Skip to main content

tv   Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Actress Eva Longoria Baston  CSPAN  March 1, 2019 6:30pm-7:49pm EST

6:30 pm
the senate is on a deadline to take this up. their expecting to do -- they're expecting to do this in the next two weeks or so, so we're going to have a lot of pressure on republican senators who have to make up their mind on how to vote about this. >> host: we'll keep following you, watching these issues as they come up on twitter. and, of course, you're reporting at politico.com. really appreciate your time. >> guest: thanks for having me. >> and arrive -- live here on c-span2, supreme court justice sonia sotomayor speaking about her new children's book and her legal career. she'll be in conversation with actor and activist eva longoria. expecting this to start shortly. [inaudible conversations]
6:31 pm
[inaudible conversations] >> [inaudible] creative strategies and us production company, free mind beauty, we would like to welcome you to this evening's event with justice sonia sotomayor and eva longoria baston. [applause] please make your way to your seats. the program will gun shortly. will gun shortly. remember to silence your phone. also please note no photos, video recording or social media during tonight's event is permitted.
6:32 pm
the book signing with justice will occur immediately following tonight's program. for those of you staying for the book signing, please remain in your seats and wait for instructions. we would like to thank this evening's sponsors, hispanic leadership institute, george washington university for securing the listener auditorium, eva longoria baston, the eva longoria foundation and jackie and congressman gil cisneros for providing student scholarships for local students to attend this evening's event. now please, welcome to the stage wendy perez, an eighth grader from thomas jefferson middle school in arlington, virginia. [cheers and applause] >> hello and good evening. please join me in welcoming
6:33 pm
mrs. eva longoria baston and justice sonia sotomayor onto the stage. [cheers and applause] >> hello. [cheers and applause] [laughter] >> what a welcome,, what a welcome! [laughter] >> eva, it's been so long since i've seen you -- >> i know, it's been a while. >> and a lot has happened in both our lives. [laughter]
6:34 pm
you've gotten married -- >> i got married, yeah. >> you have a baby, who's in the front row. [cheers and applause] >> hold him up. [laughter] >> he's going to steal the show now. >> he just stole it, that's it. and you have a fully active career -- >> yes. >> you're directing. but i want to talk about something that was happening when i first met you. you had, you were on "desperate housewiveses," you were a huge, huge star, wanted everywhere, doing everything, and at the same time you had gone back to school. >> uh-huh. >> and i read in the newspaper when you graduated and you got your diploma -- >> my masters, yeah. >> your master's degree. [cheers and applause] so i want you to talk about -- >> yes.
6:35 pm
>> -- to all the kids in this audience why someone as successful as you are with the career and acting, the fame that you have, why go to school. [laughter] >> why. first of all, we're here for you, sonya, so -- [laughter] i'm going to answer this very quickly, and then we're going to get to the good stuff. >> oh, this is the good stuff. [laughter] >> but, no, you know, i come from a family of educated women. everybody in my family went to college. so i was very lucky being in a latino household and having so many -- i wasn't the first to go to college, i wasn't the first of anything. i was the last. and all my sisters had gotten,ed had received their master's degree. i had my bachelor's degree, which for some families would be enough, and my mom always nagged me about, well, your sisters have their masters. [laughter] and i said, i am on the number one show in the world! [laughter] and it didn't matter to her. so part of it was a promise to my mother.
6:36 pm
>> they can be problems -- >> yeah. [laughter] >> sometimes good ones. >> exactly. [laughter] the other reason was it's so funny because, at the time -- this was eight years ago -- immigration was such a hot topic. and i said, oh, this is the issue of the moment. and i wanted to go back and take one class to better understand the history of immigration. so i took one class. and then that led me to another class that my professor said, oh, you should take this class. so i said, oh, okay, let me take that class. and that led me to a third -- and finally the college was like you have to register, you can't keep taking classes. [laughter] but i was inspired by the issues of our time, and i wanted to be articulate about my own community, about our journey, about our contributions to this country. and so i got -- that's why i chose chicano studies as my masters, and that's why, that's why.
6:37 pm
[cheers and applause] but it is, education was key in my family. my mother's a teacher, few sisters are teachers, i come to many, many -- to all the teachers out there, thank you. [cheers and applause] >> so -- >> yeah. >> for you -- >> yes. >> -- for me, for them, it's the key to success. >> uh-huh. >> it's not television -- >> no. >> it's not supreme court. what education gives you is an opportunity to learn about the world. >> uh-huh. >> and that tells you how big your dreams can be. >> uh-huh. >> you see, because with we live in very little parts of the world, right? you live in your home, you go to your school, you visit family, but you can't learn about the world unless you get educated. >> uh-huh. >> and that, eva, shows you you
6:38 pm
can be any age, and you can still go back to school. >> yeah. >> so for all of the frustrated whatevers in the room -- [laughter] it's never too late. >> never too late. >> it never is. >> never too late. [applause] >> so i have the privilege of being with the justice on her first book tour from her first book which was an amazing book, and now this is a different kind of book. >> very much. >> and i don't want to put words in your mouth, but you're a pretty busy lady. [laughter] where did you find -- a, where did you find time to write this book and why this level of book? you wanted to do a middle school -- [speaking spanish] a history of your life for a different audience. >> yes. >> why was that? >> well, the middle school book, this one --
6:39 pm
>> this one. >> this one's the middle school book, it's an abridged, a shortened version of my parent book. the first book was my parent book, and these are my two kids' books, okay? [laughter] i did this one because my bilingual education cousin teacher told me that middle school kids really, they could read my book, but it wasn't as p captivating, that i had to make a version for younger readers. and so this book followed because she bothered me. [laughter] and she kept insisting. and i finally had to do it for her, okay? [laughter] and so this book, and i told this to a group of high school students here, it's a perfect book for you in middle school, even early high school. but please do pick up my adult
6:40 pm
book, my parent book when you're in college. because i left some things out of this book that'll mean more to you then, okay? but then this book -- >> yes. >> the churning pages -- [speaking spanish] >> turning pages. >> it's in english and spanish. and, by the way, for anybody who's learning spanish, put them side by side. >> uh-huh. >> it's a great way to learn spanish, or if you have to learn english, it's a great way to learn english too. [laughter] >> exactly, yeah. yeah. >> when i wrote the book in english, but when it was being translated into spanish, i had to look up some words in the dictionary. [laughter] but this young readers book, when i thought about middle school kids, i thought about me as a child. and i realized that this weren't
6:41 pm
a lot of books when i was growing up about people like me. and about kids of my background. and i thought wouldn't it be nice if for young readers i could write a book and tell them that you can have a special life, even if sometimes some hard things happen to you in life? so one of you asked me earlier tonight, is this a true story? and it's an absolute true story. every part of this book is what's happened to my life. and i wanted you not only to read it, but i wanted you to see it a little bit. and the pictures in this book are the pictures of my life. and they can be the pictures of your life, by the way.
6:42 pm
because everything i did, i did through reading and through education. and i wanted you to know how important that was. so that's how this came. >> that's how that was born. >> that was born that way. >> but, you know, in this book you talk a lot about books. >> uh-huh. >> and how reading and even going to the library was an escape from some things that were happening in your life. can you -- >> there were hard parts of my life. >> right. >> there were really hard parts of my life. you guys will learn that my daddy died when i was 9 years old. and it was very, very, very sad time in my life and in the life of my family. and my mother was very unhappy. and so there was a lot of sadness at home. and i had to find the way to go
6:43 pm
somewhere where i could get away from the sadness a little bit. and that praise for me -- that place for me was the library. how many of you have a library card? everybody should. and if your parents haven't gotten one, take them tomorrow. make them take you to the library, okay? and sign up for one. [applause] but in books, this is a picture of when and how sad everybody in my family was. >> uh-huh. >> and this is a picture of me in the library. and i found out that when i read books, i dreamt about different places. places that i thought i would never see in my entire life. but i could sail the entire
6:44 pm
world, and the pages of the book were my little ship. >> uh-huh. >> and you see inside that little ship is something that looks like my library card. and so for me, that moment of dealing with my unhappiness and the unhappiness around me, i found friends in books. and that's what books give you. they give you a view to the world and a way to think about other things. good things and sometimes bad things, but a way to find the world. >> yeah. >> so that's a picture of what happened when my daddy died. >> and i will tell you, this book is beautifully illustrated. it not only has -- it has in the beginning real pictures, actual photographs from your -- >> oh, these are photos of me as a kid. >> yeah. >> i look like a lot of you, don't i? >> uh-huh, yes.
6:45 pm
[laughter] >> i do. >> let's talk about that, because i feel like people don't talk about this enough, you just said it. representation matters. in the media -- [applause] in films, in television, in books -- [applause] and now, and now you get to go to the library, and many of us here in this room -- how many latinas are here? [cheers and applause] you get to see yourself in this book. i mean, i know that was what she just said, but this is you. these photos look like you, somebody who looks like you. and you can't be what you can't see. and i think that it's amazing that you've contributed to this body of literature that we all get to grab from. and that's important to you. >> well, i -- it is important to me. and it's important for me that kids who go through tough circumstances and tough moments in life no matter what they are,
6:46 pm
to know that happy endings are possible. you know, life is never easy. it's hard. you've got to work hard, you have to study hard, you have to do a lot of things you don't want to do. but there can still be hope. and i want every child to live in the world knowing that dreams can come true. >> yeah. [applause] >> and so -- now, can i talk a minute about my favorite scene in this book? >> yes, please. >> this one. >> yes. i was just going to ask you about this. >> okay. i have a condition called diabetes. they found it when i was 7 years old. and it was because i got sick in
6:47 pm
church. and i fainted. and the sisters of charity who were my teachers, some of them were there, and they called my mom, and they told her you have to take her to the hospital, because you've got to find out what's wrong. and mommy took me to the place where she works, because she worked in a hospital as a telephone operator at the time. and she took me there, and the doctor sat me down and said i need to check your blood. to have your blood tested to make sure you're okay. and they sent me to the lab room with a lab technician that i knew. he had always been wonderful to me. and he sat me down in a chair, and he said, sonya, i have to take blood from your arm. and this needle looks very, very
6:48 pm
big and scary. you see the needle in the book? >> uh-huh. >> that's how big it looked to me. [laughter] and he said, but really it won't hurt. it only hurts for one little second, and then it's over with. and he kept talking, and he said you'll be fine. and he keeps walking to me, and he's carrying this big, big needle, and he's coming close to me, and he's coming close to me, and he's coming close to me, and he gets about there, and i look at him and i scream, "no! >> and i did something i shouldn't have done i got up off the chair, and i ran all the way outside. [laughter] and i was only 7 years old, and
6:49 pm
mommy didn't let me cross the street, so i couldn't go in the street, right? [laughter] so i did something that was not very smart. i jumped under the car. [laughter] >> a parked car. >> a parked car -- >> right. [laughter] just want to clarify. >> don't do it. it was very dirty. and it smelledded. it was horrible. >> you got dirty! >> i got dirty, and it smelled, i didn't like it, but all these hands were reaching underneath trying to grab me out from under the car. [laughter] and i finally got away from one set of hands, and another set caught me. and they dragged me out, and they dragged me back into the laboratory room inside the hospital. and there were about four people holding me down -- >> oh. >> each arm, my legs, i'm screaming so loud. and crying. well, i was crying and screaming so much, i didn't feel the
6:50 pm
needle go in. [laughter] so after the, after that test -- >> yes. >> -- they found out i had diabetes. and i had to go to the hospital, and i was in the hospital for a little while. and they told me that i had to learn how to give myself insulin shots. needles. to take medicine so i could stay alive. and it was something that i would have to do the rest of my life. and they had me practicing with the needle on an orange, and i kept thinking how am i going to do this to myself? this is not easy. who wants to hurt themselves, right? and so i thought about it, and i thought about it, and at the time i loved comic books.
6:51 pm
and supergirl had just come out. and i thought about supergirl, and i said maybe i can find the courage and bravery supergirl has. >> uh-huh. >> maybe i can be as strong as she is. and i used that image of me being supergirl to have and find the courage to give myself my needle. and i've been doing that my entire life. now, today kids use other things, and they have things called pumps. but i found something out, which is we all have courage inside of us. sometimes you just have to look for it, and you can find it. so when you're a little bit
6:52 pm
afraid of something, just think about yourself as a superhero. and imagine all the wonderful things you can do in life. so -- [applause] this is my favorite story. [applause] in the whole book. [applause] >> and it's very well illustrated. it is. but that was one of many -- [audio difficulty] and in the book you talk about how books have always served a purpose in your life from when -- >> every moment. >>-- your dad died, to comics for diabetes, learning about puerto rico. >> oh, or gosh, that was so important. >> yeah. >> somebody came to this earlier and told me that their favorite fruit was mangos. [laughter] is that little boy still here? >> who said that? [laughter] >> it's still my favorite fruit. >> it's mine too.
6:53 pm
>> and my absolutely favorite fruit. and this is a picture of me in puerto rico. and when i was a child and i went to puerto rico, they were still taking naps in the afternoon. siestas. [laughter] and my whole family would lie down after lunch to fall asleep. but i had too much energy -- [laughter] and i used my energy to read. and when i got to college, i used my college to teach me about puerto rico where i, where my family came from. and i learned about all the history of puerto rico when i was in college. so books can teach you about what is now and what was in the past. and so it's a wonderful, wonderful way of learning
6:54 pm
history but learning where you come from and learning where you can go. so, yes, these are pictures of puerto rico. >> how many puerto ricans are here? [cheers and applause] [laughter] [speaking spanish] [laughter] >> well, i want to talk about, i want to talk about you, you have a lot of wonderful women that influenced you in your life. you talk about you have lolita -- >> ooh, i am sorry. this is not a cold. [laughter] >> she has allergies. [laughter] >> and something has set off my allergies horribly. and i go into a room and they just start up.
6:55 pm
[laughter] >> you have a lot of wonderful women in your life, your mother -- >> yes. >> you talk about cousins, you talk about aunts, can you talk to us about the role of role models in your life and then how it can affect, you know, all of these young people here? >> the most important role model in almost all our lives are our parents, aren't they? if our mothers, our fathers. they're the real heroes in life. not only do they work hard and help support us and they send us to school and they help us learn, but they also give us the fire inside of us, the thing that makes us good people. because mommy teaches you right and wrong and daddy does too, but they also teach you how to be kind and how to be nice. and they make you feel special.
6:56 pm
so for me, i was rubbing key because i had -- lucky because i had role models in the women in my life that i just adored. my grandmother memorized poetry, and at family parties -- and there's a picture of her -- [speaking spanish] right in the beginning of the book. that's me walking with her to go shopping on a saturday. so do her daughters. to this day, because i just saw them a week ago, they said to me
6:57 pm
you're more like -- [inaudible] than we are. you are really your grandmother. and she loved to party. i love parties. [laughter] she loved food. i love food. [laughter] she loved music and art, and she loved people and and i love people. and all of those things made her one of my first role models. finish -- but there was always mommy. and mommy grew up poorer than we did. mommy's daddy had died -- mommy's mommy had died when she was 9 years old. >> oh. >> and her daddied had left her -- daddy had left her. and her sister took her in and raised her in puerto rico at a time when they were very, very
6:58 pm
poor. and mommy had the strength and the courage to read about the army in a newspaper. and her older brother had joined the army, and she decided i should join the army too. and she took herself to san juan and passed all the tests, and the army accepted her. and that's how she came to new york. and it was here she met my daddy. but she hadn't graduated from high school. now you have to graduate from high school to go into the armying by the way. the army, by the way. but she hadn't graduated from high school, and she'd graduated -- or left the army, graduated from high school, and when i was in high school, she went to college. so that's my biggest role model,
6:59 pm
my mommy. because she showed me it doesn't matter where you start out -- [applause] >> yeah. >> no matter how hard life is, you can become anything you want to become. >> uh-huh. >> and so it is important to look for role models. it's good to start with your parents, but sometimes those role models are not in your family. sometimes they're in your school, sometimes they're, if you're religious and go to a church or a synagogue or to some religious ceremony, you can find someone there. sometimes it's another parent. sometimes it's a neighbor. but it is important to look for people who you can say are doing good things in life. that they're doing things that are important for other people.
7:00 pm
and to learn from them how you can do good things too. and that's what a role model is to me. someone who helps teach me how to be a better person. and that's what you want in life, is to find those better people in your life and to follow their path and and to take their leadership in what you can do to make a better world. >> uh-huh. >> so for me, role models are incredibly important, and i still look for them, and i still find them. >> good. [applause] >> i think i'm going to ask one more question, and then i'm going the give you some student questions -- >> and then i'm going to go out in the audience.
7:01 pm
do we have names? >> we do have names. >> when she calls out your name, please stand up, because i'll come to you, okay? >> yes. let me ask one more question, and then we're going to go out. >> all right. >> justice, you were the first latina ever appointed to the united states supreme court -- [cheers and applause] [laughter] >> i haven't even gotten to the question! [laughter] i want to know how your culture influences you with either every day in your work or your life, and can you give any advice to our young people here today on
7:02 pm
whether or not to carry that culture with them, don't be afraid about, don't be afraid to speak spanish, don't be afraid, don't shy away from your culture or how do you approach that in your everyday life? not on the court, but just in life. >> i tell everyone i'm a proud, proud american. [cheers and applause] as proud as anyone else. not only did i have a mother who served in the military, i have cousins who have served. we are with a family -- we are a family born -- i was born and raised in new york city. [cheers and applause] and that part of me is just filled with pride --
7:03 pm
[speaking spanish] but i have a puerto rican heart. [cheers and applause] that's what gives you culture. that's what builds your values; your family, your identity, the culture you come from gives you the richness in your life. in the things, and it's not just the food and it's not just the music and it's not just the poetry. it's in the way that you learn how to love each other as a family. and every family from every culture values the same thing: loyalty to family, support of each other and support of community. and for me, that's the essence of who i am and want to be. [speaking spanish]
7:04 pm
and you have to live life understanding that it is in the core of your being. your culture is who you are. now, there's a harder question and i'm asked it all the time, which is how does it influence me being a judge. >> uh-huh. >> well, there's no direct correlation that one can point to. i rule on the basis of law, obviously. and law has culture because law is american law. it's the law we have here. but who you are as a person also permits you to see and understand the arguments that people raise before you. and so who sonia is, that culture is a a part of me as is everything else about me that i grew up in the catholic schools,
7:05 pm
that i worked as a prosecutor, but i also worked for big companies, that i went to ivy league schools, that -- i could name everything about my life. >> and your identity. >> and my identity. and all of it makes me who i am. there's never one thing that makes you. you're a melting pot, to borrow a metaphor that was popular in new york. we are a melting pot. but we're also part of a big salad. and we're individuals. and each of us bring something special to the world. and, yes, we should carry it with us. >> carry it with you proudly. >> proudly. >> okay. >> all right. [applause] now, i think the adults in this room know this, but the people around the room in suits and ties with little things in their ears, they're security people.
7:06 pm
[laughter] they're here to protect me from me. [laughter] they don't like that i go out in the audience, and that means that if you're an adult, don't jump up because you'll scare them. if you're a kid, you can hug me. [laughter] >> okay. so -- [applause] where is amelia munoz from garrett park, elementary? >> all right. who is that? are you going to get up? >> where is she? if oh, she's way up there. well, we'll walk as close as we can. >> okay. come on down, sweetie. >> thank you. >> hello. hi. hello, you guys. hello again. [speaking spanish] hi. we met earlier. [laughter] and you asked a question. but this time you get a picture alone without your sister.
7:07 pm
[laughter] thank you. >> amelia, do you want to ask your question to the justice? here, speak into my mic. >> was it hard to -- was it hard as a woman and especially as a loo -- latina to become a supreme court justice? how does it feel to be on the supreme court? >> ah -- >> good question. [applause] >> everything in life is hard. to get anywhere, to do anything, you have to work at it. being an actress, eva can probably tell you the hours and hours and hours that she has to say her lines and practice her role, the hours and hours and hours on the set. well, being a supreme court justice has taken a lot of years of a lot, a lot of hard work and
7:08 pm
study. so it's never easy. yes, it's a little bit harder when you come from a background that a lot of other people don't come from. so if you're latina, like i was -- [speaking spanish] sometimes if you have a different color skin, if your eyes are shaped a little differently than people are used to they make things a bit harder for you. sometimes they don't think you're smart enough, and some people when i was nominated to the supreme court said i wasn't smart enough to be on the court. that hurt me a lot. but despite how hard it is, there's also a lot of people in the world who help you. and there are good people in the world who support you and who will make those hard moments
7:09 pm
more bearable and easier to live with. and so that's happened to me too. but the one thing i learned, don't ever give up. [applause] >> yes. >> don't ever give up. [applause] because in the end, the people who said i wasn't smart enough, i'm here, they're not. [laughter] [cheers and applause] >> report that's right. >> and it is wonderful to be a voice in the room on some of the most important decisions facing -- legal decisions facing the united states.
7:10 pm
don't always win, but at least being able to explain my vote and why i believe something is right is terribly important. and finally, i get moments like this. i get to meet you. [applause] and so it's really, really wonderful to be a supreme court justice. [laughter] [cheers and applause] >> okay. i think it's the same elementary, who's marine munoz, age 6. >> ah. >> 6 years old. she has a very important question for you, justice. >> hello. you get a picture too. hello. [laughter] hi. >> you have to smile! there we go. [laughter] do you want to ask the justice your question? do you remember what it was?
7:11 pm
>> yeah. >> okay, tell us. >> do you love ice cream? >> i love ice cream. >> mint chocolate chip. >> i love chocolate chip. but not mint. [laughter] okay? but i do like chocolate chip. a lot. >> thank you, marine. thank you. [laughter] [applause] >> where is nate zamora, merit school in d.c. oh, you're right here also. >> oh, my gosh. >> we'll answer it over here. >> hi, nate. it's good to see you again, sir. >> nate, are you 10 years old? >> yes. >> yes. >> okay. do you remember your question or do you want to read it? >>'s your -- hold on. oh, sorry. [laughter] go ahead. >> let's read your question. >> how did your --
7:12 pm
>> oh, wait. oh, is that yours? [laughter] >> our government is making decisions that will impact the lives of kids and their future. what can kids do now to make sure their opinions are taken seriously by the government? >> wow. >> oh. [cheers and applause] >> great question! [applause] [laughter] >> that's an amazing question. >> yes. >> and it is -- yes, that's -- he deserves more than a high-five. [laughter] first, educate yourself about your government. you've got to learn about how laws are affecting you. to know that, you've got to figure out and learn how they're made, how the government functions and what people in government find important, because you can't talk to people
7:13 pm
unless you have knowledge. and to me, the most important class you can ever take in school has to be civics. [applause] because civic education is what made this country great. it was leaders who believed that we could have a republic. when ben franklin left the constitutional convention, a woman stopped him and said, dr. franklin, do we have a monarchy or a republic? and his response was, a republic, madam, if you can keep it. and right now we're about to lose it. there are -- [applause] 38% of young people are saying that democracy is not important. can you imagine living in the united states, and a third of
7:14 pm
young people are saying something like that? and our voter participation among young people just doesn't exist anymore. the numbers are silently small. so, first, you have to work even now at making sure your parents vote every election. [applause] and every adult you know, you have to be the first one to talk to them about those elections and to encourage them to participate, because they can count if you make them count. [applause] number two, study about the issues. there's a lot of people who watch television but don't really study the question. eva told you that she went back to school to learn about immigration because it was such an important topic for her. you can't have a voice unless
7:15 pm
it's an informed voice. and people will listen to persuasive argument. and to be persuasive, you have to learn. and number three, take an interest. don't lose it. keep wanting to make a difference. have passion about knowing that you can make a difference. [applause] and speak out. the kids in parkland, florida, spoke out, and many of them said that it was their sieve in-- civics class that taught them that they had something that people might listen to. your voices are important, and there are people who will listen, and i'm glad you're asking. thank you. [applause] ..
7:16 pm
i don't think that was her. [laughter] we will find isabella. mia jay elkridge landing elementary school. media jay. hello, love. come on out to the i/o. come on. >> is ask you a question right
7:17 pm
here. >> what advice would you give to children going through difficult times at home with their parents and want help but don't know where to start? [applause] >> first of all, you can't cure their problems. you are a kid and to be frank it's not because you are a kid. it's because people have to work out their problems sometimes by themselves. they have to figure out what's
7:18 pm
important to them and how to deal with it. and the greatest thing that you can do is to forgive yourself for something that you are not responsible for. it's not your job. it is your job perhaps to tell them how you feel and that it hurts you but you are not responsible. and there will be hard, hard times and all you can do is live through them and wait for them to end. there will be a new beginning. there'll be a different step. there will be something else that will come along and make the world funny again. and it will. it will take time sometimes, like with my daddy. it took a long, long time for my
7:19 pm
mother-to-be happy again but eventually she was and she even many, many, many, many years later married another man whom she was very happy with. in so yes, you have to live it and sometimes you have to cry and maybe you have to tell them how hurt you are, but in the end forgive yourself. you are not responsible. and you can't fix fix it. they will have to fix fix it fi. good luck. [applause] >> okay this is a very special question. come me love from swanson middle school, where is kamala?
7:20 pm
i want to say something kamala. >> what did you do to yourself? just a sprained? that's going to take a long time. i know from experience. ever since i got to washington i've been nothing but accident prone. maybe it's something in the air here, i don't know. come a lot and her family moved here from virginia with her parents from puerto rico after hurricane maria. how many understand what happened in puerto rico with the hurricane? many puerto ricans have come here because of the devastation on the island so camilla, where she? let's ask her a question. what is your name?
7:21 pm
how old are you? >> i'm 12. >> cruz, you even get a picture with me. >> was the biggest challenge he faced getting to be a supreme court justice? >> that's a good question. you know the biggest challenge we all face in life, not to be afraid. that is our biggest challenge. because fear is usually what keeps us from doing things. and that includes being a supreme court justice. during the process i told you the people said i wasn't smart enough and ugly and not nice things about me and it hurt a lot. i really was afraid both that my reputation with the damage that could i really do the work?
7:22 pm
when people say you can't there's a little bit of view that says kansai? and it took some friends to look at me and say, isn't that about you sonia? don't be selfish. this is about the all those kids out there who will look at someone like you in that position and no that things are possible for them, so stop eating afraid. get off your behind and go and do it. [applause] how many of you guys here or girls never have gotten up to dance because you were afraid of looking foolish? me too. i take dancing lessons when i
7:23 pm
was 50 years old. because i was the only latina at a lot of parties that did know how to dance. [laughter] and finally at 50 i said, i should stop being afraid. there are so many things we don't try whether it's the food handed to you and you say no, i'm not going to even taste it or the activity that someone wants you to do and you say i'm not going to do that. there are some wonderful things that evolved when you are not afraid. because you can find the thing you will fall in love with the next minute if you just try. and so that is the biggest challenge. i think it's the biggest challenge in life to be afraid but still say yes.
7:24 pm
[applause] >> that's all the questions i have here. we found camilla. you are here. >> come on, come. [applause] >> he asked that question. do we have another question? >> i have a question for you. >> i'm just photobombing all these photos, i'm sorry. >> what do you want the kids to know about your book lacks. >> what do i want you to learn about the book, from the book, from the book.
7:25 pm
so many things. first i want you to look at the pictures and find all the little things in the picture that the artist drew. i showed you one of them in the book with my library card. so look at my hand. it's holding a key. do you know what that's a key to it's the key to your success in life. it was my key. it could become yorkie now. you see the little frog? that little tiny frog, you can barely see that so tiny. and who in this room can make a
7:26 pm
sound because i can't. they are all over puerto rico and so that little frog is a symbol of my life. i'm walking up the steps of the supreme court and of course he is always with me. [applause] i first want you to look at the pictures and find all those little things. there is a picture in here of puerto rico and there is a little house and it and there are two people sitting on the porch. one of them is ironing and the other one is standing up. that's my mother and my
7:27 pm
grandmother. there's a lot of other things in here like that but what i hope you will find in the book above all else is in understanding of how precious words are. words in books, words in comic books, words and documents, words we say to each other. they can hurt and they can help. they can make you cry or they can make you laugh. they are so powerful a tool in life. i really want you to understand. even if you find reading hard, because many people do, learning words and about them can give you a worldview would never imagine. so that's what i want you to do.
7:28 pm
[applause] >> why did you name your book turning pages? >> i turn the pages. >> that's a very good question. [speaking spanish] [applause] [speaking spanish] the question is why did i want this job? [laughter] i don't know some days. [laughter]
7:29 pm
i do know, i do know. [speaking spanish] i'm going to do it in both languages. i believe in the good in law. i believe that laws are intended to help us be a community together. you see, different people need different things. our interests are never quite the same and what laws try to do is to give us rules that we can live together by, that we can share resources, that we can avoid really angry problems or fights, that we can do things together as a community. i love being a lawyer because as
7:30 pm
a lawyer i got to help people in their relationships with one another. people have problems and they come to lawyers and to ask lawyers to help them with those problems. i wanted to be someone who helped others. so, once i decided that my life would be as a lawyer then i thought about being a judge because i wanted to be one of the people who could help explain what the laws meant to other people. and so that's why i want this job. because i still think i can help people. [speaking spanish] [laughter]
7:31 pm
[speaking spanish] [speaking spanish] [applause] >> do you want to go back up this way? do you want to ask her any more? speak i like that t-shirt.
7:32 pm
>> first of all stand up and show them your shirt. turn around, show everybody your shirt. >> did you ever want to be supreme court justice as a kid? >> no. i didn't even know what one was so how can you dream about something you don't know about? all of you are far ahead of me because you know what a supreme court justice is. i didn't. that's why safety rating is really important because it helps you dream about things you wouldn't know about. and so no, i never imagined that by the time i grew up and i started to learn about the court and how important it was in the work you did, i began to learn that it's really not just hard to get on the supreme court, but there aren't that many spots.
7:33 pm
[laughter] you know there are nine justices we have a job for life and in your lifetime if the chord changes more than once, that's a lot. it's really really hard to get on the supreme court. in the entire history of the united states i was the 111th supreme court justice. [applause] i never did imagine it. i didn't think it was possible and i didn't imagine that it was real until i heard the white house operator's voice on my telephone saying please hold for the president. [applause]
7:34 pm
and then president barack obama came on the phone and said judge, because i was a judge then, judge sotomayor i decided to make you my nominee to the supreme court. [applause] i didn't think it was possible. >> there you go. >> how about one with her? >> i'm always in the way. >> hello sweetie. what is your question? >> hi. my question is what inspired you to write turning pages? >> what inspired me? wanting to talk to kids like
7:35 pm
you. i do talks like this with kids all the time, now about my book. i give hugs. i have probably gotten more than 3000 hugs. and i just love every hug i get. so, i really do like kids. i love you. i'm still a kid at heart. i have another children's book coming out in september. [applause] and that book is called, just ask, be different, be brave, and he you. and it was born from something that happened to me as a diabetic. you know i give myself insulin shots and there are people who look at me and look at me like i
7:36 pm
am strange. you know i'm giving myself this needle. there must be something wrong with me. i overheard one lady in a restaurant one day who had seen me in the bathroom, telling the person she was with, she's a drug addict. [laughter] and i went up to her and i said i'm not a drug addict. i'm a diabetic. and you shouldn't assume things about people. but people do. when kids have differences, when they are struggling with things, how many of you have food allergies? some kids have food allergies. some kids are blind. some kids are deaf. some kids find reading very,
7:37 pm
very, very hard. you know we can be different and sometimes people make us feel bad because we are different. and i wanted to write a book to tell everybody, being different does not just okay. we are stronger. we are braver. we are different, but we are just us. [applause] and we give to the world. we give good things to the world. [applause] so i wrote that book for all the kids who deal with things in their life that are hard. >> can i have a hug?
7:38 pm
>> yes, thank you. thank you so much. >> tell her your name and your question. >> my question is is a supreme court judge have you ever gotten any problems and how did you overcome it? >> as a supreme court justice have i ever had any problems? [laughter] well, you know i am one of nine judges and the other guys don't always listen to me. [laughter] and that can be very frustrating have you ever had a moment with your mother or father where you are trying to explain something and you don't think they are
7:39 pm
listening? i think it happens to all of us. no? they always list in? they are good. they are really good. but you get a little frustrated because you want to shake people who are not listening and say please listen to me. this is so right. why do you think that other way? you are so wrong. [laughter] and that can be hard. that can be very hard. but we have a way of getting passionate and that is we can write what we think and other people can read it and understand why we think they are wrong. because of that, that helps. helps me with my problem because i can talk about it. and that is what one can do with one -- most problems. helps to talk about it.
7:40 pm
and sometimes you can talk to your parents of bout them, almost all the time. maybe some not. maybe you'll have to go with friend or go to your grandmother. i used to do that a lot. but talking about your problems helps a lot. >> we have time for one more question. >> you pick. >> don't make me pick. come on up. you want to meet her? [applause] >> hello. [speaking spanish] >> the camera guy is not even here now. i was running out of the way. >> is leaving me. >> where were you when asked.
7:41 pm
go angry. >> how does it feel to be the first latino on the supreme court? [applause] >> as i said to you when i started or earlier, your voice in the room is so important. to do things that i know you can do to is even better. so for although latinos and latinas in this room, i don't want to be the only latina justice on the supreme court. [applause] >> korea. grow up, work hard and either join me or come and take my
7:42 pm
place, okay? [applause] >> we are going to come back up here. >> i want to thank everybody for being here and for coming out today. to listen to the wise words by wise latina. [applause] thank you justice for writing this amazing book adding to your library. you should just become an author but we need you so much on the court. thank you so much for coming. any last words, justice? >> i said it earlier, i truly love you. thank you for the support. thank you for the interest. thank you for spending this time with us and thank you for being
7:43 pm
you. >> thank you for having me. [applause] [inaudible conversations]
7:44 pm
7:45 pm
>> sara ferris reports on congress for "politico" and she joins us for a look at h.r. 1 a bill dealing with elections and campaign finance reform. sarah, democrats are going to put this legislation on the floor. what can you tell us about it? >> basically the fact that it's called h.r. 1 means it's the number one most important legislative priorities that this
7:46 pm
is literally a jar one, bill number one. democrats have been pushing this since the beginning before they took back the house last fall. has everything from voting rights to election security lobbying, very specific provisions democrats have been pushing for years such as automatic voter registration, supporting d.c. statehood. if they like to have an independent commission the in charge of house redistricting efforts. there's a lot of far-reaching pieces that democrats have wanted for a very long time and we are going to see all of this on the floor next week. >> host: used tweet that according to the congressional budget office to cost about $2 billion. most of that is going to states for grants for election security. with a price tag like that's what does it mean for the future of h.r. 1? >> guest: h.r. 1 having 227 co-sponsors already virtually means they will have no issues getting it on the floor next week but of course the money is going to be something that would
7:47 pm
need to go through the appropriations committee and in the house is controlled by democrats of that would be no problem. they'd have to reshuffle a bit of money here and there but for the most part democrats have supported election security grants for a long time. republicans as well have supported election security grants but they are uniformly opposed to a lot of these other issues like overhauling the federal election commission paid the republicans in the senate when they go to to the funding compromise the next fiscal year there's no chance we are going to see some of these broader items being adopted by the senate. the republican run senate over there but some of these funding opportunities could see bipartisan support. >> host: is the house works in h.r. 1 next week what is the senate going to be doing? >> this and it's going to be taking up additional nominations. this is something that majority in leader mitch mcconnell has
7:48 pm
been pushing through as he enters the third month of this new congress. he has shored up is majority in the fall elections and we are going to be expecting a couple of republican senators to make a decision about what they will say on the spending national merchants a decoration measure. this is something that is really consumed capitol hill for the last several weeks after president trump declared a national emergency to build a so-called order while and the deadline to take this up. they are expecting to do this in the next two weeks or so so we are going to have a lot of pressure on republican senators who have to make up their mind on how to vote on this. >> host: stairway will fall you watching these issues as they come up on twitter. your @sarah m. farris and reporting at "politico".com. really thank you for your time. >> thanks for having me. sam president trump's headed back to washington d.c. after a summit with the leader of nth

18 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on