Skip to main content

tv   Vice Pres. Pence Others at Conservative Political Action Conference  CSPAN  March 1, 2019 12:02pm-2:00pm EST

12:02 pm
now, i don't agree necessarily with just a point our troops anywhere for any reason. i think we do it to be very cautious about that and make sure we are not engaging where we're not necessarily needing to engage troops. but we do want to make sure we are a stabilizing the region and if we can do that through many other means other than troops, we want to try that first whether it's diplomatic relations, whether it is utilizing allies other than the united states, assisting them with the processes that might help stabilize venezuela. that is very important. making sure that a gets and is also very important. we've seen this many times over where the united states has been engaged in those types of humanitarian crises providing support for those that are delivering food supplies, medical supplies and so forth. so there's a number of reasons that could come forward we present to congress in order to justify military involvement in
12:03 pm
venezuela but i think there are many other ways we can be involved before we actually engage troops. so i think it's important that it comes to congress, we talk about it, we have a thorough discussion before we move forward with any of those types of activities. >> what's happening in venezuela is the result of socialist system completely collapsing. as we celebrate ronald reagan this week and at cpac, it's important to look at why america want to eradicate communism throughout the world. why it's beneficial to american interest to democratic allies who believe in the free market. can you talk a little bit about how having juan guaidó takeback venezuela and give back its wealth? be used to be a very wealthy country and implementing more of a free market system turning venezuela into an ally to the united states would be better than having maduro stick. >> was no question of that and were supporting the right guy. venezuela just not too long ago was one of the richest nations there was in the world and we see now what socialism that to a
12:04 pm
great economy. and so i think we're doing the right thing and supporting him. the mansion features a big reason we need to but i think it also is a reminder for all of us in this country that socialism doesn't work. it's just not going to work, it hasn't worked and we've got to defend woodlief is the greatest thing we know is capitalism. it's a great example of what happens when you lose control and it's something we need to be as a country as a capitalistic nation understands that if you're not careful things can turn the other way. we have to support the new leadership. we are doing a great trumpet i feel like the others, , not showing disinterest in right now but supporting with supplies is the best way to go. but let this be a reminder to us, capitalism doesn't work a look at cuba, look at venezuela and look at america. the greatest country in the world. we need to stay that way and we will stay that way, the leadership we have today.
12:05 pm
>> i think the venezuela situation over the last couple of months and the embrace of guaidó is a perfect example of america. america is a leadership to go in first and endorsed we do and say maduro has to lead but they did it in conjunction with a number of different allies across the world and eventually the ones that were not on the initial push came in behind the ones that were. the administration was criticized for saying president trump doing this by himself with no leadership, no ability to understand what's going on. the rest of the world disagrees. 50 plus countries later later who agree with the united states and are backing guaidó and you look at who's on the, russia, cuba. can you talk about the kind of process of getting that many countries do not just support the united states and the leadership but to support getting venezuela back to the democracy and free markets as of? >> great question. first of all we know america first is not isolationism.
12:06 pm
this also reflects the sophistication of the foreign policy machine that is being run by john bolton and mike pompeo. the media suck would give any credit for that but i participated in interagency meetings in the national security council and it is quite an impressive operation pick the present is getting very good advice from his national security advisers and some very difficult questions, you know, the left just can't get over this. they keep attacking the administration, amateur for not know what they're doing. but look this was really an expert operation of diplomacy to put all these nations together. we started it but we didn't start it alone. went of the nation's behind us that we knew the time to recognize guaidó after he was recognized by the venezuelan parliament. i think it was an example of how foreign policy is working but also at of the america first approach to foreign policy works. >> syndicate, you're nodding your head.
12:07 pm
>> yes. i just think of this example venezuela but i think about our actions all around the globe, too, whether it's in the middle east, whether it's our support that we've given to ukraine in the war against russia. we get so many of the countries, yeah, thank you, we love ukraine. ukraine. the support that we give to these other countries we are not alone in doing that. we have built our alliances through many decades of very hard work. so it's not just venezuela but we are showing leadership around the globe. that is america first. when we're stepping forward and we are leading and others are following. so venezuela is just one of the more recent examples that we have seen all around the globe of america first, america leadership. >> you can't get away from president trump's foreign policy without talking about trade. this is a huge part of the way he is negotiating with north
12:08 pm
korea, the way he has been implementing sanctions and economic costs to russia through allowing new caps to coming to europe through other means. can you talk a little bit about trade is directly tied to president trump's foreign policy and how he is just that to with the american interest first? >> he's to get as good as the president of that. i'm a businessperson. i own car dealerships i know about negotiations of trading is one of the great ones. the fact that he's been able to sell these, sell the fact of trading has really been responsive to this country and he's done a fantastic job and he selling and, of course, when tariffs, talk about terrorist, talk about china, various other things. issues a big stick. all of a sudden they're waking up and say maybe a better talk to this guy. we are seeing some good things happen. we he is dealt with china is the
12:09 pm
right way. they are beginning to come to the table. and so i think he's on the right track. as with assets, they have assets, let's but let's be fair and if it were heading in the great direction from an economy standpoint. i think the american economy is going to continue to be strong because of his efforts in selling america to the world. >> right. >> with the greatest product that is, united states of america free markets capitalism, low unemployment. he selling the to the world and the world is responding. >> he's really use versus specific issues of trade. he met with representatives from the chinese government who were in washington, d.c. on behalf of president xi and he signed a a deal what we're now can export more soybeans which is beneficial to our economy but also allows us to not be buying some a chinese goods. can you talk about how that impacts our foreign policy and also trade and community selector? >> absolutely, and it is very important to the people of iowa
12:10 pm
so that soybean deal really does help out. it bridges the gap. there's a lot of pressure on american farmers right now and for iowans, , china is our fourh largest export market. so you would think then that farmers can maybe they are supporting president trump but in all actuality the farmers i'm hearing from, they are saying we stand behind the president and a quote i will keep you from one of my soybean farmers, interestingly enough, after our last act roundtable cometh into the meeting he slapped his hand on the table, stood up and he said i understand why the president is doing this and i get it and we stand behind on the. >> he said, what i don't understand is why we didn't have president that did this year's ago. so president trump is standing up for american farmers. >> the chinese have treated us so badly. not just as mr. navarro stated
12:11 pm
with force technology transfers, intellectual property theft but also with our commodities in trying to renegotiate contracts to lower costs what hurt our american farmer, our american rancher. it is vitally important we get this right and that's why we're glad that he is negotiating the way he is. we hope that the chinese deal comes to fruition very soon but i'm sure the president is going to come out with a very good deal which will put america first. >> i want to talk about china because china is something that is brought up as a strategic threat, geopolitical threat of people i feel like brush them off is doing just in the best interest of them. i was in china last year. talk about the belt and road initiative where they want to run trade routes all the way through asia and europe and africa. it's not a geopolitical project. it is simply about trade which anybody knows anything about china knows that's not true. how much of the threat is china,
12:12 pm
and is their ability to be patient to have a 100 you plan an advantage to them compared to the way we do things which is in a much faster pace? >> china is certainly somebody we can build jolie we have to be aware of them and, of course, economically we have to be aware of them. their choice of the to defeat as economically as opposed to militarily. that's why under president trump to begin to slow them down from what they did, binary intellectual property, a lot of involvement in our country. we are aware of it. they are buying real estate in a country and we are now more aware of it now probably that we were before because were president trump is on acknowledging china. we had to be very careful with the militarily but also i do think as i said their goal would be to beat us in truly, to beat as from an economic standpoint. the way we're going now with three and 4% growth and lower an appointment i think we have showed them that we had the best economy and we see that by the
12:13 pm
beginning to lower some of their chairs and talk more about it. let's do not lose sight of the fact, china, we are aware of china. we are not afraid of john we are aware of china. economically, and socially, militarily, all those things. i i think with slow them down to the point that they may even have surprised themselves that they of issues. >> some domestic issues of their own. speaking of china, convincing our allies the china is a problem has been interesting one to watch. i was in israel last fall and we met with some israeli official who seem to think just accepting money from china would not come with any strings attached. for example, china offering to build a $10 billion train for them and then thinking that was just going to be okay. when you look at the geopolitical situation in the middle east, israel leaked united states and he didn't think building a relationship
12:14 pm
with china would become a problem for them when you to the relationship with the u.s. many of us begged to differ and i'll be curious about what your perspective is on that? >> well, repeated administrations have underestimated the threat from china for years. they let china get along with trade deals and take advantage of us and steal intellectual property that favors chinese companies, that basically the trade deficit is something that we have tolerated. part of it was without china is a developing nation. we will fix this down the road but this is the first president to stand up to the chains and say we want free and fair trade. we want you to stop stealing our intellectual property. it's a big deal. our companies spend billions developing advanced defense and factory technologies, , and attorneys are getting it by stealing, often stealing it from factories that our companies are building in china. this has to stop.
12:15 pm
i wanted to add one other point, senator ernst made a great point about american leadership in this is a lot to do with america first. america first means the strong and credible united states and that is crucial to the national security of our country and to global security. the president inherited some real serious messes in the world stage because of barack obama's policy of leading from behind, which is what he did in the middle east, and strategic patience for north korea. and america first is countering these disastrous policies that really left president trump an enormous disaster to do with. i think he's able to deal with it. we've made so much credit with north great because he is given with these messes. keystone of the the diplomatic world and making the world a safer place. >> i want to get over to europe here while the presidents policy is america first, he also wants of the countries to put themselves first and to pull
12:16 pm
their own weight we've heard a lot about russia over the last two years. one of my favorite moments of the trump presidency terms of foreign policy was when he went to the nato headquarters in 2017, the new fancy building and he stood there and told him that the building was too expensive and they were spending all this money on the fancy new offices you can then he stood there and said you guys did to pay your 2%. not because we're asking you to pay more but we're asking you to pay what you pledged to pay in this alliance. he was criticized for throwing our nato allies under the bus, you know, some are asking nato to pull their fair share in beef up their defense forces against russia was seen as a pro-russian move. here we are now with all these nato countries at least for the most part paying their 2%. i'd like to get from of you what your perspective is on where we are with nato and how president trump's tough love has led to a stronger united states and a stronger alliance in europe.
12:17 pm
>> i'll go ahead and start because i think jen stoltenberg would say that america has done very well for him and for nato and her allies by allowing them to step up to the plate a little bit more and contribute. and that is really important that everybody had ownership of the nato. they are getting what they should've been many, many years ago. i just returned last week, i want to push back because i would say that the president is not pro-russian as many in the media would like to portray him. i just returned from ukraine last week where this president and this congress has provided the ukrainian army with the military equipment, the leaf laid necessary to push back the russians in eastern ukrainian front -- the lethal aid.
12:18 pm
that was this president that did that. and the ukrainian general that is in charge of operations out on the eastern front, he said it was what was provided by the american military, the american people that pushed the russian tanks back even further out of range. so that was this president where we have seen in action in the past, we've seen action by this president against russia. so that is because we have leadership. that is because we are engaging with our allies and i'm very glad for it and i i think the american people are glad for it as well. >> well, the european states had a commitment to pay their way in nato. they were not paying it. there is administration set please pay and we didn't push them. when we don't make the states hold up for the commitments, we are less credible. the president says you have to pay your bills. and this is a serious matter,
12:19 pm
just like he says to the chinese ukip cheetahs in international trade. it demonstrating a credible united states on the world stage and book i've seen the president talk to foreign leader and you don't want across this president. he's tough with him and i can't give specifics but but, i mean, he stands up to rogue states, rogue leaders who try to take advantage of us and to think he's making america safe again. >> well, i'm glad he did it. i mean look, in real life terms you can try the car and not pay for the car. and you know, there's a thing called return on investment. i mean, when we got investment we're getting whatever return but he can't give return on no investment. and so we did the right thing in telling people to step up and get skin and again. as you said, when you have skin in the game you are more apt to follow how things are going. he did the right thing picky did some of, very few people done and pass. but the united states, the greatest country in the world
12:20 pm
throughout history has financed a lot of opportunity for people. we haven't been paid back and i think the fact that he would tell the other nations you need to step up, you need to pay your fair share, enjoy the results but give return on investment, not no return on no investment. i think it's creating a new level of responsibility in the world from other countries that just thought that we were never going to see anything. just go away. it's not going away. because we don't have an infinitesimal amount of money but we have an infinitesimal amount of energy of how people succeed. >> we'll have a few months left saluted the closing remarks. as we can choose to celebrate america as a leader in the world, being respected again in the world, where you see us going in the next year when it comes to our place in the world and what this president is going to be able to do? >> i think it is really important and we continue to interact with our allies and begin do that from a position of strength. that is very important and again
12:21 pm
i want to say how courageous i think president trump is for actually throwing at the diplomatic playbook. i think that's pretty amazing that our president has gone against all status quo, , shakig things up, doing things differently but in a way that really does position as quite well. we are america first. america leading but we're showing our allies that we're committed to them as well and so i think we'll continue down that path with president trump's leadership and we will certainly support america being first. >> the president has reestablished credibility on the world stage. he has established himself as a powerful and credible leader that world nations have to do with her i think china is and does. we could get a good deal with china. i think north korea has understood this is a credible
12:22 pm
president. you will not settle for a bad deal and it's all part of the president for pulling out of the fraudulent iran nuclear deal. i played a role in advising people who did that. this did not stop iran from pursuing nuclear weapons do we know iran is still sponsoring terrorism. i think our country is on a very good trajectory after the disastrous foreign policy of barack obama. >> last word to you. >> well, i think the next 12 months are going to be great for this country and great for the will because we are bleeding again. the fact that president trump got elected because he wanted to change things and i bothered a lot of folks but he has changed things. he's in everything he said he would do. the world sees that and i think we have a great 12 months ahead of us. i mean, we are leading. we are the best and we are going to see, we're going to see things change with china i believe to our benefit. we are going to mexico canada begin to come together for some great things. we're going to see europe, russia think continued be on
12:23 pm
their heels and so, but we have to support our president. and the fact of the net is a lot of people are not but all of us who believe in him, believe in concert values leave america's a greatest country in the world second to none. we have to stand with him, walk with him, speak with him to make this happen. i look forward to the next 12 months. >> all right. i get very much. we appreciate it. enjoy the rest of your weekend. >> thank you. ♪ >> the word education comes from a latin word that means to lead forth. fourth is a value laden term. it raises a question, which way
12:24 pm
is fourth? how do you know? the easy answer in our time is it just depends on which way you want to go. young people almost always say that today, they have been taught to say that. that's the wrong answer. we understand education to be the pursuit of the highest answer to that question. discovering the right way by reading the greatest books by the greatest minds in history. the good, , the truth, and the beholden. this is the way forth. this is education. >> there was a 10% increase. one-third were conservatives.
12:25 pm
>> may be charlie craig is on the college campuses. >> a special thanks also to my friend charlie kirk of turning point usa. >> turning point usa. >> we're fighting on college campuses every single day, fighting for the next generation and to know with the backing of the most successful president of our generation means the world. >> each of you is taking part in young black leadership summit.
12:26 pm
>> the economy is look at that barack obama is claiming credit for it. >> exactly what -- >> people like me are racist? it cheapens real racism. anybody can becomes a racist. there is there evidence i am a racist. >> what an exciting time to be alive. >> i have family members in mexico. that's not fair to them. talk about a double standard. they are being openly racist on their network and laughing about it. >> what i believe that america is the greatest country ever to exist, right? >> look, this is about we are going to win. >> the executive, the judiciary and the legislative branch of government but there are career employees, folks and headlines elements of each of the
12:27 pm
departments and agencies who are here for decades. there are professional elites of their hands on the levers of government day in and day out and the actually control many of the functions that people think of when they think of government service. they are not too interested in answering you are answering those of congress permits and media. they had all objectives and their own timeline and did not wish to be disturbed or exposed in any way. that's where judicial watch comes in and it's to our investigations and all losses we uncover information. we are in a constitutional republic and what our constitution guarantees that we the people are sovereign over the government. the people are owed service either trusted servants. >> ladies and gentlemen, a conversation with ambassador bill hagerty and secretary wilbur ross, hosted by pete
12:28 pm
hegseth of fox news. >> good afternoon, cpac. [applause] welcome. you are in for a treat you with two very smart gentleman. i checked my watch on the way up to the state. lou clinton is still not president. so that's the upside. hey listen we have fascinating opportunity with the secretary and ambassador now to dig into a topic which before this president, frankly, put a lot of americans to sleep. not anymore because it's one of
12:29 pm
the biggest games in town. you might say when it comes to trade policy, president trump may trade policy great again. truly. because he understood how far behind we had fallen because we let other people cheat on the system which put our company is behind and today with a couple of individuals with special titles and special roles who will dig more into trade but also southeast asia, some the things going on on the part of the world. let me start off my first introducing u.s. commerce secretary wilbur ross. [applause] the 39th secretary of commerce distinguished bases were before they came into government. the mission of the commerce department you to create the conditions of economic growth and opportunity what you think you've done, mr. secretary. appreciate that. i will also u.s. ambassador to japan bill hagerty. [applause] thirtieth u.s. ambassador to
12:30 pm
japan, also had a distinguished business grew before going into government. now he is our representative to the third largest economy in the world, 126 when people and one of our strongest allies. and i don't have 45,000 employees, no mi a am i a representative to 139 people. i just does a morning television show. so let's start. mr. secretary, your opening remarks. >> okay. you may wonder how did we get into the trade mess we are? and to learn that it takes a a history lesson. right after world war ii, the u.s. had big trade surpluses and it was our policy to help europe and asia recover from the ravages of war. so we gave direct aid like the marshall plan and we may trade concessions. that was great. the only thing is they should of
12:31 pm
time denominate it and instead locked it in with various agreements. so now we are making the same concessions to china, to germany, to japan that were very appropriate in 1950 and very inappropriate in the year 2019. why do the second and third largest economies in the world need big trade concessions from us? somewhere we are is locked in to bad situations. 60% of all the items that come into the u.s. come in free of any tariff. 60%. no other country has anything like that. so we are inadvertently the most free trade people. and if everybody were free trade, that would be fine but they are not. that's the problem we're trying to fix.
12:32 pm
>> mr. ambassador, you're right in the middle of this conversation as well. >> i am but i first would like to say what an honor is to be here with you, secretary ross. i've known you for more than a decade and you are truly one of the great business leaders and great industrialist and the united states and were so fortunate to have you as our commerce secretary. [applause] >> dissector was president of the japan society rebuking our commerce secretary and his insight from his influence have made huge difference in this immunization policy towards asia and i benefit present from his advice, wisdom and mentorship so thank you very much. >> what he doesn't tell you is he was on the transition committee that helped pick cabinet secretaries and very happy with this choice for commerce secretary. >> indeed. >> there you go. >> pete, it's great to be with you again. i was fortunate to be with you with the reagan national defense
12:33 pm
form a couple months ago. you did a terrific job. your military service, your insight, your enthusiasm and patriotism inspires all of us. >> thank you very much. >> it's a delight to be with you. [applause] >> i'd like to also say thanks to matt schlapp and dance not for inviting me to be here at your audience, , those of you here, those who are dialed in. the topic today were talking about what makes america great is a topic to celebrate. american is unique nation. there is no other like it. not we here today to discuss those that would try to challenge our greatness, those that would try to blunt our competitiveness. those that would try to move our jobs overseas. i i did he tell you under leadership of this president we are bringing our competitiveness back. we are realizing economic potential and we are bringing those jobs back to america with a level playing field.
12:34 pm
[applause] >> you know, pete, in 2017 the president sydney on a unique assignment. he sent me to what is now the third largest economy in the world, japan. he sent me there, he sent me back there because he knew i was in japan before. i lived there in the 1980s you can let me tell you the the 19s was a very different time in japan. at that point japan had just eclipsed the soviet union as the second largest economy in the world. back in the '80s japan was two-thirds of the u.s. trade deficit. if you go forward to today, china accounts for about 50%. if you think tensions are bad with china today, you should of been in japan in the 1980s. secretary ross will remember this. the united auto workers were here bashing japanese cars with sledgehammers.
12:35 pm
congressman would use the same sledgehammers to smash japanese radios right over here on capitol hill. japan inc. is the number one threat to the united states economy. a lot has changed. >> ally has changed. that new threat to our economy, geopolitical foe, is communist china -- >> although speedy you talk about trade. where are we on that? >> well, first, let me explain why it's so important, the deficit with china and what they're doing with it. there are about 300 billion or so ahead of us counting both goods and services. over 200 billion of that they spend on defense. so two-thirds. most of the other one-third is spent investing in projects in less developed countries trying to get them into the chinese orbit rather than hours.
12:36 pm
and the final bit of it is spent on space. they're trying to develop hypersonic rockets that would be very hard for missile defense to overcome and are doing that under the rubric of peaceful space exploration. so it's not just the trade deficit itself is bad enough, but what it enables them to do with the extra cash they're getting in is even more serious. >> this administration is linked those two things, trade and national security -- >> they are linked. >> but in the minds of so many americans in previous administrations trade was an abstracted it was assumed we would free trade do matter what even though the was reloading. right now washington wall street are all eyes on the negotiations over china. take us under the hood a a lite bit if you would. >> okay. there are really a few different pockets to the negotiations. the first and easiest one even though it gets the most press
12:37 pm
coverage is the trade bucket itself. it's not hard to china to buy some more soybeans. they buy moist of their soybeans from countries other than us anyway. so all they would have to do is switch a few to us. same with alan gee, easy. same with boeing. boeing is a very big exported to china -- lng. they are going to their -- growing the airports. the second part is harder. that structural reform. changing the laws so that there is respect for intellectual property. changing the practices so that they don't force technology transfer. changing the behavior so that they don't steal our technology by infiltrating people into companies and into even national laboratories. that's the hard part, but the
12:38 pm
hardest of all is the fourth and most important piece and what will prove to be the most contentious with them, and that's enforcement mechanisms. when china was put into the wto by bill clinton, they put them in on the theory that now they would abide by the rules, but they didn't think to have an enforcement mechanism in case their theory was wrong. so now 18 or so years later we have to fix that. we have to have a proper enforcement mechanism. so what it will consist of a something like the following. pure got a ministerial level meetings, periodic vice ministerial meetings. but most importantly, if they can't resolve disputes, particularly about structural reforms, we need the ability to
12:39 pm
take unilateral action that punishes them, whether it's big tariffs or quarters, whatever we're going to do. we need the ability to take unilateral action. no trade agreement -- >> if you were saying -- will do something about. >> we have to have an automatic ability to do something about it. and you would be amazed how much having unilateral ability to meet a punishment modifies behavior. >> interesting. true especially when you have a big old military. trent one you talk about japan than but japan today is one of our biggest allies in the region in the world. how did that transformation take place and how central is japan to this whole conversation? >> think about what japan is located, t, we are in a neighborhood. just to the north of russia russia. to the west north korea and just be on that the shadow of communist china. things have evolved.
12:40 pm
we've worked hard on a trade relationship it with more work to do there but japan is become our strongest military ally. with over 55,000 troops in japan. we are the only forward deployed aircraft carrier situated in japan. that's an amazing presence in japan is an amazing ally in keeping the entire region safe, peaceful, not only open for commerce but open for freedom. >> why are they an ally? what are they such -- why do her enemies often turn into her greatest allies and why in this case is that too with japan? >> we took a deliberate effort after world war ii to work with japan to bring the economy forward. i had the opportunity to read some minutes of a meeting between general douglas macarthur and the american chamber of commerce in japan from 1948. general macarthur went to the american businesspeople about 40 of them at the time nsn to reach up to the friends in manila, singapore, shanghai to get them
12:41 pm
to open their markets to japan again. we aggressively worked to rebuild the japanese economy we were very successful. imagine what it's like in 1980 when i arrived. so successful that japan had overtaken use srf number two economy in the world. but today japan so with a couple of decades of tough economic times and i think they are fallen into a much better realization and is best to work with the united states and work with us and the type of structures that the sector mentioned to try to create a set of rules and practices that will facilitate fair trade we need more reciprocity and thanks to the sector, thanks to ambassador lighthizer we're working hard on that and i feel comfortable that we will get there and i think if we do japan will become the model for how to deal with china and other nations that need to be brought along that same path. >> reciprocity and the idea just because we are open for free trade doesn't make it free trade is the other side is cheating or has tariffs stack up against our companies. mr. secretary, if you talk about the state of u.s. manufacturing
12:42 pm
in america today. i think the fact is 500,000 new manufacturing jobs in the united states since president trump took office, optimism of use manufactures at an all-time high. how did that happen and what do we do to sustain it? >> i think that happen for a couple of very clear reasons. prior to that pre-2017 we had lost 5 million manufacturing jobs over the years, 5 million. the way they came back was first of all regulatory reform. worst thing for business is to be worried about what's going to be the next new regulation that raises your cost, interferes with decision-making. one of the first meetings i took when i came into commerce was from a very large mining company in the u.s. they have what is probably the world's largest copper deposit
12:43 pm
open mind, open pit deposit so easy to get out. they have been ten years trying to get the approval to do it. we were not looking for one penny of u.s. government money. they just wanted permission to do it ten years. not very many managements have the endurance to wage a war for ten years against the bureaucrats. what we found, i have in my office a gigantic chart, it is much taller than this, that has all the steps that a major infrastructure project has to go through. >> i seem desperate unanimity steps that are in it? 120. after almost each one of those is the ability for naysayers to litigate. that's what it takes so long. many infrastructure projects, the cost of lawyers and environmental advisors and
12:44 pm
people where people can be as much as 30% of the whole project. so it cost money. and isn't just environment. energy. we freed up energy. as you know we are now the world's largest energy producer and we are becoming the world's largest -- [applause] energy exporter. that's a tremendous, powerful development from a geopolitical point of view because it removes our dependency on the very couple get part of the world, namely the mideast. it's not that we don't want to be allies with the mideast, we do, but it's nice not to be dependent on anybody. that's one of the good things energy did. the other thing it did, it brought costs down, electric utility costs have gone down in portland because of natural gas.
12:45 pm
the trade balance is getting better graduate will get better because of lng. so regulatory was one big thing. >> absolutely. >> the other big thing is tax reform. individual people tax reform. i thought it was quite ludicrous that the democrats were initially complaining that the refunds the first batch were lower than they had been a year before. you know why? because people got their refunds up front. we cut the rates. so how would you get more back if you had put less than? so individual tax reform was powerful, and corporate tax return, reform in some ways even more powerful. the ability to write off capital expenditures is huge. and if you look at the recent gross domestic product figures,
12:46 pm
corporate investment both in software and in physical aspects is a big contributor to the economic boom. >> and distort economic and strengthens her overall hand speed is everything multiplies. >> we'll have a couple minutes left. even in japan i'm sure you see what the fake news me to come the left-wing media says about this president and his accomplishments but from where you sit a summit in this administration, wrapup your view of how the president is engaging with the world, use the world is leading america. >> the president is very popular in japan. i was just visiting their early this week one of the largest gas consumers in japan. they will receive the first shipment of u.s. lng this year. as president, the president said, we are not just exporting energy. we are exporting freedom. they are reducing their independence on russia, on the note is just as a sector said. they're getting a better business model at a better price and a better feedstock for
12:47 pm
everything they're doing angst of america. >> you can clap for that, that's cool. [applause] backstage you mentioned a story that nissan. a good news story. >> terrific news. my compliments to the secretary andalucia because the japan just announced this week that nissan will move the manufacture of its luxury engines that are manufactured in japan today are going to move to my home state of tennessee. that's american jobs. that's more capital here. that's great news. >> it's the type of intended consequence of you think pharma nafta, canada and mexico you don't think jobs coming from japan but that's exactly how it was that. trends to we'll have about 45 seconds left at your final thoughts. >> just to pick up on that, the real target that we had with the u.s. in ca was imports from southeast asia because they were the big beneficiaries because the treaty was originally
12:48 pm
written in such a way that had a huge loophole for foreign parts to come in. what they did was they specified individual parts. well, that was decades ago. most of those parts are not even used in cars anymore. so it proved to be a very worthless treaty in that regard, and the percentage requirements were too low and didn't have a specific requirement for high income areas. we fixed all that with the new thing and it's a combination of usmca and the fear of auto tariffs is why we're suddenly getting these things in. >> organized of adults in charge, right? [applause] thank you for being here. i will close by saying by the way this is being streamed live on fox nation as well the new online streaming platform a foxnews chapter if you don't have fox nation, you are missing out, okay?
12:49 pm
it's netflix for conservatives. at a great documentary -- i have a great documentary about jerusalem. ladies and gentlemen, join me, ambassador bill hagerty and secretary wilbur ross. [applause] >> [inaudible conversations] >> ladies and gentlemen, it's time for our next panel. examining the contributions of the only democracy in the middle east. please welcome ambassador
12:50 pm
ettinger. professor eugene court of which and elie pieprz, and aylana meisel of the tikvah fund. >> all right. hello, cpac. i think that between the four of us were flown something like 24,000 24,000 miles to be here with you and it's wonderful and you're all fantastic and this so much fun and it's been worth every single mile. right? >> amen. >> amen. let's get started. america loves israel and american conservatives a special
12:51 pm
of israel. [applause] that's right and israel loves america. and as they learned in 2017 the reasons and the expression of this relationship, the reason for the expression of it go much farther than most people realize. american financial and political support and american ideas most important of all have really helped build an exceptional society in the middle east after they were going to look at some of the strategic, cultural and economic contributions that issue makes to the world. so with that i i want to turn o our panelists. eugene, you teach law and you are an expert in geopolitics. could you give us a quick overview of the value of having a western ally in the middle east like israel? >> is a look at a map of the world, from all the way in northwest africa, morocco, all
12:52 pm
the way as far as iran and beyond, there is an unbroken line of authoritarian governments, dictatorships and countries and people hostile to american values. in the long flight of countries that spans a third of the globe, there's one little dot that breaks it up. having that dot be there as opposed to having it not be there makes a vital strategic difference to the united states. it's a question of whether there's an unbroken continuous plane of hostile countries come hostile monarchies, islamist states of whether there's a little island, a beacon in the middle. and what's amazing about israel is regardless of the state of geopolitics, those chain of countries have had difficult relationships with america. during the cold war many of them, syria, egypt, algeria, were soviet allies. so israel was a vital player in
12:53 pm
the cold war, the what island american western democracy against the soviet bloc. and he did soviet troops and a little-known fact actually deployed against israel in both the six-day war and the yom kippur war in 1973. within the soviet union collapsed so you think who needs israel anymore? we are after the cold war. before you know it an entire new wave of hostile ideologies suites the middle east and were soviet communism had briefly been assented is replaced with a new ideology in many ways more dangerous radicalism. and as that sweeping the middle east come this to get only one country that breaks the flow, the breaks the continuity of islam a schism. i think what drives home the importance of visual most concretely is the current war in syria and the current attempt of iran to become a power and take over the middle east. so many countries have
12:54 pm
participated in bombing campaigns against isis and isis was ultimately defeated. isis was an extremely dangerous anti-western element. we were right to oppose it. israel is the only country other than the united states to fight both isis on one hand and iran on the other hand. israel is only country to of said there is no good here between isis and the syrians and the iranians, other than the united states israel is only country to bomb both and that's a major contribution to global peace and security. building on that, maybe we can have some examples you need to america. you worked a lot with the american congress, america since israel and a package which is substantial. what does america get back in terms of save lives, money? give us a couple of examples that would be great. >> first and foremost, israel is immensely immensely grateful to
12:55 pm
the u.s. for providing the vast majority of defense technologies and defense equipment which is required by israel to survive in the middle east. however, contrary to conventional wisdom, the u.s. does not extend foreign aid to israel. in fact, in reality the u.s. makes an annual investment in israel, and the question is what is the extent of the rate of return? and i am going to share with you the facts about the rate of return of a few hundred% annually in real tangible terms come in dollar terms. for instance, israel received from the u.s., is receiving from the u.s. the f-16 airplane manufactured by lockheed martin
12:56 pm
in fort worth, texas,, for which again we are very grateful here however, on a daily basis we have shared lessons learned by the israeli air force with the manufacturer. we have become the most unique battle tested laboratory for lockheed martin and for the entire u.s. defense industry. those lessons have been transformed into well over 600 modifications in the current generation of the f-16. upon visiting the plant i asked the plant manager if he could quantify in terms of dollars the response was ballpark, mega billion dollars bonanza to the manufacturer. we saved research -- years of research and development. we promote u.s. products about throughout the world and that basically means more export and
12:57 pm
wider base of employment. [applause] we are talking about the late general alexander haig he was commander-in-chief, supreme commander of nato forces, later on secretary of state, and his reference to israel was that israel is the largest american aircraft carrier which doesn't require a single american on board being deployed in the most critical area for america's national security and cannot be sunk. he concluded this reference to israel by saying, if there were no jewish state in the western flank of the middle east, then the u.s. would have to deploy more real aircraft carriers to the indian ocean and the red sea and the mediterranean to deploy more ground forces, all of which would've cost the american taxpayer something between
12:58 pm
15-$20 billion every single year, all of which is saved by one jewish state. to sum up this very tiny synopsis of the huge inventory of benefits to america from its ally in the middle east, israel, i would say that when it comes to force down and -- fourth-down and ten yards to go with six minutes on the clock and five points behind, the american quarterback can trust the israeli wide receiver to catch the ball and scored the winning touchdown. [applause] >> elie, he just make you some of the massive economic benefits we get from the military cooperation. i'm wondering if i could turn to you to discuss some of the kind of better-known economic
12:59 pm
miracles startup nation. israel is a high-tech wonder and agriculture wonder. it's in a a place it as very fw resources. the first ever privately funded space launch a few weeks ago. that's worthy -- [applause] >> yeah. and is hoping you could talk about some israel and the patient was in agriculture or he measuring eight or elsewhere that helped the world. beyond that you do something very specific and unique with economic develop and so i was hoping you could share that with the current. >> my pleasure. first question is, what is judea and samaria? it is often mischaracterize as a west bank, is of the region israel liberated from jordanian rule 11967, terminated the racist policy forbidding israelis and jews to live in that region. subsequent to that auspicious
1:00 pm
start to that auspicious history, israelis have built a model of economic coexistence in the region where israelis and postings are able to work together. and, in fact, just last week we launched a brand-new initiative, initiative of my good friend, an israeli jew, together with an arrow the muslim to create the first ever judea and samaria chamber of commerce that will be allowing -- [applause] it allows us to look at the region as a beacon of coexistence, how we can work together, live together and i think that something that is extremely important. ..
1:01 pm
i believe that this chamber of commerce itself is probably one of the most important chambers of cheommerce in the entire wor. as you said, there's a lot more than that. it's often referred to as a startup nation. you look at a country as small as israel, yet from a humanitarian perspective, we are all over the place. humanitarian aid is sent to houston, when houston had the flood a couple years ago, now just sent aid all the way to brazil when they had a major bridge collapse. it's not just that, israel even sent aid to iran. you heard that right. israel sent aid when iran was
1:02 pm
hit by an earthquake because the fact that the mullahs are horrifically anti-semitic doesn't prevent israel's humanitarian instincts to jump into place and say we need to help the iranians who frankly probably are friends of israel. the leaders are not. i think that's a very important point. [ applause ] very important point, that is how israel is seen in the world. on top of that, we have mentioned all their other kinds of high tech -- just this week i saw israel, it was announced the top 50 fastest growing high tech companies, six of them were based in israel. but it's not just that. think about something even more substantial. in israel, even the liberals don't believe in global warming. because in israel, israel is the only country in the world where the desert is growing smaller.
1:03 pm
through free market water technologies, the desert is actually blooming and i have to say that that is frankly a phenomenal metaphor, the desert blooming, for all of the growth we're seeing in israel which is growing at such a preposterous rate it would almost be biblical which i guess you can say is appropriate for the holy land. >> that actually provides an excellent transition to the next question of some of the shared cultural foundations between america and israel. i think that they contribute a tremendous amount to what israel gives the world. the theme of this cpac is what makes america great. i will suggest and i would love the panel to react, that what makes america great or makes israel great are some of the values that we share and embody, as our good friend jeff says, exceptionalism is common to both of these societies so you are
1:04 pm
the only person born in israel on this stage. you are also the only person who wears cowboy boots all the time. 40 years, he told me, something like that, the first pair. so you might be one of the best israeli representatives to speak about the identification of america, american and israeli culture and identity. maybe you could take us back to some of the shared historical and cultural foundations. >> maybe a brief reference to what we just heard. in israel, there are 250 of the american high tech giants who operate in israel, research and development centers in an attempt to leverage the brain power of israel. recently at a board meeting of intel in the silicon valley, the ceo stated that it's not for
1:05 pm
intel's research and development centers in israel, intel would have been decimated by the global competition. going back to the roots of the very special attitude by americans towards the jewish state, it precedes the establishment of israel. in fact, it precedes the arrival of the first jewish pilgrim that started in the 1620 arrival of the mayflower and the arabella. the passengers of both boats left, according to the documentation, modern day egypt, they went through the modern day parting of the sea, the atlantic, and the destination was the modern day promised land. in order to illustrate that, i
1:06 pm
come like the rest of us from jerusalem, israel. we have one jerusalem but in the u.s., there are 18 jerusalems going back to the early pilgrims. in the u.s., there are 32 salems. salem is the original biblical name of jerusalem and those are only two examples of a multitude of towns and sites bearing biblical names which suggests the 400-year-old roots of u.s./israel relation, in 2019 those of you who were before or will be on capitol hill here in washington, you will see the chamber of the house, the bust of the head of moses staring at the speaker. there are 22 other busts but moses is in the center, confronting the speaker. the rest stare at moses. when i asked the curator first
1:07 pm
time i saw that, why is that bust different than all other busts, the response by the curator was moses is the source of human law and therefore, the other law givers stare at moses, but moses and the speaker, if you cross a small street and you go up the stairs to the u.s. supreme court, you will see at the main chamber above the nine supreme court justices, at the ceiling, moses holding the ten commandments. that's one of seven or eight engraved statues of moses in the u.s. supreme court and last thing, if you visit austin, texas, on the ground of the state capital, there's a monument of the tablets with the ten commandments, as is one in oklahoma city, and another one in little rock, arkansas.
1:08 pm
all that highlights the deep spiritual and national security synergy between the leader of the free world and the junior partner named israel. [ applause ] >> eugene, maybe you could take us a little more into the modern day and explain what americans might find unique and desirable and appreciate about israeli culture. >> so we have talked already about the security, military, economic importance of israel, but today, perhaps one of the greatest challenges for america is not economic, is not military. it's cultural. it's spiritual. it's about the content of our culture. and at a time when traditional western culture is under extraordinary attack on campuses, in media, israel is a model of something that seems to be working. looking at a few really basic
1:09 pm
indicators of how is a culture flourishing, is a people flourishing, we see that something special is going on in israel. so israel, even though it's not one of the richest countries in the world, it is always ranked as one of the top ten countries in life expectancy. israeli life expectancy continues to rise and it is on par with some of the wealthiest countries in the world. something for america to notice. in america for the past three years, for the first time since world war i, life expectancy has gone down for three continuous years due to -- not due to medical setbacks in technology, due to some kind of malaise. due to the opioid crisis, increase in suicide. israelis, on the other hand, have a vast optimism. in all surveys of people asking them are they happy, do they think the future's going to be a better place for their kids, israelis are some of the most optimistic people on earth. they report the greatest belief
1:10 pm
that the future is going to bring something better. at the same time, israelis are also the most fertile nation in the west. israeli women have 2.8 children on average which is almost double other western countries, other european countries. there's nothing like it. the rate is actually stable or growing. again, it's not clear whether israelis have children because they are optimistic or they are optimistic because they have children, but there's something pointing to a deep cultural success. i think one of the main ingredients of that success is nationalism is not a dirty word in israel. israelis have a sense of national fervor. [ applause ] and israel is a secular country in the sense it's run in a secular system, there's no rabbinic authority. politicians are predominantly secular but there's a deep respect for religion and the
1:11 pm
role of religion in people's lives and the most secular politicians show that respect, and there's a sense of community, a sense of national purpose, a sense of religio-historic purpose. we see that doesn't make israel a backwards country. it's one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world. but it gives people a sense of meaning that makes israel a model for cultural forces and at a time when ideas of traditionalism and nationalism are under attack in our culture, we can look to israel as a model that these values are not only inconsistent with being forward looking and xhoes positivecosmo make you happier and live longer, too. [ applause ] >> you take international delegations around judea and samaria all the time. maybe give us a picture what
1:12 pm
seems to move them. >> you know, when i said i host a lot of international delegations, the one that sticks out the most is a delegation i took of indian chiefs who came to israel to see who is indigenous in the region. we were driving through the area and they asked me what grows in this area. there really isn't that much. but there's lots of grapevines, lots of olive groves, grapes and olives. he goes elie, is wine, olive oil, are they consequential in your culture? i said yeah. we just had the holiday of hanukkah, the symbol of the state of israel is a candelabra, the meals always begin with the blessing over the wine. there's a hierarchy, jews have
1:13 pm
hierarchies of everything, we have hierarchies of blessing. the blessing over wine is the most consequential, the most special. the chief says to me that's not surprising, because any indigenous people build their culture about what grows in the environment. then he says it never occurred to me, and he says something else which also hadn't occurred to me but should be pretty obvious. he says the muslims who live in the region, they don't drink alcohol, they don't drink wine, they said you will not find another indigenous person, peoples in the world, who would take 50% of a grove in the region and say that's out of balance. to sum up, when people come on a tour, they realize, thmen are fm mars, women are from venus, and jews are from judea. >> all right. we have about five minutes left. i'm going to ask that we keep our answers to about a minute.
1:14 pm
this is the last question round. so americans overwhelmingly support israel. certainly more than any other country in the entire world. but anti-israel voices have risen on american campuses and certainly in progressive politics and i'm wondering how you see what we do to keep this relationship strong, because -- feel free to elaborate on it but i really believe that the strength of this relationship is part of american exceptionalism and part of what makes israel great as well. so. >> i have always believed that education is the solution for either ignorance or misbehavior. it seems to me that it's incumbent upon those who understand the deep 400-year-old roots between our two countries
1:15 pm
and those of us who understand the benefits to both countries to keep educating other people about that very rare synergy. i gave a few examples, but one which is very topical these days, maybe unfortunately, american troops go to afghanistan and iraq. some of them go through israel. the reason they go through israel is because they spend two, three weeks in israel, trained by the top experts on identifying improvised explosive devices, ieds, or facing suicide bombers, and on facing car bombs, and that has been responsible for very great reduction of american fatalities, going back to the first gulf war. at the end of the war back in 1991, i was in washington and i heard then secretary of defense
1:16 pm
dick cheney giving a speech about the war. the first sentence was thank you, israel, for eradicating the iraqi nuclear reactor in 1981 which spared us, the u.s., a nuclear confrontation in 1991. how does one measure such a unique contribution in terms of american lives or mega-billion dollars? the bottom line is we should pay attention to the very, very special ties between the two countries which are not a one-way street but rather, mutually beneficial two-way street which highlights the rare synergy between the leader of the world and again, the junior partner. it's very critical for israel's survival but at the same time, renders mega-billion dollar benefit to america, both
1:17 pm
militarily as well as financially. [ applause ] >> one minute. closing thoughts? >> it's important to understand and i think it's clear from what we have all said the importance of israel to america is not a conservative issue. israel is not important just to american conservatives. it's important to americans and support of israel needs to be understood not as something conservative, but as something all americans like. at the same time, the bipartisan nature of that support is crucial. at the same time, it takes two to be bipartisan and what i think we are going to increasingly hear in congress is calls on republicans to support israel less, to support it more like democrats to have bipartisanship, to get everybody on the same page. we want everyone to be on the same page. it's important to be on the same page but it's important to be on the right page. bipartisanship is crucial but it's important to remember that the relationship with israel
1:18 pm
isn't a democrat or republican relationship. it's an american relationship. one should never be afraid to pursue those policies strongly. [ applause ] >> all right. elie, one minute closing thought? >> i would just actually restate and reiterate what eugene just said. i think that really is the key point. there is a knee-jerk reaction to try to water down pro-israel support for israel in order to pacify those on the left who are having much more difficult time with it. i think there needs to be a recognition, frankly we should follow what the trump administration has done. vice president pence spoke here a few minutes ago. moving the embassy to jerusalem was such a critical thing because what it showed was that we are no longer going to be lying and trying to lead people on that jerusalem is up for debate. jerusalem has always been and will always be the eternal capital of the jewish people. when this administration moved
1:19 pm
that embassy, it made a very important statement that we're not watering things down and there needs to be a recognition that if you do, if there is an attempt to try to water down support for israel, it's not protecting israel, it's damaging the relationship with israel and we need to make sure that doesn't happen. [ applause ] >> i want to thank you all for letting us have this discussion on the stage. thank our panelists. have a wonderful, wonderful weekend. [ applause ] >> without further ado -- >> without further ado -- >> it's my distinct honor. >> please join me in welcome in charlie and candice. [ applause ]
1:20 pm
♪ >> these policies are working. despite what you hear, despite what you read, we can keep this country going on the right track and we can make america great again. thanks for being part of this. >> thank you guys so much. we appreciate you. thank you, guys. >> not too long ago, two friends of mine were talking to a cuban refugee, a businessman who had escaped from castro. in the midst of his story, one of my friends turned to the other and said we don't know how lucky we are. a cuban stopped and said how lucky you are? i had some place to escape to. in that, he told us the entire story. if we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. this is the last stand on earth.
1:21 pm
this idea that government is beholden to the people, that it has no other source of power except to the people is the most unique idea in the long history of man's relation to man. >> we are coming together at a crucial time in our nation's history. america is making great strides towards freedom and liberty, but she also confronts determined foes and faces enormous challenges. challenges that strike directly at the core principles that all of us here hold so dear. free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional values and national
1:22 pm
security. across america and the world, we see where liberalism has left its devastating mark. in homes, in schools, in communities and in capitals. that's why our work is so important and it's what the heritage foundation is all about. at heritage, we're not just a bulwark against the left. we're a battleship for liberty. we are determined to guide america to renewed greatness. and to take the fight to liberalism. that's why m i'm so proud to see as the heritage foundation's president and why i'm so honored to join with you here at cpac in the fight for the greatest nation on earth.
1:23 pm
>> it is a project which aims to design an ecosystem -- this is the liberty ecosystem. an agile, flexible federation of local organizations and international partners working together through block chain technology. >> allowing the six billion of us to counterbalance the two billion of them. >> giving us access to fund-raising from individuals and groups around the world who share our mission. >> making it more difficult for authoritarian governments to impede organizations like us because there is no centralized group. no single entity. >> together, we can keep the free world free. join the movement at www.libertyeco.com. >> ladies and gentlemen, please
1:24 pm
welcome michelle malkin. >> hi. good afternoon. how are you all? i'd like to thank cpac for this invitation and i'm just going to get right down to business. my name is michelle malkin. i identify as an american, a proud unhyphenated unapologetic fully assimilated american. my pronouns are usa. america is good and america is great. of these basic truths, there is or should be little dispute
1:25 pm
among us here. but two questions loom large. number one, for how long will america, the america we grew up in, remain good and great, and number two, to whom shall we entrust the existential responsibility of securing the goodness and greatness passed down peacefully for generations? i wish i could stand here and chirp happily about positive news. yes, unemployment rates are at historic lows. yes, regulations and taxes are being cut. yes, we've got some stellar judges who have been confirmed and yes, the reckless, feckless liberal media has finally, finally felt immolated like a slow motion downing of the hindenberg and it's okay to gloat about it. yes, we have much, much to thank president trump for as he vowed
1:26 pm
the beltway swamp, the deep state, the administrative state and the fake news fourth estate. that's okay to applaud as well. but, but there is no sugar coating america's long-term forecast. we face fearful odds. the game is rigged. the playing field is manifestly unlevel and i will warn you that i am going to go over time because the most important issue that we face is immigration and we need to be talking about it more than one panelist, 20 minutes. some of you old-timers may remember that when i was once young, my first cpac in 2002 was to talk about my very first book "invasion" which exposed how border failures and systemic non-enforcement of our visa
1:27 pm
program rules created the national security crisis that led to 9/11. does anyone remember that? my last book sold out which i co-authored in 2015 with former american computer programmer turned labor lawyer, john miano, documented how big business and big government created an economic crisis by exploiting the h1b worker visa program and other foreign employment visas for cheap labor. i have been accused of being a quote unquote, grifter. for wanting to inform and educate citizens about these destructive rackets. but it's the gop sellout, not just the radical open borders left, that is in bed with immigration sabotuers. like the ones who hijacked the
1:28 pm
tea party movement to shill for amnesty. those are the ones practicing deceit at the expense of their base and at the expense of our country. our shining city on the hill, and that is a phrase that has been repeated over and over and over again at every cpac since reagan, spoke here has become a much abused doormat to the world. building the border wall is only half the battle. the numbers tell all. our future is dimmed, the odds are fearful. we currently grant one million legal permanent residencies to people from around the world every year. the number of green card holders is expected to increase by ten million by 2025. that's more than the current combined population of dallas, st. louis, denver, boston, chicago, l.a. and atlanta. now, multiply that number by at
1:29 pm
least three and a half. thanks to chain migration created in 1952, and expanded exponentially by congress in '65 and '90, these new immigrants sponsor their entire extended families, parents, spouses, adult children and their children and siblings and their children. princeton university found that recently admitted immigrants sponsored an average of 3.45 additional relatives each. an estimated 85,000 refugees and 20,000 plus asylees enter the country annually through an overwhelmed system so rife with fraud and abuse the process is jokingly dubbed quote, refugee roulette by immigration lawyers. how's that for a way to run your country. in total, from fiscal year 2008 to 2017, the u.s. gave green cards to more than two million migrants with various humanitarian claims, a population larger than the city of philadelphia. nearly half a million more
1:30 pm
immigrants in that time frame got in through the diversity visa lottery. i have been talking about this damn thing since 2002 and it's still around. all the promises from the republicans that we elect to office who promise that they are going to secure our borders and get our immigration system in order, and we still have this program that hands out visas like pez candy. illegal aliens are eligible if a legal family member wins the jackpot. tens of thousands of people are pouring in from terrorism breeding grounds through the lottery, unveted, unmonitored and unassimilated. thanks again to chain migration, immigration lotto winners, spouses and unmarried children under 21 all get passes into the country, too. nearly half of all illegal aliens in the country have violated the terms of short-term visitor or work visas.
1:31 pm
more than 10.8 million people receive such visas alone in fiscal year 2015, including a half a million foreign university and graduate students on academic visas and nearly 700,000 total foreign guest workers both skilled and unskilled. not to mention their spouses, many of whom are allowed to work here as well. hey, remember when congress promised that they were going to enact a nationwide visa entry/exit system to track legal short-term visa holders? remember that? nobody in congress does. one has yet to be built even in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks which were perpetrated in part by several illegal alien visa overstayers. e-verify has been stalled. sanctuary cities have metastasized and both parties are to blame. and yes, i'm looking at you,
1:32 pm
retired paul ryan and yes, i'm looking at you, mitch mcconnell. and yes, i'm looking at you, bush family, and yes, i'm looking at you, the ghost of john mccain. i don't have much time. let me get through this. this unrelenting, unrelenting inflow of new green card holders, short-term foreign visa holders, legal temporary workers, refugees and asylee is supplemented by the 13 to 30 million illegal aliens who expect amnesty and chain migration privileges from washington despite breaking immigration laws governing everything from border jumping to id fraud, benefits fraud, tax fraud and marriage fraud to human and drug trafficking to employment rules, deportation borders and visa overstayers. by the way, i wrote that
1:33 pm
paragraph as a rejoinder to people who say they're not breaking any other laws. under both republican and democrat administrations, the feds have proved themselves serially unwilling and incapable of handling the lapses, the backlogs, the overloads and yes, invasion. the numbers, the numbers, the numbers tell all. open borders anarchy multiplied by endless chain migration, amnesty and cheap labor pipelines endanger our general welfare and the blessings of liberty to which we all pay lip service every time cpac comes around. by every clear measure, the war is not on immigrants, but on american sovereignty. i have been called white for
1:34 pm
stating the facts. i'm not white, i'm just right. both native-born and immigrant families like mine which revere the rule of law, common traditions, constitutional principles, one identity, one tongue, are being replaced by militantly unassimilated and hostile generations of what? future democrat voters whose tribal allegiance to the left has only hardened over time. how is it that we have republicans in congress on capitol hill that are doing the bidding of the dreamer movement? what about our dreams? until and unless we reclaim the right of self-determination over the numbers, we are doomed.
1:35 pm
my fellow americans, we stand at the bridge as horatius stood at the bridge over the tibor river alone facing long odds as cowards cut and ran behind him. like his enemies, our enemies are both foreign and domestic. inside our already flimsily defended borders, we are not at peace or rather, the radical left is not at peace with us. from the comfort of tv green rooms and beltway back rooms and corporate boardrooms and conference ballrooms, it may not look like civil war is imminent, but threats and outright violence against you ordinary law-abiding people are now regularized features not just random bugs of political life in these dis-united states.
1:36 pm
you all know who are plugged in and on the ground the college students are being punched, elderly citizens are being harassed, maga hat wearers are being kicked off planes and assaulted in school hallways and restaurants and speakers are being mobbed and molotov cocktailed. i.c.e. agents and their families are being targeted. pro-lifers are being kicked and menaced. pro-trump anti-jihad moms on social media are being monitored and docked. the madness is beyond parody. last week you all saw this, social justice media warriors had hysteria over a mar-a-lago pastry chef's instagram post. where are the sanctuary spaces for law-abiding conservatives who simply want to exercise their right to free speech and peaceable assembly?
1:37 pm
the divide in this country is between decent people who stand up for america and dastardly people who want to bring america to its knees. we certainly should make common cause with others across the aisle who share our values but we should never rush to embrace those whose fundamental aim is to smear and destroy us all. that is suicidal. which is why i cannot stand here and stay silent about the role that van jones has played in attempting to silence the right. my objection is not to his support for criminal justice reform. i have dedicated much of my own time, energy and money fighting wrongful convictions, false allegations and prosecutorial misconduct. news flash. next time you need a conservative to talk about criminal justice reform, call me.
1:38 pm
you do not need someone who is going to skew fake news, pro illegal alien propaganda to talk about criminal justice reform to conservatives. news flash and fact check. the most recent research by fair found that illegal aliens are up to 5.5 times more likely than americans to be incarcerated in state prisons compared to americans and legal residents. but my most vehement objection is to this stage being used to lend legitimacy to the george soros funded organization color of change which dedicated itself to censoring and ining and sab right-leaning groups for opposing radical islam and defending open borders. seven years ago, van jones' group pressured pepsi, mcdonald's and other companies to cut ties to the mainstream american legislative exchange
1:39 pm
council. that's a half century old association of mainstream conservative state legislators who believe in quote, the jeffersonian principles of free markets, limited government, federalism and individual liberty. what was crafting legislation on voter i.d. to protect election integrity, immigration enforcement measures and self-defense legislation to strengthen second amendment rights. these lights are flashing red and that's exactly right because the lights are flashing red on america. color of change. thank you. [ applause ] color of change and the smear machine racket known as the southern poverty law center, let
1:40 pm
washington know how you feel about it. let the conservative media know how you feel about it. they should be covering it. these people use the same playbook to marginalize and criminalize mainstream conservatives anti-jihad groups and immigration hawks as quote unquote, hate groups. they want to push us out of the public square. we shouldn't be holding hands with them. they conspire with payment processors and silicon valley to deprive the right of our voices and our ability to make a living. there are so many speaking up and fighting on the front lines for liberty and security, they are being de-twittered, de-pay pal'ed, de-facebooked, de-platform. many of you are in this room. if you are one of them, please stand up and let us know who you are. thank you. thank you, each and every one of you, for what you're doing. you may feel like you're alone. people like my friend laura and
1:41 pm
gavin and the people like the center for immigration studies, david horowitz's freedom center. there are so many. i don't want to start naming them because i know i'm going to forget. go to michelle malkin.com. my latest column is about it. many of are you in this room and many of you have been forced to beg for money to go to court to defend your reputation. many have been barred from this room. if you're out there, you should know that you are not alone. nice is not enough. after 25 years of doing this, in this business, as somebody in conservative media and activism, i have to tell you the hardest lesson to learn is that logic and facts and appeals to decency and fairness are not enough. bemoaning duf ining double stan not enough. our future will not be secured in a fox news anchor chair or think tank office or at a cushy gop retreat or on a cruise ship.
1:42 pm
the future is on the front lines at the edge of the bridge, the captain at the gates to every man upon this earth that cometh soon or late, how can man die better than facing fearful odds for the actions of his father and the temple of his god. instead of throwing allies under that bridge, conservatives who have preached so comfortably as i have here in the beltway or from our cubicles about defending america while so many establishment republicans preserve the status quo need to help provide financial and moral support to the disruptors willing to fight fire with fire. it may be a coincidence or maybe it's providential that i am honored to sfe here on the seventh anniversary of andrew
1:43 pm
breitbart's death. god bless him. he was a disruptor. he was a disruptor among defenders of the status quo. we need more like him. that is the future. future. we need legislative action at the local and state level. we need politicians who will do something to stop the sowers of hate and division and their hand maidens. use the tools at your disposal. don't just stand there. diversity is not our strength. i know those words are a trigger. diversity is not our strength. unity is. our common -- [ applause ] our common purpose is the common defense of our nation.
1:44 pm
good people make america great. good people stand up and fight. thank you. [ applause ] >> america's built and based on liberties and freedoms. liberty health share brings that to health care. the liberty of choosing your own doctor, your own hospital. liberty health share makes health care affordable to millions of americans, ignite your liberty starting at $199 for a single $399 for a couple. no matter how big the family, only $529. that's $529 for the entire family. to learn how you can save, go to ignite your liberty.com. >> what happened? >> good old-fashioned values. >> kindness.
1:45 pm
>> integrity. >> are you looking for these things in your health care? choose your own doctor and hospitals. plans starting at $129 or no matter how big the family, $529. that's $529 for the entire family. go to ignite your liberty.com. >> you don't have self-government if you don't know what the government's up to. judicial watch is a highly skilled team of investigators and lawyers that know what questions to ask and know what lawsuits to file and how to litigate them in court. we have well over 30 federal
1:46 pm
lawsuits asking for documents about the targeting of donald trump, the abuses of the deep state, of mueller's special counsel investigation and other basic requests for information that only judicial watch is in court asking for the documents. judicial watch is experienced. you don't get these documents unless you're in court asking for them. without judicial watch, we wouldn't know what we know about the irs scandal. we wouldn't know what we know about the benghazi scandal. and hillary clinton's e-mail scandal which would still be secret but for judicial watch. >> the word education comes from the latin word that means "to lead forth." it's a value-laden term. it raises a question. which way is forth? how do you know you are going in the right direction? the easy answer in our time is it just depends on which way you want to go. young people almost always say
1:47 pm
that today. they have been taught to say that. but that's the wrong answer. at hillsdale college we understand education to be the pursuit of the highest answer to that question. discovering the right way by reading the greatest books by the greatest minds in history. coming to see the meaning of three ultimate and related things, the good, the true and the beautiful. this is the way forth. this is education. >> this is an interview with senator josh hawley on the big threat of tax to america with your host, kim strossel.
1:48 pm
>> hello, cpac. okay. we don't have a ton of time up here so here's what i want to do. i want to try to frame this by asking, keeping on this focus. there's all this big tech out there, social media, clearly posing a lot of big problems and challenges. how do we as conservatives go about fixing it? that's how i want to kind of think about this. all right? so you have spent a lot of time in your time as an attorney general and now you are here in d.c. what in your time in terms of google, twitter, facebook, all that interaction, do you think are the two or three biggest problems? >> well, first of all, it's great to be with you. this is a lot of fun. thanks for having us. it's great to be here.
1:49 pm
first of all, i think the fact that these companies have gotten so big and so powerful and now they're putting their thumbs on the scale to determine conservatives and libertarians. the fact that facebook, twitter, google, are pushing a left wing social agenda while marshalling their market power to shut conservative voices out of the marketplace, that's a huge, huge problem. in the meantime, they are also taking from us our private personal confidential information. they're not asking us. they're not telling us. they're turning around and selling it to make money off of us. so you've got -- you put those two things together, i think we've got a big problem. >> censorship and privacy concerns. >> absolutely. >> so in washington, as a legislator, what do we do about that? especially because look, as conservatives, we don't necessarily want lots of new laws. we don't want alphabet soup agencies out there with new controls. how do you balance that? what do you go about doing about this? >> one of the things we should
1:50 pm
think about is the sweetheart deals that big tech has gotten from government. they have -- big tech hasn't gotten so big and powerful just on its own. it's gotten a whole bunch of sweetheart deals from government, none more so than section 230, the communications decency act which says big tech is not subject to the same rules as other media companies and media providers, including for instance, the platform you work for. >> publishers. >> yeah. you are subject to a different set of rules than big tech is. big tech has used that in order to in many instances, discriminate against conservatives and libertarians but yet avoid the consequences of it. i think we need to look at this cozy relationship between big tech and big government. because that's gotten us a lot of the way or far along the way where we are now. >> so just push back on that a little bit. i think that's a very legitimate question, but then there are libertarians, some conservatives out there who say in fact, if you go and you take away and
1:51 pm
change 230, what you are in fact doing is you are going to give those people, you -- if you impose liability on them for anything that anybody says there, they suddenly, now they are liable for that, it's just going to cause them to crack down even more, that they are going to be even go after even more conservative voices and they will say we are under law, now liable for anything that comes out on our website so we're just following the law. protecting ourselves. >> here's the thing i would say. i think it's time we told the tech companies if you are going to get these kind of deals, you can't engage in what we in the law, i'm a lawyer by trade, my background's in the practice of constitutional law, and in the law we have a familiar phrase for this called viewpoint discrimination. we ought to tell them you cannot engage in viewpoint discrimination. you cannot go discriminate against conservatives because they're conservatives. you can't go discriminate against libertarians because they're libertarians. you want to stop people from advocating, committing crimes on your platform, that's great. you want to stop people from advocating violence, that's
1:52 pm
great. that's not constitutionally protected speech anyway. but if you want to edit constitutionally protected speech, if you want to target conservatives or libertarians, you are going to be on the hook for that. >> what do you do, get rid of 230? what do you do? >> you can change it. i think we should have a look, it all ought to be on the table. we should consider aememending section 230 to inhibt this viewpoint discrimination. the goal is not to get less speech. it's to get more speech. end the sweetheart relationship between government and tech, don't get government more involved. because government has given tech this sfespecial status, ths why we are where we are. we ought to talk about privacy, too. the tech companies have a lot to answer to on that. >> we will get to that. one last question. for those who say they are private companies, i have had some people give examples to me, they talk about go back to the early broadcast days. you had three broadcast stations, right? and people complained even then, all of the voices on it, liberal, liberal, liberal, until one guy came along and realized half the marketplace wasn't
1:53 pm
getting addressed and you got fox news. which now takes, you know, a huge market share. so is that maybe the alternate scenario to changing the laws, just getting some competition? >> well, listen, the problem right now is that these companies are preventing competition in the market because they collect so much data and information from us, this is where the privacy angle merges into the speech angle. because they collect so much information from us that they have, that we don't control, they now control it, other companies can't effectively get akdz access to it, they keep competitors out of the market. let's be clear on this. the tech companies haven't gotten as huge and powerful as they have on their own. they haven't gotten this without without government intervention. it's because government gave them these deals that they have gotten now. that's why i'm saying look, it is time that they are held to the same standards as everybody else. google and facebook should not be a law unto themselves. they should not be able to discriminate against conservatives. they should not be able to tell us that we have to sit down and shut up.
1:54 pm
>> so privacy. it's pretty clear given you have to give them credit, these social media platforms have accomplished the rare thing of making everybody in washington mad at them, right, for different reasons, but good on them. anyway, there's going to be some sort of privacy legislation, one way or the other. what should it look like from a conservative perspective? >> well, i mean, i think ultimately here's where we need to go. ultimately we need to give people control of their own information. we conservatives believe in property rights. i sure as heck believe in property rights. your information, your personal confidential data, it ought to belong to you. you ought to have a property right in that. your information shouldn't belong to the big tech companies. i think it's time that we made clear in our law that private citizens, individual citizens, have a property right in their own information. if they want to get it back from big tech, they should be able to get it back. if they want to prevent their children, i mean, let's start with children. think about it.
1:55 pm
i've got two little boys at home. i'm terrified, not just of what my boys will see online as they are growing up, but the information that belongs to them that these companies are going to take, these companies are going to build profiles on my kids -- >> surveillance capitalism. >> exactly. they will use it to target my children and by the time my kids are my age, i mean, these companies will know more about them than they know about themselves. we need to stop this. that information needs to belong to the individual consumers. i say let's start with kids. we should all be able to agree on that. let's stop this data collection on kids. let's give parents the right to get that information back from the companies, delete these profiles on children, and then let's build from there. >> what do you say to those, i'm among these, that do worry about this, is that in this rush to do something, in this arena where we are concerned about what people are saying and what they're taking, that in fact we are giving too much power and democrats certainly see it this way, every time they talk about legislation to deal with this, it is their opportunity to put congress, the government, in control of what people can say,
1:56 pm
new campaign finance laws, all of this. dh how do we guard against this? how do we make sure we don't end up in a situation where attempting to deal with these social media platforms, we violate the first amendment and free speech rights? >> it's a great question. i think the answer is we've got to make sure we get more speech at the end of the day, not less. the big problem to go back to the first topic with the big tech companies is they are using their big power in order to squelch speech. what do we do? we need to end the sweetheart relationship between government and tech. that's less government, not more. we need to open up competition so there will be more voices, not fewer, and giving people property rights, that is the basis of our whole economic system. that's the basis of what we believe in in the free market. your property belongs to you. not to government. your property belongs to you. not to these tech companies who take it from you without paying you for it. that's what needs to stop. i think it's a very conservative approach. so look, i'm not a fan of massive regulations. i'm not a fan of turning this
1:57 pm
over to agencies, creating whole bunches of new agency powers. what we need to do is enforce our law, give people clear property rights and make these tech companies, make them obey the law. they shouldn't be above the law. they should have to follow the law. let's start there. >> so unfortunately, we were supposed to have the assistant attorney general to the department of justice for antitrust here and he couldn't make it. but he has given a lot of speeches, i think his view is, for instance, that yes, these companies are big but they're not necessarily monopolies. they certainly have not given any actions or taken any actions at doj against them. do you agree with that view? >> he might want to check with his new boss on that. i notice that bill barr said, it's a big deal, bill barr who will be a fabulous attorney general, he's going to be fantastic, great choice by the president, he agrees with the president's agenda but bill barr said in his confirmation hearings, he and i talked about this, he said i am particularly worried about the concentration
1:58 pm
of power in silicon valley. here's what this comes down to at the end of the day. do we want to have a country that is basically run from silicon valley. do we want to have an economy that is run from silicon valley. do we want to have politics that are run from silicon valley, because that's the big bite of our time. we need to enforce the law. we need to protect property. we need to encourage more speech. >> well, on those rallying final words, thank you, senator. thanks for coming. >> thank you so much. [ applause ] >> now, to continue the discussion on the threat of big tech to america, please welcome -- >> that finishes up our coverage of the conservative political action conference. we'll have more coverage this evening on c-span. acting white house chief of staff mick mulvaney is the featured speaker at the ronald
1:59 pm
reagan dinner. that starts at 7:45 p.m. eastern. then tomorrow, president trump will be speaking at cpac. that starts live at 11:30 a.m. eastern, also on c-span. you can follow it online at c-span.org and listen with the free c-span radio app. >> sunday night on c-span's q & a, u.s. army veteran eileen rivers on her book "beyond the call" about three women who went beyond their regular duties to help women in afghanistan and further the mission. >> one experience she shared with me, there was a time when she felt there were men trying to break her and test her and see if women could actually hack it. so they had this really heavy gear, they had their weapon and they were carrying it on this road march, and she pulls her women aside and said no matter what happens, don't you dare start crying and you better keep up, because she's like i have a

24 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on