Skip to main content

tv   Discussion on U.S.- Mexico Relations Under Biden Administration  CSPAN  February 5, 2021 10:02am-11:06am EST

10:02 am
emissions but it's important the emissions in the united states need to be addressed and minimize. otherwise soon there may be some challenges to find customers as they may look methane footprint in elegy. but in general you have to reduce emissions from coal and also have to reduce pollution in cities in asia. >> let me ask you since the iea was i understand creator to ensure the security of energy supplies, particularly oil, the united states best of the world's largest producer of crude oil and natural gas on balance as the emergence of the united states as a top oil and gas producer increase the stability and security of global energy markets. >> definitely yes. >> thank you, mr. chairman. >> we will be the last few minutes of this recorded event.
10:03 am
you can finish can finist at our website c-span.org. now to a discussion on the u.s.-mexico relationship with joe biden now in white house. this is hosted by the center for strategic and international studies. live coverage here on c-span2. >> -- in which i could continue to contribute to mexico's, to the bilateral relationship from other fora. and i also take opportunity to give more time to my family, the grandmother is great and it is always been great for everyone. but i think the pandemic has also made us that what is really important in life and how we should prioritize certain moments in your life. and there's now i think it's time to spend, to spend, it's
10:04 am
time to spend more time with my family. i'm happy with this but i'm sure that we will keep in touch, and not only with you, my dear friend, but with all the friends of mexico. >> let's start, ambassador, you joint the foreign service in 1979. he must've been ten years old when you started. >> twenty-one. >> but yet censored in various capacities, several ambassadorships. did you tell us a little bit about what prompted you to join the foreign service? whether a lot of women in the mexican foreign service in 1979? >> in my generation we were 50% women, 50% men. >> really? >> it was one of the first generation. it was equal number. what made me join the foreign service is i always had great
10:05 am
interest in international affairs and in history. but i was also a classical ballet dancer, and i wanted to become a dancer, a professional dancer. i was a professional dancer in a mexican national company, but then i started to have a lot of physical problems. so i thought that it was better to rely on my head and not on my head and on my body. so i finished university, and since i was a child, my grandfather used to take me and he would show me where the medical science, and he was a doctor of -- [inaudible] a great foreign minister of mexico come great director general of mexico. and he told me here yesterday to become a diplomat like my friend. i said, what is diplomat?
10:06 am
i was like eight years old. he said you represent your country and you do it well with intelligence. so that remained in my mind when i joined the university. there had been moments which was the women strike, so the calendar of the high schools were noncompatible. you had to wait like a year to go into the university. so i went to a private university in mexico, and they didn't have the career of international affairs, of international relations. but they had communication which i thought it was a very attractive career to study because you had a very broad number of issues that were addressed.
10:07 am
in that time it was more based on humanities and philosophy than on technical issues. and i started studying international communication, freedom of expression at international level, and you may remember the young people will not remember, but the was at those times a discussion of the new world economic order, and the nonaligned movement were also speaking about the new world information order. so i got into study all these matters, and in due time when the foreign ministry made a call for exams to join the mexican foreign service, then i decided to join and i passed exams. and i did that, sometimes taking leave of absence is to follow my
10:08 am
husband is also diplomatic, retired. it is been a great experience, and more than an experienced, the passion of my life to represent my country, to be able to establish communication bridges, communication, my communication studies never abandon me and i never abandoned them. so just keep a lot of attention on empathy, on feedback, an understanding on explaining your position well and that is been the passion of my life. i will continue to do it from other fora, but that's the story of what i joined the foreign service. >> ambassador, you are ambassador to denmark, turkey, georgia, azerbaijan, among other countries and also mexico's
10:09 am
ambassador to rome so you had a very storied career. >> yes. >> i want to pass over your time in these other countries but of what to stop for a minute as your time represented to mexico in the -- you learn when you were mexico's represent you were going to become mexico's ambassador to the united states would you please tell the story he told me at dinner that makes me laugh? >> yes. i was based in rome to the world food program which is a fantastic authorization. i asked my friend to represent of the vatican to please help me to have farewell appointment with pope francis. he organized that so i have met pope francis twice in afo but in
10:10 am
a big, you know, big groups. and so i had these private audience for minutes on a wednesday, and i say your holiness, i am coming to say goodbye and to seek your benediction, because i will be posted soon to a very challenging post. and he asked me, we were speaking in spanish. i'm going to even ambassador to the u.s. and it just started laughing. [laughing] that is a challenge. >> he said that's the challenge? >> he started laughing and said, well, you will have a huge task. we were talking for a while about immigration, migrants, you know, poverty.
10:11 am
at the end of the conversation he said, that you also have to pray for me. >> wow. >> we all need prayers. >> wow. >> it was a very moving conversation, which i have photographs of them. and i think it showed that pope francis understood quite well the challenge and the relevance of being the mexican ambassador to the u.s. because on a reflexive mode in the last weeks in talking to colleagues that they have asked me how did you manage, how did you proceed? mexico has become for the u.s. not a foreign policy issue more and more as a domestic problems. we are so integrated that come as i said, sometimes my main interlocutor was that the secretary of state or the state department, but always dhs.
10:12 am
>> wow. let's talk about that because i think, i don't think people, , unless you follow mexico closely, he would recognize how incredibly important mexico is to the american economy. could you say a couple of facts you on i both know but many other people in this audience will know but i think just for the record it's important to share? i think we can't see this enough. just some of the things you and i know about the economic relationship between mexico and the united states. it's quite critical to both of our country's. we have a shared future. >> it is absolutely critical. it's true that we have shared future, and i think that in mexico we've always acknowledged that the u.s. is key for us, the government. but sometimes in the u.s. there isn't that acknowledgment of the importance of mexico. but we are now either the first or the second trading partner of the u.s. >> hold on that for just a
10:13 am
second. i apologize for interrupting you. you have been for the first time in 400 years come sometimes in the last two years, the number one trading partner of the united states is mexico, not canada, not china, mexico. >> and so in 2019 our trade reached 614 billion u.s. dollars. >> enormous. >> enormous. much more than the gdp of many countries. and just to have an idea, we trade $1.2 million per minute. we trade $1.2 million per minute through the 57 ports of entry wildland. we trade 80% come all the trade takes place through land ports of entry, others through seaports of entry or air. and mexico is the first or
10:14 am
second market for 26 states for exports. and our main partner in these data is texas. we trade with texas $216 billion a year, which is really amazing. it's almost $800 million a day. and then our second partner is california with a trade of almost billion, 79 billion. our third trade partner is michigan. we trade with michigan 69 billion u.s. dollars, almost 70. >> michigan? >> michigan for number three. >> texas and california, but you put a gun to my head and say what's the third, i would've said arizona or florida. michigan?
10:15 am
>> we are more important for arizona's economy than for michigan, but -- >> in the global -- >> the global is michigan. just for you to understand, the trade of mexico with michigan is similar to the trade of the u.s. with brazil. >> my gosh. >> mexico trade with the u.s., an enormous amount, , but it's t only the trade, its integration of -- companies are going to have more done, 56, 70, 50, 60 0 suppliers in 26 states of mexico. the other day the president was saying a company identified, i remember which company, use company was, identified that they had 200 suppliers in mexico. >> wow.
10:16 am
>> so if mexico collapses, the u.s. economy collapses. if the u.s. chain collapses, mexico economy will almost disappeared. this is also with canada. i don't think many americans realize the importance of mexico in the view of -- >> north america, not just the united states as a matter of our economy. >> because i don't think you can't speak to about mexico's economy or u.s. economy or canada's economy without realizing that they cannot be independent. they are totally integrated. so it's a north american economy. >> i just want to hammer home two are the points. there are number of important and mexican company set invested in the united states. could you tell one or two stories about that? i don't think we think in those terms either. >> yes, i think the mexican
10:17 am
companies have invested recently in the u.s. for in u.s. dollars, and they give a lot of employment are very well known in some of them that are not so well may be. well, i note with the -- most americans will no identify by the new mission foods. >> oh, yes. it's a a largest producer of corn flour in the world. it's a global company and they produce of course for two years. they produce salsa, notches, everything. it's the largest corn flour producer in world. so it is geared for the agro food industry. they are based in dallas and they have come if my memory doesn't feel become more than 25 factories around the u.s. >> has a mexican company and they of u.s. operations are in
10:18 am
dallas. >> yes. the u.s. operations are in dallas. of course they are based in moderate in mexico. >> of course. >> they are in egypt. they are all around the world. >> so they are the saudi arabia of cornflower. >> you can call them that. tell me, give me another example of the mexican company investing in the united states creating jobs? whenever about this but there's tons of these come lots of examples. >> the fourth fourth-larn in the world. >> breadmaker. >> breadmaker. they bought about four years ago sara lee. >> really? >> yes. so it's a huge mexican company. i think it's the most important
10:19 am
in mexico, , also global compan. of the best logistics that you could imagine, and, of course, they are also more than 30 factories in the u.s. >> do they own twinkies? >> i don't think so because that is wonder but i would have to double check their famous and mexico. >> and also for the white bread that they do. >> yes, yes. so basically they are great but there are other companies that are smaller. for example, -- i'm sure you have never heard of them. i have like nine plants in the u.s. and what is what they do? they manufacture most of the aluminum cans for tunic, for beer, and there also a full
10:20 am
mexican company family own, not stock listed. so we can talk about this and, of course, you have some investments of the great tv networks in mexico, but another thing, that we're having more and more also, small and begin businessman, mexican businessmen that are established, or businesswomen, of course that are establishing themselves here. one of the areas of opportunity that we have for the future is this interaction of the mexican businessman and businesswoman, business persons, with the mexican american and hispanic business person to tackle specifically the very special hispanic market, which has several different tastes may be. you know, in food but also in
10:21 am
clothing, a music, in cultural industries producing together in spanish. this is something i want to announce that just yesterday we signed an agreement with the mexican company that is led by a great tv producer, to start, first we will make coal for young mexican-americans to write scripts for series to be produced about the mexican american community, about migration and be produced with -- this is something that we're just saying the beginning of a new era of interaction. because what we are seeing in the last years in the u.s. is total transformation and
10:22 am
empowerment of the hispanic community. and in that hispanic community mexican american community, , te mexican community is the largest. >> ambassador, let me push further. i want to come back to the changing demography because i think it's really important. let me push in one other thing. i understand that mexico makes more cars today than japan. is that true? >> yes. >> it's true that mexico is a very large auto manufacturer pgh yes. we are one of the largest automobile manufactures in mexico. >> mexico is one of the largest manufacturers in the world of cars, right? >> if my memory doesn't fail me we are like the sixth or fourth largest come between the fourth and the six largest manufacturer and exporter of cars. i wouldn't say, there's something i want to underline. i wouldn't say that mexico
10:23 am
manufactures cars. i would say they are north american cars. >> thank you, yes. there's a whole manufacturing supply chain, a north american supply chain. a a critical component of this north american supply chain of auto manufacturing is in mexico. similar to aviation you were talking about earlier. or the other supply -- >> one piece of a car sometimes crosses the border seven times. >> my word. >> before the car is finally assembled either in mexico or in canada and the u.s. if you go into in-depth analysis, for example, of tioga strategies for general motors, they have final assembly lines in mexico but in other models in canada and certain models in the u.s. so to speak about the u.s. auto
10:24 am
industry, the mexican auto industry or the canadian auto industry is not, it does reflect the reality. you have to speak about the north american auto industry. when we speak about the north american auto industry, we not only speak about the big three americans, general motors and ford and chrysler now with all the names, but we also are a global platform for global production for the cars, toyota, subaru, kia, volvo, mercedes-benz, bmw, audi, volkswagen. they are all present in the north american region, and so we have to speak about the north american auto industry and how integrated we are and how we are
10:25 am
a platform for export, not only for the north american market but for latin america, asia, africa. so if we really want to underline what is the future of the north american region, we have to study the integration of the auto industry and we have to work for the competitiveness of north america. >> this is a very important, thank you. related to that we just had, 80u could argue it's an update to nafta's but there was use in ca and one of the reason i said earlier a successful mission here in the united states, ambassador is that usmca got done in your watchmen people like our friend jim breyer who is senior advisor at csis, who played a key role in that and loves mexico, one of mexico's greatest friends and i know there are folks side people like my friend ambassador tony wayne was a former ambassador to mexico, played a key role and is
10:26 am
also a senior advisor at csis so could you talk a minute about usmca and this got done, there's still some loose ends to work out in terms of limitation but could you talk more about your hopes about this trade and what you think it opportunities are within north america? i would welcome that given the context of usmca. >> yes. i think usmca as you well underlined -- it took a lot of effort, and usmca is not only a free trade agreement if it's an investment agreement because in certain areas like the auto business at times the rules of origin. the tightening is more for investment and region. if you are a region, you have
10:27 am
cars fly with these new rules of origin that ask you to have higher regional content. it is technically -- it's long to explain but it implies to have these very high level of content or parts of vehicle but also i'm having certain kind of steel and aluminum, et cetera. but also usmca, it's a new template as speaker pelosi said in a way, new template for the trading agreements with the in the future. that includes labor, specifications, labor rights -- bless you, salute. it includes standards and it includes a branch of new chapters that were not included in nafta, like digital trade,
10:28 am
like mechanisms to incorporate too small and medium enterprises, like how to take into a opinion of indigenous communities, gender issues, cultural industries. so i think we are, the three countries, we're learning and will enter a new stage now with the new ustr which by the way was very much involved in all the ratification process of usmca so she knows usmca by heart. he will enter this new state of implementations of finishing with all nostalgic of the committee's and processes that are contemplated in usmca, and to show to the world that this kind of new templates for trade and be the model and that we can progress. and it is our responsibility of the u.s.-mexico and canada to
10:29 am
prove that this is a way of going forward. different estimates from different, you know, companies or people who concentrate on analysis, trade analysis would think that trade can go quite a lot. and then we have huge challenge which is to improve our infrastructure and logistics, both in canada/u.s. border and mexico-u.s. border. but we can go and talk about that on how are you going to bring more investment -- >> to the north american region. >> to be contended, ambassador, let me press on this because there's a little -- maybe it's not so -- there's a kind of perception among or a perception among business committee that president amlo is not seen as pro-business. >> yes.
10:30 am
>> and there's a hope that the biden-harris administration, along with the business community, both in mexico and the united states may be all of north america will convince president amlo to move any more pro-business direction. could you react to that perception? what is your reaction to that? >> i think that it's not a very accurate perception. i think that the perception that present lópez obrador is not open, or not favorable to the private sector is not, it doesn't exactly portray what he thinks. and because most of the criticism having concentrated on the decisions or the position of energy issues, and you have to remember that our energy system in mexico and in the u.s. have been different for many, many,
10:31 am
many years. so the u.s. energy sector was always private. the mexican sector after 1938 was a national energy sector, and then the electricity in 1954 or a little bit later. so then we slowly started to open up to more private business participation in the energy sector, which was totally closed. in that opening up to the private sector i think we did many things right, and some others maybe not so right. i say this because i was the mexican ambassador to norway in the last energy reform was adopted in mexico, which was basically based on the norwegian model. and i say basically because we did not follow the regional
10:32 am
model in key issues that patient. patient. so we open up -- more efficient. in that opening at some decisions were taken very fast and we didn't have sometimes the orderly development that we won. what president lópez obrador want is to bring back some order to the energy sector so that both are viable companies for the future. >> tell us what that is. >> sorry? >> csd. >> csd. i think the main question here in csd is that it seems that we have an imbalance of how much electricity we produce with distribution grid.
10:33 am
so sometimes mexico as a whole we can produce a lot of electricity from different sources but we don't have sometimes the distribution grid that we need to properly distribute that energy throughout the country. and in that process, the perception in mexico of cse is hydroelectric plant of cse at a basically concentrated in the southern part of mexico were not used at full capacity. because if they were used to full capacity, if they were used at full capacity, then there will be an excess of electricity coming from hydropower plants -- the region which is a a larget wind power area of mexico and so
10:34 am
what they're trying to do is to give priority to the hydropower plants. i think that this low initiative that president lópez obrador has just submitted to congress, it will be broadly discussed. that is been announced, and that i hope in that discussion and debate we will find some may be point of agreement for the future. having said that, in energy sector we have differences and we need to explain better what is the position of president amlo's government. i would say other areas mexico is totally open for private investment. i was just yesterday with him and they were telling me the expansions that having in juárez
10:35 am
for export. they tripled the capacity to produce in 95 respirators in mexico from 700,000 to almost 2 million in the last year. so other private sector investments are thriving in mexico. so we should not confuse the differences and discussions that we are having on the energy sector with general opposition of the mexican government against the private sector. because that's not true. we are open for private investment, for private sector. and it's true that we have perceptions or approaches on the energy sector. >> ambassador, something else i have noticed. there's a term in american beauty called trump derangement syndrome, you know, maybe it's true, maybe it's not. i think there's a form of amlo derangement syndrome among many of my elite friends in mexico.
10:36 am
they have almost this irrational reaction to president amlo. my view is he's the president of mexico for the next four years. i don't want to ask you to psychologically explained that but could you just, i sense that across come every time i have, it's striking to me the negative animus. would you be willing to react to that? >> yes. it's also striking to me because, you know, when i hear also a lot of people told me all, you know, the communication with the trump administration be impossible, very difficult. well, we had differences but it was not impossible and it was not difficult. we had people at state department that helped a lot, jared kushner at the white house, national security council at the white house in general,
10:37 am
and i mean, we disagreed many times with dhs. i could tell anecdotes about my almost monthly meetings with them and they would make fun of me because the other day one of my friends in dhs saying they knew that when i said, let me explain to you, that they said oh, here comes mexican ambassador to tell us we are wrong on many issues. but the communication was possible, and i think it is the same with president lópez obrador here i have known president lópez obrador for years and i know that he listens and i know that you can't talk to him -- you can talk to them, you can explain to them. it's just that may be there is been a lack of proper channels of communication at the levels of the government and interaction. and one of these, this
10:38 am
challenge, is because in certain areas there is a misunderstanding of how important is to talk to the private sector and to engage to the private sector. because some of the officials in mexico, they have never been officials before and they are afraid that if they engage in a conversation with the private sector that they be accused of wielding to the interest of the private sector and not acting for the public benefit point of view. so i think it has to be understood by both sides that when you engage in in a conversation in a dialogue regarding certain issues they can be delicate, neither the private sector can expect that the officials would change their mentality or their mind or their point of the jews because the
10:39 am
private sector asks. and the private sector, i mean, the public sector officials would have to understand that engaging with the private sector does it mean that they are being corrupt, but they have to find points in common. maybe we will need a little bit of diplomacy inside mexico for that. >> i think see if i is this available to -- something along those lines. we would love to the mexican government and the american and the north american private sector engage, and so that something in the back of my mind. so i think someone needs to play that role and we are available for that, ambassador. >> we have to think of that because i would assume that it is very important to the misconceptions about the mexican government and president lópez obrador position to work private investment which is open.
10:40 am
>> ambassador, i have talked about migration yet and i know it's a sensitive topic but i would just say i worry that a migration crisis at our border between mexico and the united states is going to swap out our crowd out of other important issues to quit a very fruitful discussion about this, so many other important issues we have in our relationship as part of the north american economy. what this is going to swap our relations and, of course, ambassador, i don't have to tell you this that most of the folks crossing the border are not from mexico. they are from central america in a lot of instances or from other places. mexico has net migration. you know this and i know this, since 2005 there been there been more mexicans going back to mexico and mexicans coming to the united states. one of the reasons, you know this, when the country hits $8000 per capita which mexico didn't 2005, because it performed its economy over a
10:41 am
decade and opened its economy -- reformed -- and it's out and industrial, global industrial player as you described, people don't want to migrate. people want to stay where they are and mexico is well below $8000 per capita per capita. it's a of the oecd, the club of wealthy market democracies. having said all that, what the heck are we going to do if there's a border crisis? how do we jointly challenge,, manage the issue of migration together? >> first i don't think there will be a border crisis. i think it could be if we don't take the appropriate measures. why could be a more border crisis? because we see a situation in central america that needs to be addressed urgently. there are two tracks are two different aspects in central america now.
10:42 am
the traditional problems that we also share some of our central american brothers, which is lack of opportunities for young people. they become prey of organized crime or they have to migrate. we have to enhance the level of opportunities, and this is a long-term view of addressing the root causes of migration through investment. private sector investment but also look sector in logistics, in education, but this is long-term. but we have a more urgent need and short-term crisis, which is a result of the two hurricanes of last year. and if in central america you already had a crisis of lack of opportunities, of continuous drought, you remember the dry corridor of central america. 60% of the the migrants from honduras came from the rural
10:43 am
area because they lost their coffee. some plantations. and then with hurricanes. we have to act with a short and medium-term attitude for urgent a and not a just giving away but using the tools that are already there. for example, do you know the most successful cash transfer system, it's in honduras. they run the cash basis transfer system. >> i didn't know that. >> it's as simple as the u.s. saying part of the money that i allocate to the wsb or money to the wsb has to be channeled through the cash-based transfer system and honduras so that people stay in honduras. they will build their community. this is the kind of urgent assistance that we have to work together.
10:44 am
and then of course we have to find a way a dealing humanely with the families that are migrating. and i think that the idea of giving a great importance to family reunification in the migratory system would be key. because what you have to open is also legal pass for people to come to the u.s. one path that has been for success with mexico and can be with central americans is h-2a visas for agriculture, is to increase may be the ceiling of h-2b pieces, the ceiling is very low, it's almost like 70,000 a year. use industries like the crab industry in maryland almost going bankrupt because they are h-2b. they cannot use h-2a visas and they do not have workers. there are certain tweaks that
10:45 am
can be done in the short and medium term that will diminish the pressure very much. you know, family unification, h-2a visas, elevating, increasing the count for h2a visas. an emergency a in programs that are already there, , that you're not going to create programs that use what you have. and then that will help you to control the short and medium term pressure and keep your long-term attitude of addressing the work crisis of migration which is an area of total coincidence between president lópez obrador and the biden-harris administration. they are totally convergent on that priority. >> let me just put something on the table. i put out an article a couple of years ago saying we ought to
10:46 am
repurpose the north american development bank which was set up after nafta to broaden its remit to include the mexican southern border and perhaps the three countries of the northern triangle. i'm not asking you for official policy on that but what is your reaction to that, ambassador barcena? >> we stated that during the negotiations during usmca, and -- we studied -- we thought it was necessary to repurpose that. it is easier said than done because you have to change the origin. >> is a a something we can won together when you retire. >> this is that easy. second is the border communities when they listen to this they were very worried because, and they are i write right bey say we have so many needs to
10:47 am
comply with the current purpose of nafta on water sanitation, logistics, that we would need to increase the resources almost by three or four times to be able to cover the needs of the border, the northern border of mexico, the southern border of the u.s., and to go -- >> out of area. >> out of area. but i would be even more cautious than you are. for the borders we would need to think of the bank that takes care of the poorest regions in the three countries of north america, in a way similar to the civilization funds of the european union. because it's true that there is i need a huge investment in
10:48 am
certain areas of canada and the u.s., and in areas of mexico. and maybe if you analyze not nationally and regionally and locally, you will find something in certain areas. this is a this is a dret ten, 15 years. it will level the playing field for everyone. >> ambassador, i i want to mae sure i get, the some very interesting questions that a been sent to us. one is about there's a woman from amnesty international has asked about how did you like a gender perspective in your time as ambassador? i understand is, and this is my words not hers, texaco has a feminist foreign policy. what is, what is that and how come you're a female and abbasid to talk a little bit about gender foreign policy and what's it like having been the first
10:49 am
mexican ambassador to happen to be a woman? >> yes. i think i applied the gender perspective in very practical ways. one of the practical ways is a look at the heads of section at the embassy and see, well, we have more men than women. let's see if we can promote some of the women so we have a more balanced, you know, a more balanced x-ray of the heads of section at the embassy. second, i will ask, for example, my congress section two particularly concentrate on getting the interviews with women senators and with congresswomen. so i could engage with them. because of covid came, we couldn't do something that i was talking with debbie dingell
10:50 am
particularly. it was to get together the women ambassadors in washington with congresswomen to see if we could find points of coincidence, and also the congresswomen with mexico, specifically come and see which areas we could advance. so i established a very good relationship i would say with several congresswomen that are really close to my heart now, like escobar, like -- i like her so much. and debbie dingell. i don't know, that was a very practical way of doing it in with senator cortez masto, senator kyrsten sinema, with former senator mcsally. and that was -- joni ernst. i really enjoy claire mccaskill. i really told my conversations
10:51 am
with the women politicians. because they were always very constructive. they were always very constructive, and that was another area that i worked very hard. then we were also working, the issue basically with a network of consulate in the u.s. and my consulates in washington with domestic violence. i made a specific point of engaging on this issue with women leaders of the mexican community in the region of maryland, virginia, west virginia. because with covid, domestic violence went up, and this is something that really worries us, and we were working with the foreign ministry and the network of consulates and to focus on these matters. when i went to visit some of my
10:52 am
consulates, of the consulates of mexico that are fortunately because of covid i could not visit them all, one of my priorities was to meet with the leaders of the mexican community, and particularly with female leaders are young female leaders. if you see the agenda of my trips i always met with them. i listen to them and domestic violence was one issue. the second was, it was something very psychological. how do we educate our children to make them proud of the mexican origin and to make them proud to be immigrants and not be despised for being immigrants? or for not mastering english at the beginning. so we worked a lot on encouraging to be bilingual, on success stories for children. so save this is a success
10:53 am
migrant, this is a successful mexican. that issue which is very psychological hurts the mothers very much. how do i make sure that my son or my daughter are not ashamed of being migrants or mexicans? that they are proud of being migrants and mexicans? that is why i've been saying during the whole of my tenure here that mexicans have been the past and the present and are the future of the u.s. >> that's true. thank you, ambassador. that's amazing. i have another question from the chat. i'm going to use my words this is about them is a perception mexico that president amlo was close to president trump. is this a challenge for president amlo having a good relationship with president
10:54 am
biden? >> i wouldn't would tha challenge. i think yes, president amlo managed to build a relationship with president trump. president trump respected president amlo very much. he thought that amlo was a strong leader and that he respected a strong leader. and i think president amlo understood the psychology of president trump well, and they interacted well. my personal opinion and i been talking about this with my present a couple of times, is that he and president biden shared many common issues. you know, both reached the presidency after several attempts, and a long political career. they are both committed to issues that are dear to them,
10:55 am
like addressing inequality, like addressing discrimination, like giving opportunities and taking care of the most vulnerable. i think president biden knows mexico better than many other presidents of the u.s. before. i am certain that when in due time, the pandemic and everything allows it, if president biden goes to mexico, either to the border in which we have common challenges, or to see the thousands of mexico, tabasco, and see how we can push for the development of the southeast of mexico, we can pull the whole central america with us, he will understand much more about mexico and he will engage
10:56 am
with president lópez obrador here so i am optimistic, and they don't think the good relationship that president loper did -- president lópez obrador managed to have with will be -- with president amlo, with president biden. on the contrary. it shows that president lópez obrador particularly on a person-to-person basis can be very engaging, very impassioned, and really it's a pleasure to talk with them on one-on-one. >> so another question that is, very interesting is about there's been a recent asia wide trade agreement unfortunately, unfortunately sort of a follow-on to tpp, the united states and the trump administration holdout of the tpp. so a china led asian pacific agreement called rcdp was put
10:57 am
together in its stead. what does it mean for mexico? >> i don't think of the latest agreement as put instead of tpp. that agreement is still there. we are following very closely all the statements that the biden administration have been saying about -- sang the would consider it rejoin it some changes are done to it. we don't know what changes so may be in the future it will be fine. but we don't see necessarily us as something that raised by itself the new agreement. i think they could be complementary and i think the u.s. government will send us more clear signals in the near future on how are they going to
10:58 am
approach economic relationship with asian general and china in particular. mexico continues to be a part of the agreement of the continue to work very hard with them in with pacific alliance you remember colleagues, countries from peru, colombia, chile and we are progressing on that. but on the trade arena, dan, we have huge it into in the future. you asked how we manage to not integrate harmonize with the new usmca, had we harmonize our work with the pacific alliance with requisites of usmca. how do we deal with ccp d.c. how is this agreement going to work. we're also in the process of going through the process of the new agreement of mexico with
10:59 am
european union that also have a huge impact on the automobile sector. look. my last question for you, ambassador, is we have an incoming mexican ambassador to the united states. >> yes. >> the united states will name a new ambassador to mexico. so could you just give a little bit of advice to both of those new people? i believe we know who the new mexican ambassador is that his income. we don't know the next u.s. ambassador is to mexico. just use generic terms some parting thought chef for both of those people. >> i am in touch with the incoming ambassador almost on a daily basis. i know him since we were very young. we were like 15 15 and 17 soe know each other well. he's a very professional and talented politician, and so i've been providing him with all the
11:00 am
information that he requested, and more. my main advice to him would be engage engage engage. don't sit only at the desk and read. engage with people. engage with congress. engage with think tanks. engage with the community. that is key to understand to learn better how to process different challenge that you have ahead, and particularly when there's a new congress. i know in covid-19 times that is difficult but you have to do it. and engage with all the different departments of the u.s. government. engage with governors. engage with mayors. ..
11:01 am
>> and two former, future or not a former but to a future u.s. ambassador to mexico of course also engagement is important and always important. mastering these issues but i would say be very attentive to mexican activity and sensitivity regularly on what we think our the limits for nonintervention. try not to speak publicly about internal politics in mexico and try to be very careful and try to be constructive and not confrontational and that will
11:02 am
help. maybe i am too naïve but i think that will help into both ambassadors i would say as soon as covid allows you travel through the country. not being a mexico city ambassador and not being a washington ambassador but being the ambassador of mexico for the u.s. and ambassador of the u.s. to mexico. >> ambassador, thank you so much. congratulations on your service and as i said it is not goodbye but see you next week. i look forward to a fluid and ongoing dialogue with you. cis is so grateful for your partnership and i want to just thank you for your public service and we are grateful for your friendship and your collegiality that you have shown us. thank you, ambassador. >> thank you. i am thankful. i think we have identified three or four issues that we can work
11:03 am
on in the future and i just want to take the opportunity of these platforms to think, from the bottom of my heart to all the friends of mexico and to all the people that have engaged in the us-mexico relationship in the north american relationship that at the end we ambassadors come and go. it is you that has been working for years in the bilateral relationship and it is the mexicans that are the real ambassadors of both countries. and so, thank you and continue that good work. >> thank you, ambassador. i will be in touch. thanks and stay healthy. in the meantime, congratulations on your birth of your second grandchild. >> thank you. i'm delighted. thank you. >> thank you. >> republican representative marjorie taylor greene held a news conference after the house voted to remove her from her committee assignments. live coverage begins today at
11:04 am
11:00 a.m. on c-span2. >> host: always happy to welcome back to the washington journal about barbara lee, member of the house democratic leadership and a member of the appropriations and budget committee and your first appearance congresswoman on this program was way back in 2003 when you came on to talk about the progressive agenda. i wonder in 2021 what is the progressive agenda today? >> guest: sure, i think it is an agenda that really speaks to the aspirations of the american people. thank you for having meir on again. when you look at one of reducing and eliminating poverty, when you look at income inequality and racial justice. when you initiate the fights for $15 minimum wage because people are living on the edge and the progressive agenda has included for years now raising the
11:05 am
minimum wage so people can really sustain their families and move forward in terms of the economic security. for me the 15-dollar an hour a minimum wage we've got to move a living wage. we've always supported making sure that global peace and security was the same to making sure that we reduce the defense spending to wear as we ensure our national security and take care of our troops but with more resources. >> on capitol hill we are live where georgia freshman congresswoman marjorie taylor green will be holding a briefing the day after being stripped of her committee assignment by the full house. live coverage on c-span2. >> is this on? oh, it's recording. thank you for letting me know first off, thank you all for coming out here today and being wi

15 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on