Skip to main content

tv   Road to the White House 2020 Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand Rally at Trump...  CSPAN  March 24, 2019 12:28pm-2:11pm EDT

12:28 pm
let's bring you live coverage on c-span from new york city. respect yourself ♪ ♪
12:29 pm
>> ladies and gentlemen please welcome crowd dreamers and immigrants rights activists
12:30 pm
we are dreamers. >> my name is lucy. this may i'll be graduating with a criminal justice degree and psychology concentration from pace university and heading to law school. states atthe united the age of five from guatemala. as far back as my memory allows me to go i see images of my parents working hard to provide a better life for my siblings and i.
12:31 pm
any young age my parents made me aware that nothing was given to you and you must work for what you want. that's exactly what i have done. it has not been easy. i'm working toward achieving my american dream, which i believe is vivid and attainable. , a dacareamer recipient, a first gen scholar, a latina, and a woman. these titles to find who i am and i wear them with pride. they have presented a perry or -- a barrier of their own. brave i joined these individuals. being brave to me means waking up each morning with hope and strength to continue the fight while not crumbling at the face of adversity. i have had to kick down doors
12:32 pm
where i have knocked and no one has opened them. from not being eligible for financial aid because of my status to not being promised another day in this country which holds all i have ever known and all i love. being told students like me could not go to a four-year universities yet here i am graduating from one now. even being restricted on where i can work or in turn because of my work authorization work twons, having to or three jobs while being full-time in school to be able to afford it. andg doubted, questioned always having to prove myself from us young as i can remember. i'm sure you are able to resonate with struggles of your own. .ere you are, against all
12:33 pm
andyone's stories today, everyone of your stories at home intertwine as story of struggle, hope, strength, and success. i'm representing my dreamer and immigrant community today because the fight for the dream act and/or immigration reform would allow me to continue working hard to achieving my dreams. and allow me to live a stable life and continue contributing to my community. it would ultimately change mind and my family's life. it would expand my possibilities, my opportunities, my dreams come and allow me to continue demonstrating why love this country and my gratitude as i continue pledging allegiance to the flag every day. my story is one of millions. not just about the dreamers or about immigrants,
12:34 pm
but about all marginalized groups. spanish] in lisdy: here we are against all odds and still we rise. my message to everyone here today is take all these barriers that society has placed on you, embrace your story, embrace your back ground, embrace your struggle. [speaking in spanish] it is your fight against adversity that has built your resilience to be here at this moment. supporting senator gillibrand in her run for presidential office because she is embracing my struggle, my
12:35 pm
story and strengthening my voice. my fight is your fight. your fight is my fight, and our fight is her fight. boats.g tide lifts all together we are stronger and together we will rise. [speaking in spanish] [cheering] >> thank you. are we fired up? >> yes we are. >> thank you. unconditional love leads to bravery and bravery leads to action. whether you are a mother,
12:36 pm
father, son, or a daughter. all of you understand unconditional love. through whatou that looks like for my parents. our immigrant community. 2001, does go young parents choose to leave three young daughters behind while they pursue the american dream. the family is torn apart by uncertain future. missed birthdays and graduations. many crying phone calls. the story is all too common. teenagerse young embark on what they thought was a vacation. they saw their parents for the first time in years on foreign soil. they reunited but became
12:37 pm
undocumented. family reunification comes with the cost of living with fear. fear of coming home to an empty house, of being put on a deportation pipeline just for driving your kids to school because we cannot get a drivers license. fear of being torn apart. families should never live in fear of separations but that is our constant reality. june 2012, nearly 800,000 young and i will lisdy remember this day for the rest of our lives. deferred action for childhood arrivals gave us hope. legally to contribute to our community even more. lisrbitrary deadline helped dy -- creating an uncertain future for me. regardless of arbitrary .eadlines you made it possible
12:38 pm
our movement made it possible. thousands of young immigrants came out of the shadows to say enough is enough. thousands of immigrants said basta. thousands of young immigrants gained access because we chose bravery over fear. 2016, our progress took a huge step back. american values to claim the white house. personal agendas before the people. 800,000 young immigrants reverted to a stage of fear and deeper uncertainty. , immigrant women, lgbtq, our community came together. hatel said loud and clear,
12:39 pm
will not win. braveryl be defeated, will lead. to demand families belong together. 2018, you come immigrants, people of color said enough. we organized like never before. turned out voters like never before. leads to finishing the job. bravery leads to breaking that ceiling and bravery leads to help us elect the first female president. bravery leads to help us elect kirsten gillibrand as our next president. us finallyds to help
12:40 pm
have a permanent fix for 800 thousand young dreamers and 11 million undocumented immigrants across the nation. us build ads to help humane immigration system. bravery leads to work and sacrifices of our community. my future is still uncertain but in 2019, hope back makes my passion to keep going. unconditional love of my parents has led me to be here today. futurerage for a better tells me wake up every day in the face of fear. a combination of all of them is what drives me today. a combination of all of them is what allows the movement to continue growing. a combination of all of them is what will ensure that i am the first in my family to get a masters degree.
12:41 pm
12:42 pm
[speaking in spanish] monica: our next president will lead with shared values. our next president will lead with bravery. our next president will be kirsten gillibrand. us.nds, join me, join community leads into thousand 18. -- everybody, let me hear you. are you fired up? thank you. >> please welcome anti-sexual assault activist annie clark.
12:43 pm
>> what's up new york? good morning. clark. is annie honestly, when i was told the theme of this event was bravery and i was asked to speak as sort of felt like an imposter because i feel like that adjective is reserved for people who do great things. i think each one of us can do great things. over the past few days i have come to believe that we are all capable. but if we come together we can and racism, homophobia, .rans-phobia, sexism that is why i'm putting my faith in new york senator kirsten gillibrand. i was planning a speech that was
12:44 pm
well polished and edited them probably much to the chagrin of communications folks i'm going to go a little bit off record because that is what being brave .s a little bit about me and my story. i am one of many folks in the united states who have been sexually assaulted. uee individualsr when you have a platform you need to use it. i am imperfect. i'm learning and i'm trying to be brave by sharing my story with you today because that is what senator gillibrand showed me. old i was 18 years
12:45 pm
sexually assaulted and when i came forward to my university, i was blamed. i was told it was my fault and that i should have done something differently to prevent the situation. later with one of my colleagues and good friends, we walked up to capitol hill, with no appointment, and showed up on the doorstep of senator gillibrand's office and said here's an issue and she listened to her citizens. she responded. and i think bravery can be very loud and sometimes it is on the front page of the washington post or the new york times but it's also very quiet. and you would never know this from a headline but not only did she listened to us, she invited us into her home. she made us dinner.
12:46 pm
we played games. i lost. was -- it is important to know those moments of bravery are not just the ones that are always in the public eye. i was thinking about this speech today. i actually called my dad who, confession, is a lifelong republican. i ask him, what about bravery? what about senator gillibrand? he said even though our ideologies might be different, remember who showed up before it was popular. and doing good does not have a partisan line. if my father can get behind this
12:47 pm
, wow. just getting to know her as a person i am very honored and proud to be here. it is brave to let a twentysomething year old stand on a stage and endorse you for president of the united states. it is brave to stand out in onnt of trump tower and call political offices. what's bravery is standing up to your own political party when there are instances of racism and sexual violence. and that is why i'm proud to call senator gillibrand not only one of my mentors but my candidate for 2020. thank you very much.
12:48 pm
>> please welcome gun safety advocate jackie rowand adams. >> i see your brave. you are brave to stand out here in the cold and the wind.
12:49 pm
and i'mie rowand adams a mother who lost does go kids to gun violence. kids,co -- losing does go i started an organization called harlem mothers save -- in werting that organization .ere hopeless we did not think there was nobody that cared about stopping this gun violence. gillibrand,senator and she was brave enough and bold enough to say enough is enough.
12:50 pm
t toick and tired of it o. hopeless. when everybody ran away from this issue, and you know what i'm talking about. nobody wanted to deal with the nra. nobody wanted to deal with the gun trafficking. nobody. they swept it under the rug. they were scared to talk about it because there was too much money in it. you are selling our kids lives for money? gillibrand.tor she was brave. why are wen was losing our young people in our
12:51 pm
schools and our churches, this is just not a community issue. this is not just a state issue, this is a worldwide issue. senator, i have to say, we thank her everyday. hope. not have any now we have hope. we are feeling brave. we know someone is standing with us and being the voice for the voiceless. ago, a lot of people wasn't talking about this issue. no stopping us now. bash that's to
12:52 pm
where all the guns are coming from. -- that is where all the guns are coming from. we're going to make sure our churches are safe and we're going to make sure we are brave enough, bold enough to speak up. are you brave enough to speak up? [cheering] >> not only is our senator pretty, not only is our senator our senator ay is real lady but she carries a big stick. she could go up against anybody because she's a woman. and she's brave. ladies, youo you
12:53 pm
can do it. yes you can. you can do it. yes you can. men, they sit at the table and removed us from the table, but it's over now. and number 45, we're coming after you. we've got a lady. a lady that's going to deal with all the issues of the world. get ready, because here we come. , ain't no this stopping us now. we are on the move. stopave, be bold, let's
12:54 pm
letting them take our kids lives and stand up, stand up and fight with senator gillibrand to get rid of all of these illegal guns . here and i hope you hear every speech today. the most important thing, stop being scared. use your voice and let's support our senator gillibrand on the issues that she is fighting with. be brave. [cheering]
12:55 pm
>> please welcome lgbtq activist rights blau and trans activist tonya walker. [cheering] >> hello everybody. before i start i want you -- i'm going to say president and i want you to say gillibrand. can you say that? loud asou to do it as you can. i'm going to say it now. president -- >> gillibrand. >> president >> gillibrand. >> thank you.
12:56 pm
i'm happy to stand here today and i feel privileged. i'm standing on the shoulders of people like marcia p johnson, andia rivera, miss major activists like kiera st. james activists iwerful did not mention who help make it better for trans people today. a proud black transgender woman. i know 45 hates women. as soon as i identified a woman is a step down in society and as soon as i identified as transgender i was targeted by the trump administration. honorablyo be in discharged veteran. i served my country.
12:57 pm
people who did not serve their country should not have the right to say who can go in our military. i'm angry about that. i am the cofounder of the new york transgender advocacy group. i'm appalled at the direction our country is going in. i faced discrimination many times in my life after coming out in the 1990's. once i was run off the college of staten island campus after protesting for a judge who was an out lesbian. she was running for attorney general of new york and after that i knew i wanted to live in a country that does not discriminate on the basis of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, gender, or age. what we need right now is a president who understands human
12:58 pm
rights. especially, when it comes to transgender, gender nonconforming, and non-binary folks. a president who has a track record of standing up against genocidal policies put in place by the trump administration. i want to see someone elected as president who is unafraid to stand up and bring us closer to lgbtq equity and equality. a true champion, who will create policies that will keep us safe from blatant housing discrimination, educational discrimination, and health care. president, you say gillibrand. president -- >> gillibrand. >> president -- >> gillibrand. >> thank
12:59 pm
>> good afternoon. my name is gabriel. father, son of an immigrant. -- youto speak to my son are born into a country in turmoil. you are growing up in a state, the great state of new york, the port to freedom, home of the suffragettes of seneca falls, the home of the transgender women and gay men who fought back at stonewall. you are growing up in the greatest city in the world, and
1:00 pm
at times the worst ways for some of us to ever live. you are growing up in a country that has never been perfect and has never stopped trying. you are growing up in a place that believes in hope, a place that believes in freedom, and a place that believes in you. time whening up in a our family still seems new to so many. man withwere born, a the same skin tone as you was elected president. as you grew up, you watched the world change around you. learnedned to read, you to see and understand what was happening in the world. ourwatched the politics of nation changed and the work of your fathers change.
1:01 pm
to you are watching your senator gillibrand run for president of the united states. [applause] , when i am not with you, i am fighting for you. when i was your age, i thought i would be dead by the time i was 40. when i was your age, i thought i would have to hide forever. when i was your age, i watched a president and his staff laugh at the idea of trying to save man from hiv and aids. world, country, and children and to the people ensureght for this to that our fight never ends.
1:02 pm
the industriousness, creativity, and bravery of new yorkers help free the country once again. we are every color. religion.ry race and we are every political view. but most of all, we are people who are willing to listen, to learn, to work together, to ask ourselves what did we know then and what do we know now, and how can be -- can we make what we do better in the future? [applause] toshould not be called brave walk down the street holding my son,band's hand, but your father and i did not hold hands in the subway. it should not a brave to come out as we really are in the
1:03 pm
, but, my son, tonya is brave. [applause] it should not be brave to stand up to fight for sensible gun control. to sayld not be brave all young people deserve to be in safe schools. sayhould not be brave to that the health of a human being is a central value of our country. it should not be called brave to be a woman running for president. children and your children's children will look back and say -- what was so radical about that? when they do, we won't know that we have succeeded. [applause] is brave.llibrand she stood up to and don't ask
1:04 pm
don't tell. she stood up on gun issues and was willing to listen and learn. [applause] she stood up to help me and your father get married. this is what new york is about. this is what bravery is. senator gillibrand represents .ll of us and whether we agree or not with any politician, it is brave to stand up. it is brave to learn, and it is brave to teach and brave to ask
1:05 pm
questions and it is brave to put your arms around people in pain and around people who don't always agree with you and to say, together, we can breathe brave. we can make this a country we all want to live in. [applause] thank you very much. announcer: ladies and gentlemen, assaultelcome sexual activist andrea. andrea: hello, new york. to tell you what i have learnt about bravery throughout my life. braveryt learn about from presidents or scholars or textbooks who told the story of powerful men.
1:06 pm
i lived it with my grandmother by leaving cuba to fight for a better life in america. she raised each of her siblings when she was a child and by sending wages back to the island in hopes of reuniting her entire family and america one day. she questioned -- what she brave enough to do it, even in the face of poverty and no education, she was bravery personified. .or her, it was simple she knew she was the only one who could fight for her family. when i was 20 years old, i survived a sexual assault as a college student. i sat alone in my dorm room trying to understand what happened to me. before i called it rape, i questioned what i had done to deserve it. before i called it violence, i asked was it bad enough.
1:07 pm
sexual assault was not in the headlines what i learned to many of my friends had similar stories. my university and no other university in america was handling it like it had to be handled, like a national epidemic. at the time, my school did not take me seriously because people like me didn't belong in the rooms where decisions were made. i was a girl who found herself rating about title ix, wondering , mi brave enough to take on believe every student in this country deserves the education we were promised. i had to fight to defend that right without a lawyer or anyone guiding me. i filed a title ix complaint against my university because i believe surviving rape should never be a condition for graduation. [applause] hi new we survivors could start a movement and i knew our
1:08 pm
movement needed supports. in the midst of my college finals, i took a bus to washington, d.c. and met with a senator from new york leading the fight against military sexual assault. i had never spoken to a u.s. senator before, but as soon as christian gillibrand heard my story, she said i believe you and i want to fight alongside you. even though i wasn't her constituent and even though i didn't work for a powerful organization or even have a college degree yet, senator gillibrand believed in me and believe there were no better people equipped to handle sexual assaults than those who had survived it. she saw in me the power of everyday bravery. it is a difficult time to be brave in america. it is a difficult time to be brave as a woman, a queer woman, latina, and a survivor of sexual
1:09 pm
assault when everyone of my identities is under constant attack every day by a man who celebrates his own abuses. years since in the rachel shared her truth before an all all-male panel to tell the world the details of her abuse at the hands of clarence thomas. it has been a most 50 years and herrcia johnson ancestors led the first pride protest here in new york city. it has been over 50 years since grandmother gave me the opportunity to come here. it is a gift from our ancestors and it is everyday bravery by heroes like us that make this country great. [applause] i stand here today to tell you that it doesn't matter if you're
1:10 pm
fight is against the university, the supreme court justice, or the president. if you have any doubt you are not brave enough to fight it, i am here to tell you what senator gillibrand has taught me. we are all brave enough to fight. [applause] i am proud to be here to tell you there's no candidate more prepared to a power the american people than your senator. women andught for lgbtq people, survivors, immigrants, workers, and every american that there's to have in america that serves all of us. has flockhartrand fight since her first day and will continue to fight for the grandmothera my believed in, i believe income, and we should all believe in. i am ready to be led by a leader
1:11 pm
that chooses to be brave against all odds. kirsten gillibrand, our future president of the united states. ♪ ♪
1:12 pm
announcer: ladies and gentlemen, please welcome activist connie britton. [applause] connie: welcome new york. you look beautiful. thank you everybody for coming out. one, american
1:13 pm
privilege, our right to vote. for all this, someone had to fight and fight hard and suffer adly so that we can walk into polling place and cast our votes for democracy. [applause] connie: and so we vote, at least we better. i don't know about you, but sometimes i am thinking, how do i know who to vote for? you can do is know the candidates and who they are and figure out what they stand for and then hope they mean. -- mean it. and then you cast your vote and hope for the best. that is what i have been doing all these years.
1:14 pm
it is pretty unusual to know the person. i find myself anywhere position of knowing the person, my friend , who is running for president. [applause] connie: that is so crazy, right? isn't.ly do, i know her like i could have predicted it. if i looked backwards and connect the dots, i could've seen it was obvious this could, .hould happen she always had what it would take to be president. [applause] women, we would
1:15 pm
never have allowed ourselves to dream that. friend is event my running for president, i want everyone to know her like i do. so you will be hearing from me about kirsten gillibrand. be as honest with you as i can and i will share my ley asences as holy -- who i can because the time is now for integrity, in america and in the presidency. [applause] connie: our story starts a long time ago. with a younglege woman who we called tina.
1:16 pm
we decided to study chinese and we found ourselves as roommates in beijing, china. fairly sheltered virginia girl, communist china in the 1980's, was a rude awakening. this was a time when everyone was wearing -- suits and everyone was riding bicycles. at the beginning of our summer term, all of the students went to buy bikes. i remember being struck by the buying thee felt bikes that we would only use for short months when the chinese had to save for years to buy a bicycle. it was a thrill to write a bike in beijing, china could also
1:17 pm
somewhat harrowing as the streets were jammed with icicles with no regulation. the group -- we grew -- jammed with bicycles with no regulation. we grew more that summer. i had not seen bravery like that. bikesy we were out on our far from campus and out of nowhere a monsoon came up. i don't know how we figured out where we were going back in those days, but when that storm came up, i remember how narrow the roads were and how confusing and with flooding rain how impossible it was to see. and at risk for losing each other. but kirsten took the lead and
1:18 pm
let us do the winding streets and because we could not see each other, she started singing. singing,on we were all which helped to alleviate the fear and keep us together. resetting although it back to campus with kirsten as our guide and leader. by the time we made it back, the sky was clear and the sun came out. she may have been as scared as we were but she never let her fear get into the way. even as a student in a foreign country navigating a rainstorm, she was a leader and she was unrelenting, and she was cheerful. this is how she addresses the smallest problems in the mountainous issues.
1:19 pm
there is no variation in her determination. our country is in a storm right now. we have lost our way and it is so hard to see the path out to the bright light of the sun. what i think about her in that storm with her strength, i remember how comforting and assuring and uplifting for all of us to know that we could be that brave. years later, i found myself in a personal storm when i was adopting my son from ethiopia. was closing its adoption program and he had a medical issue that needed attention and i needed to get him home. i called kirsten at the time and she was in the office of passing and the health bill
1:20 pm
repeal of don't ask don't tell, and advocating for equal pay for women. [applause] she alsond yet i knew was an activist for international orphans. home,lped me bring my son as she had done so many trying to address the millions of orphans abandoned around the world by creating loving families here at home. her dedication to suggest to my son, but to your son and your daughters and to you. she will stand with you and fight with you and every family in this country as if it were her own. i have never seen someone were committed to service then kirsten is. [applause] do all knowing her as i
1:21 pm
these years, the consistency of her conviction is clear here in she cannot be knocked down, not in front of trump was a or anywhere else. competence, and comesdness, and bravery from her unwavering core of integrity, which i can assure sinces existed in her childhood, if not birth. this is pure, this is true. her, because when she speaks she speaks with assurance, without pretense, and from a place of her own experience and knowing and empathy, and she listens. that is what we need to lead us out of the storm. [applause]
1:22 pm
connie: it is my deepest on a right now to introduce my friend, the next president of the united states -- i am crying -- kirsten gillibrand. ♪ sen. gillibrand: thank you, a connie for being a friend and actor and activist. i love you very much. i want to thank everyone who is gathered here today. .ank you for being here
1:23 pm
[applause] sen. gillibrand: is a gorgeous day and looking at this diverse crowd, there is no doubt that america is great. our declaration of independence of a conversation about how to achieve life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. our constitution was always intended to grow and adapt as we formed amore pork -- more perfect union. , josehe national anthem does the star-spangled banner get waived over the land of the oh, does that
1:24 pm
star-spangled banner get waived over the land of the brave. it challenges us to choose to take the next step, to fight the next fight, to answer the fundamental question -- will brave when? [applause] is, gillibrand: the truth brave hasn't always one. brave isn't winning right now. brave doesn't spread hate or bully the vulnerable. doesn't put greed and self-interest over millions of lives. behind walls power and lies.
1:25 pm
brave doesn't pit people against one another. that is what fear does. president has tried to reduce america to its smallest self by attacking the values and institutions of our democracy and turning our most cherished , rootings inside out for bigotry and violence and closing our door to immigrants , taking from the many to line the pockets of the few. president trump is tearing apart the moral fabric of this country. he demonizes the vulnerable and punches down. he puts his name in bold on every building. he does this because he wants
1:26 pm
you to believe he is strong. he is not. [applause] our presidentd: is a coward. that is not what we deserve. that is not what you deserve. who isrve a president brave, who will walk the fire to do what is right. a president who inspires us to stand for something greater than ourselves. look up at that tower. a shrine to greed, division, and vanity. you.look around the greater strength by far is
1:27 pm
ours. [applause] here tolibrand: we are reject the politics of fear and hate. to listen to what lincoln called our better angels of our nature. of thisthe ideals country, opportunity, equality, justice, are worth fighting for. [applause] sen. gillibrand: we are here to embrace our shared humanity and rise above our differences. we don't build walls that are .mblems of racism and fear we build bridges, communities and hope. [applause] because ourand: unity of purpose lifts us higher
1:28 pm
than any tower. today because we know that when we join together and fight for our values, brave wins. [applause] sen. gillibrand: americans prove this with their own bravery every day. you have already heard from some of them today, but there are countless more examples all around us. the high school students who responded to unimaginable tragedy by organizing marching and inspiring millions to end the epidemic of gun violence. that is brave. defiantly tell their stories and stand up for the right to call this country home. that is brave.
1:29 pm
assault survivor who raise voices against the powerful that tell them to stay silent. that is brave. [applause] millions ofand: be americans who are speaking out against this administration's towards women, muslims, t and children at our border. that is brave. and the formally well behaved women who organized, ran for office, voted in record numbers , isone in 2018, that, too brave.
1:30 pm
day in and day out, americans are making a choice. choice to resist the backward poll of this administration and pushing us toward a better future, and it is brave choices like years that have inspired me to take on the fight ". -- take on the fight that others won't. it is because i have chosen to too.ave, the people of this country deserve a president were the -- worthy of your bravery. your bravery inspires me every day, and that is why i am running for president of the united states. [applause] sen. gillibrand: thank you. by coming here today, we are
1:31 pm
-- weg a powerful message will not let anyone or anything divide us. give control of our country to corruption, greed, and powerful interests. we will keep showing up and we will keep fighting back. [applause] sen. gillibrand: the fight ahead , but there ising hope. when we looked down at our feet and see whose shoulders we stand have heroes that inspire us in this struggle. my grandmother was one of mine. she would have been proud standing here today with all of you. it she was larger than life.
1:32 pm
she was a firebrand and a democratic organizer who cursed like a sailor. she spent her life fighting for women to have a seat at the table. she never let anyone tell her that she couldn't. she never let anyone tell her that she didn't belong. she instilled that in me. else, my anything grandmother taught me that being brave doesn't mean just standing up for yourself, it means standing up for other people who need you. [applause] sen. gillibrand: and raising your voice on behalf of others who aren't being heard. it is the core principle from my grandmother that has driven my life in the public service. , i learned that bravery means standing up to the
1:33 pm
powerful and summoning the courage to confront them head on. did when i first redfor congress in a red, district in upstate new york that nobody thought i could win. for my mother, which tells you a lot about her. more cowsd me it has than democrats. you cannot win. i took the odds and i won. election, i won again. , by 24 point margin. why? because i never forgot who i served. that is why i stood up to the against the bank
1:34 pm
bailout that would leave taxpayers holding the bag, even though i was told it would end my career. it is white i stood up to corruption by making insider trading illegal for members of congress. no one in our government should be lining their pockets as a public servant. why i stood up to callousness by demanding the 9/11 heroes be given the respect, compensation, and health care they deserve. [applause] sen. gillibrand: is why i stood up to indifference and lies in anti-gun, congress, and on universities on behalf of sexual assault survivors. up towhy i said -- stood the bigotry and demanded the repeal of don't ask don't tell.
1:35 pm
a policy that has a corrosive and harmful impact that undermines not just our character but our national security. it is why i am proud to have stood up to donald trump more than any -- anyone else in the u.s. senate. [applause] will go toeand: i to toe with anyone to do the right thing. whether it is powerful institutions, the president, or even my own party. but i am not running for president because of who i am fighting against. i am running for president because i am fighting for. [applause] sen. gillibrand: i am fighting
1:36 pm
for an america where our leaders fight for the country and not for weakness of ego but strength of character. [applause] where compassion --sen. compassion andre integrity define our government, not self interest and corruption , where we just don't care about the profits we make today but the future we are leaving to our grandchildren. america, can be that but it means of starting at the root of our problems, greed. the special interests are displacing the voices of the people of this country. so-called unsolvable problem, and i will point to the greed and corruption.
1:37 pm
the little profits take precedence over drinking water. opioid manufacturers get a pass and set of indictments they deserve while our neighbors are drugs on addictive popularthe nra stops commonsense gun reform while stray bullets kill our children in our communities. money is atntable the heart of this outrageous in action. we need to crack open government and flip the switch and let light flood in. [applause] sen. gillibrand: that is exactly what i did when i came to washington and challenged congress i'm making my meetings, finances, and texas public. i wanted my can stick -- and taxes public. i wanted my constituents to
1:38 pm
know. i will lead transparency in my own office in my campaign. not taking i am corporate pack money in this campaign. [applause] sen. gillibrand: no federal lobbyist honey and no individual super pac. fight fornt, i will publicly funded elections. it would change the way washington works overnight. imagine just for a minute your voice just as loud as the coat others. och brothers. by leveling the playing field, our democracy will thrive. we will protect against the dysfunction that is poisoning washington right now. as president i will be into to
1:39 pm
you and you alone. i will elevate the concerns that you would raise at a town hall or at her kitchen table. i will govern based on the principle that our democracy only works when elected leaders hear directly from you. then can we finally start making progress on the problems we face. our goals are ambitious, but the truth is, they are not controversial. americans across party lines ideas. these commonsense it is time for this country to make quality affordable health care a right and not a privilege. we must pass medicare for all. this since myfor
1:40 pm
in 2006.t house race we have a plan to get from our current system to single-payer and i know because i helped to write it. competition, get costs down, eliminate the greed. an education, it is time to pre-ktee universal affordable day care, and high-quality public education for every kid. for every kid in america, no matter what block they grow up on. [applause] we must makend: higher education affordable and accessible for everyone and reduce the crush of student debt. government should not be making money off the backs of our students. in my administration, we would refinance all federal student
1:41 pm
debt to the lowest available rate. here is the big idea -- let's improve and expand the g.i. bill to make college free for anyone who agrees to do national public service. [applause] sen. gillibrand: that way, our young people can pursue their dreams debt free while helping others. class, wee middle need to start rewarding work again. employment afull national priority by investing in free job training through not-for-profit, community colleges, and state schools. we will work with employees -- employers to connect workers with the training, skills, and
1:42 pm
jobs available in their communities in the field of their interest. rights under attack more than ever, we need to protect the right to collectively bargain and form unions. we need to fight right to work ourlet's do right by workers and raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour nationwide. we have to transform the infrastructure of work by finally making national paid leave a reality. it is outrageous that we are the only industrialized country in the world without it. you should never have to risk your job and income to take care , a sick family
1:43 pm
member, or your own medical needs. choicee to accept the between your paycheck and your family. [applause] sen. gillibrand: i have led this fight in congress since 2013. it was not part of our national conversation. >> thank you. sen. gillibrand: you're welcome. -- paidwhen i say this leave, equal pay, and affordable day care are not just women's issues. , onesare economic issues that will determine whether or not our country succeeds. [applause] sen. gillibrand: has the same time, we need to dismantle the institutional racism that pervades our society and holds back millions of families. ,t is in our health care
1:44 pm
education, economic, and criminal justice systems. it is in the growing crisis of 's maternal mortality . it is in the disparity that keeps black men in prison for years, one white-collar criminals go home on bail. the wealth gap between communities of color and white communities that only widens and generation to generation. challenges call for solutions, both targeted and broad, like higher standards through eternity care, national commitment to full employment, postal banking, ending cash they'll. -- bail, and legalizing marijuana. [applause]
1:45 pm
sen. gillibrand: we need to restore our moral leadership in the world and we must secure our borders effectively and fight terrorism relentlessly. -- let's be very clear racism and fear is not a national security strategy. [applause] wallgillibrand: building a , ripping apart families, banning muslims and turning our backs on refugees and asylum seekers isn't just wrong, it makes us less safe. repair our relationship with our allies and stop funding over our adversaries. fawning over our adversaries.
1:46 pm
we need to make americans more prosperous and more secure. always treat military force as a last resort. end to these an endless wars. america's commander in chief is not a dictator, and the decision to deploy our troops can never be made lightly or unilaterally without congress. protect the integrity of our elections by holding accountable any threats to our democracy from abroad or right here at home. this just got higher on friday. the robert mueller report must be made public. [applause] sen. gillibrand: all of it.
1:47 pm
, not eventhis country the president, is above the law or immune from accountability. often that i agree with richard nixon, that he was right to say that the american people have a right to know whether the president is a crook. [applause] sen. gillibrand: and finally, we need to treat global climate change like the existential threat that it is. we need to pass the green new deal. our generations moonshot, addressing a global
1:48 pm
challenge of this urgency will take massive effort and transformational vision, which is exactly why we should do it. let's invest in our crumbling infrastructure, create sustainable green jobs, and protect clean air and clean water as a human universal right. [applause] sen. gillibrand: i would like to go further than others who support this plan. i would also put a price on carbon. carbon tot a price on use market forces, to steer companies away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable energy. this.'t afford not to do .e don't have time to waste john f. kennedy said he wanted
1:49 pm
to put a man on the moon in the next 10 years, not because it is easy but because it is hard. i believe we should look at the book lighting -- global climate change the same way. we should aspire to net zero carbon emissions in the next 10 years, not because it is easy but because it is hard. it is a challenge that we are willing to accept. it is one where unwilling to postpone and one that we will win. [applause] none of thesed: big fights and equally big goals will be easy. nothing worth fighting for ever has been. never backed down from the fight and i am not about to start now. [applause]
1:50 pm
my faith tells: me to care for the least among us, feet and close the poor, help the stranger, the sick, and the incarcerated. are all called to be the light of the world, to defeat the darkness and to treat others the way you want to be treated. i am running for president to fix it has been broken, to and toour moral fabric, rebuild the common bond between us as americans. [applause] fight isibrand: this so much bigger than any one election. it is about making a choice and deciding who we are and who we are going to be.
1:51 pm
all, america is and always will be the home of the brave. [applause] sen. gillibrand: the matter how ,ifficult the course before us , thetter how dark the hour lessons of our history is that justice, fairness, and truth are possible, but only if we are willing to put everything we have on the line to achieve it. [applause] sen. gillibrand: so each one of .s has a choice today will we defend this democracy? seek for what we believe in? and feareject the hate and greed and corruption?
1:52 pm
with every fiber of our being because everything we care about is at stake? will we be brave? you already answered that question just by being here today. , if you areith me ready to fight and take on this fight with me, join my campaign. go to my website and contribute to help power this movement forward. [applause] i believe in my bones that we can do this. , weow that years from now inl look back on this moment history and we will be able to say that we did something about it.
1:53 pm
we stood up, locked arms, and proved to america and the world that when people come together to drive out the darkness, hope rises, fear loses, and brave the winds. you, and god bless you all and god bless america. ♪
1:54 pm
1:55 pm
♪ i do my hair toss, check my nails baby how you doing? hair toss, check my nails baby how you feeling? [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org]
1:56 pm
♪ ♪
1:57 pm
1:58 pm
♪ don't buy me a drink, i make my money don't touch my weave, don't call me "honey." i don't need a man to be holding me too tight i'm just having fun with my ladies here tonight
1:59 pm
. ♪ ♪
2:00 pm
2:01 pm
2:02 pm
2:03 pm
>> out road to the white house coverage of senator gillibrand o'rear tonight on c-span at around 1:00 a.m. eastern time. you can watch any time you like at c-span.org or listen on the free c-span radio app. this platforms have all the presidential announcements by other announced white house candidates. attorney general william barr and deputy attorney general brock rosenstein are reviewing
2:04 pm
the contents of the mueller report and working on a summary for congress that could be released later today. the report was the topic of the sunday news programs and reaction first from the chairman of the house judiciary committee, jerrold nadler of new york. else will try everything first. if we have to, yes, we will issue subpoenas. >> you are willing to take that all the way to the supreme court? >> absolutely. we are already hearing the president may want to claim executive privilege. he has no right to claim executive privilege on any evidence of wrongdoing. you cannot shield evidence of wrongdoing. that was made very clear by the 9-0 decision of the supreme court in the nixon case. even though those tapes were personal conversations.
2:05 pm
executive privilege cannot be used to shield wrongdoing. >> how long are you going to give the justice department that turned it over? >> i can't give you a specific answer. >> days, weeks, months? >> it will not be months. >> you heard my interview with your chairman. you basically are he intends to keep investigating not only other issues but investigating collusion, obstruction of justice, all the issues the special counsel was looking at. >> that is all they have. we have seen in the first few months they don't have a policy agenda. agenda forn 2020. they think they can go into the committee and have a limited budget, unlimited staffing go against the investigation that lasted 22 months, unlimited subpoena power and plenty of investigators and they think they can find something more than what they did. i think they are simply mistaken. >> he told the san francisco
2:06 pm
chronicle there is no bombshell, no impeachment. does no new indictments qualify as a bombshell? >> not necessarily. as he pointed out, they can't indict the president. that is their policy and therefore there can be overwhelming evidence on the obstruction issue. i don't know that is the case, but if there was overwhelming evidence on criminality on the president's part, think congress would need to consider that remedy if indictments is for close. it is too early to make those judgments. we need to see the report and i think we will all have a factual basis to discuss what this means for the american people, what risks are we running with this president, can what steps congress needs to take to protect the country. those judgments are impossible to make. >> he said there was no collusion. have come on this show to say there is not any collusion. yet, sunday after sunday, adam schiff, jerry nadler and others
2:07 pm
said there is evidence, collision, and what we find is an independent investigator said there will be no indictments. you can't have it both ways. i have been consistent saying this president did not collude and now it appears the facts support that. >> we don't know what is in this report yet. that is very important. >> i do know there is no indictments. we do know that. if there was collusion, either bob mueller decided not to actually prosecute somebody with evidence being there, which i find hard to believe that that would happen. >> we are focused on mr. mueller's report. i hope it is the public. bill barr said he will make as much public as he can with consultation with rock rosenstein and bob mueller. if thinking of .5 years under the president's leadership and i think the american people appreciate that. the central charge of the special counsel investigation
2:08 pm
was to look at collusion. there has been zero evidence . other things that have happened, people have done things wrong and they will be held accountable. that is the way it is supposed to work in this country. on this central issue, no evidence whatsoever. >> i think the mueller investigation went on far too long. i think bob mueller made a serious mistake when he brought together the team of investigators and lawyers and selected so many partisan democrats who had been longtime democratic donors. i think that was unfortunate. by doing that it undermined the credibility and impartiality of the special counsel's office. that being said -- go ahead. >> would you go as far as the president has and calling it a witch hunt? >> i will leave that language to the president. concerned it may have become a fishing expedition. we will see when we see the
2:09 pm
report. i do think it is striking the early indications are there are no further indictments, which not a as you pointed out, single person was indicted for colluding with the russians to influence the 2016 election. if that is right, there are no indictments for collusion with the russians, that is good news for the american people. those were serious charges when they were raised two years ago. if the special counsel concluded there is not evidence that occurred, that would be good news. tv with three giant overextended government supported service called pbs. 1979, viewers decide all of their own what was important to them. c-span open the doors to washington policymaking. bringing your unfiltered content from congress and beyond. in the age of power to the people, this was true people
2:10 pm
power. in the 40 years since the landscape has clearly changed. there is no monolithic media. broadcasting has given way to narrow casting. c-span's idea is more relevant today than ever. no government money supports c-span. it's nonpartisan coverage is a public service from your cable or satellite provider. c-spanvision and online, is are unfiltered view of government see you can make up your own mind. on wednesday, president trump visited the lima army tank plant in ohio. he talked about military equipment production, unemployment and the economy, the fight against isis and trade talks with china, mexico and canada.

13 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on