Skip to main content

tv   Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Actress Eva Longoria Baston  CSPAN  March 4, 2019 10:38am-11:51am EST

10:38 am
part in trying to better your country and not think of it as a perfect nation. always go on a mission in trying to make it even better. >> voices from the road on c-span. >> next supreme court justice sonia sotomayor discusses her life, her new children's book and her appointment and service on the nation's highest court. she answered questions from children in the audience about her life and her career. this is an hour and ten minutes. [applause] >> hello. >> what a welcome.
10:39 am
>> it's in so long since i've seen you. >> it's been a while. >> and a lot is happening in both our lives. you have gotten married. >> i got married, yes. >> you have a baby who was in the front row. [applause] >> hold him up. >> you have a fully active -- [laughing] >> he's going to steal the show no. >> that's it. and you have a fully active career. you're directing. but i want to talk about something that was happening when i first met you. you had come you are on desperate housewives. you were a huge, huge star. wanted everywhere, doing everything, and at the same time you would come back to school. and i read in the newspaper when you graduated and you got your
10:40 am
diploma -- >> my masters, yes. >> your masters degree. [applause] so i want you to talk about to all the kids in this audience why someone successful as you are, with a career and acting, the thing that you have, why go to school? >> first of all we are here for you, sonja. [laughing] i'm going to enter this very quickly then we will get the good stuff. but no, you know, i come from a family of educated women. anybody in my family went to college. i was very lucky being and latino household and having so many -- i wasn't the first to go to college. i was the first of anything. i was the last pick in all my sisters had received a masters degree. i had my bachelors degree which for some family would be enough, and my mom always nagged me about well, your sisters have their masters. and i said can i am on the
10:41 am
number one show in the world. and it didn't matter to perk out of it was a promise to my mother. the other -- >> could be problems a lot. >> exactly. the other reason was it so funny because at the time, this was eight years ago, immigration is hot topic and i said this is the issue of the moment. and i want to go back and take one class to better understand the history of immigration. so i took one class, and then that led me to another class that my professor said you should take this class pics i said okay, let me take that class. at that baby to a a third class. finally the college was like you can't keep taking classes. but i was inspired by the pieces overtime and i wanted to be articulate about my own community, about our journey, about our contributions to this
10:42 am
country. that's why i chose chicano studies as my masters and that's why i -- that's why. [applause] >> it is, education whiskey in my family. my mother is a teacher get my sisters are teachers. to all the teachers out there, thank you. [applause] >> so for you, for me, for them, it's the key to success. it's not television. >> no. >> it's not supreme court. what education gives you is an opportunity to learn about the world. and that tells you how big your dreams can be. you see, because we live in very low parts of the world, right? you live in your home here you go to your school you visit
10:43 am
family but you can't learn about the world as you get educated, and that, eva, shows you, you can be any age and you can still go back to school. >> that's true. >> so for all of the trust dated whatever's in the room, it's never too late. >> never too late. >> never too late. [applause] so i the privilege of being with the justice on her first book to her from her first book which was an amazing book, and now this is a different kind of book. >> very much. >> and i don't want to put words in your mouth but you are a pretty busy lady. where did you find time to write this book and why this level of book? you wanted to do a middle school
10:44 am
-- [speaking spanish] -- the history of your life for a different audience. >> yes. >> why was that? >> the middle school book, this one, this one is the middle school book, it's an abridged, a shortened version of my parents book. the first book was my parent book, these are my two kids books, okay? i did this one because my bilingual education cousin teacher told me that middle school kids really, they could read my book, but it wasn't as captivating but i had to make a version for younger readers. and so this book followed because she bothered me and she kept me interested and if i had to do it for her, okay? and so this book, and i told this to a group of high school students here, it's a perfect
10:45 am
book for you in middle school, even early high school. but please do pick up my adult book, my parents book, when you're in college. because i left some things out of this book that will mean more to you then, okay? but then this book, "turning pages", it's in english and in spanish. and by the way, for anybody who's learning spanish, with them side-by-side. it's a great way to learn spanish or if you have to learn english, it's a great way to learn english. >> exactly. >> when i wrote the book in english, but when is being translated into spanish, i had to look up some words in the dictionary. but this young readers book, when i thought about middle
10:46 am
school kids, i thought about me as a child. and i realize that there weren't a lot of books when i was going up about people like me. and about kids of my background. and i thought, wouldn't it be nice if for young readers i could write a book and tell them that you can have a special life, even if sometimes some hard things happen to you in life? so when that you asked me earlier tonight, is this a true story? and it's an absolutely true story. every part of this book is what's happened to my life. and i wanted you to not only read it but i wanted you to see it a little bit.
10:47 am
and the pictures in this book are the pictures of my life. and they can be the pictures of your life, by the way, because everything i did, i did through reading and through education. and i wanted you to know how important that was. so that's how this game. >> that's how that was born. >> that was born that way. >> but in this book you talk a lot about books and reading and even going to the library was an escape from some things that were happening in your life. >> right. there were really hard parts of my life. for you guys will learn that my daddy died when i was nine years old, and it was very, very, very sad time in my life and in the life of my family. and my mother was very unhappy,
10:48 am
and so there was a lot of sadness at home. and i had to find the way to go somewhere where i could get away from the sadness of the event. and that place for me was the library. how many of you have a library card? everybody should. and if your parents haven't gotten one, taken tomorrow. make them take you to the library, , okay? and sign up for one. [applause] but in books, this is a picture of when and how sad everybody in my family was. and this is a picture of me in the library. and i found out that when i read books, i dreamt about different places. places that i thought i would
10:49 am
never see in my entire life, but i could sail the entire world, and the pages of the book were my little ship. you see inside that little ship is something that looks like my library card. and so for me, that moment of dealing with my unhappiness and and happiness around me, i found friends in books, and that's what books give you. they keep you a view to the world and way to think about other things, good things and sometimes bad things, but but y to find the world. so that's a picture of what happened when my daddy died. >> and i will tell you, this book is beautifully illustrate. and not only has, it has in the beginning real pictures, actual photographs from your childhood.
10:50 am
>> photos of me as a kid i look like a lot of you, don't i? i do. >> let's talk about that because i feel like people talk about this enough. you just said it. representation matters. indymedia, in films, television, in books. [applause] and now you get to go to library and many of us in this room -- how many latinos are here? [cheers and applause] you get to see yourself in this book and i know what you just said but this is you. these photos look like you. somebody who looks like you and you can't be what you can't see. and i think that it's amazing that you contributed to this body of literature that we all get to grab from and that's important to you. >> well, it is important to me
10:51 am
and it's important for me that kids who go through tough circumstances and tough moments in life, the matter what they are, to know that happy endings are possible. you know, life is never easy. it's hard. you have to work hard here you have to study hard. he had to do a lot of things you don't want to do, but there can still be hope and i want every child to live in the world knowing that dreams can come true. >> yes. [applause] >> now, can a talk a minute about my favorite scene in this book. >> was yes, please. >> okay. this one. >> i was just going to ask you about this. >> okay. i have a condition called
10:52 am
diabetes. they found it when i was seven years old, and was because i got sick in church and i fainted. and the sisters of charity who were my teachers, some of them were there and they called my mom and they told her, you have to take her to the hospital. because you have to find out what's wrong. and mommy took me to the place where she works, because she worked in a hospital as as a telephone operator at the time. and she took me there, and the doctor sat me down and said, i need to check your blood, to have your blood tested to make sure you're okay. and they sent me to the lab room with a lab technician that i knew. he had always been wonderful to me. and he sat me down in the chair
10:53 am
and he said, sonia, i have to take blood from your arm. and this needle looks very, very big and scary. used to use needle in the book? that's how big it looked to me. and he said, but really, it won't hurt. it only hurts from one little second and then it's over with. and he kept talking and he said you'll be fine. and he keeps walking to me and he is carrying this big, big needle, and is coming close to me, and is coming close to me, and is come close to me. and he gets about there, and a look at him and ice cream, no. -- i i scream. i did something i shouldn't have done here i got up off the chair, and a lab room was way in the back on the first floor of
10:54 am
the hospital. i ran all the way outside. i was only seven years old and mommy didn't let me cross the street, so i couldn't go in the street, right? so i i did something that was t very smart. i jumped under the car. >> a parked car. >> a parked car, right. it wasn't running. [laughing] >> want to clarify. >> don't do it. it was very dirty. and it smelled. it was horrible. >> you got dirty. >> i get dirty and it smelled. i didn't like it, but all these hands were reaching underneath kind grabbed out from under the car. and i finally got away from one set of hands, and another sat st calmly. and they dragged me out and they dragged me back into the laboratory room inside the hospital, and there were about four people holding me down, each arm, my legs. i'm screaming so loud.
10:55 am
and crying. well, i i was crying and screag so much i didn't feel the needle go in. [laughing] so after that test, they found out i had diabetes, and i had to go to the hospital. and i was in the hospital for a little while, and they told me that i had to learn how to give myself insulin shots, needles, to take medicine so i could stay alive. and do something that i would have to do the rest of my life. and they had me practicing with the needle on an orange, and i kept thinking, how am i going to do this to myself? this is not easy. who wants to hurt themselves,
10:56 am
right? and so i thought about it and i thought about it, and at the time i loved comic books, and supergirl had just come out. and i thought about supergirl and i said, maybe i can find the courage and bravery supergirl has. maybe i can be as strong as she is. and i used that image of me being supergirl to have and find the courage to give myself my needle. and i've been doing that my entire life. now, today kids use of the things and they have things called pumps. but i found something out, which is we all have courage inside of
10:57 am
us. sometimes you just have to look for it, and you can find it. so when you're a a little bit afraid of something, just ain't about yourself as a superhero, and imagine all the wonderful things you can do in life. so this is my favorite story. [applause] >> in the whole book. >> and it's very well illustrated. it is, but that was one of many obstacles that happen in your life, getting to the highest court was not easy. and in the book you talk about how books have always served the purpose in your life from when speed is every moment. >> from when your dad died, learning about puerto rico. >> gosh, that was so important. somebody came to this earlier and told me that their favorite fruit was mangoes.
10:58 am
if that little boy still here? >> who said that? >> it still my favorite fruit. >> mine, too. >> and my absolute favorite fruit, and this is a picture in puerto rico. and when i was a child and i went to puerto rico, they were still taking naps in the afternoon, siestas. and my whole family would lie down after lunch to fall asleep, but i had too much energy and they use my energy to read. and when i got to college, i used my college to teach me about puerto rico where my family came from. and i learned about all the history of puerto rico when i was in college. so books can teach you about what is now and what was in the past.
10:59 am
and so it's a wonderful, wonderful way of learning history, but learning where you come from and learning where you can go. so yes, these are pictures of puerto rico. >> how many puerto ricans are here? [cheers and applause] [laughing] [speaking spanish] >> well, i was going to talk about -- i want to talk about you, you have lots of wonderful women that influenced you in your life. you talk about your lolita -- >> sorry, this is not a cult. >> this is allergies. >> something has set off my allergies horribly and i go into a room and they just start up. >> bless you. >> i am so sorry.
11:00 am
[laughing] >> bless you. >> i am not sick. >> you've a lot of wonderful women that you are with intellect. you have lolita, your mother. you talk but your cousins. you talk about your aunts. can you talk to us about the role of role models in your life and how it can affect, you know all of young people here. .. >> but they also give us the fire inside of us, the thing that makes us good people, right
11:01 am
there's right and wrong but also teach you to be kind and how to be nice and they make you feel special and so for me i was lucky because i had role model in the women in my life. my grandmother memorized poetry at a family party and there's a picture of her, mi abuelita right in the beginning of the book, that's me and mi abuelita and that's shopping for the chicken we will eat that night. this is her reciting poetry at a family party and my abuelita and
11:02 am
so two daughters, to this day because i saw them a week ago, they said to me, you're more like, you are really your grandmother. and she loves party. i love parties. [laughter] >> she loves food, i love food, she loves music and art and she loved people and i love people and all of those things made her one of me first role models, but there was always mommy and mommy grew up poor, mommy's daddy had died, mommy's mommy had died when she was 9 year's old and her daddy had left her and her
11:03 am
sister, my other titi took her in and raised her in puerto rico at a time when they were very, very poor. and mommy had the strength and the courage to read about the army in a newspaper and her older brother had joined the army and she decided i should join the army too. and she took herself to san juan and passed all of the tests and the army accepted her and that's how she came to the u.s. and it was here she met my daddy but she hadn't graduated from high school. now you have to graduate to high school to go into the army, by the way, she hadn't graduated from high school and she graduated or left the army,
11:04 am
graduated from high school and when i was in high school she went to college. so that's my biggest role model, my mommy because she showed me it doesn't matter where you're brought up. [applause] >> no matter how hard life is, you can become anything you want to become. and so it is important to look for a role model and it's good to start with your parents but sometimes those role models are not in your family. sometimes they are in a school, sometimes religious if you go to church, synagogue, some religious ceremony, you can find someone there. sometimes it's another parent, sometimes it's a neighbor, but it is important to look for people who you can say are doing
11:05 am
good things in life, that they are doing things that are important to people and to learn from them how you can do good things too and that's what a role model is to me, someone who helps teach me how to be a better person and that's what you want in life, is to find the better people in your life and to follow their path and to take their leadership in what you can do to make a better world so for me role models are critically important and i still look for them and i still -- [applause] >> one more question and then i'm going to give you some student questions.
11:06 am
>> the audience. >> oh, yes, do we have names for the questions? >> i have names. >> when they put one, when she start your questions and pulls out your name, please stand up. >> yes, yes. >> let me ask one more question and then we will go out. >> all right. >> justice, you were the first latina ever appointed to the united states supreme court. [cheers and applause] >> so -- i haven't asked the question, i haven't asked the question. i want to know how your culture influences you either every day in your work or in your life and can you give any advice to our
11:07 am
young people here today on whether or not to carry that culture with them, don't be afraid to speak spanish, don't be be afraid or shy away from the culture, how do you approach that on your everyday life, not on the court but just in life? >> i tell everyone, i am a proud, proud american. [cheers and applause] >> i'm proud as anyone else, not only did i have a mother who served in the military, i have cousins who have served, i was born and raised in new york city and -- [cheers and applause] >> that's part of me is still. [speaking in spanish]
11:08 am
>> i have a puerto rican heart. [cheers and applause] >> that's what feels your value, your family, your identity, the culture you come from give you the richness in your life and it's not just the food, it's not just the music and it's not just the poetry, it's in the way that you learn how to love each other as a family and every family from every culture values the same thing, loyalty to family, support for each other and support and for me that's the essence of who i am and want to be.
11:09 am
yo soy una latina americana. [cheers and applause] >> and you have to live life understanding it that it is in the core of your being. your culture feeds who you are. now, there's a harder question and i'm ask it all of the time which is how does it influence you being a judge, well, there's no direct correlation that one can point to. i grew on the basis of law obviously and law has culture because law is american law, it's the law we adhere, but who you are as a person also permits you to see and understand the arguments that people raise before you and so who sonia is, that culture is a part of me and
11:10 am
everything else about me that i grew up in catholic schools, that i worked as a prosecutor, but i also worked for big companies, i went to ivy league schools, that -- i can name everything about my life. >> and you're identity. >> and my identity. >> and all things of who i am. you're melting pot, to borrow metaphor that was popular. we are a melting pot but we are also part of a big and we are individually and each of us bring something special to the room and, yes, we should carry it with us. >> carry it with you proudly. >> proudly. [applause] >> okay. all right. i think the adults in the room know this but the people around
11:11 am
the room, security people, they are here to protect me from me, they don't like that i go out in the audience and that means that if you're an adult, don't jump off because you'll scare them, if you're a kid, you can hug me. [laughter] >> okay, so where -- where is emilia muñoz from garrett park elementary. >> all right, who is that? are you going to get up? where is she. >> she's way up there. >> we will walk as close as we can. >> come on down, sweety. >> thank you. >> hello, hi. hello, you guys, hello again. como estan, hi, we met earlier
11:12 am
and you asked a question, but this time you get a picture alone without your sister. [laughter] >> thank you. >> emilia, do you want to ask your question to the justice? speak into my mic. >> is it hard as a women and especially as latina to become a supreme court justice, how does it feel to be on the supreme court? >> good question. [applause] >> everything in life is hard. to get anywhere, to do anything you have to work at it. being an actress the hours and hours that she has to say her lines and practice her roles, the hours and hours on is set,
11:13 am
well, being the supreme court justice has taken a lot of years, a lot, a lot of hard work and study so it's never easy. yes, it's a little bit harder when you come from a background with a lot of other people don't come from, so if you're a lotna like i was, sometimes if you have a different color skin, if you're eyes are shaped a little differently than people are used to, they make things a bit harder for you. sometimes they don't think you're smart enough and some people when i was nominated to the supreme court said i wasn't smart enough to be on the court, that hurt me a lot, but despite how hard it is, there's also a lot of people in the world who help you.
11:14 am
there are people who support you and will make it more bearable and that's happened to me too but the one thing i learned, don't ever give up. >> yes. >> don't ever give up. [applause] >> because in the end the people who said i wasn't smart enough, i'm here, they're not. [laughter] [cheers and applause] >> it's wonderful to be a voice in the room where some of the most important decisions, legal
11:15 am
decisions facing, don't always win but at least being able to explain my vote and why i believe something is right is terribly important and finally, i get moments like this, i get to meet you. >> and so it's really wonderful to be a supreme court justice. [applause] >> okay. who is marine muñoz, age 6, 6 year's old, she has a very important question for you. >> hello, you get a picture too. hello. hi.
11:16 am
>> you can smile, there we go, you want to ask the justice your question? do you remember what it was? >> yes, do you like ice cream? >> i love ice cream. chocolate chip. >> i love chocolate chip but not mint. but i do like chocolate chip. >> thank you, marine. >> thank you. [laughter] [applause] >> nate zamora, you're here also. >> oh, my gosh. >> we will answer it over here. >> good to see you again, sir. are you 10 year's old? do you remember your question or do you want to read it?
11:17 am
go ahead. >> read your question. >> how did your family -- >> wait. [laughter] >> our government is making decisions that would impact the lives of kids in their future, what can kids do now to make sure their opinions are taken seriously by the government? >> wow. [cheers and applause] [laughter] >> that's an amazing question. >> yes. >> that deserves more than a high-five, first educate about the government and worry about how laws are affecting you, and to learn that you have to figure out how they are made, how the government functions and what
11:18 am
people in government find important because you can't talk to people unless you have knowledge and to me, the most important class you can ever take in school has to be civil class because civics education is what makes this country great. leaders who believe that we could have a republic, when ben franklin left the constitutional convention, a woman stopped him and said, dr. franklin, do we have a monarchy or a republic, and his response was, a republic, madame, if you can keep it. and right now we are about to lose it, there are 38% of young people are saying that democracy
11:19 am
is not, can you imagine living in the united states and a third of people saying something like that? and voter participation among young people doesn't exist, the numbers are small, so, first, you have to work even now at making sure your participants vote on every election. [applause] >> you have to be the first ones to talk to them about those elections and to encourage them to participate because they can count if you make them count. number 2, study, there's a lot of people who watch television but don't really study the questions, she went back to
11:20 am
school to learn about immigration because it's such an important topic to her. you can't have a role, people will listen to persuasive arguments and to be persuasive you have to learn. and number 3, take an interest, don't lose it. keep wanting to make a difference. have passion about knowing that you can make a difference and speak up. the kids in parkland, florida spoke up and many of them said that it was their civics class that taught them that they had something that people might listen to. your voices are important and there are people who will listen and i'm glad you're asking. thank you.
11:21 am
[applause] >> okay. where is isabela from -- isabella. [laughter] >> no, she went -- >> i don't think that was her. [laughter] >> okay, we will find isabella. mia, oak ridge elementary school. mia j. >> mia, alla. hello, love, come on up to the aisle.
11:22 am
>> let's ask your question right here. [inaudible conversations] >> you lost your dad at young age, what advice would you give kids that are going through similar times and want to help? >> that's a really good question. [applause] >> first of all, you can't cure their problems. to be frank, it's not because you are a kid, it's because people have to work out their
11:23 am
problems sometimes. they have to figure out what's important to them and how to deal with it. and the greatest thing that you can choose is giving yourself something that you're not responsible for. it's not your job. it is your job perhaps to tell them how you feel and that it hurts you, but you're not responsible and there will be hard, hard times that all you can do is live through them and wait for them to end because they will, they'll be a new beginning, they'll be a different step, they'll be something else that would come along and make the world again and it will, it'll take time
11:24 am
sometimes. it took my daddy a long time for my mother to be happy again but eventually she was and she even then many, many, many, many years later married another man who she was very happy with and so, yes, you have to live this and sometimes you have to cry and maybe you have to tell them how hurt you are but in the end -- [inaudible] >> and you can't fix it good luck. [applause] >> okay, this is a very special question, camilla from swanson middle school.
11:25 am
where is camila? i want to say something about camila. >> what did you do to yourself? it's going to take a long time. [laughter] >> i know. ever since i got to washington, i've been nothing but accidents. [laughter] >> maybe it's something in the air here, i don't know. >> camilla and her family recently moved here to virginia with her participants from puerto rico after devastation of hurricane irma and maria, how many understand what happened in puerto rico with the hurricane and so, many, many puerto ricans have come here because of the devastation on the island so camilla, where is she?
11:26 am
okay. >> okay. >> let's ask her a question. what's your name? cruz, how old are you? >> i'm 12. >> cruz, okay. here we go. >> we will get a picture with you. >> what was the biggest challenge you faced getting to be a supreme court justice? >> yes, good question. >> thank you. you know the biggest challenge we all face in life, not to be afraid. that's our biggest challenge because fear is usually what keeps us from doing things and that included being a supreme court justice, during the process i told you that people said i wasn't smart enough, other not nice things about me and it hurt and hurt a lot and i really was afraid both that my
11:27 am
reputation would be damaged but could i really do the work, when people say you can't, there's a little of you that really say, can i, can i? and it took some friends who looked at me and said, it's not about you, sonia, stop being selfish. this is about all those kids out there who will look at someone like you in that position and know that things are possible to them, so stop being afraid, get off your behind and go do it. that's the friends. [laughter] [applause] >> but how many of you, guys, here or girls never have gotten up to dance because you're afraid of looking foolish?
11:28 am
[laughter] >> me too. i took dancing lessons when i was 16 year's old. [laughter] >> because i was the only latina in a lot of parties didn't that know how to dance. and finally i said, i should stop being afraid. there's so many things we don't try whether it's the food that mommy hands you and you say, no, i'm not going to even taste it, all right, or it's the activity that someone wants you to do and you say i'm not going to do that, and there's some wonderful things that follow when you're not afraid because you can find the thing you'll fall in love with the next minute if you just try and so that is the biggest challenge.
11:29 am
i think it's the biggest challenge in life. be afraid, so -- [applause] >> that's all the questions i have here. >> all right. >> yes. we found camilla, you are here. >> come up. [applause] >> he asked that question. do you have another question? i have a question for you. [laughter] >> okay. >> wait, sorry. picture. [laughter] >> i'm just photo bombing all of these photos, i'm sorry. >> what do you want kids to know about your book?
11:30 am
>> oh, what do i want you to learn from the book? >> from the book. >> so many things. first i want to look at the pictures and find all the little things in the pictures that the artist drew. i showed you one of them, right, with my library card in it, so look at my hand, it's holding a key, you know what that's a key to? it's a key to your success in life, reading. it was my key, it can become your key now. now, you see the fob, the tinny little fob, you can barely see
11:31 am
it -- [applause] >> the first one to look at the pictures and find those little things. there's a picture in here of puerto rico and there's a little house in it and there's two people sitting on a porch, one of them is ironing and the other
11:32 am
one is standing up, that's my mother and my -- there's a lot of other things in here like that but what i hope you'll find in the book above all else is an understanding of how precious words are. words in comic books, words that say to each other, tools in life, i really want you to understand even if you find reading hard because many people that learning more about them can give you a world that you
11:33 am
would never imagine. that's what i want you to be. [applause] >> why did you name your book turning pages? >> what do you do with a book? [laughter] >> i turn the pages. >> good question. >> very good question. come on up. [speaking in spanish] >> porque hiciste hacer el libro? >> para ti? [speaking in spanish] >> why did i want this job?
11:34 am
[laughter] >> i don't know some things. i believe in the good in people, in a community together. we believe different things, our interest are never quite the same and while trying to do is give us rules that we can live together that we can share resources, that we can avoid really angry problems, or fights, that we can do things
11:35 am
together as a community and i love being a lawyer because as a lawyer, their relationships with one another, and they help us with those problems and so what my life would be as a lawyer, when i thought about being a judge because i wanted who can help explain what the laws meant to other people and so that's why i wanted this job because i still think i can help.
11:36 am
so -- [speaking in spanish] [laughter] [speaking in spanish] [speaking in spanish] [applause] >> that's all -- we want to go back up this way?
11:37 am
>> the young lady, i like that t-shirt. >> stand up and show them your shirt. turn around, show everybody tell them your shirt. sandra, ruth and elena. [applause] >> did you ever want supreme court justice as a kid? >> no. [laughter] >> i didn't know what one was, how can you dream about something that you don't know about, far ahead of me, you're kids and you know what a supreme court justice is, i didn't, that's why i said to you, reading is really important because it helps to dream about things you wouldn't know about and so, no, i never imagined and then by the time i guy up and i started to learn about the courts and how important it was and the work it did, i began to learn that it's really, really not just hard to get on the
11:38 am
supreme court but there's not that many spots. [laughter] >> you know, there's 9 justices, we have a job for life and in your lifetime, if the court changes more than once, that's a lot. so it's really, really hard to get on the supreme court and the entire united states i'm the 111th. [applause] >> now, i never did imagine it, i didn't think it was possible and i didn't imagine that it was real until i heard the white house operator's voice on my telephone say, please hold for
11:39 am
the president and -- [applause] >> president barack obama came on the phone and said, judge, because i was a judge then, judge sotomayor i'd decided i'd like to make you my nominee to the supreme court. [cheers and applause] >> i didn't think it was possible. [laughter] >> hello, sweety, what's your question? >> my question is why inspired
11:40 am
you write turning pages? >> what inspired me? wanting to talk to kids like you. you know, i collected, i've collected from my book tour, i've probably gotten more than 3,000 and i just love every hug i get. so i really do like kids, i love you, i'm still a kid at heart, so i have another children's book coming out in september. yeah. [applause] >> and that book is called just ask, be different, be brave, be you. and it was born from something that happens to me as a diabetic
11:41 am
and there's people who look at me and look at me like i'm strange. i'm giving myself this needle, there must be wrong with you, i overheard one lady in a restaurant one day who had seen me in the bathroom telling the person she was with, she's a drug addict. [laughter] >> and i went up to her, i said i'm not a drug addict. >> good. >> i'm a diabetic. and you shouldn't just assume things about people, but people do it. when kids have differences, when they are struggling with things, how many of you have food allergies?
11:42 am
some kids have food allergies, some kids are blind, some kids are deaf, some kids find reading very hard, you know, we can be different and sometimes people make us feel bad because we are different and i wanted to write a book to tell everybody being different is not just okay, we are stronger, we are braver, we are different but we are just us. [applause] >> and so i wrote the book for all the kids who deal with things in their life that are hard.
11:43 am
[applause] >> okay. >> my question is, as a supreme court judge have you ever gotten any problems and how did you overcome it? >> as a supreme court justice have i afterhad -- i've ever had any problems? well -- [laughter] >> you know, i'm one of 9 judges and the other guys, they don't always listen to me. [laughter] >> that can be very frustrating. have you ever had a moment with your mother or father where
11:44 am
you're trying to explain something and you don't think they are listening? [laughter] >> i think it happens to all of us, no, they always listen? they are good. [laughter] >> they are really good, you get frustrated because you want to shake people who are not listening, please listen to me, this is so right, why do you think that other way, you're so wrong? [laughter] >> and that can be hard. that can be very hard, but we have a way of getting past this and that is we can write what we think and other people can read it and understand why we think that way and so because of that that's helps me. it helps me with my problem because i can talk about it and
11:45 am
that's what one can do with problem, it helps to talk about that and sometimes you can talk to your parents about them, almost all of the time, but many not, maybe you have to go to a friend, go to your grandmother, i used to do that a lot but talking about your problems helps a lot. >> we have time for one more question. don't make me pick. okay, you right here. come on up. yeah, you want to meet her. [applause] >> hello. como te llamas? [speaking in spanish] >> he's not even here, the camera guy is not even here. i was finally out of the way --
11:46 am
>> he's leaving me. >> where were you? [laughter] >> okay. >> all right, here you go ingrid. >> how did it feel like to be the first latina in the supreme court? >> awesome. [cheers and applause] >> as i said to you when i started earlier, to be a voice in the room is so important but to be latina and to do things that i know you can do too is even better. so for all the latinos and latinas in this room, i don't want to be the only latina justice on the supreme court. [cheers and applause] >> hurry up, grow up.
11:47 am
[laughter] >> work hard and either join me or come take my place, okay? [laughter] [cheers and applause] >> i'm going to come back up here. okay. so i want to thank everybody for being here, coming out today to listen to the wise words of our wise latina and -- [cheers and applause] >> thank you, justice, for writing this amazing book adding to your library and you should just become an author but we need you so much on the court. [laughter] >> thank you so much for coming. any last words, justice? >> i said it earlier, i truly love you. thank you for the support, thank you for the interest, thank you for spending this time with us
11:48 am
and then thank you for being you. >> thank you. [applause] [cheers and applause] >> looking at the u.s. capitol here this morning where the senate will gavel in this afternoon, lawmakers will start their day at 3:00 p.m. eastern with more work on the jones nomination, procedural vote set for 5:30 eastern this afternoon. next terminating president trump's emergency declaration for the southern border, watch the senate live right here at 3:00 p.m. eastern on c-span2.
11:49 am
also, live this afternoon remarks from anatoli, russian ambassador to the united states, he's expected to talk about the state of relations between trust and russia from the simpson center here in washington, live coverage starts at 3:00 p.m. eastern and you can see that on c-span. also today, assad, pakistani ambassador to the u.s. talks about relations of the two countries from the u.s. institute of peace here in washington, coverage starts at 3:00 p.m., you can watch online at c-span.org or listen with the free c-span radio app. tonight, on the communicators, we are on capitol hill with south dakota republican senator john thoone who chairs subcommittee and ohio republican bob letta to discuss high-speed broadband service, privacy laws
11:50 am
and 5g and net neutrality. >> very much interested in 5g and an on the -- autonomous vehicles and i think it'll be a big bipartisan establishment of the congress, republicans and democrats realize that we have to have some sort of national data privacy standard or law that will protect people's personal information. >> we have meetings on privacy and one of the big issues out there, you can't have states going out doing their own thing, you can't -- it won't work. you have to have a national standard. >> watch the communicators on

9 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on