Skip to main content

tv   House Rules Committee Hearing on Special Counsel Mueller Report  CSPAN  March 12, 2019 8:00pm-9:00pm EDT

8:00 pm
court, and public-policy events in washington dc at around the country. c-span is brought to you by your cable or satellite provider. >> coming up tonight on c-span2, monday's meeting of the house rules committee on the resolution to make the robert mueller report to congress and the public when it's released. ... ... tomorrow the house of representatives will begin work on age congress 24 a nonbinding resolution which calls for special counsel robert moyers report to be made available to the public.
8:01 pm
monday the house rules committee considered the resolution and heard from judiciary committee doug collins. and steve cohen chair of the judiciary subcommittee on the constitution. hour.eeting is under an [inaudible] >> the rules committee will come to order. nearly two years ago former fbi director robert morley under mueller. was to take over the russian interference in 2016 presidential election.pr we know, no matter what the president says on twitter the facts are clear.
8:02 pm
i will take the word of our intelligence committee over vladimir putin any day. the question is whether the russians had any help and whether any crimes were committed to cover it up. none of us knows the answer to that. we do notot know what the specil counsel will conclude this investigation. there are some indications however, that it could be wrapping up soon. as we kick off sunshine week today the committee is considering age congress 24. the resolution makes clear that congress believes the american people should have access to the final report. the american people do not want it to be stashed away or hidden somewhere. in a recent cnn poll 87% of the public said they think the findings of the mueller investigation should be made public. let me be clear, moving this forward is not prejudging the investigations outcome. we do not know if it'll be critical of any individual including the president or not. this is not about them. the under embarrassing president trumpets ensuring the presiden n
8:03 pm
people have the information they deserve. democrats are pushed to transparency and republicans on both sides of the capital have voiced support for releasing the special counsel's report to. that includes the top three members of the house republicane leadership. this resolution is our chance to go on record and i hope members of both sides of the aisle to take this opportunity. before we hear between from the witnesses let me turn to the ranking member for any remarks. >> thank you very much, mr. chairman and frank lehto have a lot to say about today's legislation because frankly in my view it doesn't accomplish anything. it's a nonbinding l resolution expression to believe that it's unwritten as far as we know in an unreleased report for the special counsel's office should be made public. i am actually more concerned with the lack of meaningful legislation this week for us to deal with. all we are doing all week long is suspension bills in this nonbinding resolution. i would hope instead we can find things that we can work on
8:04 pm
together in advance things in a bipartisan way. on substance again, i would say is premature because this nonbinding, i have no problem and i tend to vote for, i made the same calls that you mentioned in other republicans ma. the only caveat i would add is because of the sensitive nature of some of the material that has been looked at there might be sources in the issue and that's in my view what the attorney general might be looking at to make sure we don't inadvertently expose asset or some technique they give their opponent some sort of advantage in understanding how we get the information that we have. again, i would prefer to wait until we actually had the report but again i have no objections the calling for the release of as much of it that may be practical for people to have a look at. i do think we are wasting a lot of time this week.
8:05 pm
i can't figure out what we are doing the substantive. i yield back. >> thank you appreciate the gentlemen's comments. i would just say there lots of committees that are working on very substantive pieces of legislation and doing hearings on the. one of the things that we put in the house rules is that substantive bills before they come to this committee, ought to have hearings of jurisdiction and markups. that is something my friends on the other side didn't adhere to all the time when they were in the majority. but i assure you the gentleman that there is lots of substance coming down the way some of which are like and some of which you won't like so much. as prices go, i think it is important especially if it's a strong bipartisann vote. that we go on record saying we want transparency and we believe that the american people ought to know what is goingth on all this time in the mueller investigation. i have no idea what the mueller investigation is going to g say. i think it's a concern, and a
8:06 pm
lot of my constituents are concerned when they hear some peopleit talk about not making t public or we may never know what the mueller report says. i think after all this and what we do know happened to the 2016 elections was russia's interference in the election and the attack on the democracy. i think it is important and substantive, in a bipartisan way saying what the sunshine and. having said that, i appreciate the gentlemen's comments and we are happy to welcome the distinguished gentlemanto mr. cohen and ranking member collins. i now recognize the gentleman from tennessee, mr. cowans. >> they can mr. chair mr. ranking member. i am here filling in for
8:07 pm
mr. nadler, i want to take an opportunity to say this is the first time i have been to this committee since the slaughter was here and how wonderful a miss seeings and i her. >> she's watching right now. [laughter] >> so be good. >> thank you. i appreciate the opportunity to testify today concerning the important resolution. h conrad's 624 expresses the special report of robert mueller delivers to the attorney general should be released to the public and congress. he reduces. resolution. releasing the report in full would be consistent with the intent of the special counsel regulations, past president, attorney general public statements and most importantly the interest of the american public. i believe president trump has said he would like to see released and to paraphrase, ronald reagan, we paid for thisi
8:08 pm
report. the whole purpose of appointing special counsel to oversee the top russian investigation was to ensure the american public would have full confidence in the integrity of the investigation. the acting attorney general stated that mr. mueller was appointed in order for the american people to have full confidence in the t outcome. and to ensure government officials administer the law fairly. the american public can only have confidence in the process in the outcome of the investigation to department of justice is transparent. failing to provide a account of the findings with other mind the american public's confidence in the entire process and defeat the great purpose for which the special counsel was appointed. the transparency is critical aspect of the special counsel regulations and release of the report would be constant with the intent of the regulations. department of justice commentary stresses that the importance of the ensuring congressional and public confidence in the integrity of the process.
8:09 pm
and the only other interest for special counsel was appointed in the regulations in 1999 concerning the 1993 confrontation in waco texas, interim and final reports including the findings provided by the special counsel were released to the american public by the attorney general. the need for transparency is even more pronounced for investigations that involve our president. the department of justice policy permits the disclosure of investigative materials and serves the interest to the american public, even as they pertain to unchurched third parties. while we recognize the department may be prohibited from classified and grand jury information that may be in the report, methods and sources from intelligence world, the department should release the mueller report to the maximum extent permitted by law and provide the report in full to congress. it is clear that the interest of the market public is served by transparency with respect to any
8:10 pm
investigation that could implicate or exonerate our president. this is especially true given the serious allegations of the center of the investigation paid no coincidence this resolution will be considered by sunshine week.alsten about of this resolution will send a clear vote to the american people in the department of justice the congress believes transparency is necessary to ensure that the government is accountable to its people. i urge the committee to adopt the technical amendment which clarifies the resolution calling for the release of the special counsel finding, as was the case of the release concerning the 1993 confrontation in waco that i previously mentioned. i urge bruce with consideration on the floor passage by thege house. >> thank you. >> thank you, mr. chairman. this will be short and to the point. i think this resolution is simply a restatement of the law. we are not covering any new grounds. this is anything that my friend from tennessee just said. i think the attorney general has been clear that he wants to provide the information because he understands the gravity of this. and his confirmation here. as we look forward the president
8:11 pm
is looking forward and said he has done nothing wrong. i think this will follow up on that. with that, i think if this is what we need to vote on this week, so be it. i joined my ranking member, there -- i would love to have damages to markup hr one judiciary. as far as this goes i am dealing with my friend from tennessee, there will be things i'm sure we will disagree on probably as we go along, that what may or may not come out. and i think the general from tennessee brought that up. investigative and we will deal with those as they come up but simply talking about a report coming up. we really have nothing to say except a restatement of the law. appreciate it and i yield back. >> i appreciated as well. and i think that you see more comforted by the attorney general's confirmation hearings than i do when it comes to releasing the mueller report. i hope you're right.
8:12 pm
mr. hastings. [inaudible] i am looking for this quote i wrote down. this particular resolution doesn't accomplish anything. we are big-time politicians here in washington. both sides of the aisle it becomes important for us to inform the american public. most times when things like this when there been times when i have been in the position with my good friend from oklahoma when i say we are not doing much ofwe anything, and the party on the other side wanted the
8:13 pm
american public to know something. to know how they felt about something. we appear referred to as messaging. i am referring to it asam that that is not what i believe the party itself is. i see it as an important message for the reason -- and i'm not one that likes or believes or ever had a poll conducted on my behalf. i'm not a great believer in snapshots and a point in time. but, all of the pulling reflex at the american public wants to see what it can that is not classified and not grand jury or subject to ongoing investigations and all those particular. the american public really wants to see what mueller has done. i ask any of you, how often when
8:14 pm
you're in your district or on the phone talking with the can situate and they ask you about healthcare or any other matter -- i was walking in here in the republican colleague of mine was clustered with a group of members and i walked up and shook his hand, i was walking away and i heard a lady say, what about the mueller report. that was 20 minutes ago. almost all o o of us have peoplk us what is going to happen with the mueller report. this particularsk resolution gos on record saying precisely, that we believe to the extent it can be made public, that it should be made public. i don't know about all the rest ofli you, but i feel it pretty egregious and i believe most people in the country believe
8:15 pm
that russia did something wrong and that is a part of why muelleran was given his remand. whatever that was that was wrong affected our election in a variety of ways, disinformation, misinformation, employing all sorts of botched during the course of the o election. remember now 12 russians have been indicted. they probably will never see the light of day in the american court. but they have been indicted meaning there washa a trail to what they did. i want to know what mueller has to say about that. i want to know what he has to say about the people that he indicted and i want to know what he has to say about the people that he declined to indict. and i think most americans have that same theory. i am not talking about democrat republicans here, i know that my
8:16 pm
good friend from georgia, met with attorney general. i didn't have the good fortune to be with him when he met with the attorney general, otherwise i would've asked the attorney general to give me an indication intends to handle his remit as it pertains to this investigation. and i won't bother to quote what you said, but it didn't sound promising to me that he was getting ready to be relevant worry with reference to whatever and whenever. i wish people would -- particularly in the media. just wait a minute, you will see atthis report that is related ad it may not happen at a given
8:17 pm
time, but a week ago we were all spun up that the it was going to be out friday, this past thursday it was going to be out friday. now we are talking about what is happening this week that may give usy. a lead, it isn't going to give us anything. mueller has playeds his cards d rightly he should. in the simple fact of the matter that there will come a day when he will issue a report and i believe that this resolution helps the american publics understand that we as democrats want to be assured that they are going to receive as much of the mueller information as is. possible. and i would hope that that message is carried back to mr. barr and that he doesn't give us a snapshot summary of whatever it is that mueller does, whatever he does, whenever he does it. thank you.
8:18 pm
>> thank you. mr. cole. >> thank you very much. there's not a great deal and what my friend had to say that i would disagree with. i have been on record repeatedly that as soon as they can get something done -- obviously -- and nobody this dais would want anybody that intelligence technique or the assets be exposed, that's not the intent. this ought to be as complete and thorough and open as possible. i might disagree slightly with my friend, i would be careful about mentioning people who are accused of a crime. that ispe usually the way the authorities -- i certainly yield to my friend. >> well -- >> to reclaim my time, usually, if you're having an investigation, if you don't charge w is something you don't mention it. that is just the way the authorities -- matter fact i think we probably both agree that too bad mr. cho meeting of father follow that dictate in the last presidential election.
8:19 pm
that is the only caveat i have. other than that -- i propose a way of opinion is worth something. this is a nonbinding resolution. it's not going to force them. but i think the attorney general at his word. he said repeatedly, under oath in front of the united states senate when he was being considered that he was going to be as forthcoming as he possibly could. he spoke of his high personal regard of mr. mueller. in their long working relationship. for that matter the administration for certainly not happy about the mueller probe but they never ended it.he the president has never acted to stop it nor has anybody in the administration. i do agree with my friend. i think the report will come and i think we will get there. i guess i wish we were doing something else is weak that was substitute other than justice. again, nothing that either of my friend said on the panel that i
8:20 pm
disagree with other than my chairman has said, nothing that my good friend of the vice chairman has said that i disagree with. so i suspect i will reflect on the floor. i think you will get a very strong vote that is much as possible to be open. with that, i yield back mr. chairman. >> if that's the case, i think you will be a powerful statement. >> thank you, mr. chairman. and thank you to both of you for being here. i am truly looking forward to passingmr this on a bipartisan level. as you stated, there is nothing here but to say the sense of congress. nothing more than what we do when we recommit ourselves to doing something. i think getting ahead of that as we mark sunshine week this week
8:21 pm
in the weather outside is participating in the sunshine week because it's 60 degreesde outside. much cooler here than in my home state of california, by the way. congress must commit to the american people that we are truly for transparency. that we truly want to be, not just as transparent as we can be, but make sure that they have the correct information in front of them. but, the trump administration appears to be terrified of this report. because of that in those comments in the tweets, dashed by the way i hope someone is keeping track of all of that because, ifor evidence, right? i think it is important for us to go on record to ensure that
8:22 pm
the american people know that we are committed to the transparency. i want to remind the members that withholding information is the same thing as light. so we don't want to withhold information and lie to the american public about what may lv may not be in thisam report. so it is important for us to recommit ourselves in and it's important for us to voter for this age con rest 24 in a bipartisan way. with that i yield back. >> thank you very much. >> i want to make one comment and that with withholding classified information that would be withheld would not bere lying. in the historic of both democrat and republican, we are both clear on that and i want toma me the statement because i think it's what you meant but i want to clarify that. that wouldn't be something that either one of us would agree
8:23 pm
that would be in a publicg. setting. >> to classify report ultimately questioning. >> i'm sure there's classified information in there but that's beyears. that's only question but rather than that we agree completely. i yield back. >> thank you, mr. chairman in the resolution recognizes exactly what mr. collins has said. i think the most disappointing thing to me is that we are talking about this and this is an issue, my friend mr. hastings who i believe to be one of the most inclusive people in the institution has always been a friend to me said he thought this resolution was important because he wanted americans to know what democrats thought. i think most resolutions in the house are important because as for the folks to know what we alluan think. somebody wins and somebody loses in the majority party gets to set thatse agenda. but in five pages of findings, we don't talk about classified information. but when we get down to the eighth line of actual substance, in the legislation is says
8:24 pm
release it to the extent that publicpu disclosure is expressly prohibited by law, recognize that things are prohibited by law. to begin this drumbeat to say that if things are classified, if there are things that are grand jury testimony cannot be released, that somehow something untoward is going on i think undermines this trust by chairman in good faith is trying to create with the socialization. there is a legitimate element of skepticism in the country today about transparency. probably they would expect more than a restatement of current law to be during transparency week, sunshine week. but i hope this will be an opportunity for us to make it clear that there are things that
8:25 pm
cannot be released. but to the extent, possible, and i quote all of the attorney general statements, saying that he wants to release it to the full extent possible. this is not something that needs to be divided. it is something that could unitn us into mr. collins point, perhaps the slower legislative week this week, he would allow for more of those committee hearings to take place in marks of untrue markups to take place. we only have 110 committees looking at hr one. but the clock ticks out march committees and markups. the new rules are going into effect soon here and what the chairman has light on and we all desire will soon be a reality. >> i appreciate the gentleman comments and i appreciate mr. collins as well, but i do think this is a really strong bipartisan vote. i think that would show you no
8:26 pm
managing when it comes to this issue. i think it's very important. none of us know what is going to be in the report, we allil wanto make sure we are protecting sources and classified information. but i think it's a strong bipartisan vote and i think it's e good signal not only for this issue but for the iraqi people to see that we actually grant something. you don't have to agree on everything to agree on something. if we agree on this that's a good thing. >> thank you. thank you, mr. chairman. thank you for your testimony today. quickly for me, speaking as a representative of the suburbs of denver. the fact that we've got one conviction, seven guilty pleas, 34 people and three companies indicted, and then a whole range of investigations that may exonerate individuals or implicate individuals, i think
8:27 pm
this is an important resolution and i appreciate the bipartisanship you two are exhibiting today so that all of us, the matter what it is that comes out in the report have a chance to look at it, thinkk about it, and digested. these investigations have beenha swirling around in the president dashed his name has either been sullied or implicated appropriately. i think this report will be good for all of us to see. i appreciate the gentleman for bringing it forward and i look forward to loading in this committee and on the floor. without a yelled back. >> thank you message. i am reminded of the words of another physician who was in the house of representatives when i started here when i was ons yor side of the ledger, doctor mcdermitt, the one the republicans put forward a sense
8:28 pm
of congress resolution on something or another. he he said gentlemen, this is to sending a get well card to the agency in question. so i would just offer that, as words from a former representative mcdermott of washington state, i think he may been onto something. earlier today, the speaker of the house talking about and to be honest that's what were talking about here. we are hoping that the mueller report will have delivered to you sufficient grounds to proceed with the impeachment hearings and your committee. speaker pelosi, earlier today said that impeachment is too divisive and president trump is not worth it. so, okay? that is interesting.
8:29 pm
unfortunately he is not here but according to the new york times, last week, i guess he was worried that the below report won't have in it what he originally is expected to see in the mueller report because he sent out 81 letters a week ago today touching notice. he included government agencies, trump business and political associationassociates, the trump organization, the trump campaign in the inaugural committee. maybe these are private citizens and they now are swept up in this 81 request for information and they all have to go out and erhire lawyers at their own expense, so this is not something that i think should be done lightly. but again, i think it comes back to the judiciary committee, the
8:30 pm
particularity it's the chairman was said in previous recitations that he is planning to proceed with impeachment. and what the speaker said today, perhaps there's a disagreement therent but -- nevertheless youe going forward with 81 separate investigations to the various people andss again, i would just point out to you that those are all -- some of those are just folks that are not of large political presence, their smaller players in the whole drama, but still they have to go out and hire legal counsel and with some expense that they're going to possibly come before your staff of your committee or before your committee and they seen evidence of how people are treated, and they are
8:31 pm
justifiably concerned. now, i share that concern because it was in your committee, the judiciary committee on february 26, 1 of the democratic members, representative deutsche mischaracterized the work being done to the department of health and human services to care for unaccompanied alien children by stating that the office of representative ed creating an environment of systemic sexual assaults by hh as staff and unaccompanied alien children. this accusation was absolutely false and to my knowledge i don't know that he is ever visited and know our facility. i know i have at least ten times. if comments just spread the effort by oh our employees to deal with the problem thatad was created not in this
8:32 pm
administration but in previous administrations with the care of unaccompanied alien children came within the purview of the office of refugee if you don't like the work that oh oh r is doinghe that you are in the majority and you are the appropriateri committee that cod change the authority. following the claims representative deutsche he sent a letter detailing the facts of the sexual assault allegations and requested an apology from representative deutsche from the best of my knowledge has not received the apology. and i am going to ask that the entire letter that was sent to representative deutsche, i do want to read a portion because i think it's instructed and it's a letter from jonathan hayes to representative deutsche of
8:33 pm
february 26 you stated the orr created an environment of systemic sexual assault by staff on unaccompanied alien children and went on to conclude that you have seen thousands of cases of sexual assault however, this is unsupported that you provided and none of the allegations involves hhs employees by deliberately, negatively mischaracterizing during a televised hearing you impugn the integrity of hundreds of civil servants who like commander white, worked tirelessly to ensure the well-being of the nearly 50000 unaccompanied alien children who have been charged by federal law to protect on behalf of these dedicated employees of the department of health and human services assigned to the unaccompanied alien children's program, we request that you will apologize to these career civil student
8:34 pm
for your onward and unfounded comments. acknowledging that you are wrong is a moral, decent and right thing to do. the letter goes into more considerable detail. unfortunately, chairman nadler is not here. but i hope you will take this information back to your chairman, and i do request that the individual who made these allegations against these dedicated federal employees and civil servants provide the appropriate apology that mr. hayes has requested. i'd be happy to take anyye questions. >> thank you. the gentleman from tennessee. >> thank you. i want to clarify doctor, i have kept very close attention to mrn impeachment and unfortunately i have to tell you he has never said he was for impeachment. he specifically said he is not and he is for oversight and ni the road of letting
8:35 pm
the american public know what is happened during this administration, he has never said he was for impeachment and if he had i would remember it well. >> nevertheless i think the data that is being collected that chairman nadler is requesting, the fact that we are here talking about the mueller report that has not even been released yet i think points in the general direction that russia did something wrong inin the lat election, let's be honest you think president trump did something wrong and that something wrong was something he won election that nobody expected him to win. [inaudible] >> the point is, the reason people are upset with the president is that he won an election that you did not think he could win. and we have heard that over and over again. [inaudible]
8:36 pm
>> sir, i didn't think he could win, that's not why i'm upset, i'm upset with what he said about people who find people on both sides of charlottesville and i'm upset about what he said about muslim people, i'm upset because what he said about women, i'm upset with his policies concerning children and their opportunities. i'm upset with him for saying that he hadn't taken food and he would never lied about interfering with our elections, i'm upset with him for so many other reason, not for the fact i'm he won the election,r upset how he served as president. >> and yet, in every election that i can recall since i came to congress, your side has talked about rebuilding theut middle class, and doggone it, this individual has done more to rebuild the middle class than any presidency since i've been in office. let's go a little bit further, you detail these things that you don't like about the president, this is the first president that has signed major six cell legislation in decades.
8:37 pm
major sickle-cell effort on the part of the fda and nih right now. to deal with sickle-cell in the way that has been dealt with in a long time. what about davis' bill, there are subcommittee interwork on the floor, davis' sickle-cell bill became law and was signed into law by thiss president. this president signed the first major attempt to try to bring some rationality to the way that maternal mortality is reported in this country so that we can begin to do something about it. i would argue that this president has been enormously successful in things that he is undertaken.. but, for the purpose of this hearing and not the purpose of my questioning. the purpose of my questioning was for you to convey to your
8:38 pm
committee that he is an apology and i would expect it to be delivered. >> if you don't respond to him -- >> on behalf of the committee, the 81 entities or people who have been asked to give information have all given the information or some information to the mueller investigation, to the southern district of new york or to some other particular agency that has looked into remission and performance. we are not talking about any first involvement with the government. they probably all had attorneys, they were just asking to give the material they've given to somebody els' that. >> again, i think it would be appropriate for the member of your committee to provide an apology to the secretary of hhs and the director of office of refugee resettlement. and i hope to see that happen
8:39 pm
this week and if it does not i am prepared to process further. thank you, mr. chairman i will yell back. >> let me also say, if anybody here has any question ashe a to whether or not russia interfered in our 2016 election, i am happy to organize this committee a briefing with the head of our intelligence agencies speak. because i think at this point, that should no longer even be a question or hypothetical. it happened. there is plenty of documentati documentation, classified and unclassified, that is available for people. if there's any question we can get a meeting together with this committee. mr. raskin. >> mr. chairman. thank you verymr much. i'm very much in support of the house congregational resolution number 24. we live in a time of rising authoritarianism all over the world. whether it's vladimir putin in
8:40 pm
russia, or hungry, or do tear take in the philippines, or air wanted to rekey, or nbs the homicidal crown prince ofth saui arabia, wherever we turn we see democracy and freedom under w attack. and i'm very glad that on an overwhelming bipartisan basis last week we denounced the rise of anti-semitism and racism in this country and all over the world. we voted overwhelmingly that this was a threat to democracy and our constitutional values. anti-semitism and racism are the gateway to destruction of our democracy in democracies all over the world. now, why do i raise that,
8:41 pm
because that's the whole context in which we have a mueller investigation in the whole context in which congress is about to express i think on overwhelming bipartisan basis. that the mueller report has got to be given to the american people. as the chairman says, our electoral process was the target of the greatest active major disinformation and decent a stabilization campaign in the history of russia. and you can talk to any of our intelligence is about it and i hope that the good gentleman from texas would if he needs for the convincing. and there are many books about an hour. there were millions and millions of dollars spent on a campaign to destabilize our election process. that should be a matter of concern to all ofli us whether u are democrat, republican, river tehran, green, reform, he hit all the parties, and makes no
8:42 pm
difference. there is an effort to destabilize our national political sovereignty in 2016. the way it was expensive me with a friend who has worked in intelligence committee was very clarify for me, he said, putin is a variety like many all over the world. he said that the loss of the soviet union and he had been the chief of the kgb the loss of the soviet union was approved 20th century. not what happened in world war ii, not genocide or holocaust or world war i, but the crumbling of the soviet union. he looks at america and he says you can't beat us militarily, we outspend them 25 to one. and you can't beat usca economically. because russia is in ruins but we -- you certainly can't beat
8:43 pm
us in terms of political moral philosophy because american people, despite everything we've gone through are in love with her democracy in our constitutional values. and we will not trade it for anything else. what do they have, what's the deal, the internet. it's informational security, the security of our computer system. and they arrange a campaign to conduct cyber espionage and sabotage to pull all the e-mails at the friends of wikileaks to release those to undermine one side in another country's political campaign. then theyertipa try to conduct a campaign sabotage directly into state election systems and a lot of states computer systems are hit directly. mine was. and if you have any doubt about that i will give you the phone number of the head of our board of elections who reported it when the russian agents tried to get into maryland's election
8:44 pm
systems. perhaps, most prodigiously, they conducted a campaign of propaganda through facebook, twitter and social media in order to inject poison into the american system. so, everybody who plays in to the divisiveness and the polarization, everybody who tries to summon up hate for the other political party, and everybody playing right into vladimir putin's hands is exactly what he wanted. he wanted this group to hate that group and that party to hate that party in that group to hate that group, and look how well it has worked. look where we are in america in 2019. they did that beautifully didn't they? there internet research agency which employed hundreds of people to pump poison and propaganda into our system. whether you think the president would actively complicit in this
8:45 pm
and be involved in it, or you think is pulled completely innocent and do nothing about it,ky or whether you think he'sa lucky guy, it's irrelevant, american needs to know what happened to us in the 2016 election so we can prevent it from happening again in the 2020 election and after that and so one. i just hope that we can maintain the bipartisan unity co, the overwhelming unity that we had last week and denouncing anti-semitism and other forms of hatred, by saying, we need the truth about what happened. let's release the mueller report. i yield back. -- i do think mr. cohen and mr. collins for the great work. >> thank you, mr. chairman, i have a question for both mr. collins and mr. cohen. when i was studying up on this resolution, i was reading something from the past and why we have the regulations we do now on the special counsel.
8:46 pm
and it dates back to the clinton department of justice, led by janet reno and eric holder, they issued background information on the new regulation and specifically i'm not going to read the whole thing, but it basically says the principal source of the problem with the final report requirement is set forth in the independent counsel act is the fact that the report typically has been a public, unlike thebeli closing documentf any other criminal investigation. this single fact goes to provide incentive to over investigate in order to avoid public criticism for not having turned over every stone and create potential harm to individual privacy interest of those people who have not been prosecuted. so in the resolution, it says
8:47 pm
that everything has to be turned over for public release except which is prohibited by law. my question to both of you, i am trying to determine if expressly prohibited by law includes if somebody is listed in this report that has been found to have doned nothing wrong, will their name and information be released? [inaudible] >> i suspect that they would be released. and that he is supposed to give everybody who he indicts, which you he did wrong and we decided not to indict. so that if he would want to put out their names that they did nothing wrong. but i do think there is a distinction in it may be somewhere where you are leading
8:48 pm
to, that is the issue of somebody who is not indicted, not because they didn't do anything wrong, but because they are the president of the united states and the justice department a policy is not to indict a sitting president. that policy might haves g good t to release information when they are not the president and the reason they can be indicted is because the fact that they are the president. but the remedy of the founding bfather put out for a president who committed improper conduct was impeachment. if that is information that would lead certain to the congress to look at that, the congress would make that determination into the information otherwise it's a catch-22. >> i think the general lady raised a valid point. it goes back down she brought up a wonderful point, it goes back to the fiasco that was the starr
8:49 pm
report. i think the department of justice said we gotta figure out a way to to get to what was being investigated and what was being investigated in a proper and rightful manner. that's when we follow-up to the resolution and it restates that. i think it would protect that in goingatanar forward, what was pc conversations with the new attorney general in his confirmation hearings confirm that as well. that is why i believe this is simply a restatement of law, a nonbinding resolution that congress will not change. >> thank you both for your answers. i just thought -- i read it from the past and it was 1999 when it was obviously under the inclusion presidency of janet reno and eric holder and they both from what i read, it seemed like all these reports were released to the public and then they reprimanded -- it was just a summary, be given to the
8:50 pm
attorney general for two reasons, one was because they thought if every thing was released to the public they will be over investigation because the investigators would worry that they were going to be criticized if they didn't turn over every stone in the other it would identify people that were not indicted or didn't have -- which is not what happens in other court proceedings. i think it's a valid concern, so we will see what happens if you think attorney general bar will keep that in mind. >> thank you. >> i am pleased that there appears to be bipartisan support with complete release of the mueller report as soon as possible. i would hope that w going forwad there will also be prepurchase in support for the other oversight measures taken by sijudiciary in order to disappre or approve on many of the elements of the corruption that
8:51 pm
appears to bef surrounded the companion of the term campaign. [inaudible] >> the most independent investigators because the government is not doing the t investigating. i strongly support these bills. >> i just want to thank mr. colon's and mr. cohen for bringing us together in this manner. >> thank you mr. collins. >> i would just like to add one thing for clarification, we have only had one other special counsel, that was in waco.
8:52 pm
kim strahl was an independent counsel and it didn't come under the statute, it was a whole different set of procedures and rules. >> thank you for clarifying that. there are no further questions, you guys are free to go. thank you very much. any other member, no other questions. i want to thinker witnesses for being here, are there any other members who wish to testify on this? see none, this encloses the hearing portion of her meeting. the chair will be in receipt of a motion by mr. dishonesty. >> thank you, mr. chairman. i moved the committee grant h conrad's 24 expressing the sense of congress that the report special counsel mueller should
8:53 pm
be made available to the cut public and congress a close roll. the rule provides one-hour of debate equally divided and controlled by the chair in the ranking minority member on the judiciary, the rule waives all points of order against consideration of the concurrent resolution. the rule provides that the amendments to the resolution are printed in the rules committee report shall be considered as adopted in the concurrent resolution has amended shall be considered as read. the rule waives all points of order in the concurrent resolution as amended. section two provides that any legislative day during the period from march 15, 2019 through march 22, 2019, the journal of the proceedings of the previous day shall be considered as approved in the
8:54 pm
chair may at any time to clear the house adjourned to meet at a date and time to be announced for the chair in declaring an adjournment. section three of the rule provides that the speaker may appoint members to perform the duties of the chair for the duration of the period addressed by section two. >> thank you. we just heard from the gentleman of california. the rule provides consideration of h conrad's 24. a resolution expressing the state of congress should be made available to the public and congress under a cold underclothes rule.ble rill this clarifies that the resolution is calling for the release a special counsel's findings as was the case in previous releases or reports under the special counsel regulations. by adding the phrase including findings. so you heard thedede motion of e gentleman from california. is there any amendment or discussion? >> hearing none, all those in favor say i. >> i. >> all opposed say no mr. do dzhokhar tsarnaev will be carrying us with the majority.
8:55 pm
>> that is it. [inaudible]
8:56 pm
[inaudible]
8:57 pm
>> here's a look at the agenda for congress, the house begins a debate on the resolution supporting the disclosure of special counsel robert mueller's final report on russian interference in the u.s. election. the attorney general has this question on how the report is released. a final vote on the nonbinding resolution expected thursday. in the senate, executive nominations including naomi route to be a judge on the d.c. circuit. on thursday, senators vote on a house passed resolution to block president trumps deprivation and prevent unappropriated funds being used to construct a border wall. at least four republicans plan to vote in favor of the resolution meaning it is likely to pass if all democrats although still vote in favor. the president has said he will veto it. as always you can follow the house live on c-span in the senate live on c-span2.
8:58 pm
>> c-span's "washington journal" live every day with news and policy issues that impact you. coming up wednesday morning the washington examiner's committee leonard will join us to talk about president trump $4.72020 trillion budget request and the impact on health care policy. including medicaid and medicare. pennsylvania democratic congressman a member of the budget and ways and means committee discussed the budget and former vice president joe biden. tom wright will be on talking about the 2020 budget request. be sure to watch c-span "washington journal" live at seven eastern wednesday morning. join the discussion. >> we are live from london wednesday morning for prime minister question time in the british house of commons. prime minister theresa may is speaking to lawmakers one day
8:59 pm
after members rejected her latest bracket dale the uk for his scheduled for march 29. the questions are live starting at 8:00 a.m. eastern on here c-span2. >> cspan is on the road exploring the american story. this weekend with the help of her cable partners at media calm, we visit cedar rapids in east central iowa. >> grant wood painted american gothic in the studio and it's a piece that everybody knows and a lot of times people will know the artist in the title but it's an iconic piece. it's probably the most iconic piece of american art today. >> the iowa caucus haven't been great at selecting the next president. it seems that the caucus is really perhaps the highest function is whittling the field. we talk about tree tickets out of iowa. the top three finishers in the caucus can move

14 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on