Skip to main content

tv   Campaign 2020 Joe Biden in Mason City Iowa  CSPAN  December 4, 2019 2:19am-3:24am EST

2:19 am
now available at the c-span online store. including our all-new campaign 2020 t-shirts. hats.hirts, and go to c-span store.org and browse all our products. next, democratic presidential candidate joe biden campaigns in iowa with his wife jill. from mason city, this is one hour. hour. [applause] mr. biden: thank you, senator. thank you, thank you, thank you. thank you, thank you, thank you. thank you. you are very gracious. thank you. thank you, thank you, thank you.
2:20 am
i told the senator, i said, i know you have eyes in the back of your head. my mother had them. every damn thing i did, she caught me doing. [laughter] mr. biden: well, it's so great to see you all. what a wonderful, wonderful crowd. you know, let me begin by just saying, stating the obvious. every four years, democracy begins in iowa. it's not hyperbole. democracy begins in iowa. you are the ones that have the starting gun. you're the ones that decide and have a significant impact on who is likely to be the nominee in the democratic party. and for that matter, republican party, when there is not an incumbent president. and it matters a lot, because of the values you all bring to the process are real. i want to talk a little bit today about values. you know, folks, i'm running for -- i decided -- jill and i decided we are going to -- we're
2:21 am
going to run this time for three basic reasons. most important one was is, we have to literally, not figuratively, restore the soul of this country. we're in trouble. we're in trouble. [applause] mr. biden: the way our national government is acting now is not who we are. it doesn't reflect who america is. the way the president speaks of his opponents, the way the president speaks of his -- the people who should be our opponents, the thugs like kim jong-un and other dictators around the world, the way he pokes his finger in the eye of our allies and our friends for years and years. the way he characterizes people who have any deficiency at all, any physical ailment. the way he talks about people that disagree with him is not how we are raised. not how any of you were raised in this town, in this community,
2:22 am
in this county. not how jill and i were raised at home. not a joke, think about it. our children are listening. our children are listening to what's going on. and it has an impact. when presidents speak, no matter who the president is, no matter who it is, people listen. the president can, by his or her words, raise or collapse markets out there. a president by their words can send brave women and men to war. they can bring peace, but they can also breathe oxygen to the hatred that exists in small amounts, that lives under the rocks out there in america. the history of america has not been a fairy tale. we have gone through periods where we have had folks and circumstances that allow people to demagogue and blame whatever the problem they think they have on the other. it's always the other. the other. a guy that's become a good friend of mine, john meechan,
2:23 am
wrote a book about the soul of america. and he had a chapter in the book that talks about how back in 1925 you had over 32,000, i believe the number he gives, people, the ku klux klan and their pointed hats marching down the streets in washington dc. because then it wasn't about african-americans, it was about catholics after world war i who were in fact decimated, were leaving coming to the united states of america, we were going to have the degrading of christianity because of those catholics coming from eastern europe and italy and other places. and he points out what it took then and every other time we had to confront this kind of -- this kind of demagoguery, is it took everybody standing up. all faiths. all parties. all leaders. people standing up and saying not here. this is the united states of america. it's not what you fought for.
2:24 am
it's not what you fought for as a united states marine. i am not being melodramatic. it is not. it is about we the people, in order to form a more perfect union. or we hold these truths to be self-evident. it sounds corny. but that's why the people look to the united states of america. we are the most powerful nation in the history of the world. that is not hyperbole. our warriors are the finest warriors that have ever, ever lived on this earth, but that's not why we have been able to lead the world. necessary, but not sufficient. we've led the world by the example, our example, the power of our example. that's why the rest of the world looks up to us. that is why we have been able to unite, keep the peace for the last 70 years through nato and other organizations that we put together. and folks, the rest of the world is wondering about us. you know, if you look at that national polling data -- that international polling data that goes on about -- i think it's
2:25 am
the pew poll, that goes out and looks at where we stand in -- we are the most respected nations in the world. we are just behind china and just ahead of russia. think about that for a second. you say, what difference does that make? we are not running a popularity contest. but we are. we are. as former secretary of state said, the essential nation, we genuinely are. we are the outfit that holds things together. and here at home, did you ever think you'd see a time, coming out of the civil rights movement, i never thought i'd, i come from the state that has the eighth largest black state in -- population in america. i love reading these biographies of me. biden knew he was going to run for president. blah, blah, blah. i was just a kid. just got engaged. it just got me, it motivated me
2:26 am
in a way i never thought would happen. but because of the presidency that existed. but, folks, i never thought i'd see in 2017, as a sitting vice president, then out of office, coming out of the streets of, in charlottesville, people coming out of the fields carrying torches, contorted faces. i mean, screaming anti-semitic bile that the same bile that was hollered and screamed and chanted in germany before world war ii began accompanied by the ku klux klan. white supremacists. a young woman gets killed. she was protesting. the president gets asked, what do you think, mr. president? and he says something no president has ever said. he said, there were very fine people on both sides. folks, we got a lot at stake here, a lot going on.
2:27 am
in order to get about the business that we have to do to increase the quality and economic opportunity in the united states, we have to get rid of this administration. we have to get to restore the -- to begin to restore the essence of who america is. the second reason i'm running is because we have to restore, we have to rebuild the backbone of this country. the backbone of the country has always been, always been hardworking, working class and middle-class people. the middle class built this country. wall street didn't build the country. they are not bad, per se, but they didn't build america. people that built america are the people in the neighborhoods i come from and people here in mason city and that's not a joke. think about it. how we are all raised. we are all raised the same way, basically. different emphasis, but if you work hard, you play by the rules, you can do anything.
2:28 am
no matter what your background is, no matter what your zip code was, no matter where you came from, you can do anything given half a chance. well, that's not happening now. middle class in america is getting clobbered. we're no longer the wealthiest middle class in the world for the first time in the lifetime of anybody in this room. secondly, you have well over half the american people who are in the middle class thinking their children will never have the standard of living as high as theirs. there's never been so much, how can i say it? not depression. so much anxiety. since probably the great depression about the future, what's going to happen, what's going to happen. and we have to rebuild the middle class. this time bring everybody along. we have to build, we have to rebuild the middle class in small towns and rural america, in the small towns and in rural america. not just rebuild the middle class so that in fact what
2:29 am
happens is you raise your children and they decide they have to leave to go have an opportunity somewhere else. we have to build it here. here. in the parts of my state, the towns of 10,000, 20,000, 30,000 people, in towns of 3,000, 4,000, 5,000 people, so people have a reason to stay, because you all are, it sounds like a little bit of hyperbole. you are the moral center of the country. you know, we all say, y'all talk about american values and midwestern values and middle-class values but it's true. it's who we are. it's who we are. and folks, the third thing we have to do, we have to unite this country. i know a lot of the folks who are seeking nomination don't think that's possible. they are very good people, by the way. all the people i'm running with and we are running with one
2:30 am
another, they are good, decent, honorable people. but the fact is, a lot of them think there's no way to unite the country, no way to bring us together because things have changed. if you watch any of those debates which are really not debates, they are 60-second assertions we make -- [laughter] and that's no candidate's fault. it's just the nature of having 10, 12, 90 people on a stage. [laughter] but look, the fact is that if you think about it, if you think about it, unless we pull the country together again, we got a real problem. the way our rules are set up, the way our constitution is set up, you have to be able to reach consensus. or you don't get anything done. it just results in the abuse of power if you don't get consensus. the president says, well, no one's acting so i have the right to act. that's not right for a democrat or a republican. and folks, you know, the
2:31 am
american people, i think, are ready. look, look how we're even getting divided based on urban and rural now. why should someone who lives in a skyscraper in new york city or in los angeles have any more or less of an opportunity, why do we have to choose between that and someone living on a farm in this county? but that's how we're kind of making it out these days. look at the split. you read all that, those opinion pieces in the press. the great divide between urban america and rural america. there's no reason for it. that didn't always exist. all these differences but never existed the way it does now. and folks, we got to change it. and the way to start to change it, and i am going to get right to it and not keep you long here. the way to change it is that
2:32 am
your children and your grandchildren growing up in mason city in this county should be able to be in a position that when they grow up, they can choose that they're going to stay, raise their families right here in mason city and in the rural counties around surrounded -- surrounding you. but it's getting harder and harder to do, isn't it? i remember as a kid, we used to take the iowa test. remember the iowa test? no, i mean it. you had the best education system in the country and you were thought to have the best education system in the country. but what's happening? what's happening? so folks, let me get right to it. i think, you think about all the things i want to do and others want to do, is to have a health care system that in fact provides for everyone, everyone
2:33 am
having access to health care, everybody. well, i think there's a way to do that. the way is to build on obamacare. the proudest, one of the proudest moments i had as vice president is helping the president get every democrat we needed, which is not all that easy to do initially, all the, come on up. come on. how are you doing? meet my campaign manager. [laughter] [applause] what's your name deck of -- what's your name? thank you. thank you. it was a gigantic change. we made sure there were hundreds of thousands of kids and people with pre-existing conditions could be covered, they get insurance, can afford it. 20 million people that didn't have insurance before are covered. we can go on, but the point i'm making is this. now is time to build on that.
2:34 am
do what barack and i wanted to do the first time out, add a public option, medicare option, significantly reduce the price of drugs by setting up a board that in fact sets the price of those drugs like they do in other countries. put in a position where you are going to increase the subsidies to buy into what will become, god willing, biden-care, obama, -- bidencare, obamacare aside. we can do it. it costs a lot of money over 10 years but allows you to keep your insurance if you negotiated an insurance policy that your employer set up. you don't have to give it up. but if you want to, you can buy into a plan where you have no more than $1,000 deductible. you can afford it. if you can't afford it, you can automatically join a medicare plan that exists within this problem. -- this public option. but here's the point. it doesn't cost $35 trillion. [laughter]
2:35 am
but we can do it. we can do it. think about what happens in rural america. my state is rural, by the way. everybody thinks that delaware is a big urban state. the largest town is 85 thousand, next largest town is 20000 and everything below that. guess what? if you don't have access to good teachers, don't have access, and you do, don't have access to a good education, it's getting tougher. we're losing. we already are about 150,000 -- that's the president calling me. just put him through. [laughter] he always does that. he wants to know what i want him to do. [applause] do me a favor. he's with nato right now. tell him don't keep screwing it up, ok. tell him to, ok. all right. anyway. i guess i shouldn't kid so much. anyway.
2:36 am
i'm violating my own rule. never criticize the president whenever he's abroad. i can't wait until he gets home. anyway. [laughter] but anyway, look, if we don't do something about making sure teachers' salaries are more competitive, we're going to be down 500,000 to 700,000 teachers in the next generation. [applause] they get paid a lot less. there's answers. there's things called title 1 schools, schools in districts that don't have a lot of money. doesn't matter what their background is, it's not based on race or, it's based on income of the community. well, a lot of rural communities don't, they're title 1 schools. right now what we do, we spend a total of $15 billion yearly for all those schools to subsidize them. if we triple that to $45 billion a year and by the way, just eliminated a couple incredibly lucrative tax cuts this
2:37 am
president has put forward for the top 0.1%, we can pay for all this. anyway, the point is, if we do that, what we're going to be able to do is make sure that every single child no matter what their background is can start school, not daycare, school at age 3, 4, and 5. the studies at one university here in this state show the following. a child with that opportunity has an exponentially greater chance of succeeding all the way through high school. staying out of trouble. being able to do well. it's a gigantic impact for them because they will catch up quickly. we're going to be able to make sure teachers get paid a competitive salary. that's what they have to do with the money first because teachers, as they graduate from iowa state or university of iowa or anywhere else around here, what happens? they graduate and they make 27% less than any other graduate coming out of the same school with a different degree.
2:38 am
and it sounds corny. it's not just because i'd be sleeping alone if i didn't share this view. [laughter] you think i'm kidding, don't you? no. teaching is not what jill does, it's who she is. my point is this. we are in an incredible position. teachers are the most important people we have. they are the, these aren't somebody else's kids. they are all our kids. they're the kite strings that lift our national ambitions to -- national ambitions aloft. as jill says all the time, any country that outeducates us is going to outcompete us. it's just that simple. not a joke. does anybody think it's possible in 2020 or 2030 or 2040 to be in the middle class with 12 years of education alone?
2:39 am
it's not, things are changing so rapidly. don't have to have a college degree but you may have to have a certificate. you may have to have an apprenticeship that you can move through quickly. you may have to go to community college. we can afford these things. i can make sure that every single solitary person qualified for a community college can go for free, including those who are older, who have lost their jobs because of, because of artificial intelligence, because of the changes that's taking place to come back and be retrained as hard as it is. we've lost over 200,000 sales jobs in america. average age of the person losing a job, 49. average salary, $50,000. why? not bad. not because somebody is evil. but amazon came along. everybody, i am not going to ask you but how many buy online for christmas? again, i am not saying it's bad. guess what's happened? you got an awful lot, many of
2:40 am
you have gone through it like my dad did. all of a sudden you've been doing well, you've been able to provide for your family, all or half the income, and all of a sudden you have no job and you're 50 years old. what do you do? we have to understand that every other major technological change is taking place in the history of america we have not only provided for the technology, we've provided for options for people who get put out of place because of the technology. we're not doing it. there's so many things available to us. and folks, i think the best comment i ever heard, the most honest comment i ever heard president trump use, remember, right after he got elected, the press will rightly correct me on this. i hope they'll help me on this one to get it right. i think it was about two months after he was elected he said, you know, this job is harder than running a real estate
2:41 am
empire. i was like, ok. [laughter] but he said it. i didn't think he was serious. it's harder than running a real estate empire. well, i guess so. i guess so. but here's the thing. look what's happening in rural america under his policies. farming. this trade war is devastating. it's devastating not only to agriculture but manufacturing. i saw someone had a john deere hat on. john deere has a problem right now. people are getting laid off. what about the automobile industry? i take great pride in being one of the architects of putting it back on its feet because i was the automobile guy in the administration. in our administration. the president did it. but i was the guy who was pushing it. well, look what's happened now? the trade war he's engaged in are all the wrong wars, and now i read this morning he's about
2:42 am
to go after latin america now. south america now. ok. but all the things that really matter he's not doing anything about. the thing that matters is, china, we're still the largest economy in the world, but china is so darn big we make up 25% of the world's economy. if in fact we join with the other 25% of our allies, we can make china play by the rules they don't get to play for real, not a joke. not a joke. only way to get their attention, because they break the rules. not so much on agriculture, but they break the rules on stealing intellectual property. they break the rules on cybersecurity. they break the rules on dumping steel. they break the rules on a lot of things. but guess what, look what's happening in asia now? japan and south korea aren't getting along anymore.
2:43 am
we are in position where north korea is gaining footing. australia is not sure what to do because that goliath above them, china, is just leaning down on them. folks, there's no way with no policies. the reason i'm talking about -- i know i am the foreign policy guy. but that's not why i am talking about it. i am talking about it because as direct immediate economic impact -- it has direct immediate economic impact is at home. at home. imagine if we invest in our own people? but here's the last thing i want to say and maybe the most important thing. tom vilsack, who is -- you know -- the people that know you really well, you can never be a hero, but this is one of the smartest guys i've worked with. not a joke. he was secretary of agriculture. when the president gave me authority to handle issues over foreign and domestic policy, not because, look.
2:44 am
no president can handle all the, everything that lands on his desk, by himself. it's getting too complicated. you have to have a vice president that you can have the confidence to turn over a chunk of the responsibility and turn over presidential responsibility. when the president gave me authority, he gave me presidential authority. i only did about 20% of what he did, but the things he gave me, i did. from the cancer moon shot to dealing with the recovery act and a number of other things. and allowed me to go out and pick out anybody i wanted to in the administration to work on what i wanted them to work on. i held almost as many cabinet meetings as the president did. just because of the specific responsibilities i had. my go-to guy through the whole thing, not a joke, was tom vilsack. he was the go-to guy. so when i wanted to refine my agricultural policy and rural policy, i sat down with the secretary of agriculture.
2:45 am
and here's the deal, and i'll conclude with this. the future of this country lies in large part in rural america. it's not hyperbole. not only are you in a position to be able to continue to provide the food and fiber for the country, but more than that now. when global warming, you are going to become the go-to sector of the economy. we should be paying rural america and farmers to grow crops with deeper roots. why? absorb carbon from the air. we should significantly increase tom harkin's conservation program, significantly increasing the number of acres put aside and pay farmers to do that because it becomes a carbon sink like amazon, takes the carbon out of the air. it moves us toward net zero emissions. we should be taking, like we do in my state of delaware, because we, we have a large agriculture
2:46 am
economy in the delmarva peninsula, it's between a $4 billion and $5 billion a year industry. it's chickens. broiler chickens. take a look at it. and here's the deal. it has some side effects. they are environmentally dangerous. like you have out here with cattle. it's called -- and pigs. it's called manure. well, guess what, we have the technology now to be able to go out and pelletize this. take the methane out of it. use it for energy and sell the pellets, but what that's going to do, you know what it's going to do, it's going to provide every 20, 30 miles new high-tech industries that are there to do this. cleanly and efficiently. ethanol. look what he's done to ethanol. he's chosen the oil companies over the farmers. we set this process going. you all ended up in a
2:47 am
circumstance where you go, and those ethanol plants, you end up, they are not making $10 an hour, they are making $45 an hour. they're growing an economy. and what's happening now? but all the future, so they lost so many things. you are going to see, i promise you, you are going to see, especially if i get elected, you are going to see billions of dollars invested in rural america for the sake of urban america. this is a place where you become, again, the answer for people around the country. and i really mean it. the future is incredibly bright. but we got to invest. we got to invest. i look over at my wife and she is giving me this, meaning, cut, you are going on too long and she's right, dead right. she's written -- she's always right. i am jill's husband. but, look, the point is if
2:48 am
you're interested in this, i've laid out in detail my rural america policy. but the bottom line is, i'm committed to restoring the promise of the middle class in rural america to stay in rural america. because, again, if we lose the essence and the ethic of rural america, we lose part of america's soul. we really do. it's about who we are, how we're raised. and folks, if we take a look at it and just look down the road here a little bit, i know that when i got elected as a 29-year-old kid to the united states senate, i'm the first senator i ever really knew. [laughter] you all think i'm kidding. i'm not. [laughter] i swear to god. i didn't realize i kept going over to get an assignment from the majority leader, nobody gets an assignment. no senator is ever assigned
2:49 am
anything by anybody. but i showed up every tuesday at 2:00 to my assignment from senator mansfield. folks, i am optimistic. i am more optimistic than i've ever been in my entire career because, folks, you know, i have a lot of experience. quite frankly, it's the reason i'm running, because i think my experience can help us get to the place we have to go. we have to have someone elected president that knows how to get things done, has done big things, passed big pieces of legislation, been able to work across the aisle and produce outcomes like i was able to do on cancer and able to do on research and a whole range of things. the violence against women act. because that's critically important. the second reason i'm running is the next president, in addition, they are going to find a divided nation and going to find a world in disarray. and that president, on the day they're elected and sworn in on
2:50 am
january 20 has to assume the world stage. without any, and no time for on-the-job training. not a joke. it's not every year, not every presidential race requires that. but today it does. today it does. and i have virtually met every single major world leader and i know most of them by their first names and even the bad guys i know and they know i know them and they know me. it's not confrontation. it's real simple. president obama used to always kid me. i'd say to him all the time, remember, mr. president, all politics is personal. by that i mean, if i want to get something with you, whether you -- get something done with you, whether you are a good guy, bad guy, i have to know who you are, what the core of you is, and you have to know i know who you are. putin knows i know who he is. not a joke. the good guys. because america's word matters. when a president stands before
2:51 am
the world and says something, our friends have to know and our foes have to know that that's the commitment america's made. and so, folks, the reason i'm optimistic is take a look at who we are. we're all walking around with our heads down like, whoa, what are we going to do? god, things are so terrible. we have the largest economy in the history of the world and we'll continue to be that if in fact we invest in our people. i've not met one world leader , including xi jinping, because the president wanted me to get to know him knowing he would be the next president of china, traveled 17,000 miles with him. had dinner with him. they tell me 24, 25 hours of private dinners. i would have an interpreter whisper in my ear. he had one whisper in his ear. by the way, my interpreter turned in their notes. [applause]
2:52 am
but folks, he changed places with the president of the united states in a heartbeat. china has great potential. my god, the problems they have there are overwhelming. they don't have enough water. they're talking about a trillion-dollar project to turn rivers around to make them flow north so people can have enough water to drink. it's not a good thing. it's not good. i am not happy they're having that problem. they find themselves in a position where a significant portion of land, somewhere estimates between 30% and 45% of their landed is -- their land is pretty -- polluted and can't produce crops. they have a million muslim, uighurs in the west in re-education camps, better known as concentration camps. you see what's happening in hong kong today. you see what's happened in the region. they have problems that makes ours pale in comparison. we have to invest in our own people, though.
2:53 am
secondly, we have the greatest research universities in all the world. we have more great research universities in state in this nation than all the rest of the world combined. every major new life changing, altering thing that comes out of those research universities, monetized, monetized by business, but you own them. you own them. our people. we have the best educated scientists in the world. we're on the verge of being able to change cancer as we know it. deal with alzheimer's if we invest in it. make significant changes. so it's time to remember who we are. this is the united states of america. so it's time to get up. lift our heads up, and let's take back this country and do what john mccain wanted us to do. thank you for listening. thank you for having me.
2:54 am
let me introduce to you the better half of my family, dr. jill biden. [applause] dr. biden: thank you. thank you, joe. so they tell me i am the closer. [laughter] mr. biden: you are. dr. biden: so in 62 days, iowa has a choice to make. but just for a moment i want to take you into the future. i want to take you past the caucus, past the election and into the next year, the next november. it's 2021. so it's a beautiful morning like this morning in iowa and you wake up and like joe and i did this morning, we had our morning coffee. and then you pick up your
2:55 am
morning paper and the headline isn't about some late night tweet storm. [applause] instead, it's about our children, america's children who will benefit from universal pre-k. it's about how the teachers in this country are finally going to get a raise. you read about investing in wind technology and green technology that is going to create jobs right here in iowa. and then, like we did this morning, you turn on the television and the anchors aren't talking about how we are on the brink of some ill-advised war. talking aboutare how we are going to build on the affordable care act with a
2:56 am
public option and bring down prescription drug prices. and - [applause] and they're reporting that finally, finally someone is standing up to the n.r.a. and keeping our kids and our schools safe! [applause] and when they turn to the president of the united states, you don't turn the channel. [applause] you call in your kids from the other room because you want them to hear what the president of the united states has to say. a commander in chief you can trust. a leader who brings people together instead of tearing families apart like we've seen at the border of this country.
2:57 am
a president you can feel proud of, who believes that our best days are ahead of us, and there's only one candidate who can get us to the future. there's only one candidate who can bring people together in this divided time, and there's only one candidate who can take on trump in states like pennsylvania and ohio and wisconsin and michigan and that person is my husband, joe biden! [cheers and applause] but iowa, he can't do it without you.
2:58 am
62 days. 62 days, not that i'm counting - [laughter] so i've been traveling around this state and i have to tell you a true story. so they have me making phone calls to people as i travel, and they say, i'll call somebody and say, well, susan, you know, who are you supporting? do you think you could support my husband because this is what he believes in and i explain it and they say, well, jill, i don't know. because i have only met your husband three times. [laughter] and i've met senator x seven times. do you think joe could come to our house for dinner? and it's the spouse of a candidate. it hurts my feelings like, what, are you kidding? you haven't made up your mind yet? so now is the time. it's today. today.
2:59 am
you must commit because i know you're busy. i know you have lots to do. it's the holiday season. you're making your list. so on your list, where you have written, decide who i'm going to commit for, cross it off because today you're going to commit to joe biden! [cheers and applause] so, you know, i want to say thank you. i know that you all are busy. i know this is a busy time, but i want to say thank you, because you all are so committed. it starts today. it starts here. it starts with your commitment to my husband, and do we have educators in this -- yes. lots of educators. ok. those educators, i know who you
3:00 am
are, and i want you to be our precinct captains because you are organized. you have a strategy. you have a teacher voice to bring people together and get them to caucus. so i want our teachers to be our precinct captains. and i want to thank you, all of you, each and every one of you for being here today and thank you for your faith in an idea that's bigger than any one of build a better nation if we do this together. so thank you for being here for joe biden! [cheers and applause] ♪
3:01 am
[music playing: jackie keeps liftinglove mr. biden: nice to see you. thank you so much.
3:02 am
thank you. thank you. what's your name? nice to meet you. thank you so much. thank you. >> [indiscernible] >> thank you. mr. biden: what's your name you can -- what's your name? it's nice to see you. >> [indiscernible]
3:03 am
mr. biden: you want a picture? is there a camera? >> can you get a picture? >> [indiscernible] that's what i think. mr. biden: did i get it right? you still remember me? my brother died of pancreatic cancer.
3:04 am
mr. biden: all right, we got it. we look alike. >> i get it all the time. biden: you look better than i do, man. >> thank you. >> hi. >> [indiscernible] mr. biden: what is your name? oh, you're kidding me? oh, my lord. >> nobody can afford to buy a
3:05 am
tractor. production has gone way down. mr. biden: get a photo of us and we'll get it to you. >> hey joe. ralph mcgwire. mr. biden: how you doing? >> you know my friend? mr. biden: yes, yes. >> i never met her before until the other day. that's a wonderful gal. let's get one with that -- let's get one with this john deere hat on. mr. biden: i have my own john deere hat. >> they are doing voluntary [indiscernible] nobody can afford --
3:06 am
[indiscernible] mr. biden: let's take one with you with the hat on. thank you. >> we're former railroaders. we are retired. >> [indiscernible] mr. biden: let's get a quick picture. got it yet -- got it? >> yeah, i got it. mr. biden: all right.
3:07 am
>> [indiscernible] >> nice meeting you. >> we're union workers. working on the railroad. mr. biden: i'm union. >> you are a real american. >> what you've done for the rural community is -- john deere, nobody wants to buy $500,000 tractors anymore. voluntary furlough. mr. biden: thank you, man. >> my son-in-law is a temp worker. >> i'm from west virginia. [indiscernible] >> my husband's sick.
3:08 am
[indiscernible] these guys, they believe in what you do. >> [indiscernible] biden: if we don't, one year from now, [indiscernible] it is going to cost
3:09 am
[indiscernible] >> they are the ones that built us. [indiscernible] there was a tweet sent out about a nickel back show while [indiscernible] when you become president [indiscernible] biden: what i would like to do -- >> they said you can't. mr. biden: i can. [indiscernible] >> [indiscernible]
3:10 am
>> you are an incredible guy. [indiscernible] i was trying to get in a hospital in delaware and [indiscernible] need for theat we country. mr. biden: do you have a number where we can get back to them? >> thank you. biden: what is your name? >> my name is carol. i wanted to let you know how much i admire you.
3:11 am
i know you've been through great loss. you inspire me. [indiscernible] mr. biden: would you like a picture? >> i'd love a picture. mr. biden: ready? >> oh, there we go. mr. biden: thank you. >> thank you, joe. ♪ >> thank you for everything. biden: it is ok. it is ok. >> [indiscernible] mr. biden: keep the faith.
3:12 am
>> it is awesome to meet you. thank you for coming here. i really appreciate that. [indiscernible] mr. biden: what is your name? >> my name is laurie. >> [indiscernible] biden: we can do it. >> we are excited about this. could i get a picture? sure. i can get a picture with both of you. >> how am i going to do this? thank you. i appreciate that you remember me. >> can i get a photo? mr. biden: of course you can.
3:13 am
>> [indiscernible] >> i wanted to talk to you [indiscernible] mr. biden: there we go. there you go. that should work. >> [indiscernible]
3:14 am
mr. biden: one more time, ok? here we go. there we go, we have two of them. >> thank you. >> joe, i am a 74-year-old farmer, bill olson. we don't need the tariffs, we don't need this administration. quitting. my dad used to say [indiscernible] i'm not joking when i say we have a chance to [indiscernible] >> god love you. do you mind if i get a photo?
3:15 am
how are you? how are you? a photo of the three of us, the four of us? there we go. what's your name? >> my name is erica. mr. biden: tell me about you. >> i am a usc grad from north carolina. mr. biden: you are kidding. god love you. great school. joe, my name is ted. mr. biden: how are you? >> very good. mr. biden: [indiscernible] in first place. >> we need you. mr. biden: thank you. >> would you like to take a picture? mr. biden: i would love to take a picture. this guy is with trump so we won't let him know. there we go. >> thank you. >> thank you. mr. biden: thank you.
3:16 am
man, how are you? >> i'm doing good. thanks for coming to this county. mr. biden: thank you for coming. you are the one who went out of your way to come. what is your name? >> my name is larry. i just retired from building winnebago motor homes. have you driven a winnebago? mr. biden: yes. >> i used to work there. mr. biden: god love you. thank you, man. would you like a picture? >> sure. mr. biden: [indiscernible] got it? >> thank you. >> i am [indiscernible]
3:17 am
it's such a pleasure to meet you. mr. biden: [indiscernible] real. how are you doing? >> [indiscernible] we just came back from washington dc, our son is a major in air force. mr. biden: is he really get a god love him, my son was a major in the army. god love him. >> can we get a picture? ok. thank you. good luck. and god speed. mr. biden: thank you.
3:18 am
>> [indiscernible] in 2008. mr. biden: you look like you have a bunch of them. how are you doing? >> i am good. [indiscernible] you.iden: i will do it for tell me about you. old.just turned 40 years mr. biden: [indiscernible] -- i work for the [indiscernible]
3:19 am
and do other stuff like that. the state of iowa since 2005, yeah. mr. biden: take a look at our plan and tell us what you think. >> thank you for coming to iowa. thank you for all of your service, for many years. mr. biden: thank you. >> have a wonderful day. thank you for the selfie. can you get a photo of the three of us? .r. biden: come on >> i will look like i am photobombing. mr. biden: thank you. i appreciate it. >> i waited 12 years to shake your hand. when you were back here in 2008, i got a foot behind you and you took off in the other direction. mr. biden: thank you, thank you, thank you.
3:20 am
>> i am voting for joe biden. mr. biden: thank you. me too. god love you, thank you. >> i am in the air force. mr. biden: i tell you what. you have your blue angels and the other air force guys. racee 2020 presidential has one less candidate as kamala harris is suspending her campaign. a first rate
3:21 am
candidate. competitor.al she is a solid person. loaded with talent. >> would you consider her for vp? >> other candidates are reacting on twitter. deval patrick says, i hope she prosperousand career in politics. i look forward to working with her. michael bloomberg says, she perspectives and to the race.
3:22 am
castro, i am so thankful for her friendship and candidacy in this race. d she will keep fighting for an amierca where everyone counts. at work on are hard candidatesthey wish would address. idea?orking on an we have resources on our website. information to guide you throug the process.
3:23 am
entries must be 2020.ed by january 20, >> you are never too young to have an opinion. tuesday, the house intelligence committee president's report on trump and ukrain. the schiff discussed report.

12 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on