left doesn't like our pledge of allegiance. that and god. [applause] it is an observable truth that equality does not exist in nature. it doesn't exist in beehives, and roses or tales of peacocks. and equality does not exist in man pic if you don't believe me, go ahead, challenge lebron james to game of one-on-one. challenge kasparov to gain of the chest. challenge ben shapiro to debate anything. [laughing] equality is not our natural state. one incredible awesome thing but each of us is that we are all unique individuals endowed by our creator with her own set of superpower skills and talents.
8:32 am
[applause] we all have, we all have our own weaknesses and challenges, and thank god for this would be a very boring world. you were blessed to be born in america where we all have the opportunity to first lift ourselves out of misery and poverty, and then voluntarily help the rest of the world. there is nothing wrong with you. there is nothing wrong with your desire to achieve your desire to work hard, to compete and yes to win. there's nothing wrong with your expectation to be rewarded for your work and then to enjoy those rewards as you see fit which of course may include helping the less fortunate. you are the only one that has the power to write your own story. your destiny is your journey to
8:33 am
make. here is the truth that made america great. all men are created equal and endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, and among these are life, liberty, and a plain english, property. no matter, no matter what government edicts are passed by any government. that cannot be taken away from you. they cannot be taken away by fascists, authoritarians, socialists, and yes, even democratic socialists. for slavery by majority, folks, is still slavery. [applause] you are the only one that can take away your rights through your choices, and even then just the right of redemption, to begin again, to for yourself out of the mud and reached again for
8:34 am
the heavens. capitalism, yes, it does have its flaws, especially now that it has lost its moorings. a free market and justice must always be blindfolded, being black or for, white, rich, left, right, it should neither save you nor continue. judge me by the content of my character, not the color of my skin or the color of my hat. [applause] we are americans. we are americans and we will change the world for the better once again. when we look to a bright future and recognize it is precisely the system of inequality of outcomes coupled with individual compassion and empathy that made
8:35 am
america great. and it is still the conservative movement embrace of our human nature, our human nature and an economic system that incentivizes achievement that makes us great. ours is a system that respects human liberty and ingenuity. ours is a system that generates prosperity for mankind. socialism aims to make mankind what we are not and can never be. it works to achieve a state of being that doesn't exist in the natural world, and it does fit the only way again, the only, only way it ever does, by making us all equally enslaved, equally poor and all equally dead. we are americans, but with all humility and without any more hesitation, we must stand up and declare that we are
8:36 am
conservatives in the tradition of washington and lincoln and reagan. and we must stand for the bill of rights which grants each of us liberty. we must stand for the rich and for the poor. [applause] we won't stand for those who have always been here, and those ancestors that came on the mayflower. and we will stand for those who are coming here legally today. their hopes are our hopes. their success is our success, and it will come because we stand for blind and equal justice, and we stand for the glorious promise of the natural inequality of outcomes for mankind. god bless. [applause]
8:37 am
>> is having used in this country and all of that changes today. we figured out the left is using us to secure votes and to keep themselves in power and to keep themselves rich. >> we hit the homerun. there are 7 billion people in the world, the majority of them -- if only if they could. >> my country to visit the comes sweet land of liberty i say. >> minorities did not belong to the left. we'd like to nobody but yourself and to cut. >> no, we are not satisfied and will not be satisfied. >> we are separate ourselves from the victim narrative. >> the democratic party has been able to dictate for too long.
8:38 am
>> its mentality you don't have to think a certain way just because you look a certain way. >> it is not racism that is keeping a set of the american dream. it is the life we've been told. >> we have to put this to the top to the present who was willing to do it. >> they will never take our found. >> this is our official declaration of independence from the left. this is the beginning of the revolution and we are going to save america. >> we remind america of the fears urgency of now. now is the time -- fierce urgency. >> ladies and gentlemen, please welcome director of communications at turning point usa and found, candace owens.
8:39 am
[applause] >> thank you, guys. it's such an honor to be here, really truly it is. i think it really starts at the beginning. two years ago i saw that the left champion minority voices. i thought that the left championed women and knows when to give us a platform and then i publicly declare myself a a conservative and i found out the hard way that that's not exactly true. if you're in my note in this country she don't subscribe to your emotions if you want to have intellectual discussions and you want to have a debate. there's a place for you on the left. fact you will be rejected. in fact, they will actually tried to destroy you and the way they tried to destroy me over the last two years.
8:40 am
many of you guys have followed my political transformation obviously come start on youtube with just an idea that we might consent principles might be an alternative. i question at the time is it possible a man that was loved by the media, donald j. trump, they loved him, loved by black america, every hip-hop song when i listen to going up they wanted to be like trump. beyoncé and jay-z were sitting poolside by mar-a-lago. he was the green. obama said that the american dream is to be like trump. was it really possible? that within 24 hours of declaring his political candidate for the white house he became a racist bigoted homophobic sexist rapist at one point, right? isn'is it really possible. i said of course it's not possible. it's no way it's possible. i could ask myself of the questions. how on earth is a possible at
8:41 am
the party that instituted to slavery and jim crow laws, racial terrorism in the kkk has the black vote? how is it possible? we gave up culture. the right give up culture. that's what's possible. that's of the left was able to do this. we gave up culture. >> over the course of the last 50 or six years it seems we've given up influencing pop culture altogether on the right. to certain degree that is completely understandable. i mean, there isn't a climate that is more hostile to conservative principles than the entertainment industry. we see that ever. he said when joy behar mocks the vice president for being faithful to his wife. is that what he did? when she mocks the vice president for saying that he loves jesus christ. is that what he did? you certainly are not going to win any accolades in hollywood
8:42 am
if you write the script and the protagonist as part of the nuclear family unit. in fact, would probably be chased out of hollywood. that's because the left has invested, disinfected and an infested culture at every single layer. [applause] this is why kamala harris will never ever be president of the united states -- [applause] is talking about tupac and biggie music that never get out which she claims she smoked marijuana to in college. because she thinks black people are stupid and the way she's going to appeal to us is by saying i smoked pot and a listen to hip-hop. how insulting is that? [applause] this is why hillary clinton who
8:43 am
is still not the president of the united states -- [applause] right? great. this is why she offered my community hot sauce, you guys remember, hot sauce as a reason to vote for her. she offered is hot sauce, and jay-z and a beyoncé contribution never talk us about policies, never talk about policies. their policies have failed black america for the last 60 years. [applause] the truth is that the left and the democrats never ever, ever ever want to fix black america because they stump on our issues year after year. if they fix issues that have nothing to stop on or talk about. it wouldn't be able to call the other side racist. they won't like a good tuesday broken, the doors to have opportunities. they want to continue to give us hahandouts and not hand ops --
8:44 am
ops. plus expert never in a million years the left predicts donald j. trump and okay with it also not predicting, the never predicted a minority awakening. they never thought they could ever lose the black vote ever. theif taken a vote for granted r so long. [applause] but things are starting to change and this time to change because and a chill because the magic secret is out tell you how i been able to transfer him so many hearts and minds in the minority community. secret, as i simply tell them the truth. the truth is on our side as conservatives. truth number one, america is not a racist country. [applause] the people that continue to tell us that have invested interest in racism. in fact, they are actively now
8:45 am
importing nigerians to come to racist acts in this country à la jesse smollett, right? this is maga country? no, this is your prison cell and i hope you rot in it, jesse. [applause] truth number two, abortion is murder. [applause] i asked myself all the time doesn't seem to you that progressive policies always lead to regressive results in the black unity? it's amazing isn't it? abortion so progressives want to move that forward. with black when representing the 7% of the published yet we kept for almost 40% of all the abortions that are performed in this country. we have a sick and twisted governor andrew cuomo celebrating that you can rip
8:46 am
fetuses, you can rip infants and babies from their mothers womb at nine months, nine months. absolutely sickening what were talking about here. who is a quick impact the most? in new york city for those of you who don't know, more black babies aborted the unborn life. a hard-hitting truth is that the most unsafe place for a black child is not on the streets pick us up when they see a police officer. it's in their mothers womb. more than half of the black population, black population would be double today if it wasn't for abortion. we've lost 18 million black baby since 1973. how is that for progressive policy. is that what they're celebrating? the left needs god.
8:47 am
truth number three. racially motivated police brutality is a myth. it is simply a myth. [applause] the number one issue facing black america is that fathers have been removed from the home. southaven incentivizing father absence. when a single motherhood rate jumped from 23% in the 1960s to a whopping 74% today, we have a problem. it's a problem in the left does not want to talk about. it is a destruction and the family. [applause] and truth number four, there are 3.3.6 million black children living below the poverty line there are 4 million hispanic children that live below the poverty line and the democrats want us to put illegals first. i say no, thank you. i say build the wall.
8:48 am
[applause] it's actually incomprehensible what is happened to the black community over the last 60 years. years. i said that what a green new deal. i want a black new deal. [applause] and the good news alexandria ocasio-cortez is that can be free. it doesn't cost $93 trillion. [applause] first and foremost stop selling is our own oppression. stop taking away our self-confidence by telling us that we can't eke as of racism, because of slavery. i've never been a slave in this country. stop telling us we need to be obsessing over past and we
8:49 am
should be obsessing over future and the potential that we have. [applause] stop telling as we should want to be hip-hop artists and basketball players we should want to be doctors and lawyers. [applause] we need to stop idolizing people like lebron james and start idolizing people like dr. condoleezza rice and dr. ben carson. [applause] how about givers school choice? that would be nice. stop murdering our offspring. the theme today is what makes america great and i'll tell you the answer. it's our philosophy. margaret thatcher said it best, europe was greeted by history. america was created by a philosophy here our philosophy
8:50 am
so perfectly laid out for us by thomas paine after the revolution war is common sense and freedom. it was common sense and then that the colonies should not have been governed by the british monarchy. it was time for an american exit. it's common sense today that the black community and hispanic community should not be covered a liberal ideology. it's time for a blexit. [applause] it's common sense that the left not care about racism, they don't about sexism, they don't care about misogyny. it appeared the end of that stuff. they don't have sexism. what they care about is the politics of fear. the left results to calling as i read it a racist, sexist, a nazi because i have the look going for me. [laughing] in the words that completely lost their meaning.
8:51 am
they have the arguments anymore. it's common sense to me that consultant did you start invading culture. because we're the the party that believes first and foremost in god, education guys forgot, it was our belief in god and in judeo-christian values that inspired culture in the first place. [applause] floors is arguably one of the most beautiful cities in the world, dripping with the greatest masterpieces from the renaissance. it was an explosion of art, of design, of aesthetic sensibility and almost 100% inspired by god, christianity and the church. conservatives we are culture. we can invade culture. we can aspire in touch commuters. we can't inspire great works of arts and great movements but we have to give in. we had to say that we're going
8:52 am
to fight the culture war. when i first started on youtube to hold a mirror up to ourselves to what we do broke up i was mocked by the left and the right. i was told there was no place for schumer and they could make youtube videos that were a flash in the pan. that we had to be more stern, more serious, more austere. and that is incorrect. we have to meet people where they're at. we have to be funny. we had to be satirical. doing billboards about aoc is great. she's giving us a lot of content right now. [applause] to wrap up by pleading with all of you to realize that the left is terrified right now because it takes just 5%. if we move the black vote 5%, the path of least resistance is awaiting the minority to me, awakening the black committee. we have been lied to, i've used and where shopping.
8:53 am
we make an effort to embrace the black committee, to embrace culture, we can save this country. want to thank matt schlapp for this amazing opportunity to stand in the states. what is psychology for hanging. i know it has been a tough year being a fan of candace l was constantly fighting, constantly punching back and i wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the grace of god without your support, without your comments that help me lift my head when it is been a bad day. i want to thank charlie kirk and turning point usa, the greatest student organization. [applause] and above all else just to thank god because you're in africa i was on youtube, what makes america great so quickly your life can transform if you stop viewing yourself as a victim answered you yourself as a victor and a piece of the american dream. god bless. [applause]
8:54 am
>> ladies and gentlemen, this is a conversation with representative devin nunes and tom fitton of judicial watch, hosted by "washington examiner" byron york. >> good morning. thank you all for joining us. we're going to talk today a bit about the russian investigation. and you know, there's always been two russian investigations. it is the one that is searching for the most elusive of creatures, pollution, and it is
8:55 am
run on a special counsel robert mueller and the justice department and the senate intelligence committee. and we hear about it 24/7. it's on everywhere, the news. but then there is a second russia investigation, and that is the one looking into what the united states government, what its intelligence agencies and law enforcement agencies did in targeting a presidential campaign in 2016. and we have here two men who have played key roles in looking into that. representative devin nunes of california. [applause] and tom fitton, the president of judicial watch. [applause] a lot of your fans are out there. so, represented newness will start with you. you're basically the person who invented this investigation. you started it and you're seeing it through to a number of
8:56 am
revelations. i'm going to ask you an open-ended question of what he think it stands now, your committee spent yesterday questioning michael cohen behind close doors, and i want to ask you where you think things are going now? >> from the very beginning of this investigation it was a narrative. it was a narrative that was created to first go after a presidential campaign and the kind of an october surprise pick that's really what it was about. so it was the clinton campaign, with their dirty ops, then sadly what we discovered is they fed that into the fbi and then it was used against a presidential campaign and then now sitting administration. so you have to look at everything as like a movie script, like a fictional movie script. so you brought up yesterday, so yesterday we had the presidents former lawyer in, not for the first fight. it was the second time.
8:57 am
he always came in behind close doors pickings already busted for lying to congress, and, for which you saw yesterday was very close doors, why? because they want it to be secret so that then they can run out and they can talk to all the mainstream media who were in search of that ever elusive collusion conspiracy, obstruction and will. i want to be clear. you held a because the chairman decided to in this secret room called the skiff we discussed the most classified information, and michael cohen does not have a government security clearance, right? so we can't discuss, he doesn't have classified information, and your members, you know classified things but you can't tell michael cohen because he doesn't have a clear. >> right. so to wake him so the audience understands, it's a way to keep everything secret even though there's nothing that michael cohen knows that would be classified and is nothing that we could share with them that would be classified.
8:58 am
so that's what i say this was all about building a narrative out because what did it would have? even though michael cohen we asked over and over, at least what you saw publicly, and even his lawyer last night said that he is not changing position. he testified a year and half ago that he had no evidence of collusion conspiracy or obstruction. it's still the same today. his lawyer said so last set of television. but what he did say now is there is this, you have to really where your tinfoil hat to believe this, that there's a secret code that donald trump talks in and that's what michael cohen knows. >> i want to come to tom and basically you are a leader in doing the sort of investigation outside of government. and you have perfected the art of using a lawsuit to try to shake loose information. what are you trying to shake loose right now? >> we want to know about the deep state effort to overthrow the president of united states. in many ways it's remarkable,
8:59 am
the president is a crime victim. he was targeted illegally by the obama administration. [applause] the story this week isn't about his testimony. it's about the abuse of power by congress targeting him and violating his rights by destroying his attorney-client privileges, taking document they don't have any right to. you know, mr. cummings may well broken interest offices and taken those documents, legally speaking, by illicitly bring in mr. cohen and taking document from him that he had no right to. at judicial watch is getting these documents out. the trouble with congress is that they're able to sometimes get documents but can't release them. and judicial watch uses this legal process, not wikileaks, a legal process to get these documents out showing the fisa abuses, showing that whenever injuries about the targeting of president trump through spy
9:00 am
wants come showing that christopher steele was paid with the fbi finds seemingly and a joint operation with the clinton campaign and the dnc. all that is coming out for independent investigations, we have heard elements of it thanks to devin nunes but the documents are only coming out through independent investigations despite objections of this justice department and this fbi what you think remains a challenge for those of us seeking transparency. ..
9:01 am
>> they've known for well over a year there's been no russia collusion, yet, he's been allowed to rampage through the countryside targeting these ancillary individuals over, in many ways, what are nonsense in prosecutions and no one is shutting it down. mueller needs to be shut down and i'm a common outlier here. there's a report about the transparency of the report. this justice department has no business writing reports on the president's conduct as president. his conduct on foreign policy, his decision to fire comey. we already have one shady doc day, byron, and we don't need
9:02 am
mueller's operatives writing another shady dossier, trying to overthrow our president. it's about protecting our republic. as far as i'm concerned, hillary clinton may as well have gavelled those hearings this week her ghost is looming over that. and, but for those investigations you can bet she'd be on the dock. >> these hearings are the direct results of the 2018 elections and you used to be chairman of the house intelligence committee and now you're the ranking member and that's an enormous difference, so the democrats are using the power that the voters gave them. now, as far as your investigati investigation, how can you carry on without the power that you had as chairman? >> well, luckily, the only thing that we don't have now is subpoena power, but we still have the power to continue to
9:03 am
investigate. one of the things i'm going to begin to layout is kind of the final phase of our investigation. some of that he is going to take the work that tomorrow's doing is very, very helpful to get documents out. but i think there needs to be -- that the white house is going to have to ultimately get involved to declassify all documents and --. [applause] . >> guest: ime'm not sure that i disagree with tom. i don't think that mueller has any report to put out that would be anything new, but if he does put out a report we'll have people claiming we've got to have this public, it's got to be made public. that's fine, but i want everything that mueller did public, i want every e-mail, everybody that they wire tapped, every warrant they got. every single thing that mueller used needs to be made public that needs to see. >> and the mueller's, misuse of the fisa applications, none of
9:04 am
that corruption behind the formation and operations of the mueller investigation are going to be part of this report. and this is why we need congress to the extent they're able to to provide the oversight and frankly, that's why we have judicial watch because we're frankly the only ones providing oversight of the mueller operation because congress is awol on it largely, and you know, the courts are extremely deferential to the prosecutors of the justice department and this is a big test for ag barr, the new attorney general. will he-- not will he stand up to president trump, but will he stand up for president trump and for the rule of law. [applause] >> let me go now to the congressman and looking back on these two years of the trump administration that you were the chairman, i think one of the things that really surprised a number of republicans outside of congress was when you began to try to find out what the fbi, what the
9:05 am
justice department had done in the trump investigation. you're a republican chairman. they're a republican-led justice department, and you're getting stonewalled by this. and i think a lot of republicans were kind of surprised by the fact that this republican justice department was stonewalling you on this. so the question is, what do you think was going on? >> well, the republicans never had the trump administration never had control of the justice department. i mean, that's really what happened. >> well, they appointed the attorney general. >> they were right-- right when attorney general sessions came in, his biggest problem was they had set him up and they came to him and said we've got this information, you're going to have to recuse based on these rules of the justice department and that was the single biggest mistake that i think attorney general sessions ever made and it really set back everything. because the attorney general at the time former senator, he of
9:06 am
all people knew when they came to him and said we're looking, we have a counter intelligence investigation into the trump campaign and you and everybody else, he should have looked in and said what the hell is wrong with you people. get the hell out, you're all fired. he had to know that the trump campaign wasn't colluding with russia. >> and this justice department has been frustrating for judicial watch because the deep state, frankly, the top state that's refused to exercise their prerogatives in terms of getting this information out, it's been worse for us in many ways in terms of transparency than it was under the obama administration. >> really? >> at least with the clinton e-mails, the obama administration knew the whole world was watching. once president trump came into power they thought they could do whatever they want because sessions had recused himself and the political leadership of both the justice department and the fbi are institutionalists. they kind of defer to the bureaucrats because there's always a good legal argument not to be trance parent.
9:07 am
but it doesn't help self-government and it doesn't help us stop corruption. the interests versus you have making sure these government agencies are kept under control. while they're doing full bore, the justice department against president trump, we're looking at clinton e-mails and opposing us and recently over the objections of this justice department that a federal court judge granted us discovery, we began gathering evidence. we'll be questioning hillary clinton's lawyer, justice department won't, congress won't and all of this is over the objections of the state department and justice department. it's extraordinary. these agencies are targeting the president for removal and i don't mean at the top level, but institutionally while protecting hillary clinton. the collusion continues. >> and don't forget, just add an exclamation point to this, remember it took our investigation to uncover the house intelligence committee the republicans, we're the ones
9:08 am
that uncovered bruce ore, the number one career official in the justice department sitting next door to rod rosenstein's office. he was there until we uncovered that his wife was working for fusion gps and he had essentially been acting as a fbi informant meeting with christopher steele after christopher steele had been fired. >> right. >> i mean, that's how-- that's how high the corruption went where you had basically people implanted at the very top of the justice department and hopefully now barr is going to get in there and clean all of this out, but we've had a two-year delay in the start of this administration. >> they're still hiding records. >> they're still hiding records. fbi doesn't think that text messages should be released for foia. all of those by lisa paige, peter strzok, justice department may have some of
9:09 am
them, but the fbi doesn't think you should none of them. >> and we know that the dossier was assigned and paid for by the clinton campaign, discovery, we would not have known that without the house, the house investigation. so-- >> and i want to say republicans specifically, remember the democrats opposed every single move at that we made. >> and i wanted-- >> every move, to make my own little plea for radical transparency in this entire investigation. we need to see pretty much everything that both the senate, the house, and the special counsel uncover in this and as an example, your committee, when you were chairman, interviewed 50-plus figures in the-- in your own russia investigation, including michael cohen, and including roger stone. there are these transcripts. >> right. >> and you have them and committee voted unanimously, meaning democrats, too, voted unanimously last fall to make
9:10 am
them public. so you had to send them to the intelligence community for clearance, just in case they might have something classified in them. and most of these were not classified, there was private people like michael cohen and roger stone, and a lot of foot drags has taken place and we still have not seen these. >> right. >> and what can you now, as a minority member of congress do to make that happen? >> so this is actually not congress's fault here, okay? we sent these last fall to the odni, okay, the director of national intelligence rights, who was supposedly checking with everybody, including the special counsel, sharing this testimony, okay? now, that was september, and here we are, almost-- well, i guess it's march. and there's absolutely no reason why this has not been
9:11 am
released publicly, but at the end of the day, this is the white house. the white house needs to pick up the phone, call the dni and say, enough! release this! congress said release this, get it out. >> why haven't they done that? >> that would be a good question tomorrow when the president's here and you guys can ask him. [laughter] >> look, devin nunes is the exception that proves the rule in congressional oversight. typically chairman don't do the work that nunes has done and that's one of the reasons we're in this position that we're in. [applause] >> this is a failure by the administration. it's a failure by congress, it's six months since we first learned about the coup discussion at the justice department and fbi. not one congressional hearing. judicial watch filed a federal lawsuitment why are we doing all the heavy lifting with virtually no help from the administration, no help from congress on this? this is a court-- forget about the national
9:12 am
emergency on the border. i think there is a national emergency on the border. there's been a national emergency in terms of this effort by the agencies to overthrow the president through these illicit coup discussions. if there were generals and colonels talking like this, you'd know what it was. because there are bureaucrats at fbi and doj, media is giving it a pass. and-- >> thank you so much. >> and again, byron is the exception that proves the rule in terms of oversight. [applause] >> now, we have to-- we have to close up, but i'd like to ask you in closing each to give your preview of the next two years in this. democrats are in charge through at least the election of 2020. the special counsel is still in business no matter what the rumors say. how does this end in the next couple of years? >> well, i believe it's going to end once you have full radical transparency including,
9:13 am
and i'll just finish up with this, tom mentioned it, but the media was in on this from the beginning. [applause] >> i often say that the only people in washington who didn't have the dossier from the clinton campaign or were house republicans and the trump campaign. everybody else had it. everybody in the media had the dossier starting in june, july, august, september, october, november of 2016, and you know it. this is -- it doesn't take any top secret, you don't have to surveil anybody. all you have to do is look at the press releases that the clinton campaign was putting out, the tweets that the clinton campaign was putting out, and then all the stories that the media was writing that ultimately they turned around and took those reports and fed them into the fbi and the fbi opened an investigation. so all of this needs to come
9:14 am
out. as soon as it does, i think we can get doj and fbi back on the road to recovery because if they don't do this, you will have generations of conservatives and republicans in this country who will not trust doj or a fbi and that's not a good place for this country to be. [applaus [applause]. >> from judicial watch's perspective, there's going to be more accountability for hillary clinton, more exposure. [applaus [applause] >> more exposure of the deep state machinations against president trump, but many ways more of the same, but the big x-factor is the president because his direct involvement on these transparency and anti-corruption issues can lead to historic transformation at the doj and fbi. if left to their own devices we won't get the information in a timely enough way or there won't be sufficient accountability and the
9:15 am
president, i would encourage, just to be the best president he can be and exercise the full authority he has to direct the justice department that is not a fourth branch of government, that works for him, to clean house and his personal involvement as it was initially with the release of the nunes memo famously last year, led to the fisa applications being released. his firing of comey, i'm convinced we would not know what we know about the deep state activities against him, but for his firing of comey. more of that and we'll have a big change. >> and much more to come. i want to thank everybody for coming here and allowing us a little time to talk. thanks very much. >> thank you. >> thank you. [applause] [inaudible
9:16 am
conversations] >> ladies and gentlemen, this is a line in the sand, a debate on america's role in syria featuring buck sexton of the buck sexton show, and moderated by the foreign desk's lisa daktari. >> good morning, everyone. we thought we'd start off this morning with a nice light subject like syria. [laughter] >> to get your day going. i have the pleasure of sharing the stage this morning with buck sexton the host of the nationally syndicated buck sexton show on radio and
9:17 am
podcast. over 120 stations across the country and a frequent guess host for rush limbaugh and sean hannity, and hills rising and the columnist from the hill.com and formerly a cia analyst in the counterterrorism center and office of iraq analysis serving in iraq and afghanistan and works for the nypd intelligence division on counterterrorism cases. [applaus [applause]. and to my immediate left is mark neissen a former white house speech writer, fox news contributor, columnist at "the washington post." he served as a member of the white house senior staff under president george w. bush lead writer on two state of the union speeches and before that speech writer to secretary of defense donald rumsfeld. he was in the pentagon when it was hit on 9/11. travels a quarter of a million miles around the world with rumsfeld and he is the author
9:18 am
of the cia terrorist interrogation program book called "courting disaster" and he's a resident fellow at american enterprise institute. [applaus [applause] >> a little over two months ago president trump tweeted, we were originally going to be there for three months, referring to syria, and that was seven years ago. when i became president, isis was going wild, now isis is largely defeated, and other local countries, including turkey should be able to easily take care of whatever remains. we're coming home. [applause] >> now, to get the conversation going i'm starting with a lightning round question and want you to answer in yes or no. did we accomplish what we set to accomplish in syria, mark? >> we are accomplishing what
9:19 am
we're setting out, but we're not done. >> yes or no, mark? >> almost. >> buck? >> yes, why -- yes, we've accomplished the mission. >> mark, i'm going to come back to you because it seems like you're not as resolute on your answer. [laughter] >> you know, i think there's a lot of controversy in the last seven or eight years with our involvement in syria. it's not just this moment of withdrawal. our questions, and they're very, very valid questions, were what do we want out of the situation in syria? do we want assad to stay? do we want him to go? are we just there for isis? do you think there was ever a clear-cut goal in strategy in syria and what was that? >> you're asking me. yes, i think there's a clear-cut goal which is to reverse the damaging effect of barack obama's precipitous withdrawal from iraq which allowed isis to recover. so, let me start by taking--
9:20 am
a story that explains a little of why i think it would be-- why i support president trump's decision to keep 400 troops in syria which he announced in the last week. when i was in the white house, president bush called me into the oval office one day and said i want you to write a speech revealing the existence of the cia's terrorist interrogation program and he gave me access to that, at the time that was the singlemost classified covert operation in the united states government. i was given access to all intelligence produced by that program and very importantly, i got to know the interrogators, buck's colleagues at the cia, who questioned shaikh mohammed and those behind the 9/11 attacks and met the man who water boarded khalid shaikh mohammed. [applause] >> and after khalid shaikh mohammed was water boarded he
9:21 am
he became a font of intelligence for our community. and the guy who water boarded him he would sit and talk and keep him company and one day they were talking in his cell, and ksm was explaining to this cia officer why it was that they were going to prevail and he said, that americans have powerful weapons, but they have a weapon that's more powerful than anything we have, which is patience. and he said, and this is a quote from khalid shaikh mohammed, says we will win because americans don't realize we don't need to fight militarily, but we only need to fight long enough for you to quit. that's the man who brought down the twin towers. barack obama made it come true. he withdrew our forces from iraq against all advice of his military commanders. at the time they had controlled no territory, like they don't
9:22 am
control territory in syria today and had about 700 fighters under arms according to john brennan cia director at the time. and within a very short period of time they went from 700 fighters to 40,000 fighters, they invaded iraq, and took over an area of iraq and syria the size of great britain and they began focusing on external operations again. they spread out their murderous tentacles to 29 countries and carried out 149 attraction in places like london, paris and brussels that killed over 2000 people and injured tens of thousands more. so when donald trump came into office he inherited this mess from barack obama and he took the gloves off of our military, and he unleashed them on isis, and he drove them out of their ka caliphate. [applause] >> and he deserves credit for that, but isis is not defeated. they still have 30,000 fighters
9:23 am
under arms because they didn't fight to the death in every one of those cities and they stole $400 million from iraqi banks they've invested throughout the middle east and so right now, thanks to donald trump, we have our boots back on the necks of the terrorists. if we take our boot off their neck they're going to regroup, reconstitute and do exactly what barack obama did when he took the boot off their necks and come after us at home. >> to what end? i hear this and it's a very valid argument, but this is where we're going to get a little jerry springer for you all, because this is the point where i know that buck and mark do not agree. the question i want to pose to you, buck, to what end? how do we define victory in a situation where over 400,000 people have died and it's produced 5 million refugees, 6 million become displaced and it does not look like there will be any stability in syria in the near future so to what end do we stay there?
9:24 am
that instability will be a breeding ground for terrorism. how do we define victory and to what end do we stay there? >> the mission is straight forward. the destruction of the territorial caliphate that led to the horrors that my friend and colleague laid out for you. when you're going to try to end an endless war, there will be risks and there will be trade-offs, but the alternative is endless war. it was because of the 9/11 attacks when i was in college that i joined the central intelligence agency. it was because of the 9/11 attacks i found myself in iraq and afghanistan multiple times years later. how are those projects looking now by the way? president trump came into office because he understood that these are not things that are going the way we have been told they would go. in the case of syria, if you look at a map right now of what's actually happening in syria, you'll see that this is a proxy war nightmare. the russians, the iranians, the
9:25 am
turks, there's, in fact, an area that doesn't get news coverage. italy. northern syria. now hts, they keep changing the name. it's al qaeda in syria, we're not focused in that clair. it's effectively the al qaeda affiliate taken care tri-- territory and there's a proxy war. never mind isis, we're not going to be out of this country in decade if we sit in place. 400 troops, it was a few thousand troops and those are the official troops, some of you know what i'm talking about, those are the official numbers in that country and we've drawn down to 400. this is heading in the right exdoctor. pr u.p. is right on the strategy. tactics he's talked to advisors on and a longer timeline out. what do we think the end is to get to your question. the assad regime isn't going anywhere, iran isn't going
9:26 am
anywhere, these other proxy war fighters in the region aren't leaving no matter what. we can work behind the scenes, work with allies, work with the kurds, there's a lot that we can do without establishing a permanent military presence. just look at a timeline of u.s. troops in iraq and afghanistan. the misses go up, they go down. it was over 100,000 under obama in afghanistan and now less than 10,000, have we made progress there. is this a place where you would want to send your children to fight? i would not want to go back because it's not a war that we would win. it's a war we could avoid losing, that's not the same thing. we need to be honest about this. the foreign policy echo chamber in d.c. 9/11 changes its mind about everything, everyone wants to go to think tank meetings and sound smart. we cannot win if it means rebuilding the countries for the people inside of them. so to your point about syria and what we're doing there, i hope that we have no permanent u.s. military presence on the ground because i'm telling you,
9:27 am
another emergency will come up. the kurds and turks will be at each other's throats and something will happen and perhaps some of you in this audience or your sons or daughters are going to be walking around the streets saying what are we doing here again? enough is enough. it's been decades already we're done. >> so let me respond to that. [applause] >> so, here is the thing. i understand that after 18 years of war a lot of people are tired of war. and i get that. and people ask the question when can we come home and the answer is, in buck's question, is that we don't get to decide when the war ends because the enemy gets a vote. okay? so if we stop fighting and they don't, that's not good for america. in traditional wars that we fought over our history, victory is pretty easy when you're fighting a traditional
9:28 am
enemy to define. a signing ceremony on u. is s -- u.s.s. missouri when they take off their uniform and sign a surrender document. >> isis is never going to sign a surrender document and al qaeda is not going to sign a surrender document because in bin laden's words fighting a war. and if we stop fighting and they don't, we lose fulfilling his prophesy. we don't get to choose where it ends. we get to choose where it can be fought. it can be fought over there or here. over the desserts of syria and afghanistan or fought in the streets of new york and in the pentagon where i was when the planes hit on september 11th, 2001. that's the choice we get, and that's the only choice we get and we have got to keep fighting to make sure these
9:29 am
people never come back and commit like they did on september 11th 2001. >> that's the position that has been taken in bipartisan fashion for a long time in d.c. now we've had millions of veterans, serving come back, serving come back. we need to set up permanent bases in yemen, in somalia, in syria, in afghanistan, in iraq, in pakistan, in the philippines. how many places are we going to say we need to fight them over there so they don't get us over here? at what point-- >> wherever they are. >> well,we're going to have to do a whole lot of military deployment for as long as all of us are alive. >> i want to push back on marc for a moment here. >> sure. >> specifically, when we all can acknowledge that it is not a traditional enemy. >> yes. >> but then we are employing the definition of the enemy dictating when the war is over. so, our enemies will forever be in syria because they're not--
9:30 am
when you have external factors in syria, to that point when you have 400 troops remaining, what would be your-- what would be your advice to the president in terms of how to go forward in this next chapter in syria? >> so, here is the question that we get from people who hold buck's side. why do we have to fight all of these wars, why can't they fight their own wars in these countries, right? fair question. that's what we're doing in syria, okay? so go back in history to the 1980's when one of our greatest presidents of american history, ronald reagan came into office. we were just at the end of the vietnam era when we deployed hundreds of thousands of troops to fight combat in vietnam and there was no hunger whatsoever in the american public to go out in massive numbers to fight in foreign countries. and ronald reagan came up with the strategy, reagan doctrine.
9:31 am
we're not going to send our troops to fight. we're going to send advisors to train indigenous to train in those countries and armed the nicaragaragu nicaraguans and other countries. what we're doing, our troops are not fighting except for the cia folks buck was referring to. the 2000 troops in syria are not doing the fighting. they are mostly special operations forces and they're artillery forces and forward air controllers. we've trained kurdish and arab fighters who are going out and fighting. american trainers plan their missions and provide them with intelligence and targeting artillery and air cover and the syrians, indigenous forces are doing the fighting and that's the strategy. >> buck, the last word. >> anybody who spent time with indigenous forces and u.s. military together. 400 the number we're talking about here is a place holder
9:32 am
for a conflict the size of syria and the problem that place holder gets a lot larger. remember, we were down to how many thousands in afghanistan, obama ramped it up to over 100,000 and to what end. look at troop deployment levels in iraq. how long will we even be in iraq, the most powerful politician in that sunday is al sadr who has the blood of u.s. servicemen on his hands and some of you were in that war and know what i'm talking about. we don't have a long-term presence in iraq, and we shouldn't in syria. all it takes is one incident one day, the point about reagan, what reagan was doing, we were on a peacekeeping mission in lebanon not talked about that often now. multinational peacekeeping mission not a huge deployment of forces we weren't fighting we were trying to keep the fighters an i part in lebanon next door to syria, in fact many of the same factions that we see at each other's throats today. many of the same groups. and then in one day, we lost almost 300 american servicemen because suicide bombers went
9:33 am
after the marine barrackses in one day and reagan realized this is a hornet's nest. we're not going to win this fight, and we left. that's another lesson of reagans that you should not forget. >> and osama bin laden cited beirut is why he targeted us on 9/11 and says that the americans,weak and don't have the stomach for the fight and we attacked them. and that decision helped to lead to the 9/11 attack. >> unfortunately we have to leave it there and hope we solved the problem of syria for us. thank you, have a wonderful rest of the day and thank you to your both. wonderful panelists. >> thank you. [applaus
9:34 am
[applause] >> ladies and gentlemen, this is a conversation about the opioid crisis with kellyanne conway, sara carter and hosted by scott walter. >> it's great to be here to talk about this critical problem in america. the numbers are just stunning. c.d.c. says the better part of 100,000 deaths a year, the vast majority from opioids and overdose cases. what is happening? is it getting better or worse, kellyanne? >> well, thank you, cpac for having me again and i'm really glad and happy that cpac is
9:35 am
shining a light on this issue. the president declared a public health emergency the first year in office and the president and first lady both work on this public policy crisis and we call it a crisis next door because it is indiscriminate. the opioid and drug supply, drug demand crisis does in the discriminate by race, by age, by gender, by economic status and geography. it's in every nook and cranny in this country. as harrowing as the numbers are, the good news, more interdiction and surveillance, more access to treatment, and recovery, the focus on the money that's now being given to all of these and education and prevention is starting to bend the curve in the right direction. quickly, i'll tell you that hr-6 was a piece of legislation passed last year. it passed in the senate 98-1, every single democratic senator running for president in 2020,
9:36 am
albeit unsuccessfully, voted for that legislation. and i want you to remember that when they tell you that we don't need a wall at the southern border, we don't need more resources for drug interdiction, they're already on record with their vote as saying that we have a drug crisis in this country and they voted for a whole bunch of measures, prevention, education, treatment, recovery, interdiction, surveillance, in hr-6. ctb and ice have interdicted historic amounts of fentanyl. fentanyl is an instant killer and a tiny little grain of it can wipe us out. little, little grain. and it's being laced into marijuana, heroin, meth, cocaine and street drugs. and i want to tell the youth out there watching and here in the hall, this is not just something you can do-- you can save a life. you can help destigmatize and break through the silence and stigma. you're worth more than taking some street pill. you have no idea what the source of that pill is. you have no idea if it's
9:37 am
increasing fentanyl. synthetic opioid may be manufactured in china and brought into this country through different ports of entry through our mail and yes, illegally as well, but ice, those who want to abolish ice would be giving up the 2200 pounds of fentanyl that they interdicted the last several years alone and my hat's off to the brave men and women attic atticus-- at border patrol and ice, thank you. [applause]. sara, kellyanne brought it up, and what are important things being done at the border? >> right now just the attention we brought to the border crisis is incredible. i've spent the majority of my career, especially the beginning of my career covering the u.s. southern border. yeah, you know, probably all the way going back to the daily
9:38 am
bulletin in california where i can tell you this crisis has been going on for decades. this is a national emergency. our children are dying. our children are dying. their parents are dying, mothers are dying. babies are being born exposed to drugs. and it's the worst crisis we've ever seen. i'm listening to kellyanne and thinking for the first time, and i say this over and over again, kellyanne and i know you've got the world on your soldiers because you have focused so much on the opioid crisis and you've done so much incredible work to draw attention to that, but it's sometimes-- it doesn't even feel like enough. i mean, it's so big out there. i mean, we have-- i have parents who say to me, s sara i had no idea there are drugs on the street look just like xanax and percocet, they're actually fentanyl and
9:39 am
heroin. and our kids are having parties, they call them skittles parties and bring pills and put them into bowl and everybody picks a pill that they want and take them. it's kind of shocking when i heard about this, randomly taking pills and some of these children unbeknownst to them are taking a xanax that's actually contraband xanax and they're dying immediately. there is no chance to save their life. they don't make it to the hospital. it was one mistake, one time, and their lives are lost. i really think we need public service announcements. i think kids need to be told what's going on. i don't think there's enough attention to that. please, i think this is probably one of the most important things and most important crisis of our times. i have spent so much time on the u.s.-mexico border, i can tell you how porous it is. i remember when i first began covering the border probably back in 2004, 2003, and border
9:40 am
patrol agents, immigration and customs enforcement, they would tell me over and over again, it's like theater. nobody's listening to us. not even in the administration. they'll put me out on a spot and i would go out there with them and i'm sitting here all alone, and i can't even call for backup. and i can hear and see people coming across the border or sensors going off. and at one point, believe me, border patrol agents, they stopped chasing them. i can't do it because i put my life on the line and then i get charged with something if there's an altercation. when is somebody going to do something about it? and i think we're seeing this administration doing this right now. [applaus [applause]. >> kellyanne, what are the most
9:41 am
important tools the administration can use? >> thank you, sara, i don't know if they realize how much work you've been doing on the border. i don't know if we had the ad queued up. but the ads that have been running and continue to run sponsored in partnership with outside groups. these are public service announcements that really bring home. i don't know if we have it. >> i'm not sure. >> we do have it, don't have time to show it. maybe we can share it with cpac members in a different way. they do run it and focused on 18 to 24 years old with the halo audiences of 15 to 30 years old. as i've said before, this crisis is indiscriminate by age as well and what's tricky about opioids is simple. it's legally prescribed, so that tiny bottle can be deceptive. it bears the label of the family doctor and the local pharmacy and it was legally
9:42 am
prescribed to help someone manage his or her pain. the issue is the overprescription, and i'm happy to say that under the president's leadership, in cons certificate with many different governors and health state officials and the whole of governor approach, much of the overprescription is starting to melt away because whether it's through guilt, professional, responsibility, fear of more, whatever the combination is, it's working because we're getting fewer pills into the supply chain. number two, there's something called national takeback day, going on eight, eight and a half years and it's the end of-- it's the last saturday in april and it's coming up and the last saturday in october. this is important because it's the day when you can bring your unused expired, unneeded drugs to police stations, local pharmacies, many other places. one thing we're doing in the administration, we're trying to make every day takeback day so you don't have to have the
9:43 am
pills sitting around six months until the next take back day. many community pharmacists, and chain pharmacies, certainly our national safety council provides ways for the public to dispose of these drugs safely and legally before, you know, in between the takeback days. the first lady has really brought great attention to an issue that sara just touched upon that i would like to amplify for a moment. the first lady, mrs. melania trump is committed to the babies, one in one hundred babies born in this country are already exposed or chemically dependent on some type of drug or substance. that's 150 babies each day struggling to take their first breaths. and since we already have the most pro-life president in american history, wanted to get that in there. [applause] >> this is a national extension of that is trying to help those newborns.
9:44 am
there is additional funding and additional awareness in the legislation that i talked about before that the democrats all voted for in the house and the senate. every single democrat that voted and every single democratic senator did vote, voted for that legislation and i don't want you to forget it. the other tools that are important is for people to understand, pain management need not always mean pain medication and that we're not talking about the millions and millions of americans. my own mother included. hi, mom -- who rely upon pain medication to get through their daily lives. that's chronic pain medication. we're talking, opioids are meant to be temporary pain relieve for collegeiate athlete or dental, and most are prescribed for dental surgeries and we're talking temporary pain. what people need to do, know
9:45 am
your own body, you have the right-- you do have the right to say no to overprescribing. when your pain is managed, you can bring those drugs somewhere else, but i want to tell you, the really great news, we don't believe that treatment and recovery stops in the doctor's office or in the treatment center. we're trying a whole of government approach to treat the whole person. the displaced worker grant program, for example, the things that we're doing at the department of labor, the centers at hud, private companies like mike mandel from my pillow is here and set up a recovery center in minnesota. thank you, mike. and belden industries in indiana, if you fail a drug test, instead of losing your job, which means the lose the pathway to recovery for many people, also. instead of losing your job, belden industries and other employers like them will let you keep that job, but you must immediately enter a treatment program and they're working
9:46 am
with local community colleges, and they're working with the local health professionals, unshattered is a nonprofit that helps women get back on their feet and helps to employ them, helps connect them with educational employment opportunities. so we're trying to treat the whole person and frankly, the issue has just been ignored for many, many years and we're not going to turn a blind eye to it. it's truly the equivalent of an airplane falling from the sky every day. and i want to think about that, if it an airplane was falling from the sky every single day we would stop and say why are the airplanes falling from the sky? so essentially the president is saying, pay attention to it that way. join me, he is saying, in doing our-- each of our individual smart part in combatting the single worst drug crisis in american history. >> and i wanted to say off of that, when you talked to parents who lost their children, what is one of the biggest lessons they learned,
9:47 am
they say take away the shame. it is our responsibility to face this because if we're too ashamed to face the truth, too ashamed to listen to our children and to listen to our family members, then the drug cartels are going to win, right? because they are moving these narcotics in. this is not just about the pharma industry, although you know, there's-- bear a lot of responsibility on overprescription and we've heard that before, but what about the drug cartels, sinaloa, juarez, the china market, you know, the russian market of fentanyl and the movement of these narcotics into the united states? we have to say no more. you are not allowed to poison our kids. you can try, but we are going to fight you every single day. we are not going to allow you to do this. we are going to back up policies that will change this and you know, and then things will change. if we choose to ignore what's happening to our country, we
9:48 am
are going to lose a generation of children. i can tell you that. i've never seen anything quite like this than when he went to the epicenter in ohio and other states who are facing this crisis, where the morgues were so overflowing with bodies that they had to rent freezer trailers to put the children in the freezer trailers outside of the mortuary. i never saw anything like this. i never saw the way people cried and begged and pleaded for someone to just pay attention and even those that are working under cover in the dea, you know, in places like ohio. i mean, ohio, for crying out loud, middle america and they say it's being divided up by the drug cartels. the drug cartels own territory in our own country. so think about that and think about what this crisis is doing and think about what this administration is doing because
9:49 am
for the first time, we're actually seeing an administration that cares enough to do something about it and not just ignore it. [applause] >> kellyanne, there are people no doubt in this room at this moment that are facing this crisis in their own families. what would you say to them? >> first, you're not alone, we see you, hear you and we're with you. the we is the whole of government approach across the federal government horizontally, and vertically it's the federal, state and local. and we don't substitute our judgment for what the health care providers locally and law enforcement and the families believe is the best way to combat this crisis. the best thing you can do is break through the stigma and the silence and let people know, learn how to detect the misuse and the overuse and the abuse, and also, i think, to really raise awareness because we've got a masterful job in this country raising awareness against drunk driving, for
9:50 am
example, or about different types of cancer. we've raised awareness, raised money for that, heart disease, thank god. but this is a bigger killer now than cancer, than breast cancer, than accidents, than gun violence. all of these different problems that we have, killers that we have been able to raise awareness about, and so, to are me, i think that number one thing it 0 -- to do is make sure people know two words in our everyday lexicon. and the president has been on the front lines of this as well. one is fentanyl f-e-n-t-a-n-y-l. i talk about not biased coverage, that's easy to see if you want. but incomplete coverage. if this country doesn't know what fentanyl is then lots of folks are falling down on the job and giving the news you can actually use, relevant to you. chinese fentanyl. it's an instant killer, the
9:51 am
grain that can kill you. 28 states have seen a massive increase of deaths from synthetic opioids, fentanyl. and number two narcan or naloxone. the surgeon issued this, that naloxone, we know how to use it. it's a reversing opioid drug, using it at our ymca's, libraries, and where the public is describing. god forbid if sara is overdosing, it can help reduce it, you can save a life. and finally, to understand that, in dozens and dozens, most states over 30 states or so have the good samaritan law. so, if somebody's overdosing,
9:52 am
you can drive that individual no questions asked, no liability to you, and that's saving lives because in the past people would open up the car door and fire up the engine away and the blueing corpse would roll out near the emergency room door. now you can go to a fire station, a police station, a hospital and that's saving lives. in many of the fire stations across this country, those fire stations are two, three, four times more likely to receive a call to respond to a drug overdose than at that fire. >> yeah. >> so they have been learning how to help administer care, life saving care and do that warm hand off to health professionals. there's so much you can do in your own community and it begins with each of us. i think since it's the crisis next door, the solutions are next door as well. thank you for that. >> yeah, this is a crisis that we're all dealing with, every one of our families, kellyanne's right. every friend. i'm sure we know someone in our neighborhood or our family that's dealing with this.
9:53 am
i wanted to add something to that. we did a nonprofit film, did a nonprofit film last year called "not in vain" you can see it at not in vain usa.com if you want to learn more about the crisis and connect with the people affected by it. i think this is so important, this is a top priority for this administration and it had to be and they-- i know they're holding themselves accountable for it because they're doing everything they can, but this is a top priority for each one of us as americans, if we want to save our country and we want to stop the poison that's flowing in and killing our citizens and our children. and we should not allow it to happen and remember, look at this as-- this is an attack, this is an attack on your kids and every time they go to school, in middle school, there's somebody there trying to recruit them, they're children, they don't always make the right decisions. we have to guide them, we have to teach them and we have to be there to watch over them as a nation and as parents. so, please do that, please.
9:54 am
>> well, thank you, sara. that's a great last word and everyone should definitely see the film "not in vain" and thank you all for what you're doing in this critical crisis. >> thank you. >> not too long ago, a friend of mine was coming in, and from castro, and we don't know how lucky we are. how lucky you are? i had some place to escape to. in that sentence he told us the entire story, if we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth. and this idea that government is beholden to the people that have no other source of power exempt sovereign, is the most
9:55 am
unique in man's relation to man. ♪ >> we're coming together at a crucial time in our nation's history. and we're making strides to freedom and liberty and also confronts determined foes and faces enormous challenges. challenges that strike directly at the core principles that all of us hold so dear. free enterprise, limited government. individual freedom, traditional values, and national security. across america and the world, we see where liberalism has left its devastating mark, in homes, in schools, in
9:56 am
communities, and in capitals. that's why our work is so important. and it's what the heritage foundation is all about. at heritage, we're not just a bulwark against the left, we're battleship for liberty. we are determined to guide america to renewed greatness and to take the fight for liberalism. that's why i'm so proud to serve as the heritage foundation's president and why i'm so honored to join with you here at cpac in the fight for greatest nation on earth. >> ladies and gentlemen, our next topic, nationhood and the border crisis, a conversation with senator ted cruz and rich lowery of the national review.
9:57 am
>> good morning, everyone. and welcome to our conversation with the newly elected senator from texas, ted cruz. [applause] >> i'm rich lowery editor of national review and as some of you might know, had a little bit of a complicated relationship with donald trump, but we had a little bit of a breakthrough, i think, a while ago. i went back to my office and i found this brown envelope from the white house on my desk. i was very curious what this was. i opened up the envelope and it's a ripped out copy of one of my columns that ran in the new york post and i consider the new york post the nation's newspaper, more importantly,
9:58 am
the president of the united states considers the new york post the nation's newspaper and a column i'd written, trump was a dominating and cultural presence, no escaping him even for republicans who want to try to and i thought i had a lot of incisive commentary in this. and what the focus was, there is only trump and trump had taken out a black sharpie, circled the headline and arrow to it, wrote, rich, so true, donald j. trump. so we're going to talk a little about nationalism and about the border crisis and senator, one thing that really came out of this shutdown fight and the contention over building more barrier at the border, kind of smoked out a foundational issue where you had top democrats, nancy pelosi among them saying
9:59 am
walls themselves are immoral. you had democrats saying, comparing our border barrier to the berlin wall, the barrier of totalitarian society meant to keep people inside rather than keeping people coming illegally outside and raised the question, to think that barriers are immoral what are you going to do with the barrier you have, someone you know a lot about robert francis o'rourke actually answered the question in an interview and said, yeah, let's break out the bulldozers and knock down the border wall we have in el paso, texas. what do you make of this? >> look, i think there's a technical description for what's going on, which is that democrats have gone bat crap cra crazy. [applause] >> that's a political science term of art, right? >> if you look at the medical dictionary, it's under b. it is, in fact, a psychosis.
10:00 am
look, they have-- they're getting more and more and more extreme on every issue. think back to the state of the union. the state of the union was a display of just how radical democrats have gotten where they embraced, you know, they sat there embracing late term abortion. now, some of us are old enough to remember bill clinton standing there and at least claiming he wanted to see abortion, safe, legal and rare. he wasn't telling the truth, but at least emphasizing rare. that's no longer the position of the democratic party. they are now for late term abortion up until the moment of birth or if you're ralph northam after birth. ...
10:01 am
voted in favor of 350 miles of new border wall. the shutdown we just had a month ago was over 234 miles of new border wall. they knew border wall. look, i'm not smart enough to explain how you are willing to shut the government down to stop 234 miles anywho and athena day it's all simple. it is emotional visual aid. this is not based on logic. they don't have an argument. here is their reasoning. trump equals wall. we the democrats hate trump, therefore, no wall. that's it.
10:02 am
[applause] >> so let me ask you because when my great frustrations of watching how this played out and imagine the same is true a lot of people in the room today is republicans had unified control of government and washington, d.c. and if i'm not mistaken, for two years. >> yes. >> how was that we only came focused on achieving one of the presidents signature promises when nancy pelosi was becoming speaker of the house? what happened in the prior two years that there wasn't funding on the barrier? [applause] >> it is a very good question. let me say both good and bad. let's start with the good. i do think with the republican president, republican majorities in both houses, i think we won some big, big victories the last two years. we shouldn't lose sight of those. we passed and a stored tax c

13 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on