Skip to main content

tv   New Hampshire Senate Debate  CSPAN  October 24, 2014 8:00pm-9:01pm EDT

8:00 pm
100 debates, and you can instantly share your reactions. the battle for the control of congress read the stay in touch and engaged by following us on twitter and liking us on facebook. tonight on c-span, campaign 2014 debates for control of congress. first, candidates in the new hampshire senate race. and then, oregon. that is followed by two house races. >> in the new hampshire senate race, the incumbent democrat is up against republican scott brown. rothenberg report says that the race leans democrat, while they cook report calls a tossup. here are some of the campaign ads in new hampshire.
8:01 pm
>> i am jeanne shaheen and i approve this message. he says that he is pro-choice, but way too often, that is not how he votes. he sponsored a bill to deny coverage for birth control. to forceshed for a law women considering abortion to look at color photographs of developing fetuses. no wonder anti-choice groups in massachusetts endorsed scott brown. >> you may have seen that senator shaheen is running an ad calling into question my support of women's health care read i want you to know the facts. i am pro-choice, support continued funding for planned parenthood, and believe in access to countryside of. after six years of voting with president obama, shane has resorted to a smear campaign. she knows better, and the people of new hampshire deserve better.
8:02 pm
i am scott brown, and i approve this message. the big oil companies are the most profitable on the planet, brown of voted to give them 20 billion in taxpayer subsidies. big oil gave him thousands of dollars within days of the vote. and now, big oil is spending millions to get him back to washington. >> scott brown is in it for scott brown, nobody else. >> oh, hey. i know that you're thinking another ad, but hear me out. senator jeanne shaheen says that she put you first, but she votes for a -- votes with obama 99% of the time. obamacare? come on. we have to put up with obama for
8:03 pm
two more years, but we can fire jeanne shaheen right now. >> the candidates in the senate race met in concord for their first debate. this comes courtesy of the new england cable news. a special decision 2014 debate, live from the concord center. vying for the u.s. senate seats, democratic senator seeking reelection jeanne shaheen, and republican scott brown. tonight's panelists, allison scala.dante
8:04 pm
>> good evening from concord new hampshire. we have a one-hour hour debate on domestic and international issues. 230ill be divided into minute segments. you will get questions for myself, the panel, and the candidates will also ask each a question. we have a great crowd with us well promised not to be an active participant in the debate, but active listeners. we'll give them one more chance ofget all the noise out their system as we introduce the two candidates, jeanne shaheen and scott brown. [applause]
8:05 pm
now we are into debate time, as we know, there is not a lot of baseball being followed in new england. let's get to the news of the day. the department of homeland security is requiring that all travelers from the three west african countries that are dealing with ebola will have enhance greening -- enhanced screening. scott supported a travel ban, jeanne shaheen, you opened the door to supporting one. is the policy of the obama administration enough? >> no, it is not. a couple of weeks ago, the president said that we will not have issues and we will stamp it out. we have had one person die and two others infected. the problem is that we need to have a travel ban, absolutely.
8:06 pm
that means that everybody leaving or coming into those countries needs to stop and it cannot get here read that being said, the problem is that the president has given an incoherent policy. on the one hand, he said that it will not come here and then it has. the direction from the cdc has been confusing as well. so i did call for a travel ban and i am glad that he president and senator shaheen are coming forward and moving forward in this regard. the time is now, not six months from now. >> you change your mind on this. why? >> ebola is a serious threat. it is a new disease and it is serious. i think we need to look at taking every action necessary to keep people safe, including a travel ban, if we can figure out that the actually improves the situation. it reminds me of when i was governor after september 11 and there was the threat of anthrax and other bioterrorism.
8:07 pm
i brought together officials in the state to come together with protocols for how to respond with emergency response plans, and we are seeing some of those plans, the early warning system in the hospital emergency room, are still in place. we do need protocols, we saw changes in that today from the cdc. we need to make other people can get access to equipment and training and provide resources that local public health officials and state officials need in order to address the threat. >> let me ask you this, what is a bigger threat to new hampshire, the flu or ebola? >> that depends on who you are speaking with red when i traveled, people are concerned about two things. our border, ebola, the travel and people coming into our country without proper authority and carrying diseases and being terrorists or criminal elements. it depends on who you talk with. actually want to continue on what senator shaheen said.
8:08 pm
she did the right thing as governor and address those issues, she came up with protocol and a plan. the problem is that the president has not come up with a coherent when. in fact, he appointed a man who has no experience in this area whatsoever. it is a political appointment, and quite frankly, i do not think it helps at all, especially since he has not been to the meetings. we are in an emergency situation right now. i am thankful that senator shaheen has broken from obama. >> same question. >> we know that more people have died each year from the flu than we have seen from the threat from ebola to date. the fact is, this is a serious disease. people are concerned about it because it is new. we have seen it at a dallas hospital and the cdc made a mistake. we need to address this disease, make sure that the public has as much information as possible. we need to work together. we do not need are people who are fear mongering, spreading
8:09 pm
panic in the public. because this is serious. we need to work together. i have been disappointed that my opponent has been raising concerns without talking about what we can do together in a bipartisan way to address this issue. ?> may i i am not fear mongering, and our hero something relevant and important to people here in new hampshire and throughout the country and the world. there has been no coherent policy from the president, and i called for a travel ban immediately. i did not do anything inappropriate. others have joined in, and i am thankful that the senator from the president to join me. thatnator shaheen, imagine you are a home or in your new hampshire citizen hat, and you get a call from a pollster question --ollowing do you approve of the job president obama is doing? it will be a chance to follow
8:10 pm
up, but this is a yes or no answer. do you approve, yes or no. >> in some ways i approve, on some things i do not approve. most questions that we deal with as policy, there are not simple answers. >> the mid put it this way. you have said that you are the candidate for the citizens of new hampshire. scott brown often says that you vote with obama 99% of the time. because his approval ratings are at no time low in new hampshire right now, 38 to 40%, how does your voting record jibe with serving the citizens of new hampshire? >> i work for new hampshire. scott brown talks a lot about , but the numbers that i am proudest of are the 359 -- 259 people who are now working at the prison because i was able to get the prison opened after
8:11 pm
it was empty for two years. the people who are being foreclosed upon in their homes who are office worked with to keep in their homes. the 100 100 and 9000 veterans who cannot get care close to home because of the legislation that we got into the veterans reform bill. what we need is a senator who is going to work from new hampshire -- four new hampshire, to address the concerns that we hear from our constituents, to work with democrats and republicans and independents. anyone in washington who can help us get the job done for the state. >> she just described me, because i was the most bipartisan senator in the united states senate. every survey has come out has shown her being one of the most partisan senators. she has voted with the president over 99% of the time. what does that mean to the people in new hampshire russian mark it means was a deciding
8:12 pm
vote for obamacare. she voted against giving our hospitals and doctors and care facilities that people trusted and loved. as a result costs are going up. care and coverage is going down. she has voted to put in place a system where we have more and more gridlock by voting with her party over 99% of the time. that is part of the problem. so right now. we need to have an end to that gridlock. >> senator brown, you help propel you to the u.s. senate, tens of thousands of residents are now eligible for health insurance under the state 's medicaid expansion plan. you have said you wanted to repeal the law. how did you tell these people they no longer have health insurance. >> you are assuming obamacare is the only answer. with respect, it is not. we have the ability to develop a plan that addresses those concerns for us. for example, we can address what you reference, pre-existing care, covering kids to a certain age.
8:13 pm
dealing with catastrophic care and coverage, all sorts of things. we can develop a plan that works for us. senator shaheen put forth a bill which she did not read. had she read it, she would've understood that three quarters of a trillion dollars of cuts come from senior medicare. she would've understood the art medical device companies are being crushed as a result of this. when you're talking that health care, i want everyone to have health care. i supported bill that did just that. it worked for that state. we can do the same thing here. we have great leaders watching and listening and we can do it in our own way that respects our rights and freedoms, addresses competition. when she was in charge as the governor she change the law. -- changed the law. we lost our insurance companies. we only have one. >> the fact is we have 100,000 people now who are getting access to health care because of the affordable care act here.
8:14 pm
i believe people in new hampshire should have access to affordable, quality health care. and if you listen to what scott brown is proposing, he would kick tens of thousands of people in new hampshire off of health insurance without any plan to replace it. i don't think people want to go back to a time where if you had a pre-existing condition you lost, you couldn't get health insurance. where if you had a chronic disease, and you've reached your lifetime or your annual limits you got kicked off of your health care. if you are 26 years old you couldn't stay on your parent's plan. we don't want to go back to a time where health insurance the -- could determine what people got. >> senator brown, are you misleading the public by sort of perpetuating this repeal idea? nobody seems to be serious about repeal option. >> i think that is false. plenty of people want to repeal
8:15 pm
it. if you speak to the people of new hampshire, which i have been doing, holding open town halls you can go to north country , tractor, one of the reasons they are not hiring is because of obama care and the penalties. you look at a mom like my mom who worked one job when she could 50, 60 hours. she can't do that anymore. they are keeping it under 30 hours. to think i don't want people to have access to health care. ist has not been referenced the business mandate coming after the election. they're getting notices right now. karen coverages have gone down. and -- care and coverages have gone down. and it is real. >> is repeal a priority? >> i voted five times to repeal it. senator shaheen voted a deciding vote to implement it. >> senator shaheen? i hear democrats say they want to fix parts of obama care. what is a fixed bill you would like to introduce?
8:16 pm
>> well, like any other major issue health care is something we have to continue to address as we implement it. this has been a major change. one of the things that i have proposed is an independent ceo committee that would oversee the health care website. because we saw issues with the rollout. again, if you listen to my opponent and me, this is a fundamental difference. because i believe people in new hampshire should be able to get access to health care. if you listen to what he is proposing he would throw tens of thousands of people in new hampshire off of their health care without any plan to repeal it. he wants to throw people off. and he says, oh yeah, we can get a plan than to repeal it. i don't think most people want to go back to a time when they didn't have health care. >> is this a proud accomplishment for you? >> absolutely. i think making sure almost 100,000 people in new hampshire have access to health care is real progress for people. in the state.
8:17 pm
>> i want to move -- we will have more health care. dante has the next question. shaheen, you support new hampshire's new medical marijuana law. the federal government has a role in the nation's drug laws as well. it classifies marijuana as the most dangerous type of drug. my question is, should that continue? should the federal government continue to classify marijuana the same way as it does heroin or should it treat marijuana like alcohol? >> i do support the medical marijuana law. and we're seeing some states who have allowed marijuana for recreational purposes. i'm not ready to go there yet. i think we need more studies on what the impact of marijuana would be. but i do think there is a role for the federal government and -- in education, and training, and to provide treatment. you know, we have a real epidemic in new hampshire and new england. addiction to heroin starts with
8:18 pm
prescription drug addition. we need to address that. i don't think we need another drug coming in that will take our attention off the need to address both treatment for heroin addiction and making sure that law enforcement have the resources that they need, it is one of the things i have worked on after talking to police chiefs around the state. we held three roundtables and we worked to get the resources they need to address the issue. >> really quickly, are you for reclassifying it? >> no. ityou want to keep classified as schedule one? >> yes. >> thank you for your question. i have similar beliefs to senator shaheen on this. medicinal purposes, in the event that somebody has a disease they have tried everything, and it just doesn't work, there should be an fda approved to have the ability to get treatment. i'm not in favor of what is happening in colorado.
8:19 pm
and other states. i am not in favor of changing the classification. i have worked and will continue to work to address the other concerns we have had with with heroin and some of the drug use we have seen around the country. it is real. i have worked on it when i have had the opportunity and want to have the opportunity to do it again. >> i want to turn to international issues. senator brown, you have suggested isis could come through the u.s. border. you have said it is "the most obvious pathway for terrorist to enter the country." what is the evidence? >> with respect, i did not say that. what i have said is isis is real. what is isis? it is the al qaeda of iraq. that was the poor sister of terrorist groups, and we had an opportunity to keep a transition
8:20 pm
force in iraq as we did in japan and germany. we wrote a bipartisan letter to the administration said please leave a transition force there. senator shaheen did not sign that letter. she chose to stand with president obama. and immediately draw the forces out. when you talk about how people coming to the united states, we have evidence and we know that we have people coming to the border illegally. is there a possibility it has been raised? there are people coming through the border, what are their intentions? i am not sure, but they have made it clear they want to plant the flag in the white house. so what is our goal? our goal is to make sure that does not happen. the clearest way is to make sure we close the border. i voted to secure the border. on a couple of occasions. and to send troops to the border. senator shaheen has stood with president obama and has not done that. it israel, we need to address that. -- it is real, we need to address that. >> do we think you should have left a force in iraq? >> i think that is revisionist history. i think the threat from isis is real.
8:21 pm
i think we should address that by building an international coalition that includes not only our allies but arab states. but i don't support sending tens of thousands of troops back into iraq as an occupying force. the fact is the agreement to withdraw our troops was negotiated by george w. bush when we couldn't get an agreement in iraq for the protections for our troops. there was an agreement to withdraw them. so i don't think we should send them back as an occupying force. as my opponent has suggested. we do need to address the threat of isis. you know this is another issue , where we need serious people working together in a way that is going to address this threat. not fear mongering and raising claims that it will bring down the country. >> let me go to the issue of combat troops. do you think the president should have taken them off the table? you think that combat troops should be sent to syria and iraq? >> to correct the record, i've
8:22 pm
never suggested we should send combat troops but i questioned senator shaheen. >> so you are against combat troops? >> i am answering your question. >> sorry. >> what i have suggested is the president and senator shaheen have taken that off the table. immediately. we have the greatest fighting force in the world and we have taken it off the table. general dempsey may come back with a recommendation that we may need ground troops. we have advisers on the ground right now. we have close combat choppers in the air right now. isis is not taking anything off the table. my question to the president and senator shaheen has been what happens if airstrikes don't work? then what? what if they are getting bigger and bigger and exporting terrorism around the world? what is isis? they are bank robbers. they have robbed banks. they have gained more equipment. and their goal is to plant a flag in the white house. we are on notice and we need to make sure we do something about
8:23 pm
it. >> would you be open to doing it if general dempsey is saying it? if the airstrike campaign is not working? >> i'm not going to speculate. >> should it be an option? >> the fact is general dempsey , has said we do not a to do that now. we need to support the iraqis. they have 200,000 people in the iraqi army. we should support the kurd fighters, they are doing a good job. but i don't think we want to do is send back an occupying force of tens of thousands of americans. and again my opponent has , suggested when he was being thatviewed by laura kelly we should be thinking about that. in terms of the troops that we have had in korea. we've had troops in korea for 60 years. i don't think we want to send troops back in the middle east to do that. we want to continue the airstrikes. want to address the financing. we want to go after their recruitment. that is the way to address isis at this point. >> i'm going to stay on this
8:24 pm
topic a minute here. the arab spring, democracy first, now there is revisionist. stability first, even if it means supporting regimes that are not the most democratic. what should be the foreign-policy priority? stability or democracy? because the democracy led to an ally we didn't like, a group of people getting elected that people of united states in -- didn't like. >> there are different views by different people. let's take syria. for example. we knew it was a terrible regime. we actually said we were point -- going to draw a redline if they did something. a mere going to do something. we did nothing. that sent a powerful message to our allies. our allies do not trust us, our foes do not spirit -- fear our respect us. -- or respect us rid the president's foreign-policy, when
8:25 pm
it comes to isis and are issues has been incoherent, it has been confusing. senator shaheen is part of the committee that has endorsed those policies. it needs to be a balanced approach. we need to make a determination based on the facts on the ground. we need to move forward with a clear and coherent policy. and that is the problem. you look at what is happening in afghanistan. what are we going to do? are we going to do what we did in iraq? we had an opportunity. you talk about revisionist history, it was president obama who pulled those troops outcome who did not want to do a status of forces agreement. as of that void we have isis. >> senator stability or , democracy? which should reprioritize as part of our american foreign-policy? >> as part of our american foreign-policy we should be supporting democracy in other countries. obviously in some cases when you support democracy it doesn't always turn out the way you want. but my opponent talks about syria and drawing the redline. i'm one of 10 people who voted to take action in searing -- syria because i thought when we drew a redline on those chemical weapons we needed to address
8:26 pm
that. i think as we look at what is happening in syria and iraq, what we need to do is encourage the iraqis to try and form a more inclusive government. that includes the sunnis. that is one of the challenges that we are facing. and the more that they do that, the better they are going to take on isis. >> do you think the president blinked? he should have done airstrikes? on the chemical weapons? >> i think when america draws the line in the sand it's important for us to follow through on that. as i say, i was one of 10 who voted to do that because i thought it was important. and i think now, as the result of that action, fortunately isis does not have access to those chemical weapons. in syria. >> where are you on this? should the president have acted? >> of course he should've acted.
8:27 pm
he missed an opportunity because we knew who we were supporting then. has morphed into something different. we don't know who we are providing support with. that should've happen a long time ago. revisionist history, it was an opportunity to leave that transition forced to advise them as to how they should form their government. the president pulled out and the senator endorsed that policy. it's a failed foreign policy that makes it so our allies do not trust us and our foes do not fear us. we have to establish trust. the best way to do that is to change direction. >> i want to move to immigration, a topic you have debated heatedly. senator shaheen, is there any part of the senate bill, and i know it is a compromise, specifically on the idea of hv-1 visas, do you think it is pro-worker enough when it comes
8:28 pm
to importing more guestworkers? >> you know we have a broken , immigration system. and we need to address that in a comprehensive way. that means we need to address the visa system. it is not working for the tourism industry here, for our farming industry, for high tech companies here. the bill that we passed starts first with addressing security at the border. it increases the number of border agents. it provides additional resources for interdiction and put in place a e-verify system so people can make sure that employers can make sure the people they are hiring are actually legal here. i think this is the approach we should be taking. it is comprehensive and has been disappointing to hear my opponent doesn't support this comprehensive immigration reform bill. it passed the senate with a strong bipartisan vote. i think we should urge the house
8:29 pm
to take up the bill and pass it. >> i have a different approach to immigration. we need to secure the border. it is not being secured. that bell, i fell and others felt and others felt created incentives during that , period of coming out to have them step out of the shadows. i can't provide benefits for people who have broken our laws. that is where i differ. that is what it is like to be an independent set -- senator, you can actually differ with your party, i do it often. i was the most bipartisan senator. i'm not going to rubberstamp a policy or a bill i don't think works. we look at that bill it immediately gives an opportunity for the president to authorize up to 11 million people to get jobs. i want to fight for jobs for people in new hampshire.
8:30 pm
here's another thing about immigration. i voted to secure the border. on two occasions. i voted to send troops to the border. we need to absolutely secure the border. the president, to expand the definition of a refugee or someone who is here to work, i can't support that. >> define a secure border. what is this metric? i hear this a lot. what is the metric. tell the public what the metric is that you will say the border is secure. >> you know it secure when people don't come across it. [laughter] [applause] listen, if you think the border is secure folks, it is not. the border is not secure. you can do it through fences, through walls, through surveillance, through troops.
8:31 pm
through border security. there is a whole list of ways to take care of our border. i have voted to secure the border. we have to make sure that happens first. the president and his policy, right now on immigration, his effort right now is to expand and give status for people who were not entitled to it. i can't support that. >> what is the metric? how do you decide? that the public will believe. >> the senate bill puts in place strong measures to secure the border. and if you really want to secure the border my opponent would support that bill. if the house takes it up. it is going to add fencing, border agents, and the pieces of legislation where he talks about that we differ, one of those is -- was legislation that would have been a killer bill on immigration reform. even the republicans who supported it didn't vote for it. on the other, we have already sent over 1200 national guard troops to the border.
8:32 pm
this is a red herring. if you really want to secure the border, then we should take up immigration reform. we should fix a broken system. and what scott brown has done is to grandstand on this issue. of thee former chairman republican party says he is grandstanding, trying to make political hay from border security. >> it is time for a break. we will take our one break here. coming up next, guess what? these two get to question each other. if that's not a reason to stay tuned i don't know what is. we will be right back. [applause] >> welcome back to a decision 2014 debate. the candidates, scott brown and jeanne shaheen. >>
8:33 pm
and welcome back. -- as i promised you before the break, you don't get to hear from me asking questions. it is now for the candidates. senator shaheen gets to ask senator brown a question. >> senator, i think one of the problems is we encourage companies to outsource our jobs. we provide tax credits for companies that ship jobs overseas. when you are in the senate, you voted to reward those company to ship jobs overseas. here in new hampshire, we have the highest percentage of jobs that have been shipped to china. in the country. why in the world would you support outsourcing overseas? >> thank for your question, senator. i have never voted to outsource jobs.
8:34 pm
interesting, -- it is interesting, when you're talking about outsourcing jobs, the only person on the stage who has done that is senator shaheen when she was the governor, she took a program for food stamps and outsourced it to india. it was an opportunity to keep good paying jobs in our state and she chose not to do that. that being said, i think outsourcing has a lot of different meanings. when you actually were elected, you said you would be an independent senator. and you outsource the independence by voting with the president over 99% of the time. in addition to that, there's been many opportunities for you to fight for the people of new hampshire. you've also -- you signed onto a letter with the united nations outsourcing our second amendment rights to a group that should have no control whatsoever over our second amendment rights to carry and bear arms. so when we're talking about outsourcing, senator, we have to also look at the challenges facing businesses right now. and those businesses challenges are real.
8:35 pm
>> time is up. -- now you're question for senator shaheen. >> thank you. senator, you've gone around the state touting your business record. that you're fighting for small businesses. and businesses are having a lot of difficulties with obamacare, the high cost of energy, and many other challengings. the national federation of i -- independent business is a group that represents 1500 businesses in our state. and they grade people on what they've done for businesses not only in the legislative session but also over their career. now, you have a zero rating with that group. and you have a lifetime f rating with that group. you also have an f rating with the chamber of commerce. how do you, and what can you say to those businesses where you've actually voted against them in this legislative session 100% of the time, how do you explain that to them? >> now, i'm very proud of my small business record. i sit on the small business committee. the national federation of independent businesses is
8:36 pm
another koch brothers funded organization. [applause] the fact is i have worked hard to support our small businesses, as i did when i helped draft the small business jobs act. to help small businesses with exporting and access to tax credits. i voted for it. my opponent voted against it. i supported something called the american jobs act that would invest in infrastructure here, create almost 2,000 jobs, cut taxes for 30,000 american businesses. i voted for it, my opponent voted against it. i supported the travel promotion act to help our tourism industry. i voted for it, my opponent voted against it. we need somebody who is going to support our small businesses here in new hampshire. that is what i have done. >> thank you both for that, for giving us a break here and asking questions. >> senator shaheen, there are concerns around this long-term solvency of the social security program, so what is one solution
8:37 pm
that you propose to ensure those newest to the work force can count on social security when they retire? >> social security has not added to our deficit. it's -- we have borrowed from the social security trust fund. it has been the most successful program to help our seniors stay out of poverty. i think we need to support social security. i don't think we should privatize it, as my opponent has suggested he's open to. i also don't think we should change the way we figure a cost of living increase for social security recipients. my opponent has said he applauded the president when he came forward with a proposal to do that. i don't think we should pay this debt off on the backs of our seniors by reducing social security. >> senator brown, 45 second. >> thank you. not only social security is at issue, but obviously medicare as
8:38 pm
well. we have a situation right now where anybody who is getting social security or medicare, they're going to continue to get it and anyone who is about to get it is going to continue to get it. so that commercial of granny being pushed off the cliff, that's a false premise. but we have to be real and when we talk about how we're going to make it viable for our kid and our grandkids, because right now i don't believe the present path is sustainable. when you look at social security, the key is to make sure we have a bipartisan effort that the president will be involved in and sign. and when it comes to medicare, senator shaheen and president obama took three quarters of a trillion dollars from our seniors' medicare to help pay for obamacare. something i never would have done. if you talk to our seniors right now, they are having real problems. >> all right. let me ask you about this on social security. one of the easy funding gaps that people talk about is basically raising the payroll tax, there's this donut hole in there.
8:39 pm
do you think that is a step one in creating lengthier solvency, which is simply to raise the cap on wealthier americans and how much they contribute to social security? senator and then senator brown. >> there are a number of ways to address the issue of social security. what i've suggested is that we do what we did when president reagan was in office and appoint a bipartisan commission to address this. but i want to go back to scott brown's suggestion that we've taken three quarters of a million dollars out of medicare. that's been shown to be false by a number of inorganizations. -- independent organizations. the fact is that our passage of the affordable care act has actually lengthened the life of medicare by 13 years, and it's stablized the cost of health care, which is now flat for the first time in 50 years. so we need to continue to address social security and medicare, make sure that it's there for future generations, that's what i want to do.
8:40 pm
>> back to this payroll tax proposal that's out there. >> i don't disagree with the senator. i believe we should have the ability to have everyone at the table to come up and make proposals, that's not happening. but to immediately say we are going to raise taxes, the federal government has enough of our money, that's the problem with the president, he wants more, senator shaheen has endorsed those policies. but let's talk about medicare, she says independent fact checkers. the fact checkers i check with are the seniors that are being dramatically affected by it. our moms and dads and grandparents in these rehab facilities and long-term end of life facilities, they're getting crushed by the cuts. the reimbursements for the doctors, they are being lowered every time. medicare advantage right now, some people are losing it, their rates are going up. this is all a result of what senator shaheen did when she was the deciding vote on obamacare. >> let me ask you both. you both up the commission. what's wrong with the united states senate as a bipartisan commission, why do we have to outsource social security outside of the elect officials?
8:41 pm
-- elected officials? >> i'm talking about having a committee, as we have done. >> the reagan era, both of you mentioned the reagan era one was outside folks. so 30 seconds for each of you. >> let me stand corrected. i think we should be doing within the senate. the problem with the senate is it doesn't function right now. you have a leader in harry reed who has upward of 400 bills on his desk that he won't get -- it's gridlocked. because you have senator shaheen and others who vote with their party 99% of the time. i was the most bipartisan senator there. what does that mean? it means we did the insider trading bill, the hire a hero bill. a veterans job bill. you can you get things done, but you have to step back from party politics and partisanship. >> senator shaheen, this idea of an outside commission? seems like the hardest decisions. >> congress should be able to do this. it should be a bipartisan effort within congress. but one of the problems we've got is that we've had gridlock because the rules of the senate allow people to filibuster. and scott brown when he was in
8:42 pm
the senate, voted for 44 filibusters during his three years in the senate. that's more filibusters than we had in the whole country between 1917 and 1968, over 50 years. we can't afford that kind of gridlock, and that's why it's been difficult to get things done. so we do need to work together, that's what i support, and that's what i try to do. >> alison king has the next question for senator brown. >> senator brown, you say you are pro-choice. but you cosponsored the blunt amendment that lets employers deny contraception to employees, and you opposed the use of federal fund for aabortions. -- for abortions. for those motivated to vote on these types of issues, why should they vote for you and not for senator shaheen? >> thank you for that question. i have a always been pro-choice, i and him -- i am an independent row choice -- pro-choice republican. when it comes to the women's
8:43 pm
right to choose i've always supported that right. the ability for equipment to get contraception, i have supported that as well. i do support and have always felt it appropriate to have a conscience exemption to allow people of faith to practice their faith. with regard to our differences, yes, i am against partial birth abortion. i believe that parents should play a role in their child's decision making process. but, it's not -- when i'm out and about in new hampshire talking to women voters, they are obviously concerned about those issues, but they are also concerned about jobs. and they are also concerned about the ability to bring their kids to school. they are also concerned about our border security. they're not just one issue, they're not one-issue people. so we're taking our message to women voters on a whole host of issues. >> senator shaheen? you have 45. >> i believe and i trust women to make their own reproductive health care decisions. [applause] not just part of the time, but all of the time. and the fact is scott brown not only supported but he sponsored
8:44 pm
the blunt amendment, it said that employers could deny access to contraceptive care for their employees for any more reason. -- any moral reason. he supported the supreme court's decision in hobby lobby. when he ran in 2010 and 2012, mass antichoice groups endorsed him, they said he voted with them 80% of the time in 2012. now, i agree, we've got a lot of issues that women and their families are concerned about. one of those is equal pay for equal work. i think women should be paid equally for what they do. my opponent, when he had the opportunity in the senate voted twice against allowing equal pay for equal work. i think again, there's a , fundamental difference between scott brown and me in terms of what we think women should be able to do. i trust women to make their own decisions. >> i'll give you each 15 second. >> thank you. i'm glad the senator brought up equal pay. senator ayotte and i voted against that bill because it was a bad bill. there are already mechanisms in place to protect women in the
8:45 pm
event of workplace discrimination. and i actually do not just leave it, i actually employ it. for example, in my office, i paid women 1.21 to every dollar that a man made. senator shaheen pays 95 cents for every dollar that a man makes. so i not only believe it, i live it. >> senator shaheen, you want to respond to that? [applause] >> again i think the issue is , who do you trust to make decisions about their own reproductive health. i trust women 100% of the time. i think they should be able to make those decisions with their families, with their physicians. and scott brown when he had the chance voted against that when it came to appointing a new justice to the supreme court who was pro-choice, he was opposed to elaina kagan. when it came to supporting the freedom of choice act which would have cod filed roe v.wade
8:46 pm
-- codified roe v wade in 2010, he opposed that. so there's a fundamental difference on this. >> senator shaheen, winter is coming. and -- [laughter] >> that is not a reference to the tv show. [laughter] >> regardless of who is elected, electricity bills are about to sky rocket for many new hampshire homeowners. what's the best way to ensure affordable electricity rates for state residents? >> you know, energy is a very important issue for us here in new england. when i was governor i worked to lower electric rates. we did by about 16%. it's why i worked in the senate to come up with an energy efficiency strategy with rob portman, republican from ohio. because i believe we've got to support new energy technologies, alternative sources of energy. i don't think we're ever going to get off oil in my lifetime, but we've got to start investing in those new energy technologist.
8:47 pm
-- technologies. that's what helps our businesses here in new hampshire. businesses like sustain ex which is working on a new energy storage which would help with us with wind and solar. my opponent has supported fossil fuels 100% of the time when he was in washington. he voted for subsidies to the oil companies over $20 billion a year to the oil companies, not once but twice. i think that's just the wrong direction for us here in new hampshire, where we're seeing our oil prices go up. we need to provide options for small businesses, for families in new hampshire. >> senator brown, 45. >> i'm glad we're talking about energy. as you know, many people have received their length trying notices, they're going up 50 to -- 50% to 100% right now, as a result of the efforts not only of president obama but senator shaheen to curtail not only our development of oil, natural gas, she's against nuclear, she's against -- >> no i'm not. [laughter] w\here did you get that?
8:48 pm
>> senator -- if i may have a couple extra seconds? >> go ahead. >> senator, when the seabrook nuclear power plant was, in effect you may an effort to stop it. >> no, i didn't. >> senator, with respect, you did. >> i was not in office at the time. [laughter] [applause] brown, finish up. >> this is about supply and demand. right now we have a tremendous amount of demand and we do not have enough supply. the policies being put forth right now by the administration, senator shaheen has not only voted to increase taxes on our energy producers at a time when we need more energy, but she's voted to pave the way for a new national energy tax, at a time right now when rates are going up sky high. she also said when she was elected that she would make every effort to lower rates. they have not been lowered. so we have a very real problem with energy. right now obamacare, the business mandate coming in after the election, energy rates, sky rocketing.
8:49 pm
i met with a young lady, four jobs to pay for her increased bill. is she supposed to get a fifth job? >> senator shaheen? >> let me just be clear. independent fact checkers have said that his charge that i want to raise energy taxes is just false. and the fact is america is producing more oil today than we have in our entire history. but what we need is to stop subsidizing the oil companies, because it's not making a difference in terms much our -- terms of our prices. it's $20 billion a year. we should be taking some of that money and putting it in alternative sources of energy and new energy technologies in ways that are going to actually help us here in new england. that's what i did as governor. i started retrofitting state buildings to make them more energy efficient and now tax payers are saving between 2 and $4 million a year plus thousands of pounds of pollution. >> you seem to want to get into it. >> wind, solar nuclear, coal,
8:50 pm
citing, permitting, allowing people to be part of the process. when she's says she's not in favor of a national energy tax, that's just false. >> that's right, it is false. >> it false because you in fact voted to pave the way for a national energy tax. sent her a white house amendment to set up a fund to spend the money from the tax. only in washington does that make any sense, that kind of double talk. of course they're going to actually create a fund and of course they're going to spend money. >> how do you deal with carbon. first of all, climate change, man made? >> it's a combination approach, man made and natural. the question is how do we deal with it? >> it's man made, it's from burning fossil fuels. >> so do you believe you have to tax carbon at some point? >> i believe we need to come up with an energy strategy in this country that focuses on energy efficiency, that focuses on alternatives, and new energy technologies, and that's what i've supported. i don't think we should continue to subsidize the oil companies, as my opponent would do. >> do you think we'll have to
8:51 pm
put a tax on carbon? >> she's already supported a cap and trade scheme, i'm not in favor of it. >> do think the will ever do it russian mark >> -- it question mark >> i'm not going to talk about whether we're going to do something in the future. we need to deal with these issues right now. >> oil companies are budgeting for it. should they be? >> senator shaheen voted for a national energy tax -- >> that's just wrong. >> paving the way for national energy tax, if i could finish. she's also supported taxing our energy producers. senator ray yot and i, and other democrats, voted against the very bill that she's criticizing me for. we have to step back from our dependence of foreign oil. we can't continue to pay money to countries that want to hurt and kill us. and i have supported production tax credits for wind. [applause] i have supported production tax credit for wind, do i support solar. but we have to find a way right now to step back from our dependence of foreign oil and actually make sure the energy, especially electricity in our
8:52 pm
state does not continue to go up. >> senator, 15 seconds to support. >> that's why we need to support other options. for our small businesses, it's good for them in new hampshire where we have a budding energy sector and the fact is what scott brown has is an only oil all the time strategy. not an all of the above strategy. we need different options. >> all right. moving to the lightning round, less than 30 second to these questions, i promise you they're worded in a way that it should only take that. first bill, harry reid comes to you, senator shaheen and says you get to introduce the first bill on january, 2015, what is it? >> it's to allow students to refinance their student loans. [applause] >> senator brown. >> mitch mcconnell or who ever the leader is, he tells you you get to introduce the first bill. what is it? >> to do a budget. any budget they've done is on the backs of veterans. [applause] the last budget they did was on the backs veterans. -- backs of veterans senator
8:53 pm
shaheen supported that. i would never have done. that >> is mitch mcconnell, senator brown, is much mcconnell the -- mitch mcconnell the best republican to be the republican leader? >> if i'm honored to elected i'm going to make sure we find out who the best person is. >> right now do you think he is z? >> i don't have any -- >> did you serve under him? >> i thought he did a good job under trying circumstances. absolutely. >> is harry reid the best democrat to lead the democrats? senator shaheen? >> i'm not sure who our choice will be. >> do you think there should be a choice? >> i do. >> you would like to see somebody -- who is an ideal senate democratic lead are if it's not harry reid? >> i'm not going to speculate on who. but i think it's important for us to have a contest in these positions because we need to think about how we're doing business in the senate. >> is there another republican you'd like to see other than mcconnell? >> listen harry reid is the , problem and we have to get rid of him because he's holding everything up. [applause] it can be anybody except harry
8:54 pm
reid. >> let me ask you both this. you both have lost races for the u.s. senate, you in massachusetts, you in 2002. what was the biggest lesson you took away from it, senator shaheen? >> that sometimes there are factors beyond your control. and there are things happening in the country that affect a race, and i think we're seeing this now in this race, we're seeing a lot of concern about what's happening in the world. we're seeing my opponent who has been grand standing on isis, on the border, on ebola. i think what we need is responsible officials who are going to try to address the problems that we face, who are going to work together. were going to be serious about solutions. -- who are going to be serious about solutions. >> biggest lesson? >> that i love hi wife more than ever, because she was there as well as my daughters, and my entire family is here tonight, and that life does go on and that defeat is only temporary.
8:55 pm
>> let me ask you both, you had two chances to run for the u.s. senate in massachusetts, in 2013 and 2014. why not take those? >> because i live here. i mean, i live here. i live here, i was born at the portsmouth naval shipyard. my mom is a waitress at hampton beach. [laughter] >> so you never thought about running for the u.s. senate -- >> if i could answer without interruption. because i live here, number one. my family is here, my mom is a waitress at hampton beach, my dad was an airman at pease air force base. they met, they fell in love, they had me. my first three years of life were in portsmouth. on islington street. i a son of the american am revolution out of newington. so i'm running because i care about new hampshire and care about restoring america, that's why i'm running. >> senator shaheen, you were born in missouri, you chose to live here. anything wrong with what senator brown did? >> you know, senator brown when he lost his race he didn't move to new hampshire and say i want to get involved in the state. he thought about running for the senate again in massachusetts,
8:56 pm
then he thought about running for governor in massachusetts, then he went out to iowa and said he was thinking about running for president. well i don't think new hampshire , is a consolation prize. i think we need a senator -- [applause] we need a senator who is going to put new hampshire first, who is going to get up every day, talking to people here, working for people here, doing what's best for our small businesses and middle class families. >> believe it or not, an hour flies by, it's time for closing statements. so senator brown, you get the first closing statement. >> thank you very much, and thank you everybody for participating. i like senator shaheen, i respect her record. and everyone here in new hampshire was excited when she got elected and said she was going to be the independent voice for new hampshire. unfortunately when she went to washington she changed. she's voting with the president 99% of the time and that's not good for new hampshire. the president said a couple weeks ago that he's not up for re-election, but every one of his policies is on the ballot. i agree with him. these are turbulent times.
8:57 pm
we have issues on the border we , have a health care system that's broken, we have energy costs sky rocketing we have so many issues facing our country and the world, it time for new direction. it is time to send an independent leader to the united states senate and right now we don't have that. so i'm asking for your vote on november 4. i'm asking to help go and send us in a different direction, an independent leadership direction. thank you. [applause] >> senator shaheen. >> thank you to our sponsors and to all of you for tuning in. this election is about what kind of future do we want for new hampshire. are we going to support our middle class families and small businesses in a way that allows them to have a fair shot at success? that's what i want to do. that's what i've done as governor and the united states senate. helping young people with the cost of college. helping families who are struggling with the cost of child care. trying to make sure that women get equal pay for equal work.
8:58 pm
what we don't need is someone who is going to go to washington and support the corporate special interests to be a rubber stamp for the oil companies and their subsidies, to bank, wall for banks wall -- , street and bank give aways, for outsourcing american jobs. this is a real choice that we have, i think we need to continue to support the people of new hampshire getting up every day, putting new hampshire first is what i've done. it's been the great honor of my life to serve this state. i hope you will give me the opportunity to do that for another six years. i ask for your vote. thank you all very much. [applause] >> i want to thank both the candidates, i want to thank the crowd. i think being a political candidate in the age of 2014 is among the hardest jobs there is in our government these days, actually running for office. so thank you both for running for office and for participating
8:59 pm
in this debate, because -- i want to thank the panel. everybody can cheer for that. [applause] battle, --hank the panel, alison king, necn partnered with the university of new hampshire and the concord monitor, we appreciate that. don't forget participate in this , democracy, go vote. don't get turned off, don't let cynicism get the best of you. politics is a good thing when it's practiced well. thank you and good night. [applause] [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2014] [captioning
9:00 pm
>> on the next washington journal, a look at campaign 2014 in the political fight for control of congress with politico's campaigns and elections editor stephen shepherd. in a discussion about young voters and the midterm elections. college republican national committee chair alex smith and the president of the young democrats of america at him omara.ow -- atima on c-span. >> this weekend on the c-span networks. saturday night at 10:00, the women of color and power conference. and filmmaker and daughter of robert f kennedy on their latest

43 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on