Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  January 29, 2016 10:00pm-12:01am EST

10:00 pm
legislators in the office today, about two thirds of all republican legislators have endorsed jeb bush over marco. that is because they have seen firsthand jeb bush's record. [applause] mr. bush: yes, sir. i thought you were going to talk about environmental policy, but that is ok, too. [laughter] mr. bush: we are learning this in the debates. [laughter] >> i am a newlywed. mr. bush:4 congratulations -- mr. bush: congratulations. just got out of school, college, that is, and right now we are struggling to be able to pay back, obviously, the school loans and the american dream to own a house. if you get elected, when you get elected, what will you do to help in my situation, you know, to pay off the student loan and
10:01 pm
to be able to afford the house? mr. bush: how big is the student loans? combine, near $80,000, $90,000 with interest. 9%? mr. bush: this is one of the tragedies, this is part of the legacy of obamacare, the nationalization of the student happened with obamacare. it has doubled in size. $1.2 trillion in debt. $1.2 trillion. this is debt that has to be paid off before you can make your car loans or anything else or pay off your credit card and it is a burden on young people in particular because it is extraordinary. a week ago, i outlined a student loan program to move forward because i don't think it is a proper place for the government to act. if it is the private market, that is fine.
10:02 pm
that ended the student loan program and replacing it with an income or payment plan for everybody who graduate from college could get a $50,000 line of credit and if they borrow it fora degree but also certificates, you could get a certification that you are, you know, that you can work on and you immediately get a job as an information technologist. if you want a certificate to become a welder, i guarantee you , you will get a job like that. below,re jobs that are you know, they can't get a job. a psychology degree is a fine degree, but there aren't any openings for psychologists. most of the time you have to get , indenting yourself more. so these other options where there are apprenticeships and other things are empowering
10:03 pm
people and you pay it back 1% per $10,000 of money borrowed. it is not alone. , the sickly, the government is investigating -- investing in your future. perwould pay it back 1% $10,000 borrowed right out of your tax return. any of thoset crazy forms, no complex bureaucracy. this would force universities to lower their prices rather than to raise their prices. -- they faring and seen are financing those higher costs on you. who said that was a great idea. -- great idea? 7%, 8% inows at 6%, most states, and inflation is growing at 2%. their lack ofng
10:04 pm
accountability on the backs of people who were trying to get an education. total there should be transparency on the degree that you are pursuing before you start. to open ups need classrooms more and professors need to teach more. a four-year degree ought to be completed in a years, for crying out loud. call it a six-year degree and be honest or call it a four year degree and be real. that is the third and final part of it. there ought to be skin in the game. if you can't get a job for the degree that you were expecting, and it cost you $67,000 as a couple, some of that money ought to be held back, universities ought to pay it back to the students who pay this money. they should have skin in the game. that would lower the tuition costs. you know how i know this? in florida, the students with
10:05 pm
the lowest in-state tuition was florida. you could go to florida at fsu and not pay tuition at all as we thought that was a value of importance. our lottery money goes to what we call the bright future scholarship program. people invest over the long haul to give their children and their grandchildren a chance to go to college. now we have accountability in our higher education. they have to compete for the dollars that the state provides. if they don't can there completion rates up, they don't get the money. guess what? degree completion rates go up. that's how life works, right? this has to be at the first .riority i get that question in every orn hall meeting about two three times and it is a disgrace that we have allowed our government to run just wild on this at the expense of students.
10:06 pm
anybody back there? excuse me. yes, you are back there, that works. how would you say you are most similar to your father and mother who many of us voted for? how are you similar to them and how are you most different from them? well, i am much better looking than my brother. [laughter] mr. bush: i mean, come on. note? -- no? my dad, i will tell you what, comparing, when i was in my mid-20's, i married my wife when i was 17 in mexico and it was love at first sight in my life andbe divided between bc ac, before columba and after columba, i was much better after
10:07 pm
columba. she is my is ration. the other inspiration in my life has been my dad. he is 91. he is near perfect in my mind. how do i compare myself to the person i consider my hero and the greatest man alive? i mean, i am going to get emotional about this. that is not possible. [applause] mean,sh: thankfully, i how do i compare myself to a guy who joined the navy and was the youngest navy pilot in world war ii history? he was shot down in the pacific and barely escaped being picked garrison in the pacific islands and had he been picked up, he would have been in a work camp where the commander of that camp was executed for war crimes for cannibalism. with prisoners. experiences are so full, so rich, so big.
10:08 pm
when i was in my 20's, normally you have a father that you just idolize with all of the successes and he never cursed or never raised a hand to me and i just thought, normally just try to be like your father, you know? if i could just be like him, i figured, if i could just be like half of him. was a perfect decision in my part because that lower expectation a lead me to live my life. my life is different. i married a girl from mexico. i moved to florida away from texas. we started having children when we were young. i lived in venezuela. life, a very different different than my brother or my life experiences. i am not say they're better, but they are different. more --re disciplined disciplined, more focused, i would probably say i'm a little bit more cerebral.
10:09 pm
neither be on that, but i love policies, i love ideas. i look like my mother, he looks like his dad. i don't know what else. george's fortitude and the fact that he went against popular will to create a surge along with an extraordinary group of men and women in uniform that left iraq. made alongmistakes the way but they left iraq in a secure place, fragile yet secure and that was because of his dogged determination to finish what was started and i admire that as well. like having a front row seat by watching them work. the final thing i would say is that 2017 is going to be a lot different than 1989. adam talked about the age of reagan and i was thinking about you adam, you are one --
10:10 pm
were one. [laughter] mr. bush: speaking about that, the context is always different, but we can always learn from the lessons of history and we can always learn from those successes. my best lessons for me have been where i didn't have it work, where i didn't succeed, or i had to dust myself off, isn't that how life works for you all? if you have lived a life where you work through trial and dean, being active and engaged, there are a lot of times where you can challenge yourself along the way, and i think you want a president who has a little adversity in their life as well. a fuller and deeper understanding of how people are challenged today. i think i am your guy in that regard. i don't know if it is different --i amsame, but i am jeb
10:11 pm
point bush!ion [laughter] [applause] >> what makes you best prepared anotherplish having bush in the white house? mr. bush: say again? >> what makes you best equipped a couple is having another bush in the white house? i believe in having someone who is thoroughly vetted. circumstance, i can promise you everything that i have done has been vetted. everything. state,overnor of a big but back to the bush thing, you know, a lot of things that you would try to hurt my dad is to expose something i have done. i have been thoroughly vetted. i have been entirely open.
10:12 pm
i have given out 30,000 e-mails in my time from governor about my work. mails.com and jebe you can see them all there. i wrote a book called "reply all." that is all about my e-mails are in my governor years. think about hillary clinton. you have to get a subpoena to find her e-mails. whatever you find, you'll find. i have a tax rate out there. i think it is at 10 or something, i don't know. i have a thorough record of accomplishment, and campaigning with hopeful, optimistic messages with your arms wide open. we are never going to win as conservatives if we are the reactionary party. firmve a message that is and resolute and also encourages people to join our team. last night at the debate, it was
10:13 pm
interesting, there was the view to full girl on youtube, i don't know if you saw it at the debate, they showed it on youtube, and they have all of these business makers, and this woman served in the military and she is now a fashion designer i think. on youtube. it is an extraordinary business. she was basically saying, "can i join you?" basically saying it to the woman who was muslim. --ically saying, mi wanted? wanted? and i said, yeah, you are wanted. all of god's children to be honor team. we are not going to exclude anybody. of hope andis one optimism and i think that is how you win. talk about early
10:14 pm
childhood education and how it is important and she has the endorsement of the teachers union and they will be trotted out and basically she will want to expand government run four-year-old programs. i have done something different. in florida, 80% of all four-year-olds are in literacy programs, 90% of which are in churches and synagogues and private settings and we benchmark it at half a day rather than a full day. it is effective and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. our learning gains are the highest in four-year-olds or fourth-graders in the country, a state with 57% of our students, four-year-old, who qualify for free or reduced lunch. basically they are at the poverty level -- lunch. thecally they are at poverty level. i won't lecture hillary or anybody on the left regarding mobility or that they
10:15 pm
need to be dependent on government. i can take it to her because i 4.4%a proven record of income growth each and every year i was governor. they will talk about it and they will do it but i have done it. and by the way -- [applause] if you think that the back-and-forth in this primary campaign is tough, huh! first of all, i have been around a lot of campaigns and it is beanbags so far. the clinton hit machine, once they get going, i hope you get someone who is thoroughly vetted and thoroughly scrutinized because we cannot afford to lose this election. whoever our nominee is, they will come after them with a
10:16 pm
vengeance. there is no hope and optimism in the clinton message, i can promise you that. in their debate, she said the nra and the drug companies, the standard thing, but she said, "you know what? the real enemy i have are republicans." this isn't mourning in america here, this is going to be her , bam,ng back, bam, bam and it will get ugly really quick. >> [indiscernible] mr. bush: the what? illegals? >> [indiscernible] mr. bush: well, if you are talking about the refugees, i don't think we should allow the refugees in until the fbi director can make a clean assertion that the vetting process would reflect the new
10:17 pm
reality of these new refugee who areions going to europe are professing jihad against america. they should not he allowed to come in. now having said that, the main way to deal with this threat is to take out isis in the caliphate. we can't play defense and we can't close down our country. ultimately, for also for this to need tossful, we destroy isis in this caliphate the size of indiana. their existence is a victory for them because it allows them to recruit. in the last year, in 17 countries, there have been 70 attacks outside of the caliphate. these were either isis-inspired or isis-controlled. europe, it will grow in africa, it will grow in asia, and it will grow here, as we saw in san bernardino.
10:18 pm
other forces with more sophisticated equipment and to reestablish the partnership with the sunni tribal leaders that will ultimately create the stability once isis is gone. fighters get the war and the lawyers off of the war fighters backs. refugees will be able to stay there so we can build this army financed by the arab world and partnered with europe. this is to take out isis at its core. this is how you take this problem and deal with it and be serious about it. yes, sir? >> [indiscernible] no i don't., if you want to guess, the best part of the strategy is what i can describe. the muslims who will be the strongest allies, sorry, we want you to fight this fight, but you can't come to our country to talk about it, or the
10:19 pm
indonesians, the largest muslims areof not in the middle east, it is in indonesia. you are sending a signal that the united states is retreating in the world. it is not muslims who are the problem, it is the radical jihadists who are the problem. we have to distinct between the two or we are going to create more jihadists. we are going to push muslims away when we need them to be a part of this. the united states cannot be isolationist in the world. in fact, we can lead it, but we need to have muslims fighting this fight in syria and in iraq. we can't do this in a extension -- can't do this in absentia. that means we have to defend the homeland better and all of the things that we need to do that are important, that we need to engage in the world. we can't just pull back and hope that that will work.
10:20 pm
big cough,- i have a and it is really hard in my voice, so i've been speaking louder than i need to. that should be better. yes? >> [indiscernible] so the gridlock in washington, it is interesting, we are 240 years old as a country, and we have had gridlock in the past, but we have also had duals. sometimes they take it more seriously than they do now. why is now so different? well, i think now we have a president whose first impulse is to push down anybody who doesn't agree with them and make them look bad and to create a straw man and to demonize them because his nuanced, sophisticated view hasn't been adhered to. if you disagree with them, you are somehow a bad person and your motivations are wrong. it with the idea that the person who disagrees with me might just be wrong.
10:21 pm
not that they have bad motives or that they are bad people. they might be liberal or they might have a bad view of things. you can start with the premise that people can rebuild trust and the next president had better start to do that. this whole idea of pushing someone down to make yourself look better, i don't know, back to the bush family, barbara bush, when she saw a kid in our family act like that, you know what happened? they didn't have a hotline for child abuse. [laughter] get back we've got to to grown-up world here where you don't assume people are bad, you forge consensus, you know something about them, you build trust, and when we agree, you start, you go to yes, right? right now, mental health is a big challenge in our country today, and we are underfunding mental health and we need to figure out that are ways to deal
10:22 pm
with the challenges of gun violence when people are just deranged and they end up killing innocent people. it is not law-abiding people, it is some mental health challenges and identifying those people, people on the right and the left impulse is toirst use and authority that the person doesn't have. that, ae a president will not blame my predecessor -- i don't know, the first three or four years, it was hard to watch won't blame my predecessor, i will be held accountable, and i won't assume people are bad because they disagree with me. that is how you weave through a degree to move forward. who came up with that idea? and who came up with the idea that it is a sign of strength when you get nothing done. i mean, think about this. alice in this
10:23 pm
wonderland logic right now that is totally bizarre. we have attacks code where businesses are being bought by other countries. we are losing the taxes and we are losing the jobs and everyone says it is a problem, but nobody has a solution. fix it. moved to the territorial tax code like every other country has. allow one-time moneys to come back into the country instead of letting them sit overseas. turn this on its back and turn in versions into re-inversions with our own country. there are so many solutions with this problem but you are not the end-all and be-all and you are .ot the big dog on stage governors know how to do this. we have to. yes, sir? >> would you be willing to make a commitment to what you just said to whoever your future opponent might be when it comes
10:24 pm
to the general election that you will as a matter of fact, be the best of intentions and not just the punchline of a joke? it is tougher with hillary clinton because there is a trust issue. i give her respect for being intelligent, of being knowledgeable, policy oriented, she has a set of detailed plans that are very different than mine, but she is, you know, she is sincere in that regard. she believes in what she believes. i can't give her credit for honesty and trustworthiness. -- whenwhen you go to you tell family members who lost their loved ones that it was a videographer that was the motivation for the attack on benghazi, which she said, and then you are under a rose and you say -- under oath and you
10:25 pm
say that your e-mails were subpoenaed by the fbi, and then it turns out that she was e-mailed by her daughter on her private server about classified information and to the prime minister of each of that this was motivated by jihad. undergrowth she says that to the families, and to the families she said something different. that is just not trustworthy. i can't at meyer. i can admire her intelligence and her focus and her command of policies. i concerned we do that. but i hope you give me a little break here as it relates to trustworthiness and honesty. she's got a long way to go. who cares what i think about this in this regard, she would have a hard time in the democratic primary and she would have a hard time with the american people with her revisionist history. yes? >> can you talk about the military and the air force and the planes and stuff?
10:26 pm
how is it all going to be funded with the veterans and their care and stuff? how is it all going to be funded? mr. bush: great question. let me pull out my prop here. for all oflueprint the ideas we have laid out. -- can go to jeb2016/.com jeb2016.com and check this out. we are going to create a new system that will be viable for the next generation or the reforms of medicaid and medicare and we have everything in here, including defense, and we have priced it out. i'm trying to be intellectually honest. but i have proposed is a $20 billion increase in defense spending per year. it is a sizable commitment but if you are going to rebuild the navy, rebuild the air force, modernize and train and have a
10:27 pm
readiness factor that everybody expects we have but we don't, it is going to cost more money, and that is the amount of money that would be spent. in kay's anybody is asking where else we should be spending money, that would be in my mind spending money on basic research whether it is the nih or the energy or then of space program, these long-term projects for america, i think we should be spending money on. where should we be spending less? spending less and reform medicaid alone. medicaid this year alone is going to increase by 18%. 80%. -- 18%. this year alone. save $130 billion in a 10 year. . medicare would be some been based on the proposal that we have laid out. entitlements are where you are going to see savings not because you are taking benefits away but
10:28 pm
because we are modernizing it and taking it into the 21st century and allowing those savings to accrue. all compounding takes out of the other spending that is necessary and the long-term things are being hurt because of it. i believe it is finance a bull by higher growth and by reforming entitlements and by challenging the career civil service system that creates lifetime employment for federal workers that no private sector workers get, they get 40% more pay for lifetime work of the public sector and if you reform , you could save a tremendous amount of money. one more and then we've got to go. >> what are you going to do about the social security cuts coming in 2017? mr. bush: the big cuts are going to be in about 10 years when they completely run out of money and they go completely bankrupt and it is about a 30% reduction.
10:29 pm
i think you are talking about freezing the benefits rather than having it go up? i don't think there is a cut in 2017. >> yeah! there is! it is a 50% cut from our income! mr. bush: i think that is 10 years out, but i will have to check. for most of us there will be no cuts and it exist as is. 2022, you would raise the retirement age in one year. you would get up to 70 for retirement and early retirement would be 65. you would back load the benefits. right now, the better deal is to -- retire early rather than retire late. you are not cutting benefits but you are blending the benefits differently so that late retirement has a battered deal in terms of your beginning payment and early retirement.
10:30 pm
you would provide a minimum benefit for everybody of 120% of the poverty level. today on average, that is about 80% of the poverty level. average. poverty out 80% of the level. social security was designed to be a supplemental insurance savings plan. it's now a principle source of savings for most seniors. so having a floor that is higher than what exists now is appropriate. and we would lower the benefits of people with higher income. do you all those things together and a few other things, and you make it solvent. it's reality-based. t's an approach that both left and right hopefully would agree on. for those that are working, that re retirement age and work because they want to or because they have to or both, we would to pay would not have the employee portion of the -- of your payroll tax, which goes into social security. so why would someone 67, 68 years old, who's retired
10:31 pm
already, why would they have -- they shouldn't have are to continue to pay into the system. they should be able to keep that their savings, as part of their retierm. that's the plan that we've laid out. based on the actuaries that have looked at this, that would save ocial security for another 50 years and, you know, we better get on with it. the idea that the left always worry, it dea, don't will work. it's like anybody remember magazine? newman, mad let me worry. danile is a river in africa. it won't be fixed for anybody under the age of 50. we 's what will happen if don't move forward. when it started, we had about 30 retiree.rking for one then it went down to 10 and then down to five. now it's close to three. if nothing changes, it could iterally get to 2 to 1, 50-60 years from now. that's impossible. work.s not going to
10:32 pm
there are solutions that we face hat requires a leader that recognizes it that's reality-based, that has ideas, into re imbedded conservative principals that has the ability to stick with it, determination ed and that's why i'm running for president and why i hope you'll night. for me on monday thank you all very much. applause] [indistinct chatter]
10:33 pm
10:34 pm
10:35 pm
10:36 pm
10:37 pm
10:38 pm
10:39 pm
10:40 pm
>> what is your major? >> course management, in applied science. >> are you working? >> no, she is. she's in cardiac rehab. indistinct chatter] >> they say the likelihood of getting a job is why. >> my major in course management, up and coming thing, it's hard, and
10:41 pm
while you're into it, i asked question,e same exact say about to anything, but she said something bout refinancing and trying to get the percentage lower. much mr. bush: well, there is a program for that. indistinct conversation] mr. bush: if they're going to have a university program, it shouldn't throw a 10% cost per year. they are reducing the cost and getting people to graduate earlier. good luck to you. >> it's not going to help me now but it will help my nieces and nephews. mr. bush: it could help you. you could move into the income payment. t might be a better deal if
10:42 pm
you're getting 9% interest. ut definitely it would be a better deal. >> i just want to say i'm a psychologist. i have a small business. i have a ph.d. mr. bush: you're a ph.d.? >> yes. you have to read what the american psychological association says about them. mental y say about illness. mr. bush: for addiction or -- or -- but for mental health as well. indistinct conversations] >> what will you do to make sure the va gets better? r. bush: got to have career
10:43 pm
civil service reform. long term disability issues. going to a private provider if they wanted to, to improve the clinics f the veterans and others, if the veterans have other options. those three things are the three biggest things that could be done, and congress is willing to do it. not administration has really done much to resolve this, because the public union is basically resisting these changes, and i think we need to take that on. ought to be about the veterans, not the employees who work in the department. 340,000 employees, by the way. don't let her take your pen. thank you. >> how are you doing. thank you for being here.
10:44 pm
indistinct chatter]
10:45 pm
10:46 pm
10:47 pm
>> do you want to get a picture? s that your camera?
10:48 pm
10:49 pm
10:50 pm
10:51 pm
10:52 pm
indistinct conversations] > are you running for president? we need another competition like another hole in the head. good. doing
10:53 pm
>> take care. [indistinct conversations]
10:54 pm
>> my proposal is to send it all back to the states and let them work it out. truly has it the virtue. to never found it and had go to work here. this is my husband. >> how you doing, sir. meet you. thank you, guys. appreciate you being here. cool do you like this weather? >> when the sun is out and it's
10:55 pm
not windy, it's great. when it's windy and the sun is no. out, >> you should have been here a couple of weeks ago. >> i've experienced it. but i'm from miami. we don't get this weather.
10:56 pm
>> you know, i was in washington, iowa, and a guy that wned the bank there had four branches, and told me, i tried the exact numbers at the bank.ion loan. single bad they didn't sell off any of their loans, keep it on their sheet.e they knew all their customers. not a single bad loan, and their compliance costs went from $100,000 to $600,000. indistinct conversations] >> if you have a four-fold
10:57 pm
increase, i used to be in younger...en i was in that's $12 million. that's $500,000 extra cost with no return. you're effectively cutting your lendal that you can use to out by 30, 40, 50%. you can't do loans. muchlt this is something that i think there's strong support for
10:58 pm
with the new president. if you modify all this. regulation.nt you guys want to be clear, noticeable, didn't cause a problem. converted to a state. [indistinct conversation]
10:59 pm
11:00 pm
11:01 pm
indistinct chatter]
11:02 pm
in or negotiation purposes, the market, they dominate total control. doesn't always work that out. some places, like blue cross. indiscernible conversation]
11:03 pm
>> are you anticipating more eople? indiscernible conversations] >> can i get a picture? your camera? 's
11:04 pm
>> our road to the white house coverage continues tomorrow with republican presidential marco rubio ames, iowa. in and former president bill chelsea nd daughter join democratic presidential candidate hillary clinton for a cedar rapids, in iowa. you can watch both events here on c-span. iowa, c-span bus is in ahead of monday's caucuses to spread the word about c-span. showing some of our resources on the ground.
11:05 pm
-span all hands on deck as we prepare for our coverage of the iowa caucuses. democratic presidential candidate martin o'malley met simpson d college students who tweeted this. simpson clenl students and professor hang out in the c-span is while martin o'malley interviewed. and marco rubio supporters tweeted this. hello from iowa state university hatting with marco rubio supporters here, traveling with the c-span bus. >> on the eve of the iowa c-span "newsmakers" is leased to welcome governor terry branstad. he made history as the longest serving governor ever. to the program this week. thanks for being here, governor.
11:06 pm
gov. bransta >> alex eisenstat and for politco. i wanted to talk to you about logistics and infrastructure for just a minute. as the person whose state is going to be in the international are light on monday night, you confident that all systems safety to theblic vote counting to the two parties presincts organized? is everything set and ready to your mind? goichlt. gov. branstat. : yes. both republicans and democrats have worked on having the caucuses the same night and with all the technology and everything, we're going to see a record turnout, so there could be some challenges with that.
11:07 pm
obviously, the weather, they're saying we could have a snowstorm come in sunday night. those things are unexpected that could affect it, but i think we're going to have a great caucus. think it's going to be a record turnout. iowans take their responsibility parties ously, and the in the state have all worked together. of the iowa oud caucuses and we want to do all we can to keep the iowa caucuses first in the nation, the first test, where real voters decide next ey support to be the leader for the united states. so much or, thank you for being with us. obviously, exciting time. a lot of n through these caucuses before, going back a long time, that was to caucusinning of the iowa process. how many tickets do you think there will be out of iowa this y, the top two l fights between donald trump and ted cruz but how many people are
11:08 pm
iowa going rge from forward? gov.branstat: historically, we say there's three tickets out of iowa, but this time, on the such a an side, we have big field that i think there might be four or five. expect there might be more, and it's an expectation game, so wins but who who beats expectations, and that's one of the things i think , isybody will be looking at who beats expectations. it's a very different situation this year. outsiders year. we see bernie sanders is really surging. that race will be very close. the democrat rules, if you don't get 15%, you're not considered on le, so a lot may hinge who the o'malley people go for if they don't have 50% in their
11:09 pm
caucus, that could determine who wins on the democratic side. on the republican side, we have the trump phenomenon. he is drawing huge crowds here, ut he's skipped the debate and a lot of people -- i mean, i'd onal wisdom says that wasn't a smart thing to do, but he's done a lot of things that conventional wisdom would say wasn't smart but he seems to leader and p as the i guess time will tell when people will actually go and vote night. caucuses on monday interestk the level of is higher than ever. the turnouts of the candidates as been tremendous so i'm expecting a record turnout for the iowa caucuses. james: governor, you just talked about donald trump a little bit. i'm curious, to what extent do front w him as the runner? where do you see this race between him and ted cruz right now, and how certain are you that one of those two will in the caucuses?
11:10 pm
gov. branstad: ted cruz was have in iowa but as people figured out, he has stand on things that are important to the economy of this state, renewable fuel, ethanol, wind energy, he opponent of the renewable field standard and has introduced legislation that that, and that's tens of thousands of jobs in our state. income.ortant for farm he's also against the wind energy tax credit, and we have of our electricity now generated by wind and ompanies like facebook and google and microsoft have chosen to locate in iowa because so comes our electricity from renewable energy from wind. and i think his stand on that issue is definitely going to seenhim, and i think we've in recent polls that he was but now he's dropped
11:11 pm
behind trump. another question is some of the other candidates did really well in the debate such as rubio and chris christie and bush, i think did better than expected and will that have an impact? the iowa debate i think a lot of people in this state could could -- and a lot of iowa oters wait until the last that make up their minds. i'm one of those who haven't made their final decision of who i'm going to vote for in the caucuses. i'm like a lot of iowa voters at this point in time. caucus ing to go to the and between now and then we'll have to decide who we'll vote for. mentioned that final debate thursday night. well. and christie did did cruz do well? he obviously renewable energy and defense issue. gov. branstad: that, plus he was criticizing the moderator and got booed for that.
11:12 pm
poor think it was a performance on his part and some of the other candidates came across a lot better. obviously, his stand -- we have 43 ethanol plants. diesel 12 borrowed plants. we have a number of plants that re making wind towers andature turbins and blades. it's farm income too. when you turbine on your land you get income from that. corn is sold to ethanol plants. farmers get back ebgs to feed their cattle so renewable energy state and a to our lot of jobs are at stake and i think his stand against energy will have an impact in this state. senator ernor, you and cruz had some words for each other indirectly earlier this
11:13 pm
week. he suggested you were sort of part of the washington establishment or d.c. washington cartel, and i'm curious how you feel about that, about some of hose words that senator cruz had for you. gov. branstad: well, first of all, i've been urged to run for national office many times, but i have never had an interest in running for the senate or any national office because i love iowa, and i've been elected six iowa as the governor of and the last election i carried 98 of the 99 counties. every year.y county so i have no connection to lobbyists d.c. or the in d.c. to only time i go to d.c. is talk to our congressional delegation to talk to the things about people for iowa. i'm an advocate for iowa and iowa jobs and farm ers and and we lead the state and the nation in renewable energy. we have ethanol, bio diesel and
11:14 pm
wind. we're also seeing significant growth in solar energy as well. major proposal now on water quality as well to protect this valuable resource future benefit of generations, so i think he obviously doesn't know me. he doesn't understand that i'm the governor of the state of connection have no to washington d.c., whatsoever. in fact, i've chosen time and time again not to run for national office. james: good answer. you mentioned you think there's going to be a record turnout. sort of ested to hear why it's related to the fact hat trump and sanders have tapped into voters who haven't historically participated. a lot of talk n about the ground game, unlike a a mary going to a caucus is more significant investment of time. you know, and so there have been doesn't bout how trump have as good of a ground game or
11:15 pm
field operation as some of the other candidates. how much does that matter and have you picked up on that too? gov. branstad: well, it's an organizational battle but i why i ne of the reasons think the turnout is going to be huge is because the turnouts to 1700 people. had i didn't know there was 1700 republicans. that's a huge turnout. he had his alternative event he put together on short notice at drake university, which is overflow capacity in competition debate on blican thursday night. so it's just hard to judge that. also, the other candidates are getting record turnouts as well. i just think we have this many candidates. they're all working hard. a lot of them are spending a lot of time in iowa. a number of candidates have gone counties and i think that's the way to generate
11:16 pm
turnout. also, on the democratic side, we see a lot of young people and first-time voters that are going and vote for sanders. saw hat similar to what we eight years ago for obama. win y thought obama would iowa. hillary clinton was the favorite and yet she came in third. so we'll see if history repeats itself. >> governor, can i ask a question just on turnout and what the role of the independents will be. put secretary of state just out new numbers as we're talking on this friday morning. 584,000, ocrats republicans 612, and independents 628,000. 'm wondering how you think those independents will break on monday. gov. branstad: well, you know, state, you can change your registration normally on election day. night.s case ocaucus so all you have to do is if you
11:17 pm
republicancus in the caucus, you go to the republican your site and change registrati registration. if you want to do it on the democratic side, you do the same thing. so i suspect a lot of people with the interest of the ttention here, i think the number of independents will decide to caucus with one party obviously, , and they can change back to become a no party voter the next day if they want to. but i think we're going to see tens of thousands of people who are not registered republican or democrat, they're going to come to the caucuses, and participate the ichever one they feel most interested in. susan: but that's the processed answer. i'm wondering about your political hat. you know these people in this state. how do you think the independents are going to break on caucus night? gov. branstad: i think because of the number of republican o ndidates, that we're going t see a lot of them, they're going to come out and vote in the republican caucus. but i think sanders is also
11:18 pm
attracting a significant amount people, especially young people that have never caucused before. so we may see a significant number that come out and caucus that's probably going to be the key if he's going to carry iowa, is for him to get a lot of those first-time caucus goers, as well as people that are for o'malley, if they don't get to the 15% liability. the democratic caucus has a different rule. republicans, it's really a vote for the to presidential choice. on the democratic side, they groups, and if you don't have 15%, your group s not considered viable, and then you have to choose -- in this case, there's only three candidates, so you have to other two h of the you want. susan: gentlemen, we're just point.e halfway alex: governor, i'm curious fdonald trump wins monday night,
11:19 pm
does he become difficult to stop in terms of momentum in terms of ability to win the nomination, and i'm curious, what have your personal interactions been with donald trump? are you impressed with him as a candidate? i will say d: well, that chris christie has chaired the republican governors, and he did an event for me at a golf course that donald trump owns in northern new jersey. so i got help from both trump and chris christie. more from chris christie because he chaired the republican governs. me but helpedlped republicans win in illinois, massachusetts, and maryland, and helpedult states defend republican governorers in places like michigan, wisconsin and whatever. but donald trump is a very interesting individual, and he's a very unconventional candidate. i would never have imagined that, you know -- what he did is he brought his helicopter to the iowa state fair and gave his kids rides.
11:20 pm
he's done a lot of unconventional things in this campaign, and then skipping the debate, certainly not something i would have advised. but he put on his own show, and both huckabee and santorum, who previously won the to his event because they didn't get invited included the that fab seven. mentioned huckabee and santorum, the last two side.licans on the o that if cruz wins iowa and goes on to on, do you minati think the legitimacy of the aucuses, the special place it holds, that thee winners of the caucuses go on to lose the nomination? gov. branstad: i would point out the last two presidents of the united states started out by winning iowa caucuses, george w. bush and barack obama. you have to do is ask
11:21 pm
giuliani, was skipping iowa caucus good for him. he thought it would start in got da but by the time it to florida, it was too late. so i think you skip iowa at your own risk, and this year, we've seen a lot of activity from all iowa ndidates here in the caucuses. some more than others, and iowa reward people that go all over the state, people with people and answer their questions, and that's what i do. that's what senator grassley lieutenant governor ernest.nolds and johnny so you might say spoiled by attention but they take their responsibility seriously and oftentimes they want to meet a candidate two or three times before they decide who they're going to vote for. alex: governor, i'm curious. marco o you see rubio -- how do you see marco rubio fairing right now? did he finish in the top two or three?
11:22 pm
could you see a top two finish with him? did he surprise people on monday? where do you lay his prospects right now? had a anstad: i think he very strong showing in the debate. and it's all about peak the only poll -- that counts is the one they take case,ction day or in this on caucus night so i think he has some momentum going into it. how well he'll do, my sense is i don't think he has a strong of an organization as some of the other candidates, but as soon as we get a lot of interest and a lot of enthusiasm for his he did come think in second to trump in a poll hat was done by the secretary of state among students. own can tell you from my personal experience, the students tend to like their parents and maybe he has an advantage of being a younger candidate, so you know, i think you've got to take that into
11:23 pm
consideration, but certainly, watch.e to i think chris christie is another one that had a really performance, and we'll see what kind of impact hat has because the debate was so close to the actual voting on monday night. james: that's the second time christie, ed chris the new jersey governor, helped out a lot in iowa in the 98 county win in 2014. a bunch of your folks who worked campaign or helping out governor christie in the been he had sort of pretty much heavily focused on new hampshire. he's pivoted towards iowa, spent a lot more time there in the final weeks. guess one, why didn't you endorse christie. o many of the supports and favorite staff support. and twoshgs will he get rewarded for putting the extra time on the ground. john kasich is now leaving iowa and not coming back until the
11:24 pm
waukz. ov. branstad: yeah, kasich is another very good governor but he's put most of his focus and effort in new hampshire. christie spent a lot of time in new hampshire too. but i think a lot of people that worked in my campaign appreciated all the assistance and help we received in both especially in 2014 from chris christie. i, as governor, want to be a good host and welcome to all the candidates and that's why i didn't think it would be appropriate for me to endorse nybody before the iowa caucuses. but i do respect that really all the candidates that are coming and spending their time and money in iowa, traveling the know the ting to people of iowa, this is a great opportunity for us. responsibility very seriously, and that's why i'm going to istic we're see our absolutely great turnout night.ay
11:25 pm
lex: governor, which candidate hits you the hardest for your endorsement? gov. branstad: well, i'm one of them every told me they'd love to have my endorsement, but they were all understanding as governor they endorse beforeot the iowa caucuses so they were very understanding of the position that i've taken. the last time i endorsed a andidate i think was bob dole back in the '90s and that's a ause he was almost like third senator from iowa. e was a strong supporter for renewable energy. he and senator grassley were very close. we just had a wonderful relationship as we went through the farm crisis of the '80s. bob dole was there. he was there and a fundraiser for me when i ran for lieutenant governor in siouxu city on 1978, an event i
11:26 pm
missed because the landing gear didn't work on our airplane and a belly landing. i won't forget that date. october '78. for me. was there james: two factions in the republican party have been past.al of you in the took over aul people the state party. ou were able to get it back on track after it had some issues, cruz's most prominent surrogates traveling around. there are thoughts if cruz won the caucuses, the official conservatives would try to take the party over again from some of the more main stream republicans. are you concerned about that, and are you taking any steps to avert that kind of situation? gov. branstad: well, we need a republican party that supports all candidates. i'm proud to say in this last
11:27 pm
senate seat, on a we won two congressional seats david young and rob lung, and we are very optimistic in of the gaining control state senate which we haven't had in many years and you need a partyd party and you need leadership that works for and supports all the candidates as governor. i try to work for all the candidates and support the entire ticket and i'm proud of the progress we made in 2014. i think 2016 can be a great year. with grassley leading the ticket 65-70% of the g vote with the strong candidates we have for the legislature, i think we'll have a great chance to carry this state for our presidential candidate as well and want to do anything everything i can to help the entire ticket and we need a all the t works for
11:28 pm
candidates and that's what i've always believed in and i'm very proud that, you know, under the present leadership we have, jeff kaufman, the party has really worked well, and we've got our financial house in order, and of 're doing a great job supporting candidates and also hosting the debate and the caucuses. alex: governor, what you just aid, does that mean you would support ted cruz if he's the republican nominee? gov. branstad: of course. i will support the republican numbny and enthusiastically nominee for whoever the is but i want the iowa voters to be well informed and know who really supports the iowa industry and jobs and iowa agriculture and we know that renewable energy, be it ethanol, bio diesel, wind or solar, very we rtant to our state, and see great opportunities for growth in those areas in the future. we ant to keep the momentum have going for us.
11:29 pm
susan: governor in the 30 seconds we have left, we were sitting in these seats this time last year. jeb bush was the presumptive man your party by most conventional wisdom. hat happened to this campaign that he's in these low digits in the polls around the country and can't seem to break out? until anstad: let's wait people have voted. i think we'll have to wait and see what happens in caucus monday night. he might surprise people how well he does. i know he has a lot of support do and friends in iowa as the other candidates and it epends upon who turns out and i'm not going to prejudge what's going to happen on monday night because i've been surprised before. susan: well, thank you for being with us on "newsmakers" this wish you wellf us in the logistics for the caucuses that everything turns iowa ll for the state of and the voters there on monday. gov. branstad: thank you. >> thanks, governor.
11:30 pm
susan: well, what should people know this is program sunday morning when they're seeing this, the caucuses will be monday night. what should they know at this point, what's happening and how important it is? james: i think it's going to be record turnout. really, it is an open question. he mentioned the huge crowds that show up for donald trump. we don't know if these people will go to caucus. when you talk to them, a lot of ever.have never caucused that's why there could be a snowstorm sunday night. whose people are coming to the polls. bernie sanders on the democratic side. a lot of college students support him. will they come out and caucus for him? said years ago, everyone barack obama had a lot of energetic supporters but they wouldn't come out and caucus and they did. urn-out records were set and obama won the caucuses in the presidency. i really think it's an open
11:31 pm
question. i think we got a sense from alking to the governor that it's a very fluid race. it could go to marco rubio but could go to someone else. e clearly likes chris christie a lot. they're very close. he would have liked ted endorsing him. finishes fourth, it helps him in new hampshire next week. he seemed to be suggesting there would be four tickets out. christie is helping get into the getting momentum for it. susan: and the expectations gain. lex: i will say one of the things fascinating to me about what the governor is saying is he's sort of putting his thumb certain way.in a the fact you have the governor of iowa coming out so strongly who is in some ways the front runner in the state right now, is kind of a remarkable development. and he's not mincing his words. he's not speaking in coded language about this. he is being really up front, really blunt about his feelings and, look, i mean, governor
11:32 pm
branstad said he would support nominee buthe was a that's about the only nice thing he had to say about him. from public art comments he made, it was a super interesting interview because he publicly in ful in iowa, you talked about how he is everyone and ikes i think emboldened by cruz's rough debate on thursday night, he governor really did unload pretty hard on cruz, and the other thing is the governor said running note eric is the agriculture industry's effort against cruz that spent attacking dollars him, the forced position on ethanol, and cruz is, you know, for a lot t of hits of different issues, not just ethanol, we should say, but governor branstad and his son, clearly, if cruz doesn't win iowa will attribute it to the ethanol issue, which i think you aw him laying the ground work to do our interview. alex: who did the governor not criticize, donald trump.
11:33 pm
susan: does that speak positively. leaves is in the tea that he didn't speak about jeb bush? james: it's about the staffers. eb bush has impressive staffers, people that worked for in the past and hasn't connected. endorsements.of you'd think he might be able to connect. ne of the things that's interesting, the governors aren't thinking through. jerry branstad, one of the longest running governors in history. john kasich, chris christie, jeb bush, one of the top three or four candidates in the polls are governors, and i think that's hard for someone like terry not tad to see and there's really much he can do but it's the mood of the moment and an asset in not this political season. talk aboutthen let's the democrats.
11:34 pm
alex: yes, what a relief that is. it's kind of remarkable to watch that race play out. everyone thought hillary clinton with this.way that hasn't been the case. to be talking about the outcome of that tuesday morning. ames: you could have a very scattered republican field. if it's 22%, you know, those going a bunch of different ways, it's hard for anyone to come out with clear momentum, whereas the also be c race could very close or it could be a surprise. usan: and you talked a lot about process. and what you've learned, the results were long in coming out. with technology, is everything it g to work as well as should monday night as far as you've been able to tell in your reporting? james: four years ago, it was debacle. declared mitt romney on election night. two days later, rick santorum won.
11:35 pm
the reporting should go more smoothly but ultimately, you've got to think about who's doing reporting and the tabulating. you're only as strong as your weakest links. inot of the caucus sites are the middle of nowhere. a lot of them are people who do this all the time. volunteers who are, you know, tabulating the results in 1700 different precincts. o if a couple them do it wrong and it's a very close caucus night, that could be very problematic. o i think the people i talk to are more confident than they were four years ago, but there's to be a littleon bit nervous and things could get tricky. alex: in terms of logistics, also, the weather is something people were talking about a lot into caucus. susan: on social media, this is he most prominent election so far for social media. people are on their twitter caucus d getting into calls and saying come on out, there's not enough people here. an impactkely to have
11:36 pm
this year? alex: it's a great question, and best social media game of all these candidates. we don't know. that's an unknown factor because media in thisocial is going to be way different ago. it was even four years james: it is a mobilization game now and not just a persuasion game. facebook t, you'd run ads to reach people and youtube ads. now you're using tools to drive people out. donald trump, winning in all the inal polls of iowa does not have a good of a ground game as ted cruz. so could that make a difference? to go show up. it's not like you can go 12 hours and cast your ballot and go on. there's a poll this week that showed half as many people in contacted they'd been by the trump and cruz campaign. what does that matter? on monday.out susan: it's finally here. thanks very much for setting of the ge on the eve iowa caucuses, gentlemen. >> thank you.
11:37 pm
morning, iowa, simulca simulcasting with c-span. >> god bless the great state of iowa. >> iowa! >> the republican party of iowa. >> in iowa. >> in iowa. >> in iowa. >> in iowa. >> in iowa. >> wonderful friends in iowa today. >> told us one year ago that we were going to come in third in iowa, we would have given that. ng for >> it was good to be back in iowa. >> people didn't know much about the iowa caucuses. > would you say this is an average caucus? >> it's hard to say. it's the third one i've been to. they're all different. >> it is good to be back in iowa.
11:38 pm
>> thank you, iowa, for the great send-off you're giving. voters.s are discerning >> i want to thank all the people of iowa. >> i want to thank all the people of iowa. first. is the >> i love you all. if i lose iowa, i will never speak to you people again. >> iowa senator chuck grassley at a campaign on event at the university of iowa in iowa city. not endorsed ben carson or any other republican candidates. iowa holds its first of the nation caucus in iowa on monday. this is just over an hour.
11:39 pm
>> thank you all very much. what a turnout. thank you, senator ryan for those kind remarks. my wife would say you always first.people that reminds me of another thank you. thanks to all of you for giving me the opportunity to serve you in the united states senate. renewed from be time to time. it's my privilege to be invited carson.duce dr. but before i actually give you an introduction of dr. carson first got u how i acquainted with him, i think hat the enthusiasm that i see if it's ese rallies kept up between now and the election, we'll be able to have a republican president and not
11:40 pm
have a third term of an obama presidency. . pplause] sen. grassley: and for the government,f limited that's pretty important, because we have a president that said if a phone and if congress won't, i will. you concrete to the principle of limited government, and you know where that comes from, best expressed in the declaration of independence, that we're creator, with inalienable rights, the pursuit happiness.d government can give and away, but can take when you have those rights from and then they're yours, you, we have a constitution, that gives government some but the principle of limited government is very, very
11:41 pm
important. and by a government of and for the people. it's not by and for the government. nd if you listen to what the democratic candidates for president, their answer is to every problem. it doesn't matter what problem is brought up. is more n problem taxes, more spending, and more regulation. very contrary to what has made this country great, the engenuity and hard work of the american people, not what comes from government. and so this enthusiasm has to be to make n order for us sure that we don't have a third presidency.obama reason you have being here now, it can't end on february 1. continue through the
11:42 pm
following nine months. i hope that you will do that, know that i'm to going to work hard to make sure third term t have a of an obama presidency. now, i'll tell you a second time why i'm here, because i want to have the privilege, i want and have the rivilege of introducing dr. carson. can i tell you how i first learned about dr. carson? he was famous in the medical profession, and particularly in surgery and particularly in brain surgery, but that doesn't mean a farmer from iowa like would know who he is. but i've been a regular attendee breakfast.l fair in fact, even before dr. carson spoke there maybe 10 years before it, i had the privilege , 48 aring mother teresa inches, having to stand on a box to speak to 4,000 people with
11:43 pm
resident clinton two seats away, and she said -- she told about the value of life and abortion, and ith he had to listen to it. there'sfew years later, a dr. carson that i didn't know knew about but i knew he existed. he was invited to speak to 4,000 people at the national prayer reakfast, and i had the privilege of hearing him say hat was wrong with obama care, with the president two or three seats away. he was not there to give a political speech. he was there to give a spiritual speech. ut there's a certain amount of spirituality connected with and living by the that tution as well overnment is not the answer to
11:44 pm
everything. there's other things involved with life and belief in god is one of those. so the value of life is what our faith is all about. of life. and the constitution that backs that up. heard him say during that that were things wrong with obama care as one gave.e that he so i came away from that meeting guy has fact that this a lot of guts, even though he's a brain surgeon. a lot of guts. so i come to you with that background about him, and would say that there's some principles brain surgeon has that you have to have in government as well. say that i like to think, you know, again, i don't know anything about medicine, but i assume you have to put together a good team. for the to have a plan
11:45 pm
operation you're going to have, and you have to make sure that a complicated operation is performed well. oesn't it sound similar to something that's missing in government, putting together a proper team, putting together the proper planning and carrying out an operation with success? very ms to me that that's important. now, you heard him say on television that he's the only one that is on the platform up there during the debate. i don't know whether he said him last night but i heard say it a lot of times. i'm the only one out here without a political title. you don't have to have a olitical time-out -- title to run for president. you don't have to have a political title to perform as a president. you have to have a lot of common sense, and i think now that dr. carson is going to come out here to speak to you, i think you're going to see a person that has a
11:46 pm
lot of common sense in order to answer our problems and i want common sense is important, because washington is an island surrounded by reality. if you ever wonder why i ever weekend, this he is the real world. dr. carson is the real world. dr. carson, come here and tell them why you are a good candidate. . pplause] dr. carson: thank you, so much. grassley.nator i'm absolutely delighted to be ere today, after the debate last night, in which i didn't but i did getime, a chance to say a lot and that's the important thing. a lot of times people say to me, throughally worth going all the things that you have to o through to run for president
11:47 pm
of the united states? people attacking you, attacking your character and your family, the tremendous grind. is it all the worth it? and the answer is, no. laughter] not if you're doing it for yourself. however, if you have a bigger purpose, it is definitely worth it. go., you know -- there we okay. nsa, you got to watch them. [laughter] but anyway, you know, i've spent career, professional you know, looking after children, and trying to give chance and a third chance. hard work, ll that and you put them back into an not healthy.hat's and i couldn't stand the thought
11:48 pm
of retiring knowing that our children were going to into a bad environment. you know, this is the first do worsen predicted to than their parents in american history. marked change from everything that has characterized us in the past. a land of hope, a land of dreams. dream is an disappearing before our eyes. is, are we just going to continue down the same the same things, with slight variations on them, and having people say, oh, it's this time. when it really isn't. going to make a major turn this thing around? you know, i am very dedicated to
11:49 pm
preserving the american dream. have you noticed there's no other country with a dream? we're the only ones with a dream. there's no canadian dream. dream.s no italian there's no nigerian dream. dream.s an american and yet there's so many people en grading our country saying we're the root of all evil, have created so many problems in the world. well, if we were all that bad, why are so many people trying to many people nd not trying to leave. i don't think we're bad at all. hen you want to talk about an exceptional nation, this is the one you need to talk about. our n, we declared independence in 1776. less than a hundred years later, the number 1 economic power in the world. and 5,000 years before america
11:50 pm
scene, people did things the same way. within 200 years of america oming on the scene, men were walking on the moon. think about that. completely changed the man kind. of by far the most exceptional nation the world has ever known of the reasons that we should be in no hurry to give away all our values and principles for the sake of political correctness and let our nation be changed. you know, we made sure -- applause] -- the pc police would have you believe that every other curling, every other lifestyle, incremental and therefore, we should welcome all those other things into our nation.
11:51 pm
i like i said last night, believe in the teddy roosevelt philosophy. as long as lcome, they accept our principles, our values and our laws. if not, stay where they are. [applause] i don't see anything wrong with that. i don't think that that's prejudicial in any way. it just says that we like where we are. you probably had somebody come into your house as guest and they would walk in and say, you know, i don't like room y your living furniture is. i'm going to pick that out and put some other stuff in here and they open your refrigerator and say i don't like this stuff. get rid of all of that. had a roommate who was like that. it was so funny. of my w, another one roommates, his mom would bring and hese treats and stuff put them in the refrigerator and bob would come in and say, i
11:52 pm
don't like these. tell your mom not to bring them anymore. for asn't bringing them bob. but some people, that's the they have.at but certainly, the dreams for me as a youngster, i wanted to be a doctor. it was really the only thing that grabbed my fancy. write over ed policemen and firemen. wanted anything to do with medicine. i liked going to the doctor's office. shot.n't mind getting a i could smell the alcohol swabs. i was on cloud 9 if i had those swabs. nd if i could have the stethoscope and listen to my own and if anybody volunteered, i'd listen to their heart. o was so much fun and going t the hospital was the best thing in the world.
11:53 pm
some people don't like going to the hospital. they had to wait for long periods of time. the longer i could wait, the better, because i could sit out in the hall way and listen to the pa system. jones, to the emergency room. dr. johnson. they sounded so important and thinking, one day, dr. carson, dr. carson. beepers now. but there's a reason that god abilitya brain with the to dream, because sometimes, the dream is the only thing that gets you through. sometimes the going gets very, and you have to impossible dream and reach, when your arms are grasp it. and it certainly didn't look very likely for me as a youngster.
11:54 pm
i was a terrible student. in addition to growing up in terrible poverty, i was the worst student you could possibly have, and everybody called me dummy. that was my nickname. i admired the at smart kids. i would never tell them i admired them but i really did admire them. because imagine they're in the am.e grade as i how do they know all this stuff? it always reminds me of a lot of young people and unfortunately ld people that i encountered these days, who don't know very much. have you noticed that you run into a lot of people who don't know very much? superficial knowledge. i said, go out on these on the street interviews and ask people stuff, like what's the significance of labor day? say, oh, that celebrates women having babies.
11:55 pm
i mean, they just have no idea about anything. and the sad thing is these people vote. you know, that's the really sad thing. [laughter] founders were ur adamant about education. massachusetts e bay colony, if you didn't have adequate education in your fined.ity, you were that's how it was. alexis curttail came to country in 1931 to study this country because he was fascinated, how could this competingyears old be with europe on every level. he was going to figure out what was going on here. government.our he was impressed with the separation of powers. nd the efficiency of our government. now, this was a while ago. and then yeah, he said, let me look at their education system. and he was blown away.
11:56 pm
nybody finishing the second grade was completely literate. bear trapper, the guy could read are the newspaper. could tell him how government worked. ould have a sophisticated conversation. only the aristocracy in europe could do that. it was an amazing thing that was nation, and our that's one of the reasons i think that we developed so quickly, why we were able to ocean to another cean across a vast hostile and rugged terrain. we had what's known as the can-do attitude. and it quickly propelled us to the pinnacle of the world. that can-do attitude is rapidly with the aced today what can you do for me attitude. quickly.nging very
11:57 pm
in fact, 30 years ago, somebody tried to describe to you today's america, you wouldn't have believed them. you would have said, that's ridiculous. those kind of things would never america. on in we are changing at break-neck speed. and interestingly enough, joseph america by riend of any stretch of the imagination, if you want to bring america down, you have to destroy her from the inside. by attack iing fundamentals of america. her faith, her patriotism, and her morality. those, you can destroy you will destroy america.
11:58 pm
and you notice those are the exact things that are going on today. society stopping emies are crimp.olitical you don't talk about all this stuff. you just let it happen, and your society is changed. you have nothing to say about -- they've been doing it decades. and they are actually in the minority. the majority of americans actually have common sense. the majority of americans actually have real values and principles. it's just that they've been shut intimidated. been they're afraid to speak out and actually believe. progressives, th
11:59 pm
they don't care whether you agree with them or not, as long as you sit down and shut your mouth, and that's what's going on. and it's really time for people open their and mouths widely and proclaim what because that is what is going to save america. must stop atives allowing themselves to be manipulated. you know, the progressives come along and say you conservatives because you ple, have such high principles, and vote for ot dare somebody with whom you have a disagreement, because you're such good people. and then they go home and laugh at you. and the last presidential lection, 93 million people who could have voted did not vote. 30 million evangelicals did not vote.
12:00 am
we cannot allow that to happen.

20 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on