Skip to main content
Internet Archive's 25th Anniversary Logo

tv   The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur  Current  July 19, 2012 7:00pm-8:00pm PDT

7:00 pm
us. dan quayle. we don't ever want him for president. thank you all for joining us here in "the war room." have a great night! >> cenk: amazing interview between sean hannity and george zimmerman. it shows what failures they both are. hannity put on a clinic of what you're not supposed to do as a journalist. >> was that the punch in the nose that broke your nose? >> yes. >> wanted him -- you wanted to stop him from hitting your head on the cement. >> yes sir. he started slamming my head into the concrete. >> which is where the lacerations came from. >> yes sir. >> cenk: hannity desperately tried to help zimmerman but it didn't work. wait until you see all of the tapes! we'll talk about portugal. they tried something crazy about ten years ago. >> this woman is smoking heroin.
7:01 pm
in most of the world it is a crime. but here in portugal, she could be sent to prison for it. >> cenk: did it work? we'll tell you the numbers. they are startling. what happened in portugal. don't miss that story. and then did you know mitt romney still has a ton of money inaiai and that bainn o oss companies ke thiss one? >> to go into everything from cars to refrigerators. >> our employees all contributed to that. >> cenk: those employees are about to get fired! they're about to get outsourced. two of them are going to come on this program and to try to talk mitt romney out of doing it. can he influence the company where he has all of the money not to fire the american workers? that's on tonight's show and it is go time!
7:02 pm
>> cenk: sean hannity just put on a clinic at fox news for how you're not supposed to do an interview in the press with someone who's charged with a crime. now normally you're supposed to challenge your guest, have a conversation with your guest and try to illicit information that people didn't know. what sean hannity did instead was he tried to help his guest make his case. listen to this compilation we put together, how much he leads george zimmerman in an effort to help george zimmerman. watch. >> your gun was legal. you had a legal weapon in the state of florida. because they said, you know, could we meet you here at a certain location. you said have them call me. >> yes. >> at that point trayvon is -- all have a -- all of a sudden, you turned around. >> he asked what my problem was. >> was that the punch in the nose that broke your nose? >> yes sir.
7:03 pm
>> you wanted to stop him from hitting your head on the cement. >> yes sir. he started slamming my head into the concrete. >> which is where the lacerations came from. >> yes sir. >> how many times would you estimate he punched you? >> several. more than a dozen. >> and hitting you hard? you said to the police at one point he put his hand over your mouth. do you think that was to silence you from screaming? >> yes sir. >> are you that confident that you had a right to do this? >> it's did -- >> yes sir. >> my god. george zimmerman if trayvon was the bad guy. he punched you so many times right. he used curse words at you didn't he? i hear you george. that's such a great case, george. my god! this is beyond just having an opinion and doing an opinion show! i've never seen anything like this in my life!
7:04 pm
as much as hannity tried to help zimmerman, it didn't work. look at the obvious lies by zimmerman. >> who said that all of a sudden you saw somebody who looked suspicious, he may be on drugs. that was one of the earlier the 911 call. what made you think he was suspicious and what made you think he might be on drugs? >> i felt like he was suspicious because it was raining, he was in between houses, cutting in between houses and he was walking very leisurely for the weather. >> cenk: are you kidding me? walking leisurely gets you shot these days? what a horrible excuse! i thought he was suspicious because it was raining. if he had run, you would have said he was suspicious. he walks leisurely you say he is suspicious. this is a terrible mistake to let him go on air. this guy is not bright to begin with but his excuses are so sad and pathetic. look at the next one. >> then we get to the issue
7:05 pm
where you said on the 911 call that he's running. maybe he was afraid he didn't know who you were. >> no. >> why do you think he was running then? >> maybe i said running but he was more -- >> you said he was running. >> yes. like skipping, going away quickly. but he wasn't running out of fear. >> cenk: these are the world's worst lies! he was skipping? he was skipping? i know the defense told you hey, listen, if it seems like he's running away from you you're not going to have a self-defense case so let's make up that he was skipping? now look, before i was angry at the cops because they should have arrested this guy. you leave it up to the trial to see what's going to happen. if he hadn't testified, he might have gotten away with it. i don't know if he plans to testify in court but now they can show this in court. which jury looks at that and believes this guy? but then hannity is not done. he has to pour more salt into
7:06 pm
the national wounds so that's about zimmerman and trayvon. now he's going to talk more about race and let's try to figure out who he thinks is at fault here. >> spike lee is tweeting out what he thinks is your home address, the reverend al sharpton and nbc news tries to use this case to bring up the issue of racial profiling. what do you say to spike lee who didn't know the facts of the case and then revealed -- what do you say to al sharpton and those who rushed to judgment? what do you think their motives were? >> i can't guess to what their motives are. i would just ask for an apology. i mean if i did something that was wrong, i would apologize. >> cenk: no, no, no, no! you wouldn't! you didn't apologize for months after you shot an unarmed teenager in the chest and killed him! and now you're going to come on here and say you would apologize? you're the victim? now george zimmerman is the victim. who is at fault?
7:07 pm
spike lee and al sharpton. can i see a pattern there? this is disgusting! and then there was accusations that sean hannity might have paid -- or offered to pay for zimmerman's defense. in fact we talked about it on his show because there was very good evidence of it. hannity uses the interview to make it about himself and asks about that issue as well. >> we did have conversations you and i, i was asking you about the case. >> yes sir. >> i was asking you for an interview. >> yes sir. >> to be able to report, suggesting that i offered to pay your legal fees. >> never happened. >> never happened. >> i was asking you for an interview. >> cenk: first of all, don't laugh during this interview. you're talking about a kid that got shot. don't laugh. second of all sharpton, guilty. spike lee guilty. all of those guys, guilty. sean hannity innocent. we haven't got tonight worst part yet. do you regret anything you did. get a load of this lowsome answer!
7:08 pm
>> is there anything you regret -- do you regret getting out of the car to follow trayvon that night? >> no, sir. >> do you regret that you had a gun that night? >> no, sir. >> do you feel you wouldn't be here for this interview if you didn't have that gun? >> no, sir. >> you feel you would not be here. >> i feel that it was all god's plan and for me to second guess it or judge it -- >> cenk: so it is not his fault. it is sharpton's fault. it is trayvon's fault and now it is god's fault. it was god's plan that he shot and killed. no no, it was your fault! you're the one who chased him. you're the one who killed him! god, that was disgusting. you don't regret any of it? why don't you just say hey, i should have stayed at home. i should have stayed at home. i'm sorry. but no he doesn't regret any of it because apparently he was god's executioner. now i know exactly how i feel about george zimmerman. linda kenney baden is an
7:09 pm
attorney that does civil and criminal defense. she's a former criminal prosecutor. linda has been on the program many times to talk about this case. linda, first thing i want to ask you about is why the defense did this right? and this morning during a production meeting here as we were talking about the show, i said look, these guys, this is terrible for their defense. but they're going to raise a lot of money. i wonder if it was financial interest. and if that's a conflict of interest. then mark o'mara came out later today and admitted it. we don't have it. but he did. >> i believe you cenk. i read it in the media. >> cenk: he said the timing was not the best but quite honestly it was out of need and necessity. the family defense fund is basically broke, okay. so he's admitting right there yeah, we did it for the money. isn't that a huge conflict of interest for the attorney who is supposed to be representing his client? >> it is amazing. i don't understand it! of course it is. if you give advice to your
7:10 pm
client who is charged with murder not driving while intoxicated, to go on national media because you're broke and because if you get money in the defense fund, maybe you'll get paid? that's of course a conflict of i don't care what you think about george zimmerman. i obviously think he's guilty of a crime. other people do not. but i do believe people should at least have some semblance of good representation. this is like a disaster! we talked last week about the hearing and now we have this. i don't understand it and somebody is going to wise up eventually and file some charges, i think here. >> cenk: the money that is raised goes directly to the lawyers so even whether they win or lose, they get paid so they benefit from this interview but their client doesn't necessarily benefit because he looked like an idiot honestly. have you ever seen a defense attorney do as good a job of leading a witness as sean hannity did with zimmerman there? >> i actually liked some of sean's questions because he did ask him what happened during
7:11 pm
that minute. zimmerman, hum hum blah, blah, it was -- the prosecutors had to be sitting home. they must have had a party last night! because this was such a great piece of evidence for the prosecution and then today cenk they added to it because the defense had set up an interview with barbara walters not a lightweight in the tv media, to try to get george zimmerman's side. she walked out of the interview because they demanded some type of payment through hotel rooms to give the interview. wait a second! i think people are getting their law degrees out of crackerjack boxes and this defendant better pack his toothbrush because this is not good. >> cenk: one more question for you, linda. can the prosecutors get these tapes? this is the edited version that makes zimmerman look the best if you can believe it. can they get the unedited tapes from fox news. >> interesting question. if they exist they may be able to get them. the shield law doesn't protect them but i'll bet you they do not exist. one other thing the defense attorney or defense attorney had
7:12 pm
to be smart enough at least to say look, i'll do the interview if you get rid of the tapes. a little birdie tells me they don't exist anymore. can you imagine what the outtakes are like? >> cenk: that's really interesting. so you think they might have burned the tapes already? >> i think -- i think they're gone. show me the money don't show me the tapes. >> cenk: wow. really interesting. linda kenney baden, thank you so much for joining us. really appreciate it. >> thank you. >> cenk: when we come back, did you know that mitt romney has -- it looks like about $60 million still in bain capital. he's supposed to have a blind trust but even i know where his money is. and that bain capital the company is about to fire 170 american workers. can we stop them? we'll come back and we'll find out. >> all against a move that will ship the company's production to china. >> to have them pick it up, saying they can make the same product cheaper is disturbing because we are profitable.
7:13 pm
7:14 pm
admitted that that look, we were able to keep a lot of the folks because of the stimulus. >> bill: absolutely. again, do you great work, judd. thank you. all of your colleagues at think progress. we'll see you again next
7:15 pm
>>(narrator) the sheriff of wall street. >>the leadership of high finance just doesn't get it. >>(narrator) the former governor of new york, eliot spitzer is on current tv. >>somebody somewhere can listen, record, track, gather this data. >>arrangements were made. >>(narrator) independent unflinching. >>there is a wild west quality to it that permits them to do whatever they wish. >>(narrator) and above all politically direct. >>facts are stubborn things. >> cenk: all right. we're back. and bain capital it turns out owns a company called sinsada with a company in freeport, illinois. it is a good thing. they went public in 2010. in fact, here is a report explaining how well the plant is doing a little bit. >> jeffrey is one of 173
7:16 pm
freeport sensata workers could be out of a job by this december. dozens of his coworkers are packing into a local restaurant to show they're all against a move that will ship the company's production to china. >> to have them pick it up and say that they can make the same product cheaper and make more money is disturbing. because we are profitable. >> cenk: all right well that clip was supposed to show you that the ceo is happy with the company. as you just found out oops, somebody's not happy with the company. the 170 workers they're about to fire in illinois and ship their jobs overseas to. give you a sense of how happy the ceo is, he made $4.5 million last year. in fact, they sold $569 million of shares when they opened in 2010 so it is not like they're not making money. they're making a ton of money they just want to make a little bit more so the workers in illinois happen to be a little expendable. well, who is involved in bain? anybody know? anybody? oh right, mitt romney. wait a minute. that was in the past. he doesn't run bain now.
7:17 pm
that's true. he doesn't. did you know he's got $7.8 million in eight different bain funds that collectively hold 51% of sensata's shares. so they're the owner of sensata and romney has $8 million in those specific funds that owns that specific company. so romney is part owner here, right? so maybe he can do something about it. or at least is an investor in the company. well, i hear from mitt romney that bigod the most -- by god the most important thing to him is american jobs. >> what i'm going to do is focus my attention on getting americans back to work. >> it is a tragedy when people are out of work for a long period of time. my job is to get americans back to work. if i'm president of the united states, i will work to bring back your jobs. >> cenk: i'm going to bring jobs back to america except the 170 guys i'm about to get fired.
7:18 pm
>> he's got between $18 and $60 million in bain. i thought this was a blind trust. what is blind about it? it is a seeing dog trust. he knows where it is and it is going to fire these guys. by the way when asked about it, of course, the spokesperson for their campaign, amanda said governor romney is not familiar with this issue and has not been involved in the management of bain since 1999. now, of course, he makes millions of dollars off of it. but there's nothing i can do. i just cash the checks, baby. you get fired i cash the checks. but i really care about american jobs! well, we're going to bring on two people here that work at that factory. cheryl has been an employee for 33 years and mary jo ker who has been with them for six years. cheryl, let me start with you. so what's happening here? when sensata took over the
7:19 pm
factory or the new ownership came in, what did they tell you guys? >> they welcomed us -- within three minutes they told us our jobs would be outsourced to china, malaysia and mexico. >> cenk: that doesn't sound like a pleasant first meeting. now, when are you going to be let go by? what's the end date here? >> the very last date would be december 31st but most of us will be out by the first part of november. >> cenk: mary jo, what do you guys want mitt romney to do? >> we basically want mitt romney to come here and explain to us why he's campaigning to create jobs when his company is pushing them all over the world. >> cenk: mitt romney says to the press i got nothing to do with it. i don't run bain. i just make millions of dollars off of it but i don't run it. i can't tell them what to do.
7:20 pm
if the sensata ceo wants to make $4 million instead of $3 million, how would you respond to that? >> he's got buddies -- pick up the phone and call and say help me save these jobs so i could look better and maybe become president. >> cenk: hey maybe if they're worried about the profits, mitt romney could cover it and -- if he cares deeply about american jobs and a company he makes millions of dollars off of it, it would be an interesting way to go. so, you know, i want to ask you guys personally, mary jo, when they let you go, if it comes to fruition, what are you going to do next? >> the only thing i can do is go back to school. there's nothing here for me or my coworkers. there's nothing that we can do to make enough money to support
7:21 pm
our families. i have five people in my family. i have three small children that i have to take care of and it is going to be left on my husband to support us all. the only thing i can do is go to school and get a better education to get a better job. >> cenk: cheryl, you've been working there for 33 years. what are you going to do? >> i have to go back to school because i'm a single parent and there's only one choice. other than if i want to drive to another factory like 40 miles away one way trip. but i'll be going back to school off the government. the only bad part about that is they're now dictating what we can and cannot take in classes to retrain. even though they've taken our jobs to china now they're going to tell us what we can train for, too. >> cenk: it is getting so desperate, where are the jobs? they're in china. i wonder if people will start moving to china. >> long commute but might have to do it. >> cenk: would be a long
7:22 pm
commute indeed. cheryl and mary jo, thanks for coming on and telling your story. best of luck to you guys. >> thanks. >> cenk: all right. now when we come back, hey how about we decriminalize all drugs. >> this is the right way. treating addicts as patients, not criminals, removing the stigma of addiction. >> cenk: is it the right way? we have the numbers for you. you can find out for yourself. we'll share them with you. and later in the program josh malina well-known actor from west wing is doing something very interesting. first, let's watch. >> i may be late for the game here but what is walking? >> walking. we do it all the time. >> are we doing it now? >> look at this, friends. >> and guess what. his new role, if you will, is trying to live on food stamps for a month and -- i'm sorry for a week. there is what he bought. could he do it?
7:23 pm
that's a really interesting experiment. i want to talk to him about how much you could buy for
7:24 pm
when a carpet is clean and fresh, it's irresistible. experience this in your home with resolve deep clean powder. its moist powder penetrates deep, removing three times more dirt than vacuuming alone while also neutralizing odors at their source. it's a clean you can see smell, and really enjoy. resolve deep clean powder. don't just vacuum clean, resolve clean.
7:25 pm
tt >> cenk: on july 1 of 2001, the country of portugal decided let's do a crazy experiment. let's decriminalize not just marijuana but also cocaine heroin, every kind of drug. now, of course here in the u.s., we would say that's nuts! it could explode in terms of drug addiction rising. first, let's look at a bbc report about portugal. >> this woman is smoking heroin. in most of the world it is a crime but here in portugal, there's no way she would be sent to prison for it.
7:26 pm
because in july 2001 portugal decreed that the purchase, possession and use of any previously illegal substance would no longer be a criminal offense. those caught with drugs for personal use are sent to local dissation commissions panels of experts who can issue fines but generally encourage users to get clean. >> cenk: you europeans. you're not going to dissuade people from becoming drug addicts. they're so soft. al jazeera had a report on what's happening and how they treat drug addicts in portugal. watch. >> health workers travel in these vans around lisbon helping more than 1,000 addicts every day. giving out methadone clean needles and medical advice. there is political consensus in portugal that this is the right way. treating addicts as patients, not criminals removing the
7:27 pm
stigma of addiction. >> cenk: europe is so weak. they're doing treatment. no no, we're tough here in the u.s. we do war on drugs. president obama, are you going to reconsider it? >> i don't mind debate around issues of decriminalization. i personally don't agree that that's a solution to the problem. >> cenk: no. definitely not a solution to the problem! so when portugal tried to crazy experiment, obviously it was an enormous failure. wait. wait -- nope, it actually worked? no get out of here? you got numbers? let me see the numbers. what? look at this. 2001 drug addiction down 50%. drug-related hi cases down 75%! i thought there would be more drug addicts. there's less. the appreciate was a complete -- the experiment was a complete success. the war on drugs is a complete failure.
7:28 pm
let me show you the numbers on that. so when you look at 2009, we had 1.6 million people in prison for drugs. four out of five are on possession charges. that's an insane number of people we arrested for doing drugs like alcohol. can you imagine if we arrested everybody? oh, right, we did try that. it was a total failure as well when we did prohibition on alcohol. let me see the next number for you guys. u.s.a. 5% of the world population. 25% of the inmates. we're number one! half are drug-related. look at all of these people we're lock up on drugs. what a total dismal failure. give me more numbers. actually first let's go to a report on the global commission on drug policy. former reagan administration officials, paul volcker they said the global war on drugs has failed. vast expenditures like criminalization and repressive measures directed at producers traffickers and consumer of illegal drugs have clearly
7:29 pm
failed to effectively curtail supply or consumption. it is a failure! how clear do we have to be? one more number. apparently all of this not clear enough for you? we have spent a trillion dollars on this drug war! a trillion! how stupid are we? we have more drug addicts less money. we have more prisoners. stop it already! all right. now we're going to bring in glen greenwald here, an expert because he's written about the portugal experiment. in fact, with a libertarian cato institute which is interesting. glenn, great to have you on. we're thinking of you giving you a nickname, too. as we do with frequent guests. i'm thinking watch dog with gg at the end. think about it. >> i'm good with that. >> cenk: all right. talk to me about portugal. why did drug usage go down rather than up when they went to decriminalize?
7:30 pm
>> well, it is interesting. portugal actually had one of the worst drug problems throughout all of the 1990s. they had a particular problem with heroin addiction and they found that the more that they criminalized, the more they tried to throw people in prison for it, the more money they threw at prosecutions, the worse the problem became. it was really out of an act of desperation that they turned to decriminalization. they put together this panel of experts and asked them what would be the best policy for arresting this problem and they said decriminalization and they did it in 2001. there are two main reasons why it has worked so well. it is counterintuitive. people think you decriminalize people would use more. the opposite is true. the two big reasons are if you criminalize drug usage and possession and put people into prison for using drugs what you're essentially doing is you create this wall of fear around the government and the communities where drug use is most prevalent so people look at the government as the force that's going to throw them in
7:31 pm
prison which means you can't reach them with education programs, you can't offer them counseling services, you can't really do anything because they're petrified of you because you become their jailers. it makes any effort on the part of the state to help people who are addicts to get off drugs. and the second big reason is that if you throw all of your money away, prosecuting and arresting and imprisoning people who are using drugs or who are addicted and break up families and turning them into felons and making them unemployable which is all of the things we do and that portugal is doing, you have no money for anything else. when you stop putting people into prison for what is clearly a health problem it frees up huge amounts of money for things like drug counseling, methadone clinics, all sorts of ways to help people arrest the addiction that they're fighting to do educational campaigns that are effective. and it is a much healthier way of trying to address the problem of drug addiction and the proof is in the pudding in portugal where it has worked.
7:32 pm
>> cenk: glenn you touched on something that's really important. a lot of people in this country are vested in the war on drugs failing and that -- so that we create more prisoners. in fact, republic report had a great report. the top five people that gain from the anti-legalization groups. police unions because they confiscate equipment. private prisons alcohol and beer companies pharmaceutical corporations and prison guard unions. talk to me about why they all make money off of the war on drugs. >> well, just -- it is interesting, just to make one more point about portugal in relation to what you just asked me, i went to portugal in 2008 and 2009 and did a lot of field research to find out what had happened and why -- the only thing they said was the biggest impediment was that the united states constantly pressures other countries that want to experiment with different forms of drug policy not to decriminalize and threatens and bullies them in all sorts of ways. countries in latin america say
7:33 pm
the same thing. it is a huge moneymaker on the war on drugs. in particular, the prison industry in the united states is so vast, as you said in the beginning, we imprison more of our citizens by far than any country on the planet. increasingly, the prisons are becoming privatized. the way that prison corporations make money is by having more customers. namely more prisoners. so every time there's any effort to reform or liberalize drug policy, you have this army of lobbyists on behalf of the prison industry, the private prison industry, lobbying against it. in other words, they want to make sure that as many as of our fellow citizens as possible end up in cages for no reason other than the fact that they make lots of profit when that happens so it is a huge money-making industry. the military industrial complex it really is a war that we fight. it is not just a metaphor. we deploy soldiers and weaponry and all kinds of technology to stem the tide of drug trafficking that's incredibly
7:34 pm
profitable just like regular wars are. >> cenk: unfortunately the same problem we have on every issue. our politicians have been so corrupted, our government has been so corrupted by the influence of money there's so much money being made from the war on drugs they won't let us stop it no matter what the evidence is. glenn greenwald great report. we appreciate you joining us. really appreciate it. and glenn of course as you can tell from the graphic moving to salon to the guardian at the end of the month. thank you for joining us. >> thank you. appreciate it. >> cenk: now when we come back, a brilliant piece of propaganda against president obama. we'll debunk if. >> it you've got a business, you didn't build it. somebody else made that happen. >> cenk: wait until you hear the sentence before that! that's a great story! and then extreme weather. i love charts. i'm going to show you charts that will blow you away about extreme weather later in the
7:35 pm
program. >> just outside of new york city, the actual temperature yesterday was about 104 in newark new jersey. the temperature in baltimore maryland was about 107 in that direction. so it takes big storms to break the heat. >> this court has proven to be the knowing, delighted accomplice in the billionaires' purchase of our nation. >> and you think it doesn't affect you? think again.
7:36 pm
[ dennis' voice ] i bet he's got an allstate agent. they can save you up to 30% more by bundling your policies. well his dog's stupid. [ dennis' voice ] poodles are one of the world's smartest breeds. are you in good hands?
7:37 pm
[ male announcer ] peppermint that cools as you chew. stimulate your senses. 5 gum. now in micro pack. (vo) now, it's your turn. (vo) connect with the young turks with cenk uygur. >> it's go time.
7:38 pm
>> cenk: recently, president obama was giving a speech about how we should all work together and we should appreciate that we all work together for what we have here in the u.s. watch it in its proper context. >> obama: if you were successful, somebody along the way gave you some help. there was a great teacher somewhere in your life. somebody helped to create this unbelievable american system that we have that allowed you to thrive. somebody invested in roads and bridges. if you've got a business, didn't you build that. somebody else made that happen. the internet didn't get invented on its own! government research created the internet so then all of the companies could make money off the internet. [ applause ] the point is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative but
7:39 pm
also because we do things together. >> cenk: now it seems perfectly reasonable. talking about the great unbelievable american system, proud of it, et cetera. what did fox news do? they took it out of context. well you didn't build that business. wait a minute. that's not what he said. here, i have the exact quote. the one you just watched. here's what he said "somebody invested in roads and bridges. somebody invested in roads and bridges. if you've got a business, didn't you build that. referring to the roads and bridges. obviously you didn't build the roads and bridges. he said somebody else made that happen. obviously somebody else didn't your business happen. they made the roads and bridges happen. we didn't take this out of context. first sentence, second sentence. what did fox news do? they eliminate this sentence right here. they go with -- see? he thinks you didn't build your own business? now on july 16th and 17th, just two days, you know how much time they spent on it? they did 42 segments on it!
7:40 pm
they spent two hours and 19 minutes of airtime. which, in television an eternity! this is how they drive their propaganda. they're not a news organization. oh golly gee what's in the news? what could we re-emphasize over and over again until it gets into people's head whether it is a lie or not who cares. look at what their fox news is doing with it right now. watch. >> you work hard you build a successful business. don't go patting yourself on the back though. >> small business owners, guess what, the president has a new message for you. >> you've got a business, you didn't build that. somebody else made that happen. >> huh? >> ooh. >> you didn't build that? who built that. who built that business? who worked? who invested. >> if you built a small business and you made it a big success you didn't build that. >> i think it is disturbing. >> it is petty. it is meaning. it is ignore can't. it is so demeaning. it is so disheartening.
7:41 pm
>> it is so infuriating. >> it was almost an insult. >> it was an insult. >> just an insult. >> cenk: this is how they do propaganda. this is why fox news is a bunch of liars. they he know he was referring to roads and bridges and they don't give a damn. we did all build this together. we got an online business called "the young turks." you know what we would have had it the government didn't create the internet? nothing! we owe it to them. hey, jr. did you get any scholarships to go to school? >> i went to usc. i got some government scholarships. >> anna, did you get government scholarships? >> no, i happened to fine the money and i did it all by myself. >> of course i used grants. everyone needs a scholarship. you can't afford college without it. >> cenk: we drove here on government roads. i went to a hospital that gets government money. you know what happened? they saved my life. i wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the government. it is not to say that government does everything. we didn't work 15 hours a day
7:42 pm
building the business but wait a minute, you liars! he didn't say that. he said we all have to work together to make sure that we can achieve together. tell the people the truth! but then if you did, you would have to shut down all of fox news! when we come back, josh malina, actor from west wing scandol you know, he has a great idea for how you can empathize with people on welfare. >> the president -- >> not everyone knows that. >> do we have the initiative? >> what initiative? >> what initiative? it sounds important. >> then tell us what it is. >> cenk: can you live on $31.50 a literally. so they divided the production between two separate factories. each factory took a vastly different approach. left twix flowed caramel on cookie, while right twix cascaded caramel on cookie. left twix bathed in chocolate,
7:43 pm
while right twix cloaked in chocolate. both bars as different as the vastly distinct men who invented them. to this day, sharing nothing but a wrapper and an ill-designed driveway. try both and pick a side. if you have copd like i do you know how hard it can be to breathe and what that feels like. copd includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema. spiriva helps control my copd symptoms by keeping my airways open a full 24 hours. plus, it reduces copd flare-ups. spiriva is the only once-daily inhaled copd maintenance treatment that does both. and it's steroid-free. spiriva does not replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms. tell your doctor if you have kidney problems glaucoma, trouble urinating, or an enlarged prostate. these may worsen with spiriva. discuss all medicines you take, even eye drops. stop taking spiriva and seek immediate medical help if your breathing suddenly worsens your throat or tongue swells you get hives, vision changes or eye pain, or problems passing urine. other side effects include dry mouth and constipation. nothing can reverse copd.
7:44 pm
spiriva helps me breathe better. does breathing with copd weigh you down? ask your doctor if spiriva can help. in your jeep grand cherokee. and when you do, you'll be grateful for the adaptive cruise control that automatically adjusts your speed when approaching slower traffic. and for the blind spot monitoring that helps remind you that the highway might not be as desolate... ...as you thought. ♪ ♪
7:45 pm
sir... excuse me, excuse me... can i get you to sign off on the johnson case... ♪ we built this city! ♪ ♪ we built this city ♪ [ cellphone rings ] ♪ on rock & roll! ♪ falafel. yeah, yeah, i love you too. ♪ don't you remember! ♪ [ orbit trumpet plays ] don't let food hang around. clean it up with orbit! [ ding! ] fabulous! for a good clean feeling... after any meal. eat. drink. chew orbit. >> cenk: you noy what the real
7:46 pm
word is for food stamps? it is called the supplemental nutrition assistance program otherwise known as snap. it is a good program because it helps a lot of people in need. after the great recession, a lot of people were in need. here's the problem of course. in the 2012 farm bill, the republicans are planning on slashing it. the senate wants to cut $4.5 billion over ten years. the house wants to cut $16 billion over ten years. if the house version passes, two to three million people could go without food stamps. i guess they think this is too luxurious. if we weren't giving all of the tax cuts to the rich, maybe we could have this conversation. apparently the rich should get more but the neediest shouldn't get anything at all. that's the republican version of how things should go. i'm going to bring in someone who tried to live on food stamps for a whole week and see how that went. good friend, josh malina who is of course an actor. he was in a few good men west wing almost everything alan sorkin has ever created.
7:47 pm
>> he's been very good to me. >> cenk: you're in scandal which reminds me of sorkin. >> similar world. >> cenk: josh, talk to me about snap for a week. what is that? >> it is a great experiment and a challenge. the good people at mazon, an anti-hunger organization called me to see if i would do it. you spend a week trying to live on the average amount of money given to a recipient of snap which is $31.50 over the course of a week. that's about $1.50 a meal. >> cenk: wait a minute. i hear from rush limbaugh and others that people on food stamps eat luxurious. he did a segment if you're hungry why don't you go to the fridge? >> i would suggest he try this challenge. >> cenk: when you say -- $31.50? >> a buck and a half a meal. i find it hard to believe it is enough incentive for anyone want to remain a recipient of snap. it is not luxurious. having done it for a week. >> cenk: you just did it last
7:48 pm
week. so how did it go, first? >> it was difficult. and of course i also have the luxury of know hing it was an experience experiment. i knew at the end of seven days i would be back on able to eat essentially what i want. i never had to think about food more every day. first of all even leading up to it. i had to do my shop. i only had $31.50. how am i going to get through an entire week's eating on that money. >> cenk: what did you buy? >> i bought -- a lot of people who have been on snap and currently are on snap through twitter and facebook were very, very helpful. they gave me suggestions. i bought bulk rice and bulk beans and i didn't initial shop. i botched badly. a lot of people said you're a rookie. peel baby carrots? that's not going to do it. by a dollar bag of frozen vegetables. i did notice in my does not attempt to avoid being hungry, the nutrition went out the window. almost immediately. i had five apples over the course of a week.
7:49 pm
>> cenk: too expensive? >> they were too expensive. i bought a couple of bags of frozen vegetables. as i would say normally i would eat four to six servings of vegetables and fruit. on the snap diet, it was one or two. >> cenk: how hungry were you? >> for the first few days, i was not so hungry. okay. i've got a reasonable amount of food for my money. the second half of the week was not nearly as much fun. i definitely had moments where i was hungry and i knew that i didn't have much left to get through a few more days. it was difficult and i realized also having to think so much about -- if i left the house what am i going to bring with me? i had no money left to go to a restaurant. i couldn't buy a piece of pizza. i would grab a can of tuna and where am i going to open this can? the concern and the obsessive nature about -- of thinking where am i going to get my next meal, where is it going to be? >> cenk: steve, that's interesting because unless you walk in their shoes, you never
7:50 pm
would with have remembered or thought of on your own, my god i can't even go out because if i do, i can't afford any meals. >> if i don't bring food with me, i'm going to be able to get a bite to eat. it is not so easy if you're on that kind of budget. >> cenk: a lot of conservatives would say this liberal from hollywood. look at this liberal do-gooder trying to help people by walking in their shoes. how do you respond? >> one i didn't do it to pat myself on the back. i don't think i did anything noble. what i did was i opened up my own mind to experiencing what someone else goes through and anybody who would say that to me, i would say why don't you try it? i think we should ask our representatives who are going to vote on the farm bill to try it! let's pressure them all to try it. do it for one week. it is not so hard. your awareness will be raised. >> cenk: if they're going to make other people live by it, they should live by it. how do you say -- what do you say to the people who say hey look we have a huge deficit problem. cuts are going to hurt, right.
7:51 pm
but it is shared responsibility. and we gotta cut this. >> you know, like you said in the intro if we're at the same time going to cut taxes on the super rich, then i think our priorities are out of whack. we have to decide what kind of country we want to live in. it is astonishing, there are 50 million fellow citizens living in food insecurity. they're wondering or worried or concerned about where their next meal is going to come. we have to decide what kind of society we want to live in. >> cenk: josh, would you have your taxes increased now that you've been through this experience and know how much harder it is for people obviously without money to be able to live on $31.50 of food a week? >> yes. yeah. i think in order for there to be a more equitable society that's what has to happen. sure, a little more sacrifice. >> cenk: right. now if president obama winds up doing a deal in the lame duck session -- win or lose, he would
7:52 pm
still be in charge in the lame duck session. he does a so-called compromise where they cut this program. how would you feel about it? >> i would hate to see any cuts to this program. having, you know, walked a mile or maybe less than a mile because a week is pretty short. it would be misplaced priority. >> cenk: josh, look, i love that you tried this. i remember when i was more religious i would fast. god, it was so hard, right? but you could eat after the sunset. >> one day you're in, you're out. it is easy -- even in the week, i know -- it is more than it is. to have that sense day after day of wait a minute, i might be hungry three days from now. >> cenk: imagine doing that for a month or a whole year? josh, thanks for doing it and coming and sharing. >> i took a small poll. people here would like you to try it. >> cenk: me? moving on. this lib do-gooder. who let this guy on the set?
7:53 pm
"viewpoint" with eliot spitzer is next. help me out! >> eliot: we have a hard time competing. you get owl of the hollywood stars. we're out here in new york. we have to fly some in to match you night after night. we have a great show. bill mckibben, republican sanders about obstructionism today. they don't want to bring jobs home from overseas. it is insane what they're doing and of course, we'll talk a little bit about chaos in syria and new poll numbers that have shocked a lot of people. >> cenk: looking forward to it eliot. >> eliot: thank you. >> cenk: when we come back, i love charts. i'm going to show. >> chart about extreme weather that will blow you away. you might be blown away because of all of the stories. >> in new york city, an electrifying 1,000 lightning strikes in 15 minutes. in central pennsylvania, kale the size of golf balls.
7:54 pm
>>we talk a lot about the influence of money in politics. it is the defining issue of this era. the candidate with the most money, does win. this is a national crisis.
7:55 pm
7:56 pm
so, you guys grew up together. yes, since third grade... what are you lookin' at? not looking at i anything... we're not good enough for you. must be supermodels? what do you model gloves? brad, eat a snickers. why? 'cause you get a little angry when you're hungry. better? [ male announcer ] you're not you when you're hungry™. better. [ male announcer ] snickers satisfies. >> cenk: all right. now you might have realized things are getting a little hot around here. in fact, this may was the hottest may ever recorded. so that's pretty hot. you may say it is one month but you would be wrong. june marked the 327th month in a row where we exceeded the
7:57 pm
20th century average for temperature. now, let me give you a sense of scale on that. the likelihood of that happening randomly is this... 3.7 times 10 to the 99th! that is an enormous number. there is no way it happened randomly! in fact, that is a higher number than the number of stars in the universe! okay. it is not random. so now what is the result? well, let's take a look at the high records here. now cold records and hot records are supposed to be about equivalent. you see there on the corner, that's where -- where it is normally. in the 1950s it begins to be 52% record highs. look at the numbers. 2009, all of a sudden, 56% record highs versus record lows. 2010, all of a sudden, it is 70%. 2011 73%. by 2012, record highs are beating record lows 90 to
7:58 pm
7:59 pm

90 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on